Speaker 1: Welcome to OUCH Was That a Ghost? This podcast may contain graphic material which some listeners may find disturbing. Listener discretion is advised. Is advised.
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Now that we covered that, here's your host list.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to ouch That a Ghost? Back again is Natty, my co host of creep It Weird. Thank you for coming on. What's up? Suggas?
Speaker 3: Oh, I appreciate it. I always like being on. Go check out creep it Weird?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, definitely check out creep It Weird. We have some good episodes going. We just opened our Patreon and we have a fun episode on there and that will be a regular thing. It sounds kind of sad. We have one episode on fatreon. Y we'll get there. Hey we're new, we're noubes, but we have our YouTube up and running. Yeah, we're If you like YouTube, you can head on over there and listen there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's about thirty seconds ago. We're on YouTube.
Speaker 2: They make it difficult to set everything up or we just don't know how to do things either, or so today we're going to be covering a swindler. Swindler ooh, over a century before Anna Delvi fooled High society. Before Bernie made off, before Charles Ponzi, there was a lesser known grifter, a swindler, if you will, I'm gonna butcher this. It's French Teres Humbert. I'm just going to call her Teres because I'm not trying to do that all Humberg, because it's not like Hombart, Hamburger, Terrees Hamburger Hamburglar for short. Oh yes, she was a woman in the eighteen hundreds that pretended to be an heir to millions and got away with it for decades, living in the lap of luxury touchet.
Speaker 3: All right, I got a note pad out here. I'm gonna be taking notes on how to pull this off.
Speaker 2: There are different articles I got it from. I'm terrible at citing books, so I'm just gonna tell you which book I also used. It's called La Grande Teres, The Greatest Scandal of the Century, and it was by Hilary Spurling. All right, okay, he was born Teres Derek Knack. It's definitely not pronounced. It's definitely like dar nach or something like that. Dochnak sure sound right? Into a peasant family in eighteen fifty six, in the small village in France. Her father, Guiermo Doc was a foundling. Natasha's like, why did I come on here? I've heard from the pronunciations. Thank you, it's my specialty.
Speaker 3: Next time you go, you just be like I'm doing another French episode and be like, son of a bitch, I'm in.
Speaker 2: I listen to him and I can't do what they do with their mouth making the sounds come out like that. That's what she's saying. I feel you with the nineteen nine, nineteen oh nine you struggle with I feel the struggle. Now. Oh yeah, that's rough. So her father Guiirmo, We're not going to say the last name anymore because that's just that's too much enough. So he was a foundling. He was a child that was like left in a doorstep, you know what I mean, an orphanage or whatever by your parents, just because you couldn't take care of him. A basketbaby, okay, a basketball I leave him in a basket It is. It just does not sound politically correct, but I yeah, that is what it is. I don't know if it is or not. It just sounds harsh and does out on the basket baby. Uh, there's ah see what I think of is I think of the Grinch when they left him in a basket? Oh, old Bitty's got him.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of whatever whatever that Bible character is that Moses was Moses left at a basket?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, basket baby. Oh my gosh, it could be a dumpster baby, at least here in a basket. When he grew up, Guermo married Rosie Lucy Cappella, and they went on to have a bunch of children, one of which was Teres before her passing. Before the mother's passing, that was worded weird. So Guiermo, who enjoyed his wine as well as me tonight, would often imbibe, and when he did, he would tell people how he was actually of nobility. He wasn't a peasant. Oh and he had a fortune and he had properties all this, but it wasn't going to him because he fought with his parents. It's all going to his children.
Speaker 3: Well, we know that this motherfucker's out there sipping that wine with that pinky fully extended.
Speaker 2: Yes, Patrick Starr, why do I think of like kids shows on every reference? Remember the higher the pinky I like so immature of So he would show people some old parchments as proof. And he had a safe well, a chest that was sealed, and he would it was only to be opened upon his death.
Speaker 3: It's fucking empty. We all know that some bitches empty.
Speaker 2: Then that's when his children would inherit the family's wealth. Oh and he would also tell everyone how he was an alchemist, and he would run around with like a sword or stick and say how he could change the weather. So he was eccentric. I like this guy. I like this guy.
Speaker 3: I'm fancy and I could change the weather. Hold my wand man, it is really coming down outside. I could hear it like crazy. I'm right by the exterior wall. It is pounded out there.
Speaker 2: We had drizzling all day today, but we didn't have any storms. Oh yeah, it's coming. Rain is the calmest I am like mentally, I'm not anxious. I'm not stressed out. It's raines something. It's very cleansing, it is. I never understood why I loved rain so much. But blah blah blah. Okay, so Guillermo the guy that you like. In eighteen seventy four he died, so the family went to open the chest of wealth proof that the children were of nobility in all of the land that they were to inherit. They cracked the seal in wait, you put all that land in the chest? Well, the paperwork for it and inside yeah, no, inside there's a lego model scale of the castle that're gonna get. I know that tree, the trees right there, I can see it. So inside when they cracked the seal, do you want to take a guess what they found? Nothing? There was something in there, and I owe you gotcha? Gotcha? A brick? Oh shit, one brick. One brick. He didn't even make it super heavy. Nope, just a brick in there. Oh what a slacker? Okay, a brick a coke? I mean, what are we talking? That would have been worth a lot more. I mean there would be some value. Yeah, oh my god. So this fanciful thinking that her father had seemed to rub off on Teres. As a child, she would tell her friends to put all their jewelry together so when they met people or got boyfriends, they could trick them into thinking that they were actually very wealthy. Terse Now, without that fortune, her father had promised, she had to go get a job, so she went to go work as a maid for Mayor Humbert. Mayor humber was also her uncle. Well, it was like his wife was her aunt. There was like basically it was the uncle but not I guess kind of whatever. Teresa, during her employment got to know Frederic Humbert, the mayor's son, also Teresa's first cousin, and through her storytelling, Frederic became smitten with Teres. Oh okay, I guess she don't have to meet the family. I'm trying not to judge.
Speaker 3: I'm trying not to judge here Incess's best but your cousin to the test.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. So she sold herself as nobility to them, and she had She was the only heir to a rich cousin who never married or had any children. The cousin owned a castle. She told them the chateau they marcott and it was worth a time. It was a shadow, right is it chateau? Sorry? Oh my god, Oh my gosh. That just scared me. My cat in the corner. I was like, what the hell was that because it was like halfway up the wall. It was just I can't be in spider man. Sorry. It convinced Frederic's parents to approve of the marriage, but I've seen others that they disapproved and they ran away and got married, So I'm not sure either way. They got married. Frederic was studying law and he went on to become a lawyer. Actually, this is France. What is that a barrister? Right? Sure? They lived a modest life in Paris, and it put the banister in their house. I am so often in the chateau. Well not until her the shat until she dies, she has to say, right, for the inheritance, it's not there yet, oh right. So they lived a semi modest life in Paris. Frederic would ask, you know, when's that fortune coming in? And Terese would make something up or change the subject. And then she decided to use that inheritance as credit, you know what I mean, like shopping and be like, hey, i'll get you later. Damn girl, remember that chateau that's coming, I'll get you back. Okay. She started buying the finer things in life, and time passed and the creditors were like, okay, like what is this late? Go to pay us and started asking around about the Chateau de Marcotte and where they were. No one really knew anything about the chateau. Because they were too far away from it. But when one of the creditors vacationed near the chateau, they went to check it out, to be like, let's see this place, and they found out this is going to be a shocker, that the chateau did not exist. Oh oh my god, I can't believe it. Are you sure? Did they look twice? Did they look under the rock? Did they pull the curtains away? Did they move the brick? Yes? Did they look around the tree? Therese, now cornered and threatened with legal action by her creditors, had to admit to her husband that the inheritance was bs. But I guess he was okay with it. And Frederic, although he was an attorney or a barrister, he didn't make enough money to pay it all back, so he went to his father for help. His father, who was the mayor previously, he was now the Minister of Justice. So a void's scandal and shame. The Minister of Justice just paid everyone back out of his pocket. And then are you ready for this? I'm ready. In eighteen seventy nine, the craziest thing happened. Teres was on a train and she heard what sounded like someone in distress in the next compartment. Okay, it was like a man groaning in pain. So Teres she pulled this James Bond move. She left her compartment, climbed the side of the train, and entered the other compartment where the groans were coming from. Why didn't she just walk down the hallway? I feel like you're not believing her story? Are you not on board? I'm waiting till the end to make a discernment here? Okay. So she went into where the groans were coming from. There she found a man keeled over in pain, suffering from a heart attack. But Teres, thinking quickly, took out some smelling salts and saved him. This selfless terse doing all of this out of the goodness of her heart. Once she had saved the day, I wish you did video. They can't see the look on my face right now. Okay. So, once she had saved the day and the man was well enough to speak, he told her his name was Robert Henry Crawford. He said he was from America and he was a millionaire, and he promised to one day reward her for all she had done. So he took her name and her address, and he went home to recover, and I owe you, yep, this is what she told everyone. I don't think there was any witnesses there, but this is she told everybody. So I mean, we have no reason to die. Oh oh yeah, one hundred percent. This is legit. And then, just as Robert Henry Crawford had promised, he died in eighteen eighty one, and Teres received a letter telling of his passing and news that now she was his beneficiary. Okay, but he did have stipulations. One of them is that his four million pound fortune was to stay locked away until the other stipulations were met. Sorry, this fine. Robert Henry Crawford had two nephews, one named Robert and one named Henry.
Speaker 4: Oh this is really the artistic ability of this woman is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I meted by the other day.
Speaker 3: The name was John Johnson and I was like, wow, that's original.
Speaker 2: The parents were like yeah, anything else, oh my god. Okay, okay. So one of those two nephews, Robert or Henry, was to wed Teresa's younger sister when she turned twenty one, and that way the fortune could be divided amongst them and it would stay in the Crawford family. Okay. And then they were to pay terse fourteen thousand pounds a year for life. Okay. And until this, all this paperwork and all the documents and the bonds were to be stored in Teresa's possession in a safe Okay.
Speaker 3: Let me guess her little sister was like three months old. It's coming, y'all, it's coming.
Speaker 2: She did have a little sister, Okay, But I mean she met this guy on the train and somehow he knew that's a little But maybe.
Speaker 3: While she's I have a little sister, she's like given an assaults.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. So now that Teresa was to get this huge inheritance, she could apply for a loan against it, you know. Oh yeah, of course, what is that JG. Wentworth? It's my money and I have now. Teresa and Frederick moved to Paris. While they lived in Paris, they moved to a different part of Paris and bought this huge house, this luxuriously furnished house. They purchased it all on credit. They made a name for themselves in the area. They were dressed to the nines like this lady. If you see pictures of her, she had some giant hats. She She's got a giant app I was like, damn, all right, get it. She got a bbl on credit and she would throw elaborate parties with guests including like prost and the President of France. Oh goodness, okay. And as time went by, people were a little bit skeptical about the inheritance, including an article that was published in the newspaper questioning the existence of the inheritance. But her father in law, who was the Ministry of Defense, he defended it, and then Terese fabricated a court dispute because if there was something in the courts that it had to be true. So Henry and Robert Crawford, aka Teresa's younger brothers, pretending to be them oh boy, went to the court trying to contest the terms of the uncle's will and lawyers were hired, but the judge ruled that their uncle's wishes were to be followed and Teres was to keep the fortune and documents in the safe until the marriage occurred. It was Robert Henry Crawford's dying wish. After all, I'm just waiting. I'm just you're waiting. So Terse as well as her friends and family were also borrowing money against the inheritance, like it wasn't just her okay, so which now, okay, Teresa has a paper trail, so some believed that it was actually true. But now she was taking out more loans to cover existing loans, like paying I guess the equivalent today to like a minimum on credit card payment, Like she'd pay a little here and there. But it was just snowballing out of control. And then Teres started doing these pension plans for rich people and for poor people, like give so much now and then when it's time to retire, you'll make so much back. Yeah, So the scandal around Teres started growing. Articles were written about skepticism and Terse and her father publicly disputed them. One of the French bank officials asked Teres, like, where do you have the funds invested? And she was like, oh, I have him in government bonds. So he worked for the bank and checked and he saw that this was not true. Oh. The creditors did some calculating and they calculated the amount that Teres owed and it wasn't anywhere near what she was going to receive, so they decided to sue her. Like all of her creditors, and the court heard the arguments, and the court agreed the safe should be opened to verify the money is in there, like that she has enough coming in that will cover everything. When they opened the safe in nineteen oh one, inside they found some old newspapers, Oh boy, an Italian coin, and a button. Oh that tracks I can afford the world. Some articles say that a brick was in there as well, so I don't know if that's true or not. Oh, it probably was. She might have got smart and put more than one brick in, but still no coke. No coke. That's unfortunate. The swindle affected thousands of creditors and pensions people that like relied on this money to retire. And by the time all this came to light, the Humbirds had already fled and they were later apprehended in Madrid in nineteen oh two. A lot of people didn't come forward out of embarrassment, because you know, you can't wouldn't want to get swindled, especially by a woman. Oh yeah, I haven't forbid. She even swindled Matisse like through his wife, like they got caught up in the painter. Yeah, because she like worked with Teres or somehow they got caught up in it too. During the trial, Teres claimed that she was innocent and she was the victim of users, like the person that lends money at an obscene amount of interest rate, a loan shark. Yeah, but that's what she says. She was innocent. It was a loan shark. It was a one ard bandit the one arm. It was a hash sleeking slasher. I love see. It was like this, my bob knows FERRAUDU just flip okay. So she was like, later, I'll tell tell you where to find the money. This is what she told the court, that she'll tell them later where all the money is. In an article in the Sydney Morning Herald in August ninth, nineteen oh three, titled the Humbart's Fraud, it said, quote throughout the female accuse showed consumable skill as an actress. She was threatening, arrogant, pathetic and sarcastic. By turns all right, man, are we related? She seems so complex? Oh wait, now we're related. Got extend that piggy Yep? I like it. Yep. Her husband was like, what, I'm not a businessman. My wife handles all that, Like, I don't even know what you're talking about. Oh, my thist just keeps getting better. And Teresa was sentenced to five years hard labor, but that was for living like extravagantly for twenty years. Five years hard labor. I don't think that that was really fair considering she ruined how many people's pension and retirement? That sucks. Oh yeah, her husband also got five years. Teresa's brothers, who presented themselves as the Crawford nephews, each got two to three years, and Teresa's sister daughter and now deceased father in law. Sorry, I don't know what just happen to my voice. We're all said to be victims and not charged. When Teresa finished her five years of hard labor, she was released. Some say she went to the US She lived in Chicago until dying in nineteen eighteen, while others say she stayed in France. But Frederic Humbert died in nineteen thirty six and he was not listed as a widower, which could be a clerical error, or maybe Terse did outlive her husband, especially because she was said to have inherited some money from her brother in nineteen thirty nine, which is three years after Frederick died. Interesting either way, Teresa Humbert was a grifter who lived in luxury for decades on the expense of others. I want to like, I kind of am impressed, But she did use her charisma round her elaborate scam exploiting all these people, and she ruined numerous creditors and people's retirements. What are your thoughts now that I'm done rambling.
Speaker 3: Dude, She's like a great a narcissist. I'm impressed. I mean, to get away with that as a woman in those days is impressive because most of the time women were just property essentially.
Speaker 2: I mean, you were just whatever most of the time.
Speaker 3: Even if you look at articles in the newspaper back then, you didn't even get a name.
Speaker 2: It was so and so's wife. Yeahs missus johns Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm missus so and So. I'm missus such and such. It was yeah, missus John Johnson, missus John Johnson. And that's the thing, is like they weren't even accounted for the fact that they had any rights or anything. So I'm surprised that she was able to swindle this because I didn't even think that women were able to take out loans and stuff at such like during this timeframe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like her husband's slash cousin was complicit as well, because how else could she have done that unless France was different than here on loans and stuff with.
Speaker 3: You, I guess it's I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: It's that confidence, though I could never have that, Like watching that movie, what is that one with Leonardo DiCaprio where he like fakes his pilot everything and just makes it running cons and stamps on.
Speaker 3: Everyone can't catch me if you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely it. But I can't stand that movie because it gives me palpitation. Trick is you have to believe, but I don't. I'll my face turns to red. I'm pale or red. So when I get like stressed out or embarrassed, I'm bright red. I'm a tomato.
Speaker 3: That's why you just put that. You put that concealer on and you just fake it till you make it.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it. I mean the trick is acting as.
Speaker 3: If it act the part dressed for the just for the job you want, not the job you have.
Speaker 2: And because it wasn't done that much by women, These people were probably beyond mortified, and they didn't want to come forward because like, oh, my goodness, a woman couldn't do that. Yeah, you know how embarrassing that would be for a man back then that a woman out smart at him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they can't have none of that shit. I'm impressed that she was able to do it, and do it for so long without the evidence. I mean, there was no proof. She had nothing but the smoke coming out of her ass. Right. That's the part that I think is so crazy, is there was nothing to show for absolutely nothing.
Speaker 2: Maybe the brick nowadays, can you imagine being like, yeah, I've got this money.
Speaker 3: But you can't see it. Yeah, maybe to throw to a window to rob a bank, if that's about it.
Speaker 2: I'm very surprised.
Speaker 3: That she was able to get away with what she got away with, and especially for so long. And who the hell cures a heart attack with fucking smelling salts teres?
Speaker 2: I guess back then they didn't know any better. Right. The thing is to her sister, when she turned twenty one, that came and went, and she kept on making excuses like she was at the age where she was supposed to marry. What was the guy's first name, Robert and whatever. Yeah, Robert Henry. But that came and went and passed, and she just kept bullshitting her way through.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the best thing you can do is make another lie and another lie, and then it's snowballs, and then you just gotta keep you to stick with the lie.
Speaker 2: You know. But people believed her. It must have been that confidence. So she must have had this charisma about her or just just believable enough. She was rubbing elbows with like famous artists. Yeah, that too. And if you're ever caught be like, I'm a woman, I'm stupid. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I thought this brick was a million dollars. You mean it's not made of gold, hold and breed. Yeah, don't mind me. I'm just hysterical this week. That's just that's impressive.
Speaker 2: I feel like it should be more well known. I guess there is a mini series on it, and I wanted to watch that. I didn't get a chance to yet, though, And that book that I mentioned goes a lot deeper.
Speaker 3: It would be interesting, though, to watch and see how kind of it unfolds well. And the thing is, she spaced it out enough to where I feel like that kind of helped her. She didn't do too much, too fat to make it completely unbelievable.
Speaker 2: She spaced it out to where you're like.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can see that, Like you might have doubts, but you're like, no, that kind of makes sense.
Speaker 2: What's it on? But she literally bought like a castle with it. It wasn't like, hey, let me use like a hundred whatever. It was just like a straight castle. Well, go big or go home. I guess I can find it on IMDb. I just can't see how to see where to watch it? What's it called? Teres Humbert like, just turn to name?
Speaker 3: Okay, well then you can just if you have a smart TV, you can just search it on there and it'll pull it up.
Speaker 2: Oh is this all in French much?
Speaker 3: I just watched the Cinderella rendition and it was all in Romanian and I had to use subtitles and it was fucked up. There was like a full on Wiener like it was a Wiener.
Speaker 2: Like rock Hard. I was like, what am I watching? Did? I like turn to a porno and the girl was like straight up bit over.
Speaker 3: You saw like you saw all of it. It wasn't like a top of you know, it was like straight.
Speaker 2: On, Oh my god. Yeah, I was like, what is happening? Have you seen the new season of ted No? No, when the Teddy Bear had the strap on, I lost my I was hysterical and almost my parents.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I haven't seen I've seen previews for it, but I haven't watched it.
Speaker 2: You have to. You have to watch it. I've been on a Jeopardy kick this week. Oh would I get anxious or I just want to like clear my mind? Any trivia game show makes me happy. I might have to try that. It makes your mind think so you can't think about everything else. That's why like I play video games, because if you have to focus on it or else, and that kind of pushes Yeah, that is a good point. You know, it's really hard.
Speaker 3: I was watch it was a Cuphead. That game's fucking hard as shit. It looks like it'd be.
Speaker 2: For a little kid. Is that the black and white one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well something, but it looks like it's not all black and white.
Speaker 2: I played that with my kid and I was gonna smash the monitor. It looks like it would be like an epic Mickey like fun. It sucks it's strul so aggraating. I hate it hard. It is so hard.
Speaker 3: Like me and my boyfriend were playing it and we were like, nah.
Speaker 2: But you should have the ability to beat it. I mean we got pretty far. It just took us all night. I didn't like that game. We tried for a bit and I just got pissed. I'm like, yeah, I'm done, I'm going back. It is very very very difficult. Yeah, I guess that's it. Thank you so much for coming on, Natasha, and remember to check us out over on creep it Weird. We Like I said, just got the YouTube up and running, which was thanks to Natasha fighting with that.
Speaker 3: Hey we got it done. I am stubborn and bullheaded. It's gonna happen. If it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: She proved she was not a robot to YouTube today, so that was good. Yep, I am a real I'm a real girl. But yeah, no, definitely check us out over there. We were on all the wherever you find podcasts, yeah there, and we're on all social media platforms on creep it Weird and anything else. I can't think of anything, all right, Well, thank you everybody for listening. Thank you Natasha, so much for coming on. I was gonna say, remember to keep creep it weird. This is the wrong podcast until next time. Bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. If you need more content or just want to help support the podcast, head on over to patreon dot com and search ouch. Was that a ghost? If you need some snazzy merche, you can find it at crowdmaid dot com by searching ouch. Was that a ghost? If you have a store you'd like to share, you can email it to ouch. Was that a ghost? At Yahoo dot com? You can also find us on Facebook and all the other social media platforms under out Was that a ghost? All links can also be found on ouch. Was that a ghost? Dot com?