Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time Tuesday afternoon, twelve minutes past the hour, two o'clock hot day outside it is, well, you know, it's June, it's late June, it's summer, so what can you do? And it feels like it outside. We are looking at about eighty eight degrees in sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. And as it is every single day, it's good to have you along for the ride. Spence Check, It's beyond to Mike Porto Larson behind the glass producing the show today, we are unexpectedly very very busy with some local stories, national stories as well. It is a historic day potentially for BYU football. We'll tell you why as the announcement came down earlier today on the Pat McAfee Show. Pat McAfee likes himself some BYU. BYU likes themselves some Pat McAfee several different parallels and conclusions to draw between that relationship. But Rider Lions, one of the best quarterbacks in his class coming up for twenty twenty six, has chosen BYU to play his college football at He chose BYU over Oregon. Those were his final two schools, but he also was offered, well, pretty much offered by everybody when you're looking at a kid that is this highly thought of. BYU has not had a five star recruit since two thousand and three. Their best recruiting class, according to the information I was reading earlier, was twenty ten when they were a top thirty class. And it's not just right. They've got a really good tight end from Saint George. They've got a good offensive tackle as well. My guess is they're going to finish probably in this top twenty, top twenty five. We'll have to see what this does. So we do have some local storylines to get to with the college football recruiting stuff on the program today. Happy Tuesday to you. Hope you're having a great work week, and we'll get to all the fallout and take away from Ryder Lions, this young man from California who will serve an LDS mission, and then we'll be available potentially for twenty twenty seven. So we'll get into this, and we are efforting some BYU guests to shed a little light on them. And you know, ultimately six years ago, old producer of the program, our old buddy Brady Brady Clark, who unfortunately was a COVID casualty. He's not dead. We just had to let him go, want to be very clear, just to be just to Brady's alive and well he's married with a child and he's moved on to do other things. But he sent out a tweet and tagged me in it that sounded like I said, he died like COVID casualty. But now he's not dead, he's alive. That six years ago when we first started talking about NIL and the ability uh for these young people to make money while they play football or other sports and institutions could be a massive windfall for bringing young and as we fast forward six years later, here we are now. One of the things that bothers me about our business these days is you've got a bunch of talking heads that throw darts at dart boards and only focus on the one thing they get right, and they ignore the forty things that they got completely wrong. So I'm not bragging, but ultimately it's become pretty clear that they're in a spot down there to capitalize on the current landscape of collegian and athletics to add to their football and basketball programs and certainly other programs as well. So it is a big day for BYU football and it is a shot across the bow to the University of Utah. Another one. Quite frankly, Utah continues to piece together their twenty twenty six recruiting class. So we'll get into some of these storylines on the program today. We have another trade to talk about in the NBA. We have a couple of trades to talk about in the NBA. Actually, as CJ. McCollum is headed to Washington, I'm sure he's super excited about that. Then we'll get into the Drew Holliday to the Portland Trailblazers, mainly as we're doing Sports Soccer radio in Salt Lake City. The Utah Jazz are not involved in any of these transactions. For all the conversation about you know, Brian Winhors going on Sports Center and saying that he's told the Jazz are going to try to expedite this process. So far, as we sit here on the eve of Draft Day, and we'll get to some draft today as well, the Jazz of stad pat NBA Draft tomorrow sorrow. Excited for this. I'll be anchoring our coverage. Gordy Chiasa Richard Smith, two men that have been in hundreds of war rooms decision rooms on draftnight will help us kind of understand the landscape what we'll be dealing with tomorrow. Sham Schararni is reporting the San Antonio Spurs have settled on Dylan Harper after some potential maybe options to move off the pick or maybe take some other players. Feels like the intrigue starts at four. That's my best guess because most of the reports are VJ edgecom is going to head to Philly at three, So we'll get into it on the program today, get you ready for the draft. We're also a couple of days away from the NHL Draft to hopped on a zoom call this morning four the Utah Mammoth. Bill Armstrong addressed the group, talked about their plans for four. The NHL Draft will come down coming up on Friday of this week, so a lot to do. Aaron Rodgers whatever, He's announced that this is probably it. Fine, good riddance, So a little NFL offseason, a lot to do. On the program today, good guest lists. We'll start things off NBA Daily Assist style with Zach Harper. We'll get Zach's take on Durant to the Rockets, on CJ to Washington, on Drew Holliday to Portland, the NBA Draft tomorrow. Of course, Oklahoma City they are championship parade today featured Alex Caruso shirtless with a couple of michelob ultras. Chet Holgren tried to address the group but clearly was wasted. Suret's optional for the Oklahoma City Thunder today and their parade, So we'll get with Zach. We'll do mostly jazz with Tim McMahon today, jazz offseason NBA Draft. Timmy will stop buy as well as he does every Tuesday, efforting potentially Blaine Fowler, maybe some other BYU guests for our three thirty slot that's open right now to talk about this day that could be historic for Brigham Young. And then Bill Riley voiced the youth's good day. To have Bill on, We'll talk about, you know, kind of what this signals for what the University of Utah needs to kind of step up and do to keep up with their Brotherren forty miles south. As the crow flies from our studio Dave Fox Live in Studio four thirty, I'll be on TV with Dave tonight ten thirty five, Cam Yu, We're gonna preview the NFL draft, excuse me, the NBA Draft, and I imagine we'll pop around and talk about a bunch of different things because it's an unexpected busy Tuesday afternoon. Zach Harper, Tim McMahon, Bill Riley, Dave Fox. Maybe some other guests were a little fluid on this Tuesday. All of you the great listeners, thank you for making us a part of your day. Me Spence check Its And that guy Porter Larson not a COVID casualty, but wearing sunglasses indoors. Hello, Porter, how are you? Do I need to drop the Larry David Lyne on you again? Yes, there are two types of people to wear sunglasses indoors, blind people in a holes and people sensitive to light. Well, that would fall under the first category. It's far enough blind though, but sensitive to site.
Speaker 2: I probably should use the the eye I Doctor version of our our insurance over here.
Speaker 1: Do we have that? I think so? You might want to check Dad, I do. I do think we do. I do, but I'd notice it.
Speaker 2: I know I'm only thirty, but I've noticed some good older with the eyes It's not like I had blind or not.
Speaker 1: I can't see anything.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you know, just reading the strain on you, it's it's getting there.
Speaker 1: Let's getting that time, so you do what you gotta do. I'm not judging just about prescription yet, just every time I see somebody wearing sunglasses and doors, it just reminds me of the Larry David line. Is this fair?
Speaker 3: Fair?
Speaker 1: All right? A lot to do. Our first guest the Knickxer interviewing Mike Andry Who that's hilarious? Who's Mike and Norrid He's the assistant coach from Minnesota that took over on Chris Finch like towards ACL. It's just that's wild, all right. Our first guest today will be Zach Harper. But before we get to Zach, courtesy of our good friends and you're good friends too at Prize Picks, it is Todd now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one Sports Talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with prize picks.
Speaker 1: Big news for the YU Cougars Today, BYU is security as highest ranked quarterback since two thousand and two. Rider Lions on the Pad McAfee show announced that he is headed to Provo. He chose BYU over Oregon and some other schools, but the final two were BYU and Oregon Riders sixty three two five Fulsoon California. He is ESPN's number five pocket passer in the twenty twenty six class and enter today as the nation's top ranked uncommitted quarterback. So he will be part of the twenty twenty six class later this year, but he will serve a mission after graduation and will not formally join BYU until the spring of twenty twenty seven. That seems to indicate he's going to serve one of these fourteen month missions. I don't really know exactly how that works. That when I was growing up, it was two years period. Maybe that's changed for athletes. I honestly have no clue, But I'm not going to be one of these guys that tells you I've been grinding tape on Rider. But I've learned a lot about him since the rumor started a surface that he could potentially land at BYU, so a bunch of visits It's this spring included stops at Michigan, Ohio State, Old Miss and then his finalists were BYU, Oregon, and USC, and then his brother actually plays at USC. He elected to not take his visit to USC, went up to Eugene, spent some time at Oregon, then came down a provo and visited BYU, and then today announcing that he will play his college football for Klonie Satake and Brigham Young starting in twenty twenty seven. So BYU has a recruiting class that's shaping up to potentially be a top twenty class from what I looked up earlier today. And of course there are different services that do this, whether it's ESPN or two four seven, This on three, this New on three website social media platform also is doing this. BYU's best class from what I saw was twenty ten and it was the thirtieth rand class in the country. This is shaping up to far surpass that maybe even be top twenty or higher. Ben Olsen was the highest ranked quarterback back in two thousand and two. That did not work out well. And of course we should pause to say for people that are anointing this kid or you know, youte fans that are worried highly ranked recruits, even recruits as highly ranked as this typically you know, are a dime a dozen. It really comes down to how they develop, how they settle in. I mean, Riter's got a mission in front of him. There's a lot that has to happen between now and then for him to be ready. Of course, there's always the narrative about, you know, when you take a mission for a year or two, fourteen months or twenty four, you enter the kind of prime of your life in college in a way that eighteen nineteen year old kids don't. And that's a debate that has been highly debated for a number of different years. But what is very very clear is the pedigree that this kid has is really, really special. He was the twenty twenty four California Gatorade Football Player of the Year, and he can do a little bit of everything. He's a dual threat kid. He completed about sixty eight percent of his passes over thirty five your yards, thirty eight passing touchdowns, eight picks. First year as a starter in twenty twenty three. His sophomore stats were actually better than his junior stats the next year, over three thousand yards forty six touchdowns through the air. He also can run the football. He's combined for over fifteen hundred rushing yards thirty seven rushing scores across two seasons as a starter. So look in a vacuum this appears to be a big time get for Kilanie front of the show. Maybe we'll try to get Kilanie and a Rod out to talk about this. Brock Harris is an in state tied end from Saint George, number thirty two recruit in the country. They've got a defensive tackle who was an Oregon flip, and a couple of other kids in this class at this point that again indicate BYU could lock in the top twenty football class for their twenty twenty six recruits. Now this is a that's the vacuum net net from today. Okay, the Macro thirty thousand foot view net net is what we've been talking about on this show. As I referenced as we kind of came into the show today, I don't want to ever be the radio host or sports media personality that takes victory laps for things that I got correct, because I get a lot of things wrong. And everyone in our business seems to just throw darts against the dart board and then they focus on the one that lands on the bulls eye and they just simply ignore the rest that don't even hit the board. But this has become very very clear for quite some time now, and it wasn't hard to see what BYU would be able to do once they were allowed to unlock their sizable resources. The LDS Church and the culture of the LDS Church, it's members. They understand the power of the purse, and they understand the power of tremendous resources when it comes to being able to capitalize on opportunities that are put in front of them. That's a dynamic of the religion, even though some people in the religion want to ignore it, because certain members of this culture don't like to acknowledge very uncomfortable truths. And when something like this happens, I just laugh when I hear these BYU goobs that call themselves media members to try to get in front of like, no, this is not about nil, this is not about money, This is about the BYU experience. This is about develop shut up, Like take your victory, lap Okay, Like just acknowledge what it is and don't tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. Okay. This is about It can be about a number of different things, and certain you know, folk that are involved in that culture don't necessarily have the ability to hold a couple of thoughts in their head at the same time. This is about a football program under Kolonie Satake that has really grown over the past few years. With Jay Hill's defensive coordinator, our guy A Rod is the offensive coordinator. They go eleven to two and big twelve play last year and they have an excellent season and they have a great bowl win over Colorado in the Alamo Bowl. It was a really good year for Kilanie and that helps. Okay, It's also about the deep pocketed donors that provide the big nil checks that motivate these players to come play here, because that's part of the reality now. And there's nothing wrong with saying that out loud. When you cry about it and you deny and you deflect, you look like the moron. Okay, I'll say what I've said. Take your victory, lab man. This is a big deal. This is like the aj Debanza equivalent for the football program, something like it. And when reputable college basketball media members, namely Jeff Goodman, come out with the knowledge that you're paying AJ debatsa seven million dollars for five months of basketball, or the reports including Scott Drew himself given an interview that you know, Baylor basketball thought they had locked in their future point guard least for this year for a couple million bucks, and he renigs on the deal to take over three and a half million dollars from BYU to play for them. Stop denying it, Stop lying about it. It's actually worse than denying. You are liars. You are lying. Okay, I have not seen an nil number for Rider, but guess what it will come out. And it's fine because that's the name of the game. The game has changed, and it's been changed now for a couple of years. And the fact of the matter is the changing of the rules and the changing of the ecosystem is only positive for a place like BYU with tremendous resources and a tremendous amount of powerful donors and boosters and alumni that care about BYU athletics, that are clearly willing to open up their pockets and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know why whenever announcements like this come down from BYU, when we hear a big time recruit has signed to play for them, the propaganda machine, the quote unquote media members that actually work for the school. I don't know if they get phone calls from the higher ups to be like, hey, we have to start lying about the money stuff. We have to deflect and pretend like we're actually not competing with NIL. I don't know if they receive messaging that they're supposed to further from their platform, but it's so beyond pathetic and lame, and again it's worse than denying. You are to people because this ecosystem and landscape is benefiting you, lean into it, lean into it and actually be authentic and don't be liars. Okay, So when the NIL figure comes out, it simply will be on par I'm not saying more or less because I know people get in their feel goods about this. It will simply be on par with what an Oregon could have paid or a USC could have paid. Because I can promise you if Oregon or USC doubled BYU's NIL number. Writer Lions would be in Eugene or southern California, not in provo. Let's be adults and grown ups about this. Okay, So last thing here, University of Utah had an innate advantage over Brigham Young University when it came to athletics for a decade. And it's very simple, and we can be very reductive and say Utah had a P five invite and they had P five access as members of the PAC twelve, and BYU is independent, and throughout the course of that dynamic, Utah football specifically elevated themselves pass Bergham Young. There's the head to head, there's the overall record. It was essentially a generation of Utah football dominance. Okay, and it was because of a few different things, but the main advantage is Utah football had a PAC twelve invite. BYU football was wandering in the wilderness, we'll speak your language a little bit, as an independent with nobility to play for a conference championship, no innate scheduling abilities. So we saw like UMass in town and all these horrible programs, or once BYU lost one game, their season was essentially over. Right when BYU two tiered thing here, before we catch a break. When BYU received Big twelve access, you combine that with the changing landscape of collegiate athletics that allows powerful boosters to get involved with the power of the pocket and the power of the purse. Those two things have catapulted both BYU football and BYU basketball to a level that if you're a Utah fan, you should be worried, you should be concerned if you measure your programs employ against BYU. Right now, the shoes on the other foot, and this is another shot across the bow. Rider Lyons committing to BYU today is another shot across the bow up here in Salt Lake to the University of Utah to get their act together and get your things in order. So, if you're a youthe fan and you have the great fortune of owning a business that's done well, or if you have deep pockets or a few commas in your bank account, if you haven't contacted Mark Harlin and the Athletic Department to see how you can get involved with the Crimson Collective or whatever they're calling to these days, it's probably time to act if you want to keep up, because this is a situation where forty miles south of here. They're building juggernauts on the football field and the basketball court, and we'll see if Utah football and Utah basketball and Utah Athletics and the institution overall can keep up. You know, I'm starting to change my opinion on this, So you know, I've told you in the past I have this weird thing. And Zach will appreciate this because you have some podcast called Tennefolk. My friends have always been fascinated when I latching onto like clearly horrible movies, because it's really interesting to me to watch something that's so bad and wonder how was actually made. Yeah, of course, I'm starting to feel that way about pit Bull and the bit we do is act. It's so bad, like it's there's nothing good about it, but it's so bad. I'm starting to kind of be fascinated with it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I'm fascinated how it is worldwide renowned, how it's real, period and yeah real, okay.
Speaker 1: Zach Harper, Tuesday afternoon, Hey buddy, how are we doing?
Speaker 3: Porn starts coming in and you don't get excited? Are you kidding me? No?
Speaker 1: I just explained, I explain that I'm starting to because it's like Pitbull to me is the dirty deeds of musicians. I'm starting to become fascinated with it.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean he is mister worldwide. You point anywhere on a map, He's been there.
Speaker 1: How is how is Cinophobe? These days? It's been a minute since I've tapped in. How are we doing?
Speaker 3: It's great? I can't remember. Let me see what we've got coming up this week. We just had a good run of real I mean some real bad movies. We did like Stigmata, like, we did some we did some real weird stuff. Oh, I believe we've got a van damn movie coming up this week, not Where to Run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a brilliant idea for a podcast because truly, for years and years and years I would have roommates and the friends are like, why are you watching this? I'm like, cause it's fascinating. It's amazing to me, like how stuff like this actually gets made. So as a fan of really awful movies, like horribly good movies, it's really such a great idea. You guys came up with.
Speaker 3: Thank you, And I think what I love about it is because I'm with you, Because forever I would just watch horrible movies and just giggle to myself. So I'm like, you think about it, You're like, that's the best take they got for this. So then I start wondering what else happened in the shooting of this movie, And then for us, we do a little research and we get to joke about it, and then forever, you know, Amin al Hassan and I were just texting each other about bad movies we were watching, and then it probably took us way too long to figure out we should be doing a podcast about this, and thankfully, thankfully, people seem to like it all.
Speaker 1: Right, a lot to do. Zackson tun and I last spoke, I won't bear the lead because we have an NBA champ, a very deserving NBA champ. Oklahoma City was historical all year long with a great regular season. Took them seven games to get by the Pacers, but they did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: My two part question is what does this championship say about where they are now and also where they could be for a number of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean where they are now is I think you heard Sam Presti say it was like ahead of schedule, yep, right, he didn't expect them to be this good, this quick, and I think it's a testament to just the entire organization of how they run things, how they develop, how they go about it. It's almost too robotic. Like it almost seemed like they weren't enjoying winning the championship at times. But you know, people process things differently. It may not have hit them yet, but yeah, there was part of me that thought, did they think that there's still more games to happen? Because it seemed a little odd, you know, it felt like I kept waiting for it. You know, like if you're if you're at a you're at a restaurant and you have a salad and they're like, would you like some black pepper on there? You know, would you like and you're like, yeah, just you know, keep going, keep going. I was like, keep going with the celebration, Like, let's get some emotion here. Keep going with the emotion. I need you to. I need to just keep you know, grinding that emotion back onto this this salad of winning. But I didn't seem to didn't seem like that was happening enough. And so but it seems like they're in a good spot now. I mean at least for the next two years. I think they're in a good position just financially. I mean, this is the thing that that stinks about the the collective bargain agreeing with the second apron and I hate that we you know, you have to bring this up now with everything that looks into the future of a team. But you know, they've got big extensions coming to chet Holmgren and Jada of this this off season, which won't kick in until the season after next season, so that's when it gets real expensive. You know, they have a super Max deal going. It's gonna be like four years, three hundred million to shay that it will be this offseason that kicks in, you know, the same time. So they really have like a year maybe two years until they have to start making some tough decisions on guys like Hartenstein and lou Door and Alex Caruso and Aaron Wiggins and all these other dudes. Or maybe they have to make a decision on a chet Holmgun or someone like that. But the good news for them is they have all those draft picks. Right The reason they have all those draft picks is to be able to attach it to contracts or you know, bring in you know, cheap labor in terms of you know, cost control with rookie deals, and develop those guys to kind of bring you know, bring in some help. But you know that you normally wouldn't be able to do when you're that maxed out, and that that good. So they do have a plan. I just I don't know how long this lasts, because it never lasts as long as we think it's going to. And then in today's collective bargeting agreement, I don't know. I don't know what that's going to look like.
Speaker 1: Championship parade, Oklahoma City, Caruso, shirtless, smashing Ultras. Check could barely form a sentence. What would Zach Harper's NBA Championship Aide forty eight hour window look like?
Speaker 3: Remember j R. Smith in twenty It would be exactly that. Okay, it wouldn't be pretty.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, but I wouldn't blame you at all. I mean, celebrate, do your thing, all right. Let's move over here before we get to some other thoughts on the West. The net net of the Pacers entire situation, zac as what because you just have to I'm I am not a Pacer fan. I never will be. But holy smokes, nothing but respect for Rick Carlisle. That run going to seven games against that team when nobody even thought you were even gonna get out of the first or second round as a remarkable accomplishment. But layered in the question has to be the Achilles injury to Tyre Saliburton. What it means for this group moving forward. So the net net of the entire Pacer situations act sounds.
Speaker 3: Like what I mean, it's good, it's positive, It just stinks because I don't know, like you, next year's out right, Like he shouldn't play next year. I don't even know he'll be able to play next year because he injured it so deep into the into the postseason, obviously the Game seven of the NBA Finals, that you should consider him out for next year? Do you consider him fully back for the year after that? Doesn't this usually take about two years for guys to to really be back to form. So are you not punting on but are you kind of like taking the next two seasons out in terms of being able to really maximize what this team could be? And at that point, you know, what does the makeup look like? You have the same players? Are you cycling guys in and out. I think it makes the construction of this really difficult. You know, Rick Carlisle said the things you're supposed to say about you know, priority number one is getting Miles Turner back, and I think I think that's the right move. I think it's a good idea because you don't have a good replacement for him, But I don't know that he's the guy that you need long term. He didn't play great in the finals. He had moments, but he wasn't knocking down shots for a guy who's a shooter. He wasn't grabbing rebounds at all. He had times where he was defending the rim really well, but he also had times where you know, he was allowing layups left and right. So you know, they do have some roster construction things. But overall, I think the important thing was their ie identity and their team culture. And I know team culture is always such an overused thing, but it really worked with them, right Like they built this. They decided two years ago, Hey, we've got this guy, We're gonna build everything around him. We're gonna play this certain way and make life miserable for everybody else. And it worked. It really really worked, and I think it'll work again. You just got to get that guy back to full health.
Speaker 1: So as a result of the Durant trade, and I certainly am interested in your thoughts on that, that combined with, of course, the litany of injuries the teams will have to deal with, But we'll focus on the Western Conference for a moment. Oklahoma City an overwhelming favorite in Vegas, not just to win the West, but win the championship next year. But according to Vegas, the two teams that it actually that's not even the right way to put it. According to Vegas, it's Oklahoma City and then a large gap, but the two teams that are the closest are Houston and Minnesota. Do you concur with that and would you put any other teams in the West that actually do exist in Oklahoma City's cul de sac?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's probably right. You know, I think, you know, Houston was already really really good and really intriguing. You add Kevin Durant to the mix. I assume it's going to be a good fit because I do think you can just kind of plug and play him anywhere you've got to. You gotta make sure he's happy right. It's sure that he doesn't he doesn't get towered on the situation, but I think he fits with what they want to do and what they need Defensively, They're going to have an identity whether he's on the floor or not. So if he misses some games, I don't think it's a big deal. They still need more scoring in the back court. I think they need a little bit more reliability with scoring and shooting in the back court. And I don't know if that happens by a trade. I don't know if that happens by a development. I don't know if that happens by by signing a role player who can step in. But they they they're not complete here. They need that, but they're also going to have you know, Aman Thompson is becoming a monster on the court. I think that that postseason, as brief as it was, was very important for him. So I think they're in a great position Minnesota. It's going to be interesting to just how do they pivot from what they were. They built that team to beat Denver, and they beat Denver and then OKC emerged as the new monster, and clearly that makeup doesn't exactly work. I also think that series was closer than the five games that it was. I think Game one was a lot more competitive than people think it was. And I think, you know, Game four was right there for the taking. And if they win Game four and it's two to two, we've seen, you know, you can put pressure on OKAC. Denver did it, Indiana did it, And what does that look like for Minnesota. They need more help in the backcourt or at least on the perimeter for initiating offense for Anthony Edwards. I don't know how much flexibility they're going to have to make that happen, but I do think those are the two best teams outside of OKC in the West.
Speaker 1: Now the East gets very interesting. The Knicks interviewed Mike and Norri today or this week, so you know, we'll see what happens there respect to coach Nori long time as assistant. Number of different stops in the NBA filled in for you know what, I'm not breaking it down anymore anyway. We'll see who they land on. But when it comes when it comes to this, I don't know. I've heard gap year. Tom Haberstrow's used gap year for Boston. They trade Drew Holliday to Portland. Of course, the injury to Dame, so Milwaukee's compromised, and then obviously Halliburton's injury. I mean, you know those teams will stay competitive, but I suppose Zach and We'll lean into the odds again. Out East, it is Cleveland, New York, and then Orlando who acquires Desmond Bane With these players hurt and compromised, what do you think happens in the Eastern Conference next year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would put the Knicks as the favorite, or at least my favorite. We got to see what does happen with the coaching situations. I don't think just any coach is going to be a good higher I do like Mike Nory. We could break that down if you want, but I do like him quite a bit, so I think I think that would be a good option. But you also just never know if if guys are going to embrace the new coach. So you know, they were right there and I think that they're not that far off. I think they need a couple of bench pieces. I don't think the issue was Tom Thibodau not playing the bench. I don't think he had much of a bench to play. Right, So I think it's kind of compounded on those two issues on top of each other. So I don't really believe in Cleveland after these last three postseasons. I think that they've got to prove that, you know, they've got the mental makeup. I know they've got the talent, but I think they've got to prove they have the mental makeup before I start buying them as a team that will will break through. Even though they had sixty four wins and look great in the regular season. Orlando, obviously, as you mentioned, is super interesting. I want to see what Detroit does. I think Detroit's got a great opportunity to make us splash this offseason, whether that's grabbing more help for Cad on the perimeter, whether it's grabbing another dynamic big man inside to either replace Dura or help Duran, or if that's a four who can stretch things out. If they can grab some more offense in there, I think Detroit could be another one of those teams that really surprises everybody. If Orlando is healthy, and maybe if they grab one more shooter or one more point guard who can really distribute, I think there'll be a massive problem in the Eastern Conference and maybe they're that team that pulls an Indiana this year.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here. Before we move over to the draft stuff, let me just ask you a general question about if you're hearing anything concerning the Jazz getting involved in any of these transactions. We have Drew Holliday to the Blazers, of course, Durant to the Rockets. CJ. McCollum. I'm sure he woke up to a text he was pumped about. He's a wizard, and Jordan Poole will take his talents down to New Orleans. Austin Ahs introductory press conference made some pretty bold statements. The Jazz have not been involved in any of these transactions yet. We'll finish with some draft But before we get there, are you hearing anything regarding the team that plays just a few miles from where we're broadcasting the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 3: Nothing specific in terms of the Jazz, but I have heard that these deals are not complete right, that other teams will likely get involved in teams with some flexibility, some cap flexibility, cap space, So that is a team like the Jazz. I would assume that they're trying to get involved, whether it means grabbing a draft pick, a second round pick, a player, whatever that, whatever that entails. But I do think that these deals as reported are are not going to be exactly what they appear to be in the headlines. I think it's gonna get a little bit more complicated because of this collective bargaining agreement and just the machinations that these deals have to go through. So nothing specific on the Jazz, but from the way it sounds behind the scenes, it would not shock me if they're involved in any or all of these trades.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over the draft. Zach does a mock draft for the Athletic Yeah, it does a lot on these prospects. So I'm gonna start with a general question about the Jazz at five and we'll go from there. Here's how I phrase it. Best case, realistic scenario for the Jazz to walk away with the prospect at five. Who would you say that is as of now?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I mean, I'm probably highest on Trey Johnson for like the realistic scenarios there. I love Trey Johnson. I think he's a dynamic scoring guard. If I think he's a great just classic two guard, great footwork, has a great shot good size. I think he will be someone, you know, maybe we gotta see something defensively from him. I don't know if that was a Texas thing. I don't know if that's a Hymn thing, but I think he would just grab he would. He would add so much great scoring to them a year or two from now. And he's fun. He's a really fun guy. The next guy after that would probably be Jeremiah Fears. Like, I know, we've done the counter George thing, We've done that Isa Collier thing. I think he's legit. I think Fears is a guy that everyone seems to be raving about him. He's super young for even a draft prospect as a freshman, and he is a just absolute monster in the pick and roll. Like, I think he is a guy that I wouldn't look at the shooting percentages. I would look at the film with him. I think he's going to really shine at the NBA level.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the Ace Bailey stuff. I mean, I keep reminding people he's an eighteen year old kid. He's not making these decisions. Certainly his reps, his agent and the stuff I've read about his agent. I'll say, Uh, he's just learning on the job, okay, But typically if you're going to cancel every workout you're offered, you have a promise. But when I heard he canceled Philly at three, I'm like, well, dude, he didn't get a promise at one or two. So like, ultimately, what do you make of this noise? What's the motivation for Ace's camp to roll this way? And what do you think it means for his status tomorrow night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing you hear is that he doesn't want to maybe be in Philly, but even that's murky, and that he doesn't want to, you know, do the whole like one on on none workout because that doesn't really show anything, which I get. But also like you're not going to go play five on five out there either, because why why would you if you're potentially the number three pick? Like it just in how workouts go in today's world, that's not how that really goes. And and then like, you know, baby, maybe is just trying to get away from you know, teams that are not so east coast except Philly's east coast right and Washington's east coast, And so I don't know, I don't I genuinely don't know what he's doing other than and not he like like you said, it's his agent, like disrupting the draft process. I'm for it in terms of adding a little chaos, because I do think the draft process can be a little dumb. But if you don't have that, if you don't have that promise and you are willing to go through the potential embarrassment of falling on draft night, it's fine. You could use that to your motivation. You can use that down the road. But it is a risk, right, Like it is a risk, like I don't think Charlotte's gonna take him. I don't think Utah is gonna take him. You know, I think Washington is super interested. I think Brooklyn would love to have him, and maybe that's the goals for him to fall down to one of those teams. But I don't fully understand what's going on with him in his camp.
Speaker 1: Feels like most of the noise around Philly as they've landed on Edge comb at three. Let me ask you this, though, if there's a like maybe Philly is zigging and maybe they just take ace like everybody thought they were going to for like a year. If Edge column and Trey Johnson are there at five. Who do you think Josh should taken away?
Speaker 3: Oh, Edgecombe. I don't think Edgecomb would get passed Charlotte at four, but I do think Edgecomb is the guy to take there. I mean everything I've heard from people around him and around the part, they're like, he almost was too good of a teammate last year and didn't take over at times. And it's not that he couldn't. He was just trying to make sure everyone was involved. Everyone had to go with it. And he's got way more to his game than what he even showed, and on both ends of the floor. And I think that is you know, yeah, he's only six four and you like a little bit more hype, but his arms are long, he's crazy athletic. He's got a good shot, he's got good passing ability, he's got good defensive instincts. I think he's someone that we're going to see him like two months into his rookie year and wonder why didn't we see any of this at Baylor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's fair. He played here against BYU down in Provo, had a really really good game. So Richard Smith, who's a consistent guest on the show and was with the Jazz for forty years. He'll be on our Draft night coverage tomorrow. Seems to be pretty enamored with the Malowatch Kid out of Duke. Now the Jazz have a big and Walker Kessler that they like an awful lot. But there are a lot of rumors that maybe they're going to try to reset the clock based off the fact that they're miles away from anybody, not even close to being even kind of decent. Do you think there's any sense to maybe taking the Malawatch Kid at five and kicking the tires on Kessler, then resetting the clock to kind of go back to the beginning after a four year, very clunky, somewhat embarrassing attempted to rebuild.
Speaker 3: I think it makes a lot of sense just but I'm also super high on Malwatch, Like I think he is one of the best prospects in the draft, and he is someone I would I would risk, you know, a higher pick on. I've seen some people say maybe second half of the lottery, you know, maybe maybe more towards the six to ten range, And I get it, get that he hasn't played that long and there are some things you maybe worry about in terms of skill development here and there. I think it's touch in his instincts for a guy who's only played basketball for a couple of years, are just incredible. His size, you obviously can't teach that. And you know, it's not that Walker Kessler isn't good. He's really good. He's going to be a very good, you know, center for a lot, starting center for a long time in the NBA. But and I don't know if this is a proper comp but you know, it might be the difference between having an all star, perennial all star center in maliwatch if he can develop into that versus like having Yaka Purtle as your center for ten years. Which not a problem to have Yaka Purtle as your center for ten years. He's really good. You can win a lot of games with him. But I do think the potential if you're looking to hit home runs and find that guy in the rebuilding process, I would almost rather risk it with Maluwatch. But I'm also again super high on him.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about one more prospect before I say you lose, Because it seems like everywhere I look and everybody I read konk Nipple has been and really rising up draft boards. I think Gavoni's laid a sas him off the board at four to Charlotte. A lot of people of shamis. If he's there at five, the Jazz would look at him. I'm undecided on this. The measurables aren't great, but he really guards and of course he can shoot it. What sort of NBA player do you think Kan Kinnippa would make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I keep hearing like the Luke Canard comparison because of like white duke shooting guard right, and it makes sense. He is a he's a really good passer. He can I mean he can shoot with a guy in his face, right. I think that's the important thing is is it's not just oh he'll knock down open shots, like he was a great shooter this last year when guys were right up on him, and so that's an important skill to have as well. To me, the my issue with him is whenever I saw him play, he looked like someone who was like six one sixty two with the way he played and that and not like in a good like oh he's so shifty kind of way in like why isn't this guy playing like he's sixty sixty sixty seven? You know, I think for me that's that's my worry with him is that he is going to be physically overmatched at the NBA level, and I don't want to see, you know, I just I wouldn't take him in the top five. To me, I think he's going to be a good pro. I just think there's a lot more potential with guys like Fears, guys like Trey Johnson, guys like Maley Watch like though. I would rather risk it with them rather than go with ka Nipple that high in the draft.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, appreciate the time should be a fun week. Draft of Week's always fun. So you have a good one. Well, chat soon, thanks, Ach.
Speaker 3: Are you coming? Are you coming to the Summer League in Vegas? Yeah?
Speaker 1: We're debating and discussing, but you need to come to Salt Lake Summer leauecause that's where the real party is. You know that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll go there, but you got to come to at least the first weekend in Vegas.
Speaker 1: All right, If you come here, I'll go to Vegas, all right, deal, deal there he is Zach Harper from the Athletic. I always appreciate his time. He joins us on a very consistent basis. He writes power rankings weekly for the Athletic. He does mock drafts as well. We're talking about as podcast info, but it's a very fun listen. If you never checked it out, I would encourage you to do so. At Top Hoops is where you find him.
Speaker 4: Next on the drive, Man dropping dimes for your NBA Daily assists.
Speaker 5: Van McMahon Van McMahan. That is in all Land Texas flood as tickets, Mud He's and main Ban McMahon Van McMahon.
Speaker 1: Then, Man, we got the voice of the You. It's Bill Riley joining us. Coming up in a bit. Dave Fox rolls by starting things off with Zach Harper. But it is a Tuesday, even in June. That means it's time for our weekly hit with the great Tim McMahon. Timmy, I know you're a jam Paxel. Let's get right to it. Since you and I last spoke, we have a deserving NBA champ. How do you add color and context and not just the finals run, but the entire season that we just saw from Oklahoma City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: Listen for Shake Gildes Alexander. I mean, we just witnessed one of the great individual all around seasons in NBA history. I mean, you punch up his numbers, scoring champ uh, you know, regular season, MVP, Finals, MVP, complete brilliance for a guy just entering his prime. And then, like the question of Oklahoma City, now that they've gotten one, is how many they've got a chance? You know, you got to put a couple together before you start throwing dynasty around too much. But they've got that kind of potential when you look at they've got one guy and they're in their regular rotation who you could say is deep into his prime. The rest of them are either just starting it or not even approaching it. This is going to be a force to be reckoned with for a long long time to come. Certainly the team that everybody in the NBA is going to be chasing for the next few years.
Speaker 1: So who out this way out West exists now with them? The Vegas Odds basically says, well, it says Oklahoma City is the massive favorite, but if there are two teams that can actually maybe make them uncomfortable, according to Vegas, it's Houston with Durant and Minnesota, do you think those are the two teams that Oklahoma City needs to worry about or they're just going to kind of do their thing.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I.
Speaker 6: Don't make Oklahoma City iss gon't necessarily worry about anybody. I would say Denver is the team in the Western Conference that pushed them to the brink, that pushed them to seven games. Denver is the one that as a player that you can make a real serious argument that is even a more dominant force than Shake Gilds Alexander. So I think you've got to include the Nuggets in that conversation. Also, you know, Denver's the last team other than okay See in the West to win a championship. And you know, the Rockets I think are going to be I don't know, we can play with the semantics of contender, but man, the Rockets were a number two seed that, in my opinion, were a go to guy away from being a real threat, and they just were not traded for Kevin Durant without giving up anything that I would consider to be an essential part of their long term future.
Speaker 1: True, So the Pacers net net of this, tim sounds like what an incredible run to the Game seven of the NBA Finals, a horrible, horrible ending with Haliburton coming out knocking down three threes and then doing the Achilles. So, as somebody you witnessed this run, what's the takeaway from Indiana side.
Speaker 6: I mean, maybe the most impressive playoff run, not the end of the championship ever, certainly in recent memory. When you talk about all the upsets they pulled off, all the miraculous comebacks, the unbelievable clutch run that Tyry Halliburton, and it didn't look man like, don't I don't believe in basketball? God, that's that because for him to have that kind of clutch run, to be getting it out in a game seven, to get off to that kind of a start in a game seven, and then to get hurt in that fashion, like, man, what a tragic ending, What a terrible way for that run to end. And unfortunately he probably doesn't play next year. You know, it's probably now a gap year for the Pacers, and what a what a tough playoffs for Eastern Conference stars, you know, Damian Lillard, Jason Tatum, Tyree's Halbert all out most if not all. Next year, we're covering from Achilles, and you know, the East is wide open, and I know, like there's there's guys. There are stars in the Western Conference and maybe aren't feeling like they're in a long term fit right now that are looking east and saying maybe we should be trying to get there because it's a lot easier out east than it is west.
Speaker 1: Right now, Vegas likes Cleveland and New York and then Orlando is trailing a little bit behind. Would you agree with that assertion based off the lidney of injuries you just referenced.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I really like the Desinvain trade for Orlando. You know, he's never been an All Star. I would say the odds of him being an All Star now are a heck of a lot better now that he's in the Eastern Conference. That's another reason maybe find some stars that are that are looking that way and wondering if that's a place that they want to be. But I think that they really needed obviously shooting and another guy who can create some offensively. I think he's going to be a really, really good fit and they you know, that was also a sign for Memphis that hey, they they're not close to contending in the Western Conference, and there's a step back type of trade to kind of reload, certainly get some some draft amo and you know, see what they can try to do around John Morant and Jaron Jackson Jr.
Speaker 1: Let me go back to the Durant deal, Tim, since I've been able to talk to you, do you think Phoenix got enough? Do you like it from both sides? Do you think there's one winner in this situation?
Speaker 6: No, there's one winner. You know, Phoenix wasn't going to get enough though, because of the circumstances. Sure, Kevin Durant had a year left on his contract and he was going to have control and he was not going to you know, he was like they could have gotten more from Minnesota if Kat would have been willing to go there. He wasn't. He didn't want to go there. So the jim Wolves weren't going to trade for guy who didn't want to be there. And you know, like the Sons took the deal that they had to take if they're going to get a deal done for the draft. But the Rockets weren't going to boost that offers. They weren't going to give up a tarrees or certainly they don't even ask about him in Compton. They weren't willing to give up to Barison Junior reach Shepherd. They were only willing to do a pick, not multiple picks, and certainly not multiple of the Son's old picks. And the Spurs weren't even ditagressive and neither were they heat So they took the office they had to take. But man, they're a long way from paying off the trade that they made to get KD. And by the way, the team that has the most facets left over from that it was the freaking Houston Rockets, I mean the right. It's funny Tillman Fatita learn some tough lessons early on the Chris Paul Trey was a disaster, right, but he learned his lessons and they went through painful rebuild and they've been very, very patient since then. It's a poll offster approach what Matt Ishbey has done, and the Rockets are benefiting from their approach, and they're also benefiting from the Sun's approach.
Speaker 1: We've seen well, I guess with a Bain transaction, we've now seen four pretty sizable deals coupled today. CJ. McCollum is a wizard interesting situation there, Jordan Poole will take his talents and some other pieces involved too. Reference Baine reference. Durant also Drew Holliday as a Blazer, the Jazz not involved him. I know, we only have a few minutes left, so let's hone in on the local stuff. Are you hearing anything since you I last spoke about what this offseason could look like for the Utah Jazz?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, listen, the Jazz aren't going to tank according to O's names, but that doesn't mean they're going to make win now trade. How foolish would it be for them to be making big splashy Oh, let's win right now.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: You're not going to win now. They're going to have another tough view next years. They understand that. So, you know, I firmly believe if the Jazz are going to be making trades around the draft or you know, in into the early stages of the off season, they will be operating as sellers. Will it be John Collins, Colin Sexton, Jordan Clarkson. I don't think it'll be Walker Kess, so that that that would surprise me. But again, you know, I don't think they're in a position where anything but patience makes sense for them.
Speaker 1: All right, final thing, Uh, tomorrow night NBA drafts. According to what you're hearing, do you think we'll see a lot of movement? Do you think it's going to be a fun, dramatic night or do you think it's going to kind of be status quo.
Speaker 6: No, I think there's gonna be a lot of movement, and like it's already started.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: You mentioned the Drew Holiday deal, uh, sending him to Portland, which you know that's an interesting one. Uh. You know you mentioned the McCallum pool trade today. Obviously the KD deal is already done, but the draft is a trade that'll of sorts because if you're going to trade the draft things, you want to be able to make your own pick. And so I anticipate that it's going to be a very busy eating tomorrow and in the second round.
Speaker 1: All Right, buddy, appreciate the time we'll set you loosen, we'll chat soon.
Speaker 6: Okay, appreciate your brother.
Speaker 1: All right. Tim McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN covers the Utah Jazz more intensely when the Jazz are interesting. NBA draft coming up tomorrow we will have covered for you right after we say good night at six o'clock on the program. The Jazz are at five. They're also at twenty one, and you know, all the interesting thing about the Jazz is all of these mocks are different. Now, I like Veassini from The Athletic, Cavoni from ESPN. There are a couple of other writers that do a really good job. Cavoni's latest is Jeremiah Fears to the Jazz at five. Now, we had Zach Harper on earlier. He very much likes Jeremiah Fears. And this is probably not a fair thing to do, but whenever something works at a high level, the way this stuff goes down, like teams will try to copy what Sam Presty has done, and teams will try to replicate what the Boston Celtics have built. Obviously didn't work this year, but they won an NBA championship. They went to like five conference finals and two championship series and one to one. And I can't help but look at the size and the lank and the athleticism of the teams that are top shelf from pro basketball. Right now, Jeremy Fears is six to two. Keyante's like six three Isaiah six to two, Like, I just don't know if building a roster full of guards that are small is a formula for winning basketball in the modern day and age of the NBA. When you look at the Oklahoma City Thunder, the team that just won the NBA Championship, and again I want to acknowledge how unfair this is because Oklahoma City is historic and we probably should have been more adamant about understanding that early on. And even Indiana fits the bill like this a little bit. Boston fully healthy, certainly does. And then there are unicorns like a Steph Curry who's six three, but he's just Steph. It's just different because he's so elite what he does. But you look at Alex Crusoe sixty five, Lou Dort six', Five shay is six to. Six, Obviously hart And shine And shad are seven. Footers you keep going down the. List Cason wallace is sixty, three plays like he's sixty, Six Aaron wiggins is sixty, Five Jalen williams is sixty, Six Kenrick williams of six,', eight like you just simply have to, have big lengthy wings that can guard multiple positions and also not be. Liabilities offensively you know the era of like a one sided player Like A bruce bowen For. The spurs back in, the day there was mostly a Defensive star wars who can knock down some. Corner three, he's like. That's done and so if you're marching out against a team who's average height in their starting lineup is like six five sixty six and you have two players that are under six three and your first guard off the bench is six, to two unless all three of those players are, ultra special just think you're up. Against it so we'll see What the as do. Tomorrow night there are a bunch of different mocks that indicate different directions. Are Possible kN ker nipple is a name that has risen up. Draft boards cavoni has him at four To The. Charlotte hornets it feels like the intrigue does start. At four the first, three picks according to most people, you know feel like they're kind of. Dialed in, Of course dallas will Land on Cooper Flag sham scharane reported Today That san antonio has just decided that they're Going With. Dylan harper and actually he Mentioned The oklahoma city Model Because san antonio of course has the Raigning and rookie Of the Year In, stefan castle and then Of course Victor woman yama is the cornerstone everything. They do they also traded For. DARN fox i Don't Think chris paul is gonna be on. The, roster so, you know the redundancy term IN the nba might be something that we need to do, away with because is there Redundancy between Shay?
Speaker 3: And?
Speaker 1: Jada like is there redundancy between those? Two players are they just two players that are built similarly and are both awesome and you just want as many players. As possible, you know one of the SILLIEST things i can remember when people were Discussing The boston celtics prior to them actually winning a championship Is Can Jalen Can jalen Brown And jason tatum? Play together is there too much redundancy between those two because they're, built similarly they both have similar. Skill sets you just want as, many, big long rangy athletic players that you can possibly get that of course has complete skill sets that can develop in. Your system So san Antonio Adds dylan harper to a roster that is already young and exciting and talented and will be good for a long. Long time so it feels like that's kind of. The deal and then all the intel as a result of the weird situation With, as bailey who just won't work out, for anybody whether or not he has. A promise i think that's something we're just gonna have to wait to. Find out tomorrow night Is that philly has LANDED on vj edgecome, Of three so it feels like, tomorrow night and, again reminder we Will Have draft knight coverage for you both round one and. Round Two the jazz have two second. Round, picks now If the jazz trade both second round picks, tomorrow night maybe we'll recalibrate about our night. To coverage but, tomorrow, Night Myself, Gordy Chaser, Richard smith i'll be anchoring our coverage and then for, Round two gordy's gonna take the. Night off it'll just be Me, and smitty so we'll kind of see how this. Goes down so, a reminder after we see a good night tomorrow at six they tuned for our live coverage IN The, Nba draft but after three is where it's getting where it gets, Interesting, now Charlotte As zach harper, said earlier doesn't feel like they've gone all in on the same sort of Rebuild that Utah and. Washington have basically those two teams who are very front facing and obvious about their motivations a year ago to lose games on purpose for the name of. Draft capital it's a, painful. Process man it is a painful process because whether You, are utah whether You, are washington whether You're the pelicans who kind of shut, it Down The, brooklyn nets like all of those teams were very obvious about their motivation to be unseerious, about competing only to Watch The, dallas mavericks The Sant, antilio spurs And the philadelphia Seventy six ers get the top. Three, picks dallas, of course Already Has, Anthony Davis. Kyrie irving they Wrapped Up daniel gafford with a. Contract extension they've got really. Talented pieces it's not a, bad roster even though they moved Off of dncic as we've, talked about but they already have legitimately one of the top five players in the league when he's right and when. He's healthy THAT'S who I think ad. Is now you could talk about he's up, in age his. Health issues all. That's fair the, point is with the way this stuff is hopefully supposed to play out for the teams that, are struggling Like The, utah jazz it's just hard To stomach Dallas With anthony Davis And kyrie irving grabbing. Number One san antonio with the two straight winners Of the rookie Of The, Year award Victor wemen Yam And, stefan castle they Just grab harper. At two and Then ultimately philly Still Has joel Embiid And paul george on. Their, roster now tremendous amount of Questions About joel, embiat's health tremendous amount of Questions About paul george's interest in playing, basketball anymore but, those two when healthy, and right are still very elite in the top upper half of superstar players in. Pro basketball there are plenty of smart basketball people That Believe joel embiid is as unique as anyone we've ever seen IN. The nba the problem is he just, breaks down but they still have them on. THE roster i didn't Even Mention. Tyrese maxa you JUST. Add vj edgecomb to. That group so then the intrigue Starts in charlotte. At four According, to Cavoni conk nipple would be the. Play there so if con canimple is the play, at Four the jazz will have their Pick Of, Jeremiah Fears, ace Bailey And. Trey johnson and if you want to Throw the mallawatch Kid from duke, in there somebody likes him an. Awful lot that's certainly a name you can, look at but that's not a horrible group of prospects to have your. Pick of if You're, The jazz cavoni has Them Taking. Jeremiah fears i've already outlined my concern. With that if those players, ARE available I think i'll probably just side With What zach harper just said, earlier Today And tony, Jones Echoed trey johnson feels like he needs to be the pick because If the Jazz Go jeremiah fears at, Five again i'll go lean back on the. Term, redundancy no it's not a super excellent parallel the that's probably a little bit of a. False EQUIVALENCY if I Say jeremiah fears is the Same as Kante or isaiah, but again it's another smallish guard that you'll have on your roster under contract for at least three or, four years depending on how the rookie contract. Plays Out the jazz need length and they need athletes. They Need the jazz have been historically pathetic defensively for two. Straight years that another smallish guard who doesn't feel like he has the length and the athleticism to exist IN the nba just feels like the. Wrong MOVE and i cannot coroborate or speak to what is going On With. Ace bailey, and no he didn't measure at six' ten like we. Thought he would he ended up about six or. EIGHT without shoes i hate the. Without shoes thing it's the dumbest. Thing we do you wear shoes when, you play basketball. MEASURE in shoes i don't care how tall. You are barefoot we're not playing Pickup ball in africa like. We wear shoes it's. The DUMBEST thing so i wouldn't Mind if the jazz Landed on as bailey at five based off the intel all year long that had him as one of the, top three, prospects because no he's, not six ten but at least he's six's eight, with long arms a seven, to two wingspan seven to, one wing span and he was the number three prospect pretty much all year long before this chaos kind of fell on him as a result of him not working. Out For teams trey johnson about, six' five okay one to, ninety six' ten, wingspan standing reach, eight five and to me he at least has the, upside of being. A great great offensive, player it can. Really, shoot it can initiate yes. All these players are young we don't know. What they're going, to be and that's why whether IT'S college football, recruits or nba draft picks you have to proceed with a tremendous amount of caution. Before you anoint or dismiss it's simply. Going to take, some time gavoni's latest mock there's not a ton of local interest. In the draft this Year The One. Name is yegor yegor demon at One point he was just i'm as. High as ten or Eleven his latest mock Has jegar going thirteen To Atlanta, to play for quinn snyder which would, still be a lottery pick but. LATE lottery pick at That i do wonder and i've heard, some people talk about this and certainly some people write About This the whole like ryan smith IS A. Massive donor to byu basketball he's one of THE Alums that CARES About Byu. Basketball and byu electic department so he clearly is, part of not the ENTIRETY but part of bankrolling byu basketball to give them the funds they need to bring In Talent. To play for kevin young he is. DONATING a lot of money. I don't know how much i don't. Have access to that information but one of the things that people have talked about is is there anything About that that? Can benefit ryan's pro team and while, my initial reaction IS no the only angle i could come up with Is the. Challenge, that The jazz have well the jazz have a. Lot of challenges right now they're one of the two or THREE. Worst rosters in the nba it's, going to be another really. Really rough year next year but when you kind of pan back from the from the vacuum mindset and talk about it for more of a, macro thirty thousand foot view if you go all The way Back to after john and, carl either retired or left the challenge that this team has. Had is in, this city isn't drafting. Well it isn't developing well it's retaining the, players you've drafted AND developed because in the nba. It's a three tier system, you have to draft, well you have to develop and. Then you have to retain the retention piece is the one piece of this puzzle this team has not. Been able to figure out so? Is there, anything There Where for instance like jegor demon spoke Glowingly, ABOUT his time in PROVO i think he met i, don't know if they're engaged but he's dating A. Girl he met at byu will that change when he sees other big? CITIES and experiences. Other places i don't know but is there anything that we could draw from a great Experience from a. Player that ryan helps hire that's. The way to PUT, it To play for, byu that ryan HELPS, buy to pay for byu and they HAVE a good experience at, byu and in our state and then therefore would be more likely To stay here, if the, jazz draft them developed them, and then able to retain which is the one piece of the puzzle. This organization can't figure out it still would be A Reach to take. Jeg or deman at five but. Here's a Question to, Ponder if you're jazz fans if You Have a guarantee that yegor demon will Play His Entire career In Salt lake city and trey johnson will leave, in six or seven years who would you rather have Six Or seven years of trey johnson are Twelve Or. Fourteen, years, OF yegor demon now again i, Want to be very Clear i'm not Saying The jazz are, draft DIEGOR demin at five but byu bought and essentially paid for Five Months of basketball for aj debonsa to the. Tune of seven million dollars ryan was one of the people that wrote a check. To HELP make that happen, and i am telling you if you have, no watched this kid play he is everything he's cracked. UP to be and more i don't think he would have been the number One Pick, this year over cooper flag but he will be talked about during the draft Process Next year the way cooper flag. Is being Talked, about now so if aj who appears to really being enjoying his Time, on the ground in provo if there's an opportunity to grab a kid like that who has experienced our. State and actually likes. It Maybe there's something there maybe i'm reaching because of course it's Not as easy as the jazz have to get the NUMBER One, Pick to draft aj demonson but Maybe THERE'S something there where ryan's i don't think. It's a conflict of interest i've heard a lot of people talk about. That and write about. It That's not. My thing it's ryan's money he can do. Whatever he wants WITH. It he graduated from BYU. He very much loves Byu. He also wants the jazz but in the spirit of trying to figure out if, there's actually any synergies here maybe that's the angle. That we could reach for it actually. Makes, Something, Out, of It. Okay aj Debonca Jegor demon they KNOW ryan. Smith as the byu BOOSTER he. Sits courtside a byu games he jumps on the backs. Of coaches after they, win it's a little weird but. That's kind of his. Deal so They. Know, him they like utah Okay, they're drafted by the jazz and they actually stay here for longer than a Few years because until the jazz can get that third piece, of the puzzle dialed in and some, Of These, Decisions Were, Trades Darren, Williams Gordon, Hayward Donovan. MITCHELL rudy gobert carlos. Boozer i could keep going the best players That we've had here since john carl retired have stayed here for, a truncated amount of time and then they've either been traded because they, got sideways with a coach or they've, left On Their, own accord like gordon hayward or they just decided they wanted to live in a different city and forced their way out and Basically ended, a Generation Of jazz. Basketball like donovan mitchell did jazz have, been able to draft well they've. Been able to develop well the final piece of the puzzle is how do they retain long term to Maybe finally do something special because the fact of the matter is we have not had A Championship Contending team in salt lake. City, since nineteen ninety seven, okay that's twenty eight years and that's. Just the, reality of it we have, we've had. Some good teams another one we're kicking the tires. On potentially, winning a championship all right will catch you break coming. Up on the other SIDE big, news out of byu today big news out of. The landscape of College Football, they've locked in ryder lions who's one of the top FIVE quarterback recruits according to espn of. The twenty twenty six class what does that SAY about the current state buyu athletics and what message does That send to the folks about two miles away from, where we're Broadcasting right Now, UP the university of utah i want to tell You about My. Friends at outlaud to stilling it's a NEW Partner Here. On The espn sports network outloud distillery is, a homegrown grain, of, glass, nitty gritty whiskey vodka rum and Moonshine Distillery. Right Here, In salate county outlaud distillery utah grown with so, much, history here. Of cowboys outlaws mining more outlaw has everything on. The spirit, spectrum, from there, Spiced rum, vanilla, being, rum outlaw coffee, rum, honeybourbon. Barrel proof whiskey vodka moonshine they have it All and they're embracing the outlawed name by being rebellious and making some very unique spirits that aren't being seen or created By. Any other distilleries in utah happy. To have them on board if you want to take, a sip of their spirits you can either find their bottles and local liquor. Stores or BOOK of tasting. Tell them i sent you it's an hour and a half as, far as their tour goes and you get to. Keep your shotglasses a souvenir if you, want to try their spirits get your tour And your tasting bookd. At outlawdistillery dot com today the. Doors open in twenty fifteen it's only the fourth Distillery. In the state of utah deeply rooted, in utaih history And tradition even the name outlaws inspired by The Legendary characters such As Butch, cassidy and the outlaw trail which served it's a primary transportation route For Many Of. The notorious wild West Outlaws the vision for outlaw distillery is clear helps show the world that some of the best spirits can come from one of the best or, at least explain excuse me Least. Expected places HERE in utah Be on Tv Tonight with dave with DAVE. Fox ten thirty FIVE kmyu. HE was some nba drafts i would imagine we'll react to the news that byus dialed in the highest recruit saw on the football side Of Things they've had since ben olsen. In two Thousand and two right our lions Is. On his way to provo but among THESE staff Members Over at kutv, is heidi. Hatch Lovely lady good friend and i'm seeing a. TWEET she's sending out porter i. Want your take on this this. Is catching me off guard most dangerous college Towns, In, Twenty, Twenty, Five, Gainesville, Florida Tuscaloose, Alabama. Tempe arizona New, haven connecticut Shout Out Yale It's The, New, York What, Iowa, City, Iowa, East, Lansing, michigan Bloomington Indiana, Logan. Utah And cedar city utah cedar city, is not a. Real place by the, way that's an Odd spot but you have is it? REALLY that dangerous down. THERE i, don't think so i mean you feel. Like this list is valid so.
Speaker 2: These lists are. ALWAYS compiled, in interesting ways i mean? What, Are you Considering dangerous listen i'm sure logan has had if, you look at the stats they've had a big issue with sexual assault And the reporting thereof so i'm sure that played. Into them, Making that list in fact I'M almost positive because the doj had to Put Their Foot. Down in logan cedar. City one's interesting to me? Is it like car crashes is THAT the is that? On i eighty, down there but you, know let me.
Speaker 1: Pull this let me. Pull this Up real quick, according to heidi crime, statistics per ten? Thousand people is there ten are there Even Ten? Thousand? People in. Cedar city yeah there are. That's growing quite A Bit Data Source FROM Fbi Uniform. Crime reporting ucr local reporting we're available cities towns that are home to major. Universities or Large Student, populations respect to cedar city is it really a major? City with a, LARGE institution ALL due respect.
Speaker 2: I mean i, guess according TO certain, Parameters, That's Su U right yes southern utah, Thunderbirds Shout. Out our, guy delane.
Speaker 1: Fitzgerald. Oh yes that's right Yes What's the difference BETWEEN Southern utah and you ta tech or whatever the? Hell they're calling to, now like eighty miles so but, they, Are, two, different institutions, Correct okay yes all Right we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna.
Speaker 1: Bring in ryles TODAY boy, LOOK it's like i said I Just, got back from saint george and it. Is such a. Weird place it just is, We Talked About this yesterday black Desert Resort. Technically not in saint George, but everything down there Porter To me Is. EITHER saint george or mesquite i. Don't. EVERYTHING else, is whatever yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if you're on, one side Of The. Gorge you're in saint george, if you're on the other.
Speaker 1: YOU'RE in the skid.
Speaker 2: Area i feel you there there's there's not much use in parsing it when you're just kind of building a sprawl and. Extending it throughout the desert.
Speaker 1: You can throw cards on one side of the gorge and you. Cannot, on the, other exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay that's uh that's accurate you do, Some other things.
Speaker 1: There, too yes you, can well let's be clear you can do whatever. You want wherever you're at just some things are legal. And some things, Are, not this is, true Okay. This is true so Porter among the duties that porter, has at this, radio station which Are plentiful he hosts our. Utah football preff. And post he really is he like our main football, Guy Here. On the station ryder lions porter has signed to play his COLLEGE, football at the at byu So he Turned. Down the university of OREGON he was looking at, usc where his brother plays and He elected to Play for kilane and a, rod friends, of the show of course. And bring him on, University according to and look i'm Not going to Pretend That i've. Been, Grinding ryder lions tape okay i'm just reading about him over the past couple of weeks after the rumors surface he MIGHT. Come and play for, byu he's very highly. Regarded barely highly thought of he. Will not be available IMMEDIATELY he will serve an lds mission then be on. Campus in twenty twenty SEVEN we're gonna have some byu guests round the course of the. Week to talk about this this feels LIKE the football. EQUIVALENT of aj debantsa no aj might be more in a class of his own because he is the number one recruit as far. As, his peers this, year so first of all your thoughts on by you've been, able to get this done and then your thoughts on what this does as far as a shot maybe Across the Bow.
Speaker 2: For, The University, OF utah, ultimately rider lions i mean one of the top recruits in the in the. Country and as a quarterback THAT'S really the target. That byu had this offseason this was the one they wanted to get on, sign on the dotted line and you.
Speaker 1: Just look at.
Speaker 2: The, numbers he's, really good now for me you don't look at like one player. In recruiting as a success. It's more about the trends it's more about. The numbers year to year it's more, about. What you're doing consistently right but this is a player that you almost expect to contend for or at least push for that job in provo the. Second he steps. On campus YOU mentioned. It he's an lds kid, he's going on a mission so that's. Gonna wait a little. While but THAT'S it's, huge and like i said the bigger story here, today is, not that they you know got a. Top one hundred committed quarterback it's the fact that it adds on to, what is now a trend which is always what. You look at in recruiting they now have three top one, hundred recruits this signing class including Two. From the state of utah one of, them is a pass catcher one, of THEM throws the ball and i think one of them is. Going to protect your quarterback so, they're stockpiling in important, positions and as you mentioned they are doing it with what appears to be a really good. Backing, on the nil side now a Little different, than the aj debous situation just because this is a kid who HE grew. Up with some BYU, connections he is a lds so there was at least. A foot in the door the demands of stuff for. Me is even more wild it just kind of came. More out, of left field but YEAH big big Deal. For byu, AND for utah you know i don't ever take recruiting, is like a direct shot but when you're going head to head and when you measure yourself, up against your direct rival and especially when you're doing, it in The same, conference now the big twelve you're definitely paying attention to what they're doing and hopefully adding.
Speaker 1: Some, URGENCY on, your side yeah i, mean it's just to me underscores the bigger picture of this, dynamic that's kind of unfolded and we talked about. It To start the show according. I'VE got ESPN's rankings up i know two four seven does some stuff, and some other you know some other. Outlets HAVE their own rankings even i believe. This is up to date even With The news today the RIDER. LIONS has committed, to byu espn has them according to, the twenty twenty six rankings just on the outside. Of the top twenty, Five so according to this, TENNESSEE would be twenty six, Byu would be, Twenty Seven auburn twenty, Eight Boston college twenty nine florida state. Thirty for twenty, twenty six and you know you add this current recruiting cycle as porter Of Reference. Tight end, from saint george ironically enough, highly thought of defensive tackle an old ligneman that are all. In the top one, HUNDRED when the dust settles byu might have a top twenty recruiting class for. The twenty twenty six cycle that certainly would be, their highest recruiting class ever not JUST under kilane. From what i read, Today if this is accurate BYU's best recruiting class was twenty ten and it. WAS a top thirty class i think. They finished at number thirty so, if they, can creep up you, know into the top twenty it would be historic on. A number of different levels but it just KIND of underscores this current i think we have enough data now to call it a trend, Where for about a decade utah had A clear innate advantage over. Byu in one main area i've always said two things if. You listen to, The, show first, of all hello? Thank you how, Are you second of all. I've always sa, two things, two two incidents two Circumstances two situations catapulled the utah football into this era OF. Dominance over their rival byu it was a. Generation of youth football dominance and. There are, two Reasons why number one as kyle said no to his Alma. Mater and Yes to utah IF coach wit took The byu job, BACK after urban took off i don't know what this. Era would have Looked like that's How Important, Kyle Is, to utah football utah. Athletics the community Up here. That's who Coach wit. Is he is utah's levelle. There will be a, statue he doesn't love it but there will be a statue bill. As soon as. He's Done, That's number one NUMBER two utah gets THE pac twelve invite and byu IS left out looking at, byu makes, a reactionary move and yes it was no matter what sort of spin you want to put because you don't, LOVE uncomfortable truths down there byu makes the, reactionary move to go independent, which was a big risk but it was probably the only course of action as Opposed To staying in the mountain west conference going, to find your own. Way which will, tough Ask Which is why as tom, homer walks out THE door, if you're a byu fan you owe that man, a, debt of gratitude. Forever period end of story but, because of Those two dynamics because Of kyle saying yes TO, utah And know to Byu and utah, receiving THE pac twelve invite and byu in, A reactionary move going independent utah was able to build up a clear advantage over the course of a. Generation fifteen years or so what's happened, over the past three years maybe, even a little, bit longer about four years is the shoes, now on the other foot where there's No longer any CLEAR. Advantage utah has over Byu both. Are in the Big Twelve, You Can thank larry scott george kliovkoff a number of different mitigating factors all kind of combined to collapse the Home. For FOOTBALL in, the west the pac twelve, which continues to be WILD will never be something i can say out loud without having some sort, of VISCERAL like body reaction like i still can't believe, how it all went. Down But it went, down the pac Twelve died AND now Both utah and, Byu are big twelve. Teams big twelve athletic departments utah a full. SHARE, member from day, one byu for whatever reason still, not a full share member but they're. Still in the same conference there's no longer an innate advantage for one or the other based off of the home of where they. Find Themselves for, their, athletics it's big twelve, PERIOD so even playing FIELD i think next year byu, becomes a full share. MEMBER maybe the year after, i, think it's next year though so they'll both be able to have the same share of, the spoils from the conference which, is in A, good place Not The. Sec not the, big ten we know that and maybe at some point that, will become a different reality, because this is a, sport namely in college, football but also a, landscape namely in college athletics that continues to shift under our feet, and will, Continue to change and honestly i've come to an area of radical acceptance for those of you that love therapy that the only consistent with all this stuff will be, changed and will be chaos and we'll be, lawsuits and will be appeals and we'll all clutch our pearls over certain, things during The off season and Then august comes and then saturday's in the, fall, come, and it's like oh yeah this is why we do the thing because this is so fun and it's so enjoyable. In so many different, ways but the other thing, clearly THAT fell into place as i talked about, when it actually went down that has really shifted, this entire area of momentum Clearly In the direction of brigham young, at least as of now, at least. As of today is nil is the ability to write checks for young men and young women that you want to. Come PLAY sports free institution and i do view this whenever there's news That comes Down like an aja, DE bonsa or a writer i do View this as something that utah has, to look at and say how do? We get some of? That what do we do and it's. MUCH easier said than done i can pontificate on. Possibilities on this RADIO show, As much as i want i'm Not an Administrator, at The University, Of utah Not Mark, carlin i'm not taylor randall both of, whom are very, Capable leaders and you know i'm sure they'll be. Able to traverse this space but how do you answer it if you. Don't HAVE the same resources and, I let me be clear i don't know if they do. Or if they do not we're JUST Talking. About it, the lds. Church it's members the community they understand, the power of the purse, and when granted with opportunities they clearly have. Been prepared, for this moment and no your tithing dollars are not. GOING to pay these players i know we have to be very clear about certain things that. JUST get people so weird i understand that. THE church isn't doing this i, understand this isn't tithing money but what it is IS checks written by powerful byu alumni and boosters. THAT care about the program, i CONTINUE to reference this and i also want To be Very clear because i'm SURE i'll be aggregated AS i am. Every time i say this this information came to me about, A year ago or SO a little less that byu had ELEVEN seven figure. DONORS while utah had three i don't know what the, up TO date number is and i don't have any. DOCUMENTS to back that Up i don't have any Grandma Requests or whatever the chris camaradi's or on. Faulks of the world do this was just told TO me by somebody who i will. Tell you would absolutely know, So IF that's the reality if byu right now is operating with the different sort of, power of the Purse, Resources economic ability than utah utah has to find a way to even that playing field. Because the pendulum has shifted it just. Has for a long time it was In The direction of the UNIVERSITY utah because of their p FIVE at the time now p Four advantage of, being A pack twelve. School while byu was independent it clearly caused a chasm between the two athletic departments and, clearly The two football teams where, utah was the dominant side, not just head to head, But From a macro viewpoint rose BOWLS packed twelve championships and Byu Was in like The Potato bowl or. The hawaii bowl or whatever it was playing for nothing against teams, that more often, than not weren't very good and it was hard to. Measure where they were at it WAS hard to measure where byu was at because the schedule was really really bad for the, most part UMass and such and they just weren't tested week in and week out against some of the class teams in college football because they did. Not Have a conference home so tom and his daft did his best to. Get the scheduling dialed in they GET a good deal with espn so they can at least have a television platform and, the support of that network and that COMPANY was big to help byu tread water until, they found a conference home which Was. Always the goal of tom he was. Very front facing about, it, he was never like, yeah this independent thing rules we. Want to do this Forever There. Is ONLY one notre dame and i always laughed at the hubris OF certain members of the byu community who believed that they. Could, exist on. That level, well you. Couldn't you tried you didn't you were never, going to be able to. And no one, else could By The.
Speaker 3: Way.
Speaker 1: There's One notre dame okay so tom. Was never long for independence. There wasn't anything he wanted he at some point was very adamant, about finding a, landing spot which They Did. Which, was the big twelve now there were several mitigating, factors, that led to that okay but it doesn't matter. What the avenue looked like the whole point. Is what the destination manifested and THAT is a Home for, byu in the big twelve so tested week in and week out now against some of the. Best, teams in the Country No it's not THE, big ten or the sec but. It is what it is it's a good home for now. Until the next shift comes now that the playing field was even when the two schools were invited into THE same conference after the pac twelve falls right. In front of our eyes utah jump ship and they are probably a little bit fortunate to get the landing spot, they were able To receive which is WHY Mark's comments after, the byu utah football game we're like fingernails on a. Chalkboard for so many people so. Not even, the playing field but NOW what has really given byu this advantage is the ability to pay these kids and do not listen to. THE spin that's. Coming out i love it. It, makes me so happy yes paying these players is part of the reason that they HAVE. Decided to play For byu i'm sure Aj debonsa wouldn't. Live in Provo For nothing i'm sure ryder lions is receiving. A very nice nil CHECK it's. Not about the byu experience. It's not about developing character it's about, a number of different, things, one OF which is now why byu has this massive Advantage, in the moment over, utah which is deep pockets in. The power of the purse and Really the onus. Is, on utah to answer now we don't know what it's, gonna look like this year and We don't know what rider lines is gonna look. LIKE in, twenty twenty seven i mean How many big time recruits like big time. Recruits have never panned out. It happens all the. Time, these Are young people okay so, i'm not anointing anybody today but if, we're honest about the situation, over the past few years the MOMENTUM, has shifted down to Byu and now. It's on utah to answer we'll see what they do and we'll see. What the results bear out the great thing about sports. Is we have a scoreboard. We have a final score we actually have a way. To tally winners and losers it is. The ultimate zero some game but we'll see what THE results bear out for byu because the momentum certainly. Is heading in that direction so if you think, THE track is a banger i will encourage you to go to YouTube and look Up The. Music video FOR jericho road this is I? Believe?
Speaker 3: It's?
Speaker 1: Inside of me porter correct is that? The name of, this track.
Speaker 2: That's The correct correct name Jerich. Co wrote inside of me.
Speaker 1: It's a good DAY. To HAVE a little jr as i, call them on the program because it's a big day FOR. Our friends down at byu but, The Voice, of the youths, Bill. Riley is our guest riles are you properly pumped up after? THAT track bringing you in.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 7: The name of that track i'm a little troubled by the name of that track based, on the, Boy band themselves but Yes i'm quite thrilled that porter was able to.
Speaker 3: Find that, banger for us fair enough.
Speaker 1: Fair enough For Old. School Bill And spence fan somehow jericho road became intertwined into our program back. In the Mid Two, thousands our Producer jason shepherd who WORE GENE, SCHWORTZS now with byu.
Speaker 3: Tv.
Speaker 1: I think was responsible, bill, we've landed on that right. That's, How that went down yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm. Pretty sure it was there Were You more of An Abe mills or A Brett bryce or a, dave kimball guy.
Speaker 1: Their names that's a level i'm.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 1: Prepared to go to bill. You just looked that up there's no way you knew that off. The top of your.
Speaker 3: Head there MIGHT be a wikipedia. Page, i, was looking At.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well shout, Out jericho wrote all right ryles look highly touted. Recruits OFTENTIMES never work out So I don't know what rider lions is GOING, to look like for byu but it IS a big day for byu, football fans in the program as they have dialed in one of THE, top five according to espn one of the top five quarterback recruits of. THE twenty twenty six class i don't know if this is The. Football equivalent of aj debonsa that's Kind of the spin that i've heard from a LOT. Of people that cover byu but it really does bring IN a larger topic that i was excited To have you on the rundown today because you'd be good, with this, as YOU know you know The pap twelve ADVANTAGE that utah had over byu when they were independent really allowed coach with to build a program that was dominant over its rival. For a, generation playing fields even now isn't it? Feels a little bit different do you think this is a sign of the times or what's your reaction to The news? Coming, OUT of provo today well i mean.
Speaker 3: IT'S obviously, a good git i mean you'll land a kid that's, As highly rated as that. That's that's a good, git, YOU hit on it though i, mean in the football world there's as many hits as there are miss probably more, misses with highly touted quarterbacks probably more in football, than there are in basketball, because, at least in BASKETBALL spence you have the aau circuit where. You're playing against like competition if you were asking me who's more Likely to be the hit ajdbansa or the kid that they, GOT the commitment from today I, would probably lean to bansa JUST simply because basketball projections i think. Are, EASIER than football projections plus i think this young man is going to be going out on a mission for a couple of years. And coming back to play. So we'll see what happens, But, BACK to the question yeah i think getting out of the realm.
Speaker 7: Of Independence and getting in a power four LEAGUE has certainly been a i don't know if it, completely levels the playing field but it feels like the playing field is a whole lot more level than it was, three or.
Speaker 3: Four, years ago, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah and look it's. A twenty, twenty six class you know as of now the up to day rankings, this Is two four seven as utah Is at sixty nine. And BYU's, At twenty seven excuse me by's at thirty one with the news today that bumps, them up to thirty one and these, Are all just you know i've always rolled my eyes of the arbitrary nature of the ranking system Because we know that coach witt and his staff have made a living of developing players that weren't necessarily highly regarded coming out OF high. School INTO oftentimes nfl players but i wonder how you would articulate or simply add some color and context Of the conversation about whether utah is in the place that they need to be in with the collective and the nils and the supports in the community that it appears By US very much in.
Speaker 3: Bill i, think, From.
Speaker 7: A football, SIDE absolutely spence i mean i think we saw ON the basketball side that byu, has got very deep pockets not just for this state but frankly for. The landscape of college basketball, BUT on The football side i think utah is.
Speaker 3: In as good a position as they've been in and. Probably, As good a position again i'm, not PRIVY to the numbers but i talk to People around the program and i've not gotten any sense that they don't have all the.
Speaker 7: Resources they need to, COMPETE and to be fair, i mean it's you know. There's different levels, to this there's the elite elite programs that have deep. Pockets AND resources and Things but i think both utah and. By you're in, good Position and you know again i'm not able, to comment specifically on recruits but in this recruiting cycle over, THE last couple of days i think both programs have done.
Speaker 3: Very well going after guys last week was a big Weekend of Visitors, for the university of utah and based on some of the reports that have come out from some of the recruiting services. And people to cover it over, the last couple Of days it looks like utah's. Had A good time too.
Speaker 7: So i've Not gotten any sense that utah doesn't have.
Speaker 3: The resources, they need to Be competitive especially. WITHIN the big twelve conference i think WHEN you dip Into the, SEC and the big ten i think you see programs with maybe. A bigger financial bank role but In the WORLD to both, UTAH and Byu play in i think. Utah's every bit is Competitive is anybody in the? Big twelve conference right.
Speaker 1: Now do you ever get the sense that there is A direct because the term i've been using today is every time you know a big piece of news has come OUT as a result OF byu landing, aj or byu landing writer it does feel like maybe a Shot across, the bow of utah because again back to the original point, where we started the, Conversation for a decade, plus utah simply had advantages built IN advantages because, of their pac Twelve Inclusion and also because COACH witch said no To. BYU and, yes to utah i MEAN those TWO seminal moments i think uh really were the origin of what was the birth of probably The most successful generation of utah football and probably well not probably the most successful linear Dynamic when it comes to UTAH simply being better than byu more often than, not at, Football. WHEN good good good.
Speaker 7: No i was just, gonna say this to me is a little bit like when you hire a coach and. You, win, the press conference yeah great. We've won the press conference? Well what HAPPENS after that here's What I will say about utah and they're again they're landing. Free and four star guys they're in the mix for a couple. Of five STAR guys too but what I would say is is utah's got a track record Over The entirety of the kyle whittingham era of developing players AND. Putting him in the nfl if, You want to stack numbers utah's numbers over the last twenty years of guys that have been drafted and are playing OR have played in THE. Nfl DWARF those of byu now byu this past year has won the press conference with a basketball recruit. And today a football recruit but let's see what happens, moving forward with those guys especially since we're in the football realm on, The football side, of things because to me it's great to win the, day and get that announcement and the KID goes on a national tv show. And puts a cap on but what happens once. He, gets Into the program now maybe kilani's guys down there are developing guys, better than they did before but The overall numbers still say utah, has been the better program not in the, last five or ten years but over the last, twenty years, of finding kids developing kids and THEN. Putting him in the nfl and if you want, to look, At early projections this year utahs projected to have. Two first raft offensive Linemen They weren't huge down spencer fino was pretty highly touted, coming out Of, high school but tayleab blome who was just a good middle of. The Road three star recruit tao Johnson another kid out of idaho that was. Another one of those kids but he's being projected as a, nice draft pick as well maybe not first. Round but Probably second day so.
Speaker 3: And i'm.
Speaker 7: Not downplaying this at all this IS a, if you're a yu fan be thrilled because you landed. A really good recruit Today but, if you're a utah Fan Your track Record With morgan Scalley And kyle Whittingham And lewis powell and jim Harding.
Speaker 3: And all these sharif shaw you found guys that are three star and four star and you've developed and made them better AND. Put them, in the nfl to me that's more important than winning the press. Conference or winning the day with, THE recruiting side of.
Speaker 1: It i agree with that, and to, Underscore Your point you know ryder lyons is THE highest rated quarterback That Buyu as signed since ben olsen, in two thousand and. Two which, just didn't. Work you know he transferred he HE. Never panned out at byu so your POINT is well taken and. I certainly AGREE with that the question, i, was going to ask though is do you get a feel up there at all talking to people That days like this are announcements like this do indicate maybe there's a little bit of a change of momentum and they take it as a shot. Across the bow at all does it? RESONATE up there at, all I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so because i think their laser focused on.
Speaker 7: The guys. They're going, after they weren't you know it wasn't Like it WAS down to utah and byu on the. Young man that COMMITTED today he Was. Looking I think at oregon so i think it's a little bit more personal when it's a head to head battle, and you lose That battle.
Speaker 3: Whether you're in provo or. Up HERE on the hill but i don't get a sense that an announcement like today's is really, a shot across, The bow because you know utah was looking at for. Guys, that, in that, space okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah fair enough fair enough it's just always interesting. TO juxtapose the two scenarios i guess we can move over to the space because. YOU can't Talk about recruits i have utah's, twenty twenty six recruits up so you kind of elaborated on what you perceived to be some. Positive momentum for this class but we can put twenty twenty six aside and just kind of hone in on, where we're at right now. In the here, and now and you know we visited with. You not too long Ago but here's here's, how I'LL ask a, question because i you, know whether it's text Messages obviously a lot of, UTAH fans in my ecosystem yu fans. In the family as well what would you say as the voice of the utes as somebody who now works full time up there two ute fans that do feel like, there is a genuine concern this undercurrent of genuine concern that maybe the. Momentum, is shifting.
Speaker 7: Down south well let's see how it. Plays out, On the Field you, Know utah got you know utah was beaten a. Year ago BY b one you and i know they've. Lost the last two matchups but last year you were playing. A little shorthanded to quarterback let's see how the next. Couple OF years play out if byu starts in on a run where, they win, three to four you, know seasons in a.
Speaker 3: Row then MAYBE that swung but.
Speaker 7: But i haven't seen that last, year was a close game a, controversial game in some ways but it was a one Possession game late and again utah was, was pretty deficient on offense, AND still in, that game, i, would say you know again people that weren't, a here and now society and everybody. Wants IT here And now BUT i don't. HERE'S what i Will say i. DON'T think utah has, Fallen i think you know utah had a run of bad injuries and. BAD luck A year ago i think utah's program. Still IN a good PLACE what i think is byus ascended a little bit up From where. They WERE pre big twelve so i think what you're seeing is a little bit OF an. Ascension OF the byu program But i don't feel. LIKE utah's program has dipped i feel like they had a bad run of injuries at, quarterback the last two seasons but even a Season two Seasons ago with bryce and barnes, at quarterback who, was okay he wasn't great but they still. MANAGED to win eight games i think that was a, testament to coaching the defense. A lot of Other things so for the utah. Fans it, MIGHT be concerned oh man I don't feel like the utah program, has dipped in. ANY way shape or form i do feel like the rival has made some improvements and built upon being in, A Powerful conference though.
Speaker 1: Well and i'm also one bill that, believes that's a good thing and that's not just a self serving media thing to Use the term that doctor hill dropped on all of. This once UPON a time that's where i, believe THAT iron sharpens iron and i believe a little bit of pressure from the school, that whether, you like it or. NOT everybody measures you against i actually perceive it to BE a good thing because i believe. Healthy competition Can breed results that's. Where, I'M at with it, No.
Speaker 7: I think, YOU'RE right spence i mean i think when your, chief rival is getting better it makes you puts you a. Little bit more on alert and, they were always a rival but now they're a, rival in the conference again so that puts you on a little bit more heightened alert because they're not just a. Rival who's forty miles away they're now a, rival who's forty miles away who's in the same league and competing for a lot of the.
Speaker 3: Same guys on recruiting.
Speaker 1: Trail so when you know when you've had the opportunity at this point to continue to prepare and we're all going to be a big twelve media day here and coming up a little, bit and, at some point you Know we're sitting here in june trying to pontificate on what the Conference will Look, like in august and september which oftentimes. Is an exercise and futility do you feel like you have a, good handle as of Now Whether it's reading the phil steele stuff or reading the preseason expectations or conversations you have with your peers around the, conference about just generally speaking how this, is going to play out whether or not it will be a little bit of a cannibalistic conference, where a bunch, of good maybe no great teams. Beat up on each other do you feel like you have A good handle on what big twelve football is going. TO look like next year.
Speaker 6: I don't have.
Speaker 3: A great handle on it i don't see anybody on paper that jumps out at Me as great as say. National CHAMPIONSHIP can tender great but i think this league could have, multiple PLAYOFF teams this year and i, DO think to your point i think there could BE some cannibalization because because i think that there's a lot of teams. THAT are on that side i don't know that there's one elite team or two. ELITE teams in This League, I think the Arizona, STATES i think The, utah's I Think, the Byus, The Iowa states the baylors texas tech may be the, Most interesting team for me spence because they.
Speaker 7: SPENT a lot of money i heard that they spent in the neighborhood of twenty. Five million dollars on football they've got crazy Boosters With, oil money in west texas and this was a team that was six. And three a year, ago they return a quarterback they spent a lot. Of Money in the portal so i'm going to be really Interested To see. HOW good Texas Tech is i think kansas. STATE'S going To be good i think kansas could be A Wild card because the jalen daniels kid has been in, and out of the lineup, but if he. Stays HEALTHY he's pretty.
Speaker 3: Dynamic so i want to. Get a little bit closer i'm KIND of like you when i get down get a better feel of it when you're kind of boots on, the ground talking to people and, have a sense you know right before camp begins. What THESE teams look like but i don't have a great feel for who the definitive best. TEAM in the league is i think there's a pot of about four or five or six teams. That all might get there so.
Speaker 1: You taught football thirty nine additions during the, siding period in transfer window. And we Talked about, this that ranks UTAH football according to what i Read as far, as a big twelve preview is among. The lowest in returning production some. YEARS that would be bad i don't know if it's bad this year when it comes to the downs and. They suffered a year ago coach with himself during the springball talking about kind of the renewed positive. Energy in the locker room but, here's my question for you as you're. Making your way around town when you throw, the card the cardboard down, you do, your head spin your breakdance and you're doing the bill thing. Whatever it is you do what's what are some of the main questions you get from the community. About curiosity concerning the team what are some of the topics and feedback You Get from people around salt lake and the Surrounding area. That, care about utah.
Speaker 7: Football well Everybody asks about devin. Damp here and the quarterback they. Want to know about him they want to, know how good?
Speaker 3: He is what's.
Speaker 7: HIS potential stuff like that i Spoke To A Group last friday old dominion trucking and they were having A big lunch in and i spoke to, them about the football program and everybody Wants to know about, damp here and you? Know what does he do? How dynamic is he and they want to know who the backup quarterback, is going to be because as we've, seen the last two years the backup quarterback has Played a Lot, at THE university of utah and i think that's to be an Interesting Battle this Fall Between. Isaac wilson, And bird fickland you know. Isaac's Got experience in games bird fickland's probably a body type prototype of what you know fits. The offense very very well but he's. An eighteen year old freshman he's never played a. Down OF real.
Speaker 3: College football and I think the other question i get a ton of spence is who are? Going to be the playmakers who's. GOING to catch the football.
Speaker 7: I Was just talking to jason Beck The other day and mike simon the other day, who's the wide receivers coach and they both said that's going to be decided in the first. Two weeks of fall camp they've got an idea of some of who those, some of those guys are but two of the guys that might be those guys got. Here In the Spring portal larry Simmons from southern Miss. And merriweather from from california those are two guys that. They think could be it but they didn't mean, Practice WITH the team yet so i think.
Speaker 3: That's probably the.
Speaker 7: Biggest question people ask THEM probably the, biggest question, i have is you know the running game. Is going to be fine, Their offensive line is. Stella the quarterbacks really good they've got a good kind of stable of Running Backs, led by way shawn parker so they're going to be. Able to run the football but when, they have to throw it who are? Going to be those guys and that question, just HASN'T been answered yet and i don't think it's going to be answered for a. Couple of weeks of camp on the, defensive side of the football everybody, wants to know about upfront who's.
Speaker 3: Going To rush the passer logan fano. Is one of those guys but then.
Speaker 7: They've got a bunch of red shirt freshmen and sophomores who. They're COUNTING pretty heavily on so i don't worry about that part so much Because, it always feels like utah even in their worst years defensively.
Speaker 3: Are good and in their. Best. YEARS they're really good upfront i, think they like the talent it just doesn't, have a ton, of experience but they're deep so it'll be interesting to me Who, kind of plays opposite afano who's back from the knee injury.
Speaker 7: At one hundred percent now he was kind of playing his. Way through it, last year linebackers, are good secondary is good but upfront probably so it's probably playmakers and defensive line are. My two kind of questions but that's what the same thing. People are asking me about, Who's going to catch passes we're going to?
Speaker 3: Throw to the tight end? What's going?
Speaker 1: To go on all right the schedule was released For Men's basketball and the big twelve is elected to trim the schedule in order to make for. More non conference scheduling options do you like that or would you just prefer to see the same Conference schedule that we've seen.
Speaker 3: For me if you. CAN get some good games i liked it last year having those twenty games Because It was, two more Big Twelve games and the big twelve is one of the. Best conferences, in the country you.
Speaker 7: KNOW it's hard to schedule i, think some coaches like it. Some coaches, don't like it for me if you're going to give, Me two extra conference games.
Speaker 3: I'm good with it because A lot of programs And i'm saying not saying utah is because they're finishing up their. Non conference schedule right now but when you play At A, conference like the big twelve you know you're going to have a team that's probably at minimum a top, one Hundred net, ranked team sometimes top. Fifty Sometimes top twenty five so i've always been in.
Speaker 7: Favor of more conference games so the fact that, Going to eighteen is fine i'm. Going to be real curious it'll probably be to be done in the next couple of weeks what the non. Conference schedule will look like but if you gave me, The choice between the two i'd say give. Me two more, Conference games what, About you.
Speaker 1: I'm with YOU and ultimately it's Because i don't believe and I'm not, saying this about utah, specifically more often than not non conference schedules in college basketball don't tell you anything about the team because most coaches want to play cakewalks to. Get THEM ready for conference so i say. More conference, games, the better that's me yeah because.
Speaker 7: You're then playing for something you're. Playing for Your Conference standings but the big twelves elected, to go back to eighteen so that's. WHAT we'll see this year i am excited about Getting to go to fog allen to, call a game this Year To give you to kansas state to. Call a game this Year I've never Been, to Texas tech at lubbock but i've heard they, get great crowds in there and they spend a ton of money on nil and they've they've had good teams. The last couple of years so that'll be fun.
Speaker 3: To go to those places.
Speaker 1: Wondering, since you brought, that up, YOU know Initially and yes. I know i'm a, snob i. Will own IT you know you and i discussed the different dynamic, of Travel for youth fans Juxtaposing pac twelve. Markets to big twelve markets now that you've had, a little bit and, look you're from that area it's like you're familiar with it in the way that most of us. Just are not at all but how do you think that transition has? Been for, the fan base you KNOW we were talking to I, can't remember who were oh WE. Were, discussing this with jb long who's, still doing some college football Our buddy from the old PAC twelve. Network who calls rams games there's always, this THING that people say, and i say it, TOO where regardless, of house, ncaa. Nil transfer portal lawsuits appeals saturday's in The fall still feel, like saturday's in the fall But They. Probably don't to oregon State They, probably don't to washington state and they feel a little. Bit different for youth fans if for a decade PLUS we're used to the pac Twelve Brands the, HOME of west, coast football i mean here and the ability to Take A week trip to los angeles or wherever to enjoy some Of these markets that the Pac twelve had that. The big twelve just doesn't but Now That we, have some big twelve experience how do you think things like travel and experience in different markets have landed with a community that simply was used to something. DIFFERENT for over a decade.
Speaker 7: I think it's still adjusting I think a lot of utah fans last year Made that trip to still water because it was one of the few kind of name Trips On the schedule and oklahoma state's got a Good Pedigree in history and. Boone pick and stadiums good, But and to be fair utah was still playing good football at. THAT point in time too i think there's going, to, be an adjustment, period spence because you Know The stops in the pac, twelve were in big cities and they. Were Easy To Get. To from salt lake city they Were A, single flight To, los angeles or To Seattle or to The. Bay area or to. Phoenix, you could get There really some of these big twelve trips. Are a little bit harder it's a it's a flight and then. A RENTAL car hop Someplace but i think once utah kind of goes through, it a couple of times a couple of kind, of rounds around the block and fans begin to make, some trips like this year Maybe, some people, DECIDE to hey You know i want To, I've Never, been to morgantown west virginia. And that's a great say it's not a place, that's easy to Get to but. It's a rabbit fan base that would. Be a Pretty, interesting trip by, to pittsburgh you drive down or maybe you decide you, want to, go to uh you know you Want. To go down to kansas so even if It is the day after thanksgiving and see the New Stadium and fly into kansas city and. DO some of that stuff i just think it's going to take A couple of years for utah fans to kind of recalibrate where they were because they got spoiled with, easy trips to name places, and to be very Fair, we're west to THE rockies AND places Like ucla And usc and washington And oregon were places where utah would venture every couple, of years or every decade. BUT they were familiar places i don't Get a sense that the midwest schools Are nearly as familiar to utah fans because it's just kind of a different. Geographic PART of the country so i get the same thing from a lot, of, people, THAT are like ah, MAN i miss going, Here I miss going there and i get it because there's also Good Memories associated with The rose bowl and the. COLISEUM and some fun games i think it's just kind of recalibrating and learning. Some OF these new opponents but i think it'll take a couple of, Years TO get there probably, and i.
Speaker 1: Said, THIS earlier like no matter i don't know how long it will take for me to be able to. Say you to A Microphone the home of west coast, football crumbled right, before eyes brick by, brick and not so like how? The Hell did that happen and i'm not one to sit here and place blame and believe that's. The way to do it we've all got to move. On and accept the reality but have you moved on from all of that or is there still part of you that, looks, back and you're like well how the? Hell, did that go.
Speaker 7: Down well that's part of me that's disappointed at. THE way, it went down i Mean it just is because utah was a very small part Of the, HISTORY of, The pac ten, pac eight pac twelve conference but it was a part of it and we got to. Experience it for thirteen years but it. Was such a Great Conference It. Represented THE western united states when i Was, growing up in the midwest You'd, look, west On a november Cold windy November day in kansas or nebraska and you'd see The sun shining in southern, california glistening off the helmets.
Speaker 3: And it was just cool but the history of that league just went poof into, the ether Because, of television because Of Fox because of the big ten basically coming in. And poaching it was money and at, the end, of the, Day it's sad and yeah, i've, moved on from it certainly but it was it was just such a cool Chapter of my, career and utah's you know football. And basketball and.
Speaker 7: Sports history it's a shame But Imagine that you're an Oregon State fan. Or A washington state fan but i won't even say That's it's imagine YOU'RE a. WASHINGTON or a usc fan i know plenty. Of friends that are fanan they're they're glad that they're schools, are in a good conference but they're not. TRAVELING the, games very much I mean imagine you're a usc fan and you've Got to go Play. In minneapolis in late october there's. No real grab to that but When, you went to play stanford Or, you went to play Washington Or You, came to salt lake city there was a. Little BIT more to it so, i think everybody feels it but even the schools that landed in good places.
Speaker 1: Kind of, Feel it too All right rob's last. Thing i'll set you loose we will not go game by game at home to get your. Take on the game promotions, we will not Do. That EVEN though it's june but i Will ask You cal poly ring of honor. NIGHT if it's. Been announced i haven't heard do you have any do you have any information on who Will be Inducted in the. RING of honor, this year i.
Speaker 3: Am waiting as you are spence to hear who Will be Going into that. RING of honor as well i, Think that announcement should probably i'm. Guessing probably, Coming.
Speaker 7: Pretty soon but yeah. I'm also waiting on it who, if you had your choice who Would you Put in that. Ring of honor This.
Speaker 1: Year it's tough because ronnie. Mack's got to go in.
Speaker 7: He, would be my First Again. THIS is just bill riley i, HAVE not on a, committee I have no Say but i think coach mack is so important to the history of this program as not just an assistant, coach but a head coach but also setting the culture and making. THE rivalry A rivalry again i would I would love, to SEE mac go in and i.
Speaker 3: THINK that would be great.
Speaker 1: I think that's The answer do you. Think urban have gets.
Speaker 3: IN that's, an interesting question i, mean obviously two unbelievable years but. IT was just two years, i think if he does. IT'S a, while from, now i think you know you've got, to put, In the McBride's You know whittingham when whenever kyle decides. To retire, something like that but yeah that's that's the interesting Question Because He dominated the mountain. West conference for two years but, it was just two years but he also played an. Important role In program, HISTORY and if i'm guessing i would say probably not just because, it was. JUST two years but interesting i.
Speaker 1: Would push for it only because those two. Years changed, everything they did you know did it set the course. For where we're at now say, what you want about him and there's certain things that are fair to, Say that you know what i'm gonna have to table, that because to your. Point that's a short window but really the broader point is. Those two years changed, everything he changed, the culture the muss uh the over your. Rival AND awesome Football teams but I Think. I'LL land on ronnie mack i think. THAT'S the answer for Me.
Speaker 3: I always say that.
Speaker 7: Ronnie Mack laid The foundation urban, meyer made Utah Football cool and then kyle whittingham just established the program as a team that could compete. Nationally And win Conference championships but urban made utah football, cool for Those Two years and then.
Speaker 1: Bill riley MADE it sexy. That's what, I, always say all right ryle we'll Set you. Loose for the tuesday hit, thanks for the inside man, be good. To chat. Soon all right thanks mans bill Stops By Today, courtesy of advanced window products where you can get twenty five twenty five hundred dollars off when you. Buy ten windows Or More it's a local Salt Lake, company operated by Nate Orchard The, MAYOR of sac lake city nfl football player. Good front, Of The. Show who's buddy jake webber these are great people and. They run a great. Business so here's the. Deal the weather's, getting warm it's getting hot and if, your house is overly heated. You might need new windows and if you Don't have the proper ventilation I'm no, expert here bob yla style but YOU'RE probably jacking up the ac and. It's probably costing, your money bottom line is if you, buy ten windows or more you can save twenty five hundred dollars. If you called today now if you're gonna wait, to get the windows replaced let's say when, it's colder in the winter maybe you're gonna sell your house in. The fall when school, starts if you call today. You lock in the savings that's why you call the number today to get twenty five hundred dollars off when you. Buy ten windows or more lifetime warranties transferble to the next owner and great. People with great customer service they make, all the products in house so. They cut off the middleman you save. A bunch of money anyway advanced window products at eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred eight one eight five. Zero ninety one hundred eight can you just pick a more age appropriate song one time, You Roll? In the studio dave fox what what? Are we listening to this? Why don't you like this this reminds me of something that Would Be, on like The disney channel like after More? Than you, know FROM maxwell come.
Speaker 3: On but i.
Speaker 1: Mean just something More stuff pick. Some, Led zeppelin or something okay, I'll. TRY that next time Dave. I Do like led zeppelin dave, Fox Is Live? In studio dave?
Speaker 8: HAPPY tuesday were you sir i don't like the cave? Look you've built in here? Does this camera even? Work don't get sheets. Up don't, start, with me but okay okay.
Speaker 1: This was not my, idea as you can See based off of, what i've done BACK here this is how i do to at least provide some sort of natural light in the ko. Slash jail cave slash jail they have put us in. For four hours every afternoon.
Speaker 8: It makes you feel like you're, doing something wrong in here and we all wanted to.
Speaker 1: Be, we are let's, be clear but uh yeah. We should probably move on this is a. TOPIC of consternation around here i don't, know why we've done. It but we've done it. It's good to see you how it's great. TO be here as well i can't really see, you because it's so dark but it's. Good to be, here enough by the way he did not.
Speaker 8: SEND me a reminder today i remembered all on my, own after justly blew me after.
Speaker 1: Bailing, on us last Week yeah.
Speaker 8: And Then now i'm just like i've taken it upon myself. To just remember all this just stop.
Speaker 1: Throwing him under the bus what? Do your oft last night why are you causing problems with your weekly HiT's. A long days even started. LET'S let's talk. About it, a, LONG day tell me actually i want to know what you've like starting. FROM when you woke up i. Want to know your day if you, SAY it's a long day i want, to know what you've done got.
Speaker 8: Up THAT'S that's the question although i. Did GO to the boat, now i, want the, breakdown go ahead got up. Did one of THE pelotons? WHICH one did. I do, i don't know come on, Just, take a good bike? Nope did the tread, well you have, two going took a shower went and met a friend for lunch at a LITTLE restaurant right near. The tv station at eleven then started Two Hours. Of interviews With kent crawford shout. Out kent for a position we, have got through all, those took a quick break ran down, to pick, up some, parts came back sat down and then REALIZED it's, four, O'clock.
Speaker 1: And i thought oh I'm going to be.
Speaker 8: On SPENCE some thirty minutes SO i got up and i walked down the street because we're right, down the STREET from. You and here i. Am, that's your long day well that three hour, Interview. Process was pretty long dave some people. Actually work for, a living, You got up you.
Speaker 1: Shower that's what, that is you got up, you got, on the peloton you showered you, met a friend for, lunch did a few. Interviews and walked over here. And, that's your.
Speaker 8: Long day YEAH that is and. NOW i was getting started I got a Whole Evening. I gotta, DO talking jazz.
Speaker 1: You know i always thought that you were. A man of the people. IT'S just, not very relatable i mean if you're going to, say that's your long day you're insulting the. Hardworking, people, of our community well.
Speaker 8: Anyway you're gonna make my evening Even Better because you'll carry talking jazz ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Five about you know. What let's get a tease?
Speaker 8: What are we doing tonight it's going to be this is a, well the, DRAFTS, coming UP. Of course nhl n nba we have a Special Pre. Draft edition OF talking jazz you. And i talked last night got a lot of things, to Talk about in there and. I'm excited to do that may have you touched A little, bit on the nhl thing but we'll focus.
Speaker 1: More, on the, jazz tonight okay fair enough unexpected busy day on. A number. Of different level we've taught there have BEEN three. Trades in the nba today we, have the, draft coming up of course a lot of conversation about what the jazz. May or may not do BUT news broke today the byu has Signed one OF. The top according to. Espn there are different rankings people. Get UP in their, fields so i. LOOKED two, four, to seven i like, okay whatever. Service you USE, that's Fine according to espn rider lines is one of the top five quarterbacks of. The twenty twenty six class he is the highest RATED recruit at that position byu assigned. Since two thousand and two and we're going, to, learn a lesson here Kids Because that quarterback was ben. Olsen who didn't pan out, he went on a MISSION, ended up transferring to ucla but he was a five star. Kid back in the day we were talking off, air and to your point we are not going to see, him until twenty twenty seven and in between now and then. He will serve a mission the. Mission conversation, is, always interesting people say oh well they come back Men, and they're ready to well it's. Not really how it works but he will come back as a more mature twenty twenty one year old ready to play with four years. If he plays four years so it it does feel like this is the first football recruit that HAS been. Signed in the nil era that feels a. Little aj de bonsa ISH i've. Not seen an nil figure i'm sure that will. Be Reported at some point Jeff goodman reported the aj debonca figure of seven million dollars to play FIVE. Months of basketball for byu When you look at the baylor transfer and You Do the math with richie saunders coming back and a bunch of OTHER high, level players for byu basketball the reports are they're paying about thirteen to fifteen million dollars. FOR this roster this year i don't know. What the football number is, there's obviously far more, players so in, a Vacuum, THIS is like oh wow byu was able to lock in their, highest recruit THEY'VE. Had forever according, to espn with this addition they're now.
Speaker 8: About, a top thirty class yeah jumped up like fifteen spots with. An opportunity to move up the highest rated class they've.
Speaker 1: Ever had was. Twenty ten that was thirty so this is an opportunity for them to, have the highest rated class the highest, rated class They've ever had not. Just kialani by, football period and of story what do you make of today's tame to? HAVE going down in. Provo a couple, of.
Speaker 8: Things first of all and now the report's COMING out that the b yu did not offer Him as much money as oregon. And they still got him which is who reported THAT it's been on. A aa drew or something sources say someone who's carrying.
Speaker 1: The water forces say uh but then the second thing is.
Speaker 8: You GOT to remember this and i THINK the debans of the bonsa thing is, even wilder in my opinion because THERE is A. Connection to byu with, lions his father played. There his, sisters went there olds. Kid he's an eldest kid he's going. To go on, A mission by the way i have somewhere today i'd read something about he may.
Speaker 1: Not DO a full mission, like i saw that too like a. One year mission or no thank, you for, bringing that up because you as, a member of the community, can maybe, help me understand because look if the fourteen, MONTH thing was an option i. MIGHT have looked at you i didn't know that. WAS the deal for me i was like two years. At eight, NINETEEN years old no thanks. I got stuff to do? Is THIS the deal now like, i HAVE never heard this but.
Speaker 8: I do know this much if YOU if, YOU serve an lds mission i, mean you're not in.
Speaker 1: Prison you can COME home, Did, YOU serve i didn't dave, I was you know what i've changed. MY entire view on you.
Speaker 8: I walked into the front page disco, back in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Eight, and that was it okay. IT was over fair, enough i saw the. Dance. The, LIT dance floor fairness anyway i did not. Know that was a thing but. YOU certainly have that prerogative i don't what do you mean. Just, coming home and bouncing well sure they can't force.
Speaker 8: You, to NOT come home sure but i just want to know that conversation when you go in to meet with, your, ECCLESIASTICAL, leader AND say oh fyi, As i put these in i'm going to be popping, out at about fourteen. Twelve Fourteen months or, something BUT i've heard this and i don't know. Where THAT'S going to go but i. Found, that very very interesting man what a can of?
Speaker 3: Worms?
Speaker 1: That, Would open up huh porter can you effort sources at the church office building to help us understand why some kids are Serving fourteen months and other.
Speaker 8: I'm not, saying so the kids are But this kid's about, TO it, sounds like MAYBE.
Speaker 2: I, mean from what i understand, AND you, guys, know this i mean technically technically.
Speaker 1: This, Is, a voluntary mission. Well yeah that's my point you you can.
Speaker 3: Serve.
Speaker 2: These based on certain, dates it's just you, know part of the culture part of the norm to. Do, it for two years yeah but there, are female eight months apparently no rules to, shortening it for different circumstances even.
Speaker 1: IF you're not an athlete i just don't. Know if it gets. ONE that's a good point i.
Speaker 8: Just don't, think anyone's thought of it because it's just it's just been.
Speaker 1: Two years for a century it might be kind of brilliant if. His, kid's a, great Quarterback Hey you know like steve young always talked about how when, he considered serving a mission his ecclesiastical leaders encouraged him to pursue football because he could make a, massive difference, for the church YOU know. Being a great nfl. Player here's what we'll do I'M sure we have several lds. Leaders listening to the show you want to get one, of, Them, TO call in right well i want them to call in to tell porter we don't. Have callers on the show we're. Not that kind of show you can call in at eight seven seven three five three zero. Seven, hundred or text us okay what's the deal with this new dynamic where if, you can throw a. Football, You're only fourteen months yeah and do you have to let him know in advance or can you? Just when you've hit that do you give? Him a two weeks notice or do you send him to a mission where you know the MISSION president is a huge byu, football maybe and you're like just. RELEASE him after fourteen months i don't, think THAT'S how that works but i could know. How any of this works, this is by the way did you know church? Is only two hours now. It's, just, rand new religion. Yeah yeah you'd love it. Now, you should come, back well first. Of all let's, calm down second of all my son had a friend who was leaving on a mission. A couple of years ago, to your mission, or NO to your mission but, i, can remember he's like yeah my BUDDY. Just left for the mtc and then like, Two, Weeks later he's like hey i'm going to HAVE dinner at he's doing Mtc at his house and i'm going. To HAVE dinner with, him and i. Was LIKE wait a, second when i was young when your, friend went on, a, mission you, Were like well he's dead. I'll never. See him. Again that's over like, you you could write letters. And that's kind of, it there was no, email there's no face. Side there's no phone call it's like. An entirely different cultural experience my grandson did that when he went out to. Less than, a year ago and yeah the, first four weeks or. Whatever he was at.
Speaker 8: Home and get this generations, my he calls my daughter his.
Speaker 1: Mother.
Speaker 8: Calls him every week, now when you were younger and when my, son went out years ago you, Got two Calls A.
Speaker 1: Year christmas and mother's. Day you.
Speaker 8: Were in jail, that's it now they call. THEY talk every single week i always give. A, Bad, time about.
Speaker 1: THAT probably no it's. GOOD i think it's. Good i think it's positive like the mental, toll it probably would take probably help keep him. Out, THERE away from, everybody, Yeah, i truly remember like okay. Friend went on A mission, i'm never gonna i thought that's never. Gonna talk, to him again, and oftentimes by the, way that is what happened because you go. On, and do different things. Anyway we got completely doled.
Speaker 8: But, to some things up yes HERE there's a connection to.
Speaker 1: Byu with him that did.
Speaker 8: Not exist with the bands the fact that it's that there are reports out there that he's making less Than he would be at oregon doesn't shock me in THE least because.
Speaker 1: OF what i just said i just think. THAT'S the way it is i don't think you.
Speaker 8: CAN make the same comparison i think the sports world was Turned upside down when de bansa. MADE that proclamation on television i think we all a. Lot of people were stunned he.
Speaker 1: Did It ON. First take and steven a. Smith thought, he was crazy he's? Like what, do you mean he's? LIKE what do you he i think, he thought he was skiddy as if it wasn't. A serious piece of news but this is. Not the case.
Speaker 8: With lines it wasn't it i'm not trying to mission this is A, huge get for byu is but it doesn't shock. Me that they got him it just It, fits so good. For kilane good for them and these things always, kind of cracked me up because here's. The basketball and football ball football does take a little more time before you really.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 8: WHAT they're, Made Up now i mean Isaac wilson came to be utah immediately and then he gets thrust it right into it and we see how.
Speaker 1: Difficult that was, for him the ban say is only.
Speaker 8: Gonna be there one year we're gonna know everything about him in no time and.
Speaker 1: Then he's gonna, be gone yes like that and we kind of already do because he's. Such a well known kid, your point's a Good one BECAUSE you. KNOW ryder has byu connections aj has been on the radar of basketball people for three years and HE played a little high i don't know what to call what he did here at the school did apparently academy he's an accreditation before they're. Actually anyway, he played here but ultimately WHEN it comes to the i don't know, where you've read the information the rider's not GETTING as much money from byu as he Did. As he would for oregon But there's.
Speaker 3: In a d. News.
Speaker 1: Article look it, up stunning You Don't Say did the provo? Daily herald coroborate the sources you got to be hidden. Me because here's the deal let maybe he's getting. A few hundred thousand less he's not getting a tremendous amount Less. Than he would from oregon. IT was the same thing, i agree with you that But the narrative about de, Bonsen was the Same thing like oh b yu Didn't Step up, the way, north, Caroll Like stop it okay jeff goodman seven million dollars. FOR five months of basketball i don't understand why there is this like reluxed Reluctance to just embrace what i'll perceive to, be, your uncomfortable truth that yes you are. Paying these kids top. Dollar do your victory lap it's a GOOD thing. If you're a, Byu, fan why the pushback well they're framing it. As a whole new style you. NEED to read the Article i. Know, you're not desert news yeah let me get rid.
Speaker 8: Of they're framing it as a whole new. Style Of Recruiting and selling did? DICK harmon read the. Article i didn't even? Read who read? The article selling the culture and you.
Speaker 1: Know, those kind of things, yeah and you know what and process and, writing a massive nil chef all.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 1: Things can be.
Speaker 8: True spans it would not surprise me if He. Is getting Less than oregon but not, you're right to. Your point not substantially less if one team's offering let's just, throw out, an easy number ten million and, the everte is. Offering one that's a problem, but if it's you know a couple hundred grand off of multimillions probably.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really mean that much let. Me pull up this ARTICLE oh you? Know what i? Just saw who wrote. It i'm not reading that. That's, just he's carrying. Water okay like THAT'S dumb but. Here's where I wanted to. Here's what i WANT to but here's what i want. To talk to, you about because you, Know for a decade plus utah HAD. An innate advantage over. Byu and it was, this it was actually. Two, It was two tiered okay i've always said this the two Biggest seminal moments. For the Utah football program or this Kyle's Saying no it was Alma, mater and yes to Utah and then getting THE pac twelve, invite WHERE, byu did not and byu in a reactionary, move because it was. Reactionary elected to go independent throughout the course, Of those two Journey paths utah under coach wit was able to build the dominant program and dominated. Their rival for a generation because of that Advantage and because, of who kyle is Now they're. Both in the big twelve there's no advantage, one Way or the other except utah Is a. Full member and BYU's not. They will be next year they're, both in the SAME conference they, Both have p four access but it feels like the momentum is shifted down south as a result of the lds understanding of, the power of the purse, the members of the community and their understanding of how you can utilize that when the. Opportunity is presented to you the opportunity opportunity has not been PRESENTED and these powerful lds byu alums that have built big companies and MLMs and have cashed in to make a lot of money are now writing checks to support the athletic department that they, Love and that TO me dave has GIVEN byu an Advantage that i don't.
Speaker 8: Know utah has right, now and especially with basketball that's clear, because you hit that now what were you around thirteen million dollars or thirteen to fifteen off.
Speaker 1: Vestimates, for this year's roster yes and not to mention, where they're paying their coach who they just signed. TO a, massive contract extension i mean they still have to go out. On the court, AND deliver, but that team i mean it's, it's it's, They're stacked there They're loaded they're gonna be it's not gonna be that difficult to at least put a really competitive team. On, THE on the floor football i think.
Speaker 8: Is a little bit different you, have to, have, more players you know really you know that to.
Speaker 1: Make a team, a.
Speaker 8: Winner, and you, know we'll see you know the uth aren't. Having a terrible, recruiting year by the way they sign Said The SAFETY from tim.
Speaker 1: Fu nali i they got he.
Speaker 8: JUST committed, today AS well i Mean grant I, A great he's not lions. He's not at, that level but you know it'd be very soon to see when they start lining up and playing. How it, all pans out but. Yeah here's the funny thing Remember when they first signed dabansa and and they started talking about next YEAR'S team and all the nim money and then there was. A thought of a win are? They going to help football well that didn't take. Long IF that's The case but i still i'm going. To revert Back to this while, this lion's thing is huge they had a big advantage and more power TO them to get, an lds kid, who's great who's you know a top five quarterback and has a father who played down there and FAMILY members who went to, byu that that. Right there you haven't advantage all you really have to do, is not screw. That up, and it didn't and no.
Speaker 1: It's a really, GOOD point and you know byu has always kind of relied upon being able to attract as MANY as the top shelf lds. Talented kids as they can now they're never going. To attract all of them BECAUSE you can have An lds Experience, at the, university of utah you know you can have YOU can actually have an lds experience in a lot of places now in a way that you. Couldn't back in the day because the footprint. Of, the church has grown obviously there are ward. Houses all, over the place you know there's An institute Up. At the UNIVERSITY of utah but the byu experience IS unique juxtaposed any other lds. Experience you could have elsewhere there will always be. Kids who just want that AND there's been enough successful byu athletes who are now having children generation after generation that they will be raised. In kind of that ecosystem and, if you just want. That you just want that but you can't just rely. On getting all of them, BUT a kid like This I, Said This, about britain covey BRITAIN, covey like if You're Byu you cannot let britain. Covey out of your backyard and a kid like this like if you CAN lock, in the best lds talent you can throw punches with any of the. Best schools in the country you. Can't Only rely. On it and colonnie doesn't but, this does, Feel Significant today quite frankly and i'm. Not diminishing that.
Speaker 8: At ALL it, absolutely does like i mean, we got to be patient wait and see when he.
Speaker 1: Gets out on the field but and.
Speaker 8: You don't think about this You Get, a call from danny ainge You Get, A Call, from taysom hill steve young and.
Speaker 1: That's in the, same article by the. WAY you did. READ it i knew. It, I was on tour look. I very much DID not i promise. You I didn't read it so i Just Tried to at the desk news website and my computer gave. Me the middle of, crash it just was? Like what are you doing. It doesn't work for me that would be great if it.
Speaker 8: DID that instead of crashed. I, don't have access anyway yeah there's just a lot of things Working in their Favor and i'm, happy for. Kilanie for sure you know and it's gonna be a lot of fun to see. Where it goes from here and. Don't forget this could snoway you talked about. Them being at thirty one now their highest. Class ever, was ranked thirty but this these kind of things tend to, you have a snowball effect and we'll.
Speaker 1: See, What happens, TO it yeah and look i, want to be very clear what honestly is offensive to. Me is when people lie i'm. Not even saying you're. Denying you're lying to me when you say it's not about the, nil checks that you're. Writing you're lying to me and when it says not about the POWER of the purse that byu has and they're utilizing. And CAPITALIZING on this opportunity but i KNOW it's Not. Only that i love kalani he's, A Friend Of. The show ay rod jay they, have a great coaching staff they have, a great game day experience, they have a great history and they. Do have A great CULT sure and writer and aj will develop as People and Young. Men under kevin and klonnie but don't tell me that intertwined into the tapestry is not. The checks that YOU'RE writing it just is i don't know why we have to deny that where it has to rely on COLUMNS from a b y U reporter from the d news that is carrying water for the school that. Is owned by the church you don't.
Speaker 6: The.
Speaker 1: Church, school brought that up oh it's just easy to draw the, Lines and what's happening here like do they get phone calls to say please write this?
Speaker 8: TO distract a phone call. I think it's just innate.
Speaker 1: They own the school in the paper man like it's the. SAME thing, IT is anyway i mean. I really struck a nerve i think we're. Going to change tonight's show we're going to talk more about don't be. Writing practices of the News just don't tell Me i'm. Not seeing. WHAT i'm seeing it's insulting i. Get what you're saying there there may be a, little bit of difference there but it's. Not the focus of this tell ME this by any before i set you loose and. We'll get one more Teas do You Feel like utah and utah athletics are in at least a SIMILAR call to sac to byu with their financial resources to, take advantage of THIS opportunity because that's what i, Think. The bigger story is.
Speaker 8: DAVE that's a tough one i know when the recent hearings were finally determined, A Week or two ago mark, carlan came out and said.
Speaker 1: This is a great. Day this will equalize stuff. It doesn't.
Speaker 8: TOTALLY equalized stuff it helps I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: That, Byu doesn't have the sorry.
Speaker 8: Utah doesn't have that capability YOU talked about all that LDS. Money that funnels into byu.
Speaker 1: There's plenty Of. It that goes into.
Speaker 8: Utah you said it yourself you know their head coach is AN. Active member of the. Lds, CHURCHILLS their defensive coordinator, sure i Mean you know it's just. I'm hard pressed to believe you talked about people lying that they they can't compete on, par just with the money and.
Speaker 1: It becomes, About, other things all right david let's get a tease ten. Thirty five cam with you? What Have got coming up.
Speaker 8: Utah jazz draft is tomorrow spence is gonna. Break it down to you he's gonna. Give, you his top five Also who he likes the jazz to draft and who knows it may not even. Be in his top five there's a difference between your top five and who you would like to see. In that number five? Position will There be? Trades why Has bailey dropped? Why has edgecomb moved up all those questions are going to be. Answered by one spence check its might even you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to do a little research on.
Speaker 8: This check the d news do might EVEN just, briefly address the nhl draft?
Speaker 1: Which begins two days. LATER we CAN do that i was i. KNOW you're a hockey guy i was On A zoom call. With bill armstroana twelve thirty where were you lunching with a? Friend during your long day? FIRST, of my, multi interviews, O my gosh all right. Dave seen a, few, hours hey See You buddy the great, dave Fox Ten thirty five cam yu tonight we will catch a quick break and we'll do the five. O'clock hour of the program it's, been a, busy news cycle of course We've Talked a lot about rider lions committing, to play for byu oh. We Have Some breaking news boston atlantan brooklyn are finalized in a Three team Trade that sends kristaps for zingis and a Second, Round Pick to The hawks terrence man in atlanta's Twenty, second pick To The nets and the Mini Vans on the move george niang and A second Rounder to the celtics as boston continues to shed salary randomly Busy day On. A random tuesday in june, nba offseason is just beginning but the player movement that was rumored. Appears To be very Real. JORDAN poole, is a. PELICAN. Cj mccollin excuse Me. Cj McCollum is a Wizard. Kristaps Porzingis Is a hawk terrence man atlanta's Twenty. Second Pick to the nets George. Niang Goes to the Celtics Former jazz man obviously desmond baine Is A Member of the magic kevin durant Is A. Member of the houston rockets so. Already Five pretty significant deals drew holliday also has Been Shipped Out. To The portland trail blazers the jazz have not gotten involved, in any of these transactions but maybe tomorrow. Will bring something PRETTY exciting, if, you're an nba fan Tonight, It's kind of Like. Christmas eve love the draft we're gonna. Have great covers for you guys before we. SAY canight's start your engines espn seven hundred is excited To Announce The First ever monster Jam World finals coming to utah. July fourth Or the fifth listen to shan O'Connell for your chance to win tickets or get yours at ticketmaster dot, Com now, Before, They're Gone All right porter when, dave fox was in studio we summoned the help of the community to help us understand why THERE'S this new dynamic with lds missions where apparently if, you can throw a football you're only asked. To serve for fourteen months were you enlightened at all? By, either texters or. Callers, no you, Were not.
Speaker 2: No no one no one had any. Any real input on this let me give. Our, texters, one more chance yeah.
Speaker 1: No any Feedback at all angry people usually a text line. Is full, of angry.
Speaker 2: PEOPLE yeah no no anger i think folks, are just surveying this situation not sure, what TO think. About it which i. Understand it's a new world we're in the landscape of college football.
Speaker 1: And recruiting and the like it is. A new world For sure so Congratulations to kailani AND a rod and the byu football program for locking in this young man their highest rate to recruit at the quarterback positions. In two, THOUSAND and two all RIGHT i Will Be on tv with dave fox TONIGHT. Ten thirty Five. Km yu it's talking jazz we're gonna do a lot of draft prep talk. About some, Of, these prospects all right porter will We be talking about the? Jazz making a move tomorrow Or we talked about the jazz standing pat at five and making? THEIR pick WHERE they're at.
Speaker 2: I Think i think that the jazz are going to. Make the number, five pick that being said if there were a team to trade, OUT of the top five i Do. BELIEVE it is the jazz i think that if a certain collection Of picks go ahead Of Utah and say in ace bailey is the guy that. IS available at number five i know we've heard kind Of on both Spectrums The jazz thoughts on ace bailey potentially being really high on and potentially being kind of low on him. BASED on some certain things i think, that if there's, a team, say you know top ten That Is, really Into, an ace bailey a conkkinipple whoever may, BE available there at Five i don't think the jazz would hesitate, to move Off Of, that take an Igor Demon take maybe a conk, nipple if he's, still, available and you know oh maybe we'll take another second round, pick from you as well just to facilitate moving back a few spots and getting a different guy that. WE'RE just as comfortable with i could see that Very well being what. The jazz end up, Doing, but as you know spence to make a, deal happen on trade day there is a lot of moving parts and usually usually more than two TEAMS In A lot Of nba draft day? Deal so, will IT happen likely not But i could see the. Jazz, doing it for.
Speaker 1: Sure reminder, when we say goodn tomorrow we WILL Move right. INTO our nba draft coverage i, will Be Anchoring the Coverage And, richard smith and gordy chasa a combine a million, Years experience in pro basketball we'll. Be along for The ride and then On thursday night it'll be Smithy and myself for a ROUND Two and then the Nhl, Draft Comes away on friday Fun Week on the show fun. Week in the Com Community porter before he saga night will come To our way on a wednesday edition Of the show On A.
Speaker 2: Wednesday edition of, the drive as you MENTIONED We're going to cover nba. Draft And, Go From there craig Bowler Jack voice of The Utah jazz stops BY neil Smith talking some nhl. Draft We're hoping for one TIM Bond Temps for the NBA Daily assist, on an nba draft day and then we talked a lot About. BYU's newest, COMMIT writer lions of course Aj debonsa A lot of team down south. Elements On the show today spencer linton. Will join, the program tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right there we Go join. Us for a WEDNESDAY show We'll sag and I reminder I'll Be on tv with dave. Fox tonight ten thirty five cam w? Are you talking, Jazz Special, Thank you today zach, Harper tim. MCMINNIMATE excuse me tim McMahon i JUST combined, Two of our nba guests tim mc Minim minim his name is tim McMahon would. Be a Good Nba reporter It Would bill riley and dave fox for any of the sound you. May MISSED from the show website espn, seven hundred sports, Dot com download our app. TAKE us on the go espn seven hundred App Is available in The app Store of the. Google, play store for free finally for what we do our space, every afternoon for four hours. Check out our podcast page listen whatever part of the show you want to. Listen to On Your time It's. Called the. Drive with spence check its it's available. Wherever, you gave, Your Show subscribe rate reviews, santa singers in the comments give us. All The Stars that helps reporter i'm spence saying tonight talk To you On a draft day special, Wednesday edition of, the program and as always you can FIND that right here on espn SEVEN. Hundred ninety two and ffm we are Proud TO Be part. Of utah's espn radio network