Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray WBS cost some new radio.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been a long time since a member of the Snunu family was not running the state of New Hampshire. But early in January, Chris Sanuna, the governor of New Hampshire, who I say is the best governor in the country and has been for years, is going to step aside voluntarily and joining us now is none other than New Hampshire Governor Chris Sonunu. And I'm delighted to call you a governor, as will always call you governor, but I can call you governor while you still are governor.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Chris, how.
Speaker 4: Are you hey?
Speaker 5: I tell you, man, I got to carry you around and do my intros all the time.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 5: If a politician's ego couldn't get any bigger, I'm not gonna be able to get out of the room my head so big with an intro like that.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh well, it's meant from the heart. It's as simple as that. I think you've done a great job for the people of New Hampshire. We are elected four times, you probably could have been elected another four times.
Speaker 3: There's no term woman up in New Hampshire the governor's.
Speaker 5: Office now, no, no, no, no term limit. But I think we all just appreciate that it is public service, not public career, and uh, it's just a time to go. And you know, I think we did great for the eight years we had. You got to let someone else come in there. Obviously, Governor elect aot is coming up. And I know you know that because Massachusetts was massively inundated with all of those commercials coming out of Boston during our our heated elector election season. So Kelly's gonna do a great job. But yeah, look you just got to know, uh, you know, not overstay. You're welcome, unlike pretty much everybody in Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: Does at this.
Speaker 2: Well, you you had considered the possibility of running for an office in Washington. I know you said, hey, that's not for me. Uh, and then people were thinking, well, maybe this guy's going to run for president. It's been an interesting year. I mean a year ago at this time, they Republican primaries and all of that hadn't even started. Uh, and you kind of got yourself into a war with uh these now President Electnald Trump. How my understanding is that you and the president haven't talked The President elect haven't talked much in the last few months.
Speaker 4: Correct, H No, not not since he's been elected.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, we fought hard in the primary, right, That's what primaries are. And I got behind the see and I you know, we wanted to galvanize behind one candidate and make sure that he earned it in the whole nine yards. And you know, he did great. She almost won New Hampshire, which was I think shocked a lot of people. It just could carry the month. And that's fine. And you know, to Trump's credit, he won the primary and he said, okay, this is our guy. And and when you elections are about choices and as much as the President and I don't see eye on style all the time and approach, and I'm always kind of thinking next generation in terms of leadership within the party. You know, I think he ran a great race. Obviously through the general election. We all got behind him and and we you know, America got behind him. Really, I mean it was it was pretty resounding win. I think I think everybody agrees he won by I knew, we knew he was going to win, but to win every swing state, I think that took a lot of people by surprise. After twenty and he's movement. I mean, the guy's not sitting on his hands. I mean, you got to give him some credit here. He's still in positions, he's doing the job, he's doing this efficiency stuff. He's, you know, pushing folks to actually get results, which I don't think he did in seventeen and eighteen, and that's why we had a really tough time in those eighteen elections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I wasn't convinced that he was going to win, and there were so.
Speaker 3: Many events that occurred.
Speaker 2: I look back and I think there's still a story behind why Joe Biden's people put him out for that one on one debate in late June.
Speaker 3: I think there's a story.
Speaker 2: There, Governor that there were people in the White House who did not want to admit it publicly, but they felt that Joe Biden's time had passed as a viable candidate. And if you remember, Biden caught out one morning and did this thirty second very early.
Speaker 3: It was all all on tape. Hey Donald here, you want a debate, Well.
Speaker 2: Make my day, and within an our CNN that struck me as a little weird at the time.
Speaker 3: Did it you truly? Look?
Speaker 5: I think I honestly think the whole thing post March was weird. On Biden's side, I think Jill was driving stay in, stay in the race, I think is what he was listening to his wife, and she wanted him to stay in. As far as why he did the debate so early and all that sort of thing, Yeah, I think I think there's gonna be theories abound, and there's no doubt that there is no love lost here between anybody in that White House.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, has nobody seen Kamala and and Biden show up in public together in months? I mean, they just don't even talk anymore. So my sense is at some point there's a few books out there that are going to be written where someone's filling the tea about all the dysfunctioning in there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, I'm just gonna just wonder, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Just wonder if it was it was a coup within the White House in which they all said, look, this guy doesn't have the legs for this, he can't run a marathon anymore, and we got to do something to get him out of the run.
Speaker 5: But you think Jill would have said something, right, don't you think? I mean, I think it's a great thought. But you think Jill, who saw what was going on and thought they, you know, we're not backing down against this Trump guy. She was just so hell bent on going forward. You think that she or some of the other family members would have seen it. You know, I have to tell you that I met Biden a whole series, you know, maybe half a dozen times over the past year. Four out of those times he was fine.
Speaker 4: He was fine.
Speaker 5: I meet him at the end of the tarmac as a governor, I always say hello. He goes on his way and I go on mine. And usually now when he's not there, it's a bit rambling, it's a bit lost. But I can see how they thought. You know, more often than not, he's he's on enough, he doesn't have to move around at the podium. They just gave him. Whoever coached him gave the worst instructions. Because the worst part about that debate, I mean, now we're really going backwards, but the worst part about the debate was when he wasn't talking. Actually believe, as bad as his answers were right, he had this weird angry face on he he he had this lost stare, and everyone went, Okay, this guy just just isn't isn't with it. So, I mean, look, who knows, who knows what the reality is that? Uh if I have to pontificate on the Democrat Party right now, they've got a they've got a DNA problem, is the way I put it. They have some real structural problems. They have a generational problem with the younger voters, these socialist progressive that you know that you know, I think it's okay to support terrorist organizations like Hamas who fundamentally hate them, and and that's not going away. They still have a woke problem, which a huge part of the party thinks is okay and and and should be driven on. They still have a huge part of the party that thinks that every dollar should be spent on a message of abortion and women's healthcare and reproductive rights, which is a critically important issue. But they don't do it in the right way and and people aren't voting on that. So they just have a lot of internal strife right now. They got to they got to fix in the meantime. Frank, I don't care. I just want the country to move forward. I just want so.
Speaker 2: The last question on politics, and maybe we'll get back to it, is that the thing that that surprised me about the Trump campaign was that after all the years in which a lot of the I don't know, you know, the the the Republicans like like Bush and McCain and Romney, tried to broaden the base of the party, none of them were successful. Even you know George Bush, you know from Texas, and uh, you know, well Jeb Bush, who who's whose wife was Hispanic? And Donald Trump rough gruff. Donald Trump got a larger vote. I mean, he cut into the He got surprisingly surprising support from black men and and and Hispanic men, and he.
Speaker 3: Got surprising support from women.
Speaker 4: I mean, and you know if.
Speaker 5: I made that. Those are the two data points that I looked at really closely back in July, August and September, and I went, Okay, he's got this because people were talking about the national poll number. But what and what was out there was that he was clearly going to win. This was very well known. He was clearly going to win more African American, Black and Latino votes than any Republican his He wasn't going to win a majority, per se, but he was going to win a bigger proportion of those than ever any Republican in history. Right there, the gut tells you he's got this thing right. You can't pull that kind of feet off and lose, you know what I mean, especially when you saw what was happening around if you looked back at the at the real data points of the inner some of these cities that were voting Biden or Kamala whoever, the Democrats clearly weren't going to carry it with the margins they needed, and that was going to swing. Atlanta wasn't going to swing hard enough to move Georgia. Philadelphia wasn't going to swing hard enough to move Pennsylvania. Detroit wasn't going to swing hard enough move Michigan. And a lot of us got a sense, okay, he's really got this so.
Speaker 2: And then you know, but then when when you when you pick up Democratic base voters, every time you take a vote away and you put it in your column, it's really two votes.
Speaker 4: It's two votes.
Speaker 5: And that's the working class problem that the Democrats have. They no longer represent working class Americans. They they took it for granted. They kind of wipe I mean the way I think bird the way Bernie Sanders said it is brilliant for kind of the wrong reason. But Bernie said, Democrats walked away from working class voters, and then working class voters walked away from the Democrats, and and they just kind of took it for granted. They've become a bit of a of an elitist party. You know, it's the PhDs, it's the woke suburbanites and all this kind of garbage as opposed to this people that work hard, maybe pick up arms and fight for this country and just you know, try to take home the day's pay. And when you ignore those folks, and most importantly the economic impacts of that, the open border impacts to those people, and and the lack opportunity when you talk about no school choice and know this and know that all the restrictions and big government restrictions they want to put on these families.
Speaker 6: It adds up.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm a pretty middle of the road guy, but it really does that up. And someone said I was on I don't know CNN or something, and they said, governor, you know, as you know, how far to the right has America now moved and I said none, No, No, America hasn't moved to the right. It's a Democrat Party that walked away from America, the Democrat Party that slid way left, because you know, in two thousand and eight, you saw that that famous clip where Hillary Clinton said, if you're an illegal and you break the law, you're getting deported right away. No Democrat would say that today. I mean, would Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama talk about defunding the police, know, but it's common speak now within in the Democrat Party or open borders or this woke stuff. And so the Democrat Party is the whole slid way left, and America is still right where it is hard work in God bless it, patriotic America. You know, we were not perfect by any means, but damn it, we're better than everybody body else, and we're proud of our country and we should have to say we're sorry all the time and apologize to each other, and you know, live by pronouns and all that garbage. And so that in itself, Americans went, Okay, enough of this. And what they got with to your original point, if I may, what they got with Trump wasn't the McCain and Bush. We're voting for these guys on policy, they're voting for Trump on disruption. Right, nobody trusts the establishment in DC, Republican or Democrat. They're not fiscally conservative, they don't get enough done, they raised tons of money. How are all these people millionaires all of a sudden, So there's a huge distrust in that. And Trump is still seen as the outsider, the adjitutor fuel that doesn't care about disrupting the establishment and breaking some eggshells on the way, and breaking some eggs on the way, because as we all know, DC can't get any worse, it can't get more dysfunctional. So let's get somebody innail that's at least got to challenge the system and shine a light on it. So again, you know, he and I don't see eyed eye on everything. You know, I think we're getting on pretty well lately. But but at the end of the day, that's I think what what people voted for, more than the intricacies of policy.
Speaker 2: My guest is the Governor of New Hampshire, Christanunu. His analysis is spot on. I have a couple more questions politically, and then we're going to get to phone calls. So if you want to talk to Christinunu, if you want to ask a question six months, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Also six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We already have callers in the line. You folks will be first. I'm going to ask you to be as direct and uh in terms of your questions. We don't need speeches from callers. We need questions and challenge questions. That's fine too. Back on Night's Side with the outgoing governor of the State of New Hampshire, I say that somewhat reluctantly on behalf of the people of New Hampshire. Back Frida after this. Pier, by the way, is a New Hampshire resident and she is a big.
Speaker 7: Fan of Kristinunu. I want you to know that. And she is a thirty something and early thirty something aka Marita aka Lightning, and she's a huge fan of your style and the effective of your years up there. Absolutely back on Nightside right after this with Christinou.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Joined tonight by Newhmshare Governor christ Sinner, who's the eighty second governor of New Hampshire, elected and re elected a total of four times. And he is not leaving because I think he would have won very easily if he wanted to run again.
Speaker 3: Two quick questions that I want to get to phone calls.
Speaker 2: Governor One, did you ever think that a Democratic presidential candidate would spend over a billion dollars twice as much as the Republican candidate actually end up think twenty million dollars in the hole and lose as dramatically and as clearly as the vice president lost.
Speaker 5: I mean, and by the way, someone made that money, right, I mean, some campaign staffers, media buyers, scammed the hell out of that campaign and took all those donors' money, not even including you know what, do they say, twenty million dollars on the last day just for concerts something like that, Lady God, all this stuff and.
Speaker 2: All the people they were paying billionaires money to endorse them, crazy crazy, insane. And then the last question is how surprised were you that Harris Vice President Harris bypassed the governor of Pennsylvania in favor of Governor Wallas, who I think, in retrospect was a horrific choice at another levels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, huge mistake, but best thing that ever happened to Governor Shapiro. They would have lost even with Shapiro. I'm realizing now he maybe he would have carried Pennsylvania. But and ultimately that might have been the end of his political career, right, other than just being governor, right because people would have said he had his shot. I think he's going to come back in twenty eight and run and he's going to be a clear favorite. I think he's a really nice guy, super nice guy, very ambitious, but nice guy. The Democrats actually have a few governors in the wings, and I'm not even talking about Gavin. Gavin's a Gavin News Some's a knucklehead Californay're.
Speaker 2: Down in North Carolina. Is somebody that we should that the Republicans should be aware.
Speaker 5: Of, I think a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Cooper Wes Moore, the governor of Pennsylvania, army guy. He and I are good friends. He's he's a really great guy. I think Whitmer will go after it out of Michigan as a governor, So I think there's a real possibility there.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 5: We'll say it's going to be a wild ride.
Speaker 7: Oh well, this has been a wild ride. And it's what's amazing now is it's like the Pacific Ocean. Everything is flat and calm, and whoever would have expected that? I mean I and and everybody's going down to see him in mar Lago, all of the tech giants and stuff. I hope that he doesn't get over cocky.
Speaker 3: I hope that he.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I think he's going to be measured. I mean I always say this is his ninth year. Really, you know what I mean. I mean, he's he wasn't president for the last four, but he's really been kind of head of the party and he's in his ninth year. I think he's still obviously fiery, let's not be that's not you know, downplay that. But I think there's a sense of measured and I also think his team is much more professional. His chief of staff Susie Wilde, is great. The team he's putting around him aren't a bunch.
Speaker 8: Of rookies like he had before.
Speaker 5: They know what they're doing and they and they know what buttons to push and they know that again they have to deliver. I mean, he's set a huge bar in terms of changing stuff. So he's got to he's got to really focus on his next six months and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: And it's not often you get a second chance to make a first impression as the president.
Speaker 5: I think that crazy of all people too, he's gotten like a twelfth chance to make a first impression. I mean, if you go back to like nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I know, but but I'm just thinking that you've got to go back to Grover Cleveland's time and Being Harrison's time, and there was no no microscope under which these folks are looked at. Let's try to get a quick call in first four you and then we'll we'll we'll get to more phone calls.
Speaker 3: Right after the play got to go to Bill and Danvers.
Speaker 4: Bill, you are on with yes, yes, yes, Govin.
Speaker 6: I wanted to thank you for your ten you're definitely leaving New Hampshire better off when you found it and uh and you also came out strong for Kelly Ayott, which was excellent. I was happy with that result. My business in southern New Hampshire, I was in the middle of a lease extending it out and it was on my mind which way New Hampshire was going to go. It was going to go towards the Massachusetts way on steroid, so it was going to stay in New Hampshire. So and the legislature even got more seats, which was great. And uh and and I hope in the future, Uh, you know there's a Senate see that. I believe in the next midterms. I think it's Shaheen. I don't know if she's running again, but uh, if not, I I think you'd be a great guy for that. You know, I think you should run.
Speaker 5: How about that A small A small business owner in southern New Hampshire sounds like sounds like the next center. I'm not going to run. That stopped for me. And I don't think. Yeah, we'll see what happens. I don't think Shaheen's gonna run. So I think there's going to be some opportunity on both the dem and and Republicans. But you know, I don't have the patience for DC.
Speaker 6: I really don't.
Speaker 5: It's one of my shortcomings or or my great attribute attributes.
Speaker 6: Depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 5: I just don't think they get enough stuff done. I think I would drive them crazy demanding just that we actually do something anything. Let's go so no, probably not for me. I'm excited to go to the private sector, make some money. And if you can't make politics a long term career, it's maybe at some point I'll get back in down the road. But I think my family's excited for me to take a break. But I appreciate the vote of confidence they do.
Speaker 3: Thanks Bill.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and there's a lot of a lot of small guys like me. We were all very happy with you your tenure, especially during COVID. You save that paid Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks Bill, have a great night. Well, take a quick break.
Speaker 2: My guest is New Hampshire Governor Chris Sanudhue. The only line is open is the one that Bill was on six one, seven, four to ten thirty. Will get as many callers in his we can. Whether you're from New Hampshire or not, feel free join this conversation. Uh, this is a a young governor.
Speaker 1: Just.
Speaker 5: Fifty, that young brother.
Speaker 3: Come on, oh, come on, fifty. You don't know how young you are, trust me.
Speaker 5: Feeling it fifty on election night came out. Can't believe that turned fifty on November fifth. Not quite, not quite a way to have a fiftieth birthday party. But the results all turned out great. But you know it was a little there was.
Speaker 2: A lot to celebrate there. Let me tell you We'll be back with christ more phone calls. Feel free join this conversation again. I I've said what I said about him many times, and uh, he he will. He'll come back in some form of fashion. I think we'll Well, we have not seen the last of Christanna. I think that there's I think there could be a great career uh as a media commentator.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. He he has the ability to now do several things.
Speaker 5: It could be media. It could be like a Jacob Marley thing like this, come and haunt the media from time to time and rattle my chains around Christmas.
Speaker 2: That would be perfect. That would be perfect. Pack hut Night's side with New Hampshire Governor Christinuda.
Speaker 3: Right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray IBZ Boston's news.
Speaker 2: Radio, Glad to be joined tonight by the outgoing governor of the great state of New Hampshire. We are going to go far west to Laurie in Idaho, who governor is a former New Hampshire resident but a huge fan of CHRISTANDU Lauri.
Speaker 3: Welcome. Here's Chris Sanudu, hi governor.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 9: I wanted it well, obviously, I grew up in New Hampshire and I loved it then, I love it now.
Speaker 6: I will be back.
Speaker 9: But I wanted to thank you for spending your eight years being just one of the most effective and energetic governors. I think we've ever had.
Speaker 5: No slight to your father.
Speaker 6: He was effective, but he sure didn't have your energy.
Speaker 4: So thank you for that.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to tell him that, remind him that he doesn't have my energy.
Speaker 3: Well, what you do?
Speaker 10: What's going on?
Speaker 5: You got to come back to the lift for your die state.
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 9: I am well so well. I came out here for the aging parent thing, and then while I was out here, I needed hip replacements. They were just horrible. They had been forever young, like a degenerates thing. When I was there, I don't know whatever. So I'm out here until the final appointments and all that stuff are done and I can effectively move and all that stuff, and then I will head back because every parents are no longer here, so I have the freedom to go back.
Speaker 5: Well, while you're out there and recuperating, I'll have Governor a little check in on here from time to time. He's a good guy.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Laura is one of our most loyal listeners uh in Idaho, and she is a huge fan of you governors and fun No, she's she's she's just an amazing fan of this program.
Speaker 3: I know she's listening every night the great state of Idaho. So that was yeah, well, coordinator, Okay, there you go.
Speaker 5: My first time will be morth of the Snake River out there.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I'm not up in sand Point so I'm near an hour from the border. Oh but anyway, I just wanted to issue a Merry Christmas and happy New Year and best luck on your next chapter.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Merry Christmas, have a great one, Get recuperate and get back here soon.
Speaker 9: Done right, Thanks lad, Thank guys, Thanks Dan, Thanks Dan, Thank you soon.
Speaker 2: Let me go from Idaho to Pennsylvania, where Luciano will wait.
Speaker 3: Luciano all was Governor christ go ahead, Luciano.
Speaker 11: Thank you Dad for taking my pa call.
Speaker 6: And happy Christmas to both for you.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm Philadelphia born and raised and this is where it all starts. I got a question for Sinoda. The lady governor. I heard her two days ago say she's gonna welcome National Guard to clean up the message of this matcy legal invasion for the past three and a half years. I'm Puerto Rican. So what do you think about that, lady Governor of New Hampshire where she stated that, And what do you think is gonna that Massachusetts government? She's a radical Democrat and what's she damn what do you think she's gonna do? I hang up in this and thank you take care about so you know, that.
Speaker 5: Is really one of the most common questions we're getting right now, all the deportation issue and all the deportation stocks talk. So I'll say this, I have no doubt this administration is going to start where it needs to start, which is illegals that are committing crimes, violent crimes, minor crimes, whatever it is. You break the law, you commit a crime, you're gonna get deported. I mean, that's it. And that's a pretty huge phase one right there. Beyond that, I'm not sure where it all goes. I think they need to do uh some they obviously they need to not I hate using the term close the border, but you know, close the open parts of the border and force everyone through the ports of entry, right, and that has to come with a stay in Mexico policy that has to be reinstated. But it all starts to come with real immigration reform, right. And so I personally don't think twelve million people or whatever it is, are going to get deported out of here. I think it affects the economy too much, and they'll have to be some type of compromise there. They're really going after the criminal element more than anything else, and they might make some structural changes as well, and that's fine, but in terms of rounding people up and you know, you know, all that kind of stuff. I think when a lot of the governors, myself included, said, look, we're going to help. We're going to provide assistance with on the law enforcement side where we can and where we can where we are allowed to to again primarily go after these folks that are committing crimes, have committed crimes that we're allowed to stay. And so that's it. That's that's really I think everybody's top priority, and he's a top priority of the entire country. Frankly, it was the number one, number two issue, right behind inflation. So, and it's it's why a big part of why Trump got elected because the alternative was just a disaster. So I mean that's it. I mean, as you know, I'll I'll let you answer for more because you know, I think we all know where that's probably going.
Speaker 3: Good lord, Yeah, well you know the other part of the equation, and you're a mathematical guy.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're an MIT guy, which many people don't realize, and you're a scientist and an engineer. We only legalize naturalize about it less than a million people a year. We're a country of three hundred and thirty million people. I think that if that, if President Trump is smart, he will ask Congress to increase the number of people who can be naturalized, maybe as much as two or three million people a year. But we got to know who they are and what talent they're bringing to the country. And you know, there are people around the world, doctors and nurses who might come here from places like Bangladesh who could help us in the medical field. We don't need more lawyers, you know, particularly you know guys like me from Ireland. I mean, they're going to go to the back of the line. And I just think that that he needs to look at it holistically and look, you know the statistics better than anybody. President Obama deported in his time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, three and a half million people. He was he was known at that point as the Great deporter.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's and that's kind of it's just kind of going back to those kinds of policies. And but to your point, I think you bring up a great point. I do these naturalization ceremonies all the time. They're great. By the way, it's one of the funnest things you do. I get the attend as a governor. It's a party. You have one hundred people that have waited for this day their entire life. They all get sworn in at the same time. The smile on their faces is huge. You could double that number and be successful. Open up those ports of entry, don't not not a wide open door, but a process where more people can get processed. You record them their information. You know, you cut down on the drugs coming in, the sex trafficking and the human trafficking, the cartels that are making you know, billions of dollars handover fist on this, you know, corrupt open border, all of that absolutely has to stop. But you you enhance the ports of entry. You enhance so you make really really good doors. Think of it that way, right, really strong walls, really good doors, and and you appreciate that. You know, there has to be a process by which these people and these folks that want to come here legally and safely can become Americans. And that's what we want. That's what that's what America is really all about. It's not it's not about open borders.
Speaker 2: Stronger, stronger walls and wider doors. The other thing which I think they can do is people who are coming across from Mexico and other countries and who are providing farm labor. You know, give them credit if they if they work you know a certain number of growing seasons, they.
Speaker 3: Get fat, they get a fast path to become a US citizen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know A big one too, if I may, is like I know a guy from Romania and and you know he has family members that have been here for years illegally, and you know they're good, they're working and all that, and they want to become citizens. But to do that they actually have to get up and leave, go back to Romania and go through the process there. So there has to be a way to say, Okay, we're gonna let you go through the process. You can stay here. If it doesn't work out for X and reason, you got to go. But we're not going to make you get up and leave your business, leave your family, go back to your home country every single time. And I'm not saying that's for everybody, but there's clearly a group of individuals that you can get and start processing that way, the right way. Right. So, there's just some structural problems with the system that could very easily be fixed. And my guess is is there's just so much pressure on this issue now that that they are going to be forced to do something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I know the President elect has said he said something about the so called dreams the other day, which which I think a lot of people would be willing to consider that as part of a package, as part of it, which would.
Speaker 4: Absolutely it's got to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got to be in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go to Ron and Ron, you're next on nightside, go right ahead with Governor Chris Sanunu. If Ron's not, they will put Ron on hold and we'll go back up to put Ron on hold for me, please, Rob, I'm going to go up to New Hampshire. Al is in New Hampshire, Al you were next on nightside with your governor. Govern a son to go right ahead out. Okay, we got problems sleep.
Speaker 5: You know, we got hard workers up here. Dan, They're they're working hard all day. Sometimes they're gonna fall asleep while they're waiting on the stone.
Speaker 2: God bless, I have no idea he wasn't waiting that long. Let's go back to Paul in Nashua.
Speaker 4: I want to know what the years you a governor? Why was it never a bottle bill test in? That's stay because Vermont has one main massive Connecticut in New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you mean a bottle bull like to return the bottles and get five cents or whatever it is. You know, I don't know, to be honest, that never has never come up, is it? And it may be because there's enough private entities that already do that. You know that even though we don't have a five dollars a five cent return, there's private entities that will take your return and give you money regardless of what they can is and where it's from. And recycling has gotten obviously very very popular. So I'm not sure it's nothing that ever ever really came up as a as a hot button issue.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, I can tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, Okay, that's good question. Direct to the mostest.
Speaker 5: Thing we ever had to that, Dan, you know, if I made the closest thing we ever had to that. You know, it was a big controversy. They wanted to ban plastic bags and ban plastic straws and ban all that, and I was like, hell, no, we're not doing that. You know, people are making the right decision. They're they're going to recycle straws and bags and all that on their own, because the government does need to force those decisions and drive prices up on folks and cause you know, you know, chaos in the system because the government got overly involved. We didn't force anyone to do it. But guess what, we shall have one of the highest recycling rates in the country. So you know, you got to trust that people know what to do, and trust that they will make good decisions for themselves in their community. So you don't always need to have a government, you know, mandate and enforce it.
Speaker 3: What a concept I meant?
Speaker 7: You said, that there are private interest up there who will accept bottles and cans and make a profit on them.
Speaker 3: And yes, that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so lets them do it. I mean, it's a it's a it's an interesting for us. And and you know, if you go to the supermarket, you see all that. We have our coinstar machines, we have our candy recycle machine. And it's not a government mandated a fee.
Speaker 6: That's that's effectively that drives price up.
Speaker 3: It die.
Speaker 7: My brother has a place up there. He loves New Hampshire. He's a retired state police lieutenant and he and his wife up to New Hampshire.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: We have so many retired state police out of Massachusetts that retire up here. It's unbelievable. I mean, obviously, and I know a lot of them. They're great guys. But that pension down there, you have a God bless it. It's holy cows out a lot of money that these guys can retire with. And they all come up here and live tax free because we don't. I got rid of the interesting dividends SAX too, So if you're living on a retirement, we don't tax the elderly anymore. I mean it was crazy. Yeah, what a unique concept. It's your money. It's your money, not not my money. It's not the government's money. It's your money. Keep it for God's sake and.
Speaker 7: You and you even gover elected three three times, elected four times. That's maybe people should think about that. We'll take a break. We're going to get everybody in. I hope we'll take a quick break back with Governor Chris Nudu, Governor of New Hampshire. We can still say it for a couple of more weeks. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Up makes, Let's go to Ron and Ron you are next door Nightside.
Speaker 8: Ready, my Dan, thank you very much. Apologize for that. I think I pressed my ear too hard. But any way, thank you for Governors NEWDA for leading my home state as well as you have and showing us what terrific leadership is.
Speaker 10: We need.
Speaker 8: We definitely need more of you in the country. I have one question, actually initially it was what do you think should be the most uh in terms of priorities for reducing the violence and some of the gangs that seemed to be increasing, But do you seek to answer that pretty thoroughly.
Speaker 5: That The follow up question before that is.
Speaker 8: Of recent I've read hundreds of Wall Street commenters.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 8: Between what's being posted online and what even one of our senators had to say recently, the intel worries me. You know, if you think about what fell through the cracks from nineteen ninety three up to two thousand and one, we failed in some ways in terms of our intelligence.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on what we could do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, do something in the near future. No, So it's a great question. A couple of things, And let me jump on the intelligence one first. In this world, firsus, cyber is everything, right, So cyber is information. So you got to stay ahead of the game. America right now is ahead of this AI game. And let me tell you, I mean, when it comes to terrorism, the next the next form, the real form of it coming down the path is going to be large shutdowns, utility risks, and things of that nature. And I just say that because I do a lot of top secret briefings and a lot of cybersecurity intelligence briefings on our infrastructure, not just in New Hampshire but across the room. Because we share so much of it. But also on the international side is if America is strong, they can leverage what again, and we're not right now, I think we're getting stronger with Trump in there, we can leverage what we need to do internationally to get our international partners to be tougher, you know, I mean, Ukraine's actually a great example, right So you've got to find a way to bring some sort of peace and resolution the into Ukraine. But they need to got to have to work with them, because as we all know, a lot of these international not I don't want to say physical terrorist organizations, but these internet scammers and folks that have threatened our infrastructure are all over Eastern Europe and that and again you need partners to bring that to bear. And the most important thing is also transparency of information. Right now, we as much as we put all these agencies under homeland security, they still live in silos. The FBI is still over here, and the CIA is still over there, and you know, all the different sub agencies still have a bit of a siloing problem, uh and and a kind of a feastom problem. And and I think there's still a lot more work. So they're communicating more seamlessly, and there's a less less duplicate duplication of efforts, because that's just wasting time and and and you end up really falling behind. But the next the next realm of terrorism out there, you're going to see, I think more of it come out of Asia, some of these groups out of Asia, and more of it out of again continue out of out of Eastern Europe. It's not just you know, it's not just the Middle East and the Arabs and all that sort of thing. That's that's old school thinking. It's still going to be an issue there, of course, but you've got to think a little broader.
Speaker 3: Thanks Ron, great questions, Yeah, thank you, thank you much.
Speaker 2: Let me get Al in New Hampshire. I'll give you another shot here at the governor. Go right ahead, Okay, Al's not ready, he's not ready. Let's move.
Speaker 5: The street tonight. Dan, he's very busy, he's on he's getting the star all not crooked and everything.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's funny. They sit there for a long time and they're not ready, and it amazes me.
Speaker 2: John is in Plymouth, I'm assuming John and is Plymouth, Massachusetts, as opposed to Plymouth, New Hampshire.
Speaker 4: It is Plymouth, Massachusetts, Dan, go ahead, thank you for the show. Yeah, thanks very much. I love the show. And probably more than sixty years ago, John F. Kennedy wrote a book called Profiles and Courage where he talked about eight US senators who did the brave, honorable thing for the country, even when it required sacrificing their own careers possibly as a result. And that was very inspiring to that generation. And I've worked with young people most of my career and I don't hear much inspiration at all. I hear a lot of cynicism about politicians being in it just for their own gain, and you know, they're all making money off their investments in Congress, and nobody will stand up for what's right, and you know, politics and politicians. I just be interested in your thoughts about do we have a lot of honorable, strong people in those positions now?
Speaker 6: Look local? Yeah, great question.
Speaker 5: So I honestly believe the more locally you look, the better the better you're gonna find. So I mean everything from folks on your school board and the planning board and the selectmen and all and city councilors and all that. Those folks aren't usually doing it for the money per se. I don't know what the deal is in mass Chusetts, but they're not doing it for the money, you know. And I'm not just saying this because I'm an outgoing governor, but you know, when you look at polls, governors are vastly more trusted than anybody. And that really came out of COVID. You know, governors kind of led each of their seats individually. They didn't get to go home. It was twenty four to seven. Some did well, some didn't, but at the end of the day, they were all accountable, right, So there's a sense of transparency and accountability that comes with local leadership and and and so they tend to be a little more trusted if you're talking to that next generation about you know, about that cynicism, because I see that all the time. DC is a mass DC is a freaking disaster, it really is. And and I think McCain, I think campaign finance reform is a huge problem and is desperately needed because there's so much money in the system. I think jerry mandering has locked up too many of these idiots into into positions for too long, and so they can get lazy, if you will, about constituent service and feedback and staying connected with what's happening back in their districts. And term limits. I think term limits would be you know, hugely valuable. Everyone says they'll do it, but no one does it, right. It's it's such a joke down there. So and I think fundamentally, if I may, you know, let's go to something super super simple, like a balanced budget every state, right, even even blue states that don't handle their finances so well. Sometimes every state has to live by a balance budget. So when you screw up, you gotta at least make make up.
Speaker 4: For it pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: Washington does it. There's no sense of accountability. And so that is just one example where America looks at Washington. Young people look at Washington and say, these guys get to play by their own rules. What's with that? And which is again why Trump, someone like Trump can get elected. So I totally get it.
Speaker 6: I agree with it.
Speaker 5: I think there's some structural, is simple structural changes that DC couldn't implement to fix that. But when trying to talk to kids about civics and good government, look local, and I look, New Hampshire is different. Right, we have four hundred members of the House of Representatives. They've paid one hundred bucks a year. No one's doing it for the money. No one's doing it for the glory, no one's doing it for the headlines. They're just doing it because they love their communities, Republican or Democrats. So there are there are really good stories, usually more locally driven, and the system does work. For all our flaws, our institutions believe in art are actually strong. And you know, don't don't don't tell them, don't watch the news, get you got to get their heads out of social media and all that crap. If they dis look around their own communities, they'll see some real, real inspiring stories.
Speaker 2: I think, great question, great, great question, John, and great answer. Governor, govern unfortunate, flat.
Speaker 3: Out of time.
Speaker 5: Know what am I gonna do?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 3: What am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: You're gonna go home and spend some time with your family, and it's gonna be great to relax.
Speaker 3: Look forward to seeing you here in Boston in March. We can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll be down there in March. It's gonna be a good time. You gotta you gotta show me around town.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you we got we got that one all set up, and UH, just again thank you for for all that you've done for the people in New Hampshire. And you have set uh a standard that every governor should should aspire to. And I just thank you for and I thank you for being so accessible to us and accessible to your constituents New Hampshire.
Speaker 5: I think thank you for my dad, my dad texting me as we speak right now, by the way, tell Dad hello till Danna. I got it, Dad, don't worry.
Speaker 3: A lot of had a lot of fun over the years, that's for sure. So we'll we'll be in touch right after the new year.
Speaker 2: And enjoy your last couple of weeks because it's going to be it's gonna buy, gonna go buy real quickly.
Speaker 3: Enjoy Christmas. Merry christ every one in the Sonoon family.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Merry Christmas to you and your entire staff. You get the best staff in the business.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 5: I really appreciate him.
Speaker 2: They're great. They're great. Thanks, thanks so much, Chris. All right, govern to Christ and talk soon. Okay, bye bye. If you'd like to stay on the line with us and talk about Christ, feel free. But we had an hour and uh, you got to call in early to get in. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 3: Back on nights side, right after the ten o'clock news