Speaker 1: All right, it is seven oh five here Kentucky and it's morning News Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me and John Shannon just delivered a phenomenal newscast and he is sticking around with us here because when it comes to the crimes involving children here in Louisville, the violence with children here has been a big talking point. But I was surprised to see that the actual number is down from a year ago. That's encouraging. It's not what I was expecting. However, still clearly a big issue, and maybe the awareness of it and people realizing just how frequent it's happening, maybe that's why it just feels as if it's at an all time high. But Chief Humphrey has said something here and there in recent weeks, and I know it was at least two weeks ago where he directly said that ultimately it is the parents in the community's responsibility to take care of this. Again, that was two weeks ago. He also went on to say, you need to know where your kids are. If I had a mechanism to deal with parents better whose kids commit violent crimes or caught in doing these types of crimes. I would prosecute parents all day long, and I needed to hear that, just because that's a given. And yet it just hasn't been said enough that when it comes to children that are involved in violent crime, law enforcement certainly needs to be there to hold those accountable and address it after the fact. But the preventive part of this is it starts at home.
Speaker 2: And I just don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, to me, it's just a shift in society to where parents they just assume if their kid ends up, you know, getting in trouble at school, or if they end up, you know, getting in trouble with law enforcement. I just feel like now more than ever, there's at least some segment of the parents that assume, well, hey, they're out to get my kid, because there's no way I got to do my own investigation because I don't trust law enforcement or somebody that's an educator telling me that my kid was bad. And that's just not how it was when you and I were growing up. And look, you and I, we got some age between the two of us, but still it just I feel like that's got to be a part of this.
Speaker 3: It is, and I think we're beginning to maybe starting with your age group and younger, we're beginning to get into parents who were raised with the nothing is ever their fault, it's always somebody else's fault kind of thing. Nobody was really acceptable for their actions you did. It's not your fault, you screwed up. It's society. It's the teacher not watching after you. It's the policeman not policing you and totally taking the blame off of the person that's in trouble. And now that's manifesting itself in the parenting, no doubt. Well, it can't be my kid, you know, and why it's your fault for not watching my kid at school doing this?
Speaker 2: You know that that type of thing.
Speaker 3: It's it's beginning to manifest itself in parenting, and it's it's affecting how these kids act. And with the crime rates like we're seeing, I mean that that's one part of it. There's a gang aspect to it that the police could probably better address. But the gangs like using the juveniles because they get lighter sentences. They're dealing with a different courts. But we're not in the age where like when you and I were growing up the neighborhood, watched the kids. It's not that it takes a village type of thing, but it was you know, you were expected to behave a certain way if you were out in public, because it did reflect bad on your parents. Your parents would discipline you. The worst thing I used to hear if I messed up in public was my dad going, wait till we get home.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and it would be and it would be a You probably were a nervous wreck, wait until you got home because you knew what was coming. And that's I think, and I should say this too. There are parents who I'm sure try their best and they do everything they can, and you just end up in a situation that's just it's awful for you to wear your kid just a is a bad apple. And I know that that is a real thing. However, there's clearly people who just don't even really know what their parents, what their kids are exposed to, and what it is that they're doing. And to your point about the community, my parents, I know my mother certainly would have appreciated if somebody came to her and let her know that I was being a knucklehead. It wouldn't have been well, wait a second, you're talking about my kid, and now I think you hear more of that, and it's not just with I mean, I think that's a factor in why you see people not wanting to be educators anymore and get into being teachers or leaving that profession because they really can't. You know, the battle with the parents is probably something that just doesn't make it make it worthwhile for them.
Speaker 2: I think having a.
Speaker 1: Comfortable fear of authority, whether it be your parents or teachers, whoever it is, as a kid is a good thing for everybody to where you know that you're not scared to go to work or to go to school every day. You're not scared of your parents like they're gonna harm you, but you have that comfortable fear of knowing that if you get out of line, you're gonna be dealt with, and you want to avoid that.
Speaker 3: The worst thing that ever happen could have happened to me when I was in school, even up through high school, was a teacher calling my parents and saying, hey, your son's being a knucklehead. Yep, Because whatever the school could have done to me, licks detention was not gonna be as bad as having to face my mom and dad about being a knucklehead at school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not even the punishment. You just didn't want to let your parents down. You didn't want to disappoint them. That was a big, big deal. But now I'm sure there are many parents who they want to do their own investigation. They don't trust what those are telling them about their kid. They just assume that, well, there's no way my kid wouldn't do that, And that's clearly I think it's clearly a factor to an extent as to why we're in the situation that we're in.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Thank you, John.
Speaker 1: He'll have another newscast coming for you guys in about twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 2: We've got a check of traffic and weather.
Speaker 1: Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking here on a Thursday morning, we'll get a look at Matt Melosavich's forecast. As it is hot as you know what, which could lead to some youth football, soccer, whatever sports are going on. The heat IndX today may get to the point where you won't have practice. We'll talk about that a little bit more as well.
Speaker 2: Right here.
Speaker 1: So, I just saw an updated forecast for the next week or so, and man, the hot weather is not going anywhere. I think Tuesday the highest ninety nine degrees. Now, of course, heat indecks will probably be a lot higher than that, and heat indcks is where it really gets dangerous. So if you are a parent or a grandparent, or maybe a coach that is involved in youth sports that take place in the summer, maybe even you know, high school sports. I think camps have started for the high school football teams in the area, which is an exciting time. But man, I'm sure it's also you know, you're excited the season to get in here and you're going to be playing under the lights on Fridays before too long. But the lead up to it, the two days at times, and just the practice that go I mean, just the conditions. I mean it's brutal when it comes to the heat, and you may be in luck and not actually have practice because of just how hot it is. So the heat in Decks is up to one hundred and seven degrees that's the expectation today, which if that is the case, that would mean that here in Kentucky you you would not be able to have any outside activity. So yeah, here's a breakdown of the Kentucky This the KHSBA, and I believe, in fact, my son, he plays flag football, they have conditioning tonight, and I'm hoping they don't have it because of the I mean, even if it was just below like the actual rule, I mean, I prefer that they just not do it, because you know, I don't just drop him off. We still have to go. I mean, he's he just turned five years old. So anyways, selfishly, I'm hoping that they don't have it tonight, but we shall see. Although conditioning for five and four year olds playing flag football seems a little excessive, but hey, you got to start him early and anything to get an edge, I suppose. But if it's under ninety five degrees, sports can proceed. But water should always be available, and you have an optional ten minute water breaks every thirty minutes. That's what's recommended, but it is optional. So under ninety five degrees, it's kind of you do whatever you want. But when you get to ninety five to ninety five degrees, when it comes to the heat index, water should always be available in a mandatory ten minute water break every thirty minute is required. Ice howel should be available for cooling and athletes are supposed to be monitored carefully. Now when it comes to contact, sports helmets and other protective equipment should be removed when not in contact, meaning if you're not in the action, you could take your helmet off.
Speaker 2: But here's where it gets tricky. If it is.
Speaker 1: Above one hundred and four degrees, as far as the heat indecks, all outside and inside activity must stop unless you have air conditioning. If you have air conditioning in a gym, they'll let you do that. But we have heated the expectation today as far as the heat indecks, could eventually have a lot of these practices canceled. And if it's ninety if it's ninety nine to nine oh four, I'm sorry, from ninety nine to one oh four, it's a threshold that just triggers more, I guess just I mean, there's certain things you got to do as far as water and breaks. But really, it sounds like a lot of folks if it gets in that eight in that range of ninety nine to one oh four, most just decide not to not to practice. It looks like I guess there's no way to know that for certain, but it says here that it's become a trend that you'll see. You'll see practices moved indoors or canceled if it's around one hundred. But again, one O four is the rule that you must stop. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back after a check of traffic and weather. We'll get the roadways, see what's going on out there with Bobby Ellis, We'll get a look at Matt Melosa its forecast from WLKY, and then we've got another sports update coming your way right here on news radio eight forty WHS. Thank you very much, John Shannon, it is Kentucky and his morning news coffee and company Nick Coffee with you here on news radio eight forty whas. So, frustration continues to mount across this state over long wait times at these regional driver driver licensing offices and the problem, I mean, it's not new, and they've thrown out some potential fixes that just don't seem to be sticking. So Kentucky moved to one hundred and twenty local licensing offices, I'm sorry, moved from one hundred and twenty local licensing offices to just thirty four regional ones back in twenty twenty two, and it's I mean, look, the people are fed up. You've got long lines, confusing systems. There are rural areas within the state where those residents are forced to travel pretty good ways just to go get an updated driver's license. There's a judge in Harrison County that put out a post on Facebook earlier this week just blasting the new system and just really calling for a change. And there's a House Bill five one eight that would return to the standard license issuing power, that is that would go back to the local circuit clerks, but it failed in the last session, and there's some reps that are going to reintroduce it in hopes to expand it and basically just get back to what we were doing prior to this move in twenty twenty two, because clearly this has not been effective. Now, they did hire I think it was one hundred and twenty five new workers to help get this situation resolved. They've also had some tech upgrades as far as just improving the system. But I mean, it has been a lingering point of frustration for people in the community. And I'm lucky my wife, she kind of takes care of me. Adult type of things like this, you know, making sure I get my ID updated before it expires. You know, she usually monitors that stuff for me. Actually she really And I'm going to try to speak for her, which maybe I shouldn't, but she'll know, hey, my license is about to expire. I need to go get that done because she's a responsible adult. And then she probably realizes, oh, yeah, I'm sure Nick is not going to pay any attention to that, so I'll check on his and I'll get it taken care of to avoid any kind of hassle. And I certainly appreciate her for adulting for me at times. But I didn't even realize that I had a real ID and I got went a long time ago, which is a reminder that if you waited to get a real ID, I mean you.
Speaker 2: Had a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Now, not to say that it would have been a super convenient thing for everybody to do as far as just the process, but the time there was a lot of it, and when that deadline hit, many people didn't have it, and I'm sure they still don't have it because it just the links you got to go currently here in Kentucky to get a new ID. But I mean, I've heard some disaster stories about the appointments available being months out, or you get an appointment that's within a few weeks and it's hours away from you, only for you to get up, only for you to get there and wait in line, and the appointment was set it a certain time and you're still in line two hours later. It's been I mean, it's been a disaster. So again, I think they're trying to improve some things, but Sheher's made it a point that they're I mean again, they hired one hundred and twenty five new people to help and added new tech upgrades, so they're trying to implement some fixes, but it doesn't appear that it's really working, meaning going back to what they did for many many years that they decided to change in twenty twenty two. I mean, it sounds like that's what a lot of a lot of people are asking for, which is, you know, totally understandable. Yeah, And I know that the DMB is just thrown in there as far as places people just don't want to be and they want to avoid in the thought of waiting at the DMV is just this awful experience. I'm very lucky that I've never had any bad DMB experience really at all.
Speaker 2: So hopefully I never have one.
Speaker 1: But if I needed, I'm sure if I needed to get a new ID anytime soon, that would be that would be my first experience there was a bad one. In fact, my ID does expire, and I think it expires relatively. In fact, I'm gonna look right now because now I'm thinking, did I am I driving around? Should I admit on this radio station that I may be driving with an expired license? My license expires on August seventh, so I've got a little bit of time. But I went through the process online a while back. In fact, I lied my wife went through the process for me online to get my license updated, because all they've got to do is just basically issue me a different one and not you know, I don't have to go and get a new picture taken or anything like that. And they're supposed to mail it to me, but I haven't got it yet, so and I don't even know what the timeline was. But if it's late, because it just how slow they are at doing everything, rather it be getting it mailed to you or taking your appointments in person, I guess that's to be expected.
Speaker 2: But also like I'm.
Speaker 1: Flying when I go on vacation in a couple of weeks, And even if I don't have my new ID, I have my passport and that works too. So I don't know if people know that, but the real ide is probably what you want to get. But if you have a passport, that'll that'll suffice when it comes to the airlines. All right, let's get a check of traffic and weather and also what I want to get to coming up here in just a few minutes. The just story that doesn't seem real, but in fact it is about the organ donation scandal here in Louisville.
Speaker 4: Yikes, this clean.
Speaker 1: So we've got an organ donation scandal that has sparked some congressional scrutiny, and of course it's got some Louisville ties. In fact, it's it's because of what went on in Louisville. A Louisville based nonprofit is under intense federal scrutiny following allegations that it tried to have organs from patients, basically taking organs from patients who were not actually dead yet.
Speaker 2: I mean that that doesn't seem.
Speaker 1: Real, but it is, And there's been a conspiracy theory out there for a while that you don't really know what happens to your loved one's organs whenever they pass away, because they can just tell you whatever and you'll you'll never know, and that I'm sure there have been some examples of that happening over the years. But I just assume, well, that's that's that's not there's no way who would do that, And I'm naive clearly, because it's there's a real market for organs in the black market, and there are people stupid enough to and just awful. I mean, not only is it just a disgusting and vile thing to do in every way, it's just really stupid to think you would, I mean, you'd be able to do it and eventually it wouldn't catch up with you.
Speaker 2: But who knows. Maybe look, there may be people who have.
Speaker 1: Who have come and gone here in the world that that did that and just knew that it was a pretty full proof thing as far as actually getting getting exposed. And maybe that's led to just how reckless some people were considering the fact that they were trying to encourage people to you know, call it quits. On their loved ones so they could go ahead and declare them dead and take their organs.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: This sounds like something in a movie, but it's in fact real. So there is a a nonprofit called Network for Hope that recently merged with the Kentucky Organ Donation Affiliates CODA. That was in twenty twenty four, and this pro followed allegations that organs were again nearly harvested from living patients.
Speaker 2: Think about that.
Speaker 1: And also, out of the three hundred and fifty reviewed cases here, seventy patients had neurological issues that should have disqualified them from organ donation, but they weren't rejected. And what's even more alarming is twenty eight cases involved patients who may not have been dead when the donation process began.
Speaker 2: That is just horrific.
Speaker 1: And one case that really got a lot of attention, it was right here in Kentucky and it was national attention, was a gentleman named Anthony TJ. Hoover the Second who was declared brain dead after cardiac cardiac arresident Richmond, and while preparations for organ donation were underway, he reportedly opened his eyes and began thrashing and pushing his hands away, and two doctors refused to proceed. But, according to report, a code of official Toults quote, find another surgeon or you'll lose your job.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about this. This is this is insane.
Speaker 1: So the Department of Health and Human Services they vowed to reform national organ donation policies to prevent these types of things going on. And I mean that's not going to be good enough for people, I think to just assume everybody's on the up and up, because I mean, I think, no matter what you put in place, there's going to be a level of just trusting the judgment and trusting the actions of those that are in this position. But talk about I mean, this is now me overthinking it. But I'm sure some of you have been thinking this for a long time. But this has probably been a real thing. For this there's probably and I shouldn't even say probably because that's irresponsible to me to say that without any real proven facts. But seeing this story develop and getting all the info that we have here, when I see that there is a code of official, somebody who you know as an official for the Kentucky organ donor affiliates claiming, hey, despite this guy showing signs of life, and these two surgeons not wanting to do it. They got to find somebody or they're gonna lose their job because we need this organ from this guy, dead or alive. I mean that to me just fuels the narrative that it just became such a thing and they got reckless thing and they never get caught. I mean, I don't know, I don't know that for certain, but this is again, I think the best way to describe this story is one that quite literally does not seem real, and it's disturbing beyond belief. All Right, we've got another update of traffic and weather coming you way, Bobby all us to get it straightened out on the roadways here in Kentucky and to get the Thursday morning started. Also, we will get an updated look at the forecast from at Melosa to WLK. Why another sports update coming your way in about five minutes right here on News Radio eight forty. Whas let's get to another check at traffic and weather. Also another news update which John Shannon is the eight o'clock