Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the Podcast. I am Mark Eels and Sad Scum half Myer and.
Speaker 2: I am Jay the Gotty of the Deep Cluet. Welcome you boards the podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire deep with trinogy, scene by scene. We're doing it again with all new wonderful guests. And this is the end of our first our second go through of the first film. This is the one chapter thirty three. What happens in one chapter three not lop. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: Carter and Preacher sit on the sinking platform and distant boahorn sounds. It comes the next shift people away from the boat.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you man, I quit this job.
Speaker 3: Carter and Preacher birthday down, exhausted, back to together.
Speaker 4: Amen.
Speaker 3: We don't have the rights to the.
Speaker 2: Song, so that was it was one chapter thirty three. It kind of trailed off when the song started to play because we don't have the right to that. But that is mainly what we're going.
Speaker 1: We tried, we tried.
Speaker 2: We didn't try hard, but we did try. They just didn't reply, no.
Speaker 1: No, they replied. It was like eighteen hundred bucks for the first few episodes.
Speaker 2: I remember, yeah, we we didn't do that. So this is so we have we have. We have a guest who was last on to talk to me about Aquaman. He's from a music podcast. Is from a lyrical innuendo, amongst a bunch of other stuff. Bubble Weet, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's it's good to be back finally, and.
Speaker 1: Next said too, sadly there's no under a singer.
Speaker 2: Well this it's supposed to be all new guests this season, and we didn't have. Nick was our first guest in the first go round. But it felt right to talk about the musical episode, the music the song episode of the podcast, to have the lyrically endo boys on to talk about it. So Nick and Baba, thank you very much for joining us. It has been too long. But wait, Nick, you ahead, like two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 1: Sadly, there's no underwater catapults in this scene like Aquaman has, which I love. I love an out ofwater catapult.
Speaker 2: True, do they work underwater? I don't?
Speaker 1: I mean those ones do?
Speaker 4: You're the engineer, Jay follow We've talked about this.
Speaker 1: You know what bothers me about Aquaman is it's like he had Aquaman won the battle. He has a giant like a behemoth, he has the the and like the creatures from the deep swarming everything, murdering. But he still makes like endangered whales come join the fight. I just I just feel bad about that.
Speaker 4: It's like they got to pitch in. Man, everybody's got to pitch.
Speaker 1: In, Like we got the battle one, but you endangered whales come help.
Speaker 4: I don't know that's how serious it is that the whales got to get involved. We'll see.
Speaker 5: It's a safeguard because if the if their opponent kills the whale, then they get arrested for killing it. Endangered species.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if it's off the coast of the UK, then all the whales belong to the king around the UK. Fact, that is a thing. All the swans as.
Speaker 4: Well, swans I get. I can get behind the swans thing, but.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's the whales as well. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: You know, the first poster for Whale Fall came out, which I read the book very excited book. Yeah, I'm very excited that guys. You guys know about Whale Fall.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's a very good book from a couple of years ago about a guy who goes swimming and he gets he gets followed by a whale, and it's just all from like I'm in a whale. Now I'm going to try and get out of this whale. It's that book, but it's really good film.
Speaker 1: Center's acid and he's trying to get out of a thing and it's gally.
Speaker 2: It's a little some dog millionaire with every things like him and the acid, and he thinks back to when a part of his life was important to get.
Speaker 4: A little bit of acid. Episode on Rick and Morty was like, sure, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I had like spring breaks in Panama City Beach that were worse than probably being swallow a mile a whale. So you know, this sounds pretty good. Excited.
Speaker 2: So uh, Bubek, the last time you're on, I don't think you had seen Deep Blue c in its entirety. Has that changed?
Speaker 5: Yes, I watched it for the first time earlier today.
Speaker 2: So it's not the songs and everything. Let's get your first thoughts. What did you think this form?
Speaker 5: Ever? Well, and in terms of like you know, an action disaster come or an action disaster or my thoughts there a little bit is uh, you know it's the dumbest movie I've ever seen. But as I was watching it, there were so many scenes that just have me cackling.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we're gonna need to know to have some specific stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean pretty much anytime anybody got eaten by a shark, that is pure cackle cackle fuel right there. Just the you know, the the quickness of it, the nineteen ninety nine era CGI, it's just everything about it. It's like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's great leg twitches, surprise deaths, crotch bites, reshoot deaths.
Speaker 2: But did you have a good time? Is the main the main thing. Did you enjoy yourself?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a fun watch, and I wouldn't wouldn't call it a good movie. But you know, and for ten years watching every superhero movie I can find, you know, that's that's kind of par for the course for me.
Speaker 2: And you're now going to I know, you're a massive MXM Minutes listener, so you're now going to go back and listen to our and you well, I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, through the first movie, I will you know, eventually, you know, my max M listening is kind of you know, it's a bit more focused since I'm doing an oral history of movies by minutes now, so I'm kind of focused on, you know, what the next episode is. But you know, whenever, whenever I have time, because I think I'm coming up on a on a guest where I've listened to all of their episodes already, so you know, that's that gives me a little bit of extra buffer time.
Speaker 2: You can just wait until you have me mark on your show and listen to our show. That that's either way, It's fine.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of show to listen to. It is you're in here, a lot, I recommend it, a lot of tangents, a lot of nick, a lot of probably about a half hour worth of talking about whether it's Trent Slater or Slater Trent.
Speaker 2: At least, Yeah, that's the second film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just wait till you get to the second one.
Speaker 2: Or mister Calhoun. Oh yeah, thank you for watching, Thank you for finally watching. A deepers for the podcast, We do appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I is, you know, spoilers to the you know later in the show. But this this is only the second like Shark as a main character in a horror movie that I've ever seen, after Jaws.
Speaker 2: I mean there's some great ones out there, but that's that's the two big ones you hit.
Speaker 1: The shallows is next, I would.
Speaker 2: Say forty seven meters down. Do you like shark movies? Is that or I guess? I guess not if you haven't seen any, it's the city question is.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's not so much that I dislike them, it's just you know, they're they're not my first choice. I just never get around to them.
Speaker 2: That's fair enough. Yeah, there's not many shark superhero films, that's what. Yeah, Aquaman in my super she throws a shark. She does. Yes, And then let's see.
Speaker 1: What else is there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just on the list. We haven't got we haven't covered it yet, but it's on the list.
Speaker 4: Guy and Suicide Squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the the there's an allocated guy as well.
Speaker 1: Batman, he fights a shark, have it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, then we go them.
Speaker 1: I'll put together list. Jay, I put together a list. You want to hear it?
Speaker 2: Sure it?
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorite all time. Yeah, this is one of my favorite all time end credit songs ever, deepest, bluest and I remember cleaning the theater to it and just loving life. So I went through and I picked five movies where I love the credits, like the end credits, and some of them come from when I was working in a theater, and then other ones come from just ones that I love in general. So the one I thought about first, I don't know why, is when American Wedding came out. There's that song Laid, the cover of Laid by What Matt Nathanson, and then it was Bouncing off the walls again by Sugar Cult. But I always loved going in a theater and cleaning it. When the cover of Laide was on, I just loved picking up after you know everyone's popcorn that fell on the floor.
Speaker 2: Listening to that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if everyone knows that cover, but I like, oh, it's wonderful. And then Furious seven See You Again bys Khalifa and Charlie Poof like the man, I get choked up thinking about that, So I love that one, Too Fast, too furious. When Joe Budden's Pump It Up comes on, you just want to I just want to pick up my wife and run around the house with her. I love that one. And then the end songs any songs and lost in translation, it's just like Honey by Jesus and the Mary Jane, and then City Girl by Kevin Shields, like I love those credits. And then finally in Club Dread, Bill Paxton plays a guy called Coconut Pete and I actually have the vinyl with all his songs on it. He has like instead of Margaritaville, he has Pina Colada Berg. But at the end of it he has a song called Naughty Cow and it's just Bill Paxton singing like Jimmy Buffett and I just love that song and I love Pina Colada Berg as well. So yeah, those are the five songs I thought about, and I just did that honor of this chapter.
Speaker 2: Nice nice, I would say, end credit songs aren't something the gens to stick with me, Like, if you like, ask me to record any beyond like the men in Black films, nothing really comes to mind. Uh so I don't, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But Shrek, like they do a big musical number.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the Eddie Murphy Antonio benderas one right live in Leavita Loca.
Speaker 4: I think that's the second one. The first one they're singing Noma Believer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So I'm not a big Trek guy and this I know this is something like I said this to my wife recently and she looked at me like I just buried one of our dogs in the garden alive. She seemed to think this was like a corner stone of our relationship is that we both love Trek, a film series I've never suggested to be watch ever, but that she likes. And I said, I don't really enjoy the Shrek films, and yeah, I kind of broke it out. So, uh no, I know what you're talking about. They do sing I remember it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I accidentally I've played over the credits.
Speaker 4: I would add that, didn't they do that in the third one?
Speaker 1: That's the second person the second the two starts, one of them starts with that song.
Speaker 4: It's not a long December. It's very much like He's amazing.
Speaker 1: If Strik too ends with its a longer and there's reasons to believe has played at like point seven speed. I don't know why, but just dragging.
Speaker 4: It better, yeah, I mean really dragging it.
Speaker 1: Also build me up Buttercup at the end of there's something about Mary's great as well. I love that ending. Now I want to listen to that song at point seven speed, I'm sensing a theme.
Speaker 2: Mhm, so abubba. Any any end credit songs that spring to mind that you I mean.
Speaker 5: The only one that comes to mind immediately for for whatever reason, is you know, a hero at the end of Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that's a good one.
Speaker 4: I bet that.
Speaker 1: You know. That's like the that's like new metal, gold medal work right there?
Speaker 2: New metal?
Speaker 1: Though, what are they?
Speaker 4: I would just say is Creed?
Speaker 1: Is Creed new metal?
Speaker 4: I would say Creed is not new metal.
Speaker 1: Interesting's what's new metal?
Speaker 4: I would like corn they're new metal. I don't think Incubis Maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I answered the questions. I don't know. I guess they.
Speaker 4: Belt it out.
Speaker 1: Hero Rules. I love that song, but they're not new metal. What about N E W Metal?
Speaker 4: They're definitely not new metal.
Speaker 1: I do think. I know that the number one album in two thousand and five was Wash Nickelback I sold like seventeen or nineteen million records, which I feel like that kind of killed off new metal. I don't know. I have a theory that HOODI and the Blowfish killed off grunge.
Speaker 4: I could see that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, Hero Rules, I jumped in on there but that song Rips, and I said yes, I said Rips. I'm forty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel like we should move away fro Nicko before I'd start a by how much I really enjoy them as a band, uh and still listen to music regularly, and so let's not talk about that.
Speaker 1: What I'm not hating on them. I like them.
Speaker 2: That song rule, but this is going out with the internet. Mark the Internet. I may be lynched. I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're just out there counting their cash though. I feel like that just got popular between eight people and then everyone just bought their albums. Could be, could be, could be coming to the UK.
Speaker 2: J I'm not. I'm not a big glove music guy. I've been to one big gig in my life, which was ed Sharan, which was a wedding present to my wife. Right to that, it was fine. We're seeing Bruno Mars this year.
Speaker 4: I guess what you see him.
Speaker 2: Next month two months time? Think where they where's he doing that London? I don't sure where. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Every distance as well. Just what what does the matter with you? How do you not know where you're seeing?
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not that fuss about live music clearly once to go on her own, so I'm going as well.
Speaker 1: It's basically oh hey, because I mean he just sold out the Georgia Tech Stadium, like this is a legit stadium tour of his.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he'll be at Wembley.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jay, you're gonna love it.
Speaker 4: Which day you go into, Jay, because he's he's there for a while.
Speaker 2: I think it's a Sunday.
Speaker 4: Oh that's July. I'm not gonna blow. I'm sure too much, but I'm sure bringing the romantic tour.
Speaker 1: You know, Wallflowers have a thirtieth anniversary of Bringing Down the Horse, and you're playing at the place near me. But I can't go. But I would have loved to hear One Headlight live.
Speaker 4: I love One Headlight.
Speaker 1: It's good John, Yeah, great, Jam, I'll listen that. I played that CD over and over.
Speaker 5: I just heard that on the radio yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's a good driving song, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I want to see Snow Patrol live.
Speaker 2: So has anyone seen cool?
Speaker 1: They have a song on the Spider Man three soundtrack, by the way, snow Patrol.
Speaker 4: Who's that? Snot?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Jay?
Speaker 4: Would you rather go to six concerts in a year or be in a hotel room in China for two weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh no, where are the concerts?
Speaker 1: Manchester Family, Liverpool, the.
Speaker 4: O two, the Hammersmith, and let's say a pub.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd rather do the concerts because I'm not against music. It's just not Sea Cow. So I would do I would do that because I don't want to repeat the worst two weeks of my life.
Speaker 1: What's your bucket?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got one. I've got a cup.
Speaker 2: So I have housemates at the moment, and I met them recently and one of them was like, so, what music do you listen to? And I'm like, I don't really, I don't really listen. I don't really listen to much music, so I don't have a pocklist of musicians I want to see. Genesis would have been up there. I do love Genesis, but they've kind of stopped touring now and I have a bad association with them. Knowing that my dad loves Genesis, I love Genesis. They did a tour a few years back and I tried really hard to get tickets so that me and my dad could go, and I couldn't get I tried so hard again, so many people trying to get I couldn't gem And I said to my dad, Dad, I really tried, but I couldn't get tickets. It's okay. I got tickets and he went with my mum and uh see that's that's yeah. I had a real negative connotation with them.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I tried to do this funding moment thing and it it didn't. It didn't come through, it didn't work out.
Speaker 1: So it's the ones I haven't seen. I would love to go to Metallica probably. I would love to hear Snow Patrol. I want to hear Run live, and probably Alvril Levine. I just want to do that.
Speaker 4: Metallica live is pretty great. I've seen them now three times live.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Oh you know what, I'm happy. I'm not jealous. I'm probably that's awesome. Did they have a symphony? Did they play with the other times? Neither time?
Speaker 4: Neither time? I was it was. I saw them in Birmingham, Alabama, and then twice at Gillette Stadium.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, you know, I was really I went and saw Aerosmith in college and I was really excited. But they played the entirety of their honking on Bobo album.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, I'm just sorry to hear that you saw Aerosmith live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were fine.
Speaker 2: I would have been fine with that.
Speaker 1: I like Aerosmith and Cheap Trick played beforehand, so that was cool. And the guy just threw around four hundred.
Speaker 4: That's from the Birmingham show. I didn't get for the show.
Speaker 2: I've seen the fer Tellies. I really like the for Tellies. It was fun and they played Chelsea dagger early on, but when they want to core, everyone still did the the Chelsea Dagga song to them to come out and play something else. That's just how Yeah, that's the song and the automatic I saw Baba. Any any bands you're desperate to see? Any bucket lists bands?
Speaker 5: I mean, yes, the Chapter the one that always that I would probably always go to, and I've probably had the opportunity to see them many times. But I'm also not a big live music guy. Is nine inch Nails?
Speaker 4: How were you not a live music how? And how am I just finding out about this?
Speaker 1: They just played here. They played in like Gwenette Area. I couldn't make the show, but yeah, I played.
Speaker 4: Baltimore last year. I missed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I've only been to like four or five concerts. I mean, for me, it's it's mainly because you know, I broke most of the the time, and it's like, you know, I can't spend, you know, if I want to go with my wife, I can't spend, like, you know, drop one hundred dollars two hundred dollars on concert tickets.
Speaker 1: That's fair, good point, Nick Thing, Yes, you do you have a bucket list, man?
Speaker 4: I do. I do. I'd like to see the National live. I'd like to see Radiohead live. And the Strokes are coming to Merriweather, but they're coming the same day I get back from the Outer Banks and the next night I'm seeing Goose. So I'm like, I just I'm gonna just gonna not go. So I'll wait and I'll wait and see him at some point. I'm sure I have seen Julian Casablancis live though, when he did Phrases for the Young and put that solo album out, he came through and played a small club and I did get to see that, So that was that was really rad.
Speaker 5: I'll say one of the most one of the more surprising concerts I went to was smash Mouth. They were surprisingly good.
Speaker 4: Live Dude happened on a smash Mount Kick Lately. Seven songs of theirs I listened to.
Speaker 1: Today, walking on the Sun, that's a good one, wasted.
Speaker 5: I was surprised how many songs I recognized.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, ah, what is it? Uh?
Speaker 5: But that's their version of I'm a Believer.
Speaker 1: It's a good one.
Speaker 4: But walking on the Sun fantastic.
Speaker 1: That's a justified I didn't. Oh, why can't we be friends?
Speaker 2: They know it's pretty, it's not great, Okay, I'm just saying it's it's a song. I know that's the first version of that song. I think that's a fun one.
Speaker 1: That band A Simple Plan covered Surrender and it almost killed me. But I think Smash Mouse covers they justify their existence there as covers.
Speaker 2: There's a cover in this chapter.
Speaker 1: It was horrible.
Speaker 2: So there is a cover of a song in the end credits of Deeply. C is not the first song, it's the second song, and I can't remember what it is and I'm trying to look it up now because that's it's awful. It's maybe my least favorite part of the whole film is the cover of this song. And soever I'm watching it. That's the point I have to stop watching It's it's the second what is it taking something? Fine?
Speaker 1: Well, Jay's looking I think that this. I think there's a few things that keep Deep Blue see in like I in the pop like just out there. I think it's the Sam Jackson kill because whenever an article comes out about best surprise deafs, you have to include that. I think if you're gonna make a best Shark movie list, it's got to be somewhere on the top ten. If you leave Deep bluecy out of the top ten, you're you're being a little provocative. So anytime a new Shark movie comes out, you update a list, you post it, Deep Blue C's in there. And also anybody you talk to there's like, yeah, Deepest Blues my head is like a shark fan. Like there's people who know that song, they know that line, and I think that you know, you talk to most people who are of a certain age, I guess, and they know Deepest Bluest my hat is like a shark fin Sharks Fin.
Speaker 4: So it's just such an earworm, Like I'll just be walking around and it'll just pop up out of nowhere, and then it's stuck until I.
Speaker 1: Listened to I mean, and it's the songs also great too, because there's about eighteen moments in it where you're just going, what like when you goes late, it was the ocean is haunted, I hate your ancestors. The ocean is haunted.
Speaker 4: Like did you just say that?
Speaker 1: And you're just like yes, you know, like yeah, abandoned pirate ships, eels and sid scum, You're like.
Speaker 2: What I can See Now, performed by Chantella Jones the west part of the film.
Speaker 5: One thing that I did notice because I did actually, you know, watch the credits and uh, you know, I didn't. I mean, it's it's credit, so there's not a whole lot that popped out. But one thing that I did notice is that, you know, the first credit that I saw was the credit for I Can See Clearly Now, and it had you know, written by whoever wrote it and performed by whoever originally performed And I'm like, I was like, and then like five songs down that you have the cover version credited, and I was like, I do not remember them playing the original version of that when.
Speaker 4: The beginning.
Speaker 2: Speaker, yeah, plays it over this over the town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tony soprano's sister plays it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good so over on lyrical innuendo. Your The main premise of that show is to determine whether various songs are about sex, drugs, or rock and roll. Do you think that premise would fit deep Blue, Deepest Bluest is deepest bluest about any of those things?
Speaker 4: I mean I fit because we have had a couple of curveball songs that ended up skipping all that all together, ended up being about something else, all together different. The one that comes to me, yeah, is dude, when it was oh God, why can't we a choice Rockefellers, Yeah, weapon a choice by I said, Rockefellers by fat Boy Slim, that one when we it that kind of that still blows my mind when I think about it. So we've we've had a couple that it's like, oh, all together.
Speaker 1: Different, that's that's dune, right, Yeah. Yeah, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 4: And it was just like walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm, Like there's like the whole song basically, like there's entire lyrics and stuff again, and I'm like, oh, I've never really because when you think about it, you don't really hear that song on the radio. When you're watching the music video, you're not really listening to the words. You're watching what's his nuts? Do his thing?
Speaker 1: Christopher?
Speaker 4: You watching him do his thing and then he's flying around the universe and doing that, and then it's funnier because he ends up being in Dune Part two, Like oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and definitely good.
Speaker 2: Uh okay.
Speaker 1: I've so when you guys listen to music, like, how do you how do you absorb the songs? Everyone has a different way, Like when I when I listen to songs, I just kind of I guess I just like the vibe with them. I don't really worry too much about I'm not trying to pick out the lyrics. I know that you do that in podcasts and everything, and that's fine. Like everyone's different, but I just kind of like rolling with it. Like years later when I actually learned the words, I'm like, oh crap, I didn't know that. Like there's songs that I probably if I looked up the lyrics now, i'd be like, well, I've been getting that wrong. But I just like the kind of vibe of it and the way it rolls, Like, how do you guys listen to, like when you put the radio on, like what are you looking for?
Speaker 5: I mean, I I just you know, I pretty much do that for the most part, just let the song washed over me like I do listen like, uh, you know, I think it's been almost a couple of years now, I've I've found this app called Music League and kind of gamifies music listening where you know, you can have you can create a league and then it each you have rounds and each round somebody submits, you know, you create a theme for that round, and then everyone who joins that that league, they submit a song that fits the theme, and then you vote, you know, you off, you give points to the songs that you think fit the theme the best. And you know, I started doing that, and you know, whenever and I do a thing called you know, Artist Journey where I completely you know, ignore the Game of five part of the you know, I completely use the app for what it's not supposed to be intended for, and I just use it for sharing music. So everybody picks an artist and each round they submit a song from that artist. So it's just sharing music from different artists. You know, a group of ten people just sharing music and then commenting on it and uh, and though those are really fun, but whenever I listen to those, I still just kind of, you know, like let the music, you know, kind of wash over me and like I don't try to like I don't I'm not reading the lyrics. I'm just like, yeah, I you know, I like that song. I can see why this person likes likes this artist.
Speaker 4: Mark, you would love playing that game, Like I played it a lot, and then I played it too much to and work wasn't getting done, Like I got I gotta stop.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 4: It's very much like a vibe kind of thing, like I'll be listening to just I'm in the mood for this particular thing and that's what I'm listening to. And occasionally I'll hear a passage in a song, be it lyrically or voke or musically, and I just kind of latch onto it and I start to look for things that sound similar to that. Like I've been on a very big combination shoegaze and rock steady kick, so anything that like encompasses those two, oh yeah, I'm like really really into it. Like I found this band of Italy called Code Eclips, and I've been listening to them a whole bunch of their shoegaze. I've been digging deep into like Carl Dawkins and some of his you know, rock steady and reggae stuff. So for me, it's that kind of energy. But when Bubba sends the email and he's like, hey, you know, here's our songs and here's my pick. What's your pick gonna be? When I'm listening to his songs, it's like, I'm gonna listen to it like on the drive to work or as I would normally do in my day to day, and then closer to a record time, I'm gonna sit down and really pay attention to the words, give it another run through of listens to see if something adjusts at that point, because I always wanted to be my first interpretation instead of like, let me try to figure out what he sees in it, let me do my bit, so this way, when he says why I think it's this sometimes blows me out of the water and I'm like, wow, I never thought of it that way before, And other times I'm like, hmm, I don't see it. But for the most part, it's it's always gonna be like an interesting, interesting song, and I feel like most of the time it's an artist I've ever heard of or I'm just completely unaware of. So that's another fun part, is just like discovering new music between each other, and it's it's it's just it's fun. It's fun, and it's like one of the easiest things to prep and do because you just have to listen to music and you can do that at any point and it's just such a great time.
Speaker 2: Mm jay, I don't listen to the radio music, don't you. Yeah, I have the songs that I like. I listen to the songs that I like.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they're making new stuff. We have we have good stuff already.
Speaker 1: I do like. I like serious because it introduces me to new new songs because I would just listen to the same eight songs over and over again, probably, so it is nice checking out the thing. Like I listened to that song though, like ten years ago. I looked at my iPod and I listened to that song, the first single by the format, like one thousand and eighty seven times. Sure, I was like, geez, let's listen to it again. And I probably listened to it that same amount. So I my jam.
Speaker 2: My most listened to album on Apple Music is the Groundhook Day Musical original cast recording, which is my favorite UH Broadway show. I loved it and I've listen. I listened to that all the time. And that's what isn't. I listened to that, And then I have a running play this of like twenty songs, and sometimes if I go run and listen to music, I'll listen to that, and that's the music I listened to. That's the list I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I've been listening to Party Hard with Mallory lately from Andrew w That's on my running place, and she'll be on the card party Hard, Yes, Yes, And then on the back seat we're driving, she's like, Dad, Dad, I'm like what She's like, we got a Party Hard. I'm like, I've never been prouder of her.
Speaker 4: Funny enough, We talked about Andrew d w K a couple of episodes ago. We covered a song I Get Wet and we had a great times. That's the when.
Speaker 2: That's the when I listen to new music. It's when you guys cover something. If I haven't heard the song before, I will go and listen to that song before listening to the episode, and I haven't heard that song before, and now I have one time, so.
Speaker 1: Pretty great.
Speaker 4: You can run of that song, Jay.
Speaker 2: You could. I am tempted to Andrew WK album because I've listened to Party Hard. I didn't know he had other songs. Thought he was a Chesney Hawks, But no, he's he has other songs apparently. So that's what I'll do next time I go for run. I make this promise to you. Next time I listen to music on a run, I will listen to an Andrew WK album. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Most musical artists have more than one song.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm learning that now though.
Speaker 1: Say Party Hard makes me so happy. I was just dead party Hard, Yes, Let's go makes me she was dad rock music?
Speaker 2: Yeah, rock music.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: My my question about Deepest Bluest in terms of what it's about it is it about a guy who has turned into a shark? Is it about a shark who has turned into a guy or is it about a created half shark half man hybrid who was formed as such.
Speaker 1: What he was?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You guys, answer you know what. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's the right answer. But this is this is what I want to find today.
Speaker 5: If you really, if you really want to dig into it and and you know, go way out to kilter. You know this this I think you and you know I don't really have the answer for this. I because I didn't, you know, give myself a ton of time to like, you know, dissect the lyrics. But I think you could interpret this as you know, a you know, someone like not it I want to say sexual predator, but not in that way. I mean like as you know, a some one with sexual energy being a you know, stalking his prey and like in the clubs, you know someone who is you know, it's stalking his love interest like a shark going through the clubs.
Speaker 2: They had had no notes from Nick.
Speaker 4: I just can't when you have something like all you see is trails of blood. Even God won't intervene. That's a little that's a little to me. That does it sounds like this girl are getting it to nothing.
Speaker 1: You won't die.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit kuy of But Jay, it's funny you mentioned or you bring it up like that, because I just looked at it as like, yeah, like this is hello, cool, J If he became a shark you know what I mean, Like it's like Will Smith when he sang about the Nightmare on his street, right, like it's just if I became a shark, this is how it would be. And we of course know Ello coal J through his previous records talked about you know he's bad. Uh, he's gonna knock you out. His mother said to knock you out, Like we know he's a big, tough guy, and this is just more of that. Like this is just Ela Coolj being like if I was a half man, half shark wrapper, this is how I would tear you down. And he just proceeds to do that. I mean, the greatest line in here is probably be is probably be geez Nick would probably be the whole idea about like the ocean is haunted, not it, Like that's that's the toughest line in the whole thing, and it's so incredible because like, yeah, I guess it would be. And by that logic, everything is haunted because there's death everywhere all around us, but the ocean probably one of the more haunted things out there, like terrifying.
Speaker 1: Like Mitch Edberg said, everyone just be screaming in the ocean. Yeah, didn't Mitch ever have a joke about that about how all the fish are just screaming because everyone's just getting murdered. But okay, but he does say to a half human predator created by a needle, So I feel like he's sure. I feel like he can go in and out of the ocean and he just occasionally goes out in the water and murders people.
Speaker 4: Like the avatar or do you think he comes or do you think it's like a werewolf kind of thing. I'm a shark now, and then when he's done, get back to being a person.
Speaker 2: Like a change animal animal, Yeah, somewhere because in the video he turns into a shark and then back again at some point. It's it's just during the song video, by the way, fantastic Peak video, Peak video. Uh, there's the sign, the sign the lyrics. They switched my DNA trip me into cool J. I don't know what trip means in this in this context, but I read it as he was a shark and they switched his DNA into ELLL cool J. Is how I read that line, But I don't know. And then there's a bit created by needles, created by needle, But is that he was created as a whole entity by a needle, or he was a shark and then injecting was something and he turned into an ol caol J, or he was an J and they transformed into I don't know, it's ambituous.
Speaker 1: They switch my trip me into cool J. You're right, J right.
Speaker 2: But either whatever the reading is, it's not deeply that's not what happens in the film.
Speaker 5: That's not I mean, I mean they they only referred to it as Jen two. I mean, the actual name of the shark could be cool J.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: And and the half human is the brain part of the shark. You know that the shark is more of a human brain.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: If you're an animal, are you half man half shark?
Speaker 2: It depends at some point what stays you are during the transformation? Three three images in on the cover. Yes, is.
Speaker 1: This like, is this like an American London and werewolf transformation where it's painful or is it just sort of like.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, an American London.
Speaker 1: And American Jack? Would I say an American in America a werewolf? I like the Paris one better for whatever I'm joking. Uh yeah, so.
Speaker 5: Has a good song America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, your mouth it's a good, good trailer song, good call, and good bungee. But they are all right. I'm more confused.
Speaker 2: Now, that's what this song does.
Speaker 1: I think I like it. Oh sorry, go for it.
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna say. It just goes between that whole like if I was a shark, this is how badass I would be, right killers, sworn to be, swallow them in flames, badass to I'm born to kill, prey, to survive and attack. Also badass. But then there's also like he'll randomly throw in like oh yeah, and this happened in the movie, like getting the lap dance while I smashed through your boat when they're talking about being in the hallways, like in the deep underwater walls exactly. Like so, I think it's just like an amalgamation of and I think it all depends on what version we're getting. And maybe there's some portions of the song where he's Llo col J and then when he heads like a sharksman becomes shark ll col J and then goes back to being human. So I wonder through the eyes of which we're getting, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And of course he has the you know how many songs are going to throw in eels and sod scum as a line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well a little bit of scripture. I'll follow what happened how I build the name is in this is in the song because that's the Preacher character and they talk about a swarm of locusts under locusts.
Speaker 4: And he even references his buddy sharks too, hearing terrified his screams they surround my team.
Speaker 2: But in that instance, is he the shark the sharks, or is the coolj talking about the rest of the Aquatica crew.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's just diferencing the movie. There's also references to the Titanic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple which the Deeply See was obviously filmed in the Titanic.
Speaker 4: Can I is it lazy writing that he brought up the Titanic twice? You don't think there's another famous ship out there?
Speaker 1: He could have referenced what.
Speaker 4: Like like there you just you got it, that the Nina, the pins of the Santa Maria, Like there's he's writing, no, no, no, I'm just saying he but he brings it up again?
Speaker 2: Right then? Mark said, what runs Lana doesn't need to because Titanic is like at the start or the middle of these lines which.
Speaker 4: He talks about the Titania about the Mania brings the ship down like you were the Lusitania. I just did it right there, there we go, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know, a kangle had just appeared on Nick's head when they said that, which is you know, that's where they that song comes from from the shark fin line. So we learned about this a few weeks ago. But on the not there's a song, a nineteen eighty seven local j song called I'm Bad. Yeah, and then like he's like, they call me jaws. My hat is like a shark's thin, and he's like talking about what people saw his hat. They got to know that he's he's like the shark in the water. So I like that, Harry, Yeah, I like that he You know, either that table is really cool or someone doesn't have their kangle on another Mitch Hedberg joke. But yeah, so it's it's I like that he repurposed that line from I'm bad.
Speaker 2: I need to listen to this is.
Speaker 4: I think that this is just a shark version of I'm Bad, because the whole song about I'm bad. It is like how I'm the baddest rapper. Here's what I'm gonna do to you, here's gonna do to your crew. And this is like almost like a part to AKA if I were a shark. It's it's very similar structures and breakdowns. I'll crush you like a jelly bean like that, you know what I mean. He's gonna do all these things to you.
Speaker 1: He said, to crush you like a jelly bean.
Speaker 4: Yes, I crush you like a jelly bean.
Speaker 5: I'm bad.
Speaker 1: And I was combining these songs like.
Speaker 2: A jetty fish. I'm shock.
Speaker 1: See what's the legality of this?
Speaker 4: What you mean?
Speaker 1: All right? So if you're half so Jay, Nick, your Nick? Right? Your Nick? Nick?
Speaker 2: Nicks Nick?
Speaker 1: Oh wait sorry, I'm out of it today, guys. Nick is Nick and he's in ultimate my shirt hanging like I'm gonna remember So Nick is hanging out, but he's like, I'm also a shark. So Nick goes and jumps into the ocean, turns into a shark. Just murder some people out there, and then you come back on land. You turn back in a Nick, and you go home and eat some Baltimore chili.
Speaker 2: Motives and eats people.
Speaker 1: You don't even eat them. You just you're just making You're not you know, You're just you're just cruising. And uh then like cops come to your house and like, you know, Nick, you know, come with us. But but you're still like you can't you can't separate the two, can you? Like my shark form? Did that not my Nick form?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess you could plead insanity. They would have to do a test and run some you know what I mean, like like put those little wires on your skull and ask you the same questions in human form is like shark form, and if your brain fires the same synapses, then you could say, like, well, he clearly has the same thought patterns as human version as shark version, so he clearly did know what he was doing.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's it's like a an extreme version of disassociative identity.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, it's like a Snicker's commercial because you're not you and you're hungry.
Speaker 1: So it's just I don't know, I think that would be interesting to explore. I have a friend, Billy Patterson, does a lot of soundtracks episodes for me for movies on Flicks, and he has a podcast called Doug Defense, where a lawyer defend stuff or like talks about if legal stuff from movies would hold up. I'm gonna have to ask him this questions. Putting that on.
Speaker 4: There, I think somebody would just plead insanity.
Speaker 2: So we're not talking about I was a shark. Then that kind of leads into insanity, so that that works, I think.
Speaker 1: But a literally, so you can literally turn into a shark who just rolls around murdering people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds insane to me. Yeah, interesting, like Maui.
Speaker 4: Exactly, You're welcome three.
Speaker 1: But wait, so when he turns into a shark, is he still Maui? Yeah, very much.
Speaker 2: So he still has the same personality, got it?
Speaker 1: What if? What if Nick does have the same personality He just enjoys. I don't think Nick would enjoy some murder. I guess if you turn into a shark, think that I wouldn't. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to assume him.
Speaker 1: I'd be a witness for you, Like I don't think Nick is Nick when he turn in the Nick shark.
Speaker 4: When he's a nark.
Speaker 1: Because he's a gentle soul. Yeah, look at this beard you in your you're in your beautiful soul. Come on, well the song is that Jesse McCartney something like that. Yeah, all right, I know I sidetracked this, but that's something that's always bothered me about this song.
Speaker 2: Why is he turned on by the life fest being off as a shark? Okay, it's easier to eat on.
Speaker 4: And off absolutely off.
Speaker 2: Then that turns me on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that's his flotation device. It's safety and it's like hey, yeah, I mean it's in human version, it'd be like, yeah, I'm going in raw. Yeah, i mean there's no protection, there's no condom.
Speaker 5: Right, Also for the shark that's like gristle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's appealed banana exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably just happy not to have to work around the life fest.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When's the last time you ate like nea prene or some kind of plastic and foam not delicious, is it? I mean? Granted he sped out or they you know, pull a license plate out of the shark and everything, but that's metal like it's.
Speaker 1: It's not so well, the shark would be more buoyant.
Speaker 4: Is that something you want? Though a shark?
Speaker 2: We've had, we've had some like shark experts on this series, and I already had that listening to this just tyrol Jack, Hello.
Speaker 1: Oh he did right. I can't fight the feeling I'm born to kill prey. So it seems like he was a shark who turned into LL because of needles. But whenever he but he still has the urge to go back in the ocean and be a shark.
Speaker 2: It's still because of flea from a bat the future too.
Speaker 4: I'm also wondering if if it's LL with shark like tendencies because they're trying to extract what they can from the shark and use that as a new type of medication to fight.
Speaker 2: Alzheimer's.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you, that was part of the joke. I couldn't remember, and then sorry, that's fine, don't worry about It's fine to a.
Speaker 1: Joke the other day when we were recording, and I missed it too, I think, but to battle the Alzheimer's and everything, So I wonder if that's just one of the effects is like now I'm this predator, so I think I'm actually coming back around to it.
Speaker 4: I think Bubba Wheat's right. I think it's the story of Elo cool Jay getting this medication becoming this kind of predator in the club, but he has to kill like he just can't. And it's one of those kind of like stranger things where what's his face is blinking and he'll blink and all of a sudden he's in the upside down and then he blinks and he's not like he's you know, I mean with his eyes and everything, like he thinks he's a shark, but he's still a human. Like it's I think it's one of those insane in the membrane.
Speaker 2: Is this implying that if they had successfully come up with the Alzheimer's cure, which they do, if he was seeing us lost, if that were given to someone without some as they would turn into a shark.
Speaker 4: Strong possibility. They have shark like tendencies.
Speaker 2: Tendency, they would get some kind of hm hmm. Is it worth it? That's a big question. Good question. That's too.
Speaker 5: Just so you know, once a day they'll they'll just randomly say, hey, I'm a shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what. Yeah, I'll take that. They just can smell blood really well and control electricity a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm still pleased with that malle reference. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: My appetite is heartless, doesn't eat hearts or.
Speaker 1: Eats anything with abandon. He also said they eats blind, crippled, or crazy. You'll lead them all.
Speaker 4: Yep, no discriminating here.
Speaker 5: Although one line I don't understand is how the cold steel feel when it froze your chin?
Speaker 1: Thank cute.
Speaker 2: I have the same. Yeah, what the hell does that mean? What is he talking about? I don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have no idea that the only thing that I could the only thing I can think of, But it doesn't it doesn't feel like it would be cold steel is whenever the shark got electrocuted.
Speaker 2: Well, the only reference steel in Z when they're talking about the fence, because it's it's like titanium below, but it's just plain steel.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking this is an instance where he's human form cold steel pistol. He's probably a pistol whipping somebody. Someone's running their mouth. He pistol whips him and they stop talking.
Speaker 5: Whenever, either that or whenever. Uh you know, Preacher was stabbing the shark with the cross, except that that one in its eye, not its chin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't hit hit him with any like steel pants steal and sharks have chins.
Speaker 4: No, but they got jaws a night?
Speaker 2: Can I everybody?
Speaker 4: They got jaws?
Speaker 2: Jay yep, I heard zoom Is saying that you're applauding yourself.
Speaker 4: Set them up, knock him.
Speaker 1: Down, eels and sides come fish that glow in the dark. I love it. This is a great song.
Speaker 2: This is a wonderful song. I'm annoyed that it's not on Apple Music.
Speaker 5: And also, I don't I don't think I mentioned this before, but I'm fairly certain that this was the first time I heard this song. I do not have any memory of hearing this song on the radio or anything. You're welcome anywhere before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not not a big radio hit. I assume this song.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Did you notice that it was different a little bit musically as well from the film to the music video. I felt like in the film it was a little more guitar heavy, whereas the music video it was it kind of lost that guitar edge, and I felt like it was like toned down a little bit, like they had different key or something.
Speaker 1: Maybe one of my students bought me the soundtrack. I'll have to put it in and listen to it. They got me the CD soundtrack.
Speaker 4: That's pretty awesome because it's not on Spotify either, so I had to had a YouTube YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the difference between the YouTube and the disc version is not something I could ever notice. I don't know, I could have them playing one or the other maybe, but I'm on it. The only Okay, Mark, it's got homework for next next.
Speaker 1: Episode, for the next time we go through this in like six years. He hates on barracudas in this he's like other fishing to see, but barracuda is ain't equal?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah? Is he just picking up barracoota and saying, like all fish an equal, other fish in the same paracutas ain't equal equal.
Speaker 5: Barracudas.
Speaker 2: Paracuters could be better than other fish. You could read that, it's just not the same.
Speaker 1: H pounderful pounder. Barracouta's gonna shout though.
Speaker 5: Well, I think I think he's again going back to my my read of him being a you know, a predator in the club. He's referring to the other guys as Barracuda's and they ain't equal to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, you know what, when you're right, you're right, man. I'm like, I'm really coming round of this, and this has happened on the show too, where I'm like, I disagree, but persistence and the theories. You're right there, Bub's day on it.
Speaker 2: But then the next line is jet black eyes. Baby, they stare while you sleep, So it's like he was successful in his hunting around the club at night and then he's just watching the prey sleep afterwards. I don't like this. I think you're probably right, but I don't like this darkness.
Speaker 1: The other line is ELL's Jack that could be steroids.
Speaker 2: If we were, If we were, you eliminated, regardless, it does not does not sit well with this.
Speaker 5: I also think that you know, you could read eating your ancestors as I slept with your mom.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, it's like just that's pretty mom, but just more.
Speaker 4: Going on. She's eight.
Speaker 1: Titanic, so I'm the one you're gonna meet. That could be an innuendo right there. Mhm, killer's got to eat too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I pictured like James McAvoy is the beast in like this video going around the club?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yeah? Any other thoughts on the lyrics or the music video or the film. As this time around, Nick, you watched this on your your four K, did you I did.
Speaker 4: Arrow did a four K release, and I popped it up open and watched it and looked great. There are some scenes where I'm like, oh, I'm standing in the room with them. Although it does emphasize unintentionally like the c G I and how some of it doesn't look that great, But overall, I'm I'm I'm pleased I picked up the four K.
Speaker 2: I look forward to one day having a four K player so I can I can use my four K disk.
Speaker 4: I have pretty great. There's no there's no region lockout on four K, like I've got a bunch of like imports. It's delightful.
Speaker 2: I see any of any of the thoughts on on the lyrics or the chapter or the film.
Speaker 5: I did think it was I did think it was interesting that, you know, the chapter starts halfway in the middle of this scene of the two of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we didn't even talk about that.
Speaker 5: It's like we completely you know, in this chapter, we completely missed the line about you know, are you sure there's only three sarks?
Speaker 1: Get me back to the ghetto meets Amen.
Speaker 4: I quit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the returning AQUATICA crew witnessing the Aquatica is no more for the first time.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine you're on that boat and you're like, I'm gonna do this. When I get there, I'm gonna say, You're just like, huh, all these really messed up with this girl and broke it off with her. Now I gotta go back. I didn't have I did have three things, and I think Mark you might be able to answer one of them. Jay you might be able to answer one of them. And I think the other one is just more like huh, that's really interesting. The first one, the film was edited by three people, and then there was additional editing by two more people, different people. How many like the the post production on this was it just like that rough for their multiple cuts.
Speaker 1: There's got to be the reshoots, so they I get I bet you the two editors jumped on it after the reshoots. And then you know, Rennie shot a lot of footage on this, so probably they just brought three people in the shot to cobble it together and then the other two were for reshoots. That's my guess.
Speaker 4: Also, I like it. Also in the credits, they're set director or set decorator, set dressing but in between the two, it just says lead, like lead.
Speaker 1: What Oh, So I did a lot of art department as well, so like like the people who decorate it, Like it's like they the difference between like dressing and decorating a set is when you like, the people decorate the set and then someone dresses it. Does that make sense? And then the lead is just like the lead decorator, the lead set dresser, so they're kind of like the boss. They're like the best boy under it.
Speaker 4: Literally just lead, not lead director or lead dresser. None of it just says lead. And I'm like, so, I guess in a way, it's like this is the go to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's you know, you have the production designer, then you have the art directors, and then you probably have the lead, and then you have just the swing gang and the prop decorators and everything there.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: So that's Russ Anderson, who also did was in the art department for some superhero films. He's he was lead man in Avengers Endgame, in Infinty war Man and Captainerica.
Speaker 4: I thought there was more Chris Evans, but okay.
Speaker 2: It could be it could be lead man. It would be like he was in charge of getting.
Speaker 4: The lead superhero. Someone's got to get the lead out and get rust in here.
Speaker 1: So what was it like the movie? What do you mean lead? I was the lead man.
Speaker 2: I was the lean.
Speaker 4: The hairstylist to Samuel L. Jackson in this movie is Robert Lewis Stevenson.
Speaker 2: That's his that's his go to hair guy for everything. That's Jackson's hay guy.
Speaker 4: Different from the Robert lewid Stevenson who wrote Treasure Island, which was then adapted into My Treasure Island.
Speaker 2: Actually, but they are the same person.
Speaker 4: No, I know they're the same person, but I just I'm like, what and like it took me back. It took me a moment.
Speaker 2: Russ Anderson was also in the Swing Gang for Tremors, and he was the leadman for Connor. I have to mention, hey, that we've covered on this.
Speaker 4: Rennie's playing favorites.
Speaker 1: I see, I love a leadman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, So, I think mark any any of the thoughts on this chapter of the song with the City music video that we love.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know why the special effects look so good? You know, John Richardson did it. He did all the Bond and Harry Potter's and the world is not really Yeah, like this guy, I love the World is not enough. He did Willow. He was a special super special effects supervisor on Aliens Willow A View to a Kill, Lady Hawk, octopusy Flash Gordon. I mean this guy Moon Rinker, he did Superman, like the guy that did the So. I know a lot of people talk about the visual effects on this and that's that was Jeff Okamou did that the visual effects, But I think the special effects in regards like Walt Conti's work in the Explosions are gorgeous. And John Richardson was the manager of that. I mean this guy went on was on Aliens and they popped over to Deep Blue Sea, so they had some Also the guy I don't know if you guys know this, but Bridges, Mark Bridges, the guy who did the costume design. He's like won a bunch of Oscars sits in. He did Joker. I mean the guy who designed all the outfits from Mark Bridges. I think he has too. He did Phantom Thread. He's Paul Thomas Anderson's guy.
Speaker 4: Sounds like his career is really spanned decades.
Speaker 1: Definitely spanned decades, spanned decades spanned decades.
Speaker 4: Because of the bridge span engineering terms. Nothing nothing from you on man, Okay, strike it out.
Speaker 2: I haven't made that silence any longer in the edit.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying is when you look through the credits on this, this movie had some big names working on it, hitters. It's pretty cool that they funneled this much money into a movie like Deep Blue Sea, and I think on on you know, listen the visual effects. That's like third maybe twenty three seconds of subpar effects, but the rest of it just looks gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Also totally.
Speaker 1: The production designer, the original production designer made the like like he got in some trouble because he made the like wet lab floor like tile and everyone was complaining about it, like why would tile be in a wet lab because you're just gonna slip all over the place. And that's why that's why Thomas Jane's always laying down Like it's just like you can see Sam Jackson just pushing Tom Jane by feet because he's just laying on the ground the whole time. But yeah, so they were complaining about the floorine and that was like a big issue on it. So I just wanted to put that out there, but yeah, I mean a tile in a wet lap is kind of crazy, but it's some interesting.
Speaker 2: Today we'll go through the credits and we'll rank everybody on how how could have a job they did everyone in the whole credits. The next time.
Speaker 1: That'll be our next one hundred. We should just do like a minute by minute naming credits.
Speaker 2: Just name by name, one episode dedicated to each person name by name. There is so before we close out the show, we need to know, Bubba wee, what are your top four shark movies?
Speaker 5: Well, so I was thinking about this, and you know, I already said I haven't seen pretty much any anything that would be classified as a shark movie. And so I was just trying to rack my brain and like go through some list and figure out what movies have I seen that have a shark in them somewhere? And I ended up with a list of ten movies, and half of them are movies that I do not like. That I didn't write that one down, but the ones that I wrote down are and we already mentioned my super ex girlfriend because that that has the scene with her, you know, g girl throwing the shark at her, you know ex boyfriends, you know, Luke Wilson's apartment through his window and that I think that's an awful movie. I do not like that one. There's Shark Boy and Lava Girl, you know, with a very young Jacob in there. From Twilight. We got Soul Surfer, which you know I watched that and you know the inspiring movie. I it was, okay, that's all right. I have Into the Blue, which is something that I have seen because my wife was a big Jessica Alba fan. I have zero memory of.
Speaker 2: The list. At some point I've never seen it. I've got on DVD, I've watched it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then of course I've got Shark Tale, which is another movie that I know I've seen, I have zero memory of it. Then the actual you know, decent Ones, We've We've got Aquaman, we have Mowana. You know maui Is spends at least sometime as a shark in there, which I like the second one, but you know, I'm gonna just stick with the first one. Here Finding Nemo. Of course, you got Bruce, and then I would say the Suicide Squad, you know King Shark that I love that movie. I think that's a fantastic movie. And then of course the top is is easily got to be Jaws. I mean, it's it is one that I watched, you know kind of you know, at this point when I watched it, it was like, how have I not seen this? And now it's like, no, I watched this like thirteen years ago now, because it was like the first episode of my you know, the first podcast that I did on my own, my film wise. You know, I've watched Jaws and Superman to the Donner Cut and.
Speaker 2: That's that was folks with focial guests on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a pool.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's useless information, but it's there good. I mean, we've had a guest before who picked clerks and put it in, and you.
Speaker 5: Know that that idea did pop into my head. I did consider adding that to the list, but I did not.
Speaker 2: Well, you're the the fifth person to pick Funny Nemo, the thirty first to Pictures, and the first to pick both Moana and the Suicide Squad. So yeah, you're making waves on the list nick most frequent guests. But we've never asked you this question before.
Speaker 4: I know, I was thinking that I'm like man and I'm looking through old notes. I'm like, no, no, no, So I got my list. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I mean I wasn't gonna ask move on, But Nick, what are yourself for?
Speaker 4: Number four with a bullet shark tail? Number three, Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. Number two, Deep Blue c Number one, Steven Spielberg's Jaws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you think you're clever picking the West Side Story, but.
Speaker 4: You don't clever. I think it's a great movie.
Speaker 1: It's a good fake. Oh Jaws. Nope, Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. Other Sharks and any other Steven Spielberg movie that you could really throw people off with.
Speaker 2: I mean, he produced Jurassic World. He didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say he didn't. Trying to think, who's this say there weren't sharks in the Jewel Well, I was gonna say, Saving Private Ryan.
Speaker 1: But people, ready player one? Does that have a shark popping up somewhere too?
Speaker 2: It's got a t rex. It's got a t rex. I don't. It's called King Kong.
Speaker 4: I think King Kong is not a shark.
Speaker 2: J He's not. I'm just trying to think of creatures us. Yeah, there's not in Indiana Jones films that snakes and bugs and rats and daians and outs.
Speaker 4: Who is that movie?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 4: No, that's not what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: List No, I don't think he's directed. He's directed any of the sharks.
Speaker 4: You probably such a bad time with John I mean he did have a bad time with Jaws a good points famously. So yeah, goonies, No sharks and goonies.
Speaker 1: But that got cut out.
Speaker 2: He didn't direct it.
Speaker 4: Nah he jess name is on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows? Disclosure day when we full of sharks, We don't know. It's all under wraps.
Speaker 1: What if it?
Speaker 4: And they like have those bug noise conversations.
Speaker 2: Almost stands on a boat for a lot of it. So there could be some sharks in Homstad.
Speaker 4: There's gotta be right.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be hook also dead alligator.
Speaker 1: She has some good alligator working Temple of Doom our crocodile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've reached the end of the show.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for joining us, guys.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Some boat stuff as well. Uh yeah, so that that will do it for our discussion at DBC one chapter thirty eight. Before we leave any plugs, Bubble Weet, you have a thousand podcasts would like to promote them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I have so many podcasts these days, but you know, I guess i'll I'll cover the ones that are currently, you know, the most active. And we've already talked enough about lyrical innuendo. You know, that's that's out there. We've we're a couple episodes behind. Uh, you know, we've gone a little bit off, but uh, you know, I think we're gonna record a couple episodes here in the next couple of weeks, and that'll definitely that's that takes That podcast takes a lot of breaks. But it's I don't see it ever going away anytime in the near future because as Nick said, and I agree, it's it's a lot of fun to record, and it's I do enjoy that show, so I don't see it going away anytime soon. But I do have my podcast Anthological, which you know both of you have been a part of it at least one one or two movies. And right now we are in the middle of the Sin City season and that podcast. Every season we pick a different Anthology movie and each week is a different segment is covered by a different host or group of hosts. And so we are right in the middle of Sin City a dame to kill for. So that's that's been a lot of fun. And then the next season we're going back to the seventies for the amicist tales from the Crypt and Vault of horror movie and those should be fun as well. And that we know, there's a surprising, a surprising number of different genres in anthology movies, and I've I gets a lot of different hosts, so you get a lot of different voices on there, and you know, I typically pop up just no more than once per movie is kind of my aim. And then another you know, my most recent podcast is called an Oral History of Movies by Minutes, where you know, this is a Movies by Minutes adjacent podcast, going scene by scene, but it is you know, within the Movies by Minutes community. And I have gone back to the very beginning and I'm trying to go as close to chronological order as possible, and I am interviewing the hosts of and producers of Movies by Minutes podcast. You know, I started with Star Star Wars Minute and you know, I've everybody has their own story and it's been fascinating to see you know, to talk to them and hear how they entered the community and how they decided to do that kind of project. Because it is like a niche within a niche within a niche.
Speaker 2: It's fun to listen to it. I've been listening since Star Wars minute.
Speaker 1: And Jay So someone liked my Mony Python Stupidity. They left a nice comment about it.
Speaker 2: Hey, nice, Yes, you talked hats, lots of hats, and with anthological I love being on it and listening to it. And I just have to highlight that Andy Gording episodes are always particular highlights friend of the show Andy. His one talking about the birth of his son in the Monty Python's Meaning of Life is just one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to. I think, just.
Speaker 1: So great guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he takes it in a very interesting way and is Since City one. I've I laughed so much, you know, kind of spoiler alert. He's not a fan of the Since City movies. No, he had never seen them before, but he had a lot of fun with his episode and it's very short, is only like ten minutes long. So if if you're not a fan of Sin City, that is the episode to listen to which it is The Dam to Kill for The Long Bad Nights Part one.
Speaker 2: When I heard he was being involved with that's interesting and I didn't think Andy would like these films. And yeah, that's right Nick. Any addition, Little Plugs, Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was here a couple episodes ago talking about a python versus gatoroid. What a time.
Speaker 2: Sure, we saved the crop for you.
Speaker 4: A couple. I don't know if it's out when this comes out. It might be out sooner than later, but keep your ears peeled for movies, films and flicks. Mark had me on and we talked about The Forbidden City and we discussed its kitchen fight which spoiler alert, Wow it is hateful drop last week. Nice it's out and I'm very excited. I'm going to re listen to it because I had such a good time recording it. It's fun, and I think Mark touched on a really good topic for another conversation that he and I will have like down the road. Uh, and that'll be a fun one to have. To exploding helicopter podcasts with our Power Will Slater, I've been on a handful of episodes over there, recently doing Half Past Dead Giant Test Attack versus mcafembot also horrible. And of course over at rabbit Hole podcast dot com you got lyrical and you end on myself and bubba weet. You already know what we're doing, so go check it out and give it a listen.
Speaker 2: Very nice, Mark any plugs.
Speaker 1: It's the Oursin City episodes and then the Forbidden City episode. Yeah, nice listen.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's more. My personal site is life assfilm dot com. You can check out some writing over there, going through Davidinch stuff. I've started twin Peaks the Return. I've just started doing that and kive an episode episode and you can follow this show whatever social media at Deep Blue Seapod, email us deep Seapod at gmail dot com. Next week I don't know, well, next week will be some kind of reptile film probably, but the schedule is schedule is open at the moment, so I don't know, look out for it. And before we go, I just want to give a massive thank you to everyone who's joined us this season on covering Deep We see one again so just thratle them off. Thank you once again too. Kim Morrison, Andy Gordon, Jerry Lewandowski, Joe two, David Brooke Tony Cogan, Professor Mike Dylan, Thomas Stonham, Judge, Fred Anderson, Rebecca Sharp, Roger Wistar, Matthew Simpson, Jim O'Cain, Narl McGowan, Courtney Small, Emily Slade, John Parker, Abe Mower, Scott Kay, Devaon Taylor, Maria Lewis, Kevin Culp, Christian bare Ross, Benisch, John Hickman, Petross, Pats silivs Hell and O'Hara, Matt Warrier, Sarah Buttery, dtr Jack Cooper, M J Smith, Dodtor, Darren McPhee, Simon Appleton, Bob White and of course Nick Rehack. And of course, of course thank you to the deep lucy players you've been hearing every week in our wonderful cast playing the roles in deeply say we've got to credit them every week, so of course you had. I played Dots, Jim mclocke and the Byrd Mark played Thomas Coggins, Emily Slade played doctor Susan McAllister. Norbert more Van was Sherman Preacher Dudley Hella Baxing der Walsh was Janet Higgins, DJ Valentineers, Russell Franklin, Jeanette Ward was Brenda Urns and of course nick Reehack was Carter Blake. And if you've en I hope you enjoyed them preparing as the deeply See script reading, because you'll be hearing the whole thing in its entirety in a few weeks time as a little bonus episode coming up soon. But for deep See one, chapter thirty three dive to thank you once again to wonderful guest Bubb Weight and Nick ree Hack, saybye bye. I have been Jay Kluet, now my carmar and we'll deep Blue see you next week.