Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, most of our postgame shows for football are on Saturday, and I try to have not necessarily a different reaction, you know, because I think most people who have an immediate reaction after a game, like maybe there's some emotion involved that fades away, but like you know, it doesn't really change. But what I try to do is just to bring some different perspective that maybe wasn't discussed in the postgame show. But today's one of those days where I feel exactly the same way I did on Saturday as soon as we started the postgame shows as I do now, although talking through these last couple of hours has certainly helped. But when we talked all off season about Louisville football expectations and whatnot, I mean, I feel like we were kind of on the same page, right, like understanding that Louisville, you know, might not be in everybody's preseason top twenty five. They're replacing so much at running back. They've got transfers that you feel good about, but you know what, so does everybody else. And some of the transfers that Louisville brought in two of the guys that are having really really good seasons. I mean Tyler Shuck. I mean he's played five straight games without getting injured. And I'm not making a joke. I'm being genuine here, Like that was rare for him in his career. So now you're seeing him in sync as a quarterback and he's really good. You know, I don't think people knew he could play the way he's playing before he did it this season at Louisville. JA Cory Brooks, you know, injuries were a factor, but took a big step back last year mostly because injury. But still, like he's been better than advertised. I think those two guys specifically have been at this point, Dare I say, a lot better than anybody would have thought. I mean, I don't think anybody expected him to be bombs, but like the way they're producing and really just watching Tyler Shuck, like you can tell you've got a quarterback who's got the goods. So when it comes to expectations, if you would have asked the majority of the fan base, well, if you'd asked the you know, if you'd pull the fan base and asked, Okay, five games in, where do you think they are? Three and two? I think would have been a real big shocker, but I guess it's not crazy. If you were somebody that really believed that SMU was, you know, a legitimate ACC contender, then maybe you would say that they'd be three and two. But you probably also would have said that Louisvill probably wasn't gonna win a whole lot of gas this year, because if you thought louis would be three and two at this point, I bet you probably didn't have them winning eight games. And I feel like if that's you, then you know you're entitled to your opinion and you may up being right. But that's not what the majority I feel like expected here, and I think it's it's worth mentioning and it's worth something. It's a silver lining that for the most part, when it comes to personnel players talent outside of your offensive line, I don't think I've seen anything that tells me, uh oh, these guys aren't as good as they need to be for Louisville to have a really good season this year. So the old line has been underwhelming when it comes to pass protection, but it's not as if, like it's not as if they've cost you games. To be honest with you, if Louisville's defense didn't have some of the goofs, if Louisville was a little bit more effective on fourth down on these last couple of weeks, we'd probably still we'd say the same thing about the old line as we're saying now. But it only be if, like we're asked, like, because you can over the offensive line again, I don't. I think it's probably the weakness of this offense. And really it's not close, but you can. You can get past that. You can still put up a lot of points, and they've shown that they can do that. You just can't, you know, just on it up and run it down somebody's throat with a guy like Donald Cheney. Just you know, that doesn't work. We've learned that the hard way. So you could be three and two and it could be a real, you know, wake up call, a real humbling experience to learn that. Yeah, the quarterback you brought in, he stinks. Jacorey Brooks, Yeah he's damaged Goods. Colin Lacey, which was he was pretty ineffective on Saturday, but I've seen enough at South Alabama and even last week at South Bend to know that he's got ability and he could be a real big weapon for you. Defensively, you're you know, you're missing Quincy Riley in a major way, and that stinks. But I still don't think Louis's defense this year. You know, clearly guy's got to make play. So I'm not saying that I'm watching a team when it comes to talent and thinking oh, we're loaded. But again, I think Louis's the biggest issues have nothing to do with talent and personnel. It's about game plan, strategy, organization, communication. I mean, it's just a mess from top to bottom. So it would be worse if you just were sitting here at three and two and you felt like, man, we went to the portal. And Louisville does, in fact rely on the portal a little bit more than most programs. I mean, if you just look at the amount of guys they bring in, I think Jeffs can always do that. You know, if you learn that all those guys weren't that good, then maybe you felt like, Okay, we just got a bad batch. It happens, but that's not the case, you have good players, so again that is a silver lining, but on the other end, it actually makes it more frustrating to know that it's these kind of things that have nothing to do with ability that are putting you in this spot. So I talked about this at the beginning of the show for those just now joining us. I've never thought, with the expanded playoff, if that means Louisville football should have a pass bail season every year based upon getting into that twelve team playoff, because that's setting yourself up to be miserable. And you can do that if you want. You could be a fan whateverywhere you want. But like, if they win nine games this year, which I'm not saying they are right now now, and they're not really sniffing the playoff because of how the ACC played out, that's going to be a bummer. I'm going to be disappointed with that. But I'm also not going to say, you know, things are broken and this was devastating. So I don't want to talk about the ACC race. I don't want to talk about rankings. I don't want to talk about you know, can you pull off an upset against Miami or Clemson but it's not. When I say I don't want to talk about it, it's not because I'm saying that, you know, none of it matters, because the season's already a complete failure. I just don't really have I would feel foolish talking about it knowing that, like we just need to beat Virginia and you know, clean up some things so they can absolutely get this thing turned around. Absolutely they can. But it's hard for me to like say that it's going to happen until we see that they go out there and actually do it. And I kind of feel like, you've really just played three games this year, to be honest with you, you know what I mean, Like the first two, Yeah, they just it sucked for everybody involved, and it might have actually honestly sucked for Louisville too. I mean, you can't control it, but like I don't know, part of me says that you would have, you know, if you had, you'd have had a wake up call early if you played you know, a different team than those two games. But like, I don't know, maybe it was counter productive. Maybe you didn't you didn't emphasize and highlight the mistakes and the sloppy played because you were winning by more than the spread, but they were still You can go back and watch it if you want. I don't know why you would want to watch it, but they were still making some of these kind of mistakes against those inferior opponents, but you didn't remember, you didn't care because they were winning by a billion seemingly. So you know, they've kind of been this team all year. So I'm bringing that up to say that five games in, yeah, they can, they can get better. They can stop making those kind of mistakes. They can absolutely simplify the defense and just become more you know better, more aggressive, get get a you know, get off the field on third down. I mean they didn't would they make Smu punt it three times or something like that. So like they can do that, But at this point, five games in, you have established that identity, and your identity is that you're you're you're sloppy. You got some playmakers. At any moment, you could you could flip the game, but at any moment you could also implode with a boneheaded mistake or a you know, bad fourth down call. So it's not over. It's not like I'm thinking that the season's ruined because they do have an opportunity. I mean, if you if you go out there and you play well against Virginia and you show that you can put together a you know, a much sharp, sharp performance overall, that'll be very encouraging when you bring Miami in and Miami's on a bye week now and they're due for a loss. But like, I can't go there yet as far as like, yeah, here we go, like because I got to. I mean, they five games in, they haven't shown us that they can do the little things that are needed or avoid making these silly mistakes. So again, it's it's it's a balance, and I'm trying my best to balance it because on one end, it is nice knowing that it's not like you got to go bench everybody and give true freshmen a chance to see if they're better players. You have to do that, and that's a good thing, but it's even more frustrating to know that like these, these the issues that you have right now shouldn't be such a problem for you. And I know we just talked about this in the four o'clock hour, but I do want to reference it once again for our new listeners because I I'm glad Alison called in and mentioned this, and by the way, you guys can give us a call too if you like. Five oh two, five to seven to one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. We do some phone lines open. Been a very busy show today as far as callers, so again, five O two five' seven one seventy nine hundred. But Allison called and mentioned a article that was written by Rick Bozicch in August where Ron English after one of the practices, when asked about the defense falling off last year, he said it was on him. I mean, here's the headline at wdrb Ron English just blamed Ron English for Louisvill's defensive breakdown last season. Here's the quote. I didn't coach as well as I needed to. I didn't put the players in the positions they needed to be in and that was and that was the facts. So here we are, we're blaming Ron English and Jeff Brohm's not blaming him directly, but we know who he's talking about. We know that like he's I mean, it wasn't necessarily what Jeff said, it was what he looked like when he said it. In the postgame press conference, and it sounds like even when he did his radio interview with Jodi Dimmling that like he was even more like just mean the more he talked about it. I think he was closer to exploding. And he kept his composure and didn't get over, you know, didn't get worked up, but like you could just tell the more he talked about their issues, especially those issues defensively, I think he just got more more pissed. And Ron English is still the defensive coordinator CODC, I should say, But like, I would not be shocked at all if they've made some changes this week as far as who's calling the shots. Clearly they're going to simplify some things. But I have a hard time thinking that this would be the first time that Jeff had talked to Ron English and told him, like, what you're doing isn't working. Let's let's let's mix it up, let's simplify it. And yet they were a mess against that SMU offense. So again with Ron English saying that in fall camp, that tells me that there was probably a conversation between Ron English and Jeff Brohm about that. In fact, there was, and it was like, hey, you know, we got we gotta get better. And then here you are. You come out in the first five games, and you know, as far as organization and just game plan strategy really from top to bottom defensively, these guys have made some timely plays here and there, but overall, like they're kind of a mess. So if you're Jeff brom and you don't mix it up and have somebody else give it a shot as far as kind of maybe leading the game plan or calling the game, like, that's on you. If we see the same thing and there were no changes made. I mean, if we see the same thing and their word changes made, then you know, I guess it's still on you. You are the head coach. But like you got to truyt something different here, and I think they will. And when I say trust something different, I mean just letting somebody else be much more involved in the game plan and you know, maybe calling the game. And here's the sound from after the game. And I know Jeff talked earlier today and you know his press conference, you know it's kind of the same thing. But I think he had a little little time to kind of cool off a little bit. He did give us an injury update. That isn't you know, much of an update, but I guess it's something. So it sounds like Quincy Riley is really just a week to week kind of thing. Brom said that it's going to come down to when he's comfortable enough play, which hopefully he's comfortable to play asap. Destel did not dress out, and it sounds like he's gonna miss some time lower extremity injury. I think Brom said he I think Bram's words exactly where I don't want to say he'll be out this week, but we'll have to see. So I'm not really sure what that means. But I wouldn't expect him to be here or be ready to play against Virginia, but we shall see. So it's presser today, you know, kind of said the same things in regards to like needing to simplify the defense and whatnot. But here is what he said after the game on Saturday, And again i'd encourage you to go watch it on on social media or maybe find the press conference somewhere. They're usually all over the place after the game because it's not necessarily what he says, it's how he looks when he says that you can tell he's about to understandably explode because it's just, you know, it's got to be frustrating for him, but it's but it's also on him too, and he knows that. And I think that's why you'll see him take action this week, not by firing anybody necessarily, but mixing it up so you don't find yourself in the same position for the third straight week. Pressure package to kind of get Jenning's uncomfortable in the backfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was talked about all week and it wasn't carried out. So we've got to you know, call a better game uh and and make sure that we're way more aggressive and that we have a consistent plan that doesn't have adjustments when they do something different. Uh and uh that starts with us. Well, quite frankly, we need to coach better. I don't think the uh, the plan had too many adjustments for different formations and and emp sets and some things like that. And I don't want get in too much detail, but it needs to be simpler. It needs to be uh sound and then carried out. But we can't blame all our players that the plan needs to be better. That falls on us and me. Uh, so we've got to go to work and make sure that you know that part doesn't happen again, because we have not gotten off to good starts and it has been costly.
Speaker 1: This thing from snowballing and becoming three losses or or really getting off the rails.
Speaker 3: Well, uh, you know that's why football is a great game to play, and it teaches your lessons uh that will last for a lifetime because you've got to go through some hard times and uh. You can either be mad enough to identify what the problem is, uh, figure out way to fix it and then go to work to get better and uh and still have the same energy and fight and determination to get that done. Or you can wallow a little bit and feel sorry for yourself and point the finger at somebody else or say, you know, what, is it really worth it? So you know that's what you got to do. And uh, you know if you if you're going to play the game and spend a lot of time doing it, these things are gonna happen. You're gonna have some tough days. You try not to have them, but you are. But you've got to respond. H. So you know, I have to do better our coach need to do better. The plan needs to be better, and then we've got to figure out a way to uh simplify it so that we can execute it better.
Speaker 2: So that was him directly after the game. And you know, words aren't going to make anybody feel better, I don't think. But if it is worth anything, you know, I don't. I don't see. This is a situation where like there's not a lot of finger pointing with the players, which I think is good. And I think that's you know, I think a lot of coaches would start pointing fingers at players and maybe deflecting a little bit. You're not You're not seeing that from from coach Brohm. All right, let's see here. Do I want to go ahead and get to a break. Let me get to one more thing here before we get to a break. I'll try not to make this, you know, any longer than it needs to be. But we've had a few people ask about Devin Neil, who it was unusual to see it announced right before the game that he's left the team. He was a former starting defensive defensive back, and I think we can say former starting. He was still listed as a or on the depth chart. Which means, you know, they they and I don't know why they do that. Maybe it's because both guys play, but like there's really no either way. He was listed as an or on the depth chart in the last the last couple of weeks. In fact, he might have honestly been all season now that I think about it, but he had lost his spot essentially, and that you know, he'd stopped. I think he played less each week. But to Mary McDonald, the transfer had kind of taken Devin Neil's spot. And Devin Neil, like a lot of players, you know, he could see that and his role was getting smaller each week, and he did what a lot of players have decided to do. Realize, Hey, I've played three games. If I play one more, i don't have a red shirt to use. So I'm gonna go ahead and kind of opt out, sit out, quit, whatever you want to call it, and I'm going to transfer and use my final year elsewhere because i want to play or I want to you know, make more money. So you know, like I'm not trying to you know, be a over you know, to be overly defensive for the program, because you know that's never a good thing. But like that's not like that has nothing to do with what's going on right now, Like that has that has no factor. And Devin Neil, I think wanted to stick around. He just was making And this goes back to what I talked about last week, because you're seeing it because everybody's played roughly three games, four games the last two weeks is when it's really you know, in moving forward, there's probably a lot of guys who well have already made the decision or they've already played more than three to where you don't have to worry about it. But every year, as long as this red shirt rules in place where if you play three games or less you don't have to burn a year, every year late September early October, you're gonna see a wave of players who decided to take advantage of that rule. So, you know, I think Devin Neil probably did what was the best option, right. You don't want to be out. You want to keep it from the coaches and tell them, hey, no, I'm not going in the game, because that'd be a really bad look on you. Even worse and saying hey I'm going to opt out and quit. So I think you need to be direct if you know you're not going to play anymore because you don't want to finish the season at that school. You want to take advantage of the chance to go play elsewhere for one more year. Tell the coach directly. That's what Devin Neil did, and they told him, well, you can't stay here, So he's no longer with the program. He's actually already in the transfer portal because he's a grad transfer, so that you don't have to wait for that window to open, So he's actually available in the portal now and can be recruited by anybody. And Lexington, kid from Frederick Douglas High School, started his career Baylor didn't play a whole lot and last year he did end up with a lot of tackles on that defense. But you know, no offense to Devin Neil. I wish him the best moving forward. But when I think of Devin Neil, I'm going to think about him just getting insanely abused by USC in that bowl game, so much so that I felt bad for him. And I don't know if it was like the break, meaning the break between the last game and then the bowl game, but like I feel like he gained twenty pounds in that game. But yeah, I mean that's unusual because it's you know, still new that like players can do this. But if you look around the country, that's I bet every power for a program, not every one of them, but a lot of them have had guys do exactly that quick break will come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. Also, don't forget, I do want to talk some basketball because the Sports Illustrated acc Basketball Preview has been published by our frequent guest who covers college hoops, Kevin Sweeney of SI and he is higher and louis than I think I've seen anybody. So we'll get to that in a lot more. It's coffee and company. I feel Abu Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. There's no doubt that when it comes to how losses are going to be valued, you know, in the matter, you know, as far as public opinion perception, like Bama, that loss that they took to Vandy, make no mistake about it is a really bad loss. I actually think that the reaction to it was such a surprising upset that nobody's really talking about like what it means for the SEC. It's just something you really never thought you'd see before. But if the AP pole is any reflection, which sometimes you see whenever you get to the college football playoff rankings, the initial ones that we get that they're not a whole lot different than the AP pole, but sometimes they can be different. But if Miami would have lost to Cal, make no mistake about it, they would have not gotten the benefit of the doubt from anybody. Fandy losing or Vandy beating Bama. They're still going to get the benefit of a doubt, and maybe they deserve it because it's like, to me, nobody would really argue that the SEC is not the best league, right, I mean, maybe you could make the case that it's the Big Ten if you really wanted to go that route. I mean, I guess you could make the claim, But I don't think you think.
Speaker 4: You'd say the conference might be more top heavy than the SEC this year, but maybe overall body of work. Yeah, I think I would still say the SEC.
Speaker 1: Is the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But who's like, who's elite in the Big Ten.
Speaker 4: Three of the top four teams are Big Ten teams are now Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State, and two of those are going to play each other with the Oregon and Ohio State this weekend. Penn State has yet to really be challenged, so we'll see how good they end up being.
Speaker 2: I don't think Oregon looked anywhere close to what we thought they'd be. I mean they had a lot of moment I mean they made up being really good. They haven't lost yet, but like they should have lost to Boise State, which maybe they wouldn't make potentially it's right one, Yeah, they were in a game there till the fourth quarter. So either way, like me saying that that SEC teams and even Big Ten teams should be held accountable for a bad loss regardless of you know, how good the league is, doesn't mean I'm saying that the SEC and the Big Ten aren't the best leagues. But like Miami, losing would have been good for for anybody in the ACC that's trying to find their spot in Charlotte. But I actually think it would have been It would have been a huge point in laugh and overall BAM has earned the benefit of the doubt. They just beat Georgia last week. I mean, talk about a crazy two week stretch there. But it's just a double standard and I you know, I can't defend the ACC a whole lot, but just because your league is good, and like, put it this way, Bama, we all know Bama is good enough to win a national championship. They're one of many teams I think, Well, I don't know about many, but I'd say they're probably one of six or seven teams that you feel like has the actual depth, talent, coaching been there before. Like six or seven teams it could win it all, and Bama is one of them. We know that now, we'll know that in six weeks. But if from now till six weeks later they have a couple more losses, nobody would be talking about them getting in. So like, even though you know, it's not about how good you are, it's about what you do, and if you lose, that is a hit to being able to claim how good you are. One lost, two losses didn't mean you're a bad football team, but like you should be. Like, again, how many teams don't make the tournament in the NAAA basketball tournament that you know have the ability to make it to the Elite eight. I mean, there's sometimes teams that have talent where you feel like, yeah, they can mess around and may look, North Carolina State nearly lost to Louisville and in the ACC opener, in the tournament, in the AC's tournament last year, and they made a final four. But it's not about like what you can do on paper, it's about what you actually do. Results in games should matter, and Bama losing to Vandy doesn't mean that Bama still is not an elite team that could win the whole thing. But you should still be held accountable for losing to a really bad team regardless of what league they're in, and maybe they will be down the line. But like to still see that Bama is viewed as a playoff team. I got to remind myself. One, they do have a really good win against Georgia that is really valuable. But also there's twelve teams that get in now. And this is the first point where we are realizing, okay, because there's losses that have happened this year where you know, hey, they ain't getting in if it's a fourteen playoff, but it's not now now it's you know now, it's uh, that's twelve. So again, it's never been about me saying that the that the the ACC is a better league than like people think it is, but it should be more overall, regardless of your league, you should be able, like you should be held accountable if you lose to bad teams and bandy. I'm not saying they're close to what they usually are, because hey, they've proven this year they can. They beat Virginia Tech, they beat they beat Bama. I think they I'm sure they have other wins than that, but they also Georgia State. That's I mean for SEC standard, that's not a good that's not a good loss. But for those just not joining us when it comes to like playoff picture and all that kind of stuff, like I don't even want to talk about it from the lower old perspective, not because I'm telling you that, like there's no scenario. Clearly they they need a lot of help if they were going to somehow find themselves with an opportunity to play for the AEC Championship game. However, you know, it's feel silly talking about that kind of stuff from the louisvill perspective until we actually see this team come out and show us that they can clean some things up and not be a sloppy team that puts themselves in a position to lose these last two games like they've lost them and they can. It's just a matter of I need to see it before I'm going to one believe it, and I'll probably need to see it more than once to actually expect it. All right, Five two, five seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to jump in and join us. Let's go to the phone lines, and now we'll welcome in. Mike. Mike, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: How are you, hey, man? Hey, So, the benefit of the doubt, I think I mean Georgia. No Georgia win pro Alabama certainly gave them the benefit of the doubt with that win, But like I think Louisville got the benefit of the doubt with a close loss to Notre Dame. And Notre Dame's not any good. If you look at where they were in the ap and then where they dropped, they got the benefit of the out and they just didn't take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: I Notre Dame. I'm not saying that I think Notre Dame is truly like a top ten caliber team, but I wouldn't say that they're not any good. I mean, they did beat A and M. At A and M. That's a win that I would assume has value in your mind.
Speaker 5: No, I think that has some value. Also think they I think that they also got the benefit there of some injuries to A and M that allowed them to win. I think when it's all said and done, you're gonna look at it and you're gonna say Notre Dame was not very good and we failed to take advantage of that. As a Louisville fan, I've already said that we really, yeah, we gave away, we gave away opportunities, And I said, I don't think the ACC is just very good at all, To be honest with you, I think that.
Speaker 2: But Miami, Mike, are you basing that off of just previous years or what you've watched this year.
Speaker 5: I'm based off what I've watched this year. Miami is Miami literally could have lost the last three games they played, and should have lost two of them if you're objectively watching it. Clemson got ran off the field by Georgia, and Georgia's not the Georgia passed. So those are your two best teams. So you in your mind though.
Speaker 2: That Bandy's actually like elite then, right.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think Bandy's elite. I think Bandy's better than people.
Speaker 2: Think, and they're there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that people were not really caught up to their offensive scheme yet.
Speaker 2: What's what's the what's the three games Miami should have lost?
Speaker 5: I don't have a schedule in front. I'm just based off my memory of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they I think they should have lost in Virginia Tech against cal a little bit more questionable, but certainly it could have gone either way. But the game before that they won fifty to fifteen. The game before that they won sixty two to nothing. The game before that they won fifty six to nine. The game before that against Florida they won forty one to seventeen at Florida.
Speaker 5: Well, so I'm sorry I last two games then, Yeah, so look, I apologize. As I'm driving here, I don't have the schedule necessarily in front of me, but I can tell you the Virginia Tech game they absolutely should have lost, and you could even say that they got kind of got jobbed by the referees on that game. I remember vividly watching that game. They can they got.
Speaker 2: Hopes let me ask you this. You said, no, we're going to look back at the Notre Dame loss and feel like we lost to a bad Notre Dame team who's beaten Notre Dame, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Navy, Florida State, Virginia Army like Notre Dame does. I mean, I think Notre Dame's probably gonna finish the season eleven and one.
Speaker 5: They may, but I'm telling you they're not that good when you watch them. And you you said watched the whole game. Did you leave that game thinking, man, that's a playoff team and they got a chance to win this whole thing, or did you leave that thinking that team was there for the taking and they're not that good? I mean at their place, they're not that good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, because I've that's all I've said about the Notre Dame game is that it was so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, they're not that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, I appreciate the call, man, Like, it's quite clear where you were going with there is just that the SEC is the best and that's why they get the benefit of it out The a SEC sucks there's no way anybody could be good. I mean that, and and that's Look, if you have that opinion, that's totally fine. But you brought up the Northern Illinois beating Notre Dame as if that that's the ultimate point that they suck. Well, you can now do that to Alabama. I mean you can't. And I think Alabama is a lot better than Notre Dame. I do, But like people are very very selective when they choose to bring up those isolated data points and act as if that tells the whole story. Because again, if the Northern Illinois lost means that Notre Dame sucks, then I mean, again, Vandy's better than what they than what they've typically been. But like, would anybody be shocked if Vandy Vandy could not win a game the rest of the year, And who could say that they'll be shocked. I'm not saying that that's the case. They certainly have some momentum, but like Vandy's next game is against Kentucky. They'll lose ball State, They'll win that one, at least they should Texas, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, and Tennessee. Vandy right now is a three win team. They're three and two. I bet they don't go to a ball and Bama won't be held accountable for that, and it'll just be because well it's Alabama, and.
Speaker 4: They may not need to be held accountable because if they go on to win the SEC, they'll get the auto bid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. And look, I'm not saying that, I think because it's not about who you think is good and who has the highest ceiling. Like we all know that Bama, Georgia, all these teams, Like we know what the elite tier is. But if the elite tier slips up and loses, you got to be held accountable for that because it's about what you do, not about what you can do and what you're capable of. And again, like all it took was me mentioning benefited out for the SEC and then these you know, the people who are clearly very you know, protective of their conference. Again, that's why I quite literally made it as clear as possible. I'm not saying the s he is not the best league, but you got to be held accountable for what you do in said league. But if the SEC just thinks, well, hey, you know Vandy b Bama, that just means that's just because our league is so great, Like that's actually one where you can't have that preposterous take. Doesn't prove that Bama stinks, but they should be held accountable for a really bad loss. No matter how you look at it. The only reason anybody could claim that that's not a bad loss would be because they're They would say it's because it's the SEC. There's no other factor you can use. I mean, they lost to a Conference USA team two weeks before they beat Bama. They did beat Virginia Tech, which that's that's that's a good win for them. Virginia Tech, though, I mean, what's their record. I mean, Jinia Tech right now? Did they win this week? And I think they did. Virginia Tech's three and three one in one in league play. They're coming off the win against Stanford. So if Vandy loses to Kentucky, Texas, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, and Tennessee, that'll give them six more losses. I mean, is anybody gonna claim that that's not a terrible law like that that would be If we get to the end of the year and that loss ages poorly for Bama, that alone should eliminate them unless they win the league, of course, but it won't, you know, so again, it's not about an argument of who's good who's not. It's about you should be held accountable if you aren't if you lose. Good teams lose all the time. Great teams lose all the time, and doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to be great and go out and beat anybody on any given night. But like I thought, it was about lining up and playing and seeing who wins the game. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Talk some hoops. It's Coffee and company. Feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I was really happy that the Bengals handled overtime the way they did because it would have been tough for Lamar to have such a good day and then that fumbled be what cost him, and it nearly did, but the Bengals held on to win. And that play he made where he hit likely in the end zone after stiff arming one of the defensive linemen for the Bengals. I mean, it's just one of the many plays Lamar Jackson makes that really nobody else can. I mean, maybe others can, but they haven't, and they don't, and he's now done things like that rather consistently. He's a special player. And right now through his first five games this year, he's got the same record that they had last year, and he has a better passer rating. He was ninety three point nine passer rating last year five games in one hundred and four I'm sorry, one hundred and seven point three this year. As far as total yards, he's got roughly three hundred more total yards now than he did last year. Five games in eleven total touchdowns compared to eight last year. So again, he's gonna have to keep up that awesome pace, which he can, and they're gonna have to keep winning, and they will. I mean, I don't know if they're gonna end up being a team that gets you know, home build advantage in the playoff, that kind of stuff. But really, three time MVP for Lamar Jackson is very much on the table. I don't think he cares about that, though. I think he's well aware and we all are that for Lamar, the individual accolades are great, but for him to in fact, so let me let me let me retract that no matter what, there'll always be some criticism out there for Lamar, and I don't mean to say that because everybody's picking on it. Maybe some people do, but like he has entered a level of as an athlete with two MVP trophies in the case and already proven people wrong that said he couldn't play quarterback in the NFL. But like there's really nothing that is going to happen to where he'll he'll not be criticized at some point by the talking heads. And it really isn't even because they're out to get him. It's because that's just how unfortunately, that's how that works. Like the hot take roundtable shows are positioned where one guy's gonna yell this, the other guy's gonna yell the opposite, and that's that's what they do. So really happy he was able to win yesterday. I was gonna have to just not be on my phone for twenty four hours straight if if that fumble would have led to them losing, because I would have been the would have been the ultimate way to end my weekend and misery. Louisville. Of course, lets me down against Simu. Let it let us all down, right, that was a game they should have won, not to say SMU didn't deserve to win, but you know, Louisville continued to make mistakes that should be cleaned up by now, and then the Colts they gave the Jacks their first win of the season, and then I thought it was going to be bad for Lamar and at that point I was just going to go home and cry. But they found a way to win and that was great. So we didn't have much time here because again, mondays are usually just mostly reacting to what happened over the weekend when it comes to football. But Kevin Sweeney, who covers college hoops for Sports Illustrated, he put out his ACC basketball preview and he has Louisville at number three, Duke at won Carolina two, and then Louisville right after that at number three, Wake Forest at number four, Clemson at number five, and then you know one of the things that I think actually helps Pat Kelsey and I hope this is not the case for the next I don't know, ten years or so, but it is what it is. The ACC has a basketball league. People can bring up n C State making the final four, People can bring up other random tournament wins, and tournament wins do matter. But like the ACC basketball, the ACC Conference as a whole as far as basketball, has completely completely dropped off a cliff in the last six seven years. I mean, Duke and Carolina at any moment could win it all because that's who they are. But other than that, and Louisll is a factor in that, louisvill basketball has fallen off really since two thousand and them being the worst team in a league that's completely fallen off is a really bad look for U of L. Trust me, I'm aware when I talk about how bad the ACC is in basketball, I'm aware that that could be viewed as a self own because of Louisville being so bad the last two years. But there's I mean, Louisville could be mid this year, which I think they have a chance to be better than that. But like the teams that they're going to play night at night on in conference play don't really scare you. I mean, Wake Forest being the fourth best team. Okay, Clemson Brad brown Well and they did make a run last year, but like sorry, I'm not really sure that's sustainable for Brad brown Well to go deep into the tournament at Clemson. But anyways, so We'll talk more basketball tomorrow because I do have some thoughts on just you know, just some takeaways from Louisville Live. Don't go anywhere we actually you can if you want, you can go where you WHOA. We're gonna take a break. That's gonna be twenty one hours. So we're back tomorrow at three o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety