Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of June twenty third, we are continuing with Lost season three, episode four, every Man for Himself, which is a Sawyer flashback episode. Predictably, we want Sawyer once again thinking only of him and taking advantage of poor Ian Gomez. Hi, I and Gomez. Nice to see my old friend from Cougartown Days.
Speaker 3: A fellow prisoner. Yeah, it is a new hairstyle for Sawyer that we haven't seen before. It's a little half up, half down ponytail.
Speaker 1: Yes, these things are important, but so it shows him basically being the Sawyer we have known all along. We find out I guess that he maybe has a daughter, which he is both saying to the child's mother, it's not my daughter, and then you know, leaving a bunch of ill gotten gains for her any bank account that presumably somebody at some point will tell her she has. But right, And then meanwhile in lost Land, Ben Ben place some mind games. He's having himself a good time playing mind games with Sawyer and Sawyer being I mean, I guess you would have no reason not to think that he was doing to you exactly what he said he was doing to you. But Sawyer hasn't had that much contact with Ben previous to as he hasn't he wasn't in the hatch chatting them up. Yeah, so perhaps he's unfamiliar with the man's work. But those of us watching at home are going, your heart's not going to explode. Man, he's playing you. Yeah, but supposedly inserts a pacemaker like item in Sawyer's heart that his heart rate goes up above a certain level, like if he's fighting or escaping or you know, making time with Kate, watching Kate will his heart will explode and he buys this hook line and sinker, which, Okay, it's a stressful time. His instincts aren't at the top of their game. But he is a con man, like doesn't recognize like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to.
Speaker 1: Want to ask some more questions about this. It seems like an impractical thing under the circumstances. But in the end, you know, Ben comes clean and just sort of humiliates him in a variety of ways. Yeah, and you know, really sorry for Sawyer.
Speaker 3: Ben, didn't you know, let Sawyer dangle for very long? I mean he no, He told him like the next day, probably because his heart rate was going to go over that that number it was at any point and then so it'd be like, oh, look it's still here. I'm still here. So I guess that was all a big scam.
Speaker 1: He wanted to take the advantage of, you know, you wanted to take the opportunity to humiliate him without it happening just independently, right and smack him in the face. With an excerpt from of Mice and Men. After Sawyer was acting all haughty about.
Speaker 3: It, so we have known, sorry to be quite the reader, the avid reader.
Speaker 1: He'll read whatever he got right, But apparently those pages that Ben quoted back at.
Speaker 3: Him he missed.
Speaker 1: Yes, and uh, let's see we have some impromptu island surgery which is unsuccessful, right because there's no crash car. Jack being a professional expected that in this island hospital and there would be all the latest equivalent under the crash car. What do you mean this?
Speaker 3: Like, oh, yeah, this is where we do life saving surgery.
Speaker 1: I'm used to a better kind of set up here. What are you guys doing? And Juliet Is is doing surgery though she is a fertility specialist, which you know. She's like, I'm going to lose their license Island hospital.
Speaker 3: She's I'm not used to lost. I think there's a lot of loss in fertility.
Speaker 1: That's true, Yes.
Speaker 3: I mean does this mean that like a pregnancy loss is I don't know like that that was like.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's your name as your friend dying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you say you're a pediatrician or so, I don't know, like, yeah, that's true. It was a weird like that.
Speaker 1: I guess it's viscerally different, right, It's about like, you know, somebody's hard is in your hands and dying.
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: But uh? And then Jack notices that there's evidence of somebody with a giant spinal tumor and he just has to be a spinal surgeon. And he's starting to put two and two together a little better than faster than Sawyer did. Yes, that he is there for a reason. So who do we think? But we know at this point, I feel like it's been I mean, that was just I guess I believe it is too, So you know, maybe we should get to that plot because it seems a lot more interesting. Though. Are we just going to torture Sawyer for another week or two? Or are we going to get down to it people? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, are we going to keep alternating between the beach Castaways and this island where Jack and Sawyer and Kada, which we learned by the end of the episode is a separate island from someone that I thought they were on.
Speaker 1: So we needed here was another island, We.
Speaker 3: Needed, more characters. We needed that's l.
Speaker 1: Pallo is golfing by the sea high Man. We don't have no idea who you are, but you suddenly seem to be around.
Speaker 3: He doesn't take kindly to Desmond's golf tips. But of course Desmond turned out to be right.
Speaker 1: Assertion of these characters is so clumsy. I at the time, watching it the first time, I didn't know that necessarily they were being inserted in this way, but man, right they could like, I don't know, it just seems ridiculous that we're talking to this guy on the beach. So Desmond is puttering around.
Speaker 3: And just happened to put up a lightning rod right next to Claire's tent, right before a lightning struck.
Speaker 1: After previously telling her you might want to move down the beach, right and she didn't listen. Well, you might want to repair your roof, and she didn't listen. And he's like, okay, well fine, you're gonna get wet, and I'm gonna put this here so you don't get fried. So the question is he still singing into the future? Yes? It would appear so, yes, And according to los Pedia, this showed him both that he was accurately seeing into the future and that he could do something about it. It would be an interesting feeling, right.
Speaker 3: So, also, by the way, speaking, shall we note that there's a wood chipper and a chainsaw happening outside my window. Okay, it is not. It is not you know, island construction. It is happening.
Speaker 1: And I would not all be surprised to find a wood chipper and a chainsaw over on otherville.
Speaker 3: Yes. So although they just used manual like take this rock and move it, that's true from here to there, like the classic you know, prisoner job is absolutely meaningless. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this, this woman who died was the one that Sun shot, right, So that was no repercussions from that.
Speaker 3: That could not save because too late.
Speaker 1: So she was shot and then she was put in a submarine and and she was brought over land to this uh you know, rudimentary surgery and she was still alive. That's pretty impressive, right, Maybe Son's not as good a shot as with them, but it's close range, as I recall, Yes, I would, I would sort of think she would not have made the submarine ride. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and once again we haven't we have like three groups and three locations because we haven't now seen Sun and engine and SAYID for a week or so.
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't, right, where are they there's there trudging?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Are they on the right island?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, no, if they had to take a submarine to get her to the uh you know, hospitals r US, then yeah, they must be on the right island, right, making their taking their time right, strolling in a leisurely fashion. I don't think any of them wire.
Speaker 3: That's right. Oh, we need to find some some parenting lessons within this this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, what exactly the whole uh bit of I mean, Sawyer and Kate do not seem to realize yet, although both of them have reason to be hyper suspicious of their surroundings, but neither of them has copped to the fact that there are cameras on you and they are watching you all the time. They are listening to every one of your conversations. So maybe don't plot escapes and you know, electrocutions out loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sort of reminds me of kids never really having privacy, right that mom is, Mom, can hear what you're saying in your room? Mom? Can? Mom has maybe put a baby monitor up for that purpose. You think that you are plotting something all by yourself, but people are hearing you and writting on you school. People are telling your parents what happened at school. You never really can get away with stuff, and yet you are so confident that you can yes, And then as a parent you have to say, do I, you know, expose my knowledge or do I just find a way. That's hard sometimes because you want you want to keep the channels open, but at the same time you want to be able to spring the trap. So it's all it's all a big Other Island experience playing mind games. You know, suggest you trying to use the power of suggestion to get people to do things without coming right out and doing it.
Speaker 3: Hopefully not playing one child against the other.
Speaker 1: No, we do we do you avoid that impossible? So yeah, every time you do things like this and you will get a little bit of satisfaction of it. Think about your Ben in this scenario.
Speaker 3: He's not the good guy.
Speaker 1: He's not the not the good guy. He's a little thing of the importance of reading. You know, it's good to know your literary references right right.
Speaker 3: And also going back to the Castaways, you know, preventative maintenance, yes, whether it's like actual maintenance on your home, but it's also like you know, predicting where things are going to go, like, oh, if I do this, then then that will possibly be the result, So let me see how I can influence this in the way that I needed to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, as a parent, you're always thinking three steps ahead of all the things that could go wrong, and you're running around being Desmond and your kids are being Claire, going eh, yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: What's the big deal. I've been living just fine under this scrap of harp for weeks and weeks now it's fine.
Speaker 1: Who asked you? And so the times when, like Desmond, you are proven right and the things that you have done, you know, on your own to prevent things are successful, that is such a good feeling. It's like, yep see, yep see, I know things I can see into the future.
Speaker 3: You can live with that satisfaction for quite some time.
Speaker 1: It sustains us absolute And will they listen the next time? No, no, they will not. He could only explain, well, see, when the hatch imploded, I gained the ability to see the future. But people are gonna nod and back slowly away, like Hurley.
Speaker 3: Is doing every time he encounters to husband. You know, first he was just all naked and yeah, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: He looks remarkably healthy, though in this episode, you know, he's well dressed, he's looks like maybe he got some conditioner that hair, and you know, he's he looks like just a normal castaway trying to blend in. He could be Pallo, you know, he could be just some guy that we had not seen before, right, and now here he is right looking handsome. But no, then he has to go and you know, see the future.
Speaker 3: Right, But at least he protected Claire and Aaron and even Charlie.
Speaker 1: Even Charlie, he did not. Charlie possibly did.
Speaker 3: Not deserve it exactly. He may not have deserved it, and he certainly didn't appreciate it in the way that he should have.
Speaker 1: Charlie is like the most territorial dude over somebody who you have no really right to be territorial over. Holy cow, is antenna twitches when anybody comes within five feet of Claire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's never been like formerly sort of established like okay, we're kind of back.
Speaker 1: You know, she's tolerating him. Yeah, for a while there she stopped, and now she's doing it. She is tolerating him again. But yeah, there's no evidence that it's anything more than that. It's like I have to have some dude here apparently, so, but there was a there was a moment when Kate and Sawyer are in their cages and the others all come out with some guy with a bag over his head, and they immediately know it's Jack, which I guess there's three of them. If there's another prisoner, it's probably Jack. But I was thinking it was because of his tattoos, which were showing, right, so they have to subtly point out, did you notice jackass tattoos?
Speaker 3: Do you notice?
Speaker 1: They want us to notice? So I guess they can say that Kate and Sawyer have noticed also, and it's like, yeah, guy about his height, with those tattoos, it's gotta be Jack.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And they turned on like the sort of all these sirens and made all this noise. So yes, they could talk to him, like again, sounds like sounds like a giveaway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wellly you could, you know, if you if you wanted to impress on people that your kid was in trouble, your kid was doing something, you know, walk with the bag over the head, walk them through, walk them past. Look that's gonna happen to you if you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cautionary tape.
Speaker 1: Bad bad parenting strategy. There are others. Yeah, it's not gonna hand Nope, nope. And Kate did the equivalent of the teenage girl climbing out the window. You know, how can they possibly get out of the cage. It's impossible to get out of the cage. Oh wait, you can just lift this thing and get out of the tree and then then crawl back.
Speaker 3: In, because.
Speaker 1: Is there an oak tree there for you to climb down? I believe that's the traditional thing, when you climb out the window and then climb back in. Well, that stayed by your guy.
Speaker 3: Well for once. He he was telling her to do the right thing or what was necessary in that scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but as we know now, even if she'd gotten out and run away, unless she could swim really amazingly well or find the submarine, it pretty much stuck.
Speaker 3: Although I wouldn't put it past her to be like submarine. Okay, I'm gonna figure out how to drive this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go, Daddy, Chevy's in the driveway. I'm getting out of here. I guess stuff happened in this that will pay off in future episodes. But the flashbacks are just we need to we need to move on. These flashbacks, I mean giving rate of Hey, do you know Sawyer's a con man?
Speaker 3: They're just giving us the tiniest drop of information, you know, like, oh, he's got it, he's got a daughter.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and also he will stab you in the back, even if you are kind of a dummy, flubby guy like I Gomez. So yeah, kind of been there, done that, I think, right, But okay, what I really want to know is what's the deal with Nikki and Palin?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I can't wait to find out about those two.
Speaker 1: Dear or or you know how a fertility specialist winds up on the island doing whatever sort of doctory things they need, which we will get some of an episode seven, so not too far away.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, and that's They do seem to be kind of obsessed with children and babies.
Speaker 1: So that's true.
Speaker 3: So that's true. Could be connected.
Speaker 1: That's probably why. But how you know, if could we take a break from the big three for a while and or four including lock, can we get just like we get it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Moving along, but I guess they have. They're stuck there. They got all the time in the world. Before we tell you something else, you want to know.
Speaker 3: We'll circle back around took to Sawyer being a con man and Kate being a fugitive and Jack being a mess.
Speaker 1: And Locke being a sad sad.
Speaker 3: Ye there going four. That's all cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can't get enough of that. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season three, episode five of Lost, the Cost of Living, which is I am happy to report an echo flashback episode.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you know how much with a drug dealer?
Speaker 1: What's going on with that? Yeah? Did you know? He's a drug dealer and he had a brother who was a priest and you know, caused his death and it was very traumatic. Let's look at that again, shall we, And then we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Duster. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 3: You can also talk to.
Speaker 2: Us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the year.
Speaker 3: Independ