Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: All Right, people, take out your notebooks and pencils and tribe rolls. You're listening to tech Talk Radio with true geeks. And by the way, I'm Besider and I'm a geek too.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm.
Speaker 4: Seana Weird, I'm Slick, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin leme.
Speaker 1: It's good to see everybody. I think this is the most we've had on a show in months.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can you is it room for all of these people in the screen.
Speaker 3: We're all fitting in here.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we were gonna have a guest today and I'm I'm kind of bummed because they weren't able to make it. And we were to talk about UFOs hmm, a little different kind of interested in that, So here for that. Yeah, I know you were like the first one to chime in. Oh, I'm ready, I'm ready. The reason is we'll just go We'll go ahead and talk about this. There's a guy named Luis Elizondo and he's written a book. It's called Immiment Imminent Imminent, Thank you. What is an imminent Imminent Inside the Pentagon's Hunt.
Speaker 6: Andy, do you smell burnt toast?
Speaker 5: What? Wait that?
Speaker 3: What would that mean?
Speaker 6: That would mean the stroke is real?
Speaker 3: Oh man, you were saying, thanks a lot, Thanks a lot, guys.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this guy, Lewis Alessandro has written a book called Imminent Inside the Pentagon's Hunt for UFOs and I guess he's the former head of the Pentagon program investigating UAPs.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what those are.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he's been on Joe Rogan's show. Uh.
Speaker 1: And this woman who knows him, Teresa Tendell, was gonna come on because he's going to be at the rialto theater coming up on the third. Uh. And she knows him as a former director of the Maryland State Muffun Chapter.
Speaker 3: M What is Muffun? Anybody know?
Speaker 5: I had that up on my screen. I did look that up in advance because you can find it keep going often Mutual UFO Network.
Speaker 6: Wow, all right, Oh well, okay, two UFO and UAP is Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well sounds like kind of cool. I really wanted to get her on the show, but just doesn't look like we were able to do that. Either way, we got us. So how's everybody doing?
Speaker 5: I like my flying sauces in purple?
Speaker 1: And all right, here's here's here's the go around here it is, has anybody experienced a unidentified flying object?
Speaker 7: Well, I tell.
Speaker 4: You what this one time he's up by the park. I saw this and they took me. Man, they took me, I swear.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, don't ask any new questions.
Speaker 7: You don't want to know what they did to me up there.
Speaker 3: Was it bad?
Speaker 7: It was bad? Yeah, I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 6: Did you like it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: Well that's a good answer.
Speaker 7: Okay, this show is getting off to a weird start.
Speaker 1: It really is really bizarre. Uh sho, sean your way out there.
Speaker 8: And uh, I can't say that I have. I mean, I've seen a lot of weird stuff in the sky, try and chasing the door of the lights in the space station, but it's usually something that can be explained or tracked, like a plane or space debris or satellites or whatever. But yeah, nothing, nothing in the extraterrestrial category.
Speaker 7: Anyways.
Speaker 1: You know, I kind of want did people talk about UFOs before Close Encounters of the Third Kind? You know, before the movie came out.
Speaker 8: I mean, you have to define UFOs, right, because it's like historic There is documentation of tribes and Indians with just the depictions of stuff in the sky, right, So what is that to them?
Speaker 9: That's in a UFO?
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: So I'm sure that over the years things have evolved and you get those legends that turn into myths and things like that, Right, So they kind of get passed down over the years and turn into you know, stuff that spooks spooks people slick.
Speaker 3: Well, have you ever experienced anything?
Speaker 5: Well, I was gonna say, I'm here in the two sumth metropolitan area. I'm going to assume that you and Justin may have heard of some people saying, because I've you know, I've heard it multiple times over many years. There were three lights and they moved in a manner that's unusual to you know, how airplanes fly. And there was a time I was staying far west of let say, Tucson, to be on the mountain over there and right yeah, picture yeah, and off in the distance I'm gonna say southwest, there seemed to be some aerial vehicles. You know, I won't say three lights, but yeah, it could have been three lights that seemed to be moving in a way I can't explain. You know, I'm not going to say I ever saw UFO, but because I remember somebody going, hey, come take a look, and I'm like, well, okay, but I'm just not sure. Have you not heard those stories, cause it's been you know, a lot of people around here have told it for many.
Speaker 1: Many I remember about ten years ago driving on the ten heading to California for a trip to visit the family, and it was over i would say, between Phoenix and Tucson, just a string of lights. And you know, now people say the string of lights and right away people say, oh, that's that's Starlink. You know, that's the Starlink satellites, and that's how it's But ten years ago they weren't doing that, and I remember seeing them and I've thought, what the heck is that? And it was just like in a row. But then again, I guess it could have been satellites were up ten years ago, so it's very possible.
Speaker 7: I've never personally had an experience.
Speaker 3: Even up in Colorado.
Speaker 7: Nope, no, no, I can't say I have.
Speaker 8: I will say though, that in my amateur radio days, right the stuff that I didn't hand radio. It's fun to tune in and listen to stuff that you don't necessarily know what it is, right, It's usually just garbled, but it sounds cool. So you could count that as I've probably heard alien stuff. But who here remembers doing SETI at home?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, SETI.
Speaker 1: SETI was the search for Extraterrestrial intelligence, right, correct?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So one of my mentors who just recently passed away, got me into SETI when I worked at Fox, So this would have been back in twenty ten, and I had it on any computer that I owned, and it was running twenty four to seven until they shut it down, probably four or five years ago. And it was just cool to watch, right, And who knows what they did with the data. It got sent to Berkeley and they analyzed it. But what did that mean?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 8: So maybe one day I'll get an email saying, hey, this piece of information that your CPU calculated was alien technology or something.
Speaker 9: That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 5: Help me out. It said it, because I remember hearing about it, and it was to me it was you installed a bunch of people installed software on the computer to assist with processing and searching of something.
Speaker 8: So basically think of it like crypto mining data data from Berkeley off of satellites and radio telescopes, Like they was just a peer to peer data exchange. Your CPU was processing raw like data from satellites and the gigahertz spectrums and very I mean you could kind of watch it. It would tell you what chunks you were you were scanning, so it would tell you like, you're on this array and it's scanning in the twenty three gigaheard spectrum, and it would just tell you was scanning that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and it's just there was just I mean, with all the different radio telescopes arrays out there, there's just so much data that we're pulling down. There was no way they would ever be able to do it themselves, even with a supercomputer. So that's why they created this happens And it was one of the forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it was one of the first, if not the first, like distributed cloud computing.
Speaker 9: I would agree with that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And it was very popular in the in the nerd community, and it was kind of fun to compete with your friends and say, hey, I've got this many chunks decoded.
Speaker 9: Or whatever whatever. It was you have this many points and it got people in trouble.
Speaker 8: So this was before crypto, right, right, So you had people installing them on work servers and things like that. I actually got in trouble for putting it on some computers at work that had higher processing power at the time.
Speaker 9: And was using the you know, the company's power on the internet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 9: So it just was because you could get a higher score than your friends.
Speaker 1: Isn't it a shame that you got in trouble for doing that? Not mining crypto?
Speaker 9: It was it, I know, I mean I knew better than that with crypto.
Speaker 4: Well that's the thing you mentioned using the you know company's internet or whatever. Honestly, it really didn't require hardly any internet because it would just go online. It would download a chunk of data and then it would sit there and chew on that data for hours and hours and hours and hours, and then once it had its results, then it would just upload that back to the to Berkeley and then it would download a new set of data. So it's not like you had to be connected to the Internet at all times.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you were actually helping the government and doing the research through different parts of the world.
Speaker 3: Wherever you were, and however you were able to connect.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so like the SETI is still exists, right, so that that part didn't go away. It's just this part of it the funding ran out or whatever, so you can still go check out and do SETI and all that stuff. And there's actually another program that kind of an offshoot event called HARP. It's I don't remember what the acronym stands for, but it's another high frequency radio project that uses your CPU power GP power to scan.
Speaker 6: High frequency active oral research program. They actually did something similar in order Lands three. When you got to a certain town in the game, they actually in game they had what looked like the standard arcade machine and they told you when you started playing this game in a game, they were like, hey, just to let you know, this is not just a game. You are researching folded proteins, yes, and the work that you're doing here. So now any gamer that played Borderlands three, and even if they only played that for like two minutes, they're now listed on a research paper because enough people played and did that that they actually managed to get the answers that they were looking for. Doing all the simulated protein holding and things like that. I'm like, you, guys, all you have to do is tap into the competitive nature of gamers, Like that's all you have to do, Like as Sean put it out, like, you know, coming in being like, yeah, I bet that really awesome new PC. These are a number of pieces I've gotten decoded. How about you there, Johnny, And Johnny's like, well, dang it, I gotta go get a new processor and catch up. Like just tap into that competitive nature and yeah, well we'll get it taken care for you.
Speaker 1: You know, kind of wonder with the technology that we have and the satellites that I've been put up, do you think that that's going to help in community, either communication or actually justifying that there could be intelligent life out there as an alternate world.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of theories as to why we haven't or you know, if we have, why we haven't had sustained communication with any form of extraterrestrial the couple of different theories. There's one that is the young universe theory, which the Milky Way is relatively a young galaxy in terms of the age of our universe. You know, we are we are still kind of at the at the early lengths of how long this place is gonna last. So it could just be through some works and flukes. We have just showed up first, and other biological life forms are still evolving, still catching up. There's also the Great Barrier theory, which is as civilization becomes sufficiently technologically advanced, they have to try and pass through what they refer to as the Great Barrier and survive and move on towards interstellar explorations. The great barriers basically, you discover the power of the atom, don't kill yourselves with it, don't nuclear planet, and so far known as the that and we're walking down the way to being like time for that test of the Great barrier that we are. We're gonna take an l on that one.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: And the scariest one for me is the great silence, which is there are tons of other species out there, and right now we're basically doing the equivalent of like taking a megaphone and screaming into like downtown.
Speaker 10: I'm from Earth and my name is Bob. Here's my address, here's the code to my front door. Here's how you find me in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we are telling everyone exactly how to find this, But the great silence theory is that all these other life forms that are out there, like there is one super predator species and everyone is like, dude, shut up, he is going to find you like you are telling him how to get in the shut up. It's gonna show up in your planet's gonna get turned into a marble, all right, marvel.
Speaker 1: When it comes to when it comes to movies, think about it. I mentioned Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which is a great movie. I mean even I think it still holds up today pretty much. I mean, the visual effects were outstanding, so it didn't you know, crack that that belief that something really wasn't happening. You had this amazing photography and then you had that great score. But you have the great characters, Richard Dreyfus, Melinda Dillon, the people they ran into that also believed in UFOs And then you know, is it a government conspiracy and just just a great movie?
Speaker 3: Again, I think it just it stands up today.
Speaker 1: But is there another movie that we're missing that maybe best highlights the search for extraterrestrial intelligence that maybe we're not even thinking about. I mean, Interstellar was that would that be close to it or Fire in the Sky, which a lot of people said that that was, and that was based on a story here in Arizona. I mean, I don't know if you guys remember that one came out in nineteen ninety three, and again it was based on a true story. James Garner I think was in the movie, and it took place in the White Mountains up near a globe, Arizona.
Speaker 3: Just a pretty pretty.
Speaker 1: Scary, pretty freaky movie about an actual you know, alien abduction. If you want to see the movie, it's streaming on Pluto TV, which is that free service again, Pluto TV.
Speaker 3: You can check it out there. I know, Slick. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Justin just said I was thinking about the same thing with methemal sale Meg. It only takes one borg, just one.
Speaker 7: Just the one. What about what about the movie Contact.
Speaker 6: With Yeah, no, that that is another good one.
Speaker 4: And what's the other one that just came out recently with Amy Adams or whatever? It was this kind of the same style of contact. It was people said it was very similar to that Arrival.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, I'll hear the thing.
Speaker 4: But here's my I wanted to mention this my favorite theory on one on all this is. You know, obviously technology has increased and we start to see more and more of these quote unquote sightings of of UFOs or potential aliens. I think my favorite theory is all of these other alien species out there are they're just funneling into the arena and getting their front row seats because we're about to blow ourselves up and they just want to get the best view possible.
Speaker 3: Weren't you cheery?
Speaker 6: I mean, I agree with them. I'm sorry. And there's the the one of the other things. Two things one looping backs. When we were talking about the movies, I'm gonna go a real old school I'm gonna go for the nineteen fifty one version the Day of the Earth stood Still?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah are oh yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not the Keanu Reeves one, you know.
Speaker 6: The OG nineteen fifty one, the original version of the Day the Earth stood Still where we had somebody land and they're like, we're here to help kind of because you guys are screwed. Man, Wait, what was it?
Speaker 3: What was the other one? There was a movie with a dog, do you remember?
Speaker 1: The dog was walking around with a human head, and that's when they said, okay, there's something wrong here. Uh, Pierce Brosnan was in it. It was a huge mass attacks, Mars attacks.
Speaker 5: That's the one.
Speaker 11: Jack Nicholson playing like eighteen different roles in that movie. I remember watching that in high school and we we I was in Navy j R.
Speaker 6: O TC in high school was the elective I basically lived in and we just like we had to pause the movie and stop when we saw Jack Nicholson's uh, his his army jacket when he was one of his general characters. Because there's there's a rule that they're always in Hollywood, if you're doing if you're portraying somebody in a military uniform, there always has to be something wrong. You not be a true, entirely accurate uniform. There always has to be something wrong so that people can't just be like, oh, you wear that and I can walk on base. He his army jacket had the same ribbons that my Cadet j R. O T C uniform had on because they use Navy Junior R O T C ribbons relative Like, wait a minute, that looks like a participation ribbon he generates. Look, there's the unit citation ribbon. I got that online like funny.
Speaker 5: Mean, as you mentioned that because I got in trouble for wearing a general steps like Big Time used to work on the basis, Yes, yeah, I lived on a military installation. I'm a military brat and I was wearing it because I got it in the second hand store and got I got my got my sponsor, I got my second step father. Big trouble because I refused to take it off. It's like, well, you can take off the hat and we can take off your stripes, all right.
Speaker 1: So if if you want to attend this event, uh, Louis Celizan though the author of this book, he looks pretty serious, looks like a very serious guy, h imminent inside the Pentagon's hunt for UFOs. It's going to be at the rialto Theater tomorrow as a matter of fact, so you can get more information about that if you want to check out the show. The doors will open at seven pm. Tickets are twenty bucks up to sixty dollars depending where you're going to be seating. It's reserve seating all ages six and over. And again, the door's open at seven The show will start at eight pm. And again, the guy's former ahead of the Pentagon's UFO investigation unit and it should be a really interesting discussion, especially if you like extraterrestrial science. You know, we're gonna have a serious talk about UFOs.
Speaker 3: I honestly enjoyed it. I thought that was pretty good.
Speaker 5: All right, we don't forget about served man. By the way, guys, that's to one the other morning when I think.
Speaker 1: That's the Twilight the Twilight Zone episode. Do you all remember that one?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Oh, just okay, you've got Justin. You had one episode Justin. I can't tell you, but you got a watch?
Speaker 3: Oh you have it? Seen it?
Speaker 5: Justin?
Speaker 4: It's really into the I'm not in a Twilight Zone or Black Mirror or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love Black Black Mirror was great too.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for him Charlie Booker to put out a brand new season of that.
Speaker 3: Sean, did you see any of those?
Speaker 5: No, why don't you two get together like this weekend?
Speaker 6: How are we gonna do this viewing party?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I'll tell you what. We'll take a break, we come back. We're we've got a guess that I do believe we're gonna have on the show. So again, uh, talking about a camera they've developed. He's been on the show before, So that'll be good. I know that'll be a lot of fun. And with both Sean and Justin, you know, with the broadcasting background, it should be interesting to see what he's gonna tell us about this brand new camera.
Speaker 6: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean dea Weird, I'm Slick, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm Justin.
Speaker 4: Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. We'll be right back and now fact to tech Radio.
Speaker 1: Some months ago, we were blessed to have Richard Newman from sub to R on the show and sub to are at the time it's put out this amazing green screen that kind of changed the whole process. And you may have seen the interview. It's available up on our website at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: But Richard had kind.
Speaker 1: Of teased a little bit that they were working on a brand new camera design. When somebody tells you that, you say, well, wait, you've got so many cameras out there on the market, how is yours going to be different? Well, when we all got a chance to see Richard pop into our screen here and the quality of the camera, we all kind of stepped back a little and said Wow, it's what they have developed at sub to Are and we're happy to have Richard Duman on the show again.
Speaker 3: Richard, it's good to talk to you.
Speaker 12: Thank you for having me back. I really love being here, so it's great. And of course you're just gonna have to hit mute and kick me off. I'm going to blather about our camera like crazy.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, the camera is neat because it speaks for itself. I mean, we look at the quality that we're getting off the camera.
Speaker 3: It's it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 12: It really is what we've set out to build from day one, which which is to give people a professional broadcast quality but with the ease of use of a webcam.
Speaker 5: And we do not.
Speaker 12: I think we called a webcam because we're not. I mean, that gives people the idea that you know, we're fifty two teeny tiny sensor, right, you know, we're not. We built this camera using a Sony iMX two ninety four image sensor, which is a micro four third censor for you guys and broadcast, you know that they're much bigger sensor, not quite cinematic yet, but for what we're doing, it's amazingly huge. It's like sixteen times bigger than what you find anywhere else. Allows us to use micro four thirds glass, which I should hold it up. This is this is all the bigger it is.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, not big at.
Speaker 12: All now, little teeny tiny guy.
Speaker 4: Is it front heavy with that lens on it? Or does it have like a mounting bracket to hold it onto a mount?
Speaker 12: Thank you for asking that question. It's got two quarter twenties on the bottom which allow you to adjust the center of gravity depending upon how heavy a lens you put on, because some glasses really heavy, some is really light, so you have a chance to adjust the balance. We have three of those on the top so you can also hang it from above. We also have rack mount groups. Can't see them too well, but you've got rock mount groups on the side, and you have rock mount groups on the bottom, which means that you can hang this thing and mount this thing from a gazillion different directions.
Speaker 3: In developing this camera, Richard, you're obviously we're looking for a solution for maybe a something that you had not seen in them market. What was that?
Speaker 12: What we started out with, you know, building a camera for Twitch and what we saw is when people got tired of a webcam. The next thing they did is they moved up to a DSLRYE. And DSLRs are complicated, they're cumbersome to set up, they're expensive by the time you get all the fake batteries and all the other stuff you have to do, and they're really not easy to use. I'll be honest. I got a DSLR that we use for, you know, behind the sceneshoots, and the first thing I do is put it on auto because I will never learn all of the commands in there, right, And we realize that that's kind of who our audience is. I mean, you really don't want to become an expert camera person. That takes years of study and and a lot of knowledge. So the thing that makes webcam great is that you know, you plug it any turn on works, but the quality you'll never get there with the teeny tiny sensors that they use. So we set out to build a camera that was based on larger format image sensor, larger format glass and then make that as easy to use as a webcam, and then keep the price down to where it's reasonable and it's comparable. And we went with micro four thirds because when you move up to a DSLR, you find that if you have a Sony camera or a canon Ae camera, only canon Ae lenses will work on it. And you can get lens of adapters in some work and some don't. But yeah, that's the problem. So the idea was Golden micro four thirds because micro four thirds is an industry standard. And while I will tell you that anything universal is not universal, it realized as it supports. We learn the hard way, but we support the basic power functions of micro four thirds lenses and this gives the end user the opportunity to select from a massive amount of glass that's out there and a really reasonable price. The lenses are interchangeable. That's the point we wanted to get to. The other thing we want We learned is that people need power lenses. They need power focus, they need power aperture. Our original camera that came out was a manual focus and if the camera is too far away, they can't reach the lens to focus.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 12: Going with microphort, the it's allows you to have on desktop control of focus and zoom and aperture. But now the fund begins because on the output side, so this is a this is a development camera, and what you'll see is you've got an HDMI output here, you have a USB going to get it right, Yes, you have USB output. We actually have video out over USB. We have dual on the studio four sixty. We have dual twelve gig SDI outputs. Plus we have a gen lock input, so if you're doing multiple cameras, you can genlock them. And then this sweet little thing, this is called an SFP plus cage, and the SFP plus cage allows you to buy little off the shelf modules I see Matt nodding his head, and convert the video output in absolutely anything you want that's off the shelf. So if you wanted this to be optical output and have a forty kilometer range on it, you can get you can get a module that slides in the back. If you have a square one that has HDMI and you go, I really want upgrade SDI, you can buy an SDI, can vert or vice versa. That's really the advantage of these SFP cages. You can ndi IP. That's what I think is a really cool feature about the camera is that you're not stuck with a video output and all of our outputs are depending upon the video format is a four K sixty output camera is a native twelve bit color depthning find your outpuit it usually drops to ten, but inside all of our processing is done. It's all the color. The other thing that's important for broadcasters is that we have virtually no latency. The most you will be is one frame behind reality or sixteen milliseconds.
Speaker 4: So does the processing happen on board or does it utilize the computer that it's connected to to process.
Speaker 12: No, all the all the processes happen on board. We run at This is an FPG eight that based camera. There's no ask on board, which means that all of the video pipeline is software based, and so we can you can upgrade it, you can modify it. Our dream down the road is to make it modulars and you actually have access to parts of the ip you know, the image processing pipeline, and can make changes yourself. So if you want to, for instance, adjust the color converter at the end, if you want to add in you know you don't like the way we do, demo's egg and you can implement your own demos agging. Our goal of this camera was to make it an open architecture, not open source open architecture because we believe that building a platform for people to innovate is where this is going to be very powerful. I'm willing to bet we're the only camera company in the world that if you crack the case etched on our motherboard, it says, if you've come this far, explore, innovate, and create, And we actually give you places to hook into the major components on the motherboard, and we give you the knowledge base and the tools to play.
Speaker 7: Oh wow.
Speaker 12: We started out being R and D guys, right, you know, engineers exploring and we needed to build a platform. So this is basically a dead kit shoved in a box to make it look like a beautiful camera. On the back, there's a little bank of square connectors.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was wondered about that.
Speaker 12: We offer a external ice wirt C comport. Ice wort C is kind of a universal language that electronic components talk to each other the very simple slow communication protocol. We also have a PTO of power takeoff on the back as well, five bolts, so it's available to drive certain things. If you wanted to control, for instance, our green screen, you don't have to have a separate control panel for the green screen and for the camera camera can control a green screen. Our goal again down the road is it can also control the lights in the It can also control a gimbal. It can also control a cat feed. Or we don't care. That's the beauty of I squirts see is it doesn't really care. You just say this address is this device, here's the registers, here's how you write to it, you know, and you can send commands back and forth to the host command panel, the control panel. You have one point of entry that allows you to control what's going going on in the room. And if you carry this to the extent that we want to. You think of auto exposure. Auto exposure just changes the aperture and the exposure on the camera itself, but does nothing to the outside environment. What if auto exposure could adjust your lights?
Speaker 7: Oh wow, that's a good thought.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 12: Now when you talk about the single person's studio, which is really where we're focusing, which is what everybody is right here and now every one of us is a single person's studio. We've designed this not just to be a camera, but be the focal point of a single person studio and make it easy to use.
Speaker 1: What was that moment, like when you got it together and you looked at it and you said, this is amazing, Like we're looking at it, looking at the quality. And for our listeners that are listening on the radio, if you go to our website, you'd be able to see the quality we're talking about.
Speaker 12: You've been a long journey. We've been on this path to twelve years. We can spend hours and probably shots of tequila talking about all the disasters that we've faced, from exploding motherboards to a vendor promising a forty dollars part that ended up costing us almost thirteen hundred dollars. You know, I mean it's just every mic dropping engineers, I mean taking everything with them, everything you can imagine. But this has always been our dream. And seeing the video coming off of our camera was was that moment, you know, and we said we did it. We pulled it off. We did what we had set out to do, which is not a simple task. And I remember us sitting around going when we first thoughted this, going, how are can you be to build a camera?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 12: And we had you know, we had the pontificating trolls and said, wow, you can build a camera. For forty dollars in parts. What are you guys talking about? You can if you slap a module on in our duino, maybe, but if you really want to build a camera and you start from the ground up, it is is not an in significant task. I mean, the last statistic I saw is Apple has eight hundred w two engineers doing nothing but working on the camera for their I phone. We laugh, We build our camera for what they spend on coffee and bagels.
Speaker 1: So the marketing that's got to be a chore as well, because the next step is getting it into either retail or getting it into the hands of the person that wants to buy it. How will you do this? Is it going to be through you.
Speaker 3: Know, somebody goes to the website they could order it, or will they.
Speaker 1: Be able to walk into a high end camera store or a best buy and be able to buy it?
Speaker 7: So we're.
Speaker 12: We found it with the green screen, and the green screen was a great way of understanding our customer base. It was it kind of a fun experiment. You know, who's interested? Who's buying this thing? Wasn't people we thought we're going to buy. What drives people to us to buy that are experts in the field using it going wow, this just was like, why didn't I think of this? This is a mind blow. So our plan is to build a small set of the cameras. We've got most of the parts in stock right now, and to get those in the hands of people who have two qualifications. One they understand a camera, so they understand and can talk about why this camera is different, why it's different than a webcam, why it's different than a DSLR, why it's the kind of camera if you are going to elevate your strain you want. I mean, they just you know, somebody who sells cosmetics is not our kind of influencer, and not necessarily every gamer could be an influencer. We're really looking for those people who understand and can convey to their base what it is, and then some as obviously people who have a respected following. Doesn't mean you have a million people, but it means that people come to you and seek advice. But honestly, we have a larger challenge before we get to market, and what is that up into the pandemic. We were founder funded, We were self funded. It it was you know, I joke, but slaughtered for o one case and liquidated savings in every body part we could sell on craigs and this straight we found a sole investor. I had four hundred and fifty doors slammed in my face and found a sole investor and absolutely look to be the perfect combination. I love this guy, by the way, super nice guy. We weren't even talking about investing. He said, Hey, just had a curiosity. You guys looking and raise money? Yeah, said how much? Throughout a number? He said, okay, And we got half of it, which carried us through the pandemic and got us to this camera. It got us the green screens, it got us the mouse, it got the glasses in production. I mean it was fabulous. And it came time for the second half in their bankrupt oh man. So that kind of was a shock to us because we kept asking them and they said, oh, we won't take carry no more. Don't worry about So we cut everything, absolutely everything except the very essentials. It's down to the four of us again in one engineer and the four founders again, keeping it afloat as best we can while we seek for a replacement. And that becomes the challenge for us. The difference is we have a product that's amazing. We're ready to go into production, and it's finding that person that says or that investor that says, hey, I'm willing to pick up the pieces and run with it. That's a huge challenge for any startup. Hardware is tough. Telling me build a camera. Nobody wants to talk to you. But I only have two hundred more to go and then I catch up with the last last numb which I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 1: A man, So are you planning to go to CS for twenty twenty five and obviously too, you know they have the exhibitor showcase where people get out there and they show they're good looking for investors.
Speaker 12: So I'm wondering, Yeah, they have that, they have that investor out I mean, you know, that's a good idea. I wasn't thinking I'm going to see us. We uhould get NAB right, just right, Yeah, because NAB is more.
Speaker 3: Like that's the focus.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but I should look into CEOs. I haven't been to see us in a couple of years.
Speaker 6: The other thing to think of, when you're talking about trying to find potential investors, who had said, you know, kind of the start that you were looking at creating this for you know, looking at streamers and creating a more professional feel for those streams. So you could also look at going to something like Whitchcon. I mean, you have big name streamers who have more money than frankly any of us are ever going to see in our lifetime, and it would I mean, uh, I off the top of my head, there's uh, there's a guy he's now what is it streamer sense say. I used to follow him for your when I was starting out for all my tips things like that. But you know there are people like that who would happily slap their name to be associated with something like that out the gate and be like, oh you need X amount of dollars. Well, okay, let me call my finance guy. But you know if you also if you go to something like twitch Con, then you're getting in front of all those people.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and we usually we usually do twitch Con. We did twitch Con last year. That was a blast. It was in Las Vegas and and we had tons of fun. And just the thing that that blew people away there is when I put a battery pack on the green screen and one of the guys picked up the green screen walk walked down the alley aisle with it. Oh oh my god. It just follows me wherever I go, you know, And we had is on display there. It was kind of a weird layout done and done Vegas before.
Speaker 3: So well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this, Richard, and I'm just thinking, again, I'm blown away by it. We talked about a little bit about it last time we talked, and I know that we'll talk again too. I am again excited about this. Can people purchase this now?
Speaker 3: Or is this? Is this going to be coming up?
Speaker 12: So that will be coming up. What I do right now is I'm taking reservations. They just go on our website and you can reserve it. It's a no obligation reservation. But what it does is it gives me a list. And it's very important for us because when I sit in front of an investor, I go, look, we're not only promoting this, and I've got to listen. You know, one hundred and two hundred people they're lying up ready to buy this thing right now. And so that's kind of the the approach we've taken. We're we're always very cautious. It was an interesting group. We don't like it to go out and antipicate, you know, in a marketing you know, spew and then I'll produce anything. We're the other way around. We want to have a finished product and say okay, now we're ready to go. You know a lot of people say, you know, when you take pre orders, I personally, I don't want to do that till I know one hundred percent I'm going to ship your product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, excitement.
Speaker 7: There's been many people gotten words about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah. And it's just not where It's not how we work, it's not how we want to build that reputation. I'd rather have one that we waited and when we were ready to sell. When you you know, when you commit, I'm sending you a product.
Speaker 8: So we do a lot of remote stuff at the university, right we do. We have sports venues spread out on all across campus. We use a lot of fiber. If I connect to this via a pair of single mode fiber, what is my connectivity to the device? Is it just video coming back? How do I control remotely from the user end?
Speaker 12: Just on a pair of fiber, you can get video and audio because the camera has dual onboard mics. Plus it's got an audio jack in the back, so you can essentially put a mic onto it if you wanted to control is over USB. But what we've done is we build a module that creates a mesh network, so then the camera becomes part of its own network and you can daisy chain these things together and so you can control you know, one hundred cameras from a single location, all over wireless mesh network and then you would just be running cable. You just be running either fiber or SDI back to wherever your editing station was.
Speaker 3: It's great stuff, Richard, give us the website address.
Speaker 1: Our listeners can get more about the green screen and of course the cameras and you know, and getting on this list because I might want to put my name on that list as well, because this is great quality and for broadcasts for on the list.
Speaker 6: Did you yeah, just put my name on the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So it's it's it's www dot sub to our sub the number two the letter R dot com. And then you know, if anybody out there has questions, just info at subto our dot com, drop me an email. I respond as fast as possible and you will get a response from me, not from an AI bought or some call center and some random part of the world.
Speaker 3: You know it'll be me awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for coming on tech talk Radio. Great stuff and looking forward to seeing this continue to develop.
Speaker 12: Thank you everyone for your hospitality and sing again soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Richard are if we want to remind everybody that you can find us on Facebook, Facebook dot com, forward slash tech Talkers, also on x at tech talk Radio.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then you know, if you have a question for the show, we love the questions. Well we'll get to one coming up a little bit later. You can just drop us an email tech guys at tech talk radio dot com. You could connect with us again on Facebook and send us the message there and we'll certainly do our best to get to answering it.
Speaker 3: And on YouTube we're also on there as well.
Speaker 1: We feature our tech segments, but most everything goes through our blog blog dot tech talk radio dot com. We will take a quick break, come back with more of tech talk Radio.
Speaker 12: Now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Rick Darringer Rock and Roll Uchi Ku, and you're listening to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 9: So during the break, I was just spewing information about that camera.
Speaker 3: Right we were talking about the camera.
Speaker 9: Were talking about that all day long, but Andy told me I how to wrap it up.
Speaker 8: So back to So let's shift gears and talk about drugs because everybody knows I love druns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's been no update to.
Speaker 8: The Anti Drone Act, right, We've talked about how there was a bill in the House that got passed to ban drones from China and specifically Dji. Well, we talked two shows ago about their new drone, the Air three S. The US Customs and Border Protection is currently blocking imports of that dram.
Speaker 7: Oh my god man.
Speaker 8: They say the action stems from concerns about forced labor practices and some other technology based concerns. Like I said, I think Dji was cramming in as many new models of drunes as humanly possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably at the cop that I can put my drone that's almost brand new, I can put it up on eBay for like a premium right now.
Speaker 8: I bet once the if they passed the Anti Drone Act, people are going to be flocking to places like eBay and other third third party resellers to buy existing drones.
Speaker 9: So hold on to them.
Speaker 8: But if you can, if you can get the new one's in great, but it'll be interesting to see how the drone the drone market goes forward here.
Speaker 1: They had told me at best Buy that because I went in and I was like, where's their DJ They used to have a display and it was gone and I was like, where's your display? And I said, always it in advance. He said no, no, we're just moving it. And then the next time I had gone in, they had put the display back up, but they had no drones in there. Does that mean like Best Buy doesn't even have them on the retail shelf.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know from what I could just quickly google and find out.
Speaker 8: I'll to do some research on it, but right now it seems like they're not being allowed to import it right now.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk about something I showed on television on Fox eleven this past week.
Speaker 3: But what it is.
Speaker 1: You may have seen the commercials with Shaquille O'Neill and his mom, Lucille, and they're talking about preserving Priceless Memories, which is a great ad campaign. It's the EPSO in Fast Photos six ' eighty w. This is a different type of scanner, not a flatbet scanner. It looks like a little printer and you just like you would feed the paper, and you feed the photos in and coordinating with your smartphone or your PC, you hit the scan button and it's scans of photos about two seconds per photo.
Speaker 7: Oh that's really fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: So and you know, I've been playing around with the YouTube and a snapchat and TikTok, and so I found oh, I'll do a video on this one. And I did, and Sean saw it, and unfortunately I cost Sean five hundred bucks.
Speaker 8: I haven't bought it yet because I have to talk to Klan about it, right, But so you guys, I've talked about this before. I did this massive photo and video archive for my family, right all throughout COVID, you know, twenty nineteen through COVID. And the one thing I was struggling with, and the thing I haven't tackled yet, is if I showed you the other side of my room, the basement. Down here, I have a few cardboard beer crates full of years and years and years and years and decades worth of four by sixes, oh man, without the negatives. So the negatives got destroyed, got lost, got thrown away. So I just have the four by sixes. Now it's a painstaking process. I have the absent V six hundred, which is a fantastic scanner, right, but I can only fit about four in there at a time, and when I'm scanning at eight hundred tpi, it takes four to five minutes per four and then I got to open it and take them out. I get fingerprints on the glass. Like it's it's a big pain.
Speaker 9: Andy had sent me a one minute video of this thing spitting out eight or nine pictures in about two minutes, so that's I could just I could just stack them in there and let it run. It's gonna go.
Speaker 8: Like I was immediately said this, I have to have this for this archive project I'm working on.
Speaker 1: If you're doing them on the computer or you're doing on in your smartphone, the cool thing, Sean is you can actually in just before you hit start scan, you can tag them so you can tell that this is from nineteen forty eight, this is from nineteen forty nine, this photo is was taken in the summer. You could tag it this is you know the weird family, or you know Caitlin's family, or.
Speaker 8: Right, that's that's one of the big things that I've been struggling with is who puts the data in?
Speaker 3: Yep, And that's right.
Speaker 9: The medicata isn't get there by itself.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I'm adding that stuff in manually when i'm you know, I bulk it, right. So it's like, I have this folder from nineteen eighty and I'm telling it this is these these files, these ones i'm scanning, are this nineteen eighty, this event, these people are in them, and I'm typing all that in while I'm scanning. So this is like, this is relatively do I've never seen this before. I would have searched for this.
Speaker 9: But the only thing, obviously obviously the faster you do it, the lower the dpi. Right, it says it'll scan up to one photo per second at three hundred Pi. That's pretty low for archive.
Speaker 8: Just from the BNH Photo review, it says optical residents and six hundred ppi max resolution twelve hundred ppi.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's even better. Well, that's what he can.
Speaker 8: Do, one photo per second at three hundred. Now, if you're just doing it for like uploading him for people to look at on the web, that's more than a life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't need to go six, you can go three hundred and there. Look fine.
Speaker 1: I said them to my kids and just to see what they would say, because you know, my my daughters are in them, and my daughter sent me, you know, back saying I can't get my eyes off dad's mullet.
Speaker 5: Oh you still have that there?
Speaker 3: I had the mullet back then. Yes, kids, Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 8: Encourage anybody that's doing any any sort of photo archiving. Look at this and it's it's on sale a little bit right now on B and H.
Speaker 5: So come on, Sean, just you know, you don't ask for permission, just forgiveness. You know, it's come on, you can do no. You don't know, you know, I'm divorced guy on the progra.
Speaker 1: It's the single guy on the show, the single guy of the show that said that, didn't.
Speaker 6: We have a tagline for one of the shows a few months back was me saying, I've only had to miss make that mistake one.
Speaker 9: Not to be fair, I have I have Impulse purchased on the show before, and Caitlin was the recipient of that, so maybe I could get away with something because it was the mad was like get the ution, I mean went online and bought it immediately, so I am an online impulse buyer, so I have to be careful.
Speaker 1: We're coming up to November before before we take a break. Who's getting the Microsoft sweater this year? Are they gonna do a new one?
Speaker 9: I don't know, but I probably buy it right now. It's gonna be hard to beat last year's with the Windows XP background.
Speaker 4: Oh, speaking of the Windows XP background, they actually just released a four K upscaled version of what do.
Speaker 7: They call it? Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it Bliss?
Speaker 7: Bliss? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they released a four K version of Bliss that you can download now for Windows eleven. That would that will fit you know, four K monitors.
Speaker 8: And I still have the tag from that sweater. Just happen you'd be sitting on my desk.
Speaker 7: So that's cool.
Speaker 3: Matt was looking that up. Did you see anything, Matt?
Speaker 6: I see something in the Xbox gear shot, but I don't see the official Microsoft one yet.
Speaker 1: They usually put them out by November first, so we'll have to hope that we'll have to take another look next week.
Speaker 6: Well, I definitely found what I'm gonna buy from my own ugly Christmas sweater that somebody made on their own is Clippy.
Speaker 3: The Clippy.
Speaker 6: It's it's Clippy sitting there on a stack of documents, and instead of like would you like help, it.
Speaker 3: Says happy holidays with a little.
Speaker 6: OK like right underneath it. So I'm gonna I'm gonna pick that up and just give tons of people uh PTSD flashbacks off on the shelf.
Speaker 1: We should sell shirts with Slick as the elf of the shelf and put him in different situations. I think that would be great.
Speaker 4: Elf hat Why why why are we doing that for Christmas? That's more like a Halloween thing. We want to scare.
Speaker 1: All Right, We're gonna take a quick break, we come back more of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: A listener question. We'll see if we can get to that one real quick.
Speaker 6: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean Weird, i am Sick, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin send us an X at tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 5: And now back to tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 8: So during the break we will take a look at the listener questions. And we have Bill Rancho from Mirage, California.
Speaker 3: Oh, Rancho, Mirage, we used that's where we started.
Speaker 9: Yeah, from over there, I'm from Midwest. That's Rancho.
Speaker 4: There's nothing mister Mirage, we have your answer, he asks.
Speaker 8: I'm tired of type trying to type into my iPhone with that little on screen keyboard. One of the reasons I missed my black Berry is that there was an actual physical keyboard that would easily connect and give me a keyboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said he.
Speaker 9: Would carry his desktop computer computer keyboard with him, but it would be covers. Well, I mean, yeah, right, yeah, any Bluetooth keyboard will work.
Speaker 3: They've got a couple that.
Speaker 8: Even They even have some that connect to the lightning adapter or the USBC for the new phone. So if you don't want to have a battery powered one, if you're looking for ones that are going to be more orgonomical, like get the ones that you can look at the ones they have for the iPads. They have them other So.
Speaker 1: The Logitech K four eighty is kind of cool. It's got a little groove you use it with the tablet or a smartphone. That one's kind of nice. And you could switch between three Bluetooth devices.
Speaker 3: So that's cool.
Speaker 1: But I want to check out and I think you just you just did a highlight of one.
Speaker 3: I want to check this out. Clicks.
Speaker 1: They it actually so your phone snaps into it and it gives you.
Speaker 3: Like a black blue it looks like a BlackBerry. Yeah, exactly like it.
Speaker 6: If he's talking about missing the BlackBerry keyboard specific I think clicks. I'm looking at this right now. Clicks is definitely the way to go. Your phone will snap in there and you'll have the same old school feel of that BlackBerry keyboard with like the physical pressable buttons. But you know, a concern someone would have with that is like, well, I'm I going to lose the other features with this case. But I'm seeing like you're still having mag Safe is built in there. It's got passed through USB, so you're still able to transfer your data like you're you get all that space on your screen that normally where your keyboard like comes up, get all that back because you have the physical keyboard, so your screen looks like two times size. Now, So that's that might be the way to go.
Speaker 3: A little pricey though, aren't they. I mean it's yeah, it.
Speaker 7: Looks like a little prissy. About one hundred and.
Speaker 3: Sixty clicks dot tech is the website addressed.
Speaker 1: So that's it for this week's tick Maark Radio. I made me tailored I'm Sean.
Speaker 6: Weird, I am Slick, I'm mat Joe, and I'm Justin.
Speaker 4: Let me find us on the web tech talk radio dot com. Have yourselves great week.
Speaker 7: See you, m