Speaker 1: Welcome friends and podcast podcast is done?
Speaker 2: Show back again right there? Talking about Bob?
Speaker 1: What is it? It's your pet?
Speaker 3: Number one? If you've got to keep him out of bright life. Number two, keep him away from water. It's incredible and probably the most important thing. Don't ever feed him after midnight? Do you? What are these things?
Speaker 2: Gremlins?
Speaker 3: That was I'll bet every kid in America would like to have one. They might even replace the dog as the family pet.
Speaker 1: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachie Son. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going, Zachi? Brian?
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like it's a test of character whether you know the three absolutely inviolable rules. Whenever I meet somebody, I say, there are three rules, and you cannot You cannot defy them.
Speaker 2: That's right. You do not talk about politics or religion at the dinner table.
Speaker 1: Those are those are the less important rules?
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, fill me in. What are the more important rules? I need to know these?
Speaker 1: Well? Number one, never expose them to light, don't get them wet, yes, And most importantly, no matter how much they beg do not feed them before noon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I did see it written out when I saw twelve. So I just assume I surely got the gist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure if you follow those three exactly as I stated, everything will be fine.
Speaker 2: Perfect. So we're here to talk about Gremlins.
Speaker 1: Gremlins is you know, Gremlins is a It is a very specific memory, That's what I've realized, because I don't know that this is a movie that has transcended in the way that, for example, Back to the Future has.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that as I was watching it, because I feel like it's something everybody knows, even when my parents are in town now because Christmas is upon us, and I mentioned that I was watching Gremlins. Oh Gremlins. Yeah, yeah, you know, like, but it's not something you see replayed on television a lot. I don't feel like you see as many toys. Yeah, you know, there's certain toys that have transcended, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I was, as it happens, I was at Target a couple of weeks ago, and I saw a gizmo on the toys for grown ups, and I was absolutely delighted because because of what you kind of what you say, like I I would not have thought that you would see a thing such as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stand corrected. I mean, and he is such an iconic design, right, He's just immediately adorable, so much so that apparently later you know, Ferby basically ripped them off. So bastards. But yeah, but this is also one that I think I was a little young when it came out, too young for it, so I kind of had to find it along the way, And you know, it was I was a little bit older, like in my teens, I think when I first saw it. Oh really, even though I was very familiar with it. Oh that's interesting. Yeah, Like, it wasn't something I got from the video store. It's probably something I saw on television, okay, and then it was like oh and then probably the Steven Spielberg of it, you know, present like, oh, okay, I should this should be something I watch.
Speaker 1: Well, with that in mind, speaking of something you should watch, why don't we start watching it? Yes, and then we can continue this conversation. Let's so, folks, we are watching the nineteen eighty four original Gremlins. There's only one cut. It is the theatrical cut, So if you want to watch along with us, you're certainly welcome to do so if not, hey, we'll try to keep this an interesting conversation. Hopefully drop some drop some factoids, some nuggets, some words of wisdom along what we've learned from a lifetime of battling gremlins. Yes, uh, so let's do this thing. We'll do the usual thing. Hit play on three one two three play Brian, You're ready, I'm ready, all right, here we go one two three play.
Speaker 2: So right up top.
Speaker 1: Worth mentioning that this movie was the first one to bring back this classic Warner Brothers shield. Uh and Warner Brothers liked the look so much that they brought it back for their other films. But up you know, day before this, they had been using the kind of art deco looking not art, not really art deco, kind of a you know, I'm talking about it, like the three.
Speaker 2: What's that like the Saal bass. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, yeah, the sal bass looking thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, yeah. Interesting. You know, I've never loved that one.
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make me warm and fuzzy where I'll say the shield does. Well, that's because that's what we grew up with, right, definitely, I mean and then also, I don't know, there's something aesthetically nice about it, the blue and orange and the clouds, and yeah, I mean it's definitely the one that I love the most. Yeah, and I know recently, I think with Barbie now they have sort of a more updated version of it. And I'm like, no, speaking of Warner Brothers, when you go on the Warner Brothers tour, they take you down a street, you know, a fake city street, and they say, you know, at the end of this is where Prince shot the image of him on the motorcycle and purple rain and over here this little staircase, this is the entrance to the shop in Gremlins, And wow, so kind of cool.
Speaker 1: So hoyt Axton as Randall Peltzer as I do. I looked it up. You know how old he was in this movie?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how much forty five? Forty five so our age? Yeah, yeah, so I rocketed right past Billy and ended up at rand Wow. Well, and I saw that the mother is thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's just it's just interesting. In the eighties they had people just old, you know, of a certain age, dressing more dowdy, you know, or you.
Speaker 1: Know what's funny though, this is this is a testament to I think me just getting older. I watched this and I'm I'm looking at at Hoite accident over here. I'm like, man, that's a nice looking hat.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. You know, it's funny you say that because well, I know, you do rock a fedora and you you kill it. I mean, certain people can pull that off. But actually, this very shot we're looking at right now. When I watched this two nights ago, I did think, I I it's it's just a shame that we lost the fedora. I agree, you know, just by and large of you know, going into the office and taking off your fedora. You know, there's something classy about it. Yeah. I don't know now, I don't have the subtitles on, but I think this gentleman is offering him frogert.
Speaker 1: Which is cursed.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's bad.
Speaker 1: The topping is made of potassium benzo weet, that's bad. I was watching this scene, you know, and you have Key Luke as grandfather.
Speaker 2: And I was kind of like, is this racist? You know, I was doing you know, it's funny. I've seen think pieces on it. Yeah, and some could feel yeah, I mean these are sort of very generalized, stereotypical sorts of imagery. We're seeing of an Asian man here with the pipe, and you know, maybe slightly mystical. And then I've seen other people saying that maybe this is an allegory about how American culture tries to exploit other cultures.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, well I definitely had that thought watching this. Yeah, man, this is like, this is just America coming in. It's like, hey, I'm gonna take this. It's like no, no, no, you absolutely shouldn't. I'm gonna take it anyway.
Speaker 2: It is kind of funny. I mean, this boy's like, here, take it, and he's just like, yeah, all right, even though like your grandfather explicitly said he's like sure, a little kid, I'll take this for me.
Speaker 1: He doesn't say like, well no, Willie, we should check with your grandpa, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: What's interesting though, is that especially you know, the way White Acton plays him. But I mean, rand Peltzer is so lovable, he's great, yeah right, yeah, and I think that helps.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, he seems well did you read that Pat Hinkle read for this role really ok? And they said he was really good. But you know, his character is sort of a failed inventor. Yeah, and they said that pat Hingle really leaned into the drama of that, and it just made it sort of sad, you know. And here this guy is a little bit I would he's not clumsy or goofy, but he's also you can see he's frustrated, but he kind of keeps his chin up.
Speaker 1: You know, right, he always sees the positive side.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And they leaned toward that, and I think that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I think that's the right tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And by the way, I mean, another fun fact about him is that he was a songwriter and he wrote three Dog Night's Joy to the World. Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Actually incredible. Wow. Yeah. And I guess he had been in The Black Stallion before this, which is where they noticed him. Okay, okay, which I haven't seen that a long time. Did you ever show that to your kids?
Speaker 1: Never shown which I haven't seen it since the eighties? Probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna say, I feel like that was something they even showed us in school. But yeah, I speaking of a movie that's been lost a little bit to times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I think Francis Koppla produced that, didn't.
Speaker 2: He Uh oh? Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, and then uh oh shoot, you know the woman who rody Tea shoot him losing it, but she she wrote that, and then she was Lyssa Matheson. I was, I was thinking of the Yeah, anyway.
Speaker 1: This nice little shout out to Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 2: By the way, there's a lot of them. Oh yeah, it's it's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: They should call it Spielbergville, you know, it was kind of fun Well.
Speaker 2: Let's appreciate Hill Valley by the way. Here Hill Valley before it was Hill Valley, right, and then we got a fun old timey Matt painting there to extend it and make it look like a Norman Rockwell kind of picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was watching this with my eleven year old yesterday and I was like, do you recognize that's Hill Valley? And he goes, yeah, look there's the courthouse. So he he caught it.
Speaker 2: It's so iconic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, now, I no matter what you watch, you can't help it. Yeah, I mean because that that clock tower becomes a character in that film, right. Yeah. I was noticing that this was split up between Universal this sort of town Square and then Warner Brothers because I had gone, and I mean again, I know it's because the tour and we had gone as a family around the holidays. They dress it up like stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls, so they make Luke's Cafe look like Luke's Cafe and whatever. But as we were going through there, and I hadn't seen Gilmour at the time, now I have, but and so I'm like, oh, I don't know any of this stuff. And then our tour guide's like, oh, and then that's the house where the old woman flies out the window in Gremlins, And I was like, oh, take out my phone snaps and now you're speaking my language exactly. Yeah. You know, I got to say here this isn't like an actual criticism, but watching this specific scene here where we have the snow covered car and the car won't start and Billy's like oh, and then his neighbor comes over and talks to him, I was like, you know, this doesn't look cold, like his jacket's kind of open. You know, they're not hunched in like that. It feels like may and southern California with some you know, you know, white something on the ground.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. We've lived it.
Speaker 2: We know, yeah, we know, we know.
Speaker 1: I was watching this. I was like, man, you know, Zach Gallaghan is really charming. He's such a good lead in this movie. I agree, Like it's a shame, like I mean, he's never stopped working, but it's a shame like he never really had a higher profile, like he's still like, oh, from Gremlins.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a little surprised. Yeah, yeah, he's very very likable. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: He you know, he's sort of a quintessential nineteen eighties lead character where he's kind of straight and narrow, good guy, and he embodies that well you know that that sort of that archetype.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, it's that guy.
Speaker 1: Dick Miller.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Well he's in every Joe Dante movie I think, right, pretty much, not in every, but in many well not yeah, sorry, not literally.
Speaker 1: And he had a good year this year because he was also in a The Terminator in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: That's right. Way we have to point out that marquee there in the theater, So Watch the Skies was the original title of Close Encounters, and a Boy's Life was the original title of et a Little Spielberg Easter in there you know what's funny. I remember when Ready Player one came out, people were like, is this too?
Speaker 1: You know what would make this scene work better? Sorry, I don't mean to interrupted. Yeah, if you had Power of Love playing in the background.
Speaker 2: Exactly, just that's the theme of this square. Just thenytime you walk through this square, no matter what movie by law, just I would love that anyway, Sorry you were saying, well, no, I'm just gonna say people were sort of wondering if Ready Player one was too self referential because the story inherently is a love letter to Spielberg's sort of movies, and then to have Spielberg make it was that too. Is he the right guy to make that film? Yeah? And it's just funny because I mean it's always sort of been that way, even nineteen forty one opens with a Jaws parody. You know, you got him producing this movie, and there's like a lot of Spielberg Ye nods in here, so sort of always been like that. So I was also going to say there was a story I came across a lot researching this movie, which was about Zach Gallaghan's audition with I guess he was reading opposite Phoebe Kate's and.
Speaker 1: And he was like hamahammahammahammada.
Speaker 2: Well sort of, he was very he was very Google eyes. And I guess the quote I saw everywhere I read about it was Spielberg was like, look at look at it, like he's in love with her. Like we've we've got to cast him. Okay, in that case, I should have played Billy, I know, yeah, like if it's very difficult. That was before they yelled action. Yeah. I mean Phoebe Kates, she's just iconic, iconic eighties beautiful, just yeah, you know, fast times. Obviously, it was two years before this, and I guess that was another thing with the with Warner Brothers. They thought, is she wholesome enough for this role? Because you know, her role had you know, fast times and fast times. But she's she's great in this. Yeah. Married to Kevin Klein, which I think, Yeah, she just like stopped acting, yeah, yeah, to raise her family, which good.
Speaker 1: Good for her.
Speaker 2: I say, you know, yeah, if.
Speaker 1: You can, if you can get out of the hellscape that is Hollywood and just you know, be content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not feel any pressure. You just live your life the way you choose to live it exactly. You know this is interesting. This. Uh, there's if I remember correctly, there's sort of inference about what's going on and what miss Deegal does in this town here. It's not quite explicit. We just know that she's not very forgiving to people who owe her money. I think later we see a real estate sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically she's trying to sell the land to someone like developer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's like a Mister Potter esque character. And it's it's funny because I was reading that the original cut of this so this movie is about an hour forty five, The original cut was over two and a half hours, and I was like, what could that possibly be? And basically you read that there was a lot more story, you know, even like Judge Reinhold's character had an entire arcy he.
Speaker 1: Just disappears after like the fifteen minute mark, right.
Speaker 2: Well, and I was gonna say that it's sort of to me shows that they made the correct decision. I agree, where there are certain movies where you think, well, why did that guy just show up and not come back? And they really did have it seems like a lot of story going on in this town and these characters and the way that they interacted and growth and whatnot. But at the end of the day, at this movie, what you want to see is Gremlin's in the snow in little clothes, singing Christmas Carol. That's right, Like I think they they got that, and so they whittled it down to exactly what we wanted to see for exactly the right amount of time we wanted to see it, and we don't miss Judge Reinhold's characters, Catharsis later in the film.
Speaker 1: You know, now you can you can see the deleted footage. I believe it's it's online.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, so this too, I mean, Judge Ryan Hold the same year as Beverly Hills Cop So, which was the number one movie of eighty four. I think this was the fourth highest grossing movie of nineteen eighty four. Yeah, man, I'll tell you it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: The hype train was real because I remember I was a kid, and you know that summer when we came to the States, you know, we got Gremlin's toys, and I remember when I was at school, I checked out the Gremlins story books and everything, Like I fully I knew the world. I had read the novelization. Hmm, like it was very, very culturally ubiquitous. There's Chuck Jones, by the way, on the right.
Speaker 2: I love it. He's basically like, you're gonna make it someday, Billy, and the camera just kind of moves past, and like, I love it. So I guess him and Joe Dante are friends.
Speaker 1: They were friends, and that was at least part of the reason why Joe Dante directed Looney Tunes Back in Action was Yeah, because Chuck Jones before he died, was not thrilled with space jam. Okay, like the way that the Loony Tunes were characterized, Yeah, he said it. It sort of it betrayed their essence, even though I believe Dante is a producer on that. And so Joe Dante had said, like he took Onloney Tunes Back in Action as a way of protecting Chuck's legacy.
Speaker 2: You know that rings a bell because I think I remember Chuck Jones saying that bugs Bunny wouldn't call on anyone for help, right, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, And the plot is him, of course, calling on Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Which of all people, of course, he would call on Michael Jordan for help.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, yeah, which, by the let me just say Looty Tunes Back in Action, which is a movie that Dante is basically disowned.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad movie. It's actually pretty decent.
Speaker 2: That's my memory of it. I've only seen it once, but I remember it's not gonna live on like a Roger Rabbit or something. But if you like the Looney Tunes, it's fun.
Speaker 1: And I will say in terms of like the marriage of live action and animation, it it easily competes with with what Roger Rabbit accomplished. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, that's one of those like it's been lost to the mists of time. But but you know, anybody listening to this, it's a it's a decent movie. I think if you like the Looney Tunes characters, you'll enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, I have to point this, Oh, this is funny a Chris Columbus tick in his writing, which is just like something around a household getting knocked over. So you think a home alone, and you know they always bump that little statue out front, and here we have the stords falling off the wall. That's hey, there's uh, it's a wonderful life yeph which also features in a lot of Chris Columbus movies. But I wanted to point out real quick this little moment in the bar that I really loved, and then I read about it later. I guess Phoebe Kates was talking to Zach Gallaghan and saying, you know, when you're acting, you always want to give your character something interesting to do. And so then she picked something up off the ground and put it on his shoulder. And then in that scene where Judge Reinhold is hitting on her, she turns to Billy and then picks that little thing off his shoulder, which is a really great character moment because you see where her you know, loyalty lies or yeah, that's creations and it's very sweet. It immediately in my mind makes me think, oh, I love these two together.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's pretty smart.
Speaker 1: So this movie Yes, started out Sorry as you're talking about Chris Columbus, it was a spec script that he wrote, Yes, and it was like hard are horror, Yes, Like the mother gets to Capital, she gets decapitated. They eat the gremlins, eat Barney, Yes, eat the dog.
Speaker 2: I guess there's like a scene in McDonald's where you see them inside the McDonald's, but then when it cuts inside, they're not eating the food, they're eating the customers, right, And it's so.
Speaker 1: This is you know, we say this a lot, but like, you know, this is the Spielberg of it, all right, Yes, and so many times his instincts are so dead on where he's like, this is not this is not that movie, because.
Speaker 2: Then you do do that and you could end up with like ghoolies. I was thinking exactly that. That's exactly what I was thinking, Like that box at the video store where you're like, what what is that? Yes?
Speaker 1: It well and the other thing as written originally, Gizmo becomes Spike mm hmm. And Spielberg again, man, like the guy just understand just instinctively. He's like, no, audiences are not gonna.
Speaker 2: Want that, yep, yep. And then I mean along that train, it was like, sorry, did I say Spike stripe Stripe? Yeah, yeah, but at the end it was going to be Billy who saved the day, which you can kind of understand as a writer. Yeah, but Spielberg is like, no, it has to be Gizmo, Like these are his people. He's gonna stop his his people, and I was like, yeah, his instincts, like you said, and it makes sense, you know. I again, from a writer perspective, I do sort of see the friend turned enemy. I can see that version where Gizmo becomes stripe, but he's so cute we don't want to lose him. Yeah, I know it's and it is kind of nice then that he's the one who takes care of everything at the end of the day, even though he didn't start it, but he's the one who will stop it. I mean, this, this design is just undeniable. It's genius is genius.
Speaker 1: I mean it is iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baited breathway from the show's face here, but he means who did not want a gizmo after watching this movie? And I still want a gizmo? Yeah? And then of course Howie Mandel as his squeaky little voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing a dry run for Bobby's world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I guess I read somewhere. I don't know if this is you know, sort of becoming legend or whatever making things up, But the rule of light not having them in light had to do with making it easier to hide cables and strengths and puppets interest, which makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean it does, but also like it's so intrinsic to the story, right, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well it helps too. Yeah, just you know, it makes you wonder what they're going to do on the fourth of July, like the poor thing has to be left in a room with the blind shut, you know. But it does also allow the movie to be sort of moody, right, creepy. You know, it's so cute. Oh my gosh, she's so adorable.
Speaker 1: Man, practical puppets.
Speaker 2: You know, there's just something magical there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I know they're limiting like in a lot of ways, but it's just so much more effective seeing him curled up into his dad right there with that little scared expression on his face shaking, you know. Yeah yeah. And you know, they could do a sequel now and and have thousands of gremlins, you know, but it seems like that was sort of the point of contention where it's like, no, no, if we do this, we need it to.
Speaker 1: Have the.
Speaker 2: You know, the same sort of tactility and the puppetry and the originals. And I don't know, I know they did do an animated series that was on Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: It's still going. Yeah, the Secrets of the Mugway. See what's interesting If you look at Gizmo, there's something vaguely evilish on his face.
Speaker 2: You know, I noticed that mostly in this scene. He looks different in this scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think at this point there were still like it was it was the stripe version.
Speaker 2: Ah, that makes a little sense, right, yeah, because later or for most of the film, he doesn't have that little i don't know what you'd call it, like a sharper sort of expression on his eyes. Here where.
Speaker 1: Now now, I should say. In the novelization my recollection, I read this a while ago, but they they explained that the mug why were created by aliens. Oh interesting, and that what they found was that only one out of every ten thousand remained you know, docile and cute. Oh and so they were you know, disposed of, And somehow Gizmo ends up on Earth. And I'm like, well, I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of makes me think of that the ancient Aliens meme. That guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like aliens, Like, I don't need Gizmo to be an alien. I need Gizmo to be We don't know what gizmo is he's just Gizmo.
Speaker 2: I kind of agree. I'd rather it feel a little more. That just feels like a catch all aliens, something that can explained, Like I'd rather be like, well, he comes from a remote area, been untouched by humans, you know, messing with them, and they know how to exist and take care of themselves. But when you bring them, you know, into people who can't be responsible, this is what you get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, just people ruining everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great shot right there with the juice the juice maker just looming and like.
Speaker 2: You'd rather not use it.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is one of those things too where you imagine like you want to get it right because you don't want to have to reset this set after they basically blow up all this orange juice everywhere. That's right. Do you recognize that glass, by the way, That is a very nineteen eighties glass. I remember a lot of my foods. Yep. I have definitely drunk out of that glass. Corey Feldman, very young Corey Feldman here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this is what got him the gig on Goonies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Apparently he auditioned for E t Okay and I thought I had heard somewhere that as they were developing the script there was an extra kid, and they decided to just make all the focus on Elliott, okay, And so then they you know, went with Henry Thomas, and Spielberg promised Feldman like, well, we'll get something for you because he saw there was something there, and then put him in Gremlins and of course he had Goonies and stand by me. Yeah, I mean he's you know, the eighties, one of the greats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's in he's in Burps also.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, that's right. Well, wow, I didn't think about that, the Dante connection. Yeah, they must have hit it off. I mean, he's quite young here, but I mean, isn't that funny. It's less than a decade, but he seems so much older in the Burbs than here. Yeah, weird, really young. Yeah. I thought I read somewhere else and I couldn't see it. I only saw it in one spot. But they said that Billy was originally going to be a little younger, and so that's where the Feldman as sort of his buddy comes in, because here it just seems like, you know, he's Billy is what probably like twenty or something. Maybe having the job he has, and.
Speaker 1: I assume he's like eighteen, yeah yeah, out of high school, right, because he goes back to visit that teacher. Yeah so just out of high school. Yeah, yeah, said. I always liked the relationship. It's like it's like a cool older brother, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember having people like that in my neighborhood where it was like, oh yeah, the kid was older, was like nice, and you kind of looked up to him. Yeah. Oh, we didn't get to it earlier. But there's that moment where Billy reflects the mirror on him and then the the light makes Gizmo fall off, and then we see his legs kicking in the garbage can. And it's fun watching the practical ways they switch out the puppet, you know. So the camera is sort of pushing in on his little legs and then it tilts up to Billy, and so you can do like a little Texas switch, right, Like you leave the leg kicking robot down there and then you pick up a different one into frame, you know. So it's like, well, this one does wiggles its legs, this one has expressions, this one. It's very clever how they execute all this you know, and this is another thing too. I was thinking about, well, you know the.
Speaker 1: Rule, it'd be funny right here if Billy just went ape shit on God damn it, you idiot.
Speaker 2: You know you're done, Yeah, get out. Yeah, only in this scene.
Speaker 1: He's totally mellow the whole to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is kind of fun. You know, these sort of like I mean, clearly, that's like a hole in the desk and like a balloon covered in fur or something.
Speaker 1: See. I was looking at these comics. I was like, man, there's some vintage comics. I was like, oh wait, those were like present day comics back then. M really, I'm vintage, not the comics.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess that was a much bigger plot point in the longer version about him being a cartoonist. Yeah, here's just flavor. But I works for me. Yeah, I think the.
Speaker 1: World is flashed out enough that the characters aren't just ciphers by the time we get to all the you know, all the the gremlininius gremlininess of it all.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about this sometimes, but you know, with animals in movies, they don't know they're in a movie. You know, they're just standing somewhere there happens to be camera and weird things are happening around them, and it's kind of funny watching this dog look at these things.
Speaker 1: What is he thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta wonder, you know.
Speaker 1: I do love the when we get like the reaction shot of.
Speaker 2: Gizmo, oh like nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I mean you get a such a clear sense of what a puppet is feeling, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh here he has. It's kind of like despair because he knows, yeah, he knows what's coming. It's kind of funny how quickly Feldman's character is like, oh yeah, yeah, amazing, just seem like a gizmo right there, isn't that great? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 2: He's so expressive.
Speaker 1: I know, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, this is hoyite accident here, Like this moment here, there's just the right amount of sadness. Like as a grow I don't even know what would have clocked with me as much as a kid, but as a grown up here I feel a little bad form yeah right, things not working in front of his son, and but then here, you know, he picks himself back up. Hey hey, hey, check this out, and he's all excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's something sort of there. There's a there's a stick toitiveness that is either admirable or depressing.
Speaker 2: He's still okay. On that note. I never really thought about it very much. But there's that scene where the mother is chopping I think onions, I think, and she's watching It's a Wonderful Life or It's Potatoes, I actually can't tell. But she seems sad, right, and she blames it on the movie. I thought it was maybe the onions, but it seems like she's really internalizing something which I think is their life. Yeah, you know, and I never realized how kind of sad that is still actually this recent viewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I I again, it's like at forty five, if you're still trying to have the bathroom, buddy cell, you know, yeah, maybe maybe you need to rethink your choices a little bit, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, which which is good motivation. Then when he realizes, well, if we could sell this the Peltzer pet, yeah, you know, it makes sense. That's is that gizmo playing the trumpet there really happy under the tree because they throw something at him, I think, acting like jerks. That's why I thought it was. Yes, I think so yeah, I wasn't certain, but it is so adorable. How happy he is playing that little trumpet.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's that's gizmo.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and he's so sad.
Speaker 1: There's some mean.
Speaker 2: Even that, I mean the acting on those puppets where he's like looking over like that I hurt his feelings good, And then he goes back to the video game like just so simple but so expressive, and it was it's smart to because the others they go way further where than in part two, where they you know, you have a googly eyed gremlin, you have a female gremlin, you have but this but this one they do sort of look similar. But it's nice. You have Stripe. It's like, and I've noticed it. It seems like adr because you never see him actually say it with his mouth, but he'll be like, oh that's Stripe. That's the leader, you know, and it gives you you can identify it. You know.
Speaker 1: People give this sequel a lot of shit, you know, for you know, obviously we got a whole key and peel sketch out of it, right like all the crazy ideas that they had for it, and and Joe Dante has said is like, no, that's that's very accurate, like in terms of how they came up with the ideas for part two. That's hilarious. But like, the truth is, the second one is not that far removed from this one tonally.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, I don't you know it's funny because I think this one it feels a little bit more in reality, except like, yes.
Speaker 1: Well sorry, I don't mean to interrupt you, but yeah, in terms of the human character sort of acting like regular human beings, yes, yes, yes, But in terms of the gremlins and the way they are sort of cartoonish.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that they have little clothes that are tailored to them, and you have like the flasher like gremlin. Where did he get that trench coat exactly? So it's like that, take that part of it, yeah, and then say let's run with that, right. Yeah. Yeah, it's funny because I mean I'd seen this one numerous times before I saw the second one. I think I found the second one a little jarring in just how much of a Looney Tunes cartoon it is, and I would like to revisit it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it, and I remember so I this movie came out in eighty four. I think I saw it in eighty seven is my recollection visiting Toronto and my cousins Harris and Humsa who listened to the show. I watched it at their house, but I knew the story very very well because I had read the book and you know, I knew it. And then you know, Gremlin's Two was what ninety right, yeah, so relatively shortly thereafter, and so I wasn't watching it with like I remember watching it and being like, oh, this is funny, and I wasn't like, how dare they be funny? I was like, oh, it's funny, you know, right, So I just sort of onboarded it. Maybe just because I was young, I don't know, you know, but I've always I've always enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would approach it differently now, especially you know Joe Dante letting his freak flag fly, you know, and like following his passions and his love for you know, Looney Tunes cartoons and things like that. I think, for me, what I love about this, and we talk about this a lot, is why all these eighties movies really appeal to me is I love this magic in your own backyard type of yarn. And this movie feels a little bit more like that, whereas the second one feels like a slightened, heightened reality, you know, with the futuristic building and sort of the funny hats that they wear as employees there, and a little more cynical. Yeah, a little more cynical, a little more fantastical, just reality itself. But I think knowing that, so, I think I was jarred when I went from this one to that one. But I think if I now that I know, that, I might enjoy it for its own personality. Yeah more Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I watched this yesterday with my eleven year old and he's like, oh, can we watch the second one tomorrow? And I'm like, yeah, so I guess I'll be watching it.
Speaker 2: In the couple. Actually, I would love to know what he thinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I think that the I think that there is a in the second one, you know, where you have like the people who saved the day are Billy mister Futterman, right, So there is sort of an and implied like, oh, small town values are still gonna gonna beat out you know, all them them them city folk, you.
Speaker 2: Know, sure, sure, sure, Oh that's interesting. Yeah, yeah, I can see that as a take definitely. Well, here we're getting a little bit where we're having this guy, you know, the Futterman, talking about World War two, right, and that's kind of where the notion of gremlins began. Yeah, so here's here's my question.
Speaker 1: Were those actual gremlins like in this movie?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good that's a good point. Are they even gremlins or is it appropriating?
Speaker 1: Exactly right, that's my question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to whatever these little moms.
Speaker 1: That's what I see.
Speaker 2: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: You know how they keep talking about the USS Indianapolis movie for a Jaws like a prequel. Yes, I want the mister Futterman prequel with the Gremlins.
Speaker 2: Zachy. That could be a really fun movie. That could be you know, speaking of one of those things. I mean, obviously i'd prefer in the theaters, but when they were trying to come up with stuff straight to Max or whatever, dude, there you go, there you go, like this World War two adventure and then you know, fighting the gremlins. I would love that.
Speaker 1: And and have have that adventure somehow intersect with the USS Indianapolis prequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, it's connect all the universes. Yeah, it's a Spielberg universe. That's right, yeah, but I mean to get specific, I guess it's in the when there was mechanical failure with aircraft or machinery in the war. I guess it sort of began in the RAF. Yes, that's the UK, but they would blame like, oh, there must be a gremlin in the machine. Yeah, you know, messing with the internal machinery making it mess up. And so that's where and then roll dall real quick right.
Speaker 1: There where she's sorry, I don't mean to cut you off. She's like, I don't celebrate Christmas. He's like, what are you Hindu or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know. It's like, yeah, he's very as sweet as he is, he's a little insensitive in this scene. I mean not just for that that specifically, but just like what's better you know, you know.
Speaker 1: It has little things that like it's like that SNL with the with the the old p S A S. Where he's like smoking that's gay, you know, right right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like how immediately dated certain things are from. Yeah, but it's like you would think a sensitive person would say, oh, well why is that You're right, what's the matter with you? Hindu or something? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's hilarious, but this is really sweet.
Speaker 2: He's so like, I don't know, look at her, look at They're both freaking adorable in this scene, so like yeah, wide and look at that start out.
Speaker 1: And then out of nowhere he's like, can you take off your shirt? Because he watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Speaker 2: And then Warner Brothers is.
Speaker 1: Like, see like a poor phosy kids.
Speaker 2: Good Times so sweet anyway, so yes, but Roll Dahl was in the RAF and then he so he would know this whole sort of like joking around that people would say about Gremlins, and then he wrote a book called The Gremlins, and I guess at some point Walt Disney wanted to make it into a movie.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there's a Bugs Bunny cartoon about Gremlins on an airport.
Speaker 1: Dad, I remember seeing and I saw that after this movie and I was like, that's not what gremlins look like.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Yeah. Yeah. And this actor I don't have his name right off the top. See.
Speaker 1: Now this is interesting because like you know, with missus Deegal, like the movie is setting her up to get her up. And yes, with mister Hanson, you know, the whole needle thing. It's supposed to be like ironic death. Yeah, and I'm like, well, it's sound like he's.
Speaker 2: Torturing the guy, you know, you know it's funny because yeah, he never comes across his sinister and I had read I don't know if they filmed it or if it was in the script, but it was originally going to be he had a bunch of needles sticking out of his face and he was dead. And instead what we get is we don't even see his face. He's on his front and we see a needle in his butt, which feels appropriate to the tone of this movie. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, although it does, I do they do make it look kind of like it hurts the poor little guy. He's like, what are you doing sticking that in his arm? And you think about it, that is a long needle for as big as that little maglay is. This is a great little twist here with the midnight thing. Yeah, checking the clock, and then you realize later that they ripped the cord. Look at that. I love that. That's so creepy, the way they're watching him. Their heads are all turning in sync, and look at the whispering and the conspiring it's so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, the whole after Midnight thing doesn't make a lick of sense.
Speaker 2: Which I guess is what two sort of gets into, Like, right, let's just have fun with this and make fun of the premise itself. Yes, that's right, because characters in that film are even like, well, wait a minute, what if you're on an air it's always midnight somewhere. Yeah, you're crossing a time zone and it's like yeah, or what if you have something stuck in your teeth and then it happens. It's but you know, it's I don't know. Maybe nowadays, if this movie came out, people would immediately pick it apart on TikTok or something. But there's something like, when you're a kid or whatever, you just okay, not after Midnight, got it? You just go with it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, you know, well, you are right. But it also just makes me think, how like this movie came out at the perfect time for it to have this kind of real cultural sway. Yeah, you know, like I don't know that could happen today, like something brand new, not like Gremlin's the Legacy sequel or whatever. But just like.
Speaker 2: Something new like this.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it would sort of capture the people's fancy the way this did.
Speaker 2: And I don't know where that is. You know, I've complained for years, probably about like the duration of the existence of this podcast, but I feel like movie aliens are less and less iconic, and I think it's almost because there are no limitations. Yeah, you know, so then they make them super fanciful, and then they are less memorable than your ET's or your whatever or your gizmos. And I don't know. Yeah, it's hard to imagine a new movie coming out in a new creature and it taking the world by storm the way that this did, but that that could there's a lot of factors to that. I mean, the world has just changed the way that we take in this.
Speaker 1: Is Invasion of the Body Snatcher's right here that Billy's watching.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know. You know. Another interesting fact is that this was really on the same day as Ghostbusters in nineteen eighty four. Oh interesting, Yeah, same day, same day, and Ghostbusters ended up doing better than this. Yeah, you know, I'm kind of curious because yes, I know, there was the like I said, this was fourth place for the year. I know it is. It must have been, because I think it was Beverly Hills cop Temple of Doom somewhere in there, and then probably Ghostbusters than this. But it's funny, like these sort of family movies, kids movies, but there are these horror comedies that kind of push it a little bit. Yeah, you know, like that's what we were subject to growing up.
Speaker 1: Well, and of course, famously this movie and Temple of Doom were what led to the creation of the PG thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, although you imagine that leap like PG to R.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean that's well a couple of thus number one. I was watching this yesterday and I'm I'm like, you know, it's pretty tame.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, the only gross thing is with the mother right right, with the microwave, and I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were folks who were worried that kids would put their pets in a microwave, right, And and I'm not discounting that that's a possibility, But I'm also like, well, kids love their pets. Gremlins are the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, And that plays into the thing that I keep saying that I like too, where it's like what if there's a monster You're not on another planet and you don't have a proton pack or something like that, Right, Like, what if you were in your kitchen and you know something, you understand there's a monster, so you shove it in the microwave like you would everything else. And like, I love using things that we understand against them, supernatural things. That's always delighted.
Speaker 1: Well, just this scene that we were just seeing right there with with the you know, Glenn Turman has the gremlin egg in his office and you know like it it the normalcy of just like high school classroom juxtaposed with this this you know hr Giger looking thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly, yeah, yeah, but yes, I mean yeah, the PG thirteen thing you can't imagine. I guess I did watch the trailer for this, and they don't reveal the look of the creatures.
Speaker 1: By the way, right behind, we got a quite accident there. That's Jerry Goldsmith. There's Steven Spielberg right.
Speaker 2: In front of him. Yeah, and then there's a funny gag with the time machine in the background.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, right there, you see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I.
Speaker 1: Don't I want to get back to what you're saying, but with Jerry Goldsmith there, we have to say, this is such a great Goldsmith score.
Speaker 2: It's the perfect tone.
Speaker 1: You know what occurred to me listening to it is it's the most John Williams score that Jerry Goldsmith has ever done.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, it's.
Speaker 1: It feels very in terms of orchestration. He was almost like inspired by the spielbergness to be very Williams.
Speaker 2: You know, well, you know that could be Spielberg pushing for that because I know when Zamechis talks about making back to the Future, he wanted to use Alan Silvestri because he had used him on Romancing the Stone. They had hit it off. But Spielberg was like, no, no, no, no, you need like a score, you need like a like He was very specific about what the score needed sound like. And then Silvestry did what he did, and Spielberg was like, oh, okay, that's fine, so maybe here. Yeah, he was like, no, no, it's gonna sound like this. Although we do get these random with Missus Diegal, especially this very early eighties synth sound, yeah, which doesn't match the rest of the score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it well, and I suppose well it works in the movie. Yeah, but it doesn't listen well if you just if you put the album on, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, oh we should note this. The school movie they're showing here is a Hemo the Magnificent Okay, which I guess sort of kicked off an era of these sort of educational films that incorporated animation and sort of the style that we see parodied a lot on Wow, Okay, Simpsons and things we grew up with. Yeah. Yeah, you know who wrote and directed this school film, Hemo the Magnificent Tell me Frank Capra Wow wrote and directed that.
Speaker 1: So a couple couple of Capra images in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and mel Blank does a voice in it, and June foray and that is really random wow, weirdly iconic little educational films. Yeah. Yeah, I mean this stuff looks so good, these like sacks opening up. I love how there's lights inside, even though that makes no sense, right, but I love it. I mean, you don't question it. No, no, the poor little gizmo watching on inside that helmet. But no, But I mean again, I just I don't want to gloss over the whole PG. Thirteen noess of this where it's Yeah, in the advertising, they didn't show the creatures. It's from Steven Spielberg, who just made et.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The poster basically shows a boy holding a box with these furry little hands sticking out of it. And so apparently, you know a lot of parents take their five year olds to see this and are like, good Lord.
Speaker 1: Good generational trauma.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also the same Summer Temple of Doom, which I think to this day remains shocking in its violence.
Speaker 1: Yes, like that one is easier to understand. I guess what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so a lot of upset parents. So Steven Spielberg himself proposes PG. Thirteen to the MPAA.
Speaker 1: See, I think I think Spielberg sho should have been like Michael Jordan, been like f them kids.
Speaker 2: They got to learn sometime. Yeah, exactly about lava sacrifice. That's right.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, if not now, then when yeah, have.
Speaker 2: You seen the Howling?
Speaker 1: By the way, I have not seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently that was where what put Dante on Spielberg's radar. And then they, I guess, collaborated in the Twilight Zone movie. Yes, that's right, which he has that funny segment right with the boy who has the holds the powers over everybody, that's right, Yeah, all the adults. And Nancy Cartwright is one of the people in that.
Speaker 1: It's the remake of It's a Good Life. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Gizmo just oh no.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I thought that was interesting too because if if the Howling caught Spielberg's eye. D Wallace is in that, so you wonder if he was like, oh, who's that? And then you interested her as Mary and e t a year after that. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Joe Dante, like we've talked about him's such a such a unique voice that it's it's a crying shame that he has essentially been either by choice or sort of just you know, by fiat, been been excommunicated from Studio Pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He he definitely has a voice, and it's a really fun horror voice, and that it feels very unique to me and I we were saying before we even started, it's surprising he doesn't have like a streaming series that's in his voice or something these days.
Speaker 1: It you know, his last okay, so his last movie was Looneychin's Back in Action. I think before that, I think Small Soldiers.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, I've never seen Small Soldiers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's I don't I don't think it's good. I would not recommend it, but I think it's it is interesting. I think the way that technology is used in that movie, it's really it's it's like, that's really cool, you know. But the movie itself is kind of a swing and a miss.
Speaker 2: But it's Gremlin's ask, right, it's very much little yeah, little figures coming to life and terrorizing people, very very much. So yeah, and you can see that that's probably the influence. But but I think, you know, it's just studio interference, right, because because I think there's probably like, oh, you know, we can sell the toys or whatever, and you know, you're not letting them just make the movie that he needs to make, you know, but you see how his sensibilities just sort of fell out of out of step with with executive thinking or you know. Yeah, I mean it's it's ironic because Luney turns back in action the whole thing. It's it the plot hinges on the studio making a stupid decision and then you know, like that's the story in the movie and that's.
Speaker 1: Literally what the that's what the studio did with regards to that movie. You know, yeah, but but it it it's one of those things where I was I was thinking watching this right and it's it's so of the moment, and it really captured the zeitgeist, and I was like, this is kind of it's just the story of every filmmaker. I don't think any filmmaker is immune to this where you'll have that that window and maybe it's a short window, maybe it's a long window where everything you do hits and then eventually you just kind of fall out of favor.
Speaker 2: It's someone else's turn. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, even even Spielberg to some extent, is in that place right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of those rare people who's just sort of grandfathered in where he'll always get to make what he wants. But his movies don't, you know, take the world by storm like they used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, you know, like right now is kind of Christopher Nolan's moment, right, Yes, and like everything that moment is going to pass. Yes, that's just the nature of these things, you know.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. Well, he's not said specifically, but almost said as much where he's said, you know, people ask him, are you ever going to make your small little indie movie, and he's like, no, I realize the privilege I have where I can make movies at the budget that I can. Yeah, you know, at this sort of scale. So it's almost like incumbent upon me. Yeah, to exercise that privilege while you can do it, while you can Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, it's just you know, like you realize this the longer you're around and you see the arcs of these filmmakers' careers, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's for a little gizmo on the dart board.
Speaker 1: It is interesting how they torment Gizmo, but they're like neighborhood bullies, Like they're not hurting him, Like they don't kill him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Like it's not like he's family. Yeah, he sucks, but he's family kind of you know. Yeah, you know, I never.
Speaker 2: Really thought about that, but you're right. Yeah, they pick on him, Yeah, they don't hurt him. Yeah, it's interesting, you know, Yeah that is I didn't think about that. So, uh, Francis Lee McCain playing the mother here, do you recognize her from another movie?
Speaker 1: I feel like I should.
Speaker 2: That is Lorraine's mom in Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I knew, now, Marty. Yeah, yeah, wow, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she got to go right back to that square.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm I'm as i'm watching this, I'm realizing one thing that, like, you know, I was living overseas when this movie came out, and very much my the notion in my head of like a typical suburban house was the Peltzer House.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, sure, you know, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It is about as quintessential as it gets, like in terms of like what an eighties suburban house looked like.
Speaker 2: You know, it is funny what I mean, I'm gonna attribute it to Spielberg kicking it off, but making the suburbs like it's like movies take place in generally, if you're gonna make a movie, they take place in New York, they take place in Los Angeles, you know, with Hughes Chicago. With Spielberg, the Suburbs, right, the Suburbs are like a capital letter the location for him so much so, and it's endured so long that now we have you know, Star Wars Skeleton Crew, Yeah, the series, and they have a Star Wars version of the Suburbs because they're you know, intentionally trying to evoke that eighties feel. So that's amazing. Yeah, and I mean this is kind of like where I grew up, so it obviously struck a chord with me.
Speaker 1: And yet amazingly you did not see this movie all the way through until the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very possible. Yeah, or maybe maybe the late eighties when the sequel was about to come out and it was on TV or something. But it was something I knew. I knew the box from the video store, you know, and you jogged a memory. I do remember the story book at the school library. But yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Remember at my school we had there was these like it was like the story of the movie for kids, but it was like these little it was like these little picture books and each book told a portion of the story.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: So you had to check out, you know whatever, five or six of them in order to get the whole movie. You know.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, So it'd be from Gizmo's point of view, it'd be from Billy's point of view, be from No, it wasn't even that. It was like like this book is from when mister Peltzer buys Gizmo to like, and now Billy and gizmoar are friends and that's like your first book like that, right, I see, you know, but in the books, you know whatever, they were like twenty twenty by page or something like that.
Speaker 1: So I remember those. I remember checking all of those out and reading them, you know. So I was probably like five. Yeah, And like I said, I remember that summer when we had to come to the States. You know, we got a little it was like a multi pack of little figurines and it was like Stripe as a mug why gizmo and Stripe as a gremlin and like a generic gremlin something like that. It's like this four pack. And I remember having those toys, you know. And I had a little Gizmo toy on my desk you know for the longest time. Uh it was like it was a plastic figurine, you know. Yeah, And so it's again it was just part of.
Speaker 2: My here we go this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see this as being kind of a traumatic moment. I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty grizzly.
Speaker 1: But I mean if any kid watches this and is like, hey, I want to do that to Rover, I mean, get that kid some help.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, we're talking about the microwave. Yeah. People not watching a lot. Oh and then also you can see the grimlin she stabbed.
Speaker 1: To move, she grabs the second knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but you see the guy still sort of struggling in the background the knife in him. Apparently they did film him struggling to get the knife out of him, okay, and they were like, no, no, too.
Speaker 1: Far, that's too much, too far, too far.
Speaker 2: It is kind of funny, though, I know there's like a sliding scale or something as time marches on, because I mean, PG now is basically what you would think of as G when we were growing up. That's right, but it is kind of like, you know, it does. I guess things have calibrated ever since the invention of PG thirteen, you know, like your toy stories are rated PG, you know, right, right, But it's it's amazing to think seeing this mom with a like a psycho knife basically just stabbing this creature repeatedly in the same rating as a toy story movie. I had that toy, that little robot right there, end up robot rightly.
Speaker 1: I had that robot.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I was like man sense memory. It was like it wasn't it was like it was a battery operated but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, so you switch them on and then he moved.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: The the great thing about about the design of the Gremlins is that there's a real like it's not just just gleap clop, you know, mm hmm. There's this kind of artistic is there's a there's a weird beauty to the design.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah. Yeah, and like its body makes sense, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was reading about an earlier version too, where the movie, like there was a version of the movie a draft or something where Billy was like wielding a sword through town. Is like him Corey Feldon character stuck with him, and then the Phoebe Kate's characters like the trio and he had the sword and they were just going through town.
Speaker 1: Probably the swords that they set up in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can kind of picture that version too. You know, almost feels like a Stranger Thing's kind of kids with makeshift homemade weapons fighting a supernatural force. See.
Speaker 1: I kind of dig that, and I love to see somebody like you said, like like when you think about like Stranger Things is not an excavation of some prior thing, right, it's a new thing. Inspired by people's collective memories.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's like do that do something new. I would totally watch something like that, right. I remember when Stranger Things was first announced and I saw the poster and it was like the kids on bikes thing, and I remember thinking I was going to be the only one watching it, which is laughable now, but I was like, oh wow, they bullseye for me. Yeah, it just I mean, it proved that it's still evocative formula. You know, everybody wants to watch that. Now. What is that robot again? Is that lost in Space? No, that's from a Forbidden Planet. That's Robbie the Forbidden Planet. Yeah, yeah, not danger danger. Well, so that one must have been inspired by this one. Then it was yeah, yeah, Forbidden Planet. By the way, if you haven't seen it, it's a very good movie. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It stars Leslie Nielsen in a non comedic role, so obviously when you you can't help but be like, oh, that's Frank Grebin. That's hilarious. But despite that, it's it's very it's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We were talking about the design of the Gremlins. We should shout out Chris Wallace, who actually designed them.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: I mean it's remarkable. I mean it's you know, I think I think what he came up with was something that it stood the test of time. You know, I believe as Rick Baker, who did the effects for the second one. Yeah, yeah, and you know with this one, all the Gremlins are the exact same model, except for Stripe. Obviously with the next one, Baker was able to take the foundation of what they established here and do something, you know, little wonk here.
Speaker 2: I think that was the appeal, right If he was just going to be recreating a design with the why I hire Rick Baker, But he got to make all these an array of personalities and different types and looks and like a bat gremlin And I love it. It's in the movie. The first time I saw that, I mean, it was just it's brilliant. It's a brilliant idea and the execution could not be more perfect. Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Well again, and so we're talking about the key and Peel sketch. Yeah, the fact that Joe Dante saw that and was crack camp. He's like, yeah, that's basically what it was. That's that's very funny to me.
Speaker 2: And you have to imagine too, Like, you know, Peel being sort of the horror guy that he is, he probably loves that movie, like it's exactly probably done with affection, you know, yeah, yeah see. And I love this kind of the humor throughout this movie. Like when the Grimlin jumps into the pool here, it's not like he just goes in. They actually show a shot of him doing the cannonball pode and plugging his nose, you know what I mean. That's the cheekiness of it. That's just so fun And I love this image. It's just so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great. You know what's funny. I'm sitting there watching this this specific scene as the swimming pool is bubbling up, and in my head, I'm like, I just know Brian loves this.
Speaker 2: You really have my number, You're so like, but yes, because it's like a y m C a public swimming pool that should be normal and safe, but then seeing it bubbling and these weird strobe lights going on underneath, that's that is my jam man. It's just a.
Speaker 1: Great shot, you know, it's so effectively executed.
Speaker 2: Yep, here we go.
Speaker 1: And here's Jonathan Banks aka Mike Ermin Trott yea from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Yeah, and he's in Beverly Hills Cop the same year, same year man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. This scene is very similar to the scene in The Goonies, also written by Christopher Columbus, when Chunk is calling the police station and they're like oh right, right, right, sure, you know, like not believing him talking about the Fertellies, Which is funny though, because then he's like, oh, you and your stories, you know about like those little creatures that get wet when you would throw water on him, Like he references Gremlins in the.
Speaker 1: Thing about these these goddamn idiot cops here. Yeah, because you tell me once you see Gizmo, isn't that kind of like okay, maybe we should listen to this kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, So this shot I love this. Look at that that motion, it's so like funny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They could never quite figure out how to make Gizmo walk yeah, and make it look good. But as far as the Gremlins, I think I think the way they pulled that off that it's slightly from a distance that's stop motion. It has the problem it looks real enough but also unnerving enough, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something about the staccato, you know, stop motionness of it makes it a little like unnerving, Yeah, which is I guess stop motion is what Joe Dante wanted to do. And other people even proposed having a monkey dressing it up like a gremlin, and I guess they tried it, but the monkey panicked, and which makes speaking of Jordan Peele, you know, makes me think of Nope. I mean that's like a whole plot point. Don't make real animals, especially monkeys, be a part of your TV show, Yeah right, yeah, they might freak out, but this is fun, Like you couldn't do this anymore. Well, I guess you'd pull the cable plug or something, you know, but like messing with TV intent on the roof and someone.
Speaker 1: Somebody pulls your modem router cable.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, right, yeah, you're right. But yeah, that's just something so fun it just doesn't even register with me. But I guess there aren't TV in Tennis anymore on enough of rooftops. But it's still I mean, I remember that, so it's still kind of fun to see these little monsters swinging on it. Yeah, you know, something that I had on top of my house growing up.
Speaker 1: Dick Miller has the most character actor face, right, like, yeah, yeah, he just embodied a type totally. Now this movie based on this movie. Mister Futterman is dead.
Speaker 2: Yes, which always surprises me. You think they're gonna get out and it just destroys the house. But it's pretty dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, this is the thing because because I remember watching the second one and being surprised he was in it, because I was like, I thought he died.
Speaker 2: Well supposedly I read this, I did not hear it, but there's a news report in the movie. Okay, and you can hear them say that Futterman was taken to a hospital.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's at the very end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they probably realized this is pretty intense, and so they decided to keep him alive for them hopefully.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because they're both they're both in the next one.
Speaker 2: Oh they both are okay, yeah, yeah, yeah. This immediately is like, oh, that's the church from Gilmore Girls. What's happened to me?
Speaker 1: I think we need a Gilmore Gremlins, right, yeah, yeah, I think there's a crossover opportunity. And they're both Warner Brothers properties, and it's just that somebody's leaving money on the table. Yeah, have Laura I attacking gremlins using a show as like a hatchet, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, and then like Luke shows up with like some contraption he's made out. It's like I'd watch it, watch it, and then all the banter. Imagine the banter. It'd be so fun, right, But this is kind of funny, how low fi this gag is here? Yeah, gremlin messing with the traffic light and we only hear the car crash. You know, we don't like see anything.
Speaker 1: That is well and and see this is this is why I was thinking about are the critters that uh mister Futterman talked about were they gremlins? Because they're acting like those types of gremlins.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They're not just a malevolent horde. They're mischievous, so those you know, that's why I was like, so we're those real gremlins, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, I don't know, I don't know. Let's get you know, how old he is in this movie? Oh no, how old?
Speaker 1: Twenty three? No, No, he's like thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a different time. I mean, yeah, I mean, I don't mean this in any sort of negative way, but it just feels like people aged a little quicker. I don't know if it has to do with even I mean truly like not making a joke, but like even just like sunscreen or you know, just certain sorts of things that have changed over the years.
Speaker 1: But well, but here's the thing I wonder, like, what do my parent my not my parents, what do my students think of me?
Speaker 2: That's very true, right, that's very true. I mean I can't speak for my own face, but just when I see certain people on TV who are a certain age and then compare them to people of that same age in these sorts of movies, I do sometimes find it a little surprising. I mean Wilford Brimley is the classic example, yes, right, you know where people like Paul Rudd is older than Wilford Brimley was in Cocoon. Gwen Stefani is either the same age or older wow than Wilford Brimley and Cocoon, and that's just still shocking. So this sort of you know, this is kind of a dark little joke. Having the woman on that chair that moves up and down the stairs and she flies out the window, which reminds me that. I guess when they were looking for directors they did look into Tim Burton. Oh interesting, and some of this you can definitely see Tim Burton having fun with this, and it would be interesting to see what parts of his voice he would bring into this. You know, not that I'd prefer it. I do like what we have, but it, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder about that because because I can definitely yeah, I don't know, that's a tough one, right, Like what would a Tim Burton Gremlins look like?
Speaker 2: I'm sure it would have been a lot of fun. And you can imagine. I mean, his movie that everyone was watching in this moment was franken Weenie, you know, kind of a horror comedy kind of thing. So you can see why they were like, wew, that's interesting. Yeah, but he hadn't made a movie yet, so I think they were nervous that this would be too much of an undertaking. I do love that though. The gremlins caroling there and they have like their little little hats and scarves and you know, like little songbooks. Yeah, it's really funny.
Speaker 1: So Paullie Holliday, who plays missus Deegle, she was she was flow the waitress on on Alice.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta be honest. I know that reference, and I hear it referenced a lot.
Speaker 1: But I'm you've heard that.
Speaker 2: I see again, I know what that is. I didn't know that was from that. That's just something I don't really know.
Speaker 1: You know, how old she is here?
Speaker 2: How old are you kidding? I'm not kidding. I'm gonna need them in Zachi. I don't know. I don't know if this is like a certain sort of age where you just suddenly become obsessed with actors' ages and movies and comparing them to where you are. But I never get tired of it. I do kind of love this sort of idea of these two cops who didn't believe the kid's story, being in this car and sort of casually looking at all the horror around them, like, hey, look at that Santa Claus. He's getting attacked by tiny little kishure like slowly dawning on them. It's something kind of cartoony and funny about it, just rolling up their window. You know, I've not seen a lot of behind the scenes footage of this, do you know if that's out there? Like just seeing the puppeteers working all of this. That'd be really interesting.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any. I suspect something got to exist, right, Yeah, but we talked right past when missus Deegle dies, but clearly a little nod to the wicked Witch.
Speaker 2: Very much after Billy's dog. After literally she says I'll get you and your little dog too, I mean she almost does. She says she's going to take the dog right. Yeah, so here, maybe this is why we don't see the car crash earlier. They're like, we get one. Yeah, that's right, that's the budget. Yeah, it's kind of fun. You know, you can see the little I don't know, rig or whatever it is underneath the car that's put in place so it will flip over. Yeah, probably paint out digitally. Kind of fun occasionally, you know. Yeah. But yeah, the Degal thing feels it's funny because they do paint her as an awful person, and she does want to get the dog. But it is sort of jarring to see an old woman yelling in terror being thrown out a window.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Brian, I think I'm okay with it. I'd have been okay with it even without all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Earlier. It doesn't make me wonder I would. I'm not you know, clamoring for the Snyder cut per se of this, but like, I would be curious to see the full blown, you know, two hour plus just all the story threads and things that they had going on.
Speaker 1: See. I want the Missus Deegal prequel where she comes to Kingston falls as young and hopeful, and you know, she has a difficult marriage. You know, her husband goes off to war and die like, no gremlins at all, nothing to do with that gremlins at all.
Speaker 2: And she takes over the real estate business and it's hardened her. She doesn't want to become hard but it hardens her.
Speaker 1: It would be like a secret Gremlin's prequel, Like she'd be called like Beatrice or something, and that's like and then at the very end, they're like, what do you want to do now, Beatrice, She's like, I'm not Beatrice, I'm Degel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, call Meg.
Speaker 1: And then we hear the gremlins, the Jerry Goldsmith Gremlins, Rag come up, you know, the.
Speaker 2: And then like.
Speaker 1: Three quarters of the audience goes, huh yeah. It's sort of like at the end of Split where it revealed it, and I it was like me and three other people in a full theater, going, hey, no one.
Speaker 2: Else got it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like the movie Pearl, right, Like if you happen to know it's a prequel to X right, otherwise you're just like, oh, it's just about this deeply disturbed woman, you know.
Speaker 2: Right right? But you know what, Frankly, I think after this we should get in the car and drive away to Warner Brothers, because I think we have an ip bonanza just ready to go the GCU, the Gremlins Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 1: We're ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I know again, I know they have the animated series and I've heard it's pretty good, and I feel like, I don't know why not. I mean, they're doing it to everything else. I think there's some fun to be had with us. I think that.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Like I don't see any reason not to do something else with the Gremlins.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I am vehement that if Joe Johnson, well, Joe Johnson, hey, if you want to directed there, but Joe Dante has to be involved in some way.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because this is a unique tone. I think it needs to stay with this playful darkness.
Speaker 1: So Okay, so here's my question. We saw them drinking beer. Yes, but I thought the rule was don't get them wet. See because the dad even says don't. He can't even drink water, right, so then it made me wonder what he can drink.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can say, oh, don't, don't get them, don't don't they can't be exposed to water. Okay, well then alcohol is different. But if the rule is don't get the wet, well, I mean they're.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, shouldn't they be shouldn't they be popping off and multiplying if they're drinking beer.
Speaker 2: That's a good point because later when the stripe is at the fountain. Yeah, I mean he it's not like the metamorphosis is done once they become a gremlin. Apparently they can reproduce too, So exactly this cracks me.
Speaker 1: Up, doesn't doesn't make sense for me.
Speaker 2: This is very funny, sort of the loner jazz man, this whole thing right here, this has come on. That's hilarious that the pup so funny. Yeah, so the gremlins have some level of intelligence obviously. Yeah, they're emulating people. So this is not that far removed tonally from what we see the Gremlin's doing in the second one. Yeah, yeah, like this right here. No, you're right, Like they take this and they're like, no, we're doing that.
Speaker 1: This is the whole movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, flash dance is what we're talking about here, this flash dance thing. Yeah, you're totally right. I mean, the seeds of it are in here.
Speaker 1: For sure, Like famously Joe Dante because because Warner Brothers was trying and trying to get something off the ground with with the Gremlin sequel. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, Gremlins Go Hawaiian.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was in the.
Speaker 1: Minutes the Warner Brothers go to was in doubt, you know, yeah, Batman goes Hawaiian.
Speaker 2: I think that was something they can said.
Speaker 1: I wish I had, but but they cut. They circle back around to Dante. He's like, fine, I'll do but you let me do whatever I want. And they're like fine, mm hm, you know, and it's sort of the the desperation of the Condemned. They were like, fine, whatever it takes, you know, and then unfortunately that gambled.
Speaker 2: And pay off. That's what irks me a little bit. I wonder why that was. Was it a little too late?
Speaker 1: I think it's too late. It's six six years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it didn't.
Speaker 1: Feel too late to me. Like that's I I think I've said this before, right, because you had had Ghostbusters two in eighty nine, you had Gremlins two in ninety and I wasn't like, oh finally, I was like, oh great, you know another one.
Speaker 2: Or weirdly, was this just one of those things that just hit at the right time, just kind of a unicorn? Yeah, I don't know. I mean it was no fluke. You know, it made in in nineteen eighty four money, It made one hundred and fifty million dollars. It was the highest grossing Warner Brothers movie until Batman in nineteen eighty nine. So I mean then, see, that's so people were going back again and again. Yeah, it struck a chord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's really interesting to me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You know what's kind of interesting. I was reading you know, Howie Mandel did Gizmo's lines, and a lot of other people, of course did the Gremlins lines. But Frank Welker is a stripe by the way, right right right in Michael Winslow of Police Academy. He's one of the voices, you know, the one gremlin that's like rare, rare ring ring ring, you know. Oh so just the Michael Winslow gremlin, Yeah, wouldn't be amazing. But no, Apparently what they did was when they dubbed it for overseas, Howie Mandel and those actors like localized the dialogue that they were doing. Oh so they did jokes that made sense in Germany, that made sense in Japan. And apparently in this bar scene they dubbed the gremlins to be singing German bar songs, right, and so it's like it just kind of resonated everywhere. They found a really clever way to make everyone sort of connect with it and find the humor in it, you know, even locally. So that's it's pretty genius.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's it's a good way for them to make a little extra coin too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but we're in the bank here, right, Yes, Yeah, I guess there was like a scene I think it was even filmed or maybe it was. It's filmed, yeah, with Judge Errold. Yeah we get like payoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like locked himself in the vault and he's gone a little kuocko bananas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so but again, I mean, you can see why a writer would write that. It makes sense, you set this guy up. But I think they've realized what we're doing here, and it's like, now just keep going with you know the creatures.
Speaker 1: Like I wouldn't have complained if they kept that scene in. I don't think the movie loses anything because you're not like, well, what happened to Jerry? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Think just as as just sort of putting a button on that character, I think it wasn't the worst thing. Yeah, oh no, same, same, And it might have even you know, if Billy had no confidence at the beginning or something, and then through this adventure he has gained confidence and he's able to tell off this guy who believes.
Speaker 2: Him at work, I could see him satisfying.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about Kate's monologue here. Yes, about her her dad dad. Now, let me first say, her dad kind of an idiot? Yes, So, like I think we have to we have to acknowledge at the heart of this horrible tragedy is her dad was an objectively stupid and.
Speaker 2: A grown man. Yeah, thinking it's a good idea to go down a chimney in pretending he's Santa Claus. Bad idea.
Speaker 5: Right, So so so is this whole long thing about how you know they found her dad's body and the you know thing, and that's why.
Speaker 1: She hits Christmas. And the studio was like, no, you have to cut that, and Spielberg was like, h I don't know about that, but he left it to Joe Dante.
Speaker 2: I really admire that. Yes, yeah, Spielberg also didn't like it, but well, it's your movie. Yeah. I mean that's talk about a confident producer, like I picked you for a reason. It's your movie. If you like it. I don't like it. But if you like it, that's your movie, well leave it in.
Speaker 1: It is it is very jarring.
Speaker 2: It is one of the only times I do Yeah. I feel like after the action is kicked in, the movie kind of slows to a stop just so she can tell that story.
Speaker 1: You know what'd be funny is after that she finishes the story and then we go we get that reaction from Billy and after beating he's just like, very quietly, he's like, I'm sorry I called you dude.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, when I say slows to a stop. I think it's in the execution. I think it was throwing me off that she's telling this clearly emotional story that she's finally ready to tell.
Speaker 1: He's like listening exactly, yeah, which is kind of weird. Well, I think no, I'll tell you because he didn't expect it like that. Who has a story like that?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean tooche, But I think characterized, it would have been nice to see him realize like, oh, oh, she's like opening up to me, and then the thing earlier. Now I see why there's this like she's a little haunted and then you know this should be like then where he pulls her close and like they connect or something because he I don't know, I'll tell you what I love though, is the second one specifically, it makes fun of that moment I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if you're gonna watch it, just but it's it's as if Dante himself is like, yeah, I'm gonna like take take the piss out of that, you know that's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, I mean you could imagine that being some sort of like urban legend or something, and probably I'm sure it's like yeah, I'm just saying that dad kind of a Darwin Award. Yeah, yeah, that's a good point. I was reading also because I do remember this. But in the second movie, well, or I should say, with this movie, Leonard Malton, who is the film critic for Entertainment Tonight, didn't like this movie. Yes, right, he called it icky and gross, and so then he makes a cameo in the second movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the gremlins murder him in the second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, criticizing the first movie and then the gremlins kill him, which is what a good sport? Yeah, that's funny, Leonard Malton legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still you got me the very last Leonard Malton film guide.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still have it sitting. I'm looking at it right now. It's on my shelf.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me of a time. It's just a piece of history, right, sort of like a pre internet thing where it was like a movie guide where he had these little mini reviews for ya and that guy reviewed everything. Mm hmm, yep.
Speaker 1: It's just this fat little book that just kept getting fatter every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is so adorable, this execution. So they're in the movie theater now, the Gremlins and Snow white just started playing and they're all like, you know, teasing each other or whatever. But then all of a sudden, they slowly but surely become captivated. And then now they're like bobbing their heads to the high hoe like it's this gets me every single time. It's so funny. That's what's so great too, Right. They're not these like mindless killers, right exactly you were saying earlier. They have personalities, and they have senses of humor as twisted as it is, you know, yeah, I I mean.
Speaker 1: You referred to Goolies earlier, right, which turned into its own little franchise, and that was very clearly inspired by Gremlins, right, and but it you know it it lacked the I mean that was always going to be kind of a niche thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that's.
Speaker 1: What Spielberg understood, is there was an opportunity to make like this is this you have to imagine that this was a gateway movie two more, uh you know, extreme horror for sure, sure for younger audiences, yeah, right, but but it also it plays for people who don't like horror, you know, which I you know, that's that's you and me.
Speaker 2: For the cost of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, this is the the yeah, particular type of horror I kind of delight in, you know. Or it's like I like spooky, you know, like the shining and those sorts of things, but like this where there's a little cheekiness to it. Or yeah, I don't know, like I always I've said a million times, but the something crazy in your backyard and using your understandable resources, you know, the resources that I have in my own tool shed to fight a sinister force.
Speaker 2: I find that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a shame we don't really get movies like this anymore. It feels like, you know, no, I feel like that the room in the marketplace has sort of just been carved out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or everything it can't be it has to fit into four neat boxes. You know. This one feels like a subversion of a box. Yeah, you know, or playing with the notion of a certain box and it's like no, no, no, no, well then you might lose these people or you won't get those people to go to It's like, no, everything kind of has to fit into a box.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Algorithmically, I'm sure that has something to do with it. That you look at it, the algorithm and you're like, well, could an algorithm predict this movie? Probably not. This movie has to exist to prove that it is successful.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of sad, that's fun the animated shadows on the screen, and then there so that they take that gag to the tenth degree, you know, the next one right where it's here, it's just a really I thought it was a bigger deal in this one where they clow through the screen, which would look cool if you're watching this in a movie theater. But then in the second one, it's like, literally the movie stops in the Hulk Hogan yells at them to stop messing.
Speaker 1: With the movie time capsule. No, what you just said about the algorithm. I think that's so that's very illuminating, right, because that's the creative space we're in now where hey, pour one out from Montgomery Ward, first place I ever worked.
Speaker 2: Hey, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think that we're at a place now where creative decisions are algorithmically driven or algorithmically allowed. Yes, and we see how you know, so much of what this movie is comes came down to Steven Spielberg and Joe Dante, between them following their muse in these interesting ways and then wouldn't you know it most unlikely it becomes the fourth highest grossing movie of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who could have predicted that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Not a computer? Yeah you know yeah. I mean the example I heard years ago that I always think about is if it's nineteen seventy seven and you just had Jaws come out, O, what's the movie you think is going to be the biggest hit, you know, something at sea or whale or whatever. But what is it? It's a space opera. Yeah, you know, it's like you an algorithm would not have predicted that. But that's some George Lucas his muse. He was you know, he had a gut feeling about something that people would love this thing, and he was right. But you couldn't have predicted it. But and he instead of making you know, like a shark monster movie, his space movie is still raking in millions and millions today, you know. And so you know, it's you're missing out on potential ip to exploit later on, you know, by not letting people create new things.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's like we were talking about Christopher Nolan earlier, right, and it's like right now we're probably we're probably at the tail end of like the superhero trend, right, sure, and yet no one has been able to do what he did with The Dark Knight, uh huh, because it's the marriage of the concept and the creator.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, yep, it's not only no one could have made that version.
Speaker 1: Of exactly yes, right, yes, And and I think that's just as applicable here, right, I mean, conceptually this is a pretty straightforward horror flick, but Joe Dante has this touch of madness mm hm that makes it sweet and funny and and and the idiosyncratic, you know, with that the Kate's Dead Dad monologue and you know, all this stuff that you said, well, this is this is a product of this storyteller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, and that's what everyone sparks to idio secrecies, like you're saying, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and I think that's why to some extent this movie is still watched to whatever extent it has watched, you know, or still know and still remembered to some degree, you know, yeah, I mean sticking again with the supernatural or in the suburbs or a noble area, it's kind of fun then seeing like a department store being taken over. You know, and using all the resources of a department store, like the chainsaw and the baseball bat.
Speaker 2: That's like, that's a really good little gag there, I think, I think, you know, because it's it's stopping him, but it's also the saw is cutting through, like you have a limited amount of time that bat's gonna work. I always thought that was very clever.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: Apparently they came up with that while they were there just looking at the things that they had.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get a little ET yeah not here. Yeah, funny of course, Warner Brothers, Yep, in more ways than one. I mean, obviously we literally see an ET doll, but that's a gag that's in each right exactly where he's hiding amongst stuffed animals.
Speaker 1: So even here you see Dante's love of the the Looneytons characters. Yeah, and I just I just want to say I missed department stores like this.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, and maybe that's why we well I won't speak for you, but I love Target.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean that's sort of like the vestigial remnant of what we used to have, right like, Yeah, because you go in for you know, one thing, that ship right there scares the pants off me.
Speaker 2: Oh the saw blade, the saw blade. Yeah, it's freaking terrifying. Yeah, oh yeah, I love him on the tric that's great.
Speaker 1: That's a cool effect, right.
Speaker 2: It's very cool effect, and it's very that's this movie. Yeah, I'm afraid of.
Speaker 1: That thing, but it's also kind of adorable seeing it on a tricycle, you know, like going around creating terror. Now, well you no, no, I was just saying about target.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You go in for whatever, you know, the hammer or something, and then you start looking at books, you know, and then you're like, oh, maybe I could buy a hat, you know, right, you know it's records and movies and it's or groceries even, you know, it's it's great target. You know this commentary track brought to you by targeting exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this gets to what you talk about all the time, right where you introduced something supernatural, super normal into into suburbia. And what a better example than this, right, His Billy's in a sporting good section. He's just baseball bat whatever's around. And I love this. But Stripe's got the the crossbow.
Speaker 2: And that's terrifying, you know, h yep, but something you could get at a sporting good store.
Speaker 1: I used to have this radio, by the way, did you really Yeah it was Yeah, I had it all the way until I lived in CHICAO.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's cool man to walk.
Speaker 1: Around with it on my shoulder, you know, walking down the street blasting you know, peopling fight the power. Yeah, oh yeah, of course, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is this is great. I mean even at that that was a cool shot from over the gremlin shoulder as he's racing toward him with the chainsaw. Yeah, but I was I was reading about how much the puppeteers were suffering making this movie. Oh interesting, you know, and I mean it must have been a nightmare. That's adorable. The barbie for our ev well.
Speaker 1: And I love that they set this up earlier because you have Gizmo watching Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the Clark Gable movie, right, Indianapolis Speedway, I think it's called. Yeah, they kind of they do something similar next one where he's watching Rambo. Oh yeah, I do remember that. Yeah, it's good, like, yes, that's cool, dragged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, this does remind me of a certain sort of feeling that I'm going to try to put into words. But like with Spielberger especially makes me think of him where he found that balance. Oh, we talked about it. I think about with Jurassic Park, where he's introducing, if you take away a certain sort of element, it is straight horror. But he does keep the horrifying elements of a dinosaur, you know, chomping a guy off of a toilet, you know, or or a monster with a chainsaw trying to saw a boy. But then he adds in a little cute creature and a Barbie Corvette and there's like whimsy, you know, like it reminds you you can laugh. It reminds you you're having fun, right, you know what I mean? And I feel like Spielberg was the master of that. And in in Jurassic Park, you know where you got the you still got the wise cracks, you got Jeff Goldblum saying the sort of funny lines and the whatever. And it's like he allows you to catch your breath and doesn't just pummel you over the head with intensity. He's like he gives you intensity more than some people might expect, but then he reminds, he keeps reminding you you're having fun, and so you get to exhale and kind of nervous chuckle to yourself, and then you walk out with this really rounded out experience of horror slash fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always thought he was. He was just the master of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a kind of it's it's it's a magic trick, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And not everybody has those proper gut instincts. They go too far this or too far that. But he knows how to ride that line just right.
Speaker 1: What's interesting is is when we look at like the the the canon of Steven Spielberg presents movies in the eighties. So you got this, you get Back to the Future, you got uh, Goonies, Poltergeist. It is interesting how well, let's put poultry get to the side for one second. But like they are, the movies are very distinctly the product of their director. Yeah, Like you're not going to confuse like this, this has Spielbergian influences, but it's clearly a Joe Dante movie, totally same Gouenis, et cetera. And I would say Poultrygeist to me does not feel like a Spielberg movie. It feels like Toby Hooper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, only in camera work, but yeah, right.
Speaker 1: But it's weird how that one really got pegged as no Spielberg goes directed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is weird kind of you know, yeah, totally. But the tone itself, yes, it feels like yeah, Toby Hooper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and the man this is probably the goorious part of this movie is pretty horrifying when you see Stripe sort of decompensating over here. But I my point is, like I think Spielberg was very good at Yeah, that's that's nightmare juice right there. So yeah, yeah, if you're a five year old, that ship, that shit gonna stay with you. Yeah, but Spielberg was very good at being the blocker m hmm and sort of keeping the studio at bay because he was Steven Effing Spielberg and letting the directors that he had brought on do.
Speaker 2: Their thing, right, you know, yeah, totally. Yeah, I mean, yeah, I want to be clear, like, I mean, I'm commenting on that that line that I think Spielberg does so well, you know with the horror. Yeah, sorry, I want to make it clear. I don't think he goes directed this anyway. I mean, this is very much a Joe Dante movie. Yeah, So I was implying that you were saying that. Sorry, yeah, no, no, no, no, yeah. I gotta give Dante his props on this. This is clearly a Joe Dante movie, I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's sort of that was the genius of Steven Spielberg during this era was he found the right people to do these things.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, his Zamechass and yeah, yeah, his Dante's.
Speaker 1: And that what a great effect when you see the the skeleton just kind of just deflate. What a cool practical effect, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, you know, like the bubbling there as it's slowly dying. That's great. And this is just and it's so funny too, because now you can imagine and I'm sure it could be fun but you could do a lot more. You can make a much bigger climax. But there's something so visceral about don't let that thing get near the fountain, right, and then it does? Oh no, you know, and so then what do you do? You just all they do is they get a shaft of light on it. But it's the way that it's executed at the last second, and it's so thrilling and seeing, you know, give mo in his car fling up and pull the thing. You know, it doesn't have to be a huge set piece, right, you know, in scope, it's just the tension is perfectly thrilling enough. Yeah, yeah, I just missed it. I guess there's that newscast but maybe.
Speaker 1: There Yeah, no mention of the fetterman's.
Speaker 2: Oh really okay, I had read that somewhere, so I can't back that up.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's it's not explicitly stated that they are dead in the film, That's true. We just see the the you know, the snowplow coming at them, and then it cuts to outside, so there's.
Speaker 2: Room, you know, you know, we don't see him impaled or anything, so right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, all right, now I want to see because he's still talking about Oh yeah, he's still but yeah, so this shop keeper let himself in to their home.
Speaker 2: Well it's like how did he know where they lived? Too? That's a good That is a great point because even the boy wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: He has mysterious.
Speaker 2: Chinese powers, you know, like mister Mayagi's mysterious Japanese powers. There you go where he can clap his hands. Yeah, yeah, but this this is a nice ending. You know, I do kind of like that. It's you can imagine a version where you're like sad, or you can a test audience like, well, I don't want Billy and Gizmo to be separated, but this feels right. It's like, you can't. I told you the rules. You prove you're not responsible. So it feels almost like a Twilight Zone episode where there's a lesson at the end. You're not ready for something like this, so we have to take it away from you.
Speaker 1: You know, it'd be funny if he comes in and suddenly he's like, you white people ruin everything, and it's like it goes in this really weird racial dimension at the end.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, they took a turn, you know. Yeah, yeah, oh I'm really really sorry.
Speaker 1: First you drop a bomb on Hiroshima, you know, like like what this the little the thing that Gizmo says at the end. Yeah, it's really cutest thing ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is nice. So you do even if he is being taken away, you know, they truly bonded. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Bye Billy. Oh so. Quentin Tarantino talked about the time he met Joe Dante. Oh okay, he was like seventeen years old, and he was just writing to movie directors because of course Quentin Tentertaino did.
Speaker 2: That right totally, and.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, I'm writing a book about movie directors. And so Joe Dante invited him to visit while they were making Gremlins.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, So young Tarantino was on this set.
Speaker 1: I think this was this is during post okay, and so they were they were showing him. They were showing Dante the the effects for the sequence coming up where where Key Luke is walking away and it's a matt you know, it's a processed shot, right, and he's like, oh, yeah, come come watch it, you know. And Tarantino talked about how you know, they're watching the scene where where the grandfather's walking away, and the effects people are like, oh, if you want, we can add like a shot, like we can add like Santa and his reindeer to like the skyline kind of thing, you know. And Joe Dante was like, don't tell me stuff like that, because I might just think it's a good idea. And and I like that story, like right here you would see like Santa that you know. Yeah, And I like that story because it to me, it puts in context first of all, like Tarantino just happens to be there when that's like quite remarkable, right yeah, yeah, but it contextualizes his sense of whimsy totally. Yeah, right, Like he viewed this as like a fairy tale, you know, and it's and the wrap around of white accidents narration makes this whole thing like did it even really happen? Maybe it's just a tall tale that quite accident told you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, especially his folksy demeanor or delivery, you know, it just sort of it does se Yeah, it sound like a like a neighborhood legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, just like thing about the man who tried to climb down the chimney.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, exactly. Yeah, you know that's really funny though, you're you're totally right. I love that about Joe Dante.
Speaker 1: Like Peter Cullen too, he was one of the gremlins. Wow, Megatron and Optimus Prime, we're both in this.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. They are great though. I like that they don't necessarily speak. They just kind of repeat words like one or two words.
Speaker 1: It feels well, I love yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Sean always does that.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Gremlins, Brian, Yeah, what a what a fun, quaint little classic.
Speaker 2: You know it really is.
Speaker 1: This does not get talked about, you know, right around this time of year, events arguing over the proper Christmas action movie or whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. You know, you got your diehards and your your lethal weapons. Nobody talks about Gremlins. Well, and that's that's why we did it. We you know, we've got Christmas upon us, the holiday season, and we thought this would be a fun sort of holiday themed movie to put out as our little gift to you.
Speaker 1: And it's a little PSA. Don't try to climb down the chimney dressed as Santa.
Speaker 2: It's not worth it, It's right, please.
Speaker 1: It's It's not worth traumatizing your kids.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: But hey, I hope what this also means that we'll get to come back and at some point and talk through the second one.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, because, like I said, I don't remember it very well, and now that I really understand what it is, I think I will be on its wavelength. Yeah, more so than probably when I first saw it.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's a conversation I look forward to having at some point. Yeah. Uh, and we mentioned again, we mentioned before about Jerry Goldsmith. But but you know, they have a like the complete score, it's available on Apple Music, and so it is fantastic. It's just a really it's a very good score. It's one of Goldsmith's best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And I.
Speaker 1: Think the Gremlins, you know, the Gremlins rag that theme. It's it is, at least for me. It's it's very very distinctive and it's very emblematic of that era for me, you know, absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know, and now that I'm looking at the credits and the you know, the rights and the songs and whatever, we didn't really comment on how crazy it is that snow White is in this movie. Yeah, right, they had to.
Speaker 1: That's a that they got permission for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That feels also like a Spielberg Ye height of his Powers sort of thing, you know, because if you're making goolies and you want them to watch snow White, you can bet that Disney's not going to give that to them.
Speaker 1: You know, that's good.
Speaker 2: But here you can get the exact precise gag that you want, you know, watching them sing along with the Seven Dwarves. Because Spielberg says naked, So.
Speaker 1: That's and and when when when back then when he said it, it happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how we got Roger Rabbit. Just a couple of years later, and four years.
Speaker 1: Later I forgot about Roger Rabbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, where they mix the Warner Brothers and Disney characters, because no one else could have pulled that off.
Speaker 1: See Roger Rabbit. That's a good one, right, like, like that's that is. Obviously there is a Spielberg influence, but it is a mechus through and.
Speaker 2: Through totally, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but hey, let us know your thoughts on gremins. You can email us at Movie Film Podcasts at gmail dot com. You know, also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast. If you like what we're doing, please go to Apple Music and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps.
Speaker 2: We also have a Patreon briant that's right at patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast. You can find every commentary we've ever done without any ads in every episode of the regular show, and commentary we'll do in the future, absolutely ad free for only five dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Plus occasional special episodes that are Patreon only.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, when we were recording this, the Superman James Gunn trailer just dropped this past week, and we thought, well, we were going to talk about it anyway, just as friends. Why not make like an extra little recording and have that be a bonus feature available exclusively for Patreon subscribers. So I we enjoy doing that, and I can definitely see us doing more things like that in the future.
Speaker 1: I would expect more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As for me, if you're looking for you online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That's the Akis Corner. Brian's also got his stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures are available on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: There we go with that. On behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachi.
Speaker 2: You sound this has been our movie from a commentary track for Gremlins.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 2: Thanks folks,