Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, July twenty seventh, twenty twenty six, and I'm the host of the show Doctor Kara Santa Maria, and as I mentioned last week, I am traveling right now with the sgu the other podcast I work on, The Skeptics Guide to the Universe. We are visiting Sydney, Australia, the North Island, kind of all over of New Zealand, and then christ Church on the South Island and making appearances at conferences in both Sydney and christ Church. So I'm recording this in advance, and I'm not going to give a shout out to the patrons this week because I don't know if my list will be up to date, but we will continue that once I am back at my computer, so I say we just get into it. This week I had the opportunity to chat with doctor Valerie Friedland. She is a professor of linguistics in the English Department at the University of Nevada, Reno. She also writes a language blog on Psychology Today called Language in the Wild and did a Great Courses series, So for those of you who love the Great Courses, you can look her up there. She also previously wrote a wonderful book called Like Literally Dude, Arguing for the Good in Bad English. But we're going to talk today about her newest book, Why We Talk Funny, The Real Story Behind Our Accents. This is a really fun one. So, without any further ado, here she is doctor Valerie Friedland. Well, Valerie, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm so excited to be here in chat with you.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be talking about your work and of course your new book, Why We Talk Funny The Real Story Behind Our Accents. I'm so excited to have this conversation. I am obsessed with accents. I love them. I find them fascinating. I'm also really obsessed with just like regional colloquialisms and all the different ways that individuals who share a similar language still have subcultures within it. But first, before we get into the book itself, I want to talk a little bit about you, about your scholarship. So you're a professor of linguistics. Is linguistics usually in an English department, you.
Speaker 2: Know it varies. Linguistics is usually in whatever department we feel most safe that will survive the budget cut so wry to say it. So typically it's sort of in traditional linguistics departments, they've been separate departments, but in the last twenty or so years they often go on the chopping block because they tend to be pretty small departments. So a lot of linguists have found refuge in English departments. So it is not uncommon for there to be a separate program in linguistics in English departments, but it's not necessarily the standard either.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, And so you know, really probably it's important to drill down on what linguistics actually is. How is it different than what most people think of when they think of English or English class.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great question, because most people think of a number of different things when they hear the word linguist, and it's typically not either the same thing as an English professor or an English teacher, nor as sort of the common folk understanding of what a linguist is or memes. So first, just to discriminate between sort of the traditional Grammarian English teacher and the linguist that might happen to be an English department, we're really more the social science version of someone who studies language. So we're actually interested in the principles, both articulatory and cognitive, that drive our ability to speak as humans human beings. We're not really interested in any kind of prescriptive rules. So the social rules that get attached over time to the way that we're supposed to write English, and then often that leaps off the page to the way we're supposed to speak. So the type of experience you have in English class where you're learning about nouns, verbs, and you know those person, place, thing kind of thing. There certainly is some linguistics in that, because the categories that we call nouns are linguistically real to us. Babies recognize nouns first before other things, so those do have some linguistic legitimacy. But the idea that there are a person, place, and thing, for example, is kind of a description rather than an actual rule of how those distribute, or the rules like don't set in a sense with a preposition those kinds of things. Those are not real rules in terms of cognitive rules for language. Those are social rules that arose in the eighteenth century. So that's the kind of thing that you get in English class. What you would get if you take a linguistics course in a college, which is usually the first time you experience it. Is also different than the layman conception of linguist, which is really someone who speaks a lot of languages. I speak really one, and that sometimes badly, which is English. But I know a lot about the structure of other languages. So though I really probably can't order a beer in most of them or do anything useful when traveling there, I can tell you about sort of their relationship to English, the kinds of structures they tend to have, how they differ where they're similar, What kinds of principles drive all human language, How our brain perceives language. What are the sounds that you're more likely to be able to hear versus others that aren't. What are most common sounds across languages. Those are the kinds of things that linguists like me, which are called theoretical linguist study. And then, to even drill down a little more, I'm what's called a socio linguist, which is a tongue twister to basically say, someone who studies the linguistics of social life. So how are the groups that we identify with the places we grow up the class we belong to, the nations that we pledge allegiance to. How are those things influential on the way that we will sound now and in the future. And those are the kinds of things I study. Most of the questions people have about language are really in the realm of socio linguistics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It's almost like the psychology, sociology, and cognitive science of language.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's very closely aligned with psychology. So you know, a lot of linguistics stems from both linguistic anthropology but also social psychology. So I'd say it's a really a melding of sociology, social psychology, and also some anthropology. But then some linguists do a lot more cognitive psychology work as well, so it's you know, kind of an overlapping field.
Speaker 1: I love it all right, Well, we'll see if my doctorate in psychology is at all helpful.
Speaker 2: Will see.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm pretty clinical, so I'm like on a one, very extreme end of psychology, but maybe we will see. So what made you want to sit down and write this book? Is it your first or no, it's not. You've actually written another big book before, like literally dude.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wrote a book on all the speech Habits We Love to Hate, which was like literally dude, as you can see from the title what it might be about. And then this was really the book that was closest to the type of work I do in my research, and also the experience I had growing up because I grew up in the South, which a lot of people probably can't hear from my voice, but sometimes people will pick up a little trick or two that I have that's southern. But I also had parents that were not from the United States. They were both native French speakers, and so growing up in the South at the time I was growing up, I'm not going to admit how long ago it was, but it was a while. With non native parents was certainly an experience, and it made me aware at a very young age the power of accent. And you know, even though I had no idea at eight i wanted to be a linguist, I probably was thinking more like astronaut or doctor, you know, something more standard, it did really interest me and fascinate me. The power that the way that I spoke, the way that my parents spoke, the way that I heard my friend speak, had over the way that we reacted to each other. And so in college, when I took a linguistics class, all of a sudden, it was like the curtain was pulled back on why and how, And that really drove my interest in both pursuing linguistics as a field and then finally unpacking that for non linguist audiences, because there are a lot of mes in this world that have that experience but didn't go on to get a doctorate in linguistics that really wonder why their accents make them stand out, or why they think of other people in the ways they do with their accents, or even maybe believe they have no accent at all. And part of that is because we really have a dearth of linguistic information. And so that kind of drove this book. I wanted to unpack it for general audiences.
Speaker 1: I love that so much because you're right. I loved it when you said there's a lot of mes. Everybody out there has their own kind of origin, and then the culture or the pressures that they had as they were growing up. Some people were in one place most of their lives. Other people traveled quite often. My own little anecdote that I have to share having also grown up in the South and people telling me all the time that I don't sound like I'm from the South until I say words like insurance an umbrella, then it comes out real heavy. But hearing my parents speak or even my sisters speak and being like, how are you from the same family. I remember when I first moved. I moved from Texas to New York and then to LA and I've been in LA since. I remember working as an adjunct professor at City University, New York, and we had a lot of students from Long Island and one of my students saw my Texas tattoo and she goes, Professa, you don't have an accent at wool Oh, this is currieus.
Speaker 2: And what's so fascinating about that is it really reveals a lot about the power dynamics behind accent. Because everybody has an accent, we often don't hear our own accents, and typically the people that don't think of themselves as accented or believe in the sort of myth of non accent are those that are from groups in society that have the most power, and therefore their form of speech, their style of speech, their accent, is the norm, and that way because they don't deviate from that norm, they think of themselves as having no accent. But if you leave your country of origin and you go to Britain, for example, or of Australia, you do have an accent.
Speaker 3: So all of us do.
Speaker 2: And there are also little things in everybody's speech that who they are. And I think one of the things that we haven't done a good job with as linguist is getting the word out that accents are not just about place. There are about anything social about us that leads to fractures in social space. And sometimes that's geography. So if we're divided by mountains or lakes or oceans, that will lead to differences in the way we speak. But a lot of the power of speech changing over time is driven by other types of social distance that forms between us. And that can be someone that is from a different ethnicity and maybe there's less contact or hostility between different ethnic groups and so they will sound different. Or it can be class. Even in the same location. A lot of times we can recognize someone who might have more working class features and more middle class features. Those are all accents too. It's not just about geography.
Speaker 1: It's so fascinating to think about, because in LA, my exposure is wildly different than it was in North Texas. Right in North Texas, all my friends had shades of something similar unless they were sort of their parents or they themselves were first or second generation American. But most everybody who was like multi generation living in the South, they kind of sound. There's like a Dallas sound, you know, and I was from the urbs of Dallas. But living in LA, it's like got you never know, you don't know where anybody's from. And when somebody's like, oh, I'm a Native Angelino, you're like, what you exist?
Speaker 2: I know. Yeah, in those big cities right a lot of times, especially on the West coast because it's a relatively young region, it does feel like that. Even in Nevada, where I'm from, where I'm not from, but where I live in Reno, it's very surprising to find someone who's actually from here or from here for more than one generation. And you know, I think that's partially just being Western. It's also this sense of you know, urban urban life that's relatively recent, so you know, it hasn't been that long that most of us lived in urban centers. That's a relatively recent development in American history, and that radically changes the people we come into contact with. And interaction is really the bread and butter of accent. So it's not necessarily the place you grew up or even the way that your family speaks that will determine the way you sound. It's the people that you interact with the most and that sort of represent this goal or identity that you want to have. And you know, you mentioned that you don't sound like your sister, and we wondered, you know, how are we from the same family. Well, in earlier research I did with my colleague who's was at Duke, we looked at the same family that had ten children and we ran different types of statistical simulations on their speech. And we do this through you know, we use instrumental analysis of their vowels, so it's technical. We have numbers that basically go in there that measure their acoustic wave forms. And we found that they were no so more similar to each other than any other ten random people.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: So while they all had Southern accent, so they did were more similar to people from the South, they were not that similar to each other more than some other random Southerner, and that tells us that it's not the people you're born to that really have the biggest impact on your speech. It's the people you hang out with. And so peer groups are really vital in the speech and the accent that we will inhabit in later years.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting too, one of the things that you mentioned when you were talking about how it's not always you know, the region, it's not necessarily the family of origin, but all of these other influences that you have. I think if I didn't, I didn't make a note with my pen, but I think you said something along the lines of like and who you sort of choose to. Maybe you didn't say emulate, but be near or like a model.
Speaker 2: That an identity you want to have, the one you want to project, the one that you kind of look to as something that is a style leader for you is especially what we find.
Speaker 1: I love it because I think about I had a partner once and he grew up in a region of Jersey and he has you know, that sort of what lots of people would describe as the non accent accent or the neutral accent or the whatever, you know, kind of educated what is it like mid Atlantic. I don't even know how.
Speaker 2: And we'll get into that New Jersey depends on which side of New Jersey you're on, whether you constitute a mid Atlantic or more northern accent.
Speaker 1: But yes, well he did say that. When he was growing up, he would say things like woulda and like walk the door.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he had the mid Atlantic because that's more near the Philly accent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he had to kind of teach himself to not talk like that by choice, like he chose to do that. Whereas when I was growing up in Texas, from all evidence I have from my folks, from looking at videos and listening to recordings, I always kind of just talked like this, even though the people around me, well the people are me did too. I'm sure my peer group did, but my sister and my parents didn't. And so I always was asking myself, did I make it conscious or maybe it was an unconscious choice to lean into certain styles of speech.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, it's really an interesting question of how conscious it is. But we don't really actively monitor our speech that often, especially when we're young children. You know, we might when we go into a job interview, or even when we're at work. But you know, if we're hanging with our friends at the bar, we're probably not saying, oh, how am I going to pronounce this vowel? It doesn't It just doesn't work that way. And also it's hard to understand how intricate the system of language is. I don't think generally people understand that when we speak, it's incredibly rual governed. So if I do something with my ad vowel in one case, I will do it with the ad vowel in every case. I say with that vowel every word that it occurs with. Typically unlass, I have a very unique dialect region like the mid Atlantic that actually has some even funkier rules about it. So how would I even know where to put on an accent? Consciously? I wouldn't, So it's probably a subconscious motivation or desire we have to sound like certain people. But this starts very young, so we're probably doing this as soon as we hit kindergarten and get a peer group. And it's called vernacular reorganization when we start to adjust our system towards those around us from that of the home language or dialect or you know, form our style that we grew up with up to about age five. The other thing I will say is, I don't know whether your sister is older or younger than you. Older she's older, I would so that's interesting and we don't have to reveal anybody's ages here. But there has been a really big trend in the South, and I'm of the generation where it started and where we find that every generation since has had less and less of the Southern accent in urban areas in the South. This is not true of the rural areas of the South, but in places like Dallas and Memphis where I grew up. In Atlanta and Raleigh, massive amounts of Northern immigration is one of the big reasons why this is the case. But also just a relocation of many Southerners to those urban areas that kind of orients people there to a different kind of accent that's more external to the South has reduced the southernness of Southern speakers there. And that's Generation X where we see the first step on that road to less accent.
Speaker 1: Interesting and I would be considered an elder millennial while my sister would be a Gen X there. But also I think there's some weirdness about where she went to college and then got married and moved to Arkansas and then moved to New Orleans and you know, kind of probably re developed some of these quirky Southern styles of speech that I never did that, And it's just, oh, it's just so fascinating thinking about out the uniqueness. I don't know if that's quite the right word, but the the variables that are obvious to us versus the ones that fly under the radar, Like there are things I think that we don't even notice about how most people speak, those small variations that just sound generally American or maybe a little more regional. And then out of the blue, you have people like my partner now, who is from Michigan, who has the most Midwestern and he says things like milk.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, he has something called the northern city shift.
Speaker 1: Obvious to be fair.
Speaker 2: Milk is actually also you can find it in Toronto, so you know it's not just Michigan or Chicago also has that feature. But he does he also say things like the word job more like jab I got a jab.
Speaker 1: I think it does more like sacks sacks, And he says pajamas instead of pajamas. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that actually you find more widespread the pajama pajama distribution. But for Southerners it's pajama. And so when I moved to the west, that was something I noticed a lot of people hear say, I can't it feels wrong to say it, but jamas, it's.
Speaker 3: So wrong, that's right.
Speaker 2: So if that's your see, this is where your southernness is there, because that is something that Southerners tend to say. That's you know, people we've moved. So it's not only something Southerners say now because you know we're contagious.
Speaker 1: But it also made me laugh when you said Nevada, because anybody from Nevada or lives in Nevada calls at Nevada, but so many people call it Nevada.
Speaker 2: If you're east of the Mississippi, you tend to call it Nevada. And in fact, being from the South, I also called it Nevada until I moved to Nevada. And I think within the first day of being here, I was told, under no uncertain terms, if I wanted to stay here, I would learn how to correctly pronounce the state name. And it's been so drilled into me now that it hurts to say it the other way.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, do you know I have to I just love the examples. I have to come up with one that people can tell where I live in two seconds if we start to talk about traffic, and it's not even accent thing, but it is linguistic in that in southern California, and apparently only in southern California, we put the word the before the freeway names.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, say take one, one.
Speaker 1: Oh one, the two, the five, And it's just I didn't even notice that I was doing it, and whenever I'm outside of home, it blows people's minds.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is a very typical California trait, Southern California exclusively. So it's sort of like saying Hella, you're that's a northern. That's an if you're from the California area, you know that Hella is a northern and the one oh one is southern. So it's a it's sort of a you know what, we call it, a shibboleth thing that really automatically identifies where you're from from the way you pronounce something. You know, the interesting history behind the one oh one pronunciation or the sticking the the in there. I believe it has to do with when it was first constructed. There weren't other options, and people would call it the one oh one, and that just sort of stuck around. It has something to do with its earliest construction history. I can't remember the exact story, but it's quite interesting if you want to dive into that. But yes, it's absolutely a Southern California feature.
Speaker 1: It's it's so I mean, it reminds me of and I'm sure you know all about it. I wonder if you worked with it before that massive project that was I think published for like users through the New York Times. It was like you use guys and y'all or something that crazy quiz that would tell you exactly where you grew up.
Speaker 2: I think that was a graph biographics editor. I think his name was Josh Katz, and it was based on the Yale Diversity Project. So it was a professor at Yale's sort of linguistic atlas work which he had done with his students for many, many years and compiled a huge amount of data that that this graphics editor used to generate those different you know.
Speaker 3: Word models. Tricky now, because.
Speaker 2: That was actually I don't know ten fifteen years ago. While our massive connectedness now through social media boundary crossing, and also our mobility which has really moved people around and into new areas and into urban areas from rural areas at massive rates this century has made it so it's much harder to use those kinds of clues to where people are from. But there are certainly big ones. You know, it's hard to pinpoint someone to a little city or something, but there are certainly big ones like pajama and pajama is on That is a good example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were that could really pinpoint you. I think like, like, what do you call a drive through liquor store? And I was like, oh, it's a beer barn. Oh my friends are like, what is even have one of those?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes? I mean Tennessee, Yes, no drive through liquor stores. So I remember when I saw that. I was one of the have no idea what the heck you're talking about on that thing. And then I married someone from Ohio and he.
Speaker 3: Was like, yeah, obviously.
Speaker 2: Here all the time. So yes, there are certain things that stick around because you don't have them elsewhere. And there are certain ones like water that are very tied to very specific places. So you know, that's a very typical, well known Philly trait. So you know, there are certainly still those that stick around, but a lot of young people in Philadelphia don't say that anymore, although they would still recognize that over someone from California and someone from la probably has no idea about that. So it's a really fun survey. The problem with like with words being the focus is words are fairly easy to pick up, so there are sort of superficial measures of differences between us. Now. A lot of those are historically based, and so those have become entrenched in regions in ways that are pretty good determinists. So I don't know if you'd heard of it before, but one I love on that one which I had heard growing up in the South, is when you have rain on a sunny day, so.
Speaker 1: That I remember that one, and I didn't. I had never heard of a sunshower or whatever. I mean, there were other options. I was like, I don't, I don't know what that is. But apparently a lot of people do use those words.
Speaker 2: Yes, And in the South, especially rural areas of the South, it's very typical to say the devil's beating his wife.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's what it's not right.
Speaker 2: So when when when the sun is out and it's raining, it's because the devil is beating his wife. Oh I here in Nevada, I always do a regional dialect survey on the first day we start dialect talk in class, and that one kills them every time because they're just they are disbelief that that could exist. Then really it's an archaic form. You don't hear very often anymore, and certainly no one under the age of fifty probably says it. But it is, you know, an authentic difference. But one of the ways that we kind of do new dialect at list work. And another survey that's very famous was the Phonological atlass done by Bill Lebov and his colleagues that you pen is by looking at the way vowels are pronounced across the various regions and how they're similar or different, because those are harder to pick up. So if I move to a new place, I can often pick up a new word or two, and I can actually pick up a new pronunciation in a single word or two. But to do that in a very systemic fashion for all the vowels that that word effects like picking up the whole pin pen merger pattern. If I move to the South, that's almost impossible. So studying the way that people say their vowels is actually a really good diagnostic of regional sort of upbringing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably why Malk stands out so much.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and that's why, you know, one of the traits that is still somewhat present in young Southern speakers. I can hear it, especially young African American speakers that are maybe really you know, live in the South is pin pen, the pin pen merger. That is actually one that you can still hear a lot of times when people leave the South.
Speaker 1: You still intensely like it just sounds like that she says like pin and it sounds we.
Speaker 2: And we went. Yes, it's very strong, and so if you're in the South, it's still very strong. But a lot of times southers that leave the South, they'll still have it years later. It's sort of hard to change out. But if I'm moving to the South, I could probably start learning. I could learn to say when in that one word, but I'm not going to know that it also affects words like sense and sense and it's still.
Speaker 1: On those right. You know, my mother does that. My mother's Puerto Rican and grew up in New York and when she moved to Texas and had us and she's been there since, she you know, she had a I think a New yor Rican accent. But now she says words like owol, like I need to get my oval chain right.
Speaker 2: What she's done is she's picked up that Texas that's a very sort of typical Texas pronunciation. She's picked up certain words with that vowel in them. But if you actually measured her vowels more systemically, so you know that. What we do is we talk to people and we have them speak for an hour, and then we have them read certain things and then you kind of pull out all occurrences of the same vowel. That's where you can really see what they really sound like, because it's really hard to know as a non linguist what those rules are if you haven't been born somewhere. And what we also find is if your parents are from that place, that's when you really tend to have a heavier accent. So if you move at three, you can pick up the accent of the new place you moved to because you're still in that formative accent phase. But if you if you have parents from that place that moved back there with you at three, you're going to acquire that accent even more. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've you know, I've noticed that with a lot of folks where you'll think something is regional, but maybe it's not regional, and then you find out that their parents lived, you know, grew up and lived their whole lives in a certain area and it sort of made its way into their speech. I think an example that I hear a lot, and maybe you can help me with this one, because I still don't know if this is regional, generational, or what. But I have I have friends from Connecticut and friends from Oregon who both say the word both like both like instead of both, they put an L in it. They say both both like an intrusive L. Yeah both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I had that feature, and that's they're from Connecticut.
Speaker 1: That's Connecticut, but also Oregon.
Speaker 3: So Oregon.
Speaker 2: When you get to the Western States, it doesn't seem it's never that surprising when you hear features from somewhere else. In parts of the West because of the migrat tory patterns of settlement later. So you know, the West was settled about two hundred years after the East coast colonies were settled, and it was already America, and the accent in the American States was that they were bringing over with them was also already much different from the British forms that many of the earliest settlers had brought over. There was also a lot more other language influence, so you had a lot of Scandinavian, Finnish, German settlement in the Upper North that would have gone from Connecticut to Usually you migrated westward alongside sort of the parallel of where you had started, so there was the earliest settlement in that area was really New England. Connecticut was an outpost of the New England colony. So that actually make sense to me that you could hear a feature. A lot of those are sometimes remnants of either an immigrant language that affected the pronunciation, so that sounds like a monopthungal vowel, so that means a shorter vowel, which is often sort of Scandinavian, So that's sort of why you get mussola. It's a shorter vowel and actually in earlier English is we would have more monupthungo vowels. So around the revolutionary times we would have said something like go or no, more like go nah. So sometimes as a remnants of those early forms that just got retained in a word or two.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so fascinating when you watch like period pieces, does it make you crazy? How wrong they.
Speaker 2: Are so wrong? So wrong? Yes, one time I did have a director of a movie that was sort of in the upset in the early eighteen hundreds, the very early eighteen hundreds call to ask for some help in making sure they did authentic dialect. And I'm not an accent I'm not an accent coach. It's a very different thing, right to be an accent coach than to be a professor of linguistics. But I was like, okay, let's give it a try. So I was telling him a lot of the features that would have been frontier speech at the time, because this was set in the frontier and you know, for most people if they heard features of frontier speech from that era, it would sound very rustic and hickesh to our ears, because a lot of those things like rastle and Giett and sari for sarah or best for best. Those things were actually very widespread features in the early colonial period that were had become around the Revolutionary era a bit hurt as a bit more rustic even than by the more educated elite in the cities along the East coast, But it was very much what the frontiersman spoke that was considered very typical of frontier speech. So it would have sounded, you know, really hickesh to most modern English speakers. So I did not think that that's probably how he wanted to have his main character speak in this piece. But most of the period pieces always seem to think that the elite British rp accent is the one that everybody spoke in the you know, from sixteen hundred to to current times.
Speaker 1: But particularly in then every country too.
Speaker 2: In some country, if you want to seem like, you, you know, have some colonial era language, it's going to be our P. But the truth is our p received pronunciation. This sort of posh British accent we associate with Queen's English today really didn't emerge until the late eighteenth early nineteenth century. Really yeah, so it doesn't mean that there weren't components of it, but two of the most recognizable features of received pronunciation, which is a non roticity, which is a really fancy word that simply means our dropping, So saying things like wata instead of water. That didn't emerge until the late eighteenth century. And also the awe for a pronunciation was also not prevalent in even elite British speech until then. In fact, those two variants, which was saying things like instead of saying aunt, you'd say aunt, or eve, instead of saying father, you'd say father, those would have been very typical of all British speakers up to the end of the seventeen hundreds. So none of the representations we give people with that RP accent in those period dramas is very accurate unless it's after the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: That's so fascinating and I see that actually with all of my British South African Australian friends, I always tell them they're allowed to call me Kara because they struggle to say Kara. But none of my American friends who are from here are allowed to do that. It's not my name, it's Kara, it's not car.
Speaker 3: You've had a tricky name.
Speaker 2: So the funny thing is the words spelled with A, and particularly those before an R, are incredibly variable in the history of English and American English particularly, so depending on where you're from, you'll say those vowels differently. So I think we do have to cut people some slack. But I do have a lot of friends with a names like yours that get, you know, a little bit upset when people seem to use the different vowel, And I get it, I get it. I don't like being called vowel. So you know, we all get to choose what we are called. But I will say in their defense and their defense. Even for Americans, there are such variable pronunciation for words that are spelled with a, especially if they were borrowed words or from a different language, they get variably pronounced in American English or a Canadian English. So one of the examples, my mother is actually French Canadian and the word pasta. It used to drive me baddie when she pronounced it because it was pasta pasta yasta, which is a very Canadian pronunciation of the word.
Speaker 3: And again it's because.
Speaker 2: It's a loanword, and a loanword with with an a in it, and that throughout our history of borrowing words has always been really hard for Americans to settle themselves on one particular pronunciation of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it also varies by context. I used to always joke that my father, who is Italian, but many generations, you know, separated, who gave me my last name. If you say it the way that most people you know want to say it romantically, they'll say, my name is Gotta Santa Maria. But if you want to go super southern and include my middle name, I become Cara Louise. And it's a quick change.
Speaker 3: Quick, so adaptable, per.
Speaker 1: It's there's so many interesting things, you know. I remember reading a book when I was young about the Revolutionary No, it was not, it was about the Civil War. Actually, yes, it was about the Civil War and there was a soldier I think in Kentucky. And the way that they wrote it was like a lot of phonetic writing and book And I don't know why this sentence sticks out to me, but the boy was asking his parents, will Kaneentuck go sickish? And it was the way that they wrote, will Kentucky secede? And I remember being so fascinated by this, like, well, Kane Tuck go Sickish. I don't know what the accent was, but that was how they wrote it, and learning more about like Appalachia and about this region of the United States that was so Scottish and not realizing that.
Speaker 2: It was very right Scottish not and also it had some you know, Irish, and not only just the Scots and the Irish, but author the Scots Irish were very influential in that area. There was also early British influence as well. So a lot of the features that we think of as typical in Appalachian English, so like a prefixing, so I'm a hunting and a fishing, those are actually features that were fairly widespread in early British English at the founding of the initial thirteen colonies. He would have heard those, not just in Appalachia, which actually wasn't a thing at that time, but it would have been all over because it was a feature that was used more widespread in British English at the time. But scott was a variety of English that retained a lot of older features, and they retained it for longer. And so that's why we see in Scott's Irish. We see a lot of features that have overlapped with earlier British English, but were we retained longer in Scott's Irish. But absolutely, the Scott's Irish were incredibly influential in the Appalachian area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find that when, like I've had I used to have a partner who was Scottish like, born and raised in Scotland, and when he would when he was here in the US, when we would watch movies or he would hear the Appalachian accent, he could understand it better than I could, And I found it fascinating because he he did really his parents were South African, so that's extra confusing. So he sounded kind of just like vaguely colonial British, like nobody could place him. But he could hear a broad Scottish accent really well because that's that's how he grew up. He was surrounded by it all the time. And there's a certain point when somebody Scottish accent is too strong where I'm like, are they speaking English? Like I cannot understand what they're saying at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a lot of you know, I've had a lot of people tell me that the English accents they find most difficult to understand is the Scottish one. So if they go to Scotland, it takes them a few days to kind of acclimate to be like, okay, what are you saying. And it's not surprising because in part it was a more conservative English, meaning that it retained features longer than you know. Even now English English has a lot of new features. Scottish English, I mean, every dialect has changed, so there's none that we are the same as the sixteen hundreds. And it's a riff that Appalachian English is, you know, Shakespeare in the Holler. That's not that's not true. Does it attain certain features that are older, certainly it does, but every accent does things like that. You know, we all have things that are older and younger and new and innovative, and Scottish English is the same way. It's gotten innovations. But for example, in Scottish English, you tend to have more differences in vowels that occur before our sounds that American English, where we've kind of merged everything together, you know, so if you have words like mary, mary and mary, which are m e r r y y, m a r r y and m a r y, most Americans merge those suckers. But you know in Scottish and Irish English is those vowel mergers before r were not as widespread, so you tend to have more distinct vowels before them. So that's an Mary. Yes, yes, Southerners actually used to do that distinction more often, but it's harder to find it in the South nowadays.
Speaker 1: And you hear the opposite. I remember there was a viral video of a man in Baltimore, which to me is one of the most fascinating accents. There's a viral video of him reading the sentence. It was something like aarin uh oh, gosh, Aaron's something in iron eurn Aaron Oh, Aaron earned or Aaron earned an iron earn. And he was like iron earned and iron urn, like all the vowels were the same, and he's like, whoa.
Speaker 2: Do I talk like yes? But you know, some people feel I have heard Southerners that also say things that I think non Southerners, if they're very traditional Southern, often at certain places in the South that have a heavier accent, where people go there and say the same thing. You know. So I've had, you know, someone saying I'm ron it, which is I'm going to iron it. That's Southern for I'm going to iron it, you know, I I oh, right, right, Or I would say someone who said that it took me a while. I'm like, oh, okay, you're going to iron it. One of my mothers when I was young. So, you know, I think it's partially whenever we have accents that are further from what we think of as sort of this national standard, general American model that we're more familiar with, even if we don't speak at ourselves, because we can't help but be familiar with it because our teachers are broadcasters. You know, every ad on television tends to have that accent. Then it can be harder for a short time for us to figure it out. We do something really amazing called accent normalization or vowel normalization, where our brain kind of adjusts with enough input and relatively rapidly to understanding how this new system fits with our old system. So the more familiar you become with the speaker, the better.
Speaker 1: You do with this, and it probably makes it just easier to understand people with time.
Speaker 2: Well, what we do find is people with really diverse accent exposure. So people that either grow up around a lot of diverse accent. So, for example, in la Or they have more people at work from various places, they tend to do better with accent normalization because they're just more adaptable. They've had more range, and so their brain has learned to process it more quickly.
Speaker 1: You know, I have a tendency. I've traveled quite a lot in my life. Have been very lucky because of the work that I do to travel quite a lot, and my friends would tell me that I have a tendency when I come home from a lot of travel to sort of have picked up like affectations and different kind of quirks of speech while I'm away, and then obviously they decay after a few days. But usually when I come home from a place, they're like, oh my god, you're talking like.
Speaker 2: You're like a superheroer. There are yes, I think all of us are familiar with it, with those types.
Speaker 3: So superhero types, Oh my god, I didn't even know as I was doing it.
Speaker 2: That's all just pick it up, and you know, there really is some interesting variability in our ability to do that. So I think a lot of times people are feel like they are not as good as other people in picking up languages or hearing accents, and part of it is part of its exposure and motivation, for sure, But it does seem like certain people are more perceptually able to pick up on these finer distinctions, analyze it cognitively, and produce it. And we see this in people particularly that have a really good musical ability.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say I was trained as a vocalist. That's probably good.
Speaker 2: There you go, right, And so if you, especially if you can hear tone differences really well, you tend to be very good at picking these very nuanced differences in language up better. So there we tagged you. We know why you're so good or bad?
Speaker 1: It was so annoying, I guess I could say, you know, I'm also really curious. You mentioned something before about oh gosh, what was it?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: It was a Southern thing where they ran, oh the ironing thing, which was so good, and one of the ones that I saw once on it was either Baltimore or or Pittsburgh, which I think Baltimore. I find Baltimore and Pittsburgh to be the most fascinating accents in the US. But they would say like g eat jeet instead of did you eat.
Speaker 2: Yes, running all together, I mean all of us do it. So there's you know, economic ways of speaking, and it's all due to articulatory efficiency, and every one of us does things like that where we uh sort of smush a lot of sounds into smaller and smaller syllables when we're talking fast, and it's something very familiar and recoverable from the context. The trick is certain places like Pittsburgh, I know is one. Also Philly is also known for that, where's there's a lot of smushing that goes on. Sort of it's become a local joke, right that you can say, get yet, and everybody there will know, will know what it is, but all of us say eat, yeah, did you eat it yet?
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To As a Southerner, I actually one tag for me. My husband always says he notices I say it is I say, I'm a I'm doing that. I eat. I'm gonna eat now, And that's the same thing instead of I'm going to eat or finna right the.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring that one up, fina, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was fixing to right too. Yeah, and then it shortens so and we all do this. It's all due to these natural tendencies and speech, which are the things that gave rise to accents in the first place, which is whenever we separate we're not talking to the same people, we will have these different variations arise that sort of come in different ways, different forms, but all from the same underlying predispositions we have as human language speakers due to articulatory and perceptual efficiencies in the way that our mouths work, in the way that our brains process things. So a great example is in unstressed syllables, of which English has a lot. Whenever you get an unstressed syllable, it for every speaker of every variety of English, it will cause what's what's known as weakening or nission bilinguist, which simply means you reduce the articulatory gestures because it's spoken much more quickly and which with less articulatory force because it's an unstressed syllable, and so.
Speaker 1: And so those tend to be the ones that disappear.
Speaker 2: They are the ones that either get completely deleted or you have continental changes that happen typically, or even vowel changes. So a great example is the way that we say water, so water is a stressed and unstressed syllable. The first syllable stress, the second's unstressed, which means that second still syllable is ripe for stuff to happen. And yeah, I mean you can get things where it's who whole deletion, So I want some wah wah.
Speaker 3: Right by the way a baby would say it wah wah.
Speaker 2: But more likely what happens is you do something like change the way the teas pronounce, so you either keep it a tea so water, which sounds very right British, or you say wah uh, which also sounds British, but a very different variety of British English. Or you say water with a D, which is which is always say that lap, right, which is a flap. It's not really the same thing as a D, which is actually a more forceful articulation, So a D has more articulatory effort than the flat. But a flap is like an intermediate sound between a T and a D, where the tongue just slaps against the alveolar ridge really fast and makes a D like sound.
Speaker 3: And notice how those.
Speaker 2: Are all basically weakening occurrences occurring in an unstressed syllable. So but the outcome is different, and the outcome is different because we've been separated by time and land and social space. So it one became British and one became American, and it's mainly because those things developed after we separated, and we're apart for long periods of time.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating and I've always posited, tell me if this is wrong. I've always posited that the reason that Americans say file at and British people say fill it is because we are adapting the I mean, it's a French word, right, so we're we're saying it the way we heard the French say it, or did we change it back from phill it?
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's I'm more systemically, American English speakers tend to have stress patterns that are different than British speakers. So secretary secretary, how do they say it in Britain?
Speaker 1: So say secretary secretary or laboratory?
Speaker 2: Yes, right, So they often have a different stress pattern and so that will change the way you pronounce, specially the end sounds and like buffet is the same thing, it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah we say ballet, Yeah, we say in ballet, ballet right.
Speaker 2: So it's part of a larger trend, and part of that is driven by after the Revolution, the founding fathers and Noah Webster really wanted to americanize American English because of its role in symbolic unity, but also its role in separating from our former motherland. And so a lot of stress differences were part of this reform movement that was both in spelling, to spell English differently, but also to pronounce words in an American way. And sure, some of it more recently, depending on the history of a specific word, can be while we borrowed it later from French, and so that's why we have that pronunciation. Certainly you can find that, but more generally, when we see patterns like this, it's often attributable to these earlier points of history where the American language was trying to find its own footing. We got lots of new words, new stress patterns, new spellings, and much of this played a symbolic role in establishing American identity. But it wasn't just arbitrary. In fact, you know, people like Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Noah Webster, John Adams, even George Washington did play a role in make making sure the American language as they called it, which Noah Webster coined, was a unifying force on a fragile nation because the states were already at war with each other within a few years after the revolution, and having regional dialects was actually something they were worried about. Having different ways of saying things with something they were worried about because of the impact it had in sort of establishing a national identity.
Speaker 1: So how did they talk?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I've always been curious because I don't trust the movies. I mean, I know that they don't didn't have just straight up British accents. But even when you look hundreds of years later at early like American cinema, there was this way, or if you listen to old recordings of poets around the turn of this past century, there's this like, very like affected way that they talk. And I always have wondered, was that how they actually talked or were they putting something on for the camera?
Speaker 2: No, that's definitely putting something on. In fact, in the early twentieth century, when cinema was getting started, there was something called the Transatlantic accent, which was an affected, basically fake accent that was very prominent in Hollywood, and it had been taught by essentially articulation and elocution experts and was particularly talked to actors. It was also taught in East Coast boarding schools, which is why it has you know, the Catherine hepburn esque and Jackie o' nassis and Carrie Grant, So it has this mix of people that were both actors at the time, but also just you know, fdr those types of people that were just affluent East Coasters because that was put on accents that was considered very elite and posh at the time. When that was a model of sort of New England model of what we should sound like, it.
Speaker 1: Was just made up.
Speaker 2: It was made up. It was actually constructed by a woman who taught elocution, and it was based on the model of a sort of a New England American and received pronunciation British accent kind of hobbled together. But if you go back to the time of the Revolution, you know, it's a completely different thing sound than we would think of today. In fact, I think the closest thing I could say it sounded kind of like is probably what we would think of as an Irish accent today, although again that's changed a lot since the time, But words like fight and life would have been pronounced more like foight loife. So it really there were a lot of things that the flapping we talked about in water would not have happened yet, so people would have said water, water, water because there wouldn't have been our dropping yet, so there would have been no r dropping, So you know a lot of these things, and vowels would have been shorter, so when you say day it would have been more like de wow, and when you say go it would have been more like gough. So it was very different than what we think of, and it was probably heard as still somewhat British, and it probably wasn't that different than contempt the British of that contemporary time, especially on the East Coast colonies that had a lot of contact with Britain, and they would have had a lot of British speakers because the model of the colonies for really up to the time of the Revolution was the model of London for cultural style and speech. So it did have a pressure on the colonies speech, especially among the educated colonists in those cities, to sound more like that. So it would have sounded still somewhat British. But a lot of the commentary we see at the time of people writing notes about how Americans versus British speakers sounded say that the Americans spoke a more pure form, a more homogeneous, elegant form of British English. And that's probably indicative of the fact that in Britain at the time, you could walk ten miles down the road and not understand your neighbor because there were so many incredibly rich, dive accents at the time, both from what part of Britain you were from, but also and even within England if you were northern or Southern English, but even a little town that had its unique accent, and then class was also very prominent. So in England there were a lot of diverse accents that sort of felt like no one talked the same way and you couldn't understand your neighbor. But because of the fact that it was a London cultural and linguistic model used in the colonies, and the fact that you had people from all over Britain, plus some German and Scott's, Irish and Welsh and Dutch settlement early on, you got this sort of leveling of accent, so that it kind of moved towards this more central tendency of what was more prominent in these feeder accents that would have made it still sound British, but almost like a purified form of British English, were some of the more regional accent features that were less prominent in everybody's speech would have died out.
Speaker 1: It's so fast, you know, there's one concept that I know, I said I was going to keep us at the hour. I'm trying. I'm trying, but there's one concept that I can't help but bring up that I find really fascinating. You've talked a lot about the divisions, right, the divisions like geographically, the divisions of class, the divisions of country of origin, even through time we've been discussing. One thing that I think is a really fascinating slice of America is when I talk to my friends, and specifically my black friends, who have kind of cultural accents, but who also feel a lot of pressure in their daily lives to code switch and their ability. And I think some people have, you know, more or less ability, probably based on all sorts of different things, but their ability to change how they speak depending on the audience and whether obviously the perceptions there are going to be hateful or understanding, or you know, communal or judgmental. And it's such a fascinating I think example of a lot of things that we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the African American English that we hear around us today what a lot of people don't understand. And this is why I had to write a whole chapter on it in the book, because I felt like this was such an important story that doesn't get told is that's a colonial English, just like every other English.
Speaker 3: And we forget that African American heritage started forcibly but at the same time essentially that the colonies started. So you know, the first slave ship was brought over and I think it was sixteen nineteen, which is actually before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. So the history of African American English is just as long as the history as of white English of the colonies. But what is really I think the point of what you were talking about is something called the double consciousness of being black in America, which you have to be able to recognize and adapt to these different situations in terms of how you project your identity because first of all for safety, for professional success, but also for in group membership and feeling part of something. So this idea that you're supposed to sound general American is completely denying the fact that our identity is tied up in the accents that we have in the speech of the people we love and grow up with.
Speaker 2: And who are important to us. But it also ignores that you can be an African American English speaker and be a middle class standard African American English speaker. This idea that African American English is only this vernacular form is erroneous. And I think what we have found, particularly in the modern era after the Great Migration of the twentieth century, that African American English, which effectively was Southern to begin because at the turn of the twentieth century, ninety percent of African Americans lived in the South, but by the end of the twentieth century, fifty percent of those African Americans lived in urban areas, primarily in the North, and many have also re emigrated into the South since then. But you know, it is a story of such incredible cultural, linguistic, musical, literary, social heritage that forged all these different varied accents of African American English, and I think what we often think of as code switching is often this idea that to be black in America and sound black can serve a really good purpose for you as a social being, right fitting with the people that matter to you. But it can also be a very difficult sound to have if you're trying to be successful in this structure that white America has put up. And you know, one of the things that I talk about in the book is that we don't expect most middle class white speakers to go to school or go to work and adopt a different accent and then get judge for the fact that they can't do it. But that's precisely what we expect African American English speakers.
Speaker 1: To do, and so we are less patient about it. I mean as a as a like a white nationalistic supremacist society. I think we are less patient with an African American person who maybe has more of a difficulty with that adaptations than somebody who is like a foreign national, right, somebody from India or somebody from China who speaks English but has a very thick accent.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think that we're impatient with a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're probably right. Yeah, it's a pretty racist country across just race.
Speaker 2: Its class, So you know, I mean, I think also we forget with African American English. And this is one point that I really do think is important, is there are a lot of African American standard English speakers. And I'm not talking about necessarily standard mainstream general American only, but there are standard varieties of African American English that have more of the prosity, sort of the melody, but less of the you know, stigmatized features. And that's a different thing than a working class white speaker or a black speaker that tries to be successful in professional America. And you know, I don't know that you know, race is a big issue, for sure, but also class is a big issue. And you know, if you are black and working class, you have a double whammy. But if you're white and working class, you're judged also quite a bit for the accent you have. And there's a resounding number of studies that suggest when you talk with accent that betrays your class status, that sound makes you sound like you're from a certain class group, that doors shut to you in professional settings so that people find you less intelligent, less educated, sloppy, lazy, all these negative personality traits. So I think it's actually a lot with class, and race does also play an issue, but I think also non native speakers. I've heard from so many non native speakers that have told me that they've encountered that same kind of impatience.
Speaker 1: You're so right.
Speaker 2: So I think what we don't understand is that we don't just speak with an accent. We listen with an accent, and we filter everything we hear through the accent of our own people, right, our own groups, our own identities, and then we judge other people for not measuring up to the identity accents that we have. And it's really about communication, and we are in a partnership when we're communicating, and we tend to forget that when we're talking to someone that doesn't sound like us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think we see it with gender differences as well. I mean, one thing we were talking about right as we started this recording, and maybe it's an interesting note to go out on, is the judgment that often women speakers have with the sounds of their voices and different standards that are held. I mean, I know, working on another podcast where I'm the only woman, we get so many emails all the time about my vocal fry and about how often I interrupt, and the male host is always like, I interrupt more, but.
Speaker 2: I'm sure of it. I'm higher percent sure of it. We hear interruptions from women much more than we hear them from men, and this is a very consistent finding the vocal fry issue. So this was actually what the topic of my first book. One of the main motivations for like Literally Dude is because it's not just that these are new features we love to hate, but that so many of the new features that we love to hate are also new features that women are associated with. And it really is. There is a lot of history behind why that's so, dating back to you know, antiquity. But vocal fry is a particular pariah for a lot of people in the broadcast network. So I hear that from so many female hosts. I can't tell you, almost every female host of every interview I have been on tell me that they have gotten notes from listeners about their vocal fry, even though men fry too, and historically speaking, when we look at the early studies of fry, we hear the studies were first done in Britain. It was a predominantly masculine feature.
Speaker 1: It was a masculine voices, yes, and it.
Speaker 2: Was as being actually aristocratic. So you know somehow now that women use it and we notice it more and women's voices only because creek, which is what we call it, but vocal fry happens at lower pitches. So women have higher pitch voices, so when they go to creek, in order to get creek, you have to drop to a lower pitch, and so it's more noticeable that pitch cliff that you go off. That makes sense, and I have a.
Speaker 1: Deeper voice for a woman like I don't have a high pitch voice as far as women's voices go, and I do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a pressure on you in broadcast settings. So we find that actually in the nineteen nineties, one study looked at women in broadcasting and found that women in broadcasting tended to use vocal fry in part to achieve this deeper broadcast voice that was required for women. Because in the sixties and seventies, when we first start seeing women in broadcasting, they were called shrill of course, and so there's been a general lowering of pitch in many women's voices, particularly in that setting. And then vocal fry also adopts a lower pitch, and those same women in a later study that used it in broadcast settings did not use it in non broadcast settings. So it seemed to be something that what they were using in order to come off as more authoritative and more you know, sort of assertive in their speech, because they were often then getting hit for not sounding assertive enough, and then they kept asure, yeah, you can't win, and all of a sudden, we're sounding you know, to deep.
Speaker 1: God, it's so so I mean, gosh, I feel like I could talk to you, but for like hours and hours and hours about this stuff. I warned you at the beginning. I'm fascinated by accents. You are a wealth of information. We didn't even get into most of the things in your book, which is always the case on this show, because why would we do that if you could go buy the book people? But is there anything I mean, there's probably several, but is there anything that sticks out to you that we didn't dive into that's sort of like whoa that was? That's like such an important topic, and we just completely glossed over.
Speaker 2: It, you know, I think, you know, we talked about a lot of the things that create accents over time, you know, class, ethnicity, separation by geography. But one thing I think is a really interesting topic that I have a couple of chapters that touch upon in the book that we don't tend to think of, is what drives us to be attracted to certain sounds more than others, in certain languages more than others. And so, you know, for example, why is it that we hate the word moist, you know, or you know, I can't stand the word panties.
Speaker 1: That's what I was literally about to say that it's so gross to say underwear, I know exactly, I.
Speaker 2: Just say underwear. And you know, there's a lot of semantic associations because, especially for women, both of those words have been put in context where it's not kind of used, not as a slur, but as an uncomfortable, sexual, sexualized term for women. And so we do find women find those words more unappealing. But generally, you know, about twenty percent of the population doesn't like the word moist, So there has to be something driving it, and it can be partially the semantics. You know, what we call moist is often not attractive, right, moist wounds or nobody's best idea of a fun Sunday. But part of it's also maybe the sounds of the words themselves, and we see that also. You were talking about Italian, that your father's Italian and you have this beauty. You mentioned it and I actually almost broke it, brought it up. Then you said your name in this beautiful Italian way, and then you said it in kind of this more you know, America version in American English. And what I loved about that it was really an example of how certain types of languages, sounds, and linguistic structures are heard as more beautiful to us. And Italian is a beautiful representation of a of a language that has that melodiousness that people tend to find attractive universally because you know, no offense to anybody speaks Italian. But it's not really a globally powerful language, right. You know, people aren't learning Italian because it's going to help them with world trade, Right, They're learning Italian because it's a beautiful language. But what makes it beautiful and if we actually look at it structure. It's because it has a lot of open syllables, and so you know, we have a lot of falla la type syllables that end in a vowel, and it has a quality called sonority that occurs more frequently. And sonority is driven by sounds that are made with a relatively open articulation in the mouth, and that sounds like R and L and M and N, which you can almost just get into the rhythm of me saying those versus duh cooh, puh right, which are not very melodious.
Speaker 1: Which sound very German.
Speaker 2: They do sound very German. And so if you look at German and English, we actually have less sonority and fewer open syllables than Italian or French or Spanish, which are the languages people tend to say are beautiful love languages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, the lovelanguage, romantic languages.
Speaker 2: I do think that's a fun part of how we hear sounds. I mean, it's not the main driver. So you can have a lot of languages that are quite beautiful from that dimension that are not heard as beautiful languages because they don't have any global power, or because they're associated with a disadvantaged group. So you know, a good example of a language you don't ever see on those lists is Hawaiian. But Hawaiian is actually a very sonaric language.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, yeah, there's what. There's only a certain number of letters, and it's a lot of a lot.
Speaker 2: Of vowels, a lot of vowels which are the most sonorant of all sounds. And that's probably because of just the power dynamics and familiarity. So familiarity is a big driver of what we love. So the more familiar a language, the more we love it, which explains why English, which is a relatively unattractive language by the measure of phonetics, is a very attractive language to many people. Not because it has open syllables and you can sing it well like Italian, our Spanish or French, but because you are familiar with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you saw a lot of movies in English.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. It is hard to avoid English in the world. But Hawaiian is one that maybe many people aren't familiar with. So there's all these different factors, and I just I love everything to do with the way that we talk and make sounds. And I think that the message of the book is really that we are all coming to this from a different perspective of maybe the accents we have and the things we say. But what really it should teach us is the universality of the facts of identity and meaning and connection that these accents bring us. Oh.
Speaker 1: I love this so much. I'm so sad that we have to end this episode. I just want to keep talking to you all day long, everybody. The book is Why We Talk Funny The Real Story Behind Our Accents by doctor Valerie Friedland. Valerie, thank you so much for being here. It was such a joy.
Speaker 2: It was you are a great conversational partner.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it a lot. Me too, Me too, and everybody listening, thank you for coming back week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk. Nerdy