Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a very special edition of Full Circle the podcast. I'm your host. Martha Madrigald, my guest today, is truly one of my heroes. I first discovered her watching Screaming Queens, the Riot at Compton's Cafeteria, for which she won an Emmy. She has had a long and distinguished academic career and she literally wrote the book on transgender history, Transgender History, The Roots of Today's Revolution. Please welcome doctor Susan Striker to the Full Circle Table. Hello Susan, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hello? Martha, I'm doing well since you're broadcasting from Barbary Lane, it's just like, what's your relationship to Anna?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, as I was transitioning and before that, Charles, my partner, said, you know, you're some wonderful combination of Martha Stewart and Anna Madrigal. And we moved to the childhood home where I grew up, and there's a wooden staircase out back by the patio that kind of goes up to the second floor. We were sitting there watching folks, you know, kind of go up and down at a barbecue and on the wooden staircase and he said, this really is the Barbary Lane and I said, well, it's like East Barbary Lane because we're in New Jersey. And Martha, Martha Madrigal was you know, it was the first name given to me, just completely in love and completely accepting of who I.
Speaker 2: Was, so it stuck.
Speaker 1: So that's that's how it's connected. And we love Armistead mop and I'm I mean we did that.
Speaker 2: We both grew Yeah, such a great story. Yeah, yeah, So being a San Franciscan, the Ani Madrigal character in the Tales of the City books are just near and dear to my heart. And I had a chance to ask Armistead once about the origin of that character, because there's somebody that I had come across in my research, a trans woman named Louise Lawrence who lived in the Bay Area in the nineteen forties through eighties, I think it was, And you know, she seemed very much like a real life an a Madrigal. She rented rooms to people, she helped connect a lot of trans women to medical service providers. People might be coming out on to the West Coast to you know, get surgery or see a doctor, and she would put them up. I remember one story I read about her that when Christine Jorkinson was in San Francisco, she happened to buy a car and Louise Lawrence drove the car back across the country to New York for Christine. You know, she just seems to be a pretty fabulous character. She's the person who introduced Alfred Kinsey to a lot of the trans women who were in his survey. So I asked armis that. I said, could it be you know, by chance that you met Louise Lawrence and was at the basis for Anna Madrigal And he said no, Actually it was somebody who I remember their former name. They were somebody who started out as a female impersonator quote unquote named Kenneth Marlowe. And I forget the name that she took after she transitioned, but Marlowe would tell stories about having been raised in a wholehouse in Nevada. Armistead met her at a fundraiser when she was transitioning called putting on the tits. Wow, that and that he thought he thought that she was a fabulous raconteur, and that that was he said, that was the origin of some of the backstory.
Speaker 1: I love that, yeah, because I haven't heard that, like who it was? That's interesting, and I have never heard of Louise Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Well, there is actually a small nonprofit archive in San Francisco, actually in a suburb of San Francisco, Valeo, run by the fabulous Miss Botton Davis, who is a queen of a certain age who made it their kind of retirement project to open their vast collection of trans historical materials to the public. And they run something that they now call the Louise Lawrence Memorial Archive. You go look it up on the website. It's a physically sponsored project of the GLBT Historical Society in San Francisco. And they're fabulous, you know, And I think it's great that they took that name to honor an unsung San Francisco trans woman of some significance. You might have heard of Virginia Prince, heard them who, right, Well, Virginia Prince. The first other cross dresser she met was Louise Lawrence. Because Louise lived in the Bay Area, she would do things like go to University of California at San Francisco, which was the medical school, and would would do like these like brown bag lunches, educationating service providers about trans trans needs. You know, she'd be like, hello, I am a what she called a transvestite or a permanent transvestite. I mean that she never had surgery, never took hormones, but she lived full time as a woman. And that that was who Virginia Prince met. That Virginia Prince was at a PhD in pharmacology, was doing a post doc at uc San Francisco, was going to these little brown bag lunches and that's where she met the first person that she knew to be trans and where she took her name. Virginia and Prince were from these streets near Louise Lawrence's house, Virginia Street and Prince Street, and that that is where she you know, that's how she became Virginia Prince. And the mailing list for all of those old you know, transvestia newsletters that you know that all the all the organizations that Virginia Prince wound up starting, the original mailing list came from Louise Lawrence because she had built this network of people back in the forties and early fifties that she would read the newspapers. She would notice somebody who was arrested for cross dressing, you know, you know, man caught, you know, and ladies attire blah blah blah. Right, and back in the day, they would publish people's names and addresses in the newspapers, and Louise Lawrence would write to them and say, like, you know, you know dear, you know John Doe, you know it saw your name of the paper tucks being you. But you're not alone and if you'd like to meet other people who you know are similarly inclined. Yeah, And so that's where the first subscription lists for those early transvestine you know, as they said in the day newsletters came from.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's so much about the language because we didn't have the words, you know, and and language is still evolving very much.
Speaker 2: Very much. So yeah, so if as a historian, I'm using names or words that you know, people today like, that's not how always say things. It's like absolutely right, right And and also you know, to say when when Louise Lawrence would say things like I am a permanent transvestite, it's like, well, the word transsexual had not been coined or transgender was not in use, and so you know, as you said, language.
Speaker 1: Evolved, right, And the person that comes to mind often is Marcia P. Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, we used the word you mentioned my film Screaming Queens. It's like we used the word queen rather deliberately because that was the word that people used about themselves. It's like in Queen, you know, some queens were women and some queens were men. You know, it's like it was a complicated category. You know, it could be people who identified as trans women and hadn't had a chance to fully actualize themselves yet. Like maybe they were you know, working in the street based economies to try to like make their surgery and hormone money. Maybe they were guys who just you know, tricked in women's clothing. You know, maybe they were people who never intended to transition and they were living exactly how they wanted to live as a transfeminine person. So you know, but the word queen was the word that described that entire group of people, usually who were involved in some street culture of some of some kind. So yeah, so you know, now we say, you know, Mark and Sylvia, you know, they were the you know, fore mothers of our movement. It's like they used the word queen and they used the word transvestite about themselves start Street transvestite Action Revolutionaries.
Speaker 1: And Sylvia I think even more than Marcia from what from the way I understand it. You know, Marcia would sometimes present his male would sometimes be out there, you know, with her male name and sometimes was he and him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and well Sylvia too. It's like she got really disgruntled with gay community in New York by the early nineteen seventies and she moved off. She was upstate. She was using the name Ray again, was mostly working as a man. I mean, was you know, never closeted about being gay and gender queer and certainly never hid her past. But you know, she lived for a long time, you know, again in a more male presenting way, and then later in life she was like, you know, no, like this isn't right, and she you know, kind of came back out as Sylvia once more. So both Marcia and Sylvia went in an in and out of presenting in a more trans transish kind of way.
Speaker 1: Right. It's interesting, and Sylvia did it felt like she had her moment kind of in the sun towards the end of her life.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you know, I was, yeah, and I was just really glad that she was someone was rediscovered by a younger generation of people.
Speaker 1: She had that time of being celebrated. Was it England or was it Italy where they brought her over for Pride?
Speaker 2: It was in Italy. Yeah, Yeah. I had a when I went to do some some work with some of the trans folks in Bologna, Italy, which is an amazing place, an amazing community of people. There, they very proudly, you know, trotted out photos of of Sylvia and of Leslie Feinberg who had who they had brought to work with them. You know what. One of the things that I remember about Star, I mean remember in the sense of being a historian who's studied, is like I found this pamphlet or you know, flyer once where they were making their demands for you know, what they wanted, and it, you know, said something like, you know, in every city of a million people, there needs to be a clinic dedicated to you know, trans people. It's like there needs to be doctors on site, and there need to be job placement programs, and there needs to be you know this, that and the other and there needs to be something that helps people who've been incarcerated. It's like boom boom boom boom bum, like these this ten point program that they had, and that is exactly what they had in Bologna. It's like the city government because it used to be a they called it red Bologna for a reason, and not just for the red tile roofs. It's like that it was a stronghold of leftist politics, and the left leaning government of Bologna was like totally supportive of trans rights. They gave the trans community a building. It's like they gave the gay community a building. But they also recognized that trans issues overlapped but were different, and there was a separate trans organization. It stood Formento Italiano Transcessuale initially and then they changed it to me like Movement of Italian Transgender People. They changed what the logo meant. But the MIT building in Bologna, it was owned by this organization that served trans people. They had like dropping medical clinics, they had job placements stuff. Everybody who worked there was formerly incarcerated and this was like a job for them, you know, to get going. They had a hormone clinic, they had surgical referrals, they had counseling sessions, they had social events, they ran a film festival, and it's like, you know, it was it was amazing and they were, in a sense like doing exactly what Sylvia and Star back in the day said should be done. And you know, they managed to do it well before we've ever managed to do something like that in the You know.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to me what happens when we actually listened to the people involved, you know, and that that's across the board, but you know, it sounds like, wow, they actually listened to trans people about what our needs and you know, how we would serve our community and how we would best act. In watching all of the the legislation encounter legislation around conversion therapy, the one place that really kind of gave me heart was New Zealand because New Zealand is one of the very few places who actually seem to get it right and said, this also has to apply to religion. You know, we can't exempt a religion because that's where most of this damage is happening. And they got there by listening to the folks who were most impacted. And they've done that over with some different legislation too, you know, in terms of sex work, in terms of actually listening to the people involved and saying, you know, what would keep you saved? What do you need from your government? Imagine that as a concept.
Speaker 2: Imagine that a government saying we're here for the people, right, That's why government ex this, you know, It's like, what do the people need? How can life be better?
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. That's what you know. I hold on to that. I hold on to that ideal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: As I was reading there were some names in transgender history. The first one that really struck me was read Ericson, who is another person I had never known about until I read the book.
Speaker 2: He was. He was amazing. I mean just I first, I mean as a as a young trans thing. When I was first starting to you know, sniff around and look for information back in the later probably not later seventies, I hadn't found anything by that, but sort of the early eighties I would come across these pamphlets that said, you know, the legal aspects of transsexualism, you know, put out by the the Ericson Educational Foundation. What is that? You know? And there was a whole series of self help pamphlets. It's like, you know, how to legally change your name. Now. Eric's an educational foundation. And by the time I started, you know, being a serious historian of the you know, the trans movement of trans people's lives, mostly in North America, mostly in the parts of North America that are now the United States. It was at that time, in the early nineties, that I learned who was this person behind the Ericson Educational Foundation. And his name was Read Ericson. He went by Eric, Eric Erickson, or just Ericson most of the time he was a trans man. He transitioned in nineteen six two. He was fabulously wealthy. His his father was an electrical engineer, and that he had sent Ericson the son, you know, to kind of learn the family business. Ericson was the first person assigned female at birth to get a master's degree in engineering from Louisiana State University. And what they were doing in Louisiana, because the family was based mostly in Philadelphia, was that they ran a business called Schoogl Industries that that took old car batteries, extracted the lead from them, and then sold the lead to the petroleum industry as a fuel additive. I mean, not exactly like a you know, green economy kind of guy. But maybe they didn't know quite so much back in the nineteen forties and fifties, but that the reason they were in Louisiana is that that's where the oil industry was that they were working with. And then they eventually got into oil and gas lea saying, and they became quite wealthy, I mean not only from the industry, but from all of the collateral stuff that they were doing around it. And Erickson lived most of his younger life as a sort of a dashing butch lesbian. I've seen photos of him before his transition, and you know, it's like I think think about him as this socialite butch moving in very you know, high powered circles in New York and like dating people who were like the children of members of the Roosevelt administration and prominent banking families.
Speaker 1: I mean that he moved in these very very nice He was almost the gentleman Jack of the twentieth.
Speaker 2: Century, the gentleman Jack the twentieth century, or I think of him kind of like kind of like you know, Tony Stark, iron man kind of guy. He was an inventor, he was wealthy, he thought outside the box about everything. Well, when his father died and he inherited the family business, he was like, all right, actually I'm a guy, and he is the one who who funded all of the doctors who were doing the research.
Speaker 1: It's like that was the part that it's got like, yeah, that, I mean those early programs that were so important, like Johns Hopkins, like.
Speaker 2: Horicans, UCLA, Stanford, you know, the University of Texas, Galveston. So Ericson was the money bags behind the doctors who were doing the research. He's the person wholled Harry Benjamin's foundation that funded the publication of the Transsexual Phenomenon. I mean he also funded the One Institute for Homophile Studies in Los Angeles, which was a gay advocacy organization founded by this guy door leg which amassed this amazing librarian archive of queer historical materials that's now part of the Special Collections at University of Southern California. But that Erickson was just super influential in early homophile activism, in the provision of healthcare for trans people, for the development of what we would now call the medical model. He kind of orchestrated that, you know, and I think of it as you know, there a lot of people who aren't crams can get their nickers in a twist about trans people, but most of them don't really care about like what can we do to make the life of trans people better? You know? And Ericson was the one going like, yeah, there needs to be something happening here. How can I use my money to make that happen? And he he is the person who put all of that in place, as to put the medical model in place as a way of serving trans people, not of just sort of studying trans people as freaks somehow. So you know, thank you read Ericson for all of that. The thing that I am most fascinated about with him, though, is that, like I said, he was an engineer, but he was also somebody who had serious interests in esoteric and occult religions. He had a lot of you know I called New Age beliefs, and so he he he had he said, you know, we can take kind of an engineering approach to transsexualism. You know, you can say, like you know what, it's like, it's not rocket science. It's like it's like shoot these drugs in your body. It's like, you know, cut, cut and staple here, you know, turn this inside out, you know, move this tissue here to there. It's like it's just engineering, you know, it's a physical thing. And then it's like you sign here to change the legal you know, documents and what. It's just like it's just a technical problem. It's not you know, it's not I It's like nobody needs to lose their mind over right, right, and you can do that. So that's what he called like, you know, physical transsexualism. But then he said there's also something called spiritual transsexualism that for him was all about how you develop and elevate your conscious business and awareness. And he's like totally into psychedelic drugs and you know, and what you know he thought of was like East West fusion religion, and he funded people who were doing work and like ethno botanicals, Like how is it that you know, tribes in the highlands of Mexico. It's like, use you know, traditional plant medicines to do you know, they're you know, sacred practices. I mean, he was totally into all of that back in the sixties. Yeah, in the sixties, mostly uh, and for me like that that is well, I will just say like, as somebody who has gone through a medical transition, I totally appreciate what has been available to me. But I also just really get a kick out of how the same person who who helped orchestrate all of that also saw a completely different w way of being trans. And you know, for me, it's just saying like, you know, there is no one way to be a trans person, and you know it should be a big tent kind of concept I think within the community. You know, we should not be quite as turf marking and boundary policing as we can be about you know, who's a real what and which thing is preferable to which other thing and just say, you know, it's like Ben Ben Franklin would say, if we don't all hang together, we're all going to hang separately.
Speaker 1: Well right, And I couldn't agree with that more, you know, And that's it's I feel like I'm beating a drunk with that, you know, on every platform that I have, which is you know, there's not a right or way wrong to be to being trans. This is you know, an inside job your trans because you say you're trans because we throughout history, you know, we've had more folks who didn't or couldn't transition or there was no such thing. Then we've had the folks who've had access, you know, And then to say that that that there's now some hierarchy doesn't make a lot of sense. I have Elizabeth Coffee. Williams is a very good friend of mine. And Elizabeth had her confirmation surgery I want to say in nineteen seventy two in Baltimore, seventy two or seventy three, and you know, she was from Philadelphia. She you know, came out to her parents, I think the day she graduated high school and they put her outside and she found out about the gender clinic at Johns Hopkins. Then moved to Baltimore where she met John Waters and the Dreamlanders, and she wound up in four of his films. In fact, it's Elizabeth and Pink Flamingos who is the transflasher. That's Elizabeth, and she was in yeah, I think total of four of his films. But you know, she tells the story of when she went to Johns Hopkins, they didn't want to help her because she didn't fit their model of what it was to be trans and you know, she was already living as herself, and you know she was in little short shorts and tank tops or pulter tops or whatever. And you know, one of the things that you agreed to you weren't allowed to meet any of the other trans folk being served in the clinic. They weren't allowed to know one another. And there was this agreement at that time that you wouldn't talk about it. You know, your goal was to go, you know, assimilate. And she said, you know, all I need you to do is fix this little problem I have. That's all I need you for. You know, you do this thing that I need because you know, my pants will look better. That's it. That's all I need from you. And it took a long time. And I think she finally like accosted one of the surgeons. And I want to say Moon or Mooney, but I'm probably getting that wrong. In like the gift shop.
Speaker 2: Johnny money.
Speaker 1: I think that was money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was not. It was the called himself a psycho neuro into chronology. Okay, he wasn't the surgeon.
Speaker 1: But he he was the one who she finally like got in the coffee shop or the gift shop or somewhere, and like pleaded once again, and he went back to the folks and said, you know, she's exactly who we're here to help. You know, even though she didn't fit their idea of, you know, what, what she should be. She wasn't going to go be Donna Reed. She was going to go be Jennie Choplin, you know that was and she was going to tell people. You know, she's been out since then.
Speaker 2: I would love to put her in touch with people. I know at Johns Hopkins. There's a faculty member there, Jules gil Peterson, who works on who is trans and works on trans history, and I'm sure that she would love to interview.
Speaker 1: That would be great. Yeah, And I think she'd be very willing to do that because you know, she talks openly about it and what was interesting talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like it just lays me today. How you know, you listen to the right wing and it's like, you know, trans people did not exist before, you know, twenty eighteen. Yeah apparently, and right she's like it's a new thing, it's a social contagion. But yeah, it's just like there are so many people who are still around who have decades and decades and decades of life experience as trans. And you know, I think I think it would be great in the current political moment to just have a you know, I pardon my friends, just a bunch of old trannies, you know, out there like talking about us like back in the day.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So nothing new under the sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm so thankful for them, and you know, they were instrumental.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was just so fortunate to get to know Elizabeth and Claudia Hadad and others, you know who really kind of got my mind around this whole thing and say, honey, you're just trans. Just relax, you know, and there's not a one way to do basically, like you know, she I would have moments and you know, she would just kind of slap me out of it, you know. And and I think I always say, we need trans friends, We need them, We need the folks with whom we just have a shorthand you know that we just understand one another at least, Yeah, on that basic level. And Elizabeth got mentioned in Disclosure, the documentary right about trans folks in film, and what happened was Jen Richards actually brought up her story. So Jen Jen was being interviewed, and when they were talking about, you know, erasure, an early erasure. Elizabeth had interviewed several times to play the character of Elizabeth Eden, and Sidney Lamette loved her and wanted to hire her. And you know, she even had herself looking very much like Elizabeth Eden. And then the money folks got involved, and you know, made at Chris Srandon, Yeah, and Chris Srrandon's career was launched.
Speaker 2: Michael launched from made It Chris and that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and that's when she stopped acting. She said, you know what, I've had enough. It's okay. Because if ever there was a part she was born literally to play, it was that one. Yeah. And and now that you know, of course, the only way to portray a trans woman is with a sist.
Speaker 2: Dude, Yeah, who needs thank you?
Speaker 1: Who needs you? Took the words who needs a shave?
Speaker 2: But where's a pink bathrobe? And has long nails? And it's crazy yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, because that that made sense to.
Speaker 2: Folks, that's exactly who al Pacino would follow him up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and yet here was Elizabeth, who was this this trans woman who was already thriving and you know, already alive and well regarded and living her life, you know, living her life in Philadelphia, and she had been in Baltimore, she was in San Francisco for a while, and uh yeah, yeah, she didn't. She didn't look the part. And she's like, well, god damn it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you look like a woman.
Speaker 1: It's like we need a transsexuals as did Elizabeth Eden. And it was like we put pictures of the two of them side by side at the time, and it was just it was almost eerie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I've I've seen pictures of her, so she yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so this is nothing is new. And you know, I read trans Gender History several years ago, I want to say, when the revised edition came out, so twenty seventeen, right, seventeen, Yeah, so uh and I reread it just in preparation to sit down with you. And I'm taking again that you know, even terf ism, even this this gender critical nonsense that you know, feels new to a lot of trans people is new. This stuff is not new. And you know the Jenice Raymond was was, you know, selling this stuff how long ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, yeah, like her book came out in nineteen seventy nine, Transsexual Empire. But you know, you know where Raymond winds up with at the end of that book, because there's this famous line in it where she says, you know, the problem of transsexualism would best be solved by morally mandating it.
Speaker 1: Guy.
Speaker 2: Right now, it's like that's almost like word for word what Michael Knowles, the you know, right wing infotainment fascist person who was speaking at spat Seapack recently, you know, who said, you know, transgenderism should be mandated out of existence. Yeah, and people said that's genocidal, and he says, I can't be genocidal because it's like trans people don't actually even exist, you know, it's not a real thing. And but it's like, whether he knew it or not, he was I think he probably knew it. He was he was almost directly quoting this transphobic feminist from you know, forty plus years ago, you know, And I say probably knew it because you know, I do research on the history of the transphobic rite as well as transgender communities and people than themselves. And you know, I will say that, you know, to use that us in them language is like they know far more about us than we know about them. They read things. It's like I read, I mean like literally like anti Semitic, pro nazi, fascist, conspiracy theory stuff, and like they cite things that that you know that you know that most people who share my politics don't read what the right is actually doing. And when I look at what the right is doing, their arguments, their talking points, it's like, look at the bibliographies and their books. It's just like they read. Yeah, and I think we need to educate ourselves far more about how they frame our issues based on these like very long standing transphobic tropes and memes and discourses.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you do it. You know, it's that's hard. That's hard for me. And I absorb a lot of news and I do try to pay attention to what they're doing, but I have to, you know, I confess I get that news from mainstream news sources. I don't go where they read because uh, that's waiting somewhere that I don't like to be. And you know, it's hard, it's really hard, because you're right, it's important to know what they're saying and what they're doing. And I keep saying if this fails politically, they'll knock it off, or at least to this degree, I think.
Speaker 2: I think, I think you're right. I mean, they're they're definitely throwing the spaghetti to the wall and seeing if it'll stick right now, and that I guess. You know, there has been a persistent strand of transphobia within you know, within other social movements in this country. It's like it's not new, but that what is new, I think is the traction that it's getting right now.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the way that a major political party in cahoots with well funded evangelical Christians as well as like far right wing reactionary people, there is this weird amalgamation of interests that are transphobic for their own particular reasons that are all cross pollinating each other right now, and that the organized political right has found these very effective talking points against trans people, many of which were first kind of workshopped in transphobic lesbian feminist separatist communities back in the seventies, and they're trotting them out as campaign tools right now. You know. One of the other kind of cross polleniza pollenizations that I've seen is that so much of that early turfy feminism. The people who were promulgating it were former Catholics, Mary Daily Deannis Raymond, and a lot of their arguments are are rooted in a sort of a version of Catholic theology, you know, like notions of you know, you know, natural and moral law ideas about bodily integrity and you know, what is the body for, what God's purpose for the body, and that's why you're not supposed to, you know, have abortions and use contraception. It's like it's sort of the same framework. And I think we don't really see that. I mean, we don't make that connection as easily as we might because Daily and Raymond were both they both renounced not like Folicism, but Christianity and developed a more goddess centered feminist religion. But it's like, I as I read them, it's like they imported a lot of very conservative Catholic theology you know by another name into some of the ways that they thought and acted, and particularly the way that these these sort of conservative Catholic ideas informed their position on trans people and provide a sort of intellectual or moral basis to their argument. But it's in the so that that sort of turfy feminism had been around in the seventies and eighties, but what happened in the nineties was that there were a lot of powerful, mostly Catholic interests under the you know, I mean the Pope at the time was personally pretty transphobic, and that there was a lot of concern over how these big international conferences that were put on by the United Nations, you know, on women's rights, you know, international women's rights, that there was a shift in that language between like women's rights to gender rights and wanting to talk about gender discrimination rather than discrimination against women. And there were a bunch of people, it's like, these conservative Catholics, a lot of African Evangelical Christians, white mostly Western European and North American feminists who were involved in anti trafficking work. They all kind of cross pollinated with each other. In Beijing in nineteen ninety five, at this UN conference on women, there was a conservative Catholic writer named Dale O'Leary who published a book right there called, oh what was it called gender ideology, you know, the deconstruction of women. It's like and so you start to see this arguments like when you say gender but you mean women, like that's this like false ideological construction that just erases the biological specificity of women. And it's part of this you know, global northern Western secular elite thing. It's like wanting to destroy God's plan for the family. It's like and and you can just start to see this cluster around nineteen ninety five where everything that is just blossoming and full noxious, you know bloom right now. It's like the seeds of all that come together about twenty five years ago, and it kind of percolated along in a more subterranean way for a while. But then in the context of you know, I think in the US, it's the thing that really let the genie out of the bottle, so to speak, was the Obama presidency because you had all of these racists with like Obama derangement syndrome, and like they just could not wrap their head around a black man as president of the United States. And you know, you've got Sarah Palin who's running on the Republican ticket, and she's the one I think who more than anybody else, started saying, you know what I consider to be the you know, crazy, conspiratorial, you know, racist, batshit crazy wing nut stuff out loud and in public as part of a very you know, highly you know, televised and you know, mass mediafied presidential campaign. And I think that was the thing that really like gave permission for people to start doubling down on that, and the public sphere and then the organized right it's like they're going like, yeah, this, we're losing on gay marriage. You know, it's like we're gonna we're in a rearguard action here. We lost on gays in the military. It's like the trans thing, it's like it's complicated, it's divisive, you know, you know, we can really use this and for you know, in some ways, I think since about two thousand and seven eight with the about passing into the Employment Non Discrimination Act, I think we started to see the right wing field testing ideas about how to use transgender as a wedge to split the left, you know, and you wind up with Barney Frank actually like cutting trans people out of you know, employment into Employment Non Discrimination Act. You know, then you've got the bathroom bills. You started to see a little bit of anti trans rhetoric in the twenty sixteen Republican primary, and it didn't really become much of an issue in the election between Trump and Clinton. It's like, at that level, there wasn't a lot of you know, chatter about trans. But in the Republican primaries leading up to that, you know, I had people like Mike Pence and Ted Cruz who were definitely you know, saying a lot of the anti trans stuff that's gone much more mainstream. But then it really wasn't until you know, Trump is out, Biden is in that the right seems to have really lost its mind and orchestrated a very deliberate campaign. I mean, I don't know if you've been following this, it's like it's hard to not sound like you are a conspiracy theorist, right, but there was this dump of email and text message communications that fed into a story that was published in Mother Jones of you know, something like twenty six hundred pages of material from this person who had been trans de transitioned started working with the right wing, you know as a you know, de transitioner, saying like this is all bad. But then they're like, oh no, no, it's like I was wrong about that. To retransitioned. And after they retransitioned, they gave to you know, left wing journalists, all of the paper trail of the conversations that they had been involved in with you know, people from Alliance Defending Families and you know other right wing groups and Republican elected officials in you know, in state houses. There was this one particular legislator in North Dakota who seemed to play a pretty key role in trying to promote legislation that had been drafted, like by Alliance Defending Families. They would develop model legislation, they would feed it to this guy. He would work with other legislators and other states, and that there was a you know, a deliberate campaign to roll out very similar kinds of legislation at the state level across every state where Republicans controlled the legislatures. So it's you know, the anti drag stuff that you know, save the children sports stuff, anti you know, like banning affirmative care for people who were under the age of eighteen or even in Missouri, just like trying to ban trans health care at all, although there's been a temporary stay put on that for now in Texas, you know, saying that you know, child Protective Services should investigate families that are supportive of their trans kids. I mean, it is a full on war on training. It is.
Speaker 1: And in Texas is interesting because they were kind of early adapters of a lot of this legislation, and then of course Chase Stranger, who we should all pray for to whatever and whomever we pray you know, knocked so much of that back, and they were ultimately not successful. That then the attorney general and the governor got together and said, well, how can we screw with trans people? You know, It's like, well, we can't do it legally, so let's do it this way by edict and right doing.
Speaker 2: It, you know, doing it the way that they do it through control of the administrative apparatus of the state. But you know, the thing that really concerned me is the way that in states for there is a Republican super majority in the legislature or where they control both houses and the governor's office, that you know, they're just doing flat out undemocratic things. It's like they're just like refusing to see people who are duly elected to represent their constituents. Right, you know, sorry, you believe the wrong thing, We're just going to like kick you out of the legislature.
Speaker 1: So I have a little bit of a theory here, I mean, because you know, you said there's a connection between trans rights and reproductive rights and the fight for either, and I believe that they are very much connected.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, it is about bodily autonomy. It is about the control of your own reproductive anatomy, and it's about saying that your body is for you to live through it, not as a resource for the state or somebody else's religion. Right.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting to me to see the pushback, you know, when abortion comes on the ballot. Now, so that they got their Supreme Court to do what they wanted, you know, with overturning Row, but then you know they've they got emboldened. So you're seeing states like Kansas say hell no when they get the chance to vote on it. And I saw a recent survey I want to say it was Gallup, but I'm not sure about that, where fifty three percent of registered Republicans said the anti trans legislation is going too far.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, no, I saw that too. It was it was actually believe it or not a Fox newspaper, and so yeah, I think it was like fifty seven percent, you know, said anti trans legislation going too far is a is a major problem. And then like another twenty six percent, I think it was said it was a minor problem, but only so like eighty six percent of people thought it was a problem at some level, and only fifteen percent said it wasn't a problem at all, and only I think like three percent said like, I don't know. I mean, it's something that pretty much everybody has an opinion about. Oh yeah, that only a diehard minority supports, and that eighty six percent of the population thinks it is somewhat of a problem.
Speaker 1: Do you think this more.
Speaker 2: Than half of the people think it's a bad problem.
Speaker 1: Is this the last gas of the far right ideology? Or is it just going to come back in a different way.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm pretty cynical, okay, you know, just like I You know, there was a saying I heard in a I think it was actually a Mealosh Foreman film. It's like Czech filmmaker where where one of the characters says nothing is so good that it couldn't be better, you know, and nothing is so bad that it couldn't be worse. And I think, yeah, that's probably true. You know. I I had a friend that was emailing with yesterday or today about that poll that you just mentioned, and you know, she said, what we really need now is our You know, Senator, have you no decency moments?
Speaker 1: I agree?
Speaker 2: Like, like in the the Red Scare back in the nineteen fifties, which was horrible, It's like, it's like, I think what's happening right now on trans issues is as horrible as that. And there was, you know, totally a panic around communism and communists in the government and infiltrating everything and blacklist in Hollywood. I mean people lost their jobs and wrecked their careers, ruined their lives over the Red Scare and the Blacklist, and you know, we're seeing things like that happen to trans people now. But that moment, you know, in the House on American Activities Committee, hearing that McCarthy is, you know, trying to like call everybody a communist and kick them out of government. Uh, you know, you had guys is like, Senator, have you no decency? And it kind of, you know, it just it hit the moment where a lot of people kind of put the brakes on and you're like, right, this is like totally out of hand, and you started to see it unwind a little bit, and so, you know, I hope something like that happened.
Speaker 1: Well, you talked about trans you know, the pendulum, and I think there is one. So I am hopeful, you know, because these clips do go viral. I think part of the problem is the saturation of everything. You know, We're so inundated with all of the information. But I've seen some remarkable speeches. I've seen some impassioned parents, and I've even seen a couple of you know, Republican state legislators say I cannot do this to human beings. It's beyond our scope. It's beyond our purview.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it seems like the governor of Montana, which just passed some of the more draconian legislation, his own child is not binary and has has has you know, talked to their dads and like dad, like, don't do this to me and my community, and he was like, I don't know. It's like, you know, I got to get reelected. And so I think as long as as long as there is foaming at the mouth of rabid transphobes in the Republican Party, I think they're going to continue doing this. At least through twenty twenty four, and you know, it's like it but to your point about abortion, it's it's like, there has definitely been a mobilization against the overturning of Roe v. Wade, and it hasn't played well for the Republicans, thank god. And you know, it's like, I think that we could conceivably see something like that that happening of people saying like this anti trans thing is you know, batshit crazy and it's just wrong. And you know, honestly, I don't really care that much about trans people, but it's like we need to kind of get off the get off this thing right now, it's like, and stop obsessing over it. And it's not the problem that they're thinking it is, and you know, blah blah blah. So I think we'll see how it plays out over the next eighteen months. I don't I don't imagine that it will abate until you know, second week of November of twenty twenty four and the best of all circumstances, right, but hopefully it will. It will not be it will not be the wedge or the you know, the accelerant that the right hopes it will be. It's like that they have to have overplayed their hands.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's because it I think it's part of why we didn't have that red wave. You know, they took the House, they didn't take the Senate. We gained in the Senate, you know, but they they didn't. You know, what is there they have five extra seats ten. I mean, it's something that you know, somebody coughs wrong, It could it could shift. And so I think this at least has something to do with it. I think Roe probably has more to do with it.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering if yeah, and then yeah, no, I mean I think you're I think you're right, But yeah, I think the other thing that we really have to be mindful of is the really racially motivated voter suppression and you know, the gerrymandering. It's like because they're just you know, they are trying to orchestrate a political system that locks in a kind of minoritarian rule. And when you look at you know, like these polls that we've just been talking about, where most people actually oppose what it is that they're doing and the way they're using trans issues and to do it. The only way they can hold on to power is through these repressive, anti democratic actions that game the system in particular ways to get non majoritarian outcomes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is scary, but you know that I'm going to need to probably start winding this down a little bit. But yeah, but the it's been a great conversation. Really have appreciated the free flowing nature of it all the the I was I gonna say, one of the things that I tell young people today is like, for first of all, it's like, you know, don't don't give up. You know, just like the only thing that has ever changed the course of political history is like mass mobilizations of people, you know, at some level becoming ungovernable and you know, compelling change to happen. And you know, we we as the people, always have that as a tool in our toolkit, you know, if we can get people moving in the right So don't give up, hope. Yeah. And second, it's like, you know, there are still people out there who are persuadable, you know, and that we need to be talking to those people, need to be doing our education and outreach work. But that you know, there's no question that we now have a whole lot more work to do, and I mean that that I feel like a lot of the work that people in my generation did has been undone at the level of civil rights and of health care access. You know that that. But the flip side of that coin is to say, well, we we made some progress and now there's been a role back. But I know that you have the same capacity to do that work. I know that that work can be done. And the other thing I would say is that you know, it totally sucks to be criminalized, to like be denied access to care, to have your families and jobs at housing at risk just because you're trans. But at the end of the day, it's like, that is the world that I grew up in. It's like I grew up as a person trying to figure out how to deal with being trans in the sixties and seventies and eighties and when I finally when I transitioned, you know, in the late eighties early nineties, the world that I was coming into at that time, it's like by saying that I was trans, it's like you could be fifty one fifty, you could lose access to your kids, you could be busted by the cops for walking while trans, you had no employment discrimination. You know, most trans healthcare services were not provided. You know, we're not covered by insurance. There was a lot of gatekeeping, there was very little information, and so that wasn't good. But I can also say it's survivable, you know, just like we as trans people are strong people who find our way and that you know, it's it's you. You can be yourself to yourself. You can be like free in your heart and strong in your self knowledge, you know, and nobody can take that away from you. Like however hard the external circumstances are, just like you can find that place of self validation if nothing else. And I just you know, I just feel like there's there there there's no going back really, you know, to what things were like half a century ago. I mean, we might face really hard political repression that makes their life very very difficult. But something has changed in the attitude of people. I mean, I think younger people today have a very different orientation to.
Speaker 1: General absolutely and one another's gender identity and one another. There's a lot it's so much more open and so much more.
Speaker 2: So much more flowing. Yeah, and I you know, and you know, I don't want to put words in their mouths or you know, frames frame what they're doing in ways that they wouldn't do themselves. But when I look at it, you like, what I see, particularly around the emergence of non binary identities, is that, I mean, I think there's some people who are going to, like I want to present in a really you know, mixed or androgynous way, or you know, I have an identity as a non binary person. But you know, I also see people who, you know, like, if they didn't tell me they identified as non binary, I wouldn't know about them, you know that it's almost like a it's like a political stance or as much as anything else. And I think, and that's not to say that it's not legitimate, but what I what I see is a lot of people using the concept of non binary to essentially say I'm I'm opposed to like a compulsory gender binary, you know, like that's what I'm rejecting, and that that it's as much saying like I think of it's like, I know what my body is, but I'm choosing to express myself in some way that doesn't depend on being part of a you know, biologically defined gender binary. That's what I'm rejecting. And you know, I think that's cool. I think we have a really different attitude in society today in large parts of it to the idea of a compulsory gender binary predicated on biology. It's like, that's what's shifted, that's what people are rejected.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, you just inadvertently brought this back full circle because we started the conversation talking about the language, and I think non binary identities, you know, we have a language for that now. I've got several friends who identified as lesbians or even identified as gay, you know, and male, and said that never fit. But I knew that I was not a trans man or a trans woman. But then I heard this language, and I heard these kids talking about it, and I went, that is what I am. That is what I always was, you know, and they them is what fits for me. And now we have the language for it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I want to close with just one. As I was rereading today, I came across a passage that is just read as poetry to me, you know. And I think our existence is an act of resistance. I think there are a lot of ways to do it. And you started talking about you know, someone I really enjoy and the passage says, as big free as successful music career demonstrates, not all forms of trans resistance have to be somberly militant to be influential. When trans and gender nonconforming lives are lived joyously and unapologetically in plain sight out or their hard truths and dangers are spoken out loud, When the knowledge that comes from living those lives is channeled into music and dance, written about and written from, played with, and fantasized over. When their beauty and weirdness they're sharp edges and dark recesses are creatively explored and collectively experienced. That is equally as important as heavy political activism. I love that passage.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I too. I thought, it's like, you know, I haven't read that book since I wrote that, And yeah, that was like, hey, Susan, you nailed that.
Speaker 1: I really did good, good on, good on you.
Speaker 2: You know. And I remember, I mean, I remember doing the revisions for that First Boy or First Ball, and first edition of the book came out in two thousand and eight, I think, and the publisher asked for you know, an updated version, you know that could you just add a new chapter? And I thought you know, no, I need to because things changed so much. I think I need to re do like a global revision and sort of update it throughout. But writing that last chapter, it's like I wrote it, you know, in like December and January, like December of twenty sixteen and January of twenty seventeen. It's like I wrote it in the immediate aftermath of the Trump election, right, I mean the reason the book ends so that the you know, the Women's march in Washington, because like that happened like the weekend before I turned the book manuscript in the next week, and I was like, that's that's where it stopped. When we really had no sense at that time how you had a sense that it was going to get bad and weird under Trump, but you didn't know exactly how bad or how weird or for how long. And I was like it was just such an open book at that point. So you know, I think I was I think I was writing from this place of like really radical vulnerability, you know, like really of just you know, trying to say like you know, it's like here we are, like we got to live, you know, like we got to find our joy. We've got to you know, it's like, can't live let this bullshit, just live rent fring in your head. You've got to just.
Speaker 1: Because if we don't have joy, what is the right exactly?
Speaker 2: You know? And maybe this will be the thing that I that I end on because I'm gonna I'm gonna have to go. But that, uh, like read Ericson who we were speaking of earlier, it's like, I too, am a person who, well, from time to time experience Yeah, I'll have I use psychedelics, That's what I'm getting, you know, and I do it, you know, with some intentionality and regularity. And there was one time, I think I think it was a like a ketamine trip where I saw this banner that's just like across my mind's eye, and the banner said the meaning of life is to experience joy as we move towards death. You know, it's like we don't get like, nobody here gets out alive, right, just like we are gonna die at some point and we should not be in denial about that. But if you don't experience joy in that passage towards the inevitability of death, it's just like, what's the point of being here? Right?
Speaker 1: Agreed on that all right. I want to thank you so much for your time. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. Likewise, please come back anytime. We would love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Just hit me up. I'm around.
Speaker 1: I appreciate this so much. Susan Striker, thank you for joining us at the Full Circle Table. Have a great night.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure, all right, you too, good bye.
Speaker 1: Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries.
Speaker 2: All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.