Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Jim Cummings here. Welcome to my podcast, tuned In with Jim Cummings. We have a great guest for you today, but before we get to that, make sure you like and subscribe. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to FANEXPOHQ dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. And with all that said and done, sit back and enjoy today's episode and as always, thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize draw and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me Tiggert. I am Duc Wayne Duck. It's me Bunkers keep bobcat.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all?
Speaker 1: Did it great?
Speaker 3: Your favorite firefly you desire?
Speaker 1: Hold no old knock guy. My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I'm producer Chris, joined as always by Lenend himself. Mister Jim Cummings. How are you doing today, sir?
Speaker 1: Yet another day in paradise?
Speaker 2: Sure is?
Speaker 1: Oh Mary gosh. We have an angel of a guest. See what I did there?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have a very special guest to you for you today. But before I get to that, let me just make some announcements.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: As of course, you know we're doing the podcast live with Fan Expo this year.
Speaker 1: Yes we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been good so far. Has very live actually yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Everyone that's been there has been live. We were live.
Speaker 2: This is working on and we got some upcoming dates for you guys, if you guys want to come see the show live with Fan Expo. The next one we're going to is Anaheim. I'm not sure if we're going to Anaheim.
Speaker 1: Rings a Bell. I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: Anaheim. There's Disney, so potentially Anaheim. There's still some negotiations going on. But if you see this in time, then Anaheim it is stayed. Next one following that is Chicago August fourteenth to the sixteenth, Toronto after that August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, and Dallas September eleventh to thirteenth. Finally San Francisco November twenty seventh to the twenty ninth. And I like the atmosphere of the Live Fan Expo podcast. It's like it's kind of more like a panel. It's a little more like a panel, and we do that on purpose, you know, to be appealing to the live audience. You know, we can't edit any Yeah, well, the energy is there, the energy is there, the feedback.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We've had some hack shows, I mean, I know, holy yow. I mean with Erica, Durance and Calgary that was like a couple thousand people in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, come on down yeah Gray Room. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you're in the area for any of those dates, be sure to come check it out. And with all that said and done, our special guest today here is Angelie Binmani thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, yes, yes, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, very cool, very cool. You You have been busy. I always do my homework. Look see on this high tech that I have.
Speaker 3: Creative people I know right anywhere they can.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's what I meant to say exactly. I was just being creative and writing anywhere that I could. But h yeah, I mean you are are kind of busy. You have been busy for a while.
Speaker 3: I don't sit still very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not great at it. I tend to panic when I'm trying to sit still. I was thinking about Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. I actually wrote this down, and then I was like, whoa I wrote?
Speaker 1: I wrote.
Speaker 3: The panic that I feel when there's too much to do is nothing compared to the panic I feel when I'm not doing anything and think I'm supposed to be doing something. Wow, yeah, where I'm like, I know, I know, I know there's something I'm not getting done that I was supposed to do and I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got that gap in your head and you're going, oh God, what did I forget? I just forgot to remember it, that's all. Yeah, I've got that one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I look, we're very lucky because we live in a world where there are so many different ways to tell stories and there's so many different media that we can work in and uh, and so I just like to do it as often as I can with cool people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, but you're here anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm appreciate it, right that a deprecating humor won't fly with me. Yeah, that's the one making the self deprecating.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, that's it works right, Otherwise it's an insult, like if you throw it, it's it's not as much fun for me. Not that I'm insecure. Oh but thanks for being here. This is so great, This is so cool. You've been very busy. I've been doing homework on you. And yeah, you are in probably one of the biggest video games ever. I mean, come on, I mean, I mean, what do we have here? The world famous overall Overwatch. That's got to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's it continues to be mind blowing to me how not just well received but embraced and run with that game has been And I do I do think there are a lot of great reasons for that, But you know, Blizzard tends to do big awesome things and big awesome games, So obviously, when when when I first recorded with them, I knew that this was going to be a big game. But what I don't think any of us prepared for how much the community grabbed onto it and then ran with it and turned it into something even bigger and more beautiful than I think that that anyone had imagined it would be, both for those of us creating it and for the community itself.
Speaker 1: Can you tell that when you when you first get a script, when when you first get when you first look at it, when you first look at the layout, the characters that this that can you go, oh, this is gonna be a good one.
Speaker 3: Honestly, this one that was not? So no short answer, no, okay, The short answer is no. I don't trust my opinion of most things, of most things that involve my performance. So I think I have finally given over, after being in this business for three decades, I have finally given over to the fact that what it feels like on the inside is not what it sounds like or looks like on the outside. And then I have to be okay with that that you know, you learn the lesson, hopefully early, but you learn the lesson If you had a bad performance and someone comes up to you and compliments you, you don't tell them, oh God, that was the worst show ever. You allow them to have that experience, right, you know that much. But over time I have also learned whatever my perception of it is, chances are it is completely different than what it was for people on the outside.
Speaker 1: That's right, because it takes getting used to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really does. And it takes a level of letting go of control that I'm not. It's not easy for me, but it is very freeing when I can, because it means I'm working with people that I really trust. If I really trust the director, if I really trust the editor, if I really trust the people around me, then I can just do what I do and not be thinking about is it good or is it bad. I trust that they're doing it. I trust that they're handling it and they see the vision better than I do. Yeah, yeah, so ahead. My audition for Overwatch was a perfect example because I was I was my husband's a touring musician, and we were at the end of their tour in Europe and the UK. So we were about to leave for sound check for the final show, and I knew the plan for the evening was just based on like where we were and what travel was going to look like that I was going to have to stay up all night to get back to the hotel at seven in the morning, grab my bags and then hop on a plane.
Speaker 1: Shack all night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like that was just going to be it. That was just going to be how it was. So that the audition came in right as we were leaving for sound check, and I realized exactly, I realized what the sound with the time difference, The only way I'd be able to get this in by the deadline, given the fact I was going somewhere very loud, the only way I'd be able to do it would be to record it. When I came back to the hotel room seven o'clock in the morning, bleary eyed with no sleep. So I came back, turned on my phone, asked my now husband, Hey, just be quiet for ast couple of seconds. I'm going to do this. Two takes sent it off, and then it was like cool, I did my job. I'm There's no way I'm going to book this, but I'm just going to get out of there, like I don't. I have no idea how that sounded, and not how that sounded. I obviously made sure that it was you know, it's assisted, but and that ended up being the audition that got me the job. And I look back on that and it's such a reminder not to discount yourself before someone else does, because I think a lot of us performers and artists do what we decide before someone says no, why it's going to be a no, rather than saying like, no, look, if I've got the audition and I whatever, I'm going to make it happen. I'm not going to give them a reason that I don't get the job. They can decide, YEA, let them come on their own. Yeah, exactly. I'm sure there will be plenty of people in the world who are going to say no to me for a million different things. I'm not going to be the first person to do it right, which I do think is part of why, going back to what you said, part of why I've stayed busy is because I just like saying yes to opportunities to try new things. Even if there are things I'm terrified of almost especially if they're things that I'm terrified of. I kind of love that. I kind of love trying things for the first time in front of an audience.
Speaker 1: Is that is that? Would you say that when it comes to film animation? You know, singing? I mean, you know, what is your what is what drew you first into the into the circus?
Speaker 3: You're sure? I was definitely so. So theater was my first language, which I feel like is the case for a lot of people because in school, in grade school, even you got the school play, right, very few people have the school film or the school or the school animated series. Right, very few people have that. We all have. We all have the school play, we all have the you know, the Puppets show.
Speaker 1: A very rich school.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If you've got that, man, more power to you, like go get it.
Speaker 2: We had school news that counts the school news. It was like filmed. It was like they broadcast like school news every day.
Speaker 3: We just have the announcements over the last Yeah that's right over the PA system. But yeah, so theater was my first love, and I I you know, I did the school plays and then I did community theater, and I didn't really understand, which this is going to sound so dumb in hindsight, but I didn't really understand that this was a thing that people actually did for a living, that this was a viable job path. And I shouldn't say it was dumb. It was just I hadn't I hadn't put two and two together. They're like, oh, those people who were doing it on Broadway, and oh those people who were doing this at whatever theater I have gone to see a play. They are also doing this as a profession, some of them. So once I really that, I told my parents, who at first were in a little bit of denial, and then they were like, oh, cool, cool, cool. You know what, if you want to do this three rules. One treat it like a real job. Two, get really good at it, and three pay your own bills. We're behind you. One. Just do those three things.
Speaker 1: That's not bad. No, that's pretty good advice.
Speaker 3: Pretty incredible advice. And I think it it's great advice to get as a young person going into an artistic field, because I think a lot of us get kind of caught up in the I'm anto, yeah, I have to feel the things. You're like. You also have to pay the bills, like you have the roof over your head, right, So you learn how to do that, figure out how to do that at the same time as you're as you're as you're pursuing whatever exciting field you want to be, whether that's brain surgery or acting or being a lawyer or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that too. I said, well, you know, I want to do this and I wanted to. Yeah, but how are you going to pay the bills? No, I'll do that well enough that it pays the bill, Okay, but in case you don't, cause he's not going to what what are you going to? You know?
Speaker 3: There was that, Yeah, I definitely like there was a there was a moment a short period of time where my mom was like, you know what, why don't you get a degree in something else? Just in the state, right? And I kind of felt like, Well, if I'm going to do this and I have to be really good at it, and I have to treat it like a real job, I need to go study it like I would if it was the real job you're asking me to get a degree in. I don't want to get really good at the thing that's my backup. I kind of don't even want to have a backup. I just want to be able to pursue this and if I fail at it, then cool, I will pivot. And yeah, so and and I did you know, of course, like I had a day job for the I'm very lucky for a very short period of time in my early theater days. But but it was not something that felt like it was because I couldn't be an actor, right, And that mindset difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a big one, that's right.
Speaker 3: It's not I'm doing this. It's not I'm doing this until I'm an actor. It's I'm doing this while I'm acting. This is this is this is the thing I do during the day, and that is the thing I do. Yeah, so to spun money. Yeah, and sometimes look, sometimes what's fun is keeping the roof over your head. That's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely.
Speaker 3: That's definitely a little more fun than not having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, under a bridge, living under bridge. It's not the same.
Speaker 3: It's just not this just the same. I do it for research for right, right, not necessarily by choice.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a lot what you say all the time, Jim, is like you take a blue collar attitude towards a no caller job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great way to put it. Yeah, that's a great way to put it. And I do think some of the most I don't know what the term is for it now, like journeyman actors, but that obviously applies to all genders. But like the people who have been doing it consistently for years and years and years and years, and you may not recog their face, I mean, you may not know their name, but you definitely recognize their face or know their voice. Those are people who have been treating it not just as an art, but as a craft, as a as a vocation, and that practicality I think is really important. Having your feet on the ground but your head in the clouds, like both of those at the same time, is really great.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good expression.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Oh, thanks kind of.
Speaker 1: I think I just wrote it. That's awesome. Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's so easy, especially these days, to like hyper focus on like the stars, you know, like the of anything. You know. I had a I played football in college and I had a friend who was in the NFL, played for the Cleveland Browns, and he didn't look like an NFL player, you know, he was like probably like fifth on the depth chart at receiver. It was like, you know, six foot one, like one hundred and ninety pounds. And I remember going to a seven to eleven with him one time and the cashier set his shirt and it, you know, says Cleveland Browns Football. And then she's like, oh, that's that's cool. Who do you play football for? And he was like, Cleveland Browns And then she's like, I didn't know there was a high school named after the Cleveland Browns. And he was just like, you know, I'm in the NFL, you know. And it's because you know, there's a sixty five man roster, but how many players do we really know? We know that Tom Brady's we know that. You know. Yeah, same thing with a movie or a TV show. You know, we know that the star of the show, there's like hundreds of actors all around them. You know, there's background, there's guest stars, there's you know, reoccurring, there's all these different actors, and the same thing even into voiceover. You know, there's the main voices and then there's you know, you see all the credits. I mean, doing research on so many people, there's I was just going to say, you know it doesn't even have a character name. But it's like I was in that movie, you know, I was in that show.
Speaker 3: And especially I think now with social media and that sort of that whole economy, the creator economy and all and what's you know what goes along with that, I think it's even more of a trap now to fall into. It's more important for me to be known than for me to have that job notoriety have that. You know, you have to do both if you're going to pursue being known, if that's going to be part of what you do, pr and all of that. And look, I'm absolutely into that. I do it all the time. I love it. I love it. I love being out there in the world. But you also need to be focused on doing a better job and doing a better job and your craft and getting the job done. And I think it can be very easy for people to look at the stars or the names and think that's success rather than additional voice.
Speaker 2: And yeah, in my experience too, it comes from the top down. I mean, I've been you know, acting for eleven years now out of college, and right when I graduated college was kind of like the beginning of the era of casting by social media following.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, And.
Speaker 2: I just did. I just literally did a movie a couple months ago where half of the cast was all because of their Instagram or social media following. Interesting, you know, as an indie movie.
Speaker 1: So it craze.
Speaker 2: They want to bring eyes in and I mean even, I mean look at this year even you know, there's been what three major movies done by YouTubers, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Iron Although I do think that that is more a factor of you know, the studio system and everything kind of being reimagined, and also people just getting sick and tired of having to go through a bunch of gatekeepers to get something done. If you have a successful YouTube channel and you are surrounded by talented people and you know how to produce a show, why not create an independent show or independent movie. You know, it used to be just okay, we'll kickstart it. Well, okay, now maybe people can do that through their following. It's just that if that movie is not good, or if those actors are not good, and of course that's not going to be a good movie. It's just common sense. But if they're if they have built their following based on their talent and based on how fun it is to watch them and listen to them. Then I'm all for it. I'm all about it. It's I think that the negative thing happens when it's just about people's followers and not about why they're going to followed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, and that's so many likes, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe you had a really cute dog video. You know what I mean, Like, anything is possible. That's why even my social media, my social VIDIA is relatively big. But I take it with such a grain of salt. Also because all of those people are following for different reasons. Some people know me from overwatch or video games. Some people might know me from TV, some people might know me from my charity work. Some people they're all there for different reasons. So no one thing is going to please all of those people, and they're not all there for that. So that number is exclusive is mutually like, it's not necessarily a selling point. I should be saying that, like no hireman. On the other hand, on the other hand, please buy. But I don't. I don't ever want people to misconstrue that those numbers equal people who are taking in what we are creating. Because I think That's also a big trap for actors, you know, is to think, oh, well I don't have a big following, so therefore I'm not going to get this job, and.
Speaker 1: You get a false image of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or of the other people who you feel like you're competing against.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well the hell with them. That's just you know, there's no competition.
Speaker 3: I'm in the game, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's don't worry. There's plenty of room to be number two. Oh my gosh. Yeah, what do.
Speaker 2: You think about this evolution, Jim, of this transition. I mean, you've been in the industry for so long that it was you know, it was probably a circle of like one hundred people when you started in voice acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there wasn't There were not There were not many. I remember being at Burbank at the voice Caster, the good old Voicecaster, and this is a long time ago, it's got to be maybe twenty years ago, and people were talking about their social media following, their following, Well how many followers? You know, I was at an audition the other day and they think, oh, by the way, are you on blah blah blah, Yes, I am. How many followers? Well, you know, and it's like, yeah, I can't imagine that being a factor, but it is. Yeah, And I think it's kind of stinks.
Speaker 3: I think it again. I think it's unfortunate because I think it can it can divert people's attention from from their own level of talent, you know, from their own I think it's so easy for people to get discouraged because of it, or to think I have to do that in order to be a successful actor. Is it helpful? Sure? So are a million other things that are helpful and look great. Example in Mandalaani, who was our lead on MS Marvel. She's wonderful, exceedingly talented, wonderful, rounded, brilliant person does not have social media because she's like, I don't feel like that's going to be good for me. I'm not really interested in that. That's not my jam.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: She's doing just fine. She's doing just fine.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I know that's an extreme example, but I think I don't know. And again, I am very active on social media. I just hate the idea that people would think that they have to have a certain set of criteria there in order to be successful. Whatever here is, whether we're doing voiceover, whether we're doing TV, film, whatever. For me, It's also just been another another way I'm saying cool, I'm not going to give anyone else a reason not to hire me. So I'm going to have whatever I need to have or all the things, and then you decide.
Speaker 2: I think the key is to oh sorry, no, no, no, if you're going to say something.
Speaker 1: No I was. I was just thinking about Kats who see she played she played dark Wing Duck's girlfriend on a dark Wing Duck. And she doesn't have any social media, doesn't post, doesn't do this, doesn't have a website, doesn't have a I don't know, she might not even email. Who knows. But she just said that's not why I'm here. Yeah, and boom. But she's doing great. You know, she's morgana macab on dark Wing Duck in case you're wondering. But but yeah, I mean she's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I don't and I don't want to be again, I don't. I'm not saying that one is good and one is bad. I just think it has to be a very personal decision, just like any other choices you make in this industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it and it can be really time consuming.
Speaker 3: It is. It is very time consuming, and I have certainly gone through phases of like, this is not joyful anymore. Why am I doing this? So I slow down and just don't or or do it with friends because that's fun. But I so much of what has worked about my trajectory through the different media that I've worked with is following the fun.
Speaker 1: It's following the fun.
Speaker 3: If it's not fun anymore, I'm kind of like, Okay, there is a great disturbance in the forest. What am I doing? Is there something in me that's making this not fun? Is it my expectations, is it me being tired? Is it all of these things? Or is it just not fun because I've burnt myself out on this one thing and I need to reassess.
Speaker 1: Well, I could not agree more. I you know, I'm thank god I found something, but I'm just too immature to follow. Okay, Well you can make a couple of bucks doing that, yeah, but I don't want to, you know, Yeah, I don't want to punch a time card because it feels like that I've done that for real, sure, like at a steal mail and you know, the things like that. But I'm not good at that part. So if I'm not having fun if I'm not getting intellectually or or creatively stimulated. Yeah, it's like, eh, got go.
Speaker 3: Our version of fun might look completely different than someone else is. Like, I am fully aware that to me, screaming and crying through a Greek three hour Greek tragedy that's fun.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily something.
Speaker 3: It's pretty awesome to begin to leave it all out on table and they go back home and you're like, I'm so well adjusted, this is amazing, look at this. But I but so it might look completely different. But knowing what that means to you is I think is also really important. And for me, one of the things that's fun about what we do is never getting bored. Is that I'm I'm gonna look for things that scare me. I'm going to look for things I think there's a little voice in the back of my head saying you can't do that. Oh shit, I'm gonna do that now. I'm gonna go. Boy, I hope we can curse on here. Leave that out. But like, I love going to those places also, well for two reasons.
Speaker 1: Challenging one.
Speaker 3: Because I think the more we just push the envelope a little every day or week or whatever, on what we realize we are capable of. The more we trust ourselves not to die when we do something new, and then it's not necessarily about oh, I'm so brave. It's about, no, I have enough proof that I can try new things and survive them. So I like it for that reason. And I also like it because if I go do something for the first time in front of an audience and I don't, literally all I have to do is not die, then the world then someone else out there might be able to say, well, she's okay, so let me try it. And that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast Do it Now.
Speaker 2: I think that's something very unique to artists though, because a lot of people, you know, they seek comfort and you know, repetition and yeah, com schedule and everything. I mean, even like, did you guys know that they pulled people. I can't name a source, but on average, people are more scared, more afraid of public speaking than death. Yeah than death.
Speaker 3: Oh, because when you die, you're not feeling anything after you're dead. Public speaking of the public speaking, you're like, I'm experiencing the horror in real time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that. I don't know what, No, I know. I'm glad I didn't get that change.
Speaker 2: I think it's like it's like a primal thing too, you know, like we're hardwired. When you know you have all these eyes staring at him. Other people are predators, you know. Yeah, Oh my god, like I'm under a threat, like.
Speaker 1: A judgment implied. Yeah, but applid judgment for sure.
Speaker 3: Here's another thing that helped me so much, and this is relatively recent. I would venture to say, like maybe in the last ten years that when I started to look at acting, at acting as a service industry, rather than looking at it as like ooh, that audience is gonna judge me. Ooh, are they gonna pick me? Are they gonna choo? Are they gonna pick me? Are they gonna hate me? Are they gonna like me? I don't care? Am I gonna help them. Am I gonna take them on a journey? What can I do for them? If I walk into well, we don't get to walk into the room anymore, but if I walk in walked into an audition room when it started being about taking making sure everyone in the room was cool, like saying to them, Okay, cool, I got you. Don't worry about it. We're gonna have a lot of fun. Worst case scenario, you'll be entertained. Best case scenario, you get to go home because you pick me. Like if that's if that's a way to walk, If I can walk into a room like that, or walk onto a stage and and tell people I got you. Don't worry about it. I'm gonna take you on this journey. It's going to be crazy. I'll do the heavy lifting. But at the end of the night, you get to go back to your life. It's completely intact. But you went somewhere with me. I held your hand through that. Then all of a sudden, A, you realize you're not that big a deal. It's not all about you, and B you feel like you've given something rather than been afraid that you're not going to get something. At the end of the night.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I love I love the fact we all we all think about at a curtain call. We think of a curtain call as applause. There's also when we come out and we bow to the audience. We are bowing to them, We're bowing to that energy. We're saying thank you for letting us do this, thank you for coming on this crazy journey where you had to pretend that all this stuff was happening on stage. Thank you for your willing suspension of disbelief so we could create something really fun. So it's a it's a it's a two way street, and then it becomes a again, at least for me, it becomes so much more fun because it feels like I'm being of service rather than taking and before.
Speaker 1: So you're doing this to break into waitressing?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: I tell you, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's a sneaky way to do it. But here's the thing, Like, I have so much respect for servers attendance because I do not have that level of patience. I don't have the patience to say to someone, oh, I'm sorry, I didn't tell you that Spanish was a leafy green vegetable. Let me take that off of your check. I'm likewise likewise, but being able to be of service to people in general and be aware that I have a skill that can serve you. I have a skill that can make your life. I'm not going to say better, but bigger. I can expand your experience.
Speaker 1: Put on your face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then it feels a little more. It feels less self centered, you know, And it feels less because it can be. It can also be so lonely, especially when we're doing voiceover and we're in oh boy, yeah, right, it can be so lonely if you're in the.
Speaker 1: Past few years, especially with COVID and all this, you know, everybody's radioactive and thank goodness, that's starting to break down a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're getting to go back into the studio again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, enough ready, I know, I know. But it wasn't my idea.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, they definitely did not order that. That was not on my I did not order that off the universal menu, and I don't think anyone did. But again, going back to I don't want to you know, beat this over beat, this dead horse over the head. What was I about to say?
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to people I don't want to keep focusing too much on this. Yeah, but again, especially during that time, how useful did you feel when you could entertain people even though everybody was stuck at home? I know I did. I felt so good that people were playing games that I could help bring to them, or or even during that time, I was doing a lot of social media that felt like it was for other people, Like how good did it feel to be able to say, we are all in a terrible situation right now, and it is easy to feel so despondent and loane and just awful. How lucky are we to be in a position to take some of that away, to relieve some of that from people. That's why I ended up writing my book. It was the whole same thing. It was. I just want people to know they're not alone, Even if they are physically solo in a space, they are not alone.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, you've you've dipped your you know your hat or no, that's not right.
Speaker 3: My hat.
Speaker 1: I ruined.
Speaker 3: I ruined all of the metaphors. I apparently beat a dead horse over the mouth. I don't know what I did, What did I do? I don't know what I did?
Speaker 1: But you've worn a lot of hats I have. I mean, that's a beautiful thing. Author, I mean, I mean you do tap dance as well.
Speaker 3: I did it. Oh no, I wasn't great at it, but I did. I was kidding, But apparently it's a little hard to do in five inch heels, so I stopped. I chose my heels. I know. Well, I'm a tiny human, so I like having a little height in the world. Also, my husband is six foot four, so rather than end up with neck problems, I just wear high heels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, good for you. Well congratulations.
Speaker 2: Do you lean into any one venture the most? Is there one that brings you the most joy?
Speaker 3: People ask me this question, and I feel like I feel like I should change the answer. But it's like picking your favorite child. I can't do it, like not that I know, because I don't have children. So maybe you could pick your favorite child. But I think it changes moment to moment depending on what I'm getting from each one. I love each medium for different reasons, and then each one is challenging for different reasons. I do find that I don't stick with any one uniformly for long, fear periods of time unless forced to.
Speaker 2: You mean, medium I mean like writing or performing, producing, I know you're I mean.
Speaker 3: I probably of all of those, I definitely love performing the most, and I don't really want to produce things that I'm not in because part of producing. To me, producing is helping people fulfill a dream, taking it from your head and then and then putting it in the world. It's producing the result of that thing, right, And so as much as I love helping other people achieve their dreams, it is so much work to put into something that might not be your own. If it's not your own, And so I began producing out of necessity because I wanted to be able to play the roles or do the projects that I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Creative control yeah yea, and not even control.
Speaker 3: But just just the freedom to be like, I have more agency to make sure this happens.
Speaker 2: I think it's okay to say control, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: But it is. It is okay, But it's not even because half the time when I'm producing, I don't have control. I'm you know, it's a whole group of people that that's way in the But the freedom to say, you know, when you're an actor, a lot of times you're waiting for the job right, you're waiting to be picked, you're waiting for the audition, all of those things. I don't like waiting. I don't have I have limited time on this earth. I gotta go. So for me, it's like cool, I know, I want to see that thing get made. Here are the skills that I have that can be applied to that. Yes, I am an actor, and I feel like I have a certain amount of talent. I also am good at raising money. I also have a lot of connections where I can author, you know, and I'm an author, so I have I have a difference. I have a particular set of skills like be abacent and so if I'm really huge skills, if I can apply any of those to help further something down the line that also gives me the joy of acting in it, then it just makes sense to me. The acting is definitely the core for me. I love performing on a very selfish level. I love and I mean I don't feel bad that this is selfish, because if you're gonna spend, if you're going to work as hard as we work, you better doing something you love.
Speaker 1: You have to like yourself a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I love I love the tabletop performances, tabletop role playing games that we do now. It's it feels like it's really come come to the forefront in the last maybe ten years, fifteen years. But because you get to spend more of your time actually acting, you know, So I love that. I love getting to improvise through the story. So you're the actor and you're the writer's room while you're playing this game.
Speaker 2: You played D and D, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Played D and D in a bunch of other game systems.
Speaker 2: Of course, she plays as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she just started like a year and a half ago or so, and she's she's she loves it now. She loves it, which is exciting. I feel like I have been so excited to just bring more and more friends into it. My best friend Gorilina Ravasa just started playing recently and she's loving it. And I I feel like it is I feel like it is a form of creativity that everyone should experience at least once. I started playing when I was eight, so I've had it in my.
Speaker 1: World.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's just such a wonderful. It teaches you so many things. It teaches you creative collaboration, it teaches you thinking on your feet. It teaches means. For some people, it teaches you basic arithmetic because we do have to add a lot of numbers together. Not that I always have D and D brain and then all of a sudden I forget how to do math. But there are so many skills that we learned. When I was playing as a little girl, I was, you know, a little eight year old girl in Orange County, California. We didn't have any proof that this was the dominant genetic makeup. We thought that everybody should be blonde haired, blue eyed, look a certain way, and so it would have been very easy. Yeah, it would have been very easy for me to feel not good enough, or othered, or just something that I wasn't supposed to be. But here was this game where we were all sitting at a table, all people of all different backgrounds and different skill sets, playing people of different backgrounds and different skill sets, and it didn't matter which one of them you were one way or the other. It was possible for you to save the world. Well, wow, you could be a halfling, you could be a giant, didn't matter one way or the other. It is possible for you to roll those dice and save the world, and that feeling of getting to be with your friends and work together toward a common goal.
Speaker 1: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: No, it's not bad at all. And I kind of wish that school system was a little more like that back then, because it was very much a you know, achievement oriented rather than learning oriented. Back at least, I feel like that was much a lot of my experience, whereas with D and D you were helping each other. You were actually like, Okay, my skill set as this character is, these are my skills, and these are the things I'm bad at. Someone else at the party is good at these things and bad at these So we go together.
Speaker 1: There you go?
Speaker 3: Which is what yeah, which is what we need to do in real life? Terrible attack. I am a medical Indian. I am not a tech Indian, so I should not be the engineer. I should not be that person. But someone out there is great at that and maybe not so comfortable acting. So we're a great team.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I don't have to know everything as much. Don't try to.
Speaker 1: Now you tell me. I know.
Speaker 3: But we were talking about that. We were taught we had to be straight A students.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, work, It didn't work for me.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was, you know, I was the way I was. I mean, if I liked it, I would get an A. If I didn't like it, I was. And I told I made the mistake of actually telling one of the good sisters I'm shooting for the lowest D possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got on your secret. That was a mistake, but your mistake was not was not like even my I. You know, my husband is one of the greatest human beings I've ever met. And we grew up complete like we had such a different mindset. Screw I was like, straight, a's got to get the A. If you don't get the A, cool, you got this A. You gotta work on the next day. You got to focus, focus, focus, learn, learn learn, study study study. And he was like, I am going to do the bare minimum I need to do to be able to get through this and then go do the things that I want to do. He is so smart, and part of his smarts where I know where I want to put my energy. Okay, I know where I want. I'm going to learn the things I think I want to learn I need to learn. I'm going to have to apply in the world I'm also going to go surfing. I'm also going to go do these things. Meanwhile, I cut class. I was cutting class to study for other classes.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, just.
Speaker 3: I mean I did not live a very racy life. Yeah, oh yeah, one, No, I remember because there were a couple of classes where I was like, this is stupid. I'm gonna be able to read. This is fine. I'm going to go study for the hard one, the one that I that I'm so, I'm going to go home. I'm going to get all my life's side and I'm going to study biology or I'm going to you know whatever it was. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I so with with all that, I mean, did you have a different career path in mind? I back then? I mean, were you going to be a surgeon? Were you going to be a real estate mogul?
Speaker 3: I toyed around for a very short time with going into medicine because my parents are both doctors, right, But it didn't appeal to me on the level that I think it needed to for it to stick, and my parents were not pressuring me to go into it, which was great. I for a while I thought being an architect might be the thing, because it was artistic, but at the same time, it also applied math, and it applied a lot of skills that I was I was good at at the time. And then you know again, as soon as it opened up in my brain that I could do this for a living, that just changed everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, sign me up.
Speaker 3: Sign me up. Because also I can apply anything I learned to what we do, and I get to be all of those professions.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Even have to go to medical school, and yet I played gazillion doctors. I saved a bunch of fake lives and no one actually died on my on my watch, and we saved medal school.
Speaker 1: So like it was always a good sign.
Speaker 3: You know, generally speaking.
Speaker 1: It's good when people don't have to die for.
Speaker 3: Your because you failed it something. Yes, no, I agree, No, so yeah that I think architecture was the closest to something that I was considering doing. But even when I went to college, you know, my my major was theater and then I had a minor in musical theater. So it wasn't like I was diversifying in a way that was particularly notable. Uh there, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of things I could have done. That would have absolutely served my career. A marketing double major would have been brilliant, would have been a very smart thing to do. Or a business double major very smart thing to do because you can apply it to your artistic career. But but yeah, once I, once I was in it, that was all I wanted to do. I did study because I knew that I would probably not enjoy waiting tables. I tried it for a little while. I was not good at it. I was not good at it. It's not my jam. Again, more power of such respects for people who do that. But I knew that, and so I studied and got certified to be a personal trainer, and then I specialized in post rehab medical exercise. So that was the closest I got to being Wow doctor ish because there's this gap between when you finish rehab from an injury and when you are at full speed as an athlete or a dancer, there's this big gap.
Speaker 1: You're in the middle.
Speaker 3: So that's where I would fill in Wow, getting people from that you can walk back to you can do a two and a half hour dance performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not easy either. I mean I can speak from experience. I had hip surgery in college. Like I said, I was a football player and I destroyed my knee trying to play professional football in Canada, and oh man, that was the hardest part. Wasn't even the injury, it was the recovery from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I a similar situation. So I was also a dancer in school. They decided in college that I was a dancer. It was not something I had studied for a long time, but then I went headfirst into it. And then right after I graduated, we did a performance at the Kennedy Center and then just a couple of months later, we were rehearsing a new a new partner in for me, and long story short, my knee bent sideways. That was the end of dancing. But it was also around the time that I had been studying this so I could apply it to myself and I knew all the things that I was going to all the things that I was going to say that were supportive and encouraging to all my clients, were the things I needed to say to myself because I felt like a huge part of my life was over. Yeah, I didn't know where I was going to.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of people I mean look at like, to use a movie example, like Friday Night Lights with Boobie Miles, you know, like that was such a memorable scene because it's so real. You know, yeah, he's crying in the car, what am I going to do with my life?
Speaker 1: And his dad had said he was banking on it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is like so real for so many people, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely absolutely, and it's I'm very grateful that it happened to me so early in my career because you know, in a way, it set me back on the path that I had originally intended to be on as a performer. I had never really intended to be a dancer, and I was doing it kind of because people were saying I was good at it and I should and so I fell into this. It's a very tough gig.
Speaker 1: It's a very tough run. Now.
Speaker 3: I think you ultimately you end up choreographing and ultimately end up, you know, teaching in choreographing. And a lot of people are have tremendous careers well past what they are considered like like prime dancer years. My friend Valerie Peediford is a great example of that. She was in the original Foss and she's like, she's an extraordinary woman who also does TV and film and all everything. So she's been doing it her whole life, so it is a thing that can be done. But for me, what I had wanted to do was act and sing, and the dancing was like incidental to it, but it wasn't the main focus. And the first audition I had after I could actually bend my knee again was for a director named Mary Zimmerman, who I went on to do eighteen shows with eighteen productions, and that kind of set me back on the path of performing and acting.
Speaker 1: What was the show?
Speaker 3: The show was called Mirror of the Invisible World. So Mary Mary does a lot of adaptations of ancient literature, so this one was based on a twelfth century It was an ancient Persian poem about a king who he is when he is the prince, and then he's about to become the king. He opens a door to the castle and he finds the portraits of seven princesses and he has to learn a lesson from each one of them before he's allowed to be king. And so we told all of these stories at the seven as the seven Princesses we played all of the characters, and it was very physical and very poetic and very satisfying. Uh. And because it was very physical theater, it scratched that itch of the dance, but in a way that made more sense to me as a as an actor, and in a way that didn't make me feel like I was struggling to catch up.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I've been very lucky in my especially in my theater career, to get to do some really exceptionally cool stuff. The first Broadway show I did was with Mary. It was a play called Metamorphoses, which was based on Ovid's Metamorphoses.
Speaker 2: Oh my God, my theater profess. That was his favorite plays.
Speaker 3: That I'm here. I'm the cover girl on that book, on that play. But it was set in a pool of water, So the entire higher show was in and around water, and so that became member be here all week. But but it made such a difference in terms of what we were capable of doing and the emotion we were capable of evoking in people. There was a scene spoiler alert if you haven't read the play and you plan on going to see the production of it. There was a scene where one of my characters, because we were playing multiple characters, gets found out by someone close to her and they tried to drown her and that's exactly what happened on them. We could literally do it. We could literally do the Okay, this is a tiny woman being attacked and being and so we were able to create that fear and that visceral reaction in the audience because we had the water.
Speaker 1: Okay acting.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I call it method, but it was definitely It just made it. You know. There were also just simple things like if you moved, if you moved your arm like this, it wasn't just your arm that was moving, it was the water dripping off. And if you flung your arm, water would go across the stage. So there was this real ability to there was just a whole other element. There was an eleventh cast member and it was the water m So so yeah, getting to do that and getting to do you know, all the other shows that I did with Mary and.
Speaker 2: Where was this all over the world?
Speaker 3: That one was that one. We started in Chicago, then we went we went Chicago, Berkeley, Seattle, Los Angeles at the Taper and then we went off Broadway and then to Broadway.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, that's amazing. Yeah, that's a nice path.
Speaker 3: It was a great path, but it was also here's again circling all the way back. It was an example of I'm gonna say yes, and then I'm going to keep saying yes. When we started that show, we were making like two hundred and ten dollars a week and we hadn't figured out how to really heat the pool and it was in Chicago, so you know, you can figure out how hard that was. But that was the show that hit me on the inside and the cast and everything felt so right, so you stick. So I stuck with it, and I stuck with it, and then that became the one that went to Broadway. You know, so very much was following my heart and following the fun. Yeah, and I yeah, there's so many, so many cool things that I've really gotten to do that came out of a not saying no to myself and then be waiting to see what's gonna is this gonna fill me up? I've had to take plenty of jobs that didn't fill me up. We all do, you know, but but it's it's fun to again having that roof over your head again and not be underestimated the value of that. But yeah, I mean I think of I did an opera, which was not something that I was. I was a music theater performer, but I hadn't been opera trained per se really, and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, are you a soprano rano? Call?
Speaker 3: It depends on like if it's early in the morning and I'm in Vegas for a week and it's early in the morning, I'm abased, gotcha? But yeah, So because I went to the audition instead of being like, there's nowhere why would I do this audition? I'm not an opera singer. But it looked like a cool project and it was with a theater company that I loved and a director that I loved. So I'm like, I'm gonna at least do the audition. And it worked out, and so I got to work with Tony Kushner and Maurice Sendak, the late children's author who designed all of the sets, in the costumes everything was based on. It was very cool. Wow, all because I didn't say no to myself.
Speaker 1: Wow. Right, there's power in that.
Speaker 3: I think there really is.
Speaker 2: You're clearly very passionate about stage acting. I'm curious how you feel when you're on a television or film.
Speaker 3: Set, a whole different kind of excitement, a whole different kind of excitement, I feel like. So I tried to explain this to new actors who aren't familiar with the different the difference that if you are theater trained, if you are used to the theater, being on television or on film feels on a set feels like a tech rehearsal. It is a full day tech rehearsal because a lot of your time is spent waiting for tech, and then you have this limited amount of time to get the scene right, and you might have to do this portion of the scene, you might have to do the whole scene. You might have to do it ten times in order for the boom to not be in the shot, all of that, but you have to do it at your top ability because that might be the shot that might be the thing. And so tech rehearsal for me in theater was always one of my favorite things because it was when you first got to be on stage with all of the elements and everybody was working together and we were all there figuring out these problems. And I feel like that on a TV set when everyone's there kind of working together for a common goal, and sometimes it's the simplest shot and sometimes it's the most complicated shot, but when you get it, it feels so good. And when you're on a set where, like you said, from the top down, people are exhibiting the kind of I don't want to say leadership, what's the word. I'm looking for, enthusiasm, care, the care that they take of each other. Marishka Hargatee is like, hands down, one of the most incredible number one is on the call sheet in the history of mankind. She has been the lead on Law and Order SVU for the twenty something years that it's been on TV. It was my first TV job, and then I went back twenty years later and did a show, did an episode, and she is the same, incredibly caring, takes care of the other actors. She knows she has a certain amount of power on that set, so she uses it for the common good, like that feeling. When you have that, when you have that energy there, or when you are lucky enough to get to be the number one on the call sheet and you can provide that for other people, then it really Yeah, it's just it's magic. When you can do that, and it's magic when you can be there for another actor who has to go somewhere hard, When you get to be there for their coverage and you get to feed them what they need and you see it, then you get to appreciate their virtuosity in those tiny moments. I love that will.
Speaker 2: Need to be there for their coverage. I've worked with actors who don't even yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Know, and I'm you know, I'm not a fan of that. I'm not a fan of that. I suppose I would understand if it was a particularly grueling schedule or they were tight on time and they needed you to run back to your trailer to change or whatever. But I have not been a fan of the times I've been on set where people are like, cool, I'm off camera, I'm out of here. Yeah, And it happens. It does happen, unfortunately, very often. But that's just not the kind of person I am.
Speaker 2: Is there an equivalent and voiceover that that happens? Does anybody record their lines and like, I got to go do something else?
Speaker 3: You guys, we're already recording solo most of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, well, I'm referring to like when you guys, you know, back in the nineties, eighties.
Speaker 3: We've been in the room together for animation in the last couple of decades too.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm referring more to like, you know, like I don't know, Dark Ducker, Like, yeah, I don't know. I'm thinking like in my head, like the greeny footage of when you guys are all standing in a circle. And I'm not trying to make you feel no, no, I mean, I'm just saying it's definitely changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, Well I prefer having other people there acting is reacting, Yeah, at least half of it's reacting.
Speaker 3: It's so much more fun when.
Speaker 1: Other people are oh god, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think the recently, gosh, recently, I think the only place I've gotten to do that where we were all in the same room were a couple of episodes of The Loudhouse Nickelodeon, and all the kids were there, and you're like, oh, this is great, oh awesome. Ye we're all here together, we're doing a thing together. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: But it feels like a tree good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, it feels more like it feels more like the It doesn't feel like the norm anymore, for sure. But I don't know if that's the case necessarily with all even I even am recording right now, I'm recording a movie for a large studio, and I think I'm like second lead from what I can tell.
Speaker 1: And do you do you sit there and count the lines? Yes, you do.
Speaker 3: No, it's about like the script and I'm like, oh, I see where this character is in the story. But but even that I'm recording by myself.
Speaker 2: How did you record for Overwatch? So low?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean solo in the sense of the actor you had, you know, we had the voice director there, writers and all of that, but it was yeah, it was solow. I do remember there being some of the animated the animated shorts that they did. They had some actors do that together. I distinctly remember them showing some behind the scenes footage of Darren de Paul and the actor opposite him and his animated short for reyn Hart. I remember seeing them kind of playing off each other.
Speaker 2: So when was the first that I just had this experience myself. I was telling you Befre before we started recording that I just did this anime that premiered a couple of months ago, and it was weird for me because obviously we're recorded alone. And then at the premiere, you know, we did like a question and answer at the end, and it was the first time I ever met you know, the other actors.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Been And it was literally like walking up on stage and like hi, ye.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I killed you in the second act.
Speaker 3: Literally literally for me in my voice over, because I started voice over relatively late. Like Overwatch was my second game.
Speaker 2: It's not about second gig.
Speaker 3: Not about second gig. I mean, it came after decades of theaters. You know, we're working in the theater and working in television. So it wasn't like overnight success. But but uh, we were very lucky because Blizzard put together a sort of cast party celebration after blizz Con that first year, so a lot of us got to meet in a way that most voice actors don't get to meet their cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: And now I feel like it's becoming more and more of a thing where we we do celebrate. We do get to have a premiere, and we do get to have a cast party, or we do get we get to go to conventions together, and we need to hang out with each other and become friends that way.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say, I think that's one the cool thing about conventions. I mean, it's really cool for me to see, you know, you with your peers and people that you've known for years and decades and done shows with and everything like that. But not only that, and I've mentioned this on the podcast before, but I really like the atmosphere of a podcast because we're in a studio, you know, and we're sitting down together and talking together. Might not be performing, well, we're going to perform in a little bit.
Speaker 3: I mean, it feels a little bit like cheating. I was telling my friend Leanna Maria Riva the other day because she has a podcast, and I went on and I was like, it feels a little bit like we're cheating because really we're just making an excuse for us to hang out and talk. But it's work. I love it. I'm like, that's what I want my whole career to be at this point now. I just want to make cool things with people I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well it's like you said earlier, you know, like what people consider fun, Like I consider this really fun, you know, me meeting people industry professionals, you know, like hanging out with your friends, meeting different people that I look up to.
Speaker 3: It's fun and conventions. I know they're not for everyone, but they're one of my favorite things on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: I love them for so many reasons.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's always interesting for me because I've been doing this, what I've been doing for so long. You know, I'll have three generations. Sure, you know. I have a guy my age, then his forty year old son, then that guy's forty four year old little girl, you know, and they all know Dark Wing or Pooh or Tigers, you know, And so I just love it, you know. I like to see those little faces light up, and also.
Speaker 3: The older faces because you're such a part of their life. Oh you know, You've gotten to be a part of their a part of their upbringing, a part of them raising their own kids, something that they get to share in the family. It's been the same for video games for me, getting to see families that share their love of the story. Yeah, they don't play together, they have the Lord that they can get together, the Lord that they can connect over or or the shorts or the whatever. And yeah, especially again with Overwatcher, with Apex Legends or with some other games where there is a certain amount of representation that people haven't necessarily seen. In Overwatch, my character is not only South Asian, but she's on the spectrum. So there have been a lot of occasions where I have met families who have said this brought us together in a way that they couldn't necessarily understand, because now we could all center around this experience or center around them.
Speaker 1: So many friends on the spectrum over the years, Right, It's just a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: And again, conventions such a perfect place for that, for neurodiverse people of all different flavors, all different neurospicy folks. Yes, and getting to I say this all the time, and it sounds so pithy, but I really do believe it. I think conventions are a place to go to celebrate the things you love and then be celebrated for loving the things you love.
Speaker 1: Oh, there you go.
Speaker 3: Like how they take care of each other, How cos players get so excited, or someone sees a cosplay from their favorite anime and they go running across the room to ask this person about that, or they're the meetups and the fan art and all of this wonderful stuff that brings people together in a way that we don't really have in many other places in the world.
Speaker 1: And so often you'll you'll see people that you know that they're just you can tell, you know. Again with the different folks that are on the spectrum, you know, the parents will be there and the kid just opens up and just just pours it all, all the love out and they'll say, gosh, she's really really got a lot to say, and because he usually doesn't in this and that, and it just makes my day. It just makes me.
Speaker 3: So happy and just and again on a on a on a selfish or not maybe not selfish level, that's not the right way to put it, but it is definitely fuel. It is definitely fuel to say cool, on those days when I don't want to get out of bed, or I don't want to do the thing or whatever it is, someone out there needs me to get up and do the thing, because someone out there is going to have that experience that that kid or that adult or that whoever it is, somebody out there needs it and it's going to mean something to them, even if to me, even if to me today it's just a job, to someone else, it's way bigger than that. So, yeah, I love conventions. They really fuel It did take me a while. It did take me a while to learn how to do them without losing my voice because I get so excited and so it took me a while. Yeah, it took it took me a while to be like, Okay, listen, you got to be able to do the job that gets you the conventions in order to be able to do the conventions. So let's let's let's save a little energy. Oh yeah, that's yeah. But they but yeah, but that's a different that's a different set of skills.
Speaker 1: It's it's the same as I was just preferring to the voice.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, So I didn't treat it as such until I clocked it, you know, until I clock Oh, you know what, you're speaking eight nine hours a day here. You got to treat this like you're in rehearsal for a Broadway show, because I can do eight shows a week. But being at a convention and not necessarily managing your energy levels because I get really excited. I know, it's a shock, right that I would.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get now, I'm so bored.
Speaker 3: All the time, and so boring it's really sad. I really like to Yeah, I really like to cover my emotions. You can't even say that without laughing. But yeah, I had to start being a little a little smarter about it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But but if I'm going to spend it, I mean, if I'm going to spend that energy on someone, it's going to be someone. She's coming to my table, and even if they're not there to get anything signed or anything like that, I want to hear their story. I want to I want to hear what touches them and what excites them and what lights them up. And that conventions are such a perfect place for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's for sure certain Yeah, yeah, I've said it a hundred times. Where nowadays we're almost always alone when you're recording. Yeah, and so you really don't get much because you know, the producer he's doing the director's or she's doing that, and the recording engineer couldn't care less no slam in there. But it's like you don't get any feedback, you know. But when you get out there and you talk to the people, you know, the one and then people will they'll name episodes, you know, the fourteenth episode of goof Troop where you were, and I'll go, wow, okay, yeah, good old fourteenth.
Speaker 3: Well, they'll quote lines back to me that I don't remember recording.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love that so much. When they're like, what's your favorite line, I'm like, I'm not going to tell you because I don't know if it's in the game yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I might have recorded this and it might not be in the game yet. It's entirely possible.
Speaker 1: I've always said no, no, no, no, what's your favorite and then they'll say, well, blah, oh my god, that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I definitely have some favorites, so I definitely clock.
Speaker 1: So if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast Do It Now.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of voice lines, to play a little game on this podcast.
Speaker 1: A game game.
Speaker 2: It's the voice swap game. Where is how it works is Jim will say one of his character lines, say Winnie the Pooh or darkwing Ducker.
Speaker 3: Who so exciting am I going to say the lines of a adorable bear with no pants on? As an Indian architect?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, have you been reading aheadating.
Speaker 3: A student business?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 3: I'm just jumping ahead, baby, you can't stop.
Speaker 2: Me, all right, so I don't even have to explain it. And then we'll do vice versa.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, I love it.
Speaker 2: And then if you could just say the name of the character's.
Speaker 3: Voice, absolutely, okay, all right, are you ready?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, all right, all right. Since you brought up Pooh, I will have to if only he had a few sayings to Okay, I got one. Would you please pass the honey?
Speaker 3: Would you please pass the honey? That's symmetra from her.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was very symmetrical, very.
Speaker 3: Very elegant, Yes, very elegant and very matter of fact.
Speaker 2: What's her ultimately a little.
Speaker 3: Hoti yeah bottom, which in Hindi means this is the ultimate reality y that is exactly how you say it? Yes, yes, okay, also has she has an English version of her ultimate which is reality bends to my will.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: You got to do that one. You got to do that one.
Speaker 1: Reality bends to my will? That always has a button.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of who characters would actually say that. Who's the most evil character that you play?
Speaker 1: The most evil? Probably the terror Mask?
Speaker 2: Terror Mask?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in while he was in? Okay, what was the name of that video game? I don't play video games.
Speaker 3: That's all right.
Speaker 2: Can you do it as scary?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, give me the line again, reality bends to my will, Reality bends to my will.
Speaker 3: That's scary. I like it.
Speaker 1: So be pretty bad. I had had to get that in there, of.
Speaker 3: Course, clearly. Okay, what else? What else? Give me one?
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a good character to pull from.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about how about Bunker Spunker's d Bobcat bring it. I'll have you know that I am the very first tune detective in all of Tnetown.
Speaker 3: I have you know that I am the very first tune detective in all of Tontown. That is Medusa from Stray Gods.
Speaker 1: She is not she's a little punkin.
Speaker 3: She's well, here's what's fun about Medusa. So Stray Gods was a musical video game it was a musical role playing game. So instead of so if you can imagine, you know, obviously branching dialogue and all of these things, we had branching music. So the decisions you would make as a player would affect which part of the song you heard, which lines in the song, which music, all of that, and so Medusa my m My first recording session was the first recording session they did with any of the actors, and the music that they gave me was like some dude plugging it out on a piano, and so we didn't really have a sense of what it was going to sound like. So they were very very lovely about, like, well, what do you want to do, why do you bring us bring bring to this what you want to bring to it? And so I asked if I could have her monster sort of like what her speaking voice and when she was in kind of that that ensnaring place that she would that she would sound like she just did, but when she was hypnotizing people to be able to lure them in, she would have full like sirens song musical legit. So I got to flip back and forth between those and again use the music theater enough for.
Speaker 1: This and Medusa. So tell me who does your hair?
Speaker 3: Athena did my hair because she forced me to have those snakes in my head. I see, it's all Athena's fault. I know. Okay, let me think of what. Okay, who else? Oh, here's a fun one. If you don't like what you see, put a bag over your head.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay.
Speaker 4: If you don't like what you see, put a bag over your head and bounce on out of here. Tfne Now I can still see you.
Speaker 1: Goodbye? Okay.
Speaker 3: Can I just tell you this is one of the reasons I love what we do is because I am feeling the delight at hearing these voices that that children and everybody else is hearing. I remember being with you in the bar of our hotel at MCM London and there was a little girl or there was a family and the parent came over to you, and we're like, our little girl really loves Winnie the Pooh. Do you think you could maybe come over and talk to her and just watch them? Oh my god, Winnie the Poo is in front of me. It's right there. And that feeling I get it too. I get it.
Speaker 1: We all get it.
Speaker 3: When it's something it became a part of us, whether when we were young or now. And if we feel that, we know someone else is feeling it. So we got to go do the thing. That's the message of today's podcast. Go do the thing. Yes, do the thing.
Speaker 1: You know the thing.
Speaker 3: You know that the thing is. Go do the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about being right, don't worry about being wrong, don't worry about being great at it. Go do the thing.
Speaker 1: And not the one and the fantastic for.
Speaker 3: No, don't do that. That's a that's a whole different kind of doing that. We are not endorsing wrong thing. I mean I shouldn't say we aren't endorsing I don't know. I don't know who's listening to this podcast. So whatever floats your boat.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you all good?
Speaker 2: Yeah children listening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, would hope not. There's some stuff we've talked about it I would edit out.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, we're talking about cartoons. No kids, just kidding's.
Speaker 2: I think most of our audience is like in the thirties. It's like probably it's even thirty five, but it's skewed more to my kids.
Speaker 3: The twenty eight we are grown kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eight to thirty two. I think the prime all right, cool, Yeah, you know they have a little kids grow up.
Speaker 1: I don't want about about Yeah you got the one, you got the idea.
Speaker 2: But thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate you guys. So much fun to talk with you.
Speaker 2: It's great fun to.
Speaker 3: Get a chance to say bless you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything you need to announce or on.
Speaker 2: When this is coming out in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Wonderful? I do then, Oh I'm so excited. Okay, So I have a charity event that I put on every year called the Puppy Roll where we playpy role like the Puppy Bowl, but not the Puppy Roll is this one And for this particular charity event, I and familiar faces from stage and screen will come play D and D as our dogs. Interesting We play our dogs in this game, and we do it in order to raise awareness and funds for an organization called pet co Love, which is a five oh one C three that supports animal rescue efforts and welfare nationwide. They are incredible. I met them years ago when I went to a Red I was on the Red carpet for an awards show, and they brought puppies to the red carpet and I was like, this must be required from now on, all red carpets must have puppies. So, yeah, we do this every year. This year we are doing it at gen Con. So we will have a live audience of about five hundred and fifty people along with streaming it worldwide, and so we will have the donations coming in from there. We will have the donations coming in hopefully from the audience, and there may or may not be live puppies involved, and.
Speaker 1: There may or may not be a lot of newspapers on the ground.
Speaker 3: There may or may not be anything impossible.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, forget the newspapers on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So if you're going to gen Con, please grab your tickets. It's going to be on August first, which is Saturday, ten thirty to two thirty at the D and D Tower, which is the Indiana Repertory Theater. And if you are not sorry ten thirty to two thirty Eastern Standard time because time zones, and if you are not going to gen Con, then at that time it will be streaming on my YouTube channel along with the support of the good folks at Dungeons and Dragons, and we're gonna have a wonderful time. I shall be reprising my role as our late dog Charlie aka Charle b bargainter Bard and Biscuitologist and the mayor of Dogo, our and our new dog Chili. We just got him, and he's a trouble maker.
Speaker 1: Oh my, I'm Chili, are you? I could say, I think I'm chilly from the streets.
Speaker 3: I'm from the mean streets of Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: The mean streets too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom promoted me to Senior nap manager and Minister of Treats.
Speaker 1: Look out into a Minister of treats. Well done, ladies and gentlemen. Oh my goodness, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for being wonderful.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate it, and thank you all for watching. Once again, I say this every episode, but honestly, this podcast couldn't happen without you. Really appreciate the support everybody watching, all of our Patreons, subscribe subscribers. I can't talk all of you. All of our Patreon subscribers really appreciate it. And if you like this content, be sure to like and subscribe YouTube is a weird website. You can literally watch this episode and then it'll never This channel will never be recommended again. It's really weird. So don't let that happen to you. Be sure to like and subscribe. And with all that said and done, one more thing almost forgot about live tour with fan Expo. Jim. We're doing the podcast live a live audience with partnership with fan Expo's really cool.
Speaker 1: It's a great vibe it. Uh, you know, come and participate, won't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like the feel of the live audience. I feel like it puts me a little on edge.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like exciting. You know, I can't screw up like I just did, fumbling my words.
Speaker 3: Or if you do, you got a lot of people in front of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll be there to enjoy it exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but beautiful. The next day's coming up for it if you want to come and see it live. Are in Chicago August fourteenth and sixteenth, Toronto August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, Dallas September eleventh to the thirteenth, and San Francisco November twenty seventh to the twenty ninth. We're still working on Anaheim. We're not sure. I don't even know if this episode is going to come out before Anaheim ins in a couple of weeks, but if it is, then be sure to be there. And we're adding more to her dates as the year goes on, so be sure to check that out. And with all that said and downe once again, I'm producer Chris Mister, Jim Cummings and Angelie Mamani. Thank you so much for being here. We will see you in the next one.
Speaker 1: There you go, nice, Thank you, thank you. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to fanexpohq dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. Thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings