Speaker 1: One thing about this geen is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 1: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 3: So just thank you, give me are your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 4: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion.
Speaker 5: Put a small soft time they get up people, what they want to.
Speaker 6: Die in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them.
Speaker 5: Come, this ball's gone.
Speaker 6: You ready to go?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 4: Hell old time to grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show.
Speaker 7: And now your host of Dodger Talk, Tim Kats, Now that's.
Speaker 3: What the Dodgers' offense is supposed to look like. Hi, everybody, and welcome into postgame Dodger Talk here on AM five seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this glorious Wednesday afternoon. The cloud that burned off right at first pitch, the sun broke through right when the Dodgers' offense started to get going and picking up right where they left off last night. Fifteen runs on eighteen hits, and today they tack on more twelve runs on seventeen hits in a twelve seven win over the Miami Marlins. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the number. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We got plenty of time for your phone calls between now and the bottom of the hour when we turn things over to Petro some money. As the Dodgers get the three game sweep over the Miami Marlins. They've now won five straight overall on what was a really good home stand for the Dodgers. I mentioned it last night. I mentioned in the Clubhouse Show just a little while ago. Last night was one of those get right games for the Dodgers. This guy's struggling offensively, maybe not filling it on defense, the pitching staff having their ups and downs, the bullpen being asked to do a lot. Last night was one of those games. Everything went right. Matt Sower went the five innings to help out the bullpen. The Dodgers erupted offensively. You're starting to see Mookie Betts swing the bat. Andy Pojez, I mean somebody, this guy is on fire. Do not touch him because you will get burned. How hot he is right now and hopefully he stays hot and you're seeing a Dodgers' offense last night. Just get back on track, get right, as they say, Well today it was a continuation of that, and even more so for a Mookie Bet and a Max Munci who hit his first home run of the season. You heard Max in the clubout show, ecstatic, just had a smile on his face the entire time, messing around with Davivet saying the Dodgers' clubhouse. Certainly, a mood can change when you hit a home run, and when things start clicking at the plate, and when things aren't going right and you start the season like Max had one hundred and five played appearances without a home run, you start feeling it mentally, emotionally, on and off the field, and to hit a home run, he rounded.
Speaker 5: First and just kind of threw his hands.
Speaker 3: Up in the air like, finally, yes, that's it, a home run, Finally I can get going and got that monkey off of his back, so to speak, and can go on now and be the Max Muncie where he knows he can be offensively and what we've seen him produce offensively for this Dodgers team. Year after year, it's a get right series for the Dodgers. There's no doubt about it. The offense is clicking. We saw some really good defense, and the pitching the last few games has been really good for the Dodgers. And today spotlighted by what Tony Gonsolin did in his return. I don't think you understand how good he was today. And I'm not gonna temper it either by saying it's the Miami Marlins. It's a last place team. Look at Sandy al Contre yesterday, a Cy Young Award winner a few years ago, Tommy John surgery. He was making I believe, his six or seven start yesterday. He still doesn't look right. He's still getting his stuff back. He is still trying to work his way back from Tommy John surgery. Because just because you're cleared, just because you're activated off the injury list, just because you made some minor league rehab starts, and the calendar tells you you're good and the doctor tells you you're good, you still have to get your stuff back. You still have to get that feel back, You still have to get your pitches back. You still have to get your mechanics back. You start have to get into a rhythm and build yourself up. And yes, you're cleared and you checked all the boxes to get back onto the field. But then there's the whole emotional hurdle of coming back from an injury, whether it's a knee injury, whether it's a foot injury in Freddie Freeman, and for this case it's Tony Gonsolin and Tommy John surgery last year. He could have gone, he said in his own words to David Vasse on Monday Night on the Dodgers pregame show, that he could have pitched in October. Could he have been successful. We hope he would have been, but the Dodgers elected to just keep him shut down and let him get read for twenty twenty five, and then a back injury lifting weights in the spring training derailed his start. He would have broke camp with this Dodgers team and bet in the rotation to start the year, but he wasn't. And so now we finally get the debut today of Tony Gonsolin. And while it took a few extra weeks for him to get back out under the mound, I'm not worried about that. Because what I saw was Tony Gonsolin dialed in mechanics, his pitches, everything looked really good in six innings of work. It's almost like Dave Roberts was noster damis. You know, knew what was happening before it happened. Calling his shot yesterday, Colin, he didn't he say yesterday? He said he expects Yeah. On the postgame show yesterday, Dave Roberts said he fully expected Tony Gonslon to give him six today and wouldn't you know it, the Catman went out there today and pitched six innings for the Dodgers, gave up three runs on three hits. Kyle Towers proved to be a thorn in in the backs of the Dodgers today as Kyle Stowers was four for four with two home runs and four ribbies. He drove in four the Dodgers or the Marelands seven runs in this game today, including the two run home run off Tony Gonsolin with two outs and then Stowers and RBI double in the sixth inning off of Tony Gonsolin. So the Dodgers today got a really impressive performance from Tony Gonsolin, just what they needed and quite frankly impressive in my eyes, because it is his first start back. It is his first start knocking off the rust from twenty twenty three, missing entire year, And I think more importantly, the emotional and psychological hurdle that he got over today was massive. Now he knows, Okay, I can go out there. I can throw my fastball. I can throw all four pitches really well, my four seam fastball, my splitter, my slider, my curveball, all my pitches I can throw really good. And that splitter opponents only hit below two hundred against him. That's his best pitch, his knockout pitch, his strikeout pitch, and today you saw him throw it for strikes and get swinging missus. He had seventeen swinging misses today from the Miami Marlins. It was exactly what he needed and what the Dodgers needed today. Six strong innings from a starter and from Tony Gonsolin. Now something to build off of and something to feel positive about again. Psychologically, you feel good, you know your pitchers are back, your mechanics feel good. I'm assuming he feels good physically after the game, or else we would have heard differently when he talked to David Vasse in the clubhouse and the pitches were working. And now that he gets it all underneath his belt, he knows that he's paying free. He's not having the arm problems like he did in twenty twenty three. He's over that emotional psychological hurdle and he's ready to go the rest of twenty twenty five, hopefully knock on wood God willing injury free for the catman.
Speaker 6: Tony Gonsol.
Speaker 3: I love the new look, the shaved head and the full beard. I love it looks good. Tony Gonsolin's velocity was back as well mid nineties with the fastball I mentioned in the Clubout Show. The first three batters he faced six strikes eight pitches in the first inning. That was it, and he got some help from Michael Conforto on a running catch the first at bat of the game.
Speaker 5: But then in the second inning he started pitching backwards.
Speaker 6: What does that mean? Pitching backwards?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh, count you start mixing in your off speed pitches. So the first pitch of it at bat is an off speed pitch, a curveball, a slider, a split finger, and you throw it for a strike and as Freddy Freeman said in the postgame show, David ask him, what did you see out of Tony Gonsolyn. Freddy Freeman said, the exact same thing. The fact that he was already pitching backwards in the counts like he was today, and having that confidence to throw the slider, the splitter and the cur for an o pitch for a strike opens up everything for a pitcher and it at bad and gives them an advantage over the hitter ahead of strike in the count. And now that you got the hitter thinking, okay, is he gonna continue to throw auspeed pitches? Which one is it? I'm sitting fastball. That split finger looks like a fastball. The slider's got a lot of bite on it today, and you're just a mess at the plate. And Tony Gonsolin's got you like a cat with a ball of yarn for the cat man, just playing with you. And that's what he did today for six solid innings for the Dodgers as they get the twelve seven win over the Miami Marlins eight sixty six nine eighty.
Speaker 6: Seven two five seven.
Speaker 3: Squad to the phones before we take a break, and we hear from Jose Mota we'll also here from the manager Dave Roberts as well Maxwell and Austin.
Speaker 6: Maxwell.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Hey, Tim, I'm doing okay, I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: It was a good win for this Dodgers team. Maxwell, it was a good series win for this Dodgers team. Is finally the guys are healthy, Tommy, I've been a little banged up injury.
Speaker 5: We found out after the game. Wasn't in the lineup.
Speaker 3: But the big three finally playing together in that lineup together, and we're starting the three and see the three of them start producing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yesterday I called my shop for Max. Today I called my shop for Max Monthly actually to hit his first home run and he did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good to see him get a home run. Max, Well swim that silver Hamill appreciated. Checking in from Austin. It was a big home run for Max. You can see the excitement, you can see the relief coming off of him when he hit that home run. And on the flip side of it, I think of some of Bat's this homestand where he thought he got it and hit it right to somebody in the outfield, where he swung a pitch and struck out and he just is staring at the ground and you can see the frustration you feel for a Max mount see, because you don't want to see a hitter go through this because the entire time they're thinking, this is ever gonna stop? Am I ever gonna get out of this? Am I destined just to be a one ninety four hitter? Is this what my career has come to? It's a lot to start thinking that, and then you get the pressure of the fans. Come on, man, what'ch you're hitting? Where's Max Munsey's power? Where's the silver hammer? All that starts playing into things. And for Max Munsey to hit a home run today, it just gets that pressure off of his shoulders, and I hope for him it just unlocks something for him offensively at the plate. And we just see a lot of production from Max Munsey because to think about this offense with Otani, bat Freeman, Taeoscar Hernandez pretty impressive, right. You got a Will Smith always dangerous, Andy Pajez on fire now and you throw in a Max Munsey starting to turn things around offensively, getting maybe back to the Max Munsey that we saw from the last couple of years. Again, that elongates this lineup, and it makes it so hard to pitch to one through nine. You just make it so there's no breathing room for a starting pitcher. You make it so there's no breathing room for a manager when something goes wrong to go to the bullpen because you're like, who do I go to?
Speaker 6: Lefty? Righty?
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter because I got Otani coming, It doesn't matter because I got red hot Andy Payez coming up. You just have no moves to make on the chessboard if you're a posy manager, because the Dodgers control the board with their offense and their lineup. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seven. We'll take a break, we'll come back. We'll get to more of your phone calls. We'll hear from Jose Moto, We'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: A busy time here.
Speaker 3: On Dodger Talk, as it continues on this Wednesday afternoon. Dodgers beat the Marlins twelve to seven here on a FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: All love those things.
Speaker 7: Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: We're streaming online.
Speaker 5: We stream every game too.
Speaker 6: Come find it.
Speaker 7: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Here's a two blow on one strike pitch and this one is hit. Weldes center failed and is heading back.
Speaker 4: Toward the wall in his god home run number one.
Speaker 8: As Maxwell gets go swing the silver hammer for the first time this season and the Dodgers on the board won nothing.
Speaker 3: Max months. He did it his first home run of this season. Dodgers and All had two home runs today. Freddie Freeman went deep a two run shot in the six twelve run seventeen hits, seven hits extra base hits for the Dodgers today as they crush the Marlins twelve to seven. Tony Gonsolin gets to win. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to an FHI seventy LA sports dot com keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jelers gift card just by predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Let's check out with Jose. It's time to go around the horn with Hose Moda A lot to get to Jose. Ah, I'll start with Tony Gonsolin Man. Impressive to see.
Speaker 6: Him out there.
Speaker 5: I mentioned it.
Speaker 3: The physical stuff was back, obviously, but I think emotionally, psychologically, he got over a big hurdle today being out there in the mount for six innings.
Speaker 2: Hey man, he looked like daking out there that we saw in twenty twenty two going sixteen to one pitching in the All Star Game at Dodger Stadium and Tony in total control. I mean, Tony got a good glimpse of what he needed to do that first inning one He only threw eight pitches, as he mentioned, Tim, But I'm talking about the defense, you know, knowing that.
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 2: It's not about how hard I can throw today, It's about spotting the baseball. He was sin fational, spotting every pitch as he mentioned, pitching backwards and then stealing some strikes with that curveball, and better description than Freddy Freeman. When he had to face Tony Gonsold you couldn't find and just how hard it is to lay off that curveball. Then he got to change your eyes to the high fastball, to the dotting fastball that he has spotted so well today, and to the splitter. So happy to see him. He's a big part of this whole thing. And he was pitching like a guy who was on a mission to stay in that rotation.
Speaker 3: Speaking of an emotional and psychological hurdle, getting over. Talk about what Max Munsey is feeling right now as opposed to what he was feeling a couple of hours ago just by hitting that a home running in the second inning.
Speaker 2: Relief, Yeah, total relief. Talk to months a lot last road trip, and we're talking about eggs and velocities and balls that he had been hitting right at the end of the last homestand and it continued on in the following road trip and just where balls are just not falling. And we know that, you know, players today do paid a lot of attention to how the ball's traveling and how hard they hit and all the kinds of things and that related to hits. Right, So the portions were not on his favor, but we know eventually if you continue just put together good at bats and you and Davis said, do a good job just mentioning his game and how important the walk is for Max Munsey. The more he watched, the better he is. And right now we're seeing a Max Monsey that he's walking, making better contact, using the big part of the field. That to me is the one thing he has to really stay with and not looking for home runs, looking for good contact and singles and good things happen for him.
Speaker 5: Baseball is a funny game. It's a long season.
Speaker 3: Sometimes fans panic, sometimes talk show host panic when a thing's not going right or a player's not going right at the plate or on the mound. But to see Mookie Betts doing what he's doing now, hits in four straight games, two for four last night, again, two for four today, driving in runs, ta Oscar Hernandez, staying hot, Andy pot Has stay in the hot. And then you add in Max Munsey hopefully turned things around this lineup pose I think for the first time. I hope now moving forward is kind of what we expected.
Speaker 5: How potent they can.
Speaker 2: Be, Yes, definitely, when you consider that today he Showey is not a huge factor, but you have the bottom of the older Austin Bonds a very great job today and the way he may contact got on base. But you're talking about a lineup now is he describes him that has really stretched out. I think Pahasa's resurgence has really helped everything else. It was great to see him hitting in the middle, but he's going to be a bigger influence in the bottom third when everybody's back. See without Tomomy Edman today, but for Mooki bets. Going back to Mooki, you look at his swing. You look at all the the mans that are putting on his body right now. The fact that this guy lost close to twenty pounds the beginning of the season, it was going to take him a while to catch up. And the loopy swing we saw, say ten days ago, is disappearing more. Line drives, more staying inside the ball. He's gotting better rotation, you know, spin off his bat. And Mooki is a guy that you know, he started out for this home stale was just moving guys over in a sack on a fly ball from second to the third, but making good contact and stay within himself. But I think overall we're gonna see that swing, the big whip where he starts pulling the ball, you know, provides a lot of power, but at least he's off for a good start, because he says inside the ball very nice the year in the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: While this road trip won't be the Pirates and the Marlins, they will see the Marlins for three, but they're going to catch an Atlanta Braves team that is struggling right now, Jose, And they're gonna get an Arizona Diamondbacks team that is under five hundred a hovering right around five hundred right now, but they've lost.
Speaker 6: Seven the last ten.
Speaker 3: This could continue to be a nice little stretcher for the Dodgers to continue this momentum and who knows, maybe get a little bit more separation in the division.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be an important stretch because you never see the Brace for a second time. A much different and confident team. They know a lot about you, you know more about them. Same thing new with Miami. You know they're gonna have a little vengees and you know Clay mccollon knowing the things they need to do better. And then the Arizonadamers are just waiting for that calendar to turn to see the Darers face to face, because we know it's going to be a fight all the way to the end. Three teams involved, but certainly is better to go on the strip on a climb the way the Diaries are playing after being shut up by Paul Schemes and company that one night, and the confidence level and things that we're talking about just two weeks ago, with the defense and the base running a little by little, they're disappearing and things are really catching on to just playing a more solid game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you figure the defense and the base running blunders weren't going to stick around and happen too many more times than like you said, they have. They have put in the rear view mirror for has happened over the last couple of road trips. Jose, we appreciate it, and we'll check with you on Friday.
Speaker 2: You got it, my friend?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: There he goes Jose Motas the Dodgers get the win over the Marlins today out of Dodger Stadium, twelve to seven.
Speaker 5: The final.
Speaker 3: Tony Gonsolin the win, Cal Quantrell gets the loss. It's Tony Gonsolin's first win since August twelfth, twenty twenty three, against the Colorado Rockies. As the Dodgers now twenty one to ten on this season, they have a game and a half lead over the Padres, who have won two in a row, including a win over the Giants today down at Petco Park. The Giants starting to play five hundred baseball they're now two games back, and the Diamondbacks, who are in New York right now taking on the Mets. As I mentioned, they have lost seven of their last ten going into play today, they're sitting at fifteen and fourteen on this season. Deacon and san Diego joice this here on Dodger Talk on this Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Deacon?
Speaker 1: Good are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. Dodgers on a roll right now, winners of five in a row, starting to pick things up and feel good about them.
Speaker 1: Great win, great win. Hey, My question is about Conferdo and what is our realistic expectation of him? Because like we give we're gonna give Munci a chance, like he's going to turn around. We know his track record even CT three, like he's down, but like we know him, But like, what is our realistic expectations of Converto because it seems like he's just been giving chance after chance after chance, and it's like like I don't know, I just don't know, Like I don't like I feel like he's just not working out well.
Speaker 3: He's got, you know, not even ninety at bats on this season. I appreciate the phone call, Deacon. You know, this is a Michael Conforto who got off to a good start and it's certainly cooled off offensively. Has not had a hit now on this homestand in the five games that he played, including the last three against the Marlins, he is struggling. There's no doubt about that. This swing, he's trying anything at this point. He went to the torpedo bat on this homestand for a little bit, for a couple of at bats, you hope he can get out of it. I'm not sure what Plann B is or when Plan B starts for the Dodgers in left field and Michael Conforto, you think about the outfield situation right now. You're not taking Taoscar Hernandez out of right field. He has certainly surpplanted himself now as the everyday right fielder Andy pa has. You're gonna have a real hard time going to Andy Paz and telling him you're not playing center field anymore, or.
Speaker 6: You're not in the lineup today.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be in the lineup every day, if not close to every day. And he is your center fielder, So left field Michael Conforto left headed bat. Is it James Outman they bring up and put in a left field I don't think that's necessarily Plan B right now. I think kek Hernandez has to be an opportunity they maybe go to. I think with Chris Taylor, you've got to give some more at bats to cet three to see what he can do. Maybe maybe you move Tommy Edmond out to center field on a more regular basis, and you do move Andy Potter has the left. But again, po Haz is really starting to turn into a pretty good center fielder. He's playing better and better every single game, taking better routes on the ball, making better plays. Had a ball go off his glove today, But you know what that's that's one of those door die plays. As they say in baseball, you're gonna make a.
Speaker 6: Door die play. It's a ball at a low liner.
Speaker 3: You're gonna make a diving catch on your belly, and if you make the catch, it's a sports center catch. If you miss it, it's probably getting past you and going to the wall like it did. It's a door die play. You take a judgment on that and you try to make the effort. I don't knock him for going and try to make that diving catch. It just didn't happen. It gets buy him. But overall, I just have a problem with my with with saying, all right, if we're not gonna go with Michael Confordo and left field, we're just gonna move Andy Potter has to the left.
Speaker 5: I just don't like that thinking right now.
Speaker 3: I think he's solidified himself as the center fielder and you gotta make another option in left field if that's the direction they go. But keep in mind, it's a month into this season calendar wise, I know they've played some games before that. You're thirty one games in, you're twenty one to ten, and Michael Confordo has played in twenty seven games and he's got what eighty seven almost ninety at bats now.
Speaker 6: On the season.
Speaker 3: It's not a huge sample size once you start getting to one hundred and twenty five, one hundred and thirty at bats.
Speaker 6: Okay, maybe we revisit.
Speaker 5: What's happening with Michael Canfordo on the left field.
Speaker 3: I hope for his sake, he can flip the switcher offensively and maybe this road trip will be a good chance for him to turn things around.
Speaker 6: At the plate.
Speaker 5: Well, that's right.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts certainly a happy man after the way his Dodgers team has played on this homestand after dropping the series opener to the Pirates, the Dodgers, well, it was Paul Skins, by the way, on Friday night, That's really who it was when they lost to the Pirates Friday.
Speaker 5: They lost to Paul Skins, who was dealing.
Speaker 3: They come back and win Saturday and Sunday against the Pirates, and then they get the three.
Speaker 6: Games sweep of the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 3: Dodgers back atop of his place, let's hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts postgame.
Speaker 5: But I said twenty didn't.
Speaker 4: Have more butterflies when you to stay and stay down.
Speaker 9: I actually I wasn't. Tony's He's got a different brain and you can take it any way you want. I just think he's just very just kind of confident in who he is now as a person as a ballplayer. Moment is going to get too big for him, And yeah, I mean, it wasn't like this first outing and however long and he just took it in stride and really pitched fantastic today.
Speaker 7: Do you feel like your office is in the pred for for lying pitches like this?
Speaker 4: A love support team pitch free we see.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 9: I think that with talent comes expectations, and we certainly have a lot of talent in our lineup and throughout our lineup, and I really do believe that. Yeah, we're putting some runs on the board being the starter, but it's just collectively the team at bats, I think that we're having and we're really there's just no let up, and you know, we're creating a lot of stress and we probably don't get enough credit and taking a lot of criticism than we probably deserve given the production.
Speaker 6: To one very close win and then two lopsided wins.
Speaker 9: Can you size up this series?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 9: I think that the outcomes this homestand couldn't have been any better for us. You know, our only loss came to one of the best pitchers in baseball, and then to come back and win five straight. Our bullpen is reset. Finally we've got Yamamoto, Rochi and May going and so I think that going into ten in a row, I think that we're in a really good spot. And yeah, I mean close. One could win either way the first one, and we came back and found a way to win it, and then we made hay and performed well in the last two to win three games.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's Dave Roberts certainly a happy manager after a five to one home stand. A day off tomorrow, they'll head east and they'll start their ten game road trip, ten games in ten days, beginning in Atlanta on Friday. Real quick, an update from Oklahoma City. TRIAA comets Clayton Kershaw on the Mountain in a minor league rehab start. Was supposed to go yesterday. Because of the weather, they pushed it to today. He's pitching against the El Paso Chihuahuas. They're in the second inning. He's got a couple of strikeouts already for the future Hall of Famer, who is up down to sixteen pitches and an inning.
Speaker 6: And two thirds.
Speaker 3: Looks like so far so another strong outing for Clayton Kershaw. Earliest he can come back is the middle of May, but he has started that process of working his way back to this Dodgers team.
Speaker 5: So that is good news for Dodger fans. That's gonna do it for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Colin Ye, Thanks to jose Mona, Thanks aw you for being a part of the show. Back at It on Friday, No off night Dodger Talk tomorrow. Instead, it'll be Clippers basketball, see if they can stay alive in their series.
Speaker 6: Friday.
Speaker 3: We're back at it Moroco Casino, Dodgers on dec Ad three, First Pitch, four fifteen from Atlanta, Dodgers and the Braves Petro. Some money shows coming up next, Let's just say