Speaker 1: Utah Football. Nine days away from game day.
Speaker 2: Our next guest, one of the best wide receivers to ever play at the You, Kende Scott on a two. Excuse me a Thursday afternoon, Kenneth, Happy Thursday, man.
Speaker 1: How are we doing?
Speaker 3: Man? Doing amazing? Man? Can't complaining. How y'all doing over there? Though?
Speaker 1: We're good? We're good.
Speaker 2: So give us an update, give us a life update. What's what's the latest in the life of kend of Scott?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man? Nothing too much, man, Just out here trying to provide as much education and inspiration on whether it's through you know, public speaking at middle school, high school. Right now, I'm in higher education teaching as a professor, so you know in one of those mediums you know, all allow us to do is just education inspiration, man, That's basically it for me.
Speaker 2: All right? Where you live in these days? Are you out here? Are you back in Cali? Where where do we find you?
Speaker 3: No? I live out here in Houston, Texas. Man. It's the beautiful humidity weather.
Speaker 1: Okay, very nice, very nice? All right, all right, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: So we're nine days away from game day for the youth to somebody who played for co TWI played up here at the University of Utah. What's going on behind the scenes as we're getting ready for UCLA At this point in camp, it's week three of camp.
Speaker 1: There's only one more week and then it's a game. So what's going on right now up there on the hill?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, man, this year is extremely focused. I feel like this year doesn't have as much I wouldn't say, what can I say? I don't feel like there's a much expectation too much, you know, because last year with cameras and everything, well, you know, we had a lot of expectations of, oh, we got to win the Big twelve. I think this year is more so where are they at? And then from there we're going to adjust our expectations accordingly. I do feel like we're gonna have a good year, but we have to see what the first game is and then I feel like week to week we're going to adjust it. But I don't think expectations is too high as it was previous years. But I think we're gonna have We're gonna be in for a good treat this year.
Speaker 2: So as a player, Kenneth, do you like it when the expectations are high? Do you want people to expect you to Yeah, yeah, you know last year, as you reference, most all of us Utah would certainly compete, if not win the Big twelve, and it went the other way. Do you like when the expectations are high or do you prefer when you're kind of flying under the radar a little bit?
Speaker 3: Man? For some reason, I love the underdog mentality because it's like, all right, well I'm gonna show you, I'm gonna show you why I'm this and that. But it also does feel good to get the recognition that you know, we deserve as a as an organization, as a program, you know, throughout the year. So for us, For me personally, I loved coming in as the underdog so I can rise up through the occasion right up to it or show people, you know, what it is we're made of. But I would say maybe the underdog would be the better mentality for me.
Speaker 2: What about Coach Witt, What do you think he prefers? Does he like, you know, the underdog role? Does he like, you know, trying to find ways to motivate you when nobody thinks you're gonna do anything? Or do you think he prefers you know, people understanding how good his team is.
Speaker 3: Man coach with the ultimate competitor that man competes with like compete, compete. So I feel like he loves the underdog mentality because he's the same mindset. He's like, I'm gonna show you. I'm gonna prove to you, Like, yes, I love the recognition, but I want to show you rather than you already putting me up there, I'm gonna show you why the respect is earned. So definitely, I feel like he loves the underdog mentality and obviously respect the process is one of the core things for us, so uh, and only the only way to get that respect is to get it, you know, through earning it, and I think that's the best way he likes to do it.
Speaker 1: What's it? What's a training camp like? Under coach with what you know?
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit different now than it was back in the day because they don't go as hard.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Certainly, the past couple of years for Utah football has been colored with the context of a tremendous amount of injuries and lack of health. So they're trying to make sure the frontline guys stay healthy, but start to finish what's a camp like playing for Kyle Whittingham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like for for us, and you know, in our program, I think the standard has always been the standard in regards to like we want to push each other to the limit every single day. But as you mentioned, you know, over the years, the physicality of it may have tapered off. To be honest with you, I know during my career you can kind of sense it a little bit with you know, player rehabilitation type stuff, just to preserve the players going into the seasons, you know, because we do run, you know, run run to near exhaustion and stuff like that. So I feel like over time, I think throughout every program, you know, over time the physicality and things have tapered down a little bit from previous years, but it's still high intensity. I think more focuses on efficiency nowadays, so maybe it's more reps, less physicalness, but more reps when it comes in terms of that. So I think that's what it's coming to nowadays. But you know, we're always going to be a physical no matter what. But I feel like nowadays it's all right, We're still going to provide that physicalness, but we want to be efficient. So I think more reps, you know, and that comes with you know, lighter practice, less tone on the body, but more more rest to it.
Speaker 2: Though, so of course Cam Rising will always be remembered around here as a legend with with the back to back pack twelve championships and uh, you know, but ultimately, I think the past you know, year or so with Cam was tough around here because we just didn't know if he was going to be able to stay healthy. And now the programs across the landscape of P four are mandated to report injuries. We'll see if coach Wit finds a way to circumvent that process. But you know, the past couple of years, they didn't have to report injuries, so.
Speaker 1: Nobody around here knew if he was going.
Speaker 2: To play, and oftentimes we'd show up at the stadium and wonder if he's gonna run out with his shoulder pad. Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't, and sometimes he did and still didn't play. I think it just caused a lot of consternation around here, Kenneth. So, as as Cameron Rising makes his way to the next phase of his life, how do you think he should be remembered around here?
Speaker 4: An ultimate an ultimate doll like I don't think people understand like at a time where we were like really searching for something, like, man, how can we get over this hump?
Speaker 3: How can we get to this destination? Like cam Risen came in and put put us on that pedal sal It was like, oh man, these guys are rose Bull bounce type type school. This team can put up with anybody the Ohio States, the teams that have all these five star prospects that every single uh, every single position, he kind of showed everybody and not only through his play, but like the cohesion and the culture as well, like everybody not only from the field, but the fans, Like he brung everybody together too. And I thought that was so cool because the effect was not only on the field but off of it. And I think he should be remembered highly like yeah, last year happened or whatever happened, Like we don't know what, we don't know, but I feel like for him, I think we should praise him, like for the things that he did for us, despite what, you know, what other people may say. I think he deserves, you know, to get the glow worry that you know, he ultimately put in the work for so Uh. I think he did an excellent job throughout his career. I wish it would have ended better as far as like him going out on top and actually finishing his playing days. Injuries suck, but I think we should remember him for the greatness that he is still, not only on the field but off the field. Like for the fans, the excitement people wrong, the confidence people wrong in the program, just all that. Like it just like for me, you know, being in Texas, I'm able to strut around be like, look, man, our team was in the roads. Well our team. So it's just that he brong that to you know, to Utah back you know, back to that level. So you know, I commend him for everything he did.
Speaker 2: You know, you can relate to what Cameron went through, Kenneth, because when you were healthy, you were very productive, but you suffered some some big time injuries because you had to miss a couple of years with injuries, and ultimately, you know, that's something that Cameron experienced as well. How how challenging is it when you're relied upon by this community and this to be playing and then you go down and you get hurt and there's nothing you can do about it. What are the challenges in that space and how did you overcome them?
Speaker 3: Man? The injuries? Man, that that was the most challenging because you yourself see you as this figure of what you could be, but your body is kind of telling you differently, like you still feel like maybe you can for the first couple of rests, but after a while, that fatigue kicks in and it's like, dang, maybe I may have lost the step. Maybe I you know, maybe I'm not back to where I once was. And that's the frustrating part because you're always trying to get back to your old self, but your old self or trying to reach another level, if that makes sense. So the mindset piece of it definitely is challenging, especially if you have big dreams for yourself, big aspirations, and no matter how hard you push, no matter how hard you will through it, your body just doesn't hold up. And that could be frustrating because it's something out of your control. And so I commit him on that because he kept fighting, he kept coming back despite all that, and you know, sometimes we get the bad luck of the draw. But if you have a good people around you, which it seems like he did, you know, they kept him high during those times like for instance, like when Travis Wilson had to go through his his situations with his with his brain and stuff like that. You need a good support group, whether it's through your teammates, do your your fans, like you know, if they see you in the community, keep the positive for you like you need that or else. You know, it can turn really bad for someone where they might say, look, I'm done, I'm clocking out, and not in a good way. So injuries can do that for you because you're not that person who people look up to as much anymore because of these injuries that you can't control, and you're not the person that you think you could become too. So it's always good to have a support system around.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you had that while you were here from I mean, of course you had it up at school with the athletic department and the football team, but as far as the communit unity and the fans, did you feel like you had support when you were going through those injuries?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, the support was crazy. I absolutely adored everybody. I loved everybody. It got to the point where people were bringing me like making cakes for me and bringing me sweets and snacks to just make me feel better, and I thought out. And that's why I'm forever indebted to, you know, the state of Utah or the program, the fans, the culture. I'm not even gonna call them the supporters because of what they did to me during my downtimes. Because for instance, my first injury, man almost I was about to transfer on out and LEVI because I was just at first, I felt like alone because I was like, man, I'm from California and you know people are going into the season. But you know, thankfully I had a coach, Rod who obviously at b YU now you know, he loved on me and made sure that I was loved in that moment and not forgotten. And our teammates came to visit me. The fans all wrapped their arms around me in the community if they see me around. And so when the second time happened, that love like with times too, and so I'm definitely appreciative of that. You know, I'm always indebted to Utah for that because they showed me that amount of love.
Speaker 1: I don't know how familiar familiar you are.
Speaker 2: Kenneth with Devin Danpier, the new quarterback here at the University of Utah who spent last season at New Mexico. He arrives on campus with his offensive coordinator, Jason Beck and some other New Mexico transfer transfers as well. So again, not sure if you've been able to kind of dig in and get to know about Devin at all. But what are you expecting from Utah's new quarterback as we approach game day in just nine days?
Speaker 3: Man, it's going to be a new dimension. I definitely I love I mean, I love the way he plays, plays with themost swagger and confidence. That's what cam Rydon had, that swagger and confidence. I love that about him. When you look at his game, it's pretty balanced. He can he can't throw the ball, he can run that ball. And so it's going to be interesting to kind of go back to a real dual threat type of quarterback that can actually really do good in both aspect to the game. It can open up pass and lanes with you know, with his diversity, the dualness of what it can do to the game, and in his counterparts that came with him, you know, the running backs and even a receiver. I like the receiver. I think his named Ryan I like what he does. He put up really good numbers last season, like seven over seven hundred something yards and fifty over fifty catches, So obviously there's chemistry there along with the other receivers that we have, and obviously our old lineman is freaking stacked and good. So you know, I'm looking forward to him being the leader that he is and like really moving that team and that offense along to where we can really make some noise on the office and that kind of keeps up with the mantra of our program. And defense always wins his games, but I mean the office and the whold their way too.
Speaker 2: You know, the irony Kenneth is a year ago, just an average offense would have put Utah in contention for a Big twelve championship because to your point, the defense is always stout and is always prepared and is always ready. Do you have confidence that this year, based off the new personnel, the offense can at least complement the defense and out to put Utah in a position and compete for the league this year this season?
Speaker 3: I'm hoping That's what I'm hoping. You know, it's always tricky because the new transitions. I know, I mean, every year I was there at Utah, we had a different offensive coordinator and a different system, and so I know how that can take time, you know, to implement. But luckily for us, the quarterback and some of his weapons are coming over here, so it's not gonna be as steep as a transition. So I'm assuming that we're at least I'm knocking on what them hopefully we can average about twenty seven points, twenty six, twenty seven. I'm hoping right, because I think this is a high offen, the high scoring tipe of the league nowadays, especially in the Big twelve, and so I'm hoping if we can put up some larger numbers will be good. But I think we can. We can do it. I think we can do it. We have some weapons, we got chemistry from their past teams, and you know, I think we're still balanced across the table when it comes to offense and the weapons. I think, you know, we put together in a symbol pretty good people from transfers, etcetera. And I think their experience coming in, I think we should be good.
Speaker 1: You reference the balance.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested, Kenneth, to see what that looks like this year. On this team because you point out the offensive line, all five starters are coming back. ESPN ranked their top one hundred players in college football yesterday. Spencerfano was number seven in the country regardless of position, so a lot of people think he's like a top ten pick. The other tackle, Caleb Lowmos on the a sophomore, Karen komp Is a captain. Michael Mokafisi has thirty three starts. Like, so, we know that the old line is awesome. We know that they have two running backs they like. We know they have a quarterback that can really run. Part of me believes this will be a run heavy attack. But what sort of balance do you anticipate from Utah's offense this year?
Speaker 3: That's you bring up a good point. So I think since we know that too outside looking in, I'm assuming other team's gonna think about the same and it's gonna be a more packed box. Maybe a single high safety rather than too high. Uh. Single high safety just means there's gonna be more people in the box. You know the safety is gonna come down. That just gonna offer more opportunities on the outside to make plays, and even the slot players too. So I think that's gonna allow us to do, you know, have more matches on the outside for big plays and shoot with that type of offense, and having you know, our quarterback being a dual threat, he is shoot one on one in the open field. Man he could take something that as simple as a read option and take at the distance. You know. So you know, I expect us to have some big plays just because of you know, even if us outside looking in know that we have a good office line, we have some good running backs and a quarterbacks a dual threat. We could we can expect to be about sixty five percent run, sixty six percent run, and then the rest being uh uh, you know, whether it's play action, you know, those type of aspects in the passing game. So I think a stack box going allow more bigger plays on the outside, which is gonna kind of make us a little more effective out there. That's gonna be pretty good. I'm excited for it. Actually.
Speaker 2: So you played the wide receiver position, and it is the positional group that most people have the most questions about because you know, Zach Williams kid.
Speaker 1: Was thought to be the number one wide receiver.
Speaker 2: He transfers to USC they're they're all they're all new, and if they're all new, they're all transfers.
Speaker 1: We don't know much about any of them.
Speaker 2: So as somebody who played the position, what should we be hoping for? As far as watching a group of new players, what's it like to play wide receiver at Utah?
Speaker 3: For Kyle whitningham Man, I was hurt when Zach when he left the USA. No, no, no, bring him back. Come on, man, he did so well and I think it was the UCF game he was falling. But you know what you can expect. I always say this, man, it's not that we never had the like the talent at the position. It's just a matter of opportunity when it comes to it. And so if you are a receiver, just know that a lot of times you may have to put your ego aside and be like, man, you probably most likely are not going to get ten catches a game or ten of tips a game. You're gonna have to do the dirty work and do whatever it takes in order for us to win a game. And if that's four catches a game, three catches, three attempts, whatever that is, you just got to know when that ball is in your area, in your way. You just got to come down with it, right, make the mostion. And so in translation, the receivers if they can go to a weed mentality instead of an eye, just like, man, I'm gonna try to get ten catches, that's a cool aspiration. But you know, think about the team too, because when it comes to our offense, it's more about you know, when the opportunity does come, you just got to make the most of it. And just know that we are traditionally a run offense, and so you just got to be you got to access some things you got to accept, right, And so I think when it's coming to a receiver in you just got to accept like, Okay, I may not be a thousand yard receiver in this offense, or whether I can still be productive in regards to the run game helping my running back if I hit this safety download now he's a single. Now he's one on one with a person and he can take it the distance, right, And just those unselfish acts that doesn't show on the stat sheet, that's going to make you value by a receiver in this offense. And then when the opportunities does come, you just got to make sure what it. Make sure it's your way to keep the possession going, or make that big play on the outside when it's one on one and we really need it to shift the game. So I say, also say all that had to say. As a receiver in this offense, just know that you know you're going to put your ego aside and do what's best for the team, and just know when something comes your way, just take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Current state of the sport is always something I'm interested to talk about former players with.
Speaker 1: Then let's start here.
Speaker 2: Is it still weird for you that the Pac twelve is dead, that there's not a home for West Coast football?
Speaker 3: I am hurt by that. I am hurt. I grew up with the pac Kins, watching USC and Oregon and even man, it hurts. I'm not gonna lie. It hurts me to the core being the West Coast guy. And no disrespect to the current teams in the in the in the New Pack, no disrespect, but it's not the same. It isn't the same. So I'm hurt by that. I'm being honest and I don't like it, but I'm trying to understand it and be honest. I'm trying to understand it and accept it, but I don't like it. I'm just gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 2: What do you think about Utah's current home, the Big Twelve. I mean, it's just a different thing. It's a different footprint, it's different road trips for fans, it's it's it's an entirely new experience.
Speaker 1: What do you think of it, Kenny.
Speaker 3: Ah, It's okay. I mean, I'm selfishly it's okay for me because I know we're gonna have a game in Texas like this year. I see we're going to Baylor, so obviously I'm gonna march up to Baylor with Waco, Texas to Wathton play Baylor. But uh, I honestly feel the way our program is structured, we either belong in the Big ten or if we had enough, I might say that we had enough. If we consistently show we have firepower as much as we do on defense on the office end, I think we can be an SEC type school honestly, because we have a strong stout defense. In every SEC school we play, we handle ourselves pretty well, and so I think we're a big CAN type school and hopefully within the next couple of years that can make it happen, but then again doesn't change the road tripping aspect of it. But I think final destination big twelve, I mean Big ten. But I can put up with the Big twelve currently because selfishly they're going to be showing up in Texas where I can watch them.
Speaker 2: The other thing that has changed, Kenneth since you were on campus is the ability of football players to profit off their name, image and likeness and make a little bit of money and in some cases make a lot of money. I always wonder how that lands with guys like you that had big personalities and we're really really good and probably could have made a lot of money if the rules were a little bit different. Are you happy that we have the change? Does it kind of make it cringe a little bit that you weren't part of it?
Speaker 1: Give me your thoughts on.
Speaker 3: That it's too way this duality to it. So for me, I'm happy for them, But oftentimes the things I see make me unhappy because it lose the essence of like the realness of the college experience. I'm gonna be honest, man, that locker room is sacred, like sacred, Like I just remember the good times, but we didn't have as much where we'd be like, man, bro, we don't need noodles. But you know, we we bump up together as far as the same apartment or something, and we just squander up a few dollars just to go down to catch the tracks to the taco bell on the four hundred South, and you know, it's just you miss court memories, you know, those type of court memories like it was back then where we didn't have we used to have to we couldn't. I think the only thing we can have is like a bagel or a piece of fruit, like to where they can give to us. And so those memories, you know, those are prime memories for us. Like but then again, on the other side of them getting paid for you know, their name, image and likeness, it's cool. But as long as they know what to do and they align with the people that are paying them, Like if I'm them, I will make sure if I am partnering with someone, make sure that they're aligning to my desired outcome in my future. That can not only maximize my working on right now, but for after sports. And I mean the missing key is them. Man, if they can build relationships with this nil landscape that can not only set them up for now, but for later too. I think that's the goodness of it. But then you have predators out there that could take advantage of the student athletes as well. So it's both ways. For me, I wish I had it, you know. But then again, I look at my current situation, I'm like, nothing really changed other than the monetary stuff. I think the relationships for me is what was the real substantial piece through my college experience and the network that I build. So long story short, I like both sides of it. I mean I like one side of it, but I hate the other side of it.
Speaker 2: No, it's well said, and you reference relationship Kenneth. So before I say you lose, which are your former teammates do you keep in contact with? How connected are you to the alumni base man.
Speaker 3: I don't want to single everyone out because they like, well what about me? But I do have a lot of a lot of folks that I do keep in contact with currently right now, I know, I don't know if I can say too much of it, but we're trying to put together a former athlete association type things where you know, we can always keep that bond through different eras, right and so me right now, I still follow up with basically all my receivers from every era that I've played in, and even my quarterbacks. Like I know Travis Wilson, He's like one of my bestest friends. You know. I surprised him by a couple of weeks ago when I went to Cali to check up on him and to see him. And so, you know, I do have friends, you know, obviously somewhere out here in Texas. I watched their kids and it's crazy to me that we all have kids and stuff like that. So it's pretty cool. I make sure I stay in entrenched with my teammates because you know, those are memories that are forged in my mind that I'll never forget, and so I make sure I love on them from time to time because I understand the transition could be hard, but if you had a support system of the people that was with you during hard times and good time, man, it makes the transition much better.
Speaker 2: Where can people go find you on social if they want to book you to speak? Where are some of the touch points people can find you, Kenneth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, So on Instagram or Twitter. They can find me at Kate Scott Underscore too, and if they would like to book me to speak, you can go on my website at Kenneth Scott dop me and they obviously email contact informations in there as well. And I'm excited about uh, there's a future product that I'm going to be putting out here soon. It's a software product that's going to help you know, current high school student athletes that are potential college hopefuls. So I'm excited about that piece, which I can elaborate more once it is finally said and done, you know. And my whole goal is to and help all the student athletes, whether it's high school, college, whatever, prepare for their next step, not only right now but in life too.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, buddy, Hey, thanks for the time. It's great to catch up. You stay safe and we'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds great to me. Man, Thank you guys so much. I appreciate you all right.
Speaker 2: Kennith Scott, former wide receiver for the University of Utah, now residing in Houston, Texas. I always appreciate the opportunity to catch up with Kenneth. What do you know, it's time to start thinking football, and we're only a few weeks away from the best time of year, so it's time to prep your field. Make sure you're using IFA is step three for the weeks ahead when the weather is still hot, but as the dog days of summer give way to fall, it's time to start thinking about step four our fall and winter lawn fertilizer. Either way, you can find out more by visiting IFA dot co op online