Speaker 1: Hello, anybody, Welcome to the Lucky Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tony Gerdeman here as always a sophomore town.
Speaker 3: How's it going well, Tony, you told me what this show was and I said I hate these shows, and you.
Speaker 1: Said, I said, no, you like them. These are your favorite shows. That's what you said the last time we did one of these.
Speaker 4: No, no, it is not.
Speaker 3: He knows I don't love these shows, which is why we're doing, once again, Tony, blind ranking individual matchups.
Speaker 2: We're blind ranking some any individual matchups this year four of the Black Eyes. I'm gonna give Tom a matchup between an higher state player and an opposing player, and he's gonna rank it between one and five what he thinks it's going to be in terms of the most impactful, most important, biggest individual matchup. Of course, the problem with blind ranking Tom is you're ranking these things blindly.
Speaker 1: Now, what I've never done is I've never.
Speaker 2: Like sold you out or not, the last one being, you know, something like Joe Maguire versus the Volcano.
Speaker 4: He said foreshadowingly, Well.
Speaker 1: The problem is I don't put enough forethought into something like that. I'm not that kind of person. I'm not a bad person.
Speaker 2: So all right, Tom, the first one here, let's go with, and this was a pretty big one.
Speaker 1: Jordan Marshall versus Peyton Piers.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Michigan running back Jordan Marshall, who we will get to talk to on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll maybe we'll ask him to blind rank this.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Where do you think you're matchup with Peyton Pierce ranks visa be these other four matchups, but you have to answer yours and then we'll tell you the other ones one.
Speaker 4: At a time.
Speaker 3: Running back, Yes, So this this feels like now I'm going to I'm going to cheat a little bit on this one because I think that Savian Hyder could be Did we not.
Speaker 4: Do this one already?
Speaker 3: I feel like we talked about Jordan Marshall because I feel like I've gone through this Savian Hyder thought process all we talked about. Okay, Okay, So I feel like Savian Hider by the end of the season could be taking on a bigger.
Speaker 4: Role in that Michigan offense.
Speaker 3: And so Jordan Marshall maybe the guy who's getting half the carries, but you're you know, you're splitting him.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to kind of hedge here a little bit and say because of that, this is number three for me, where because I think there's a real possibility that Jordan Marshall himself is ten carries for forty seven yards against Ohio State something like that, where it's not you know, it's not it's like Chernobyl, not great and not terrible. That was three point six yards per carry at Churnerobyl. This would be four point seven yards per carry for Michigan in Ohio Stadium where you're not winning the game there, You're not losing the game there. It's it may be it may be that save Vann Hyder has eighteen carries that game.
Speaker 4: And so I'm going to hedge a.
Speaker 3: Little bit to protect myself from your malfeasans and you're dastardly.
Speaker 4: What have you.
Speaker 2: That's crazy because the last time we had Jordan Marshall against Peton Pierce, you hadn't number one.
Speaker 1: All right, here's one for you.
Speaker 2: Indiana wide receiver Charlie Becker m HM against played Devin Sanchez last year. It did not go great for Charlie Becker versus Darmade Matthews. Yeah, this year size versus size.
Speaker 3: Sorry to be clear, it did not go well for Jamaine Matthews against Charlie Becker.
Speaker 2: Yes, so yes, this year, Whier State goes to Indian, they're gonna be throwing the ball, trying to get some big chunks downfield.
Speaker 1: Who knows what the running game for the Hoosiers are gonna look like.
Speaker 2: Charlie Becker, They're gonna need him step up, Devin Sanchez. Can he shut him down?
Speaker 1: Where does this sprank?
Speaker 2: Is it more important than the Ohio State linebacker against the Michigan running back.
Speaker 4: So that's a layered and nuanced question.
Speaker 3: And here's why because last years as the season played out, that was maybe number one on the list. I mean, as as the season played out, at least in terms of negative outcomes for Ohio State, that might have been the single biggest negative outcome for Ohio State, that big play at the end of the game. So this year, I think Ohio State's defense I'm not expecting to be quite as good as Indiana, as I'm not expecting Indian to be quite as good as they were last year. So I'm gonna say that that game is probably a little higher scoring this year than it was last year. So it's probably not a thirteen to ten kind of so it's not necessarily one where the one big play completely swings things, and you know the one, the one fourth down where you don't make it, the one long pass that you know that that doesn't necessarily completely swing the game.
Speaker 2: I find you you're downplaying all of these so that you can continue to push them down.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm pushing this down. I think to number two on the list.
Speaker 1: I still number two.
Speaker 4: I think this is still number two. It's just, yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: This is still because I said, like I said last year, I think you could make a very compelling argument that this would have been number one on a lot of combinations of five significant matchups. But I'll say number two just because you know, if Charlie Becker wins that one really conclusively, then that you know, even if this is a game that's twenty four to twenty one instead of thirteen to ten, if he has one hundred and fifty yards and two touchdowns, that swings that game. If Devin Sanchez can really lock him down. You know, Indiana does not have They've lost several of their other key offensive players from last year. So you at this point don't want to say, well, they're not gonna be able to replace him, because we have seen that they have been able to replace guys and have been just fined. But I'm gonna put this one number two because I think it's one where if one of those guys conclusively wins that matchup, that could swing that game, and that's going to be a game that could very well be really key to if only one of those teams makes that game makes the playoff.
Speaker 4: The team that wins that game probably is the one that makes it.
Speaker 2: So that's number two for you. Here is the next one. New Michigan defensive end, John Henry Daily transfer against Philip Daniels, Ohio State right tackle.
Speaker 4: I would like to change some of my earlier answers.
Speaker 2: Just so people know what John Henry Daily did in the Big twelve a Utah last year, forty eight tackles and a half tackles for loss, eleven and a half sacks, matched up against Philip Daniels, who should be.
Speaker 1: Better this year.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you're looking at it a one v one type of thing, I think a lot of people are gonna give Michigan the advantage. Now we've seen other players transfer from the ACC the Big twelve, right, and that the production has been diminished.
Speaker 3: And he's had he had a serious leg injury miss spring ball. We don't know what he's gonna be. I believe he's here this week, right, isn't he one of he's one of the guys. Yes, he's only had eleven and a half sacks and seventeen and a half SAT tackles for lost once, which that's basically not at all if you.
Speaker 4: Think about it, really like more than us.
Speaker 3: Right, he is someone who when I saw him in the portal and Kyle Weddingham's Michigan's coach, I kind of went, uh oh, that's that's gonna be problem for Ohio State, and it's gonna be problem for a lot of people in the Big ten if he's healthy. And we're sort of at this point, we're sort of reading tea leaves because he didn't play in the spring.
Speaker 4: But that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: So it's like you could see it taking a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: The fact that he's here is suggestive that, Okay, he's gonna be good to go at the start of the year. You're not You're not bringing a guy here if he's not going to be out on the field until mid October or something like that, So that that tells me he's going to be healthy at the start of the year.
Speaker 4: And if he's healthy at the start of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen over the years and achilles injury is you can not be one hundred percent you know, tough. Forland, for example, after his achilles injury, was not quite the same player after that. I think, Man, remember when I put the Jordan Marshall Payton Pierce thing forth.
Speaker 4: That's why No, I think I put it forth. I'm pretty sure if you go back and check the tape.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I put the Charlie Becker thing because I had the Charlie Becker match up third.
Speaker 4: I remember very clearly that I had that because I should have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel I feel really unprepared for this, this show that I was forced to come in blind for. And that's that's on me. That's my failure to prepare, failure to prepare. Tony is preparing to fail.
Speaker 4: I heard that somewhere.
Speaker 3: Man, I really want to put this one, but I'm scared about what else is coming next where it's going to be. Uh, you know, Cam Coleman against or Jeremiah Smith against and it's like, hmmm, well that's not really four or five. I feel hemmed into having to put this four. But really I think I'm going I have to leave myself. I have to leave myself something.
Speaker 4: Because I think you can.
Speaker 3: Here's how I'm going to hedge this, Tony, like a pro, I'm going to hedge this. You can help out with tight ends. You can help out with you know, hey, tight end can stay and back can well John Haynick Gay was playing for in a different.
Speaker 4: Conference last year. You can.
Speaker 3: You can help out with a tight end. You can help out with a running back. So really the individual match up here, Tony, I think it may be little misleading to call it an individual matchup because it won't be individual. So based solely on that, if it was an individual matchup, I would put this right at the head of the list.
Speaker 4: But based on that, I'm gonna put this forth.
Speaker 2: You know, I think we're gonna have to stop doing these shows because you've you've broken them.
Speaker 4: Game theory, Friends, game theory.
Speaker 2: Next one, Tom Michigan quarterback Price underwent against Ohio State safety Terry Moore.
Speaker 1: A little bit different.
Speaker 2: You know this is one where certainly Price Underwood is gonna want to throw down field Ohio State, Terry Moore.
Speaker 1: Is gonna want to you know, eliminate keep that from happening.
Speaker 2: This is quarterback versus safety is more of like an abstract kind of situation.
Speaker 1: Quarterback versus right right, but also.
Speaker 2: Can be the difference in operationally who succeeds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I can either put this one the matchup of Michigan's quarterback against Ohio State number one or number five on this list, which puts me in a great position not knowing what else there is. If it is Joe versus the volcano, I'm going to punch you. I'm just like you know, I will turn the camera off so there's not video evidence, and then I'm going to punch you directly.
Speaker 4: In the face.
Speaker 3: I think I'm going five with this one. And here's why. Because Michigan can win the game against Ohio State without throwing the ball deep. Ohio State can win the ball, win the game against Michigan without having Terry Moore have two interceptions. Whatever, Michigan is going to try to win the game, throw it. You know, they're saying all the right things about Bryce Underwood. Bryce Underwood is here this week, which tells you that they're positioning Bryce.
Speaker 4: Underwood as a as a leader.
Speaker 3: I continue to say, I'm not writing Bryce Underwood off, but we haven't seen it yet. And we have seen Michigan win lots of football games over the years without great quarterback play. We have seen we have seen Michigan win football games against Ohio State without.
Speaker 4: Throwing the ball a lot.
Speaker 3: I think Bryce Underwood, it's entirely possible that Bryce Underwood is a key player in the Ohio State Michigan game this year with his legs.
Speaker 4: Because you've got back the.
Speaker 3: New offensive coordinator for them, he came comes over from BYU. There was a lot of QB run in that offense. I think you may see Bryce Underwood making more plays with his legs this year well.
Speaker 1: And then also Terry Moore, does he come up at that point?
Speaker 3: Is we're projecting that he's the deep safety, so maybe he's out of the play a little bit more. And this is more of an Earl Little matchup where you know, Earl Little's playing in the box a little bit more, or Jaylen McClain's playing in.
Speaker 4: The box a little bit more.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to talk my way out of putting the Michigan quarterback versus Ohio State at the bottom of my list. With with all of that hedging, I feel pretty proud of myself right now, but I'm bracing myself for whatever the last the last matchup.
Speaker 2: You're going to list here, I think you're gonna be okay, Okay, And that is Ohio State wide receiver Jeremiah Smith against Oregon cornerback Brandon Finnie. Okay, who may be the best corner in the car for instance, And this one is being played at Ohio State.
Speaker 1: We know we've seen some big receiver.
Speaker 2: Games, whether it's Oregon and Evan Stewart against Denzel Burke in twenty twenty four. Jeremiah certainly in the Rose Bowl, I had a big game. The big first half kind of disappeared.
Speaker 3: In the second half, if I recall when they were up by thirty five points.
Speaker 2: Yes, so Jeremiah Smith versus Brandon Finnie, two of the premiere players athletes in the Big tim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I'm okay with this.
Speaker 3: This is one where if I had to go back and reorder things, I'd probably shuffle some things around a little bit, But I'm okay with this being number one on the list because we have seen we have seen Jeremiah Smith against Oregon.
Speaker 4: We have seen little guest shot from Tim may there. Oh yeah, we we I.
Speaker 2: Think as always with Tim May.
Speaker 3: We, I I can see I can see this being a legitimate number one on the list because Oregon and Ohio State the I don't have my copy of Pick six previews here right now.
Speaker 4: It's over on the over on the table over.
Speaker 3: There as I'm doing research for some of these some of these teams. But he has Brett Siancia has Oregon number one, Ohio State two. I mean that that is that very well could be a matchup we see three times this year, at least two.
Speaker 4: I would probably take the over.
Speaker 3: One and a half on Ohio State Oregon matchups this season. I think that that's one where it's going to be. That's that's another one where I don't think that's going to be a thirteen to ten kind of game this year. I think that's a game where you could you could expect, you know, at least in the twenties and you know, maybe a thirty something to twenty something you're going to have to throw the ball. Jeremiah Smith is the guy who is going to be the difference maker for Ohio State. And as you said, that is that is a matchup of two guys who could be first team All Conference players and who going head to head in a game that could be a number one versus number two kind of game. Absolutely, I think could be. It could be a very legitimate number one. Even if you had given me all of.
Speaker 4: The even if you had told me all the questions on the test while I was taking the test. No, no, this is not.
Speaker 1: An open book test. This is you gotta be prepared.
Speaker 4: So an open book test. You see the answers. I'm just looking to see the questions.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 4: This is just when I give you the answers, they changed the questions. This is.
Speaker 3: This is as as as as someone said at one point.
Speaker 2: So you've got a number one, Brandon Finney versus Jeremiah Smith, Number two, Charlie Becker versus Devin Sanchez, number three, Jordan Marshall versus Payton Piers.
Speaker 1: Number four, John Henry Daily versus Philip Jamiel.
Speaker 4: That's that's the one.
Speaker 3: I would move up up the list if I had this to do Oliver I at least at least three, at least three and maybe two.
Speaker 4: I kind of want to.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to see him against Oklahoma and see what he looks like against good opposition this year, to see if he's twenty twenty, you know, twenty twenty five John Henry Daily, or if he's a little lesser than that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I would, I would have that ahead of the Jordan Marshall, Peyton Pierce one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think one in five makes sense to me. Bryce Enderwood like quarterback versus safety or quarterback or is like quarterback versus anybody. It's a little bit more abstract, so it's like it's not as he's not just going against this one guy. So it's harder to quantify that matchup. But how would you rank them? No knowing having more information to being.
Speaker 1: Smarter than Tom getting these rankings. You're like watching this year like Tom, this is this is ridiculous. Just listen, just study this.
Speaker 3: How did you not know that John Henry Daily was going to be the next name that he said?
Speaker 4: Okay, how did you not anticipate that?
Speaker 1: So I hate that thumbs up.
Speaker 2: If you're watching and if you enjoy these shows where we have Tom blindly ranked things and you enjoy the fact that he does not like these shows. Let us know we'll do more. Is there something you want Tom to blindly rank anything? Pop music, TV shows, Tom loves TV.
Speaker 3: Shows, pizza styles, pizza smiles.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, anything like that, anything pertinent to what this show is all about.
Speaker 1: Noises, background noises, What's time?
Speaker 3: On the Buckeye Weekly podcast, every background noise is number one?
Speaker 4: We know that.
Speaker 1: Tie one tie. Sorry.
Speaker 2: So as always as they saying, you can find the said Buckeye on centers dot com, sign up salo to us day. We've got a thriving community going. Did I just see Chuck on Bucks Walk there, guys, he's everywhere.
Speaker 3: He needs to do the thing where he's like walking down the stairs like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So again, please find u stayday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a ton of stuff from Bigton Media Days Ohio State on Wednesday you.
Speaker 3: Should get on Thursday blind rank to days Tony Quick.
Speaker 2: Wednesday wand Thursday two. Today, Well, who knows what I'm dropping this. I'm dropping this later today or early early.
Speaker 3: Wednesday to blind rank the days you could drop this show anyway.
Speaker 1: This is not it's a terrible premise. Thank you all for tuning again time we'll talk to you all later, No.
Speaker 4: This time? What up? Nothing away? Don't no one tell me I wish you'd never been nothing m M.
Speaker 3: If you could tell me lots more all night, we can steal currently tonight