Speaker 1: The following is an Encore presentation.
Speaker 2: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber.
Speaker 1: The show is sponsored by G three of Parow.
Speaker 2: The views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven to ten wor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Webber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success, from the New York City projects to the.
Speaker 1: Avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Speaker 2: His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark his classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 3: Mark Weber. It's freezing out there. There's no way you can like this weather. No, I must admit I do like the seasonality of New York. But then I think of the reality, as I know there are places in the United States where the sun is out people are wearing short sleeves right now. Pisses me off. Florida, Los Angeles. I spent so much time there in the winter, and I know what those places are like as we're freezing. Yet I don't like the snow. It's too much of a hassle. And after the snowfall, it gets slushy, ugly, and we're all penalized. We're wet, we're walking, we're driving. Its pain. It's freezing. I do not like it. So why am I talking this? Because it's cold? It got me thinking, thinking that it's cold not just outside. Sometimes in life it's cold on the inside as well. We've known it. It's the cold treatment, turning cold on an idea, things that leave me cold. I've been on the wrong side of the cold treatment more times than I care to admit. But I also must admit I become an expert at freezing people out. I'm great at dishing out the cold treat. Words can be harsh, they can be cold. No is the coldest word, the coldest answer to anyone. People hate to be told no. I love it. I love the word no. Nos Off is the smartest choice and the smartest response you can come up with. There are expressions come in from the cold, have a cold one. She's as cold as ice. I should say. The cold is getting me cursing a little bit tonight, and I apologize. I never curse, but I can't help myself. I'm freezing my ass off. Got me thinking of the cold, the application of coldness and business in life. Yeah, I got things I want to talk about tonight. And I'm told you guys out there like stories, Well I got some stories to tell. I wonder about people you want cold. You could do a million things for someone, always be there for them. But the first time you don't agree or can't comply with what they ask, all bets are off. They can't stand you. You don't think. So here's an example. There's someone working for you. You bring them along, you give them better than average raises each year, and then the first time they're disappointed or expecting more, and expecting is a bad word only eclipse by entitlement. Anyway, don't agree that relationship is over, Then talk about someone they find out cold. Talk poorly about someone to me, I'm done with you. I'll smile. You won't know, but you will see as time goes on. You can't talk about people badly to me, I just don't agree with it. Talk badly about the company or the management which I'm a part of. Hell hath no fury. As a women's scorned nor Mark Weber scorned. Bottom line is freezing outside and inside tonight it always in fashion. Joining me the always warm hearted co hosts have always in fashion, my lawyer and my son Jesse Weber warm hearted.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: That's very nice of you to say, Hey, everybody, let's get right into it though, with all this, because you, my friend, are a tough love father. And I say that with all due respect and all due love. When you don't like something that I do, you're as cold as ice.
Speaker 3: Ah, come on, what are you talking about? I'm so easy.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? You don't stop, You're relentless. You hang up on the phone. Are you in the call immediately? If you don't like what I'm saying, I know you're angry.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: I see it.
Speaker 4: Look I can't help but feel guilty saying it, but it's what I feel.
Speaker 3: Okay, good? Do you change your mind? Should I ask you to repeat after me? No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you got it. See. You may not always be right, but you're never.
Speaker 3: Wrong right exactly.
Speaker 5: See it bothers me, but it is true.
Speaker 4: It is true. You can't deny it. Mister tough guy. By the way, I always know you have my best interest at heart.
Speaker 5: That's clear. You never waiver. You always want to do what's right for me. But you are tough.
Speaker 3: So I'm not cold.
Speaker 5: No, you're cold. You're cold. Can I talk about COVID nineteen. Let me be clear about this.
Speaker 4: Sure, COVID nineteen very serious destroyed our world for a period of time. We have a much better understanding of this now than we.
Speaker 3: Do I so we think.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little different in twenty twenty four than it was in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's true, but we still don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: I had what would be an emergency. I had to go to something this weekend. It was a family function. I had no choice, and unfortunately, where I was going one of the people that I had to be around. I had no choice, and I wanted to be around. I had COVID and this was a person who was already at the tail end of their COVID nineteen diagnosis. They already had had it for about five days. But the person wore a mask, and I had to be around that person.
Speaker 5: I know you did more.
Speaker 4: Detailed, Yes, I know you did it. I'm going to get I'm not getting into more details. I had no choice but to be around that person. And look, I told you this is what it was. I didn't regret any of my decisions to be around this person. It turns out I'm fine, by the way, but it turns out somebody else who was close to that person may have gotten COVID nineteen.
Speaker 5: And now you're doing I told you so. I told you so, which is.
Speaker 4: Just not fair given the circumstances of the situation.
Speaker 5: I had to be around that person.
Speaker 3: Fairis for kids. You didn't have to be close to it. Twenty other people who could have been closed where you didn't have to be closed.
Speaker 4: I want to run away, but I'm fine, and you still won't let me home. You won't let me near you. Your brutal, your cold des ice.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Listen, while we're talking cold, let's suck cold in the world. I want to talk about the other day. You were on Cyrus Radio H and you were talking about the political coverage on Donald Trump after he won the Ohio caucuses.
Speaker 5: Why do you talk or Iowa or Iowa?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that too, Yeah, Yeah, you're cold.
Speaker 5: I'm correcting.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a parlor of break.
Speaker 5: You hate being corrected, particularly on the air.
Speaker 4: But anyway, this has been a question on news organization's mind since twenty sixteen, how do you cover Donald Trump? And now they're in the position where the fact that he won the Iowa Caucus, it looks like he's going to win the Republican nomination for president, and by all accounts, there is a very strong likelihood he's going to be the next president of the United States. So the media has to take him seriously. This is unlike twenty twenty one. After he lost the twenty twenty election, they have to take him seriously. Now what happened after he won Iowa and he's giving a victory speech. MSNBC and CNN and even Fox News to an extent cut off his speech.
Speaker 5: They didn't air it in its entirety.
Speaker 4: In fact, Rachel Maddow deliberately said that she's not gonna cover his speech because it's filled with inaccuracies and things that are not true. So news organizations are in the position right now how do they cover Donald Trump? Do they want to air conspiracy theories? Do they want to air things that aren't true. I'm of the opinion you air Donald Trump, you show what he has to say. If you want to fact check him, be my guest, But to just silence him and censor him. I find that to be very problematic, and some of news organizations are taking the cold approach. We're gonna cut him off. We don't want to air him, even though he is such an important figure in our American politics.
Speaker 5: Do you disagree with me?
Speaker 3: No, not at all. Isn't that an effect dealing with the election and bias in an election? You're telling me everything that comes out of the president smell or who's that guy? I can't stand in California Scheff Adam Schiff? Yeah? Him? Are you kidding me? All these people every the word out of them out you know how you know the line their lips a movie.
Speaker 4: But here's the bigger issue, right where do you draw the line? Do you start cutting off Donald Trump when you don't agree with his policies? Because Jake Tapper from CNN, as soon as Donald Trump was talking about the border and immigration, he cut him off. He wasn't talking about conspiracy theories, he wasn't talking about the election being stolen. He was talking about the border, a real issue. That's when you decide to cut him off. At what point do we get to the opinion. This is when the art audience doesn't need to hear from Donald Trump anymore.
Speaker 5: That's where I find the problem.
Speaker 3: You had a guest on I don't know his name. He's very articulate, very.
Speaker 5: Smart, Aiden McLaughlin from Media eight.
Speaker 3: Very sharp guy. I really enjoyed listening to him. But he did not like Trump. He referred to saying that Trump during his presidency had twenty thousand lies. But with all due respect, what's the number for all these other people?
Speaker 4: I guess the only difference and the comparison you could make is if you talk about Donald Trump's words regarding the election. Arguably people were relying on what he was saying about the election to storm the Capitol on January sixth.
Speaker 5: There is a concern he.
Speaker 3: Didn't tell anybody to storm.
Speaker 4: That, but they believe the election was legitimately stolen, and a big reason was because of what Donald Trump was saying. So people are concerned that if they just air I give a platform to everything Donald Trump says, it could create a dangerous situation. That's the difference I think between him and perhaps of Biden.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. All the statements that come out of the other side. I've said it. What comes to social issues, take abortion. I am hard left with the Democrats. I'm not a woke guy. I don't want to know from it. I think with the teaching in schools, the positions they've taken, I think we're a laughing stock in the world, and we give it a get straight. I think the country's in real trouble. But having said that, there's all kinds of nonsense coming out of everyone, and we shouldn't just pick on Trump. Bottom line, you can dislike this man. I get it. He dealt with people I like. I would be alone all the time in my office. I wouldn't let anyone in. I don't like humans. It's clear. I'll tell you though, though it's also clear I don't have to like Trump, so please pay attention. This is important. The older I get, the wiser I get. I've learned that I care less about what people say they will do. I care only about what they will do. Trump don't like them. It's not a popularity contest. This country's crazy. We're nuts. There's nothing wrong with saying America first. What country doesn't put itself first? Every decision we make should be for ourselves first. It doesn't isolate us from the rest of the world, but we should worry about ourselves. The border. Biden and his team destroyed our border. Illegal illegals, illegals, illegals. The Democrats won't admit it. I can't stand them for that. There were no wars. Unto Trump, he made it clear that he would not have wars. Then that's not forget. Drill baby, drill independent for the first time maybe in our history, on energy, rather than be relying on countries that don't like us, that hate us. We had a vibrant economy. Everyone was working, real wage growth. People were making more money. Make American life great again. That's the cold, hard truth. I get it. We're freezing. I'll be back in a minute. Maybe I'll calm down, warm up.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, car Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Carlagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagafeld also offers a range of watches, eyewear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofil collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it, and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot Comparis. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I for one wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carlagofel is My buddy calls are great. They fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches. Whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld, Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagafel dot com. ISOD love the brand. When you ask me which of all the brands I've ever been associated with, ISOD was my favorite company I was with. We bought the brand and needed a revision. We needed a re engineering. I was at the forefront of that. We took a brand that was extraordinarily well known to everyone in America, and we said, what do we do to give it energy, to make it exciting, to make it fun to be with that can follow you to the office at work, to your home, to casual sportswear to active weear, particularly in luxury sports like tennis and golf. Isaid became an incredible brand for the company and for me particularly to be associated with it. Having said that isod. It's freezing out there right now and we have no alternatives on what to wear. Everyone has a point of view, not like Isaac has a total collection of interrelated matching shirts, sweaters, turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, fleece, pole of fleece, amazing looking products, amazing colors, all related to the khaki pants, black pants, and navy pants that you wear. I love the collection. You can wear it to casual work it or you can wear it in your home, or you can wear it skiing or after skiing. It is just great tops and pants for men. The great thing about ISAID. If you're fortunate enough to be able to go on holiday this season to warm weather and you play golf, EYESID always has a very definitive golf collection twelve months a year that will satisfy your needs of getting things done and being represented in a brand that is energetic and fun. I love the AID brand. You should look at it, guys. I think it'll answer a lot of your questions. Interesting thing about being comfortable in your clothes one is the obvious, how does it fit? How do you feel Are you comfortable? Isaid's always there if it's a generous the design to make you comfortable. But at the same time, the second usage for comfort is in your head. You should know that ISAID makes you feel good and you're always looking good and dressed for whatever ocasion you might have. You could find ISAID at JC Penny Cole's or on Amazon. Guys, go take a look. I think you'll be satisfied and excited.
Speaker 2: ISID Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: It's freezing. I hate it. The only good thing that's coming out of freezing this week. It got me thinking about being cold. This show is original content. We don't do sports, we don't do news and weather, and not a political show where lifestyle and cultural and things come up. Freezing made me think about the cold, and it's very clear that it can be cold outside but also can be cold inside. I want to talk about criticism a bit. Everybody has an opinion. The only one that matters is yours. To that u't self be true, said Shakespeare. Robert Downey Jr. The Critics Choice Awards was Sensation. He gotta like that guy for everything He does. He's an amazing actor. He's great as iron Man. Jesse's you have figures in the house. By the way, like a ja.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you Ironman, favorite superhero and the way he portrayed him, no one else could do it.
Speaker 5: Love that guy.
Speaker 4: And by the way, he's one of those actors who actually became his character. Tell me you don't see him, You're like, that's Tony Stark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Anyway, he's at the Critic Choice Award and he was receiving the Best Supporting Actor for Oppenheim. He got up there, he was really great. You want to cover what he said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 4: He gets up there, he goes, love the critics. Love the critics that you could tell he's he's vague, facetious, and he goes, he goes, let me just pull out some of their quotes about me in the past few years. And he takes out a selection of like three or four quotes that just have trashed his acting in the past.
Speaker 5: Like really really, really bad stuff. And it was hilarious that he was reading it.
Speaker 3: They set up sloppy, messy, and lazy. While the final review called him as an amusing as a Bedlock fart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had the room rolling.
Speaker 3: So anyway back to criticism, we got some good one right now. Jesse, you were on the radio on w WALLAS. Why did you talk about what happened?
Speaker 4: So I had the great opportunity to fill in for Mark Simone, mister New York here on seven to ten WR this past week and two parts of the show. I take live callers, people who want to call into the show, and I think that they're going to talk about what I'm talking about, Trump, Biden, whatever it might be, politics, law, and two callers call in and all they can talk about is how much they love you and how much they love always in fashion. Didn't put them up to it, don't know who they are. And if we have an opportunity, can we play those clips? Can we play those calls?
Speaker 5: Josh from Los Angeles, California. Hey, Josh are you doing?
Speaker 3: Jess, big fan of your show with your father's and I know you did.
Speaker 6: He's listening and I just.
Speaker 5: Love it when you guys go fashion, social fashion.
Speaker 6: Great show.
Speaker 3: Everyone should thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: I appreciate hope management.
Speaker 4: Are you listening, Are you listening? Thank you very much, Thank you, appreciate.
Speaker 6: That anybody who's into fashion or into anything like that, you love the show.
Speaker 5: Let's go to Vincent from Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Jesse. Last weekend, you aren't on your father's show, and your father was talking about what to do after you got fired or you got turned down for a job. That was very good. Your father said, remember your qualities, your skills. You didn't lose it, very very good. Your father was be morning the fact that you weren't there.
Speaker 3: Aside from those two guys who now are my favorites, I love them, I don't like you humans. My list for disliking humans is endless. I didn't wake up one day and say I don't like my fellow man. No, this dislike was earned over a long period of years, watching and observing behavior. Jealousy never understood it. We all have what we have envy, never experience it. I applaud capitalism, self worth, hard work, the entrepreneurial spirit. In fact, if you're an accomplished individual at charm and my doorstep, I have questions. It'll be an hour before you get to ask me one, because I want to know how did you find success. My dislike for humans, though, is about the unwritten code and respect for their fellow man. Do unto others, some of them. I read that somewhere. Who was it? Maybe the Bible Confucius is also attributed do unto others as you would have them do unto you. See, that's the problem in my career, my life. I've seen and heard too many people undermining family, friends, business and social their bosses and the company. You hear Jesse poke fun at me all the time. It keeps me in check.
Speaker 4: Wait a second, what I give you is very well deserved, and you deserve it. You admit that you're an acquired taste. But no one can tell me anything bad about you. No one else can say it.
Speaker 5: Only I can. It's unacceptable.
Speaker 4: I can say what I want, no one else can exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm like you. I'm loyal to a fall, friends, family, boss, company. I take no potshots. Now, someone working for me might be underperforming. I may have decided they can't remain in their position or the company for that matter. But it's between me and them, no one else. It's their misfortune. I respect the fact that they have a right to their privacy. I don't gossip, I don't undermine. I don't talk out of school. Don't come to me with your undermining or your scheme is to supplant your company rivals. All it does is make an enemy of me. I lose faith in you. So that's a small sampling of what I've experienced and why I don't like humans. But now I know you like examples, and I decided I want to give you a few that deals with turning cold, one of my favorites. I've mentioned before on the radio. I did not always behave like the mature individual that I am today. A bunch of years ago, I was expecting a promotion. I was traveling in Europe on business and I get a call that the president of the company wants to speak with me. Now we're six hours apart, I'm in Europe, and I get on the phone and the president and executive EP and senior vice president of the company told me they wanted to talk to me. They had great news. And during the course of that conversation there was great news for everyone except me. A number of my rivals, a number of my equals, a number of other people all were promoted. And when I was waiting for the final shooter drop for them to tell me what my new job would be. There was none, and I asked the question, what about my promotion? And then the president said, what promotion. Well, I was under the impression I thought I was doing well. I was going to get combroded. Well, Mark, I'm sure sometime you will, but not tonight. And I lost it three thousand miles away. I started screaming at the president of the company, said you. I can't believe you called me to tell me you have good news, and I have just been told that everyone I know has got promoted besides me. One thing in business, you lose your cool, You lose As I said, I wasn't that mature. There was a silence, and the next words out of the present's mouth was bone chilling. You want to talk cold, here's a cold Mark. If you feel that way, I want you on the next plane home tomorrow morning. You'll be in my office after you land and we'll talk about what you just said. Silence. I realized that I just did myself some grave harm, and fortunately for me, I had the presence of mind to get back on the phone and they were still in their office, probably discussing what a maniac gu I was. And I got a chance to apologize and one of the people stepped in and gave me a lifeline, and they managed to stay with the company. I get back to New York two weeks later, get called into the senior vice president's office and said, Mark, I admire you. You're great at what you do, but your outburst left a tolerable impression and there are ramifications. The first thing we're going to do is we've hired industrial psychologists to talk to you. We need to know if you are prone to lose your cool and to create damage. We need to know that you're a secure individual. Great here I am. I lived my whole life. I'm a normal guy. I never did any Now I got to see an industrial psychologist so they know I'm not an axe murderer. Worse than that, every time there were meetings, either I was left off or someone forwarded it to me so that I can attend. Nobody invited me directly to meetings. When I was in the meetings, nobody directed any questions to towards me. Nobody would ask my opinion because I was getting the freezing treatment. One of the most insulting things that would take place was when meetings would be over or they wanted a smaller group. They would have me recuse myself and they would go on with the important part of the meeting without me. I had to live with that for two years because I lost my cool. I cursed out loud. I forgot that I wasn't talking to my friends. These were business associates in this case, the three more senior people in the company. Do you want to talk about a stupid move. Well, I got the cold treatment for two years. Two years, but I learned my lesson to you. Now, over the course of time, I learned how to dish out the cold treatment. I have a great story one of my closest business friends. I took him from a divisional guy to a vice president, eventually made him a president. And during the course of this time, we traveled a lot. Everyone was traveling, and at one particular time we were all together the Golf convention at Orlando, Florida in January one year. And let's just say that the senior most people, right, wrong or indifferent, was staying at one kind of hotel and everyone else was staying at another kind of hotel. So this associate of mine, who we were very close, who, as I said earlier, I did a million thanks for and the first time I didn't, he didn't stay where we stayed. I overheard him talking to a group of other executives whereby he said, I can't believe those guys. I put themselves up in that hotel, and they put themselves there. So right away he's casting aspersions that I intentionally drew a line that ended before him, and that was not okay with him, So he's talking about me. Then, on one of the off days of the convention, after we were there in the morning, I played golf with a bunch of clients and people, and then again somebody came to me and told me he was talking behind my back, talking about we're here in a business meeting, how dare I go play golf? Now I'm the president of the company. I was senior to him, that's the best way to say it. And here this guy who I did so much for talking about me behind my back, and who knows, maybe I would get in trouble for doing this, I don't think. So. I was with other people from the company who played golf, and I was with customers, big ones, and that's what golf is about in business. But him to talk about me that way behind my back. I asked to see him for a drink. He thought it was gonna be rosy and well, and I said to him, I did say a team to you yesterday when you're talking about the hotels and how arrogantly you were against the fact that Maye and a couple of our associates with one hotel, and you were in another bad form, bad judgment, talking about me behind my back. But worse, I heard you talk to me about playing golf on top of everything else, Wherever whoever you talk to could repeat it to the wrong people. I wouldn't get a chance to defend the fact that I was playing golf with clients and with other people from the company you talk behind my back. I want you to know that a Lowie are close, we've been great business associates. From this moment forward, you are not allowed in my office. You're not allowed to address me directly. You're not allowed to call me on the phone. If you have a problem, you find your secretary, talk to my secretary. And if in fact I have get involved with someone from the outside, I will do it without you. This is going to be on immediately. You have no access to me, I have no interest in you, and I will not talk to you. I got up, walked away, and for three months I never uttered a word to him until that's goack, what cold tonight's show exactly, Thank you, Jesse. I'm tempted to end it right here and go on to something else, but I have one more story, because we've been told that the audience likes to his stories. This is a story about a guy who I'll call Scott. Scott was a friend of a friend who was brought to the company, and because he was a friend of the friend, he got treated very specially, and over the course of time when everybody was moving up, he was put in a position to move up more rapidly than anyone else because we were looking out for him. He deserved it. He was sharp, he was articulate, He packaged himself well, and the senior most people in the company, myself included as president, made it our business to put him in the right place at every time boom. He's working for one of our largest divisions, and the president of that division doesn't like him. She says he's arrogant, he feels entitled. I don't like the way he behaves Mark, I said, I understand you, but this is bigger than you or me. This is a guy we think has potential to move forward. You manage him, you work through him. Just let's teach him and we will eventually decide that we need him elsewhere. One fateful night, there were twenty of us who went for a business dinner. We just announced the financial results. They weren't great. Barrell sitting around the dinner, as it happened, two seats down from me, Scott, and he had let's say, one too many drinks, and he started to talk. I should also point out that he's a vice president of the company now, and he starts talking about how stupid we are, how many mistakes we made, how the stock stinks because the management of the company doesn't know what they're doing. He gots on to talk about the fact that his four oh one k was worth ten times what it was now he can't believe what a bunch of muckety MUCKs he works for. We don't know what they're doing. Now he's an officer of the company. So right away, when you're an officer of a company, when you have two initials in front of your name, in this case, VP. You have an obligation to speak on behalf of the company in a positive way. You have no right to talk badly about the company to associates who may be above you, or, worst case, there were people below him. He's sending the worst signal that he possibly can as an officer of the company. Oh and by the way, those guys in management who are schmucks and don't know they were doing. One of them was sitting two seats away from him and heard him me. I was so shocked, how stupid he could be doing it in public for uhim, and how sitting next to me, someone who did so much for him, he's talking about me, my boss, and the other office of the company. This way dead to me. You want to talk cold frozen. Following day, I went to the division president, the woman who had told me that he was arrogant, entitled, she didn't like working with him. I told her, starting today to forevermore, he's to be treated like anyone else. If he continues to be arrogant, if you don't think he's performing, get rid of him. It wasn't very long after that that he was gone. So Scott, you should have learned the lesson and anyone else out there, you better behave. If you don't behave, it gets really cold really quick. It's cold and freezing and always in fashion tonight back in a.
Speaker 1: Minute, always in fashion.
Speaker 3: I spent a lifetime of my career building the Van Yusten, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions, in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event. You can wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself is as important as the products you package, and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venues and invented a new idea. It's called the cool flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. It's wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wiki. It makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discs us just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing, and I'm so excited that the van using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget van using Maine It's name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van using cool Flex men's stretch suits at jcpenny are online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: It's freezing. It's freezing. I hate it. I hate it in spite of the fact that one of the niceties about New York is the change of the seasons. January New York stinks. It's cold outside, But tonight I'm chosen to talk about it's cold inside. I want to talk now of all things fashion. Shaka on a show that's called Always in Fashion, take a moment. I want to change the name. Used to be a show called Dragnet, where at the beginning of the show the names were changed to protect the innocent. I'm not gonna tell you the name of the store or the name of the company. I'm referring to. I lost fifty pounds three years ago, and because of that, I had to change my wardrobe. Now, why is that relevant. I went from being a heavyweight to a middleweight and I needed new clothes that fit me. I was a forty six or forty four in a suit I'm now forty two that needs to be tapered, which brings me the point of cold. When you shop for suits, guys, one of our commercials is venues, and you should try their suits on the stretched fabric. This is not the commercial now, but they fit great. You buy them off the rack, you put them on and I'll fit most men very well. But generally speaking, when you buy a sport code or a suit, I have to be altered. Hold that thought. When I was a name eighteen years old in college, I work for a men's clothing company. We sold suit, sport codes, tailor pants, and when you work for a company such as that, you have to learn how the tailoring works. And I became an expert. A guy puts on a suit, I could look at it no immediately. Does a colony to be lowered, Do the side need to be taken in or let out? There? Center vents need to be adjusted. Are the pockets in the right place or the button's in the right place. There are many levers you could push to make a suit fit right. The problem is tailoring is very expensive for a store, and the owners of the store or the corporate office of the store wants you to get people in and out as quickly as you possibly can. Here's a tip, guys, if you ever walk into suit Supply or Ralph Lauren or Macy's or Bergdorf's or Bloomingdale's, if they don't have a three way mirror in the suit department, they're out to get you. The reason is all they want to do is tell you that the jacket fits right now. I'd like to believe if you were looking for tom Ford, they want you to walk out looking amazing, as anyone should, because the first thing someone says to you, oh, I like your suit, who you're wearing. They'll do that if it fits well, if it's a nice suit. But more times than not, stores are thinking about the court of the tailoring as well, and what they want to do is the least amount of work to get you in and out of their shop. So you walk through your stand, if they don't show you a three way mirror, you can't see the back. That's what they want. So the first thing, if you don't see a three way mirror, you're not being treated fairly. Number one. Number two, you're not experts. You don't know what to look for. The problem is they want the least amount of tailoring work possible because it's expensive. There was a guy who used to run a store called Simms. You may have heard him, Cy Sims. He had a commercial and he said, an educated consumer is my best customer. Well, most of us aren't educated consumers, but I am because working in these stores, I work with the tailors. I knew how to mark the suits, pin them, chalk them. I knew exactly every alteration that needed or could be done on a jacket. When someone walked in and they knew what they were doing, I had to give them more attention than the people that weren't. And the people that weren't are the ones that paid the price. So to speak. I wasn't a bad guy. I had a boss standing over my head telling me how they wanted to run the company. Fast forward, I'm a luxury guy. Now I paid the price. I worked a whole career. I learned how to do a lot of things, and I got paid well for it. Now I'm buying tailored clothing because my current wardrobe doesn't fit. And I walk into one of my favorite stores to get a sport code fixed. Sport code needed, the collar shortened, the shoulders, tapered side seams, let out center plete clothes. I took to the tailor. I left a week later, came back. The coat didn't fit. They didn't do any of the alterations on the back. Now the front look beautiful, you know I stand. He said, Oh the front looks beautiful, cacause look beautiful. Look beautiful. Before I tried it on, it's all the work in the back that didn't get done. Oh we're sorry, etc. Now, if I take it on face value, and I trusted him that they just had a mistake, but I didn't. I don't think they even attempted it. So now I'm here for the second fitting. We go through the same thing all over again, and I look at the tailor. I said, we're going to get it right. This time. Absolutely, there's a problem. In a lot of companies with tailoring. The tailor that marks the clothes isn't necessarily the one who does the alterations, so his best intentions as he understood him standing there might not be interpreted by the guy who's actually going to do the work. That could be the problem. Every time come back for my second fitting, the side seems are too tight, the center pleat is not fixed properly, the cuffs are okay, they didn't shorten the back. I have to come back a week later again. Third week wrong Again. I'm frustrated. I already tipped the tailor for doing the work. Now I got it start all over again. Long story short. The fourth time they got it right. They sent it to my home. I was pleased to unpack the jacket. But should I have to go through that. It's cold when you don't know what you're doing. Ralph Lauren, you're the greatest store, the greatest company in the world. You should be able to tell her better than you do. Oops, I said the name that's cold back in a minute.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: Donna Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and to night. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karen collection, and Donna invented DK NY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen Collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Then we talk about lifestyle brands, What does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen decan why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work, they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses. Extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's Casual Clothes did that under the DKNY label. A vast array of casual sports that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you going to soccer games for your children or whether you going out to the movies, whatever you want to do, dkn y Jeenes, DKY Sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. And I need to mention DKY Activewear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY Activewear, certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of dk why is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. Dk and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend. DCN why you can find DCNY and Macy's DKY dot com as one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers. Carl Lagerfeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. Well. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Carlagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches I wear in premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofl collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagafel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I for one, wear men's clothes, unlike my i appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current, I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carl Lagafel is my buddy. Carls are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been, one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl lagafeld Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagafel dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: If you're just tuning in and you just walk up, well you're from another planet. It's freezing in New York and I hate it. The only good thing that came out of freezing has got me thinking about how cold do you work? World is not just outside but inside. Business is dogg eat dog. You're competing with other people for careers. The world is crazy. There's so many things that we could fix, and nobody wants to talk. Honestly, it's not a politician that you can trust anymore. There's nothing going on that feels right about the world. It's cold out there, and we're cold. I want to talk, though, for a moment now, about being a tough guy. I don't mean at home. I don't mean fighting. I mean being a manager. At work. When you're the boss, you have responsibilities. You're not there to make friends. What you hope the best you could find is trust. You're not working to be liked, You're working to be respected. You want to lead and you want to be able to inspire people. You want to get people to do what you need them to do to follow your directions. This comes in a number of different situations. I talked about getting fired, and I got a number of people writing to me, writing to the station, writing to us on LinkedIn, talking about how helpful it was hearing someone outline the plans for what to do if you lose your job. I thought about this in terms of being called, and I realized that there was one more thing I wanted to talk to you about, and it's called recalibrate. Whether you're looking for a job because you will let go, or you're looking for a job in a new industry, or you're looking for a job for that matter, in another company, you may have to recalibrate. You may have to recalibrate in your mind, or you may have to recalibrate in real life. If you were making one hundred thousand dollars in your last job and you got fired, while you still are you, while you still have your education, will you still have your skill set? You're not in the driver's seat when you're looking for work when you're out of work. If someone is pulling you from another company where you're currently a employed and you're making one hundred thousand dollars and they want you, then there's a pretty good chance you're going to get that money or more because they're recruiting you. However, if you're looking cold calling, you've been recommended, you're trying to find a new job, you need to recalibrate. I'll never forget there was a guy named John, great guy had worked with him, he got let go from his job at the company I used to work for, came to see me in New York. I was at LVMH. I's running DKY had openings and at the time he had been earning four hundred thousand dollars a year plus a bonus of fifty percent, so he had the ability and he was making six hundred thousand dollars or more any given year of the company. But he was fired. When he came to me at k and Y, I had an opening that he would have been great for, but the job was paying three hundred thousand dollars and he looked at me like I was a bad guy. He almost laughed at me when I said that to him, and he said to me, why would I come here for that? And I said, John, I have to talk to you from experience here. You know, I was looking for a job before I came to LVMH, and I must admit, I will tell you flat out. I didn't have to recalibrate because they were looking for cific skill set, a specific series of experiences and experience that I had, and they were more than willing to take care of me. But we all can't be that lucky. I was lucky. You're looking for a job. I need you to think about recalibrating. You're still worth everything you were paid at the last company, but when you are going to find out that the job market isn't as easy, when you're looking for a job rather than being recruited, would you consider coming in here. I'll promise you that your titles will grow. You do what I know you're capable of. You will do just fine. No, Mark, I'm not recalibrating. I think I could do better. He left. Okay, I forgot about it, moved on, hired someone else. Six months later, get a call. John is in New York. He wants to talk to me. The first words out of his mouth Mark, you were I need to recalibrate. I'd like to come work for you. Now you want to talk lucky. I had a great job, not a good job, a great job. And I remembered our conversation last time, and I remembered that I offered him three hundred thousand dollars PR the bonus, and I told him I thought the world of him. I told him that he would do fine, and sure enough, he came back at three hundred thousand dollars. Two years later he was making six hundred, so he had to recalibrate. Hopefully that's helpful. Hey, Jesse, I'm talking a lot tonight. You've got a story about cold treatment.
Speaker 5: Anyway, since we were talking about politics.
Speaker 4: You know what, one of the coldest things I've ever seen was two things that I thought were very cold. Number One, when Donald Trump was president, do you remember when he pushed aside the Prime Minister of Montenegro at that meeting of NATO that was.
Speaker 3: The coldest, stand in front of the photos.
Speaker 4: To stand in front of him for the photo op and didn't even look behind.
Speaker 5: It was the coldest thing.
Speaker 4: Literally pushed him aside like he was a toddler at the playground. That was always resonated in my mind. Number Two, and you've talked about this before. Not a fan of Nancy Pelosi, but when she ripped up Donald Trump's speech at the what was it, the Capitol Address, the State of the State of the Union, State of the Union, My gosh, have you ever seen another cold move like that?
Speaker 5: Literally rips up the speech right behind him his speech?
Speaker 3: That was cold. I'll tell you I I was never a fan politically of Nancy Pelosi, but as a human I had utmost respect for her. She was cold as i she was tough as nailed. She would do anything to get anything done. She was a street warrior. I loved her in that position. From that perspective, I don't like any decisions they made. But boy, oh boy, I guess with the exception of Obamacare, I was kind of opposed to it. I paid attention to the negative comments. In hindsight, I think Obamacare was great for the country. What do I know, it's freezing outside. The only good thing that came from freezing outside it allowed me freezing inside. I started thinking about situations where it's cold inside, particularly in business. Life is not easy. Nobody said life is fair, fairest for kids. You can look in the Constitution, you can look in the Declaration of Independence, you can look anywhere. Nowhere does it say you're entitled or you will be treated fairly. The world is cold, and you have to learn to navigate through the chill. I've had my ups and downs, as so sure all of you have had. I've had so many disappointments. I've been given the cold treatment more than I care to admit. I've learned how to give it myself, I would respond, But how you navigate through the difficult times is the difference between success and failure. It's easy to do and be happy and be well when things are going your way, But what about when you get disappointed? What about when you make mistakes and your call to task for them? What about when your boss does like you? What about if somebody gets promoted in a job you thought you deserved. What are you supposed to do well? You have two choices. One act like a jerk and pay a price and get the cold treatment, which you may or may not ever recover from business. Frostbite is often fatal, not like in real life. You have to be smart if you get disappointed, if you're left out in the cold, you have to decide how to play it. And I will tell you the following. Putting a positive attitude on disappointment, internally telling yourself I'm better than this. I will survive this, I'll prove them wrong. And the same thing on the outside. Hey, I understand why you made these choice. Hey, I understand the company has treated me fairly. I understand that if I work hard and smart, I'll improve myself. Working through disappointment is the difference between success or failure, and it's a difference between being outside freezing or warm indoors. I wish you all the best of luck. Be back next week. Good Night,