Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Easy Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, we have spent a couple of hours talking about the election today of the first American Pope, Pope Leo the fourteenth, and we're going to either continue that for a little bit and you're going to decide if you still want to talk about that. Dial this number six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Got a couple of calls they're going to deal with. If that's it, we will move on because on this program, the audience decides what we want to talk about, and if you want to talk uh and make a comment, I'm looking for comments from both Catholics and non Catholics alike, both believers and atheists and agnostics alike. I do think that the presence of an American pope in the Vatican in Rome will have an impact on all of our lives, either directly or indirectly. I do believe it's an important position, and particularly be comes now even a more important position as a position that is held by an American. For better or for worse, many of us felt that we would never see an American Polpe at our lives, and today we were introduced to one a native of Chicago who was a missionary in Peru. I spent a lot of time in Peru, and I spent a lot of time in Rome. And it was stunning to see for me as an American, to see an American walk out onto the balcony as the next pope. It was something that I had never imagined in my life. And if you have, you can tell me why. And if you haven't, you can tell me why. And if you feel this is significant, I'd love to hear why. And if you feel it's insignificant. Many of you may feel it doesn't impact you, and it may not, but you may also feel it's something that we have overstated. So you have the numbers six seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or six one, seven, nine three, one ten thirty. Do with him as you will. Let me go. We're going to finish up with Bill in Pennsylvania. Bill wanted to tell a quick story. Go right ahead, Bill, thanks for holding on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a from a Baptist pulpit that I heard a while back. Then a coast Guard helicopters flying in the middle of the Pacific, and they looked down on this little island. There's a guy waving his arms. He got sos written in the sand. They land and pick him up and he says oh. He says, thank god you rescued me. He says, I was on that island by myself for five years. Oh, go ahead. Anyways, as they're taking off, the pilot looks down at the ave and he looks at the guy. He says, are you sure you are not island but by yourself for five years? He goes, yep, five years by myself. He says, well, tell me something. He says, how come there's three huts down there? And the guy goes, well, he says that hut there by the by the surf, he says, that's where I lived. And the pilot goes, yeah, he said, what about that hut over there by the palm trees. He says, oh, that's where I went to church. Oh, okay, you lived in that when you went to church? And that one. What about that hut over there on the other side of the island. Is that's where I used to go to church?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, keep the day job. Cute story story. Thanks Bill, good to hear you, boys. Thanks very much. All right, let me go next to have a great one. Let me go next to Joe and Belmont. Joe, I'm sure you were very interested in this today.
Speaker 4: Dan time man. If he can't do it, no one can.
Speaker 2: I agree with you on that Coretta headshow. What's your thought about an American pope.
Speaker 4: I thought I heard on ABC that uh Pope Leo the fourteenth was going to be progressive on social issues and conservative on doctrine, like no women priests. And I'm hoping that uh Catholics can you know, really support him, and I'm hoping he's going to be a great pope. And I don't want to give any opinions on whether Pope Francis is following the teachings of Peter and Paul, because I don't know what the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost is telling the Pope. So I'm going to keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 2: That's a good let me tell you. Whenever in doubt, it's always it's always a good option, that's for sure. Joe. I appreciate your call, Thank you for your observations. Appreciate it. Let me go next to Missouri. Jim and Missouri go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 5: Dan, Hey, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You're right, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, first of all, I'm sorry I fell asleep on the other night. I just fell asleep, So.
Speaker 2: People have a right to fall asleep. You go right ahead, even when you're listening on the radio, Go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Jim, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: So I mean I hesitate to call in because Catholics all know each other. So as soon as you start talking, you go to church and everybody knows you. You're kind of embarrassed. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: What what Why do people embarrassed that they go to church. I don't get that.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're just supposed to be a certain way. And if it's you know, I can't explain it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it a trouble explain. Go ahead, tell me what you want to tell me. I'm allus. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. The thing that our family was extreme Catholic for many many, for many generations, and then there was a falling out. But I was baptized Catholic, and I just about five years ago I wanted to go back. And the reason I wanted to go back is because it just occurred to me that everybody now wants to be a part of some sort of like a secret subculture where they get their own hand signs and their own language.
Speaker 2: And I don't know anybody like that, but that's okay if you if you know people like that. I don't belong to any subcultures. But go ahead, what sort of a subculture do you belong to?
Speaker 3: Catholicism is the original subculture, man, When you might be it.
Speaker 2: Might have been when they were hanging out in the catchulm, but here in Boston, at least when I grew up, I didn't know too many people who weren't Catholic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so all right, well, but I mean I think, I mean, it's it's very you grew up.
Speaker 2: In Kansas City or did you grow up, you know, in a in a different part of West I was.
Speaker 3: I was again, I was born on the South side of Chicago. I think I might have been born in the same hospital as this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it said he was on the south side of Chicago even but he's now a Cubs fan, which of course is the North side of Chicago, so we'll have to think of that.
Speaker 3: To his According to his brother, he was a Sox fan, but I was born in Saint Francis, which is now kind of shut down, but so anyway, But the thing is, I think, I mean, people are talking about him as if he's a person. He's not a person anymore. He's God incarnate, and.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't think so, to be honest with you, I don't. At least the Catholic theology that I understand is the Pope is a human being. He's not God. Uh Pope, the first Pope, Peter was not God. Peter was a fisherman. So I don't want to get into into the deep deal here, but he's he's infallible on what they call matters of faith and morals. That's what I was taught in the Catholic public schools. So if this guy spoke what's called ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals, you had to follow what he said. At the same time, if he said root for the White Sox or root for the Red Sox, or the kids is in the Royals, he wasn't talking about matters of faith and morals here. So he's just a regular human being. He's a He may be God's representative in the minds of many people, but he's he's not he's he's a human being.
Speaker 3: Okay, well now I'm wrong about that, but well that's so anyway that that's kind of what brought me back to the church. And I'm very excited and happy that there's a that there's a local connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're really a local when you might have lived in his neighborhood now that you think about it, I don't know how old you are, but he was born in fifty five on the South side of Chicago, and he didn't leave there, I don't think until he went off to college. He went to Villanova and graduated from Villanova. I think it was trying to do the math here. I think it was sometime in like nineteen eighty or so or whatever it was. Maybe he was seventy eight, so he would have been living in your neighborhood. I'm not sure what you You were born from nineteen fifty five, probably right through the mid nineteen seventies before he went off to college.
Speaker 3: Heleanova, right, But I mean I think that, I mean, from what I'm hearing, I think a lot of people don't. I mean, I may be wrong about this, but I think a lot of people don't really grasp exactly what's going on with the Catholic Church, when with the Catholic Church is not I think you have to live in the world a lot and suffer in the world a lot to really realize that there's a lot more to what's going on here than just what you see.
Speaker 5: And that's you know, what you.
Speaker 2: Can have your.
Speaker 3: Church be about what you want, but that's what to me, what the church is about. I can get all the other worldly stuff everywhere else. I go to the church for the stuff that you can't see. The stuff that you can't see.
Speaker 2: One of the things one of the things, Jim, that I find in going to church, and I tend to go once a week. There was a time period of time right after the pre scandal where I didn't go because I was so appalled, but I sort of have gone back to it. And one of the things you get a chance to kind of sit and think for an hour or just sit and kind of keep out the hubbub and the hurly burly of the world and think about what you got that you're grateful for, whether it's your health or your family. I think that it's it's good to take there's one hundred and sixty eight hours in the week. So if I can take one hour a week, uh and just just sitting and contemplate my good fortune, uh, you know, good health and good friends. I think that's that's well worth it in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Well, they keep us busy on our knees praying the words to be anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, keep going. Thanks, Jim appreciates your call. I'll have a good one. Take a very quick break here. I only got one line here coming up, so I'm going to probably switch this unless you guys want to have a few more comments about Pope Leo. I'm not going to drag it out at six one seven, two five four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty your reaction to the election of the first American pope today. Maybe maybe you have to be of a certain vintage to realize the significance of it. If there are those of you who are out there, younger people in your twenties or thirties, I'd love to know what you think about this and does it change your view of either Catholicism, whether you're a Catholic or not. Uh, it is. It's a moment in time that I think many people are underestimony, underestimating in the short run. Feel free to join the conversation. If not, we're going to switch off right after one more call with my friend Pelvis from Middleton. Back on Nightside after.
Speaker 1: This, it's Nightside with Yoston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's rock and roll. Let's go to Pelvis and Middleton. Pelvis next on Nightside. How were you, sir, Dan?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. It's been an interesting day, at least it is. It was for me, how about you?
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, I was at the end of the day. It was I listened to the camera etil all day, so I was invested in that. But on the other, you know, the other end of it, I get why people are excited for the you know, religious thing and all that. I just, you know, my grand old school Italian woman goes and praise for the whole family and follows suit and does the whole nine. And I understand it from like a you know, social parapeutic type of what you explained, like, you go there, you know, you feel good about what you've got and what you've got in lines and friends. I just don't follow it as hardcore as you know, who decides what the Bible translated to whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I totally get that. So so I'm assuming you're you're agnostic, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you have to explain that to me.
Speaker 2: I'm just, well, well, I'll tell you what. Let me explain it to you, because I think it's important for people to understand that. Okay, there's there's two. There are atheists who will tell you that there is nothing beyond here, and atheists will tell you there's no God, there's there's nothing beyond here. Okay, that they're convinced of that. They are convinced, yeah, that we're living you know, however long we live here, and that's it. When it's over, it's over, okay. Agnostics are people who do not believe, but they don't disbelieve. So they're sort of like the ones in the middle. They're not it off the church every Sunday or to synagogue every every Saturday. Uh, you know, they're not going, but they they leave open the possibility in their mind. Now people can switch back and forth, and then you have all the religions over here on the other side and people who believe in certain things whatever, and you can kind of a big bunch of Well I've picked up from you that that you sound to me like you're an agnostic as or an atheist.
Speaker 7: I think so, no, no, no, I think you're right. I think I think I believe in a higher level. Put it that way. I just the way that religion is controlled and delivered creates a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: In that case, I got another category for you. Then you might be sort of either what's called a theist or a deist, meaning you believe there's something out there. And obviously, if there's something out there, it's much greater than you and me because we're not out there. So but but you, but your path to finding that is not through something morganized religion. You don't have to, you feel you don't have to. You got to go to some building.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't think it should be used as a tool, is what I'm getting at. I think all of us should believe in, you know, obviously whatever whatever helps you sleep at night, and whatever helps you get by, because everybody deals with everything. But when it's used as a tool, and then you know, and I'll just leave you with this.
Speaker 1: I mean, in my.
Speaker 7: Opinion, the way the Bible is or whatever. I mean, the Catholic Church, if they would just allow the priests, the popes whoever, to be married in a normal, you know, marital situation. Here, I mean, you're basically putting them it's almost like prison, Dan, You're almost you're almost asking them to mess up when it comes to like the scandal. That totally turned me off against the whole thing, because you're not going to tell me how to live my life when you are doing things that are despicable, and you know, let me.
Speaker 2: You got plenty of options if you happen to be some who believes, and if you happen to be Christian, you can become Episcopal, you can be Baptist, you can become There are Catholic priests who were married. They were Episcopal priests who were married and converted to Catholicism. That's a little known fact category of course not of course, no, no, no, no, no no. And there was a point in time where back in the in the early days of the Church, where Catholic priests were married. My understanding, and I'm not a theologian, is that the Catholic Church made some sort of a decision at some point that people would better serve the flock if their whole intention.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was taught. Okay. The other thing which I was taught as a Catholic kid in school was that the only true church was the Catholic Church and that you couldn't go to heaven. I was taught this. But but, but, but I've come to the conclusion that if there is and I believe there is a God, there's not like three. There's not a Hindu God, Jewish God and a Catholic God and a Presbyterian God and a Baptist God and all you know, twenty seven gods up there. No, there's one. If there is, there's one God. And I believe that that God is going to look at people and say, hey, what sort of a life did they live, how did they treat other people, and that that would be the way in which the person would be judged. And I just think that you can you can literally follow any religion, or you even can follow, in my opinion, lack of religion. But if you live a decent life, I think you should be rewarded in the afterlife, in my opinion.
Speaker 7: But that's why I also, I mean, just real quick, I have a good friend of mine. He's a doctor in New Jersey, Muslim Indian guy who has a turn in the whole nine yards, right, he jails with stuff every day, people coming into Virgin Care and you know, hey, buddy, you know the racist stuff word you pocket camel, blah blah blah. But in the minute he says he's Muslim, a lot of people turn to radical you know, radical Muslim and he's like, you know, listen, there are so many different levels of what you know, their religion is as well, so just in general, it's it just seems like a great divide and it's it can be used as a tool. It's obviously used in war and everything else.
Speaker 9: You know, at Pelvis we we had the ira the the Irish Republican Army who were blown up you know, houses and places that were Protestant in Ireland.
Speaker 2: So right, you know, that doesn't justify what what the whack job Muslims have done, you know what isis and all of that has done. But there are a lot of people who happen to be Islamic who are really decent kind people, I mean, right, and.
Speaker 7: Get back in the day, like like Kiash, you know what I mean, back in the day. I'm old, so I'm forty five, so I remember David Koresh and you know, the whole Waco thing and all that, and it becomes like a like a mind f you know, like you're people can be controlled by. It is like whatever, I know what you're saying. I got you good, good deal for everybody who believes, and and you know, congrats on that. So I'll leave you on.
Speaker 2: That good conversation. Should Thanks, Thanks, talk to you soon. Let's keep rolling here, going to go to Paul and endover. Paul going to get you in here before the break or red head Paul, Hi.
Speaker 10: Dan, thanks for taking my call. I'm thrilled that we have an American pope, particularly because I think one of the things that has made America great has been Christian values.
Speaker 2: I call it. I call it, by the way, Judeo Christian values, just so you know, because I think that Judeo Christian values come you know, from from the same experience in my.
Speaker 10: Opinion, yes, and it's just you know, things like you know, we live in a country where for the most part, we live without walls around our house, and then you go to other countries and they're there. They got walls around the house. We trust the banking system. We trust that stockbrokers trust if you call make an order, uh, that you're going to follow through. And so you know, you know, things like the Ten Commandments, and so my my hope that within America and they're as pope, that he will foster those values of things like the Ten Commandments and.
Speaker 6: Around the world.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: I'm eighty two and and I went to you know, parochial schools and the Catholic university and.
Speaker 2: Which one which Catholic University.
Speaker 10: I went to school in Nova Scotia at a place called Saint Francis David University.
Speaker 2: Oh great, okay, we have a lot of listeners up in Nova Scotia. I wouldn't have been surprised. We heard from some of them tonight. That's good to know.
Speaker 10: Yeah. So, but we we had to go through retreats and the discip when of uh Catholicism while while I was there. So it was just a you know, and I think back to that those times, and I had priests and nuns as college professors, and they were uh, very strong in their subject matter and and compare it to you know, I went to a graduate school here in the United States, and but it was just a totally different environment. And and I appreciate all of the the education I got from them, you know, things as simple as you know, going to church every week, going to confession every week, getting dressed in a tie to go to school.
Speaker 2: I hear you. By the way, remember this, you got the Ten Commandments. You find it both in the Old and the New Testament. And that's why I say when I say, you know, the day of christian eth I think it's you know, Judaism turns into uh, you know, Christianity flows out of Judaism. And I don't want to get into big theology here, but I think that we're lucky. We live in a society that is based upon religions great the world. Two of the world's great religions, Judaism and Christianity. Absolutely, all right, thank you, my friend, Paul. Nice nice talk with I hope you call more often. I don't think you're a regular call yet, got to call more often, Okay.
Speaker 6: Right, all right, great, And I enjoy your program a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, appreciate that I do. I enjoyed your call. Thanks much. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. There's just one line there in six, one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. It's ten thirty, so we're we're continuing to talk about this. Uh. If you want to light these lines up, I can get you in. We can do it by midnight and we can get to uh to Joe Biden tomorrow. Joe Biden was on the View today. It was really it was sad to watch. I don't know if any of you watched that, but it was really sad to watch. You know, the the the people there there were, there were no tough questions. It was it was I mean, if I'm Joe Biden, have some dignity and go make some speeches at universities. But to put yourself out on daytime television. I don't know if there's something about it that that didn't strike me correctly, but but hey, I'm not Joe Biden. We'll be back on Nightside right after the break.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: But let's keep rolling, head, get back to the phone. Is going to go to my Christine and ddhim. Christine, welcome back, how are.
Speaker 8: You, thank you?
Speaker 11: How are you?
Speaker 2: There were a great interesting day to day It was.
Speaker 11: It really was. I was so happy to see that, and you know, to hear I'm just hoping now just we'll turn the churches around in the country around.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, I'm not sure that, but it may have a positive impact. I think. I think the Catholic Church has kind of dug themselves into a hole with the whole priest abuse scandal. I think the way that they handled it was horrible. Uh. It impacted a lot of people, including me, And I don't know if it impacted you or not, but I think they got to come back, you know, one step at a time. Uh. And maybe this is a right step and the maybe this is a step in the right direction.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are you someone goes to church regularly or no?
Speaker 11: I do. I was always brought up to go to church regularly. My parents instilled that in May and my grandparents always always remained with the church and always go to church.
Speaker 2: Well, it's going to be interesting. It's going to be interesting to see if a church attendance this weekend is up or the same, because I would think that if there's a ever going to be a boost in the American church attendance. You see some of it this weekend, I would think, but we'll see. It doesn't mean that there'll be an increase at every church, but I would think that some people might say, hey, American pope, let me let me go back and give it a try.
Speaker 11: So, yeah, yeah, I go to Less Rocks.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, absolutely, I go to I go to Holy Names just up the street. Yeah yeah. So, uh, that's that's the most the most convenient one in terms of the schedule, that that that I can find. And uh, it's tough to get to Saint Teresa's because you're gonna drive all the way down Center Street and now it's become it's it's almost impassable. You need to you need to have a passport. That street has just become virtually It's true. But they needed more bike lanes on that street, Christine than no one to get through. Hey, great to hear your voice. Did you watch it live today? Were you watching live?
Speaker 11: I did? I watched it. As soon as they said that they had they had reached that they had agreed with somebody.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, once they saw the white smote, they knew that it would take about an hour and then there he was an American. Never thought i'd seen in my lifetime. But hey, it's been a lot of things I never thought had seen in my lifetime. But this is a positive I think. Thank you. I'm so happy, Christine, thank you very much. You sound happy to talk Sesson. All right, good bye, I got roof for a couple more six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We had two really strong hours. Let's finish strong. Let me go to Will in Long Island. Will, how are you, sir?
Speaker 6: I am a little shocked, honestly, you know, an American pope. I mean, it's odd to me considering our secularism. You know, I understand this is kind of a Christian Gudo founded nation, but you know, I was raised Catholic. I go to cal and Christian churches. I'm more of a Deist, not that I get my you know, my politics are based on our founding fathers, not that I get my spirituality from there. But a lot of them were deists.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: The Catholic Church to me was always you know, there were some things in the rituals, in the extracommunicado and the history of the church that kind of always put me off a little bit. And growing up Irish Catholic and Italian Catholic. You know, I still try to find my way back to any church that has Christian you know, roots. But I was a little shocked at an American pope, considering that this is like a secular nation where you know, we we do have sixty million Catholics, but we are only twenty percent Catholic, when South American countries, like where my wife is from in Colombia, is like ninety nine percent Catholic.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I also think that.
Speaker 6: There may be a little politicism to this, because you have an anti open border president and I don't know what this pope, if he'll have any political aspects, but popes, especially the last one, have been more open border and you know, preached the type of tolerance that you would expect a man of God to preach, right, because there's a place for that in our world. We need that, right. But I think that there may be some conflicts here with an American pope and a president that might not be seen by the Church in particular, especially the Vatican, as being all too welcoming.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you I disagree with you, and the reason I disagree with you is. I think that the US position of this is eminently defensible because if there was an invasion of just hundreds of migrants into the Vatican, into the into the the buildings of the Vatican, I guarantee you that they would be escorted out.
Speaker 6: Uh, then we have a giant wall, have a giant wall.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, No, exactly, but still they're there. But yeah, we're they They opened that, they open it up every day. I think there's a whole different attitude. You know, we have the Statue of liberty. We welcome the people who are the poor and uh, and the dispossessed and and the people who are in need and all of that. But even when Ellis Island was going, we turned away people who were infected with tuberculosis and other diseases, and.
Speaker 6: We turned as we turned away, you know, jees, the Holocaust.
Speaker 2: Yes we did, which we did, which was wrong, this the ship the Saint Louis. Absolutely we incarcerated Japanese Americans, which was a huge overreaction, unjustified overreaction. But having not lived in that moment in time, god knows what people were thinking. However, having lived in the time of unbridled open borders, immigration. We see what happened. It was a mistake. It never should have happened. A country that doesn't have borders doesn't have a country. And I think that I'm not you and I but I would sit with the Pope. And if I were Donald Trump, I think Donald Trump could sit with the Pope and say, look, you know, we welcome people, we take in more. I want us to take in more legal immigrants. I want us to we only take in we only naturalize about a million people a year. We're three hundred and thirty million people. We have a birth rate that is less than I think it's one point six percent.
Speaker 6: You know, pointing out the yeah, pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the recent position of the vat again is you know, obvious. But we also have the bad in and Catholic churches in particular, and Catholic charities that were funding and getting funding for a lot of the relocation of the migrants. All of this, in my opinions, tied together. But one more thing, just real.
Speaker 2: Quickly, many I want to make sure that I'm what you're saying. Catholic charities wasn't funding it. Catholic charities were being paid by US tax doll right to house rights.
Speaker 5: Getting it fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, but I'm saying Catholic Charities was benefited.
Speaker 6: Benefited, right, So that's what I'm saying, getting a vested They had a vested interest in the in these illegal immigrants coming in and then getting money from our government to help relocate them and put them up and put them here and move them there. And there's a lot of things going on in there that our side that we're on is the immigration uh you know system would not be happy with. Okay, And then just one more thing before I go. I don't want to rub it in because a lot of you know, your your your fans over there, they know me and I love both. But like, first off, not to have a pope from New York or Boston was shocking to me. But it's going to be American and the other thing. Sorry about you know where the Celtics are going so far, but let's go next. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Then it's a seven game series? Am I correct on that?
Speaker 6: But it feels pretty good right now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Don't get over confident. Oh you know, you may win, but wait until you win to really gloat.
Speaker 6: Okay, because I know I've watched many of Boston take down the Knicks. Over is my lifetime.
Speaker 2: I get it. I understand position here. But I'll tell you if just remember, as I think the two thousand and four Red Sox said in one of the games, I think it was Game four, don't let us win this game.
Speaker 6: Well, I was a Met fan. I'm a Met fan.
Speaker 3: I was rooting for you guys.
Speaker 6: I'm a Met fan.
Speaker 2: I was like, go ahead, I understand, I understand the internecine warfare of in New York City. All I would say to you is this, uh, that Game three is a pretty important game, and if don't let you be twin, don't let the sap. That's my warning to you. Okay, Oh, we plan on it.
Speaker 6: I'm hoping. I mean, you guys seem to blow those twenty point leads pretty good, so we're kind of hoping that that happens again, a little collapse.
Speaker 2: We'll say, we'll see. You know, we're we're certainly the underdog here, so let's see what happens. And again, I'm not a huge I'm not a huge basketball expert. I have friends who played the game friends who played in the NBA, But I'm much more of a baseball and a hockey.
Speaker 6: This is the only time I can enjoy the rivalry with Boston because this is the only because in baseball my greatest memory. To be honest, I know it hurts, and Bill Buckton seems like a great guy. But the Bill Bonden play is like when as a metman, that's just like I mean, it was I'm ten years old in nineteen eighty six. It was like the greatest thing that ever happened to us and led to a Game seven that we won. We won the World Series. So I have nothing but love for Boston, you know what I mean, until we get on that court down at the at the at the guard and then then it's a different ball game.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see what happens. Thanks, Thanks, will go in here. Okay, I go one lineup. I got Johann or Johan in Richmond, Virginia. Looking forward to talking to Johan. I'll get to you right after the break. My friend and I got some lines open here. The lines have been crazy busy all night. If you have tried to get in dialing now and I can get you in under the Wire six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Uh, we won't be going back to this tomorrow night. We've done three hours on it tonight, almost three hours. I'm very happy we did. I think this is a tremendous story and it's a good story. Uh, there's not a whole lot of controversy about it, but and very really do we do three hours normally we're doing three hours. We do controversial stories. Feel free to add your voice. I think it was a great day for the Vatican. It was a smart move by the College of Cardinals, and I think it was a great day for the Night States to finally have a pope from America, from the United States of America in the Vaticant. We'll be back on Nightside right after the break.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w BZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got a bunch of people and go to Johann or Johann in Richmond, Virginia. Johan, welcome, how are you very good?
Speaker 5: Thank you, it's a pleasure to talking to you. I was driving today. I had an unscheduled travel to Baltimore and anyway, I was profound your radio station. I certainly enjoyed the programming, and more importantly, I really appreciated how you were interacting with your guests, and thank you certainly as one of the reasons that motivated me to call. And then put I guess throw in my little two cents.
Speaker 2: Go right ahead, your first time call, and we're going to give you a quick round of applause if you don't mind. We had a virtual studio audience, digital audience. Here, come on, let's go, Brian. You know where that button is. Go right ahead, my producer, mister go ahead.
Speaker 5: Johan, Well, thank you very much, and thank you for making me feel welcome. I wanted to mention I'm originally from South Africa. I migrated to as a little boy. I always was fascinated with Americans. I found that I found myself in the mornings three four o'clock in the mornings watching football games, baseball games and enjoyed it. I've also loved the fact that one of the things that drew me to America was Americans were always people that ran to problems and not away from them. And that's one of the things that I said to myself one day when I go up, I'm gonna this is a little boy saying this. Now, I'm going to go to this amazing place where people go and solve problems, run to it and away from it. And then I obviously talking about the new pope, and to tie that into all of this, it sounds like he hasn't had an amazing uh uh life in the in the faith, has also been drawn to missionary work and running to problems and not away from him. So I'm really looking forward to all the wonderful work that he's going to be doing.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm not a Catholic, but my kids were raised in the Catholic faith, and the Catholic organization has been very kind to my family and very good to us. Is so obviously have a deep respect and and and love for them. Obviously have seen the problems that has been created over time. And I'm not going to harp on on the negative stuff, but the positive is I see a lot of folks tonight and listen to a lot of folks that is so very excited about the pope being an American pope, and then that it seems like it's definitely affecting them, just like it affected me now that I'm a citizen of the United States.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad first, I'm glad you. I'm glad you're a citizen. I'm glad you're listening, Johan or Johann, and please continue to listen. I got a couple of other callers who want to sneak in here under the wire, but I hope you will become a regular listener. We're ten thirty on your AM dial lock us in. We've heard all over the eastern half of the US, and I'd love to have you as a regular listener and caller.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate it, and thank you. And maybe somebody should tell the Pope the lines for the real IDs. He's very long. He's gonna that one yet he doesn't have to worry.
Speaker 2: About that one. Thanks Johan, we'll talk again. I hope, Thank you, Thank you, Pleasure, pleasure. Let me go, Robert, I got you, Tim and Dawn. Robert, go ahead, gotta be quick for me, buddy. Robert in New Brunswick, Canada.
Speaker 8: We talked briefly ten days ago or so. I'm gonna say very briefly, I'm a product from I'm going to give a bit of a positive pr for Catholics. That's not a well known story. Okay, go ahead, the Bath, the Bath priests that started the Mondragone Cooperative in the Basque region of Spain. Okay, that that area was devastated after the war, after the Spanish Civil War, and that guy created the cooperative that's literally like the most important industrial component of the Spanish economy. I'm not sure if they're still running, but they were very significant, uh, aspect of that society rebuilding like from from it was a completely destroyed area. Good And no people would research this because all you're getting is negativity. Negativity, And I'm a talk and trying to tell you people, tough people as much as possible got it's not all doom and goom. There's a lot of good things have been done by Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: And all right, Robert Robin, we know that I hate I hate to break you here, but but I thank you for the comments. I want to get one more in before the break. Please, thank you very much, Robert, appreciate it. Let me go to Tim and fox Brough. Tim, go right ahead, gotta be quick from me. We were running out of time.
Speaker 5: Dan, I'm very very happy with the selection of the American Pope. My big thing. I talked to you a month so ago.
Speaker 6: I still want an investigation on the on the Biden coop that took him out.
Speaker 2: We'll leave that for another night, all right, Thanks man. I think I'm flat out of time. What do I got left here? Brian? How much? Okay I got? I'm done. I'm done, Tim, Sorry man, thank you shouldn't have even taking it. Thank you much to down in New York. I apologize, Brian. Great job, I'm Marie, a great job. I'll see you guys on Facebook in a moment. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my peal Charlie raised who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's all your pets are who passed. They love you and you love them. You'll see them again. Congratulations of the Pope. Have a great Friday everyone. We'll see themorrow night. Thank you very much.