Speaker 1: It's a good I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Go to the Night, the Fantasy, Safan Louis Field, History, the Gold tell you.
Speaker 1: John, I'm doing great, crazy day. But uh, I'm glad I got a chance to sit down because we have a lot to talk about today, Steve fall Uh And actually it should be like a two parter and we'll explain as we get into this.
Speaker 2: Yes, it should be because today we're talking about Survivor series nineteen ninety one, and this Survivor series really connects to another event this Tuesday in Texas, which might be voted the worst name ever for an event, But we will get to that possibly in another episode down the line.
Speaker 3: But today's Adversaries ninety one.
Speaker 2: Before we get into anything, what was it like having these events either on Thanksgiving or this one on Thanksgiving Eve? What was it like for you because everyone's away for their family, so what Thanksgiving things are actually happening backstage to feel like you're celebrating, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got used to it. This is that's what we did, and it's like anything else. And it's been pretty much the story of my career is that when you work in entertainment, television or news, whatever it is. You're working on holidays and weekends and that's that's just the life. And you have crazy hours. You're either waking up too earlier, you're staying up too late, but that is part of the business. And you know, of course we'd gotten used to doing this event on Thanksgiving Day and this this was different because it was Thanksgiving Eve, which meant we'd all be home for at least the ones that lived in Stanford, because you know, a lot of times these guys really didn't even have the chance to get home. And of course, as you mentioned, this Tuesday in Texas was an event that was going to be taking place not many days later, so uh, you know, it was just it was just part of our life, uh. And uh it was nice in that sense that I remember we did get to because we would take you know, the jet and be back sometimes sometime in the middle of the morning, but you'd be uh, you know, back home the next day. So it was in a lot of ways, it was just another one of these pay per view events. And it's funny as I look back to those thinking today, you know, is that they they added this other event, you know, within a week and everybody's like, what the hell, Oh my god, how are we going to do this? And uh, you know, today it's just common practice. It's just kind of the way things are that they have them basically. Uh you know, sometimes more, but one or two a month. So but back then, you know, we had the Big four basically, and it was the way the whole season went, if you want to call it, and so uh to be but to be able to turn it around and do this other one, uh, it was a it was a big ask back then for everybody involved.
Speaker 2: Are you being fed though, you be is there a turkey, is there stuffing? Is there mashed potatoes backstage? Or is that not happening?
Speaker 1: No, that was always the case. Especially they'd have a big spread, a big turkey spread for those days and you know, it wasn't the greatest food in the world, but you did appreciate the fact that they didn't know it was a holiday and you did have turkey and all the trimmings. So uh yeah, that night there was pretty It was the same thing because, as I said, you know, maybe a lot of these guys maybe weren't going to have the opportunity to get home to spend some time with their loved ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always thought that was strange when you look at wrestling, and even as a fan at the time, you're thinking, how do you convince your parents on Thanksgiving Day? This one of the Thanksgiving Eve, Thanksgiving Day every year for the past couple. Hey, mom and Dad, I know, Grandma and Grandpa are coming over and they drove all the way from Florida to see here.
Speaker 3: But can we watch Survivor series? Is that all you think?
Speaker 2: It's the hard sell for regular people having Thanksgiving versus just a single person who's gonna watch wrestling.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you know exactly the way we tried to sell it. It was no different than you know, watching football on holidays, and this was another event I must see. So I think that a lot of people that was part of the holiday for them. I'm gonna have this, you know what? Great? How what could it be better? What could be better? Then you get to have Thanksgiving, which is a happens to be one of my favorite holidays because you don't have to bring gifts necessarily. If you're going to somebody's house, you could bring a bottle of wine or something like they say, don't come with your arm swinging but for the most part where you're not worrying. You didn't have to watch shopping and get special gifts for everybody you show up. Just stuff your ass full of food all day, loosen the belt, and sit back in the couch and watch, you know, football, or watch of course the Survivor series. What else would you want to do. And it's it was a perfect holiday, So that wasn't a tough sell for people who are who were wrestling fans at the time.
Speaker 2: It's just so funny because for years it was on Sundays, and then now it's on Saturdays, and then first so long it was just like it's a Monday, it's Thanksgiving, it's on Thanksgiving Eve. There was no rhyme or reason on when these things landed. It was just a weird situation for cyber series anyone. It's funny because doing research for this event, Okay, first I want to do because I want to, oh, be a great idea to connect this to this Tuesday in Texas. I have a double bonus episode. But this Survivor series, any review you find all negative. There is not a good thing to be said about the Survivor series. The commentary is so all right. I watched it, and I'll tell you what. I watched it half cocked. You know, I'm doing the things I'm looking at it, maybe folding some lawn and do playing.
Speaker 3: With my kids, but I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: What it's consistently great about it is the commentary of Bob Heat and Grilla mo on Soon. Any garbage could be on television, but listening to them talk, I was I was like, wow, you know, I could see why someone could think this is bad, but also commentary is just so good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're just so good together. I was watching some of it, and you know, the comments and other stuff with Gorilla and Bobby, and I remember one where, you know, Bobby's commenting how you know he keeps going in and out of the ring, and Gorilla says, so, I'm gonna I'm gonna throw you in and out of this arena if you don't shut up. You know, like the kind of the stuff that he could say to him. And that's why that dynamic works so well. I've mentioned that before, because Bobby he would let Bobby go, go, go, go, mouthing off, mouth and off, and then it was like the big SmackDown and then Bobby would have to retreat and kind of get okay, get back into the good graces of Gorilla and they could continue on. And that was one of the one of the wonderful parts of their of their dynamic that made it work so well.
Speaker 3: So you agree though that you think this is a terrible pay per review.
Speaker 2: Now I'm interested to see your perspective on this because you worked there.
Speaker 3: Why do you feel like it is well?
Speaker 1: And I think that you have to couple this with this Tuesday and Texas, which we'll be doing another episode on, which is a whole other hit to dive into. But overall, and you know, I made my living shilling events. That was pretty much what my main job was there. And as I've explained before, you know, Superstars and Wrestling Challenge were actually just one big commercial that was it was all those were promotional tools to get people to go to the house shows, and of course, as we started with the pay per views, it was all about getting people to buy the pay per views. And this event Survivor series for a number of reasons, which I will talk about, was one big supercharge. Wrestling Challenge is really what it came down to. And it's funny I've heard people make comments of you know, that Undertaker Hulk match show was you know, the third match in and that's you know, because Hulk Hogan wanted to be home with a family, Like, come on, that was not it at all. It was brilliant in a sense. Okay, we get this match over early, we create all this controversy, and then for the rest of the pay per view we get to sell what's going to happen next. So I mean, that's what it was all about. This was a gigantic promotional event, and I think a lot of people saw through that. And we had some other moments which are worth discussing. But when you come down to it, and I was never a huge fan of these events. When you had four or five, whatever whatever number of teens you would go in there because after a while, there's only so much you can do with them, and depending on their level of skill, whether orut those match were matches were entertaining, and sometimes you would it would be, you know, two of the guys were good, but the rest of it was just you know, slop, and so I was never a huge fan of it. And then of course they threw in this match with the Hulk and the Undertaker with all the idea of what was going to happen next, and to try and do this event. Can we turn around an event within days and capitalize after over what happened previously these days before, which which was you know, a predecessor to to what they do even today, where you can have an event like this and then build something up and just a few days later, we're going to get some kind of end to it, some kind of thing between these two guys where you get it settled. So it was, you know, they were trying things out. They wanted to see can.
Speaker 3: We do this?
Speaker 1: The event didn't do great anyway, if you look at the buy raiate it was down from the year before. And then this Tuesday in Texas, which took place just a few days later, five days later, you know, or I guess six d it was what Wednesday to a Tuesday. I don't know the exact dates how it played out day wise, but to turn something around that quickly, you know, I didn't make some money off, but I think the buy rate for the second event was about half of what they did. I think it was three hundred thousand something like that. And then this day this said, the event This Tuesday in Texas did about half of that, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, you were paying half. It was twelve ninety five for this Tuesday in Texas. It was twenty seven dollars and ninety five cents for Survivor series. But yes, that is the number one feeling I felt too when watching it for the first time ever.
Speaker 3: Watching it and you're thinking.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's gonna be great, and you think, well, hoping versus Taker is is now okay whatever, or it ends. But this event, when it even starts, When this event starts, the first thing you see is Jack Tunny promoting.
Speaker 3: This Tuesday in Texas. That's the first thing you see.
Speaker 2: He's talking about the most famous, one of the most disturbing moments ever, the Cobra of biting Macho Man's arm on television.
Speaker 3: It's one of the greatest things.
Speaker 2: I know, we'll do like a full episode about just that moment at some point. But the outrage that comes forth from this from fans and being just this is crazy. What were your thoughts on this? Did you get so much pushback from this event? That's why you had to, you know, ban reptiles from ringside?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course, which which they were hoping, which they were hoping to God that it would happen, and it did. They knew that men people are going to go out of their minds, and they knew that right away just by the reaction to people at Ringside and that arena, when you know Randy was was locked up with the cobra. I I first of the couple of things, I want to give credit to President Jack Tunney because I think it really if you think he was the perfect person to play that role he and he pulled it off really well and with that authority and you know, the belief and the everything that went with it. But I just find it so amusing that, you know, all animals are all animals are banned from Ringside and one of the reasons with the cobra is because well, yeah it was a cobra and it and it bit Randy Savage, but it was the fact that well it was supposed to be the venomized and and that's like one of the things he mentions in the in the banning is that it didn't turn out that way because Randy Savage ended up in the hospital. That's why we're really outraged here so.
Speaker 2: That's venomized too, venomized king bit one of your employees that you're in charge of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm telling you that it's just the absurdity of it all. And the you know, were the banning animals. It's good thing that you know that undertake it didn't have a buzzard that needed to be ringside because we would see that later. But uh, you know, it just just went with how just insane all of it was. And if you didn't catch on right away, because wrestling fans have always been smart in a lot in many part heart of this, and I think that early on they realized we're we're getting a little bait and switch happening here, guys.
Speaker 3: I think, though, how do you.
Speaker 2: The king Cobra thing is one of those moments where you always hear, like, who you don't want to act with animals and children? This king Cobra cannot be controlled to get off, macho man. It's one of the most disturbing images you've ever seen. The Camemean Gang close ups of the snake. And I even sent you a link. I watched the pre show, the showdown that you hosted in a bow tie nice tucks looks great, looks great, and they show.
Speaker 1: This that's the one Bruce Fritchard ruined, by the way, but that's another story.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, we'll talk about that later off camera.
Speaker 2: Vince though, screaming, got a bridge of famized, got a bridge here, and then they then you come back and you're like, yep, it was venomized. It had venom inside.
Speaker 3: Somehow.
Speaker 1: It's evil. Yeah. Yeah, how he survived we will never know. But you know, Jake talks about though that that because of all of the Rigamoreau, the stress that Randy put him through about you know, a brother, I want you to put that and I want to see it bite you, you know, and the whole to make sure it was good. So Jake talks about before he went out there, you know with that, with that cobre, he gave it a couple of good you know, that thing was ready to bite anything, and that's why it locked on. It wasn't going anywhere. Somebody had to pay dude.
Speaker 3: It's still where I think it's top.
Speaker 2: That is the top moment, like mankind being like tossed over a hell in the cell, the through it and thumbtacks is just on the level because he controlled. He decided to do those things. He decided to go up there. This snake is like, I'm gonna eat your and everyone. He's gonna love it. Yeah, well we'll do We'll do a full episode later on about why match him in and Jake had to happen, because obviously Warrior. We did a whole episode about it about war being fired by fitsg Man after SummerSlam ninety one, which changes everything about this event. But the first thing we see again some ever series ninety one is Jack Tunny promoting this Tuesday in Texas saying that I know everyone wants Machaban to be reinstated, but he won't be. But he will be this Tuesday in Texas, and Jake the Stick is out of his Survivor series. Match imagine you bought this for Jake. Yeah, they but they do promos, They do promos. They still come out and cut Hey, by the way, this Tuesday in Texas.
Speaker 3: Hey, this Tuesday in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and you know that said justice was out too now, but at least people had an idea of that before they got out the wallet. But I also wonder about, you know, the whole thing that you know, Sid had the damaged elbow. I think that was the injury that they said was inflicted upon him. But you know, I have to wonder about that. You never really knew what was the work and what wasn't because Sid also loved softball, and it has come out, I mean really that when it came down to it, that Sid really didn't care that much about the business so much, but he knew it. It was it was a great income. But you know, you got to imagine an event like this, it's on Thanksgiving, He's not really He's just going to be a team guy whatever. Oh man. But I know nothing about that. I have no idea if any of that may have have been true. I just knew that that he liked softball a lot, and there were a few occasions that he had talked about where you know, that was something he wanted to do more that week. If you listen to the podcast I did with him on Prime Time with Sean Mooney, he mentions his his fondness for softball. But that's uh, we digress. We get off the track here because then you have Jake Roberts, and everybody thinks who's gonna fill Sid's position, Who's going to be that team member. Actually, who who else could it be? Steve would see that man man. Yes, the heat that those two have, but what do they do? Randy Savage Jake Roberts has gone to so it's is gonna be less team members. Okay, I guess I already paid, so I'm gonna watch and see what happens. But what the hell?
Speaker 2: That's what makes this some ever series so hated because you have people being pulled from it because you're right again, I watched that showdown with you hosting it, and I've watched Random Superstars and Trustan Challenges get Ready for this, and they acknowledge on television multiple times who is going to replace Sid. It becomes like a theme through episodes of Who's going to replace him? Even even the w WF does a reinstate Macho Men hotline. Well, you could pay seventy nine cents to call the WWF to tell you that you want Macho Man reinstated. I did the math. Seventy nine cents in nineteen ninety one is only a dollar eighty five and twenty twenty five as record, this not a lot, but still then you pull apply.
Speaker 1: That by thousands though, and it does add up and.
Speaker 3: You pulled him. You had a doll and then you pull him.
Speaker 1: The balls of these people because they do what they're doing all along. We even had you know, the magazine was uh, we were putting all kinds of stuff in there, and and going into this, they knew what they were going to do. Once Sid was out, there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about, you know what, getting Randy in there. And I'm sure there was, but I think that they found the advantage of Okay, now we get we can build this up and then it could help us at the next event. So it really was and to the WWE's credit at the time, you know, they're trying all kinds of different things. I said before that you know, Vince had a great team of promotional people behind it. It wasn't just they weren't necessarily you know, guys that were wrestling people. They didn't come from wrestle. They came from promotions and what got people's butts into seats and what would get people to buy a pay per view and spend almost thirty dollars to get it. So they were experimenting to see how people would react to this stuff and as I said, was this was laying the carpet here as we would see the Golden Carpet as it would transpire in the years to come of how they would do these events. So it was it was an experiment. They were willing to risk, maybe some fan hire to get there. But you know, overall, I don't think people it wasn't a point where it was a disaster and people were going, I will never watch the WWE game. There wasn't that. They may have been disappointed, and we'll talk about the big main event, but overall, you know, I think that it was a time where you know, they were there was a lot going on, and they were trying to find ways to keep that audience and keep people coming.
Speaker 2: I like that because you know, you go back a year ago, it's Servery Series nineteen ninety. There's a little like blurb that Satday Night's main event is going to be Tomorrow night. So they already obviously taped this event and it's WARR versus Billion Dollar Man. So during the Spivspery is nineteen ninety, it's barely there, but they acknowledge it for like a split second on the bottom of the screen that war is gonna fight Million Dollar Man. And I don't know if someone said, like, oh that worked, Like we had an event before the other event that we could use to promote this. So maybe you see a ratings pop you think we can pull the same shit off but with a pay per view instead, you know, on NBC, let's charge people pull ninety five. Because I'll be honest, it's not that big of d But if you're going to clearly start this event off with a commercial for this Tuesday in Texas As as like me convincing my dad to pay for this or someone, I might be a little upset.
Speaker 3: But the event's not terrible, but it's not great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and our motto really was you can't promote enough. I mean, for God's sake, people had to see my mug three times in every single show of promoting something or and then that would include a special report with Gene and all we were doing was sell it. And so it was something that people had very much gotten used to. But yeah, to just kick it off, but in a way that was creative, I thought, you know, have why not start with the with the president the authority of the WWE right there at the beginning telling you what you know, what's going on, because you all want to know. There's all these questions out there, we've got to get them answered. So what we're going to get the already on right away and just set it up at the same time selling it up.
Speaker 2: True, true, I do like the first match though, like they'll listen to these people. Got Rick Flair, who just came in to the WWE just a few months before that. He's got the Mount Tidy Bossi, Million Delaman and the Warlord. They're taking on Roddy Piper, who has a storyline with Ric Flair, Brett Hart, who's the storyline with the Mount Virgil, who's a storyline Million Dela Man British Bulldog storyline with the Warlords. Like everything matches up perfectly here. And Rick Flair does have we talked about on a Rick Flair episode. He has a championship belt that they are trying to blow out, but yet it have been informed it's a ww tag team title, a little blueish and it's missing some things on the side. So in reality, he's holding up a tag team title at the Farvesteries in front of the audience and they're like, I'm sorry, I'm not legion ado with champions.
Speaker 1: I don't think we get it too close to that camera, mister, because people like you would recognize what the what the heck it really was, but you got the point what he was trying to shoving in and hold Cogan's face. I'm a real champion and creating that. But as you mentioned that, that was a surprisingly good match. I think going in I didn't expect it to be much and and especially you know the warlord in there who couldn't do a tremendous amount because all those muscles got in the way. But uh, it really it it was surprisingly Yeah, a good a good match. The problem is, I said, then you get these other ones and then it just keeps going when you've just got these guys and it's the storyline of them, are you know, tough, tough to get over. But you know, they did have some drama that was involved. We'll talking you know, the Rockers and uh and then that that that big brawl where they just it's actually one of the best matches and then they come out and disqualify everybody and uh yeah, it like everybody's like wait a minute, it's like the best thing we've seen all night and then you just ding ding ding ding because he's reason he wins because he's out of the ring.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, everyone gets disqualified pretty much except I think Bulldog and Warlord get out and then the rest is yeah, yep, uh it made Rick for me if storyline. It made Rick Flair look like, oh, this guy's important, Like he just won this match against all these other people. Okay, cool, because that becomes a theme throw the night. It becomes like the Rick Flair Show as time goes on in this evening. But you know, it made him look great, I guess. But there's a there's an image online which is so funny because there's a promo before Thisever series where Flair is on the funeral parlor with Paul Bear and with Hogan and he's yelling a him like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, how along I've waited for this moment. He's like, I'm the real world champion.
Speaker 2: That's the first time they ever crossed paths, and that's a huge moment for professional wrestling because this event really starts off the idea of, oh shit, we're gonna get a Rick Flair whole Cogan storyline. It's gonna be on pay per view and it's gonna be at Russell and eight, which we had a whole episode about as well, where not does does.
Speaker 3: Not happen but that it doesn't work. Nope.
Speaker 2: The image though, is uh Rick Flair opening his robe, but it's blurred out because the Championship, so it looks like he's flashing.
Speaker 1: Which we're only doing for legal reasons. Yeah. And then uh and then the big the big cover part with you know, Taker and the ern and uh then they're all beaten up on the Hulkster, which yeah, so uh you know, uh, generating the heat, trying to make that happen and build that up, and as we talked about in that episode, uh, you know a lot of people were surprised that it didn't go from there and really build up and and something that people were demanding to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I do like that funeral parlor thing because it's ye Taker ripping the ross off of Undertaker. Roddy Piper and Machimen are on commentary at the time they leave the booth, the grab chairs.
Speaker 3: It's not smash hit Rick Flair. He runs away. They start smashing to take her and he's just playing it off. Like he's a zombie. He can't feel it like that.
Speaker 2: You're really setting up because on television, Undertaker at this point undefeated. But if you watch like house shows, he's losing all the time. But if you're watching actually television, this guy's undefeated. And it's the gravest challenge because I again, I've watched that pre show beforehand that was free on the cable Guide television channel if you had it back in the day, and it's you and it. All it is is promotional tools for Taker in Hogan in really hitting home that the theme of this is the gravest challenge, and I do like that you talk about promotional and the w that to me is great, like this isn't just Survivor series.
Speaker 3: This is the gravest challenge for Hult Kogan.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I And I also want to say that I loved watching this because now this is a point where Undertaker has really embrace that character and and you really see him coming into his own You could see that confidence that that he had and uh in who he was in the ring, and the whole way that he was methodical, almost robotic, the when he would do something and he was really getting falling into that that character that would you know, carry him for the next umpteen years here the decades that really, but he before that, you know, it was kind of he was just I remember him first coming in and then when he was that, you know, the Undertaker character, and of course he needed Paul Baer to help sell that, but and he was still very understated, which was perfect for what he was doing and his development. But he was there and and you could see it. You could feel that presence of that character was going to be really strong, and he was he was getting really comfort ble in it. And I love when he uh we talk about the match, but when he was he's leaving and he does the thing with the the whites of his eyes as he you know, goes down and he's walking down this thing and he's carried. He's staying in it because he knows the camera is right there, and I was just like, man, he is really he is feeling it, and that that was I love watching that back.
Speaker 2: He drags the World Championship two and that was like the first time that people weren't wearing it or holding it up.
Speaker 3: He's I won this thing. That's great. I'm gonna drag it.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was it was good. It was amazing stuff.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Undertaker, this next matchup, I really want to ask you if you know anything about this. So the match that we see on television is Hackstar Jim Duggan, Sardant Slaughter Texas Tornado in al Mattotor, Tito Santana. They defeat Colonel Mustafa Berserker Hercules in Skinner. Okay, that's the match we get originally, though, in this matchup, there's three people missing and they've been replaced by other wrestlers.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Undertaker, this one jumps on at me.
Speaker 2: Ricky the Dragon Steamboat at this point is pretty much a dragon person is supposed to be on Jim Duggan's team, he gets.
Speaker 3: Replaced and it's Tito Santana.
Speaker 2: But yet, the story that I've read for years is he was asked a job to Undertaker on television, not at a house show on television, and he was supposed to lose again a week later to like really built Survivor series.
Speaker 3: What do you know about this?
Speaker 2: Because it seems like maybe he's just like I'm a Dragon, I'm not doing much here.
Speaker 3: I can go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I become a world champion or a tag team champion instantly, which he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know the specifics of what Ricky was thinking at the time. I can't understand why he would have been hesitant because you know, they earned a place to a certain spot, they have a certain on to say of how their character is going to go, and uh, doing something like that takes you down a few pegs for sure. And UH, if if that's the decision he made and then went to management and told those guys, now, I'm not going to do it, which uh, you know several of them had done well, then you're gonna you're gonna pay a little price for that and uh, and that's what would have happened. But I I don't remember, you know exactly how that situation went down with him, But I do know that those guys, uh, you know, you've got to keep your place in the pecking order so that you can have more opportunities on these cards. And when depending on how it goes down, uh, you know they're going to have the center of the ring and that's that's that's more difficult to swallow. But if it's something else where, you know, it's a count out or some kind of dq or dirty dealings. But uh, I know with Undertaker, they just wanted him to be a force, that he was unstoppable. So it wasn't going to go down where it was, you know, unless it's somebody like Hulkogan, where he's going to have to perform some dirty deed to make it to walk away with the belt or walk away with a victory.
Speaker 2: It seems like though Ricky Steamboat, when he goes somewhere else, it always becomes World Champion, or like another championship goes around his waist, the WWE, or he won the Icy Championship from Macho Man Rustlina three, and then the story goes, he wanted time off because he's having it. He's he had a baby with a child. I can't imagine that went over well. And then here we are now, hey, I don't want to lose the take care. It's like, well we have a history, now you don't. You've done this between twice now. And I'm not saying it's right or wrong to say, hey, I want to protect my character, or hey I want to be home with my kids.
Speaker 3: But if you're in this.
Speaker 2: Business, I can't imagine bensing man and be like, oh that sounds great, Yeah you should do that, Like, oh, you want to the guy I'm trying to build up, you want to not lose to.
Speaker 3: I think we're done here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and that's where you've got the conflict of as we've discussed that you need a great deal of confidence and feel like you're a headliner or at least near the top. And when management comes to you and says we're going to need you to do this to put some shine on this guy, Uh, you know you're gonna the pushback comes because yeah, it's going to come to me at a price, and what do I get in return? That may have been a situation there, and these guys want to want to have, want to live, to try and live somewhat normal lives. And these guys get to a point where they're making enough money or something that they can take a break, but they're all you know, Remember, you're you're an independent contract. You're on your own and if something else happens in the meantime or somebody else steps up and gets over, well you're screwed. So you you certainly have to have that that in your mind that well, if I'm going to do this, I've got to be willing to accept the circumstances that come with it that I may not have my spot when I come back. There's guys that we're doing really well at points and took a break or for whatever reason, got in trouble. But but we're h and you could go for a month or six weeks and come back and they may take you back, take you back, but you may never get past the mid card again. So yeah, it's a huge gamble. And you hear that time and time again from these guys that said, you've got you've got to ride that wave no matter what. You cannot get off the ride. You have to stay on it for as long as it takes you because you don't know once you step off if you can get back on and get back to the place you were. There's no guarantee at all. And we saw that time and time again.
Speaker 2: Oh, endless stories of that, endless, endless stories of that. So yeah, Ricky stinebo quits, so he's not in the Surbarvsaries match anymore. And if I was him, you know at this point he's a fire breathing like character and he carries around an sometimes, but Reptiles had been banned by Jack Tunney, So maybe I that's why he quit, because he was so upset with his alligator and not being allowed to be a ringside Maybia.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Jim and Amvila Knightheart also removed from this match.
Speaker 2: Certain Slaughter replaces him, and on television he's beaten down by the Beverly Brothers and Rick Flair.
Speaker 3: I believe was who's beating him up.
Speaker 2: It's like, but why is this one of those moments where they're like, we need our Heart to be a star, so we remove you from here, or because the Heart Foundation kept breaking up and then getting back. They didn't break up, they would just not be together randomly then back together.
Speaker 3: And it's always like Survivor series would point that out to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think that. You know, Jim had his issues and got in trouble a number of times, and when that happened, you know, then Brett was on his own. We've heard the Road Warriors talk about that before, and where you know, when you were in a tag team like that, you're dependent on other people, that partner of yours to be there for you. You're you're you're one and the same in a sense because the two parts have to work together. I think that they always knew Brett was very capable of being a solo artist for the w WE. Uh, but that that tag team was was really over and at a time when tag teams were a big part of what we did. So, uh, you know, I think that that was a situation there. But you know a lot of there were there was always you can always hear a lot of different stories about what happened, why did this happen? And you know, part of it was could have been from management doing a discipline or whatever. And also it could be the guys just like I, you know, they're genuinely hurt, they need time to heal, uh, or they're in trouble. So it's uh, you know that that went on all the time. That's that, that's the way the roster was. I spent my life repairing all of those uh those cards in the event center. Uh you know where I told you that we had the red phone and it rang pretty much every day where something would be would have to be changed on these cards because of uh, you know, something going on with one of the guys that they had to adjust and get somebody else in there to fill their spots, and then we'd have to you know, fix the event center and and get those out and all the shows again.
Speaker 3: Mhmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this of oarversaries must have been really fun to do. Uh. So Sergeant a Lot replaces him here and he's doing his whole I want my country back type deal because he realized he was a piece of garbage about three months ago at some oversaries, and now he loves America.
Speaker 3: Why would we take them back? I don't know.
Speaker 1: But also Sergeant Slaughter, you got everybody loves yes, I know, but everybody loves to come back, right they they he saw the errors of his ways, and uh it's the old old serge and he loves America and he you know, put his life on the line anytime for his country. And so yeah, I did. I knew that that anytime he wanted to come back, he would be embraced. And we should give credit to Sergeant Slaughter. Uh, just as a worker, because you know, why do you think he lasted so long? Why do you think that he was able to work so much? He was one of those guys that understood the business very well and was smart about it. He wasn't that he you know, let them take advantage of him and do stuff. But he knew the power he had, what he could do to help guys, help give them some shine. And also and sometimes in those cases it helped. It helped the storyline for you, and and and Serge understood that completely. And whenever they needed him to step in, Okay, reporting for duty.
Speaker 3: He turns back in America, he turns back iron.
Speaker 1: So you're still take him back? Then let it go, people, all right, let it go, Let it go.
Speaker 3: You've had some amazing stories today so far.
Speaker 2: And I want to hear some amazing stories about Bull Big Bully Music, who was only around in the w W E for let's see, was it mid was it August to November? He doesn't make it the Survivor series.
Speaker 1: Do you have enough said? Enough said? No? I mean no, there's there's nothing really, there's nothing really to tell.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, hit a bowler getting a bowler hat on and a big mustache.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a whole style of fighter.
Speaker 1: Well, but as we've you know, when we get these gimmicks that they come up with, uh and uh, some of them are wah wah, wah well, huh yeah, listen, hay Tans like Edward G. Robinson, Yeah, what do you think you're Moses now, you know, mister wise guy. You know that.
Speaker 3: Uh it's classic.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work, Yeah, I mean it is. And some of you would just really you didn't always know unless you're talking gobbledly cooker or something that things aren't going to go well. But sometimes you think it might have something. There's a brawler or you know, the the tough but and people just are like, yeah, okay, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah he remembered.
Speaker 1: Think about it. How many people even remember that guy? How many?
Speaker 3: How dare you?
Speaker 1: I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: I want to get all my big bully abusic t shirts out in a second.
Speaker 1: Don't make me and I don't want to, Yes, I don't. I don't have him speaking specifically the character, of course, not the person get me in trouble.
Speaker 3: Hercules that replaced him, and Hercules wasn't doing much more.
Speaker 1: I loves he was.
Speaker 3: He was a guy. He was a good guy.
Speaker 2: But this is one of those this is one of those matches of the graphic pop ups every November for every series, and people just look at it, go look at the faces and look at the characters from this time Jim Duggan startin Slaughter Texas, Tornado, El Matador, Colonel Mustafa, Berserker, Hercules Skinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we move on.
Speaker 2: Though, this is the first Farves series that doesn't have names, you know, the Hulk of Maniacs, the Warriors, the billion Dollar Team. Every year before this, every team had the Rudes or.
Speaker 1: I love them up with us. Everybody had had a team name. Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: Why not this time? You think.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question because I remember thinking, well, how do I promote these guys, you know, and I have to say all their names, and I couldn't just say, you know, before you had the team name whatever it was. But yeah, they didn't. And and one thing that I did like about it when we did have these because it was a showcase where uh, everybody had their fans and whether or not they were at the top of your list, but you you know, you like these characters. Obviously they were. They the ones who stuck around, were over somewhat and it was your chance to see them and uh to be able to give them, uh you know, a shot at doing uh the promos. I like that in these group promos. That made it easier for some of these guys because they'd have two lines. All you had to remember is I go third, you know now, and and don't step on Mooney's foot because he's got to get the microphone over there. I mean, that's it. That's pretty much all you had to do. And uh so it was it was a great opportunity to get these guys out there and and and give them a little shot. Don't think don't think that Pat Patterson and all those guys were and Bruce were watching and Vince and they might see a little something that they do in these that you know, you didn't want them freelancing too much because you need to see that because you'd have guys try and do these big spots and you're like, dude, you can't do that because we had something else planning. You just want you just made that one bigger than what we were at the spot we had going, you know, and then then then you're in trouble. But they would might see something that this guy does. They're like, hey, you know, and he got a good he got a good pop. Did you hear that pop? So, uh it did. It was a chance for these guys to get out there, and it was it was a showcase for them. So there were some positive aspects to it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I was just I loved like the four by four's, you know, you had all these great names. It's the first one that doesn't have that, and in the years before that, a couple of years it's actually Vince mc mann doing the voiceovers, like.
Speaker 3: Those are amazing, and this one is just like the Grievous.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's starting with Halloween when you actually Jack Tunny shows up first and then that's like Halloween.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next up is the world title though it's Undertaker and Hulk Cogan. Undertaker wins his first title he went, making his debut at nineteen nineties for Further Series, winning a year later at Forever Series ninety one. This is where like the myth of Undertaker really takes off for a lot of fans, and he's freaking scary as hell. Yeah, though, what was the demeanor heading into this?
Speaker 3: Were there always planning? Did you always know?
Speaker 2: Okay, next week it's Taker winning the championship and then we have this Tuesday in Texas and where Hogan's gonna win it back.
Speaker 1: Well, as I as I mentioned that, you know, Taker had really come into his own already. And think about this, he's what twenty five twenty six at this time, very young, and he has not been in the WWE that long. But man, he leaps and bounds because he It wasn't just even the character, it was just that people, you know, the way, the way he pulled it off, and people just latched onto that. They I mean, the just the toll of the bells and then like they boom and then then you know, that goes completely dark. And you know, so he was he was ready then, and I said, you know, he had that confidence, he already had that presence. So they knew, they knew he was ready to you know, Vince knew I definitely got somebody here and and another. And another great thing about Mark is that you could work with him. He he he understood the business early on, and so uh you know, and he and he proved that, and of course he would become the the facto locker room leader, as they say, not not too long after once the Hulk was kind of out of the way, and and would be for for decades. I mean, he was the guy and so uh uh he knew it and everybody else knew it, and it was just really a matter of time. It was like, okay, so how do we how do we do this? You know? And uh he also he, as you can imagine, got some opposition from the Hulkster, uh in a sense, kicking and screaming, and of course the controversy surrounding that match and the uh, the neck injury. Uh. You know that some people thought, well, that's why they turned around and gave it back to him. You know, I don't think that was necessarily the case, that the plan. Yeah, but but but there was some controversy and I I'm sure you've heard Mark tell the story about what happened and uh, and it never changed his relationship with the Hulkster change forever. I mean, he did get to see it not too far after the way he tells the stories that you know, of course we didn't have instant replay back then. But it took a few days and he hit. He says that, you know, he had a house event the next night. I mean, these guys had to keep working. But before we even talk about that element of it, Uh, there was a little bit of like Hulk if I want to call it this respect or just his his resistance to what was happening is that the Undertaker, Uh, Tombstone's before then, and and it's a classic, it's a classic Undertaker Tombstone. Well, Hulk pops right up, no sell, no cell, just boom right up. And I'm thinking, now, come on, uh you know, sell it a little. I get I could see maybe you're getting right getting up, but give me, give me the hulkster. Uh you know, the three arm kind of thing, you know, the he he pops right back up and like and you know, and then Undertaker turns around, if you recall, then he's just and then he's used to being able to turn around and methodically go over and cover the guy. And Holk's right there. Okay, So then you have that and then you mentioned okay, then the chair comes in and as Undertaker tells the story that you know he was that you know, uh, Hulk was somebody who didn't for these pay per view events. If let's say it was you know that seven thirty star times, Hulk would be there maybe at four h Mark was said he got there at the arena like noon, and he's and he says he saw that the Hulk Hulkster was there. He's like, that's kind of weird. And the first thing he does when he sees the Holster hoaxes, hey can we talk? Hey, brother, can we talk? You know, and he says, you know, uh, you know, I got this bad next, so I gotta I want to make sure, you know, when you do your thing, you're going to take care of me. And Mark's like, oh, you know there, yes, absolutely, because I pride myself, you know, in how I take care of people. I wrap, I make sure they're they're safe. And you know, as you said, you look at all those nobody's head ever even gets close. He's just that good at it. And when he does that that bit with the chair, as Rick sends that in and did you do you probably did the same thing I did. I had it and I froze it as he goes down and what we're talking maybe a good eight inches here, you know, he even went way as it's it was almost like I don't know how you saw, you know, you could sell it was so far up because he was especially he wasn't even you know, isn't dropping him on the canvas. He was there was a steel chair there so you know he's taking extra precaution. And you know, then immediately he says that when Hulk is, oh you got me, brother, Yeah, you know, and then he's in the ring for ten minutes and uh, you know, and like he's talking and he's you see him with this, can I feel my extremities? It says, and you know, Mark's already gone back and he's freaking out. He's freaking out like, oh my god, I I broke Hulk Hogan's neck the franchise the Golden Goose, I'm dead, my career is over. And uh, you know, he's like, Where's where's Hulk and he's he said, he's in Vince's office on the floor telling him like call my call my wife and my kids, and he's behind you know, he's an area there that with with Shane and he's and Shane's telling him like he wasn't close and uh and then as you mentioned, like after this he couldn't see it, yea and the boys, but the other boys are telling him that we're watching backstage or saying it was not He's never not even close. There's no chance that. So when he did again eventually get to see it and He's like, Okay, now what do I do. I can't go, uh you know, take Houlkster to the showers and uh, you know, settle it. And he and he approaches him and says, you know, I saw the playback. He goes, I see your head. Your head didn't even come close. And he's like, well, you had brother, you had me too high tight. I couldn't, you know, and that's why I had no room to rove and I jammed. And he said right there, because that's all I ever needed to know, and that he totally was you know, he said, I showed respect to him the rest of career. Whenever he was around. I always made sure I was there. But that was it for him, and uh, whatever reason, maybe there was that a little bit of a risk resistance. I don't think that it was a ploy to get the belt back the next week, but it wasn't especially for where where Mark was in his career. It was like, come on, you know that that wasn't a nice thing to do. And that's putting it mildly, you know, in a sense that that was just left up.
Speaker 2: Well, we've heard stories before other wrestlers being like, hey, like triple Ah Sean Michael's looking at the rock and eyebrow thinking, I don't think it's gonna get over. I'm taking a wild guess that it's Undertaker rising up and hope. It's like like, I'm not Hokogan, But any story that really comes out that appears in the seems like they.
Speaker 3: All line around, some lying, some deceiving.
Speaker 2: But as someone who's been on top for so long, I can imagine that's what has to be done. Unfortunately, to continue being the golden Goose. Well, how do you say the golden goose? You have to stomp out the rest.
Speaker 1: You gotta protect yourself, and you know, and I and I remember that. I remember backstage too. All the guys are saying, man, what the you know? But they're not going to say anything to people who really count because they don't want to damage their career. But that was really the feeling backstage was like what what happened? People? Are? You know? People were thinking, Okay, well, maybe it, you know, triggered something because Hulk did have a neck injury, and maybe just the jarring of it. He didn't have to hit his head for it to do the damage. It did. But I think overall, because these guys are professionals and they had taken you know, that move because it certainly wasn't something that was unique to just the Undertaker, but you know, and so they know, they know, and that was that was the feeling backstage. So but you, like you say, you got you got to p checkt yourself. Hulk Cogan openly admits when they tried to unionize that, Yeah, he went to Vince and told him, I don't want to do this because he's I was making all this money. I'm not going to sit there and jeopardize my income. And that was that kind of bit of you're on your own kid. You you do what you've got to do to survive. And he would have never did what he did it did in the world of professional wrestling if he didn't have that mentality. You can't always let somebody step in front of you being you can't always be polite. You got to look out for number one. And he did it and it served him well.
Speaker 2: Right, didn't serve the rest of people around him. But obviously for him, that's what he wanted, that's what he got.
Speaker 3: That's what he did.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, we'll have to wait and see how that turns out for him, but uh yeah, it's then take You're winning the championship and we got Jack Tunney more in this Tuesday in Texas promoting it, saying, you know, I can't do anything about it, even though I'm the president, I can't do anything about it.
Speaker 3: The referee what he did, it stands. I can't change that.
Speaker 2: But I will book a match of this Tuesday in Texas between Undertaker and Hulla Coogan for the championship.
Speaker 1: And then just came up. I just came up with that. So this is what we're gonna do to get this.
Speaker 3: That's how we does it. Everything is like Macha man Jake, like each other.
Speaker 1: After consulted and consulted with ben people and the parties involved. Yeah, there was this is what this McMahon wants us to do.
Speaker 2: There were beakdoor beakers and were we were working hard all night for this, but we made it now and this is where before it was like, Okay, it's happened a couple of times. This is really where this Tuesday in Texas, the series turns into that commercial for it because they won't stop talking about this event because the back cabin is Survivor Series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where we can talk about what we want you to do on Tuesday. Uh So yeah, that's exactly what it all came down to. And as I said, this is a two part series, uh that we're doing here, Steve, because we're going to talk about the this Tuesday in Texas, which was very memorable also for me because a few of the events and it's the kind of a teaser, but my time backstage with the macho man Randy Savage. So we'll talk about that when we get there.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can't wait for that.
Speaker 2: Beverly Brothers, the Nasty Boys versus the Rockers and the Bushwhackers. All you need to know about this matches that it begins the Rockers storyline of hey, Marty actually kicks Sean in the face. He gets eliminated. But on commentary, any review you look up about this, it's girla mon Soon mistakenly not paying attention at all, and he just rare.
Speaker 3: He's like, what's going on? He's like, why Shawn Michael's in his face? Why is he Why is he walking away? He got counted out?
Speaker 1: What's happening? Does that happen a lot? What kind of a teammate is he dude, he's kicked in the face. Yeah, I'll give that to Gorilla. I'm letting that. That's a pass you get set up me. But I love Gorilla, so yeah, of.
Speaker 3: Course, And that's all that match really was.
Speaker 2: And then the main event is Legion of Doom and the Big Boss Man, which who would have had Macho Man take on the Natural Disasters and irs?
Speaker 3: Which could have had Jake the Snake Roberts.
Speaker 2: When we can't get that, the crowd goes home happy the Babyfaces win.
Speaker 3: Is that why Hogan and Taker?
Speaker 2: You think is the third match or that's just the beginning of how to promote this tusy in text?
Speaker 1: Well, that's as I told you. That's was the purpose of it was to allow them to spend the other half of this event plugging the next one. And you know, take it for what it was, but it did accomplished what they'd set out to do. That's what they wanted to do, and they were able to, you know, have the the backstage interviews, the outrage building it up, and it was another way to look at Okay, so how can we promote these things? We can do them within events. But then you got to walk a fine line where people aren't going I'm watching a freaking commercial here, or just what I paid my money for so you can get you know, just set me up to get more from me, and will you deliver next time? I hope so, God, But I guess I'll have to come back and pay a little more to find out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, everyone seems to be happy. But again, the last thing is you're backstage two. You're like, Colgan won't talk to me, he won't talk to me. Guys like, oh, well, I guess he won't talk to you, but it's going to there in your face. Happened a lot to.
Speaker 3: You, actually, a lot of doors slam in your face on television.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't take it personally, Yeah I did. And it's still hurt.
Speaker 2: It still, it still hurts. It was in the notes you wrote, mention this please I want to cry on camera. But the last thing we actually see is how Bobby Haynen earlier was yelling that the whole commania is dead because take your beating for the championship.
Speaker 3: The last thing we see, it's very cryptic, it's very scary.
Speaker 2: It's me Jean, it's it's Taker, and it's Paul Bahert pretty much saying.
Speaker 3: Like, there's Tuesday in Texas.
Speaker 2: And they promote that match, and it's very scary because you see a casket close on the camera and that's the end of the event, which is what a what a happy Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I learned something else today, you're doing an acceptable Paul Bear very nice.
Speaker 3: I love I love him in this.
Speaker 2: If you watch enough wrestling and you watch Paul Bear here, he's living around for a few months, so his character is solely developing itself. He came in very morbid, very like quiet, and now this one he's like, oh, it's like shaking the earn at the camera, dude, this is this is peek Paul Bear.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's that sarbas Series ninety one.
Speaker 1: Though he could he pulled that that roll off really well, and uh, you know, and he had that you know, he had the fleshy hand even when he shook his hand. He was you know, he was a perfect mortician. I would not put it this way. You wouldn't let your teenage daughter near him. I think that that creepy factor that he was able to radiate. So yeah, he was perfect, perfect for that role.
Speaker 2: That was the last time before we wrap this up is though, the ending is your Survivors Series. Last year we had the Grand Finale match where every winner of every Cyvisseries match would eventually go into a final match, the Grand Finale. Good guys, guys, this one didn't have that, but in a magazine months prior, it did promote that Survivor Series was going to have the Grand Finale. But also I used to get Christmas magazines from the ww sent to me in March, so I'm not judging, but in the timing never matched up on the magazine two events ever.
Speaker 1: All right, but let's let's be honest. You WWF magazine was not the New York Times, it wasn't where everything was. It was also a promotional magazine. It just we had people write articles in between merchandise shots. Okay, So if that was that was right, If that was considered your dirt sheet, that you were in trouble.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna call up. I'm calling up the Macho Man line right now and to bednight. The Fantasy stepped in the ring field history up to the Gold and Tub Wie