Speaker 1: And good morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome to community connection here on K one AM fourteen ninety three point three and ninety five point one, also streaming on K one tv dot com and on Facebook Live this morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: We do have a couple of great guests this morning, have Pam Crawford and Tricia Richards, both from the Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Good morning, ladies, Good morning morning.
Speaker 1: How are we doing this morning.
Speaker 4: It's a great day day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, I'm telling you, yes.
Speaker 3: I've rolled the windows down to the car and oh my word, it was almost cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's been.
Speaker 1: It's been very very fun.
Speaker 2: Here over the past couple of days with these you know, kind of like September like temperatures.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, nice in August, right, we'll take exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, the Girl Scouts, of course, are always doing something here in the community, and we've.
Speaker 1: Got a really cool thing coming up.
Speaker 2: We were just talking off air that this has been kind of like monshy Monday around here in the K one studios.
Speaker 1: Moon Pies, Healthy Snacks.
Speaker 3: And now Girl Scout cooking, Girl Scout Cookie and Beer.
Speaker 1: I love it. Girl Scout Cookies and Beer. Now, what in the world is going on?
Speaker 3: Well, this is our adult fundraiser for the year. You know, you're used to seeing the girls out in the fall with Fall product or definitely in the February March with the Girl Scout cookies, but this is the one where we ask the adults to come in and try to help us out. And so this is Cookies on Tap and we'll be at Cooper and Mill this Thursday from four thirty to six thirty. And I'm sure Chris is going to have an interesting set of pairings of cookies and beer. Last year, I remember we had a lemon cookie with kind of a blueberry flavored beer and all of us were kind of like, going, really it actually was very very good. So we're excited to hear what we've got this year. We haven't seen the list yet, so we'll be sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a surprised for all of it.
Speaker 2: And of course you're talking about Chris Tathey, the owner of Cooper and Mills.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's a really cool thing. So again this is an adult staying. We're not going to see you know, participants in the Girl Scouts.
Speaker 3: There, that's correct, that's right.
Speaker 2: You know, they'll have to wait a few years. But anyway, so what even spurred this idea to do a beer pairing with cookies Girl Scout cookies for that matter.
Speaker 3: Well, if you've been around Bartlesville, you know our Girl Scout event for the adults has evolved. We did Pearls and Pinot over ten years ago. We've had tea parties, we've had what we call Pearls on the Prairie, and it was a barbecue most of the time out at timber Oaks west of town. But a couple of years ago we decided it was time to change it up, and so we went with this idea of cookies on tap. And you know, this is the third year we've done it, although it's only the second year we've had the name. And it's kind of fun. People come in right after work. It's kind of like happy hour after work, so lots of folks that work downtown. Please come buy at four thirty. You can buy a ticket at the door, you don't have to buy it in advance, and try the beers. There'll be a cash bar. There's nothing that stops you from buying another beer or libation that they have at Cooper and Mill. And we'll have some nibbles. The people in the Girl Scout office out of Tulsa.
Speaker 6: Are actually creating a large cartoonery board for us at sort so we're looking forward to that to have some nibbles to go in addition to cookies of course.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and it's taken off. It's kind of neat to see a little bit different crowd we get at four thirty on a weekday after Saturday night at six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna have a great band there as well, with music starting at four thirty two, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we're pleased to have an Jeanette or AJ and the Evolution back again. They've played for us several times and we like having them. It kind of adds to the ambience of the room to have the live music in there. They're very good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're awesome.
Speaker 2: I've known Anginette for years, her husband Jay and really the entire Elmore family that's you know, hey.
Speaker 1: We're all Barshams, you know. Yes, that's the way it works, and they do a great job. Excuse me now, you also have again tickets are how much your ticket sectually get in.
Speaker 5: Fifty and also available at the door, right, yes, And we would still love sponsorships. If we have quite a few sponsors going already with between Phillips.
Speaker 4: Our Vest, Jim Moore State Farm.
Speaker 5: Obviously we are Barswell Area United Way agents, but if someone would love to sponsor our event, we would be glad to talk to them about that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you're going to have a raffle going on right during the event as well, so talk a little bit about the raffle. How much tickets are and what are.
Speaker 1: We going to be given away.
Speaker 3: So tickets are twenty dollars apiece or six for twenty and you'll put them in a jar and we'll get got like ten fifteen different items. We have a Root sixty six basket that features Meadow Gold mac and that came out that came out of Tulsa. We've got kind of a techy basket of all those things you need for your computer and your iPod and your streaming and all those different things. We've got a basket of books and goodies. The Armchair Traveler is what we've named it. And if you've got a dog, we have a basket really aimed at the dogs. So now the dogs are not invited to the event. Although actually Cooper mill is Dog our dog friendly. I'm probably not bringing my dogs so they would be a little hard to control. And we've also got a couple of Oshue tickets. It'll be football tickets. It'll be in the rounde too.
Speaker 1: Go folks, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: That just sounds like an incredible vent And who would have thought we could get creative with pairing something as delicious as Girl Scout cookies and peer that pair that with a beer.
Speaker 5: We're yeah, really surprised last year at some of the flavors that the beer brought out in the cookies and vice versa so.
Speaker 3: Well, and they took some feedback from us that we thought we had a few too many darker beers last year, and so we've been told it's going to be a little bit more of a variety this year. But it is kind of interesting to see what the taste will do. And well, of course I've seen things they'll they'll try during Girl Scout Cookie season to pair it up with your favorite wine or whatever, so you know, food and drink they compliment each other. So but of course we're not don't We only have the Girl Scout cookies that are going with the beer. And whatever. It's not Girl Scout Cookie time yet, it's still summer. But the girl programs and what they do with the Girl Scout cookies, that the financial literacy, the marketing literacy is just huge in what we do there. But there's a lot more to Girl Scouts than just the cookies.
Speaker 1: That absolutely true.
Speaker 2: You know, Girl Scouts have been around this area for years decades. Yes, so, and they are again a service organization that teaches these young ladies how to be better community servants.
Speaker 3: I believe well, and I know I've said on the radio what I've been here before is that, you know, if it hadn't been for Girl Scouts, I'm not sure I would have achieved all the things that I've achieved because it did create that confidence to do leadership type and service type activity.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's a great thing.
Speaker 2: And when was when was the first Girl Scout troop here in Bartlesville?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was in nineteen fourteen, in one year, one eleven years. Math is hard on Monday, UNCHI yes, right.
Speaker 1: I'm having a moonpie hangover, That's what that is.
Speaker 2: But you know, it really does build those girls of you know, courage, confidence, character and you know nineteen fourteen, and you know Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma. That's that's where this particular chapter here. So we're all the other chapters.
Speaker 1: That are part of the Eastern Oklahoma organization.
Speaker 5: So it covers all thirty county counties in Eastern Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: Our event really supports this local region.
Speaker 5: So we're looking at Bartlesville, Nowada, Ocelia, Ramona, and Pahasca and so that is our section. We call ourselves the Cross Timbers Service Unit. So you have troops service units, regions.
Speaker 4: And then of course the national level.
Speaker 5: So there are two organizations within Oklahoma, Western and Eastern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's great, that's great.
Speaker 2: And you know, I remember as a kid growing up, we used to have my church youth group. We used to have retreats out at camp watch a sheet and I know that has to still be kicking around, right.
Speaker 4: It sure is. Yeah, it's really the gym of our area.
Speaker 5: It is not the only camp in our region, but it is the camp that we support here in this area and use for day camp. Actually, we have used the camp for years, sometimes for residents camp, but the last few years they have restarted day camp during the summer, so day camp is an opportunity for our girls who may be not ready to spend the night away from home several nights in a row, but really want to experience what camp is all about.
Speaker 4: So we have kayaking, there's a lake.
Speaker 5: There is a pool there as well, so they do work on their swimming skills. We have an archery range and this year they're working on adding actually acts throwing and so that will be available next year.
Speaker 4: So lots of hiking trails.
Speaker 5: Available to really explore the camp and nature and and spend some time, you know, community building within themselves, learning those outdoor skills, fire building and safety within the outdoors as well. So we've really been excited to see that a day camp program grow in this area.
Speaker 4: The last few years it's maxed out.
Speaker 5: We could have only taken more girls if we had more volunteers, which is a great problem to.
Speaker 3: Have, right And this fundraiser and it's different incantation forms over the years, has been active in supporting what goes on out at Camp ten. Twelve years ago, it was this fundraiser that helped put the new pool in fifty year old pool needed replacement and so we did that. We helped with the observatory that's out there a couple of years ago. And so when the adults come together and raise uns, this helps underwrite camp. It helps provide financial assistance to girls getting started in Scouts, and so this fundraiser is important because this is our way of helping those girls get started in this and and build their confidence. Uh. You know there the Girl Scouts at the national level have have found that, you know, it provides a sense of self. Eighty six percent of the girls that go through the program have this sense of being more confident and full of leadership skills. And that's a that's quite an accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it is, absolutely, and it's it's a it's a beautiful piece of land as well. Now I haven't been out there in several years obviously because I'm old now, but.
Speaker 1: There is the lodge still there, correct, Okay, And.
Speaker 2: So I remember, I remember the lodge and it's over in the oz Shills and you can actually see wool of rock.
Speaker 4: Yes, our property backs up to wool I.
Speaker 2: Could actually see wooll of rock out there, I remember, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: If I'm sure trees have grown since.
Speaker 2: And but you could see the dome on the museum, believe it or not from from that.
Speaker 1: Area that.
Speaker 5: Either, we'll have to look for that.
Speaker 3: I just learned something. Yeah, can I.
Speaker 1: Remember it distinctly?
Speaker 2: I think we were actually out there, uh one of the last times. It was right around when okay, Moztart was doing their finale and we could actually see the fireworks.
Speaker 3: Not that I bet you could.
Speaker 4: That would be a neat view, right it was.
Speaker 1: It was. Now is the Ropes course to author? Is it gone?
Speaker 4: It is not?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 4: It is that is part of the area that is being used now for the axe throwing.
Speaker 2: Good, you're good, well, you know I that Ropes course was certainly challenging for me, and so the axe thrawing it's better to harm me.
Speaker 3: You You just hit on something though, is that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: You said the Ropes course was challenging, And that's a little bit of what we're trying to do. The girls get a challenge while they're a camp or through Girl Scouts, and we're able to get all of those girls to take the risk. You know, they have friends that support them and say, hey, you can do it. We're here for you. And we all need people like that in our lives.
Speaker 1: We do we certainly do.
Speaker 2: And another thing that we need in our lives is of course cookies on tap, cookies and beer together. Again, run down when it's going to be, where it's going to be, and how to get involved.
Speaker 3: Okay again This Thursday, August seventh, four thirty six, four thirty six, thirty fifty dollars for a ticket. They can buy it at the door, or they can get on the the g seok dot org website and buy them in advance. We'll have raffles tickets available, We'll have some music, we'll have munchies, and we'll see what kind of pairings we think girls goot cookies go with the beer. Wonderful beer at Cooper and Mill.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a great event, and again it's a it's a great program. Girls Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma just doing a great time, a great job, especially heuring the cross Timbers area. You see them out all over the place, so well, you know, get out there, go do cookies on tap this Thursday at Cooper and Mill. Pam Crawford, Trisha Richards, thank you so much for coming in and talking about not only this fundraiser, but what the fundraiser actually does for the girls in our community. We surely appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, we appreciate you all letting them speak here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Thanks any time.
Speaker 1: You are more than welcome to come in here anytime. Bring cookies with you.
Speaker 4: We'll do all right.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to community Connection right here on K one KYFM. Sorry K one fourteen hundred FM, ninety three point three and ninety five point one.
Speaker 1: I think I need another moon pie. Thank you so much