Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Forty seven degrees, lots of rain out there in Boston. It's eleven o'clock on Thursday. Good to be with you. I'm Nicole Davis today. To have those umbrellas handy because we've got a late spring northeastern bringing the rain.
Speaker 1: We're really going to have an impact on the drive home. A lot of flooding on streets as well as in more Line and four drainage areas. And this lingers into the first part of tonight as well. Expect some coastal flooding near times of high tide later today and tonight as well.
Speaker 2: Not exactly whether's Joe Lundberg could also see wind us up to fifty miles an hour near the coast. Get a full check of the forecast in just a couple of minutes now. As this dreary storm rolls through, travelers for the holiday weekend are heading out.
Speaker 1: Call it coincidence or call it luck, but these folks had the right idea for the holiday weekend traveling to Florida. Florida. Yeah, it's like it's back to winter up here in Boston, but should be nice and sunny Florida.
Speaker 3: It's going to be ninety degrees down there, so we're looking forward that.
Speaker 1: It's the perfect time to get down there as we're getting a one two punch of wind and rain thanks to the northeaster. What's the game plan? Well, how are you guys going to celebrate the weekend over there?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: We have family down there, so we're gonna hang out with them and dinner, dinner, Cruz and the beach.
Speaker 1: Heck, even Minneapolis is expected to have better weather than us, which Hallie is planning to take full advantage of golfings. I just checked my golf was going.
Speaker 4: To golf like all three days.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be sixteen sunny, so it won't be great, but it'll be better than here. Yeah, all right, all right, get out of here and Logan. James Rojas w b Z Boston Snooze Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, go on, all right, It is going to be a little bit tough to get out of Logan today. We've had about fifty flights delayed so far, forty five already canceled, so be sure to check ahead before you get over to the airport. Eleven oh two on Capitol Hill, House Republicans. After an all night session, we're able to squeak through the President's massive tax and spending bill, passing that measure by just a single vote. Your CBS's Caitlin Huey burns.
Speaker 3: It cuts billions in federal spending to medicaid, foodstams, and energy subsidies. It also increases spending though on defense and immigration enforcement, and it extends makes permanent Trump's tax cuts that he passed during his first term, and also delivers on a key campaign promise to eliminate tax on tips and overtime pay.
Speaker 2: The bill now off to the Senate, where some Republicans have already said they're opposed to the measure as written. Well, it is certainly going to be a very wet and blustery day we have in nor'easter that has pretty much arrived, and it's only going to keep ramping up throughout the morning into the afternoon. All of us seeing rain at this point, some of it heavier than others, especially on the south coast. Right now you're seeing some very heavy downpours, and same situation on the islands. Martha's Vineyard seeing torrential downpours out there toward parts of the mass Pike, Auburn and Southbridge. You're seeing heavy rain parts of Rhode Island and Connecticut are as well. Now as we make our way through the day, the winds are going to start howling up to about fifty miles an hour by the coast, and later on tonight we could have some coastal flood problems out there. Minor splash over as we get toward high Tie between six and eleven, but still enough to be a bit of a nuisance if you're right on the water. All this moving out through the overnight, temperatures holding today in the forties. Tomorrow we will see a bit of steadier rain coming back later in the day, but a couple of showers from most of our Friday in a high year fifty five four your Saturday starting off the weekend, cool breeze, couple of showers in the high in the upper fifties, and believe it or not, we've got some sun coming on Sunday. We'll take that and a high near sixty Right now forty eight degrees and raining in Waltham forty six. Some heavy showers moving through Ipswich south of Boston. It is pouring at the Cape cog Canal forty seven degrees in born and in Boston at eleven oh five gusty and rainy and foggy and forty eight degrees. It's pretty common for universities to tap their alumni for donations. For Harvard, though their newest donation pitch involves taking on the Trump administration.
Speaker 5: Harvard President Alan Garber announced the launch of an alumni fund, hoping they can rake in some major donations to make up for the millions they've lost in research funding slashed by the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: I think it shows like their integrity and their.
Speaker 5: Commitments around Harvard Square. Students are supportive of the school, not buckling to the demands when it comes to changing campus culture and eliminating certain programs, but the loss of funding is having a big effect.
Speaker 3: Especially because they're doing a lot of important research.
Speaker 4: I think that it's important to stand your ground.
Speaker 5: And this is all happening one week outside of Harvard's commencement, where many alumni will be heading to Cambridge in the coming days.
Speaker 3: Federal government, especially should be able to trust universities.
Speaker 5: From Harvard Square. Jim MCKAWBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Two, Israeli embassy staff members in Washington were shot and killed last night. Has happened after they went to an event at the Capitol Jewish Museum. Police said the suspect, Elias Rodriguez of Chicago, right after the shooting, walked into the museum saying quote, free, Free Palestine. It was then taken into custody by secure.
Speaker 4: President Trump overnight reacting on social media to the deadly shooting in Washington, DC, writing on truth social quote, these horrible DC killings, based obviously on anti Semitism, must and now hatred and radicalism have no place in the USA. The President added that he extends his condolences to the families of the victims. The Israeli ambassador to the US said at a press conference he had received a call from the President last night pledging the support of the US and combating anti Semitism. Karen Travers ABC News Washington.
Speaker 2: And at eleven oh seven. Federal authorities are investigating a shooting in Virginia at the CIA headquarters. It's happened this morning, here's CBS's Jennifer Jacobs.
Speaker 6: Sources told CBS News that CIA security shot a female driver who approached the main gate and failed to stop. The woman was taken to a medical facility with what officials believed were non fatal injuries. The CIA and the FBI were looking into the matter. Jennifer Jacobs, CBS News.
Speaker 2: The White House and ahead of a Memorial Day weekend, the state is taking time to express their thanks for those who have served our country. Today is the first ever Military Appreciation Day at the State House. Whilemakers have been asked to bring a member of their local military community to be honored in a special ceremony. Former Joint Chiefs Chair General Joseph Dunfer delivering the keynote. Ceremony getting started around one o'clock in the House Chamber. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Nicole Davis WBZ and Boston's News Radio