Speaker 1: Seven nine. If you about kerrise the talk station. Happy Wednesday, boy, I'm so glad Americans for Prosperity, Donald and Neils joining the program right now. I'm talking about HB ninety six. Welcome back, Donovan. It's great having you on this morning, Brian. Always good to be with you. I started off the show on a bit of an angry note because apparently in this budget bill, I don't know if they're still considering it, but it's certainly in play. The idea given the Cleveland Browns six hundred million dollars or some financial assistance so they can build their two point four billion dollar megaplex new stadium, and they're seeking one point two billion dollars in taxpayer money to help fund this new this new thing, and a lot of it's coming from the Cuyahoga County, but at least the state taxpayers look like they may be on the hook as well. I know this isn't what you wanted to focus on this morning, but it certainly got my anger up.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, happy to talk about it now. You know it's part of the budget, right, and uh yeah, but why that was I planned to talk about, right, And that's our argument as well six hundred million dollars state taxpayers coming out of this budget through bonded issue to pay for brown Satan. Here's the deal, Brian. These things never pan out. Despite the most conservative of conservative estimates from special interest lobbyists who fight for these things, right representing the Browns or any other group, they never pan out the way they're being sold. And so you mean, are the return on investment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they always claim the return on investment is going to far exceed what the taxpayers are out. Oh my god, it's going to generate so much jobs and so much income. And that's a lie, that's not ever true. And they just cook the books and just throw this out there as if you know, thirteen games or however many games are played in these massive complexes results in this net advantage to all the taxpayers. It's nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think you know, when you look at NFL teams, you look at you know, Fortune five hundred corporations across the board. These folks continually come to the taxpayers asking for a handout, asking to be asking to have their investments covered, and promising economic development on the back end. And again, none of that stuff ever really pans out as good as it's sold. We want development, right, We want people to put their projects here, We want world class facilities. We just don't want the taxpayers to have to be on the hook for these things. And I think you look through history, regardless of the way you structure these deals or what you do, and it never quite hits the way that it's that it's sold to the taxpayers, the lawmakers, by the special interest groups. And so you know, in a budget that does a lot of things in many ways, some good things, this is one of those things that I think folks need to continue to make sure their voice is heard on and express their their frustrations and concerns.
Speaker 1: About all Right, Well, pivoting over to the subject matter that you wanted to dwell on in connection with this bill, let's talk about well, funding for schools. I know that people had some wild ideas about how much money was going to go to schools, and summer suggesting this is a decline in amount of spending two hundred and twenty six million dollars sort of burst in the bubble of some that wanted a whole lot more funding for the for the schools.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, those folks were making. You know, who are complaining about that or are frustrated about that increase? I think are FOOLI issue you're bran the idea. None of this stuff is promised at the beginning of the process. Right, we do a two year budget process. And you know, anybody can say any number they're looking for they want, but you can't say that, you know, you wanted a billion and now that they are offering, they're the proposal is two hundred and fifty million. That they've cut you by seven hundred and fifty million, right right that it's a sillyness. The reality is the state spending or state spending, and that's pariament they're making.
Speaker 1: Brian, I know where did one point eight billion dollars come from? I think probably inspired via somebody's sphincter, But that's not connected to anything close to reality.
Speaker 2: No, it's not in two hundred and fifty you know million and some change. Isn't isn't any insignificant amount, especially when you factor in, you know, appreciate Senate or Speaker and Finance Chair Brian Stewart mentioning this the school districts are sitting on a ten billion dollars cash bounce. This is money in the account. Call it a rain day fund, call it a you know, a savings account, whatever you want to call it. The idea here is they got this cash bounce, and they're sitting on the money. So I think even the two hundred and fifty million they're putting to the school districts that are already sitting on a ton of cash is still two hundred and fifty million more than we probably really need to be spending there, especially when you look at the need to cut taxes, rain and spending, and you know, ultimately accomplish what we think should be done in education, which is funding families by making that money follow the child.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm all in favor of that because I believe in the school choice. But you know, I guess the teachers get a little bit of love. They got increases the maximum amount of teachers can deduct from their state income taxes for classroom expenses to a few hundred dollars, which not bad, but certainly has some limitations. I like the idea that the state also is reducing the size and the scope of the Board of Education eleven elected officials and eight appointed members, going down to five appointees. A small cut, but a cut nonetheless, And I'm not sure the State Board of Education serves the students in the schools anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is something I think they're following through ass some reforms made last session where they gotted the state school board because you really had kind of this situation where when people need to be held accountable on education outcomes in the state, people would do that gesture where they're pointing both ways, different ways, right, The reality is they so they move that under the governor's authority, so we know that if we're not getting the app outcomes we're looking for an education in the state, the governor the executive is ultimately the one accountable, and we can engage the legislature to hold them accountable. So the state school Board is a redundant function in many ways, and so right sizing it to serve its purpose, which is licensing of teachers, is a prudent move. You don't need as many folks drawing a paychecker hanging out in Columbus.
Speaker 1: Amen to that. Let's pause, We'll bring Donovan O'Neil back. There's more to talk. Oh, we got to Claremont County veteran services. Next, we can't do that. Well, let's just pivot over to syntaxes. What is a sin, Donovan and Neil, isn't the beauty in the ivy holder and isn't sort of a syntax just a justification to put a tax on literally anything you just designated as a syntax.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I mean I'm drinking a cup of coffee in that. You know, that's sin for some is the sin, right, But it puts me in a better mood on a on a gloomy Wednesday morning. No, so, you know, And that's the thing that I think is really good that the legislature and as we were meeting with members, they were, you know, they were hearing the message a lot of care from constituents. De Wine had proposed a number of different tax increases in his executive version. The House Committee removed all of those tax increases, which is a good is a good tone to send, right, we don't need to be increasing taxes here in the state of Ohio. And Subhouse Bold ninety six, uh does that by by removing those from the executive version. I think they're gone. I don't think we'll see them come back. But has always remained vigilant.
Speaker 1: If there if we have a call to action before we part company today, Donovan, what is it today to get in touch with them and tell them that the fund the Cleveland Browns or what else.
Speaker 2: Well, you could certainly do that, but you know we are consistently engaged you. There's a number of really good policy pieces that are moving beyond the budget as well. Get with get involved with us by going to buckeyeblueprint dot com. You can sign up get in the fight. We're having folks come to the state House. You can join us. We'll set up meetings with your legislator. Buckeye blue Print dot com Bucky blueprint dot com. And thanks for AFP's actions and efforts in Wisconsin. I know it didn't work out, but I know you're responsible for engaging at least six hundred thousand Wisconsin residents and an effort to get the conservative justice elected. Of course you were dealing with an uphill challenge given the state of Wisconsin. But thanks again for everything you do at Americans for Prosperity.
Speaker 1: Donald O'Neill will have you on again real soon. Thanks Brian my pleasure seven thirty seven fifty five KRCD talk station. Thank you Joe Strecker for reminding me still. Steve Belzo Claimant County Veteran Services coming up next about veteran ID cards. We'll get to that after Affordable Imaging Services is given. That props for me and getting ready to have my image done. You. I think about a week CT scan number three at Affordable Imaging Services save myself heaploads of money because if I went to the hospital, it would probably set me back maybe five grand, which is just mind blowing to me. Since a Affordable Imaging Services and a CT scan without a contrast is only four hundred and fifty dollars. You get a contrast at six hundred. Echo Cardiograms get you right in the door. You don't have to wait a month like you would at a hospital, and they'll only charge you five hundred dollars without an enhancement eight hundred with it may set you back as much as thirty five hundred dollars maybe more at the hospital. Every image at Affordable Imaging Services comes with a board certified radiologist report included that you and your doctor will both get within forty eight hours. I know the prices are hard to believe it's very low overhead there, but they have the same kind of equipment hospitals are using, and it's never been a problem for my physicians with the CT scans I've gotten there. So go ahead exercise your choice. Five one three seven five three eight thousand. That's seven five three eight thousand. Learn more about pricing and information at the website Affordable Medimaging dot com fifty five KRC. The talk station brand Steenters kangaroof has provided except