Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This is Balls and Teas, your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of dives, drives, and delightful better.
Speaker 2: The Alright, ladies, and welcome to yet another episode of the one on only Balls and Teasers. I usually say this is the only podcast that you actually want to be tuned in on a Wednesday evening. And you know who is Tony told the magician the ball with a lot of flair and yes, I am a classic. Ladies and gentlemen, if you've only rejoined us we started following us, I have to let you know that you have made the right choice, because Alls and Teas is number one when it comes.
Speaker 3: To social golf podcast.
Speaker 2: We talk to social golfers, we talk to professional golfers, we talk to people who don't even play golf. Just to make sure that we create an inclusive environment for the golf society. So, ladies, and gentlemen, if you don't know the drill. Basically, what we do is as follows. Right the first segment or the first five minutes of the show, I will be introducing what's going to be happening today, and I need you guys to really read the focus because this is the key factor that you need to take into consideration, which is make sure that you've got a big, big glass of ice cold water, because this show is about to get hot tonight. You won't even be able to stand up from your city if you're sitting.
Speaker 3: You won't be able to change your lanes if you're driving.
Speaker 2: But please don't drive and listen to radio and don't drive, don't try to drive and focus too much on us, because we don't want no problems. So, ladies and gentlemen, today we've got a guest and he is already waiting in anticipation to get the show started. He can't even wait no more. He's been saying, Tony, Tony, where we're going live? So let me not delay my guests no more. But I'm going to ask you to please sit back as we go and take a two minute break as you get that as cold glass of water and then when we come back, our guest will be introduced and we are about to make.
Speaker 3: Things hot up in here.
Speaker 2: So please go for the two minutes, and then when we come back we're back on.
Speaker 1: In the world where fairways meet the airwaves. We're Birdies and banker Collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This is Balls and Tease your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of divents, drives and delightful Better.
Speaker 2: The ladies and gentlemen, thank you once again for tuning in and for sitting.
Speaker 3: Where you are.
Speaker 2: But as I said, you are about to get hold yes Victoria, and how thing as a whole has been raining since last night and the weather is changing. I mean it's mid April, so May it's about getting and you know May comes with cold water. So even though there's the case, today is about.
Speaker 3: To get hot.
Speaker 2: Hence whiter I said, get that ice cold glass of water. Without any further you, ladies and gentlemen, please give me a chance to welcome the one, the only David West.
Speaker 3: Mess to West, how you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great today, thank you. It's a slightly cold in Johannesburg and as you say, a bit wet, but all is good.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen, Dave, I have something before I even ask you to introduce yourself, I think you should host this show with me because you've got the right tone.
Speaker 5: We can make a deal afterwards, I would say.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I tried to introduce you, but I don't think I did age just this to you. Would you mind be introducing yourself to our audience, to them who David West is?
Speaker 3: What is it that you do? And how did you stumble upon both?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sorry, Yeah, my neigh is Davis.
Speaker 4: I wear a number of hats in life, and because I've been around in life, I'm heading to my senior years, married two kids. I wear three hats. I'm a minister or pastor of the church on a INNGO leader. We run an NGO to help displaced people, getting people off the streets, doing all sorts of that. That's a whole lot of stuff we do. And I'm also a professional Integra life coach and facilitator. And what I'm not is I'm not a professional golfer, but oh boy, do I love golf.
Speaker 2: I like how you say watch You're not like you're not a professional golfer, but at the same time you love the spot. Oh yes, And speaking about golf, I mean, as you said, you're approaching your senior yes, and with so many tasks that you're busy with in a day life, when do you start saying golf And how do you actually manage and make sure that you continue to play golf with all the possibilities that you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so I go golf. I mean I've always known about the game. I always loved the game. I was brought up as a child my father played regularly. But only about twenty five years ago, I was actually on a long leave trip in Australia. Some mates took me playing golf with them on a holiday and I thought, I love this and I couldn't wait to get back to South Africa to play in better weather and better courses in Australia. But anyway, I got back and here I am, and I just started playing the game. I regalarly try to get a game, and yeah, I went for some coaching and golf's got this thing.
Speaker 5: I don't think you can really like golf.
Speaker 4: I think you actually fall in love with it and it just becomes really a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 2: And you know, if anything that I always share with, whether my audience or my comrades, I would, let's say, if there's something about the spot, it's a love and hate relationship because you can go fully fred onto the course saying you know what, today, I'm going to knock the lads out of this court. Then it does opposite, and then after you're done with your eighteen holes, you sit and you reflect and you're like, I had a lot of fun, and you give yourself a pat on the back to say I did well today.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, absolutely, you say it's a love and hate game. I also think it's a game that does two things to you. It humbles you and humiliates you. And it can do that at the same time.
Speaker 5: But you're right.
Speaker 4: When you finish through all the humiliation and the humbling, you just sit back and you think that was just a lovely way to spend the last four hours.
Speaker 2: Now they want to find out from you. I mean we met on the golf course and at tushi. Yeah, it's the buddy challenge golf day, right, But apart from from that particular both day, how often do you try to play golf in a week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I try to play probably one and a half times, so I generally play a full eighteen, normally on a Friday morning because I've got time then, and then on a Saturday afternoon, I'll try and get into nine sometimes eighteen. So definitely more than once a week would be, which is what I try.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, And I mean if you're saying you're playing modern once a week, then it means that there's something that's that you're doing bright on the golf course, because some of us we're like, Okay, I'm going to play today, and then we get disappointed with the results and we're like, Okay, let's spend a week or so at the river Badge.
Speaker 4: I've just been reading a book by I think a psychologist who deals with golf, and he says, golf is not a name and is not a game of perfect It's a really good book. Actually, you've got to you've got to just you've got to live with the fact that, hey, it's going to disappoint you. But even that it's just stretching and those good shots bring you back. So so you play that one good shot and you can't get way to get back to play to play the next good.
Speaker 3: I'd represent.
Speaker 2: And then speaking of which I mean, one thing about golf that I really like is the networking aspect or the socializing aspect of it. And now you mentioned that you try to play on Fridays as much as you can. Do you do you play with the same people or do you just sometimes pitch up at the course and see of people that you don't even know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, combination of both. One of the great beauties that I found in golf is the amount of people you meet from so many different aspects of South African society, and it's just you know, so yes, I've tended to there are times and I just pitch and look for a game, and I've never met somebody on the golf course who afterwards didn't think to myself that was really really a you know, it was great. It was great meeting, that was catching up chatting. So I combination unfortunate. My wife plays a little bit so now and then we'll play nine holes. I do have some friends, but friends I've met on the golf course mostly and I do just like to pitch sometimes and just it's a great place to networking and socializing and you know, meeting new people, which I think in our country, I think somebody wants called the rainbow diverse country. It's so great meeting people from so many different aspects of our society. And golf just office it's more than just a game.
Speaker 2: Now, let's reflect back on what happened last week. I mean, as I said, that's where I met you at the Tushi Golf Day. So how did you find out about the Tushi Golf Day and to you personally, what was it all about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's interesting when I arrived at the golf club where we played a couple of years ago, to play probably my first game yet oh no, no, Actually I came to watch a competition yet with a Sunshine competition, and I was just standing watching and a guy and he's caught. I tried to chatting to him as you do around the golf yes, and he said, hey, have a drink with me, and we sat chatting and then he told me he organizes this golf there, that's Q himself and just chatting and I said that sounds great and he said, no, you should join us, and basically he put me on the list. So we're just a meet outside watching a golf game.
Speaker 2: Really, I really like that because often enough, I mean, when people go to the golf course, we just go to that to handle their own business as sciety, I want to play, or I just want to go there and have some coffee or lunch with a couple of minutes. So I mean to actually meet people in that sense, and they extend them to say, please join us, you have time, this is what we will be doing, and then from there, I think that's how relationships are being built.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a regular experience that most offers will speak of how relationships are built, and how you just have these chance meetings if you like, around the golf courst and the club.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 2: And then overall, I won't even ask you about your school. I think that's a very repair. So overall, how was the day for you? Because I think in the morning it was very cloudy, started getting a bit chilly, and then later when the sun came out, then the opposite happened again, so the course was very wet. From my understanding, when I looked at the fairly. A lot of people were digging holes instead of just a small divid and then the greens were fast on the day. I just want to find out your experience of dan and golf and country estate last week.
Speaker 3: How was it for you?
Speaker 4: You know, I have to say the course was in Great Neck, but it was wet, and especially when you're in the rough, you know, getting out of the mud.
Speaker 5: Added a add a bit of a yeah, but delight.
Speaker 4: The bunkers were difficult because they were wet under underneath, but overall good, good, good condition. But as you said, Juthur, greens were fast.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I think I three butted more than once, but then I don't remember that because I try to forget those bad moments.
Speaker 5: But but I met the people I played with.
Speaker 4: I had not met them before, and so that was part of the joy of playing eighteen holes with people I had not met before.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we had a great time.
Speaker 4: And the course was in Great Neck in spite of the rain and in spite of you know, the conditions of the day. The course was in Great Neck. I'm sure the conditions were heavy and impacted the left of my drive, but that's my excuse me Sticking to it.
Speaker 2: But if anything, I have to say, I know, with those kind of golf days, they've got a price called the long stage. So if anything, I'm so happy that you didn't win the title because the price is not so attractive. People call it mainly so whoever wanted, I have to say congratulations to them, And I think it's just a way to help one build the carriage to continue to improve on a regular basis.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well the person who got the price the longest day got a standing ovation as he which was a round of piet paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's part of the fun of golf, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But I want to find it from you, Dave.
Speaker 3: Overall, when you play right.
Speaker 2: How important is your score when it comes to the level of enjoyment that you actually experience on the particular day. Is it if I'm having a well, if I'm not playing as good as I would wish to or I would want to, the holy will be spoiled. Or is it just one of those things to say, you know what, I'm not a professional, I'm here to have fun, I'm yet to network, and then you just get on with your day.
Speaker 4: I think one's going to have that kind of attitude you know, of course, when you hit a bad shot, you're a bit annoyed with yourself because you are playing against yourself all the time.
Speaker 5: But in the end, ultimately you arrived to play and to enjoy and to just you want to enjoy the game, you want to relax, and you're gonna have bad shots. We're not professionals, and you're going to have a lot of bad shots. And I think it's just I'm enjoying and and I think I'm in golf.
Speaker 4: I think you're gonna have a sense of humor. I think you're to be able to love at yourself. You know, you play that terrible shot, have a good laugh and and move on. So over all, the experience of golf is more than just how many shots you hit to get into the hole. The experience is much bigger and much much much nicer than just that.
Speaker 5: Although the good shots, the good shots are enjoyable.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, you know, I'm saying to somebody there there to say, you know that the way it feels so good when you hear in contact with the ball, whether it be with uh about what it'd be with your eyes when you hear that connection was one hundred percent spot on. It just does something to your your body as a whole, your mind releases hormones of peace, and you know you feel alive afterwards.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Those good shots and the important thing in golf, I think is not remember the bad shots, but remember the good shots.
Speaker 5: And and they do.
Speaker 4: And you know you when you play that good shot, you don't need to look. You know you've played a good shot. The feeling is just so beautiful. You don't even need you don't need to look where the balls going, you know it.
Speaker 2: You just have to go forward and then just make sure that when you when you when you get to the green, you have to look around, and then when you route, you'll find something inside that that's.
Speaker 5: Me, that's my shot.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh lovely, they've How regularly or how often do you actually play in weather competitions or golf days or is it just a metad of saying when when you have time or if you're invited, how often do you try to play in competitions?
Speaker 4: I don't play many competitions and it's not something I work towards, I guess, but when I'm invited, and then mostly charity days, but on the odd occasion at the club competition, you know it, there's you know, a Saturday competition or a Wednesday and I'm available. I might join a couple of guys and play. But it's not the biggest thing for me, the competitions. But I do enjoy a good golf. Then I do enjoy some of the charity games, but it's not no, mostly I'm playing.
Speaker 2: Most of it is social, yeah, And I mean speaking of playing a lot of social golf on your end rather than trying to be more on the competitive side. I just want to get an idea of your your definition of what you regard as social golf and what kind of a setting would you regard as the most suitable for social golf.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think social golf is just you know, having a good time with friends and laughing at each other and enjoying each other's company on the golf course.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: And yeah, sometimes you know, not being I mean, we're always competitive. I don't think I don't think that any of us go out and a golf course not being competitive. You do want to hit the good shot, you you do want to you know, play well and enjoy that, but be able to just at the same time, you know, enjoy those others who with you and know just like you, they're going to also play their bad shots and their good shots and encourage you know, I think not just focusing on yourself, but when somebody's a good shot, encouraging them and good shot or somebody it's a bad shot. Sometimes actually sometimes it's better just to keep quiet and away.
Speaker 5: And not say anything to them.
Speaker 2: Very true, because you know the thing about golf is that it will push you to your limits. You you get to explore a different side of your site, and if you can't manage yourself enough or your emotions, you end up doing or saying all the wrong things that you're not supposed to.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes golf is very much your your true self can be is there all the time, and it is managements. In fact, golf is a game of lessons. You're learning life lessons. It's not just a game or a sport. There are because you're competing, I guess against yourself and you're socializing. There's so much going on that there's some there are some great life lessons that I think one learns on the golf course.
Speaker 5: Some of them your rather not.
Speaker 2: There, No, I will agree with you on that one. That's why I'm saying. You know, it will push you to explore different sides of yourself and afterwards you'll be you'll even be shocked.
Speaker 3: And I actually.
Speaker 2: Notice this with myself because usually when I'm on when I'm on the golf course, someone taking footage, video footage, and they will put a mic on me. And whenever I watch those videos, I say to myself, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: And what happened to me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, I mean it is. It is very much like that, and it does sometimes it's like is that really me? Where did that come from?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You's pushing you, and it's challenging you, and it's it's at working you all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and I mean let's not just focus on the bed side of God.
Speaker 3: I mean only there's those.
Speaker 2: Memorable events that happen throughout the day when you're playing golf. I mean it's four and a half hours they just spend on a golf course with numerous.
Speaker 3: People, and you get to meet people.
Speaker 2: But I mean there's also those highlight shots where you would see back and be like, is this really me doing this?
Speaker 3: What did I do? Right?
Speaker 2: And how do I continue doing that? Have you experienced such things?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Big time? You never mind.
Speaker 4: My biggest frustration with golf sometimes is it's not the bad shots. But yeah, my biggest frustration is the good shots, because I say.
Speaker 5: How did you do that? And why didn't you do it before?
Speaker 4: Those Those good shots are just you know, that's what keeps you going in the game as well, and they're always there, and if you think about it, there were a lot of them, and they're just the joy and and and you can think, how did I? Yeah, absolutely, you g did I do that?
Speaker 3: And yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I just want to ask you.
Speaker 2: I mean, like we're saying, there's the good, there's the bad when it comes to golf, and we we'd rather stick to the good. I personally would rather stick to the good because the best out of it is that I've seen people break clubs. I've seen people throw back in that in water. Some people actually crash the golf cuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you see that all the time. It's a sad pot but I suppose that's sport. But yes, you do see that.
Speaker 4: But but that's those The good things override those and much better than those incidents, but they do happen and and you know, you learn self control. That's going to be one of the key reasons to learn on the golf course. And that's that's that's yeah. But but the good is over overrides those experiences. And yeah, we're all every one of us as a story when we played a golf game and we leave afterwards and we think we're slightly embarrassed with an incident or something we said or something we did.
Speaker 5: We all have that story.
Speaker 2: And then speaking of which I mean like like, I like, I like. We've been saying obviously about social socializing and networking and that you meet new people and all that.
Speaker 3: Are there any.
Speaker 2: Specific traits or characteristics that you would say, ah, well fine, an ideal group or and I did golf part not to play with.
Speaker 3: Are there any.
Speaker 2: Particular traits that you've seen what this is how I would envision or how to a perfect golf partner or a golf group there to associate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, must be surely if they play worse than me.
Speaker 3: No, I'm joking, that's a good one. I'm actually you're just start doing it.
Speaker 4: No, No, I think, yeah, I think, I'm I think when you're playing together and you're a full ball. You really want to play with people that are what's the word. If they encouraging, They they've got a good sense of humor. Maybe you know, it's stopped playing with somebody who's always you know, angry or never you know, perfocused on themselves and oh, you know those incidents stuff. But generally, most people are enjoying your company and you're enjoying their company. So's people you can just relax with. Because golf is a relaxation and so much of it is in the mind. So you want to play people who are relaxing, not over tense. Of course, we're all competitive, but that you can relax with them. I think that's it.
Speaker 2: And I mean I will just echo what you're saying, because if there's anything it's very coning golf is that you just go to the golf course. They will pay you up with someone that you don't even know. But like you're saying, if that passion creates a conducive environment and a more released environment, then the game itself becomes more enjoyable because you guys are able to have those loose moments where you can just talk about any other thing apart from what's really frustrating. You in front of you, which is actually golf. So I will echo what you're saying to say, as long as the individual or the group itself has a sense of humor and they able to create that comfortable environment for you as as an individual, those are the key things for me personally.
Speaker 5: No, I agree on one.
Speaker 4: You know, I think one you's going to realize that your your sort of I don't know if the word the right word is behavior, that your attitude on that golf course impacts the rest of the people you're playing with.
Speaker 3: That's true, That's very very true.
Speaker 2: Now, apart from from golf, Dave, do you do you play any other or do you participate in any other social events or social sports?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not really.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm I'm a big fan of football soccer, so I might just kick a ball around socially, but very rarely. I do train once a week with in muay Thai, which is you know, which is a nice just to keep me fit. Yeah, flexible at my age of course. Yeah, I've got to stay flexible because it's good on the golf course to be you know, fitable.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know that those are totally opposite world's golf and multai.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the muti, you know, with the moti also, it also is a mind thing in many ways, like I suppose many sports are, but muytai also it keeps you fit. I just feel, you know, I like to walk eighteen holes and I do feel if I'm feeling fitter and stuff, I enjoy the game better. So so muytai does also help to keep me fit and core muscles. The reason I do more muyta is to keep my core muscles. Cor muscles are good on the golf course, so so yeah, so discipline it helps me as well. So yeah, it does sound the opposite, but it does help in the general life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now that's that's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Like you know, you know, people wouldn't actually think that, okay, one would play such. People would regard golf as a very calm, boring, slow page sport. And then when you look at multai, obviously that's where adrenaline is very high and uh, I mean you do those round kicks and you do all the hectic uh.
Speaker 3: Movements.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I mean, I just want to find out that obviously in Multa as well, like you said, it's a very mental spot where you have to be in control of the emotions number one, which I believe that if you're not in control of your emotions, then you lose, you lose focused in every single aspect of life. I believe that being in control of yourself your mind is a very key thing. And if if I am just to make a comparison between muatai and God from the outside, I've never done mutai. I'm scared of losing my teeth or breaking a few it. But I'd say that that's one of the things that comes out very strongly to say it's a it's a mental thing.
Speaker 3: You need to be mentally.
Speaker 2: Fit, you need to be aware of your environment as a whole.
Speaker 5: I would totally agree there.
Speaker 4: I mean, looked, I don't do muytai as I don't do it as as a thing too for competitive fighting. I do it for training and fitness and mind. Your mind is so important in life, and Gold shows you that, and in sport the mind is so key, and muay thai is just a very good for self discipline.
Speaker 5: And and and the mind.
Speaker 4: And look, I think the fitter you are, not that I am a super fit guy, not that I'm a I'm gonna but just generally feeling happy in yourself makes sport easier and makes golf easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: Dave, we've reached the halfway point of our show. Can we just quickly go for a two minute break. Let's refill our glass of water. My mouth is getting dry because I'm having so much fun and I want to understand more about Thai.
Speaker 3: What wanted you to actually do mo Thi?
Speaker 2: Because yeah, I would say stick to.
Speaker 5: Can you I can hear you? Yeah? Sorry we went. I don't know what happened A yeah.
Speaker 3: No problem.
Speaker 2: I was just saying that, can we just go for a two minute break, and then when we come back, we're going to go deeper into the conversation because I'm very curious to understand.
Speaker 3: Why the move to Muay Thai.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you just start doing more golf less others? I'll just kidding, but yeah, I think let's go for a break, and then when we get back, we'll with our best a couple of well a lot more other questions that I would l us to discuss.
Speaker 5: Brilliant I'll see in a moment, oh.
Speaker 3: Right there.
Speaker 6: Invisible ink consulting your gateway to financial success. We specialize in providing the best solutions to manage your finance and accounting, ensuring a better life for you and your business.
Speaker 3: Our expert team.
Speaker 6: Offers top notch accounting and tax consulting services tailored to various industries, including, but not limited to, engineering, medical practitioners, in construction, nonprofits, events, management, attorneys, and financial services. Experience the power of our best analytics, backed by a commitment to our clients in a higher level of knowledge and Invisible Ink Consulting, we strive to deliver the best service can get, making your financial journey seamless and rewarding. Choose Invisible Ink Consulting for a brighter financial future, your success out priority. Please visit us at www. Dot invisiblelink, dot co, dot Senatorchus, www dot invisiblelink, dot co dot Sea.
Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and banker collide, Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green, the balls, and t's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its potline. Get ready to step onto the last greens and dive into the world up, diveds drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, please thank you for staying tuned in. As you've heard the first segment that our show today is on fire. We are learned by David Wells, who is a social golfer and who is a professional multime I'm I'm just playing. It's not a professional maritime boxer, but.
Speaker 3: None the less.
Speaker 2: If there's something that Dave has shared with us in the first episode is that a sense of humor is very important and making sure that your mentally fit is very important when it comes to any aspect of your life. So we will be digging deeper into our conversation along with Dave and find out what has been happening in his game, particularly the West shots or the West experiences He's head on the golf course, the most memorable experience that is having the golf course and anything else that will put him under the spotlight.
Speaker 3: Dave, are you still with me? There?
Speaker 5: I'm right there, thank you.
Speaker 3: Right same now, Dave. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I I didn't mean to call a lot of attention to you, but I said that you are a professional way just in case people start making assumptions and they start up working you on the streets.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, So I just want to find out.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you said that there's a there's so many things that you you're actually busy with on your data life, from being part of the ministry to being part of you mentioned as a charity, yeah, and people peoples people yeah, yeah, and obviously a lot of coach. Now, I mean these are very I think these are very demanding activities that you do. And uh, I just have to take my head off to you to say that the model love that usual to people the moment the love people shoot you, and that's exactly what you're doing with your roles in these three different aspects. Now, if anything that I want to find out from you, I mean, uh, life coach. Right, let's talk about just in brief life coach. I mean a lot of people out there always say.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm a life coach and all of those.
Speaker 2: Things, but I believe the definition would relate more to the individual who's in the role itself and the context thereof So you you as a life coach, if you were to take that and take golf, how how how how old were do you think they actually come together these two different aspects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you see, life coaching is.
Speaker 4: I mean is quite I don't want to say complex, but life coaching is a very helpful tool in understanding yourself, observe yourself, your behaviors, and life coaching is a way to open up new possibilities for your own life and new things. And there's always great opportunities and so certainly related to to golf. If you like, we were always wanting to grow, we're always wanting to golf teach of your lessons about yourself. How do you deal with those lessons and how how can you use those lessons to open up new opportunities? And then golf offers opportunities of growth in many ways. There's so many different aspects to golf. So there's a lot of them, there's a lot of yeah, yeah, it's a lot of connections and and just yeah, because you already you're on the golf course. As I said before, you're not only socializing and meeting with people, you are dealing with yourself. You're competing with yourself, so you know, yeah, you're observing certain behaviors in yourself which can be very good for you or very helpful to your growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean I just wanted to to have a look at that to say, Okay, I mean these are two complex world Obviously one making you be more engaged with people, and obviously golf is just there for you to relax and unwind. But at the same time, it puts you in a space that requires certain people skills and you can also learn a lot from the people that you actually interact with.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's basically that.
Speaker 2: And then now I'm like I said with the second segment, I like putting people on the spot, and my apologies putting you on the spot, but you know, I'm going to ask you a question. In your ministry, is there are office there? And if there are, how many of them have you actually challenged? And uh came out victorious?
Speaker 5: What Sorry I missed that question in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Are they what they're golfers in your ministry? Yes? Have you challenged a round of golf?
Speaker 5: Yes, very much. There's quite a few actually. But he has the.
Speaker 4: Challenge because when I play with somebody who I've met in the church or in the ministry, they know they know who I am, so they know that I'm a pastor. You know, when people know you are pastor on the golf course, they're looking at you. They're expecting a certain behavior which is not always possible to produce on the course. That's odd word or that, you know, frustration with yourself. So I have to tell them, hey, if you're playing with me, you're playing with me, not with the pastor of the church.
Speaker 3: I'm not. And I think that is actually very important.
Speaker 2: So that because in essence, in every single aspect of life, people always have expectations. So I think you'd never find that upfront to say today Pasta is on the side and you're playing with Dave. Now, so whatever that happens here should be like what happens in Vegas.
Speaker 3: It must be between us.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, and of course of course yes that's right. And of course sometimes you play people as the past and they're worried about the un behavior.
Speaker 5: So I've got to relax.
Speaker 4: Him as well, say just see yourself, you don't have to perform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say, I like that, and I like your outlook when it comes to that, to say, you know what, apart from my roles in society, I'm still myself and I still need to enjoy myself.
Speaker 3: In a way that makes sense to me when it comes to golf. One of the moments, now want to find out from you, Dave.
Speaker 2: I mean, surely you are part of certain social groups when it comes to golf. Is there any particular start of communication that you'll prefer maybe, let's say, whether it's WhatsApp, whether it's email, whether telephonically, what is your preferred mode and why is it?
Speaker 4: If I may ask, Mostly with the golf groups and stuff involved in almost all of it's what'sapp.
Speaker 5: So just I work better on what'sapp. It's easier.
Speaker 4: I just find that andy and a lot of information can be shared on what'sapp. And I don't know WhatsApp groups, you would get regular golf jokes and regular little funny things every now and then somebody in the WhatsApp group with a YouTube on on you know, somebody interesting, or somebody who's saying it's something interesting that golf.
Speaker 5: For after the Masters last week there was lots of stuff of roryback. So now what's up?
Speaker 4: A great way of communicating, just a great way of organizing a game.
Speaker 3: Awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: And you know the nice thing about golf if I can if I can just put it out there day for anyone who hasn't played golf or anyone who doesn't have much knowledge about golf, is the nice thing about golf is every single round of golf will have a different format, right, whether it's plot play, it's mass play, ips.
Speaker 5: I lost you there for a while. I think they're a bad line there for a while.
Speaker 3: All right, can you now? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm back, all right.
Speaker 2: So what I was basically saying is that, especially for people who haven't played golf or people who don't really understand much about golf, if there's anything that stands out with when it comes to golf compared to other sports, would be the fact that every single round golf will differ.
Speaker 3: In terms of the format.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, there's stroke play, there's mash play, there's a battle ball. So with with all with all these different formats being available, which one would you say is your most favorite?
Speaker 3: And why would you say it's your most favorite?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I enjoy the match play, I.
Speaker 4: I think I just sometimes, especially I enjoy when there's like two scores to count, and you you know, so it's not just your score, your partner score. You can encourage them, and yeah, I like playing in partnership, just not I don't. So it's not just me. I'm playing with somebody and both our scores count and or maybe all four count. So I like that kind of partnership. And yeah, that that I enjoy probably the most. And I don't like counting every shots, you know, with every shot score. So sometimes if I get a really bad score that you know it's seven for not not twelve, I don't like seeing that on my score code.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's part of the game.
Speaker 2: And you know, I always say to people the nice thing about golf is as an individual, not even as a team. As an individual, you get an opportunity to score eighteen times, where with other sports you only score that once.
Speaker 4: And listen, it's any game in the world surely where every every short counts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you you've played a lot of golf, like you mentioned about twenty five years that you've.
Speaker 3: Been playing the spot right, Yes, in.
Speaker 2: Those twenty five years, there's been good times, there's been bad times. On the top of your head, can you recall the world experience or west shot you've had a golf course?
Speaker 3: Oh, the most embarrassing actually happened.
Speaker 5: Do you want I want.
Speaker 4: There's something I have hit a tree and the balls come straight back at me and hit me hit the shoulder.
Speaker 3: God, that must have been.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was playing on a golf course once and I obviously were too hard on the ball and my driver went flying out and went further than the ball. But the worson that the driver went over the fence onto the road next to the golf course.
Speaker 2: Shoot, all right, now, yeah, that's that's a pretty scary and considering obviously the cost of the driver and the potential damage that it could have done on the road.
Speaker 5: I was so worried the car was going to drive over it.
Speaker 3: But I hope you you actually got it in good condition.
Speaker 4: Well, I had to wait for somebody because the fence was quite high. I think this was a parkview. I had to wait for somebody to walk behind and throw my golf my golf dropper back at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about that, but I mean, obviously no, it's it's it's a it's it's actually the first time I hear a story like that. I mean I've had people say, now, I've been hitting the ball, but actually throw your driver unintentionally over a fence onto a road. Yeah, that's that's something that's very special.
Speaker 5: Every golfer has a great story to.
Speaker 2: Tell, definitely, And you know when we'll we're talking about some of the most embarrassing things. I mean, I've on two occasions I've torn my paint and the first question I hear is how did you even.
Speaker 3: Get that right?
Speaker 2: Because usually with golf you just use your upper body, not your lower body. So yeah, yes, you know, if I have to tell you, on these two occasions it was similar things.
Speaker 4: So sometimes one needs a video to see that that that is good. That is twice, not only once that that that's a good story.
Speaker 2: But but the last thing is the second time it is caught on video.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna you've got to say that to me?
Speaker 2: The video is actually on now YouTube.
Speaker 3: We were just uploaded it.
Speaker 2: So it's so it's so said how it happened Because I was just moving away from the patting green, moving towards the next TA box. So whilst I'm feeling up, god, I hear someone's scream four. So I thought to myself, you know what, I don't have to and look what's happening. The best thing I could do is to quickly drop on the ground, and as I was squatching, I just had something. When I looked down, my pants were turned from knee to knee all the way around, and I saw this golf ball leanding right in front of me. So I said to myself, you know what, It's best that I told my parts. Otherwise, had I tend this thing was going streat for my head and I don't know where I would have been.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you gotta likely with the pants.
Speaker 2: So I thought to myself, you know what, let's applude it, because these are things that actually happen in the golf course, although a lot of people don't hear about them. The other day I saw I was just watching some highlights. I saw one of the pros he hit a golf shot from the fairway. That ball went straight into one of the spectators coffee cup.
Speaker 3: It's just bouncing there and then sitting there.
Speaker 2: So I just didn't, yeah, brilliant. So I'm thinking, Okay, what's gonna happen next? Is he going to play the cup or is he going to play the golf.
Speaker 5: What is the roof the players at lise Hey.
Speaker 4: But by the way, I recently put a golf ball in the tree and it didn't fall out, It stayed in the tree.
Speaker 3: What's the lies you gotta tree? You know, golf is lovely, I have to say it. Office is beautiful, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, like like you, you've just shed your most embarrassing story. But I believe there is a counter to it to say, apart from this, something magical happened on the golf course, and uh, do mind sharing that with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the medical moments. I've had two experiences where where I've chipped the board into the hole, once over the bunker into the hole, once about twenty meters away.
Speaker 5: And you don't forget those those are magical.
Speaker 4: There are some real magical moments that come and you don't expect them.
Speaker 3: That just are.
Speaker 4: They're beautiful and we all know those long parts, we all know those chips in Yeah, so I think I think my most magical moments have been with chipping when I tipped the ball those two. But my chipping has always been my my joy moment.
Speaker 2: I think you're you're giving out a warning to anyone out there who wants to play with you to see just.
Speaker 5: My short gun, my chipping, that's my strength.
Speaker 2: So for instance, if there's a serious price involved, whenever people see you around the green, they should start shaking.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, absolutely be warned. This is my moment. This is me.
Speaker 4: I thing that's chipping and stuff like getting around the green. It's easy to practice as well, even in your garden. So no, so we could. But yeah, no, I mean there are there are great experiences on the golf course. I mean you must have a number to share it as well.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's only one highlight, which I've never repeated it. But actually no, no, no, there's two, two highlights. I think the first one was an albut cross that I got and spend. I spent over five to ten minutes looking for the ball and something just said to me, just more look in the cup.
Speaker 5: That is wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was scary because I thought I had lost my ball there. It was a second second shot on a power four. I just hit it. I didn't even see where it went. And then well after that ten can you hear me, Dave?
Speaker 3: Hello, Dave?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry I lost you. There seems to be the lines up there. But there's a I mean an albatross is that? I mean, I've never got close to that. I don't think that's beautiful. That's something to remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I'll never forget the moment.
Speaker 2: And uh, the other time, well, the last or let me not say the last, because I'm still playing golf. I believe there's smoke coming. But there was this other time when I was still in the beginning stages of me playing golf. So there was three hundred and twenty three hold, and I drove the entire hole. My fall on the green. But uh, that's good that came out of there. It's not to be disclosed, I think.
Speaker 4: But you know you made that comment about you know, you've still got golf to play. You know, when you play your best round, that personal best, and people say that's your best round, I think the answer is that your second best round, because the first is yet to come.
Speaker 3: I really agree with you on that.
Speaker 2: Now, by the way, thank you for sharing your stories with us. And you know, the reason I always asked this question is just to ensure our audience, or reassure them that no matter how good you are, or how bad you are, or how long you've been in the spot, there will always be uncomfortable moments, and they will be comfortable moment be moment celebration.
Speaker 3: There will be moments of skulking.
Speaker 2: So I'll actually end these stories with our audience because golf is one factual game, and the nice thing about it is that you can't even cheat yourself as a golf absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Speaking of cheating yourself, Dave, I mean, there's something about golf rules that I sometimes feel, you know what, this is too much. I don't know if that ever happens to you, where you feel like, can somebody just get rid of this particular rule? Can somebody just change these rules so that it's a bit more lenient. Have you experienced such instances where you're like, yo, this is now killing my game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there are I guess rules are rules, but there are tough rules.
Speaker 5: They are some of the rules.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're on the fairway and it's not you don't have a great lie and sometimes you lay a place sometimes you're not, but you know, and sometimes you don't get enough.
Speaker 5: I wish they'd give me.
Speaker 4: More leniency to move the ball a bit. Bad lies changes I suppose every day on every golf course.
Speaker 5: That's the thing with the rules. But you are I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm the rules of golf. I mean, I'm not. I have to be. I have to confess I'm not very good at I don't know the rules as much as I've played for long the rules. Sometimes I have to ask quite regularly, what is the rule?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How far am I allowed to drop or place or you know, and and things like you know, dropping the ball and now it's from your knee or something, and I think, well, why can't I just place it?
Speaker 2: I guess what the said part of but it is that even if you were to drop it from your knee and it still gets to well, it still gets a bad life. Now it's frustrating because you can't drop again exactly.
Speaker 5: And I think, come on, if I just placed it and solve so many problems. Man.
Speaker 3: Now, I just want to ask you.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you go for a round of golf, or when you go and attend either a tournament or a social golf event, there is preparation that needs to be done right. Like you said, your strong your strong strong part of.
Speaker 3: The game is you're chippy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, I just want to find out.
Speaker 2: Your overall preparation before a game. Is it a matter of saying I need to go to the driving range a couple of times, or are you Are you of the opinion that you know what, I'll just walk in if your is at half per seven, let me just get there, got up a seven cup of coffee and then just carry on. What what is your normal routine when it comes to such.
Speaker 4: No, I can't just pitch and play. I need time, just maybe more for the mind. So I patting green is really important to me. I'd like to spend a warm up on the patting green, even it's just the feel and the feel of everything of the day. I don't often do the driving range. The chipping and patting are certainly work on. So no, I can't pitch. I've got to prepare myself. I've got to be out there. I've got to I even take a little walk and do some breathing exercises. I've got to prepare myself. If I just pitch and play, No, not really. I know there are people that do that and do it well, but not for me, thank you. I need I need to more than just practicing, because I need to get my mind. I need to get my mind into it and get everything out of the mind and just be ready.
Speaker 5: Yeah, understand that.
Speaker 2: That definitely makes sense. Now, one last question a day before I let you go. I just I just need to ask you this, you know, uh, And I will make an example from of myself before I even ask you the question. So basically, what I usually do when I before a round of golf, I would buy, I'll take a bottle of water, I'll take a bottle of energy drink, and then hopefully when the tea of time is in the morning, I don't even eat, and I only eat after the entire eighteen I think that eating halfway through through the game is just putting on some weight that I won't be able to carry after the first night. So I just want to find out. I mean, people have got to snacks or people prefer setting set in food. When it comes to being on the golf course, do you have anything particular you you Actually, I cannot play a round of golf without no.
Speaker 4: I mean, I water is really important to me. So I've got at least three bottles of water. Yeah, I just I like to have a I don't know if it's just after every hole. I just like to have a bit of water.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That just helps me relax the process of that. But now I can't eat a big breakfast before. I can't eat before, and I can't eat anything, and I can't eat during the course of the game. I do like it, But even a breakfast halfway nine holes, no, I like something light. I just I just want to keep going and I don't like to feel like I've eaten too much.
Speaker 5: But I tell you what I do like. I love a few.
Speaker 4: I love when I have my breakfast at half way. How small little breakfast is Chili's. I don't know what it is, but gave me a bit of go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm actually known at.
Speaker 4: The club for and and the There's a lovely woman who on the counter there. She always puts the chili, which she knows I'm coming. She's got the CHILIESE ready.
Speaker 3: That's nice.
Speaker 2: That's very nice, because I mean, I get what I'm saying, because for me, I also like Chilie. And I believe after actually eats in chilis something happens to my eyes. I think I can zoom in and my vision starts changing where I believe, you know what, I'm on fire now, and trust me, I'm literally on the fire.
Speaker 3: Because my mouth at that time it's.
Speaker 4: Burning exactly well, it energizes me, and it's burning if you see something about it. I don't know what it is, but to me the energy is important. Maybe it energizes me. But I agree the burning mouth. But I'm also I know now I've just I've got to be careful that I like. I can't drink too much except for a bit of water because any gas he drinks, I just feel blurted. That to me for your experience, So it's just eating and drinking what keeps my energy levels high. But yep, Chilie does it for me. Charlie does it for me every time.
Speaker 2: Now, I just want to find out from you, and actually I actually need to ask you for a favor. Let me put it that way, to say, all right, David, you've been playing golf twenty five years. Surely there's people that you've actually introduced into the game as well, and you've formed long lasting relationships with different individuals over the years.
Speaker 3: And my thing is, I believe in.
Speaker 2: An inclusive environment where people must experience what I experience and they must actually see things from my view as well. And my sourl saying is that I like encouraging people to get into the spot, to come and feel the environment, to come and associate with individuals or the environment.
Speaker 3: And the favor that I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Ask you is a few putting words to encourage those who are either scared to start playing or those who have been contemplating and saying nic it's not for me, it's too expensive. For all those kinds of things, what would your let's say, two sentence.
Speaker 3: Advice or give will be for them.
Speaker 4: You know, some people do think there's an expensive game. It can be expensive. That's up to you. There are places to play with your on expenses there. You don't have to play with brand new clubs. You don't have to upgrade your clubs. I'm quite happy with old clubs. So it can be. It doesn't have to be expensive. And I just think it's just we need to get out there. As you know, we become very i don't know, sometimes insulated, and we need to get there. We need to learn to relax in our society, and we need to meet diverse people. I really, and I know that sounds strange. I'm talking about golf, but gold does help you meet diverse people. And I think that's very healthy and good, and the game is just great fun, even though you won't play great games all the time.
Speaker 5: It is a lot of.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent, I agree with you in every single aspect that you've just discussed, because, like you said, the nice thing about the golf course is diversity. I mean, you can meet people that you would never even imagine that you would meet on the golf course and you'd be very surprised to see how they actually behave outside our workspace or the offices. They just ordinary individuals just like you and I.
Speaker 3: So little awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, with that being said, Dave, I just want to say a huge thank you to you for honoring this invite, for making time to actually come chat with me, and another thank you to everyone around you who's allowed you this time or who's actually afforded us this time to have a chat with you. I do understand that your schedule is quite busy, so let me just say a huge thank you, and please let's continue to grow the society or the golfing community to make sure that more and more people get involved in it and all the best with the golf. I will be seeing you in future and hopefully when they will play a round of golf.
Speaker 4: I would look forward to that. And it's been a great joy, and it's been great fun. I really enjoyed being having this art together.
Speaker 5: So thank you it was.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the privilege of being able to be with you on this program.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: If you must save yourself a lovely day fail and hopefully the weather conditions in how thing as a whole will improve. Although we know that we are heading towards winter. I think it's gonna come quite already started to creep in. So please keep one, keep healthy, play golf less my time, I'm buying. I actually I actually wanted to try advertised. Now I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 4: Okay, awesome again. I'm sorry I lost you there again again, but there we go.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, thank you, awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: So please thank you so much and have yourself a lovely day, wonderful, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right bye. Okay, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: We have reached the end of our segment today, and I have to say, what a beautiful, beautiful time that I've had that whole hour. It was full of laugh time was full of insight. And I would also like to invite you to be a part of our podcast, whether you play or don't play, as long as we've.
Speaker 3: Got a common groages golf.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, ladies and gentlemen, please remember to also visit our YouTube channel. There's beautiful, beautiful clips that we loaded the starting from equipment review, interviews with the coach, interviews with the essay open Champ himself dealing I do, and well the other one it's me embarrassing myself.
Speaker 3: But no, I wasn't embarrassing myself. I was playing golf.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you get to see the guy behind this voice and how he plays his golf. You can judge my swing, and then when I invite you over to the show, you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I really really appreciate that I need to fix myself. But nonetheless, ladies and gentlemen, I have to say thank you for continuously supporting us, thank you for following us. Please please please share our links with your friends and family. Let us grow this community, because if we don't do it ourselves, nobody else will. With that being said, ladies and gentlemen, tomorrow is staysday. If you're going to work, I have to say big ups. To you. Please make sure that you work and you focus on your work. But if you're working on Friday, come and have a chat with me, because Friday is God.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: You even heard it from Dave himself. He said that he tries to play on Fridays. So the weekend basically starts on Thursday for a lot of people, but for me, the weekend starts today. With that being said, ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Tony Tone the Magician, I am signing out.
Speaker 3: I love you guys, The Magician