Speaker 1: Happy Friday afternoon. Everybody been in Skin Show ninety seven point one the Eagle. We are wrapping up our week here. I hope you've enjoyed the time you spent with us all week long. Don't forget if you have that iHeart app, you can always check out the podcast and boogie with Ben and Skin all weekend long. This segment right here is brought to you by Rollertown beer Works, which is the brewery up there in Solina that Ben and I are partners in.
Speaker 2: And we got lots of good things going on this weekend.
Speaker 1: Man, everybody loves when we have Jazzy's Tacos and Big Lou Mitchellatta's. Those are being thrown down right now at Rollertown the head there right now and you can get in on that. We got Happy Hour going on Isaac tonight, and then tomorrow's the Celebration of Heat. It's the return of the Mingo Habanero Sour, one of our legendary beers. It fits nicely with nineteen other fresh local beers that we have on tap. There's gonna be music in the evening, two different food trucks when you talk about Cheddar Wheel and then also Ricardo's Takoia good. I am going late tomorrow afternoon and I'm gonna smash. I'm gonna have beer and tacos. Would love to see you there at favorite restaurant or bar. Were distributed by Benny Keith. It's roller Town beer Works.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: This thing's big Well text Mes News tend the week. On the border, Mexican Grill and Cantina has filed for bankruptcy protection, citing pressure from inflation and changing customer behavior. Now on the border, ironically not owned on any border Northern Georgia.
Speaker 2: Is that where the lady was who couldn't get her cheese during the pandemic?
Speaker 3: No, that was Mikosina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've recovered from that her not getting her cheese.
Speaker 3: I think she had to leave town. Yea too much social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think she ever.
Speaker 1: That was actually I believe the one in my near my neighborhood over there in Alan and Alan, Yeah, I think it was. She never recovered, but me Cosina just continue to set records for sales.
Speaker 2: Do great. My family last night, my daughter had to attract me and so they were out super late and they went to a restaurant in a very I don't want to call it out, but it was. They went to a pretty well known restaurant in a pretty well known, nice community that you think would be hustling and bustling. It was dead, Like everywhere was dead. And so you mentioned consumer behavior changing, I think folks are holding one of their wallets right now pretty tightly.
Speaker 3: That's what they said, you know, citing pressure from inflation and changing customer behavior. In court papers, it said customers ate out less in recent years, which I get that. I think people do eat out less once there's kids. Once you have kids eating out as much, I'm guessing yeah, but it could be wrong.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, And part of the reason is kids are stupid and they don't have really good palettes. They only eat like three things, and so it sucks to go spend a bunch of money on a meal for them to they don't eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could just they just you know, like eat at home. I have the cheese that you want at home, because kids love cheese.
Speaker 1: I think also the problem with tax mechs in particular is you look at the ingredients and you go, why is that Entree nineteen dollars.
Speaker 3: It's also says they've struggled to recruit and retain workers. There's Astrono bankruptcy. Hooters just did it. Well, we might see a lot of restaurants file for bankruptcy. They'll still they're still working, They're still out there. There's still let's see, they closed forty locations last month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's about to get better. Put it like that.
Speaker 1: How many on the borders are there? I only know of like one in town.
Speaker 3: Sixty and eighteen states.
Speaker 2: Oh so they cut two thirds of their on the borders. Sounds like it, all right.
Speaker 4: The one in Denton is still there, right.
Speaker 3: One in Denton, I don't know. The one in which Tall Falls is still kicking. I know that because you know, when I see my parents are like, it's a lot of places to go. Yeah. Now, Channel eight sparked a text Mex controversy before the story even broke. They just put out a list and it was nothing more than just probably a little bit of engagement farming. Uh, here's a list of eight iconic tex Mex restaurants in North Texas, and I'll tell you what was on the list. And then they got bombarded with people going, no, this place should be on the place should be on those that's not authentic.
Speaker 2: I know for sure Joe ts is on there.
Speaker 3: Joe ts is on there. Desperados does personally not make them.
Speaker 2: What made the secondary list?
Speaker 3: Uh, Polito's Kitchen and Cantena, the original Mexican Eats cafe. These are all fourth places right now?
Speaker 2: Guess I don't know those last two.
Speaker 3: Lost for Cattle's fourth and then over in Dallas Micosina, Manny's, Mariano's Hacienda, and El Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Dude, I feel like my Casina is undefeated. It's great, so good, you just can't miss anytime you go there. Agreed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know that they're a place that gets called out whenever the Rolling Stones are in town for years.
Speaker 2: Mombo Talxi, No, Gloria's is is some It's different, right, It's not text mex there's Salvadorian.
Speaker 1: Yeah there, well, there's They have three different parts of their menu. One part is text max, one part is Salvadorian. Really, I would say that it is.
Speaker 4: We live within walking distance of one. It's dangerous, so good, amazing. It is the third part of their menu. Kids, it's bean I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gotta you said, there's three parts of the mirror are there's like text mex Salvadorian and I.
Speaker 2: Can't remember what this.
Speaker 3: Middle ODIs. Uh so here's the place is that the readers threw in over a dozen emails mentioned Pape's and Metos, which is Elm Street and Dallas. I guess that's deep Elm.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I've never heard of it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, hite us eat us. That's proud Us off Greenville.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of. Las Enchiladas is again not a super creative name. Do they serve enchiladas there?
Speaker 3: That's their go to?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I thought it might be because he is Casita.
Speaker 2: That's like the donut place called donut.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tupinamba that is the home of the hangover taco dude to Be's tacos is supposed to be the best hangover cure.
Speaker 3: That's not like some sort of Asian soup. I loved when Topinamba was on Jeopardy that one time. And I guess Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 2: That was wonderful. Sorry, is that the A and M guy?
Speaker 1: Yes? Great, Eddie Demenez took Thomas Jefferson to the state high school basketball championship in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: I never forget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cosin Navarro off Marshall, Holy for Holies over there, Richardson, walking distance from my house. I went to Holly for Holies a time or two. Pretty little Mark's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh them, Yeah yeah, you just said you support them and you raise your voice like well.
Speaker 3: The problem that they have is if I was going to walk to Holy for Holies, I might stop off at Swainio first, a better Tex Mex restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh, the local business in your community, trying to make it there. It goes that endorsement.
Speaker 3: Good listener. Uh works over at Sweno as well too. That's a great sat Me tell you guys, do you guys? Are you guys Taco Joint fans? Of course, I'm away on board. I'm way on board with Taco Joint. I think the world is They're amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I stopped there frequently. Right there at Inwood across from Jesuit.
Speaker 3: You can have breakfast n there two on a breakfast TALKO.
Speaker 2: Man, how many are there? There's mocking Bird, there's in Wood there more than that.
Speaker 3: There's one of Bishop Barts. We went last week. Yeah, There's there's one off Casting m Street's area. There's one, okay, and then there's uh, you said, mocking Bird. There's also one over here in Addison that's not too far. Maybe it would technically be North Dallas off Preston. Uh, I tell you how much, Gabrie and Sofia Man.
Speaker 1: No one can understand the words you're saying. He bandidos bandidos is good.
Speaker 2: It's over there and Snyder Plaza.
Speaker 3: Matt's Rancho Martinez in Allen.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I've been there. It's okay. I guess Matt Matt's staff probably wait in there.
Speaker 3: Matitios what Matito's Matito's off Forest. I see that e Bar haskel Haskell Avenue. You ever been to e Bar?
Speaker 2: I have. It's been before the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Ebar feels like one that was around and like when y'all were growing up.
Speaker 2: But they fancied it up, Dude.
Speaker 4: E Bar is packed every time I try to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know they fancied it up on the cocktail side and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: MIA's off Lemon Avenue is an interesting one, very delicious, very small. I remember the first time I went there, there was like seven members of the polyphonic spree having just a bunch of Mexican fiting the Hey guys, they're doing that weird.
Speaker 2: They were in their biggest groupie great guys. One day they weren't wearing robes.
Speaker 1: So, uh, MIAs is obviously legendary because that's Jimmy met Jerry and the picture ended up in the Dallas Morning News. And it's also it's the same family that me Cosina split off of and then what happened was it splintered off of MIA's and then uh Ray Washburn got involved in exploded me Cosina And that's why it's everywhere. But that's why Ernie's Chicken is the same as Ernesto's Patuga de poyo or no, yeah, is that what you know? Pachuga day whatever. It's the same dish, but it's named differently. One is Ernie's and one is Arnesto's because it came from that.
Speaker 2: MIA's. Is MIA's where we'd go meet machine.
Speaker 1: No, So that's that place is called that's over there right by neighborhood Services. What is the name of that place that's just west of the toll way on Lovers.
Speaker 3: I know, the vicinity, Yeah, killed the Inwood tavern kind of that are to time out tavern area.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the name of it. I probably pulled up on a mat. It looks like this MIA's menu.
Speaker 3: Herrera's Classic Dallas Mexican restaurant as well. They sit down. Also, I'll say this was sent in by many listeners to Channel eight, who pissed everyone off when they put out eight iconic textbox restaurants. Lastly on there was Pancho's Mexican.
Speaker 2: I don't get it. Why would somebody include Ponchos in this discussion? Pump Man Ponchos is amazing. No, it's basically bathroom fuel. It's essentially if it was a pitcher, it would be a middle reliever, it would be it's not good enough to be a starter. It's definitely not a closer, but you let it pitch when you're losing seventeen to four to the Royals and you're already in the third inning.
Speaker 3: It is certainly budget food. I have never been I should just call it.
Speaker 2: That Pancho's budget food, Poncho's budget cafe.
Speaker 3: It's a buffer, right, it's a buffet. Is that's the play? I can't remember if it's a buffet so much as you go through, and then you raise the flag and they bring more too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and dude, I'll tell you those chicken floutas are magical, but you see them in your toilet shortly thereafter.
Speaker 3: Is there any other Mexican food chains or anything that come to mind? There's one that you know. I'll get to two that I've stopped. You know, every once in a while, my wife doesn't like Uncle Julio's as much as I do. I love their salcea at Uncle Julio's.
Speaker 2: Chewi's Chewi's is legit. Yes, Chewies I do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Solid ever time get that what is it called big as your head burrito or big as your face burrito?
Speaker 2: I think got like a Jlipino ranch dip. That's just the boobs.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just real ones No, you just get that appetizer sampler going. Oh, dude, do you get a little bit of everything? Your Gucci fan too, Margerita's Deep. Yep, you're having the time of your life.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm sitting here helping a lot, sitting here trying to look at lovers in Inwood area to try to find that place.
Speaker 2: And I just can't find it.
Speaker 4: Man, place of Tacoo is great. Where's that it's down, Bishop Barb. Yes, it's fantasy. It's more like street tacos. But they are so good, delicioso.
Speaker 2: It is imperative right now if you want to support, if you love a restaurant, you know, get out there and support it as much as you can.
Speaker 1: It's not great right now. Tough times for the ye ye all right. Uh, I hope everyone had a wonderful week. And now at five almost six o'clock on a Friday, you're rushing out to eat some Mexican food. That is going to do it for us. Now, don't forget, MAVs is early tonight, so pregame is early. But I'll never forget the time that KT looked Poncho dead in the eye and he said was in the today and it was strange. No, I'm sure what that meant. All right, stick around right here on the eagle there you.
Speaker 2: Going, well, I want to get my sack backed, dude
Speaker 3: God bless Jesus,