Speaker 1: Hey there, fellow travelers. Our twenty twenty five Silmrillion journey continues with chapter ten of Quintus Silmarillion of the Cendar. The Noldor, led by Feanor, have re entered Bellarion in pursuit of more goth than the Silmuriles. This chapter brings us up to speed with the Elves that already inhabit belleriond especially the people of king Elwei Thingle aka the Cendar, and what has transpired in the long span of years since their brethren departed Bellerion for the Blessed Realm. Over the next several months, will continue revisiting the entire thirty episode Silmarillion series that Greta and I recorded back in twenty twenty two. While you're listening, check out Silmguide dot com. That's si lmguide dot com for guides to individual chapters. You can find that link in the show notes. To support our work here, please visit Patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road Enjoy. Hey there, fellow travelers, Welcome to the Tolkien Road. Episode two eighty nine. Greta, Hey, we meet again.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed we do. That's amazing We're meeting.
Speaker 1: In this episode we will be discussing Chapter ten of the Selm Million of the Sun Our. Before we get started, we'd like to give a double up air five to our patrons. Get those hands up. You've been duly warned. Three two one, Oh hope you got them up there.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Need the vibes, There we go, We.
Speaker 2: All need es.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to this episode's executive producers, John R. Caitlin of t with Tolkien and Jacob Lockham.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Become a patron by visiting patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road. Doing so get you cool perks like twenty percent off of everything at truemthspress dot com. Plus, your financial support helps keep the Tolkien Road to keep on everring on. Let's start start again. Plus your financial support helps the Tolien Road to keep on evering on. Got it right? At that time? It's the morning time again people, So you know man? All right? Learn more at patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road. If you're on YouTube, hit that like button and don't forget to subscribe and let us know what's on your mind and the comments below. All right, And hey, Greta, we gotta I forgot to ask you about this before we started. Can we do live stream on Thursday April twenty eighth, Thursday this week? Next week?
Speaker 2: I think we have something that night.
Speaker 1: Do we I think we do. What do we have because I don't see it?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think we have an event.
Speaker 1: An event m hmm for Chester ten. Oh okay, well more to follow, more to follow on when we'll be scheduling that. So disregard. I meant to ask Greda about that, but we're in kind of a we're in a little bit of a not a rush, but just had to get down to had to get down to business this morning, so got a schedule to keep.
Speaker 2: Yes, So but we will do a live stream.
Speaker 1: We will do a live stream or well, we'll get it all worked out when that's gonna happen. All right, Well, let's dive on in to chapter ten.
Speaker 2: Yes for chapter ten already.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well we're just you know, making our way through.
Speaker 1: Making it happen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel it's been a much easier read this time.
Speaker 1: Well that'll happen when you read it before.
Speaker 2: I just remember, like it's not as so much as it's just easier, But it's like I'm enjoying it a lot more too. Yeah, Like last time it felt like a chore, but this time I'm like, oh, I can't wait to read this summer.
Speaker 1: Really, it's definitely one of those books that rewards you upon more and more upon, you know, repeated reads. Right, So you know there are some that there's some books that like you read them the first time and it's just you know, it's so good, but then maybe you read it a couple more times and not so much. This is the reverse of that to silm Rellion challenge at first, but once you've you know, you're on your second, third, fourth read, it just gets better and better and better. All right, let's let's hit this quote of the week, shall we. All right, but if bliss and glad life, there is little to be said before it ends as works fair and wonderful. While they still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they were in peril or broken forever do they pass into song. That that quote really jumped out at me from this chapter. It kind of encapsulates the uh, you know, the idea that this this area of Balarion had its own long age of peace, if you will, And really there's not a whole lot that Tolkien has to say about that other than just like it was really peaceful for a long time, but it doesn't seem to last forever.
Speaker 2: No, So I thought I thought it was interesting. I like this quote too, because I think it was it's really kind of interesting where it says, and only when they are in peril or broken forever do they pass into song. Like it just made me think, like that's so true. Like I feel like we talk about like like when things are good and when you're enjoying them, like you don't really think about memorializing or or really writing it down. Yeah, that's when things are hard and when and when things start to go south, that that that that's when you start to to remember the good times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, unfortunately that's true. Unfortunately that's true. Right, But it seems to be the nature of the good times and the nature of the bad times is that you tend to uh, well, you tend to remember. I don't know. That's a very pessimistic way of putting it, but you know, I get what he's saying. I get what he's saying here anyway, right, Uh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't mean to be pessimistic. I was just saying that that's just kind of when we're in the good times, we tend to take them for granted, right, and then when things were, like, you know, aren't as good, it's easy. That's when you begin to think, like, oh man, we had a really good back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing about it, you know, yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's get into chapter ten, shall we, all right? In chapter ten, the perspective shifts from the Blessed Realm to Bealarion, where it will remain for the rest of the Silmarillion. We jump back to where we left Bealarion, at the point when the Vanyard, Noldor, and Hilarry all departed, leaving behind some of their brethren, who become known as the Cindar, and take the Tillary Lord Elway as their king and the Maya Melian as their queen. In chapter ten, we'll learn of the Sendar, the brethren of the Tilary that remained behind in BALARIOND, of the creation of Minnagroth, the grand palace of the sendaran king thingle of the coming of the dwarves to BEALERIOND of the nandorinolves of the return of Melcor to Middle Earth in the first Great Battle of BELLERIOND and much more so luck going on in this chapter. Again, Yeah, just a disclaimer, as with each episode, we won't be covering every detail of this chapter, but instead doing our best to hit the high points and unpack interesting and important details. If we miss something, you guys want to discuss more, let us know. Great place to do that to keep the conversation going is in the comments on YouTube. So all right, So, as I've been doing, we're talking about I'm trying to give a timeline for for each of the chapters in the Selm Million. So far, I've been using History of middle Earth Chapter ten to do that, and actually this week and really going forward, we're gonna be using History of Middle Earth Chapter eleven, The War of the Jewels to do that. And the reason for that is is that chapter ten or volume ten, really focuses on the stories of the Blessed Realm, almost like the first half of the Summarllion. It really focuses on that first half of the Sulm Million and the timeline there in the development of those stories after Lord of the Rings, and then volume eleven focuses on the development of the second half of the Selm million after the Lord of the Rings. So and you know, we kind of think about that as like volume ten is focused on the Blessed Realm, Volume eleven is focused on Valerion, right. So the dividing line between chapters ten or Volumes ten and eleven History of Middle Earth is the Great Sea. So, uh, timeline, where what are the years? And can we kind of compare them to the timeline that we've been using from volume ten, And the answer is yes, we can compare them. So really this takes place between the Year of the Trees twelve hundred and fourteen ninety seven, so a very long two hundred and ninety seven tree year period, which equates to twenty nine hundred and seventy years sun years, right, as we would reckon them. So and just to kind of frame that again, Melcor goes into captivity in the year eleven hundred, Year of the Trees eleven hundred, right. He's taken into captivity roughly around the years of the year eleven hundred, and his captivity lasts for three ages, which an age is one hundred year tree years, right, So it lasts from eleven hundred to fourteen hundred of the years of the Trees. We pick up the story here in the year twelve hundred years of the Trees. Okay, so the elves had become had begun to make their journey to the Blessed Realm between eleven hundred and twelve hundred, all right, of the years of the Trees. During that period is when Thingle goes into his trance, when he sees Melion, right, he goes into his trance and he doesn't actually come out of it until until it's like a twenty year period something like that. That he that he's in that twenty three year period, so it's actually two undred years, and he comes out of that, and then he starts to lead the Sindar, right, those those of the elves who remain behind. But let's dive into just the story of the Sindar here, all right, just a quick quick summary, just to refamiliarize ourselves with who the Cindar actually are. Gota, would you read this sure now?
Speaker 2: As has been told, the power of Elway and Melon increased in Middle Earth, and all the elves of Balion, from the mariners of Kirnon to the wandering hunters or the Blue Mountains beyond the river. Geleon owned Elway as their lord, Elu Thingle. He was called King Gray Mantle in the tongue of his people. They are called the Sindar, the gray elves of Starlit Bellarion. And although they were more Quindi, under the lordship of Fingal and the teaching of Melion, they became the fairs and the most wise and skillful of all the elves of Middle Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So these are the elves that they made it all the way to Bellerion, but they never they never took the final journey. And most of them are Tillary. Most of them are of the same house as the Tillary. Right, So, Elway meets Melon, is entranced and then comes out of the trance, and the Sindar take him for their king. He is renamed Elu Thingal, which means King Graham Mantle. And then they learn a lot, right, they learned a lot because they have Melon as their queen. Right, so they actually have a who's my Mayar as their queen, And that's a you know, that's that's a great opportunity. They may not know, they may not become as knowledgeable as the elves of the blessed realm. But they become pretty knowledgeable, you know, as compared to the elves that never you know, that never made it over the Blue Mountains. All right. And by the way, just we'll get more into the geography of Bellerion. But just so you guys understand, if you look at the map of Bellerion in the Sellmarillion, it's in the front of the back. Can I remember it's in the back. Yeah. If you look at the map, basically, the Blue Mountains on the very east right, that's the same Blue mountain range that's in the upper northwest of Middle Earth and the Third Age, and that's kind of the dividing line to the east for Bellerion. All right. So to the to the east of the arid luin of the Blue Mountains, the terrain starts to become a lot more familiar. We recognize a lot more things from the Lord of the Rings and from the Hobbit, right, we'll actually hear about some of the those things in passing reference in this chapter. Some of those areas. Yeah, so that is that's who the Sendar are. And then let's read let's read of the Coming of the Dwarves, and the dwarves come along in the year of the Trees twelve to fifty. They come to Bealerion in the year twelve fifty. So again this is like basically fifteen hundred years of sun years after Melkor went into captivity, right, so a long period has elapsed since then, all right, It came to pass during the second age of the captivity of Melchor that dwarves came over the blue mountains of arid Lun into belleriond themselves they named Kazad, but the Sendar called them Nalgrim. The stunted people and Gonhiram, masters of stone far to the east, were the most ancient dwellings of the Nalgrim. But they had delved for themselves great halls and mansions after the manner of their kind in the eastern side of eded Lun, and those cities were named in their own tongue Gabielgathol, and too Mounzahar. To the north of the great height of Mount Dolmed was Gabielgathol, which the elves interpreted in their tongue Belagost, that is Mickelberg, and southward was delved to moun Zahar by the elves named Nograd, the Hollowbold. Greatest of all the mansions of the dwarves was Kasadum, the Dwarro delf Har Hondrond in the Elvish tongue, that was afterwards, in the days of its darkness, called Moria. But it was far off from the mountains of myst beyond the wide leagues of Riador, and to the Eldar came but as a name and a rumor from the words of the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you wrote that passage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say this was This is what I normally put on you, just to mess with you. No, So we you know, we hear about these in the Blue Mountains themselves. We have two dwarf kingdoms, one in the northern side of the range, one on the southern side of the range. And then we actually hear of of Moria, right of Kasa Doom, which of course plays you know, an important role in Lord of the Rings. But it's been around since the earliest you know, really really going way back into the early first Age, right, So we don't get a lot more information about it here in the Silmarillion, but we do know that exists at this time, and we have reference to the Mountains of Myss, the Misty Mountains, we have reference to Ariador, and you know, so these regions all do exist, it's just they're not in focus during this During the Selm.
Speaker 2: Million, we also hear of Mickelburg.
Speaker 1: Mickelburgh. Yeah, I think is.
Speaker 2: Very funny because it doesn't like it sounds like a small town in Pennsylvania or something.
Speaker 1: I was thinking too. I was like, there might be a town. There must be a town in Pennsylvani named Mickelburg or something. Do you think I was thinking Pennsylvania too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna get a note from a listener who lives in Mickelburg, Pennsylvania. Then we then we then we're gonna learn that it's like, you know, a mining town or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it could be it could be in Pennsylvania, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's the dwarves in the year twelve fifty of the Year of the Trees, they come into Balarion and and they start to intermingle with the elves of that region, and it sounds like the dwarves already have kind of their own you know, really civilization going at this point, right, mm hmm, Yeah, what were you gonna say?
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say that this was probably pretty trippy for both the elves and the dwarves, because like they both thought that they were like it, right, it would almost be like like us, like another civilization, Like I think of aliens just like walking into our backyard or something like, hey, we're here. You're like what we thought only humans lived here, you know. Yeah, So I think it must have been really like a kind of surreal for both the dwarves and the elves because they each were kind of insular before this, and then all of a sudden than their world's collide. And I think it's awesome how and we'll get into this in a minute, but they like get along really well. They like they you know, they seem to compliment each other, you know, and seem to work together.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've probably talked about this before on the podcast, but there's this phenomenon called the Uncanny Valley, and basically the idea is that as you get closer and closer to it, there's this graph. I'll try to remember to put this in the notes because it's really interesting to think about. But basically, there's like this idea that as you go from like the most like basic robot all the way to like increasingly complex humanoid like kind of looking things right all the way to like what a like, like what a normal human being, it's it's actually a normal human being. There's like this spectrum where you know, it's like, oh, cute, cute, cute, and then you hit this point where it's so close to humanity but you can tell it's not actually human, and but it's it's like close enough to where you're like, uh, not cool, right, And it's that's called the uncanny valley. So it's like, you know, it's like oh, like you know, uh, you know, Robbie the robot little like obviously not a human, right, you know, like Teddy Bear, right, you know, like obviously not human, obviously not Wait is that human? It doesn't look human, but it kind of looks human or I don't like it, right, And it gets close and it's like there's like these negative emotions that are associated with like negative reactions associated with it. So it's like this weird effect where it goes it's like too close for.
Speaker 2: Comfort, right, Everything's just fine until you get just close enough, but it's just enough to kind of make you go, yeah, it's like something's not right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't look Yeah, yeah, it's it's an interesting I don't know. I'll try to remember to link to this on on it's a the Wikipedia article on this, because it's just an interesting little phenomenon to think about. But but yeah, I think maybe they're I think we do see some of this with the elves and their interactions, both with dwarves and with men. Right, you know, there's with dwarves there's maybe more of that effect because they were you know, they're they're like the they call them the stunted people, right people, and they're like, wait a minute, you just don't look right, you know, and you know it's like the elves already have enough of a superiority complex, I'm sure, but you know, they meet the dwarves and they're like, you know, well, we're obviously so much more beautiful than you, and your language is weird and all this kind of stuff, right, And then you know, men come along and there's a whole nother thing because men maybe look even more like elves than dwarves do. So anyway, that just your comments there, maybe maybe think of the Uncanny Valley here. Yeah, so I'll have to remember to put that into the show notes.
Speaker 2: Very interesting, and the el and dwarves probably had less in common than like elves and men, right, I mean, I think the uncali Uncanny Valley may have been more of a thing between elves and men than between elves and dwarves.
Speaker 1: But well, you could argue that the that men are so close that they're they're back up like close.
Speaker 2: To well maybe yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: But but you get to with with something like all right, so a little morbid here. But like you know, if you've been to a funeral, open cask of funeral, and you've seen you know, the body of the person that's in that, you know, the corpse, right, there's kind of that effect, right, because every time I go to one, right, you know, I'm like, it's that I can tell it's that person, but it doesn't really look like that person because there's nothing animating it. It's like it's it's an empty it feels like an empty body, you know. And and there's it's obviously you know, been a lot of like makeup and that kind of stuff done and there's probably been fluids put in there. I don't know. I'm not in you know, I don't do all of that work, so I don't know what goes on with that, but I know there's some things that they have to do to make the body look presentable, right, And and so they actually point that out on this little graph here, like corpse is like the bottom point of the Uncanny valley, right, So anyway, you know, that's that's kind of so I would think like with dwarves there may be that effect even more like huge, Like men might look close enough to elves that it's almost like indistinguishable, right, especially men in the prime of their life, right, But dwarves it's like, you know, at least the depictions that we normally see of dwarves in Middle Earth, they're kind of funny looking compared to elves and men, right. So anyway, and.
Speaker 2: Obviously orcs would be like a low point here.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and orcs are almost like a member. They have two They actually have two things here. They have two like little lines on this graph, the straight the straight line the corpse is the bottom point and it doesn't go as far down. But then you have zombie on the like it's all like this is the artificial humanity line, and Zombie goes even further down. So I have to think like Orc would be even further down on the uncanny. So it's like Dwarves would be like maybe like coming back up from corpse, but still maybe a little bit of a negative, and then Orcs would be like all the way down where Zombie is.
Speaker 2: The very base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So anyway, I've always been fascinated by that idea, So a little bit of a sidetrack, but I think I think it's relevant, you know, Yes, all right, so back on track, let's talk about Menogroth. So the year we've met the dwarves, and then in the year of the Trees thirteen hundred, we learned about the construction of Menogroth. So, Greta, can you read this part right here and then I'll read the rest of it right here.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, Melion had much foresight after the manner of the Mayar, and when the second age of the captivity of Milcor had passed, she counseled Thingle that the piece of art would not last forever. He took thought, therefore, how he should make for himself a kingly dwelling and a place that should be strong if evil were to awake again in Middle Earth, and he sought aid and council of the dwarfs of Belakost.
Speaker 1: Therefore the Nolgrim labored long and gladly for Thingal, and devised from him mansions after the fashion of their people, delve deep in the earth where the Eskaldouan flowed down and parted Neldorreth from region. There rose in the midst of the forest a rocky hill, and the river ran at its feet. There they made the gates of the Hall of Thingal, and they built a bridge of stone over the river, by which alone the gates could be entered. Beyond the gates, wide passages ran down to high halls and chambers far below that were hewn in the living stone, so many and so great, that the dwelling was named Menegroth the thousand caves. So Melion tells Thingle, Look, this piece isn't going to last for ever, right, And I know it's you know, we've had fifteen hundred years of peace at this point, but it's time to get you know, we need to prepare for the worst. Right, something is going to happen. Something always happens. So Thingles wise and he says, well, I better listen to Melion, because not only is she really beautiful, but she's also really smart. And so he decides to build this. He decides to build this cave with the help of the dwarves, and so they delve the Menigroth thee thousand caves, and that is the really that's kind of the center of thingles kingdom, right, that's that's the place from which he rules.
Speaker 2: Sounds like quite a fortress, yeah, yeah, well protected, yeah, yeah. The dwarfs kind of outdid themselves.
Speaker 1: So that is that that is completed in the year thirteen hundred year of the Trees, thirteen hundred and so this is this is two hundred year tree years into the captivity of Melcor, two thousand years of Sun, two thousand years of Sun, two thousand son years. There we go, and you know, we're still we're still one hundred three years a thousand years out from the uh, you know, out from the release of Millcret, right, so you know, still kind of along a long ways of where from where we left off in terms of time. And the last chapter all right, and then it's not too long after that that evil does in fact return to Belleriond. All right, but it's not quite it's not quite melcor slash Morgoth yet, right, but it is uh. It is going to be some of his works. So Greta, would you read this first chapter here, and I'll read this first paragraph. I read the second paragraph.
Speaker 2: But as the third age of the captivity of mal Court drew on, the dwarfs became troubled, and they spoke to King Thingle, saying that the Valar had not rooted out utterly the evils of the north, and now the remnant, having long multiplied in the dark, we're coming forth once more and roaming far and wide. There are fell beasts, they said, in the land east of the mountains, and you're ancient Kindred that dwell, there are flying from the plains to.
Speaker 1: The hills and ere long the evil creatures came even to Bellariond over passes in the mountains, or up from the south through the dark forests. Wolves there were or creatures that walked in wolf shapes, and other fell beings of shadow, and among them were the Orcs, who afterwards wrought ruined and Belleriond. But they were yet few and wary, and did but smell out the ways of the land, awaiting the return of their lord. Whence they came, or what they were, the elves knew not then, thinking them perhaps to be Avari, who had become evil and savage in the wild in which they guessed all too near. It is said. So, you know, we'll recall that Melchor had his prime, his prime abode in Autumno, which was at the north kind of in the north center of this mainland mass of Middle Earth, right, and that was you know, the the dungeons of it were like kind of thrown up when the when the Valar came and they did battle with Melcor and took him captive, they kind of un you know, unearthed everything and like you know, just you know, just destroyed Autumno. Right, But all these like creatures that Melcor had made a lot of them maybe got away and they started to multiply again. And you give him enough time and there's gonna be a lot more of them. Right. So there they start coming back really in the you know, to the east, right to the east of the Blue Mountains, and they start harassing the elves that are still over there, they start harassing other good creatures that are over there, and and then eventually they make their way back into Balion, right and uh, and then you've also got Enband read there, right, which was where once upon a time, uh, Suron was kind of was kind of ruling. And you know, is the is Melcor slash Morgs chief lieutenant right now, we don't hear anything about Saron in this chapter, but you know, one wonders if maybe he was behind some of this, right, So, you know, he's just waiting for more Goth to return, and you know, he's kind of doing what evil he can while, you know, while more Goth is gone. So we do get this reference. We get this reference to the elves not knowing where the Orcs had come from, thinking that perhaps to be a votery who had become evil and savage in the wild in which they guessed all too near. Right, so of their brethren elves who had stayed much further behind, wondering if these were where the Orcs came from. So again another reference to the Orcs being you know, at least the original Orcs being elves that were corrupted, right, captured by Melcor and corrupted and turned into these kind of fell creatures. So, but the good news is that Thingles company is armed by the Dwarves. They they get weapons from the Dwarves, they learn how to use these weapons, and they drive off these creatures of evil. Right so they you know, hear the year thirteen thirty, of the Year of the Trees. They secure a peace once again, even though it looks a little perilous for a bit there, they secure peace once again for this region of Bellerion by driving off these these evil creatures thanks to the Warve's help, thanks to the Dwarf's help. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but Thingle and the process, Thingle and his and his company become pretty stout warriors themselves in the process, right they and you know that's something to remember, right, the elves are not warlike people's right. They learn warfare through the course of their history. Remember with the story of and that takes place in the Blessed Realm. You know, there aren't weapons in the Blessed Realm until towards the end, right until towards the end, and the Old Door start creating weapons, right, So, so then Old Door do learn start to learn weaponry and learn the art of warfare, and then the Sindar learn the art of warfare as well, right here in this kingdom. So but you know, it's a good thing that Thingle does learn this because he needs to protect the Sindar, right, he needs to protect his people in his region and make it this realm of peace, all right, all right, Then next we learn about the coming of the non Door, all right. So just to give you a little perspective again here on the non Door, we can go to our our groups of elves table right in the appendices, and the very last table here we look at the Quindi and the non Door are descended from the Tillary. They're actually a part of the Tillarry, but they left off from the Tillarry even earlier than the Sendar did. Right, So the non Door left off around the River Onduin, right, the great river Okay, the River Ondoin of course, being the one that plays a major part in the Lord of the Rings. Right, it's the river that runs through between the Misty Mountains on the east. It has the Misty Mountains on the west side of it, and then Mirkwood on the east side of it, right, And it runs down all the way through the through that continent pass through Asgiliath, right and and it's the river that the Fellowship journeys on after it leaves, after it leaves Lethalorian. All right, So this is you know, the Great River. It's the very same river right that we are going to read about right here, m all right. So Greta, could you read this passage right here?
Speaker 2: Yes, now has been told one lenue of the hosts of Elway forsook the march of the Eldar at that time when the Tilleri were halted by the shores of the Great River upon the borders of the westlands of Middle Earth. Little is known of the wanderings of the nandor whom he led away down Onduan. Some, it has said, dwelt age long in the woods or the vale of the Great River. Some came at last to its mouths, and they're dwelt by the sea. And yet others, passing by iRED Nimras the White Mountains, came north again and entered the wilderness of Ariador, between rid Lewin and the far mountains of Myst. Now, these were a woodland people and had no weapons of steel. And the coming of the fell beasts of the north filled them with great fear, as the Nagurum declared to King Thingle and Menegroth. Therefore Denethor, the son of Lenwe, hearing rumor of the might of Thingal and his majesty and of the peace of his realm, gathered such hosts of his scattered people as he could, and led them over the mountains into baleriand there they welcomed. Then there they were welcomed by Thingle as king long as Kin long lost that return, and they dwelt in osiriand the land of seven Rivers.
Speaker 1: All right, I know what you're thinking, But this is not that Denor.
Speaker 2: I was, Yes, I was a little confused for a minute.
Speaker 1: This is not that denethorpe that Denethor. Right, the Denthor you all know from Lord of the Rings. Then Denethor you all know and despise from Lord of the Rings, is the steward of Gondor and the late third Age. And he is a man, right, he is not a elf. This is an elf. This is and you're gonna see certain names pop up again, right, so you can one can surmise that like they were. You know, maybe Denethor was named with respect to this Denethor. I'm not sure, but you'll see certain names pop up more than once and being used by certain characters more than once, which is normal. I mean we do that in our world, right, So that is not the same Denethor. This is the this is the son of the leader of the Nondor, right of this group of velves that broke off. And so this group of elves had broken off on that journey many you know, many many many years ago, right, and and they had dwelt in really our Ariador, right in that region where we think of as being the home of like the Hobbits. Right, So, Greta, here's the third Age map, right, Ariador right there, shires right here, So Bellarion is over here somewhere, okay, where it's now underwater in the third Age, right, And then the non Door would have dwelt in this region right between the blue mountains on the west and the misty mountains on the east. And they start having problems and they're like, let's go see if we can find the rest of our kin, and they it's how they get into Blarion and they're welcomed by Thingle.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, I think is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so far you're like this thing old guy, he seems like a pretty good guy. Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He didn't have to he didn't have to let them in, but he did.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. And Thingal is a pretty good guy at first. He is a pretty good guy, but that's kind of going to change as the story goes on, all right. And so with the coming of the Nondor, we have really this period of bliss that we referred to in the quote of the week, right, it lasts from the year thirteen to fifty of the Year of the Trees to the year fourteen ninety five, the year fourteen ninety five being the year that Dune Dun Dun Melkor slash Morgoth returns to Blarion. All right, but that is a one hundred and forty five tree year period, which means it is and fifty years. So that's a long period of time again, right, fourteen you know, and fifty years ago from right now would have been like around the year five hundred, right, roughly the year late the late five hundreds, right. You think about how much time has elapsed in our own history, how much happened in that period of time in our own history. You realize how long a period of time that actually is, that they have this period of bliss. Okay, so we don't know much about that. One would resume that lots of things happened during that period that we just aren't big enough for us to have heard about with the grand arc of this story. But there you have it, all right, And so we jump forward, way forward, and we hear about the return of Angoliant, and we hear about the return of melkor slash more Goth, who really will just start referring to as more Goth more Goth to Bellerion along with Emgoliant right where we left off with them. They had big fight, the Balrogs had to come to Morgo's rescue, and he had that terrible scream which like filled the whole continent of Bellerion with like terror. And we hear about that here. Okay, I'm not going to rehash all of that, because we did talk about it in the last chapter, kind of rehashes it in the chapter here, but let's read about what happened. We do learn a little bit more about what happened with Angolian. So, Greta, do you want to read about this right here.
Speaker 2: Sure. Soon afterwards, Angoliant fled from the north and came to the realm of king Thingle, and the terror of darkness was about her. But by the power of melions she was stayed and entered not into Neldreth, but a bode long time under the shadow of the precipices, in which Dorthonian fell southward, and they became known as a Gorgoroth, the mountains of Terror, and none dared go thither or pass nigh them. Their life and light were strangled, and they're all waters were poisoned. Yeah, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, do you not want to go to there?
Speaker 2: It's not a not an up and coming vacation spot.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no. All right, so we can kind of, uh, we can kind of get a idea. So we look at the map at the at the back of the Selmar million. You've got this in the in the very north, in the center, in the very north. And unfortunately in my edition, in this edition we're using here, it's like split between two pages. But in the middle you've got the anfaluglyth uh kind of this open space at the top on bond is to the north of that right on band is just I don't know why they didn't put on Bond on this map, but it's to the north of that. And then you've got this uh Tar new Tar new fuin right, and then Non Non dune Go THEB and the arid Gorgoroth right. So these mountains that Angolian goes and twells in are on the you can kind of see them between where it says Tarnu Fuen Dorthonion and non dune gor THEB right there in the middle, and it says arid Gorgoroth, So that would have been the mountains where she took up her abode for some period of time, the mountains of Terror. And then you can look a little further south from there and you'll see the region that is the center of Thingles kingdom, which we're going to read about next, which is Dorioth, and that is that is the location of Menogroth. Although I'm trying to find Menogroth on this map. Well it's is it there, don't know? Yeah, And sometimes again sometimes they do these weird things with this map where they don't mark the most important things that you want to know, where they are go figure. Oh yeah, there it is, I see it. So it's right here above the A and Dorioths, yes, right, or above the T in Dorioth, it says Menigroth right there. Yes, yeah, So all right, well let's read about the So after Angolian goes there, Melcor returns to his throne, and then it's it's not very long. It's only basically two tree years, so basically about twenty years from when more Goth takes up his abode in Ubond to when he declares war on Valarion. Right, so he's ready to get back. He's ready to get back into the action against against any elves he can find.
Speaker 2: Can I make a comment super quick about Melion staying on Gooliant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're both my are right, will we believe Ongoleans?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, so I was just gonna say that clearly not all my r created equal. If Melion is able to stay Onngoleant, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say that. You know the whole thing about Onolean being able to it's interesting. It is really interesting that like Ngoliant is able to kind of best More Goth. But I think the you know, what we learn about more Goth is that he is. Just as he continues to pour all of his energy into the creation of these like fell beasts and everything, it's like he he loses more and more of his own life potency, right, and he becomes weaker and weaker over the course of the story. Right, Whereas she has been swelling with all this, like consuming all this light, right, you know, the light of the two trees. She's been swelling more and more, right with this, with this strange energy. But Melion has not, you know, she has not been doing you know, she has not been pouring her life's energy into all these different things like more Goth has. Also, she uses different tactics, right. I mean, she's not like going and doing war with Ungoliant directly, but she's using a certain a certain different kind of skill right to keep Ungoliant at bay, right, So yeah, I mean it doesn't give us a lot of detail on that, but you know, she is using her own, her own set of skills, her own brand of magic, if you will, to keep Onngolient at a distance.
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe she's kind of like the scarlet the scarlet, No, not the.
Speaker 1: Scarlet, Oh, I get those the think of the Scarlet Witch, the one from the Marble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was it? Oh geez, this is embarrassing. The series that we watched Scarlet Charlottitch.
Speaker 1: Okay, well they gave it. They had a different name for it. It was called WandaVision WandaVision. Yes, but that she is the Scarlet Witch.
Speaker 2: S Caelowitch. Okay, I get her in Black Widow, except I know that's terrible. Yeah, but that's kind of how I picture it. Like she kind of puts like force fields, kind of like, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, against I think I think there's something to be said for that, right, I think, you know, And I think we see more of that in the In this next section right here that we're about to read, we see what she does. She creates this thing called, uh called the Girdle of Meleon. But let's read about why she does that. So do you want to read this first paragraph here and then I'll read the second.
Speaker 2: Now, the Orcs that multiplied in the darkness of the earth grew strong and fell, and their dark lord filled them with the lust of ruin and death, and they issued from Angban's gates under the clouds that Morgoth sent forth and passed silently into the highlands of the north. Thence thence on a sudden a great army came into Balerion, and as sailed King Thingal now in his wide realm, many elves wandered free in the wild or dwelt at peace, and small kindreds farsundered, and only about Menagroth in the midst of the land, and along the Phalas and the country of the Mariners were their numerous peoples. But the Orcs came down upon either side of Menagroth, and from camps in the east between Ceylon and Ceylon and Gelan, and west in the plains between Syrion and Nargog. They plundered far and wide, and Thingal was cut off from Kirdan at Elglarest. Therefore he called upon Denethor, and the elves came in force from region, from region region beyond us, and from Osyriond, and fought the first battle in the Wars of Belleriond in the eastern hosts of the Orcs, was taken between the armies of the Eldar north of the Androm and midway between Us and Gelian. And they and there they were utterly defeated, and those that fled north from the great Slaughter were waylaid by the axes of the Nogrim that issued from Mount Dolmed. Few indeed returned to enband, but the.
Speaker 1: Victory of the elves was dirbat for those of Osyriand were light armed and no match for the Orcs, who were shod with iron and iron shielded, and bore great spears with broad blades. And Denethor was cut off and surrounded upon the hill of amman Arab. There he fell, and all his nearest kent about him before the host of Thingal could come to his aid. Bitterly, though his fall was avenged when Thingal came upon the rear of the Orcs and slew them in heaps. His people lamented him ever after and took no king again. After the battle, some returned to Osyriand, and their tidings filled the remnant of their people with great fear, so that thereafter they came never forth and open war, but kept themselves by wariness and secrecy. And they were called the Laya Quindi the green elves, because of their raiment and the color of the leaves. But many went north and entered the guarded realm of Thingal and were merged with his people, all right, so kind of the kind of a sad end to the remainder of the nondor there. Some of them do join with the people of Thingal, some of them kind of become this like just remnant that live in the woods, and they're kind of this strange, strange group of elves. Right, But you know, very big first Battle of BALERIOND and it's you know, we get carried on and his people driven all the way to the shores, and and you know, kind of a victory maybe on the eastern front, but you know, a stalemate, a loss, with a little bit of a stalemate on the western front, right, And this is all taking place in the year fourteen ninety seven, of the Year of the Trees. By the way, the distance it does say the distance between Agbond and Menigroth in the War of the Jewels, it's actually one hundred and fifty leagues, which if I understand the league correctly, is a league is one league is three miles, So it's four hundred and fifty miles from Angbond to Menigroth. So it's not super close, right, And you've got that big mountain ranges in the middle that nobody wants to go through because Angolian and her offspring live there, So they're coming down on either side of that mountain range. And those are the two different sorts of sorts of fronts there. But yeah, and so after this, and you.
Speaker 2: Know you're scary when even Orcs don't want to come to where you live.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, all right. And so here's what we learned about the Girdle of Melon. And when Thingle came again to Menogroth, he learned that the or coast in the west was victorious and had driven curried on to the rim of the sea. Therefore he withdrew all his people that his summons could reach within the fastness of Neldorus and region. And Meleon put forth her power and fenced all that dominion round about him with an unseen wall of shadow and bewilderment, the Girdle of Melion, that none thereafter could pass against her will or the will of King Fingal, unless one should come with a power greater than that of Melion. The Maya, and this inner land, which was long named Eglador, was after called Dorioth, the Guarded kingdom land of the Girdle. Within it there was yet a watchful peace, but without there was peril and great fear. And the servants of more Goth roamed at will save in the wald havens of the Phallus. All right, So yeah, it describes Meleon's power as fint is unseen wall of shadow and bewilderment, right as she fences this area of Dorioth with this unseen wall of shadow and bewilderment. So yeah, something like you know, maybe what we saw on that in WandaVision right with that, you know, this kind of like invisible dome, invisible dome put over this town, right, maybe it's like an electric fence. Yeah, well, you know, I think something more graceful, probably that Milon's doing an electric fence.
Speaker 2: But probably, but the concept is very similar, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we do we get cured on dwelling over here in the Phallas, which is to the far you know, kind of the far west of the map. Curedon always dwelling by, you know, dwelling by the sea, right, dwell dwelling far on the on the shores of the sea to the west. Right, that's where he seems to like to make his boats. And yes, that is the same cured on that's around around at the end of the third age in Lord of the Rings. He's just much younger at this point. So so yeah, that's the that's the story of the Sindar before the return of the noldor to Bealerion, right, and the Cindar thingle Melion. They will all play a very big role in the rest of the Selmer Million. Okay, so uh that's you know, that's where we leave off with this chapter. One other thing I'll say is that the next two chapters they're a bit more stage setting before the action really picks up again in chapter thirteen. Now they're not super long chapters eleven and twelve, but they we've gone from having a few chapters now of like a lot of action after a lot of stage setting. There's still more, say stage setting that has to happen because we're back in Balerion now, right, and there's some big changes that are happening to the world, right, So we're gonna get We're gonna get some stage setting in chapters eleven and twelve. It it's interesting stuff, don't get me wrong, it's interesting stuff, but we're not actually gonna get back to really the action of the Noldor and the Sindar until chapter thirteen. Chapter thirteen, and then pretty much a lot of action from then on, right, So a lot of action from then on. So that's the nature of the Silm Million, right. Sometimes there's a lot of stage setting and sometimes there's a lot of action.
Speaker 2: It's a good balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I have a quick question, So all of this, this this particular chapter closes mentioning fan Or and his burning of the ships with the tillery, So is all of that, like, is that kind of happening happening concurrently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, that happened in the year well let me hear, look back at my I don't have it right here, but anyway, yes, that roughly, it actually says here in.
Speaker 2: The history of the battle of the First Battle of Balerian was around the same time that then old Or are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually in the same year, fourteen ninety seven. Okay, let's see. Yeah, it says, uh, now new tidings were at hand which none in Middle Earth had foreseen. Now that more Goth and his pits, nor me Leon and Menagroth for no news came out of Aman, whether by messengers or by spirit or by vision and dream, after the death of the trees and the hiding of valen Or in this same year of the Valar, but some seven years after, in the later reckoning of time. So it's like in that year of the Tree, but it's in, you know, within the peer of that one year of the Tree. It's like seven years later, fan Or came oversea in his white ships of the Tillery and landed in the in the Firth of Drinkist and there burned the ships at low Scar.
Speaker 2: All right, right, the same general time period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, year of the Tree is fourteen ninety seven, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yeahs?
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's do a let's do a little hiku, shall we do it? All right? Rock paper scissors? Shoot, you gotta get your hand up. We got people gotta see it. Rock paper scissors Shoot, Boom you go first.
Speaker 2: Mmmm. Dwarves and elves aligne. Stars shine as silver fires, valerion bliss.
Speaker 1: Nice. I like that stars shine as silver fires. Tolkien would have loved that with all of this did. Yeah, it's in the chap Oh man, that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm really impressed that you thought I may be came up with that on my own lot, you know, but maybe I should have keet my mouth shut just taking credit. It's like taking that store bock cake on a pretty crystal platters. Everybody thinks you brought it, you made it yourself.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well I liked it anyway, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 1: There is nothing to under the sun. As they say, all right, here's mine evil chained, peace, reins, kingdoms rise and flourish, free, a long day yet doomed.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, I was pretty happy with that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't beat my silver fires though, you.
Speaker 1: Mean Tolkien's silver fires? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, are Tolkien in my silver fires?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You take credit?
Speaker 2: See I maybe took the words.
Speaker 1: Did y'all collaborate on that credit? Did?
Speaker 2: I think we did well? I think he wrote the words and then I just fit them perfectly into my hiku.
Speaker 1: I see it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, run a lab.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, y'all get us your hiku, get us your IQ. We recorded again a little earlier this week, but so you all get it if you want it right on the episode, you got to get it in early, you know, really kind of a week ahead. Of time if you can, and uh and if not, if you're not able, you can still leave it in the comments below, right, So that's what I encourage you to do so that you can participate in the hiku. All right, okay, you guys, that's uh, that's about it for this episode. Leave us a rating and review. If you're a five star fan of The Tolkien Road, you can help us out by heading over to iTunes you're a preferred source for the show and dropping us a rating and review. When you do that, it helps get the word out about the Tolkien Road, which helps us to keep on everring on and drop us a line. You can correspond us correspond with us in a number of ways. Check out the show notes to learn more. We'll do our best to respond to you somehow and at some point, all right, and we'll get back to you on that live stream. We'll get back to you. We'll figure that out and figure out the date there. Yeah, all right. Well, thank you to our amazing patrons, especially the following. John R.
Speaker 2: Caitlin of t with Tolkien, Jacob blockhom Is, Anonymous Andrew t red Hawk.
Speaker 1: Shannon S. Ryan o, Emilio p zeke f James.
Speaker 2: A, James L.
Speaker 1: Chris L. Check f I, J. V Ish of The Hammer, Teresa C.
Speaker 2: David of Pines with Jack, Jonathan D, Eric, Eric B, Johanna T, Mike M, Robert H. Paul D, Julia Warty, Matthew W. Joe Bagelman, Chris K. Jacobs and Don Jay, as well as those celebrating their patron anniversary this month in April of twenty twenty two. Julia, Rebecca R, Jonathan D and ty M all Right, thank you all so much, and thanks to everybody for listening. We will talk at you next time.
Speaker 1: Goodbye,