Speaker 1: But welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty six.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello everyone, Welcome again, especially for those of us in the New York area living through the biggest snowstorm we've had in many years. I want to begin. Unfortunately, we lost three more important people this week. If you're not aware of it, I'll share it with you. Say something about each one. The first is they called himr of Dovad Rachellem David Slivachik, the son of Revel, although really the last person born in Brisk who could have would have remembered the Torah world of brisk obviously, uh, someone who carried on the Brisker dynasty, the Brisker method. Let me say one interesting point about him, though, because if you know a bit about brisk you'll know that he was very extreme and big anti Zionist, all sorts of extreme stuff. But he's not sot Mar. And what I mean by this is, as follows the sool in my opinion of Sotmar, isn't the Antiseionism. I mean that's people in his freedom of thought, if they want to be Antizialionists. Of course, I don't like it if they are ally with non Jews against Israel, but usually they don't. But I'm not such a Mazaki person that it bothers me so much if wants to be anti Zionist. What bothers me is that I think is the real sool is that the degrade tower scholars that are not in their camp. And we have we saw that you vote of rebbel Avi nearror of Hero's hanking about this that was never a trait in the Salivachik family. In fact, you can look in uh if you're just interested, you can go to u shii a.
Speaker 3: V.
Speaker 2: Michilimdsalavchik Drushagada. I found one of the volumes in which, after pages of blasting Zionism how terrible it is. And if you think that, uh, he thinks Zionism destroys the hope for Misha. If you think there's anything positive in the state of Israel, you have a problem, Uh, real extremist stuff. But then he says, and listen carefully to this, Sarmadabri. He says everything we said. This is after all the pages about how Zaionism is the worst possible thing. He says, Zehu al Hashita. He says, this is referring to the the idea, the Lolas al zelba an ashimh Redem a feel and he explains that we're not talking about individuals. And if you have Orthodox Jews who make a mistake and who follows Zionism a sore. He says, it's forbidden to degrade a Tamadraham and you have to at least hegi mam, but dere herritz and uh. And he goes on that this is He says, in all the years, I never heard my father degrade anyone, and also Rebraim never would degrade anyone. We know Repaiim Dafko went to the funeral of Schmoll Mulliver to let people know that the dispute was only an ideological the early Desionists. Well, it's Zionist, but also he's a good Obisroo to know that the dispute was only ideological, and this is a trait. Even ruff Cook is respected by the cell of HX. So it's although philosophically they are no different, and I shouldn't say they're no different than somethmore because their opposition to Zionism is not because the Gimos, the three. It's because of the heretical nature of secular Zionism, and also they thought that establishing the state would lead to mass uh deaths of Jews in the war. But in practice they're the same as Satmar and the toy Kart and the rest. They do not believe there should be a state. Uh, there should there shouldn't have been a state there They they think Zionism is a demonic basically, Uh, it's a way of turning Jews into irreligious like the Gulib. But in terms of how you deal with people who are Zionists, so we know that in some are they degrade routinely, not just Zionist rabbis, that they would degrade Ruby Steinmann, all sorts of there is unfortunately, all about degrading people disagree with them. It's an unbelievable sort of backwards type of education. But among the Briskers it's not that way. It's the Sheita, only the Sheita, and uh, look they're they're entitled to have to have that view. In fact, this is the famous story that Revolval was very friendly with for Mayor Barilane. So one then Mayor Bilan, his relative was once visiting him. So someone one of the extremists says, why are you so friendly with him? He's as a Zionist, So he said, he's Mischbacher, he's family. So for family, you know, that goes for the riskers above all ideological conflicts. So someone else, another rabbi was there, said, well, then then we should feel the same thing with Riff Cook. He thinks that all I've called you throw was his family. So why do we criticize riff Cook for reaching out to the irreligious. Uh, he's in his mind they're all family. So that's he's ninety nine years old. So but you know, at that age, when you get the virus, it's tough. The next person who we lost this week the same day, actually is Rabbi Shiner, Vitzak Shiner. He's the Russishiva, the comminists Yeshiva. He's born in America, Pittsburgh. He was he learned in yu or in those days is called Yeshivak, and then he went to Tarvadas. It says here he taught in Montreal, Switzerland. In the sixties. He was a rebby became closer to Birik of Weinberg, and then he became head of the Kaminists Yeshiva. In fact, here I'll show you a tidbit for those here. This comes from Hamasmid, which was in nineteen forty the Yeshiva college magazine or you knew not magazine, a yearbook. And here it has a picture of the chess team. And let me enlarge it for you a little bit. And who's on the chess team none other than is a door shiner. Is the door shiner is none other than Rabbi Jitsak shin Er. The problem is, I don't know who which one of these The picture is not that clear. I'm not sure which one is Rabbi Shiner. I guess I could figure it out if I enlarged it enough. But he was on the chess team, and uh, big Rosseshiva, big tim of Hacham. So that's unfortunate. And finally, the last one we lost, and we mentioned him last week that he was ill, is Rabbi Abraham Towrski therapist speak. Just so you remember one thing, Rabbi doctor Abraham Towrsky invented something that we all know. Well, So let me just play it for you.
Speaker 3: The week before married, and I was dovening, and I remember the spot not that I was at in the shool and I was dovening chakras, and I came to the phrase because she right we asked. I said, save your help your people, and bless your inheritance, live in love, and elevate them unto eternity. And as I was saying that, I started thinking to myself as he was. Next week the week after that, my younger brother got married, So I sang it at his wedding, and it caught on and some people were at the wedding and went to Israel and they brought us son to Israel. And a few weeks later a neton tune came from Israel, and this was the tune. It was a brass a song with a braslidon.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Then later I heard it's a how bad song?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do I care?
Speaker 3: I can't copyright it anyway, right, So.
Speaker 2: That's uh how sia the song We all know that's from Abram Tursky. But that's not why he he's you know, important, he's important for all he did in terms of addictions and all sorts of psychotherapy and Judaism. So another big loss a couple other things. Things. I've been having conversations with the r C a city they needed to know where they're trying to figure out, now what to do in terms of a vice president who's a woman, how do you call her? And we say, uh, nasiv s minehu, what should we do? So in Israel, apparently you know, segan is used, uh, And I learned that for vice president the word is segan meet remember not so that that we we had this discussion about the uh you know this youod tough endings. So even though I originally assumed it's, uh, it's a strange ending, that's uh, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Two more things Ravaril from marriage I saw writes we saw her by Kats's past thing about violating shabas if you're under addiction. He just wants to stress that experience has shown that alcohol and drug addictions are not like other addictions that uh, once you uh, it's uh if you fall back, it could uh it could really lead you down really a terrible slippery salt. So it's really different than the other case. So we were speaking about Robert says, we spoke about the Kousenberger's Rebby's hatred of non Jews, and I raised the issue that you know, we have these rabbis that we don't want to disown him. I just raised in my mind the question of Farakahn, that we have a problem where you know, in the black community they don't want to disown him. And I raised the issue that you know, I see where they're coming from, because we sometimes can also have the problem about Victor Miller, for instance. I mean, some of the stuff he says is outrageous, really really racist stuff. Does that mean we just get rid of him? So it's so, But Robert writes that Farrakhan's different because he no longer he used to be a fringe character, but now you know, he's recognized by the leadership of the Women's March and several congress people. Different ballgame. Look, obviously I wish Faraghin would be gone. He's all trouble, evil man. But that's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about was the the issue that so for instance, that black politicians just seemed to be connected. This picture incidentally, never came out during the election. A black photographer took it and one published a picture till after Obama was no longer in office because he thought that would doom his presidency. Uh, and we have. It's the only point I was trying to make is that it's I see from the black perspective that they they like so many of the things. He says, that they often find it hard for them to condemn him completely, even though I like them too. I wish they would. But all I was saying is that I get it to a certain degree, because we have that problem as well. And one of the rabbis in my book, redouve le Or, someone wrote to me saying it was a disgrace that I included a letter from him, because he's a racist, they say, And you know, I don't. I don't know what where to draw the line. Two more things we spoke. I gave you my spiel last time that I think that the Extrasidium, that what they're doing, it's like a form of reform Judaism, not caring about the hm, not caring about the haahas of the kach Nefesh. And then I said the fact that they're strict in all these areas, so what the sad uses are strict? The Carwrts were strict, sometimes more than the rabbis and all and behold in Rabbi Mazusa's Parsha sheet last week, what is he cites an example of the cart rights. I mean I knew the example, but I'll show you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He speaks about this example that it's in u vayikro what are we here? Chapter three? If you look in this pusak verse nine where it talks about hello, oh ah yeah, which it's we translate the choice part of the tail. But the car rights understood this as like connected the ray lev that's uh, and they connected just like you can't eat the ray lev. You can't eat the uh, the tail, whereas we think you can eat the tail. So there's an example where the car rights were stricter than us. Look, I there's an old joke which they say, why do we say in Rashon Zamerbach actually said this, Why does it say and done else? Sadiki valrasidim? Why do we put sadiki before hasidim? Because you don't start up with hassidium, you know in MASDM so uh, I don't want to start up with them. That's my opinion. Okay, Then the last thing I want to say before we begin, and we have lots of good stuff. Is uh, you know this is a pretty unique class, and that we have people who are not in the Orthodox world who listen to it on YouTube. I don't know if live. We have people monern Orthodox, we have people right wing, we have Harasidi, we have Sotomore, we have so a lot of people know things about certain things, they don't know things about other things. So let me just take two minutes because someone emails me and uh, ask any question about because we dealt earlier questions about Coalesha and what I'm going to tell you now might be shocking for some of them. But I'm and I'm not the rabbi here. I'm not going to defend you know, you can ask your Agoras. I'm just telling you how it is in the modern Orthodox world. Coalesha is not taking the way it is in the Haaradi world. You can see, for instance, most recently r emotional listen sing as a whole piece on this. I'll just read you his conclusion. He wrote in Hebrew and English that he says we may summarize as follows under circumstances in which the song does not arouse sexual desire, does not emphasize femininity in a sensual manner, and the listener estimates that he will not come to have sexual thoughts. We should not forbid listening to a woman's voice. So it's all based on individual feelings. And then he says, this means that nero is not a problem participation in official ceremonies. You can hear a woman do star spangled banner or anything that you know. It's up to you individually. So that's what he says. Now, the fact is that as far as I know, every single modern Orthodox school in America has girls singing, usually singing in groups, but sometimes it at least as of a couple of years ago. Ramas Yeshiva of North Shore women girls solos as well. Furthermore, it goes more than this. I'm gonna show you something right now which will be astounding. It's not just and it's not even a street acous head there because we're not dealing with holy songs. You have a yeshiva competition battle of the bands in a New York area of all the yeshivas modern orthodoxyeshivas, even the more right wings participate. Massifta of Woodbury participates, and girls sing. So I'm gonna show you something. If it troubles you can turn away or something. But I'll just show you quickly so you know what I'm talking about. And I'm doing this for you in the Haredi world to listen because I know you're gonna be astounded by this. And again I'm not here to defend or anything. I'm just saying this is what it is. I'm gonna show you Maya Note to her second place. And this is in the Monerothos world. This is not surprising, but here these are girls from Maya Note, which is a separate sex school in Bergen County that we already said it's it should be Maya Note, but they call it Maya Notes. So just watch this for a second and understand this is uh this and this takes place every year when you can have Yeshiva competition and this is for boys and girls night stay up, cashing in my badup some nights, a co h D some night and it's real performance, like look still not shine for.
Speaker 3: Why don't we bring the rules already? I would never want high.
Speaker 2: So obviously this would never happen in the Harabian You just think this is crazy. But by the way, I think even the boys singing is crazy, because why should at Yeshiva? You could say, I mean sing secular songs like this massiffa woorder buried the Jewish songs. I'll give you an example. These are the guys who won first place. I feel like new sunglasses, like a brand new So this is not unusual for anyone who lives in the New York area knows the modern Orthodox schools. And I'm just giving this because the question I was asked about girls singing, it's like so far out of left field without any understanding of what actually takes place in the modern Orthodox that you can actually have events where girls, granted are singing together, but still are actually performing and running around on the stage. And that's that's I'm sure you have that in Israel. Also on the religious ignness. But let me leave that at there. Okay, everyone, let us return to where we were. We were getting into the rum bomb again. I'm gonna show you some interesting things. And I do want to actually correct something I said last class when I said that the rum bomb, because this is gonna be relevant to what we're gonna do today as well, I said he doesn't have a problem with someone thinking God has emotions. I shouldn't have used that language. He of course he has a problem because you're not supposed to think God has emotions. What I meant is that he doesn't regard you as a heretic. It's not one of the thirteen principles anything like that. So he can be a little he's a little laid back, and if people make the mistake, and they don't. The Rambamb in a number of places is willing to allow the masses even if it's wrong to carry on with mistaken ideas. So, for instance, one of the most famous examples of this is as follows, what does the Rambam say in the missionatoah hijos Massuza which chapter four he says alahafour. It's a common custom to write God's name Shahdae on the outside of masusa, opposite the empty space left between the two passages. There's no difficulty in this since the addition is made outside. Those however, who write the names of angels, sacred names, et cetera, on the inside of the mezuza have no share in the world to come because they knowify the Mitzvah. They turn the Mitzvah into a kamea talisman. The round bomb thinks it's foolish. It's meaningless to write God's name on the outside. Also, but you're not affecting the Mitzvah. There's nothing about the Mitzvah. You're just doing something foolish. So I people want to do something foolish, that's okay. Well, when you're actually on the inside, in the cloth where the Hebrew writing is, if you're gonna write gods, special holy names and angels names there, then you're getting involved in the Mitzvah, and that's that has to be uprooted. That's incorrect. So the round Boumb's tolerant. I said this to a friend of mine because a friend of mine, a very learned guy in t Neck. You might listen to some of the classes. He wrote a letter to the Jewish Link last year, because the Jewish Link publishes the most crazy stuff sometimes. Actually it was two years ago. I mean, you have people coming to read poems. Once someone came bring holy water. You know Jews have holy wooter too, And you have these cabalists, a self style cabalists that you can call and meet them. It's like they take out these big ads that Rabbi so and so will be meeting people. You have a woman who comes and she has this molten lid. She does hocus pocus to remove the ion ara. And he writes an article saying there that this is this is an outrage and this is a him and it's a disgrace. And I wrote to him, I said, uh, you know, the raal mom is more tolerant that if it doesn't if people feel they get something from it. Uh, you know, the rom Im is willing to let it slide as long as it's not you're not taking the midst of itself and using it as a as an amulet. If people want to have their their their gatherings where they all these sort of things they do, they're hollow baking and all that for the the to get rid of the ion horahs. Uh, the ra Mom's okay with all of that. Now, this is going to be very relevant to what you do with what we're going to see now, because we're going to see something where the ram Mom is not so tolerant of. And before we get into that, I need to show you, uh a the rombum. The Rumbam says as follows, there actually is. It's it's a rare book and that it's very hard to find, but it's a there's a translation of Safer Mada of the Rumbam together with the commentary. There's there's the criticisms of the rivad and a little bit of a commentary by the translator. The translated's name is rabby Simon Glaser. He was a rabbi in a number of places in America. Also was a rabbi earlier in in Canada in Montreal. I believe it was not Toronto. I think it was Montreal. In one of Ira Robinson's books about the rabbis in Montreal, he deals with him in the custrous controversies he was involved in. Instantly or I Robinson has a new book coming out on none other the Rabbi Judol Rosenberg, the famous Golamudol Rosenberg, and who was the rabbi of the show. I guess that Rabbi Kelman used to be the rabbi of But so this is that trans If you've never seen the translation, here it is so this isn't peric gimmo halacha Zion. Let me read it to you here in Hebrew and translated. He says misha he mary Grin, meaning there's five people are called mini. Now the translator has atheists here. Atheist is not really the translation heretics. I would say, oh, Mayer, one who says shane sham l l loa as we said it's pronounced, it's not pronounced l o ha. It's not pronounced. It's it's we spoke about this. I think it's called the furtive patava. We have that with. There's different ways of pronouncing it in this Fardic world. They pronounce it generally, not a low and loah, it's l o wah. Also, for example, you have like how do you pronounce it's a yah reyak? Is it ya reach or is it ya ray yach with different but everyone knows you don't pronounce it l oh. It's like the word noah. It goes beforehand and instantly the word sham there Homer sham la the word sham. There's so much written about it. What does it mean? People don't know what to make it. It's simply an Arabic word that's been brought into Hebrew. Doesn't you can't translate it. It's uh so one who says there is no God van oman Hig there's no ruler, I guess of the world. That's uh, that's a heretic. The second one is there is a ruler y sham Manhigue of Alhinschnai mojosir. There's more than one God. Now this is the one we're interested in. The third one o mayor sham Ribond someone who says that there is one God of al shuguf Ubaltmuna, but he has a form, a physical form. Uh, you believe that you're a corporeal god, You're a heretic. That's what the Ramam says. Now look at the rivat I mean largest for you. The Riva, the great revit right says his follows. He quotes the Ramba, the Amabuna. One who says that God has a physical form is a heretic. Altho Amara Abraham Amaravram the right that says, Vlama mean, why is the ram I'm called this person a heretic ramat Man? There there were greater and better people than the Rambam who followed this opinion, that is, who believed God had a physical as a physical form. Why they believe this? The fima sharau Mikra speak based on what they saw in scripture. After all, God walks in the garden Moses is the his back, the back of his head, the jossaerdos. But more what they saw in the Agadote. You have all sorts of anthropomorphic a godot to God wears the fill and things like that. He's out all sorts of things adeos, which confused people. So the Riva doesn't believe this. He says that these people are confused, but they don't know any better. These are Look, the Va knew that Arama was great, and he says that these are very great people, and they were misled by what they saw in the Torah and in Hazal to think God has a physical form. Incidentally, on the spot here the MiG DAOs, the Migdalos is one of the commentaries. He says he can't accept what the Riva says that he says that the Gamura tells us that he tells a story where a guy sold his animal to a nan Jew and the nan Jew had to sell the animal back because the animal wouldn't eat let's say food that Turumus and Myceros weren't taken from. And the Gamura derives from this that God watches over even the animals of the righteous, and the Migdalo says, if God watches over the animals the righteous, all the more so he watches over the righteous. So you can't have how could there be people greater than Aramam who thought this? Refshemto, who's a medieval philosopher defender of the Rambam, says that, you know, the Rivat says godoling vetovi me menu greater and better than the Rumbam. He says, maybe they were godoling heavier, the Toviman, better looking than the Rambamb, but certainly there there weren't any great scholars. But the Rivot's comment raises a few interesting issues, which for the purposes of these classes we're not going to get into. I'll just raise them. First of all, who are these gadolin vetovi me menu uh? The Rivat had respect for the Rambam, and he's saying people greater than Ramma thought God had a body. The Ramam himself mentions that that he met sages who were not sure of whether God has a body. People tell me that, And then he met some who it's not that they weren't sure, they were certainly had a body, and anyone who thought differently, they said he's the heretic. And there's many sources you can bring on this that perhaps even some of the greats of uh France, of North in France, but we have many reports. That doesn't mean a body necessarily like ours. It could be like is the most pure body you can imagine, but a form nonetheless of some sort. And there's nothing explicitly anywhere in the Tower that says there's no physical form, or for that matter, in the Tumud explicitly, And if you want to read certain passages, you can read them that way. So this is an old dispute. I don't need to get into the historical dispute. What I'm interested in is that the Rumam says these people were heretics. The Riva says they're not heretics. They don't know any better now. The Rifa, presumably the Riva didn't even regard us as heresy, but many later people after the rom Bomb use the Rivus model. They assume that the Ruma's right, it's heresy to believe God as a physical form, but they adopt the Rombombs the Rivas perspective that if you don't know any better what we can call Kathira Bashowgig unwitting heresy. So this then becomes even though as I said, I don't think to rive On himself regarded this as heresy, he just regarded as wrong. A lot of things can be wrong and not be heretical. At least there's no evidence they regarded as heresy. Many others later did regard as heresy. And this then creates a big dispute there of a showgig. If you're an unwitting heretic, you have the rombamb who clearly says doesn't matter heretics a heretic as Recrimesalvechich famously said Neber Chorus. If you're a heretic because of Neber you don't know any better. You're still a heretic. And this position is held by the Barber now a whole group of authorities down to modern times. On the other hand, the other side, you also have great figures. You have touch baits yucf Albow and down to our day of cook even of I believe Rm. Mosha Stern beholds this position because during the Sliffkin controversy he said that Sliffkin's books are heresy. So someone I know who's initial said to him, well, without Sliffkin, is he an api chorus? And Rav Sernbach said, no, he's not an opp chorus, but the books are heresy. Well, I don't you know what's going on here? If isn't the definition of a heretic one who believes in heresy. But my friend explained it to me that he assumes there are stern baholds like the Riva, that if you don't know any better, your view is heresy, But you yourself are not a heretic. Why incidentally, does Rev the Rambam have this position? He responds seemingly to the Riva in the morn of Vuchi. He explains, you know, he responds to opinion that looks like the Rivet's opinion. Sir if Kaf says he must have had the Ribet's criticism the Rmbam for the Rambamb, immortality is natural. It's not a reward. The merea first told us have told that is, if you live the way you're supposed to and and larger intellect the way you should, then when you die, your soul lives on. That's what immortality is it's not a reward per se given to you by God, so that God therefore, well, he'll be nice and give you a reward because you don't know any better. It doesn't work that way for the rohmbamb. It's a natural process. Rabbi Boi, in the introduction to his book With Perfect Faith, tries to make this idea palatable of the roumbomb and he compares it that I think the way he says is it's like if you never took algebra, you won't understand calculus. I think those are the words he uses. Therefore, it's not that if we say you can't take calculus, it's not we're punishing you. It's just that, uh, it's uh, you haven't entered that realm. Raviosef Albo, the author of the famous work Say for a Kurm, is the primary defender of the view that a cooepher a show gig an unwitting heretic does not make you a heretic. That is, you're not regarded as a heretic if you believe in heresy unwittingly. A corner of Yosef Albo, and this is right at the beginning of his book, say, for a kurring, if you believe that God has a body or anything heretical based on how you misint the Torah or Rabinic texts, you are blameless and uh, and that's that's the dispute we're speaking about. A recent author, Menachem Kellner, in one of his books, asks well, how far would your sof albill take this. Let's say he met someone like Mordechai Kaplan and how far are you going to take this idea of a fear of a show gig? But really that's a misunderstanding. Revocef Albo is clear. He's talking about people who believe that their view is the Tora's view, but it's actually heretical view. Like they say that the Torah teaches that God has a physical form they but they believe that's the Tora's view. He's not referring to people who will say that Toras says this. I understand that Tarras says this, but I reject the Torah and I have a different view that Those are not what I was speaking about. He's speaking about people who believe that their heretical view. They don't think it's heretical. We think it's heretical is what the Torah teaches for them. He regards this as a show gig, and they're not regarded as heretics. How far you take this? This an interesting question when it comes to Reves alb. What about a Jew for Jesus, someone who actually believes that Jesus is God. I've tried to work it out that he wouldn't go that far, because if you actually believe, let's say that a person is God, then you're real a voda zara. You don't even have a religion anymore. So it's not like you could say, fear of a show gig, you don't have a religion. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I mean it's a very liberal position in our era of disputes in the Orthodox world, where lots of people like to call the other heretics. If we would adopt this position, which I say is a touch Bates, it's the ebb, it's the rud buzz down to ruff Cooks, commersions, and many others, then we wouldn't have any of these disputes because everyone could say you look at open Orthodox and you could say, well, I think that you have a heretical idea but I know you think this is in ligne with Toras, so you're not heretic. It would be It would make a lot of sense and help us deal with RaBaD because everyone can acknowledge that, even the extreme messing, I believe that this is what the Tara teaches. So you could even if you want to think it's heresy. I don't think it's heresy, because what's heretical about thinking the your Rebby's machiac. You could be wrong unless you think Borinu, you think he's a creator or something. But so it's an interesting position. Now the question is how does this all relate to Simon one thirty two in the book, page two eighty three. Because I found something in the Lebavate Rebbe that I found astounding, and I wrote to a Chian rapport. Lebavach Rebby says as follows in a letter to I don't know who this Rabbi Zimmer is, but I wrote to Rerian report of course, the great Rabbad scholar. The Rebbe says this follows that there's a difference between sharp language curses and you know, harsh stuff you say when it comes to ideas, when you speak about let's say a party there, I'd say misraki or anything like that. And when you're dealing with an individual that is sharp language, like like you said times like the riskers, you could say that Misrahi is heretical the idea, but the individuals you don't treat him that way. Okay, so far enough makes sense, But then the proof Then what the rebbey says as follows Dug Maladovar. I'll give you an example, he says. The Rambamb poskins like we just saw Omer Shahu Goofu bats Munah raise him in the ram Mom says, if you think that God is a physical form, you're a heretic. And then the rebby says, costoom, it's obvious that the that the ram Bomb will not say God forbid this about pony or pony should be him off. He wouldn't say this about an individual. So the rebby says that they're according to the rom Bamb, if you believe that God is a physical form, you're a heretic. But the rebbe says, but if there was an individual in the ram BAM's day who actually believed and said God has a physical form, the Rambam wouldn't call him a heretic. So I wrote the rector, what do you mean the ramon call it tick. That's the whole point in the rom bomb. The Rombam says, how O mayre notice do Romo doesn't say you think it a whole shave do? Ramom uses the language oh maher. So the question is is this love dafka or reflim Hersman wants to argue that we don't treat people like heretics unless they publicly voice it. That is a private heretic. If someone tells you, for instance, privately his view, he doesn't publicize it, he could still be a member of our community in good standing as well as he doesn't make trouble what God does with him. And that's something else. But he wants to say that the Rambam's language oh mare is actually precise. But certainly if you get up and publicly say I'm teaching, I'm gonna open to Yeshiva tomorrow and I'm going to teach that God has a physical form and everyone who comes, I'm going to teach you that. Uh, how could the rambab not say about me that I'm a min not be chorus? And yet the Rebby says he wouldn't say that because it's only speaking idea is not about individuals, and this of course fits in with the whole jabbah I guess philosophy. But I wrote to Rubbi Rappaport, what's going on here and run the report himself says this seems very strange at first, because the ram bomb is very Brewery, very clear that you're a heretic. And that's the whole point of the critic of the Rievud's response. How could the Rambam call these great rabbis heretics? The answer is they weren't heretics because they didn't know any better.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And Rapport says, it's maha, you know, it's it's strange how he says, how could you say that the rambamb loki him out small much possible? How could the Rambamb not have held this when he's telling us that all these people think that we have to regard them as heretics. And Rubby Rapport explains his follows. He says that the explanation of the matter is first, he says, let's understand something that in the Rombam's day, there were many people who thought God had a physical form, and he cites in the note first of all the passage I gave from the letter of the rambamb On treesa massin and other places. We have the letter of the Ramban the letter. The Rumban writes to them that I've heard. So we don't know. Maybe the Rumban was misinformed, but he says, I've heard that. One of the things you're upset about what the Rumbam is is that because he says that God has no physical form, and the Rumban says, what are you talking about? We all believe that, but he was of the opinion that that's what the scholars of Northern France thought. Thebi ropport also cites something else, which it's good you're sitting down. I am the one, I believe who discovered this passage. When I say discovered, obviously the person who published it and knew it, but I'm the first one who wrote about it. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it when I had my book. When I wrote my book on the Thirteen Principles, where I would included it. I did mention it in subsequent posts, and I've translated the entire passage there's going to be a jubilee volume coming out for by moshous Shama of Flatbush. So I have a whole translation and discussion of it. But the Rias of the it's Isaiah Troni the Elder, in his commentary ins and Hedron says that Hayyu Michaud Hashim Shamehem Treluh, that there were sages of the Talmud knew how many krals keeps shoot Tom and what they thought here Krsmuna. The Riaz says that there were even sages in the Talmud who thought this. I know this sounds heretical and uh, but that's what the Riaz says. And this explains a problem because how can you have medieval Ashkenasa stagents who thought this what they just made it up? How would they make it up? The answer is that they had it on a tradition. They must have had this. I believe there are two traditions and then there were and the Riaz says it explicit that there were those who thought that. So uh, this was a view which the ram bomb was able to uproot. A mistake in view. But people give the rahmbamb all the credit. That's a mistake. It's not just the Rombumadoo and others. So the Rabbi Raport begins that you have to understand this was a common view and the rambamb of course he uproots it. He puts in his thirteen principles. Uh, it's in other places. But then he then, uh, what to do with the Labava Trebbu. Well before we didn't get to that. Rebby Rappaport quotes for Bahon Wasserman. Bahona Wasserman deals with this passage and he has a problem also with this passage because the the the Ramam has another place where he deals with car rights, and he says that when you have to when you deal with kara rights. Who are heretics? They don't accept the oral law because that they they misinterpret the Torah because you can't interpret it her without the oral tradition. I like to say, maybe the shock people, but it's true that Judaism is not based on the Torah. It's based on the Torah and the oral to tora. That is, we're not Chi rights and we're not Christians. Judaism is not based just on the Tora. You cannot understand the Tora without the what Jacob News used to call the dual Tora to toras and anyone who just reads the Tora without bale will be violating a left and right as well as all sorts of other problems. Uh so, but Revona Wassaman has a problem because he says the Rumbam here says, you're a heretic if you believe God is a physical form. It doesn't matter why. And he quotes or climbsl of Achek. He's one of those who quotes them that heretic ef you don't know any better. But then what about the car rights? The real mom says, with ca rights even though they're heretics, we have to bring them close with bonds of love because they don't know any better. They've been raised this way and we have to try to bring them close to traditional Judaism. And he's the Rambam ends it by saying, don't kill them too fast, because you know, if we had based and you kill the heretics, he says, the chatsloy Maha Damahargan, you know you take give him a chance. Well, what's going on here? How could how could the Rambam say if you think God is a body you're a heretic even if you don't know any better. But here the carrots, they don't know any better. Uh, we try to bring them close. And uh what Rebbi rapport explains and I think this is there's no doubt this is the answer is and Revevel cell of Atri says the same thing to brisker Rov is that it's not a contradiction at all. In when the Realm deals with the karats and nos Mamrim, he's talking about how we relate to them, that since they don't know any better, we try to bring them close. It's not talking about kape shamaya as far as God is concerned. If they don't, if they don't know any better, if their heretics, they're heretics. Uh So when Hillos Chuvo, when the Romm says, if you think God is a physical form, you're a heretic. That's uh vis a the God that you're you believe a false idea. Yeah, it's not your fault. But that's where prime salve I just said, chorus is still not be chorus. But uh, we're we're gonna if we meet someone who doesn't thinks God has a body, because he's raised that way, we'll try to change his mind.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We won't treat him like a heretic until he uh you know, is uh fervent in his belief. It doesn't change. Rebbi Rahnan has a different opinion. Actually, ram Hahnan develops the idea that when it comes to false ideas about God, it's because people are not really show gig they they were, they weren't really good astray they because they want to sin. They convince themselves that of all these heretical things, which is a very We've spoke about this idea in the classes of our Mahanna and you go back to the tapes. Uh, it's a very hard position. It doesn't take into account a real moral atheist. And furthermore, what about all the other e karim which have nothing to do with uh, you know, God, Why would someone deny them? It's and Reba Rapperport says the same thing. So then what about how to explain the lebavach Rebey's position? Uh, he says, hold on, so let me move on, let me skip a few things. So he believes that what the Rebu's saying is that, uh, when the Rambam says, when he says that the Rambam would not call an individual heretic. That's exactly what he's talking about. If the Rambamb met the rabbis of Northern France, that's what the Robber Appaport says. Mt. Sarfatminu Bakshama, who believed in God's corporeality. I don't know if this is true that the rabbies of Northern France were corporealists. All we have is really the Ramban reporting what was said, and other people attack them. We don't have anything with one exception from the rabbis of Northern France. We have this very strange text called Kataftami by Moosha Taku, which he's a corporealist. He assumes that God can assume a physical form if he wishes. But we the idea that the other stages of Northern France. I don't think we have evidence that they believe that the mass is yes, but the rabbis, I don't know. But whenever, that's what Rubber Rapport says. That this is what Tobabach Rebbi is saying. Just like with the car Wrtes who don't know any better, we treat them well we're not talking about their faiths. You know, uh vis a vis heaven, so too the Rambama. And he meets one of these corporealists, he's not going to go up to them and say you're a heretic. He's not called them heretic. He's going to try to bring him close. He's going to try to educate him. Yes, they are a heretic. But uh and this is just like in a Habat shu. But like any show, how many people come in. They're complete heretics. They don't believe in anything. They can even go to haba sho. Guy can eat on young Gepper. I was in a kbad schoo onants and these guys. He tells me he's an atheist, he doesn't believe in God, but he likes coming here because the rabbi is so nice, and he gives the rabbi a lot of money. So, uh, well, we're gonna stand up in front of everyone say this guy's a heretary. Of course not, but he is so uh you know that that's so so that's what he's saying. The rebbe uh intended that, but it's not referring to their actual fate. I guess you could say of their soul or anything like this. It's just that Lojaya Mahari from a vazzo. Some he wouldn't he wouldn't call them publicly. He would heretics. Yeah, they are heretics, but he's not going to go attack them because they don't know any better. That's that's what And he goes in his last paragraph, he says, we haven't actually not the last paragraph, one of the one of the last paragraphs. He says that this approach, we see it elsewhere, and he mentions the Sprebi and this is what I said as well. He says, if you read the Sapa Rebbi's writings, he attacks everyone for who accepts the state of Israel like a co fair. But yet we know that he was friendly with people like the bells Rebbe or of ourn color. Sir Rapport says that so too. He he had to distinguish between the belief and the person. I think there's a big difference here though, because my point when I say about the Sata Rebi is sat Rebbi used this language, but he didn't think Varron Cutler is a heretic. He said that if you accept the state it's Feira, but he uh, and he did think it's Kir, but he didn't think it's Revron Cutler is a heretic, but the Rambamb is different. I think what Lbava Rebbey's point is, the Rambamb would think that these people are heretics for believing God in a physical form. How could you not, the Rambam says explicitly, but you treat them nicely because you're trying to educate them. That's a difference. And then he right before he ends his letter to me, he says that, okay, now I don't need to He just ends that the the the Lebava Rebby held equal. He cites a letter from the Lava Rebby where we see, even leaving this aside, that the rebbe held like the Rivat, that they're really believed in the idea that a kop for bishogei, one who's unwitting heretic is not even visa vi heaven is not regarded as a heretic. And Rapport says that's also Sitkuboli that in Kabbalah they also teach this. So it's an important idea that we an important dispute which we could spend a couple hours on going through the various sources, but it's it's valuable to remember. And I think the upshot is that if you follow this position which they attribute to the Riva. Not sure, because I don't know if the rive I really do things are doing with heresy, but it's certainly jose Balbo and Natash Bates and others. It opens up all sorts of liberalizing possibilities that you can completely reject people and think their views are even literal heresy, but since they think it's in line with Tower teaching, they are not to be regarded as heretics. Obviously you can't. You don't want to teach people these views, but you can relate to them with dignity as toward Jus and good standing count of an dominion. You don't have to worry about their wine. All the things that you hear people when they want to view someone as rahabad or left being Orthodox, all these things. They use all those examples. But all you do is look at uh of Yosef Albo, and you see uh. You see otherwise. In fact, for Yosef Albo they give Actually I'll get to it because the next responds and also deals with the same issue and the I don't know if we will a least be able to start it today because we have a few more minutes. So now we we finished with one thirty two. I actually think this is a very important letter in setting forth the ideas of lsdeos. I guess you can call it. And we have a very similar letter related letter, I should say, the next one from Rabbi Mazu's. We're gonna I see now twelve straight letters from me and Rabbi Mazou's. When I get to a later letter, I'll tell you more about Rabbi Mazous, how I connected to him, why I think he's important. Why despite the fact I do not hold of doesn't mean I share in all his views and philosophical views. No, it's not that at all. Here we are I never buy one hundred percent into what anyone's going to say. And uh, he doesn't feel you need to. But they're uh, they're of course. I have my own views and all things I think differently of. But Alex I think, as I've said before already, he's one of the most special rabbis in terms of his wide ranging knowledge.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 2: Over shabiss I was reading this book. This is a new book called terras Scholmo. It's about Rashelmo Goren and it's talking about how unusual all the things of Goren knows. And then he says, there's two other rabbis in our day who can be compared to rov Goren in that respect, and that is that he says, Rabbe ma A zus Rashomo Fisher from itery, each one of them are different. Rov Goren did have great knowledge, but he didn't have the sort of wide ranging knowledge we're speaking about. It is a great book, by the way, and Rafshomo Fisher he has enormous knowledge, philosophical knowledge. I showed you his book on his edition of Haste Crescos and others. But he doesn't have, as far as I know, the wide ranging partial note and other things. But so we're gonna see many letters. And the first letter it's the question is the title of it is if someone holds a principle of faith in accordance with a view that's rejected, is that it is to be regarded as a heretic. This goes back to nineteen ninety two. So before we even get to the letter, let me give you a bit of a summary. I'm in a background of this. Whatever we deal with theology, we start with the Rumbum. He's the greatest. There's no question about it. When I say he's the greatest, he's the greatest alargist. Also, it doesn't mean the others are not great, and I don't think it's an insult, but in terms of his influence, and that's going to be important because I think one of the things I'm going to say is that you can never throw out the rumbum in my opinion, and not just my opinion, the idea that you can ever say that the ram BAM's view is invalid because the other rabbis disagree. That to me is going to be out of the out of bounds, which we wouldn't necessarily say about others. But what was did a robbam have a conception of that theological matters can be decided? That is, you can have a debate on theological matters and if the majority decide one way that the rom Bomb's position and is uh is void or anything like that. In other words, do you passin ala on theological matters like you do on allockic matters, that's the question. And I have a whole article on this I can send anyone. But my claim is that the ram Bomb did not have this conception, not with regard to dogma. Certainly not with regard to dogma, as we'll see, but not with regard to other matters Jewish thought either. Let me first speak about dogma, because that's what Remazus is going to deal with and which I actually do not accept what he says. For reasons. I'll explain, can dog must be decided in a logic fashion? And it's often claiming that yes, they can, according to the rambamb and this is very obvious. It's it's so clear. Uh, And no one actually disagrees that Rama holds us I think, but they think others hold it differently. Dogmas are eternal truths, eternal verities. That is, they're eternal because the reality they describe is eternal. If you say that God does not have a physical form, it's not because the Rabbi is decided God doesn't have a physical form, and they decided differently than that would be an acceptable belief. No, this is the theological truth. It was never decided. That's what it is. And if all the Rabbis get together tomorrow and decide that God has a physical form, well, these rabbis are all wrong, because God not having a physical form or any other theological truth is an eternal truth. It's not decided by the rabbis. It has always been this way and will always be this way. And according to the Rambum you're sharing, the world to come depends on this. So, as I said, if the majority of the rabbis get together and decide God as a physical form, it doesn't change anything. On the contrary, you would be obligated to oppose the rabbis. The old paradox we spoke about earlier, you'd be obligated to be a zukin mamray. If we have a son hedron, the son hedron declares that we all have to believe that God has a physical form, we would still be obligated to say that this son hedron are teaching heresy and we reject them, and uh, it doesn't matter. We'd have to be executed. I guess does zuking momra Because it's like I heard from my father once that Abraham Lincoln at a cabinet meeting he would ask take a vote and uh, you know how many eyes and you know the cabinet ten people raise their hand, and the nose he'd raise his hand. He'd say, the nose have it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Uh, if you're right, you're in the majority. So if the from the Ramama's perspective, he's always in the majority. The fact that a lot of other people disagree doesn't change anything I have written, and I have not yet been contradicted. So I assume it's correct that all the medieval philosophical reshow name, in fact, perhaps all the reshow name, we're in agreement with the wrong bomb that dogmas don't change with time. In other words, none of the is shown name. No one is able to find one of the medieval writers. I say medieval because we're gonna see a more recent writer, and not just more recent, a very important figure the custom sofa. You can't get much more important in that. But none of the reshown him, as far as I know, when no one has pointed any out. Assume that something that used to be a dogma is no longer so, and what used to not be a dogma now is so. In other words, if it used to be heresy, then it's always heresy. And by the same token, if it wasn't heresy in the past, it can't be heresy now. The only way such changes could happen is if the will of the rabbi is determine what's a dogma. So, in other words, you can have in this generation the Rabbi is determined, you must believe this, and the next generation a tournament. You must believe that the opposite. But that means that dogmas are determined by the rabbis. That doesn't make any sense for the rambamb or the medievals. As I said, a dogma is an eternal truth, and it doesn't matter what the rabbis say uh that if then the rabbis are wrong, if this is what in the Rambam's opinion. Incidentally, this the position that dogmas change is actually advocated by none other than Soul Berlin in the work be Summim Roche Rafshaul Berlin in his forgery Besummi Roche puts in to the mouth of I'm not sure if it's the Russ or an anonymous re shown there this idea that every generation dogmas change. In fact, Solomon Schachter wrote a famous article called the dogmas of Judaism. He cites this. He cites this, he knows it's written by Saul Berlin, and he cites it as written by Saul Berlin. But he likes it. He says, this is how we should think of dogmas, that they change, but this is not a traditional view. What I'm going to end, I'll end with this is that we see this that I'm correct. I believe in how the people argue and disagree with the rumbum. When they want to show that the Rumbum's incorrect, that a position is not a dogma, what do they do. They cite a tana, They cite an a mohra. When Rebbi the Riaz wants to show that the Rumbam's wrong, that belief in God's incorporeality is not a dogma, he agrees it's true, but it's not a dogma meaning you become erotic. He points to the fact that there are sages in the Tamud who believe this. So therefore, if there's stages in the Talmud, it can't be a doctrine because we see some sages of the Tumult held this and they're not heretics. In other words, They never say that, well, it used to be okay for this those sages, but now the Halah has been decided that the dogma is this, and therefore it's forbidden. No, they try to refute the rumbum and say what the Rumbam says can't be a doctrine a dogma, namely that if you disagree, you're a heretic. And what's the proof. The proof is that this great Ama he held this, and if he held it, and obviously he's in a heretic by definition, it can't be a dogma. They never say, well, he could have said it, but we can't because it's now changed. The fact that the Amorra said it means that it's not a dogma. We will see next class, however, what jose Valbo has to say about this and the Hustom Sofur, because the hustom Sofur actually does adopt the position that dogmas change in opposition to the position I just set out. And then we'll see what Rebbi Mazoos says about this. I'll try to defend my position as well. And then all next week, all sorts of all sorts of good stuff, we're gonna move into different areas away from theology, okay, into some politics perhaps as well. We've spall oh sorry, nine to thirty one. So let me take the questions and comments. I hope today we raise some interesting issues. David Eisen says that Twiski's will specify that mourners are citing new eulogies. Instead, he asked they sing a popular melody. Well, okay, well that's where we spoke about.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Barry Hartman says, I spared by Shaya Miller Tom Winter of Dovis Salve and did he write anything about the love? When you say did he write anything about the rove? I don't do. The Rabbi salivk Uh they they didn't. I mean they they It's not like they they they kept them out of the fold. Uh by his brother of doved Salvation's brother, a Mayor Salaveachik in the book they published about him a couple of years ago, two big volumes called Mayor, and he says that head Yasha Baar not become Asiini, he would have been the gooddle for all of us, because he says that we know that he was greater than all of us. Two grandchildren of the love Ramyor Twiskytening. We're Tom Meetinger of Dove. Salvh es they went to risk because if you're in Israel and you want to know where brisk is, you go, you go to brisk Uh the Yeshivash. Yes we know that, Felixeran, he says, Hakhamavadio josef Aloud not live cole Isha. Actually it's more than that. Go back to the the the earlier classes. We had well not live. Yes, well we spoke about this that in his uh in the a bi Ohmer he says that you can't if you recognize the person, you can't listen to it. But then he says explicitly in the he changed his mind. It's in the bee oh Mare, but just in a little place you won't be able to find it. But in the letter here from his son, he says they changed his mind. And he said that even watching television, it's it's okay. So uh, if you want to watch the Mayanoak girls and you want to rely on Hakhamavadya, you can watch them if you feel it's appropriate for you. That's the whole point. If years ago Nashama Karlbach used to perform and the advertisements for her performances used to say, concert, let's say this for for women and for men for whom it is permitted. What does that mean for men for whom it is permitted? I'd never heard of this going to Yeshiva, so I actually her post sake. Now she's reformed, she's left it all. But in those days she followed at her post sake was by Morteai Tendler, So I asked him about this, and he said that this is exactly what we saw. That if a man feels he's going to be sexually aroused, he shouldn't go. If not, it's like other areas where it's left. And he claims, I don't know if it's true, but he claims that that's his grandfather's position ramotion as well. But these ads would say for men for whom it's permitted, that's uh. Burr says important point. Didn't see them seemed only females there, No, no, no, they's the audience is male and female, like it's said. Not only that. We even have bands that are boys and girl bands. They combine them. The JC my alma mater band is boys and girls and it's all the high school kids. From all the areas and all their parents. It's it's it's this isn't like you have in bass Alcohov where you have performances and uh, only the the mothers come. No, no, it's it's everyone there and you can jay. Rabbi Helma says, not done in Toronto, mothers of community. As far as I know, I didn't see the question. Oh the men, I didn't see it. Oh you are the men in the audience. Yes, they're men in the audience. They're men in the audience. Listen, I was in the audience. My son is performing. The son, my son who wakes up every morning to do mischnayas before dobvining. He also is a performer and he plays the guitar and sings. So but everyone was there, including the principal of the school. I mean, that's you don't know who's singing to you go there by the way, you don't know if it's boys or but everyone. But but all the plays they always have girls singing joint. In my kids school, they always have two. You can't have solos. But uh, the Zemer Festival Hasidi sponsored room is Rachi and nine side women singing solo. Chief Rabbis Veriti Strol used to sit when women in the soldiers women would sing. They sat now listen. I'm sure in their mind they were learning tower and things like that, but they didn't get up. We have pictures of them sitting there when they would sing. Because you have a song, let's say about the how a song about Israel or about the Holocaust or something. So again, I'm not it's not for me to be halaha. I'm just pointing out for the person who asked me like this far a question at the modern Athodox girls, and I'm saying, what kind of question is that the mono Othosk girls have girls singing in groups there from performing it's not uh uh racing at twisky funeral. Singing aloud in a cemetery seems problematic. Uh why would it be problematic to singing a cemetery. It's problematic to say to Hillem in a cemetery of cord the rambam because you're not allowed to learn towra it's liligo rush. But do we rinald the dolphin the cemetery if you read the raalm bum carefully. But we don't hold by that, so we will be the problem with singing in the cemetery. You're not having a concert in the cemetery. You're not doing anything like that. Yakoviellen says, if he recalls correctly, Refuserski quotes the section of his book or aboudo Poscia. Yes, he not only quotes that, he goes into great detail because this is a famous uh issue between the Rambam and the Riva. Where about godoling Vatovini menu? In fact, I don't think there's any question. Gadolin Veatovian menu means greater than a rambum, but says, what does he mean Adolin Vetovin menu? He means there were goodoling Vitoving not greater than than him, the rum bamb Goadoli Vetovian menu greater than us. That is, there are people greater than us who thought out of a physical form. There are Sah didn't want to read it as if there because the Rivas insulting the Ramam. When he says that Goadoli vetovinan menu, it's hard to this comes. I think it's a verse. In it's a verse in tanach god Vetovi Manu. So until the case, until the I don't know if anyone had that interpretation that it means godovetovi among us. I think it's clear. The ra, the riva, jabs, the rambam a few places like that. Someone privately texts me that I may recall vadios its chivy chabas and mirosl urbane We're present was published in Amayan. But I mean we spoke about the the chuva the and I dealt with it, and the quest is on uh ravadio safe. I didn't even remember. I'm gonna mark that down.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think he says, there, close your eyes, don't make a little sham, don't stand up, uh uh and leave, et cetera. Wait me, the rabbi is not happy. The chief rabbis are not happy to have the girls get up and uh. But the the other only option is to get up and walk out, and they thought that that would create ill will, so they would close their eyes do things like that. Listen what I just showed you from the girls of my note. It's not really rock of Weinberg Briolac of Weinberg's head. There is explicit two things. That's two parts. Part number one it has to be Trey Cully two songs sing together, which I guess you have. And the other is it has to be holy songs, and that's clearly singing fun or the other music that's that's not holy songs. So you can't cite the stretch for this. So you have emotion emotional Liechtenstein that it's not gonna be aroused. I don't know who says it's, uh, maybe it will be I. I it's if I was running to school. I don't think I would do that, but whatever you gotta. You gotta give the kids some outwits. And can you have a battle of the bands and say girls are not allowed to perform? It would be hard with these crowds, So I don't know. David says I proposed the question if Swiffkin should be considered a heretic. See his latest blog post announcing publication of his book Rationalism Versus Mysticism, his most controversial, most controversial work. I don't think it's his most controversial work. Sosas the sheer Cooma. Yes, sher Coma is a text, but what is sher coma? The ra mom thought this was some heretical work by these Byzantine types. Sheer Coma portrays God in gigantic size that to be taken literally, it's it's not clear the rabbi, yes, Riverial Zimmer, that's the rabbi he wrote to and David gave the link. Anyone could watch there to the delivered escorted to the grave with the thegooning he composed in terms of getting back to Borrows question, is the appropriate? The only thing I know that would be inappropriate. This is actually stated by Ruffi Causill j Huda Greenwald. I know we have one person from Columbus who listens to the classes. He was a row for many years in Columbus. He wrote the book Cobo Alvebloswitch for many years was the standard work. He attacks the modern Orthodox rabbis. I don't know what the definition of a modern North shrabbi was in his day. He died. I think in forty five he speaks to them that when they would carry the coffin, the rabbi would stand and stand in front of the coffin, walk in front of it and reciting to Hilim. He says that comes from the volume. I'm thinking, though I've been to funerals, do we ever have funerals where our rabbis walk in front of the coffin reading to Hilim or something. I think we do, but Rabbi Greenwald, maybe we don't. I can't remember now. But Rabbi Greenwald says that that's an example of taking a non Jewish practice hookahs a volume walking in front of the coffin. Yes, I could send you by I can send you the link if you want about Remayer Salavacik. You want me to share the U R L or the Maya O clip, I'll share it to you.
Speaker 3: Know.
Speaker 2: Let me just let me just show you something.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We're having some doubts. I was here. Hold on a second, we close up. I think here, here you go. It's all one group, one room. By the way, this is the first here. Okay, you can see a man or two there. Take my word for it. They're all The room is full of men because it's the same they went uh right before the boys. They're all uh, they're all together. It's all uh. It's all one group. In fact, if I can, that's the Messifica of Waterbury. If I pull it up here, I can show you quickly the JC it's it's a boys and girls group mix. But okay, whatever, I don't need to. It's a it's a co ed group, co ed audience. All the parents are there actually, since so we have just one more minute here, I will uh, you don't mind holding on one more minute because not that Baro doubts me. But I'm going to show you something right now, my friend. I'm going to show you. Hold on a second, my alma mater. Here you go. I believe I have it here. Hold on a second. Oops, okay, I'll show you next class, the the the BREWA one. I don't know why I I can't see it now, but I don't wanna. I don't want to waste your time on on that. But take my word for it. You don't need to take my word for it to show it to you. Hold on a second. Maybe I got it here. I'm looking quickly at the.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing all the bands. I don't see the JC band here. But okay, let's get back to the questions. Let's finish up. Well. The reason the girls sang in the front is because when the girls it was like a battle of the sexist sort of thing. So when the girls sang, all the girls went to the front. When the boys sang, all the boys went to the front to cheer on. That's the that's how it worked. No, no boys left when the right wing ones. You know what, maybe Messifita of Waterberry, they might have left when the girls sang, I don't know. I can tell you you're trying to find the host for the Mono Orthodox. I get it. I get it. Very nice. The was these and these are the words of the living God. And I'm sure that some members of a se okay hard to believe with the rise of from kind of monoon circles and none of this have changed in these themes. Okay, that's an interesting point, and I'll end with this is the last thing. The schools are much more liberal than the Shoals if you look at modern Orthodox high schools, because they pull in from a wide, much wider range, and in fact, you have many people who are not really Schomer Schambas in some of these schools. The schools are and have always been more liberal than the Shoals. The Shools would never have anything like this. In fact, the rabbis, when the rabbis of the when the rabbis come to events at the schools, and when the teachers are at the events. And let's say you have a play and then you have the girls singing two girls, the rabbis get up and the rebbies get up, and they walk out, and it's demonstrable when they get up, you see them uh. And you never would have this at the shoals, but you have it at the schools. And and these are all the schools. And Missift of Woodbury allows their students. Maybe they tell their students when the girls sing to leave, but their students participate in uh, in this battle of the bands.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's this quasi gadi uh sort of place. But it's an interesting and land with this bar it's it's an interesting point. There is a real distinction between the camps, the schools and the shoals. The shoals are much more traditional and and are moving much more traditional that things that will never be allowed at the shoals are allowed in schools. Then yes, I'm sure the rebbies tell their tell their students that they should leave. And I'm sure my son comes back, he's gonna be he's gonna be very angry that how we ever, you know what, just I will just show you one more thing and then we'll end with this because he listens to to some of these just so shep a, Uh, show you something here so you can see the this is the guy my son. I'll show you who now is learning Uh all day all night. And uh, I asked, I'm telling you he had COVID but I so I told him that he has to go get his uh, try to find a place where they'll give him a vaccine because at the end of the day, if they have extra as an Israel, they'll give it to him. And uh, he says, no, it's Dean of the Mahusse. He can't go because the government says you can't. I said, it's not. At the end of the day, they'll give it to you. He goes, no, No, it's den in the Mahusea Dina. I can't. So this is this is the the Kushner and uh, my son is the guitar player. So they're not gonna win any Grammys or anything. But uh, listen, at the modern schools, you got to give them these sort of outlets. They're not they uh, and most of the kids turn out very very nicely and everything. You got them play their music, do their things. And my son's a bigazan. You should hear his mussaf and okay, well, and Dina Mahussel trumps cook fish. That's what I said to my son. I said, they're gonna throw it out.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, Israel has a pony of vaccines. And he said no, he says, it's dinner, Mahusa, Dina. I have to wait until the government says uh.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think as you get older, dinner Mahusse, become a little more cynical on this because you realize that the government rules are not necessary. I remember we asked were seeing this because when I was in Israel, you had these rules. You weren't allowed to change money. You know, people would go according to legally you weren't allowed to. You can only do them in the bank, so people go to Allenby Street and other places. This sidium would change it. But we were mock pid on it. At BMT, we're very MAMACHTI we're very mock pid. And I remember me and my friend Jeff k where like Dina the Mahusadina, it's it's us, sir. This guy from Revron Crevron was right near be empty. He came over to change money, and my friends started screaming at him. Get out. He's violin dinna masina. But then we asked. Reine said, you know, the government's not mock ped on the small amounts, so he doesn't think it's a problem, you know, changing small amounts. But I get it because I see my son with the dinner machusdina. I also had it as well. Okay everyone, thank you all, and uh actually died a BArch. I don't get this. I get more than achas on the kreasata and on the and on the the mussaf. But okay, it's okay to play the guitar. Also, he leads the cums that says he does all this stuff. There's there's worse things to do for high schoolers. Believe me, very preper.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the electure on zoom please is it toren Motion? Do please rate and review us in your favorite podcast apt or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen