Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to the Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with tonight's guest journalist Colin Freeman. He is the author of The Mad and the Brave, which is a book about the Ukrainian foreign legion, that is, the foreigners from I mean, he'll tell us, but fifty some odd countries that came to Ukraine to help defend the country from Putin's invasion, the Russian invasion, mostly you know, starting on the twenty two, twenty twenty two full scale invasion that began going forward is kind of the context of the book. Collins also had an interesting career in his own right as a journalist covering various combat zones. So thank you Colin for joining us, and thanks for reaching.
Speaker 2: Out, thanks for having me on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just read the book, the PDF that you sent me on. I'm gonna I need to order a hard copy for my library. I want to have it in my collection. I just finished reading it before we started this interview, and it was very, very good. Like I was telling you before the show, I wish I had written it because it was that good. So, Golan, let's start off a little bit with your kind of origin story. How did you grow up, Where did you grow up and how did that sort of take you towards journalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up.
Speaker 3: In Edinburgh and Scotland, and I think when I was young, I didn't have any interest in anything particular. I didn't want to be a banker, didn't want to be a lawyer, that kind of thing. I couldn't really work out what I wanted to do, and I realized that journalism was quite a good profession for people who aren't interested in anything in particular, because every day is essentially different. Certainly that's the case if you're working on a general current affairs newspaper. So after I left school and went to university, I think by the end of Uni I decided I did that I would I would try and become a journalist. I didn't do much at university in terms of journalism. I then got a job on a local paper in Grimsby, which is a town in the north of England, doing very kind of typical local paper stories, court stories, stories about animals, stuck up trees, village, village shows, all that sort of stuff, you know, the kind of but it's a sort of microcosm of the world around us. And while it sometimes feels boring at the time, you do get to sort of see every side of human life, from the you know, life in the courts and the kind of darker underbelly of of of of a place, to the way the government works at local level, who the movers and shakers are, and of course all the human interest stories in between.
Speaker 2: It's more that the some of.
Speaker 3: The stories rather than the the individual stories themselves. It's a great chance really to just sort of sea life up front in all its different shades. Then I moved down to London to cut a long story short, and worked on a tabloid news agency chasing celebrities around. I've been I've been told to get lost by all manner of famous British celebrities, and some B list ones as well, like the Oasis, the Spice Girls, all these people. I think at one point or another I said, no comment, please go away to me. Probably did some American ones as well, but I didn't get very far. And then that that was the kind of stepping stone that tabloid stuff to Fleet Street or you know, which is which is where our national newspapers the shorthand for our national newspapers and it toughens you up a bit, gets you used to you know, gives you a bit of a thick skin. Then I worked on the London Evening Standard, which is kind of like the equivalent of the New York Post. I suppose it's London's main, you know, newspaper, but it sort of sees itself as a national paper. I was there for about four years, but I only got so far up the chain. Really, I wasn't one of them, you know, their brightest rising stars. And if that's the case in a competitive newsroom environment, you tend to realize that, you know, you're never going to do that well. And when the really big stories happened, such as the Iraq War, when it was looming, you realize you're not going to be part of the team that's going to get sent. And I think it was the Iraq War started in March of two thousand and three, if I remember correctly, and many as many of your listeners will remember that there was quite a kind of big roll up to the run up to the war where it was pretty clear it was going to happen. You know, you have troop deployments to the golf and so on. Months in advance under I think at Christmas of two thousand and two, about three months before the war started, I was on another celebrity doorstep and sitting outside some celebrities house waiting for them to comment on some story, not even sure if they were there or not. I was winging the photographer I was with about how the team for the to cover the Iraq War for the Standard had already been picked and I wasn't gonna be on it, not to any my great surprise, and he said, well, look, you know, rather than just sort of sitting there bitching, why don't you do and cover the war as a freelancer.
Speaker 2: And I still thought, can you do that?
Speaker 3: And it seemed a crazy idea, but it's sort of a little light bulb in my head and I thought, well, you know, I'll go and try and do it, and if nothing else, it will be like a kind of a gap year or a backpacking adventure with with with a bit of a difference, maybe with a bit more purpose. So off I went to Iraq. It seemed like a great idea to me. Some of the other people that I ran it past thought, no, that's that's absolute bloody madness. You know, you don't speak Arabic, you don't have any contacts out in Iraq, you don't have any hostile environment training and combat experience like that. You've got no work lined up, and actually you don't even know where Iraq is, which was true. I had to look where it was on the map. But anyway, I went out there. I pitched up actually on the day the war formal combat hostilities actually ended on I think May the first of two thousand and three, I the very last day of the active war, which is not a great spur to have in your cap that they have in your cap as a war correspondent, But it turned out to be a good time because as we know that, you know, the actual invasion atop or Saddam Hussaying went like clockwork. It was the it was the occupation afterwards. That was the bit that you know, proved that did not go to a plan, and that was where the news was really. So I was out there for a couple of years and that was kind of where I sort of learned my trade as a foreign correspondent. From then I became got a job on the Daily Telegraph back in London on their foreign desk. She foreign correspondent and spent about the next ten twelve years covering different big stories around the world, principally the Arab Spring, the Somali piracy crisis, and of course the rest of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: So that was kind of me.
Speaker 3: I then went freelance in twenty sixteen, still doing the same sort of stuff really essentially, and then when the war in Ukraine started, the Telegraph asked me back as an extra pair of hands to go and cover that, and so I've been covering that on off for the last four years. I was in Kiev when the year I was in Ukrain at the start of the war, ended up in Kia for most of the first month, and that's where I ended up getting the idea for the book about the international volunteers. That's me in a nutshell, rather large nutshell.
Speaker 1: Just to point out to the listeners kind of the life of a freelancer order. I mean, you really are just packing sort of like a laptop and a camera and a change of clothes and going over there on your own. There's no security blanket, there's no nothing, and you have to pitch editors and hopefully sell a story.
Speaker 2: Right that that is exactly it.
Speaker 3: Yes, And certainly when I first went to Iraq, I didn't find that many editors that keen. Initially I thought that was just because they had their own people there. It turned out most of them didn't. The most of their staff correspondence had pulled out by then. But a lot of them were just reluctant to use you because they were worried that if something went wrong, as it could easily do, they would be, you know, morally.
Speaker 2: If not legally, liable for you.
Speaker 3: And that's not a position that a lot of media organizations want to find themselves in. Nobody wants to be waking up what no executive wants to be waking up to find some freelancer that they gave some vague kind of commission to via email suddenly staring out from a hostel video That has happened in the past.
Speaker 2: And so that's.
Speaker 3: The perennial problem for freelancers these days, is it is finding you know, news organizations are that are willing to trust them in war zones. Although you know it's it's not surprising because it has come down to a duty of care.
Speaker 2: Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I remember a time because I was going back and forth to Syria and Iraq during the ISIS war, and it was like twenty fourteen or twenty fifteen, it was I think it was one of the big ones. It was like Reuters or AP or someone. They would take copy from freelancers, but not photographs. It's very weird policy that they would not accept photojournalism. But if you went and wrote a story and submitted it, they would, you know, consider it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they different places have different rules. Some places will not take.
Speaker 3: Anything from anybody, yes, because they don't want to be seen to be encouraging people. Other places will say, well, look, we can't commission you to go, but when you get back, when you're back in you're sort of safe and sound and assuming you're still alive, we can have a chat then, which is slightly having your cake and eating it a little bit.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's it's quite a difficult one.
Speaker 3: But we when I was working on the telegraph phone desk, we did occasionally get people who were free lancers ringing up saying they were often you know, about to deploy themselves to somewhere dicey, and we would often try and dissuade them. I've generally found the best way of dissuading them was to sort of say do you you know, do your parents know you're going? And they'd be like, well, what's what's that got to do with it? And say, well, it's your parents whose numbers will need in case you get kidnapped. We also need things like your blood group and you know, other information like that. And how will they respond if they were were on the phone telling them that you've you know, you've not been heard of for a week, and that.
Speaker 2: Your face has just appeared at a hostage video.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've had the let on quite as thick as that, But when you mentioned things like that, that sometimes drives the point home to people in a way that they perhaps haven't sort of quite thought about it in the past. Yea, I myself was actually kidnapped in Somalia back in two thousand and eight while working for.
Speaker 1: The Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean that's why I you know this, This is a sort of a subject of particular interest to me. I was covering the Somali piracy crisis at the time, which, again, as many of your listeners will remember, was when Somali pirates were sailing out in the Gulf of Aiden, hijacking ships and taking the cruise hostage. So yeah, we the finder said to me at the time, can you go to Somalia to do a bit of reporting on the ground, just to get an idea of what the you know, what the local people think about the piracy and so if we want.
Speaker 2: We went to a town called Bosassa, which.
Speaker 3: Is in the northern region of Somalia called punk Land, which is where most of the piracy was taking place because it's close to the Gulf of Aidens, So it's it's like being the being a spot on the inter on the state highway where you can just sail out into the sea and you've got you know, hundreds of passing ships every day, as most journalists do when they go around.
Speaker 2: Indeed most business people and aid workers.
Speaker 3: We use bodyguards that were hired by our fixes, local hires, just you know, guys with you know, guys who were probably the fixers, cousins or relatives or cousins, friends, whatever, with guns. Guys with guns, about seven of them. And it's basically a kind of scarecrow. In fact, you're not expecting these people to lay their lives down for you, but to. You do have to hope that the fixers hires ones who are trustworthy. In our case, they were not trustworthy. And on the last day, as we were driving to the airport, our bodyguards, the guys we were paying several hundred bucks to keep us safe every day, kidnapped us themselves and drove us off into the mountains. I won't go into the full details about it that there is a book about it if anyone wants to check it out, which tells the story in exhaustive detail. But basically we were held in a series of caves in the mountains of northern Somalia for about six weeks. We weren't we weren't hurt badlier and like that. We were threatened a few times, and there was a few other thrills and spills. A gunfight in the cave at one point with a rival clan, which is not a great place to have a gunfight, you know, with all those all those stone walls. That's the bullets zigza about ricocheting around. But eventually we were released. Our can't go the circumstances are released too much. But money was asked for. Whether money changed towns, I.
Speaker 2: Don't really know.
Speaker 3: That is quite frequent in that part of the world. We were also threatened at one point that when the negotiations were not going very well, the pirates happened to mention that a British naval vessel had killed a couple of pirates and a clan a few hundred miles down the road just the week before, and they said, the clan that the clan to which those dead pirates belong, and there are the cross about that, and they've heard that. We've got you, a British journalist hostage up here, and they put an a counter offer for you, So if your newspaper doesn't pay up, they'd be very keen to buy you, just to sort of have a little word about those pirates that your navy killed. And I remember thinking, Jesus Christ, you know, it's the first time the Royal Navy has killed anyone in about three hundred years, and it happens to be the same bloody week that I'm stuck with a bunch of pirates in Somalia.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was not a pleasant experience, but it was it was manageable, and it has sort of taught me, you know, the sort of that it's fairly important to be careful when you get deployed abroad, although realistically these days kidnapping is a is a threat that can you know lots of journalists I know I've had it happened to, including quite a few in Iraq, where the consequences could be a lot more serious. You know, we had religious kidnappings that led to beheadings as well.
Speaker 1: One thing I love about summer is how easy everything feels. The days are a little more relaxed, and I find myself reaching for the same comfortable, go anywhere pieces again and again. That's why I keep coming back to Quints. They focus on well made essentials that naturally become those everyday staples you actually live in all season long. Quinc is one hundred percent European linen. Pants and shirts are breathable, easy to throw on, and the summer upgrade your rotation needs. Starting at just thirty four dollars. Their teas are soft enough to live in all day, and lightweight cotton sweaters are exactly what you want when summer nights cool down. Everything at Quint's is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middlemen, so you're paying for exceptional quality, not brand markup. And it's not just clothing. Quints has become a trusted favorite for everything from home to travel to everyday essentials. Make your summer wardrobe easier. Go to quints dot com slash house for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns now available in Canada too. That's qui Ncee dot com slash house for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns dot com slash house. If upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while, ghost Bed's fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it right now. You can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Teamhouse listener, you get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code House. Ghostbed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial, fast and free shipping, and a warranty up to twenty five years, twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress. Then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house promo code House. Some exclusions apply see site for details. Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, like, one of the things I've been told about the kidnappings and Somalia is that they're not going to hurt you. Like that's not what it's about. It's all about a value transaction that they want to take place.
Speaker 2: That is generally the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they actually, I think it's almost fair to say that they specialize in being they trying to be fairly honest brokers in that sense, because and to honor deals, because you know, there is a sense among a lot of you know, a lot of Western firms, if they get somebody kidnapped in Somari, they would sort of assume that the people doing the kidnapping would be bad faith actors, and that offering them roundsom money would simply be chucking good money after bad and making a bad situation worse, and that there'll be no reason that these people in this lawless part of the world would honor their deal. In actual fact, I think they do have a reputation for once a deal is struck, it usually goes through.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And as you say, there's not much relative to the numbers of people who've been taken by pirates, there's not been many cases where there as people have not come home alive as long as money has been forthcoming, whereas in Iraq or Syria, you know, you saw the majority of those many of those cases would end up with somebody being beheaded, And there was a school of thought that says that these were not the kidnappings at all. They were more what you watched someone was reading described as deferred homicides. You catch somebody, you intent that killed them, but you make out like it's going to be you want some political concession, which you know, you know is never going to be offered. For example, US troops being pulled out of Iraq was a common one.
Speaker 2: During that time.
Speaker 1: And then how did you get interested or get sent to cover the war in Ukraine? How did that first come about?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a jobbing freelancer for the telegraph, you know, mainly for the foreigners, So whenever they needed an extra pair.
Speaker 2: Of hands on someone, I was there. And the Ukraine War was obviously one of those cases.
Speaker 3: And if you catch your mind back, you remember that the war, You know, there was quite a lot of pre indicators that the war was going to happen. Put In doing this enormous troops throughout the new year of twenty twenty two, and it became fairly obvious that he was gonna make some key decision about it. Around the last week of the last week of February of twenty twenty twenty twenty twenty two. We all have the telegraph already had a couple of people in Kiev, and one team in Kiev and one team in the east of Ukraine. They're in anticipation that the invasion would start. And initially they said to me, can you go to Leviv in the west of Ukraine, just to be there as an extra pair of hands if you know, if much.
Speaker 2: Happens or whatever.
Speaker 3: But we don't really think it will, you know, we don't improve into that daft, so neither did I, of course, so I flew in on what I think was the very last flight from the Viv on February the twenty third of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: The war, of course started on the twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: Got to the hotel, had a couple of beers, went about thinking, and yeah, it's going to be a couple of weeks watching covering what we call the diplomatic climb down story in the media, where it's like, you know, there's been a big build up, lots of saber rattling, and then Putin decides not to do much in the end and maybe send a few more tanks into bits of the down Bass of the already occupied.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 3: Then a few hours later, I'm sort of woken up by florries of WhatsApp messages from colleagues in key Evan elsewhere saying the war has started.
Speaker 2: You know, all hell is breaking loose, and yeah.
Speaker 3: So that was that, And so the first week was was you know, it was a bit frightening because I had never I'd covered wars in Africa in the Middle East a bit before, but you know that this.
Speaker 2: Was kind of like grown up warfare.
Speaker 3: This is, you know, that the world's second superpower, and also it's of Vladimir Putin's It's not more than the nice guys. And you know, nobody really had any idea of what kind of things he was capable of. As we now know, you know, he's barely capable of invading the Dawn Bass, let alone, Kiev or anywhere else. But at that time, you were, you know, you were expecting Russian paratroopers to land in the Viva at any moment you were.
Speaker 2: I was worried the border might be sealed.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, like, you know, if if all hell breaks lose, can I walk from the Viv back to Poland.
Speaker 2: It's only seventy miles or something. So yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was quite so that that first week was was quite scary. It was it was difficulty sleeping and so on, and also you're very adrenalized just from having to you know, do the job as well the daily reporting. Then on about day five I had I was, you know, I was tasked with replacing the team in Kiev that we had who'd already been there for a month. They both had COVID and you know that they weren't feeling match fit for what could be, you know, an unending siege potentially. So I was kind of thinking, well, after we get into the Kiv, all the cars are driving the other way, the higher cars shut place in the Vivas has been shot, you know, and nobody in their right mind is driving down that motorway. And I was kind of despairing. And then sudden somebody said, well, why don't you take the train? I said, what do you mean the train, thinking like all the trains would have stopped ages ago. They pointed out that the trains were every day there were disgorging, you know, large numbers of refugees at the at the border with Poland, and obviously those trains came back empty and so you could just jump on one of them, and it was it was one of the strangest train journeys I've ever done.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just almost a completely.
Speaker 3: Empty train, me and one or one or two other a few other Ukrainians and I think of for Italian, an Italian photographer who was told by the steward not to take to take his feet off the seat. So there's still maintaining standards the Ukrainian train service. As we got into Kiv and then covered the you know, the the Siege of Kia for the next the next five weeks or so, by which time it was already showing signs of petering out.
Speaker 1: This is when they were trying to capture the airfield and there were assassination at tams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, the majority.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was a lot of fear of Russian saboteurs wandering the streets in the first few days, and the Ukrainian troops, although pretty professional most of the time, were quite jumpy. Those sabatarres are either were rounded up or proved to be nothing more than the rumor. After about a week.
Speaker 2: Or yours.
Speaker 3: The Russians pushing into Urpin and Butcher in the northwest that was the main focus of their assault. Also an area called Brivery in the east, so that the combat itself was limited to certain areas. But I mean Kiev at that point certainly felt very much like you know, a city under under siege. You had, you know, missiles coming in quite regularly in the mornings, and also just the streets were almost completely deserted at that time, far far quieter than they are now, and you know, there was just signs of the of things kind of fraying at the edges. Lots of spots on street corners were or streets where cars had crashed just because people were driving in a panic. Quite a lot of mentally unstable people out on the streets who primarily people whose medical who are on medication of one sort or another or otherwise unable to care for themselves, who've been left basically to defend for themselves, and who you know, running out of appropriate medication. Yeah, just quite a few signs that you know, the sort of the place was buckling. But as as time went on, it you know, things sort of you know got back together, back back to normal again, and you know, shops were open, cafes were open, and we saw Ukrainians rallying around in the way that you know he's now. You know, they're not very famous for around the world.
Speaker 1: When was the first time you came in contact with a foreigner that was fighting over there.
Speaker 3: Well, Zelensky announced the creation of the International Legion on about day three of the war from his bunker in the center of Kiev, a time when you know, all rather rather grim for Kiev, and everybody was expecting that, you know, if if the regually, if the Zelenski's government didn't collapse within seventy two hours in three days, it would be you know, within three weeks or three months or whatever. And he framed it very much as an appeal in the wider world. He said that anyone who, anyone ouse out there has got military skills and wants to come and fight for Ukraine, fight, I'm forming an international legion. It will be for those who want to fight for democracy, freedom, human rights, not just for Ukraine.
Speaker 2: But for Europe and for the whole of the world.
Speaker 3: It's a very you know, romantic appeal really and you know, you know, echoing the spirit of the the International Brigade in Spain during the Spanish Civil War in the nineteen thirties, when volunteers around the world flocked to fight to help the Republican government that democratically elected left wing Republican government in Spain fight off Franco's fascists. And you know, so, you know, has since been regarded very much as you know, a dry run for World War two. And yeah, so that's what he said, And within I think a couple of weeks, you know, the Ukrainian government said they've had something like twenty thousand email twenty thousand applications to join the new International Legion. I think majority of that by what they meant that was the twenty thousand emailed expressions of interest, but it was still a significant number. I think the first ones I met, I didn't actually meet them physically because a lot of them wanted to keep themselves fairly low profile because they were worried about getting tracked by the Russians, and sometimes one didn't want people to know at home that they were there, because not all of them had actually told them their families that they were going.
Speaker 2: You know, I spoke to a few on the phone.
Speaker 3: A lot of them were ex British soldiers, mainly people who were younger actually, and I think quite a lot who had missed out on the Iraqi Afghanistan and who saw this as a as a chance to put their skills to the test. And in that sense, soldiering is a pretty unique profession because you can spend your life training in soldiering and never get your skills. You know, the chance to put your skills to the test is like being a surgeon who never operates, foreign correspondent who never goes to cover the war, that sort of thing, you know. So there was a strong that there was a strong element of that people wanted to see with their skills were up to it. There were also more seasoned, you know, combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who wanted to see what it was like to fight a peer army, you know where you know, it would be the Russians this time, rather than coalition forces that held all the aces. So that there was that element, and then there was also just quite a lot of people who had never fought before, or if they did have military experience, you know, what was limited to you know, driving trucks in in logistics squadrons.
Speaker 2: And things like that.
Speaker 3: Who you know who again wanted you know, wanted to see what combat was like. And I think it would be fair to say for most of them, if not all of them, that was also just drawn by the cause.
Speaker 2: You know, this was a.
Speaker 3: Pretty unique war in the you know, for the first time since World War Two, really it felt like a just war with a clear body and a clear goody in Zelenski and with with echoes of the land grab that hit the Maid that started World War Two when he invaded Poland and the Czech Republic. A lot of people saying like, you know, I don't really want to come and fight, particularly, but I feel it's my duty as a soldier and someone with someone with with the relevant military skills. I'm gonna feel shit if I stay at home in London or New York or anywhere while there are Ukrainians out there fighting and dying. Partly because we know that this may, this may only, this may be the start of a bigger operation against other parts of Europe. And also it's if he succeeds, if he's not opposed, it will be the end of the the you know, the rules based order as we know it, and as a as a military equipped individual, I feel.
Speaker 2: It's my job to go out there.
Speaker 3: So those were the kind of motivations that were involved, although for a lot of them, you know, there were other factors, personal factors as well. A lot of them had, you know, civilian lives that they weren't particularly enjoying jobs that they found on fulfilling personal lives.
Speaker 2: That's you know, marriages that were sometimes on the rocks.
Speaker 3: A few people, you know, were on the run from the law or had been in trouble with the law in the past and wanted to kind of wipe the slate clean, which is something you also noticed with you know, people who went out to fight for ISIS as jihadists. That's the thing, you know, the sense of I've not led a decent life. Well, I've led a bad life. This is the chance for me to kind of try and you know, rectify that a bit. So you have a wide range, a very colorful range of people's science joining up, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to write the book.
Speaker 2: Really, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Partly an account of the combat that they faced and their experiences on the front line.
Speaker 2: That is obviously primarily what it is.
Speaker 3: It also tries to be narrative of the first three years of the war, so you get that as a kind of thrown in for free, as it were if you read the book. But it's also trying to describe what the you know what why these people go out there, and what it is about life in their home countries in America or the UK that they feel is lacking, you know, in their own you know, and that for quite a few of them, I think that there's what I would call the sort of fight club element to it, as in the film The Book starring Brad Pitt, where you have a generation of men brought up these days in the United States and certainly in Britain, where they've known you know, the countries have known peace really for largely for more or less for eighty years, and they don't really feel like there's you know, many existential challenges left in life, that life is too too molly coddle, too soft, and they want to know whether they can face up to the kind of hardships their forefathers faced in World War two or World War One. You know, they've seen it in you know, programs like uh oh, what's it called the.
Speaker 2: Sorry my mom is the brothers?
Speaker 3: Yet you know they you know they've they've got relatives who you know, fought in that war in World War two, or they might have vote. In America's case, well it was in Vietnam, and it's not a sense of what's it like to fight in.
Speaker 2: A real, a proper grown up war. Can I handle it? Here's a chance.
Speaker 1: There was a very motley crew that showed up for this international legion Especially, it sounds like early on in the war and you have a chapter you talk about the screamers. I think you guys call them waltz. You know, people are presenting to be someone they're not. And then there's this ballistic missile strike that kind of separated the wheat from the cheft.
Speaker 3: It sounded like, yeah, uh so that when the legionnaires first came across the border, a lot of them were told to deploy or sorry to to go to a base at a place called Yavarev near the Polish border.
Speaker 2: It's actually a base that was used prior to the war by as a kind of native training base.
Speaker 3: And you know, so there's I think there's probably about a couple of thousand of them pitched up there at the at the beginning of the war, all sort of sitting there waiting, you know, for orders, waiting to get trained up. And yes, as you say, some of them were you know, fairly competent volunteers with proven military records, and some of them were not. You had quite a lot of watermittees, I fantasists.
Speaker 2: You had quite a.
Speaker 3: Lot who so called screamers, I people who had no military training at all, but who bullshited a lot that they had you know, previous records as you know, Navy Seals or Delta Force or sas. And then who would go up run off screaming the moment they action started. And yeah, I mean according to some of the volunteers I spoke to for the book, you could kind of see these fantasists a mile off, you know that they all wore kind of berets and cat badges that had you know, insignias that you know, nobody actually seen before, and they would often talk about, you know, various missions they'd been on, you know, inevitably with the CIA Delta Force works a bit like I can't really talk about it too much, but it was, you know, it was real harsh hush stuff. But you know, and you sort of think, well, it was that harsh shush, why why is it not classified? You know what, why are you even mentioning it?
Speaker 2: So that there was there was, there was.
Speaker 3: There was quite a lot of those sorts of people, and it was a big worry for the more regular competent legionnaires to see these people having turned up because the Ukrainian military authorities didn't really have any means of vetting people at that particular point. Because you know, if you've got normally, when you go to warrior fighting alongside other guys you've been with for years and years, you've trained alongside, you know their strengths, you know their weaknesses. Here you're being lined up to fight along with a whole load of people who are tilting strangers anyway, some of whom seem like complete wat jobs. And then yeah, the other the other problem with a lot of these people was that they had no sort of sense of you know, secure secure comms at all, no, you know, no situational awareness. They'd be posting TikTok videos of them sort of saying yo hanging here at Yavarev or whatever, and sending all kinds of you know, messages to you know on the social media saying where they were, and yeah about about on about March the fourteenth, I think it was or something. One night at that particular base, the rush Is hit it with a series of missiles, hypersonic missiles, big ones, and you know, they clearly identified this place as a as a haunt of international legionnaires. By some miracle, I think only one legionaire if that was killed. A large number of Ukrainians were killed in a in a neighboring barracks. But as a result of that, a lot of the it was something of a wake up call. A lot of the legionnaires then decided and actually I don't really fancy this.
Speaker 2: I feel a bit out my league. And it was widely.
Speaker 3: Presumed that the reason the Russians had managed to hit this place was because there was so much digital traffic on the internet that they you know, they've been able to easily pinpoint where it was all the foreigners mobile phones and so on. Personally, I think they could have probably worked it out anyway, just because it was a it was an obvious place for all the foreigners to go to. But certainly yes, as you say that, that kind of slightly sort of sifted the week from the chaff. A lot of people left deciding, you know, that this was not for them, but you know, probably unbalance more.
Speaker 2: Of them stayed. But that was certainly very much a kind of a baptism of fire for a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I'm Jack Murphy here at the team House, and today I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show. Mars Men. This is a natural testosterone support supplement. I take it. I've been taking it for about the last five weeks now, and I'm starting to notice a difference. You take five of these pills each day, and each one of these cans last two a month. I think you need to use them for a couple of months to get the full effect of them. But I'm about five weeks in and I'm starting to notice a difference. Already, increased energy, better performance in the gym, all of those things. I've you know, quite frankly, in the past, had a problem with testosterone, as a lot of military veterans do, as a lot of men who are going into their forties do. And this is actually something that seems to be helping me get my levels back up even higher, So I'd highly recommend checking them out. It has eight different substances in it that help boost your testosterone count. If you guys will go and check them out, we'd really appreciate it, so would the sponsor. For a limited time, our listeners get fifty percent off for life, plus free shipping and three free gifts at men go to Mars dot com. That's men go to Mars dot com for fifty percent off and three free gifts. When you check out. After you purchase, they will ask you where you heard about them. Please show support for the show and tell them that the teamhouse sent you.
Speaker 2: Thank you everyone.
Speaker 1: You profile a lot of these foreign fighters that came over there. Some of them were professional soldiers, served in the Paros. One of the one guy with a Sandhurst graduate as I recall. But then there's also like another guy who was like grew up on a farm in Scotland and just wanted to get it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was Douglas Cartner who was Yeah, he had no military experience at all. I think he wanted to join the US Marine, wanted to join the Royal Marines or the commandos when he was when he was a kid. But he'd he'd you know, had a problem with a shoulder or something like that during the qualification process, so that had kind of ruined his dream of joining the military. He became a tractor engineer instead, had a perfectly happy life, but he always felt there was something missing. And I think, you know, normally, if you were a twenty something in the UK and you want, you know, thrills and kicks, you you go off, maybe have a gap year around the world, travel to Asia and India and the Far East, that sort of thing. But if you've set your heart on being a commander or a member of the ESAs, that's not really going to be much of a substitute. So yeah, when the war came along, he's just sort of thought, shall I do it?
Speaker 2: You know, why not? This is my this is my one and only chance. And off he went.
Speaker 3: Yeah, undeterred by the fact that, you know, he didn't have any military experience, undeterred by the fact that the Ukrainian embassy had told him no, might just just stay at home and you know, do a bit of charity work back in the.
Speaker 2: UK if you want.
Speaker 3: Undeterred by the fact that his parents said to him, you know, your bloody daft, you know you'll get killed, and you know.
Speaker 2: In finness to him, he played it fairly, fairly carefully.
Speaker 3: He started out with just a volunteer humanitarian unit, getting getting to know that the ropes, getting to know the ground in Ukraine a bit, then moved to a some sort of medical unit where they had an number of soldiers or ex soldiers who were doing sort of humanitarian medical work a bit close to the front lines, and then from there eventually moved to a sort of medical unit that was a combat unit of some sort of I remember rightly. And yeah, eventually, you know, a few months in, found himself heading towards the front lines, you know, ready for combat with a with with the Ukrainian legion that took a large number of foreigners. And yeah, we're sort of trying to describe what it's like for him when he when he's sort of first heads into combat, is with all this all this sort of other piles, many of whom are likewise rookies, and there's a sort of sense of like, you know, finally we've got the chance to get here. We're sort of dreading it and yet we're longing for it at the same time.
Speaker 2: Then he gets to the.
Speaker 3: To the to the base or the trenches where you know where he's going to be based, and he's kind of expecting to get to right, you go over there, you point your gun there, and you know all that, and he's just left on his own in a trench, you know, not knowing what to do with this machine gun, a p k M, which is like a big belt fed thing, a bit like a general purpose machine gun that he's been trained on, but he has no idea where the front line is, you know which direction it is. And then out the blue, several soldiers start walking towards him. Because of the light at that time of day, because he was in some in some woods, you couldn't see whether they were Russians or Ukrainians, but they were. They were more wondering, you know, with their guns in a sort of in a manner that you know, didn't look terribly relaxed, looked like they meant business. And so he starts thinking, right, that was my guys are they're the enemy. And as they get nearer and near, he's some things were like I'm gonna have to do something. You know I'm gonna have to shoot if these guys are Russian soldiers, because the moment they see me here my trench, you know they're going to start shooting. So they get closer and closer. He's hoping they'll, you know, where, you'll be able to work out who they are. Eventually he's on the point of firing a warning burst over their heads, which I think would almost certainly have led to them firing back when one of them waved at him and said, ah, yeah, how are you doing in English or something, and you know, he's sort of like described sort of wiping the sweat off his brow and sort of pulling his hand off the trigger grip, which is kind of, you know, just about shaking by that time. And it turns out to be the guy who's going to be command, his new commander, who basically just almost wiped out that very first but you know, that very first.
Speaker 2: Day, simply because nobody had told him which direction the point is gone in.
Speaker 3: I'll mention that because it's sort of symptomatic of the kind of unexpected chaos you governed the Ukrainian flunt lines. People imagine that it's going to be a nice straight line it's not Neander's in and out like a river, and it changes within the hours, and quite often people don't really know whether they're sort of, you know, the Russians are ahead of them, or perhaps a little bit beside them or behind them or or whatever.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that was I think it's something of a baptism of fire for him. Definitely.
Speaker 1: Another interesting person you profile on the book is a Vietnamese American military veteran. Can you tell us about him? He had a very unique story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think his name a while since I've reread the book, but I think his name was Hugh Lee. And yeah, he was a Vietnamese American. His family had come over at the end of the Vietnam War to the US. He you know, was very much of the opinion that America had given his family a decent life and that you know, when when when other when other parts of the world suffered, you know, suffered military aggression, that you know, he had a duty to help them, just as he'd been helped or his family had been helped. So at the time, he was running a restaurant in Columbia, of all places, having retired from the US Marines, and he'd served in Afghanistan as a command center sort of technical operator more than a frontline soldier. But you know, he'd still done US Marines training. He was a capable and competent operator, but you know, he wouldn't call himself any kind of you know, rambow infantry kind of guy. You know, didn't sort of over sell his skills. Anyway, he decided to go out.
Speaker 2: I think he was.
Speaker 3: Similar to a lot of the American soldiers out who volunteered for Ukraine in that he having served in Afghanistan, he had been quite disappointed by the pullout in twenty twenty one of US sportsters from Afghanistan, by the collapse of the Afghan army, and that had made him feel like, you know, we spent twenty years there, all that blood and treasure invested, and yet you know, when it came to the moment we pulled out, the Afghan Army collapsed, and was what was the point of supporting these people. I know the story is more complicated than that, as does he, but that that was the kind of the you know, the rough headline, and one of the things he felt. And he saw the Ukrainians though, you know, actually fighting tooth and nail against the Russians, and he sort of thought, yeah, that these people are worth fighting, these people are worth supporting because they're fighting on their own accord, that they're not even you know, asking us to come in officially, you know, and that they're worth helping and there'll be a useful future ally for America in the future.
Speaker 2: So off he went.
Speaker 3: Hugh did not have a good experience, and he was at Yavarev when the missiles landed, but he didn't let that deter them. However, he didn't he didn't have a very pleasant time with the with the legionnaires when he just met them. He's described bumping into a bunch of guys who he uh, who he summed up a Special Forces washouts, basically sort of very muscly, rambo rambo looking guys who he reckoned were sort of high on steroids or something, who were quite aggressive and dismissive of him. And again, you know, just that feeling like I don't want to be stuck in the trench with these guys. I'll feel more scared of them than the Russians. And then also on his his very first deployment, he was said to erpen in the north, the northwest suburb of Kiev where the Russians were pushing in. During that first month in Kiev, his first assignment was to was to pick up a corpse from behind enemy lines. A Georgian fighter is a fighter from the from the volunteer from the the ex Soviet state of Georgia who'd been killed. And him, Hugh and several other about a dozen other guys went through through the combats area to actually pick this this guy's body up, the Georgian's body up. He was a big, heavy guy, fifteen stone maybe, and they spent the next seven hours stretching him back through the enemy lines, through you know, mortar fire and and you know, potential sniper areas and potential minefields, back to you know, back back to the rear with lines, the Ukrainian lines. And I don't think it was so much the you know, the actual threat of you know, the the threat of armed danger, but the actual weight of the corpse was was made it really really hard.
Speaker 2: They only had a kind of.
Speaker 3: They had a soft stretch of one of those ones who wait that you can like almost like a tar paul, and with handles that used primarily for getting people out of the buildings, which which are more flexible, which but which make the actual task of carrying somebody far harder. And they said, you know, every one hundred yards or so, he was getting exhausted, and they were also kept dropping the guy, which didn't feel very respectful. And then by by the time he got back to the end, back to the Ukrainian lines, he was exhausted. He felt totally somewhat out of shape for what he was being tasked to do, as well somewhat rattled by, you know, his experiences with these other legionnaires early on, and he just burst into tears and he just realized, I cannot cope with us.
Speaker 2: And as a result of that, he then went home. And I mentioned that case in the book.
Speaker 3: I think just partly just sort of show that not everybody emerges a hero out of these things. Are not a hero in a conventional sense. You know, Hugh did still do his bit, he just decided it wasn't for him. But also just I think to sort of show to people that, you know, wartime experiences, as with Douglas Cartner, you know, the guy who you know was told which direction the fire is gone, and wartime experience is never going to be what you expect them. You know, he was expecting to be there in a trench fire and a gun and in steadies humph, and of guy's body for seven miles, you know, staring at a dead man in you know, staring in at a dead man's eyes the whole time, be very very closely confronted with with the consequences of war and yet not actually participating in it, not getting the kind of adrenaline that you normally would. She's quite an unusual perhaps introduction to you know, a conflict zone, and you know, it just sort of struck me. That again also underlined how different the war in Ukraine was to the one in Afghanistan where he had been before. If soldiers were killed, then there were helicopter lifted out. Usually, you know, their bodies might have had to drag them, you know for you know, stretch them for a short time or something like that, but it would it would be relatively usual for anyone to have had the kind of experience that he had in Ukraine, Whereas in Ukraine, you know, the world who helicopters flying around anywhere, There wasn't that sort of Kazavak system and so situations like he had were actually very common and often.
Speaker 2: Very very difficult.
Speaker 3: You know, most of the people I spoke to who did stretchering jobs said it was, you know, the most exhausting thing they've ever done, you know, on the battlefield.
Speaker 1: There's another guy, you profile who had a bad experience, as I recall, and he got to a certain point was kind of like, screw this, I'm going to go guard this diamond mind in the Congo and make some real money and then maybe come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was Christopher Perriman, known as pez who who was you know, a highly qualified soldier.
Speaker 3: He fought in Iraq in you know, in the Second Gulf War. He was a trained sniper, and yeah, he went to Ukraine thinking, you know, very much like this, this is my job as a soldier. I you know, I've I've got the skills, I will i will be able to help train Ukrainians and save some other guy from losing his life because of his his lack of you know, his his lack of aptitude for the task. So yeah, Unfortunately, he, like like a lot of people, when he got there, found that the Ukrainian military system wasn't really capable of you know, processing all the volunteers that were coming in, including the experienced people like him.
Speaker 2: Zelenski had not told his.
Speaker 3: Generals before creating beforehand that he was creating the legions, so he was blindsiding them, and they didn't really have the organizational capacity to, you know, to put all these people in barracks just as the war was starting to train them up and to send them off in different you know, big battalions and foreigners or whatever to the front lines. So a lot of the soldiers, like pairs found themselves was sitting around in the bases at places like Javarev, where they're getting missiled. They're doing nothing. They're just getting bored and paranoid and wondering how much longer it's gonna take before they get sent to the front lives keeping. They keep getting promised that, you know, they don't get sent soon, and nothing happens. And he, like a lot of soldiers that ended up just kind of taking matters into his own hands.
Speaker 2: He teamed up with a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of other guys, but maybe a dozen of them, all for them had sort of got to know each other during all this periods sitting around waiting in the barracks sort of worked out, Yeah, this guy doesn't look too look sensible, that guy doesn't look too much like a water emittee, so on and so forth, and yeah, they they they would form these little units and then they would try and bypass the leaching bureaucracy essentially just go off and you know, tout their services around the front lines, like like you know, laborers looking for work really And usually what they'd do is that there'd be one person who maybe spoke a bit of Russian or Ukrainian who could do the introductions to certain commanders or some guy who maybe knew a Ukrainian command or who knew a man who knew a man, and they would they would chase down those leads sometimes and hope in the hope that one or two of those Ukrainian commanders would say, yeah, I can use some guys.
Speaker 2: You know, you can try us. We'll try you out for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: But it was very much on probation, and unfortunately, the because there had been a few waltamities and bad apples already, you know, sort of earning the leagion a bad reputation. A lot of the Ukrainian commanders are actually quite unwilling to take them, and they would find themselves just being told thanks, but no thanks or whatever, and quite a sort of unusual experience if you go to a war, respecting the fight and then everybody's just saying, don't need you.
Speaker 1: You know, we're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, normally, you.
Speaker 3: Know, you hear a lot of stories in Militarist about soldiers dreading the front line and trying to get out of it. Here here it was the opposite, and people sort of you know, hunting for the front lines, like a kind of military Eldorado and has found himself in that situation. I think they eventually got down at some place in mick Alive in the South where they got a little bit of action but nothing very much, just sort of you know, and eventually he decided, look, I can't keep you know, I can't stay here forever. I've been here three months of running low on money and payment wasn't very regular in the legion then it is now. And so he went back to the UK and I think, yeah, pursued a job guarding a diamond mine in Congod. I'm not sure whether he ever got it or not, but he did resurface again in October of that same year of twenty twenty two and joined a unit that was you know, offered much more scope for action, and they were they were out in some islands down on the in in southern Ukraine, on the on the Delta area of the Dnipro River, Ukraine's main river, where there's lots of islands at the mouth of the river as it leads into the Black Sea, and on those islands, Russians and the Ukrainians would often occupy one half, you know, sort of rival halves of the islands, and it was Pez's job and that of his team to sort of try and keep you know, keep it retained their section of the island. And pretty scary stuff because there's nowhere to run to if you if you get stuck, you know, there's there's not going to be a boat that's going to let you off the island if you if if the Russians start to do is start to really pile the pressure on. And so yeah, he was there for a few months. There was a few gunfights, and I think he had one or two disagreements with his with his colleagues occasionally when things went wrong. There's an account of that when a gunfight goes wrong and Pears gets blamed for not having his weapon there at the time. There were reasons why that happened, But again I use that example to sort of explain why, you know what, he nearly let the fistfights afterwards, and again it's it's what anybody else would have is just as a bad day at the office with these guys is a you know, a bad day at work where.
Speaker 2: A few mistakes are made out of the side.
Speaker 3: It leads to people potentially getting killed and feelings running very, very high, especially when once again these people don't know each other it.
Speaker 1: Pears continued, but can you can you finish the story about how he narrowly avoided capture because I remember he like had to jump off a balcony or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, yeah, I can. I can plunge it in a bit more detail.
Speaker 3: They were They were basically in a house doing you know, an op and observation point in a house on this island one night, and a whole lot of Russians suddenly surrounded them. It's not clear whether they actually surrounded them knowing that they were there were legionnaires there, or that there were Ukrainians there or whether they actually thought again, this is the element of confusion on the battlefield, that they these Russians actually thought it was a Russian occupied op because apparently some Russian went knocked on the door of the house, I think, expecting to be let in. One of the other legionnaires inside challenged him with a password. The Russian was unable to produce the password. At that point they both realized that, you know, each other were enemy forces, and I think one of the legionnaires fired a burst down the down the stairway to keep the Russians at bay. After that, all hell broke loose, as you would imagine, and they were having there were there was machine gun fire coming in through the windows, there were smoke good aides coming through the windows. The Russians were surrounding them, shouting them in English as well, shouting come out, come out your bitches, and so on. So it was clear that I think they'd identified them as foreigners at that point and that they would obviously be potentially quite a big prize.
Speaker 2: A gun battle ensued for quite a long time. I quite can't quite remember how long.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was perhaps more than about half an hour, but I think it probably seemed like forever at the time. And eventually, as the as the upstairs we were filled with tear gas and smoke grenade gas that the Russians had chucked in pairs, sort of decided that you know, it was you know, he couldn't see his colleagues and his comrades anymore, and leapt out of one of the windows, the upstairs window about twenty feet nearly broke his ankle, smashed into aside, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Wall of the building.
Speaker 3: He just jumped out of, smashed his head up, and then kind of basically ran off through the back gardens of the house that he was in and somehow managed to get to safety, and by some miracle when when they were at the wrong they agreed Rendezvy point that they would go to in eventualities like this, met up with his comrades who who had also survived. Again, I think they were also all like, was convinced that, you know, everybody else was dead, and as it turned out, nobody actually got killed in that particular incident. But I've watched sort of video grabs something, I mean, you know, it's absolutely terrifying, and of course the consequences of being caught in that situation would have been you know, would have been die. If you weren't killed, you'd have been taken Russian prisoner of warning. I mean that is something that happened to some of the other legionaires, which we can perhaps talk about as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Peirs continued there.
Speaker 3: He parked the company with that particular unit and there went joined another unit. And then in October twenty twenty three, which I think was sort of later that same year, after that gunfight on the island, he was on another operation near Snake Island in the Black Sea and he was killed by mortifier.
Speaker 2: I believe. I don't know any more details than that.
Speaker 3: Nothing ever else was ever released, but as you know, the Ukrainians are often quite secretive about the details of military operations when casualties have been sustained.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: He was one of one of a number of people who are in the book who you know, who are not you know, southly not around to have seen it seen it published.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask you about the guys who were taken as prisoners of war. Those are some of the crazier stories in this book. There were a couple of differ for guys you profile I believe who were captured. Can you tell us about them a bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I mean the I think there's three who were profiled in the book. A British guy named Andrew Harding. Sorry, yes, and Andrew Harding, Yes, so I may have to check his name. Andrew will call him here from from now, and it's been a while since I've read the book. And then a two Americans, Alex Druki and Andy Queen, who may be familiar to some of your listeners. They were the first Americans to be taken captive in June of twenty twenty two. And yeah, so Alex was a was a was a classic legionnaire in many ways. He had served in a rock as a top gunner in about two thousand in Baghdad, which as anyone who's spent time in Baghdad during those years, we'll know, it was a very dangerous job. You're driving around in a humvey. He scored in convoys and vps and generals, so you're big target. And Alex's job was to be in the lead humbie with a fifty cow, you know, so he if anybody, if any snipers or car bombers or insurgent gangs were waiting to try and take out the convoy. Alex would probably be the first to know. So after he came back from Iraq, he had quite bad PTSD and he tried to get other civilian jobs. He tried to become a police officer, for example, and found that, you know, I think partly because of his PTSD, he couldn't really deal with it, and also the rules of engagement as a civilian police officer are very different from those as a you know, a lead gunner in Iraq, and he began to feel like it was a bit of a failure in life. And also being an ex military man, you know, a career military man, you know, he sort of felt that his life had lost purpose.
Speaker 2: When the Iraq War.
Speaker 3: Started, he decided to go despite having a one hundred percent veterans pension with PTSD. Many would have queried that decision, you know, saying you're you know, you're only likely to make your demons far far worse.
Speaker 2: Surely, his view was, you know.
Speaker 3: These are demons that haunt me while I'm in civilian life. But you know, it's a case of conditioned reflexes, and if I'm back in a combat zone that there will be they will serve a useful purpose, and so hopefully will I. By serving in the legion. I think there's I've listened to enough military podcasts to know that there are people who might dispute Alex's diagnosis of that sort of thing. But that was that was Alex's version of events, and he said it worked. So for the first few months when he was there, he was training Ukrainian sort of military volunteers, and he was an ex staff sergeant US Army staff sergeant, so he was used to dealing with sort of groups of twenty or thirty men under I think he felt it was, you know, he's making a lot of difference effectively as a force multiplier, more useful really in some ways than what he could achieve individually as a you know, as a combatant.
Speaker 2: But that that training work.
Speaker 3: Stopped after a while, I think fell foul of Ukrainian military bureaucracy, as the things often do. And I think, like many people, he was keen just to sort of see what the combat was like. So he joined a volunteer up in Kharkiv. They were sent to do a drone Wreki one day on his very first mission and about they were up in some forests outside of Kharkiv and they were ran into a much larger Russian unit that effectively ambushed them. The unit he was with scattered. There was about and they all scattered in different directions. Alex and his companion had been told to look for another guy who had gone missing. They felt reluctant to leave the area while this other guy was unaccounted for, mainly out of a sense of duty. That meant that they were still there when the Russians started infiltrating through what they were they saw through the woods in the enormous tracked vehicle going along like a you know, like some kind of prehistoric dinosaur. That was the sort of first glimpse of the Russians, with a whole other Russian soldiers wandering by them.
Speaker 2: They then tried to escape out there.
Speaker 3: I think they walked for about eight seven or eight hours through the Ukrainian forest trying and head back roughly in the direction of Kharkiv.
Speaker 2: No idea who they might be running into.
Speaker 3: Got chased by a wild boar at one point, and eventually I think just at the point when they were hoping they might have got back to sort of what looked like a familiar village, they realized that the soldiers ahead of them were in fact a big, a large gang of Russians. By the time the two groups laid eyes on each other, it was too late to run and they had to surrender basically. And then Alex uh, he was he was roffed up a bit at the time, not too badly, I think, he said. The Russian soldiers that caught them were that sort of yeah, you know, you're another soldier. Yeah you're a foreigner, but you know, we're all soldiers here together. So just the usual kind of customary kicking and then a few conversations about you know, what's you know, what's Joe Biden like, what's you know, what are American women like? You know, they heart all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Here, have a cigarette, mate, have a drink and water. That then abruptly.
Speaker 3: Changed when they were handed over to the Russian intelligence services, and Alex spent about five weeks in a Russian black site prison we'll call that. He doesn't really know what it was, but it certainly wasn't an official prison anywhere somewhere probably in the the Nets People's Republic, the Separatist held, but of Ukraine, where he was tortured pretty much non stop by Russian secret police who thought he was a spy of some sort and were perhaps not surprisingly reluctant to think that any American would be crazy enough to join the International Legion.
Speaker 2: You know, he was sort of saying, yeah, he was a volunteer, and they're saying, no, you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't do that, you know, you wouldn't be mad enough, which was which was a hard one that dissuade them of. And he was electrocuted quite a few times, you know, fairly badly, which he said was far worse than the other treatment that he tortured that he suffered. They also did noise you know, noise torture on them, putting them in a cell, and you know, playing really very loud music at them, although rather amusingly they played band heavy lots of heavy metal bands like Ramstein and other people, you know, sort of death metal and speed metal American stuff, which I think they thought would be the epitome of torture and.
Speaker 2: Might well have worked quite well.
Speaker 3: Again, you know, on Gan tanam Obey INMTES. But for Alex, it was exactly the sort of music that suburban teenagers of Alex's generation grew up with in America.
Speaker 2: Says, oh, you know, here's Ramstein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit loud, and it's you know, it's the third time I've heard this one to day. But it was manageable and it kind of reminded him from home. And I think they played played this this thing on a kind of loop of eighty tracks a day, and it allowed Alex to keep time in a way that he couldn't otherwise because the lights were switched all the whole time, and that they had this sort of slightly surreal experience when his captors told him that they were actually going to try and negotiate for his release via a prison swap or something like that. And he assumed, I think, as we all, would you know somebody, you know, the Russian secret police, secret services would have some sort of hotline to the b I or the CIA that they could do for you organizing these sorts of things.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They presented Alex with a downloaded list of phone numbers for various US departments U S government departments that they printed off the Internet and said, right, you start ringing around these And so he was ringing around, you know, the Department of Homeland Security switchboard and various other places.
Speaker 2: And you know, most of the time never getting through to anybody.
Speaker 3: And on the and on the ed occasion where you know, he did get through to some switchboard operator, you know, when when your spiel as hello, my name is Alex Druki.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a prisoner of war in Russia. I'm being held by the you know, the Russian Secret Police. The answer is yes, I'm sure you are, Thank you, sir. We do not take the nuisance callers here, you know, slams the phoner and eventually I think the Russian is Russian captors discovered a number for the veterans, the US Veterans Crisis Line, which is a real life, you know, help number on.
Speaker 3: Which Alex himself had rung several times when you know, in his bad days back in the in the US, when he was suffering badly from PTSD and overdoing it on the booze. So Alex said, now that this is not the right number to ring. This is a twenty four hour Veterans crisis line, to which his captor apparently said, well, you know this is a crisis though, and you are a veteran.
Speaker 2: Wring the line, Alex kind of went, you know what, I've had enough of this.
Speaker 3: You know you might be right, so he rang it up, and of course, being a veterans crisis line, you know, designed for people who were suicidal, there was actually a human being at the end of the phone who did listen, and who did sort of then say yeah, okay, I'll try and find a number for somebody who can help you, and short, you know, very shortly afterwards put him through to a state Department official who clearly knew who Alex was and who knew about the case, who was in a position to start the process for negotiations for Alex's release. And I won't give away too much in the book, but basically Alex spent about the next four months. He was transferred to a civilian prison with a number of other volunteers, about a dozen of them from various different parts of the world, include a few other Americans and some Brits, and they were held there and eventually released as part of a prisoner swap. But the conditions in that civilian prison, although they were not getting tortured on a regular basis anymore, were still pretty grim. Alex sort of as tells a story about it, was there was a trustee in the prison, another inmate, a Ukrainian inmate.
Speaker 2: Who was a.
Speaker 3: He was employed that sweet the cells and change the light bulbs on the cc TV in the cell. When that went wrong, and uh, the prison guards sort of took great delight in mentioning to Alex so that that guy, yeah, he was a cannibal. He's a convicted cannibal. He's serving several licenses for eating people. And one day they they sort of the prison guards asked this, this cannibal, you know, uh, which of the three prisoners in here would you would you prefer to eat? Because they had Alex and then they had Andy who was Asian, and they also had an African American in the cell as well as which ethnicity would you prefer to dine off? Which I think was an example of kind of a sense sort of dark Russian humor. And as Alex, you know, Alex later reflected her that this this, this this cannibal, I think his name was Ego, was actually you know, one of the few friendly faces in the prison, and he would occasionally give him his you know, his he's used cigarettes cast offs, which they would then Alex and his friends would then sort of dissect and make roll ups from from using bits of bits of paper, pets of newspaper, and you know, but he didn't sort of say, you know, when your idea of a good day is getting you know, cast off cigarettes were convicted, Cannibal does sort of suggest that, you know, he perhaps a bit of a low point.
Speaker 1: Another thing that I thought that I thought was very interesting was he mentions how the interrogators, I guess they were at the other place, at the at the black site, presumably FSB guys. They were very good at torturing the hell out of people, but they were very naive about how America works, like just oblivious.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think they they thought that Alex had been their official. Their suspicion was that Alex had been sent in bar by some US sort of secret service to equip the Ukrainians with the means to manufacture weapons of mass destruction. That the basis for this being that Alex had done a course while he was a US Army staff sergeant on WND disposal, which I think was a fairly standard course that a lot of US military soldiers did prior to the.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and three deployment in Iraq. What that meant was, you knew how to recognize.
Speaker 3: Potentially hazards materials, and the purposes, you know, the sort of procedures for potentially disposing of.
Speaker 2: Them or making them safe.
Speaker 3: They Yeah, they seem to have no real concept of who he was or anything like that, and no way of disbelieving him.
Speaker 2: In any way. And yeah, more generally, I think they're there.
Speaker 3: They're sort of a lot of their sort of experts, dictations or preconceptions about Americans seemed to be drawn from you know, reading US spy novels and so on. You know, it was it was quite commic. You would have thought perhaps it was a you know, just a play of a ploy of some sort to hide the fact that they actually knew what they were doing, But often it didn't seem like that.
Speaker 1: I and then tell us about the guys in Mauropaul.
Speaker 3: In Mariopol, Yeah, yeah, so Mario Paul, as most of your listeners will remember, was the city that the Russians really laid siege to at the beginning of the war. It's down down on the ass of I thinks on the on the ass of the coast of the ass Of seeing southeast on Ukraine's sort of southeastern border. And yeah, it was just basically raised to the ground by shelling and there was a big sort of the Ukrainian forces there mounted a last stand at as Of Steel Works, which is this sort of vast complex steel complex, one of the biggest in the world that runs for several miles. It's just an enormous steel refinery. So there's a million and one place is to hide there if you are a soldier. You know, there's gantries, there's pipes, there's underground bunkers, there's there's miles and miles of service tunnels. And also because there's a Soviet built facility, there are lots of purpose built military bunkers there as well that were built in the anticipation that Marion Paul and the rest of the Soviet Union would one day be attacked by the US or by the West. So you know, it's both a factory and the citadel. And so the Ukrainians mounted a last stand there, and among them was a British fighter by the name of John Harding, and you know he he'd actually joined the Ukrainian military several years before as a volunteer, having previously fought for the Kurdish as a volunteer with the Kurdish anti Isis forces in Iraq, and he was an ex parachute regiment soldier. He also for the Falkland's conflict in nineteen eighty two, which he was getting on by the time the war in Ukraine loomed and I think in fact, he was due to retire. It was his sixtieth birthday was coming up around in twenty twenty two sometime, and I think a month before the war started in January twenty twenty two, he'd said to his commander, I mean, I'm good at it's time I retired. My legs are not what they were, and you know, I don't want to be a liability. And the commander said, well fine, yeah, but do you know that the paperwork will be easier if you if you just wait waited out a month, I said, might.
Speaker 2: He stay on to the end of February? And John said yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: And at that time none of them thought the Ukrainian invasion was going to actually happen, that they just thought this troop build up was just another you know, not a saber rattling exercised by Putin.
Speaker 2: So he stayed on and then on the twenty third of.
Speaker 3: February, the night before the invasion, he literally had his bags packed to head back to the UK and then he got the message the next morning from his comrade saying, oh, yeah, the Russians coming in across the border, and John said, how many of them? And the reply came, all of them. And so it was that John found himself among the soldiers manning with the Azo Brigade who were manning the the sort of last stand in this steel factory and pall the as of steel factory, and he gives a pretty graphic account of that. It's you know that they held out for a long time and basically managed to slow the Russian advance across the rest of Ukraine quite significantly. So the operation was a success from that point of view. But as as the siege went on, I think it lasted until early May, so you know, nearly three months they ran low on supplies and ammunition, and also on medicines and anesthetics. And then John gives a very vivid account at one point of having two you know soldiers, you know, suffering gangrene in their wounds and having to perform amputations without anesthetic, and you know, they would have a surgeon with a bone saw. They would do the job as quickly as he could on a leg or something. She used to take a couple of minutes, and then they would have about six other soldiers just there to hold the patient down to to try and keep them still when you know, on the operating table. And I said that, John, and what was yours sort of you know, what way did it was the only way to prepare people for this? And he said, no, not really. You know what he would say is this this is really gonna fucking hurt. And if you want, I can stick a piece of wood in your mouth that you can bite. But yeah, that's that sort of thing, you know, absolutely extremes of experience. And eventually, yeah, they were ordered to surrender. Put in sealed the place off. He actually realized that he couldn't actually get the soldiers get the ass off. He didn't want to send his own soldiers in because he realized they just still get.
Speaker 2: Keep getting killed.
Speaker 3: You sealed it off, and then the as of soldiers were agreed to surrender and internationally broken surrender on the condition that they would not actually be that they would be taken into Russian custody but not harmed, and of course they were all tortured to within an inch of their life. John was you got a really severe kicking during his spell, his five week spell in the Black Site, to which he tried to make it worse by saying to them, you know you hit like my sister, you or hit like girls, I think, basically actually trying to get them, daring them to kill him, you know, rather than sort of subjecting to really prolonged, serious, more you know, more considered torture. It didn't, but it did break his Sternham. And then later when he was released from captivity, I think he was taking the Hosport system a few months later, having suffered a suspected heart attack, and the doctor said, actually, the signs that you suffered at earlier heart attack, which is probably while you were in captivity, it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a miracle you're still alive.
Speaker 3: So yeah, John is one of you know what, one of thousands of ours off soldiers who sort of went through that experience, but one of relatively few Westerners who's you know, who's been around to tell the tale. And I think that's one of the valuable parts of the book is that you've got American and British soldiers giving first hand accounts of what that brutality, what the what the brutality is like in the Russian system. Because with the best will in the world, to some audiences around the world, when they hear Ukrainians talking about what they often don't perhaps believe, you know, I don't believe the one percent because they feel these are people who've got skin in the game, whereas that's less likely when when it's Westerns who are giving those accounts.
Speaker 1: I mean, as you say that, it reminds me of an American World War Two veteran named Jerry Sage who was captured and he was held in that that that prison is like Stalog three. It was the Great Escape where they tried to dig out. He got transferred. He wasn't part of that. But anyway, his memoir what you're saying that reminds me of it is in his memoir he talks about the end of the war and he his position where he is gets taken over by the Russians, and so the Russians, you know, capture him, liberate him, and they're going to be the ones that repatriate him back to the United States. And he saw how they treated the Poles and other Slavic people in Eastern Europe. It was just disgusted by it. I think he actually got released through Odessa. I think from Odessa he sailed on a ship to Egypt and then the American military picked them back up. But history repeats itself.
Speaker 2: It does, indeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's I mean one of the other soldiers, Andrew Hill, who the guy previously described as Andrew Harding, the British guy. Apologies Andrew, if you're listening. He when when he got back.
Speaker 2: To the UK.
Speaker 3: You know, he there's there's no real support for legionnaires who've who've been through trauma or injury because the British government, like the American government, does not sanction them going out there to Ukraine. It doesn't it doesn't stop, but it doesn't sanction them either. That doesn't doesn't endorse them going and so you don't get you know, you can't go to the US military hospital or UK military hospital and get medical or you know, mental health trauma help, and he ended up going to some local men's health group you know, near his house, are perfectly good, well run mental health charity that had been recommended to him by a friend. But you know, it was one of those things where you you know, you turn up and you're the new guy in the group, and it's like, you know, please share your experience, and he sort of said, like, you know, Andrew Hill, which military volunteer in Ukraine, I was taking prisoner of war by the Russians and I was tortured for five weeks and then held in a pow camp where I nearly staffed to death.
Speaker 2: And you can sort of see, he said, you could see some jaws dropping by a mile in this room. And you know the majority of.
Speaker 3: The other guys in there are people just with every everyday complaints about you know, drink problems, drug problems, arguments with the wife, depression, you know, very much sort of civilian first world issues. And I think he talked for about an hour and a half in that first session. It's supposed to be everybody had ten minutes each, but the rest of them all just like, really what happened?
Speaker 2: And I think it was an interesting evening for his fellow you know, he's felt the people also in the session and no doubt put their problems from the perspective, but it really wasn't suitable for him and I don't think he went back. He needed, you know, to be in with with other military But at.
Speaker 3: The same time, I mean that there wouldn't have been any other military people who would have had an experience comparable to that. There were you know, I don't know there's anybody in the British military living or dead in you know, in the last century who would have had experience of being tortured by the FSB. You might have had a few who'd been experiences of uh, you know, mistreatment in captivity and but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Andy McNabb in the in the Gulf War.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that would be the only sort of comparable experience and you know that that was a long time ago, and yeah, it's the experiences would not have been entirely comparable anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know was special Forces Andrew Andrew Hill was not although he'd done you know, he'd done.
Speaker 2: Conduct under capture training.
Speaker 3: He was a training for try going I think actually, given what he's been through seemed to manage to.
Speaker 2: Cook quite well.
Speaker 3: Although I make a point I'm not talking specifically about Andrew's case here, but I never make any judgments about sort of you know, what kind of mental health state any of the people I interview are in when I interviewed them, because they may not, they may not well disclosed a lot about, you know, what they're feeling inside, even if often you know that they appear to be pretty pretty stable the outside.
Speaker 1: And the story about how these POW's got released is like one of the most bizarre stories that anyone's likely to read in quite a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I think when they were there for about four months and they were all just they several of them have been sentenced, you know, appeared in court in Russian run courts where they'd been told that they were going to get the death sentence, and if if that wasn't gonna happen, they thought they'd get at least twenty five years in the jail they were in, which given the conditions there, would have meant the death sentence by the means, so very few I think expected to last more than about a year. Alex Druki, who we spoke about earlier, had a nail hidden in his mattress, some nail that he pulled out of the the metal struck for the mattress, which I think you said, you know, if I will use this to slip my throat, if this lasts to be on the point where I can stand it, you know, maybe in another year. They're pretty much given up vote. And then there was suddenly told, right.
Speaker 2: You're all moving from this jail.
Speaker 3: They weren't told why, and initially I think they thought this was possibly the month where they're going to be taken and said a firing squad. They were then loaded into a lorry in extremely uncomfortable stress positions, all kind of bound up together and driven from about twelve hours to an unknown destination, all blindfolded, almost willing death by the time they got there, after being twelve hours of being trust up in stress positions, and then they found themselves at an airport in I think Rostov on Don, which is one of the Russian cities actually is a forward base for the for Russian operations in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: And so this is we're out in the you know, we're out of Ukraine. Something's clearly happening. And then they uh, they were then put on a plane with a whole load of Arabs on the plane, Arab men in expensive dress, you know, expensive suits, and they're thinking what is going on here? They're still not told what's going on really.
Speaker 3: And thinking maybe you know these Syrians and we're being transferred to present the sad tender mercies was a mate of prudence at the time. Or it's just the plane going to get got up in the sky and you know what we're gonna We're going to be told that we're on a prison swap and then it's just going to get shot down or developed mysterious mechanical failure and that would be the end of that. But anyway, they duly landed in Saudi Arabia and at that point they met the US diplomats and were told like, yeah, you've you've been. There's been a prison swap. You're free to you know, head home. And some of them have added ink this was happening on the plane on the way over, and the main reason for that was that they had there was this sort of wealthy looking businessman who wandered up and down the plane at one at one point, and he had a striking resemblance to a man called Roman and Vramovich. I don't know how well he is. He well known in the US. Well, he's he's a Russian oli guard and he's he's famous in the UK because he owns, or he used to own, Chelsea Football Club, famous football club in the UK. There's a billionaire, and he'd been sanctioned subsequent to the start of the Ukraine what he'd been sanctioned for his alleged links to President Putin. But he's familiar to a lot of these legionaires who are keen footballers because of the fact that he had owned Chelsea Football Club. And one of them said to said to this chat as he wandered past this man in the in the you know, in the World Cup suit said you don't matter what, mate, you look just like that guy roaming a Braanvitch, the guy who owns Chelsea, who heard of him. And this man turned to him and sort of said, yes, that is because I am Roman Abradovich.
Speaker 2: And it turned out that Roman Abravitch had.
Speaker 3: Organized this this prisoner swap, broken a deal between well, I suppose essentially Britain, America and the Russians whereby the foreign volunteers and about two hundred and fifty other Ukrainian prisoners of war were freed in return for a number of Russian prisoners of war. And a Bravich had done this, I think apparently partly to sort of, I think, to you know, sort of mend his reputation with the West and presumably hope long term that he, you know, he would be able to regain ownership of his assets in the UK, including Chelsea Football Club. There's also no coincidence that the plane landed in Saudi Arabia. Who's Who's president President Leader mohammadan Salman, the Crown Prince was, you know, was also in the diplomatic doghouse at the time over the the killing of a Saudi journalist, Jamal Kashohji, which he was accused of giving the red light the green light too, so both of them had a bit of reputational laundering to do. But that led to the freeing of about you know, twelve or thirteen legionnaires and many Ukrainian soldiers who were otherwise have probably still been there. And that's how Alex Druki, for example, came to fly home at the tail end of twenty twenty two and was then Julie Grill for another three weeks or for several hours by him some FBI guys, which he didn't really want, but he gave lengthy descriptions of the people who tortured him and hopes to this day, I think to maybe one day see them across the dock of a war crime squad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, another person mentioned in your book who has been a guest on this show before is Ryan O'Leary.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, yeah, I mean Ryan I never met. I think we did try to interview once, but just.
Speaker 1: The times never we have like a three and a half hour episode with him.
Speaker 3: He had a lot Yeah, you know, yes, you'll know most of Ryan's history then. But I interviewed one of the soldiers in the book, Jack Knight, worked for Ryan, worked under Ryan and as part of Chosen Company, and fought a number of battles with them. They were a volunteer unit made up mainly of legionnaires, and the interesting thing about Chosen Company, apart from the battles that they they fought in, was that they were essentially essentially an effort to sort of improve the professionalism of the Legion. I think it had gone a bad reputation because of the Walter Mitty characters within the Legion and the sort of fantasists and so on. Other legionnaires Legion units had a bit of a reputation for the only fighting one week in three and spending a lot of time in bars and brothels and brawling and other stuff. And then there were a few other Legionaire units that you know, we were okay, but didn't really do much, didn't really see much action, and Chosen was sort of formed, i think as a sort of a more serious elite legion within the Legion, as it were, and the selection criteria was pretty rigorous. You had to have had i think prior combat experience was certainly prior military experience. And also you know, the idea was that you would be you would be on prolonged deployments, no sort of spending one week in the don Bass and the next week in a bar in Kiev. And also that you would be they were they were going to be frontline combat specialists, doing trench charges and so on, and that you should expect to be injured or killed. No no windin or winding if that happened. So the pretty serious unit and Jack Knight, you know, signed up to serve with them, having had I think a slightly frustrating tour to start off with where he'd you know, he'd done his best to get stuck in in the action down south in hous On in twenty twenty two, but then the Russians rather unsportingly then pulled out of hers on, so the big bat off of house on which I think he was hoping to take part in, didn't happen, and he sort of the count in the book him sort of wandering about liberated her soon and being about the only person who isn't, sort of cheering and waving, sort of thinking like, you know, it's it's it's nice to be here to see everybody free. But I would have liked to have played more of a role in it. And Jack joined the Chosen Company, I think partly to sort of hope to get some proper action. And he had partly in his in his sort of military in his family history, his great great great grandfather had won the Victoria Cross in World War One, and he was keen to try and following his great great grandfather's footsteps because he was from a military family and that kind of thing runs quite thick in the blood if you've got a distinguished ancestor. And yeah, during one of the battles in the Don Bass, where they were trying to take some trenches, things did not go according to plan. There was a large number of soldiers of Chosen Company were injured early on in the battle, and Jack, who was staying at the back at the time because he was there as a sapper ready to go in and clear minds later on, realized that the he wasn't going to be doing much mind clearance if everybody got killed and didn't come back alive, so he volunteered to go into the combat zone and try and stretcher a few people out, and did so, I think, at one point, having to rescue a bunch of Ukrainian guys who'd strayed into a landmine.
Speaker 2: A minefield, and.
Speaker 3: The way he told it's just decided to he had no choice but just to walk randomly into the minefield himself to get them and hope that he wouldn't get blown up himself, basically ignoring everything he'd spent years training to do during his Royal Ordnance and Supper Awareness course, you know, which is always about probing the ground carefully in front of you, if you're in a minefield with a product thing and taking each sort of step, you know, like an in time. He said, there's no time for that, and you know, there were drones ahead, this machine gun fire. I've just got to go for it and try and get these guys out and hope for the best.
Speaker 2: And that's what he did, and he ended up.
Speaker 3: Getting himself a medal, and I think he felt that, you know, he'd you know, to some extent at least followed in his ancestors footsteps. So again, somebody who was who was there very much looking for purpose, who didn't really feel terribly happy in civilian life, and I think certainly found it in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Doing things like that despite the sort of very high risks that you were running.
Speaker 1: And then kind of on like the darker side of things, you talk about two international volunteers who were we think murdered by their own people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to be a little bit careful about what I say on these ones, because I've written about these cases extensively, both in the book and the you know and and in the Telegraph, the newspaper I worked for, and they both live cases as in there are you know, nobody has been arrested in either case, yet there is a particular suspect in one case. What one case involves a guy called Daniel Burker, military volunteer that I interviewed for the book several times and who I spent time without in Ukraine. He had fought, like many of them have, for the with the Kurdish antony Isis forces in in in in Syria, and so when he came to Ukraine, he brought a certain amount of experience as somebody who was used to fighting, you know, the people's wars. He he knew it would be disorganized, He knew you would probably have to sort of get quite a lot of things done for yourself. You couldn't expect to bure opposite to do.
Speaker 2: It for you. And it was a sort of mascot in some ways for the for the volunteer, for the volunteers.
Speaker 3: Early on he ran a unit called the Dark Angels that did some earlier operations, that who posted details of themselveshooting up a Russian tank on social.
Speaker 2: Media that got huge numbers of followings.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's kind of very much summarized the kind of thing that a lot of volunteers wanted to be doing I think, you know. But anyway, in late twenty twenty September twenty twenty three or so, he'd actually diversified into running a humanitarian mission instead, a sort of frontline rescue and support mission, and he went missing for several weeks.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew what had happened to him.
Speaker 3: It was the first maybe just been on a you know, sort of a bit of a boozebender or something for a few days. And if you know the legion are as well, you'll know that it's not unusual for someone to, you know, if they've been on a boozebender.
Speaker 2: Don't expect that he had. Don't expect them to declare the missing for at least about a week. But anyway, he had indeed disappeared.
Speaker 3: A police investigation was launched out of actually and his body was recovered from under a sewer or a culvert near a firing range in the countryside outside of Zaparista in eastern Ukraine. And I think initially people thought, well, maybe you know, of Russian has done this or something like that, but it later became clear that a fellow volunteer had carried out well, it appeared to have carried this, this this killing out. This volunteer later claimed that he'd shot Daniel by mistake, having sort of pretended to what was it he said, He said, I think I think the term is fragging, where you point a weapon at somebody when you shouldn't do and you know it's violating basic military procedure. Apparently Daniel had said to him, you're fagging me while they're out of this range, just having a practice shoot or something.
Speaker 1: Flagging, flagging, flagging or fragging flagging. So flagging is when you're going over with your muzzle over friendly guys that you don't want to shoot. Fragging is when you actually kill one of your own guys intentionally.
Speaker 2: Flagging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, basically when you're pointing your weapon at somebody. Sorry for anyone listening, I'm not I'm not an ex soldier, So worries when you point a weapon at somebody you know who's a friendly force. You know something that you know every boy whatever given a gun or an air gun from you know, the death from the age of five, which is the first rule of weapons craft you ever told. Never point a gun at anyone, whether it's loaded or not. Apparently this this suspect in his shooting had he later told police that he had pointed the gun Daniel Daniels, don't do that, mate, that's stupid, remonstrated from UH, at which point the suspect and then apparently so they said, don't worry, the gun is not loaded, and then fired, you know, pulled the trigger on the gun at Daniel, and sure enough the gun was loaded. He emptied a burst into him and killed him, then panicked and hid him in his body in this sewer. This was the account that he allegedly later gave to police who arrested him. It's not verified, so I should put that whole warning on it. But as you can imagine, it raises more questions than it answers why I would experienced soldier ever point a gun at anybody in the first place, let alone then pulled the trigger on somebody, Because if you imagine that happening in real life, even if that gun was not loaded, the next thing that Daniel would likely have done, having already been annoyed, would probably give him a punch him in the face. They said, don't you ever fucking do that again? I would have done I think so the explanation sort of doesn't seem to sort of bear much truth, unfortunately, for reasons that I've never been made clear.
Speaker 2: The Ukrainian police then let this individual go.
Speaker 3: He was released on bail to a hotel, and then he then made himself scarce, perhaps not surprisingly.
Speaker 1: And he's on the lamp. So he's on the lamp still, yeah.
Speaker 3: And as well, perhaps this dayre unknown, but he is wanted by the Ukrainian police in connection with Daniel's death. I cover that one in the book quite a bit, partly because I knew Daniel, and partly I wanted to sort of try and give a deepailed account of what happened, because there was a lot of a great deal.
Speaker 2: Of claim and counterclaiming it, and.
Speaker 3: Partly because it's sort of when he disappeared, it was very very soon. The finger of suspicion pointed a fellow Legionnaires. Even though nobody knew what had happened at that point. It was just this sort of sense that there are a lot of dodgy Legionnaires out there, and it seems likely that Daniels as unfortunately, had some sort of running with one of them, and you know, it just pointed to the sort of the sense that there were a lot of unsavory characters out there, and that the Legion's vetting was not very good. It did not point a very good picture of the Legion at that point. And that was similar in the other case that I write about the book where a Legionnaire called them. Jordan Chadick, a British guy who was an ex member of the Well Scots Guards who was found in a reservoir in eastern Ukraine some way from the front lines in the summer of twenty twenty three, was lying in the dead in the reservoir and his hands tied behind his back. As I say, the reservoir was some way from the front line, so it was he did not appear to have been killed by Russian soldiers. There were no known Russian separatist crews operating in that area or indeed anywhere else in you know, Ukrainian territory, so it couldn't didn't seem like it was them either. And again suspicion quickly focused on his fellow Legionnaires and apparently had an argument the night before with a bunch of his fellow legionaires while drinking, and some sort of fight had broken out, and the next thing that anybody knew was that he you know, his body had shown up in this in this lake.
Speaker 2: There's a there's there's.
Speaker 3: A limit of what I can say on that one again because it's, uh, it's quite a complicated story. There's a lot of he said, they said, I probably couldn't do justice to on a podcast even if I even if I tried to.
Speaker 1: But the story is given about how he ended up in that reservoir just don't make sense.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, uh, you know, at one point it was said that he was being taken to a local police station where you know, he was going to be held because he was drunk, but instead he ended up in this in this reservoir instead. And you have to ask yourself if somebody is supposed to be getting taken to a police station because they're drunk and have you know, they're they've needed to be restrained by handcuffs for their own safety because they've been involved in the punch up, how does that end up with them then.
Speaker 2: Dead in a reservoir.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody somewhere who would have been you know, in charge of him as a you know, you know, in custody has some questions to answer, clearly, because even if somebody has been violent, even if somebody has been restrained as a prisoner, you know, at that point most soldiers would know, especially if they've ever taken prisoner as a war or anything, that there are certain proceedures you follow to you know, if only to prevent a prisoner harming themselves or or anything else. And clearly that wasn't that didn't happen. And the the tragedy of that case, and one of the tragedies is that, uh, quite apart from Jordan's death, is that you know, nobody has been brought to book for it, and there's a very little sign of any proper judicial process happening, and very little sign of the British government really doing anything to try and question the other British soldiers who were with him at the time. I've spoken several of them. I've asked them, you know, did you know, have you had any anybody from the Foreign Office or the British Police asking to speak to you about this? None of them have, you know, And that would not be that would not be difficult if I can find out who they are. The you know, the Ukrainian police know who they are, They interviewed them all afterwards. They just think what wise are wise are proceding not on the way so that Jordan's mother, among other people, can get some proper answers about what happened, even if it turns out it was some sort of misadventure. But that that that is life in the legion. You know, you're often not fighting with with with people who you're often fighting with kind of rough diamonds of different sorts, and some who are not diamonds at all. But you know, it's what also DAWs draws them to it.
Speaker 2: And it was one of them.
Speaker 3: I was speaking to him who fought in that same unit with Jordan. Uh, you know, in often very tough combat. That's why they're all pistols. Pistols, you know, is drunk, very drunk. So using the English leave was that was why they were all very drunk when this fight broke out. They were drinking off for stress and a very very tough few months of deployment to back Mud. And yeah, I said to this guy, what, you know, what was it like fighting out there? This other guy was in the unit, and he said, yeah, it was, you know, really really hard going, really tough, you know, And I said, you know, did you find it difficult?
Speaker 2: He said, yeah, but I fucking loved it. And I think that.
Speaker 3: Sums up the Legion experience in its classic sense for a lot of the movie.
Speaker 1: And I mean, taking it from there, I want to kind of ask you about any concluding thoughts you have about, you know, your work studying and interviewing the foreigners that served in Ukraine and sort of their impact in the war. I think at the end of the book you have an interesting segment where you talk about how, you know, every single person on the battlefield makes a difference in their own small way, but the foreigners and big picture were probably not strategically relevant to the overall scheme of the war.
Speaker 2: Not enough of them. Ye oh that's right, you yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: So as just said, I don't think the numbers ever reached money much more than sort of twenty or thirty thousand, maybe a few more over the years. But that's so rough bull puck figure. She's about to say much she has fought in the Spanish Civil War and coincidentally is about the same numbers that volunteered to fight for ISIS as in fighting as jahadists in Iraq and Syria from around the world, which puts it into sort of some sort of weird perspective. So with those sort of numbers in a war with you know, maybe about half a million competents on either side are possibly more thirty five thousand or so, Even if it was that many, it's not going to make that much of a difference. Where I think the legion did make a difference, there was just in morale Ukrainians, ordinary Ukrainians in the street would see these guys wandering around in you know, in Ukrainian uniforms, but with these little sort of shoulder badges denoting the fact that they were from the UK or the US or wherever.
Speaker 2: And it was a huge.
Speaker 3: You know, it was a sign to a lot of Ukrainians that look, you know, the world is with you here, we believe in your cause. And yeah, sure, foreign governments, Western governments might not be sending troops. They may not they may not be putting boots on the ground, their own private citizens are and they're here not just to handout aid and deliver you know, first aid packages and medical stuff. They're actually here to fight and die alongside you. That's a big morale booster, I think as well as the you know, the the the individual tactical contributions that they made, whether it was experienced US marines, for example, teaching Ukrainians certain tactical stuff, or whether it was individual groups of volunteers showing metal and initiative. Initiative on the battlefield, which might often just be like, you know, taking a Russian machine gun position there, or making a good judgment call somewhere else, saying now, maybe that that's going to be too tough, stay away from that, that's going to be too difficult, you know, just sound tactical advice. I think a lot of that percolated through to the Ukrainians over time. But yeah, one of the I think that because you had a lot of bad apples, and because they didn't have any huge struty victories were an individual battalion of Legionnaires kind of took a town or village, there weren't many good headlines that the Legions generated. Really unfortunately. A lot of the headlines were about Legionaires killed, legionnaires captured, legionnaires murdered by the Legionnaires, et cetera, and that perhaps did not encourage a you know, many others to sort of join up or certainly that.
Speaker 2: Perhaps not as many as might have done. And also the.
Speaker 3: The logistics around the Legion were pretty poor in terms of people coming in, you know and not sort of you know, the recruitment system was poor, the system to actually get them channeled out to the front was lousy, and so on. And I do make the point in the book that if they'd had a better recruitment system and sort of watermastering system and everything else it's just been better organized, you might have had far more Legionaires coming in.
Speaker 2: This is something I've interested in your opinion, or.
Speaker 3: Actually because I know you've discussed people like outfits like Dying Core and Blackwater a lot on the podcasts in the past. My sort of theory, or one of the theories I advanced to the book is that, you know, if the West had been able to provide some sort of logistical support for the Legion along the lines of a Dying Core or a Blackwater training, that could have trained the legionnaires in the same way as they trained up the Iraqi Army and the Iraqi police or the Afghan army, and that that could have been done, you know, in ukrainive needs to be I think, or if need be elsewhere, and it could have been done on a private basis, that might have made a lot of difference because.
Speaker 2: Bruising experiences.
Speaker 1: You know, Putin got to have his little green Man. Why can't we have ours?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean do you think I mean that there is a political difficulty with it in the British and American governments for example, might feel that it was a step too far, that it was it was one step off training troops. But I mean, you know, they were sending in heavy weaponry, they were sending in you know, they were training Ukrainians in their own countries.
Speaker 2: We have Ukrainian training facilities here in the UK.
Speaker 3: They were doing everything short of that, and in some ways things quite beyond that, with the heavy missiles and everything.
Speaker 2: Do you think that.
Speaker 3: Somewhere like Dying Core or Blackwater would have taken on something like that or do you think it would have been hard to get you know, PMCs to take on such a thing.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, you could. Probably. The thing with private military companies in the United States is that they don't really engage in offensive combat operations. We don't really have that much. We have intelligence contractors, we have logistical contractors, security contractors that do mobile and static security for diplomats and so on, but we don't have like executive outcomes that you know, the South Africans that fought in Angola and Sierra Leone and they really took the fight to the enemy and didn't take any ship at all. We don't really have an equivalent of that. And I guess the question is should we have something like that, and maybe maybe Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't even think you need the equivalent of that though, because what this would be for would be for the training, and.
Speaker 1: It would be it would be a Ukrainian unit with.
Speaker 3: Military to the Ukrainian military units, right, so you wouldn't necessarily need the organizers at the you know, at the shop and a bit like what you You would have pretty much the same model as you'd have in a Rock and Afghanistan, a large scale sort of public sect to the large scale security set to training.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that in the United States at least and to a lesser extent Western Europe. I think we're we were and we are a victim of you know, seventy seventy five years of analysis of the Soviet Union in Russia. That turned out to be wrong in a lot of ways. And we had all these theories about escalation ladders and we're going to do this and then they'll do that. I mean, I think in retrospect, we probably should have just thrown up a no fly zone over Ukraine the day of the invasion and they're like no, like, no, this is unacceptable, and it called putin call him out. I mean, as we know, the Russians only respond when you punch them in the nose and tell them no, like that's not acceptable.
Speaker 3: Well, that's certainly there was a lot of Ukrainian is asking about that at the beginning of the war. Yeah, I mean I would have said that even that was that would.
Speaker 2: Have been riskier than yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what I'm sort of what I've sort of exploring the in the last chapter of the book. And also would I mean, it would have been valuable for the you know, the Britains, for the Western forces because you'd have had loads of people going out there and gaining first hand experience of what it was actually like to fight against the Russians, which would be, you know, which would be extremely useful. And I think it would have probably attracted a far you know, potentially far more soldiers you know, into the Ukrainian military fold, because there'd be a lot of people who probably like.
Speaker 2: Us, including serving US military soldiers.
Speaker 3: They might have had, you know, take a sabbatical of some sort, who would say that, you know, a few three months fighting in Ukraine on the front lines is worth several years of training back home. I mean, it strikes me as a little bit of a failure of imagination. I can think of all sorts of good reasons why it wouldn't happen. But that's always the case when you get a war. There's always people who are going to say we can't do this for reasons they be and c. And often it's it's when people kind of find a reason around that that.
Speaker 2: You get a breakthrough.
Speaker 3: I'd be interested to see, you know, I've not sort of found anybody who's who's really sort of been able to sort of argue the ins and outs of this will I'll be interested to see if any of your listeners have a reason to say, na, sorry, part of that wouldn't work, you know, which they may well be, but it seems a bit like a missed opportunity to me, I must say, and I do remember there's a guy in the book who I quote who sort of says it was a former US Army soldier I think he was unfortunately was actually killed out in Ukraine. And he says, you know, it surprises me. They're not fucked tons of guys from West point out here just learning the ropes, you know, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, he was amazed that the legion was as small as it was. And I think it's a telling point.
Speaker 1: So the book, for people who want to read it, I highly recommend it is The Mad and the Brave. It's a story of Ukraine's foreign legion. Available now. You can find it in bookshops or on Amazon wherever you want to go. Colin, What's what's the next book? What are you working on now?
Speaker 2: Oh? No idea I've done. I think I've done three year before.
Speaker 3: I've done one about my time in the one about being kidnapped in Somalia, otherwise about some other people being kidnapped.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Books do not grow on trees where I know, either where I'm from. Sadly, I often think I would like to do another one on the Ukrainian Legion because every time I meet a Legionaire, even if it's just for a five minute conversation, they always tell me something that happened to them on the battle that makes you think Jesus Christ, I could have got a chapter in the book out of that.
Speaker 2: I wish I'd met you before. You know, that's on the basis of a five minute conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you should.
Speaker 3: Millions, million and ones stories still to be to be written about the Legion and my one basically was kind of written to deadline to make sure it came out early, so you know you, I would not necessarily claim the stories I've done are necessarily the most thrilling stories that the Legionnaires have out there, but maybe the history books will give them.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do another we'll see that'd be great.
Speaker 1: And where can people find you online? Do you have a website or social media or anything.
Speaker 3: The easiest way to reached me is on my Twitter feed, which I'm also on the Blue Sky b or whatever it's called.
Speaker 2: The one.
Speaker 3: It's Colin Freeman nine to nine at so as upon Me at Colin Freeman ninety nine is my Twitter feed and also, to be honest, if you google me, you'll see me see the book and my Telegraph home pace on fairly easy to find you and I can also be found at Colin dot Freeman at Telegraph dot com UK, which is my generic Telegraph email.
Speaker 2: I do check my email and my Twitter feed pretty rankyly on my on my call it spams.
Speaker 3: So yeah, if anybody ever wants to get in touch, feel free to you. And thank you to anyone out there who's who's listening. And I hope I haven't made too many sort of faux pas or bloopers in terms of my military knowledge.
Speaker 1: No, no, it was great, and we'll have links down the description for all of that stuff that where you can go and find Colin in his book. Thank you for joining us tonight, Colin, I really appreciate you taking the time.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everyone else out there, we'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Good. Hey, guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Team House podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on the Teamhouse on our Geopolitics Podcast, Eyes on things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high Side, anything else that we have going on, books, we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you go and check it out. We send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content on a weekly basis. You can find our newsletter at Teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join again. The website for that is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash join So we hope to see you there.
Speaker 2: The link will be down the description