Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company hour number two here on a Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully everybody had had themselves a good holiday weekend. We now have week one of the college football season in the books, and I'm not sure we learned really much of anything about the local teams here, but that's what you'd expect. I mean, Louisville took on an FCS opponent in Austin p and did exactly what you're supposed to do, win sixty two to nothing. As for Kentucky, you know, they dominated a Southern miss team until the weather and mother nature decided that it was over. And you know, Tugie, by the way, we haven't talked about it yet. We probably won't much the rest of the way today. But they've got a big game against South Carolina only because like if they're gonna, you know, their schedule is very challenging this year in the SEC, and that's when they like kind of got to win, right, Like if they're gonna have a season where they're you know, getting north of six wins, which is I'm sure what they're aiming for. South Carolina's one they got to get and South Carolina's had their number for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: A's for Louisville.
Speaker 2: They've got another game against you know, an opponent that you hope doesn't provide much of a challenge in Jacksonville State, but still plenty to react to from the weekend elsewhere against some good games, some marquee matchups. In Week one, I know, I was highly entertained with just about everything when it comes to college football, and joining us now to discuss that is the one the only mister, Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot com, how was your Week one experience in college football? My man?
Speaker 4: It was a fantastic The games were I mean the games were good, not great for the most part, but it was college football and basically a forty weekend.
Speaker 5: What more can you ask for?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was gonna do like the the typical sports radio stuff like biggest winners, biggest losers from the weekend, I mean when it comes to the loser, I mean it's it's Florida State, not only this weekend, but last weekend as well. Can you think of a comparable situation, like everybody is pointing and laughing at Florida State in a way that I really can't. I can't think of any other program that's been in a situation quite like this, going back to December where they sue their conference because they're you know, they're bitter. They claim the league's holding them back, they get left out of the playoff, and you know, now they come out and start zero to two, and you know, I mean, they're easily the biggest disappointment of the season thus far.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I can't point to Obviously, there's there's no parallel to I mean, there was unprecedented and getting left out of the playoff and this acc stuff is unprecedented. But as as far as like on the field stuff, I believe there was a I think it was like two thousand and one Alabama. Maybe I'm wrong here. I think it was two thousand and one. Alabama started the year top ten and they did three and eight. I think that's the only parallel to what we've seen so far. And I don't think Florida State's gonna end up going four and eight. But as far as a top ten start.
Speaker 5: To just completely falling off the map.
Speaker 4: And obviously this is just a bad not that were ranked them ten and they're actually, you know, twenty five. It's like we ranked them ten and they're not even good at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, could anybody have seen this coming?
Speaker 3: Is this?
Speaker 2: Is this just them thinking they were going to be in good hands with a quarterback like dju. I mean, they did lose a lot off of a good team that put dudes in the NFL, But I mean like this, I mean, there's a chance that you mentioned they're not going to be four and eight, but I mean, like last night, they just got their ass whooped. I mean, it didn't really looked as if they were. You know, you would have never if you didn't know anything about Florida State previously as far as last year and what their expectations were. I don't think any if you just looked at those two teams and didn't know their record or name or anything like that, Boston Colleges looked like the better team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Florida State.
Speaker 4: Became the team we saw last year because they had really good wide receivers, they had a really good quarterback, and they had an extremely strong defensive line and all those positions seem.
Speaker 5: Negative at best.
Speaker 4: The Florida State d line, I mean, poor Pete Thammill went on ESPN before the first game and said that the scouts told him this is the best defensive line in the country, and they were getting run over by Boston College after getting run over by Georgia Tech DJU obviously, I mean I was closer to I mean I was watching that game thinking at different points, like you can't put him back out there, like he's destroying the team, is destroying himself. And then the very next drive they didn't score, but he put two passes right on the money and the tight end dropped it. So it was an all hands on deck failure for the Knowles.
Speaker 2: So of the other big matchups, was there a result that maybe surprised you more than others? I mean, I think everybody expected some of the games to be close, but Notre Dame did pull up, you know, did go down and win at Texas A and M. Despite being underdogs. LU wasn't able to hold on a big win for Lincoln Riley to get things started. I mean, of the other matchups, what what stepped out to you more maybe than others as far as a result you didn't expect.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have to say the biggest result I didn't expect was I had Wyoming beating Arizona State outright, and I was only forty two points off.
Speaker 3: Close.
Speaker 2: You were close, brother, I mean.
Speaker 4: So Arizona State in terms of weight class was it was the biggest in totality.
Speaker 5: Was the biggest surprise.
Speaker 4: I had Oklahoma State losing outright to South Dakota State. That was a mistake. They won that game pretty easily. As far as the big games, I had Miami beating Florida, but I did not have Miami embarrassing Florida on its own field.
Speaker 5: And that's another.
Speaker 4: It's it's these two I guess it's one week and these two Floord State games have showed that.
Speaker 5: I mean, we're in an age where.
Speaker 4: Teams are just filling unless you have a generational type guy at quarterback.
Speaker 5: Teams aren't usually willing.
Speaker 4: To wait out a struggling freshman or sophomore year from quarterbacks anymore. They go out and get the next best portal guy and they're just willing to live in the poral at that position.
Speaker 5: And it shows how much you can live and die.
Speaker 4: By who you select at that position, and who you go out and purchase at that position.
Speaker 5: I mean, if kam Award's playing for.
Speaker 4: Ford State, Florida State's probably two to zer right now. And if dju is playing for Miami, they probably lose that game in Florida.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm with you, and you know you have I mean, coaches are in a tough spots. No coach wants to be young, right, I mean I don't know, because why would you, And now you don't have to. You can be experienced and you can now have guys who stick around and play six seven years in certain instances, so you know, the portal has made it to you don't have to sit out. You have to wait on a guy and think, okay, well, hey it's his turn. We'll see what he can do. You know, you may give that guy an option, but then again you're gonna know, hey, I can go to the portal. Get a guy who's won his job three years at a lower level. Maybe he's going to be good enough to do it here, like Miller Moss at USC like it's a guy who waited for years behind really really good quarterbacks and Lincoln Riley. You know, I don't know if it's what he saw in the bowl game last year where Miller mass shredded Louisville. But you know that what we saw with Miller Moss, I feel like that's going to become really really rare, is it not.
Speaker 4: I already it was extremely rare to face off against a guy who is largely I mean, ESPN did a great job showing the graphic of these are guys who waited their turn and then got cut in line by portal guys that went on to win the Heisman, and they still stuck around and both of them played really well. And I think one thing this season has shown, if we're just looking at Florida State is that was a program that was built largely by a portal. But at the same time, it's not like guys were just swooping in in Florida State was immediately going thirteen to no.
Speaker 5: I understand they had some new.
Speaker 4: Guys last year, but most of those guys, I mean, especially Jordan Travis, as you well know, was a technically a transfer, but he spent what four years at Florida State after Louisville, so technically he was a transfer, but really he was a guy that Florida State developed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not in the sense you see a transfer quarterback at a big time school now, usually it's hey, you know, they rented him for a year, like you know, like a lot of schools are doing now. But it's just I don't know, like if like, for example, not that you're plugged in and give a damn about what's going on at louis But there's a good example here. They've got a kid named Pierce Clarkson who has been waiting and he's a red shirt freshman this year. He got some reps last year. You know, he's the backup right now, and I think the hope is that he takes advantage of opportunities to play when Louisville's beating a Jacksonville State and beating an Austin p maybe beating a Virginia and he doesn't get you know. I mean, it's experienced, but it's not the same thing as being a starter and going out there and trying to win the game. You're in the game because it's mop up, dude. But I justo, if I'm Jeff Brohm'm thinking, Okay, I've seen enough from this kid. I really do like him. But then again, I know what's in the portal, and it'd be hard for me not to just know, Hey, I could probably go get another you know, big name guy. I could probably go get another quarterback. Coaches choosing to not go to the port unless your name's Debo Sweeney, I just feel like it's gonna be really, really rare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's the ultimate push pull that coaches. I mean, this is this question right here is going to make or break so many coaches. Is obviously, you can't just live in the portal. You have to the portal should be a supplement to your high school recruiting. But at the same time, how many guys have that equity in their jobs.
Speaker 5: Where if you go eight and four, can you survive.
Speaker 4: A five and seven season while you build up and develop your high school guys, or do you feel the need to, well, if I need to win at least seven games next year, to go get some portal guys, And then you're you leads, you.
Speaker 5: Sin and in your depth, and.
Speaker 4: You you're constantly just trying to refill what you're You're Robin Peter to pay Paul. Sure, at that point, I I don't have the answer to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I I think it's going to become an annual thing. When you get to the end of the season, these coaches are going to say, well, I need a few good men. Let me look at this portal and see who can come and save my career. Because that's how that's how desperate I needed. So there's you know, when that didn't exist, it would be much more unlikely for a guy to have a big, out of nowhere special season. But with the portal, again, you you take risks. You never really know what you're gonna get, but there are the occasional finds to where it can it can it can create something special. So real quick on a couple of other big games, as far as you know big brands, these weren't. These weren't competitive games. But with Georgia and Clemson, it's impossible to know. But thirty four to three was the score. It was actually six to nothing at halftime. What did that's in your opinion? Did that say more about Georgia or more about Clemson.
Speaker 4: I think said more about Clemson, just for the fact that no one expected him to win the game. But they were two touchdown underdogs, which is obviously significant, and they weren't even I mean they lost by they didn't even cover the spread by what's seventeen points. Yeah, their offense they just had nothing. I mean, they could still be out there playing and Clemson win them scored a touchdown yet, And so every time I watch Clemson, they're asking kid Clubnick to do everything, and he's running for his life and has to make sixty decisions a game between the run game and the throw game, and he's often he's late.
Speaker 5: He didn't have a lot of huge windows to throw to.
Speaker 4: I remember the one throw on the corner route that was really nice that got them to midfield that I think that was as far as they penetrated until the second half. So I don't think Caid club Nick is great. But I also don't think he's got a whole lot of help on that side of the ball.
Speaker 5: And obviously it's.
Speaker 4: Been well documented Dabo has been negligent in getting him help.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask the same question, but about Miami in Florida, because I think with with with Florida. Obviously, Billion Napier has been discussed as a guy who has you know, I think odds said that he was the most likely to be the first Power five coach fired. I'm not sure if that's nded up happening or not, but let me let me rephrase, is it. Is it accurate to say that, despite all the talk and the heat surrounding Billion Napier, that his season actually has gotten off to a worse start than anybody would have expected, not only to get embarrassed at home by Miami, but then to come out and kind of criticize fans for their criticism, like, I feel like this guy's trying to lose his job, Zach.
Speaker 4: So I actually wrote about that today and I went back and watched the press conference, and in his very next sentence, he comes out and says that he understands that they're they're going to be criticized and that they're.
Speaker 5: That's part of the job.
Speaker 4: So I feel like that part of it was overblown, but the statement leading up to that was overlooked because he's ventured into Butcher Jones Champions of Life territory, where he's talking about they have great they have great character, they just need to work on the football part, Like that's kind of your entire job is to work on, quote quote the football.
Speaker 2: And those those are some of the last signs that it's over, is it not?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, as I wrote, he's ventured into these college football coaches are so powerful, but when they lose the plot, they become substitute teachers who have lost control of their eighth period class. And they say eventually gets clowned on and people start suiting them out. And that's happened very quickly for Napier after and again, it's not that they lost the game as an unranked team to a ranked opponent, it's that they got blown out.
Speaker 2: Have you published that yet?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to see it. I want to read it because I mean I find myself fascinated, not that I'm you know, getting great in enjoyment in somebody's downfall, but I think with billiy Napier again, like it is wild to me, and I watched it kind of play out here in basketball, where you can just when you follow a program close, you know, the little things you see, body language, mannerisms, the way coaches say things. You can kind of tell they like they kind of they probably won't let their mind acknowledge it, but they know it's over. And I kind of sense that that's the way things are going with billiy Napier. I know I asked you this last time we talked, but I got to ask again since we're talking about it. Who you calling? If you're the AD at Florida and you get rid of.
Speaker 5: Him, that's such a good question. I feel like.
Speaker 4: At this point this is never really a good answer. But they're in a weird situation where their interim president.
Speaker 5: Is also their previous president. The AD is the guy that hired him. The AD before him hired Dan Bullen.
Speaker 4: So usually when you fire your second coach that you've hired, you follow him out the door. Sure, in this situation, if that doesn't happen, and you kind of got to I mean, we're in such an age where you got to go to the money people and be like, who will you guys support because it does no one any good to go higher.
Speaker 5: You know, coach X if as soon as.
Speaker 4: You gets there, he's dead on arrival because the money for facilities and the money for players drives up.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got it, you kind of.
Speaker 4: If Scott Circling stays around, I think you've got a crowdsource your next hire.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's an elite job, right, Like actually let me ask you this again. I'm just throwing these rabid fire questions at you. Where would you rank that job in the sec?
Speaker 4: Below Georgia, below LSU, below Alabama? He's probably right there for in it it's it's very similar to the Texas job, and that people think it's easier than it is. I rate it below Oklahoma just the resources aren't there. But Oklahoma has a tradition of winning now, and I mean, we look at it's beginning to raise the question where Steve Spurry.
Speaker 5: Or Irban Meyer are just too all time.
Speaker 4: Great that happened to do what they did at Florida and no one else there to figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. They are close to where if one if another one just doesn't seem to take off. I think that, I mean, I'm sure that already is probably being said by a lot of people, but I hadn't thought about that, that it was really just two guys that really had it at its peak and others have kind of not only struggled to get there, but some have just had a really really tough time. I mean, I feel like more often than not, the Florida football programs since Urban Meyer when you're talking about it is that it's underwhelming and that they're going to need to make a change. Can they get back to where they were? And they haven't done that just yet. All right, one more question for you of the games here coming up in week two. Obviously, I know your Longhorns are involved in the biggest one Texas in Michigan. That should be a hell of a game. But outside of that, what do you make of a slate? I mean, you have much interest in the Tennessee and C State game, Colorado and Nebraska. Just curious if there's any games that stand out to you that you're really looking forward to watching, not that you're not going to enjoy all of it because you're a football guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Colorado Nebraska will be fun to watch, for sure. I'd like to see if Nebraska can keep it rolling. Colorado was very fortunate to beat North Dakota State and to now have to go on the road and play a team that should be better. That's gonna be interesting. And the Tennessee and C State doesn't do a whole lot for me. But I am interested in that South Carolina Kentucky game because I agree with what you were saying before I came on that people are now starting to circle South Carolina is like, this is the one we got to get. I mean, if you can't beat South Carolina, we're in trouble. And I know they've had trouble with him.
Speaker 5: I was just watching.
Speaker 4: Earlier today that the clips from the last time South Carolina was in Lexington and Shane was dancing and to make fun of Mark Stoops. This is a game where both sides are pointing at each other saying, if we can't beat these guys, we're in trouble. And those are always fun games because as we saw last week, someone's gotta lose that game and it's gonna be uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: All right, i'lled one more thing. I just want to open up and be honest with you because I consider you a friend, Zach. I have had to come to grips with the fact that I'm a hater. I I genuinely want nothing more than to see Dion Sanders fail, and he's not done anything to me. I don't care about Colorado football. Maybe this is me just being like a getting older, becoming like a crotchy old man who doesn't like flashy fun things like Deon Sanders, but it is consumed me, Zach, I want Colorado to lose every game in the rest of the season. I'm sure that's not going to happen, but I'm a hater. I just want you to know that, all right.
Speaker 5: They make themselves easy to hate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's not just the on it, it's sugar as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah you said it, I mean yeah, And and they're really good at it, you know what I mean? Like they they they're like even he telling them like, why do you care? Nick? Why do you know? They're in the They're in the big the big twelve. Now you're never gonna see him? And then I'm like, well, you know what, any little thing I see on social media, I'm like, yeah, those guys make it very easy. So I'm hopeful that Nebraska can can knock them up. But we shall see, Zach. I appreciate you making time for us. Keep up the great work, my friend, and we will talk soon, right, buddy?
Speaker 5: So good?
Speaker 2: All right? That Zach Barnett FootballScoop dot Com. Go check out his work. He does great job. If you're not following him on Twitter, what are you doing? He's on Twitter at zach Underscore Barnett quick break, We'll come back. Keep it rolling along here, Nick Coffee, the company man, mister John All on the alongside, taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sportstock seven ninety. I'm pretty sure we've heard the same voice for a long time during commercial breaks when we get the iHeart Sports Minute. Is that what it's called? Something like that.
Speaker 6: I think they've changed the name of it a few different times, but yes.
Speaker 1: That talk.
Speaker 2: Does that show in your log?
Speaker 3: Like what it what it looks like the name of it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's the it happens I think what once an hour? Maybe twice an hour.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think and the four o'clock I think it's twice, but three and five it happens once. But so there's one called the Fox Sports Radio Updates, and there's the other one that's the the Statewide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it just played. So I mean, I should just leave this alone, but I can't. I can't help myself. You know, I'm a company man, right and iHeart they signed the checks. That's my employer. But like, this is something that's so little and so avoidable, Like it's not like I'm mad they mentioned Kentucky and not Louisville, but like this is just such an easy fix. Like I've been this guy before, meaning I've had to get updates for sports in markets you know where. I mean, I've not done it nationally, but like being the radio the sports radio anchor for news hits like what you just heard there, that's more work than anybody would ever imagine. I'm being serious like that. You know, it's just a little bit of time on the air, but like that, there's more. Not to say that it's the hardest thing ever, but there's more work that would go into that I think anybody would realize. And sometimes, you know, it just works out good for you. We're hey, I can fill ninety seconds because these are just three headlines I can read and that's it. That's enough content to fill the little time that I have. And you know, it's supposed to be local. And this guy doesn't, I guess understand that. You know, Louisville the biggest market in our state. You know they exist too, And like he's trying, he can't find anything local to add in there, so he mentions Kentucky still receiving votes in the AP pole is like a local there's your local fix for your local update and sports here in the Kentucky and area, when in fact, like Vandy's getting more votes than Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Did he even mention Louisville being in the top twenty five.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm talking about. That's what pissed me off. Like it's just it's so and it's not like because I think he's a hater of Louisville. It's just like that's you could easily figure out where this is going to go and understand that, you know what, Louisville a pretty big city within the state of Kentucky, which you know it is a statewide sports update.
Speaker 3: But like, even if you're.
Speaker 2: A Kentucky fan and I don't know rural Kentucky and you hate Louisville, you would understand why would be included in a state wide update because you know they're in this state as well, and they're a ranked team. They're in the top twenty five. So I don't know, I mean, why does that bother me?
Speaker 5: John?
Speaker 2: I need help.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't care about that, honestly, you know, yeah, we should just move on.
Speaker 3: We'll move on.
Speaker 2: Because it's not about it's not about Red Verse Blue. It's just like that's such an like it's a bad look on this station specifically, which I care about, and it's so easily avoidable and yet like how it happens, I don't know. But anyways, we've heard that same guy for a long time, and I don't I don't think.
Speaker 6: Bellerman before Molt Belleri or beller mean either one. Yeah, instead of Bellerman, it's Beller Meane or Beller Mine. So anyways, we'll move on. It is Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: We are fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee. That is me the company man, mister John on alongside today and if you want to join us on the show, you can do that. Five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Phone lines are open. You can also text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. A couple people have sent in some comments about Louisville's schedule, you know, will In fact, the latest one says, will people stop talking about Louisville's soft schedule now that they've got half their opponents being ranked, which I'm not sure if that's actually true, so let's talk about that really quickly. So right now Louisville has jumped up in the top twenty five themselves at number twenty two in one and then number twenty three, and the other I think the ap pole has n't bet number twenty two, which is, you know, they were right outside before the season started. There's been some losses, so I mean I expected them to be anywhere between twenty one and twenty five, and because of some unexpected things happening early on in the college football season, like Georgia Tech knocking off Florida State, Miami handling Florida embarrassing them in Gainesville, and Notre Dame going down to Texas A and M and winning. And by the way, Miami and Notre Dame were already ranked. But right now Louisville has four opponents on the schedule that are currently ranked. Georgia Tech is at twenty three. I mentioned Notre Dame's number five, Miami's now at number twelve, and Clemson stayed in the top twenty five at twenty five, and then you throw in Boston College who's also on the schedule, which by the way Boston College. They're just outside, so technically they would be. They're twenty seventh among anybody that's receiving votes, Simus at thirty two among those receiving votes, Kentucky's at forty two. So you know, two ways to look at it. One, there has been a lot of talk about Louisville schedule, not only from you know, the Kentucky fans that just do the rivalry thing. Well, y'all ain't played nobody, y'all, you know, and they're always going to do that. That's never going to go away, right, Like if Kentucky would have lost to Southern miss over the weekend, which they didn't, and they, I mean, they did exactly what you want to do against that kind of an opponent, they would still be chesty and arrogant about Louisville because they would tell themselves, well, at the end of the day, doesn't matter because you guys play in the ACC We're an se team, and like, there's just no scenario you we could ever lose to you. That's how a lot of them, even if they don't believe that, that's just kind of how they operate because you know, the rivalry. So regardless, like the ACC is not as good of a league as the SEC or the Big ten. And I guess, depending upon you know who you're talking to, I who ends up being the third best league this year? I think it's gonna be a pretty competitive race, to be honest with you. Is it gonna be somebody from the Big twelve that puts their league over the top or will it be the ACEC. Only time will tell. But you know, right now, objective people who objectively vote in the ap pole. And when I say objectively, I mean maybe there is a guy who covers this team that his ballot you can look at it and kind of tell, okay, maybe he is coming from an ACC or an SEC perspective, like there's a lot of flavor for the league that his team that he covers is in. But overall, people who end up getting these jobs, meaning beat writers for newspapers, even if they got a little bit of home Er in them, they do understand that they have a job to do to be fair objective, and sometimes that's easier said than done. But like I trust those people not to say that I think that their poll is one thousand percent accurate, But like I don't think they're going to be doing any funny business. The coaches poll, nobody knows who votes for that. It's it's honestly mostly the sids at these schools who know their coach is not going to go one by one to twenty five and say who he thinks is good. So it's gonna be the sids that do it. So again, objective folks who vote each week in the ap pole, they would tell you, you know, collectively that Louisville has seven opponents that are within the top forty of college football, with Kentucky being the worst at forty two. So that's not to say, yeah, eat it everybody. Louisville schedule is actually really really good. But like the but the notion that, like because they play in the ACC and their non conference schedules not elite this year, well, there's just no way they could be a good team because they don't have any chances to prove it. No, they do, I mean again, Notre Dames, number five team in the country, and you gotta go play them there Miami. They look really good, really good against Florida. We'll see if Georgia Tech and Clemson end up being there, you know, down the line. But like, I wouldn't be shocked if Georgia And this is where you're kind of in a tough spot. If you beat Georgia Tech, that eliminates people thinking they're good, and I hate that, but that's just the way it is, right, wouldn't you agree, John, Like, if Louisville and Georgia Tech play competitive game and Louisville wins the close one, Georgia Tech will go from rank twenty third to being unranked, right, Like, there's no scenario.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 6: You just hope that Georgia Tech bounces back and that's good the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's where that benefit of the doubt that always mention matters, because despite Georgia Tech beating Florida State looking pretty good doing it, they handled Georgia State over the weekend. They are coming off of a season where they finished in the top four in the league and had nine wins at the end of the year. Despite all that, they still aren't a program that if Louisville, you know, if if Louisville beats them close and they still end up having a good season the rest of the way, and Georgia Tech only has two three losses. I still don't think people are going to give them the bene it of the doubt and the acc the benefit of it out and saying, oh, well, what are you gonna do? I mean, those two teams had to play each other, they're both really good. Like even if that was the case, and that was true, and Georgia Tech and louisll end up being really good teams, I just don't know if they'll ever get the proper credit for it. Now, for what it's worth, it won't matter right if you get in the If you win en up in this league, even if people think it's as good as a high school league, you will find yourself in the college football Playoff and that's where you have a chance to really sort of change the narrative about how you're viewed as a league. And I've never been the big acc raw raw go league because I just I can't relate. I think it's because Louis has been in so many different conferences in my lifetime. I just have never really felt, you know, the fan vibe of a conference. Now with that said, I also understand one thousand percent that your league being good is a big deal. Like you need your league to be good, and it needs to be a league that'she did, because that's gonna have a factor in how people view you as a member of that league. So I've never really I mean, I wouldn't care if Louisville left the ACC tomorrow if it meant they ended up in a better league. Like I don't care, but I will root like hell for the league to get two teams in to the playoff and those teams win, because I feel like that's the only way you're going to change the narrative about your league being viewed the way that it is. And by the way, the dominant teams, you know, the ones who clearly feel like they're way above you and everybody else in the league is beneath them, they're not helping the league's case at all. Florida State's the biggest joke in the country right now, and Clemson, we'll see, you know, I still think that was more about Georgia than anything else. But that's a data point that will be shoved in everybody's face. If Clemson was to somehow be really successful in the ACC this year and maybe they take that playoff spot, you know they're gonna look at what they did against Georgia and know that Georgia's elite, but say, yeah, why would we We can't take them serious as a playoff team because we saw what happened when they played Georgia earlier this year. So anyways, like to answer your question on the text line, yes, Louisville fans should throw that tough schedule as we speak, in the face of those who are doubting Louisville playing anybody worth worth of damn. But I also, like again, I think Miami and Notre Dame just just just throwing it out there. I think Miami Notre Dame are the only two teams that by the end of the season Louisville will have played that it's still going to be ranked. And that's not Louisville's fault, that's nobody's fault. That's just that's just you know, I don't think Clemson's gonna stay in the top twenty five, and I don't think Georgia Tech's gonna stay in the top twenty five, and I hope they don't because if George's Tex stays in the top twenty five, you know what that means. That means they beat Louisville. I mean that because that's you play them in two weeks, right, So you know that's just that's that's how that's how it works. Boston College maybe, I mean, I'll have to look at their schedule. So all you can do is play who's on your schedule. You can't control the narrative. You can try, but people are going to say what they're going to say. And I think the ACC, as far as a football fan base, is in such a helpless spot to wear no matter. And again, it's not to say that you're a victim. The league is what it is. It's viewed the way that it's viewed because of previous previous years, where when you go out there and you play in a non conference portion of your schedule, you lay an egg, you lose the teams you shouldn't lose to. And again, one of those examples happened this weekend. Bandy beating Virginia Tech is embarrassing for the ACC. It just is has nothing new with Louisville. So I'm to a point now where I'm just you know, as much as I talk about it, I should probably just shut the hell up and realize, Hey, just play who's on your schedule. And if you win your league and everybody says doesn't matter, that league stinks, that's why you want it. We'd have won that league, but we were in the SEC. Well, you know, if you win your league, here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna be in the playoff and you'll get a chance to shut people up. Improve what improved. If you're legitiate, you're not.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Break We'll come back on the other side. Get to more of your phone calls. Follons are open to by the way, five wways though I have seven one seventy nine hundred. I didn't expect to be an hour and forty five minutes into the show and not tell you guys about my gambling success and or failures. Tongue in cheek there, I realized none of you guys care about it. But I do want to talk briefly, just about a new I think, a new mature better that I've become John. I think I'm now, you know, I think I'm more wise when it comes to, you know, what I want to do on Saturdays when college football action is you know, it's hard to not get involved in every game but you know what, I don't need to be betting on every game.
Speaker 3: You're a shaman, now, that's right.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I know what that means. I'm just gonna assume it means what I think it means. But you know that's a compliment, right, I think it is okay to make it sure.
Speaker 3: I thought so.
Speaker 2: That's how big of a dumbass I can be at times, Like somebody could insult me and I'm well, thank you, Like you don't realize that wasn't They were not complimenting you. You could have just done that to me, John, and I wouldn't have known. But I know you wouldn't do that. You're good guy. You're a good guy. You're a good friend. A right quick quick break will come back on the other side. Keep this party rolling along. It's coffee and company.
Speaker 3: Field.
Speaker 2: Beth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety having some second thoughts here, as I was just telling you guys before we went to break that I enjoyed wagering on college football this weekend. I did win. I mean I ended up with more money in the account than when I started, which is always what you want. But I did not bet on as many games, and I feel like, you know, that's what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Nick, don't just.
Speaker 2: Get overwhelmed and start throwing down six leg parlays or betting on teams you know nothing about. I mean, we don't know anything about any of these teams before they've played a game. And nearly everybody made their actual debut this past weekend unless you were one of the few teams that did play in Week zero. So I feel like it was a good way to go about it. But now I'm looking at you just you know, an unlimited amount of games to bet on here John this weekend, and I want to bet on all of them.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 6: And but here's the thing, though, I do feel like it gets easier to make bets on certain teams and really a lot more teams as you get into the season because you know more about him. But the sportsbooks also get smarter because they're more aware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I h and it's a cliche, but it's like most cliches, they're cliches for a reason, because it's true. You do have a chance to really clean up, as they say, more so in the first few weeks, because just like us, the sports books are also trying to figure out who's good and who's not right, Like it's tough to know, you know, for example, there's always results in the first couple of weeks that you end up looking back on and it was an outlier. But there's no way to know that until you know time has passed. But I'll tell you what when it comes to games this weekend for college football, which trust me, tomorrow we'll get more into the NFL because I've got a lot of things I'm looking forward to doing with underdog fantasy tomorrow for the NFL. Are just I should say Thursday for the NFL opener. But like Duke Northwestern, why would I want to bet on that? That's the dork schools? But yet I'm thinking, hell yeah, Northwestern minus two and a half, that's a lot. Duke sucks.
Speaker 6: Northwestern did go toe to toe with Miami of Ohio this past weekend and barely beat him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Arkansas plus seven and a half against Oklahoma State. Maybe it's just me looking at what Bobby PA's doing down there calling plays and calling the Hogs, but I kind of feel like they may pull off the upset there. It's probably a stay away, but it did, it did intrigue me a little bit. And then Pittsburgh at Cincinnati. I mean, that's Sadderfield. I mean, I want to fade him, but you know, I know going in that that's just that. I mean, that's literally just me being a hater of Sadderfield. And there'd be nothing worse than losing a potential parlay. And it be because of Scott's atisitude. Right, I don't know why I'm so mean about him, Like he's a nice man. He just I don't know what it was. Man, he lacked the statisticular fortitude I think at this position that you know at UL football that I just I guess that's what was it.
Speaker 6: The moment that in the press conferences he started saying things, whit we went to a bowl game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no that No, you're right like that. Actually I wouldn't have thought of that right off top, but no, that's that's that's what really started to boil my blood about him, is that he would act as if we, like Louisville football, accomplished something special whenever quite literally anybody who's a fan would say, no, we're better than this. Like when he would acknowledge we went to a Bowl game, like I wanted to strangle the man. But I mean, you know, it's not personal. He just wasn't. He wasn't he wasn't built for this job. Not to say that this is like the best job in the country, but clearly the guy, I mean, he's just he's you know, he's soft. He saw what he did at midfield with Mark Stoops like that was that was embarrassing. But he did us a favor. He read the room. He didn't make him fire him. I mean, as much as we really owe cunning him the ad at at Cincinnati, I owe him everything. I mean, whatever he needs. If he called me, which he wouldn't, but if he ever got my number and he was like, hey, really in a jam here, Nick, can you do the unthinkable for me? I'd try to make it happen for him, because that's how much I appreciate him taking Scott Sadderfield off our hands, cutting us a three million dollar check for the try transaction, and then bring in the one, the only, Jeff Brohm home back to Louisville. So anyways, this weekend, here's what I did.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: I ended up going with I just we'll start with Thursday. We both lost on Thursday night. Yeah, and that was tough, but you know what happens, it's part of it. Well, then the next night, Friday, not a lot of great games, however, you know I got in on a couple of them. I did end up winning the fau bet because they ended up losing to Michigan State, but they did cover the plus twelve and a half. Then I got greedy. I took TCU minus eight and a half because I just expected them to be able to handle Stanford, who I forgot who they played at Stanford, and Stanford ended up losing, but it was you know, tc didn't cover, which was which was tough. And then I did one parlay and it was the two games I talked about Georgia free money.
Speaker 3: There, right, it was free money, but it's.
Speaker 2: Not free money when you parlay it with a dumb ass pick like I did Virginia Tech minus thirteen and a half. I mean they lost that game out right to Vandy. That I mean that. I was when that when I realized that was happening. This was, of course, during the Louisville game. I thought to myself, Nick, you don't deserve to bet the rest of the day.
Speaker 6: Take the day that parlayed UGA's cover with Indiana to go over in FI or Indiana and FI you should say to go over in that game, and that didn't happen. I'll take the Indiana cover, but they didn't go the over the wink.
Speaker 2: But you're probably still pleased because Indiana's defense look right seven points? Yeah, And isn't that like the best way to lose a bet? Like you never want to lose, but if it's because like your team overachieved compared to what you thought, like, that's it's kind of like not really losing, right you are, but you know you are, but you're not. And then silver Lining exactly perfectly said, So then I got Notre Dame plus three and a half that one hit, and then I ended up doing USC plus three and a half. That one ended up hitting, although they didn't look good for a while, but USC was able to pull out the victory. And then last night, I mean, I just did Boston College plus sixteen and a half and of course they won twenty eight thirteen overall. So you know, I can't claim that I put a lot of money in the account, but I did a lot of straight bets only one par la and you know it was it was a success. I would have probably enjoyed it a little bit more if there was a lot of money involved, but there wasn't. But that's okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like you see, money line was my big hit of the weekend. Nice saved me from being down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were they were they?
Speaker 3: Was it three and a half?
Speaker 2: It was three and a half when I got it, but I think it might have actually gone off closer to four or something like that. So yeah, good stuff. You got anything you're hot on yet or if you looked at the board for the upcoming.
Speaker 3: Observe the board too much yet.
Speaker 6: But I'll have some thoughts as we get Yeah, let's take an early look tomorrow at what we're going to be getting into because I mean football seasons here, baby, And it's not.
Speaker 3: An NFL parlays this week too, maybe not parlay.
Speaker 2: Now now you're getting me excited, John, Now I'm really ready to rock and roll here five o'clock hours next football seasons here, folks, it's coffee and company. If you're about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety