Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It's a podcast, but it's live. How crazy is that? Nobody to edit anything. Anything could happen at.
Speaker 2: Any time, anytime. Oh my goodness, many times it has happened. That's right, all right, well listen, we'll get into fire coverage. The good news is that the supulvt of fire that started last night just before midnight has pretty much stopped. They are still saying it's zero percent containment, but that doesn't mean that it's expanding in any way. Also, the Hues fire up in the Castaic area, Man, it was an adventure getting home because people were just slowing down to look at smoke, right, I mean, going northward?
Speaker 3: Can I see? How can I see it? Who can I talk to about it?
Speaker 2: There's a point where you get to the bottom of the hill headed up on to the New Hall Pass, so sort of where the fourteen splits off after the two times, and there's a point where you couldn't see the smoke anymore. Traffic was flowing at seventy five miles an hour. You go over the hill, and you could see the smoke. Traffic's down to nine miles an hour because people can't figure out and that was long before the closure would have impacted traffic. It was a little frustrating, but there's good news on both of those fronts. As quickly as that Hughes fire expanded, it has been stopped.
Speaker 3: It looks like for the most.
Speaker 1: Part, I can tell why you have an extra spring in your step. I know that you thought that I would forget, but I have not. I know that the US Figure Skating Championship starts tonight, and I know you get I'm looking.
Speaker 3: At the date trying to figure out is there a date that I forgot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thursday, January twenty third. The pair's short program airs at three pm OUR time. The women's short program airs at five to twenty YUR time. You can catch them on Peacock and the USA Network. I know it's a big time of year for you. You've been practicing your triple sockows sal cow.
Speaker 3: Excuse me. I just want you to be right. I know, I apologize.
Speaker 1: I should have gotten my ducks in a row before I started talking about it.
Speaker 3: We didn't get a chance to.
Speaker 2: Tie a bow on the whole hot sauce discussion yesterday, so we'll do that a little bit later this hour. We were asking people what's your favorite hot sauce? And I was amazed there are a whole lot more hot sauces out there than I knew.
Speaker 3: I was going to touch a nerve with that.
Speaker 1: People are very serious and very loyal to their hot sauces as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, the one that kind of disturbed me yesterday was the woman who said her son, luks It likes the Dill Pickle hot sauce, which sounds odd.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to try that. Maybe you should order us some, but there are some others that look pretty good. I wonder if you can get that on Amazon.
Speaker 4: Trump.
Speaker 2: Last night, President Trump said down for a lengthy interview with Sean Hannity in the Oval Office. I watched a lot of it just to try to see if this was, I mean, one of the things that I've been I don't know why I'm surprised at it. This is the same guy. It's the same guy that we saw four years ago. It's the same guy that since he started his campaign to become president again, even after what we saw with the assassination attempt in Pennsylvania. He claims that he's a different person. He's not a different person. He's the same guy. But he was talking specifically about federal money to help fire victims here in California and the conditions upon which he would set that money, how government, state government uses water policy is what he's talking about. And some of the stuff that he has said is pretty much out of left field.
Speaker 3: And he's coming to the state tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Still some question about whether or not Gavin Newsom is going to meet him once he gets off Air Force one.
Speaker 1: Now this was called pickle crack, right, the dill pickle hot sauce.
Speaker 3: So I think that's what they say.
Speaker 1: All right, we will try it on Monday. Okay, it will be here Saturday.
Speaker 2: We also have Oscar nominations in Demi Moore got her first Oscar nomine Good and she was exceptions.
Speaker 3: She was exceptional in that movie.
Speaker 1: It was It was a great movie and just the whole, the whole backstory that she talked about at the Golden Globes about how she was a young actress obviously beautiful, was told she was not going to do anything serious, she was going to be a popcorn film girl. She was gonna make a lot of money doing these cute, pretty girl movies, and that that's where she thought she had to live for her whole career, and that now she takes this chance doing Albeit she does look beautiful in the entire movie, even when they're trying to make her grotesque, she's beautiful, but nevertheless a more serious role. And she's done things that have been serious. Well, you know, she did a few good men she did.
Speaker 2: Those two movies are perfect examples.
Speaker 3: She had the she does have. She has the ability she does.
Speaker 1: She just it's almost like she wasn't used to the to the to the best of her ability. Yeah enough, we'll talk about that. There's the weirdest story of the day.
Speaker 3: Is this about the monkey, the deer and the deer. Listen.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you look around and you see something and you're like, huh, go on, well, I mean we've seen it before. I mean I have a couple of books it's called that. They're called unlikely friendships, where different animals in the animal kingdom will kind of make friends with animals you never thought that they would make friends with, likegons hang in a duck.
Speaker 3: This goes beyond friendship.
Speaker 1: You know, I think sometimes a lot of the unlikely friendships become bang bangerships, banger ships just banging around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Is that a term you learned in your new People magazine is banger ships?
Speaker 1: No, I just made it up. I coined it myself. Don't know my People magazine. I bring in the freaking Sunday New York Times.
Speaker 3: Oh why do you have a paper? Oh, it's a paper. You read the paper I bring it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is that when you read in your People magazine? Okay, I read.
Speaker 2: The first voice was not me, The second one was your imitation of Matt money Smith. And third thing, I've never made fun of you for bringing in a newspaper.
Speaker 1: I thought we had to know Matt fly Zone on this show. Oh do you want to hear from Matt? You put them on at three am like the rest of the people around here. Gary Chenna will continue.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get us in trouble.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Latest. When it comes to fires here in just a second. But first, a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website money. That's money, m O n e Y. Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the Winning Attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million, that's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: That keyword is going to go on the website.
Speaker 2: Make sure you keep an eye on your email in boxin that's how we're going to let you know that you won one thousand dollars from us.
Speaker 3: We'll do it again an hour from now.
Speaker 1: So this morning I woke up, looked at my phone and had an alert from the Watch Duty app, which, by the way, this is the app to use if you haven't. I have realized how valuable it is with moment to moment updated information on every fire in the area.
Speaker 3: The watch Study app.
Speaker 1: It is free, it is nonprofit, It works spectacularly. It monitors radio traffic scanners, all the things. Anyway, woke up this morning to an alert saying supulvit a fire evacuations and I thought, oh, man, it was only a matter of time, right. Suppulvita Pass is a very popular area for flames to take off when we've got conditions like we have these dry conditions no rain in nine months, and that was what happened. Firefighters working diligently overnight to get an upper hand on that fire exploded off the four five near Getty Center. We've seen this time and time again. They jumped on it right away. Thankfully, the winds were not bad gus just up to twenty five miles per hour, so they were able to get helicopters fixed, wing up and over this thing quickly. Forty acres is what it grew to. But they made quick work out of that one.
Speaker 2: They have just asked for or a couple more helicopters out on a fire in Ventura County. In fact, CSU Channel Islands is telling people to evacuate the CSU Channel Islands campus and University Glen immediately. Potrero Road is closed out there. This is called the Laguna Fire again burning out towards CSU Channel Islands. It's up in the hill right now and as of right now it's only a couple of acres.
Speaker 3: But they're saying the wind conditions in the area are not great.
Speaker 2: We saw an example of that yesterday when the Hughes fire took off during our show.
Speaker 1: Over the next twenty four hours, it's going to be critical. It is another wind event, nothing like we saw a few weeks ago, but dangerous. Nevertheless, that Hughes fire, by the way, we reported it as it was breaking out yesterday during the show started about ten thirty yesterday morning. More than fifty thousand people had to get out because of that thing. It eight through sixteen square miles. Think about that quick listen. San Francisco is seven square miles.
Speaker 2: Grew much faster than the Eaten fire or the Palisades fire, which in and of itself, just because it's that's sort of the recent memory that everybody remembers. This thing went to ten thousand acres quickly.
Speaker 1: The good news is the winds weren't bad and they had you know, water, We had water, yeah, well, a lot of reservoirs all of it.
Speaker 2: Also, David Acune is a battalion chief for cal Fire, and said that because of what we had seen with Palisades, because of what we had seen with Eton and other fires in the last couple of weeks they had everything ready to go.
Speaker 7: We had more than a dozen other fires that we were able to keep to a low acreage, primarily because we had so many surged resources spread throughout southern California as well as on our mobilization sent on Riverside County, so all those resources were immediately employed. In fact, we had a number of strike teams in the Santa Clarita area, which is right next to Cascaics that were immediately deployed and on the fire line. So we have gotten all the resources that we need in having that aircraft, but absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: They had all kinds of fixed wing and helicopters. Last night going over this fire in the Hughes fire area right along cast Take Lake. We mentioned or I watched the news conference and Sheriff Luna said as soon as they finished the news conference, they were going to open Eye five, and they did. One of the reasons that they had it closed, he said, was that they wanted to make sure that they were able to get the fire equipment in and out of the areas and to get it done again. The fire that has picked up today is this fire that is burning out near Csu Channel Islands. They have ordered the evacuation of the campus itself and Channel Islands and an area to the north. A couple of helicopters there have been already called in and it is a small number, sorry, small size, It's only a couple of acres. But at this point, it is burning on a it looks like a hill, a knoll that exists right there off of Potrero Road and Waanimi Road, so it's in that area. It doesn't there's a lot of farm land around it, which doesn't burn anywhere near as quickly as the wildland brush that's in on that hill, on that knoll. But they have, just as a precaution, ordered the evacuation of CSU Channel Islands to make sure that everybody gets off safe.
Speaker 1: Trump weighed in on our water situation in California on Fox News Sean Hannity's program. It was an interview yesterday, and it was what Trump had told John Cobelt when John talked to him months ago. Essentially, California needs to figure out its water issue, and until they figure out its water issue in terms of protecting the smelts, which in his words, I think where it's not even an important fish until we figure out a way to get the water from northern California to southern California, make use of our of our water reclamation ideas and reservoirs and all of that, but the federal government's not going to help until we get our ducks.
Speaker 3: In a row.
Speaker 2: He's going down the wrong road here because he also expanded from not just California's water policy, but international and regional water policy, where he thinks there is a valve that exists where water from Washington State can flow into California. There's a valve, and he refers to it all the time, And I don't know if he's if this is again one of those times where we take him literally or figuratively.
Speaker 3: We take him seriously. But what is he talking about? We'll explain. You can hear from him yourself.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 3: Forty everywhere on the iHeart Radio listen.
Speaker 1: Projectile Blood isn't for everybody, No, it's not, but hey, it works. I like the substance. Some people did not like the substance, which is fine. Are ready I'm saying that about me right now? She's right there.
Speaker 3: No, I have.
Speaker 1: A girlfriend who said she had to stop watching it as well. She said she liked just Like You Amy. She says she liked the beginning, she liked the premise, but then it just got too weird.
Speaker 3: And the needles, if you don't like needles, this is not the movie.
Speaker 6: So true.
Speaker 1: And the back wound with the push that was awful.
Speaker 3: Sorry awful.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more about I had to look away into our Oscar nominations.
Speaker 1: Listen if you're in for like a weight loss, if you want to break your habit of eating while you watch a movie, that'll do it.
Speaker 2: On our red flag warning has been extended. We are now going to be under red flag warnings until tomorrow. As a result, we have continued to see very aggressive reactions whenever a fire crops up, and we have seen the latest one out in Ventura County. This is burning near CSU Channel Islands. They said that this lagoon of fire in Ventura County is now fifteen acres. They said the potential for it to grow to about forty acres, but that they are making good progress.
Speaker 3: Very few structures in that area.
Speaker 2: Like I said, it is visible from CSU Channel Islands, but it's not expected to make it to campus, although they did evacuate campus just as an absolute precaution. The Hues fire up near Castaic Lake at ten thousand plus acres and about fourteen percent containment. A lot of those areas west of I five that were under evacuation orders were downgraded to warnings last night just about eleven and according to according to the air attack the guys with this eyeballs up in the helicopters, they said that the fires looking pretty quiet today. If the smoke was any indication, or I should say lack of smoke was any indication this morning when I got up, they should have a pretty good day on that one.
Speaker 3: But they are.
Speaker 2: Requesting a couple of Type one helicopters still up and around Castaic Lake. And then the Supulsita fire they started last night off the four or five freeway. All of the forward progress has been but you're going to see cruise in that area right off the four to five near north to Polva and Getty Center Drive because they're going to make sure that they mop it up and that thing does not get out of control. Because of the winds that we will still see still very cold in many many parts of the country. They said very bitter cold could affect as much as two hundred and thirty five million people everywhere from the northern plains from Montana down to Georgia. Basically, some forecast temperatures experiencing downright dangerous temperatures depending where you are. The forecast for Lake Charles, Louisiana today ten degrees.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is not normal.
Speaker 2: The forecast for Morgantown, West Virginia ten below. Virginia can have some weather, but ten below is pretty ridiculous. President Trump expected to make his way out to California tomorrow, and he's going to stop it. I believe in North Carolina first and look at hurricane recovery there, but he's going to come here and look at fire damage. And he was on Hannity last night with a very lengthy interview. I think they're actually covering or re doing more of it tonight because.
Speaker 3: It was that long.
Speaker 2: But he said, he said this about recovery and federal emergency moneies going to recover from disaster areas.
Speaker 8: I don't think we should give California anything until they let water flow down into there. Just from the north to the south is a political thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: He talked earlier this week about that same issue and suggested that water from the Pacific Northwest should be brought to California for a.
Speaker 9: Deal involving wildfire relief, in an extension for.
Speaker 8: What I'm what I really want to have done. I was talking about this with the guys back back in the Oval Office. Let's Los Angeles has massive amounts of water available to it. All they have to do is turn the valve. And that's the valve coming back from and down from the Pacific Northwest, where millions of gallons of water a week and a day, even in many cases pours into California, goes all through California down to Los Angeles, and they turned it off. It's off. Now the valve goes, it turns toward the Pacific Ocean and all that water goes pouring into the Pacific Ocean. If they did what I told them to do, they wouldn't do it because politically they didn't think it was good.
Speaker 3: I think it's great.
Speaker 8: Politically, I think they're dead politically. What they've done, They've destroyed the city.
Speaker 3: I'll be naive here.
Speaker 2: I've lived in both California and the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what he's talking that's because.
Speaker 1: It doesn't exist, no canal, no pipeline exists. To do so would be insanely complicated. It's just not a argue. The northern to southern California water flow issue, that is a real thing, dealing with the smelt, dealing with water rights, all of that.
Speaker 3: There is no pipeline from Washington. That is not something that is real.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's referring to if he's talking about a dumb down version of just open the valve from northern California to southern California. Okay, I get what you're trying to say. There shall we go back through why we protect the smelts and the history of that to people care Well, it was the nineteen nineties when state and federal officials declared the Delta smelt threatened with extinction, which required a certain amount of water to flow through the river system to sustain the dwindling numbers of the smelt. The rest of the water pump to irrigate, farm service, drinking waters and all of that. It's kind of a chain of life sort of thing. The smell is a key food source for birds and bigger fish. You don't want to interrupt the chain of the life and all the thing yet, all the things. Yet Trump says it's a worthless fish, that the smelt exists in other places as well, that we don't need to do without water down here from the north to save the smelt.
Speaker 2: There was also a recent survey that showed they don't know where it is. I mean that it's effectively extinct already, that there is. The recent surveys they haven't been able to find any delta smell. So maybe they're gone already and we're just continuing to pour this water well down the proverbial drain.
Speaker 1: Is it a political fight that uses the smelt as armor?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: It does Northern California not want to send their water our way.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: You look at the recent fires, and it's easy to say, oh, it's the worthless fish, and they would have had watered. When we talked to the firefighters, they talked about the fire hydrant situation.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was that empty reservoir. That's another problem.
Speaker 1: But the fire hydrants were out of water because of over use, because they have been back and back and back and back and back and there was just no way to keep up with that level of demand.
Speaker 2: That's a distinct in the moment right problem with the fire hydrants. That's different than saying the reservoir in Owen's Valley or something like that is not full.
Speaker 1: I'm all for streamlining things. I'm all for dumbing down things and reducing to the lowest common denominator so we can all understand it. But the water issue is multifaceted. It's like comprehensive immigration reform. It's just not that easy to break it down.
Speaker 2: Up next, well, continue something we didn't get to yesterday because the fire. I mean, there's a little bit of irony here that we had to talk about the fire.
Speaker 3: But we were gonna talk about hot sauce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll play some of your favorite hot sauces when we come back to Gary and Channing.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Channon on demand from KF six forty.
Speaker 1: I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Stories we are following for you today, well, I mean, we're following all the stories for you like we do every day. But President Trump says the inflation crisis is the worst in modern history, he addressed the World Economic Forum virtually as it took place in Switzerland today, marking his first major speech to global economic leaders. He placed the blame for rising prices on Biden, of course, also urged businesses to begin producing their products in the US.
Speaker 2: Nancy Pelosi's husband made thirty eight million dollars worth of stock trades in They kill it.
Speaker 3: They kill it. It's a whole thing following what the Pelosis do.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. He now he had this to begin with. He had some shares in some firms. He sold twenty four million dollars worth of applestock five million dollars worth of shares in Nvidia. Both of those were executed on December thirty first, according to government folence, and she, by the way, is legally required to disclose the stock trades that her husband makes.
Speaker 1: A rare copy of the Declaration of Independence is going to auction. Copy was from July seventeen seventy six. It was printed to help spread the document to the public. It's the one of only ten known to be in existence, most of which are in collections. How much do you think this would get? How much did that show? Hey, a tani ball go for.
Speaker 3: I don't remember millions, a couple millions.
Speaker 1: This one rare copy of the Declaration of Independence, just four million.
Speaker 3: Dollars at auction' that's baseball stuff.
Speaker 2: A woman in Romania who had not been heard from for a few days she a gymnast eaten by her dogs. Usually it's cats to do that kind of thing. Adriana Nagoa. Her family members raised alarm they hadn't heard from her in a few days. She lived northwest of Bucharest, had not responded to phone calls or messages, and when relatives visited the flat, no response, so they asked the police to come by. Police found her on the floor, half eaten by pugs.
Speaker 1: What pugs, huh? They're usually such a sweet animal. They sniffle a lot, they make a lot of breathing and snot noises, but they're delightful.
Speaker 3: What did she have smeared on her? Was it butter? Did she?
Speaker 9: Was?
Speaker 3: She covered in cinnamon rolls? Probably hot sauce of some kind.
Speaker 5: I know, I thought it was funny, but now I think it's just pretty sad. You have no idea what you're talking about. Again, as somebody who works in the water industry, watering that does exist the valve. That's just terrible. You have so many people listening to you eating up what you're saying. You have no idea what you're talking about. Empty heads, empty healthy. You're an empty head.
Speaker 3: You didn't show your math, bro.
Speaker 2: Where is the valve that allows water from the pas northwest to flow to southern California.
Speaker 3: That's all I ask. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would have a lot of different hot sauces and sauces, but there was one. It was when I was in Kenya, Africa. It was with some missionaries that were from Ethiopia and they had this hot sauce. I can't even tell you what it was, but it was a thicker kind of hot sauce less tomato e. But what we ate it on was banana. You did bananas in it and ate it. It was a phenomenal taste.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Hot sauce on a banana, specifically Ethiopian hot sauce on a banana.
Speaker 9: Gary Shannon male female, Hey sauce sauce O here hot sauce chiluba or sandwiches chilulum tabasco for breakfast.
Speaker 3: Once in a while, to patio for dinner.
Speaker 9: Okay, and my go to and the weird stuff that I puld in my beer is crystal.
Speaker 1: Those are all great tis. I must have around with all those hot sauces. But like I will just say, when it's breakfast and eggs are involved, like I don't get picky, Like give me a hot sauce, I don't care what it is.
Speaker 3: I'll mix them. I'll get crazy mix it.
Speaker 2: If I'm at the diner style breakfast kind of place, I'll throw on both tapata.
Speaker 1: It's the morning, I'm barely awake. I'm not picky. Just give me my eggs with my red stuff.
Speaker 3: It wake that mouth up. Hey, good morning, Marty from Denver.
Speaker 10: The hot sauce I like the best.
Speaker 4: Marie Sharks from Belize their Havenaro pepper sauce. It's great stuff.
Speaker 3: Sharps, Hey, Gary and Shannon, this is Mandy. I put oh Man Tabasco sauce on my cottage cheese. I don't know if that's weird or not. I have a good day. I love you, sent you away. You can't hear Mandy and not break into song.
Speaker 10: Hey, Gary and Shannon, Sean from Long Beach, I love all of those hot sauce described top of TiO talula, et cetera. However, my favorite hot sauce, as is my wife's, is one that's typically only available from the Central Coast heading north, and it's called pepper plant. We discovered it three or four years ago when we were at more Obey. It's amazingly great.
Speaker 3: All right, I've not heard of that. Good morning, Gary and Shanny. It's Johnny D up in ventur, Johnny J.
Speaker 8: I like to take a saltine cracker butter on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the tabasco sauce.
Speaker 1: Johnny D. You're speaking my language. I like saltees. I'll do a lot of things to.
Speaker 3: Salt a great day, guys. You put butter on a salteine.
Speaker 1: I put I put mayonnaise on a saltine, a slice of salami.
Speaker 3: I call them salami surprises.
Speaker 11: Yes, my favorite hot sauce is no hot sauce.
Speaker 3: I ate all hot sauce.
Speaker 11: I hate it. And I don't know why they are pushing hot sauce everywhere. You go up with the hot sauce. Yeah, no hot sauce. Somebody, I'm writing my congressman kids.
Speaker 1: Somebody's got a sensitive tummy. Man All Tom Tom.
Speaker 11: After forty one years My favorite hot sauce is my wife.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I get it all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we will get an update on all of the fires. One broke up in the pulvit a passive ver night. We've got an update on the Hughes fire. There's a new one out of CSU Channel Islands to get you caught up on, and what we get empty heads and what we can look forward to when it comes to what we're dealing with wind Wyse in the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: We'll have it all coming up next.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our show, do not forget. You can check out the podcast KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Garyanshannon, or just search Gary and Shannon wherever you find podcasts.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap