Speaker 1: I'm Ali.
Speaker 2: I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that.
Speaker 1: Come with it.
Speaker 3: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 2: This is the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 4: I also know killos.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome.
Speaker 4: Okay, what were you going to say before I interrupted you? Well, what I'm going to say, I don't want to be recorded.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Okay, you can tell me after the show if you remember.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, let's talk about the Lake.
Speaker 2: We just spent a fun blast of a weekend coming where Robin and I now have a handshake.
Speaker 4: We went into it without one, and we left with one.
Speaker 2: If anybody watches Penn fifteen, it's like, this is Robin and I truly so now we have to have a handshake every time.
Speaker 1: We didn't do it just now. I theme we've got to like lock in, we need to redo that.
Speaker 2: People at the Lake were like, are you guys seriously do we have to do this?
Speaker 4: Every time, like, yeah, every time we just comes out of our room from changing.
Speaker 1: I think you might be as big of a door as I am. Yeah, maybe more more for sure. But that was so fun.
Speaker 4: It was so fun I had I was just telling my mom I think because my mom is in town this week, that I had so many moments of it was so fun and we had all these laughs, and it was a great time, and I had so many moments of being so grateful for all these women in my life. Yeah, I mean like sister friends almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was just an the reminder of the community of people around me and around us, and yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was just a really fun weekend.
Speaker 2: One thing really sweet and special about you is like I got there a day later than everyone else, and Robin made.
Speaker 1: Me feel like she could not wait for my arrival. Really, I'm getting text like how much longer? What's your nay? Are you gonna be here?
Speaker 2: Even like when I lost signal on the way there, and then when I turned my phone.
Speaker 1: On Robin, how much longer.
Speaker 4: I was ready for my bud? You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a good time. Yeah, I had a moment.
Speaker 2: Do you ever are you ever partying, and you're like, I could either I can go one of two ways with this. I can slow it down and be done and probably and go to bed and be good. Or I can just go ahead and lock in. And I chose to lock in. Yes we all did, Yeah we did.
Speaker 1: We not all of us. But oh my god, we haven't posted the choreographed dance. Is it ever going to get posted? I don't know.
Speaker 4: We all felt so confident in it at one am, when the next morning everyone's tune changed.
Speaker 2: But how about we did the shake on it that it's getting I know.
Speaker 4: We did the like hand top you know, you guys, we.
Speaker 1: Did a million takes we have to post. We did, and I still feel pretty good about it. It was definitely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a bit a bit messier the next morning, but it was. It was so fun doing it.
Speaker 1: It was really, really fun.
Speaker 2: It's like this that particular group, it's right up there alley.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like there's a few that are gonna take control of a choreographed dance totally, and then there's a few us we're just gonna for it and say tell me what to do.
Speaker 2: What's funny, you guys, is that there were two really femme girls, and then three more like Robin, Me and Melissa. I wouldn't say mask, but I would say a little bit more leaning. So we were like, Okay, who's going to be the girl?
Speaker 1: Who's gonna be? They?
Speaker 4: As long as there's boy parts and girl parts.
Speaker 1: Were in exactly. No, it was really good. It was so fun.
Speaker 2: You really took it up a notch at the end. You guys gotta see this.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be getting excited about my friend Robin and your slow linger Pretzel smoking. Pretzel smoking.
Speaker 2: Do you know that I sent it to the kids and they thought it was a real cigarette. I was like, thank god, we're clearing this up. No, it wasn't a real cigarette.
Speaker 4: Do you see smoke coming out?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I got close enough that they couldn't tell. They were like, I thought you were really smoking. Now I'm like, God, do I need a PSA? I'm not smoking.
Speaker 1: This isn't nicotine. This is not nicotine. This is a pretzel a pretzel twist.
Speaker 4: I can't I'll try to do this pretzel smoking and then I just eat it because I can't help it.
Speaker 2: You get another pretzel stick, you keep it for a while. I keep it for a minute because I don't want the carbs. But you know, I've gotten to where I do it so much. You guys little backstory. I don't know what it is, but if I'm dancing and there are pretzels, I will be smoking the pretzels. I thought everyone did this as kids, Like I thought pretzel sticks smoking was like a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I can.
Speaker 4: I feel like I did it every once in a while, just like as a joke. But you will hang on to it for I commit to the bit. Yeah, I commit to the bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but I've gotten to where now like my hands no, like this is smoking, Like I know what.
Speaker 1: It looks like. I'm really well versed at it. I can ask it. You got to commit to the bed. It's very realistic. Were like, exactly, yeah, I look like a pro.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to tell you the other night, I was hanging out with someone very special to me and we were doing a well actually, what's really great is I pulled it out this question game okay, and it's like but an intimacy question game. And she immediately was like, oh, we already like run out of things to talk about.
Speaker 1: That you have to get the questions out. I'm like, no, I just had this sitting here and I thought this would be fun, spice things up, things up a little bit.
Speaker 2: But so it comes with like three chunks of questions. You can get it like really spicy, or you can be just like in the middle, or it's like very lacky. So I thought I would ask you a couple just low key ones. These are not sexual in nature at all. These are just normal Okay, okay, First one is if I took your phone right now, what would I find?
Speaker 1: What would you be most embarrassed for me to see on there?
Speaker 4: Oh? God, I don't know. I think I'm pretty good at hiding pictures. Actually, anecdote from the lake. The first night we were there, Okay, someone was showing pictures to us of someone they were seeing, and then somebody tried to scroll back to like look at more pictures, and they were like whoa, whoa, whoa?
Speaker 1: Watch where whoa? Whoa whoa?
Speaker 4: And I was like, do you know how to hide pictures?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Hidden miles or hidden it.
Speaker 4: I mean occasionally forgotten to do that. And then my kids are like looking at something and scrolling. I'm like, give that back to me.
Speaker 2: I need actually, can you give me a tutorial because I haven't done that in a long time. Yeah, hiding the pictures and I got on there. I know it's easy, but I need to like tutorial. But wait a minute, can I just ask you this, and not to incriminate anyone, but is it like a little bit of bad form to like, if I really care about someone that I have a naked picture of, I don't know that I'm sharing it with you guys.
Speaker 4: Ever, No, No, these were definitely not naked pictures. It was just a normal picture of someone that they were showing to show up.
Speaker 1: Okay, looked like ok.
Speaker 4: And then somebody was gonna swipe and look at other pictures thinking there were more of this person and they were like wait, wait, wait, like scrolling on my phone got it. And I immediately was like, if there's something you don't want people to see.
Speaker 1: You hide it totally. Uh So I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think what you like pictures you mean or what you're generally you would say something embarrassing you searched, like a rash that you have, or like a weird itch that you have.
Speaker 2: A discharge thing, something that's like you had to check and see porn porn? Do you ever go into private mode and do and look at porn on your phone?
Speaker 1: I ever do that.
Speaker 4: I close it out right away. I'm not leaving it up even in incognito. No, you close it out in the private mode. If I am searching something on my phone that I need to search in private, I'm canceling it because it's so easily accessible. Still, I think it's too easy to access things on your phone, so I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I'm not keeping anything.
Speaker 4: Okay, And also like why are we so ashamed of porn? I don't know, it is like a thing? Yeah, probably just because of you know, the industry itself and is it is it?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Or maybe it's also like if you're searching, like I don't know, I don't. I don't do this a lot, but I've heard people say.
Speaker 1: I've heard a friend told me once that it's also like if you're searching.
Speaker 2: You don't just put PORNI you're putting whatever your kink is or a very specific topic fantasy and you want to play it out strange, And so then if.
Speaker 4: Somebody sees that, they're like they know exactly what your buttons are right away.
Speaker 1: There's no mystery. What is it about it too?
Speaker 2: That they can be like one thing that's like in your mind for like maybe two years and then it's.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, I'm kind of over this.
Speaker 4: I'll switch up a couple of words.
Speaker 2: So I think that's what's embarrassing, is like they're seeing this very specific thing.
Speaker 4: So yeah, to be clear, that's not my answer.
Speaker 2: So that's so Robin, your answer is poorn know what?
Speaker 1: What what could I find on there?
Speaker 4: I don't even know, Like probably maybe pictures that I haven't hidden or I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the next one. Okay, on mine, it might be the former. Okay, no, actually mine would probably be pictures too, And I don't have anything in a hidden file. And if I see something like beautiful in a situation, I snap it, I take the picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm someone who does that, and it's like very annoying to the people that are in close park Semite in.
Speaker 4: Session, You're like, wait, wait, wait, wait wait that it looks really good right now, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to take this picture. Oh god, you don't mind if I stop what I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing and look at my phone now, dude, not like that, but like you know, like just like beautiful moments, not just women, but like in general, Like if I'm in a moment, I'm like, oh, man, like sure, Whight's hitting you perfect right now?
Speaker 1: Freeze.
Speaker 4: I probably have some embarrassing pictures like that too, of like what is that? Nobody knows what that is except me. Yeah, but I mean I feel like it's kind of wholesome.
Speaker 1: Very wholesome. Okay, Okay. The next one I'm going to ask you is because we've known.
Speaker 2: Each other a minute but not super long. Okay, so what would you say that you like thought about me when we first met? Because when Robin and I first met, we met at a I picked you up. Actually we weren't. It was a friendship thing. We went to a bar in my neighborhood and just had dinner.
Speaker 1: The first time we met was before that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, we met at the birthday party. At day party, you were like someone who I was very excited about because I could tell you were going to be in our crew for sure. But what I'm wondering is what's like your impression of me that now that you actually know me, you're like, Wow, that was wrong.
Speaker 4: It's hard to like look back, but I would say I didn't realize how funny you are. I mean, I knew you were cool, Like the first impression I got was that you were cool and like could carry on a conversation with anyone. Because even the birthday party night, I remember chatting with you and like the group of people that you were standing with, but not for very long, so like it was very it was like surface level, but you just were very You were outgoing okay, and you were curious, which that which you very much are like curious about people about stories. But I was like, in an environment where we're not like cozy and comfy with each other, we don't know each other very well.
Speaker 1: Neither of us knew each other's humor or anything like that.
Speaker 2: During handshakes, we all have a secret hands all have a secret handshake.
Speaker 1: Yet that's not secret, not so secret. Everybody's not.
Speaker 4: But I would say, like I didn't necessarily think you weren't funny at that time, but now now that we know each other really well, like that's like the thing I feel like that we connect most on is our humor. It's just our ability to like have a shared moment just with eye.
Speaker 1: Contact and eye contact, it's like it's so hard. Yeah, and just understand, have this understanding of.
Speaker 2: What was just funny just now that's like not really that funny, but it's like I can't stop with it. Yeah, that's interesting. I would say the same thing about you. I think like you have my exist act sense of humor, like almost to a tea.
Speaker 4: And it's not for everybody, No, it's not. It's definitely not everybody.
Speaker 2: I would say that, but I would say bigger than that even is that when I met you, like I knew your history of like where you'd been living. You had this like very what looked like on paper, I don't know, choreographed like life like these three beautiful daughters, this husband, this, And I think I thought you were more mainstream.
Speaker 1: Is that the right word.
Speaker 2: I think I thought sitting there that she's just a sweet girl who's about to get a big eyes wide open, as I did because I was that ye, and I think you surprised me with you are like so much more than that, Like your depth is real, like just a fun couple facts about Robin. She never fucking talks about people ever, Like you are a I never worried about you ever, Like you're you don't get involved in nonsense, and there's a lot more depth than I think I thought you would have coming from coming Georgia.
Speaker 4: Caveat to that.
Speaker 2: I only lived there for two years, okay, so you didn't have time to go. I don't even like to claim it, Okay, I hated it for every moment. Sorry, if anyone listening lives in coming, But okay, if you can get out, get out, get out.
Speaker 1: Get out of that. Blink twice if you need help me some help getting out.
Speaker 4: I lived in Smyrna for a long time, which is still the Urbs, but it's completely different. So that's kind of what like I claim, okay, because it was like eight year long journey there. Okay, but yeah, I kind of appreciate that, like I thank you for seeing me in that way. And I think probably a lot of people initially that I met once I lived here had that impression. I remember our friend Jess one time, like after the first time meeting me, she told me this many months later, like she thought that I was just kind of this like sweet, like little southern Femali because the first time we all went out together I wore this like sleeveless turtleneck basically wait, what not turtleneck, but it was like all the way up on my neck and my hair was a lot longer.
Speaker 1: There's this this group picture.
Speaker 4: Here at your house, which was like two years ago now where I like a lot of us actually look if you have much longer hair, Like, yeah, a lot of people look different. And I was still definitely me, but I was very much not in my body completely at that point, and like my style has continued to evolve since then. And but I and I also feel like when I first meet people, especially up to that point in my life, I was very reserved when I met people, and I still am a little bit of an observer and it very initially when I meet.
Speaker 1: People, I guess I haven't people, I just.
Speaker 4: But I think it's changed, like in the last especially the last two years since I've been living in town and I have spent a lot more time in the queer community, and I feel so much more like myself right I am. I am so much more confident in my own self that I will just like go up to someone on the dance floor and look at them and ask them to dance. With me, like I would never have done that three, five, ten years ago.
Speaker 1: I would have been scared shitless.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's a bold move and yeah, and it's so just going back to your point. And it's funny because I also will a couple of times recently we'll just be like, I'm just a basic bitch because I love Taylor Swift and I have a Stanley Cup and there's like other things that are just very mainstream.
Speaker 1: Which is why people are fooled, right, But.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm actually not No, you're none of these things. Like there's a lot of oh you are Taylor, well, I love Taylor. There are definitely basic bitch kind of things about me, but I'm not. Like the point is that I'm actually not that and there is so much more depth And but I think it took coming out and living in a place where I feel comfortable to be myself and having friends who I feel so good with, yeah, and so comfortable with to just be myself fully right, like I've always been that person. But it took just my environment and the people around me and knowing I like womenah to feel like, oh okay, I just fully embody who I actually am and not be nervous about it, and I.
Speaker 1: Think it does change your it changes everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you can just show up as kind of a battie because you're just like exactly who you are. It's rare now that I go anywhere where I'm nervous.
Speaker 4: No, yes, same, And I would say that's not that didn't used to be the.
Speaker 1: Case for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, when we would. When I lived in Smurnaw a long time, we had a decent community of like family friends, like couples mainly with little kids and stuff. And it was fine and it served a great purpose and we definitely had some good community. But I never went into an environment, especially when it would be like three or four couple friends, feeling like so good about myself.
Speaker 1: I always was like a little.
Speaker 4: Bit uncomfortable, like, yeah, comparing myself to what other women were wearing or how they were sitting even or like there was always something unrest, Yes, unrest. And I mean it's easier to identify that in hindsight, but absolutely that's how I carried like that. I carried that in myself for the first thirty ish years of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's hard to old habits die hard. Yeah, so it's like then you have to slowly unpack it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are moments though, and I want to cross into you brought up fashion, because there are moments like I a few years ago when my kids were home, Owen has this, or actually I think they were Tatum's originally than they were Owens.
Speaker 1: We all kind of share clothes. Yeah, but Tatum is in.
Speaker 2: My mind very fashionable in that she doesn't dress like anyone else. But if you go to like where she lives in the East Village, they all these girls have this sense of like independent fashion, That's what I would call it. And somehow she looks cool even though she's picking things that I'm like, really with that, Like she'll wear like bloomers and then like boots and a tank like I'm like, who picks that?
Speaker 1: And then a sweater vest.
Speaker 4: I mean, and she looks amazing every time.
Speaker 2: So she was home, so I trust her, I guess, is what I'm saying. And she had had this peara of jeans that were like thrifted, huge par of le vice and she's like, just try them, like try them, and I did put them on, and I was like, damn, I kind of get it, Like these feel so good. And she's like, they look so much better mom than what you're doing, Like wear them and like those jeans now are like I live in those jeans, and I and to make so you know, I have several pairs now that are the exact same pair. But that's how much I love them because I feel good in them and I would when I first put them on, I was shocked at how good it felt.
Speaker 1: And that is when my style started to shift.
Speaker 2: I always had decent style, but like my own personal style brand, yeah shifted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was that pear of.
Speaker 2: Jeans, and I have other items now that have like come into focus. But I think you had a similar situation, Like how do you how would you describe the morphing of your style?
Speaker 4: I mean, the same pair of genes honestly is part of it for me. Yeah, but even before that, I and I will say, I'm it's still evolving. Like when see every new season, basically when it's getting warm again or it's getting cold again, I'm going to my closet.
Speaker 1: Which this is like feels like a universal thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if it's men also, but for women, I feel like you go to your closet and you're like, I have nothing to wear, But when you are going through a transformative experience like coming out later and kind of like really coming into who you are. Yeah, I mean I've purged seventy five percent of my closet totally when I moved totally, and I do it regularly because that's just who I am. I'm never going to have like an excessive amount of items, especially if I don't wear them. But it is a real struggle now, like every season. And I bought clothes a couple of years ago that I was like, Okay, I feel like these feel good.
Speaker 1: They feel just.
Speaker 4: I don't even know, like more adult or something. But now I won't. I can't wear them, like shorts that are too short or too tight, Like I can't. I have one pair of Jean shorts that I'm literally wearing right now, and it's the only pair of Jean shorts that I will wear because it's the only ones I really feel good in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that long ago though, that I was at a music festival in short Levi shorts, But like now that can you even picture me in tho?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 2: I guess sometimes at the lake I might wear or my parents' house, I might still wear it over a bathing suit because it's just like simple sure, yeah, but but it feels weird.
Speaker 4: Now yeah, or even like I'll say, the last few years, I bought a bunch of different pairs of like Levi's jeans, and then I got the like my boy jeans yep, and I have not worn a single other pair for me other pants that are like high waisted or like more form fitting, because I feel so good in your power the baggie yes, and like in the power in.
Speaker 1: Your power yes. And I remember like.
Speaker 2: Even saying to you when you go to the place clothing warehouse, I'm like, when you go to get them, get two sizes.
Speaker 1: Bigger than what you think is big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I go huge now yeah yeah, yeah, I mean and so it is. It definitely was like a like something awoke in me that was like whoa same, these these feel I feel amazing in these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my body, I'm.
Speaker 4: Confident in myself, Like yeah, they're very different than anything else I've worn before. So now I'm like, shit, I need to now I need to just like go in a totally different direction, right or not even a different direction, but just be more open to like you're saying, Tate will pay a lot of things together that feel kind of out of nowhere. Yeah, like they might not make sense, but then they do. And and half of it is, or more than half of it is that she just feels good in them. True, it's not even about the individual item, it's that you feel good in it. Yeah, exactly, so then it looks good.
Speaker 2: And I think one way to like transition, if people are looking to do that, is like I'll go really feminine on top and then just be boy on the bottom, girl.
Speaker 1: On top boy, and girl on top boy.
Speaker 4: We also we talked about just the other day going to like a few thrift stores together. Yeah. I think for me, I because I have not really ever like I felt like I knew myself and my own unique style all that. Well, like I still want somebody else to come with me, or I be like to pick something up that I would never touch, right, or be like you should try this, that is Tatum. Yeah, Like I'm just I'm not gonna be able to go into a store by myself and look at a completely new thing that I've never worn before and be like yep, I need somebody, and maybe I'll get there. I'm sure totally.
Speaker 2: What you need too is like she went in my closet and just started cutting shit.
Speaker 1: I need that. I need her dress somebody to do it, like i'ven't worn in ten years.
Speaker 2: She was like, this would be an adorable top. We're cutting it right now. Have you ever heard of the band Big Thief?
Speaker 1: Yeah you have?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's Tate's favorite band. The lead singer I think might be a lesbian.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, she has a big crush on her. But every outfit that like she'll build, she's like it's her. She's like, oh my god, she would totally wear that.
Speaker 1: She have to wear that.
Speaker 4: Okay. That's another thing, is like having kind of like a style icon, if you will. And there's a few of those, like random lesbian influencers or just like funny people that I follow on Instagram who I don't personally know, but there's a few people, or even like Sue Bird as an example, great great style Ashlyn Harris. I really like her style. It's a little bit more well, people have.
Speaker 1: Very strong opinions about her.
Speaker 4: I just don't want you, but I don't want to be look at me, look at me. No I don't either, but no, it's not always that way. Yeah, I mean that's part of it, is just like the posts and stuff that you sure, but style wise, there's like a few people that obviously they're very famous. But then there's a couple other I can't remember her name, Rachel something. She's a comedian on Instagram. She's a lesbian and.
Speaker 1: I love her style.
Speaker 4: It's it's like I've tried to emulate a little bit or just like kind of pay attention to how she pairs things, and like she'll wear bagg ear pants like, but sometimes it's gene Sometimes it's like trousers slacks do you want to call it? With like a button down, But it's like a little bit elevated, okay, a little bit more feminine, but still like kind of androgynous, which I feel like, is oh, I love that what I'm going for.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So this happened very recently where I was learned about the show called Lions, And so the show opens and immediately, first of all, it's a somewhat gay show.
Speaker 1: It's a really good show. If you haven't.
Speaker 4: Watched it, is this the one that's on Paramount. Yes, okay, can't you borrow my log in? Sure?
Speaker 1: I would love to. Okay, it's worth it. So anyway, she who's in the show is Zoe Saldana. Oh yeah, you know she is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So every single outfit that she has on in this show, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I want that. I want that. Like I was like it.
Speaker 2: Didn't matter whether she was like in her military thing or like out at a restaurant. It's like every you know, the suit that I wore for Lindsay's, then she'll go from that to like the most kick ass like loose sweatpants tank top five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she just she looked so good.
Speaker 2: So I went on this mission over the last like seven days. I'm like, I I cannot find this style anywhere.
Speaker 1: It does not exist.
Speaker 2: Like it's literally made me say we need to start a fashion line that's like so women don't have to because some women shop in men's clothing to like get the thing that they want, and I don't want to do that because it's not cut.
Speaker 1: I still have a women's body, right and so, and I also don't like.
Speaker 2: When people look like they have hand me downs on, Like I think that there's like there's style and then there's now you just look like you have hand me downs on and so, but that her style I loved. I searched like online anywhere. I was like where can I find it? And Nikki is like a shopper, so she's like looking it doesn't exist, but truly in that way. So I took a picture of her into a tailor Our tailor You and I Taylor.
Speaker 1: I walked in there to David.
Speaker 2: I'm like, David, this is what I'm trying to do, and he's like, that's we can do that the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he's going to like build the pants that.
Speaker 4: You're going to have a full custom wardrobe.
Speaker 2: Well okay, so I was like, this is going to be expensive, but I'm gonna it's worth it.
Speaker 1: I want these pants.
Speaker 2: So he though when I he broke it down, it's like as if I'm shopping at Buck Mason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like you're buying it's not that clothes and yeah, you're like tailoring them.
Speaker 2: It's not even It wasn't as expensive as I thought, but it made me think there's clearly if this is a product I will consume. Yeah, there are others in need in the market, there's a hole in the market.
Speaker 1: The only brand that does it is Wild Bag. Yeah, who really caters to that? And I don't like bright colors and very utilitarian same way I dress.
Speaker 4: I've looked at their suits many times because I like the cut and have imagine they would look amazing because they're made for that specific kind of style. But same, I wish they carried more options for fabric prints and stuff. It's just a little bit.
Speaker 1: It'd be more simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if you think about people that, like, I don't know, like New York City to me is a fashion like there's a lot of very people have great fashion there and people aren't wearing bright turquoise.
Speaker 2: They just start like I don't I don't care what you say, they're not right. I walk around that city all the time. These women look amazing and they're in black, gray, white, and like camel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my entire closet. All those colors, maybe say Olive or a couple other like more subtle kind of colors. But I agree, I feel like the market for that is big.
Speaker 2: And it's getting bigger all the time because we're all coming out because there's a whole sea of us.
Speaker 1: There's a sea of us.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take over erectly because it's hard now to show up in any other way, you know. Okay, what are other things that you feel like have morphed since this coming? I want to say coming of age, but it's not coming of age, but like, what else besides your fashion?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: How about the way you mother?
Speaker 4: Is that shifted definitely? And I mean and that doesn't have anything to do with me coming out necessarily, but all the other changes in my life, like not like undoing my marriage, and there was just I have now realized a lot of anxiety that I was carrying, right and that he was carrying. And I'm not carrying that anymore. I mean, I'm not that on My life is without anxiety, but it's a completely different type. And I know myself so much better now so that I can show up the way that I really want to show up as a mom. And I mean there's definitely days that I don't love about it, but I can talk to my kids so much so openly about like today wasn't a great day. I don't feel amazing about that, and they are like, yeah, I love you anyway.
Speaker 2: One thing that you did that I loved is that Like a couple months ago, Robin and I were sitting on my front porch.
Speaker 1: We're both bawling. I'll just be really honest. They were like, we're both sobbing, and like you said to me.
Speaker 2: And I thought this was like so beautiful as you were, Like the girls saw me crying and they had a very sweet reaction to that. That was like I never forgot And I thought about how like in that moment, like you taught them such compassion and like I don't know, and it carried on. It wasn't like a moment like they're young. They they saw you, they interpreted it, and then a couple days later, didn't one of them did something so sweet that I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, yeah, I actually my mom is staying with me this week, and she we have this calendar where we're writing like stuff that's coming up, and at the bottom of it there are there's a daily affirmation that Cooper wrote my nine cult and I think that's what you're referring to.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 4: Upset like they were. They were aware that I was having an emotionally like really hard time days and I wasn't trying to hide it from them. I wasn't like completely falling apart in front of them, but I was like leaking out of my eyes on like lower energy.
Speaker 1: And told them this.
Speaker 4: And then I put the two younger ones to bed, and while I did that, she wrote a daily affirmation for each day and like pinned it.
Speaker 1: To this.
Speaker 4: And didn't and then she didn't even call it out to me. I just came out from putting the other two to bed and she was in the kitchen, and then I happened to see it and I was like, wait, did you write those? She was like yeah, I just thought I was thinking about it. And she didn't even say like this is for you or whatever, but it was like clearly she was connecting things and wrote these like a little daily affirmation, like one of them is every version of me is loved, and the other one is something like I am resilient and can overcome obstacles.
Speaker 1: Like right, I know.
Speaker 4: And then and so I was sharing this with my mom again this morning. I mean I just started bawling. Yeah, it was a release of a lot of different emotions, but the primary one was holy shit, like I'm going to be okay and my kids are going to be okay, because I'm so open with them with emotional things, highs and lows. And my six year old Quinn, one thing that she will say if like I'm teery, like whether it's good or bad, She'll be like, Mom, are those happy tears?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Check because you're happy right right? And it's just so sweet. And even we had a Quinn and I butt heads the most, probably because she is me in a lot of ways, and we had the other night just were having a hard time and she kind of like put herself on a chair like in the other room, was like I just need a minute. Yeah, And even the ability for a six year old to be like I need a minute for my body to come down. And then she to me and was like can you hold me? Because she knew that like that would help both of us self regulate, And it was like, you're doing better at this than I am. I know, and that is amazing, Like obviously I'm doing something right. And I never would have been capable of doing that a few years ago, like if I was I was very lonely and going through like a really rough period of time like when we my husband and I were still married and before kind of everything unfolded, and there were plenty of days where I was like barely holding it together, but I wasn't letting them see that because I didn't know how to communicate it to that way. And You're busy taking care of him, and I was taking care of him and all of them. And I was younger, and it was I was carrying a lot, but I didn't feel like I had the bandwidth to care for myself. And now like, yes, of course I'm taking care of my kids needs, but I'm putting myself first, right because I know that I am so much more capable of caring for them and everything else in my life when I'm taking care of But.
Speaker 2: I also, in addition to that, feel like, if you like, look at we all say we want our kids to be happy.
Speaker 1: That's what we want.
Speaker 2: We want our kids to be happy. It doesn't matter all these other things. But how people are happy is when they have friendships and like they can bond with people.
Speaker 1: And I think like when.
Speaker 2: You teach kids that you teach them how to be a good friend to other people in the future, Like I for sure if they don't have that skill set.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of women who don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I would say, like I meet people and I'm very dialed in on what their ability is to connect on a friendship level or be trustworthy or be whatever the case may be. When kids are able to see you sad, it gives them permission to do that and then also get help. So it's like that's how you become friends. If everything's always just great fine.
Speaker 1: Then what life like? Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 4: And if you're just like oh great fine, or leaving things at that surface, then like you're not really addressing whatever is underneath, right, And really you need to be able to fully feel like secure and trust yourself totally to be able to do that for anyone else.
Speaker 2: And really that's what I would say if someone was like, what do I want for my children? I want them to have that capacity, Yeah, so that their life is full because the punches are gonna come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, the punches are gonna come. The fights in middle school or high school or adulthood are gonna come. People are gonna do things that they shouldn't do. But if you can recognize that, like ultimately you can love yourself, right, You're gonna be fine and have the tools to like get yeah, and have the tools to like write get through anything. I mean, but it takes knowing yourself and knowing who you are and boy jeans and a pair of powerful.
Speaker 1: Boy jeans exactly. I think that's a good place to wrap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for filling in for Melissa.
Speaker 1: My absolute pleasure. Melissa is like just.
Speaker 2: Literally she has like forty hours worth of stuff to do in.
Speaker 1: Like ten hours. Good luck with that, Melissa.
Speaker 2: But let me give you one little fun tidbit she just ordered, did you see Yes? Okay, so that's about to be our weekend. We're all getting on the slip and side. Is that happening?
Speaker 4: Absolutely shit?
Speaker 2: Okay do we put Is this the thing where you do the dish soap and you really get this thing rarin that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That takes it to a new level. Okay for sure.
Speaker 4: All right, well it's on.
Speaker 3: All right, goodbye, my friend, goodbye.
Speaker 1: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast. Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify. We love listener feedback.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A. L. L I at
Speaker 2: Gmail dot com, or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles