Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to another episode of the Ruby Rogues podcast. This week, on our panel, we have a Yushwatya.
Speaker 2: Hello. Hello.
Speaker 1: I'm Charles Maxwood from Top End Devs. Man, it feels like it's been a while since we've recorded one of these dozen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a few months. Yeah, at times, just been flying for me. So it's all gone back quite quickly. But it's nice to be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. For those of you who are listening and going, didn't you release one like last week or the week before, Well, there were a few things that happened. I'm just going to fill you all in. I don't know if you need all the insight baseball, but it's interesting, and then I'll introduce our guests. I wound up getting a job at Price Picks at the end of March. I also hired my daughter to be putting the episodes out and she didn't and so I fired her. I had to fire my own kid, and so Jib who's our editor, took over posting the shows, and so he went and found all the ones that hadn't been posted and started posting him again. So the gap that you all, as listeners saw was probably back in like April. Right, there was like a month in March or April that you didn't see episodes. So you're getting episodes that we recorded a month or two or three ago, and now we're kind of back at it and recording episodes again. So anyway, your gap is different from ours. So but it feels so good to just get back and talk about the stuff we love. And we've got two terrific guys who were here who are working on a very interesting project. We have Adrianne Poli and Mark and Marco Roth.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and yeah, I think I'm the only one of you guys that's not in Europe, so thanks for coming in the evening or afternoon whenever it is there. Uh yeah, So I reached out because I ran across a really interesting project. It's it's Ruby video or Ruby videos dot dev, which one is it.
Speaker 4: It started as a Ruby video and uh, like two months ago we decided to rebrand it for a bigger picture on the under the Ruby events dot org. The project has more ambitions, but we can dive a bit more into the details and that's later on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes sense. So when you started, I'm kind of curious what what was the vision I was?
Speaker 4: It was several things occurred at the same time. First, I visited a similar project in the Python world that is called the t Video or something like this, which is a website that indexes something like fifteen thousand Ruby Python videos of conference and so on. And I was looking at something similar in the Ruby industry and I couldn't find anything. Of course, you can always go to YouTube or Google search and search for whatever things you need, but I couldn't find a single place where you could search for a specific topics and get all the conference on that particular topic in the Ruby industry. So at that time, I also I was interested to test several things that were coming out that there was come out. There was this Esclie trends, and I wanted to build something. So I started to build a small website that started with I think eight hundred videos, mostly rails cones, Ruby coones and so on. That was the proof of concept, the first proof of concept so largely inspired by a Byton video, and it had a bit of traction at the beginning. When it was announced. Of course, it was open source, and very quickly Marco joined the venture and came Marco was also maintaining Ruby Conference. If you want to add more details on this, maybe Marco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was maintaining Ruby Conferences dot org, which used to be this simple website where you can add o where you can see all the confidences are happening in the Ruby world.
Speaker 1: I use all the time. By the way, it's like what's coming up and where can I submit calls for proposals and stuff? So yeah, thanks for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's been like going for a long time. It's I have been just trying to bring in the up to date and kind of kept adding these new events that I saw coming on. But then I realized that they also had like video links to YouTube playlists and all these other like topics they had on the website. And then we decided to add meetups, and then we were like, yeah, let's maybe redesign this webpage because it does look dated in a way, so you wanted to kind of add more features to it. But it kept kind of like his ideas kept growing and they couldn't really find a good way to make it happen on this checker website. And at the same time, then Ruby video came around and it was like, Oh, actually, this is very much like what I kind of hadn't visioned for Ruby Conviences to be. That's why I decided to kind of join forces with oddly On to kind of make this one website or kind of contribute to Ruby Video to make this the thing that I wanted Ruby Confidence to be. And that's kind of what ties into this rebranded bed a few months ago, where you want to bring these two websites together as one. This is going to be Ruby events dot org and that's in the future where you will find all the upcoming events, previous events, and even if you're at the event at the moment, you can see the schedule and all of that. So it's kind of just a deep place to go for anything Ruby events related.
Speaker 1: Nice. I usually you have questions because I've got a ton and I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I have a ton of why didn't you continue, I'll jump in as.
Speaker 1: And when okay, sounds good. So I'm kind of curious. So you decide you want this website, and I think the closest thing we've had in the past was Confree's used to host all the videos from all the conferences that they recorded. But I went and looked, and I and find them anymore. And I don't know, I don't know what the story is there, if I'm just not doing the right Google search or whatever. But anyway, so you start putting the site together and I mean, how are you finding the videos? We're just embedding them from YouTube? And were there any challenges that you're into kind of pulling this together?
Speaker 4: Yeah? For now, we don't host any videos, so we just index them. So we mostly find them on YouTube because that's where mostly events are hosting their videos. A few do host them by themselves, like Brighton. I think Brighton is an example for something quite recent, but mostly it's YouTube videos, so we do get the meta data from YouTube. There is there has been a very big work and Marco contributed a lot on this to build all of those yanal file that will describe all the meta data for all the talks, all the events with both their links and so on, with the correct speakers, the correct description. Lots of cleaning of the meta data has been done.
Speaker 1: So do you import it and then clean it up by hand or do you go find the videos that you want and then just capture all that information somehow? Or how does that work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we have a few what we call metadata parsers, and some events have the same structure in the title of how they arrange their titles, so we can kind of do some smart logic by splitting on the word by or by dashes or commas, and then you get there like ninety percent of the way and then there's like some left over to do where it just go in and cleaned up by hand. But I guess this could also be improved in the future now that we have LMS and all of that to be more automated. But for now this has been proven to work out really well.
Speaker 1: Right, And you said that you have it all in YAMO files. So when there's a new conference or I was kind of assuming it was built on like rails or Hanami and had a database behind it. But is this more along the lines of something like a jackal or Bridgetown or something where you know, maybe you say, hey, my data is in these files, and so I'm just you know, I just build every time I get a new conference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for now, it's it is a rails up and it has a database. Okay, but what we do is that we go through all the AMMA files and import them into the database, just so we have a nicer interface to queer the data and kind of half speak profiles and event pages that's just easy to quer you and kind of build the websites around them, so they are all genamically generated on the service side and then served using the traditional rails requests response cycle.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, And I guess the other question I have is, you know, are you mostly focused on conferences or are you looking to do things with like meetups or if somebody puts up a good tutorial or something like that, you know, those are all videos that you may or may not want to pull in. I guess tutorials aren't events, but meetups are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was one of the reasons why I personally also wanted to move away from Ruby video, because this was meant to be focused on events, which also includes meetups, and we have a few meetup groups on there too, and not all the meetups are recording videos for the events and talks, which is also the other thing that I want to get away from Ruby video, because we want to still index all the talks that are happening at these meetups, even if they have no recording to it, So that you can at them as the titles, at descriptions, at the media data, at some of the slides if they have them available, or some of the resources like reposts, that you can still see that this talk and event took place at this time by the speaker, and this is all the information we know about it as well. But that's the thing. Like with tutorials, I think this is something that's harder to index in that sense that it keeps like it stays relevant, which I think this is still really good on YouTube or anywhere else where you host these tutorials. So I personally don't see at least in the near term that we kind of host these tours on on Ruby events as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I wonder if we could dig into these technicals a little bit, because you guys have built an actual production website using sequel Light and there some new feed reels features like solid que and also I think it's the first website that I can definitely remember has used page view transitions. So in terms of all these technologies in an actual app, what was your experience.
Speaker 4: Like, Yeah, as I said, when I started to build, I love to build things, but I am an engineer, so I am an engineer builder, so whenever I tried to build something new, it also has to be a way for me to discover tests some new technologies. So real builders will use proven tech and they just focused on the on the product, the feature, the and so on. So for me, as I said, when I had this initial idea of Ruby video, there were several technology that all came out and I wanted to try, and page view transition was one of the technology that I really wanted to try on. They had this demonstration where there is the same effect when you click on the small thumbnail of a video, then it's zoom up and you get this nice transition from the index to the show view, and I think that's pretty cool. At the same time, I had this feeling that in the rails industry, you know, always with the same topics, rail is dying and so on. A lot of the the impression that rail was old comes from some website built on rails that are that have some old look that they are not modern. Uh, that the back end is great, but the front end is built by back end developers, and I want it also, uh, this website to be some kind of flagship and that demonstrates that we we can build. We can get a nice uicks uh and UI with rails. Uh. You don't need to react, you don't need whatever front end framework to do this. And there are lots of technology availables nowadays with base you transition with Delawyn and some some component libraries that you can use to get something that is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks great as as quite impressed. We just are clean and simple designers, which is awesome. Does the page transition to API hooks into tablet drive? Doesn't it?
Speaker 4: When Hm, I started the project, it wasn't available with Turbo drive, so I use a package I don't recall the name, yes exactly, that provide the the bridge between Turbo and Pagroot transition. Since then, uh, Patriot transition has been built in into Turbo, so now it's uh, it's a native feature.
Speaker 2: Cool. And how was this the first time you'd use sequel light on a production app or how do you used it before?
Speaker 4: For me, it was the first time. Yes, how did you.
Speaker 2: Find that change from I'm guessing postgrass that you used in the past. Was it was it a big change in terms of thinking and designing or was it pretty much seamless.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm. I would say it was seamless in terms of a developer experience. What is nice is that doing a backup or if we need to dump some database, it's just a single fight that you need to to move. Combined with Camal and a small VPS hosting made the things amazingly cheap to host. That's that was I mean, compared to Heroku or whatever past where you always end up with a minimum of fifty year old per month, we could divide this almost by ten and get better performance out of it.
Speaker 1: So the performance language, I love that. I love that because yeah, I've had the same experience with Kamal and some of those tooling, so.
Speaker 4: So it's it's yeah. I mean, I wouldn't say that it was always perfect and that I sometimes spent more time that than I should have learning all of those Camal settings and so on, but that's that's something that I wanted to do also as part of growing experience, so that that it was okay for me to spend some time on this. But I'm not sure how you feel Marco about it. But for me, the the experience with as with Circulite, has been amazing. I mean that this the speed, the the API. There is nothing that really that I couldn't do up to now that I'm able to do in post grace or whatever database.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been similar experience for me. I didn't really have any problems with adapting from coming from prostgress. Mostly pretty much everything worked as I expected to work, and also from the query speed and all of that, it didn't really make any difference for me on how I built apps. But I think this is mostly also thanks to active record that does the heavy lifting for us in the bag we.
Speaker 4: Had for the full tech search to do a bit a bit more integration. I guess that this will with Rail's eight point one should be mostly covered with something official from what I understood, but it's not yet. Really we don't know exactly the boundaries. But now we have a full tech search that is performed by esk light and that works quite nicely.
Speaker 2: Did yeah have to change your database schema to be a sequel file instead of an RB file or is that something that they've fixed Because I knew until like a couple of years ago, if you wanted to do full tech search your sequel light, you couldn't have a schema dot orb it had to be a structured dot sequel. Is that something that they've changed now?
Speaker 4: I think so, because we are still using the RB schema.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, that's good to know.
Speaker 1: So have you thought about doing like a semantic search of some kind on there?
Speaker 4: Yes, the the very first version of Ruby video I used malisearch combined.
Speaker 1: That was nice to esq light because.
Speaker 4: I think at that time uh full tech search. It was probably possible with esclight, but either I couldn't find a up to date tutorial or things that that were built in Ruby. At that time, I feel like it was still a bit something new in the Reils world for building a production website. So I started to use a mail search and we we did some proof of concept for doing semantic search and like similar topics, similar finding similar dogs to one tales by. We created some embeddings and so on. That's something that we didn't push to production yet, but I'm really interested to work on this feature uh in in the upcoming months or so. That's that's really something where I think we can improve the overall discoverability of the content.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've played with it some, mostly using vector vector stuff with either elastic search or postgress and yeah, I mean it's cool stuff and it works out because then you can if I don't put in exactly the term that a full tech search would, you know, miss on, it can figure out what I'm looking for and kind of give it to me anyway.
Speaker 4: So it's definitely something that we'll want to improve to get some semantic search.
Speaker 1: So what other things are you looking to add to it? It sounds like you're going to merge the Ruby Conferences dot org and Ruby events dot org. Do you do you have other ideas of things that you want to add to this or bring into it, or do you have kind of a kind of a limited scope that keeps it simple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's a bunch you can do and a bunch of stuff you want to do. But then again, it's kind of tricky to build out all these features and make it work, especially because Ruby conscious that didn't really have a lot of meta data around any of the events. It was pretty much the name, the dates in the location right and now on Ruby Events we have the speakers, the talks, all the descriptions, so it's not just a one to one copy that we can take over and then it's good. So yeah, are looking on ways to bring over all the events. We have the events index now, but I have no speakers and no talks touched to them. So that's what be one thing to just go back to all these events and to try to add all these old talks so you have the data for it. But also then looking at the future. Having attended a bunch of conscious in the last few years, I noticed that the people that organized these events struggle with just the whole workflow as well. And one of the aspects of that is also the call for papers and finding the right platforms to host it. It seems to be quite an issue that's quite expensive for conference organizers to just be able to host the CFP. So we were also looking in two ways to make it easier to have like a full process for conference organizers to go from announcing the events up until the point to leasing the videos. To have this full workflow on. Let's announce the CFP, let's collect the proposals, let's finish it up. Then let's publish a schedule, let's publish the actual talk titles, Let's publish the event as I think that's happening. Then during the event, maybe there's some updates. Maybe there's just the currently the talk is currently running, and then after the talk, after the event, you don't get the recordings attached to the same the same talks. So just to kind of have this full experience on for conference organized, but also for attendees, to have this one interface platform where you can just go to and find the information you need. Another aspect also was to add photos official photos from the event, but also from social media. So if you use the conference hashtag, that we show these photos right next to the event itself and give some more impressions of what the event was like from people that's attend the event over talking about the event in some way or a number just to kind of bring the whole community aspect together, especially now when we have the social media breakup where everybody is just on some social platform but not everybody is on the same platform. At least with these rupy events, that we have one place where we see the stuff that we want to learn from, at least for the engineering part of our careers.
Speaker 2: Nice with this, like just like running this project, do you do you guys always see it always as a passion project? Do you reckon? You might like the sponsorship or some other kind of revenue model in the future, because if you're going to do something like come up with the whole workflow for conferences to run, see I FeAs and so that seems like quite a lot to do just for fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, I haven't really thought about how you would monetize it. I'm sure there are ways to do it, but then again, in the terms of community, it doesn't really seem to make sense to just monetize the whole platform for that. So at least for me, it's I plan it's to be for it to be a passion project that continues to be the case. And but maybe has another view about this, No.
Speaker 5: No, I mean for me it's those always I've always wanted to be and to remain a passion project. So that's also one of the reasons where I know that.
Speaker 4: We have lots of ideas of what we can do, but I mean, we also have day jobs, and so it has to remain a passion project and so things might not arrive tomorrow, it might take a bit more time, but we are doing it this with our little hands and some help of the community. Also, there's been lots of contributors lots of very interesting contribution from a various persons. Maybe some person that you met Marco, but I think also some person that came naturally to the ripple and suggested some nice improvements.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only other aspect that I could see this making some money at least two account for the cost of running it would be so if we want to add sponsors anyway, we want to kind of index all the sponsors that have sponsored an event and give them a profile page two to say this company sponsored all these events and that's what they kind of gave back to our community. Also that it's more interesting for companies to sponsor events not just for the duration of the events or leading up to it that they can see their names, but also in the archives say these are the companies that made this event possible. And maybe there are some companies that would love to still help out or kind of have the name on the platform to say we support the rugby community in that way. And I could see that kind of workout, But I don't see it's being monetized in a way for you to access any information or running a call for papers or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a natural thing. So I've been working on a side project that it does index the conferences, but it also indexes like gems and tutorials and you know, lets people know when the meetups are coming up, and you know, basically it's like an all in one directory for anything having to do with Ruby. It turns out it's probably a lot more work than what you guys are doing. But that was what I was looking at too, was just you know, it's like, hey, you know, this naturally fits in here where you know, you're looking at error handling tools right for dev tools under dev tools, and so then you'd have that banner there because somebody paid to kind of have their banner or be at the top of the list or something like that. And so I think something like this makes a lot of sense in your case too. Yeah, where somebody is you're not gatekeeping any content. You're just making people aware, Hey, they sponsored this video and you know you can find them here, and it just kind of extends whatever it was that they got from the conference exactly. Yeah, So I'm kind of curious, and I guess I could probably go look this up, But how many conferences of you indexed and put onto the website?
Speaker 3: There are five hundred forty conferences on the website right now. Oh wow, and I think there are around two hundred and fifty to half actual talks touched to them. Okay, so there's still like half of them don't have any like talks touch to them, but there's still a lot of data already on the platformance off.
Speaker 4: And that's so then seven hundred and ten.
Speaker 1: Dogs, That's what I was going to ask, how many talks? Seven thousand plus talks.
Speaker 4: That's amazing, almost three five hundred speakers. Wow, yes, and that's that's also a nice feature of Ruby Events is that speakers have their own page where the they we get some information from their guitar profile and also will index will list all of their talks. They can if they connect with Guitar, then they can get a little mark that will certify their their profile and they can do some small edits to the content on their their profile. But we start to have yeah, there's lots of lots of speakers. Some it's it's interesting when you discover a speaker and that you can also see what other talks he gave. So that's uh, brings a lot of serendipity into the the search experience with the the whole content.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, I found's page and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went looking for my own page in a very narcissistic quay as well.
Speaker 1: Did you I'm spoken? Oh, it says right there, claim your profile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have found this.
Speaker 1: Oh you've got my old stuff in here.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm looking for your page, not chuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the most recent talk in there for me is from twenty thirteen. It was a Ruby Rogues panel I did. Yeah, I did some other talks.
Speaker 3: But I'll rest on twenty fifteen ls though, But I think it's if your middle name there, so it's just Charles Wood, which has another talk in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, we do plant it on speaking more so so you may see other stuff pop up if you're wondering that.
Speaker 2: Sweet I as I found the topic section where you can jump into topic and see all the talks that fit under that, which which I think is super cool. But just curious about how you tagged each talk with a number of topics or is it a manual process or g use like l l m's or something of that for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's l M based. We it's we try to to to Once we get the meta data from the for for for the does those you file, we we ingest them into the ESCALI database and then we try to enhance those meta data. First, if we can get the transcript of the talk, we'll add the transcript to our database. We'll do a first cleaning of the transcript because most of the time the transcript that we get are not so accurate, and we run them through a first ai agen that will produce something that is much cleaner, not perfect, but cleaner. Out of it this, we build a small summary of the talk where you can get i don't know, like the main key points that are covered during this talk. And then out of this the transcript and the summary, we feed this to an l LAM with the existing topics that we have because we try to avoid doing too much. Duplication doesn't work perfectly, but does a bit and then uh, this will create the taggings. So in the perfect world, well, of course we'd like to get some more manual tagging, but it wasn't given the amount of talks we had and all the the history that we needed to cover. The backlogs, the DLM really help us improve do this very.
Speaker 1: Quickly, are you Yeah, you were talking about the cost of running this. Are you are you paying for the LLLM that you're accessing? Are you running something like olama on your own thing? On your own.
Speaker 4: It's mostly open ai tokens, so okay, and frankly speaking, yes, I'm paying for this, but I think I probably put like twenty US dollars or an ace.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have it, spend time. I've seen those costs go up when people use some of those models, So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for now, the models that we are using for topics and summarize those things are pretty stand out. Those are the cheap.
Speaker 1: Models of I was going to say, you're not paying for the most recent expensive models.
Speaker 4: Well, they are recent, but they are not the largest one, right. Okay, we have seven thousand videos. It's a lot, but it's not it's not that much neither, so we don't We don't ingest thousands of video every day, so the cost remains.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I haven't counted exactly, but it's it's something that as I can't afford, I don't need to find a business model yet for this spot.
Speaker 1: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: I wonder if if you guys want to switch gears a little bit and just talk talk a little bit about stimulus, because you guys are both core maintained as of that, and is that something you want to discuss.
Speaker 3: Do you mean, like SIMS in general, on the context of in.
Speaker 2: General in general and in the context of the website. I guess.
Speaker 6: Sure, I mean yeah, so it's it's just the setup of hot Wire in terms of governance is a bit strange, because it's like Reels has a core team and an issue to even a committed and it's all fairly clear.
Speaker 2: With hot Wire and the constituent libraries, things seem a bit unclear. What is your impression and experience about being maintained as a stimulus where in slightly less of a democratic governance structure. I guess from my point of view, thirty seven signal still holds the keys essentially.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah. From my perspective, it always was that I helped out with triaging issues, trying to respond to issues, trying to see if you can bring in some of the small changes at our like no brains, to merge for bigger features. It was always just me proposing some features and then somebody from the actual company wouldn't merge those requests, So there wasn't that fever kind of steering the whole direction of the framework. It was just us trying to at least me trying to help out in some ways. That is straightforward to just do when you can kind of sit down for a few minutes and look at these issues that we're coming in.
Speaker 4: I think it's reated the same thing on my side, mostly trying to help. I would say that my involvement into this stimulus ripple in the past months years has been way less than what it could have been a few years ago. But I think it's also in general, I'm writing way less stimulus controllers since hot wire in general. I don't know if this is something it might be feeling too, but we with hot wires and the terminal streams and morph and so on, Lots of the things that in the would require some stimulus controlers are now somehow already included into Turbo and hot wire, So I'm using way less stimulus in general.
Speaker 1: I'll chime in and I'll say that that's my experience as well. Initially, when they came out with Stimulus, it was like, this is a breath of fresh air and I could just put this where I want, And yeah, then I have to give credit to I used because I was reading his book and I figured out that Turbo did a whole bunch of other things for me that I liked. And so yeah, I've been writing a lot less Stimulus and just using Turbo streams mostly.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: But the governance, yeah, we know it's a thirty seven signal repo. They have the final decision on this. I mean, besides Stimulus, there is with Marco, we built stimulus hues, which at that time, uh, the idea was okay stimulus because at that time stimulus was even more uh frozen. This was really a frozen project. The idea was to get something done and keep it like this. But we felt in the community that we needed some more tools around stimulus, so there were no way to get those tools into the core product. There were no real plugging capabilities. And that's where Stimulus Shoes brought this pattern and this API where you could add to your stamus controllers some new features and some new capabilities with an API that was almost feeling like you have you added some plugins to your stimulus controllers. And that was a way to somehow okay, keep the stimulus and all their decision and their like this and build something that could fit into this model.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, I think it's just one of the things you got to live with with stimulus. I guess it is what it is. I'm glad that you guys put in the effort to try and keep things going as much as possible. But yeah, with with about taking over so much of the heavy lifting, you only left to really use stimulus for like the tiny bits where you need clients out interactivity. I guess so you're connecting that back to Ruby Events. Was there anything big or heavy that you felt you absolutely need needed stimulus for on that website? And if you don't have stimulus, what do you think you would have used.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest piece that we have on Stimilus use use on Ruby Events is the video player for the playing the actual videos. I think there's some logic around that where we have to embed some plugin or some player in case it's to be light, and that's what we have to just wrap up in a stimulus control to make it work. But I think that's pretty much like the biggest thing we have. There are like around fifteen or twenty controls. It's not that many. Most of them are super small and tiny and super specific for one use case in the app. So it's not that it actually makes heavy use of stimulus. I think it's that's the other thing. I think that's just a testament turboalytis. You can do so much with Turbo we've had having to go back and write Similus controls yourself, and if you do, they are super small and straightforward to write. So I think that's really the key here. The other thing about Similus as well is I think that it is also considered done right, that doesn't I don't really think there's too much we have to add to the core itself that you can achieve otherwise. And with that and having Similous use next to it, I think, at least for my use cases, it has always been more than enough. And I guess for the other question for what I would use if I wouldn't kind of write stimulus, it would probably be web components. Honestly, I think they have been very underrated the last few years. You can achieve very similar outcomes with some basic classes that you write that are web components. And there's this other project from Githup, which is inspired by Stimulus, which I also get the name of that framework, but is almost like stimulus, but you're for web components, so you write web components that have targets that have components that are controls in the same the Yeah, and if I wouldn't write Seamus, I would probably use that framework or just pure web components.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to look up that framework because I love web components. Like, if I don't have Stimulus available, which is usually if I'm doing like a static side, you're probably using bridge down, then I don't bother pulling in stimulus because a bit too much. So then I usually use web components And yeah, I love them. They're web stand that they just seem to work out of the box quite nicely. So yeah, A big, big fan of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One other thing that I would think about reaching for is if I didn't have Turbo, i'd be looking and at HTMX.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. HMX is also interesting because it also feels it's way more lower level than Turpo, so you have to kind of write a lot more or more explicitly what you want to do, which is personally what I dislike about it. But I guess if you couldn't use Turbo, it will still be better than the alternatives. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the same complaint. I just I like that you can just pull in Turbo and suddenly all your links are magically using table drive. I don't want to be sitting and writing data attributes for every single one to make it work. So yeah, similar complaint on HDMX, And my experience at Stimulus has also been like what you mentioned, the very small controller is doing very specific things. So in your opinions, you think Stimulus should have a standard library that provides a lot of these small things that are common.
Speaker 3: On Yeah, for some time I was feeling that there is a need for that, but I feel like the more I've written Stimulus, the less I think that's actually the case. And I also quite dislike the idea of importing hope control from some packages because usually it's not the the child skip part that is annoying to write. It's usually the markup, and we've had the markup next to the controller it is pretty much useless. So I don't think it really makes sense to have pre defined controllers that you're just important use because yeah, it depends on the markup if you had some way to kind of share markup and controls, then maybe, But I think then again that's kind of where we are with web components. That's pretty much what that is. You import one element, it has to behavior attached to it and it's like isolated, and that's kind of what you use. But if you don't use that, and I think that's what simlous use is actually really good that too, because you have these common behaviors that you can use with these hooks. It just important sooks that you kind of want and then you get that behavior, but it don't get ready made controls that are just important in the use.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at some point I thought that for revid and some standard libraries, it would have a bit more interesting to get some places where you can basically copy paste some standard stimulus controllers, because also my experience has been that I'd never really like to import a stimulus component from a library. I prefer to have the code because we are usually talking about what twenty fifty one hundred lines of code maximum in a stimulus control. What's the point to import this from a back cage rather than having this into your into your project directly. So I prefer to copy and paste directly to the code and get my own control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: There's a stimulus dash components dot com that has a bunch of ease that pull in other libraries and things, and every time I've tried to use them, eventually I'm just like I needed to do something slightly off from what this does out of the box, and even doing the kind of inheritance thing that they tell you you can do with it, it still doesn't quite jive. And so yeah, I wind up going and finding their source code, copying it into my thing, and then going all right, now I can make it do what I want. And it's usually it's almost always simple enough to where yeah, I can just reach in and go that changes, and that changes, and that changes, and I'm good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The framework I was mentioning earlier is called from GitHub. That's as I mentioned meant.
Speaker 2: It's called Catalyst.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, need to check that out for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, anything else that we want to delve into here, I mean we've been going for fifty one minutes.
Speaker 3: I guess one thing that I want to just mention as well is that we have built some mobile apps too. Now with Hotwaire Native that we just want to kind of get out there so if you are at these events, that you can pull it up and see the schedule and maybe bookmark some of these talks that you want to check out later if you miss them in person or just want to revisit them. And that's kind of the other thing that I think is really nice about this whole ecosystem that we have now. But everything is in one place and you just need this one app for these events. And previously I have seen some point of this have their own app or their own PWA's that you have to install, and at least with this, it will be this one place where the community can focus on and contry data through and then you have it on the go as well.
Speaker 4: And what is great is that this is under the Ruby events all on GitHub, and you have the web pads that is open source, but also the two mobile app iOS and Android are both open source projects, so that's that's also a very nice, uh place to learn those technology. I wouldn't say that we are providing perfect code, but at least it's a real projects that are that are live in production and that you can look at the code awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't know as a native answer is that is that downloadable from the app stores?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 1: So you just look for Ruby events that's it.
Speaker 2: Yes awesome, guys, just says the last technical question for me about the webs I just around you it is. I've been a fairly vocal critic of thellerency. I'm curious to understand why you guys are using it. Just is this something you like? And also how come you using write wheat and hybernand it instead of like, instead of es bild or something like that. Just curious about those two choices.
Speaker 4: Can talk about Telwyn and maybe Marco you'll talk about it. Mm hmm, Well, Telwyn, I think, and we it's not only using tellwin, but also it's using a set of components from daisy Ui. Then that is that provides some some kind of it's a bit the bootstrap uh kind of components that we used to have in the bootstrap days, but built for uh delawing. So we use that. I mean it's it's good in the sense that we didn't have to make too much decision and and things were already prepackaged. I know that we had some cases where uh Tweaking some components was harder than expected. Marco had some quite a bit of struggle with some component. I remember we haven't migrated yet. We have a pr open to migrate to tell in four and day z Ui five h, which bring more flexibility because we don't we don't have to import uh the entire day z Ui components. We can just pick the one that will want so that that would be a nice improvement. Now, why tellwind versus other things is probably I'm more familiar to use telling nowadays than using stand out CSS, but that's I don't have strong opinion on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like tailwind, so I live in your camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like it's just the de fact of standards at this point, at least in the wider app community, that this is what you use. But I can also see how you dislike it, especially if these classes get super long and you have to think about how you break it up. But I think it's still better to have these complexity at least in in one place, in the components themselves, not like little around the whole app.
Speaker 4: And yeah, we do use a view components a bit. We should use it more. We have some places where we know that we would need to refactor a bit like the the user, the speaker of the nails and so on. So we know that we have some lots of duplicates that we could refactor. But we we do use a view components, and when you combine view components with Telwin's that makes it quite quite nice to get your design system the basics, basic building blocks.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, I've done that too. I will admit that I have moved back away from view components and I just put all my stuff in partials. It's the same idea right where it's okay, I know I'm going to have to have a text field or you know, yeah, an avatar or something like that, and so I just have a standard partial for it. Just pull it in and give it what it needs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, view components, can we have you handed? I just like them because and you need a little bit more logic. They're instead of putting it in help as I think the view component helps. But yeah, I think for a majority of use cases, partials or do just fine. It's just that a little bit of extraving that view component gives you is useful, but definitely don't need it for every project.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good way to put it, right, because that's the trade off is that, yeah, you can just hand in the objects that it needs in order to figure out what to do, whereas with the partials you kind of have to you have to finesse it a little bit and put some of that more of that into the helpers, which aren't always as targeted as the view component class, which is essentially like a presenter.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see the trade offs. I really do like the view components. I just kept running into funny things with some of it, or it felt like it was overkill for some of the simple stuff. And so yeah, but that idea I've used extensively where yeah, it's okay, I've got all my tailwind stuff in the view, view component or the partial, and so it always looks the same because I always just reach for it when I'm putting that in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess ask for the beat question, I think it's it's really from coming from the web Pack days and where you have the web Pack deft server running like as a separate process. You really got that nice developer experience where you update the files and you don't have to reload the page every time. So just like this whole experience, from hot reloading to adding dependencies to integration of the acid pipeline, it just feels like a well like grounded a package. It just included in the works. There's no configuration, there's nothing you have to kind of make work. And if E is built, it doesn't really handle images. It doesn't really handle style sheets. I think maybe it doesn't now, but not quite sure. So it's really just this package of you just included no configuration, and you've got all the nice benefits that you don't get with import maps but also don't really get with VS built. You can get some of that eas built too, but then you have to write your custom like watching mechanism to make sure that you reload the pages. But it feels always so hacky compared to just using VAT. And yeah, WEAT has focused on developer experience and just using that tool as it is without some custom rails, Rappo logic magic, it really feels nice as it should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've used both. The thing that I miss when I use import maps as the heart reloading of all the things, you don't have to do hardly any work to make it work with VAT. The flip side is is that I like having the I feel like import maps is more flexible and I can see where everything's coming from. VAT tends to, at least in the way I had it set up. It was building out one file and production for the JavaScript and compressing everything together, and that made it a little hard to follow sometimes, you.
Speaker 3: Mean, like for debucking like in the browser when yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Those are the trade offs that I saw. I have to say that between you know, given given the two options, I've kind of leaned more toward import maps. But I mean, I I don't know that I have that much more advantage. And the hot reloading, like you said, is so nice, So I don't know. I don't I don't have a strong feel on this one, but there are things to like about both.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Other thing I like about viata as well is if you have a syntax error or some like missing dependencies or some missing or wrong imports, it will tell you right away with a noble A and say here's what's wrong on this line. And with import maps you pretty much get no feedback at all. Yeah, yeah, exactly, And that's just this a little bit more that you get with it. But obviously there's more complexity behind the scenes, which is also what makes it less attractive.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: For in pot maps you can get hot reloading. Now with hot wire Spark.
Speaker 1: You just made my day. Ye, here's a virtual hu Adrian. My life is better now.
Speaker 4: I've not used it yet really because I'm not really using in pot maps. But from what of the project that is made, it's a whole ray who build it from a thirty seven signals? I think they are using it mostly internally thirty seven signals because they are mostly in both maps shop. It does work well with in both maps and stimulus controller. Then when you have something a bit more exotic, then you might not have the full refresh and so on. You can give this try.
Speaker 1: Well, if it'll do that, then why the heck are you using Vietnam Skip?
Speaker 4: I don't know. For me, both maps has always been more trouble than solutions. But it's probably that I didn't spend enough time getting through the running curve. I don't know. Also, in my day job, we have more I mean in both maps. I think what's great when you have a very limited amount of external dependencies that you will get So if you mostly have your own stimulus controllers with very few external dependencies. It's probably quite easy to manage. But as soon as you want to pull in us some libraries with their own cess and so on, then the whole thing becomes way less easy. Ye sometimes yeah, yeah, for me, I never really click up to now, but who knows.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I'm going to go ahead and push us into our picks. Our picks is our final segment of the show. If you've listened before, you know, we just shout out stuff that we like. If you haven't listened before, we just shout out stuff that we like. And so I'll have our usually go first, and then I will do picks and then you guys do picks.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So, well, I spent quite a lot of me, you think, my favorite musician around Europe because it was like twenty plus day tour. I went for nine shows because I'm a bit mad, so as around Europe and then the UK. Wow, so I have to pick him. So Steven Wilson check out his new album, The Overview. It's ridiculous. It's two songs of twenty three minutes and eighteen minutes, so it's completely nuts. It's like something out of the seventies, but it is very very good space theme progressive rock. If into that kind of thing, so yeah, check that out. He's sturing America and the Autumn, I think, so if you're in America, maybe if you like what, yeah, you can see him live now. I watched a couple of movies last week. Coincidentally, both were Woody Allen movies, so might as well just pick those because I like them both. One was match Point, which I really liked, I think not a really really good opening line, which talks about luck and how people are reluctant to admit just how much luck plays a role in life, and it compares it to a ball hitting the top of a tennis net and for a second it can go either cross the net or fall right back and depends on your locks is. And it's just very clever writing and imagery throughout that movie, which is really good. And then the other movie I watched was almost the opposite, which is called Hollywood Ending, which is about as stupid as match Point was intelligent and deep. Hollywood Ending was about as stupid, but I really enjoyed it because the jokes were The jokes were funny, like no matter how stupid the movie wasn't the ending was. It was really well written and really funny. So yeah, I'm gonna go with those two movies as my picks. Yeah, I don't have a tech pick. I'm just gonna call it there.
Speaker 1: All right, good deal. I'm going to throw in some picks. I always start with the board game. The board game I'm gonna pick is Camel Up. We had four couples we got together for my friend's birthday and this is one of the games we played. It's a pretty simple game board game. Geek waits it at one point five, which means that it's you know, your casual gamer can pick it up pretty easily and run with it. Age is eight and up can play it. It takes about a half hour, and it's a camel race around a pyramid, and so you roll the dice and you move the camels, and yeah, you bet on the camels. You also can reserve a space and if a camel lands on it, then you know it'll move it forward or back and you get money at the end of each round. If you bet on the right camel, you get money. And then at the end, whoever picked the right camel to win the overall race. The first person to do it gets more money, the second person gets less, person gets less. You can bet on more than one camel. If you bet wrong at the end, then you lose a coin or a dollar or whatever it is. I mean, that's essentially the whole game. You just play until one of the camels gets across the line, and then you finish the round and the dice you stick them in the top of the pyramid, and then you flip the pyramid over and push a little thing on the side and it drops one of the dice, and whatever color the dice is, you move the camels, and then the only other rule is is if you move a camel onto the same space as another camel, it goes on top of the stack of camels. And then if a camel underneath any of it, So if a camel has other camels on top of it, when it moves, it moves, and it moves with all the other camels on top of it too, and so anyway, it gets kind of interesting, you know, betting and doing all the things there, But super fun game if you're looking for a quick game. Like I said, it plays up to eight people and so yeah. That was part of the reason why we were playing it with that group, right, is because it kind of fit everybody in. So, yeah, I'm gonna pick camel up as as my pick for a board game. I've also I'm in the middle of the last book of the Sort of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and those I've really really enjoyed these books. The first one is called Wizard's First Rule, and so I'll put a link to that in the in the show notes as well. But yeah, it's it's a fantasy, it's high fantasy, and I've I don't even know how to describe them to you, so just go pick them up. I think there was a TV series that they made out of it, too, but I haven't watched it, and I don't know how close they stuck to the book. So if you've seen the TV series and you know, I don't know how how good the context is there, but I'm going to pick that. I don't know that I have any technical picks, so I will just let Adrian and Marco do their picks. Adrian, do you want to go first?
Speaker 4: Okay, I wasn't really prepared for this. I might go a bit of topics I don't know. I'm not sure about the exact rule of the pig, but I'll talk about a recent passion that I had discovered. I've been doing quite a lot of sports recently and discovered CrossFit and iras. I don't know if you're familiar with iracks. It's kind of competition a raise of CrossFit, and just purchased some tickets for the next event in Bordeaux November and we are and it has been quite amazing how I could progress in sport doing this and how motivating. So if you are looking for something quite intense and to to to to get back to to sport, it's it's a nice challenge to to to put to the race isn't easy and one of the hardest parts nowadays is to get a ticket for some of those race because it's very very become very very popular. But it's sounds quite challenging and nice. And that's a nice thing that I discovered recently. So that's my passion pick, I would say. And in terms of technical what.
Speaker 2: What did I.
Speaker 4: Well, we are doing a lot of things with.
Speaker 3: With LLLM.
Speaker 4: Of course nowadays it quite impressive how we can We are doing a lot of adaptive learning, and it's pretty impressive how we can do this very easily versus what we could do in the past.
Speaker 1: Cool. And just to put it out there, the hierrox is h y r o X. It took me a minute to find it on the Google. So awesome, Marco, What are your picks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have one for music as well. One of my favorite DJs and producers they are They have residency now in a new club that just opening Ibisa called Universe, and it's this new hyper club they call it. It's like space themed. It's really big, but it's like really nice and all is a custom build for that specific club, and they have like a new show called Holo Sphere and it's like this hollows with like visual LEDs on the into the and the outside of that sphere, and the DJ is performing in the center of the sphere so you get these really nice free D effects and it looks really awesome. And I want to go see a show of his, like when he's like doing his residency, it's like every Monday till September, so I really want to go see that. And if you are not familiar with his music, then check it out. And I guess for the technical pick, I have been quite enjoying a tool called hot Wire left tools by a friend of mine. It's like a brows extension for hot wire, so you can kind of inspect the stumus controls your turbo frames and all of that, and there's a lot of stuff you can just see in debug using that in the browser. And they have been working on a native what do you call it, like inspect panel in the browser, so like next to you notes, so inspector in the theft tools you also get like this new panel now for hatwire. So this is really cool to see how this came about. Yeah, that's called what do I F Tools and it's available in all platforms breaking download extensions.
Speaker 1: For grosss awesome. All right, Well, how do people find you guys online? If they want to connect?
Speaker 3: For me, it's my first and last name, dot dev Macro dot dev now Arian Paulie pretty much everywhere, mostly on Twitter, a bit on the Blue Sky.
Speaker 4: Then what else. Yeah, that's the two main stings and on getub.
Speaker 1: All right, cool, Well, thanks for coming and thanks for putting this together, because it seems pretty handy and something that the community I think needed. Awesome. Thank you so much for having us all right, well, folks, until next time, Max out