Speaker 1: But let's do a little hockey on the program.
Speaker 2: Little Utah Hockey Club opening day right around the corner, and one of their centers, Logan Cooley, is our guest on a Monday Logan, Happy Monday man.
Speaker 1: How you doing good?
Speaker 3: How are you for having me on? I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. I appreciate you calling promptly right off the top. What is it about you hockey guys that are so polite and like on time all? What what makes you guys such nice guys that like are responsible and on time and things like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think that's just I don't like, it's simple just hockey guys. I think we're always, you know, just pretty child guys down there, you know, humble and you know, just like to kind of do things the right way, you know. I think that's what it makes their sport, you know, really enjoyable to watch and kind of just brings a lot of fans. And yeah, but I think, just like you said, just down there guys and you know, respectful people.
Speaker 2: Is it something about the way that hockey culture is when you're growing up. Because I grew up in the Northeast, it's a hockey hotbed, and so I you know, encountered and got to know a lot of hockey players, a lot of pro hockey players.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's the discipline you need to play such a hard sport. I don't know if it's the culture of the way you're raised playing hockey, or maybe you just have good parents. What is it about the youth hockey experience logan that seems to breed you know, professional hockey players that know what it's like to be a pro, the true meaning of being a pro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it's kind of all the above what you just said that. I think just the culture and hockey. It's you know, just all about being selfless, you know, kind of putting the team first and and everything you do that's what you need to do to you know, be successful player associally at the NHL level and especially if you want to win. So I think just you know, like I said, being selfless, always being about the team, doing whatever you needed to kind of do to help the team win. I think it's super important. And I think you get that in hockey growing up, and they kind of teach you at an early age, what it's like to kind of be a champion and you know, if you want to have a successful career.
Speaker 1: So let's get to know you a little bit. Logan.
Speaker 2: Of course, the Utah hockey experience is new to a lot of people around here in Salt Lake, and so we'll get to you know, how the preseason is going. We'll talk about the opener. But let's get to know Logan Cooley a little bit. Where'd you grow up? When did you first fall in love with hockey? And when did you first realize that you have a shot to be pretty good at this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Started playing when I was around four or five, and I think just my whole family was kind of surrounded by hockey. It's kind of all I really knew growing up. And I think, you know, you always think you're pretty good growing up, and then you know it's fortunate to play for the national team development prog room in uh Plymouth, Michigan, and I think from there you kind of it's the you know, top twenty three players American players in your birth and I think just from there that's kind of when I knew that you know, if I keep going in this direction and keep doing what I'm doing, that you know, maybe I have a chance to play in the National Hockey League.
Speaker 2: So were you, I would imagine you were always a goal scorer. I mean, hell, it's your goal scorer now, So it's not like they moved you, you know, out of goal for you to you know, be pushed up to see I Were you always somebody who excelled in the attack, scoring goals, even as a young player growing up in youth hockey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I think, you know, for me, that's what I love to do. I love, you know, scoring goals, and you know, when you're scoring goals, you're helping your team win. So I think just there's no better feeling that you know, when you see that putt go in the back than that. And you know, I think everyone's always trying to score goals. That's kind of a for most most guys is how they can you know, get more goals, find ways to you know, score And I think for me it's always something that you know, I've worked on during the season, during the off season, just always trying to find different ways to kind of put the puck in the net.
Speaker 2: So when did you first hear the news that you guys were moving?
Speaker 1: And where were you? What was it like?
Speaker 2: Like, what was that phone call logan that you received when whoever it is told you, hey, you live in Utah?
Speaker 1: Now, what was that like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was it was my first year in the league, so it's pretty wild. Like I didn't really it was all just you know, as a young kid comeing to the league, you don't really know what to expect. And obviously there was a lot of stuff that happened last year, and you know, there was always, let's say, you know, a word that we might be moving, and you know, you just never really believe it until it actually happens. And when we first got word, I think, you know, officially we were in Edmonton, I believe, getting ready to play a game. I think, you know, a GM came in. The coach kind of gave us a little talk that you know, we were kind of officially heading to Utah. So it was tough to kind of process right away. But you know, I know I could speak for you know, everyone else on the team also, it's just how excited we are to be here, you know, It's how excited the fans are, and it's it's pretty special to have an ownership like group like Ryan Smith and for him to kind of do what he's been doing, it's pretty special and it gives us, you know, a really good chance to be a successful team in this league.
Speaker 2: Did you know anything about Utah prior to arriving here? I mean, you're twenty years old. You grew up, you know, in a central part of the country, and then you lived in Arizona.
Speaker 1: So did you know anything about Utah?
Speaker 2: And attendant to that question, what have you learned about Utah since you landed here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, if I'm gonna be honest, I didn't know too much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: When I first landed here, it was, you know, just an unbelievable spot. I think when you're coming on the plane and see the mountains and just the city, I think it's just unbelievable. So I think, just honestly, just getting situated here and everyone just seems like unbelievable people. Everyone's so nice here and you know, respectful. So I think that's the biggest thing, is just how welcoming it is here, And it really made the transition really easy as a young kid and a player in this league.
Speaker 2: What sort of style do you guys want to play? I mean, preseason is the preseason, and there's been a combination of some of the big name guys like you when like Clayton playing and some of the young guys that won't be playing in the NHL at all have been getting some run. So it's hard to really identify exactly what the identity of the team is, at least from my seat, until we see all you guys play together when the reg season and the puck drops in just over a week now. But generally speaking, what style of play would you tell fans the Utah Hockey Club wants to wants to execute this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think just we always talked about being, you know, a team that plays with speed, plays with pace, it's not afraid to do little dirty work and go to the dirty areas. But I think, you know, when we do all those things, when we play as the team and we play the right way, you know, not forcing any plays and you know, playing behind the other team's defense, I think we're a really tough team to beat. And you know, we showed that a little bit last year. Obviously, before that that losing streak. But you know, I think just with this year, we have a lot more experienced, a lot of more players that you know, have have won in this league, which is super important. So I think, you know, I'm excited to kind of see what we could do. But you know, I think when like I said, when we're doing those things and you know, we're a super tough team to beat, and you know, I'm excited to get going here.
Speaker 2: So twenty goals twenty four sis a year ago as a rookie, I mean, that's an awesome rookie year. Do you have individual metrics that you'd like to see yourself hit? Are you one of these guys prior to the season you write the number thirty down a million times and just manifest yourself scoring thirty goals?
Speaker 1: Like, what's that process look like?
Speaker 2: What are some of the individual goals you hope to accomplish this year after a really good rookie season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think just you know, I would think any guy in the league has you know, the competitive league. Everyone wants to continue to get better and you know, produce and kind of have a name for themselves in this league. So I think, you know, for me, It's always about you know, the team and doing what I need to do to help the team, you know, win a championship. So but I think, you know, I'd probably be lying if I, you know, said I didn't have any goals or specific things I want to hit. But yeah, I mean, I think you know, you always want to do better than you were the year before. And just you know, I'm not a guy that puts a specific number. I don't like to have, you know, limits on myself. But you know, I'm excited to see what I can do with you know, just a year of experience in uh, in this league.
Speaker 1: Who are the leaders in that locker room? You know when logan, when when.
Speaker 2: Player X, Y or Z stands up and decides to address the group, who gets the attention, who gets the respect? Who are the I mean you're you're twenty years old, so maybe it's you, but you're a young player. Who are some of the guys you look up to that when they speak in the locker room they have your full attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're pretty you know, fortunate to have you know, a ton of great leaders mentors on this team. I think you know, there's guys that aren't the loudest in the room, but you know, show leadership by their playof on the ice. Then you have guys that you know are a little louder in the locker room, guys like you know Lost and Krause, you know, Clayton Keller who, let's say, kind of leads more by example. You know, just guys like them that kind of you know, been around the league for a while. You know, a guy like Sergachev's you know, won two Cubs, being cool, who has come in Like I think when you guys that you know, shown that they've been on winning teams that you kind of, you know, listen up when they speak, and I think that's super important as a young player and just as a young team. I think it's important to you know, have a lot of leadership and you know, experience that can help us moving forward here.
Speaker 1: Who's the best fighter? Now? Uh?
Speaker 2: The sports fans around here are not used to what they're about to see. When you know, the the gloves drop and there are punches thrown. It's not something that happens in basketball the way that it does in hockey or football or really any any sport. It's kind of embedded in the culture. Who are Is there one dude that stands out run among the rest you Logan when it comes to the toughest guy in that locker room and the gloves drop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think you know, he's really made a name for himself, had say Liam O'Brien, just the way you know, obviously he could throw down. Obviously he's a really good fighter. But you know, he's a guy that you know will stick up for anyone on our team, you know. So it's super awesome to have and you know, you honestly feel just a little more comfortable out on the ice sheet just knowing that you know he's on your side and we'll step up if you ever need him. So he's an important piece of our team. And but yeah, for sure, say Liam O'Brien.
Speaker 2: What is the origin story of the spicy tuna nickname?
Speaker 1: I've heard the nickname. I just don't know where it came from.
Speaker 3: I honestly couldn't tell you. I kind of just went on with it when I first came in the league. I actually do not know the exact reason, but yeah, that's something that I might have to find out here.
Speaker 2: Do you have a nickname, Logan either now or growing up. Did you have a nickname when you were coming up through the ranks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's just always cool just short for the the last name. I think everyone kind of you know, just keeps, you know, add like an S to their last name or whatever in the hockey world. So it's it's pretty short. But you know, I've had it since I was, you know, probably ten years old.
Speaker 2: I read that even though you grew up in Pittsburgh you were an Novechkin fan. I can't imagine that endeared you to your classmates as as a kid.
Speaker 3: Is that the case, Yeah, for sure, definitely we'll get ripped a little bit, but yeah, I mean I just, you know, from a young age, just loved the Capitals and I loved the way obviously they had a bunch of teams that were, you know, really skilled, and I just love the way Ov played, and so obviously one of my favorite players growing up. So it was nice to kind of you know, watched them growing up. And obviously them in the Penguins had a bunch of great battles, so it was always fun, you know, when those two teams were going at it.
Speaker 2: So it appears from what I've read that hockey is a family affair for you. In the Cooley household, you have some brothers that have played some college hockey, some uncles that played some college hockey. So so was hockey not only something that you loved individually, but something that was kind of a family affair as you were coming up in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. I think, you know, with my two uncles both playing, my two brothers, you know, I just remember when my brothers were playing, always wanting to go to their practice, and you know, when I was at there practice, I always had a stick in my hand. I just you know, loved every second of being at the ring. So I think it's, you know, for me, that's all I kind of knew that's all I wanted to do from a young age. And you know, I just remember, you know, growing up, I didn't want to do anything else but play it, play this game. So I'm pretty fortunate that this is my job and this is what I love to do. So but you know, when you have a family that kind of has played Division One, played a little bit of pro you it really made me excited and made me want to do something special with with this game.
Speaker 1: Is your family still in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Any plans for them to come out and check out your digs in Salt Lake and maybe see some Utah hockey this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're still in Pittsburgh, but you know though for sure be out here a ton. You know, they my parents helped move me in, so you know, I got a nice place here and it's gonna be awesome for you know when they come out. Even when we went I went to that preseason game and at the Delta Center, I just got so excited and you know, texted them right away just saying how I can't wait for them to come see it and you know, get to get on that ice. It's gonna be pretty special to have my family there. And you know obviously the same and too.
Speaker 2: Is it is it hard for either your parents to see you're twenty years old?
Speaker 1: I have a son that's twenty three. My son's three years older than you are.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know you're you're a young player second year. Is it tough for mom and dad to see their uh, they're you know, their their youngest boy away from away from the nest.
Speaker 1: Is it hard for them to see you.
Speaker 2: Go out on their own or on your own or are they just proud of what you're doing they just kind of have your back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's definitely a little bit of both. Obviously, They you know, want to see me succeed and you know, will support me with, you know, with anything I do. So I'm lucky in that aspect. But you know, for me, it's never easy leaving home. I'd say definitely my mom. You know, it's always tough leaving her, and you know she doesn't always take it the best way. So many time I could, you know, see her throughout the year and have her come out. It's awesome and you know, you just feel a lot more comfortable and she's around, and but yeah, being a young kid, it's it's every easy leaving you know, your family. But again, this is the sacrifices that you have to make to play this game and definitely wouldn't change it for the world for sure.
Speaker 2: When when Logan Cooley isn't playing hockey, what's Logan Cooley doing? Is I was talking video games? Are you an outdoors guy? You like to get out, you like to read movies?
Speaker 1: What? What?
Speaker 2: What are some things you like to do when you're not playing hockey? To kind of keep your mind right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's always especially during the year, on your off days, you're usually pretty tired and just want to chill. So I think just you know, getting on the video games with some of my buddies back home, or in the summertime, when you know, not playing hockey, it's always fun to get out on the course and just kind of relax. It's a good way to kind of take your mind off hockey and just be with your buddies. So I like to be active too. I don't like to just you know, kind of sit inside all day. But those are some things that you know for sure like to do all right.
Speaker 2: Log and last thing and I'll set you loose, you know. Your general manager, Bill Armstrong has been very adamant that this is still a rebuild, and it's a step by step rebuild. Obviously expediting the process with Sergachev and some others. This offseason has allowed some vets cole guys like that to kind of permeate into a young locker room and maybe you grow faster than any of us expect. Is it playoffs or bust? Is it one game at a time? Is it let's lift the Trophy. What's what's the team's approach to another year and an incremental rebuild, and what do you think the fan base should expect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, it's always having a winning attitude. And for me, I just I don't like to have limits on anything. I think anything is possible when you know, you come together as a group and and you work towards the same goal. So I think just you know, taking it day by day. It's you know, we have a thing you know around the rink that you know, our coach always talks about it is just one the day, and I think that's super important kind of just focus on whether it's just practice, whether it's the game. I think just you know, coming together as a group and just putting one foot in front of the other. You know. Obviously it's like you said, it's still we're trying to kind of build our team and being a successful NHL team, and that obviously takes time. But you know, I think for us, we're ready to kind of you know, start being extremely competitive, start you know, winning games and obviously pushing for the playoffs. So that's all we have in mind, is, you know, is making the playoffs and doing things the right way to make sure we get there.
Speaker 2: Last thing, Why ninety two? Why number ninety two? I read that's the highest war number in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Go for history. Why'd you land on ninety two? Yeah?
Speaker 3: When I first committed there, there was a guy that took eighteen, and I didn't want to be, you know, taking his number. So I were eighteen for a while growing up, and I don't know, I just thought there's no specific reason. I just thought maybe i'd switch it up a little bit and just love the way. Ninety two had a pretty good year at Minnesota, so I kept it, and you know, I think it looks pretty.
Speaker 2: Good up there, all right, Budd, I appreciate the time. It's great to have you guys here. Been a long time hockey fan and a long time hosting this market without hockey to talk about. So juice to have the Utah Hockey Club and stay safe, good health, and we'll chat to and thank you Logan, Thank you all right. Logan Cooley one of the centers for Utah Hockey Club. Number ninety two is his number. He had twenty goals and twenty four assists last year, forty four points in his rookie season, kick and fly. He's got a lot of complete skill sets and you're gonna see a lot from him that I think that four to twenty goal scores a year ago, and Logan was one of them, simply his rookie season.
Speaker 1: I has good Zazi has good speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wear's number ninety two and appreciate him stopping by today. If you want to meet Logan, I've got good news. He'll be at Overtime Cards and Collectibles, which is a client of ours and uh a great spot. Been out there on remote a couple of different times. My buddy Chris owns it. If you like sports, you're gonna love Overtime Cards and Collectibles. They have all the best trading cards and collectibles for all your favorite sports basketball, football, the NFL, NHL, Major League Baseball, MMA, and so many more. You can buy cards for all your favorite athletes now from Cam Rising, Kyante George and Larry Martin with the Jazz, and even all your favorite old school players like John Stocked and Karl Malone. Some of the cards are even signed for all of you hockey fans out there. Logan Cooley my guest this hour forward for the Utah Hockey Club is gonna be on sites October eighteenth, uh so October eighteenth. Check it out one oh six to seven three South State Street in Sandy,