Speaker 1: Hey, y'all. I'm JB. Southseva, a writer at Texas Monthly and host of Texas Country Reporter. I'm also hosting Texas Monthly's latest podcast, Viva Dejano, the story of Teano music told by the people who lived it and have been shaped by it. I've gotten to talk with some amazing artists for the show, and I'm excited to share those conversations with you. This is a personal story for me, the nostalgic sound in my childhood, but also a sound I hear today in places where I least expect it. Here's the trailer that Texas tornadoes.
Speaker 2: You got it, so take it away about it.
Speaker 1: Every Sunday morning, when I was a kid and my family and I had a ritual after we got home from Sunday mass My mom would get started cooking chodis and eggs or Barbara CoA we picked up on the way home, and my siblings and I would change out of our church clothes and turn on the TV. If we made it in time, we'd hear that whirling electric keyboard and those frantic horns. This was the golden age of Tejano music, a rich mashup of styles Conjunto, Borgesta, Northeno, Cumbia, all with their own histories in Texas, Mexico and beyond. We were one of millions of households who tuned into the Johnny Canalis Show to watch our favorite bands and discover new ones. The show is long gone and Johnny passed away earlier this year, but the Hana music lives on and today artists like Besso Pluma and Grupo Fronterra dominate the airwaves on the new text this monthly podcast Viva Tejano. Well, It's sport the Hanno music past and present, with help from Texans whose lives have been shaped by the music and for whom it became an obsession.
Speaker 2: Sunday to the church after church about Lakoa and then music Canalis.
Speaker 1: My dad and I used to go on tour. We'd stop in every single town, every small town, big city, and there was always ady Hano radio station and every all we had to do is look for the antenna.
Speaker 3: My mom was the one who taught me, like, yo, you gotta play this, you gotta play this. This is the kind of music people like, like, play this song when you got to dance.
Speaker 2: For going sometimes I cried because my dad said, I want you to connect with the people and not be afraid to play.
Speaker 1: It's part nostalgia, part exploration of our unique d Hano culture.
Speaker 2: There's different genres cal junto to Hanno. They call it to Hanno. I call it text mix to Hano.
Speaker 3: As a genre, it's very broad.
Speaker 2: That could be Stevie Ravob. You know.
Speaker 1: I girl and coma feels like homegirls, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They see us, they see our image. We're not these Barbie cut girls.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We are who we are. We're from Texas and we were proud of that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get hated on for this, but we went over to Miami and we experienced a lot of races from other Latin cultures.
Speaker 1: Was it hard being a female accordion player?
Speaker 2: You better believe it. My goal is to someday leave the younger kids carrying on the tradition.
Speaker 3: It's like, bro, we're all the same, you know, Like, no matter what culture you are, we all do the same stuff. We all hang out in our garage and we drink beer and do barbecue and we just sing about it.
Speaker 1: This is Viva Tehuana, a podcast about the Junta. Music told by the people who make it and live it coming November twelfth. And are you and Nina the Mexican races? I mean, we declare we are the Mexican No