Speaker 1: Listen, all you New Yorkers.
Speaker 2: You can't taxi.
Speaker 3: Okay, they were looking around. This is the 77 WABC minicast. It's in the hands of the jury now, the Lindsay Clancy case. Everybody across America is talking about this. The woman who killed her three young kids. And it comes down to sort of a battle of the experts, mental illness, a whole bunch more. And joining us now to talk about all of this, who better, John, than Dr.
Speaker 4: Mark Siegel?
Speaker 2: Dr.
Speaker 3: Siegel, what do you think? I'm sure you were watching this case and everybody's wondering how could somebody, it looks like, plan before, during, after, and then now they're also saying she was psychotic. That's part of her defense. Explain this from a mental perspective.
Speaker 2: I've been covering this case for weeks now, so I'll boil it down for you. First of all, The defense was saying a cocktail of medications and poor health care. Well, the medications don't really play a major role here, actually, unless. There's two that she was on at the very end, Remeron and Trazodone, that could cause psychosis. But she was being monitored for that and hadn't shown signs of it. So theory one from the defense is psychosis, some overbearing, commanding voice telling her to kill her children, coming out of the blue because it wasn't something she had for months, like Andrea Yates. That's the defense position on this. And frankly, all of their evidence on this is false. is forensic. It's after the fact. It's not something that was put forth by her providers that were taking care of her, but they say the providers did a poor job. The prosecution today actually finally made a really strong case in closing arguments, saying that she was hiding her plan, that she didn't feel like she was suicidally depressed, but she couldn't end her own life until she got her kids out of the way. They called them like broken toys. And so she was not valuing them properly, had to get them out of the way, didn't want them to see each other as she ended them. Really horrific. And then felt free to commit suicide herself. So they feel the prosecution carefully planned crime with the husband told, don't come home, go to the CVS pharmacy. I think that as the case has gone on, it's gone more for the latter, the prosecution's view. The other was like women's health is being overlooked, women's mental health is being overlooked. For sure, that's true, Rita. And, you know, postpartum depression overlooked, postpartum psychosis almost never discussed. And she didn't get great medical care. But I think the case is moving more and more in the direction that this was a crime. Now, it's Massachusetts, so all bets are off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think all bets are off. And I said it before to Rita that I think that they should just, you know, not convict her as a criminal, but put her in a mental health institution and see how things, how do they say it, things sort themselves out.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, John, one quick thing about that. Andrea Yates was put in a mental hospital and it ended up being totally the right move because she suffers and grieves every day for her children and has tried to do charity work. And when they've tried to release her, she's refused to be released. The biggest concern is, of course, that somebody goes home in two years, but should not Andrew Yates. So I think that you're right, that a mental hospital is the right setting for this, provided that the person stays there.
Speaker 4: Governor Patterson has two cents to put in.
Speaker 1: So, Mark, was there any fitness to proceed hearing before this trial started? Because, you know, back like 40 years ago when I worked in one of these DA's offices, Almost immediately, the defense would have the alleged perpetrator tested to make sure. And if the psychiatrist determined that this person doesn't understand the charges made against them and can't assist with their own defense, they do send them to a mental hospital.
Speaker 2: That's a really important point, Governor, that nobody has brought up. And I think that that would have been proper in this case because we can't even tell. The theory on this is, by the way, that she had a temporary psychosis with the voice telling her what to do and that now she's not having that. But all jurors' eyes are on her in the trial looking how she's responding to all of this. But so in other words, she would have probably been deemed fit to stand trial because as opposed to Andrea Yates, who drowned her children, the voice stayed for months. With her, it was reportedly or allegedly a transient voice. But fitness to stand trial is definitely something that should have been brought into play here, but wasn't.
Speaker 3: You know, I have just a question. Getting into the whole psychosis issue, Dr. Siegel, because it is fascinating. Today, the prosecution, I was watching some of the closing arguments. They talked about how she sent her husband out to a pharmacy, and they were kind of alluding that she wanted him to go longer so he would be gone longer to do this. So there was a lot of planning. It looked like just very organized thought at the time. and obviously the crime is horrific. It's so just shockingly horrific. But to your point, and then in the case, the doctors, the voices, she only heard it during this time, right? She never heard it before. She never heard it after. I mean, just from your professional, can somebody have that just for those 20 minutes or 15, 20 minutes and then go back to seeming to be more normal?
Speaker 2: It can happen. It's much less likely than with Andrea Yates where it goes on for months, but it can happen. But your point about organization and literally putting the children in separate rooms so they wouldn't see it happening to the other child or sending the husband out, that speaks more for premeditation. That's what the prosecution is saying. I think what John is saying is no matter which is true, suicidal depression versus postpartum psychosis, whichever is true, she's a severely mentally ill woman that should be in a hospital. That's what John is saying, I believe.
Speaker 4: I truly believe that because there's got to be a loose screw if she did it and it's horrible. As long as she could stay there. Listen, I see how mothers love their children.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean— And for her to— if it was her that did it, there's got to be a loose screw.
Speaker 3: And also, you know what's interesting? And this is interesting to John's point. By all accounts, from what I've heard, she seemed to have been a loving mother. Like, that's what is interesting through all of this. I just hope if she ends up in a mental institution, she never gets out.
Speaker 2: By the way, the idea of being a loving mother goes to the psychotic idea of something called altruistic infanticide, where she was taking the children to heaven with her. That would be the psychotic delusion that she could have been suffering from, horrible as that is. That's very common in these situations.
Speaker 3: It's just shocking. Three kids under the age of five.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, Dr.
Speaker 3: Siegel, let's see what the jury does. We love having you on, doctor. Thank you very much. You get your perspective.
Speaker 2: Very disturbing case. We've discussed it well, but wow, is that horrible. Horrible. As John says, we're here to protect our children.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your common sense, Dr. Siegel. Thank you.