Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech right here on KLA k F I K T L A C. I kind of just put those together. KTLA's tech reporter Rich Damiro morning, Rich.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning you, Amy, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I got to tell you. I wish that I had asked you about this before I left. I took a converter over to France and to England. Yes, but it wasn't a converter, it was an adapter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a big difference. One melts your curling iron, the other does not.
Speaker 1: Yes, So if you're going you can plug it in if you have the adapter. If you don't convert the power supply, you fry. And I have one of those. It's like a blow dryer brush all in one. Yeah, turned it on. I went, wow, that's really seems you have one. I'm like, oh, that really seems to be high powered. But it's working and we're like okay, and then and then it was dead. So that got left behind in Paris.
Speaker 2: But I'll ask you, thankfully, thankfully for most folks that are not bringing a blow dryer or one of your hairstyling tools. All the rest of the stuff pretty much works nowadays, like all the gadgets. Yeah, but yeah, when you're bringing those are the last holdouts. If you're bringing like an iron or some sort of like steamer or hair appliance, that you do need an actual voltage converter for.
Speaker 1: Yes, everything else worked to just find so I yes, it was a win analogs all at the same time. Okay, let's get down to business. I got this email about a Serie Voice settlement, and in fact, I've made a note to myself and said, ask Rich if this is legit, because we've been talking about how some of these settlements are coming out and some are and some are not.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this stems from a ninety five million dollars settlement with Apple. A couple said, Hey, my Siri automatically activated and listened to what I said, and not only did you record that conversation, but you shared it with third parties and you sold advertising against it. And of course Apple has denied all of this, and I actually do not believe the advertising part, but the third party part, for you know, quality assurance and you know that kind of stuff, probably was true. But Apple has definitely cleaned up its game when it comes to Siri and maybe it even more private. But yes, you can get up to one hundred dollars. Look in your email if you get something from Lopez Voice Assistant Settlement dot com. It is real. You can go in and I thought it was actually tougher to claim than it was. But if you go in there and you have that claimant identification code and your confirmation code, you basically just a test that your device activated at some point, and you can claim up to five devices. That's one hundred dollars total, twenty dollars per device. Do it. It's not too much money. Ninety five million dollars is not much for Apple, but hey, it's better than nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay. So is it like if I've had several phones over the years or if I have fivell iPhones all at once.
Speaker 2: No, it's one. It's several phones over the years. So it's one one activation per device. So this has been This was from twenty fourteen to twenty twenty four so in ten years. And it's not just phones. It's the iPhone, the iPad, the MacBook, the Apple Watch, the home pod, Apple TV, and others. So I would say that if you have those devices in your house. I am sure that that has happened to you, because I know it's happened to me, and so you can pretty much attest to say, you know, as long as that's happened to you, you can claim this money.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, that's good news. It's not a lot of money, but every little bit helps. Right. There's a new phone we're switching over from from Apple to Android. It's the new Galaxy S twenty five Edge.
Speaker 2: Tell us about it. This is the theme for twenty twenty five thin phones. So the S twenty five Edge is brand new from Samsung. It is super thin, super light. Went hands on with it in New York City. Five point eight millimeters thick, one hundred and sixty three grams. It is significantly lighter in your hand and thinner than any phone that I've used in the past. Still has high end features like a two hundred megapixel CA's powered by the latest processor, comes in three colors. It's got all the things you need, except the battery definitely takes a hit because it is smaller, So we don't know for sure until we review this. If the battery doesn't last as long it's a regular phone. We're not sure. Samsung says they're using some AI smarts to make the battery last longer. But it is available on May thirtieth, and it starts at eleven hundred dollars. Lots of pre order deals to get that. But Apple is expected to come out with their thin phone later this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's my issue with the thin phones that it always concerns me is if they're too thin, are they going to bend like if you sit on it, or so if you put in your back pocket and sit on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question. I did not test that when I was going hands on, but I am getting a review unit and I will test that. I think that's going to be one of the biggest things people are testing when they put this thing through its paces. It is made of titanium, and I know that Samsung is not a silly company, So I think they tested to see if people put it in their back pocket and it crumbles, and I hope that they have figured out them a way to make this phone not do that.
Speaker 1: What would be really cool is if they made bendable glass.
Speaker 2: Well, they have that, they already that the.
Speaker 1: Phones huh, well, maybe they're okay.
Speaker 2: Maybe they you know mix these when it goes in your back pocket, it bend's just slightly, you know, turned curves.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll have to wait and see. So okay, and then let's talk Airbnb. Uh we actually looked at Airbnb for our little trip, but didn't ultimately use it. But it looks like they're they're doing a little expansion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Paris is actually one of the top cities they mentioned yesterday. They had this big event in Los Angeles and they mentioned Paris as one of the top cities for Airbnb. And they are expanding beyond rentals and now they offer services and experiences in the app, so you can book your room and then you can book a chef, a massage, personal trainer, makeup artist, all kinds of people to come to your room and offer services. And then they also have experiences, so instead of taking that double deck or bus tour of the city you're going in visiting, you can have food tours, art classes, nature hikes, and locals lead you in behind the scenes tours and so it's all part of their way of differentiating, adding more options to the mix. And I'm telling you, if you are a makeup artist or a hairstylist or a masseuse or a personal trainer. Get on here and offer up your services. They are accepting applications. You do have to be vetted, but this could be a very lucrative side gig. If people start booking through this in a big way.
Speaker 1: That's going to be interesting to see how that works out. The mastage therapists come into your room gives me a little bit of hebgb's but.
Speaker 2: Well, they already do it. They've got zeal And soothe which are very popular, and it's already a thing. So I know it's got to have a little faith in humanity, I guess. But we're in the news, so it's tough.
Speaker 1: To do that, all right. KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro also the host of Rich on Tech on KFI that you can hear every Saturday from eleven to two. You can follow Rich at rich on Tech. You can also watch him on KTLA, follow him on Instagram as I just mentioned, and he always puts everything that we talk about on his show and on KTLA on his website and you can get all that information at richon Tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: Thank you Rich, Thanks Amy, all right, have a great day.