Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to another special episode of Full Circle the podcast. I am your host, Charles Tyson Jr. Martha is on special assignment somewhere in Deva Land, but that's okay because we have a wonderful guest with us today. Kathy Anderson is an award winning novelist and short story author who has been lauded in both queer and quote unquote mainstream literary circles. And she has a collection of short stories entitled Vamoose, which is a very interesting and cool read and I cannot wait to speak to her about it. Kathy Anderson, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I just said, the collection of short stories Van Moose, it was first of all, I love how Philly centric.
Speaker 3: The pieces are.
Speaker 1: The stories are you are from South Jersey, but you live in Philly.
Speaker 3: Is that how that works?
Speaker 2: No, I live in Philly originally from I grew up in Wilmington, Delaware. Oh, but I worked in South Jersey, so I do have a lot of references. I have some references to that. Also in there.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: So is a do you center a lot of your work in Philly or.
Speaker 3: Are we just lucky with this book?
Speaker 2: This is more of the first time that I wrote so much about Philly and included so many of the details and try to pick up the very unique vibe that is Philly that many people have noticed. It's, you know, they call it a gritty city. It's a very real city. It's full of neighborhoods, each of which are real, different from each other. And I'm not sure exactly why these all these details started to, you know, take center stage in this book. But I'm really happy about it because I just love living here and I love trying to capture, you know, what it is that's so special about Philly.
Speaker 3: And there is so much special.
Speaker 1: I'm was born and raised in Philadelphia. I lived there for forty something years before moving to South Jersey, so I caught a lot of the little bits of flavor and I appreciated them, and I felt like, even though you weren't always specific about the exact location.
Speaker 4: That certain events were taking place, and.
Speaker 1: I had the picture in my mind, you know, I'm picturing, oh, this earl on that corner, right.
Speaker 2: I think Philly is full of things like little cool alleyways, and I don't know. I mean, I've been in a lot of other cities. I haven't noticed a lot of those kind of same details. So that's the kind of thing that I tried to put in. The old streets, the old buildings, the let alone, the dialogue, the way people act, that is a whole nother thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you do namecheck several different neighborhoods like South Philly gets a shout out Brewery Town, West Philly, Old City, So I.
Speaker 3: You know, it made me a little homesick. This litit. So you seem to.
Speaker 1: Gravitate towards the short story. Why I mean short stories are actually one of my.
Speaker 3: Favorite things to read.
Speaker 1: Part of it is because you know, they're a lot easier to digest.
Speaker 3: The author has to like get in and make the point and get out.
Speaker 1: What makes you gravitate towards short stories?
Speaker 2: When I started writing short stories, I felt like, and I still feel like, they are the hardest thing that I could possibly attempt to write. And when I think I got really hooked on it, when I actually felt like I pulled it off. So the first time you get to the end of a story, you feel like I did that. I actually wrote a short story. There's some kind of special thrill with it, I think, because it's a very intense experience to try to capture a character's whole life story in essence, so that you know enough about them to know who they are and why they're doing what they're doing. You also have to have a plot. Something has to happen, and so you have to have a setting. You have to have so many things to fall into, like ten pages or twelve pages almost impossible when you really think about it, and it's very much for me. It is a feeling my way along kind of thing. So it taps into what I love about writing is that it comes from such a deep inner place. It's very intuitive. It's very you know, just following my deepest instincts as opposed to my brain, which might be plotting something out in a longer piece.
Speaker 3: Mmmmm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I said, you have to get in, make your point, and get out. And what that does a lot of times is the ending tends to pack a little bit more of a punch that way exactly.
Speaker 2: And when you say get in, make your point, and get out. Honestly, when I start something, I have a sense of what it might be about, because maybe it's a very strong feeling that keeps me at it to figure out what is this story about? But I don't know when I go in. So that's part of the joy of writing short stories to me, is that you have that same discovery that a reader has, like I'm discovering as I go along, Like I start the first story in the book with a photograph of nineteen eighty nine Dallas Gay Pride, and from there I say to myself, where is this going? And I don't know either, So it's kind of, you know, me figuring out what point I'm making. By the end, I figure it out, but I don't know as along the way.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: And have you ever started a short story and halfway through wonder whether or not you want it to remain a short story? Like I want to flesh this out a little bit more. I want to see where this person goes from here.
Speaker 3: Has that ever happened? Has it ever happened with this collection?
Speaker 2: Not with that collection so much. But my novel is actually came about because these characters that it was about. It's called the new Town Librarian, and it's about a librarian in South Jersey, a lesbian, middle aged librarian. As a matter of fact, I worked in South Jersey and I heard, you know, these strong accents and dialogue and the whole culture of the Italian Americans in the town that I worked in, And so that stayed with me for so many years, I can't tell you.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: In other words, I knew there was a lot to those characters. I didn't know again what they were going to do, how would it all play out? But when I finally figured that out, that's they became a novel, that whole story with two main characters, right, Okay.
Speaker 1: I described this book as not so much a collection of short stories, but a collection of the lives of complicated women.
Speaker 2: That's so perfect. I totally endorse.
Speaker 1: That, because whatever each story is about, ultimately that's what it is, you know, someone dealing with their stubbornness or their grief or just their inability to like.
Speaker 3: Commit to a decision, you know.
Speaker 1: And once I realized that that's what was going on, it made me look forward.
Speaker 3: To, Okay, what's going to be in this one? What's going to be in this one?
Speaker 1: Are your protagonists always women in your work, no, okay.
Speaker 2: But for this book, what I tried to do was I have many more short stories, and so when I'm looking to make a book, I think what goes together? Where is there a connecting part that because you can't have a short story collection kind of jumping around in things, it doesn't feel good as a reader. You kind of have to figure out some unity. And you know, there are fifteen stories in the book, fifteen very different women and very different situations, but the through lines are there for me, and that's how I put it together. And for me, the other thing that was really important is what you were describing is how they react to these situations that come along. And for me, there's a lot of humor in it because you know, it's very surprising what they choose to do when they're confronted with something. And I think I use the word subversive a lot with this book, and I think that to me, that means they don't follow conventional expectations of what we think an old lesbian would act like or be like, or an old woman would act like and be like. So that makes humor intrinsically because humor is often surprised. So if you're reading along and you are surprised, we tend to.
Speaker 3: Laugh, right, It's true.
Speaker 1: So when you I'm going to get into the actual stories. But I'm just I'm fascinated because again I love short stories and I get to sit and talk with someone who can.
Speaker 3: Answer my questions.
Speaker 1: So, like with this particular collection, when you sat down to write, were you were you intentionally writing stories for this collection or did you have stories that you already had and you pulled them together because they fit the theme or both.
Speaker 2: It's a great question, I actually is the second response. I had all of these stories over probably ten years, and was you know, knowing I wanted to write have a second short story collection. I didn't have in mind that it would be about women. I didn't have in mind anything. I was just looking for feeling my way toward what kind of would form together. And it's an interesting thing. I think every at least from what I know about writing and creativity, it's always about ourselves. We have to explore something. And as I'm getting older, the subject of older lesbians got more and more interesting to me. So I was exploring it for myself as well, Like what does it feel like to be this age and doing XYZ. So that kind of helped the book come together.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: So when I was reading the story She Squared, there was a line that I had to get a sticky note and write a question. The line is when I start to feel love, I immediately imagine its loss. And it hit me that that was kind of the overarching theme of each.
Speaker 3: Of the stories in some way or another, Like, was that deliberate or did that just happen that way?
Speaker 2: You are very astute to pick that up, and it is not. It was not deliberate. But one of the early reviewers used the word loss. I wouldn't have used that word, Like, I think, there's this interesting thing. You write what you write, you make it as strong as you can, you love it, you love every word of it, and then other people kind of tell you what it's about because you only have a limited amount that you can analyze of your own work. I think that's absolutely true that that line is really is true of all of the stories. But it's not the kind of thing you can write to, you can know about yourself and write to. It's the kind of thing that comes out as people respond to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because and love mean something different, and loss means something different in each of these stories, like in one case it's an actual romantic relationship and another one it's you know, the loss of a spouse. One the story with the murderous nun, as it were, the loss of you know, the life that could.
Speaker 2: Have been you know. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: So many different colorful characters, and they're all after the same thing in one way or another. I will say that one the one story, I said, the woman who is trying to survive losing her spouse.
Speaker 3: There was a character.
Speaker 1: In that story that, like, I would love for you to explore further, the hospice nurse, because.
Speaker 2: Story was originally named We Hate the Hospice Nurse, which I thank you for laughing. I found that idea very funny but very true to life.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, having had to experience a hospice nurse or two.
Speaker 3: In my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's all they are really.
Speaker 2: They're easy to blame in that scenario, but right.
Speaker 1: It gives you someplace to put those.
Speaker 2: Feelings, yeah, which are huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeahh Whether you can name those feelings or not, it gives you somethingplace to put them. And yeah, and the more we learn about her, the more I was like, well, I want.
Speaker 3: To follow her where what's her dated day?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's interesting to me about you bringing up that she's quite a minor character really in that story?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But what did? And I again, I needed to have that role in the story, but I didn't know who she was when I started it, and I didn't know what her deal was. So I started to think about, like, why is she so cold? Why is she so matter of fact? And then the rest of what would make that makes sense came along. And I won't say it just in case anybody is, you know, spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: But I was trying to be as vague.
Speaker 2: But I do love that thought of like a minor character can still play a powerful role and have a story that sticks with people if it's if the details are right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know that's my little personal request, like thank you, I will story that's mine. I think my favorite story, the one that my brain keeps coming to when I think about this book, is the one about the former circus performer who takes her still't walk through South Philly, because like, I can picture that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen that in my life.
Speaker 2: You see everything. You see everything on Broad Street.
Speaker 1: Don't you exactly, especially like during fringe time.
Speaker 3: It's like that very well could be a.
Speaker 1: Thing that happens, right, And that just felt like one of the most Philly things, one of the most South Philly things ever.
Speaker 2: You know, what else is south Philly about that story? The neighbor knowing watching. I mean not just South Philly, but Philly is neighborhoods. And I live in row House block and we all hear and see everything front back, who's walking by. You know, it is very close quarters and people really do watch out for each other.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm hopefully.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I lived most of my life in Philly. I lived in West Philly in a room, and it is very much that even if you live by yourself, you are not alone.
Speaker 2: That's true, true.
Speaker 3: And I hated that, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: What is What's what would you say is one of your favorite Philly moments in this book?
Speaker 2: I love Geraldine, the older butch lesbian who who has a She's on an errand to go to the Italian deli that she loves and she's clamping along. She's clamping along in her work boots and her you know, mask clothing, and all of a sudden she feels pushed up against the wall on the street with like something's happening here, and all these Philly things start happening right in front of her. A guy throws up on the sidewalk, A bunch of kids go buy on bikes, doing the you know, wheelies and stopping traffic and so on. So it's a very to me, like everything in that whole scene I have witness, not all at once, but individually. So I mean, it's a very interesting place to live. There's so much happening always.
Speaker 1: There really is, and and yeah, sometimes it is at the same time, and just sometimes it's just in rapid sequence, and.
Speaker 3: It's like I just want to get to the bank exactly.
Speaker 1: Stop being colorful, damn it.
Speaker 2: Forget that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were, like I said, there were, there's a lot of complicated women, uh in these stories, and I think that is valuable for people to experience because I didn't I didn't really notice.
Speaker 3: Let me think about this for a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't really notice too many tropes like in these stories, like or obviously anyway, like each of these women were unique to themselves, to the world they occupied, to the story that was being told. I can't say that I immediately you know, well, I've read this story, I know where this is going. I never had that. And you know what draws you to complicated women?
Speaker 2: Well, number one, that is a huge compliment what you just said, and that is my highest goal in writing is to be true to the characters. Let them really be their fullest self and speak like they want to speak and act like they want to act, and not be conforming to some pattern like that to me feels like.
Speaker 3: Not right right.
Speaker 2: So I forgot the question now because I got derailed to say the end part again.
Speaker 3: What draws you to complicated when?
Speaker 2: Well, I think complicated women on the page like that are very much like the women I know in real life. I'm not saying these are modeled on real women. I'm saying, uh, I'm saying like, I think that I can identify the realness of a person in real life, the genuine self, as opposed to someone who's trying to act like whatever. And so that's kind of what I try to capture is the real experience. And what I hope that readers find is like, it's a lot of fun to hang out with these older women on the page because they are really themselves and that is like the best conversation you ever have or the best party you ever have, is being around people who are just real, you know, just being themselves. So I'm very drawn to that. I can if I can ever write dialogue where it has happened to me where somebody says, you absolutely captured my grandmother in the flesh. I've never met his grandmother, right, but if somebody says that to me, I know I got it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think that's one of the things that I really enjoyed, is like, those are the kind of women.
Speaker 3: That we have in our life, in real life. And it's that idea of like not being.
Speaker 1: Concerned with the exception of one story where that was the actual point of the story, not being concerned about how they are perceived by other people, not being concerned with being.
Speaker 3: Digestible to other people. You know, this is me, this is.
Speaker 1: Who I am, and you're going to take it or you're going to leave it. Either way, I don't care.
Speaker 2: And that is the beauty of getting to an older age. And I think that's a pretty universal sentiment that everyone who gets to be at a certain point in life, especially for women who they have so many more expectations laid on us all along the way. When you get to the point where you really know that you are done with all that, it's very freeing and it's actually very fun.
Speaker 1: I can but imagine, because I'm just getting to a place where I am releasing a lot of that pressure on myself to conform to what is considered an acceptable human But then I'm also not existing with the societal pressures that are put on being a woman.
Speaker 3: So I can but imagine.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite phrases of late is dangerous woman. Martha spoke at a Pride event last year and the protesters were trying to drown her out. It didn't work, and they preferred to her as a dangerous woman. And you know, my favorite thing was, well, you say that like that's a bad thing. That's so perfect, And I feel like a lot of the women in this book could be categorized that way, a dangerous woman.
Speaker 3: You know, you speak your.
Speaker 1: Mind and your opinion is not going to change based on who you're speaking too. If your feelings get hurt. Okay, that wasn't my goal, but I'm not going to lose sleep over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very powerful just to be yourself. Yeah, it really is a very.
Speaker 1: Powerful authenticity is my favorite flavor? Do you have I know it's like asking you to choose between your kids, but do you have a favorite story in this book?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to use that word because they are all my love beloved children, but one that was quite an incredible experience to write was the opening story, which covers a very long friendship, a platonic friendship between two lesbians through their whole lives, through lots of points of history. And it is special to me because it took a really long time to write and get it right. It took a really long time to live parts of it. You know, it's a lot of that book, a lot of that story relates to my own experience. It is not autobiographical per se. So you know, it's again that feeling of when you really want something to be in the world, You know it should be in the world, and it's still so hard to get there. You pick it up, put it down over the years, and then so when it finally came out in a form and a format, that was the hard thing for me. How am I going to format a story this long, and so I figured out one day that it worked beautifully if I told the story through photographs, and so that was the piece that had to fall into place. And so I think when you really work hard for something and love it very much, that makes it very special.
Speaker 3: Mmmmmm. I agree with that.
Speaker 1: That story in particular, that was the It's the first one in the book, and so it was setting the tone for me, and I found myself identifying with.
Speaker 3: One character and wanting to shake the other one. It's like, what'd your relax, lady? Damn?
Speaker 2: And that is friendship. It's so strange, isn't it How you can be lifelong friends with someone the exact opposite of you, and in fact, maybe the universe put you together to learn from each other.
Speaker 3: Mmm mmmm mm hmmm. And I noticed.
Speaker 1: With my own best friends circle, and you know that circle is tight now as you get.
Speaker 3: Older, you shed the extra.
Speaker 1: The ones who are our closest we love them and we hate them sometimes for the exact same reasons.
Speaker 2: You've caught it exactly. It's because they're family. It's just like family. We also we know each other so well. We can you know someone too well? Maybe maybe, but yet friendship is often the most enduring relationship of our lives. So I really, you know, really am thrilled to honor that. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Not every character in the book is queer, but there is a lot of queerness throughout these stories. Actually, there was some queerness in the stories where the characters themselves were.
Speaker 3: Not actually queer, Mike. If you ask the characters, they probably wouldn't know that. But I know what I'm looking.
Speaker 1: And I forget why I brought that up, other than the fact that, you know, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that theme always.
Speaker 1: You mentioned specifically with that first story that it was not autobiographical, but how much of your own life is in any of these stories.
Speaker 2: Well, the elements of life often are like story starters. So for example, with that first story, it's about two lesbian librarians. I was a lesbian librarian, So there are you know, some of the basic starting points are there, and the time frame is accurate to my own time frame when I started, when I came out, when I became active an activist in the librarianship, queer librarianship movement and that kind of thing. So there definitely are elements, but many of the other stories, I would say there's a quality of detachment, like somebody told me a story, or I was in a restaurant and I overheard something that started a story. So it can be very it's a very mysterious process to me how things start, and I think it's very hard to, you know, accurately describe where a story comes from and where it goes right. So that's what makes it such a beautiful form to work in to me, that I get to have like that discovery experience as I go along, and it teaches me something and it helps me see maybe some of my own stumbling blocks in life or what do I need to learn. So it's a very big experience to write just any short story.
Speaker 3: I was sitting here.
Speaker 1: You mentioned queer librarian movement community. I was sitting here and I was thinking, because we know several librarians, and it just occurred to me, I don't think I've ever met a librarian that wasn't queer.
Speaker 2: There you go, oh, that's so cool. Well, here's the thing I'm trying to think the real one of the real influencers of that, The American Library Association was the first professional association to have a gay and Lesbian Task Force. That's what they called it back then, back in the seventies. It was before doctors, before psychologists, before lawyers had their own gay caucuses within their professional association. The librarians led the way. So I know I became ab yes, because it has to do it with access to books and so on, And they actually had a big influence on the publishing industry because if a librarian organization puts a stamp of approval on a book and says this belongs in public libraries, then the publishers are more likely to print it and make it accessible. So I'm really happy that in my life I was able to be involved with that whole group, and they are the most fun parties you will ever go to in your life.
Speaker 1: Is the.
Speaker 2: Queer caucuses at the annual conventions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that makes sense that librarians would have that strong of an influence on the publishing industry because you literally have your finger on the pulse of what the community is reading, and places.
Speaker 2: Are what allies need as well. So like when things became more people were coming out in their personal lives, you know, parents would show up and say, are where is a book that someone who that I can talk to my son about this or my daughter about this. They wanted to be informed as an ally as well. So I mean it really had a huge impact and continues to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and going back to the wild parties, I can but imagine because every librarian that I know, and I suspect this is just across the board as buttoned up as y'all might appear when you're on the clock.
Speaker 3: I happen to know firsthand. Once you're off work, y'all are crazy.
Speaker 2: My lips are sealed, but you're right.
Speaker 4: And names have been changed to protect. So here's a question for you.
Speaker 1: We have this crazy time we're living in which is reminiscent of another crazy time where there is this battle against information and library specifically are being targeted.
Speaker 3: Books are being targeted. How have you been dealing with that?
Speaker 2: Because well, I should say I no longer am a libraryan so I'm not actively day to day dealing. But here's a cool thing that makes it different from the previous book banning bad eras very different. Now there's technology, and so what happens is you have things like the Liberation Library is an free online library. It comes through libby, which is the Library app that all libraries have. So if you look for Queer Liberation Library and put in, you don't even have to have a library card. You would not believe the amazing Queer Library for free online that people have access to. So what I picture is some kid, a teenager out in a rural area, in a conservative, conservative, conservative area and guess what they can get the books that they want privately on their phone or their read reader, so that we did not have back in previous times. So I take great joy and great hope in these kind of responses to what's going on, and also knowing the pendulum swings and it's certainly is going to swing back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am very much a fan of Libby. That's one of the best inventions man hath.
Speaker 2: Brought absolutely totally.
Speaker 1: And Martha and I have talked about on the show when we talk about the crazy book bannings and things like that, said directly to our listeners, you know what you shouldn't do. You should not download the Libby app and put in and put in your library card and have access to all of these books in e form. And you know, if if you live in a rural area and there's certain things that you want that your library doesn't.
Speaker 3: You know what else you shouldn't do.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't make friends on the internet with people who live in major metropolitan areas and borrow their library card.
Speaker 2: Numb there you go.
Speaker 1: You absolutely should that would be bad if you did that.
Speaker 2: This is really strong and it's a powerful thing that we can do. Spread that message just to get through this bad time. We shouldn't have to, but thank god we.
Speaker 1: Have it right. And what these fools don't recognize is the more you try to say this book is bad, this book is dangerous, the more you're making people want to you read that book absolutely and you know, like we said with Libby and various other avenues like, it has never been easier to get your hands on this information. You know, you should also not visit thriftbooks dot com, where you can get books that are much cheaper. You can get used books at a much cheaper price.
Speaker 3: You know that that would also be bad.
Speaker 1: With the internet, it's never been easier to get your hands on the information that you want.
Speaker 2: Absolutely true, and that gives us hope, you know, we can get through this with all of these things that come with this time as well. So bad things are at this time. But also all these cool good things are happening too, right.
Speaker 1: And that is you know, ultimately, besides highlighting queer voices and artists, you know, we talk about the news that affects the LGBTQ community, and you know, especially in the present moment, a lot of it is horrific and a lot of it is you know, we'll keep you up at night, but what we try to do is focus on the responses because that's that's where the good ship is.
Speaker 3: The way people respond to these problems, and a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the ways are so creative and clever, and that's what gives you hope, especially with the young folks, you know, like they will find a way that you know, even my subversive self, who you know, I had my time in the nineties where you know, we made some noise.
Speaker 3: They come up with things and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, I would not have thought that, Lady Gus, And you know, that's that's what we gotta We gotta hold on to the fact that you know, this this moment will pass.
Speaker 3: It cannot last forever.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is not sustainable, and you know it's just the dying gasp of the old.
Speaker 2: Way, absolutely true. I totally am with you on that, and they know it.
Speaker 1: That's why they're fighting so damn all true, you know, and and that's why I love the ability to have information at your fingertips. I love that we can that authors are still creating wonderful new works, wonderful ideas, so you know, on behalf of all of the idea makers and disseminate tours.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you personally.
Speaker 2: What a lovely thing to say. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So the collection of short stories is called Vamoos. It is a wonderful read. It will take you on many of little rides. Some of them you'll be smiling, some of them you'll be crying, some one then the other.
Speaker 3: But I definitely recommend.
Speaker 1: Kathy, what is your favorite way to tell people to get your books?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you brought that up, because there are so many ways to get it. It is on all the usual online booksellers, but my publisher happens to be a female owned independent publisher with their own shop as well, so people can get it however they like. Feel free. But if anyone is interested in supporting this wonderful female owned press, it is Vine Leaves Press.
Speaker 3: Vine Leaves Press.
Speaker 1: I love it. And if we wanted to learn more about you, Kathy, where could we go?
Speaker 2: Well, probably the best place to start is Kathy andersonwriter dot com. And there are some short stories on my website that were published in literary magazines, links to other things, so there's some additional things to read if anyone's interested.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: So what is the takeaway that you would love people to have from not just Vemous.
Speaker 3: But your work in general?
Speaker 1: Like, if we were to distill your style, let's say, what would.
Speaker 3: You like that to be.
Speaker 2: I would like it to be two words, humor and hope. Humor because I think it's just a basic human thing that we really need right now. We need to bring that to all of our as much as possible into our lives, because it's a real act of resistance to find the humor in life. Yeah, and hope because I just feel the worst thing any of us can do is get cynical and hopeless right now. So I believe very much in hope and looking for hopeful things, and that those are the two things that I would love for people to find in my writing.
Speaker 3: Yes and hope. It is also an act of Resistance.
Speaker 2: And I love absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Well, Kathy, thank you so much for joining me today. I hope you had as good of a time as I did.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful, what a pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so you have been listening to Full Circle the podcast, and Kathy, I have the feeling that this is not the last time we're going to sit and chat together.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be great. I look forward to Thank you so much and you have a great day. Same to you, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: Full Circle is a Never Skurreed Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scured Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trade marks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.