Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with me today. Troy HUTCHISIM from Go Easycats dot Com. No with us is Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is high on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 3: The jingle was going to take a day off anyways, starting up with some local stuff. Arizona Track and Field finished middle of the pack, I believe eighth at the Outdoor Championships in Lawrence, Kansas this weekend. The men finished with forty eight points while the women finished with forty six, and both teams finished ahead of ASU.
Speaker 1: So so do we did they have any champions or anything like that, winners of their division or competition?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Raynaldo Rodriguez first place finish in the men's long jump, and then another highlight was Aaron Tack who set the program record and javelin and finished second.
Speaker 4: Okay, and the javelin toss. So they'll be on their way to the into the LAS likely Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: First round starts out May twenty eight through the thirty first at College Station in Texas.
Speaker 4: Okay, keeping it going.
Speaker 3: The cactus logo is set to return to McHale for twenty uh for the twenty twenty five twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 4: So the love of the old people will be happy because they get to see that again. Yeah, I love it. And they gave the fans some options to vote on. Oh did they or would they see this? So I didn't see this on Twitter and Instagram. They gave them four court designs to choose from on Twitter. Okay, so it was another vote by the young kids, probably because nobody my ages that stuff, and there's Facebook.
Speaker 1: Did they have a chance on? Probably does like Twitter and Instagram. Hey, Mildred, what's that thing called Twitter? X?
Speaker 4: Twitter? Whatever? What Instagram? I just see a girl have a MySpace? So yeah, it's try. Hey, by the world, did you get our AOL email? Exciting stuff though, I mean the logo I always I love the logo. Yeah, the logo looks it's great obviously having never actually seen it on the court, I mean, yeah, it's spin, it's spilled. Yeah you' you know, I mean like you've seen pictures of it, you know what I mean? They didn't have it on the court. He's been he was He's not from these parts. Oh okay, Okay, okay, he's just busiting. Yeah, I don't know. For California, Oh yeah, for sure, keeping it going though.
Speaker 3: The baseball team is I'm sorry, I got the softball stuff up, finished forty eight and thirteen and talking about it all day.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I guess there's not good enough for Troy. But are you doing doing what he's done for me?
Speaker 1: Late?
Speaker 4: Latly? Yeah, I need'd be a tough sale at Texas A and M right now. Oh no, what history do they have? Good? I mean, it's embarrassing. It's embarrassing. You shouldn't lose Liberty in the they're hosting a regional but and they got a bad drop. Liberty is a better team than what they see than the mat So who say and them got? Yeah, Liberty, you never number one team the Cocher. We're gonna be the best team in the coutch.
Speaker 5: I know this year wasn't very anyway, anyway, we can go on. I'm sure we'll circle back to it. Baseball team had a series with Houston over the weekend. They won the series, lost the first game, and they are looking forward to the Big twelve championship.
Speaker 4: I know you don't have this. Maybe do access to what are in the last ten fifteen games. Not good? Not good. It's like they're tailing off with the wrongs baseball because it's happened before. It happens every single time. I wonder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had a four one two three four four game.
Speaker 4: Streak and that includes against last place Utah Utah GCU. Would they always have trouble with for whatever reason? H yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, So they're looking forward to the Big twelve Championship Baseball Championship obviously it starts on Thursday.
Speaker 4: And which do you have news on that? U? B y U or A s U about the they're going to relocate involve championship to Phoenix the surprise? So who who broke that? And I I somebody told me today as I was driving A Yeah, I saw this morning. I wonder how where it starts. I don't know why you picked surprise though there are so many nice facilities. Well, who's whose home field is that?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the Reds? Who's who's surprise? They're gonna play on somebody's field?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Kansas City Royals and the Rangers also play there. Okay, Well, you know what's a nice facility? Mm hmm. Yeah, they could have picked They could have picked anything pretty much. I just meant something more centrally. The access for everybody. Yeah, that's what I saw.
Speaker 3: That it's like the farthest one from skytt Harbor or some something like that.
Speaker 4: But once you're out there, you're out there. Hopking Stick Scottsdale has a couple, you know, the Angels.
Speaker 1: He's just trying to be the contrarian today. No, just red blue blue.
Speaker 4: As far is it?
Speaker 8: Like, what part of Phoenix is it for here?
Speaker 4: For here to two from Tucson to there, it's like adding an extra hour worraffic. Oh really, it's like by GC or something. It's weird. It's out there. Oh man, Yeah, that is kind of far drive.
Speaker 3: Keeping going though and moving on to professional baseball, Diamondbacks start their three game series against the Dodgers at seven to ten day.
Speaker 4: What was the series this last one? Who Diamondbacks and Dodgers?
Speaker 3: Oh split the four gamer to Yeah. Yeah, tough divisions, so we'll see how that. I'm keeping on it as a Giants fan, so yeah, the I mean we talked about a little bit, but Tyrese Halliburton is inviting the Pacers fan who got a bunch of trash bags thrown at him in New York. After the next one, he's inviting him out for Game four. It's pretty cool stuff, I think. Yeah, taking so did you see that.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happen like yeah, it was okay, So like the nixt one, right, and then you know it wouldn't I think they were in New York when they won over the weekend, and so you know, crowd's going crazy, as the New York Knicks fans always are, and there's you know, there's a mob outside. Streets are filled, and there's a guy. There's one guy just walking in a Pacers jersey. And the Pacers already secured their ticket to the Eastern Conference Finals, obviously, and so there's a mob following it, like a huge like probably like at least seventy people, you know what I mean. And you know they're just picking up like like full trash bags, you know what I mean, like off the sidewalk and just like New York, yeah, exactly, and they're just throwing it at this guy.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: It was okay. I'm not saying they did the right thing. That's all horrible team to do but what was he doing? But you know what you're doing. You know, it's crazy New York. What the heck are you thinking?
Speaker 3: No, seriously, and it's like it was funny. I was watching because he made an appearance on the Pat McAfee show. He was like, yeah, I was just trying to keep my head down and like just walk because you know, you don't want to run in a situation like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, grown man? How old? Uh?
Speaker 3: I'm I don't think it says how old he is, but it says he's a firefighter, so he might be.
Speaker 4: Thirty or older. Yeah, so he knew what he was doing. I mean, first of all, what the hell you're doing?
Speaker 1: And you're that old word of jersey from the other team and an opposing team's place.
Speaker 4: In New York, New York. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're instigating it. Yeah, you're thinking this. He is gonna have some fun. See see what comes up this?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess it worked out though.
Speaker 3: I mean's free tickets the game for in Indiana, so you know, I had a little fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: He gets to see them lose a home cool. Yeah, who do you know in that stree? You think of the next okay, oh, I owe you twenty bucks. You do, I was gonna bring that up twenty. I owe twenty. I forgot yeah paid.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, he owes me twenty because I took back by twenty from the Denver Oklahoma City series, So he owes me twenty.
Speaker 4: I'll give you the twenty.
Speaker 3: Moving into that thunder one yesterday one twenty five to ninety three against the Denver Nuggets in Game seven to punch their tickets to the Western Conference semis or sorry finals, and they are gonna be going against the Wolves.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be an interesting one, should be. I'll take Okay, see, I'll take September Wolves. I like, what about? What about the other one? What in the yeah? Said Nick? Next, Oh, I see some more the wagers being made twenty and twenty Nixon six and Wolves in six. Okay, I'll take both. I'll take your opposite. No, no, we have that twenty. I'll get you the twenty. You want to bet the other two two for twenty, I'll do the next series. Okay, I goodcause I already bet with him. Okay, yeah, no, I won't do the Wolves, but i'll do the X. Give me a chance. Man, give me a chance to make Are you gonna your own odds to No? No, I don't ask.
Speaker 1: I'm not that guy. I'm not gonna say you'll give me two points now, Dude. If I like that game, I would like to take.
Speaker 4: I like the.
Speaker 1: Blonde will say hello, how are you and then deal with it later.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I like the Wolves, and you know I'm gonna just call it. I like Wolves, take the whole thing, all of it. I gotta be honest. I like the NIXT.
Speaker 1: I don't want to take money for my intern but you already don't get paid here.
Speaker 4: I'm not a better guy. Welcome to the gambling hour, man. I just like to make calls, just like show people that I know sports. That's it. Yeah, that's a good take. Oh this is an interesting one too. Uh.
Speaker 3: The ex Nuggets coach Mike Malone, he's gonna be joining ESPN's coverage over the Thunder and Wolves like series.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you can come and talk because his team's gone. He want to get picked up somewhere. Did those Suns a job they're doing their I think second round interviews this week? Did anybody know who they are?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: No, doesn't really matter who did. I mean, they're keeping them pretty steal old. I know there's been some names league, but nothing like Major. It's going to be like this, some coaches type of fire.
Speaker 3: Oh it's interesting. Oh, this is kind of a big story over the weekend. I guess, well, Katelyn, I mean, you know obviously.
Speaker 4: W n B A oh yeah, yeah, the little ricus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little little fractus that went down whatever in Indiana. I don't know, I didn't think it was that big of a foul. I didn't even think it should have gone a flavorance.
Speaker 4: But no, it was a good fowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she she fell down and you know, blah blah blah, it was a foul.
Speaker 4: She sold it to make it was aol. I'll give her that, But yeah, I don't know, I didn't think it was that big of.
Speaker 1: A My old thing is the crowd afterwards, the or the the you know, the racist stuff that.
Speaker 4: She gets come on. Really yeah, just kind of like times we live in, the stupid times we live in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was crazy though. I saw Kaitlyn Clark's like tied third all time and like triple doubles in the w.
Speaker 4: She just got her first one, first game, first one. Yeah, I mean that was just crazy. They killed them. Yeah, yeah, I was a recent pretty damn good. She had like seventeen rebounds in the first two minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm kind of split on angel rees just because like she is good, but she a lot of those rebounds, a lot of those rebounds are offering missus.
Speaker 4: You know, put it back five times five rebounds right there exactly.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Where did you guys eat today? You guys are grumpy. We did it, that's the problem, Steve, Yeah, you mind me? Yeah? And what got.
Speaker 3: Moving into well, I guess golf Scotti Shuffler won the pg A Championship made a comeback on I think the last day that a lot of people were talking about Eagles coach Sirianni you got a contract extension. I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, I feel like he just won the super Bowl. Yeah, just won the Super Bowl. I just, man, I don't get where the Eagles are getting all this money from. Man, It's like they're paying Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: Geez. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then uh, there's a little one that was just personal for me.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Fred Warner got a three year contract extension for sixty three million, and he's the highest paid livebacker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So were you okay with the quarterback getting whatever? You got to? Sixty five?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think fifty three a year, isn't I mean, he's gotten to the super Bowl. No one expected it. Yeah, he had a down year last year, but the whole team had, like was pretty much decimated by injuries. So it's like you're missing your last like, you're missing your left tackle, you're missing your number one receiver, you're missing your running back who sometimes is also a receiver. The defense was busted it up, so it's just it's gonna be a tough year either way. But I mean that's what happens, super Bowl hangover kind of thing. So I feel about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, anything else? Are you doing any writing as your place?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You just sart. It look pretty a little bit of both.
Speaker 8: But no, I.
Speaker 4: Very nice. What what do you mean? What do you mean very nice? Your situation? You're not having to write? That's good? I know, I know, but no, I need I need to.
Speaker 8: I need to.
Speaker 4: Football evaluations. We're going to be doing a quarterback stuff is positioned by a position breakdown of what Arizona has setting into a training camp, what they need to look for and that's already two months away June July. Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, because they started on the thirty first, right, they're one of those weeks zero usually a month, uh the week sarre I thought there week one, it's thirty first, thirty first. Yeah, that's when Hawaii or who they play. I think that's when they play Hawaii. Yeah, that makes sense. Then that's that's it for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're good. I think let's go because we're gonna give a call from Toby.
Speaker 4: We're gonna call him to Okay, yep, there we go.
Speaker 2: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus box just after this nationwide keyword on our website happy Happy, that's happy. Enter it now box Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready Enterprise.
Speaker 12: Of Fasco Yuki Try the window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsyisles of in stock cabinets of g in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 7: Spring is in the air and this school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 4: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 7: They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrix syn credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with ut notice.
Speaker 6: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. You're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Go cats, got.
Speaker 14: Bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 15: Why is mining so important. It's the foundation of everything that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in the process.
Speaker 4: That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 12: Go to YBM dot com Looking for quality windows without the weight. Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of Millgard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your Mildard Window experts.
Speaker 2: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio while this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Troy Hutchesson from Goezycats dot com. Now on the phone, we have Toby a walk out from the UFA basketball program.
Speaker 4: Toby, how are you.
Speaker 8: I'm doing well. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Great to have you.
Speaker 1: Let me say this because I've always want to say this, and I didn't say this at a press commerce when we've had you guys up on the podium. If I'm Tommy Lloyd and I'm looking to and i know I'm going to the Big twelve and I've seen Toby play, I'm thinking I need that dude on my team because I'm going to Big twelve. Did they say anything like that because you fit the Big twelve perfectly?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 4: Not really.
Speaker 10: I think more so coach was talking about when he was recruiting me during the whole transfer portal process that I kind of fit his play style, and you know, he likes to play big and.
Speaker 8: Kind of crush guys inside. So that's mostly what he was talking to.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what you do because you did it very You do it very well, especially you know with Henry and then not with Henry at times.
Speaker 4: So you know, Teby, I've Steve's covered u of A basketball for a long time. I've grown up here in Tucson, so I've seen a lot of UFA basketball, and I can't remember a player that rebounded the way that you do out there on the court in terms of yes, there's been great rebounders, but it looks like you take rebounding very personal on a different level than most players out there on court.
Speaker 8: No, I appreciate that. Yeah, I mean it's really just been a mindset. Honestly.
Speaker 10: I just start taking it seriously to around my junior year in high school.
Speaker 8: You know, my.
Speaker 10: AU coach at that time, Dana Dingle for the New York Lightning. You know, he said, that's kind of like your meal ticket, you know, to getting the eyes of a Division one coaches on you.
Speaker 8: And from then on I just kind of took it.
Speaker 10: Really serious and tried to perfect it and make it sort of the forefront of what I was focused on whenever I was playing. And then you know, obviously defense included, and then obviously you know ingratiating you know, my offensive game too. But yeah, I've always tried to focus on rebounding, sort of a.
Speaker 8: Hanging my hat on that.
Speaker 1: So so now we know that, right, So now what are you doing on the offensive end in the summer? Typically, And I've covered this team for a long long time and seen some great players come through. So the season is the season, but the summer is for you to or the player to get better at doing something right, either dribbling, shooting or whatever. What are you doing this summer?
Speaker 17: Really?
Speaker 10: Just been working on my shot, getting more comfortable with it, being able to shoot it at game speed, working on footwork getting into my shot.
Speaker 8: So that's really been a focal point really, and then also just.
Speaker 10: Being able to you know, handle the ball, have a better feel for the game in that sense, sort of be a connector of the offense. Uh, you know, get guys into different actions, whether it be you know, dribble handoffs or screens, things of that nature.
Speaker 4: No, No, before you left to go back home, you were working with the assistant coaching staff and the coaching staff on your game. How did that How did that process go? And I know you just talked a little bit about what you guys, you know, partially of what you were working on. But what feedback did they give you during that time?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 10: I mean I think they definitely saw improvement, for sure. I was working with coach Ken a lot. We were doing a lot of stuff, you know, full speed in terms of dribbling and then kind of really breaking down my shot and working on some rhythm things.
Speaker 8: And then also you know, create the coach rounds.
Speaker 10: You know, he's not somebody that that gets talked a lot, you know when it comes to the staff, but you know he's really been pushing us in the weight room.
Speaker 8: So I definite feel I've gotten you no more athletics stronger for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 1: Again, if you work on your offensive game, who knows what you're capable of doing all around. And there's been, like you say, some pretty good rebounders. He's among among the other ones.
Speaker 4: What are you doing in New York? Did you just going home for the summer to work on your game?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Really, it's just a visit family. I haven't seen him in a while. I haven't been back home for a little bit, so really just to hang out with them. I work out with former Syracuse player uh Tyler Lyden. He played for the Nuggets and the Kings a little bit in the NBA, so he's from, you know, the area that I'm from, So I've been working out with him, and then also you know, just staying in the weight room, lifting things like that.
Speaker 8: But really it's mainly just to be here family and you know, hang with them.
Speaker 4: You know a lot of players when they say they're from New York, uh, there's that sense of New York pride, New York basketball. How do you do you feel that and how do you go about that? Because it is something out here on the East, on the West Coast that a lot of teams look for. Is that is that East Coast toughness?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I think.
Speaker 10: Being from New York, being from Hot Park and then also going and playing you know, high school ball in the Bronx and in the city as a whole, I think there's definitely like a type of grit and toughness that comes with playing basketball in New York. You know, games can get very competitive and you know, it's it's just one of those things where like growing up, everybody's playing no matter what sport they might end up playing in high school and become more specialized or focused in growing up, everybody's playing basketball, So you know, it's one of those things that gets competitive very early on, and you know a lot of kids, you know, take pride and you know with in those one on one matchups at the park or you know, even at school during recess things like that.
Speaker 8: So that's kind of the environment that I grew up around.
Speaker 10: And then obviously New York City basketball is, you know, a Beastern monster of its own.
Speaker 8: You know, there's definitely deep sea the.
Speaker 10: Rivalries from Burrow to Burrow when it comes to different schools playing against each other. So, you know, just growing up in that environment, I think that's kind of what has mowed me into the player that I am today.
Speaker 1: We're two months removed from the team from the season, and yourself, how would you evaluate how you did personally and the team did personally?
Speaker 4: At the end?
Speaker 10: I thought, you know, I did decently throughout the whole season. I think the beginning of the season was a tougher stretch for me. I think I was still filling out sort of the system and what my role was, and you know, I kind of think that towards conference play that I started to find my groove and started to become more comfortable, sort of more so established myself. I think towards the end of the season, foul trouble kind of got me into some issues in terms of you know, being able to be available to play on the floor and things like that. But I definitely do think that, you know, mid season that sort of hit my stride and definitely started to grow as a player for sure. And then from the team aspect, you know, I was really proud of the way that we were, that we were able to bounce back. You know, a lot of people rolled us off. I did that tough start in the beginning of the season, and you know, there was a lot of noise, a lot of you know, just a lot of nervousness and the fan base and all that. But you know, credit to coach Lord and the coaching staff. They sort of stolled rallied around us and and you know put us in a position to be successful on the court. And honestly, I think we could have made it farther than the three sixteen this past season. But you know, obviously we we went up against a Juggernaut and Duke and you know they had a you know, plusor those high level players on that scene. So but nonetheless, you know, I'm definitely proud of where we ended up, and you know sort of how you battled back to a sort of resurrect or.
Speaker 4: Season Middleway, Toby. A lot of people, I don't think realize how much of a bookworm you are. I know you kind of shared that story throughout the season this past year. What are some of the books that you kind of put together for your summer reading and and just give us some background on that if if you do have a book plan this summer, I don't think.
Speaker 10: I necessarily put together a book list for this summer. I think I have I see that I'm looking to read Jordan Peterson World, a new book. I think it came out in November, but I haven't really gotten a chance to read it. It's called We Who Wrestled with God. So that's a book that I've been looking to read. And and then you know, I'm kind of looking to go deeper into C. S. Lewis's essays and letters sort of get like a collection of those, and then uh deep dive into reading some of his you know, theology and thoughts and things of that nature.
Speaker 8: That's kind of what's on deck for now.
Speaker 10: I'm sure that you know, there maybe more things that pop up later on, but those are kind of the two things I'm focused on.
Speaker 1: So just maybe the last question, Toby, your love for reading, I just lost it. Uh oh, well, what do you intend to do after college? Obviously, maybe play a little basketball if you can, but beyond that, what you know, what be a senator?
Speaker 8: I'm not sure.
Speaker 10: It's uh something I've been trying to contemplate. You know, right now, I'm majoring in finance. I'm trying to work through ler so possibly you know, do something with that. But you know, that's that kind of degree is you know a little bit more flexible, so it kind of opens the doors up for you know, a lot of positions.
Speaker 8: But honestly, that's something I'm still putting thought into and still trying to figure out.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm not sure if I want to stick into the you know, basketball world when I'm done playing, or if I want to branch out and you know, move on from that.
Speaker 8: You know, so that's just somethings to kind of trying to decide.
Speaker 1: No, very cool, very impressive. When you talked about the book stuff for a while back, I was like, who's this, dude.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't hear this very often. And very impressive, very impressive. Thank you Toby so much. We appreciate your time real quick. Uh when where do you have the next winning in six and seven? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: I would say in seven if they do, you know, pull it out, which I hope they do. I think, you know, New York City might burn down just the way that those fans are so just passionate and strong willed for their team. Definitely proud to be a New Yorker for sure.
Speaker 4: Take care of be wealth, be staateful. We'll see you in the fall.
Speaker 8: Sounds good.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Yeah, thank you. Very very cool dude. You can tell you can tell when you interviewed him on the put him he's very very you know, thought provoking him in Townsend as well.
Speaker 1: Uh, a lot of the guys, a lot of the guys are very very smart. And how they responded to answers her questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as in you know, we've seen it a time a lot with the freshman too, and it happens because you're developing as an interviewer and you go through that process where you can see they're sitting and thinking of what they want to say before they'd say it. Very free flowing Kobya Waka Townsend Caleblell was that way, very eloquent in what they were saying. So always a pleasure. Yeah, very very impressive.
Speaker 1: Let's go take a break and come back, maybe take some calls in the final most segment. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 4: Leading it and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 18: Second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how atau slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero.
Speaker 4: Three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 8: Lead marriage and exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: On twenty second Western Wilbond Craving, Tucson's best Burger. The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peace, need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future.
Speaker 20: Pyramids Lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Peyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my on the ball here on Fox Sports Watune Cookie.
Speaker 4: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 1: In with me today is Troy Hutchison from Goyas. He kept stuck up Ray running the board, So no mistakes. Hey, we haven't talked about journalism fantastic race. That was he had no chance and he won a lot better than the Kentucky debris. Oh yea yeah, yeah, yeah, that was a good race. If they they if he and the Sovereignty run against each other in the Bellmon, it's gonna be fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 4: But yes, Georte race.
Speaker 3: No, I know Journalism came back from sixth, though, they came back from sixth in that last segment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was. It was crazy. He had no chance to win anyone. Yeah, and wins the ball mount six three weeks under, three weeks now.
Speaker 3: So since Sovereignty didn't race in Preakness, is that can there like a rubber match?
Speaker 1: It'll be a rubber match, well in between them two? Yeah right, yeah, between them two. But uh uh, I'm not sure he has an advantage or not because he's it'll be five weeks since he ran in the in the derby by that time. It is what it is, that's these are the these are the the the parameters you have to participate in. So yeah, no harm, no fower. I guess there's no excuses. So I don't know if they're gonna run against each other, but it should be a fun race.
Speaker 4: I hope they do. Ye, did you watch it? No, I'm not. I'm not a big racing guy. How do you do? What do you like today's show? You don't like anything today? You're like Mikey baseball, basketball, football, you know that kind of stuff. If I had cable, i'd watch tennis more. I really like this, do you Okay? Yeah, it's interesting. Watch a lot of softball out That was that, right? ESPN espen plus blah blah blah. Uh. There's a few upsets obviously, h A and M Liberty. Who else? Who's the one Nebraska winning that regional?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 4: We did? What's your name? Because she was? She's a stunt?
Speaker 14: Ye?
Speaker 4: Who does she pitched against? Uh? She? I don't think she even went up against the top seed in that region. I think they forget her. Yeah, okay, we got a call. Who's this?
Speaker 21: Thanks Steve?
Speaker 4: This is Don You guys doing Yes, it's fine. Good give us some stuff. Don.
Speaker 16: Well, first off, I want to start out that was a really good interview with Toby with with o'walka, because you know, I've seen I've seen the videos of the postgame interviews, and it's always about the game and everything and this was about the young man, and that's an impressive young man. And now I really thank you for that, because, like we've talked about lately, we don't get that access to these guys, and it's it's really nice to be able to see some of these these people, these young people.
Speaker 4: And uh, see how well rounded this kid is, right, ask people. We don't get to see him as people, right, and yeah, but as.
Speaker 16: A rebounder in an Arizona uniform, he reminds me of Pete Williams.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that when when you said that, Detroit, there's two dudes that remind me of Pete Williams. And I didn't see him back in the day, but I know him very well because he comes and visits all the time.
Speaker 16: And the Ben Davis, Yeah, yeah, Ben Davis is a little bit bigger, so it's a little bit more like he should be able to rebound. But Pete was only only six seven, and uh, it just seemed like he had rubber arms that could stretch out and take the ball away from everybody. And Pete, I seek, I believe he led the back ten in rebounding at that time.
Speaker 8: And and.
Speaker 16: You know, and and the way Toby rebounds, it's like it's like his life depends on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's what rebounding is. That's what rebound it is.
Speaker 16: It's want two, you gotta want, you gotta have a gun us to do it.
Speaker 4: And you could tell that this kid he does right.
Speaker 1: Right if he develops that offensive shot like we talked about, right, he is what he is. He's a rebounder, kind of like the enforcer guy. But if he has that ten footer, that twelve footer or whatever, because he's not going to have the long distance, uh, he could make some money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a very good career ever in eure Up or yeah somewhere.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think I think he can and uh real quick. On softball, Arizona is not the only team that did not win their regional. I know there's a there's a number one seed.
Speaker 4: I wasn't talking.
Speaker 8: I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, you know, I was ready. It's just.
Speaker 16: Disappointing. Yes, But the thing is is Arizona hasn't had a dominant picture in.
Speaker 4: Since Hallowell.
Speaker 16: It seems like, yeah, because even tarn Mowatt used to throw a lot of junk and everything and I think it's funny nowadays all the softball programs are pitching by committee, and they're pitching like this is the number one, this is the number two, this one starts on Friday, this one Saturday, this one Sunday, and then we'll figure it out on Sunday and pitch whatever's left. And I think that that has really hurt Arizona. But to her credit, Caitlin Lowe has not set that batting order wasn't the same all year long because kaya Haltmeyer, who finished I think she finished the regional bat hitting not she was nine for seventeen or something like that. She was the number she was number two or number three early in the season, and she was batting six by the time they got to the regional. So I mean, at least there was some experimentation with that as opposed to go ahead.
Speaker 1: So when you evaluate this, and I know it's only less than twenty four hours removed, how would you evaluate the season as a whole.
Speaker 16: It's to me, it's kind of like the basketball season, like it was a success with the question mark, because you know, you expect at Arizona, you expect a lot out of the softball team, The thing is is they haven't won a national championship in eighteen years, so the standards are really higher than the level that they've been playing. And the softball team has gone through a lot of the similar things that the baseball team has gone through, except for they were going through them in the middle of the season. Where the baseball team is it's been right now at the end. I mean the last two games against Houston, they played, pitched well and they hit They hit a ton and that's not what was going on.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So to both of you, guys, to both you and Troy, so we have you on the phone. So Arizona's basketball program hasn't won a title since twenty seven years, twenty five years, right. They haven't been to the Final four in twenty four years. Okay, so we know that, right, and they've gone to the Sweet sixteen a few times, Elite eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, we know the history. Uh do you is it?
Speaker 1: Do you give them more of a leeway than the softball program who hasn't won and would you say seventeen eighteen years? They have more of them obviously, but you know, is there the same time, I think the basketball team gets a lot more leeway.
Speaker 4: I truly, I truly do because.
Speaker 16: There's been so much there has been so much smack on the on the on the socials about going away from Caitlin Lowe, and I don't think that. I think that, you know, certainly pitching needs to improve, in my opinion, everything else, I mean, it is what it is. It would be nice to have a Mash or somebody that's going to hit thirty home runs, but.
Speaker 4: We got to get pitching. We got to get better pitching. I'll see that.
Speaker 22: That's my opinion. It all starts in the circle. I do agree that it all starts on the mountain. Yeah no, yeah, for sure, it starts in the circle. And that's the only way you win in softball is if you have elite pitching. I do think, I do agree that the basketball program gets a little bit more of a leeway. But I'll say this, I think the softball program is better historically. Yeah, no question, And there's no doubt about that, no question.
Speaker 4: Now, thisball basketball program hasn't been to a Final four since when did you say, what two thousand and one? Softball getting to the Women's College World Series, in my opinion, is kind of like getting to the final four. I know there's more teams and you got to get through more, but that that is your goal. That is, let's get there and see what happens. Andre made it his last few years. She made it her first year, and I'll argue even that in that first year it wasn't for sure that they're going to make the tournament, and they kind of made this magical run to the to the Women's College World Series. The pitching has gone downhill from Kendrea's last two years till now. I know Devin had a nice year, but the previous two years it's been very poor. The talent in the infield. The talent outfield's very good, but the talent in the infield, there's no All American All Conference player in terms of PAC ten PAC twelve in comparison Big twelve. Sure, Stuart's very talented, but it's not a Desia, it's not a Charlie's Pelacios. It's not a who is Kinsey's catcher? I forget her name right now at the top of my head. Home run hitter anyway, but huh, it was number fifty two, wasn't it.
Speaker 16: No, no, no, no, it was It was a Blondie from CEO's she works at the u A.
Speaker 4: Now, no, she's in Phoenix. She's no, no, no, she was the home run hitter. She was, She's like third or fourth all time in home runs. Uh Chapman, Okay, anyway, anyway, but my point, my point, My point is the point being is that the talent, the talent level at Arizona isn't what it used to be, and the pitching they haven't figured out for a very long time. And I think Kenzie was the last real elite pitcher they had. And unfortunately the rule change happened in the Women's College World Series where they started calling it more like we had around Aaron Ju was talking about it, but uh, even compared to Taylor McQuillan and listen to them, it's not even at that level. And that was problematic back then. People are saying, oh, it's not where it should be. Well, it's not even at that point.
Speaker 16: Now I agree with that, And you give Kenzie Fowler too much credit.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't if they don't call it, if they don't call lifting, they probably win that World Series. And if Branniella Straps doesn't drop the ball in left field. Who knows how that series turns out.
Speaker 16: I think I think that adjustments could have been made with Kenzie, that it should have been easier. But now you know that's that's neither here nor there right now.
Speaker 4: But I agree with you.
Speaker 16: I think that you know there is talent in the infield. Taylor Bial I think wasn't didn't last year she finished, Uh, she finished last year without an error. She had she had a golden glove. I mean, she's not a big hitter as like what we're used to having, you know, slugging shortstops. But yeah, I agree, I think we have a serviceable team now. But also the talent is more spread out all over the country. And that all started probably around the last time Arizona won the national championship, because now all of a sudden, all of a sudden, you see all the star players are from the West that are playing out in the South.
Speaker 1: Thanks Don for the call. We got another call coming in. Appreciate your call. Appreciate it to you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I have a good one, guys. Yeah, he just hung out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Richard, you know, Richard, if you want to give us a quick costs all your email to me Richard, if you'd like to give us a call please? Do I know you get some Oklahoma thoughts on there?
Speaker 4: So is Stacy Chambers? Yes, Stacy Chambers?
Speaker 8: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Okay, how'd you find that? Someone? Sit you note? No Google man? Okay? Eighty nine home runs all night and they've had some great you skegs a year or two ago.
Speaker 8: Skut's is ok.
Speaker 4: But that's a Mike Andrea recruit, so was nets Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well well maybe you might be no, maybe you're possibly right about her being but you know what, I don't know her personality, so I don't know how she tough she is on the girls or the women.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 8: We got it.
Speaker 4: We got a call. Oh, you're on the air, Andine on the ball? Who's this?
Speaker 21: Steve's Richard. I enjoying the conversation and I always enjoyed down down by the way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 21: It all comes down to recruiting. Yeah, and this coach at Oklahoma what's her name is Sherry Cole or something, you know, and her Okahoma softball team, she's recruited girls from California.
Speaker 4: For the last fifteen years.
Speaker 21: So a lot of the girls that played at Arizona ended up at Oklahoma. And that's just no question about it. Here all he's she's one in California pitchers and hitters.
Speaker 1: And you're saying, well, you're saying that the girls that could have possibly come here went to Oklahoma.
Speaker 21: Yeah, so for sure, of course they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Well, and so anyway, I mean it's it's recruiting. So you got to get out there and you got to close.
Speaker 4: The deal.
Speaker 21: Got closed.
Speaker 4: You got to close, for sure. And Mike was that closer that way. Yeah, sure, of course Mike was that closer. I know a lot of this stuff. You said recruit and then Mike would have the final say. But again, yes, they're coming in and getting California talent. Well, there's telling in Texas, there's telling in Florida, there's telling other places. You ever got another call? Okay, cool, good Ren for thanks a bunch. Let's take another call. Who is this hot topic? Man? Well, you know, Nico, what's the word, Niko?
Speaker 9: Hey man, I just want to congratulate this stuff. Disappointing, but you know they did, all.
Speaker 4: Right, so disappointing.
Speaker 1: Give me the definition of disappointing to you, because I've been fighting with that word with Troy here.
Speaker 9: I don't know that devinits would just be better, but she got racked, is what it is. And I'm also disappointed because they have like eight pictures on staff and they don't seem to know how to use.
Speaker 13: Any of them.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's kind of Oh sorry, NiCoT, did I mean to cut you off there?
Speaker 8: My bad?
Speaker 9: No words.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like quarterbacks if you have like four of them, yeah you have too many. Yeah you have to have eight. You probably don't have. I mean, Devin rose up to the level she did, but you don't have that one. And that's what you're trying to do that.
Speaker 7: So do you go?
Speaker 8: Did you? I think you go?
Speaker 4: You have to get you and your dad right?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Did?
Speaker 1: And Troy you talked about this PAC twelve is not the PAC twelve. The Big Twey is not the PAC twelve right now? So did you think that they regret regrets because of being in the Big twelve?
Speaker 15: No, not really.
Speaker 9: I finished it. I thought they'd either win it or come in second place, and they came in second.
Speaker 4: So did that get them ready for what was ahead?
Speaker 9: I think they're non confident. Schedule probably helped them more than their conference.
Speaker 4: Yea, Troy, I don't know.
Speaker 9: You're bringing them. You brought in this freshman picture from Washington last year and she never saw the field. So what happened to Brooke Mannion? What happened to you know?
Speaker 4: I don't know, none, none of them started to develop. You brought in these what we're highly thought of recruits. Again, college softball recruiting rankings are very difficult to maneuver and go through because they're all jumbled. But I used to didn't develop, Manning, didn't develop, Ryan Maddox didn't develop at least of the pictures that you thought they could be. Summer and Dyke, who I don't think really saw the field that much this year and they went over for so wait wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, So don't you think that they could be useful down the road if they truly stay?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean at this.
Speaker 9: No, I don't think she will be. But I think right maybe maybe Rhino or madd X.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I used I think I used to have the best stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, okay, any thanks Nico, appreciate you listening, Thanks for the call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I used to has the best stuff. Her ball really moves and tails off and but you need consistency, you can't be good.
Speaker 1: Well that's the that's the problem when you have too many, like you're saying they have with five, six, whatever they eight, how are you gonna how are you gonna give them all good time? And if you get garbage time, you're not really facing the good players.
Speaker 4: And then this past offseason they got a picture from Iowa State and the name is escaping me right now, but she had an e RA A over four at Iowa State and they're how good is They're doing the cactus dancing live where that they resigned her, and you know, she might be a nice person. You're celebrating that like that, that's the level you're recruiting at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess maybe she Well here's another thing. I think she's like the rest of the coach. This is the last year of a contract, kind of like the idea situation. Yet either you get on, you get them moved more more years, or or you're you're gonna be lamed up.
Speaker 4: Yess I swaying. Yeah, it's funny enough. She's from Texas. I always stay transfer though, I mean, you know, and Stoddard's from somewhere, but again, transfer current conduction.
Speaker 1: So I think I asked you this story. You've in your lifetime, you've seen one UA basketball championship.
Speaker 4: Right, well, I was too, So technically no, okay, if you.
Speaker 1: Want to go technical, Are they gonna win one in your lifetime in the next twenty five years?
Speaker 4: Basketball? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay? Is softball with this current staff now and with Tommy? Yes, yeah, Okay, I have more I'm going to stay there, but I have more faith than Tommy to win the national title than I do with Caitlin Low with the softball program. Okay, Baseball, no, because the same reason I Recruiting has been a major problem over the last couple of years and pitching. But pitching has always kind of been an issue there. But and you kind of need that special chemistry as a team in any sport, but it seems that way for college baseball. But I just I think the recruiting could be better than what it is. Okay, they usually have rough endings the year two. You're right, it's so difficult, you know, it's so different.
Speaker 1: You have to get lucky, healthy, YadA, YadA, and all that, especially in basketball and softball. You know, the thing is Caitlin's not Mike Candrea. No, Sean was not loot and neither is Tommy. You gotta find some magic somehow. And other teams are good too. They are, and that's part of the problem. Other teams are good too, especially in softball. Now Arizona is what it was. It's been overtaken by the SEC schools.
Speaker 4: Sure, but you can still be competing for national championship, not having to win it any every year, but at least trying to compete to win it.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with it. Okay, we got to go. Thanks mister will Ray, Thank you very much. Thank you Trev for coming in great guest. Thank you today.
Speaker 4: It was a good day