Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Zendaia and Tom Holland are engaged.
Speaker 2: Yay.
Speaker 1: Tmzero reports that the Spider Man star got down on one knee between Christmas and New Year's at one of Zendaiah's family homes. It was a romantic, intimate and small proposal between just the couple.
Speaker 2: Good for them. Is that why he's quitting acting?
Speaker 1: She was appearing at the Golden Globe sporting a ring matching a Bulgary necklace. Okay, could feed a country several states for president and Vice President of the United.
Speaker 3: States, that is live in the House Chamber right now, Vice President Harris presiding over this joint session of Congress to certify the November election. Feels like we're going to have to do this every four years from now on. This used to be something that no one covered ever, but now it's going to be a thing.
Speaker 1: President Biden will be in New Orleans today to meet with family members of the victims of that Bourbon Street attack, to which I always say, after all of these things, who's waiting for that? Like you're in the shock, in the horror and the complete numbness that comes with a family member getting mowed down by a terrorist and a celebration who's asking for whoever the president is, to come into the room and give you a pat on the back.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would have no stomach for that. God, God for a bid.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is you would It's not like you're forced to go to that.
Speaker 1: That's true, you know, a good point.
Speaker 2: But I agree. I mean, I think there is a certain amount of I don't want to I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to politicize. It's my horror. Yeah, it's already the worst time in the film. And as Stranger president or not, isn't it going to make it better? I mean, the one thing I would say is that he's We've said this many times during his president this is a guy who's seen tragedy in his life. Yeah, I mean, and maybe there's a shared sense of pain.
Speaker 1: That's a good I guess that's a good way.
Speaker 3: Canada's Prime minister is going to step down. He announced today Justin Trudeau did that he's going to step down as leader of the Liberal Party. He will stay in office as Prime Minister until a new leader is elected selected well.
Speaker 1: While other parts of the country are Jack Nicholson at the end of the shining, we are not. We have a major Santa Ana wind event that will be making its way into our area this week for extreme fire conditions. A red flag warning is back starting at ten am Tomorrow through six pm Thursday. They say that the gusts could reach eighty miles an hour and we'll get to it, but we are in the midst of a drought yet again, so they're worried about down trees, power outages, a lot of fuel, a lot of just dry conditions with the winter. You know that this is a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 3: And as strong as the sayas have been in the last couple of months, they said that this is likely going to be the strongest wind event that we have seen through the winter.
Speaker 1: Where is it going to be the biggest problem. It's that two to ten corridor from Silmar to AZUSA.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: It's right right there.
Speaker 2: As of right now.
Speaker 3: So cal Edison says they don't have any public safety power shut off plans, but obviously they do have shut offs that are being considered so about seventy thousand people in La County, maybe seventy seventy two thousand in Ventura County. The potential for public safety power shutoffs, which is where they de energize those lines because there's an expectation that they're going to be knocked down.
Speaker 2: We don't want them starting any fires.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, AI has spotted a wildfire or did spot a wildfire. Last month the first time the Orange County Fire Authority received an alert from an a from artificial intelligence cameras about a wildfire without getting an emergency call from a human being.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should have a positive AI desk since all the news is negative. Nah Naes's crazy.
Speaker 3: But the University of California, San Diego's alert California Camera Network. If you have not checked that out, it's pretty it's pretty stunning the number of cameras that are available in this network. Now they have hooked up artificial intellig I don't know how it works. They've hooked up artificial intelligence to it so that in the middle of the night, for example, in this case, it was December fourth, about two in the morning, several cameras located around southern California. They found a vegetation fire in black Star Canyon, which is just east of Irvine Lake, and this fire solely detected by these cameras monitoring the high risk areas around the county. Said the location's not heavily trafficked at night, which likely contributed to the fact that zero reports of smoke or fire came in from any human being. This was only an anomaly that was found by the AI camera and then they alerted the OC Fire Authority.
Speaker 1: Because they alerted the OC Fire Authority so quickly, they were able to contain the fire to less than a quarter of an acre, no injuries, evacuations, or homes burned. This was an area that could have really taken off.
Speaker 3: There was a map that was released just last week fifty nine point one percent of our state impacted by drought conditions as far north as Lassen County, stretching down into the Bay Area, most of the Central Valley, and obviously in southern California.
Speaker 1: I feel like drought news is like government shut down news, where everybody just shuts down their hearing when they hear drought or government shut down.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, it ain't getting any better.
Speaker 1: Right But until people are told you can't water your lawn or wash your car, not like anyone washes their cars anymore.
Speaker 2: But you just remembered. I'm supposed to turn off my sprinklers.
Speaker 1: Did you forget to turn them off? Are they autumnate? Can you turn them off from your phone?
Speaker 2: I can't?
Speaker 1: You cannot?
Speaker 2: What do you no? Can't?
Speaker 3: So like when the WiFi goes down, it's my WiFi. Your WiFi doesn't work. Your sprinklers are supposed to be turned off.
Speaker 1: I don't sound like that.
Speaker 3: My son said that to me last night too. I don't sound like that, Dad.
Speaker 1: He doesn't sound like that. You do this voice in my head, he sounds like that. Well, it's funny because you use the same voice for your son and your daughter.
Speaker 3: That's true, which is fun Some of the other stories, obviously that we're following right now, they are continuing to count the votes in Congress. Vice President Harris is overseeing the count of the Electoral College to certify the results of the election.
Speaker 2: Your president and jd.
Speaker 4: Vance in the state of Ohio received ten votes for vice president.
Speaker 3: And they're just going through the old the old standby. This is how they do it. This is sort of the last step to certify the election before inauguration two weeks from today.
Speaker 2: So she doesn't look too upset. No, she's fine.
Speaker 1: Jenny'll do that to you.
Speaker 2: You think that's what we's in that glass?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Okay. So this was a story out of the self driving car folder. The last we heard about Waimo, there was a guy downtown LA who jacked one or tried to jack Weimo. Was able to make his way into the driver side of the way MOO before officers pulled him out. Well, now we've got another antecdote about Waimo gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Guy named Mike John's La tech entrepreneur. That'd be a nice way to go about your day having the title of tech entrepreneur. About three weeks ago, posts a video of his call to customer service representatives at Waimo because he is stuck in the driverless taxi in a parking lot near Lax and he wanted to go to Lax.
Speaker 1: He got near it, and he notices that the car keeps turning in circles over and over and over again. He's worried about missing his flight, but also worried about his nausea. He's like, I got a flight to catch. Why is this thing going in a circle. I'm getting dizzy the customer, he said, is somebody playing a joke on me? He says, I feel like I'm in the movies? Has this thing been hacked?
Speaker 3: A customer service representative tells him to open his Waimo app and that she was going to try to pull the car over but was struggling with getting this thing to stop. He was returning home from Scottsdale and that he nearly missed his flight. On his post, he said Weaimo had not followed up with him after the experience, and they said you'd think by now that they might email or text or call for a follow up. Waimo spokesperson said the incident occurred back in mid December and was the writer was delayed by roughly five minutes.
Speaker 2: I don't care, but then was driven to his destination.
Speaker 1: I don't care. That's that's irrelevant to me. The fact that you were circling for five minutes does make you dizzy and makes you freak out that you're going to be stuck in this hell loop for hours. You don't know how long it's going to last. It's that toll of human anxiety or trauma or what have you. Maybe not trauma, but you know what I mean of. It's not just oh, it was no big deal. What happens the next time when it doesn't circle for five minutes, it circles for.
Speaker 2: An hour, or it drives off the pier.
Speaker 1: It drives off the pier, I mean, better scenario.
Speaker 3: I don't like the idea of this. There's nothing in it for me. I know people who have used them before, and they you know, they're on the cutting edge, and they love the technology and this and that.
Speaker 1: As much as I. When I start to seriously think about ubers and getting into the car with a stranger who I don't know what their morning looked like. Did it look like fentanyl and meth pipes? I don't know, I'm getting in the car with them. There's no there's no real vetting process. It's not like you get a drug test every time you get it into a an uber vehicle that you're using, So I don't know what that is. And tho these people, you don't know who these people are, but you get in their vehicles. I still would rather get into a vehicle with a person and the off chance that they spent their morning on meth than an automated.
Speaker 3: Vehicle, right, well, and part of it you might be able.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: The belief is that either A you'd be able to intervene or be you would start to see some of the telltale signs that your driver was on meth. A that's true, and that you would be able to make a decision one way or the other, like, eh, you know what, you could just let I'm you know what, I'm going to change my destination. It's fifty feet that way, So now I'm good. Thank you for your time, have a great Appea.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. Humans put up red flags, yeah, machines do not. Just you have no idea.
Speaker 3: You know, left turn after left turn after left turn is probably the only red flag you're going to get.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could open up the door of that uber and a pile of smoke comes out and it smells a little METHI I don't know what that is, but I don't know. Tell you can tell when you know, and maybe there's you know, there's signs that guy's been living in there.
Speaker 3: You don't get that with the machine, he John says, Mike, I should say. Says that he loves technology, hence the tech entrepreneur, and he would love it if something like way Moo were to succeed, but this is not the way to go about doing it. The robotox taxis launched in la just a couple of months ago, so that's the problem. You ever heard the term ghost in the shell? No, it's kind of a reference to a potential glitch in the system. And there was a I think it was a Japanese anime called Ghost in the Shell. There's a bunch of different references too. I think there's an actual live action movie about it too. But it's all about this kind of something exists in the computer that will eventually come back to haunt us.
Speaker 2: And he was saying that maybe this is right.
Speaker 1: Right, that sounds very Westworld.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am not going to get into any West World cabin.
Speaker 1: You fell deep into the West World hole when that hole was exposed.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's an interesting choice of words.
Speaker 1: The most memorable moments, the biggest moments of the night that you missed on the Golden Globes, the best outfits, the worst, the snubs. We have all of that news coming up. In fact, let's get to your Jeopardy question, so we can get that out of the way. How about that? Oh, this is an easy one because I know how you love kids stuff, which is the category for two hundred dollars this kid's stuff. As a grown man, how would you fall for that? I don't know. Here's the answer. The Minions grew into a pop culture phenomenon after appearing in this twenty ten animated.
Speaker 2: Film, Uh, what is Despicable Me? Yes, sir?
Speaker 3: Last Night, the eighty second Annual Golden Globes, hosted by Nicki Glazer.
Speaker 1: I do want to remind you.
Speaker 2: If you do.
Speaker 5: Lose tonight, please just keep in mind that the point of making art is not to win an award.
Speaker 1: The point of.
Speaker 5: Making art is the start of tequila brand so popular that you never have to make art again.
Speaker 3: Ten minute opening monologue, and she did pretty good. She seemed genuinely happy to be there. This is very funny. She did not get into the roast thing that she's been known for, at least most recently, in a lot of well.
Speaker 1: That can get very very dirty, and this is the Golden Globe, so you got to kind of dance on the edges.
Speaker 3: She did say she had a couple of sex jokes, but one of them was like, she's saying hello to Glenn Powell and thanking him for all the work showing up in Twister and these other movies.
Speaker 1: You've spent in everything, including the dreams that she has with her boyfriends. Right, and then she said, thanks for the assist I'll see you later tonight.
Speaker 3: It's very funny, all right, watching all all of this take place in the world of Hollywood. Is our friend Jason Nathanson, the entertainment reporter. What's going on? Jane, Tell what's going on? And remind me also, never to go to Shanon's house to eat. If that's how she's cleaning her cutting boards.
Speaker 1: That was at the Delisca nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but those habits continue on. I have a feeling.
Speaker 1: No, No, those weren't. That wasn't how I was cleaning the cutting boards.
Speaker 2: You said you just wiped it down with That was a joke with a rat.
Speaker 1: There was a joke this thing called.
Speaker 4: There's truth in jokes, Shannon, little bet don't know that little bit exactly, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So, Golden Globes, there are moments people can't stop talking about appearances. People can't stop talking about it about tell us what you what stood out to.
Speaker 4: You really can't stop talking about Yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: Don't come in here with a weak stream. You gotta have a strong You're not the Prime Minister of Canada. We need some high tea here. I'm also I'm not gonna, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: You know, give the kudos to the show where it doesn't deserve it, because it was fine.
Speaker 2: Nicky Glazer was fine. I think she was good.
Speaker 4: I've seen her be much better though, and the roast, you know, I think she The problem is she has to live up to that bar, and she set the bar so up.
Speaker 1: Like I just said, though she can't do what she does at the roast on the Golden Globes, Absolutely.
Speaker 4: She can, because we've seen Ricky Gervais do it, and we've seen Tina fan Amy Poehler do it, and they're they're the two standards by which you measure, especially the Golden Globes.
Speaker 2: Because the Golden Globes you can go a little further.
Speaker 3: And what this wasn't even on broadcast television was it was on CBS, so it was okay.
Speaker 1: But if I'm Nicky Glazier, and everyone knows I can be dirty as hell. I want to use the Golden Globes to show that I can be funny and open myself up to other opportunities in the funny, not dirty, realm interesting.
Speaker 2: I guess. I.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I've seen her be better her comedy special last year. If you want to see the peak Nicky Glazer, it's the Roast and it's her comedy special.
Speaker 2: Someday I'll die on I don't know where that's from. HBO. Max.
Speaker 4: I think is so good and so dark because she's really really good, and I think last night she was pulling punches because maybe I don't know, she wants more work or whatever, but I've seen her be better. But she did have some really good jokes. One of the bits that I liked later on in the show was when she came back and they did the scoreboard of how many people had been thanked who've been thanked, and you know, like moms were in the lead and the cast and crews in the lead.
Speaker 2: God had zero, but Mario Lopez had won.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was good. So there are some good moments there from her, for sure, But I mean you know, kind of the takeaway from the actual show itself. Speech wise, I think to me, More's speech was probably the best she won for lead role in the substance.
Speaker 2: Let me play a little bit of any More speech.
Speaker 6: Just know you will never be enough, but you can know the value of your worth if you just put.
Speaker 2: Down the measuring stick.
Speaker 6: And so today I celebrate this as a marker of my wholeness and of the love that is driving me, and for the gift of doing something I love.
Speaker 1: She had talked about how earlier in her career she was told by a director that she was a popcorn movie actress, and that's kind of how she went through her life thinking that that was all that she was.
Speaker 4: She was going to make money, her films were going to make money, but she didn't deserve awards, basically, and this is the first time she'd ever want anything, which I mean, it's just it's pretty amazing because she's been in some great movies and had a great career and at this age to kind of get that recognition, I think it's fantastic. There wasn't a whole lot of politics in the night, which I think a lot of people probably enjoyed after you know, years of having politics being thrust into these shows, especially right after an election and right as we're coming up to a new term, to see that there that wasn't I mean, there was a little bit of talk of you know, immigration generally and dark times generally, but overall.
Speaker 2: You know, Trump's name wasn't mentioned once.
Speaker 4: So I think a lot of people probably enjoyed that that they can finally watch award shows again and not be preached to.
Speaker 3: Well, outside of Demi Moore, we'll get into some of the other specifics.
Speaker 2: Can you hang on for another segment?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, speaking of Demi Moore, I mean she's been a wonderful actress in several things, you know, you think about like g I Jane, if these walls could talk. She was fantastic in that Capoti versus the Swans, excellent in that the juror Few good Men. I mean, she's been in not just popcorn movies. She's had some great roles absolutely, and great arms.
Speaker 2: Okay that we're not objectifying women based on the come on, are you.
Speaker 3: Okay? I'll stick to boobs, good idea, feel better. Jason Nathanson is joyous entertainment reporter. We're talking about the golden globes from the last left good, thank.
Speaker 1: You well, appreciate that. I'll tell you all you need to know.
Speaker 4: By the way, Trump, he won the election, also won a Golden Globe this morning. Strangely, they gave him a golden globe for what as well, just you know, for being good. I think he would want a golden Globe more than the presidency. He he really wants to be, you know, part of that Hollywood thing, and I think he would.
Speaker 2: He would be so thrilled. I'm not sure about that. Oh he was. He's he was dying.
Speaker 3: I mean your point of what they said and didn't say last night. You know that politics wasn't a big deal. It's he would love to have the attention exactly.
Speaker 1: He they're ignoring him on purpose, and it's driving him crazy.
Speaker 2: He loves he loves the attention.
Speaker 4: A couple of times that I've seen them where he'd come to Hollywood to do press conferences for The Apprentice or things like that. He wants to be, you know, he wants everybody to know he's got the best gratings and you know, everybody's watching the show and stuff. So to get an award from Hollywood. I think he'd love it, he'd eat it up. Who was the big winner last night?
Speaker 3: I mean, was there one show that really stood out as getting all of the Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah. So on the movie side, Amelia Perez, which is a movie. It's on Netflix right now, it's streaming. It had the most nominations. It had the most wins, including Best Musical or Comedy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: This is a And this is the case with a lot of the movies. These are not mainstream movies that most people are gonna watch. They're they're very difficult. The barrier to entry is very high. Emilia Perez is a It's a story of Zoey Sadana plays a lawyer who gets in with a drug cartel and has to make some, you know, questionable decisions.
Speaker 2: It's a musical though.
Speaker 4: At the same time, which I think is you know a lot of people are gonna hear that and they're like, I'm out. It's it's also mostly in Spanish.
Speaker 2: It's good, but it's also polarizing.
Speaker 4: It's one of those movies that I think some people are either gonna love or they're gonna hate.
Speaker 2: And the Golden Globes voters really liked it. The Golden Globes.
Speaker 4: The body of the Golden Globes voters is a more international voting audience anyway, so they'd be drawn to something like that.
Speaker 2: Typically.
Speaker 4: The Brutalist which I think is also going to do very well when we get the Oscar nominations in a couple of weeks, and has a good shot right now, as you know, we're trying to see what's going to do well come Oscar time. The Brutalists, which stars Adrian Brody, and the story of an immigrant and a Hungarian immigrant who comes to the US right during World War Two. He's Jewish, his family's Jewish, they escape concentration camps. He's an architect and he comes here and he can't really apply his trade until he's given the opportunity to.
Speaker 2: This movie is three and.
Speaker 4: A half hours long. There is a fifteen minute intermission if you go to see it in the theater.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, this is not again. This is not movies, and it's beautifully done.
Speaker 4: It's a fantastic movie, but it's not something I can imagine most people watching. I watched it at home and over, you know, I watched most of it at night, and then the next morning got up and watched the final hour or so.
Speaker 1: Isn't that what we say about most of these award winners critically acclaimed films is they're not the popcorn movies. To use Demi Moore's language, that we flock to theaters to go see.
Speaker 4: It used to be no, I mean, it used to be the case where people would go see a lot of these things and we had a more collective experience where we were all kind of consuming the same culture. That has changed dramatically with the advent of streaming and everything competing for people's time. And you know, the less the influence of the award shows on most regular people. They don't care. They're not bothering to see most of these. So, you know, the Brutalist, which which won for Best Drama, which is the big one, right, Nickel Boy September fifth things people are probably you're not seeing or haven't seen.
Speaker 2: There's a couple that.
Speaker 4: Were nominated that were big. Wicked was nominated for Best Picture of Musical or Comedy. That's the big one and that'll probably get Oscar nominations.
Speaker 2: What else? Dune Part two got some nominations.
Speaker 4: But those movies, the bigger movies, didn't get wins last night. These ones that are getting wins and we'll get more nominations are not movies most people are going to see.
Speaker 3: Your point about, you know, these are at least an indicator maybe of which ones would get Oscar nominations. Is it that we wait until the Golden globes come out and then people get to see and then make their decisions or it's just this is sort of the winds the wind vein perhaps of the way people's attitudes are.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's much like a presidential campaign or any kind of election or something like that, where there is momentum and there's timing and you got to strike at the right time and get hot and things like that. So right now, Oscar nomination voting opens next Sunday night, this coming Sunday night, right and you have the Critics' Choice Awards this coming Sunday as well, And so these films that are getting momentum put them at top of mind for people who are starting to do that voting. And then the voting for Oscar nominations I think ends. I think we get the nominations on the seventeenth, so somewhere around there. So it's all you want to be a part of the conversation right now. You want to be popping right now. So that's why it's tough for a film like Challengers, the Zendea film, which was nominated last night and won for Best Score, which I loved. I thought it was a fantastic film. It's a lot of fun, it's stylish, it's cool.
Speaker 2: It came out in March of last year, so that's really.
Speaker 4: Early to kind of get into that, you know, to get a lot of momentum going right now. So a lot of it is about timing. That said, everything ever where all at once. A couple of years ago, which won the Oscar that came out also early in that year.
Speaker 2: I think it was maybe in March and it ended up winning, So you know, it's.
Speaker 1: All about the publicity machine too. In Hollywood, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of it is about that, so you know. And then also I think something like Demi Moore's win last night, a lot of people really noticing her for the Substance, which is another A Bnker's movie which most people are not going to see. It's very polarizing, but that gives her a little more high profile attention for that role. And I think that's gonna you know, as the Oscar voters are going to put.
Speaker 2: Their nominations in, I think that's going to be on their mind.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm glad you brought up a Zendeia because how exciting is it? These are two very likable people in Hollywood, Tom Holland and Zendeia announcing their engagement today.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just love love.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like adjacent.
Speaker 2: No, I do.
Speaker 1: Actually I expected some excitement from you like this one.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Sure, there are two people that are likable in Hollywood that are together.
Speaker 4: That's okay, But like I don't you know, I'd been excited if they were my friends.
Speaker 2: Look, I have interviewed both of them in the past.
Speaker 4: Zendaea, who was when she was on Dancing with the Stars and I was covering Dancing with the Stars every week. I would talk to her every week. One of the nicest people in the.
Speaker 1: World, Tom Holland.
Speaker 4: Tom Holland also one of the nicest guys. So I'm I'm I'm very happy when two nice people. But you know, also we've seen, especially when young people in Hollywood get married, it's not usually.
Speaker 1: I guess he doesn't love love I do love love, but I am also a realist and we've seen you know.
Speaker 4: I wish only the best for them, but you know, for every one of them, there's a j Lo and a Ben Affleck.
Speaker 1: I hope that you find some hope in the new year.
Speaker 4: Thank you, welcome, I guess thank you as always, great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: Jason Nathanson, entertainment reporter. There.
Speaker 1: Okay, did Kamala Harris show any signs of I hate this? S Why am I here? This sucks? Where's my bloody Mary? When she was announcing that Donald Trump will be the next president of the United States.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, Doug m Hoff may have a black eye today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, She's going to bring this one home.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP