Speaker 1: SGKR Injury Attorneys proudly sponsors the Friday Night Drive. I met round you. We are ready to take on the insurance company for you and get.
Speaker 2: You to the end zone. Visit us G A n A s SI dot com, Gannison dot com.
Speaker 3: This is State Representative Steve Reich. Since twenty sixteen. It's been my privilege to represent the sixty third district in the Illinois House. I'd like to continue representing you, and I'm asking for your vote on November fifth.
Speaker 4: Thank you pay for by citizens to elect Stephen Reich.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, and welcome to the Friday Night Drive Western Suburbs podcast. I'm Josh Well get here with Joe. Bennett's taving this on Monday afternoon, a little bit early this week. Obviously a different schedule Thanksgiving, but a lot of football to talk about. Joe, how are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm still trying to recover from some pretty crazy games last week, so I'm excited to talk about them.
Speaker 2: Certainly, a lot of crazy games, a lot of crazy finishes. You were there for one of them. We'll talk about in a few minutes, But Joe, I want to start with that Class eight A semifinal York Napleville Central and really one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen. Just talking to a colleague of ours, John Sally, he's never seen it before either. I don't know if you saw it. The game was on to you, so credit to those guys for having a game on TV. But to set the stage, York was leading the game twenty to thirteen, just a few seconds left and they had a fourth and one at their forty three yard line, and instead of going for the punt and risking everything associated with the punt, York snaps the ball to their quarterback, Bruno Massol. You know, he's a state caliber sprinter, as you know, and he just ran backwards. He ran backwards forty three yards all the way to the end zone and fortunately there's ten seconds left and time expired right before you know, he was tackled, or right as he was being tackled, actually, and that was the end of the game and the final score was twenty to fifteen. Again, Joel, I have never seen that play before. I was talking to a few, you know, just kind of hearing from different people. There was some people that said that was brilliant, amazing. The best thing they've ever seen. There was other people where like what was he doing? What would what if he fumbled they could have scored. But man, what a wild finish and it sends York to state football championship for the first time in school history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean credit to that, Credit to brutal massle there. And they obviously taking you know, a giant hit in the stats department with that rushback. But I mean, you know, credit to him for you know, being farm enough to you know, have that play happen because obviously there's still time left on the clock. You know, anything could happen, especially in the state semifinal game. You know, there could be a chance of you know, hail Mary, a block fund stuff like that, so you know, to be able to run out those final ten seconds of the clock. And I mean, you know, I was looking at the play because I did end up seeing the replay of it, and you know, there was a good chance that he could have actually been tackled in the end zone with like three seconds left. They had a couple of Aporville Central guys who you know, we're right on him as he made it back there. But you know, he made sure to stay elusive stayed up on the seat and as soon as the clockhead zero step out of bounds. You know, very smart play there, and you know, run a way to get to the state title game for the first time in school history.
Speaker 2: I know, it's funny. When I was watching live, it's one of those things where it's like a horror MOVI where the running away from the bad guys and are they going to make it, be able to make it and be able to make it a tie and and get out alive. And obviously they did. But man, Bruno Massel, he's a kid that you know. I've had a chance to see him live a few times this year. Got obviously got to see him on TV. Kid just makes plays running the football and passing in football. You mentioned took a stats hit. He had about three hundred yards of offense before that for that last play, and that last play was a pretty good minus forty three for him. But he had a big fifty yard run earlier in the game that set up York's first touchdown, and then a really big play late in the game. They were leading by I believe they were leading. Let's see, they were leading at the time by one one. I believe it was fourteen to thirteen. They had believe it was a fourth and fourth and long or third and long. He made a play. He threw off one foot off balance, under pressure, just a dime thirty yards in the air to Simon Kadowski, had set up a touchdown for Jimmy Connors and again sends York to State. And again Bruno Massel. I mean, like we said before, he's a state state caliber sprinter, great running quarterback, but he can make plays through the air too, and and and he showed it, and he sends York to State. And man, what a story for that York program. I mean, they tweeted it out Saturday night when those freshmen when they first started at York High School, York cannot bend to the playoffs in ten years. Their last game is going to be in a Class eight A state championship game. Pretty good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really been a great turnaround for York. I mean, obviously, you know there's two losses earlier in the season to down to show up Northern Lions. You know, we were kind of like, you know, kind of questioning, you know, how they would be able to perform in the playoffs, and they have just emerged as you know, one of the top offenses it depenses for that matter, you know, throughout the entire playoffs, and they showed it once again against a top Naperville Central team. So huge credit to York on that on making it to the state title game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fun finish there, and fun and finish at lincoln Way Central the game that you were at, and man, that that was a game that it seemed like found on Twitter. There was a few times like I was thinking, okay, I was like, okay, well that's probably the game right there, including when lincoln Way Central scored late in the game. But again Michael vander lewid Gharn the sophomore and Isaiah Brown the receiver. Wow, what a game and what a finish for those two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was. It was so funny because I mean, you know, throughout the first half, you know, it was a relatively close contest, but lincoln Way Central you know, got the lead kind of early and they out with it, and third quarter there was nothing that happened. As soon as nothing happened in the third quarter, I'm like, oh, this fourth quarter is gonna be fun. And that's exactly what happened. I mean it was a It was basically like a pendulum for that entire fourth court for the final like half of that fourth quarter. I mean, you know, the Tavia got the lead, I believe it was eighteen fourteen at the time with five minutes left, Then Linking Wayne Central got the lead once again, made it twenty one to eighteen, and then Michael vander Lutgeren, you know, helped Batavia eighty two yards down the field and with thirty seconds left found Isaiah Brown indi en zone for the go ahead touchdown, giving of the twenty five to twenty month victory. But man, what a game it was for both sides. I mean, you know, especially considering how rush dependent both of these teams had been heading into it, it was more of a you know, contest of who had the better air game. I mean, Drew Woodburn, who's you know, usually been the one penny get all. He ended up having one hundred and eighty yards through the air for Lincoln Way Central, and a good majority of it was finding Drew and junior wide receiver Drew in Reason the entire time. I believe he had one hundred and fifty reception yards in that game. But seemed like every single play he had a Batavia defender just kind of draped on him, but he still managed to get a catch. And it was just it was crazy to see down that side. But it was even crazier to see, you know, Batavia having success through the success through the air once again. I mean, it was just a crazy game. I could go on about it forever.
Speaker 2: Well, the passing game is something that at the beginning of the year with Batavia, I you know, it was it was a reason that gave me pause if they were able to have the team that can make a run like this, because you know, I remember I covered the first game of the year against Gwen bard West, the game that you know, Nathan Whitbar thirty five carries in, which was a great game for him. But you're kind of one, you know, is that really going to be sustainable in these deep playoff runs, because eventually they're gonna need to make plays through the air, And I just wondered if eventually they were going to have a team cable of that that. But they found it late in the year with with the sophomore Michael Vanner Lewick Garon coming up and rotating with body Anderson and Michael vaner Lewickkeren. I mean he is he is not h He's become a legend in the wrong way for the lincoln Way School district because two weeks ago he did it lincoln Way West and this year and this week he does the Linkway Central with the Lake comebacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. I asked him about that, like, this is your second week in a row where you've played, you know, game winning drive against the Lincoln Way School. I mean, you know, what's what's kind of happened with that? And he just told me, he was like, I I just remember looking at body Anderson and Sid. I just be like, man, this is fun. I like when this happens.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the ignorance of youth. He doesn't know any better. He's like, this is just fun. This is just fun. Yeah, it's it's fun. It's a semifinals game on the line. But great job by him, great job for Batavia. They're going back to Stay with a throwing win, so you know, hats off to them. They're going to be joined by another Ducane Conference team, you know, one of the big wins, and if you want to call it a surprise, you can then knocking off carry Grove twenty eight to twenty six. And boy, you know, last week I read a story that Boonethorgenson talked about playing complimentary football. It's something they've talked about all year, and darn if they didn't do that last week, because I mean, Tony Jahino continued his monster year. He threw for three hundred and eighty eight yards. He's now thrown for I believe forty six touchdowns on the year. Talent Taylor, I think he had eleven catches and a couple of touchdowns. But they did things they everybody got in on it. They had a huge two point conversion stop late in the game that was able to keep their two point lead, and then they recovered another on site kick. I mean, how many on site kicks so they can recover and I think that's the fourth one in the last two weeks.
Speaker 4: Three weeks. I mean, yeah, but no, it was just an It was just an amazing game and pretty much a lot of things went right for Geneva to have that happen. You mentioned the two point conversion that they stopped, that you know, led to them stopping the tie or stopping the tie, But I think the even bigger play was near the end of the first half, I believe, was it the first half. I think it was. It was in the first half. They actually are Geneva's offense actually stopped Terry grow from reaching the end zone in a goal line stand. I mean, there were three consecutive plays that were within Geneva's five yard line and they kept them out of the end zone there. They kept the triple option out of the end zone, and it was just you know, it was a very impressive stop and the defense showed up when they needed to. And yeah, I mean you mentioned it. Tony Chachino, you know, did super well in the game once again, three hundred and eighty eight passing yards. Talon Taylor once again, I believe he had one hundred and ninety five or section in yards and he even had to one hit catches in the game. One of them, you know, on the sideline. He just basically reached out and grabbed it out of the air. It was probably one of the most impressive catches I've ever seen. But yeah, I know a lot of things went right for Geneva in that game in order to reach the state final for the first time since two thousand and eight. I mean a lot of the players that are on this team weren't even past three years old at this point. So a really impressive win for Geneva against a really talented Perry Grove team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Tony Kaino was three years old because Alex Kentucky are righter and his lead of the story he talked about that Tony Chahino says he was there and from that two thousand and eight game, and he's got the pictures to prove it from when he was, you know, three years old or whatever at the time, and obviously a big one leading them back. But you mentioned Talent Taylor. You know, these teams played last year in the playoffs. Kerry Grove beat them rather handily. I think it was forty one to seven. Talent Taylor did play in that game, but he was coming back from that that injury that he'd suffered, the leg injury has suffered against Batavia. I don't think he was one hundred percent for that game, but he still played. And you know, he talked about in the story that that game really you know, kind of really has sat with him for for obviously a year, and and obviously he comes out and he plays the way that he's capable of one of the best players in the state. Huge game for him. Another one too that I noticed. You know, we talked about Michael vander Lui Garran for Batavia coming up. I don't have you noticed. There was a sophomore for Geneva, Nelson Wendell uh Heason call up from the JV team. He had a sack, he had a funnel recovery, and he or no, he had a stack and interception and he also recovered the the on site kicks. So interesting that for both Batavia and Geneva, really big time plays for guys that were not on the varsity team for a good part of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy to think that. It's like for some of these kids, they were playing in the tav At Geneva game, but they were playing in the sophomore game beforehand, and now they're making big plays for both of these team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it was really impressive showing and actually a funny story. I did end up seeing this on a live stream. For the on side kick, it wasn't Jade Hodgten who actually kicked the ball. It was sophomore Bennett Conky who kicked the ball and Nelson Wendell came up and you know, secured the on side kick after bombs off of a Kerry Grove defender. But I mean, huge, huge game for the sophomores overall for the Duk Conference.
Speaker 2: Do any of the kicking.
Speaker 4: I believe it was just for that onside kick. I know he I know he did kick an extra point earlier in the year after. I believe it was one of those games where they were calling all players a whole lot for you know, the shin guards or like the knee pads being in the wrong position. They did that with their kicker at one point they're like, what do we do? Send Bennet Khaki and then he take the field or the extra point. So he has done kicking for them before. But I don't think for an onside kick.
Speaker 2: Great great deal, great great excitement for Geneva. It's gonna be fun next Senteray with Geneva and Batavia playing at back to back games, and we'll talk about, you know a little bit later in the podcast. But game that I was on I was at on Saturday Nazareth playing Saint Francis, a rematch of a week nine Saint Francis win also a rematch of last year's semifinal that Nazareth won. And Nazareth, I mean, you know, I was talking to another writer before the game and I said, you know, at St. Francis, they've had a great season. They have been nas in Week nine. But Nazareth has six seniors that played for the state championship team two years ago as sophomores as starters. And they also have their quarterback Logan Malchick and their best defensive player, Gab Kamencie. They started as freshmen for a quarterfinal team. You know, long story short, I was saying, not to take any away from Nasare or Saint Francis. I just don't see Nazareth losing their last home playoff game. Hey, football fans, listen up on top there and I drive a Hawk. I got it from my friends Hawk Folkswagon. So drive what I drive.
Speaker 5: Drive a Hawk off Volkswagon on Jefferson Street in Joliet.
Speaker 2: Or online at HAWKVW dot com.
Speaker 1: Be the hass clothing brand based right here in Chicago, Land that specializes in custom apparel. So if you need your logo on team apparel, hoss Co is the place to go. Visit Bethehass dot com and use code Friday Night for twenty percent off your order. They have it all.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm State Representative Steve Reich, and I'm here to wish everybody a happy Thanksgiving. Let's make it a happy Thanksgiving for our neighbors as well. My office is conducting a food drive for local food pantries here in McHenry County at ten seventy two Lake Avenue. If you're out and about, drop some non perishable food items off at my office.
Speaker 3: And we'll see that they get delivered.
Speaker 2: Every dollar helps.
Speaker 5: Let's make happy Thanksgiving for.
Speaker 2: You know, with with that kind of experience, and sure enough, that experience really boards Solf out. Nazareth was able to jump out to a quick fourteen en up in lead. Logan Malchick hit a couple you know, deep strikes to get off to a really good lead and it really kind of set the tone for the game and Nazareth's defense that I mean it gave up thirty nine points to Saint Francis. You know, they got hit for over fifty points against Mount Carmel. Their defense was really good. They just they just made things very uncomfortable for Saint Francis. Saint Francis was really never to get able to get in sync in that game. You know, Brady Palmer just kind of struggled. They tried a couple of trick plays where they did like a reverse throwback deep pass and and Nazareth was all over it. They were ready, they were disciplined, They're able to get an incomplete pass the first time, and then they were able to get it again on a fourth and goal at the end of the first half. And then you know, the other big part of the game is Saint franc Is actually opened the second half with a kickoff return for a touchdown for Zach Washington. But then Nazareth comes right back with their own kickoff return for a touchdown. That's another thing that I've never seen before is back to back kickoff returns. Edward McClain for Nazareth gets it, but you know, Nazareth never looked back. And now they're going back to stay for the third year in a row. And on the other side, I'm gonna be honest, Saint Francis was pretty disappointed, not only in that they lost, but in how they played. I think they felt that they were a better team than they showed. The final score was forty to twenty one, and Nazareth really controlled that game. And I think that loss really did not sit well on the San Francis side, just the way they came out and played.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we talked about it in the podcast last week. We talked about how each of the last three contests were really close between these two programs and how we expected it to be close again and for Nazareth to come out and basically just dominate the game throughout. I obviously it is a tough loss for Saint Francis they fall in the semifinals to Nazareth again, but I mean it was just a dominant showing from Nazareth all throughout, and they're looking they're looking pretty keen to winning another state title.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I Mean, they lost a week Week nine of Saint Francis, but ever since the playoffs has started, they've just been they have They've rolled, They've rolled through the first four opponents. They've been very impressive, and they look like a team that wants to win a third straight state championship. So we'll see what happens with that. You know, last semifinal touchdown. Last week, UH, Montini with a really good win over Wilmington. Final score was forty two to twelve. You know, if Montini is going to score forty points in a game, any team is gonna be tough to beat, but especially with that defense. That defense basically has everybody back from last year's semifinalists. But their offense, We've talked about it before in the podcast. Offense has really kind of turned the corner since about week four or so. They went full time with a sophomore, Israel Abraham or Israel Abrams full time quarterback as a sophomore. He was rotating early a year, but he had a big game. He threw for four touchdown passes.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: Santano Florio was one, c J Harkins said, two others, and then Jeremiah Peterson. He's a kid that was he was Montini's middle linebacker last year. And they've had some injuries at running back. He's taken over and and he ran for one hundred and forty yards and just kind of a dominant win for Montini and and UH first time going back to stay since twenty eighteen. I'm not surprised that they won and again, if they're gonna score that kind of points, it's gonna be pretty difficult to beat that team because that defense does not give up many points.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure Montini was kind of happy to have another big, you know, scoring game after the past two weeks where they kind of you know, had to grind out victories in each of the last two rounds. But yeah, no, it was definitely a dominance showing from Israel Abrams in that game. And you know, they've shown consistently how good of a team that they can beat throughout these playoffs, and you know, they did it once again in the semi finals, and they should definitely be a fun one to watch next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I guess we'll look kind of segue right out into the championship weekend that we have ahead of us. You know, we have local teams and in five of the eight five of the eight state championship games, and I'll start with a Montini game. They're playing Monticello in the Class three of state championship at four o'clock on Friday, and Montini I mentioned before. I mean, you know, there is about a decade where they were basically like regulars every year they were at State. It seemed like I think they were there like eight or nine times out of ten years, something crazy like that. But they have not been back since twenty eighteen. But man, I tell you what, everybody was saying that that that game against Byron was sort of like the sort of unofficial state championship game, and until I'm told otherwise, I think it might be. You know, Monticello is a really good story. I think they're a state champion in twenty and eighteen. I did a little little research Ike Young. He's a dual threat quarterback. I think he's thrown for three thousand yards, he's run rush for a thousand. I believe he's going to Illinois as a baseball commit. Uh So he's kind of the player to watch for Monticello. But again, Montini coming from that Catholic league, the schedule that they play in weekend and week out, then they able to handle Byron. It's very hard for me to see Montini losing this game on Friday. The one wild card I will say is is you know, with the sophomore quarterback, you wonder how he's gonna handle the big stage a situation like that. Israel Abrams who's a really good player, who's a little jittery at times, and that that Byron game a little sort of overthrows. He threw an interception early, so you know, I think if he can settle down, play his game, rely on that defense in that running game, I think Montini is a very big favorite in that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, And you kind of mentioned, you know, having the jitters obviously, you know, playing on that big of a stage as a sophomore can sometimes be a little bit you know, Anxcity and Ducie, and it'll be interesting to see if he can live up to the challenge. But I mean, like you mentioned, you know, Montini is really battle tested throughout the entire season, I mean going through the CCL E s c C. I mean Steve Stucy talked about it and his kind of recap talking about, you know, how some of these teams have they some of those private schools have been tested throughout the majority of the season, and Mantini is definitely one of those teams that has, you know, faced those challenges throughout the year. So it should be really fun to see, you know, if they can live up to those expectations in the championship. Round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was eight CCL E SCC teams that were playing in semifinals last weekend, and six out of the eight advanced and the only two that did not advance they lost to other ccl CC teams. So, you know, quite a weekend for that league, setting the stage for quite a final weekend for that league as it continues to show itself to be the you know, pre eminent league in the States. So that kind of leads us into the SAT games and interesting, Joel, I mean, it's kind of a you know, kind of unofficial theme is a rematch day, and in three other four games, the teams are very familiar with each other. You know. I'll start with that five A game Nazareth playing Joy at Catholic. Nazareth beat Joy at Catholic last year. The final score was thirty eight to twenty, but it really wasn't indicative of the kind of game it was because Joey Catholic actually led at halftime of that game and then Nazareth really kind of dominated the second half. They actually played early in a year as well, Nazareth beat them in a kind of surprisingly low scoring game sixteen to thirteen. So you know, Joia Katholic is rolling. They won pretty big over over Morris last week. They got a huge offensive line that they're run behind. But the one question I have is can they contain Nazareth's skill position, their speed on the outside When they played in that game last year in A five A championship, they just cannot handle them. I mean that Nazareth was just hitting them with big play after big play. James Penny. They're seeing their senior receiver. He was a junior last year. He had a huge game in the championship game. Logan Malachik did as well. And so if if Joey Katholic can kind of, you know, contain that speed on the outside and and limit the big play, and then this could be a really good game, you know, interesting close game down to the wire. I just questioned whether they can do that. I think it's a tough matchup for Joey Katholic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely is a tough matchup for them. I mean, obviously, you know, they've had some pretty good winstrout season. I mean, you know, Rindy got wins against teams like Fenwick or Marris earlier in the season. But I'm not sure how they are how they can contain the offense that has you know, arisen at massive rich throughout the playoffs. And you know last year you kind of mentioned it, you know, it was close for half, but you know, I'm I don't know if that will be the case again this year or not. Well, it'll just be a game that we'll have to see to find out.
Speaker 2: Yep, that'll be the Saturday ten am game. That the second game on Saturday, the one pm six A game, Geneva playing East Saint Louis. I will say that East Saint Louis is probably happy not to see Kerry Grove because Carry Grove is really proven to be their kryptonite at state with a with a couple of state championship losses to Carry Grove. But Geneva, you know, obviously they're again they're going to this game as a as an undergog, as most teams do against East Saint Louis. But you know, Geneva's just got something special going on. And and I mean obviously East Saint Louis. You know, a few teams have the talent that they do, but Geneva will have maybe the best player on the field with talent Taylor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean, they have been battle tested throughout you know, these playoffs with the wins against you know, Fox Valley Conference opponents, i mean Burlington Central in the second round and then also you know that went against Terry Grove last week. So it'll be really interesting to see how they live up to facing off against arguably one of the top are arguably the best team in Illinois, but you know, East St. Louis obviously has you know, the talent throughout their entire roster, and you know they can they can get you in multiple different ways. So I'm really interested to see how Geneva kind of tries to limit them throughout that game. And you know, if we talked about rematches, this is actually the rematch of the two thousand and eight state title game, which is the last time that Geneva has been in this situation. So you know, they've they've been able to kind of you know, dope or they've been able to get wins against opponents that they have lost to in previous seasons. This year, I mean, obviously they're win against Batavia back in Week six and then Kerry Grove last week, so you know, they'll have another chance to get revenge. But you know it's gonna be interesting to see how these two teams face off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, tough, tough assignment there for Geneva, But then again, they've proven that they can beat teams and maybe teams didn't think. I mean I was questioning whether they could be Potato because they hadn't done it and in over a decade, and I was questioning they could beat Kerry Grove. So you know, we'll see it's it's it's a tough assignment for them, it's East Saint Louis, But you know that's why they play the game. The In seven eight Batavia Mount Carmel, and I tell you what, these two programs they know each other pretty well. I mean they faced each other in the semifinals last year and the CHA Championship two years ago, and in the second round three years ago, which was a very good game, kind of a controversial ending. My question for Batavia is can they slow down Mount Carmel's offense because Mount Carmel's offense, especially since Jack Elliott, the Vanderbilt recruit, has you know, gotten a lot healthier. They have just not been slowed down. They just really rolled past Saint Rital last week and when they play Batavio last year in the semifinals. I mean, granted, there's some players from Mount Carmel that were in that game that are not in the game anymore, but you know, I think they dropped about sixty four points or something like that in Batavia. Is can Batavia slow that offense down? And probably and that probably involves Batavia's offense being on the field quite a bit with Nathan whitwell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's definitely gonna be a game of you know, how how much time can Batavia's offense have on the field and how little will Mount Carmel be on the field with their offense. So you know, that's gonna be the game plan of Batavia. That's my guess at least. But no, it's it's gonna be a really interesting game. I mean, obviously, you know you mentioned it. Jack Elliott has really been good throughout these playoffs and is really you know, hasn't been challenged throughout, even though they faced some pretty good teams earlier down the line, especially like you know, Saint Charles North game everybody thought was going to be close and then it wasn't, unfortunately, But you know, it was. You know, it's gonna be really interesting to see because another thing also is that Batavia's defensive back room. You know, it's been mentioned a couple of times. They're not really big on you know, that pass protection, but they're going to be needed a whole lot in that game if they want to be able to contain Mount Carmel. So you know it's gonna be interesting to watch. Batavia's defense has shown time and time again that they can live up to tests against big offenses, and you know they're gonna have to face the biggest one in the state title game. Again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough game for them. Obviously, they go in like Geneva's underdog in this game. But I will say that they are familiar with Mount carl I mean it's the fourth in row they played each other, so there's you know, there's no secrets. They faced Jack Elliott in the game before they did last year. He had a huge game last year, and he's obviously going to be a top priority for them. So that's seven a game and then an eight a game again. Another rematch, York Is playing Loyola. Loyola got sort of if you want to call it a surprise knocking off Lincoln Weay East, who was a number one ranked team in the state. Last week. Loyola and York playing each other for the third year in a row. They faced each other in the semifinals the last two years. I will say again, every year is different and the way teams are playing. But York faced Loyola two years ago and it was basically not really much of the contest. It was thirty to three. Last year they faced each other, it was twenty three to fourteen, and they were in the game for a good part of the game. So I think that gives them a little bit more confidence.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the big thing is just, you know, who controls a line of scrimmage in that game. You know, Loyola is a team that they were against at Lincoln Way East. It was tough to get them on the field or get them off the field with their quarterback Zgerald running the football and passing the football. And on the other side, you know, can York continue to offensively the way they have been with Bruno Massol on their running backs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely gonna be a question of who has a bigger momentum heading into this game. I mean obviously, or has time and time again proven themselves against some elite defenses. I mean earlier in the season. You've got Edwards, Bill, You've got also shoot my bad, Yeah, I was thinking about Sorry, I got an email and I lost my train of thought. But you know, it's one of those things where you know, Loyola obviously has a really good defense to go along with the great offense, and it'll be, you know, a question of which offense is gonna you know, be better against you know, some pretty good defenses. So once again, it should be interesting to see how it plays out, and it should be a close game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean the quarterbacks they don't look like each other. I mean, Fitzgerald is a big kid. He's going to I with Bruno. Massel is not that big of a quarterback. But they're both simil are in that, you know. I think I think running is their first length. Both of them run the football really well, but both of them can make plays to the air as well. So obviously both offenses start with those two guys and they're gonna, you know, be a big part about what happens in that game. So it should be fun, a lot of excitement looking forward. To it, Joe, We're gonna be there all weekend. You'll be there on Saturday. I'll be there late Friday into Saturday. You know we're gonna have previous features all week. We're gonna full coverage all week. What do you think of looking forward to It should be a really fun final weekend.
Speaker 4: I'm making my trip back down to normal after being there two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I'm right.
Speaker 4: I know my way down there, I know my way to the walls in between, and you know, I'm excited to see how this week turns out.
Speaker 2: Should be a lot of fun. I'll be back here tomorrow. Actually, excuse me, I'll be back around Wednesday tape in a podcast look Ahead with Steve Sussi again our previous and features this week and coverage this week on a Friday night Drive for Joe Bennett's I'm Josh Welge. Everybody, have a great Monday afternoon. Do you ever wonder where the profits go when you shop at a big box store? Hi, this is Patty from Oliver's Corner Market. When you shop at Oliver's, you can rest assured that the profits stay local, supporting other local businesses and charities. Find us at the corner of britt and Bradshaw and Dixon.