Speaker 1: Plot Save America has brought to you by simply Safe. Summer travel season is officially here. Don't put a damper on your vacation wondering whether or not you remember to lock up the house. Let a simply Safe system put your mind at ease so you can get back to the good stuff you know. John Lovett set up is simply Safe and we haven't been able to shut up about it for the last ten years. True, but it was easy to set up and you can arm it right from your phone, and it's provided him great security all these years. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs, then ships fast directly to your door. The app guided setup is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring, so you can feel safe and secure this summer and beyond. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to podave America.
Speaker 2: I'm John Favrerum, I'm Dan Pfeifer, I'm John love.
Speaker 1: It, Tommy Petre. We are coming to you from the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago. I think this is the first ever podcast recorded from the Obama Presidential Center. I just made that up. Yeah, but writing Library, I mean it opened today, So that's what I'm saying. It open today, So I think that we Yeah, how are you? It's my nice and it's reallyank you. This is the president beautiful Presidential Reading Room in the branch of the Chicago Public Library. Don't see our book? Yeah, I should probably donate one. You see Dan's book, any book.
Speaker 2: I've heard rumors that our books are in here, but I can't.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see a Life of Pie.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll come back to this. I see what it takes.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see my book right there.
Speaker 3: Oh it's over from what it takes now.
Speaker 1: If you're just listening on the audio, I know this is riveting us looking around at the books.
Speaker 4: Hey, let's let's hey, let's stop navel gazing about the books, start navel gazing about the event.
Speaker 1: So we just came from the event and we just toured the museum for the first time. We're calling a museum the center, the Center, the Center Library. Yeah, yeah, it's I think it's it's the Obama Presidential Center is the official name. And we just we just took a little tour. Would you guys think not of the event, of the of what we just saw on all the all the floors, Stan.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, I would very emotional for us to walk through it and see from the beginning of the campaign through the White House, the good moments, the bad moments. But it's I mean, it's really it's very very powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. What how did you feel about what you tried so hard to stop from happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so poorly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that the beginning of the museum about the ways in which I couldn't prevent this from happening. And as you move up through the floors, I've become more and more excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Every time we went by an exhibit, and wanted to like take a picture there love it would say like no, no, no, this is stolen valor.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's before Yeah, the as you get into the administration, then I feel like I can celebrate. But when it's you know, the sign sealed, delivered speech in New Hampshire, if you're like, well, it's kind of on another side of that.
Speaker 3: But it was weird.
Speaker 2: Me just started yelling about caucus rules. That was strange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super delegates, they're legitimate, the super delegates. It's part of the process. Respect the process, but it's strange to see something set up. It's great to experience it for us, but it isn't really set up for us. It's set up to kind of take people through something they might not know about, and it is set up for a longer timeline. It's set up for people to experience over a very long time. And it is interesting to see things you experienced written in just such a declarative, past tense, like this is what happened, this was the history of.
Speaker 1: This night is history, and it's history.
Speaker 3: We're so old.
Speaker 2: Our jobs in a museum.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is true, Tommy, what you think I mean? The museum's amazing. Everyone's just come check it out. I mean, Michelle Obama talked about how they wanted it to be interactive. So there's lots of exhibits and speeches and stories of individual people, but you can shoot hoops and there's a We're literally in a library where you can take out a book or you can hang out to a picnic. I think the thing that's been amazing for me and emotional is just all the people we've gotten to just run into. It's like, when I go back to DC, you run into a lot of people, and a lot of the time you don't want to run into them. Here, I've run into a lot of people and every time it's like, I'm so excited to see this person. It's a blast from the past. Like Hannah and I we're dealing with a snaffoo on our bracelets to get in and we ended up in a ten minute line behind adamal McRaven and I was like, Oh, Hannah, this is the guy who did the bin laden operation. Like that's a conversation they don't have every day.
Speaker 3: His bracelet was also incorrect.
Speaker 1: That was he was not allowed into the event. Our friend Joshua Dubois who's like, we've known forever who used to play pranks in the office, and one time changed it so my outlook every time I wrote the word the it auto corrected to bag of assholes. He gave the prayer and invocation. I just wanted to say that when Tommy realized this, he didn't think it was a prank. And Tommy's just typing emails and he's like, we're in the Senate office at the time. It's two thousand and six. He's like, every time I write an email, all of a sudden just says bag of assholes. It's like, I don't I'm sure. I was like, almost positive I didn't write bag of assholes in this.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 3: We're not more sure.
Speaker 4: It's like when mad Befoters thought that she was hacked because she had spilled water on her space bar.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was the first story I thought of. And I'm like, and now he's the pastor at this event. Josh walked up to me last night. I said, what's up, you bag of assholes? Anyway, Eddie Vedder was here. He did a musical number with some thirteen to fourteen year old kids. They composed it, they put it together they played it in front of four presidents of the United States. Like the whole has just been it's very cool and inspiring and a home game for us.
Speaker 2: The other thing about the museum just that I think is really noteworthy, is it is about like how people can learn from what Obama did, what people are on Obama did, and do similar things going forward. Like the whole idea is to inspire people to take their community, their country, their lives in their own hands and try to bring change like that. The entire thing, from top to bottom and every place of this is about like the core.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a very young ex president, as he mentioned today, not that young, but young enough, and also started as a community organizer here in Chicago. And so I do think that they were very you know, the the intention of the Whole Museum or in the Whole Center from the beginning was that it wasn't just like somewhere we could walk around and see exhibits or just like a traditional presidential library, but that it would be a place, be a community center where like people can go be inspired to you know, run for off or help their community or And so I really think they achieved that. I love the museum. I mean I went I first game Tuesday with Emily and the kids, brought Charlie and Teddy and they lasted a couple hours before before, Teddy had had a meltdown when he tried to eat the fake apple and the fake oval office didn't go, didn't couldn't eat it, wanted a real apple. Yeah, cried a lot. We left in there. But before that, I do think that the campaign, there's a whole level dedicated to the campaign, and it tells the whole story of the campaign from beginning to end. And the last panel after you watch the video is Grant Park. And the way they tell the Grant Park story is through newscasts from all over the world announcing that he won, and it just like interviews people in like Africa and people in Europe and people in like Selma here and just talking about what it meant to them. And I was just watching that and I'm like, oh, yeah, see, this is a great country and we can like this is we complain about it a lot, and there's a lot of bad things going on right now, but I'm like, this is a a great country.
Speaker 4: The uh, you know, we'll talk about the speech is more, but I was just thinking about nostalgia walking through the museum, and this a poll that came out the other day that said, which of the previous presidents do you think was did the best job? And Obama is the leading president of people who have a positive view of him in hindsight. And you walk around this museum and it has this hopeful view of the country about you know, the relationship between organizing a community and democracy, civic responsibility, empathy, and you know, the old fashioned civic virtues. And I did by myself thinking walking around, Okay, this was and is persuasive to people. And I'm leaving thinking, okay, but let's be honest. This where ope, This museum is opening at a time in which, like Trump, it's part of the speeches, it is part of this event that people are aware of what's happening in the country.
Speaker 3: And like, what are the ways in which this was not made durable after right?
Speaker 4: What are the ways in which either this vision of the country wasn't as persuasive as we hoped it would be, or we did not uphold it and use it to make the best case possible to prevent Trump from winning not once but twice. And that was also on my mind because I'm not a nostalgic person by nature, and so I was sort of stuck on that and think I was trying to like challenge myself to think, Okay, this obviously is a vision that I respect and appreciate. What are the ways in which it wasn't able to fully bring more people along after Obama was gone.
Speaker 1: It's funny that what was stuck in my head before coming here, I was thinking about it a lot, and then having I spent today listening to President Obama and Michelle and going through the center, I think that the answer is, at least their answer is that it's not ever going to be durable, like that is the whole point of not just America, but like human nature, that like, we're always going to have these moments where, you know, people's I talk about better angels, people's worst angels take over and that's in progress doesn't happen in a straight line. And so I think their answer is everyone has to just get to work right it ever has to just keep going and keep and like and don't give into like cynicism and don't you know and don't give up.
Speaker 2: And the first part Museum doesn't actually start with the Obama stories. It actually starts with the key moments in history. They're like the one we're in right now where bad things are happening, you know, whether it or where there are real problems in the country. They're be changed with the civil rights movement, the suffrage movement, all of that stuff, the labor movement, and the I think the answer to that is it's like, at every point it's not always going to be good. But every time it's been bad and we have dealt with it, it is because regular people came together, they started organizing, they started working, they started voting, and they brought change. And that we can the I think the true message of that, so we can do that again. And they didn't write like, obviously this museum was not made for the Trump era. Yeah, because it's going to be around for one hundred years after that. But I like, and this is like always core in what a weh I'm talking about in the Selma speech that adorns the the building itself, is that we are always going to have moments like these and we're going to have to come together to get out of them. And so you know, maybe a few years from now things will look much more like they did in two thousand and eight, and.
Speaker 1: That looked like twenty sixteen. Again, who knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, I think it's the idea that, yes, that is that you step back too, all right, this is this is the path of progress. Two steps forward, one step back. There are times where you where people give into their fears, in their whatever, their smallness. But part of the work of getting out of it is not just stepping back and saying we will come together and figure it out.
Speaker 3: It's like what happened?
Speaker 4: Right, Like, what are the ways in which this vision of America seemed to some people to be either like false or hollow in some way, or you know, not able to be replicated by the candidates that follow.
Speaker 1: Two things. One back to Teddy. It's really cool and a thing people probably didn't know that you could walk into the Oval office and there was a bowl of apples on the coffee table between the two couches, and people would just take them and eat them. And actually, the actual bull that was on Barack Obama's coffee table for eight years is now in this museum because our friend fary Il just had it at her house. Yeah, and now it's here. That's I think, a fun little anecdote people don't know. And two on the speeches. I mean, I literally was just talking to Josh Shapiro, Governor of Pennsylvania, No big deal watch and as I'm talking to and it comes up, She's like, can we go to have some food? Like this?
Speaker 5: Come on?
Speaker 1: Come anyway? He and I were talking about like whether it's a Jewish energy. He and I were talking about whether you know we watched the speech and felt like the reaction to the speaks part of the conversation, like do we think what he was saying is still real? Like that there are that people really do want decency and to bring people together and a politics that just delivers for them. Because it's so easy to see the social media part of politics and owning each other and the viciousness from Trump and the moments I feel myself falling into being a shittier person online, just like dunking on people on Twitter. And honestly, my reaction to Barack Obama's speech was it made me want to be a better person, and it made me want to be more like him and more like civically engaged and to pay more attention to the messages we're hearing out of people like Shapiro and James tallerco. That are asking us to kind of get back to that brand of politics.
Speaker 2: I one thousand percent believe that the winning twenty twenty eight candidate will be someone who offers a version of that message.
Speaker 1: Ye, So to turn the.
Speaker 2: Page on this era division of terribleness for something better.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's more exactly the same as mom. As much as the world has changed people, you know, everyone's you know, we have a lot of callousies and scar tissue over the last decade, but something that is more like that than the liberal inverse of Trump.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I think just the nature of the trip and we've been doing a whole bunch of things last couple of days that I haven't really been on my phone as much. And then where we were sitting, Dan and I were like really trying to get service and then trying to like figure out how to get on the Wi Fi, and it just wasn't happening. And so like I have seen no takes of any of the speeches, didn't know nothing was happening, and it really like I sat there like good, I don't want to know what all that takes are out there of what this event is and like letting all the cynicism creep back in because I felt like you and Mike, it did make me want to be a better person. And Michelle and we'll talk about her speech in a second, but she had this riff in the speech where she talks about how hope is a choice and you know, it can just sound hokey when you just hear it like that, but I think what she meant is like, yes, you can decide that things are going to be bad or that you know it's not worth trying all that, or you can decide like, yeah, things could still be bad. But I'm actually just gonna stop complaining and try and like put my shoulder to the wheel and see if I can make a difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I do think that part of like, you know, what is Trump's skill as a politician, and he can really make people's worst qualities just truer about them. He just has the ability to make something bad. And we have good parts and bad parts in US. I mean the other day I was I was like, you can we go do a tour show in Detroit and we say is anyone here from Michigan, and someone raises their hand and says they're safe, They're from Ohio. The whole crowd like boos them, like fucking crazy the nice agent.
Speaker 1: In every heart.
Speaker 4: But but there is but so like there's this. What I liked about that part of the Michelle's speech specifically is choosing Trump is takes your agency, and it is it.
Speaker 3: We do not have to.
Speaker 4: Ignore people's culpability, the harm of that choice.
Speaker 3: The fact that they could have made a different one, right.
Speaker 4: Like we should remind you we should take people, hold people responsible, and treat them like adults.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 4: One thing that Barack Obama does as a politician is he tries to treat people like adults, and politics that treats people like adults.
Speaker 1: The other thing he does that I think we as a party or sometimes missing, is he is unabashedly patriotic. Yes, and talks about his love for the country. And that doesn't mean he hides the imperfections of the country. He is a living embodiment of the worst stains in our history. But he is patriotic and he talks about the love of the country. And I think people want that, and they want to be a part of a movement that is patriotic. And I was reminded of this when we went to the I to the USA Paraguay soccer game the other day, and like just being with thousands of people chanting USA, USA and like loving their country and cheering for the players, and like the fact that a bunch of them are immigrants, right, And one was like literally like his mother, like the Ben Shapiro's out there calling him an anchor baby, right, and this guy scored two goals.
Speaker 6: Like it.
Speaker 1: Just getting back to that brand of politics is so important. I talked to Jerusalem Dempsis about this for offline this week, and she was saying, there's this I haven't seen it, but there's this whole discourse online around the World Cup where all these people are coming to America and then they're like posting America is really great and people are so nice. Because of everything that they hear about Trump, they thought coming here would be this like dark dystopian and they're like, this is a wonderful country. And I thought about that walking through the center too, and I was like, this is and this has been my feeling the last two days here. I'm like this is a fucking great country. Like it is a great country. And just because Trump is president and we don't like what's happening doesn't mean that we should say all this country sucks now it doesn't. Don't let them take this from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the Yeah, I think like holding just the like, this is not who we are, well, you know, Trump is who we are. But also what the bomber said, who we are to the part where in the speech where he sorty he talked about the two undred and fifteth anniversary, and it just was a small moment for me of just like, there's so much noise around Trump politicizing the two hundred and fiftieth birthday and the UFC fight on the lawn and the Trump rally on the National Mall and the reflecting pool and all the rest, and that's a terrible price just that this is what he's doing with his with this moment, but also the opportunity costs of just like what it would have been like to have literally any other person in that job who just had some modicum of patriotism or respect for the country to understand how to make it a genuinely uniting moment and the fact that he doesn't even have a rhemot.
Speaker 1: It's like it could have been a Republican president, Like I wouldn't have been happy about that, but like could have been a Republican president that brought the country together on the America's too fiftieth easily.
Speaker 4: I have no doubt that George W. Bush's tw hundred fifteth America, I think would have annoyed me in certain respects.
Speaker 3: Sure, but like you look like, but.
Speaker 1: There would have been really nice moments and we've been like, Okay, I feel good.
Speaker 3: It was nice. Also, this s it's a mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. When Obama gave a shout out till he was like John McCain loved this country like I did, like Mitt Romney. You know, there was a nice bipartisan spirit to it that wasn't I thought corny and cliche. Pose America is brought to you by Bombas Summer has arrived, longer days, outdoor adventures, and more reasons to move as the weather warms up, upgrade your go to footwear with everyday essentials from Bombas. Bomba's a cushion where you need it, sweat wicking and they don't slide around so you're not constantly adjusting your socks. Step into warmer weather with the Bombas Friday slides made from ultra lightweight, waterproof Eva material, these sandals deliver incredible comfort without sacrificing support. They're perfect to just slip on and go, whether you're running errands, lounging outdoors, or just want something comfy and casual to wear. I think I've said this before in the show I threw out a bunch of disgusting old socks with holes that wouldn't stay up and were just terrible. I bought a bunch of Bombas and I have not looked back since. I love Bambas. You know what, the no shows are great? You know how like the no show socks which I know the gen Z or not into these days? Well you know what I am. You look stupid in your high socks. You know the no shows they always fall down. The bombas ha these like three little like kind of rings on the back. They keep them up. They never ever fall down. They fall down, and they're thin enough that they get the holes easily. Bombas not so not Bombas. And for every item you purchase, an essential clothing item is donated to someone facing housing and security, one purchased, one donated with over one hundred and fifty million donations and counting. So basically, if you don't buy Bombas, you are stealing clothes out of the arms of people who need them. So don't think about that. Head over to bombas dot com slash crooked use the code crooked for twenty percent off your first purchase. That's Bombas dot com slash crooked. Code crooked A checkout. Pods of America is brought to you by Acorns. If you want to take control of your finances today and do something about the money you could have tomorrow, Acorns wants to help. Acorns is a smart way to give your money a chance to grow. It couldn't be easier. You can sign up in minutes and start automatically investing your spare money, even if all you've got is spare change. The Acorns Potential screen lets you find out what your money is capable of. It shows you the power of compounding and how your money could grow over time. Plus, you can quickly adjust how much you're investing every day, week, or month to make sure you're building towards your goals. No more finance apps cluttering up your phone. With Acorns, you can invest, save, and give your money a chance to grow in one trusted place. Acorns is really helpful because sometimes investing can seem like, Eh, I don't know where to put my money. I don't know a financial advisor. What do I do? Acorns, you just start with even just a small amount of money, set it to a little bit, forget it, set it forget it just happens forever exactly. You're never gonna You're never gonna time the markets people, You're never gonna find the bottom. Just start investing now, keep going, Forget you're even doing it, and you'll be like, WHOA, and hope I save a lot of money. Trump, you know, figures out a deal to end the around War. Yeah, that'd be good. Sign up now and Acorns will boost your new account with a five dollars bonus investment. Join the over fourteen million all time customers who have already saved and invested over twenty seven billion dollars with acorns. Head to acorns dot com, slash crooket, or download the Acorns app to get started. Paid non client endorsement compensation provides incentive to positively promote Acorns Tier two compensation provided potential subject to various factors such as customers, accounts, age, and investment settings. Does not include Acorns fees. Results do not predict or represent the performance of any Acorns portfolio. Investment results will vary. Investing involves risk. Acorns Advisors LLC and SEC Registered Investment Advisor view important disclosures at acorns dot com. Slash Crooked speaking of that, I think we do have a clip from Obama's speech that we can play and then react to. How are you that's it? Tommy does it? Tommy has the clip.
Speaker 7: The exhibits in the center are not meant to evoke nostalgia for some gauzy bygone era, some unattainable past there we can dream about and say, oh, we miss you, Barack.
Speaker 3: They're meant. They're meant to remind us.
Speaker 8: Of who we can be, to remind us of what's possible, so we can forge ahead, clear eyed and confident, and do the work that still.
Speaker 3: Needs to be done.
Speaker 1: I wanted to play that clip because I think he had done a few interviews before today where I think he got questions from reporters that were in the vein of like isn't this nostalgia or isn't this like a long lost era and doesn't it feel like a different reality because of what we're dealing with right now? And he actually wanted to respond to that in the speech. And I think in a way, it's the mission of the whole center, which we were just talking about, and I think they're very sensitive to the idea that this is either a monument to them or about the accomplishments of the administration, or about some Gazi past, and what it is supposed to be is basically like a pep talk for America. Yeah, I wish Wish today was I think a badly needed one. But yeah, I look, I think a lot of people are frustrated that he's not more engaged with kind of like the politics of the day to day. And I think we've even at times express like wishing he was just talking about things. But he talked about the Twin Cities and the way they stood up to ice and came together as a community. I thought that was clearly about this moment. He talked about government is more than one that divvys up the spoils, that punishes enemies, that keeps those that are different from them in their place at George W.
Speaker 3: Bush, He's like, I do not leave.
Speaker 1: How that's how the story of America ends. Like we will talk about Michelle's speech and and then it which is a little more directed at the Trump administration. But I thought Obama was very much commenting on the politics of Trumpet today.
Speaker 2: I would just say, criticizing museum for being too nostalgic is just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's their point.
Speaker 4: How this museum looks backwards. Which way does your museum play?
Speaker 1: I think I think it was that a New York Times we said it was Leeter Bakers, the Peter Baker Yes, and it was like and I think, I mean, I get why reporters would write that, right, because we are living in this reality and then you step in here and you're like, Okay, is this just a pining for the past kind of thing? And you know what they're what they're really trying to say, And this goes to your point about how people can play like Obama's not more involved in politics. And what Obama always says is like, I don't want to be out there forever because I want the next generation of progressive leaders to be out there and to like have their moment, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the election cycle that happens.
Speaker 1: Right the point of the center and the point of the foundation. The point of the center of the point of the foundation especially is to is to train and inspire young leaders here and all over the world. And I think that is it finally makes sense to me now, because like it is nice when Obama goes out there and he's great on the campaign trail and he gives great speeches and he motivates people, and that's important to having democratic politics, but we do need lead who are not Obama and who take the spotlight in the next ten years, twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't I agree with all that. But also it's okay to be nostalgic. I'm not a sto like nostalgia that doesn't do it for me in the same way I'm not really like a hope person and more of an anger and rage person, but I understand its value in the same way that Trump appeals to you more of an experienced person. Yeah yeah, yeah, small.
Speaker 1: And especially when experience plus strength yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Right. And obviously, as I've said, change equals one divided by no. It was strang the three equals changed, So change divided by strength plus experience equals one. But but back to the museum, Like, it's okay to be nostalgic, right, Like, yes, this was a moment where people were really hopeful and a lot of really good was a lot of good was done, a lot of things weren't finished, but people believed in the mission. They cared about it, they fought to make it happen, and they elected him twice and it led to really good things. That nostalgia is a good thing to feel, and there's a way in which.
Speaker 1: To like, especially especially if it inspires you to act. Yeah, it's good to feel, but it's also good to be like, oh, well then I'm going to go do something.
Speaker 4: And that and that there's a whole and there's a lot of people who are very very hyper engage in politics. It applies to a lot of people that are partisan. It applies to a lot of people that are non partisan journalists that uh that they see that is inherently naive, that there's something inherently naive about having that warm and good feeling about politics in any way that it's cringe right.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes I've gotten I've been in those moments all the time.
Speaker 4: But but like, but I had this one was watching I think it was there was a moment where Bono was singing Michelle my Bell and boy, I have a photo I have I'm cringing.
Speaker 3: I got a photo of Tommy just print.
Speaker 4: Just a full body cringe and and I get and like, but why do.
Speaker 3: We cringe in it?
Speaker 4: I think it's sometimes because we're uncomfortable with a display of care or like a direction that we might agree with, but take something too far and away that feels syrupy or saccharine in some way.
Speaker 1: Anywhere wondering is he hitting on her? Yeah, that was a that was did say, But it was a lot of deep to your point. In the twenty twenty election, like you know, it was a thing you'd hear online that people are like, oh, oh, we're just going to vote our way out of this problem. It's like, well, yeah, yeah, actually that's the whole thing. That's democracy. I mean, it's not the only thing you're gonna do, but at some point you do have to vote. Otherwise, if you don't do it, a lot of the other stuff you're going to try. It's going to do much right, well, otherwise it's not a democracy, and then we're the other system that we say that we're against. Right, So you do have to vote at some point. So let's talk about Michelle's speech. Let's just listen to a clip because then we can then we can comment on it.
Speaker 9: The Native kids showing us that resilience and pride can never be stolen. The four aguers and FFA members with callouses on their hands from feeding livestock, the immigrants proving what it truly means to be a dreamer. These folks, these folks aren't Americans too. They are America. They are the beating heart of this country. They are us, and we are them deep down in our hearts and souls.
Speaker 1: We all know right from wrong.
Speaker 9: We know selflessness from greed, righteousness from injustice.
Speaker 3: All of us, all of us.
Speaker 9: Are created equal, that each of us is a child of God with an errant value. And no one, and I mean no one has the right to sit in judgment of who's American enough.
Speaker 1: So I will say I get like a little misty when I saw the Grand Park panel at the Center. But the first time this whole week that I actually just like cried was during her speed. Oh yeah, for sure, I saw the sign, languished interpreter wiping tears. It was a fantastic speech. I mean it's like it's almost cliche to say it that Michelle Obama always knocks out of the park, but.
Speaker 3: It really was this.
Speaker 1: I thought Obama's speech was really good. She like, I can't remember the last time I didn't see her just kind of knock the cover off the ball. I'm trying to think of a bad Michelle.
Speaker 2: There's no there's there's no.
Speaker 1: The The part that also was really moving was she she says at the beginning, I'm going to do what you know, what Brock won't want me to do, and just like brag about him, and and she talks about like how he carried himself in the eight years as president, and that's what like really did it for me. Yeah, I lost it at that point. It is him crying. It is like like what she said about him is like what we know.
Speaker 2: But just like he is such like a decent human, like just truly to his core decent, Like he's flawed, like he's a human, but he's a decent human. I think all the time about like the one thing and this is like at the core of what Michelle was saying, but he's the thing all the time about how every like I'd be in meetings with Obama where it would just be like people who you saw a lot. He'd be pretty grumpy, right, like shit is bad going on, But then someone would come in the room who'd be like a younger staff briefing on something or someone coming in for a visit, and he like instantly knew that that interaction with him and that's the only time they'll ever be to president in their life was going to be matter life changing, life changing for them, and he would matter how shitty the day was, he would pull it together and just like treat that person with the utmost respect. They make that like a special moment, and that is like like that that to me is always like summed up who he is. And it was really just powerful to hear Michelle talk about it that way.
Speaker 4: I always thought that it was there was an irony in the Obama campaign being about change, and that that carrying him all the way to the nomination. But ultimately he is able to defeat John McCain because in the weeks of the financial crisis, what actually carried him all the way to the presidency, which was not a quality that I think was now necessary for his rise. Until then was a kind of preternatural evenness, reliability, consistency, trustworthiness, a calm that was sort of in his bones, that infused everything that he did, and it gave people the assurance unspoken that they could take a chance on him when John McCain was supposed to be the more senior and seasoned person but had seemed to ratic in the lead up to the election, and when people would say things like with mich Michelle referenced that oh, he wasn't qualified.
Speaker 1: It wasn't this, it was that's like, why is he qualified?
Speaker 3: Well, look at what he is, look at how.
Speaker 4: He is modeling what it means to be a senator and a candidate in a way that say Sarah Palin right, who could claim a similar or whatever experience in the public in elected office, that didn't have the same effect. And now we were all these years later, and it just stands in contrast to what Trump is and the fact that there were so many Republicans who spent eight years denigrating as a person, pretending he was some threat or some alien or some e and socialist sort of extreme force, when of course the whole time he was this even gield center left, consensus building, reliable figure which now in hindsight, the country like terribly misses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what I just like think about why I was lucky to work for him, Like, yeah, he was cool, Yes, he was a great communicator and speaker. But the thing, upon like a long time of reflection, that I've come to realize was the best part about working for him is that on literally anything, you could go to him and he had a core belief about whatever it was, and that was from a good place, That was from a sense of decency and like, yes, politics are part of everything, but it's about doing the right thing, and like you just never doubted that, or like their motivation of their family, and it's just like I could contrast that to like you walk in the old office now and they're fucking day trading on the war with Iran. You know, it's just insane. Where we've gotten. One of my favorite lines about Obama ever, is that ton of Hussey codes line at the beginning of that long piece about him. At the end of the administration, which was for eight years, he walked on Ia never fell and it was about race and how he handled race and being the first black president. But I also think it's about it was but so much more than that, is that like the job of president and the job of him being president and being the first black president, as Michelle also mentioned today, it requires so much care and thoughtfulness and like balance of so many different competing interests and competing desires within yourself and trying to channel your emotions and trying to suppress some emotions. And I feel like Michelle's speech was that line that ton of Hussey codes line. Yeah, And I think that's why it was so affecting, because I was like, you know, I think we all get that having been in politics, Like we all do that, we all done that throughout our time in politics, as you realize that so much of the job is constant thinking about like what is the right balance of this and that, and how do I not piss this person off? And how do I persuade this person? And like so much care goes into it, and the fact that he was able to do that and get through eight years it's still intact is just like, you know, it's it's inspiring.
Speaker 2: I think the being the first black president like what Michelle said that like that, we like anyone who worked with him or worked from the very beginning, knew the historic nature of his candidacy and the different set of rules are applied to him that any cann And it's the same way, different set of rules replied to women.
Speaker 1: Candidates, and he refused to complain about it.
Speaker 2: He refused to complain about it, and he can and Michelle's like that was subtext of everything that we always talked about. But Michelle made a text, right and said very clear that he for eight years, could not make a mistake. He could not slip up, He cannot lose his temper, he cannot lash out, he cannot set an angry tweek. He had to bear the expectations and the pressure of being the first black president, because how he did it was going to dictate if and when we had a second black president.
Speaker 1: Right for example, literally just pointing out that Trayvon Martin looked like what his son would look like. Yeah, right, she said that today, and I was like, yeah, she leaned in, Yeah, and I think that I think she got some stuff off her chest today, which.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, she always does. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was funny we should about like the sort of the backdrop of all of this invisible in the backdrop and sometimes not very visible is Trump. Yeah, and how they all kind of how they both handled that today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, the it's funny. I felt the same way they convention too, that when Michelle's speeches there's like an edge and a kind of darkness to them that I'm like, Oh, I'm like, I'm always caught off guard by it. And I'm like, oh, like she's pissed a little bit, like she's going to say some things that she's feeling about what's going on right now. And it always works because I do think, like she taps, it's a very it's you know, it's a it's it matches what he does. These are compliments with what he does. Because she has this, she understands how to use that that feeling people have. That's all we're living through the Trump era. We're always a little bit mad, We're always a little bit upset. It's always there. It is a it is a cloud over our society. And she just without saying the name, she just said, you know what, that's a part of today, and I'm gonna and it makes me upset too, because not just because of what's happening right now because of but because of what the other standard that was applied to Barack Obama when I saw what kind of a man he was.
Speaker 1: And the thing that I think we'll probably get clicky is like, you know, he actually won a Peace Prize, right, that was like a fun shot at Trump. The thing that I thought, to your point, loved about the darkness was failing to see the humanity and others puts us on a slippery slope when he's talking about immigration. Y. Yeah, right, she's like talking about this slide to fascism in her remarks.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who said this, but someone said about Michelle after her convention speech in twenty twenty four that she is your friend who just tells you like it is, does not beat around the bush, just tells you exactly what you need to hear. And her speech is always just reflected like there's no like there's a way to make those points that there's so sat all that like maybe even or you get it, but you've you've basically wasted a bunch of words that she just says it always, and it's what makes it so powerful.
Speaker 1: I always roll my eyes when people are like shell Obama should run for present because we obviously you know she's never gonna run for anything because she despises politics. But again today, like halfway through the speech, as I was crying and then Emily was also crying next to me, she was like, I mean, maybe she should run for something, Like are we crazy or was this the thought that I slapped my I'm well, we can want it all we want, She's not going to do it, but but I she just really she can command a stage. By the way, we're in a working building, there's you might hear some background noise. Positive America is brought to you by stamps dot Com. We could all use a few more hours, even minutes in the day for ourselves. Skip your trip to the post office and save some precious time with stamps dot Com. With stamps dot com, you can print postage and shipping labels from your computer, a phone twenty four to seven with up to ninety percent off ups, USPS, FedEx and more. There's no lines, there's no trips, there's no waiting, get everything done in minutes. Even schedule free pickups so that letter carrier come right to you. How about that, Whether you're sending letters, contracts, important legal documents, or packages. Stamps dot Com makes mailing simple for businesses of all sizes, including multilocation offices. You can even send certified mail with proof of delivery right from your desk. We love stamps dot Com. We've been using stamps dot Com for a very long times. We found, we founded the company. We've been shipping stuff. We've been sending merch, sending important business things. Who doesn't love stamps. It's a way you send stuff. It's how you stamp approval. They've got tramp stamps. Tommy's got stamps tramps, as briefly said Mike Pence for president, it's a true story. Awkward anyway, If mailing is taking more time and more money than it should, try stamps dot com for free for four weeks and get a welcome get go to stamps dot com slash PSA to get this offer today. That's s t A, m p S dot com slash PSA, Stamps dot Com slash PSA. Taxes and fees apply. One more thing before we move on, Dan, you had a message box today In honor of today, I did about what democrats can learn from Barack Obama, which I thought would be a nice, nice way to end the section.
Speaker 2: Well, I look, I think you know, Obama says every every election cycle he goes out, he goes on the trail, and everyone says, like, why can't more Democrats look at this? And Obama's obviously, as we all know what, everyone is a generationally talented communicator, and so just telling people to be more like Obama's like not helpful advice. It's like, be more like Michael Georgan, like Dunk Moore. Yeah, but I think there are like a few things that any communicator can take from him, And I'll just give you a couple. One is like in tell me you mentioned this, is that there is this inherent patriotism in everything he says like he owns it. He will not let Republicans take patriotism he is not. He well you know, and often does talk about all the flaws of this country, but makes the point about what a special place is that you heard that today. The other one is that he you know, and I remember this early on the administration, we were going to do a YouTube town hall, which is like very innovative at the time, which was just a town hall that streamed on the internet, and but YouTube was hosting and we.
Speaker 1: Were taking we're doing a YouTube podcasts, and.
Speaker 2: They were taking questions over the over I guess in YouTube comments I can remember, but the number one topic by far was the legalization of marijuana. And so we went in to say, like, this is the number one question, but you don't like, we don't have to take it, and he's like, you always have to talk about the Like, well, if it's the number one question, we're going to talk about it, because he like he will always say it's like that, you always have to talk about the thing, right, the elephant in the room. You cannot avoid it. Just take it a head on, you know. And then the last thing I think is really powerful is we talk all the time about like how democratsy in a better affordability message, economic message. All this and what Obama always understood is that the discussion of the economy is not really about policy. It's not about how many time you say affordability. It's not whether you say bottom up or middle out. It is a it's a story about values, about who you're fighting for and who you're fighting against, and like that is the frame to bring to all of this, and this is like, ultimately, I think the biggest thing to take from Obama over the whole time is that politics and messaging is a storytelling exercise. It's not a slogan, it's not a SoundBite, it's not a tweet.
Speaker 1: It is an.
Speaker 2: Overall narrative about the country, about why you are the person who should be elected while the other side should not be elected, and fitting things into those stories.
Speaker 1: It's what do you have to say about this moment that we're in right now in the country and where you want to take us. What do you have to say about it? Yeah, Like, and everything has to flow from their message, flows from their policy, flows in there. Like that's where you have to start. And and like, you know, Michelle and Barack Obama has something to say today, right, and people can have something completely different to say, But you still need to run for president having something to say about it this moment that is beyond just Donald Trump and what policies you want to enact when you're president. Okay, let's get to some news before we leave, because I guess news has been happening.
Speaker 2: We had access to it, but we hear its happening.
Speaker 1: Uh, we got the We got the text of the Iran deal apparently the m OU and uh boy, is it a stinker.
Speaker 2: Tommy, was the Treaty of Versailles at m ou.
Speaker 1: It's a good question. Yeah, so we have a Treaty of Versailles. He signed it in Versailles with macron, which is an insane choice.
Speaker 4: Wait a second, I'm sorry, I'm learning this in real time. You're telling me they signed this piece of paper in literal Versailles. Yes, dude, he stayed an extra day just to go out dinner. It's like, it's real gold and I want to signing ceremony. It was just like he decided to just sign it in Versailles.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like the wow, it's like the twentieth crazy thing about the about the the text which the administration administration official read all the text of the mo OU. We couldn't just copy paste like CNN Bloomberg got it and then CNN got it, I think, But then the administration Stephen Choung, was like, they're just wrong, that's not the text, and I got it from the President of Iran's Twitter and the real ended up being like a couple words were different, but not not by any not anything significant. So the Memorandum of Understanding the MoU, the Treaty.
Speaker 2: Of THEU ever signed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right yeah. The memo calls for the suspension of the naval blockade of Iran's ports and for Iran to use its best efforts to allow traffic through the Strait of Horror moves without tolls best for sixty days. It calls for a permanent into war in Israel and Lebanon. Aroan is allowed to resume exporting oil, will get access to a three hundred billion dollar redevelopment and reconstruction fund. The MoU creates a sixty day window for negotiations over Iron's nuclear program, and in the meantime, Iran reaffirms its long standing commitment not to procure and develop nukes. So it's not playing super well. No, you got your Bill Cassidy's, John Coryn's. All the people who feel liberated now that Trump has defeated them. They they have been voicing some some criticism. Other Republicans are just sort of hiding.
Speaker 3: So funny these guys.
Speaker 4: He threw off a mountain and then while you're rolling down towards your demise, over clip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: The hawk the around hawks are very mad. You've probably oh yeah, you probably consumed a lot more of Mark Levin content, those Ben sh Apier's tears on there clips. I might have downloaded a commentary podcast from John pod Horse Time.
Speaker 4: He's got the Daily Wire opening incognito window.
Speaker 1: Here's we think we have a clip of Trump talking about the the MU of Versailles in France.
Speaker 6: Then it's a memorandum of understanding. If it doesn't get done in sixty days, it's sir, right, we go back to bombing. Kind of like Barack Hussein Obama who sent a ramp allice of cash and any relief they receive under this deal, well they'll have to get based on merit and it won't be from us. We don't have to give them anything, but some people may want to invest. I said, well, what am I gonna do. We're gonna let Soudi Arabia have missiles, but they can't have them. Yes, sir, missiles aren't the problem. Missiles or they hurt a little location, but they don't blow up the planet. And in all fairness to bebing you know who happens to be a good man gets a little excited. Sometimes we have a little dispute over Lebanon, and I say, you can do a little softer touch. Maybe you don't have to knock down a building every time somebody walks into it. That's from his Bulah.
Speaker 3: That guy. I'm sorry that guy. Another one too.
Speaker 4: I was like, every time of the best case, the other line was you shoot a couple of missiles down, they don't hurt about desert.
Speaker 3: You're knocking down a building in be rude.
Speaker 4: It was like, imagine that the democratic a democrat ship that we brought down on these people. And I'm sorry, no, just the idea of the number of times these fucking anti JCPOA people were like, this doesn't even address ballistic missiles, ballistic missiles, ballistic.
Speaker 1: For proxies a million times at the beginning of the.
Speaker 3: This is this is why the deal is so shameful.
Speaker 4: You're gonna give them money, but they're not addressing the core problem of the ballistic missiles and the CO and HESBELA and their proxies. And then Trump gives up completely and three hundred billion dollars is what twice three times four times as much as what was ever contemplated, but also Iran deal.
Speaker 1: They got an immediate license to sell oil and gas, so they're gonna be making money off of that. Then they're clearly planning to you know, they call it fees, but it's they're gonna be toll ships in the straight up for moves. Aron's gonna make so much money off of this. I mean, look, big picture, the best outcome is the war being over. So like, I'm happy that the original sin here is this war starting. And the best thing to come out of this is that the fucking Lindsey Graham Foundation for the Defense of Democracies neo Khan hawk worldview is smothered to death right and that Trump hates these people and then he runs them out of DC. But they cleaned his clock in this deal, and then just hearing him just on this on this ballistic missile thing. Clearly the reason you would go to the core national security priority with Iran is preventing them from getting a nuclear weapon, right, Like non proliferation is a good thing generally. I think the way you do that is through negotiations, not bombing them. We did, you know, fuck up a lot of their infrastructure, but whatever, they can rebuild that. But to hear Trump from going from these maximus positions to being like, Eh, who cares about the nuclear dust. We got eyes on it. Maybe we'll get it out, maybe we won't. It's like head spinning. And then on the ballistic missiles, Like remember when Rubio went up to Capitol Hill and he did that press conference where he blamed Israel and then ran away and didn't talk to the press for two months. The core argument they were making there is that Iran was on the cusp of having a ballistic missile arsenal that would make their nuclear weapons program like impregnable, and we couldn't go after forgot right, And now Trump is like, Eh, who gives a fuck. They can have some ballistic missiles, It's no big deal.
Speaker 4: Ruby also is this our goal is to stop them from their ability to project power in the Regionistic is how you project power.
Speaker 3: It is the definition of their power in the region.
Speaker 1: Read the MoU this morning. The text I was like, did we get anything from this? No?
Speaker 2: The straight the theoretical opening of the straight for sixty.
Speaker 1: The theoretical opening of the strait that Iran and Oman are going to jointly control and can charge fees whenever they want, and before the war, the strait used to be open and controlled by no one because it was international waters right, and there were no tolls. So like, I don't think we got anything in the theory of the case on the nuclear negotiations that your leverage is military action and sanctions, and he just gave up both of those in advance of the sixty days of talks over the nuclear park. And he says like, oh, we can just go back to bombing them. But you know what, Iran knows that as we get closer to the midterms, he's not going to go back to bombing them. They you shouldn't go back to bombing them. They're not to get bombed out of you know, their nuclear Now, we.
Speaker 4: Just unleashed a bombing campaign for weeks. It costs US tens of billions of dollars, and the end result is an unconditional surrender in Versailles. So I don't know what additional bombs are going to do for anybody. The other thing is, I don't know if you're going to go to it. But uh you advanced sort of brushing back the uh uh, the Iran hawks and specifically referring to uh uh pro Israel Iran hawks saying, uh, Trump is the only leader on earth that is sympathetic to Israel's point of view, and we're the leader of the world superpower, which the for for van I'm glad man said that, right, It's like, look at what for all these people that claim to be so pro Israel, right, that have been that have that have turned Apack into this partisan weapon, that have alienated Democrats, that have that have have turned Israel into pariah state?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Do you feel good about where where Israel's at now?
Speaker 3: Alone in the world?
Speaker 4: Beholden on Donald Trump, a guy that does not give a fuck what happens, who could turn on a dime that do you think this was a long term great play?
Speaker 3: Now? The Democratic Party? Uh is uh uh opposed to the to.
Speaker 4: The Yahoo government. Israel has never been more unpopular in its entire history. It's never been more isolated. You guys feel good about where you landed after all this while calling everybody out there anti Semite, said anti Israel. You think the people that might have been saying that Benjamin and Yahoo was terrible for Israel might have had a fucking point rather than calling us all what self hating Jews, Like, anyway, that's what That's just a little point I wanted to make about that.
Speaker 1: Well, it just won't very quickly. Like I want Democrats to just stand up and support the JCPOA and say that it was better. Stop all the fucking throat clearing about its flaws and what was omitted. The JCPOA is better than what Trump may eventually get. Here beu is with the JCPOA around shipped out, ninety seven percent of its stockpile was out of the country and went to Russia. In this case, we're talking about down blending it to making it less usable for nuclear weapons. In the JCPOA that went through the UN Security Council, right, So this was the had sanctions into the backing of all their closest allies like the P five plus one, et cetera. This will have none of that. And now this three hundred billion dollars slush fund, Like, what are we doing here? All these Gulf countries are now getting told they're on the hook to rebuild Iran when Iran was firing ballistic missiles at them. Can we talk about it before we move on to this you mentioned Jadvance. I want to sort of ask a hacky political question, which is I read in playbook this morning. I think that a lot of Jadvance's like you know, opponents or detractors are trying to hang this deal around his neck and say it's Jadvance's deal. And there's people from Jadvance's office that basically pushed back and said, those people obviously can't read a poll because this war is very unpopular, and the idea that this is going to be bad for jd Vance to be associated with this deal, this treaty is crazy because people don't want war anyway, and so it's not going to be a real political risk for him at all. What do you guys make of that? Because I think it brings up the question of how this war and how it ended sort of plays out politically, or whether it even does, whether it has a lasting political impact as we head towards the midterms and beyond that.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 2: On like a substance of political level, no one is going to remember the war by the time that voting happens in and will not not in this November. I think the questions about Jade Vance's president so by the time we yeah, I think the war will matter to remember in a couple of ways we can talk about when it comes to the Republican primary or the general election of twenty twenty advances that I may I think anyone's gonna remember it. I think the damage of the war to JD. Vance is I think it has ensured that Donald Trump will be a very unpopular president. When JD Vance is possibly trying to be the third term of that very unpopular person, I think that is bad for him.
Speaker 4: This episode is sponsored by Better Holp. Not everyone experiences summer is an endless parade of hot dogs, vacations.
Speaker 3: And pool parties.
Speaker 4: For some people, LIFs woes don't abate when the temperature climbs in the days get longer. You've got summertime. Blueser are simply feeling overwhelmed. Better Help is there when you need it, But there are thirty thousand therapists. Better Help is the world's largest online therapy platform, having served over six million people globally, and it works with an average rating of four point nine out of five for a live session based on over one point seven million client reviews. Better Help therapists work according to a strict code of conduct and are fully licensed in the US. Better help does the initial match and work for you so you can focus on your therapy goals. A short questionnaire helps identify your needs and preferences. If you aren't happy with your match, switch to different therapists at any time from their tailored res Love therapy. It's great, you need it. I needed, everybody needed. You don't have to say yes to everything this summer. Find support in Therapy. Sign up and get ten percent off at betterhelp dot com slash PSA That's better h e LP dot com slash PSA.
Speaker 1: Speaking Evans, he's been on a book tour about his conversion to Tough Timing Man. Tough Timing. Yeah, it's really this ruined the tour. He went to The View, went into the Lions den Uh huh. That they do a great job. I haven't watched any questions. Are really good.
Speaker 2: You're learning for the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this clib will be my first, my first experience with JD on the View. So let's let's take a look.
Speaker 4: Everybody knows that Americans are struggling.
Speaker 10: What is he spending all this money for?
Speaker 5: Well, I got to defend the president on the hoax point. What the President said is the idea that Republicans, cause the affordability problem.
Speaker 1: Is a hoax.
Speaker 4: He just said he loves the inflation.
Speaker 5: What he said, Anna, What he said is that he loves the fact that the inflation is going to come down when this war is over.
Speaker 3: That's that's what he said.
Speaker 4: Are you this interpreter or are you his vice president?
Speaker 10: I believe as a Christian I can tell my kids why it's important to have borders. I get that there are laws, there are resources, I get all that things. It's much harder to explain when I see someone dragged out of a house or wrongly take into a thing.
Speaker 4: That isn't a violent pink that is that is.
Speaker 10: It's a little more nuanced as a parent to try to say when someone's referred to as vermin or scum. When I teach them in school about people that have done that before, but this is different. It's very hard as a parent and a Christian to say both things. I would urge you, as a Christian and as a father, to visit those detention centers where the children are being held.
Speaker 5: So you guys have thrown a lot at me, and I say, we got thirty seconds left here.
Speaker 1: But let me say no, the one sounds.
Speaker 3: Like that one.
Speaker 1: Well, what'd you guys think anyone watched more of it?
Speaker 3: I watched a bunch of it.
Speaker 1: They did a great job. And what they did that I think we heard there was the questions weren't like from a like a shitty liberal perspective. It was like, as a Christian, as a human being, how can you as a parent like see what's happening at the Delly Detention Center and be okay with that? And I think jd vance credit to him. I guess we're going there, right. That's he's clearly trying to make an argument that he's the kind of candidate that can build bridges and reach new voters by going on the view right, Like that's like a thing you tell people you did. He answered the questions, but I don't think he did a good job. And he also just cannot help but sound like a whiny little bitch. He is the victim of everything.
Speaker 4: He also says Democrats are terrible at one point, I do like it, just it's just not possible to be It's not possible to fairly answer questions, defend Donald Trump and Bill d a and and sort of be tilting at any kind of broader sort of a nonpartisan collage.
Speaker 3: Like that that those things.
Speaker 4: There's no talent on earth that could both defend Donald Trump and pretend to be some kind of broader, more appealing figure. It's just not can't be done. And so I don't think he could do it. But I don't think. I think there are people that are far more talented the JD events that would make it look a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: He's just so bad.
Speaker 2: He's terrible, Like in those answers, like he thinks he's being smart by basically just gaslighting about what it is Trump actually said, and he just saysn't Like there's a way, like defending on Trump's an a possible task. It just you cannot do that and remain any sort of dignity or serious as a human being. You just can't. But there's ways to do it with more charm humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just has.
Speaker 2: He just says no, he says no charisma, And I mean, you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think I think he goes on.
Speaker 2: The view and I think he was not. I think in his mind maybe he wants to show that he can go to place. I don't think he wants to show that he can go own the Libs. Remember he went on Blue Sky for like a hot minute to tay people.
Speaker 1: Well, you just reference at it that he calls Democrats terrible people. So he did that. Kelly later it was Gutfeld it right, because I saw that clip and I realized that, Yeah. His whole play was I'll go on the View and then they'll beat me up, and then I'll go to the right wing outlets and I'll be like, oh, I survived the View and they were such assholes and blah blah blah blah blah. But he he doesn't. They didn't even beat him up, though they were like very substantive. And the way he said that too, it was such a He's like, and the thing about Democrats that I don't like it's it's it's not the policies necessarily, is that they're terrible people, right, and they're not grateful to the country. He did the grateful Well, the thing it's even worse than this, it's a in this.
Speaker 2: He couldn't stop himself. He started by saying, like, the thing that virus me about Democrats is it's not what, it's not their policies, it's not this, it's that they're not. I think the grateful thing. I think in this context, what he was trying to awkwardly do was that like to try to suggest we run down America. But he knew he was on Fox. We couldn't just say that, so he had to say it. Also bothers me that some of them are terrible people, Like that's he looks like at a side it wasn't even some it.
Speaker 1: Was just terrible people, the terrible people. And I was like that that is a wild thing, Like does he think that he can just I mean, I know he's gonna run in a primary here, but does he realize that kind of undermines the whole softening your image effort and something. He's just crazy.
Speaker 2: He has no deafinis, he has no definite.
Speaker 1: I really he was on the book tour. It is crazy that Marco Rubio has just gone into witness protection. He's the National Security Visor in the Secretary of State. He has he done a single interview about the surrenders. That there's a picture of him over Trump when Trump's assigning the treaty in Versailles, and he looks like, did you guys watch him behind Trump and the press Commerce shifting back and forth like dead eyed. He looked like he'd taken like six thousand provy and hadn't slept in a month, like just looked miserable. Well, before we go, I do think we should talk about briefly the reflecting pool. M M, I guess that's a that's the thing in the news now because the reflecting pool. So let me get this straight. Please correct me if I've.
Speaker 2: Got This is important to me because identification for two weeks so in my lat trying to avoid learning something. This is the thing that I know very little about. I'm excited to learn. I very love a fashion.
Speaker 3: Explain it to Dan.
Speaker 1: Here's what I think. Obviously, Trump decided to paint the reflecting pool. He did the American flag blue, then they refilled it.
Speaker 2: How do you describe the paint.
Speaker 3: It was like thick rubber, rubberrobbing.
Speaker 1: And then and then he uh so they painted it. They filled it up again, and then it quickly turned green because of algae, and so then there's a green reflecting pool after spending however much he spent to make it blue. And then they just quickly had parks people or interior people or whatever run over there and start dumping hydrogen peroxide or whatever into the just dumping it into the reflecting pool as if like like this reflecting pool is quite large, as Donald Trump showed us on his chart, and just like doing a couple buckets was not really going to do anything. And then they had like algae scoopers in there.
Speaker 3: And then getting the algae off the bottom.
Speaker 1: And then the Department of Interior this morning decided to post a series of tweets that was like it's back and they have a picture of the water is blue again, which I think is just a fake picture, and they said, and the algae is gone from the the algae is now just at the bottom of the reflecting pool, just like the Iranian Navy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the.
Speaker 4: Department of Interior, which in a previous era might have posted a picture of say, Zion National Park.
Speaker 3: Boy, check out Zion National Park.
Speaker 4: We think everybody's gonna love it. They're like, you fucking cup pitches.
Speaker 3: And this thing is blue now, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: So here's they drained the pool.
Speaker 3: They painted it a darker color, but a bluer color whatever.
Speaker 4: Okay, they claimed, because oh, you know, the Obama and Biden they didn't have the stuff to fix their refle They couldn't get that, couldn't get it done. But as we all complained about for years, there's a big thing we really cared about.
Speaker 3: So they're gonna do it. They're gonna fix it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then the algae comes back. Why, well, maybe because Donald Trump isn't magic.
Speaker 4: It isn't eight acre short fucking swamp painted black in the middle of one of the like in the middle of a swamp.
Speaker 1: Uh, and there's algae, and maybe maybe the paint color American flag blue doesn't have magical properties. That I regret to say that I read along Washington Post article about this, because there's all this like drainage and filtration infrastructure that they didn't actually choose to fix, and that's the core problem.
Speaker 3: We just painted it.
Speaker 1: So the other part of this, too, is the perfect metaphor for the entire.
Speaker 3: The swamp, if you will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but so of course the algiae coz Now the Interior Department then puts out a statement saying, actually, this is residual algae, and it's like, hey, it's not spunk. We don't believe in spontaneous creation of life anymore. We're not Lamarckians or whatever it was. Who are the fucking people?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's evolving quickly.
Speaker 4: Who's the ones that thought the maggots became the that maggots spontaneously arise?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, thank you? Read?
Speaker 7: I do you know this?
Speaker 1: Read?
Speaker 4: Because because we didn't have sports, nobody invited us to flip cups, so we learned about these things.
Speaker 1: But so.
Speaker 4: So uh yeah, it's always residual algae. That's where the algae fucking comes from. Now, they did, no HydroD peroxide can shock a pool. However, the percent pools a pool the kind they were using, the twelve percent that's for a hot tap. This is a seven million gallon tank. You would need at need in the math five thousand to seven thousand gallons of this stuff. And that's just to get it clean for a week. And then they're like, well, the new nano rubber tubes are gonna work. It's like there is runoff because this is a park in the middle of a city that is like from the Potomac and all the rest. So the algae is just going to keep coming back. And it is a great metaphor for Donald Trump thinking for people thinking that the only problem has been that our leaders were stupid or didn't care or didn't breaking up rules.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump does something cheap and easy that he thinks is a magic, magic solution. It's not, and then he pretends it is anyway.
Speaker 2: And news newsflash, Donald Trump Junior. Now, I would say, Hydro and Proxide company.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see like the Newsmax guy who is down at the reflecting pool doing interviews suggesting that the Democrats had like sabotage.
Speaker 4: Yes, sabotages everywhere. Everyone thinks we've been poor and phosphates, we've been moertilizing the fuck. Yes, And then Jesse Waters sent his like baby dork goon down there to be like, well, at least our president cared enough to fix it and try like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Yes, the Washington posted report by the way that the ballroom that there's they found an invoice to a contractor that for like six hundred million dollars and that half of it was going to be tax para moneyers, and so that they've been lying the whole time. And then notice reported I believe that they found out that omb has been moving money from the Secret Service budget into doings because they couldn't get it pased through Congress to so so it is. Look we are paying for the ball room after all. Well, famously Secret Service has had a great run recently, resources had some loose change. Yeah, so that's happened anyway.
Speaker 4: We started to make that money by a couple of pairs of barnocular boys.
Speaker 1: Well we started very inspiring. We ended up with algae in the pool. So it's a tale for our times. This has been fun. Guys. Everyone have a great weekend. That's our show for today. Alex Wagner will be backing the Feed on Sunday with a conversation with historian and substack titan Heather Cox Richardson and thanks to Obama Library for letting us in here. Yeah I'm seriously Erica.
Speaker 3: Now let's go find our books.
Speaker 1: Somemer Pod Dave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts and Faris Safari with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis, Carol keel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East