Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: John eight o five here Kentucky had his morning news on news Radio eight forty WHAS Nick Coffee with you. Thank you all for hanging out with us. Don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. We've got the full crew here, Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, and of course you just heard John Shannon there. I need to do a better job of reminding folks that if you want to contribute to the show in any way or just share something with us, you have the option to do that on the talkback feature. So if you listen live on the iHeart Radio app, you'll see there's that little microphone there and whenever you whenever you click on it, it'll prompt you that you've got thirty seconds to share whatever it is you want. And I didn't check it yesterday, which I was a little little busy thinking about the Well, we're always busy during the show, but I was making sure I was well. Honestly, I had some paranoia. I was worried that maybe for some reason, this interview with Me Greenberg that I've been promoting all morning would like somehow fall through. So I kind of forgot about you guys on the talkback feature, so I won't do that anymore. And I mean nearly three weeks in two and a half weeks in there's at least one person that says they they like what they hear. I hope there's more than what.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if i'd like you, Nick coffee, but I do. You and Scott are doing good. And I love this feedback portion never heard of it before. Love it. And you called it talkback, I might call it feedback, have a great day about.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and you can call it whatever you'd like, ma'am. And there hasn't been, at least not that I have seen anybody insulting us or saying that the show is terrible. So you know, I'm not inviting you to do that. But again, you can do whatever you want. But trust me, I don't want to make it something that is just simply where we just play people saying they like what they hear, because that wouldn't I mean, that wouldn't be good radio. That's not what this is for. So anyway, anyways, just know that that's an option. Just for example, yesterday we were talking about the recent accidents that have taken place here in Louisville downtown where you've got semis getting in accidents, and there have been actually a lot of them. However, the ones that stand out are the ones where you see the cab of an eighteen wheeler hanging off of a bridge, engulfed in flames, or stuck hanging off of a bridge where you have to have the first responders rescue them. Those are the ones that stand out. But it's not just that that's happening. And we had a trucker that is that I call him a should I say truck driver? I don't know, it's like truck I feel like, I don't know. I don't know if truckers are I don't know if truck drivers are sensitive to being called truckers. I don't really know. But either way, it was a truck driver who shared some thoughts and also shared that when he went through the training to become a Certified Truck Driver CDL that they were there to get you best prepared to pass the test, not necessarily the best to drive. So that's just a good example. I think of how we can use that, and it's my job to remind you of it more. And it's my job also to utilize what we have and let people hear that. Hey, if you do use this feature, you could hear your voice on.
Speaker 3: The radio, you know.
Speaker 4: And what's cool about it, Nick, is it allows people when that thought is in your head. I do that throughout the day, and there's days where I'll be thinking about something. I actually leave myself notes just because I've got too many. I've got too many things going on that they simply won't come back. So if you're listening, and it's a very easy feature, I think doctor Pat Carroll sent us a message as well, And if you're out and about, you can just press that button if you want to weigh in on the cars and what you think they're doing, and weigh in on Tim George. I'd love to hear what folks are thinking. Because what's funny about having that is the first thing when a big story hits is I always go to social media, and I go to our station social media because that's the best source for seeing what people are talking about and what's driving their train. And that's what we want to accommodate here in News Radio eight forty WHS is what what is on their mind? A people thinking, and you can certainly tell when you see people react to the topics they do, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So again, if you use the iHeart Radio app, it's very easy to use. You just it's that it's that microphone. And I think there are still some people that that you and I'm I'm I'm fine with those that power the iHeart Radio app to to kind of lean into it a little bit. But I guess I can see how it's confusing. But some of the promotion, the marketing, I guess that you hear throughout our family of iHeart Radio stations that are that are mentioning this feature. They do play some that come through to where you can tell they click the microphone not knowing they were interacting with the show. They thought they could click the microphone and tell the app what you want to listen to, and that's that's not the case. So again, just want to remind you guys of that feature. All Right, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also, what I want to get to coming up in just a few minutes is the latest with the the brief pause that we had as far as who Donald Trump really wanted ICE to to prioritize as far as these immigration rates. The pause didn't last long because clearly the economy is going to be impacted if in fact they're successful in getting rid of everybody who's here illegally that happens to work in industries that rely heavily on migrant workers. So the prioritizing of immigrations also with the economy, I mean, that's a balancing act. And the inconsistency in the last week or so, I think it's a poor look. But that's just my thoughts. We'll talk about it. We'll talk about that and a lot more as we move forward. Here it is eight ten at news Radio eight forty whas. It's a fifteen here Kentucky. This Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you for hanging out with us. We've got an update of sports coming your way in about ten minutes. And one of the things that has been really an ongoing conversation for many months now is the future of TikTok here here in America. And Donald Trump is expected to sign an order extending the TikTok band deadline once again. This is going to give the owner of TikTok ninety more days to sell the video app. It's the third extension since talks first started. I think in the spring is when it really kind of ramped up, and I imagine we'll probably continue to get extensions until it gets it gets worked out. But Donald Trump says that the extra time should let Bite Dance, which is the name of the company that actually owns TikTok, to find a US buyer and finish a deal that protects Americans data. I'm I'm of the belief that, and I don't want to make light of it, as if it's something we should just laugh off. But I kind of feel like with every with everything that I do on my phone, as far as my data, my info, I mean, I feel like people already have access to it. Maybe that's just me being you know, cynical, but either way, I love TikTok. TikTok is something I probably love too much. Meeting I spend I waste too much time on it, but you can really get lost and just it's got a It has an ability. I think, of all the social media platforms to find an algorithm that that best suits you, and you wonder How did they know that I would find this funny? How would they know that this hits my sense of humor? So I'm hoping they can keep TikTok around. But I also know that for to get to the point where we've had to have multiple extensions because of the access that they get to our data. I mean, that's a real thing. They're not doing it because it's it's nothing. So hopefully they can they can find a buyer and when it comes to those that are believed to be in the market to purchase something like TikTok, which again, by the way, it is and I know some people still think of TikTok as this app where kids get on there and dance, and certainly people do that, and you can find that within TikTok, But there's different worlds within TikTok. I mean, there are one hundred and twelve million US monthly active users on TikTok. Nine billion with a B is the gross merchandise value from the TikTok shop. The average daily time that Americans spend on this platform those that are active on it, is fifty one minutes. I don't know if people realize how insane that is. TikTok for at least a couple of years now, has taken the lead as far as being the social media platform that not only people use the most, they spend more time on it than they do anything else. And it's easy to do because you know, I don't know if anybody has a schedule where they say, okay, I've got thirty minutes to dedicate to TikTok, but you open it up and then you realize thirty minutes have gone by.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's great because I like to play in the kitchen. I love exploring your recipes. My pet peeve you were talking about those earlier are recipe websites because they're just chock full of pop up ads. You got to look forever to get the recipe. You gotta get through this I can. I've gotten so many good recipes off TikTok. They don't have that. And then you know when for example, another reason why TikTok is so good to your point, like, let's just say I eat on a pretty normal schedule. I try not to snack when I'm sitting on the couch until it's time for me to eat. Well, way I fight that off is I go to TikTok, and it keeps me preoccupied and it diverts me away from wanting to have to eat, and so the next thing, I know, half hour later, Oh it's time to eat. That's cool. But I there's definitely from the numbers you're throwing out there, there is a clear market for see a need filaed. There are advertised. There are people that see this and they know this is wrong. And I think that's why we keep seeing the deadline extended, extended, extended. If they could find the magic formula where they're not extracting data the way they say they are. But then how is that different from say Facebook, because we heard the same thing that people say that about Facebook. You'll be talking having a conversation, then lo and behold, something pops up in Facebook. You were just talking about.
Speaker 2: Of all the platforms and the algorithms that all of them have, Facebook is the worst. I'll just be scrolling and I don't know why Facebook thinks that I want to join a group that is, you know, Valley Station soccer moms like, no offense to Valley Station soccer moms. Why what about mas social media experience has you thinking that I belong and said group begin no offense to, and I don't think that's a real group. But I see all the time things that I'm that I'm being targeted with, and I'm thinking, okay, like, if you're gonna listen to what I've listened to my conversations on my phone and have have info that I don't know how you get it, but you target me with it, Like what do you what are you listening to? Like, at least give me something. A lot of times whenever I see something that pops up on anything the Internet, any platform, and I'm like, wait a second, how do they know that? I was just thinking about that? A lot of times it's convenient. I'm kind of happy, Hey, you're right, there's a reminder I wanted to buy this and now there's an ad for it. So anyways, Oracle has been frequently mentioned as a strong candidate to purchase the company. They've got an existing relationship with TikTok and they've they've apparently they're at the top of the list as far as I guess, most likely to make the purchase here, So we shall see. But I don't think TikTok's going anywhere anytime soon, and selfishly, I'm happy about that. All right, We've got an update of traffic and whether coming your way. Also another update on sports right here on news Radio eight forty WHS eight forty seven Here at Kentucky, Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas we are wrapping things up here on a hump day, and we've got the one and only Tony Vanetti with us. Did you get a chance to watch the Cardinal nine yesterday? I hope you watched? What the Cardinal nine? The baseball team? I'm just throwing random baseball term?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's wrong? Is that a thing?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 2: I think the Cardinal nine is referred to as the Louisville baseball team. And again I feel like a poser in a way because I don't really follow baseball at all at any level. However, postseason baseball in the College World Series, clearly it's much more interesting and I'm willing to watch and love watching when Louisville's playing. But even if they're not, like I would say, it's the most appealing baseball to me on television.
Speaker 3: It's fun and I got to tell you, it's a perfect time and we just had the Assumption team in yesterday and I mentioned to the coach, I was like, how hard is it to get the seniors to focus because they graduated May seventh or eighth or something like that, and they had prom and they had all that stuff as the playoffs were going on. Same story with college baseball. The semester's been over forever. But this is perfect timing for the World Series, right, there's nothing else. So Jackie is out of town, she's in Pittsburgh for business. She's in a bar watching watching U of L play. I'm in Louisville watching It's captured the city and it was fun and again we thought we had it melt down and then the comeback. It's just it is. It's nerve wracking. I'm not a baseball guy, same here, so I did so watching it again, all the nuances to everything is crazy and I don't know, I don't know what they should be doing or which way to bunt the ball.
Speaker 2: But Dan McDonald, I mean, they could not have scripted a more dramatic three games that they've had. All of them have been insane as far as the you know, the way it played out in their first loss, which of course they avenged that yesterday by beating Oregon State, but in the in the game against Arizona, I mean, what a what a comeback for them, And then yesterday it was it looked like it was going to be one of the all time meltdowns, only to then rally at the very end and walk it off bases loaded.
Speaker 3: No outs, and you're thinking, if they don't do it, You're like, you let that go, no outs and bases loading. Alls you need is one run.
Speaker 2: And had they lost, I mean I believe it would have I think most fans would have say, hey, that was a great there was a big bounce back for dam McDonald the program because it had been a while since they had that kind of success in the postseason. And I think, you know, just a loss without without that kind of a meltdown, it would have been a bummer. But had they lost in that fashion, it would have been a little bittersweet. You knew that they did make a big step forward and clearly they needed it, but man, that would have been a tough way to go.
Speaker 3: But what a scene the video of him in the game before where he's in the dugout, we're not waiting to the ninth. We've got four innings. We're going to put the ball in play. It's like a It was exactly like a movie, and he delivered his lines perfectly. I've never seen that side of Dann McDonald, right, like nobody's seen that side. He's also he's always stoic, has the right answer. He's one of the best human beings on the planet. Sometimes good things happen to good people, and that's what happened at the end of this year with him.
Speaker 2: You said it last Friday before they got started in Omaha that this was a little bit different, just because there's somewhat of a there's there's a little bit of house money. Yep. When it comes to just they had no momentum when they ended the ACC Tournament and they got in and had to play the number one overall seed in Vandy, and they they knew they had they were up against it, I mean, playing Vandy in Nashville, but they rallied, got it done, knew they weren't expected to win, and they've just been playing loose and look at what they've they've been. They've been in tough situations as to where like most teams, I think would have wil to. But I think they're just they're loose knowing they're they're not. They weren't expected to be here. And that's the difference in this trip to Omaha compared to the others. And how about the fans. I mean, on TV, it looks so great and you did sports for a really, really long time and social media wasn't then what it is now. What I think is really awesome to see that fans will never not love is when coaches of other sports are so clearly genuine when they're supporting when they're there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean there was a baseball player who put the UFL football helmet on after he got a big hit and he posted on Twitter and tagged Jeff Bram and then Jeff Brams responding like, hell, yeah, we're supporting you and the guys like, I mean, one, it's genuine, but also fans loved that stuff. We didn't have that with with Petrino and Patino.
Speaker 3: No, no, they were well that whole system wait and we can go back. And since Tom is coming back, there was the three silos. You know, there was Rick, there was Bobby, and there was Tom and everybody. You know, they portrayed the big family, but there was the three silos. Rick had his people, Bobby had his people, and Tom his people. And you know, we used to have that conversation on the endless sports shows three Hours of ull.
Speaker 2: Do you think that was a factor in one of the factors in why Tom was so much more visible in his role as athletic director than elsewhere because Petrino and Patino won and fans clearly loved that, but they weren't real accessible. They weren't in any way relatable. I don't think you'll find a duo that was coaching at the time that was more unrelatable to fans than those two. But Tom was visible. Tom was everywhere and that it worked. I mean until it you know, until it didn't.
Speaker 3: No, it was. It was a golden era of U of L sports. There's no doubt about it. And I don't know if you ever have a twenty thirteen ever again. I mean, who does what's.
Speaker 2: Cool does especially with this climate. I mean, you know, you can go up and down every year just because players can do whatever they want now they can leave. Yeah. Whatever the news came out yesterday about Tom, I've just since then, I've just been thinking about the era that was the Tom Jerch Air and of course how it came to a messy end. Does it seem like it's been as long as it.
Speaker 3: Has well, how long has it been since he left.
Speaker 2: It's been coming up on nine years, nine years. So part of me says it was he's a different world. Part of me says it was a few weeks ago when he was here.
Speaker 3: What a different planet we lived on.
Speaker 2: Much different And he has been away and when he does come back, he's certainly not visible, and that surprised me a little bit. I mean, the guy was below.
Speaker 3: No he's not, because his son is. He's part of our parish. So they're they're here in Louisville.
Speaker 2: Well really yeah, yeah, I didn't know his wife and the kids are holy trending. Well, I'm hopeful that the church family, and there's a lot of them can be here for this big, big day because I know it's going to be a special to the fans, that's for sure. All right, Tony and Dawider coming up next right here, and he was ready to avoorded BHS