Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connelly, don k ninem god wa.
Speaker 3: Say can the nicety three Mandy Donald keeping sad bab Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to a Monday edition of the show. And it feels like a Monday to me. I'm here Mandy Connell for the next three hours, joined by Michael Coover for the next two hours when his union Ray kicks in and Grant takes over. Jeff kidding. All of our producers are doing like ninety drops right now, so Cooverer's got to go. Often is today your day to do the laundry for all the staff? Is that today?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 3: Michael? That is today?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like my Lynnen's crisp little little lu charch in with him when you when you do them. There you're working on my folding. Yeah, it's fun, you know. I mean, we work in radio half the time. We don't look like anything's been hired or fold it at all. So yeah, that is how that's going now. I do have a lot of stuff to talk about today, and oh geez, I messed up my computer. Hang on one second messed up my layout. I have to get all of my windows opened to the show would not be the same without forty seven windows open on my computer because my computer needs to look like my brain, and my brain always has forty seven windows open. All right, here we go find the blog by going to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. No apostrophe. I know it's not grammatically correct, but we have to work with the r UURL rules. And then look for the headline that says ten seven twenty four blog It's time to pick up some weights plus a DCSD bond issue. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within. I did you go with.
Speaker 6: Someone's in office half of American all with ships and clipmas and say that's going to press plant.
Speaker 3: Today? On the blog Israel is fighting to save Western civilis before Western civilization can stop it. Everyone needs to read this to know what really happened. Michelle Zelner is on to talk strength training. Douglas County Schools has a bond issue, an argument against ranked choice voting. Former GOP chair feels the opposite way. Happy Cabriny Day, the Great American Beer festival is this week. The Mayor's not buying guaranteed income. Don't be a dumbass with a fire. Pit man is attacked by a bear in his home. Lorie Smith's attorneys would like their money Colorado. Why are taxpayers funding left wing causes? Yes, Tina Peters deserved what she got. How Denver got immigration wrong? Hurricane Milton is going to be a banger. Kamala gives word salad on Israel conflict for the fun. When Kamala's teleprompter went out. Tom Cotton is a verbal ninja. Those are the headlines on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com. And as you can see, you've got a lot of political stuff today. But today is October seventh, and that means that today is the day that a year ago Hamas began what I believe will be the last war with Israel, and today marks the anniversary. One hundred and one hostages are still unaccounted for. I would love to believe that they are all alive, but I don't. I don't know how many of them are alive, and I don't want Israel to stop trying to get them back. But I think Hamas is full of evil. Bastards, and the last year in captivity has probably been horrific for these people in captivity, if they are indeed still alive now. Over the weekend, I was connected with someone who lives in Israel through a friend of mine, and this person is currently in the military. They were in the military when October seventh happened, and I got to speak with them with the agreement that I would not share any identifying information about them at all with you, but I wanted to talk to someone who is in the fight to find out what's different this time than all of the other times. And first of all, it was a very very illuminating phone call, a very illuminated phone call, not surprising in any way, shape or form. But I am more convinced than ever that Israel will not stop until there is some kind of regime change in Iran because they know that everyone they're fighting is just doing it because Iran is supplying them with weapons and rockets and inspiring them and paying them to go and attack Israel. They know that Hamas and Hezbola and the Huthis are nothing without Iran. And I asked this person, I said, Okay, you've been through multiple this individual is about let me do the math here in my head, probably roughly forty roughly, and they've been in the IDF since they were eighteen years old. They are a lifer, they are an officer, they are a career soldier. And this person in that time has been in six different wars of differing lengths, right. I mean, there was the first Lebanon War where Lebanon fired a bunch of rockets and din a hostile attack but not nearly as effectively, and Israel crushed it. And the United Nations came in and said, we're going to fix this by creating and I didn't know about this, by the way, I was not hip to this particular conversation with the UN until this weekend. So the United Nations came in, This was in two thousand and six, and they said, we are going to clear out a zone in Lebanon that gives enough buffer between the Lebanese people and the Israeli border that Israel will never have to worried about an attack like this again except you and didn't follow through with any of it. And now Lebanon has built right up to the border with Israel, and Israel is in the process now of destroying everything within fifteen to twenty kilometers of the Israeli border with the sole purpose, not of killing Lebanese people, not even of killing Hesbela. Because here's the thing. The Israelis don't care about Hesbela if it exists. They don't care if Islamis want to create organizations that believe anyone who is not Muslim should be killed or die right, or convert, be forced to convert. They don't care that those groups exist. The only thing they care about is that they keep attacking Israel. So it's not about destroying Hamas or destroying Hesbelah or destroying the Houthis. It is about destroying their ability to attack Israel. And I'm talking to this person and they have children, they have multiple children. They have some that are in their teens, they have some that are very very little. And this person said, look, when I got into the IDF, when I was eighteen years old and I signed up, and here I am, we would have these wars, right, We called them wars. We called them wars because we were attacked and we were forced to use a lot of force against the people attacking us, whether it was Syria, whether it was Lebanon, whether it was Hamas, those were our wars, but they were wars of containment, right they were just Israel saying we're not going to let you attack us anymore, and if you attack us, there will be a price to pay. But up until this point, up until this attack, they had always sort of managed to wrangle Hezbola back into Lebanon or or tamp down Hamas enough to where Israelis could go about their day and Israelis could live knowing knowing that at any minute they could be attacked, but it would have just been another five or six days, and then Israel would take care and they would push them back. And he said, now it's not good enough. And the people that he is fighting with now, they are fighting so their children don't have to fight, because they have been fighting for twenty something years and they don't want their children to have to have those same fights. And the only way to do that is by forcing or a regime change in Iran. And by the way, the person that I was talking to never said those words, never once said we have to have regime change in Iran. But during the course of the conversation, the notion that Iran can continue to exist as it does now, and Israel will have any sense of safety or security. Those two things cannot exist at the same time. And so Iran they're ready to go. And when I asked this person, I said, well, are you going to be sent into Lebanon? He said, not so far, but I sure hope. So he said, look, I don't want to be in this, but I want to end it. Every member of the service is tired of these wars of containment, of these wars of We're going to push you back and you're going to be intimidated, and then you're going to stop for a little while until Iran re arms you and gives you more rockets and you build more tunnels, and then we're going to do all this again, over and over and over again. Infinity, That is not the attitude of the people in Israel anymore. They're done. He actually told me a really funny story that was very illuminating when it came to understanding the Israeli mindset versus the American mindset. Like we're all horrified right now about all the anti Semitism that has risen up. There were people in Cherry Creek yesterday, people in Cherry Creek that were walking around blocking traffic in Cherry Creek, which I'm sure convinced everyone in Cherry Creek to come to their position when they were making traffic worse on shopping Sunday. But he said there was a person of a relative of theirs from the United States that had come to visit, and they walked into a shop in Israel and the shop owner, a Jew, was playing Kanye West. And this visitor from America, said, how can you play Kanye West? He's so anti Semitic And the shop owner said, it's a bumping song. Like, what do you want me to do? He said, if we stopped playing the music and enjoying the artwork of everybody who hated Jews, there would be no music. Their view of anti Semitism in Israel is not, oh my god, look at this horror.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: Of course, people hate the Jews. Of course, people want us to die. Of course they wish us death. Of course they do. What else is new? It doesn't even phase them. They're so used to it. They live under a cloud every single day of someone coming to kill them, and they're kind of done with it right now. And I asked him I said, well, what about the citizens of Israel. He said, let me tell you something. In the last few days, they've had street attacks in Israel. And I talked about this a little bit last week, where people are like getting off of a bus and opening fire, or a young Israeli female soldier was stabbed to death on the street. The first a street attack, many people were killed. The second and third street attacks, as soon as the attacker starts to attack, multiple people jump in and kill the attacker. So they're literally doing hand to hand combat on the streets in Israel. And can you imagine if we were here in the United States and street attacks started happening in Denver or even worse, in downtown Lyttleton in Old Town Arvada. How about downtown Castle Rock where people are just randomly being attacked on the streets. It would be the biggest story in the world. And yet in Israel, you know what they do. They're like, well, I gotta be packing, I can't walk around without protection. I gotta have my eyes on a swivel, and if I see anybody attacking anybody else, I'm taking them out. It's amazing the mental fortitude that the people of Israel are displaying right now on the anniversary of these attacks. They're done, They're finished. They're so over Iran right now, they're absolutely ready to take it to the mat. And I said, you know, the anti Semitism thing came up because I said, well, look, do you feel this way because you're not getting any security or you're not getting a sense of security from the world, Like you're getting this pushback from the world. And he started laughing when he talked about Macron from France holding back weapons. He's like, seriously, like Macron has ever ever fought in anything? They just laugh at it. What they don't laugh at is American support, because American support is what's giving them the rockets to arm the Iron Dome. The American support is what's giving them the money to do the intelligence that they're doing. That led to the pager thing. By the way, he would not talk about the pager thing. It's like, do you know anything about the pager thing? Because I find that fascinating. He's like, I don't know anything about the pager thing. And I kind of felt like he did know something about the Pajer thing, but he didn't tell me anything about the pager thing, so it was. It was a very interesting conversation. And today on the blog I have, by the way, on the anniversary, today Hamas shot rockets into Tel Aviv. Hamas is on its last legs. They have almost nothing left. So today they shot rockets into Tel Aviv, and Israel immediately put planes in the sky and bomb the ever living crap out of where the rockets came from. It's like, oh, oh, I'm sorry, did we miss that one? Did we miss you? We'll be back in a second. They just don't care. They don't care what the world thinks. They don't care about the world's opinion, they don't care about these piss ant students on college campuses. They don't care about any of it. They are fighting this to win it. And the headline of the blog on one of the stories is this quote which appeared on social media. Israel is fighting to save Western civilization before Western civilization can stop it, because the reality of what's happening in Israel right now is that Israel is the last stop before the garbage and the Islamic supremacy crap leaks out of the Middle East and starts taking over the world. That is the endgame of the Iranian mullus to create an Islamic caliphate throughout the Middle East so they can then use the Middle East to spread it to the world. That is what the Iranians want. And for Americans who don't understand that, I had a very respectful back and forth with an emailer last week who said, what why are we funding Israel? And I said, do you really think they just chant death to America alone or death to Israel alone? We are the same. We represent Western culture, We represent free will, which apparently these Islamis don't believe in. We represent forward thinking in terms of rights for people who may want to live in a way that we disagree with. Our tradition of religious freedom is completely unknown in the modern day Middle East. Israel is the only place that really allows other faiths, and after the creation of Israel, most of the Middle Eastern nations shoved out every other faith that was not Islam. Who used to divide in Lebanon. Lebanon used to be over fifty percent Christian over fifty percent And what are they now? They're a hellhole where the entire south of the country is being run by Hesblo, which, by the way, the people in the north of Lebanon. They really hate Hesbla. I really hate Hesbela. So the other portion of the Lebanon thing that I asked about was specific, to be clear, from this man's perspective as a member of the IDEA for a very long time. He said, Israel has no desire to in any way, shape or form capture any of Lebanon. They don't want any of it except a buffer zone at the southern port of Lebanon where they can rest assured that they're not going to have people sneaking across the border. They're not gonna have people firing rockets to them. They're not gonna have all of the stupidity that they have dealt with from Lebanon for the last year since October seventh. They started firing rockets October seventh in support of AMAS. So they just want to They just want to be left alone. But unfortunately, in order to be left alone, I think they're going to have to take out a Ron and I think it's going to happen very something is going to happen in the next two days, based on the conversation that I had with him yesterday, And I want to say a huge thank you to all of you keep asking about my nephew. I only talk to him via text message maybe once a month because he's doing things and fighting battles and everything else. And I really appreciate you guys asking about him and keeping him and his family and your prayers. I still work on him every single time I talk to him. I'm like, you know, your wife and two kids could come here. But the Israeli people, they're not ready to give up on their land. They're not ready to give up on their homeland, on the holiest land that they have, and they're just gonna fight, and they're gonna take the fight wherever it needs to go. And I think that this may turn out to be the biggest strategic error by any minor terrorist organization. And I'm sure that Hamas thought Iran was absolutely going to have their backs. Well we see what's happened to Moss. Do you think that they've had their backs? Because no, no, indeedy they have not. And I love it, absolutely love it. Mandy. What do you think of the coach of the New York Jets wearing a Lebanese flag on his sleeve during their game in London? On Sunday. I did not know about that. I don't know if he has Lebanese family. I have friends who have Lebanese family in Lebanon. They all hate Hesbelah, but they're worried about having their lives destroyed because of Hesbela. So there you go, There you go, Mandy. I get this question all the time. How do you know the Islamis aren't in the right? Are they serious when they ask it? When we get back, I've got a completely different guest coming up, I believe. Wait a minute, let me check my calendar. No, I don't. I'll tell you why the Islamis are wrong and why Western culture is inherently superior. I'm going there when we get back. That said, the question I get all the time is how do you know the Islamis aren't in the right and they are serious when they ask it? Now, I want to start off this conversation by saying that there are a lot of Muslims who have found a way to follow their faith and still be compatible with the United States of America and Western culture. They can separate their faith from our system of government, from our system of economy, but Islamist can't Islamis want an Islamic caliphate. They want anyone who is not Islamic to either have to pay a tax or to submit to convert or be killed. I mean, that's just the Islamist way of thinking. But this is the same group of people. And I'll use the Taliban as a perfect example of Islamis. Remember when our president decided to precipitously pull everything and everyone out of Afghanistan. The Taliban took over and took all the military hardware that we left there while promising to be a softer, gentler side of Islam. Now, I'm just gonna say this. Our culture allows women to do pretty much everything that a man can do, other than walk into a men's room, which I'm sure they could now because if they just told people they were identifying as a man. Although I don't know why you'd want to walk into a men's room when you could walk into a lady's room because it's so much nicer and cleaner. Guys, it is. It's true, it really is. But Islamus believed that women, because men are unable to control themselves, need to cover themselves head to toe with essentially a burlap sack. So men would not be tempted by women as they walked by on the streets if God forbid, they had on a pair of pants or just a long skirt, or their hair was showing, or their face was showing. The Taliban just passed rules that says women cannot speak in public because their voices could be like the voice of a siren and could lead men astray. So already the Islamists have admitted that in their version of the world, men are completely incapable of taking care of their own inappropriate urges. They are animals who can't control any aspect of how they react to women wherever they are. Certain Islamist cultures ban music, they ban joy, they ban laughter. There is no concept of free will. You must submit or you know, be killed. You don't get to choose. That enough right there, That alone, to me says Western culture is superior to what the Islamists want. I want everyone to be able to go to school, including women. I want women to be able to drive. I want women to be able to what is the word I'm looking for, live a normal life. And for those reasons alone, the Islamists are wrong. Now, if you look at what happened on October seventh, those we Rislamis who had dehumanized Jews so much. And I have I have a story on the blog today and I put a warning on it. I'm just letting you know. It is really, really hard to read. It is very very hard to read. And it is memories of survivors, not the people who were attacked necessarily, but the people who were involved in October seventh reaction and the aftermath and the young women that they were trying to identify. The young women that were attacked at the Nova Music Festival were so viciously raped and then they would be shot through the heart to kill them, but then they would be shot multiple times in the face to make sure that they were disfigured, so it made it difficult for them to be identified by their parents. There was a young woman that came in who still had a knife sticking out of her mouth. There were people that had been beheaded, there were people that were missing body parts, there were people that had obviously been brutally brutally raped. And if that's part of being an Islamist, our culture is better because at least we have the decency to condemn that, whereas in their culture. They live streamed it so everyone could watch what they were doing. Even the Germans had the decency to be ashamed of what was happening at their concentration camps. Hamas isn't ashamed. They're proud of it. They replay that video and people stand in the streets and cheer, And in that respect, Western civilization is superior. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any way that Islamist culture is better than Western culture. And again, Islamists are the wack of noodles who want to inflict their brand of Islam on the rest of the world. We're not talking about Muslims, because there are a lot of Muslims. You are perfectly fine living in the United States. They cast their ballots in the elections, they wait to find out if they're candidate won as they take their daughters and their children to school where they can wear a scarf over their head if they want to. But if they don't want to, they don't have to. But if they want to, they can because we live in a country that believes in freedom of religion. So in that respect, Western culture is superior. Islamis believe that if your family member quote dishonors the family by having the nerve to be I don't know, gay, or by being seen in a car with a member of the opposite sex that they were not married to. Then an honor killing is okay, still happens all the time all over Islamis cultures. In that respect, Western culture is superior. I mean, man, you guys, I don't know, and I'm sure the Islamis will tell well, I'm a woman would never have this job if Islamis were in charge. I would be at home, right, you know, That's where I would be wrapped in a potato sack so no one could see me because I'm so attractive that just my mere presence throws men into a tizzy. Andandy, you should never encourage more women drivers from this text. Haha, smarty pants. Oh another one here, thank you, Texter. Don't forget about female circumcision. Female circumcision is where a woman's clitteress is removed from her body so she can never feel sexual joy of any kind. That is the sole purpose a female circumcision, to make sure that they can never have sexual satisfaction. That's the only reason they do it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they did put a baby in the oven. To be clear, text, This text says they were putting babies in ovens. Remember right after October seventh, when the story of the Baby in the Oven came out, it became a big fact check for the Western media to say they didn't put babies in the oven. It was just one Oh my bad, sorry, sorry, yep, Mandy. To not promote further hatred of any religious group, please be sure to qualify your description to include radical or extremist. All religions have bad actors, like the Christians, KKK, radical Muslims, etc. That's why I said we're talking about Islamis. We're not talking about Muslims who have managed to find a way to live with Western civilization perfectly, happily, where they get to go to the mosque, they get to live their life the way they want to, but they don't try to inflict it on everyone else. I've been very clear about that this entire conversation. I am talking about the people in the Middle East who try to murder everyone who disagrees with them, who think it's okay to throw gay people off of roofs because they've dishonored their family. Those are the people I'm talking about, and I would hope that the Muslims that I also talked about as being here and getting to live in our free society and go to the mosque and practice their faith and participate in elections and be Americans. I certainly hope they would share my disgust and disdain for the Islamists that continue to stain their religion on a regular basis. So the notion that somehow the Presbyterians right now are as bad as the Islamists, or even comparable in any way, shape or form, is absurd. Christianity has had its moments in the sun, and by that I mean not the attractive moments in the sun, but the bad, bad choices made by some Christians in the name of God. But nothing comes close to what's happening now in the Middle East with islamis So yeah, this person funny how the leftists who are so afraid of losing their right to abortion protests for a culture that blames the woman for rape will not let women work and push his homosexuals off rooftops. Yep, yep, yep, We'll be right back. The head coach of the New York Jets has been wearing a Lebanese flag on his uniform this entire year. Because the NFL changed the ruling on wearing flags in a uniform. They're allowing players to wear an additional flag on top of the American will not like literally on top, but in addition to the American flag on one element. The same policy applies to coaches. He is the child the coach of the Jets is the child of Lebanese immigrants. He has worn the Lebanese flag this entire time because apparently he's been part of this movement in Michigan specifically to try and bring Arab young men into the game of football. So he is like an ambassador to the Arab American community, many of us who are from Lebanon in Michigan, to try and bring these kids into football. So he started wearing the flag both to honor his parents who are immigrants. He's a first generation American, but he's been wearing it this entire football season. So I'm not the least bit bothered by any of that. And if you see something and you feel a little reactionary, like I get it, but take a minute to use the Google. Right, take a minute to use the Google and just do a little digging into your into your stuff, whatever you see, because now it's not the time to go around spreading stuff that's not very accurate anyway. How about those dang Muslims raping, stealing and just taking over some European towns. The super government, dumbass liberals made that happen. There are a lot of nations in Europe that allowed mass migration, not the least of which is Sweden. Sweden went from being a completely homogeneous society with honestly the most beautiful population in the world. Okay, like you want to see beautiful people, go to Sweden, go to Amsterdam, go to Iceland. There are some beautiful people, and they allow a bunch of Middle Eastern young men, not Middle Eastern women, middle Eastern young men to move into Sweden, and there have been major problems with assimilation, so much so that a right leaning government just took over with the promise of we're done doing this, We're not doing this anymore.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 3: Culturally, there are a lot of issues. I'd say the treatment of women is right at the top. We're seeing some of that happen with some of the immigrants from South America, where culturally it is a different culture. They bring their culture with their hopes and dreams, and that's something a lot of people don't realize. Now. I'm not saying that every person coming up from South America or Central America culturally believe that women are ready to be taken sexually. That's not what I'm saying. But we have to recognize when you bring someone from a culture that is wildly different than yours, you have to expect them to bring those expectations and cultural beliefs with them. Mandy, what will happen in the states that were hit by the hurricane in the voting block, especially as it affects Trump. I got to tell you, guys, I would think that in North Carolina, the Secretary of State is working very diligently to figure that out now, and I have to hope and expect that they will have something set up, even if it is just temporary voting spaces. I mean, they've got to do something. They cannot allow the people who have been damaged by this hurricane to be disenfranchised by this hurricane. And now, even who talked about Hurricane Milton that is barreling towards Sarasota, Florida, I have a very good friend who moved to Sarasota last year, and I literally I am a text thread with her from this morning that is like fifty text messages long, where I relentlessly tried to scare the hell out of her to leave. And when she said, oh, my husband says, it's only supposed to be a category three when it lands, I started sending her photograph after photograph of what only a category three looks like. So now you're going to have another swath of Florida that is going to be knocked out. Sarasota, clear Water, all of those areas, they are going to be severely damaged. And the problem with those specific areas that's where all the transplants live. Like nobody that lives in Sarasota is from Sarasota. So I just have this vision. It's a lot of retirees, and I'm like, look, it's a lot of these old men. They're like, we could handle it because they don't have any sense of adventure in their life anymore. And somehow they think this is going to be like a fun camping trip. It's not. It's awful. And so that is going to have to be worked out. I don't know what what you know situation we're going to be looking at, but I do know that those states have Secretary of States that are very invested in making sure that those people can vote. Mandy just heard from a Florida friend now singing the news. Milton is a Cat five. It was raised to a four to a five within the last hour or two. It is supposed to weaken back down to a category three before it hits Florida because it's coming up into slightly cooler waters against Tampa Bay. So we shall see, we shall see. Does it bother you at all that you are directly involved in scapegoating and dehumanizing people. If I dehumanize the Islamist who wish that, I would shut my mouth and wear a you know, a bag over my head, I'm fine with that. If they want to behave as human beings, then we can have a conversation. But until that point I have no interest. So yeah, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Andy conn on Ka ninetem.
Speaker 3: Got through this, got it, and the nicey guts through the phrase Mandy Connall keeping ignore sad thing. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. If you'd like to hear my thoughts on the first anniversary of the October seven of the text, please go back and listen to the podcast when it's available and share it with your friends if you want to hear about it. I got it all out of the way so I wouldn't spend the whole day aggravated. And then I have my friend and Michelle Zelner, our fitness and health guru. She has been a personal trainer, a lifestyle coach, so much of just helping people be their happiest, healthiest humans. And last week she was listening when A Rod and I. I asked a Rod if he worked out with weights, and he was like, nope, I do my cardio and I love it, and he does you as cardio and he does love it. And I was like, no, bro, you got to start lifting weights. Because one of the things that I've realized at fifty five, that twenty five year old me who would go to gold shym and work out because I had to, right, I hated every single minute of it, is how important muscle mass is as you get older. And I'm gonna throw my mom under the bus for just a second. And I love my mom, but my mom has never been what's called an athlete in any way, shape or form. And she's now eighty years old and she had a problem with her hip, and she had to use a walker as they were sorting out what's going on with her hip. Just using the walker, she sprained her left arm just using the walker, and I'm like, Mom, the walker weighs like a pound, and it was too much for her because she has no muscle mass whatsoever. So I start looking around. By eighty those people have lost half their muscle mass, men and women because they're not weight training. And Michelle, by the way, when I was talking to a Rod, is lighting up my phone like, oh my.
Speaker 8: God, I gotta get on.
Speaker 3: I gotta get a lot to talk about this. So here she is to talk about it.
Speaker 8: Hello, my friend, Well hello Mandy.
Speaker 7: And I'm so sad that Aerod's not here, but I know he's going to listen to the podcast because it is my mission to convince him and everybody strength training is literally required for everybody. And you know, a Rod's in that YbI right, young, beautiful and in people.
Speaker 8: I don't look at me. I don't need to do anything.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing is we don't appreciate what. Yes, if you want to be healthy, happy and high functioning independent, it's like a car, you have to do preventive maintenance on it.
Speaker 8: And I see strength training a lot like that.
Speaker 7: Right. If you want to be functional later on, well you got to do what you need to do to be able to be.
Speaker 8: Functional later on.
Speaker 7: I'm surprised that that statistic that by eighty we've only lost half our muscle, and.
Speaker 3: They do say some people, and I think it's probably most people. Realistically, I think most people have lost And I'll never forget my now long decease gram. When I went to help her up, she was eighty two years old, and it was like helping up a bag of bones and goo. There was no muscle mass whatsoever. And the reason I was helping her up is she could no longer get out of a chair without assistance. And you know, I have these things, and one of the things that I'm very proud of myself, I don't have to learn by doing the same mistakes that my parents and grandparents did. I look at them and go, what I'm not doing that. I'm not going to put myself in a position where I can no longer get out of a chair on assisted. That's not how I'm going to live my life. And it's one of the reasons that I started exercising, one of the reasons that I wait train now, and one of the reasons that we're talking about this today because I think that for women. Let's talk about women for a second. Women and have my age and older this concept that I don't want to get big, like they're gonna go lift a five pound weight, They're gonna look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Let's talk about the reality of what that does and doesn't look like.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, there is zero percent chance. And I get that all the time. I just want a tone. I don't want to build muscle, and let's talk about what it is.
Speaker 8: Tone.
Speaker 7: Tone is muscle that you can see because there's no body fat covering it. Right, you do want muscle, you need muscle.
Speaker 8: I have to I I.
Speaker 7: Did a lot of things early on in my life that weren't great for me. Right, I have to say, I'm really grateful that fitness and string training specifically was introduced to me at a very young age through gymnastics.
Speaker 8: I did it all through college and then when I decided.
Speaker 7: To get into the industry, that's when I actually really got serious about string training. And I need to give a huge shout out to Kathy Green, who owned the JIM that I worked at, because I was a cardio queen.
Speaker 8: Right, cardio got your cart.
Speaker 3: But this was the eighties and nineties, right, It was the eighties and nineties when everybody you walk into a gym and there would be a tiny little weight area and there would be seventy thousand stairsteppers and treadmills and ellipticals and all of this cardio and then the just the muscleheads went over to the corner with the weight.
Speaker 7: Well, Kathy owned this gym, and Kathy was a trailblazer. And this this is back in nineteen ninety six seven. She was lifting weight. She was a personal trans to Michelle, you really need to do this more seriously. I dabbled, right, but it was I got to do cardio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, when I decided to take her up on this idea, I never looked back because your muscle is magical for so many reasons.
Speaker 8: Obviously the strength to.
Speaker 3: Just do life right.
Speaker 7: When I see people struggling with something, my heart is like, ugh, if you only were strengthening your muscles, your life would be so much easier.
Speaker 3: Let me talk about that. For some of our older audience members, My personal trainer loves senior fitness. It's one of her passions. She has taught senior fitness for a very long time, and her thing is by doing this motion when you're we've got a small weight in your hand and you're lifting it over your head, you're able to put your groceries away. And she attaches all of these things to real life, like these are why we're doing it. Do you want to live independently? Do you want to be able to take care and stay in your home? Do you want to be able to get up off the ground if you fall? Right? Isn't that the fear that someone older is going to fall and you're not going to know it, they're going to be on the ground. That happens more often than we care to think about, because people simply don't have the physical strength to get up. Okay, so this is why it's important. But is it ever too late to start, And that's my nextever too late to start.
Speaker 7: The longer you wait, the harder you need to work to just maintain and slow down the rate to decline. The thing is, we are losing muscle mass at a rate of anywhere from one to ten percent year, and you are losing it if you don't use it. So if you don't do anything to actively work and build your muscles, and yes, a rod climbing on your incline, great, awesome for your quads.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's pretty much the only muscle you're working.
Speaker 7: There a whole bunch of muscles and the rest of our lower lower body, our upper body, they all need to be worked because you can't get through life just with strong quads. You're also going to create imbalances that could lead to some other issues free issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So let me ask this because this is a big question, and I've been seeing a lot of stuff lately like calisthenics are kind of having a comeback where you're essentially using body weight and you're doing exercises that you don't even need weights for. What are your thoughts on calistenics versus weight training and if it is if we do need weight training specifically, what are we looking at in terms of how much weight do we need to lift?
Speaker 7: So it really depends on the overall goal. Am I trying to slow down the rate of decline? Am I trying to maintain? Or am I trying to build? So calisthenics can help you slow.
Speaker 8: Down the rate of decline? Okay for sure.
Speaker 3: Now, well, our friend Hazel, she still does push up. She's ninety three years old. She does push up, she does crunches, she does squats, she does all of but as far as I know, she OSes no weight. But she has just she's in great shape.
Speaker 7: Well, And that goes to the overload principle. So it depends on how many are you doing right to what point fatigue or failure. So if you do calisthenics, let's say you're gonna do body weight squats.
Speaker 8: If you keep doing.
Speaker 7: Those squats until you literally can't do one more squat, right, then you're gonna maintain and probably build. Most people don't do squats until they literally can't do one more.
Speaker 3: Squat, right.
Speaker 7: So when it comes to how heavy or how often, it's really about the overload principle, and that is to the point of fatigu or failure. Can I do one more with good form? If you can, you kind of need to right right now. If you choose not to, then you have slowed down the rate of line because you've used your muscles, but you didn't use them to the degree that's that's going to build.
Speaker 8: You may have used.
Speaker 7: It to degree where we're going to maintain, right, So it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Speaker 8: And then you know what.
Speaker 7: Exercises, weights, resistance fans, you know, body weight, exercise, whatever. Again, that really just I don't ever want to tell somebody you need to do it this way because if they can't or won't do it that way, then they'll do nothing right right. They always like to look at what are you willing and able to do right? What is realistic for you? And I tell I just had this conversation with dear friend yesterday. You know when she used to work out, she used to train with me, and I said, look, do push ups and squats in your house right because she's like, oh, I could join this gym and I could get this equipment. I'm like, get some fifteen pound dumbells, hold them, do squats, do bicy curls, do push ups, do that three times a week. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where you are.
Speaker 3: Today, right right, And I think that's the all or nothing thinking about this kind of stuff is Okay, I have to join a gym, I have to go in there, have to lift heavy weights, and that's just not necessarily accurate. It's more about just consistency.
Speaker 8: Consistency is so critical.
Speaker 7: We start to decondition within seventy two hours after you've stopped using that muscle.
Speaker 3: Really, so it takes that well, I can. I can tell you that just from going on vacation, right, I mean when you go in if and now I've started working out on vacation just because I don't want to have the drop off when I get back, But even ten days off, you can feel the difference.
Speaker 7: So when I am out of my normal structure, my workouts are to prevent the rate of decline.
Speaker 8: Right, That's how I manage.
Speaker 7: When I'm not in my normal routine here at home, I'm traveling, or people are in town or whatever, the schedule is really really full. Okay, Well, I'm going to do as much as I can to prevent decline.
Speaker 8: That's my goal. At that time when.
Speaker 7: I'm kind of in a more regular schedule, I'm going to do everything I can to either maintain or build depending on where I happen to be in my own health at the point, right, And so that consistency is so critical. And I've I worked with so many people like, yeah, I used to strength train, I really liked it, and then just stopped. Well that's the thing is once you stop it, I mean at some point, it's almost like you're.
Speaker 3: Back to zero.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not totally right.
Speaker 3: This is what I tell people all the time. What's been amazing for me is how quickly you can build strength. It's not like you're going to be lifting five pound weights for the next six weeks. You do five pound weights for a couple of weeks, then you're like, you know what, I can go up to those eight pound weights this time, and you can go up incrementally like that so fast.
Speaker 7: Yes, And you have to writ if you are doing the same thing forever again, you're probably just slowing down the rate of decline. Which great, that's totally fine, right, if that's your goal and that's all you want to put into it, all you're willing or able to put into it.
Speaker 8: That's great.
Speaker 7: If you want to maintain where you are today, or you want to get better from where you are today for next week, next year, ten years, thirty years from now, then that's a little more effort, that's a little more time, it's probably more weight, it's different exercises, but consistency is always part of the mix.
Speaker 3: I want to give some of the stats. I actually retweeted this this thread from a doctor named doctor Patty Barrett, and I did look up because I was like, Patty Barrett is not a real doctor's name, but it is. And one of the things he put on here, Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. High levels of muscle mass achieved by regular resistance training are associated with lower coronary artery calcification scores, which is a marker of plaque and an indicator of increased risks. So that is about your heart health well.
Speaker 7: And so here's the thing. This is what is so critical. Muscle is metabolically active, right, Muscle is utilizing your fuel. I eat glucose every single second of your life. That kind of sits around and doesn't do anything. You know, my food issues early on in my life yes, I hesitate to think what my health would have been if.
Speaker 8: I didn't have muscle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because that muscle was burning up all the sugar I was eating, not all of it, but a lot of it. And if I you know, I'm all about, oh, burn it off through cardio, right. No, it's the muscle that saved me.
Speaker 8: I know that.
Speaker 7: And as I took strength training more seriously and built muscle mass and really have worked hard to maintain and continue to build that, I know that's the reason that my weight has been able to be stable. Well, well, I'm going to be fifty two next month, So I know it's because of muscle because I've had it and I've never lost it, and I've only continued to choose to build it over the course of time. So this is why I'm so passionate about it. And everybody, man, woman, I don't care how old you are, I don't care what your goals are. Skeletal muscle is the thing that's going to allow you to stay high functioning.
Speaker 3: And that's what I want to impart. And it's easier to put yourself into a situation where you're not playing ketchup by just making weight training a regular part of your life. And I want to give a few more stats here. Training is associated with a range of benefits. A fifteen percent decrease in all cause mortality, a car nineteen percent decrease in cardiovascular death, fourteen percent decrease in cancer deaths, and with greater than sixty minutes per week, all cause mortality drops by twenty seven percent. That's just from lifting weights.
Speaker 8: Well, and let's talk about it.
Speaker 7: As you get older and we're unstable, right, Muscle around your joints keeps your joints stable, yep, And you want to not fall down, well, then let's have some stability.
Speaker 3: And core strength is incredibly important for balance going forward. It is like the key the whole. Your core is the key of everything when you get older.
Speaker 7: Well, in bone density, I mean I talk to a lot of people and there are a lot of very small framed males and females, and they are at very high risk for osteoporosis. We don't think about osteoporosis when we're thirty, but we should. Yeah, because by the age of twenty eight, you have achieved peak bone massy. After that, your rate of withdrawal out of your bone bank is much more aggressive than your rate of deposit. And so you know, strength training is one of the best ways to help continue to build the bone bank because of the constant contraction of the two muscles around the bone helping to stimulate that bone growth.
Speaker 3: So for me, you know, like I always hated to work out, it's only been within you know, the last like maybe five six years, I found a trainer I absolutely love and have made it a habit. And now I'm one of those people that's like, hi, I didn't get to do any exercise today because ultimately it helps me sleep better, it helps with my mood. I call it the anti murder drug. Like you know, if you're a high stress individual, there is nothing more satisfying than working your body to the point of failure when you are super stressed. It almost seems counterintuitive, but I think that we all hold this stress in our body all the time, and lifting heavy things is the easiest way to just take that physical part of stress away. So let me ask you this. If somebodys are a listing audience right now and they don't have any weights, they don't want to join a gym, what is the best way, like baby steps to do this.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm always going to be concerned about proper form and alignment. So if you really don't know what you're doing, I am going to encourage you to invest some time and money to work with a professional who can at least evaluate your biomechanics, evaluate your form. The worst thing to do is to get hurt. The second worst thing to do is to waste your time. Right, And so you know, if you really have never gone down this road before, then why not just make sure you're going to do it right? And there's plenty of people you can find who can even do these things. Virtually, you can find a gym and just do a couple of these things if you have a decent sense of body awareness. There's plenty things online, right, lots of apps, lots of things on YouTube. But keep it simple, you know, figure out what are you willing and able to devote, how much time and what kind of equipment. Right, maybe we're gonna start with body weight. We're gonna do push ups, We're gonna do body weight squats. Awesome, your leaps and bounds ahead of what you were doing yesterday.
Speaker 3: And let me just say this, when I first started working out with my trainer like six seven years ago. Now I can only do three pushups, and now I don't even know how many push ups I do want a workout. It's that many that I'm not counting. So don't be discouraged if you can't do a push up or you have trouble doing a crunch, or you have trouble doing these things, because, like I said, the strength that you build so fast is so shocking. It's so and then when you feel strong like that is the very best way to feel.
Speaker 7: And it's really hard to help somebody wrap their head around what that feels like when you've never felt it right right, you get used to just feeling the way you feel and you're like, oh, that can't be that big of a deal, and then you feel you're like, WHOA, I never not want to feel this way.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which is why I now work on work out on and make because that Monday, getting back from vacation, it's like, well here, I feel like a giant tabagou because all I did was eat everything for the last ten days, and I'm going to come back and exercise. Michelle, how can people get in touch with you if they would? I mean, I don't know if you still are, if you're still doing that or you just doing the corporate stuff. What are you doing?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 7: I do a little bit of one on one guidance coaching. I don't do any personal training anymore, but I can certainly help somebody sort things out, and they could just go to my website Better Being staton Net.
Speaker 8: Contact me. It's very easy to find me.
Speaker 3: This is just one of those things that seems really really intimidating until you know how to do it, and then you're like wow. Part of me is feeling kind of stupid thinking that this is.
Speaker 7: You know, it's normal to feel intimidated about something you have no idea. R. Yeah, I grew up in a gym, so it's like no big deal. But I get it when someone that's a foreign world to them and they think everybody's looking at them and they don't know what they're doing and they're self conscious, and you know what, we just.
Speaker 8: Got to get over that fear.
Speaker 3: No one's looking at it exactly. And if they are looking at you, they're thinking about themselves as they're looking at you. They're they're not.
Speaker 7: Looking at you, or they're looking at you and they're thinking, good job you. Yeah, so happy that you're here in this gym doing that.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about gyms for just a second, because gyms are not a one is right for everybody kind of situation. You should go in and look around, like the time of day you want to go work out, like say, okay, I'm gonna go at seven am. Go to that gym at seven am. Look who else is there. For a long time, I worked out at a rec center in Douglas County and when I went to the gym, I was the only person under seventy years old that was there. But I loved it because everybody's like, young lady, are you dead?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and take that. I'm finished, Sarah. Thank you. Figure out where you want to be. And if you make an appointment with a trainer and you don't like them, make it a point with a different trainer. It's like anything else, it's not one size fits all, no.
Speaker 7: And I think that's you know, part of like oh everybody wants like this cookie cutter, just do this now.
Speaker 8: We got to get over the idea that that exists and just.
Speaker 7: Recognize you unique individual, You have unique individual needs. Take the time to invest in yourself so that your future self can live that life.
Speaker 3: And this is an investment that will pay off over and over and over and over again as you continue to age and be strong and be healthy and be able to get up out of a chair and be able to get up off the floor if you fall, and you not fall in the first place.
Speaker 7: Well, and I know, especially the YDI, they think, well, that will.
Speaker 8: Never be me. I'll never have a pass manning off the foot right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sneaks up on you a lot faster than you think it does.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing is, it doesn't have to be you, but you need to do things to make sure that it isn't you.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. Michelle Zelner a joy as always. I put a link? Did I put a link? Did I forget today? I always put a link? Hang on if I didn't put a link, I will add a link to Michelle's website, Betterbeings dot Net. I actually just got a friend of mine to buy her book, The U Revolution, because I think that if you are at a point where you want to change your healthy life, the U Revolution book that she has is phenomenal and it doesn't give you the just eat this for three days and you'll lose fifty. But it's very realistic, but it will help you cut through the crap and create new habits for yourself. I will add that link right now.
Speaker 8: Thank you man.
Speaker 3: All right, good to see Michelle Zelener. We'll be right back. I'm going to get Michelle back soon and we're going to have just a Q and A with just listeners on how to start weight training. A lot of you are like, Okay, how do I get started? I will say this. For me, it was joining a gym. And I went into my gym that I joined, and I went to a rec center so it was very family friendly. And I went to the calendar and I said, I need a trainer who's female, over fifty and who will listen to me when I say something hurts. And they hooked me up with my trainer and she's incredible and I love her. And she's over fifty and she listens when I say something hurts. Because you really can't hurt yourself weight training. You really can, so don't just go throw yourself into it. A lot of you sending things like this. Mandy, my one hundred year old mom has been going to weightlifting class for twenty years. She only lifts a pound at this stage, but she's still going. That is who I want to be. I want to be the one hundred year old woman in the weightlifting class. Some of you very specific questions whether you are doing jobs that are very active and intense, but maybe you realize you're only working with certain muscle groups. I would recommend that you reach out to Michelle directly. I put her website on the blog today at Betterbeings dot net and just ask her these questions. She's absolutely wonderful and she loves loves helping people live their just best lives period. I do have a bunch of other stuff on the blog today that I want to talk about. Coming up at two o'clock, we've got Aaron Kine, she's the superintendent of Douglas County Schools. For just a few minutes, we're going to talk about their bond issue, what it is, how it's going to work, and things of that nature. Did anybody else see Have you ever listened to the Call Her Daddy podcast?
Speaker 10: Cooper? Have you ever?
Speaker 3: Okay? So, Call Her Daddy is a podcast that started about one young woman talking about her sexual escapades as a single woman. That's how it started, and they regularly talk about extremely sexual topics. It is a very graphically sexual show. It's very funny. The thing is, it's like, it's a very funny podcast, but it is definitely a very specific kind of podcast. And that's the interview that Kamala Harris decided to give. She went on the Call Her Daddy podcast, and she is about to appear on the Howard Stern Show. She is going to be on the view and she's going to be on with Stephen Colbert. And honestly, when I saw this, I was like, and this woman wants me to think she can stare down VLADIMR.
Speaker 10: Putin.
Speaker 3: She can't even sit for an interview on Fox News. An absolute disaster, I mean a disaster. I want to play for you. Let me have my audio coover. This is Kamala Harris at a rally, giving the exact same speech she has given at every rally. When the teleprompter breaks, you're gonna be able to know. Just listen to what happens now. Granted you, guys, she has done this speech dozens of times. Now, if I do something dozens of times verbatim, I will remember it as a matter of fact, when I was an actor in theater school, all I had to do to learn my lines was rock around my apartment saying them out loud, because when you hear the words going into your ears, it makes memorizing them very, very easy. She's done the same speech over and over again. But yet this is what happened. I'member his number thirty two.
Speaker 10: Today.
Speaker 5: We got thirty two days until.
Speaker 3: The election, thirty two and now the tele prompter's out. She's a thirty two days, literally, just thirty two days, like a deer the head. I got some business to do.
Speaker 9: We got some business to do, all right, thirty two, thirty two.
Speaker 3: Days, and we know we will do it. The thirty two days totally lost.
Speaker 9: And this is gonna be a very tight race until the very end.
Speaker 11: This is gonna be a very tight race until the very end.
Speaker 9: We are the underdog, and we know we have some hard work ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I guess it came back on thirty two days. Thirty two days, Mandy. I'm a personal trainer for thirty years. I also a physical therapy degree, and I've worked with previous injuries, chronic pain, and people with disabilities. I emphasized strength training and worked with all ages, especially the older adult population. I love my job. There you go, There you go, Mandy. The Stephen Colbert interview is for the unit vote. Yeah maybe maybe, Emo Phillips. I started weight training, but the first day I threw my back out, so I put down the pamphlet. There you go, and this person this makes me really happy, Mandy. Thank you for having Michelle on regularly. She motivates me to keep going. So there you go. Anyway, also on the blog today, apparently last night on sixty Minutes, Kamala Harris sat down for a long interview with sixty minutes and they asked her about the Israeli Gaza conflict. And this SoundBite makes me not want to watch the rest of the year interview, but I will. I'll watch it so you don't have to. This is what she had to say about the Israeli and Gaza conflict. But it seems that Prime Minister NETANYAHUO is not listening well.
Speaker 9: Built the work that we have done has resulted in a number of movements in that region by Israel that were very much prompted by or a result of many things, including our advocacy for what needs to happen in the region.
Speaker 3: Now, I'll just run that back for you so you can hear that entire answer in its glory just one more time. Well built.
Speaker 9: The work that we have done has resulted in a number of movements in that region by Israel that were very much prompted by or a result of many things, including our advocacy for what needs to happen in the region.
Speaker 3: So is she saying that Israel attacked Moss because we wanted them to? Or what is what? I I don't I don't know what she's talking about. I don't think she knows what she's talking about. I'm gonna wrap up this segment with a fun that Tom Cotton has now taken to going on the Sunday shows and absolutely scorching the people that he's talking to. This is a question about the twenty twenty election. Did Trump win it? Why can't did just say Trump won it? Or Trump didn't win? Listen to this exchange for Meet the Press.
Speaker 12: It has been stated that this was one of the most secure elections in US history. But do you just not want to say that Trump lost?
Speaker 8: Why not just say the same question?
Speaker 3: Biden is president?
Speaker 8: Can you just simply say.
Speaker 6: Trump lost, Joe Biden was elected president in twenty twenty. That's why we have runaway inflation. That's why we have more than ten millionaire legals in this country. And to go back to the point about the twenty twenty election, it was very irregular. You had networks to include this, networks conspire a big tech to suppress evidence of Biden family corruption. You've had democratic states and cities like Pennsylvania, like Philadelphia changing their election practices on the fly. That's one reason why President Trump and the Republican National Committee is so focused on election integrity in this election, to make sure that Democrats aren't doing things like they're trying to do in Pennsylvania, counting absentee and mail in ballots that don't have dates.
Speaker 3: Well, and there's no proof that that happened.
Speaker 12: And again, just to be clear, that is that initially Trump did take his case to court more than sixty times, didn't win those cases. Let me move on and ask you about January sixth, though this new evidence unsealed this week.
Speaker 3: Jack, and that is what passes for Sunday talk shows. Now Rob Dawson is on the scene. Rob, what is going on.
Speaker 13: So right now we've got a protest. I think you could just almost hear me there. We're at the sixteen street milland Lois and they're walking towards the northwest on Lazzi Street. I say, about three hundred protesters here. And it's the similar case that we've seen in the spray. They want to end the USA to Israel, and they want and they believe that the inconvenience that everyone is facing right now is a fraction of what the Palestinians are suffer. So they're okay with this. And the theme that their parade or mark is shut it down, and they keep saying that shut it down, shut it down.
Speaker 3: So if you have a chance, Rob, could you ask them if they believe that they are behaving in the same way, that is that the Palestinians are being inconvenience. Does that mean I can come down there and fire rockets of them?
Speaker 13: I mean, not ask them that, but I did ask. I wanted to ask Pakan this last lesson. I was running out of time, but I did ask something along the line to Paul Nelson. You remember him. He is the student leader of the a Area protest. He is not serially in charge of this one, but he is doing traffic control. They have a team of rock and talking to the STAF in the part that I asked him, I said, is this the best way?
Speaker 5: Is this the best way.
Speaker 13: To call the Paulsenians because they have they would like to know tighter overseas And he said, no, this is the best way. This is the best thing that we could do right to this in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well, Rob, I mean, do you know what the plan is? Do you know where they're marching to? Are they just trying to disrupt as much traffic down down as they can the plan I'm.
Speaker 13: Not familiar with the planned. Every police consistently moves away, so there there there's like a one block radius, uh, assisting the protest.
Speaker 5: He's rich.
Speaker 13: So every time they advance the block, every police pushes back a block to give them a space to part. I don't know where their marching to. It might be the Araria campus for marching in that direction, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: So I'm guessing the Araria campus are they ready for this or they're not going to allow another setup like they did last time. Have you had a chance to ask anybody over there.
Speaker 13: I'm not sure. I'm not sure about that. They did have about they protest their leaders that about eighty to one hundred college students were marching this way at the start, but they came from the area campus. They don't know what their plans are. One thing, I would say, there are plenty of people parked on these streets that there marching to. There was a woman who was conking at the horns, trying to get out of her part space, and then she flipped the finger and kirk at the media that we're taking a picture of him. So I don't know if she supports the cause at all or enough to just not rank now she's just mad. But but she was quite angry about the situation there because you wanted to get out of her spot, just as the protester is coming career.
Speaker 2: You know, do they.
Speaker 3: Really think they're having an impact on anyone's actual feelings about this?
Speaker 13: I mean it's hard to say. I mean, they're convince that they they're convinced that they are because they believe that the inconvenience will get people to notice. But I have the protest, Well, what happens the next day? It's like, oh, well, we'll probably forget that they were in traffic, Like they'll probably forget that they're in traffic probably by next week. But you know, that's just.
Speaker 3: Import so stupid.
Speaker 5: Rob.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're there so I don't have to be. And I guess we should tell people to stay at a downtown.
Speaker 13: For now, the rolling and the rolling closure right now, we just we're at fifty That wazi that we keep marching towards the west.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, Rob, have fun, march your little feet off. We'll get the update when you get done. Okay, all right, that's Rob Dawson with the idiot protesters. When we get back, Douco Superintendent Aaron Kin is stopping by for a few minutes to talk about a bond issue. We're doing that next.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's Mandy connellyn KOA ninety FM s.
Speaker 3: Got Ken ninety's through three.
Speaker 2: Andy Connell keeping is sad thing.
Speaker 3: Welcome, local Welcome. It's the third hour and Rob Dawson is downtown with the protesters. Have found a place to park themselves.
Speaker 13: Rob, where are they Okay? They are at marketing sphere and they have blocked the road. Now this is the heer and market direction. We've got cars starting to haunt and people that they have the safety came like the saying before the burner of this, and they're saying, no, no, no, you gotta stat They got a stack. So they're in the middle of the intersection right now doing their familiar chance.
Speaker 3: So they keep telling them to stop, but they keep not stopping.
Speaker 13: Well, they're telling the cars, yeah, cars, they're honking got it. In my life report, there was one guy that said, hey, I got to go. He's puting to his wrist and supposed it's like sorry chance.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a lot winning hearts and minds at Market and Spear right now.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well was that I'm sorry?
Speaker 3: I said there? They avoid Market and Spear at this air at this time, correct.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, all right? Rob By the way traffic going onto a area parkway right now, so instead of coming south on here, they're being headed off and there's quite a back up here. Remember this, you all to a turn where people uh make a right to go onto the market street. Yeah, so that it's all backed up right now?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Thanks Rob Dawson. You'll keep us posted and our traffic guy will keep you posted as well. I've got Aaron Kane, Douglas County School Superintendent in the studio with me now, and we got to talk about this bond issue, because there's bond issues for a lot of different school districts. And if I thought Denver Public schools would come on the show, I'd invite them too. But I am a doug Co resident who is actually supporting this bond issue, and Aaron is coming on for the next few minutes to talk about a few things.
Speaker 11: What are you for having me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is different about this time than the last time?
Speaker 14: In your view, Well, you know, last time, we were trying to run two initiatives at the same time during an incredibly challenging tax year, and we are so so grateful to our taxpayers that we were able to get last year's five a R mill levy overt across the finish line and it has made a tremendous difference for our teachers. But we do still struggle with our capital needs, and so the bond on this year's ballot is a little bit different than last time, primarily because inflation so much. We just can't afford as much as we could have with last year's bond, and we couldn't afford as much with the previous either, some inflation.
Speaker 3: One thing people need to understand is that Douglas County is growing by leaps and bounds, but it's not necessarily growing in the areas where we already have schools.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's absolutely correct. We call it growth and decline in Douglas County. So eight hundred and fifty square miles two thirds the size of Rhode Island, we have lots and lots of very different communities, and our older communities, such as Highland's Ranch are aging in place, which means people like my family moved here twenty five years ago, kids went through the system and we're still in our houses. So those schools haven't had a lot of enrollment of new young kids because the empty nesters are still in their homes. Whereas we have massive construction underway on both sides of Highland's Ranch and Sterling Ranch which is west of Highland's Ranch west of Santa Fe, and in Bridgegate which is in Lone Tree east of Islands Ranch, as well as in Castle Pines east of I twenty five Crystal Valley.
Speaker 3: Crowfoot Corridor, and I think right now, Parker's nuts everywhere. There's not a place in Douglas County where there is not construction happening. I feel like that's an accurate sty It is.
Speaker 11: An accurate statement.
Speaker 14: And the homes are going up so fast it's absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: So tell me about what you're doing right now with these areas where you have too many students and not enough schools. What's where are these kids going and what is that like?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 14: Well, Sterling Ranch is the most extreme example. We have enough kids in Sterling Ranch, which again is east of Santa Fe. We have enough kids in Sterling Ranch to fill two elementary schools and we only not have single school out there. So we are bussing all those kids, some to Roxboro and some across Santa Fe into the edge of Highlands Ranch, into Coyote Creek or Trailblazer.
Speaker 11: Coyote Creek is completely overwhelmed.
Speaker 14: And certainly, as you look at projections over the next few years, it will be an untenable solution. So we will have to continue to try to reboundary. But you can't reboundary your way out of this right And of course I can't pick up an elementary school from the middle of Highland's Ranch and PLoP it into the middle of Sterling Ranch.
Speaker 3: Are we at a point where we're going to be closing some schools to open new schools? What's I mean? Obviously that's way down the pike, but is that potentially in the future.
Speaker 14: Well, we have to deal with both growth and decline, and actually this bond assumes we're dealing with both, So we do need to build a school in Sterling Ranch. Regardless of whether the bond passes or not, we will need to consolidate a few schools in Highlands Ranch. That absolutely has to happen because our kids are losing out on opportunities. When you are in a system that is all really small schools, which Island's Ranch is it's really hard to get full time art teachers and key teachers, let alone be able to offer things like STEM and foreign language and so thriving schools are schools that have more students and they have thereby there are more opportunities for kids. So it's something we have to look at both. That's why we call it growth and decline.
Speaker 3: How has the bond been structured? What is woman is just asked the question, I want to ask, sure, how do we know the money's going to be spent the way you say it's going to be spent?
Speaker 14: Terrific? Thank you for the question. So we have a website. If you go to the Douglas County School District website DCSDK twelve dot org, there is funding Challenges button on the top, and it lays out the bond planned in detail, so you can see for each one of our ninety two schools exactly what changes are going to be made as part of the bond, because a huge part of it is just capital investment.
Speaker 8: We need new.
Speaker 14: Boilers and chillers and carpet and roofs, and you know all of those things.
Speaker 11: We built most of our schools.
Speaker 14: Between nineteen eighty four and the early two thousands. In fact, in Douglas County, we passed a bond every three to four years from nineteen eighty four all the way to two thousand and six, like clockwork, and those bonds passed during those years were used to build new schools. So about half of our new schools were built during that time period, which means half of our schools arning are turning forty to thirty years old.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and need have significant needs.
Speaker 3: Tell me about the oversight board.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you bet.
Speaker 14: There's a mill bond oversite committee, a citizens committee that anyone is welcome to join, Apply to join.
Speaker 11: It's also on our website.
Speaker 14: They look at monthly, they consider every single expenditure and they're able to map it to our bond plan. Our bond plan is incredibly specific. So you know, if we said we're going to fix a chiller at Chaparral High School or replace it or whatever, they've got the bond plan, they've got the expenditure and they can make that connection.
Speaker 11: And that's true for the entirety of the bond.
Speaker 14: The detailed expenditure, anticipated expenditures are all laid out on our website to make it as transparent as possible for our textpairs.
Speaker 3: This is not a giant slush fund. I love it when somebody's they just want a slush fund. This is already so clearly documented that it would shock me if we could not just say, Okay, we need this money, and it's already been managed in such a way that is so transparent. I have to say, erin, I realize that we have a challenging demographic in Douglas County when it comes to asking for tax increases, because you have a very conservative population who sees the excesses of other school districts and assigns those same excesses to Douglas County. And the way that you guys have gone about this to provide absolute transparency should be the gold standard for every school district. You know, every school district should do it this way, and it would make it so much easier, I think, to make people trust that the money that they're giving is being spent in the right way.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And you know, I'd love to our voters to know that the money that they gave us through the mill ofvey over I had last year five A we promised that we would give nine percent increases.
Speaker 11: To teachers and support staff.
Speaker 14: The ballot initiative passed in November, and in January we did it. We made it happen retroactive to the beginning of the school year, spent exactly as the taxpayers anticipated.
Speaker 8: Are darting.
Speaker 14: Teacher pay went from forty five thousand a year to fifty two thousand a year. So those changes, and then on the school security side, we had six million for school security. We hired campus security specialists at all of our elementary schools.
Speaker 11: They are all in place.
Speaker 14: Parents can see them plain as day when they're outside helping with traffic and doing all those things. And our law enforcement partners increased our school resource officer account also very visible, so that money has been spent exactly as promised, which I think helps, like you said, build that trust in the system. And the last thing I would say to something you said is we do have a master Capital Plan published on our website. Our Master Capital Plan is one hundred plus pages. It goes through all of our ninety two schools in detail with every single capital need that it currently has, along with that it will have in the next five years. So every expenditure that we're making in the bond is also those needs are documented in our Master Capital Plant calls for eight hundred and five million dollars over the next five years, which of course is not what we're.
Speaker 11: Asking for, but we'll put a big den with this bond.
Speaker 3: Can you stick around because I want to talk about something totally unrelated to the bond issue. Aaron brought in some crazy statistic about kids that don't want to jump into you. So if you can stick around for one more segment, that'll be you get all right, We'll be right back. I want to talk about these statistics first, because you brought in statistics today that are shocking.
Speaker 10: Yeah, what is this?
Speaker 3: Where did you get these?
Speaker 14: Well, first of all, they come from our strategic planning process. So in Douglas County School District, we are entering into a strategic planning process because the workforce that our kids are going to enter is going to look nothing like what we've seen. And then I believe that in the next decade we are going to see more change than we saw in the last century, and so our kids need to be ready to lead that change, not just adapt to it, but lead it. So we're entering into this strategic planning process. But the other factor is that our kids have changed. So not only has a workforce changed, our kids have changed. And these are some of the statistics I was sharing with you on the way in.
Speaker 11: How many of us.
Speaker 14: Remember standing in line for a driver's license center day?
Speaker 11: Say, yeah, like I was, I remember.
Speaker 14: I still remember camping out early in the morning so I could be first, you know, at.
Speaker 11: The little DMB on One County line road.
Speaker 5: That was me.
Speaker 11: So in the year two thousand, eighty.
Speaker 14: Seven percent of kids had a driver's license by the time they were seniors.
Speaker 11: Today that that percentage is fifty six percent.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 14: And it gets more shocking into In the year two thousand and seventy eight percent of our high school seniors had part time jobs, and today that is forty three percent. And then finally seventy nine percent. In the year two thousand of high school seniors had been on at least one date, and today that number is forty two percent. So our kids are our kids have fundamentally different skills.
Speaker 11: I mean, imagine all the skills.
Speaker 14: You picked up or I picked up driving a car as a.
Speaker 3: Sixteen year old job when I was fourteen years old.
Speaker 5: Me too.
Speaker 3: I used to drive. I taught gymnastics because I had taken gymnastics before I got really tall, and I rode the gym. Owner came and picked me up from middle school and took me to my job, and then my parents had to pick me up. But I've literally had a job NonStop since I was fourteen years old. Same same.
Speaker 11: I had a job when I was fourteen as well.
Speaker 3: I worked.
Speaker 11: I worked at McDonald's. Everyone should have to work.
Speaker 8: At mcdethink so too.
Speaker 3: I'm in their lives really become the gold standard for teaching kids about urgencies and manner. So, I mean some of this is in high school especially. I think that when I was in high school and I was looking at getting into college, I didn't have to worry about volunteer and doing you know, extracurriculars and all of the things that we now have put on kids as a requirement where I think they get more out of a work experience than anything else.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we've kind of created this our generation gen X. We've created this incredibly structured busy plan plan for our kids where everything is planned and everything is supervised. And because so one of the ways to think about it is we've converted from a play based childhood to more of a screen based childhood. Right, So they're either supervised, are on their phones, right or and when we were young, right.
Speaker 11: We were out just playing and figuring it out.
Speaker 14: And that means that their brains have actually developed significantly differently than our brains developed at the same age.
Speaker 11: And so in our district, we're.
Speaker 14: Thinking about how do we how do we meet these kids where they are and make sure they're ready to lead the future workforce. And how do we work with our families starting at a young age to really encourage things like a play based childhood, a little less structure in that day, a little a little less supervision actually, and more time for kids to interact with each other in person, not on screens, you know, teach them about social media and the dangers of device use at younger in younger ages. So there's so much to engage in our community with so that we can partner with our families to make sure that our kids get a lot of the skills that they are missing out on because of statistics like the ones I just shared with you.
Speaker 3: Aaron Kane, thank you so much for sticking around because I find that incredibly fascinating. And I bet there's a lot of parents out there like my My daughter's fifteen. She has no interest in getting her learners permit, and I finally told her, look, if you want to go places, you better learn how to drive because the taxi service is almost over.
Speaker 11: Same I made my kids get their licenses. They weren't that excited.
Speaker 3: I bet they're happy about it now.
Speaker 11: And Mandy, thank you so much for having me before I go.
Speaker 14: I just want to mention one thing I forgot to say before, which is that our our bond in Douglas County is a no tax increase bond, so it is there will be no change in the current mill levey rate, so it is a zero tax impact. It's permission to borrow some money and to continue attacks a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: All right, Aaron Kane, thank you, thank you so much. We'll be right back. If you've ever wanted to go to the Great American Beer Festival, and I have, I've always wanted to go. Uh, this may be the best year to go, because it's getting harder and harder as younger Jenners are just not they're not drinking wine, they're not drinking beer. They're just little puritanical people who don't have any bad habits, and they're going to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm just I'm just saying. They are like a little Victorians, aren't they. They're not having sex, they're not drinking, they don't want their driver's license. As news to.
Speaker 10: Me, what is this?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's so common, so common. Tons of the q'es friends do not want to get their driver's license. I'm like, I don't understand that at all. Maybe it's because we grew up in a rural area. You had to drive. You had to drive if you wanted to go anywhere. And now they're honestly like, I'll just call an uber. I'm like, how are you gonna pay for an uber?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: You don't have a job. I mean, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Well, they're saving all their allowance money because they're not spending it on beer.
Speaker 7: Like I.
Speaker 3: I didn't spend money on beer when I was in high school. I made a foreign college, but I did not in high school spend money on beer.
Speaker 5: But one creepy guy that was always around the gas station and we could just go give him our ten dollars that was for a thirty pack at Natty Light, and he'd get it for us every time.
Speaker 3: Okay, Grant, I got to tell you about the convenience store in my hometown owned by an Indian gentleman, and you walk in. I'm fifteen, sixteen years old, right, I'd walk in. Actually I didn't do this because I knew my dad would murder me if I did. But my friends would walk into the story they'd go back, they'd get a six pack of beer. They'd put it on the on the counter and he go, no hidie, no PEC six. So they would take out their ID that said they were sixteen years old and show it to him, and he would sell them beer as long as he had no hid no pac six, didn't matter what the date on it was, no hidee, no pack six, grant, no hide no pac six. So that's where we we had our suppliers that way. And now when I see a store about like I see a story about at marijuana shop getting fine for selling to an underage string of us, I'm like, who does that? And all he had to say was no hidi nol fact six. That's the way you go there. So a couple of things on the blog that I want to get to. Oh shoot, I forgot that. I mentioned the tickets and then I didn't give him away. How about we do this, We just have one paragrant. Why don't we just look at an easy like caller number seven. How about that love it at three O three seven one three eighty five eighty five. That's three oh three seven one three eighty five eighty five. Lucky seven is going to win those passes to Thursday Nights session of the Beer Festival this Thursday coming up. So there you go. Uh, we are definitely in the season where bears are trying to fatten up before they hibernate. And this story has me, it has me sad, you guys, really sad. So a man in Lake City, Colorado, was surprised when he came home because there were four bears in his house, a mama and three babies. Mama attacked him and he ran into his bedroom after being clawed, and he had injuries on his head, neck, arms, shoulder, abdomen, and calf. Before he escaped to the bedroom, A sheriff deputy came and chased the bears out. They treated the man at his house. He was not taken to the hospital, but all of the bears had to be destroyed. And I just want to say this, if you are in an area that has any kind of bear activity, you have to be aware. You have to be bear aware. You have to take care of your trash cans. You have to make sure that bears are not getting into your trash cans. Because when I got to go with Colorado Parks and Wildlife and do that super cool thing where we put those two baby bears, Boris and Marge into an artificial den so they could hibernate the rest of the winter. I learned a lot about what happens to bears when they are identified as nuisance. Bears first to get relocated, right, and they get tagged. So if they have a tag, if you see a bear with a tag in its ear, that bear has already been relocated and its next stop is being destroyed mean being killed. If it comes back and it starts being a nuisance somewhere else, then it gets tagged and it gets killed. So if you allow by not securing your garbage cans, and you have a bear in your neighborhood and the bears start to get into your trash cans, then you are potentially setting up the death warrant for that bear. As sad as it is, this is how I feel about people idiots who feed alligators in Florida. I'm like, well, why don't you just shoot it instead of feeding, because that's where it's headed. Once alligators lose their fear of humans, then they're dangerous and then they have to be killed. Once bears get into these trash cans too often then they end up getting killed. So I love bears. I think they're the cutest things. And those little bear cubs. I never did find out what happened to the bear cubs. I don't know if they even made it out alive. The Colorado parks in wild Life, well called them one twenty one and one twenty two. I think are one twenty two. In one I named the Boris and March, which to me seemed very very reasonable. We also have on the blog today. Remember Lourie Smith, the web designer who refused to make a website for a gay couple who were getting married. She makes wedding websites, and she just said, no, thank you. I am a Christian, I don't believe in gaming marriage, and so I'm not going to make that for you. The Supreme Court found in her favor. After the Colorado Civil Rights Commission ordered her to make this website. The Supreme Court saw it differently. They believed that it was a government compelled speech, and I agree with them. And now the state of Colorado is going to be paying one point five million bucks in her lawyer's fees. So talk about insult to injury. First of all, we have to recognize that our Colorado's Supreme Court has not gotten one right so far. They've been overturned at the highest level multiple times. Now you think they would do some navel gazing, or conversely, our legislature would look at these garbage laws that they have on the books and go, why does this keep getting overturned at the federal at the US Supreme Court and maybe make some adjustments. Maybe recognize that free speech is ensconced in the Constitution, whereas other things like gay wedding cakes or gay websites are not. And so when you have a Supreme Court that is more than willing to look at what's actually in the Constitution before ruling, you have big problems there, really really big problems there. So that is on the blog. Jimmy Singenberger wrote a great scorching column about Tina Peters and the headline is Tina Peters got what she deserved. And if you didn't watch the entire trial as Jimmy did, and you didn't watch the sentencing hearing like Jimmy and I did, then you really should just read this column to see exactly why she is facing nine years behind bars and she earned it one hundred percent, and I mean that one hundred percent. So, by the way, Grant, what are you doing for Cabrini Day today? You know Madame Cabrini, Sister Cabrino, different kind of Cabrini comple I didn't even know there was a Madame Cabrini, Sister Cabrini. She was the first American saint. She worked here in Colorado. And that's a shrine, right, yes, Rather than celebrate Christopher Columbus, we now celebrate Francis Cabrini on Cabrini Day.
Speaker 5: Do you have a plan?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, did Columbus Day ever get us a day off work? Did you ever have enough? I've never had it off. I don't think I've ever had it off. Let's be real Columbus Day? Does anybody?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 3: And here's what of course, Chuck, my husband found out about this today because cabrin What the hell is that I go? That is because apparently the Catholics have a much better lobby here than the Italians do. Because the only people that get mad about Christopher Columbus, and I mean mad enough to be out in front like arguing about it in front of TV cameras. The only ones that get mad enough to about Columbus Day are Italians because they take it very seriously that they're Italian brethren. Who is part of the apocryphal story of who actually discovered this nation that we now know probably isn't accurate. There were many people here before he was, but he was the first one to like Clay. So now we have Cabrini Day, and and there you go. That's a thing that you know. Now, I don't know how we're supposed to celebrate Cabrini Day. Hike up the up to the shrine. That's a lot like a Pilgrimage's a lot of walking. It's a lot of uphill walking.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: I went hiking yesterday in Kota, PAXI I went uphill, I went downhill, went uphill, went downhill.
Speaker 9: Did that.
Speaker 3: Multiple times up in the downhill, back and forth.
Speaker 10: So there we go.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how you I mean, do you do you just spend the day feeling extra Catholic guilty?
Speaker 7: What do you do? Well?
Speaker 3: How did you celebrate Columbus Day? Probably not at all? Right, So I'm trying to start a new tradition here. Grant don't point out where I failed at the old traditions. Okay, I'm looking for new traditions here, Like what do we do to celebrate Francis Cabrini. She helped children? It's nice, But do I have to help other people's children because I don't like other people's children.
Speaker 5: Maybe you just drink a glass of red wine the Blood of Christ. I like it with your kids. Well, you know who don't drink.
Speaker 3: Well, those things used it.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, my crazy Hungarian grandmother gave us wine with dinner. Oh, my friend Michelle, my super Catholic friend, Michelle is weighing in here now, and I'm gonna go to her.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But Saint Francis Cabrini was also Italian, so an Italian Catholic watched the Cabrini movie to celebrate. It's so good. It's on Prime. So there you go, Grant, there you go. There's our celebration right there.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch Little Francis Cabrini tonight.
Speaker 10: So there you go.
Speaker 3: It's not we don't have to worry about that troublesome Columbus day anymore. That's gone. So I guess my whole thing about the Catholics having a better lobby than the Italians, that's out the window. They just joined forces. But maybe, but see what this is a good way to keep the Italians from freaking out though. They're like, hey, we're gonna replace Columbus, and all the Italians like, you don't just say you're going.
Speaker 5: To do that.
Speaker 3: That's how they all sound in my mind. No, I'm just kidding. They don't know they do, but they don't. And then they're like, but wait, but wait, there's more. We're gonna replace your Italian with another Italian. And all the Italians are like, ooh, Oki doki. I don't know why. They just kind of went Irish there. But it's fine. My accent through, you know, not what they used to be. You missed your call in here.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: When I was in college, I specialized in accents. I took classes in accents and it was so much fun. So my fake persona when I would go out, she was not from Soviet Union. I did even drunk, I could do Natasha from Soviet Union and people are like, oh, did you immigrate here? No, we traveled across Siberia and thenneath the love wind to escape from Soviet Union because it was the only way out. None of this, none of these just getting on an airplane, No one does that, none of us real people do that. So yeah, but I don't do a lot of accents and I don't really have the need. Just don't now coming up on tomorrow's program, let me go back to hang On, let me do that, let me do this. I love it when my calendar is reminding me of everything that I have going on. It's like, I don't care about that right now?
Speaker 5: Do not?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 3: Uh, We've got a guy coming on and I want to see I don't know what. I have no idea what movie I'm talking to him about, but we're gonna talk about it tomorrow. So who's gonna play up the day with us today? Grant Ryan Edwards from The Sporty Pickle. Ooh, the Sporty Pickle. You know what's funny? Every time we say sporty pickle, I'm like, dang, I could have a pickle right now and be real happy. I bet there's a pickle beer at Did they have good pickles at the Sporty Pickle? And if not, you need to rectify that before I come there.
Speaker 4: Ryan, I have not tried the pickles, but I've heard great things about the pickles. Because again, if you're a place called the Sporty Pickle, you really have to have pickles, not just pickleball exactly.
Speaker 3: You got to You gotta lean all the way in, you know what I'm saying. You can't like halfway lean in. You gotta lean in, all right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's why the place is painted green. No, I'm just kiding.
Speaker 3: It smells vaguely of dill when you walk in, like that dill, that smithy.
Speaker 10: It's a pickled all right.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it is about that time, because now it's time for the most exciting segment all the radio of its kinde who the world of the day? All right, Ryan, it sounds like you have a significant delay there, mister, So this is going to be challenging for you. What is our dad joke of the day? Please grant? What did the baby corn say to the mama corn.
Speaker 5: Shucks?
Speaker 2: Drive?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: That's funny but wrong? What is it? Where's popcorn? Oh?
Speaker 5: Wow? Wow?
Speaker 3: Okay, today's tribut delay here.
Speaker 2: That's what you do.
Speaker 3: That is a very strong delay right now, because I can hear myself in the background, on the on the on the speakers there. So what is our word of the day?
Speaker 10: Word of the day?
Speaker 3: I think you will both gett That means to yell at someone, tell them they're stupid.
Speaker 5: Put them down, yes, angrily, scold or criticize someone.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: Ryan is the only US president to have never lived in the White House. I'm gonna say, George w I mean yeah, because he was early on right, early adopter of the presidency.
Speaker 10: Ye, I mean yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: I don't know, and that is correct. Although Washington e selected the building's architect and location, John Adams was the first president to live in the White House. Now, Ryan, I'm gonna wait until the end of the question. Okay, So that's as long as I can give you, And I don't know if that's going to be enough.
Speaker 10: Very generous, very generous of you.
Speaker 5: Okay, here we go, all right, Jeopardy Category four today from sports book to film.
Speaker 3: As in the book Shoeless Joe by W. P.
Speaker 5: Kinsella, farmer Ray Kinsella hears voices in this filmy Ryan Mandy.
Speaker 3: What is Field of Dreams? Correct?
Speaker 10: Ryan?
Speaker 3: I no, no, I heard you, but I said it like, no, Okay, you really didn't.
Speaker 10: That's possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is going to be a positive typical fashion. You'll get to lose like you always.
Speaker 10: How about this. By the way, I'm having a breakup out here. I can't hear anything.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Ryan, I will if it's close, I will give it to you. Okay, So there you go.
Speaker 5: Rope Burns became this Oscar winning film that some called Rocky in a Brawl.
Speaker 3: Rock Oh, No, it's it was a Clint Eastwood movie.
Speaker 10: It's yes, it was Ryan Ryan. What is Million Dollar Baby?
Speaker 3: Heay, I knew it had baby in it. I could not remember the actual name of the stupid movie.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, all right, one one? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Odessa, Texas was the home field for this HG.
Speaker 5: Blazinger book turned film, Mandy, Mandy, What is Friday Night Lights?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 5: Will Smith played a mystical caddy in the adaptation of the Stephen Ryan.
Speaker 10: What Is the Legend of Agrivance?
Speaker 3: Correct? When we're talking too coming down to the wire.
Speaker 5: This Mark Harris novel about baseball and Death became a Robert de Niro film, Baseball Death.
Speaker 3: I did not know this one. I have no idea. Did Robert DeNiro ever do a baseball film. Apparently he did this. I have no idea.
Speaker 5: No one bang the drums slowly, all right, So we need a tie here, something to break the tie? All right?
Speaker 3: How about this? There is a season?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Japanese tradition says this form of poetry may should.
Speaker 3: I'm supposed to wait till the end haiku? Correct? Yeah, sorry, Ryan, you.
Speaker 10: Can't even help it.
Speaker 3: No, I can't because it's just wait, it's just who I am. It's just who I am what I do. So I'm guessing I.
Speaker 10: Lost, just like I normally do, right, Grant, Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Ryan.
Speaker 3: Do you know if there are already jerseys that say Bueler on the because I'm buying one after yesterday's presser with Sean.
Speaker 10: Payton, it would be tremendous.
Speaker 4: If there are, they're not here just yet, but gosh, it's got to happen, right, I mean, it's absolutely got to have a Bdueler with the number ten underneath it. It's just too perfect. I wonder if there's some kind of marketing thing underneath this thing. You know, Sean Payton doesn't usually say things by accident, But that being said, maybe he's just a big John Hughes fan.
Speaker 10: Like we all are.
Speaker 4: And obviously we'll talk about that, the big win, snapping the streak, all that down here at the Sporty Pickle.
Speaker 3: All right, my friends, that is coming up KOA Sports coming up next, will be back tomorrow. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Watch the Francis Cabrini movie tonight to celebrate Cabrini Day, and remember to keep it right here on KOA