Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C. Yelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our terrific Jeopardy champions and hear all about what super duper causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some cues and a's with our first of four rounds today. It's our General Knowledge Round.
Speaker 1: Round one, General.
Speaker 2: Knowledge Thinking cap on champions pencils, ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge Round. Here is question number one. Can you name either of these presidents? Based on their nicknames? One of them was called the Great Humanitarian while the other was called the Great Sphinx? Can you name either of those presidents based on those weird nicknames? One was called the Great Humanitarian, the other was called the Great Sphinx? Can you name either of those. For question number one, how are we feeling after one question?
Speaker 3: Awful? I regret everything.
Speaker 4: I don't quite know how I feel yet, but I'm sure that will change.
Speaker 2: Nowhere to go, but up here we go question number two. Question number two goes like this, what home improvement retailer is headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolinaville, North Carolina? What home improvement retailer is headquartered? Their HQ is in Mooresville, North cakaalac for number two.
Speaker 5: That's the one we all know.
Speaker 6: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of a specific question, so you can at least narrow it down. It's definitely not Fudruckers or uh what else? What's another one? Service merchandise? It's not that, it's not service merchandise. All right, Here we go Question number three of eight in the general knowledge round, What actress has been in the following three films, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Client, and dead Man Walking. Name that terrific actress that has been in all three of those films. Again, they are The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Client, and dead Man Walking. I'm Matt actress for number three. All right, Question number four, I need a number for this one. How many minutes does it take for sunlight to reach the Earth? It's a round number. How many minutes does it take for sunlight to reach the Earth? I need a number for question number four. We're doing some science here. Moving right along to question number five. What English author and NYU professor's debut novel was White Teeth back in the year two thousand? It's on a lot of bestseller lists and top one hundred lists. What English author and NYU professor's debut novel was White Teeth back in two thousand? Last name will suffice for question number five? Now, how are we feeling any better? Worse? The same?
Speaker 4: A little bit betterish? Yeah, a little bit yeah. Okay, that's a good word, better ish. I like that. I'm going to use that.
Speaker 2: Add it to the vocabulary or the lexicon better ish. After five, all right, we got three more to go. Question number six of eight. What NFL team has retired the numbers of Otto Gram number fourteen, Ernie Davis number forty three, and Lou Groza number seventy six, as well as their most famous retired number, which was thirty two. But name that football franchise from the National Football League that retired the numbers of Otto gram, Ernie Davis, Lou Groza, as well as their most famous retired number, which was thirty two. Name that NFL team for number six. We have arrived at the penultimate question in the General Knowledge round, Question number seven of eight. What new wave band that formed in Athens, Georgia consisted of Ricky Wilson, Cindy Wilson, Keith Strickland, Kate Pearson and Fred Schneider. Name that new wave band that formed in Athens, Georgia. I think in the late seventies. It consisted of Ricky Wilson, Cindy Wilson, Keith Strickland, Kate Pearson and the very memorable Fred Schneider in that band for number seven. All right, here we are question eight of eight. We've arrived at the end of the General Knowledge round with this question a little world geography. What is the capital city of either Senegal or Bangladesh? What is the capital city of either Senegal or Bangladesh. I'll give everyone the hint at home. The reason I chose those two is because their capital cities are very similar, very similar for number eight, But you only need to name one of them for number eight. All right, then, pencils down. We will go with your answers in just a few moments. But it's time to me our wonderful guests all the way from Quinlan, Texas. He's the co host of the YouTube channel Trek Time TOC Jeopardy Champ. My pal Jared Watson is here today.
Speaker 3: Hi, thank you so much for having me. This is I've really been looking forward to doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, total pleasure to have here. You can follow Jared on Facebook just look up Jared see Watson. Jared. What charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I am playing for one of the largest charities in the world, Saint Jude, Because I mean, everyone knows cancer sucks, and cancer with children is just the worst possible scenario. And I'm a father of four, so that hits very close to home to me. So something like that, you can never fund them enough, so be happy to do anything for them.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. We love that charity, We've given to them in the past, and we're happy to do so. Win or lose in your name to Saint Jude's Children's Hospital. And now your opponent from LaFollette, Tennessee. Did I say it right?
Speaker 4: You nailed it?
Speaker 2: Yes, lafoll Att, Tennessee. He does the Ceramic Dalmatian Entertainment on Twitch every Friday. It's at nine pm Eastern, six pm Pacific. Again, that's Ceramic Dalmatian Entertainment on Twitch. TOC Jeopardy Champ. My new friend Brian Hanneger is here today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, An. I am pleased as punch to be here. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can follow Brian and all his shenanigans. He's on Twitch and you just got to look up Brian Hanneger on Twitch. Brian, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 4: Well, I've thought about There's a couple of charities I was thinking about, but this is a bit of a personal one. It's called the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. If you watched me during the TOC, I had two ribbons on my lapel. I had a gray ribbon for brain cancer research and that was from my very dear friend Travis Eberley. His mother is dealing with that right now. But the pink ribbon, of course, is for breast cancer. One of my closest friends in the world, her name is Cindy mcclaan, is a stage three breast cancer survivor, and I was there with her through her entire journey through it. I wasn't because of COVID. I wasn't there to be with her when she rang the bell, but she came through it. She's done everything you're supposed to do. And I just wanted to do that in her honor because my sister not breast cancer, but she's a cancer survivor and I'm with you, Jared, cancer sucks, and anything I can do to help them fight that disease I want to do. And I chose that one because they've got a four star rating on charity Watch and there are a good group of people and I'm just honored to support them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to all the survivors. Were happy to make a donation in all their names and your name to the Breast Cancer Research found dation. Two stellar charities, two stellar Jeopardy champs. But it's time to get back to brass Tax and go over our answers for a very fun general knowledge round. Question one of eight was can you name either of these presidents based on their strange nicknames? One was the Great Humanitarian that's not so strange, but I thought the Great Sphinx was a pretty cool nickname, Jared, what did you come up with for number one?
Speaker 3: These are just two stabs in the dark, So I said, Jimmy Carter and Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Carter an abe, honest abe, great guesses of Brian. What did you put?
Speaker 4: Well, I misheard the question did you have to just want? Did you want just one or did you want two? Answers?
Speaker 2: You can do just one.
Speaker 4: Well, the only answer came up with was Herbert Hoover.
Speaker 2: Herbert Hoover and his Hooverville's God. He got skunked with the whole Great Depression.
Speaker 4: Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: The great humanitarian is Herbert Hoover? Yes, I think he got that during World War One. He was in a different position from the presidency, so we got that world War One. But the Great Sphinx. It doesn't get attached to this person very much because it surprised me, but it's FDR. In some circles was known as the Great Sphinx. I was like, huh, that's very crazy.
Speaker 4: Heard of him. I mean, I've never heard that nickname for him.
Speaker 2: So, like we all learned something. I think, Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 3: The historical footnote FDR.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, not everybody. Yeah, want to nothing. Brian's quitting, but it is Herbert Hoover and FDR. If you put either of those, give yourselves a point for number one. Question number two, what home improvement retailer is headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina? Brian, what did you put for two?
Speaker 4: I picked Low's picked Low's.
Speaker 2: Jared, what did you put for number two?
Speaker 3: Well? I took the other side of it, and I said home depot.
Speaker 2: We got Low's in home Depot.
Speaker 4: One of you is Classic Battle.
Speaker 2: One of you is incorrect. The correct answer is Low's.
Speaker 4: It is Low's.
Speaker 2: That's headquartered in North Carolina. Not to worry, Brian's off to a fast start. Jared's going to get this one right here. Question number three, what actress has been in the following three films? The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Client, and Dead Man Walking? Will go with Jared? What did you get for number three?
Speaker 3: I put Susan Sarandon.
Speaker 2: Susan Sarandon excellent. Guess Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put Susan Sarandon as well.
Speaker 2: Susan Sarandon and Susan Sarandon. It is Susan A random Yeah, I didn't see the Rocky Horror Picture Show right away when I was younger, so when I like, I had seen a bunch of movies with her in it, and then when I saw Rocky Horror the movie version, I was like, oh my god, it's young Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And if we say any of the nicknames they're given by the audience for that movie, this episode would probably get demonetized. So I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: We get explicit the explicit mark on most of our podcast, we get the little e. Question number four, I needed a number. How many minutes does it take for sunlight to reach the earth? Brian?
Speaker 4: I put eight eight, the great eight? Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put eight.
Speaker 2: Eight and eight. Now we're cooking with gas, it's eight minutes for sunlight to reach our earth. Eight whole minutes for number four? Question number five, what English author and NYU professor's debut novel was White Teeth back in the year two thousand? Jared, what did you get for number five?
Speaker 3: I have Zadi Smith?
Speaker 2: Zadi Smith, excellent author. Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I'd never heard of the books? Had his guest An author.
Speaker 2: I said, Harriet, Harriet, So we have Harriet and Zadi Smith. The correct answer is Zady Smith. That's on a lot of the Athos top list. She just made the New York Times Top one hundred list of the twenty first century with white teeth. So it is Zady Smith for number five. Big get for Jared. Question number six, what NFL team has retired the numbers of Otto Graham, Ernie Davis, and Lou Groza, as well as their most famous retired number, which was the number thirty two. I couldn't give you that one because they would give it away. But Brian, what did you put for number six?
Speaker 4: Well, the most famous number thirty two I know of was Jim Brown, and he was a running back for the Cleveland Browns. So I picked the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 2: Brown and Brown's. Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put the Cleveland Browns Cleveland Brown's.
Speaker 2: You were exactly correct. Jim Brown the greatest running probably of all time, number thirty two. Uh yeah, and Ernie Davis, Lou grows a, Auto Graham, all retired numbers of the Cleveland Browns for number six. You guys are killing us.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Question number seven? What new wave band that formed in Athens, Georgia, consisted of Ricky Wilson, Cindy Wilson, Keith Strickland, Kate Pearson, and Fred Schneider. Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put it wasn't a rock. I put the B fifty twos, Ah.
Speaker 2: The B fifty twos, Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: The same Waveland as the B fifty twos rock loops?
Speaker 6: Done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Here comes the narwhal, here comes the whatever.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorite goes a dogfish taste by a catfish.
Speaker 2: It is, in fact, the BEE fifty two's one of my favorite band the new wave era. The B fifty twos for number seven and then finally number eight the World geography question, what is the capital city of either Senegal or Bangdesh? I told you that they are very similar sounding capital cities, Brian, What did you put?
Speaker 4: I put Dakar dac Car.
Speaker 2: Jared? What did you put?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I wrote them both, and I put Dakar Uh and Daka.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dakar and Daka.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Senegal is Dakar d ak R and Bangladesh is Daka d h Aka. So we have Dakar and Daka. So you nailed that one as well. You guys destroyed the general knowledge round A. Jackie, how are we doing after round one?
Speaker 5: I We're doing good. We're doing really good.
Speaker 6: We're doing really good. I think that everyone's doing really well. It's a tight game. According to my calculations, I have I have Brian with seven points and that sounds absolutely correct to me, and and I have Jared with six points just right behind.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I got.
Speaker 5: We got, I got really nervous.
Speaker 2: Jackie's always worried about her math skills, but she nailed it today. So you're gonna get the huzza this week. I think, Joe, that answer deserves a huzza. But it is seven to six a one point game, very impressive scores already. As we head into round two of four between you two chance, it is the pop culture grab Bag.
Speaker 1: Round two pop Culture grab Bag.
Speaker 2: Today in the grab bag, we got a sports round. More specifically, these are all questions about sports of the twenty first century, so these are all questions from the recent past. Here we go. There's eight questions in this round, just like the first round. Here's question number one of eight. In two thousand and four and in two thousand and five, two teams broke their lengthy championship droughts by sweeping their opponents in the World Series. Name those two teams again. One was in two thousand and four, and then one just the year after. In two thousand and five, two teams broke their very lengthy championship droughts by sweeping. They both swept their opponents in the World Series. Name those two MLB teams for question number one. All right, moving along to question number two. This is multiple choice. How many Grand Slam Women's singles titles did Serena Williams win in her career? Was it seventeen, was it twenty three or was it twenty nine? Again for question number two, how many Grand Slam Women's singles titles did the incomparable Serena Williams win in her career? Was it seventeen, twenty three or twenty nine? What's crazy, ear is that she won like a bajillion doubles titles this.
Speaker 4: Well, and uh and she like and she and her sister were both like practicing Jehovah's witnesses. And they would actually, you know, go in like witness during tournaments. And they were that dominant. That's just incredible to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. When I look at her stats, I'm always just like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: So she didn't make a deal with the devil, no interesting that you know of that can just happen.
Speaker 2: Or maybe she did and then became a Jehovah's witness to make up your deal with the devil.
Speaker 3: Ever, know, you never know across cancel equation.
Speaker 2: Which interesting.
Speaker 5: People get canceled. They just go become Jehovah's witnesses.
Speaker 2: That's what you do. That's what the PR team tells you to do. Uh. Question number three of eight. What gall is currently ranked number one in the world and has been for over one hundred weeks and won the Masters in both twenty twenty two and twenty twenty four. What is the name of that golfer that's kind of just destroying pretty much every tournament he's in. Currently ranked number one in the world and has been for over one hundred weeks, and he won the Masters in both twenty two and twenty four. Last name will Suffice for number three? All right, switching gears and switching sports For number four? What current NHL sniper is now only fifty nine goals? Behind the great one Wayne Gretzky. Some of these numbers and stats that you never thought would be even approached. But this guy, current NHL sniper, is now only fifty nine goals behind the great one. Wayne Gretzky named that hockey player for number four. How we feeling halfway through the sports run?
Speaker 3: I told myself that I was just gonna come and have fun, you know, no uh, no pressure, no steaks. But the competitive juices are just starting to flow through me again, and it's like, oh God, I have to get these, I have to get these.
Speaker 5: You have a problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was feeling good during the first round. This round a little bit more nervous, but I'm having a great time.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what we want here, No.
Speaker 4: Pressure, yes, yeah, I want to be against a phenomenal player in Jared.
Speaker 3: So that yeah, and I would have no shame in losing to a player like Brian and this. So it's nothing but love.
Speaker 2: And your charities get money no matter what you do. That's the one thing I always have to remind contestants because there's some that are like, oh my god, I'm blowing it for my charity. I'm like, no, if you lose I'm not gonna not get to your charity. That would be brutal, So.
Speaker 3: I mean a quick tangent. Uh. The uh funny thing is because I the only place that has a trivia night anywhere near me is my local library. And the day before I left to go tape Jeopardy, I did the Librari's trivia night and I came in third.
Speaker 5: So how were you feeling? Were you like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I well, it was not the biggest confidence booster going into the biggest trivia game show of all time. I will say that, Yeah, it worked out, all right.
Speaker 2: I think that's good. You got like like you got like hit on the nose a little bit with a rolled up newspaper, Like it's a little perspective of like, okay, don't don't get cocky, kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was me. That was me, all right?
Speaker 2: Where were we? Question number five? Here we go for question number five? Other than the United States, can you name any of the three other countries that have won a Women's World Cup this entry the US? Besides the US, can you name any of the three other countries that have won a woman's or women's World Cup this century? There have been three other countries that have done it. Can you name just one of them? For question number five? Okay, Question number six, A little tip of the cap to this this fan base, this poor ass fan base the longest. The longest playoff drought in the four major sports is this NFL team that hasn't made the postseason since twenty ten. They're going on fourteen years without even getting to the playoffs. So again, the longest playoff drought in the four major sports is this NFL team that hasn't made the postseason since twenty ten. Name that NFL franchise for number six, okay, question seven, We're gonna do a little math on this one. I hate to do that if you're not good at math, like me and Jackie both.
Speaker 4: Scuffle with math. I was great with math until I was started bringing letters into it.
Speaker 5: Yep, letters, I like the letters.
Speaker 2: You liked algebra.
Speaker 4: That's where you exp that.
Speaker 6: I can you know recognize algebra?
Speaker 2: Calculus? Cool? Long division? Go fuck yourself exactly? Yeah, simple addition? No not col.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no way all right. Question number seven, A little math involved in this one. If the first WrestleMania was held in nineteen eighty five, what number of the event was held with no audience due to the COVID nineteen pandemic. So again, if the first WrestleMania was held back in nineteen eighty five, what number WrestleMania was it that happened with no audience due to the COVID nineteen pandemic. It was WrestleMania. Give me that number for number seven. I remember I got at a friend's sleepover renting WrestleMania three on VHS tape and like watching that and eating like, you know, Little Caesar's pizza or whatever, and drinking a three liter of orange crush or something, being like.
Speaker 3: This is the greatest night of my life.
Speaker 2: Huh. All right, here we go your final question in round two your pop culture grab Bag today, we're talking about sports of the twenty first century. The Aces from what Western city have won the past two w NBA championships. Again for question number eight, the Aces from what Western city have won the past two w NBA Championships. They're going for a three peete this year. All right, pencils down, let's go over your answers for the pop culture grab Bag today, we're talking about sports of the twenty first century. Question number one was in two thousand and four. In two thousand and five, two teams broke their very lengthy championship droughts by sweeping their opponents in the World Series. Can you name those two teams? Brian will start with you. For question number one, I have.
Speaker 4: The Boston Red Sox and the Houston Astros.
Speaker 2: Great guesses, Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 2: Ooh, we have the Red Sox, we have the White Sox. We have the Red Sox and the Houston Astros. The correct answer. The Red Sox finally got off the schneid with that crazy comeback against the Yankees in two thousand and four, and then two thousand and five. My crappy White Sox swept the Houston Astros in two thousand and five, so the Astros were in the World Series they got swept. So it was Red Sox, White Sox for question number one. Well done, Jared, but Brian, you were right there. Question number two. Grand Slam Women's singles titles. Did Serena Williams win in her career? Was it seventeen, twenty three or twenty nine? Jared? What did you put? I? Guessed twenty three twenty three excellent. Brian, did you go with Jared or did you go your own way for number two?
Speaker 4: Oh? Of my own way, because I've I don't know why, but the number twenty nine I think I've heard it somewhere. It rang a very faint bell, So I went twenty nine.
Speaker 2: We have twenty three and twenty nine. Well, it definitely wasn't seventeen. The correct answer is twenty three. It was twenty three singles titles, yeah, but I think combined with doubles titles, Yeah, she's probably at twenty nine or fifty five or something.
Speaker 3: For podcast listeners. He even mouths the nine, saying the answer.
Speaker 2: To Torment Ryan he thought he had it for a milli. Second question number three, what golfer is currently ranked number one in the world and has been for over one hundred weeks and won the Masters in both twenty two and twenty four. Brian, what did you put for number three? I put Jordan Speith, Jordan Speith. Jared? What did you put for number three?
Speaker 3: I put Scotty Scheffler.
Speaker 2: Scotty Scheffler. So we have Speif and Scheffler, both excellent guesses. The correct answer is Scottie Scheffler. Jared is coming on strong in the sports round so far, unbelievable three for three. I'm not taking it easy on you guys and doing all right. Question number four, what current NHL sniper is now? Only fifty nine goals behind the great one Wayne Gretzky and his crazy stats. He's there. I doubt he'll do it this year, but if he plays this year, next year, I think he could do it. Jared, who'd you put for number four?
Speaker 3: I put Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington capitols.
Speaker 2: Ov number eight for the crapools. Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: This is my kryptonite because I'm the only hockey stuff I know is because of Steve Dangles podcast. So I picked a maple leaf, I said, John Tavares, But I know that's wrong.
Speaker 2: John Tavares, great, guess he's got a lot of goals, but he doesn't have as many as Ovi. Alex Ovechkin. Yeah, it's it seemed like no one was going to come close to that ever, but he's been averaging like forty some goals for his career and he's played a long time, so that he can possibly eclipse the great one is kind of insane. Uh. Question number five? Other than the United States, can you name any of the three other countries that have hoisted a Women's World Cup this century? Brian? What did you put?
Speaker 4: I said, Brazil?
Speaker 2: Brazil? Great guess? Jared? What did you put?
Speaker 3: Yeah, trivia one on one if you don't know something about soccer, guess Brazil.
Speaker 2: I also, they did have great women's teams, and I think they won, but I think they won before the twenty first century because the teams we have is outside of the United States. We have Germany, Japan, and then most recently Spain won their very first women's World Cups. We have Germany, Japan, and Spain outside of the US have won award.
Speaker 3: I had Japan and crossed it out because I didn't feel confident about it.
Speaker 2: That deserves a splosh. Dang Nabbitt, don't ever do that again, Jared Okay. Question number six, The longest playoff drought in the four major sports is this NFL team that hasn't made the postseason since twenty ten? Whoof can you name this hard luck team? Jared?
Speaker 3: I put the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Great guess. The Jags of Jacksonville. Bran, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 2: Detroit Lions, great guesses. Both teams have had a lot of hard luck over the years. But the team, it's an AFC team. I think an AFC East team. It is the New York Jets. The Jats have just they can't get out of their own way. They keep stepping on their own penises football but yet too many butt fumbles. But it is the New York Jets. What I was going for number six?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number seven? You're WrestleMania question. In the first WrestleMania it was held in nineteen eighty five. What number WrestleMania was held with no audience due to the COVID nineteen pandemic. Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I watched this live at home when it happened. It was WrestleMania thirty six.
Speaker 2: Wrestle Mania thirty six. Jared, what did you put the.
Speaker 3: I just did the math and I said thirty.
Speaker 2: Five, thirty five or thirty six. Oh my gosh, you guys are right there. The correct answer is wrestle Mania thirty six, thirty six. Ryan needed that one. It is WrestleMania thirty six.
Speaker 4: My favorite part of that whole thing was, I don't know if you remember. Back in the nineties, WWE had a series of pay per views called in Your House. Yeah, and so they made a customs shirt for it. They called it WrestleMania in Your House.
Speaker 2: That had to be so weird because that sport is all about the pageantry and all that stuff of the crowd and the signs and the whatever and the heels and all that stuff. So even with I'm sure they had, you know, the scoreboard and fireworks or whatever. But like all sports, it's like when I see any clips of you know, World Series or whatever games were played in that era football teams where oh they're kicking the winning field goal.
Speaker 4: There's no fans.
Speaker 2: I'm like, god, that was so weird. That was so that's like.
Speaker 3: The cardboard cutout, yeah, in the front row, just so it didn't look as weird like the computer generated fans you have for like base Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did these the fans from like them LB the show video games that remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, just just to make it look not as weird, but it was.
Speaker 3: The audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And finally, question number eight, your final question in the grab bag today was the Aces from what western city have won the past two w NBA championships. Jared, what did you put for number eight?
Speaker 3: I don't even know if they have a team, but I just said.
Speaker 2: Seattle, Seattle to Seattle Aces. Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put Las Vegas, Nevada.
Speaker 2: Las Vegas, Nevada. Correct answer is Las Vegas. They are the last Vegas Aces. You have the Seattle Storm that have won I think like four championships, so they've they've won a bunch, so you've seen them in the in the finals a lot. But it is the Las Vegas Aces. So Brian gets that point. All right, Jackie. Round two, we're at halftime, pop culture grab back. Where are we standing at halftime? See?
Speaker 6: This is when my math confuses me because I because I have Brian having gotten two points in round number two. So if you add that to the seven from round number one, we got nine points total. That's beautiful. That's lovely. We love that for Brian.
Speaker 5: Now I've got Jared.
Speaker 6: With round number one he had six points, and then in round number two he got four points, which means that now he has a grand total of ten. And here's why my brain is getting so confused. Because they were one point away from each other before and there's still one point away from each other.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you have Jared with.
Speaker 5: But their discrepancy was larger?
Speaker 6: I have Jared with ten and I have Brian with nine total.
Speaker 2: I think that's right.
Speaker 4: M hmm, so you're right.
Speaker 5: I just it's just I just want you guys to know why I struggle.
Speaker 6: Like, I just want you to know, like where I'm coming from, what I'm looking at, why I'm confused.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it's confusing for everybody, but.
Speaker 2: It is gets so into the game and the answers and the questions that it's like scorekeeping, it's you get you get a little discompopulated, like all of us.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm also like, if they were one point away before, how are they still one point away? Even though it wasn't as tight around however, I just realized how because got more points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a change, lead change the lead change.
Speaker 5: That's what's messing with my mind.
Speaker 2: Moving on, you want to do a take to or do you want to just go with that?
Speaker 5: No, I want the world to note the truth.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it. It's always up to you, So it is we.
Speaker 2: Have a lead change. Still a one point game, but we did have a lead change. We have Jared in lead ten to nine at halftime. Jared Watson's here. You can follow him on social media on Facebook at Jared C. Watson. He's playing for Saint Jude's Children's Hospital. And then we're here with Brian Henneger. You can follow him on Twitch just look up Brian Henneger and he's playing for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. We got a hell of a game going as we enter round three, which is always our infamous lightning round.
Speaker 1: Round three, the lightning round.
Speaker 2: Brian, you are trailing by once you get to go first in the lightning round, and you could choose from three of my favorite comedians of all time. You could choose either Richard pryor Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock. Again, they have nothing to do with the question nor the answers, but good sir, name your poison.
Speaker 4: I'm Richard Pryor. I'm gonna go with him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Richard Prior, here we go. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible, Jared, you're gonna want to jot some answers down, because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Brian's twenty seconds are up. Here is your Richard Pryor lightning round question. Brian named the nine different presidents of the United States that served after honest Abe Lincoln. Name the nine different presidents of these here United States that served after Abe Lincoln. Twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 4: Okay, Andrew Johnson, US Grant, Millard Fillmore, James Garfield, Grover Cleveland. Oh gosh, James mad No, not James Madison, Oh goodness, uh Woodrow Wilson. Bad that's probably the stop stop stop.
Speaker 2: You got four. You got Andrew Johnson, you got us Grant, you got James A. Garfield, and you got Grover Cleveland, who came back again. You got those four. Great job, Jared, your chance to steal some answers, your five second rebuttal the nine different presidents of the United States that served after a blink in five seconds and go Rusper B.
Speaker 3: Hayes, Chester A Arthur Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, Stop Stop, Stop, stop.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could give you McKinley because it was after the five seconds, but you stole three still three Rutherford B. Hayes, Chester A. Arthur and Benjamin Harrison fantasic. So the two we didn't get to. You got McKinley, but it was just after five and a half seconds. William McKinley, and then Teddy Roosevelt Teddy Ballgame. Teddy Roosevelt was number nine. But you guys killed the Richard Prior lightning round question. Now it's Jared's turn in the barrel. Would you like Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock for your lightning round question?
Speaker 3: After careful consideration, and we'll choose Chris.
Speaker 2: Rock Chris Rock. All right, Eddie Murphy was kind of a geography question. That'll just go in the hopper.
Speaker 5: For a later game line.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, here we go. Here's your Chris Rock Lightning round question. Twenty seconds. I'll say go say as many answers as possible, Brian, write down as many answers as you can. I'm coming straight to you with your rebuttal. Here we go, Chris Rock. Perfun dot com, what are the top nine best selling board games of all time in the history of board games. Per fun dot com, what are the top nine best selling board games of all time? Twenty seconds on the Clock and.
Speaker 3: Go, Monopoly, Scrabble, Operation, Battleship, Chess, The Game of Life, Candyland, Snakes and Ladders, Choose and Layers, Uh, Trouble, U uh, who know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: You did great. You got five, you got Chess, you got Monopoly, Scrabble, Battleship, and Candyland were all in the top.
Speaker 5: He has children. This man has children.
Speaker 4: For sure, four of them. Two nice?
Speaker 2: All right, Brian, your chance to steal some. There's still a few on the board here. Perfun dot com, what are the top nine best selling board games of all time? Five Seconds and Go.
Speaker 4: Risk, The Game of Life, Clue, Recludo, Trivial Pursuit Ugi, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Stop stop. You stole two you got Clue, which was number five, and Trivial Pursuit one of my favorite ones of all time number seven. We had to kick at a little old school for two and eight. You said chess, but we could have said Checkers was on the board and Backgammon. I love backgammon as well, so backgammon was in those top nine. So lightning are one of the most impressive lightning rounds. I think I've ever seen Jackie. How we doing after an impressive lightning round.
Speaker 6: Very impressive lightning round, and it's still truly anyone's game. Jared is keeping the lead of eighteen, but Brian is right behind him with.
Speaker 2: Fifteen eighteen to fifteen. After three we have a three point game. It's going to come down to this last killer round. We're in round four.
Speaker 1: Round four the Double Duty.
Speaker 2: We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight, so there are eighteen very large points up for grabs today. In the Double Duty, we have a kind of a combo round. It's music and television. These are all questions about music and television and how they intertwine. Holy cow, three point game. Here we go. Here's question one of nine. Songs by Badfinger and Tommy James and the Shan reference what color and were used prominently in memorable episodes of Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad and some famous episodes use songs by Bad Finger and Tommy James and the Chondell's and reference what color, and they were used prominently in memorable episodes of Breaking Bad. Name that color for question number one, and if you know the songs that I'm going for, I maybe give you a bonus point. Who knows?
Speaker 6: Did you all see the very sad TikTok of a teacher saying she had a student ask her if it was okay and allowed for her to have breaking bad decorations in her classroom. And she looked around, She's like, what are you talking about? And he was referring to the periodic table.
Speaker 2: That is awesome, That's great, all right? Question number U two of nine. The theme from Freaks and Geeks was bad reputation by what badass female rocker? For question number two? The theme from the Great Show should have never gone out so quickly? Freaks and Geeks the theme song was bad reputation by what badass female rocker? For question number two?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number three? What Don was the longtime host of Soul Train? Don who was the longtime host of that wonderful show Soul Train? For number three?
Speaker 4: All right? Where were we?
Speaker 2: Question number four? Question number four. Welcome Back was the theme song for Welcome Back Cotter and was written performed by John Sebastian, who was the lead singer for the sixties rock band that gave us the hits do You Believe In Magic, Some Are in the City, and what a Day for a day Dream? Daydream? So name that band that John Sebastian fronted before he wrote Welcome Back. Welcome Back was a number one hit song for him in the seventies. It went up to number one. It was a theme song for Welcome Back Cotter. It's my It's become one of my go to karaoke songs because you don't have to be a good singer like pull it off. But yeah, performed by John Sebastian, who was the lead singer of this sixties rock band that gave us the hits do You Believe In Magic, Summer in the City, and day Dream for number four.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Speaking of karaoke, just the TOC, I guess it's kind of an ongoing thing now. The karaoke session at the end of the TOC that was maybe one of the most indelible memories that I'll ever have in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had to follow Amy Schneider singing. She sang peaches by Presidents of the USA, and it's like, oh, okay, well, I get ready for some minus radiohead. Here we go.
Speaker 2: But that's true. Like the last two TOCs have ended with like a karaoke jam or something, and like everyone talks about how what a like just a great like capstone on the on the on that crazy experience of just how much people came together and had such a great time because you guys shared the good, the bad, and the ugly of being on that tournament together.
Speaker 3: I will say, it's like maybe the like the biggest snapshot from that whole thing is seeing yogish Route, who had just won the Tournament of Champions, just like screaming mister Bright's side at the top of his lungs in this bar. It was just it was so cathartic. It was just like such a release of all of this competitive energy that add to escape and it was just ugh that I was always.
Speaker 2: Wonder that is so cool. Yeah, I want to get Yo Gisha on here, and I'll be like, yo, guys, you gotta do it again. You might you might need a couple of libations, but I want you to redo. It's the side I'm.
Speaker 4: Not going to say very very briefly, and I've said this multiple times to Jared privately and our other one else. I'm not trying to you know, get you know, corny here, but I made twenty six new friends that weekend, and it was such an amazing experience and I'll never forget it. It was just what and because what Jared said, we all we all just like you know, we we all accomplished something and we can never forget that we did that. And it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, when when you're old and long in the tooth and you can think back on like, how many people have been on a tournament of Champions on Jeopardy, Not many ever on this earth, and then to be on with such a to be on the biggest one that they've had so far, but to be with that group of people, it was such a memorable group. The last couple years have just been like insanely cool groups of people that happened to be smart as hell.
Speaker 3: Ken hit us with this stat that more people have been to space than have been in a Jeopardy Tournament of Champions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy, that is crazy. That's awesome, fantastic. All right, back to the game, here we go. Question number five. This first hip hop show on MTV was hosted by Fab five Freddy Doctor Dre and ed Lover after school. I would come home and grab a snack and me and my buddies we would watch this show after school. This first hip hop show on MTV was hosted by Fab five Freddy and then Doctor Dre and Ed Lover named that show. For number five, Question number six, Roger Daltrey belting who are you should remind you of what original CBS procedural that ran from two thousand to two thousand and fifteen? Long ass run for this show? For number six, Roger Daltrey belting out who who are you should remind you of? What original CBS procedural that ran from two than to twenty fifteen? For number six, all right, we're down to the final three. It could come down to these three questions. Question number seven. In the Double Duty, the singer Sea Well before her hit song Chandelier, performed the song breathe Me that was used memorably at the end of the series finale of What HBO series in two thousand and five. Again, for number seven, the singer Sea Well before her hit song Chandelier, performed the song breathe Me. It's a beautiful song that was used memorably at the end of the series finale of what HBO series in two thousand and five. Do you guys need a hint on that one?
Speaker 3: Or No, I'm not above charity group playing for.
Speaker 4: Charity, Brian, maybe a little one.
Speaker 2: I just the only thing I'll say is it's just known as being one of the best endings of a TV series ever. Kind of this as wraps into that, all right, question number eight, We are at the next to last question in this round. This metal band led by Bassis Lemmy Killmeister made an appearance on the early eighties BBC sitcom The Young Ones, Great Show. Great band? Name that band? For number eight, This metal band led by Bassis Lemmy Killmeister made an appearance on the early eighties BBC sitcom The Young Ones, Great Show that always featured musical talent, and they would put them in the weirdest slots of the sitcom. They would just show up in different different places.
Speaker 4: A little trivia why they would do that And I actually fook this up once. If they had a musical guest on every episode, that made the show a quote variety program in the eyes of the BBC so they could get a bigger budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get more money to eat the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, to like destroy more stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. Finally, question number nine of nine. In your double douty Redcliff Round, we're talking about music and television. Gilmore Girls used this Woman's Where You Lead, which can be found on the classic album Tapestry. Again, for question number nine, Gilmore Girls use this Woman's Where You Lead as their theme song, which can be found on the classic album Tapestry. So what woman had that album and that song? For question number nine?
Speaker 6: Iconic?
Speaker 4: This has been a great quiz, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Okay, good, do you need any repeats?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I'm good.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's nine of nine. All right, deep breaths, all right, here we go. Pencils down, Let's go over our answers. In the double duty Redcliff Round, it was a music and television round. Question number one was songs by Bad Thing and Tommy James and the Chondell's reference what color and we're used prominently in memorable episodes of the Great show Breaking Bad Jared, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 3: I put the color crimson Crimson. Yeah, the song Crimson and Clover.
Speaker 2: That's a great song. Crimson and Clover. Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: Well, I happened to know one of the songs and the color is blue blue.
Speaker 2: We have Crimson and Blue. What song were you thinking about? Brian?
Speaker 4: Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Chondell's.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have Baby Blue, which was by Bad Finger, my Baby Blue and Crystal Blue Persuasion. So it was blue in reference to the meth that they were cooking all those years, so they used it a lot. So we had Baby Blue by Bad Finger and Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondell's. Two points for Brian, right.
Speaker 4: There, Crystal Blue Persuasion.
Speaker 2: Question number two, the theme from Freaks and Geeks was bad reputation by what badass female rocker?
Speaker 4: Brian Joan Jet and the Black Hearts Joan Jet.
Speaker 2: Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put jone Jet.
Speaker 2: Yes, Joan Jet for number two? Two big points, apiece. It is Joan Jet. I don't get about my reputation. Yeah, great song, great show. Question number three? What Don was a longtime host of Soul Train Jared, Don Cornelius, Don Cornelius, Brian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: All right now that out of hold you I put Don Cornelius as well.
Speaker 2: God, you guys are kicking ass. It is Don Cornelius for number three. Number four. Welcome Back was the theme song for Welcome Back Cotter and was written and performed by John Sebastian, who was the lead singer for the sixties rock band that gave us the hits Do You Believe In Magic, Summer in the City, and Daydream Brian.
Speaker 4: He was the lead singer of eleven Spoonful, The.
Speaker 2: Love and Spoonful Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I also put the leven Spoonful.
Speaker 2: God damn, you guys are on fire and Fuego. It is the Lovin Spoonful for number four? Question number five, The first hip hop show on MTV was hosted by Fab five, Freddy, Doctor Dre and Ed Lover. Jared.
Speaker 3: I put yo MTV raps.
Speaker 2: Yo, MTV raps. Brian, what did you put yo?
Speaker 4: MTV raps? As well? My brother in law Danny says he used to love this show.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, with the exclamation point on the yo. It was Yo MTV raps. For number five. Number six, Roger Daltrey belting, who are you should remind you of what original CBS procedural that ran from twenty to twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: Brian CSI crime Scene Investigation.
Speaker 2: CSI crime Scene Investigation. Jared, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put simply CSI.
Speaker 2: You're both gill You're both getting two points. That is sufficient in my eyes. It ISSI crime Scene Investigation for number six on a roll.
Speaker 4: You know, think about that show is like every spinoff they had a different song by the who is the theme music? Right? I'm kind of glad they're not doing more spinoffs because if they did anything else, all they would be left with would be like Mama's Got a Squeeze Box and some point.
Speaker 2: Boris the Spider for CSI, Cheboygan or something. Yeah, yep, can explain. Yeah, but yeah, the who had to love that. They were like, yeah, just keep making these shows. We'll get all that money.
Speaker 4: Yes more please, yes, yes yeah.
Speaker 2: Question number seven. The singer Sea Well before her hit song Chandelier, performed the song Breathe Me that was used memorably at the end of the series finale of What HBO series in two thousand and five. Jared, I put six feet under, six feet under.
Speaker 4: Brian, what did you put exactly what I put. Six Feet Under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the best endings of any show, in any series. It is six Feet Under and the Fisher Family. Yeah, that song is wonderful and the ending of that is remarkable. Question number eight. This metal band led by bassist Lemmy Killmeister, made an appearance on the early eighties BBC sitcom The Young Ones. Brian put Motorhead Motorhead. Jared, what did you put.
Speaker 3: One of the best unnecessary umlots in history in Motorhead?
Speaker 2: Ah? Correct, on all accounts, it is Motorhead. For number eight, the Ace of Spades. Yeah, they sing Ace of Spades. They just there having a party at their house on the show The Young Ones. And they just open one of the bedroom doors and there's Lemmy and the boys playing as of Spades in the middle of this party and it kicks ass. It's so great. Look it up on YouTube Motorhead on The Young Ones. It's so good. And finally, question number nine, Gilmore Girls use this Woman's Where You Lead, which can be found on the classic album Tapestry. Jared, what did you.
Speaker 3: Put put Carol King?
Speaker 2: Carol King? Brian? What did you put?
Speaker 4: Lady who actually wrote a few songs, I think for the Monkeys before she got big Carol.
Speaker 2: Kane, Carol King. Correct answer is the wonderful Carol King. Oh my god, destruction. You guys ruled the roost in the Double Duty, Radcliffe round the Music and TV round Jackie, she's carrying the one. She's got our avoc her slide rule. No, this is important because this was they They got pretty much all of them, right, yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: So I want to make sure you get this right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Eighteen to fifteen.
Speaker 5: Guys, what a tight game.
Speaker 6: I thought for sure, but again look at me looking at the numbers and not understanding.
Speaker 5: I thought for sure we were going to end up with a tie. We didn't.
Speaker 6: Somebody won by one point. H MG, who is it.
Speaker 5: It's Jared.
Speaker 6: It's actually Jared, the smartest person in the world for one week. Brian right there, right there, thirty three points, and.
Speaker 3: I think it's worth worth noting that he had a perfect fourth round.
Speaker 2: Yes, so perfect round. In the Double Duty. Brian had a perfect rown. So yeah, so it was it was thirty five to thirty four, thirty four three, Oh my god. Those are some of the best scores. We've had thirty.
Speaker 5: That last round was insane thirty.
Speaker 2: Three barn Burner with a perfect score. Brian, you couldn't do anything else? Did You did your best? Brian. You can follow him again on Twitch at Brian Henneger. We're happy to make a donation into his name and all those survivors' names to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Check out Ceramic Dalmatian Entertainment on Twitch every Friday nine pm Eastern six pm Pacific. And then our champ, the smartest person in the World for one week, Jared Watson. Follow him on Facebook at Jared C. Watson. We're happy to make a donation in his name to Saint Jude's Children's Hospital, and check out him as the co host of that great YouTube channel, trek Time Jens. It was a pleasure, But the day is not over because it's time for Jackie to join us for our final throwdown.
Speaker 1: The final throwdown.
Speaker 2: Jackie, what do you got in store for us today?
Speaker 5: I want you all to tell me who I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 6: This actor who learned how to act to control his stutter was the first African American actor to play the President of the United States in a movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, so immediately thinking stutter famously James Earl Jones.
Speaker 7: I was thinking, yeah, yeah, the late now yep, but always great legendary James Earl Jones was a stutterer in his teams.
Speaker 4: I was thinking Samuel L. Jackson because he has a stutter.
Speaker 5: I'm learning so many new things today.
Speaker 2: So Jackie, before we like do our final honts, just keep going, give us like another clue and we'll see if we're going towards one or the other.
Speaker 6: This person received a Kennedy Center Honor in December twenty twenty, two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think that would be too early for Samuel and Jell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like Morgan Freeman's played the President one hundred times and Dennis Haysbert has played it, but like he wouldn't win a Kennedy Center awards. So yeah, how about one more Jackie? Just I think we know what we're going, but let's do one more thing.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: Or not?
Speaker 2: You don't have to. I thought he's already ready to go.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I'm looking at a I had, I had my thing written and then you're asking him for more. This isn't this is just a fun fact. But it's not even fun. It's it's a surprising fact. This person does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Speaker 4: What, Yeah, that is a that is a Travis Yeah that is.
Speaker 5: But it's also not a shocker because you you, you know, you pay for.
Speaker 6: That, pay ten grand to nominate yourself and then pay for it.
Speaker 4: It's more than that. It's like twenty five grand.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, maybe it's more than that. Now where he's like to.
Speaker 4: Weird All Yankovic so long to get his because his fans actually put together called the weird Al Star Fund, and then they raised ten thousand dollars to put a star in the hall, and then they jacked up the price.
Speaker 3: Crap.
Speaker 4: Then he got it.
Speaker 2: So I think, yeah, I think think we're all set on on the wonderful The late great James Earl Jones absolutely correct.
Speaker 5: I did not know that he had a stutter.
Speaker 6: I did not know that Samuel Jackson has. I'm learning so much about all of these people who defeated stuttering through acting and just.
Speaker 2: To have like to be known as kind of the voice too from a stutter, not to just like get over your stutter, to be like one of the most memorable voices in the history of mankind.
Speaker 5: Is incredible, incredible. Yeah, what a game, great job, everybody very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a what a great long life he had? What Yeah, what a great game we had, Jence, this was a pleasure. And yeah, I hope I get to see you fellas in real life and tip one back and uh and and hang out.
Speaker 4: Amen. Amen, you know I've met I was a little nervous about doing this, but I got to say this. You know, being on Jeopardy was such an amazing experience. I'm not gonna say everything that happened as a result of it was great, but nine to nine percent of it has been great. And one of the things that's been the absolute best is I've met so many amazing people. Jared, I've met you before, but mister Nelson and Jackie you are two great hosts. It was a pleasure and a privilege. And if you get asked to do this show, do it because it's it's a great game. But the crack is, I mean, the the good time you have is the most important part of it to me, and I've we.
Speaker 3: Just can't get away from myth, can we?
Speaker 4: Yes, we can Hey, when I saw drugs. When I said the crack, I meant cr a I C. It's an Irish phrase. It was like a good time you had with your friends. Look, I'm straight edged, I'm this crazy sober. So see you.
Speaker 1: Next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the Massons. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry Carey, So long everybody.
Speaker 4: You Should Know Better?
Speaker 2: As produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over tenent Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico