Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It felt good to get back out there on the.
Speaker 1: Streets, the mean streets of Burbank. So I get down there and I see one of the picketers and I say, hey, good afternoon.
Speaker 2: Well you're all protesting for well.
Speaker 3: Just about half hour, maybe forty minutes ago, they started setting up what looks like a protest and they're gonna chit chat. They've got some speakers and to the point where Burbank PD has rolled out a couple motor units out here and they're they're keeping an eye on everything and making sure that none of whatever is happening gets out of hand. Yeah, but they're on California Street as opposed to Alameda.
Speaker 4: So are they targeting something specifically?
Speaker 1: Well, what I got was a woman who told me that they are all animators. They're all in the animation industry, and they're in the middle of contract talks with producers. They want animation wages, whatever that means. That explains why they're all pale. They're not vegans. It's because they're inside animating things. Okay, And then another woman came out and she said, I heard you guys talking about about this on the radio.
Speaker 2: She works on the third floor.
Speaker 1: Were right, And she says, what what's the deal? And I said, animators apparently, and I told her the story and then get in the elevator to go back up, and there's another guy that gets in and he goes, what were they doing? And I go, they were they're animators, and he goes, well, they weren't very f and animated and he's using the word, the full F word, and he's.
Speaker 5: Like, while they put some of that F and s they put in their cartoons in their protest F Like he was into it, like he was like, why aren't they animated?
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: If they're animators, they should have an animated protest. I'm like, bro, you don't need to be mad at it. But he has a point. It's not very animated down there.
Speaker 4: Well, I would also say.
Speaker 2: They should dress up like characters or something. Right.
Speaker 3: The signs are also not very creative.
Speaker 4: I mean, if it's supposed to be a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Creator exactly, That's what I wanted to say, but I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings or step on it. But if we were in charge of this protest, we'd have you out there as goofy walking around in a costume. We'd have big signs that had clever things.
Speaker 4: It would be easy to read from across the street.
Speaker 2: Not QR codes for the love.
Speaker 3: Anyway, They've done this before, Animation Guild workers. This is tag the Animation Guild. They marched a couple of weeks ago on the Netflix offices. They said the goal of this petition is to remind executives in charge that while animation workers kept content alive during COVID and animation is currently outperformed live action on screens and in merch sales, animation workers are facing unprecedented levels of unemployment, losing their healthcare, their homes, and their livelihood.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well that explains everything. What else is going on? Time four? What's happening?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Water damage, fire damage, Burglary called public adjuster ab their gap eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 4: Bomb cyclone is coming.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Western states are bracing for atmospheric river storms and a possible bomb cyclone as much as fifteen to twenty plus inches of rain are going to fall in the higher elevations of the mountain, the coastal Mountain ranges over the next week. We're talking about a big area from the western Oregon Washington order through northern California that's going to pick up at least six inches land slides because there's a lot of burn scars.
Speaker 3: Strong wind gus could lead to power outages most of those along the coast. Wind whipped waves could also be crashing on the shoreline, and they're calling this a fire hose of moisture. Oh expected to see multiple feet of snow in the Cascades in Oregon Washington, especially southward towards the Klamath Mountains.
Speaker 4: Here in northern California.
Speaker 3: Said most of a weaker storm that hit the Pacific Northwest is shifting east today, but they're going to see some showery conditions through Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon is when they're expecting some of this to hit up north a little bit.
Speaker 1: Spirit Airlines filed today for Chapter eleven bankruptcy production months after a judge blocked that merger with Jet Blue. They say that they have posted an open letter to those who have booked tickets for the future, flight ticket sales other ops will continue as normal, and said the most important thing is to know that you can continue to book and fly now and in the future.
Speaker 2: Who's going to do that though?
Speaker 1: I mean I went and book a flight in six months on Spirit Maybe if you're flying next week.
Speaker 3: Right, that's it. That is a good point. I figured out what's wrong with your internet?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: There was a cable that links Finland and Germany that has disrupted communications service.
Speaker 2: Can I ever tell you about the time I was in Helsinki or Berlin?
Speaker 4: No? Did you wash your hands in the bathroom? No?
Speaker 2: I never do when I'm in Europe.
Speaker 3: The Sea Lion one cable connects Helsinki to Rockston, Germany ross Stake in Germany.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's exactly where I was.
Speaker 3: Built and operated by a state controlled Finnish company. They said, this cable is the only direct connection of its kind between Finland and Central Europe, and it runs alongside other key pieces of infrastructure. But they don't know what caused this fault. The malfunction Malwatt comes just weeks after the US warned that it had detective detected increased Russian military activity around key under sea cables and then the Kremlin said that this is what you would say if you were going to cut gables.
Speaker 1: So I live in the sand Gambrel Valley and there are parrots there, the parrots that have propagated ever since escaping a local parrotry. Now, animal advocates believe someone is targeting the wild parrot population.
Speaker 4: Do they make noise?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, they do, but they're beautiful. In the last few weeks, wildlife experts report they've had more than a dozen of these birds turn up dead or injured. People are shooting at them. Shootings have left some of the parrots with holes through their bodies and broken wings. Some have even been run over by cars.
Speaker 4: These broken wings.
Speaker 2: Stop it.
Speaker 1: This is horrible. That's not even a topical song.
Speaker 4: Do you mean it's not topical.
Speaker 2: It's from nineteen four.
Speaker 4: Definitely topical. It's just not curbt It's awful.
Speaker 1: These are beautiful Animals' honestly shooting them with they said, pellets. Okay, that's awful. I think we should shoot the people that are shooting the parrots with pellets. I don't care what we shoot him with. I've got a monkey problem.
Speaker 3: We do have a monkey problem. We'll get to that at the bottom of the hour. That's when we're gonna do that monkey story.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're gonna put a whole segment in.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, listen, I'm for it.
Speaker 2: I'm for it.
Speaker 1: Peanut the squirrel kind of now he broke something. Don't forget about Fred. You always forget about Fred, and it's hurtful. Nobody ever talks about Fred. They only talk about Peanut being euthanized. Fred was killed too, by the government for doing nothing. And Fred they didn't even bite anyone. Peanut allegedly bit someone. We don't have any proof of that. That was just their story. But Fred, Fred did nothing and he gets freaking killed by the government.
Speaker 4: What happened to you outside?
Speaker 2: I just I like to fight for what's right too, I guess.
Speaker 3: So why you should play the lottery on your break?
Speaker 2: Do you even remember what kind of animal Fred was?
Speaker 4: He's a raccoon? Okay? Good.
Speaker 3: Stacy Hagberg, a nurse from Shasta County one under break and did what she always does, drink vodka. No, she tries her luck with the California lottery scratcher and on break she scratched saw one comma and said, oh, my gosh. My coworkers thought I was telling her she did something wrong, and I said, no, I think I just won a million dollars. Despite the influx of cash, Nurse Stacy says she plans to continue working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think I get that.
Speaker 1: As far as I get that, I would continue working, I hope.
Speaker 2: So, no, you don't. You don't mean that. That was the worst lie I've heard in a long time.
Speaker 4: Because I looked away.
Speaker 1: You turn it completely around and said, uh huh.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: You would be bored.
Speaker 1: If you weren't at work. Yeah, that's okay. I mean you'd be happy, but bored.
Speaker 4: Happy and bored.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how, like all of Wi Fi just goes down. Yeah, now it's working.
Speaker 4: Wait, who are they.
Speaker 2: They're applauding someone down there.
Speaker 4: There's a couple hundred people there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's getting more animated.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 3: Uh again, Burbank PD does have his eye on this. It's I on this. Whatever protest is going on out there for the the.
Speaker 1: Animators, they probably have a permit to do so that's when the cops usually.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say the Burbank PD would have shut this down long ago.
Speaker 1: If they did not an unlawful assembly. They're on the sidewalk. True, They're just fighting for their animation as long as they stay.
Speaker 4: Out of the way that driveways. If you want to hack anybody's password from Boston, you basically have choices.
Speaker 3: It's either Yankees suck exclamation point or Tom Brady rules exclamation point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, checks out.
Speaker 4: That is pretty funny, all right.
Speaker 3: A bunch of stories that are going on that we're keeping our eyes on. The Kremlin is now warning Washington that the decision to let Ukraine hit targets inside Russia with these longer range missiles could stoke the war at escalate international tensions. This shift that came out of the Biden administration marks a thousand days since Russia's full scale invasion Ukraine. Said Russian missiles hit the town of Sumi northern Ukraine and Odessa in the south, killing at least twenty one people. But American officials say that President Biden has eased the limits on what Ukraine could strike with the American made Army Tactical missile system after months of ruling out such a move over fears of the thing escalating, But a spokesman for the Kremlin said, yes, this is adding fuel to the fire and provoking further escalation of tensions.
Speaker 2: The carrots have killed people.
Speaker 1: La County public health officials say two local cases have been linked to those organic carrots, you guys, and that one of the patients in La County has died.
Speaker 4: So that's two deaths now as a result.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine dying over a carrot. You're not dying over a chocolate cake. You're not dying over a cheeseburger, You're not dying over caviar.
Speaker 2: You're dying over a carrot. That's awful. That is awful.
Speaker 4: Some people fight for carrots.
Speaker 2: Who fights for carrots? Carrot people?
Speaker 1: Even Deborah won't fight for a carrot like she. I mean, well she'd eat it, but she went fight for it. You would you what would you die over in your diet?
Speaker 2: Diet? Would be the garbanzo being I.
Speaker 1: Love garzo bee it's probably lentils quine.
Speaker 2: Wah. What food would you die over?
Speaker 4: Garrett?
Speaker 1: I like all those things that she just said, Yeah, I'm not dying for them. You would die for maybe a good steak.
Speaker 3: No, the right pizza, the right pizza, not just any pizza.
Speaker 4: I know We've talked about this many times. But it's got to be the right pizza.
Speaker 1: So it's not like so like boobs pizzas, not like boobs, no pizzas very much like, but the right pizza. Like it's I thought all pizza was good pizza like, but.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah it is. But there are better pizzas.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right, but they're all good.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: I still I still love the Totino's pizza, the frozen. While you can get it for like a buck, a buck and a quarter, you can get three for five.
Speaker 4: Sometimes some of those tear up my mouth.
Speaker 2: I know, isn't it great if it's not tearing.
Speaker 1: From It was an excellent week eleven, especially at sofar last night for Sunday Night Football. I knew it was going to be a magical night when Jim Harbaugh came out on Monday and said, hey, fans, we need you there, and he kept that narrative through the week.
Speaker 2: We need you there, We need you loud.
Speaker 1: When Jim Harbaugh calls on you.
Speaker 2: You answer.
Speaker 1: We've seen it on the sideline, We've seen it at practice at the facility. These are players that want to play for Jim Harbaugh. He just has a way of bringing it out to every program. No matter where he goes, he has the same effect. And he's done it with the fan base that nobody thought could be done. It's the twenty eleven forty nine Ers all over again. Nobody thought this fan base was going to be this good. Nobody thought those forty nine ers were going to be this good. Nobody thought any of the teams he was going to he would be able to turn around as quickly as he did. And he's done it with the La Chargers fan base. Let's be honest, this fan base has been very quiet, and they've sucked, and we've been in a soccer stadium and it's been a slog and there's a lot of people with hurt feelings in San Diego and I get it. But last night the fan base came alive. You saw hints of it at the Titans game last week At so far the we're like, well, what is the crowd is loud? But last night it was electric from go. It was an all powder blue. I thought it was gonna be all Bengals fans because they travel well, they've got a very dedicated fan base, but it was a home field advantage. It was a home crowd last night, and it started before the game when the Chief's Bills game was on the Oculus and that whoever was already at the stadium and trickling in there saw the Chiefs lose.
Speaker 2: The roar of the crowd at so far.
Speaker 1: When they saw the Chiefs lose, I'm like, this is going to be a special night, and it was. The noise was deafening. Now some of the fans don't get it completely. Like it was the fourth quarter. There was maybe a handful of minutes to go, four or five minutes to go. The Bills are I'm sorry, the Bengals are driving, and even if it's first down or second down, you've got to be loud. If it's the end of the fourth quarter, it's a tie ball game, it's Sunday night football. You're on your feet and you're yelling like it's third down and fourth down every down. That's just what you do. And I don't think they figured that out yet. The first and second down late in the game, but third down, fourth down, the crowd was there. There's one other thing that didn't really get because when Justin got the ball back, the crowd didn't die down, and it was like, okay, offense at work, this is when we're sh But they were so excited. And there's so many brand new powder blue justin Herbert jerseys and everyone will figure it out.
Speaker 2: But it was so nice to hear.
Speaker 1: So if I get that loud, I mean I haven't heard it that loud since the Rams forty nine or playoff game.
Speaker 3: The timing of it was the timing of the primetime game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in this arena.
Speaker 3: I mean, at this time, with this record, with the challenge of the Bengals coming in and they can pull off a win, that's pretty great. I mean the number of prime time games that they have coming up still, yeah, and the potential for other games that could be flexed into primetime, Like that's a this is a huge moment for them, right.
Speaker 1: And next Monday night it's the Harba BWL the Ravens come to town Monday Night football. I still have flashbacks of the last harbbable I saw the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That was I was I was troubling.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we had a bunch of winners in gas Fantasy four players.
Speaker 2: I went four and O you went for and I sure did you a delight.
Speaker 3: Houston is in Dallas tonight for a Monday night football game. Dallas is a mess and eighty five ditch days until pitchers and catchers report that.
Speaker 1: Whole stadium is going through it right with that bad fight over the weekend, and they got the sunlight.
Speaker 4: Got quite a stink on it.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, gracious, but we had a handful of winners. Chargers Girl, I love her, Chris Nelson.
Speaker 4: Bradley, Chargers Girl, and Charger Girl.
Speaker 1: Yes, smart women, Alan and Erica Graham, cat Wendy all winners up.
Speaker 4: Next our monkey story.
Speaker 3: I listen, you thought Peanut the squirrel was the beginning and end of this along with Fred the raccoon. No, no, the government is cracking down on animals and they do not like it.
Speaker 4: When you don't follow the rules.
Speaker 3: Farther in the Middle East, and Israeli air strike hit a densely populated area in the capital of Lebanon, close to the UN headquarters, close to their parliament, close to the Prime Minister's office. The National News Agency as Lebanon state run media said the two missiles hit the area in this neighborhood of Beirut, killed at least five wounded eighteen. The strike comes after reports that the US envoy has delayed his visit for ceasefire talks.
Speaker 4: The target of the air strikes still unclear.
Speaker 3: In the Israeli army apparently did not issue a prior warning, which is unusual for them.
Speaker 1: A new study is shedding light on why so many people like to fall asleep to a movie or a show.
Speaker 2: I used to be like that.
Speaker 1: I was probably like this until I got married or started living with my now husband. I was like this as a kid, and it was funny because when I met my sister, she's like this. She's like this to this day. Or she has to fall asleep, she prefers friends, which is the most annoying thing to fall asleep to.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. Weird like I'll wake up.
Speaker 1: At three in the morning and all he can hear is like Chandler bing, and I just I can't, but she needs it. So new study shedding light on why people do this. A Cleveland Clinic psychologist says falling asleep to the TV or something streaming is soothing and calming, similar to white noise.
Speaker 2: I do have a white noise machine.
Speaker 1: She adds that the sleeping ritual also helps distract people from racing thoughts. However, the blue light from a TV or a device may lead to less quality sleep. It can prevent the body from releasing melatonin. Listen to calming music instead or reading or meditating right before time.
Speaker 3: I used to do music on a regular basis a lot of time. A lot in college I had music playing.
Speaker 2: I threw on a sleep meditation. So I guess that's okay.
Speaker 4: I don't want to have to think about the stuff, though, you don't.
Speaker 1: It kind of lulls you to say it kind of turned slowly, turns your mind off.
Speaker 3: Oh and oh boy, I just remembered I have a very specific sense memory.
Speaker 4: I think I've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: My wife and I got a heartbeat lullaby CD yeah, for when our kid was born. Yeah, And we would play that and it would be like forty five or fifty five minutes of music lullabies, instrumental lullabies, but with a heartbeat soundtrack mixed into.
Speaker 2: It, like a Jeffrey Dahmer thing weird.
Speaker 3: And I still remember, I mean, I can still hear those songs in my head because we were so tired, so exhausted, trying to get our kid to go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Man, that sounds awful.
Speaker 3: Oh, you feel like you constantly have a cold. There's a there's an influencer out of Dallas who had her spider monkey taken away from her because she was arrested for d w I. Now there's more to that story than just that she was popped for Dewey. Brandy Botello's spider monkey, Georgie Boy, was taken from her custody.
Speaker 2: They're irving.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallas suburb where she lives prohibits ownership of wild animals, so the monkey was transferred to its animal control department. It was eventually moved to an animal sanctuary.
Speaker 4: They said that it they said that it looked.
Speaker 1: They said that the monkey was diagnosed with rickets, which is the very antiquated rickets is from a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but ricketts and monkeys is probably pretty common.
Speaker 1: It's a bone disease called by inadequate nutrition rickets. How would they know the monkey was malnourished? How would you just look at a monkey having no monkey knowledge.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming they talked to somebody who has, as you refer to it, monkey knowledge. But in this case, they said it was about half the weight that it should have been for the type of monkey and for the age of the monkey.
Speaker 4: And again all they're saying is that.
Speaker 3: She a crymatologist, Yes, someone with monkey knowledge. A A an accident took place that she was involved with, and someone was arrested for DWI, the Dallas or the at least the Irving Police Department, I'm not sure which agency it was. They didn't identify the driver in this single vehicle crash, but she told a TV station she was the one who was arrested with that DWY. She said that a male acquaintance of hers was in fact driving the vehicle and that she only climbed into the driver's seat after the crash.
Speaker 2: That's very convenient.
Speaker 3: She was drunk, she admits, but she was asleep in the passenger seat while holding Georgie Boy when the crash actually happened.
Speaker 1: Well, Georgie Boy is in a sanctuary now called.
Speaker 4: The Funky Monkey Ranch.
Speaker 1: The Funky Monkey Ranch. This is a Georgie Boy has special needs. His head and feet are not proportionate to his body. What he's the size of a one year old monkey, though he'll turn three in February. He's got tiny fractures in his bones, which were not from the car accident, from the rickets.
Speaker 4: They say.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, he was forced to live a lifestyle that was detrimental to his health. He grew up spending his nights in nightclubs, partying around drugs and alcohol, what not, eating a healthy diet that a spider monkey would eat. He was a party monkey. This was like, this was like a monkey form of you know me in my twenties. The sanctuary is mine is the rickets? Yeah, well, the sanctuary is doing sun therapy with Georgie Boy twice a day for the next six weeks, and then he'll go back to the vet for more X rays to see how his little bones are healing. Then he's going to start physical therapy. What if he misses the club, what if he misses the streets. You can't you can't take Georgia Boy out of the club. I mean, you can take Georgia Boy out of the club. You can't take the club out of Georgie Boy. Yes, this is all he knows.
Speaker 4: Tough.
Speaker 3: Hey, he almost died. He almost died because the city of Irvine. Irving has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to animals like this. They were going to euthanize him, but the Funky Monkey Ranch stepped forward and said, we'll take Georgie Boy for now, Dallas back to health.
Speaker 1: The Dallas Greater Area, being American, decided, you know what, it's not our role in government to kill Georgia Boy the way they did with Peanut and wherever Peanut was from New Jersey?
Speaker 3: Is that the difference between red states and blue states? It might the mentality of which animals get it and which ones don't.
Speaker 1: My god, poor Peanut and Fred. They could have used a Funky Monkey sanctuary.
Speaker 3: What do you think sun therapy consists of twice a day for the next six I.
Speaker 1: Think it consists of being out in the sun and getting some vitamin D. Remember Georgie Boy's been in the club under the fluorescent lights. It's true, just like the animators very pale.
Speaker 3: But they're getting out there and doing sun therapy right now.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: That's why they're all in hats, you know what I mean? You take that skin out into the sunlight once every eight to ten years, you need to put a hat on.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP