Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you Madison. As we move into a Friday evening, it is Friday, February twenty first, and this is our I guess it's the third Friday of the month. I'm just looking at the calendar here. No, it's the Yeah, it's the third Friday of the month. We only have one more. So a week from tonight we will be beginning the celebration at Ramadan at sundown. By the way, on this a week from tonight, and then the next day we'll be March. Good evening everybody. My name is Dan Ray, and I am ready to take you all the way almost a Saturday morning. Rob Brooks back in the control room. He is responsible for getting all of you on the line when you want to talk to me or a guest, and we will start off with an interesting guest at nine o'clock, doctor John Friedman, a healthcare expert. We're going to discuss the layoffs at Mass General Brigham. That was a huge story. That is a huge story. We'll also talk at ten o'clock about the Trump administration one month in office. They basically have one month in the book and it has been a wild month, and so the question is how are the Democrats going to get their footing? They get their political footing against everything that Donald Trump is trying to do, and he does not let up. The pace has been immense. And then we'll have a twenty eighth hour tonight. Haven't figured out the topic yet, but I'm sure it'll be fun, that's for sure. We have four really interesting guests on four fairly interesting topics coming up during this hour, and we will start off by talking about this soon to be open, well not soon in the sense of next week, but we will have Boston's first Holocaust museum here and it will open across from the Freedom Trail in the fall of twenty twenty six, so it's a year and a half away. With us is Jody Kipnis. She is the co founder CEO of the Holocaust Museum. Jody, welcome to Night's How are you this evening great?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. I hope that you can give us a little bit of background in terms of how did the Boston's first Holocaust museum. We've never had a Holocaust museum, and the best of my knowledge, how is this coming to pass. What give us a little bit of the background on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no problem, I'd be happy to. So it was back in really started back in twenty eighteen. I traveled to Poland with my partner Todd Ruderman, and a Holocaust survivor and it was my first journey and it was Todd's second journey to Poland. And it was really on the grounds of Auschwitz when we stood in front of his bunker, and when you travel with a Holocaust survivor to Aushwitz and somebody who has survived Aswitz, it really was very act full for us. And you know, he gave us a little bit of a challenge by saying, you know, now that you've heard my story, what are you going to do? We never thought Holocaust museum at all much. We never would have thought something on that scale. But you know, when we came back, we started the Holocaust Legacy Foundation, and one year later we were taking sixteen teams away to Poland on a very similar trip and experience that we were on. And then it was really you know, COVID the next year we couldn't travel with this fellowship that we had started. It shut it down, and we thought to ourselves. How can we make a much bigger impact and reach a much broader audience. And we really thought about, you know, a Holocaust museum or a center. And you know then we well, Boston must have one, and you know they have what we had a World War Two museum in Natick. I know there's one in Hudson. But you know what we started to think about was why not Holocaust a museum that's dedicated just to the Holocaust and Holocaust education. So we came up with this crazy, crazy, big idea. And here we are, you know, building a museum on the right across the street from the Freedom Trail.
Speaker 2: So where exactly when we think of the Freedom Trail is it's so long, where will the museum be located? Exactly precisely?
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you a museum is located diagonally across or will be located diagonally across from the Park Street church, and our neighbors are Usuffolk Law. And from the museum, if you're inside the museum in the first exhibit, you'll have a straight shoot right to the State House.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, sure, No, I picture it very well. I was in Auschwitz. I visited Auschwitz in the summer of nineteen eighty seven, and it left an incredible lasting memory of me and I have still specific remembrances of locations. And what do you think when we think of museums, oftentimes we think that there will be some artifacts, you know, besides pictures, I guess, and maybe videos and interviews with some of the survivors. And I know that some of that has been done. I think sixty minutes to a piece with some of the survivors where they have answered questions and been interviewed and they have it so it's an interactive opportunity where even though the survivors have now maybe or in many cases have passed, people can actually stand and ask questions of the survivors, you know, and through the miracle of videotape, actually feel as if they're having a conversation. Are you familiar with that sixty minutes report of a few years ago that was done so well?
Speaker 3: I am, and I'm really glad that you brought that up, because we are actually bringing that experience to Boston. It's dimensions and testimony. We're partnered with the usc show A Foundation, and we actually spent a week filming the survivor that inspired us to do something around Holocaust education. And because of our partnership, we will also have the opportunity to have other survivors within this hologram type experience. And also there's a liberator as well, so they'll be hearing from both sides. So yeah, we'll have a be about a fifty sixty person theater and we'll show a three to four minute film telling about the stories, showing where they grew up, talking about how they survived, and then the visitor will have the opportunity to directly ask a question to a Holocaust survivor. So if you think about when they brought Michael Jackson back to life with those holograms, that's exactly what you will see. It won't be a TV screen, there will be It will almost feel so real, especially when you're at that distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see. I think most people realize what holograms are. There's a there's one hologram that I saw in which Elvis Presley sings and he sings a duet with Celine Dion, and of course they never stood on stage together. If you've seen that, or anyone who's seen that, you realize what can be done with videotaping with holograms, and to think that it will be able to sort of bring the Holocaust, the story of the Holocaust to such vibrancies, to such life. It's going to be for generations to come. That's that is for sure. How can folks get in touch with your organization? I'm sure there are people out there who would like to get involved, maybe like to support what's the Everyone has a website, so so how.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, folks would like to learn more about how they can contribute, get along or even receive our newsletter updates that will be coming available soon. They just have to go to our website and that's www. Holocaust Legacyfoundation dot org. Or if they can't remember that, it's www. Holocaust Museum Boston dot org and it will bring them to the same place. They can also follow the Holocaust Museum Boston on Facebook and on Instagram.
Speaker 2: That's great, well, Judy, thanks so much for sharing with us tonight. This is such an important development that it's something the city of Boston will treasure, I'm sure for generations to come. And thanks for your work on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, and thank you for having all.
Speaker 2: Right, we get back. We're going to talk about sort of an interesting question, and that is there's a study out that shows some people when they get into relationships, they're hiding death from the hiding debt, debt, how much they're in debt from their partners. And we're going to talk with an expert about why that is something that is occurring and why it probably is not a necessarily good thing. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. It's a Friday night talking about some more serious subjects tonight. We'll lighten up a little bit later on, that's for sure, but right now we'll take a quick break of me back on Nightside in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Want to welcome Adriana okanyas Adrian and welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you hi, Dan, I'm doing well.
Speaker 5: How are you go?
Speaker 2: Assume? A credit card analyst at US News and World Report and PARL, you did a survey or you did a survey in conjunction with US News and World Report, which found that there is what's called financial infidelity common among younger generations that almost thirty seven percent report that their partner hid debt debt from them. What's going on? I mean, that boggles my mind. I don't know how surprised you are at it, but it's astonishing to me that you ended that you end up in a relationship, a serious relationship, and you not have and you have not done sort of a done in Bradstreet on one another if you get my drinks right right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, that was very surprising what we found out that when we conducted the survey, we found out that financial infidelity was really common in younger couples. You know, thirty nine percent of respondents were between the ages of eighteen and twenty five when the financial infidelity occurred, and almost half were actually married.
Speaker 6: At the time.
Speaker 2: So obviously we're talking about hiding debt. Is it mostly college debt or is it? I mean, how do you have so much debt that your partner probably has never even acquired and said, oh, by the way, how much of that four year college degree and the graduate program you're in now studying you know, sociology amongst the early inc is costing you.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean it's an expensive class. Dwn.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess it is. I yes, the trips to Mexico US run up along. So what sort of debt it's being hidden here? I hope it's not like debt from either a gambling problem or a drug problem. I assume this is legitimate debt that individuals have occurred.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is legitimate debt. And we did find out that, you know, one of the most common signs of the financial fadelity is when the partner was hiding, hiding those statements or those collections, you know, from those hidden accounts, you know, and many victims of the financial and fabelity didn't even know it was happening until it was too late, you know, And in hindsight, you know, the red flags are there a lot of the time, you know, unusual spending, you know, avoiding those money talks that you need to have with your partner. And we actually asked respondents as well, like what were some signs that you noticed specifically in your relationships, And several respondents said that they noticed that their partner was acting strange, distant. Another one said that, you know, it was a complete shock to them. That was actually a very common response that we found that so many respondents didn't know what was happening until it was too late.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, did you quantify? Again? I must tell you I did not read the report, and so I apologize for that. But actually it's sometimes it's an advantage for me to not read the report because then I asked the questions that I think most of my audience might be asking if they haven't had a chance to read the report. Did you quantify at all? How much debt? I mean, and we're talking about one thousand dollars? Are we talking of much much more? Tens of thousands of dollars which can easily you know, accumulate.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: We were not able to be able to pinpoint the exact amounts of the debt, but we did find that it was very common for the couple to be in debt and credit card debt in like the low thousands when the financial infidelity occurred. So it's not huge amounts of like ten twenty thousand, but it is it is a large amount, you know. And when respondents were asked like, okay, well when it comes to debt like this, like what did you do with your partner? Like how did you even confront the issue? You know, and so many of them said that, you know, what it led to either an argument. We actually even found out that almost forty percent of victims of the financial intidelity ended up separating from their partner once they found out.
Speaker 2: So this, this is a commitment breaker. This, this is something that fractious a relationship. Yike's okay.
Speaker 5: We found out that almost half of respondence said that, actually more than half, I'm sorry, it was about a combined sixty four percent said that the financial instidelity was just as upsetting or even more upsetting than romantic fidelity.
Speaker 2: Wow, what percent? And again I don't know the answer. I don't know the answer this question when you referred to partner's partners in this nage has a much broader definition than it once did. So what percentage of these folks were actually you know, married or you know or you could you could be just dating someone in half a partner And obviously there is if you break up with someone who you're dating, the implications of that, you know, are well effectually mostly but there's probably not a lot of financial implications. But if you're married to someone and if you've actually maybe invested in something like a home or for that matter, or an automobile, and it's and you're going to have to. It's going to cost the relationship. Boy, then again get expensive with the lawyers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: We found out that as far as like the relationship status, Like when I talk about partners, forty eight percent of couples were married, thirty two percent we're living together and not married, and then about twenty percent we're in a relationship but not living together or married.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the inner relationships ones you can walk away from those a little more easily than you can from obviously a marriage or for that matter, if both of you are signatories on a rental lease or or if you have you know, the the more important, more formal the relationship, the greater the potential consequences. Is there any sort of a uh within those groups? So subsets? Were the married couples that they had the same percentage of financial infidelity as as folks who were just simply dating or are they all sort of similar in terms of this uh this problem? How put it like that?
Speaker 5: We found that it was a little similar across the board. You know, we wanted to make sure that we surveyed only victims of financial to deli and wanted to see what their relationships were like at the time that the infidelity occurred, you know, but we we did find that the most common in lengths of relationships that was going on with the couple was about one to two years. That's how long they were together when the financial fidelity occurred. So I don't know if.
Speaker 2: You talk to psychologists or whatever, but at what point would would would the experts advise that if you're in some beginning to get into a serious relationship with someone, that if they haven't sort of told you what their financial circumstances are, and if you tend not to, you know, unless you really believe what their financial circumstances are, how do you at what point do you approach the subject? And how are you sure that you're getting the full the full explanation, you know, all the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is one yeah, right, no, I asked, I totally get it. One piece of advice I like to give is that I encouraged couples to have those candid money talks.
Speaker 5: You know, have like a money date where you.
Speaker 6: Sit down and you kind of lay it all out and explain what's going on with your finances, because you know, relationships can get messy. You know, you're co mingling, you're bringing your lives together. You know, it's only fair that you're open and honest with one another. You know. We found that one of the most common reasons for the financial and fidelity was that the perpetrator felt like they had no control over their finances. They just kind of felt that they needed to feel more in control financially, and the way that they did that was by lying to their partner.
Speaker 2: Well, that's tough. Not a great way to start a relationship, that's for sure. How can folks find the article most easily? So, I'm sure people are going to be interested in reading it. What's the best way to get to find the piece?
Speaker 5: Sure, so if they just head on over to money do.
Speaker 7: Us news dot com, they'll be fine able to find the say, along with a lot of other amazing advice articles that we have, you know, specifically around uh finance, credit cards, and and everything else that anyone can be curious about.
Speaker 2: So Money dot US News and World Report dot com.
Speaker 6: Well, Money dot US news dot com.
Speaker 2: Oh great, making it simple money dot us Yes dot com. Okay, I like that, Adriana, Thank you very much. You've You've answered a lot of questions. I. We don't prescript these interviews, as people realize and as they say, I sometimes I just don't chance to read every one of these as as well as I should. But it allows me to ask questions because I might not have asked questions and gotten the information as much information out if I if I had read this article. This is fascinating. Thank you so much for joining us, LUI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep in touch.
Speaker 1: Thanks Adriana, Thanks Bie, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: We get back. This is also somewhat concerned, if it concerning if you work, bosses are keeping closer tabs on their employees than ever. We're going to talk with Betsy Alan Manning. She's a leadership expert and a keynote speaker and owner and CEO of Destination Workplace. If you are an employee, you need to stick with us right after the news and we will explain it all. This is an interesting article out of business inside or coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure a lot of you on this Friday night are at the end of a work week and you say I got the weekend. Well, let me give you something else to worry about. My guest is Betsy Alan Manning. She's a leadership expert, an author, and a keynote speaker, as well as being the owner and CEO of Destination Workplace. Betsy Alan Manning, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I understand that bosses are keeping tabs on people like me, employees now more than ever. What's going on this is this is an article that appeared in Business Insider that we're referring to. What's going on, Betsy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, employee surveillance is at an all times.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a horrible word. Employee surveillance.
Speaker 4: What it's called, Yeah, it's yeah. And the thing question we kind of need to be asking is our companies keeping people accountable or just keeping them paranoid at this point?
Speaker 2: Just remember this, Betsy, Betsy, you're not paranoid if they're really after you, You know that, right.
Speaker 4: Right, that's true. That's true now that we've had Since since twenty twenty, the demand for employee surveillance software grew fifty four percent and it's getting bigger from there. Whopping Seventy three percent of employers use recorded calls, emails, messages, and performance reviews, and thirty seven percent have actually used recordings to fire someone.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so you're saying that if you are on a company phone and you're having a conversation, now you realize that you're told that. Okay, you know your privacy is not what it is when you're at home. Everybody understands that. But if you're in a company phone, they can listen to your conversation.
Speaker 4: They can listen in, they can track your calls, they can track your especially when you are working on your computer. If you're a remote or hybrid role, they can track your keystrokes on your computer. They can track your mouth, whether it's moving or not. This is when we say this, this software is rising. It is a new micromanagement tool.
Speaker 2: Talk about big brother, this is big uncle or something like that. I mean, well, I can I get it. Look, anybody who would use uh employee equipment for stupid reasons for doing stupid stuff, well that's they're being stupid. But but I mean, if you're talking to a family member about some you know, personal issue, a family member who's sick or something like that, how do they how do they do all this I mean, let's say that there's a company of I don't know, take take a company of one hundred people, a thousand people, or ten thousand people. How many people do you have to have to follow what one hundred people are doing a thousand people or ten thousand people. I've hit people in companies now who are actually hired and are working as spies on their fellow employees. That is that as bad as is that as far as we've gone, we're going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did Hunger Games call them tracker jackers? I think that's the name that we should give them.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a traditional movie Go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, No, they're actually a lot of It is a software tool that will track Most companies are using it to track productivity with remote workers, so they want to know how productive they're being. They So what I said, the keystroke strikes that that they're inputting the time that they're on maybe a zoom call or zoom meeting with potential clients, that they want to make sure that they're actually on those calls. That they're software that can track that their software that can track their mouse movement. And what's funny about this is employees are getting around it by using fake work software. So we've got we've got both software coming up. Bosses use the technology to track productivity. Employees are using technology to fake productivity. This is the digital cat and mouse game of the workplace right now.
Speaker 2: Wow, talk about a brave new world. You know, it's funny. I speak for myself. I have a setup work remotely. I've worked remotely since twenty twenty once COVID hit as a talk show host, and I have tried to keep and have kept a really distinct separation between anything that's personal or anything that is dealing with the company, and I keep them separate. I have my personal desktop computer, so if I have to deal with anything that's personal or that that's on that, anything else is on the company at the same time. On my desktop I have, you know, in my job, one of the things I have to do is scan newspapers and scan news stories and all of that. I do a lot of that stuff on my personal computer, simply because it's easier. I have a you know, a subscription to the Boston Globe, but a subscription to the Boston Herald. So when I do that, when I'm actually working on my personal desktop, computer. I'm not going to get credit for that on my lapaptop because I'm not doing it on the company laptop. That's kind of interesting.
Speaker 4: Not a Big Brothers watching you, you won't get credit for it at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want They'd brother watching me on my personal I mean, you know, I don't want I don't want big brother or big uncle watching me anywhere. But at the same time, I think you have to be smart enough to know that. And you know, I am not a gambler, but if you're gambling folks, you know, on football games, and you're using your company's computer to do that, you are leaving yourself open to being I think called on the carpet, yes or no.
Speaker 4: Betsy, Oh absolutely well. And now if they're using software now legally they need to less you know that they are installing the software. That's why employees have come up with these that fake work software that they can use in return. So, uh, you know, I think this is first of all, I think it's a little unethical as second of all, it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: A little, yes, a little. That's like being a little pregnant ethical. You're not.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: I can see when we were when we went fully remote. You know, at first, employers were saying, well are people really working? And well are they getting results? You have to ask yourself that are we paying them, you know, the full pay that they were getting before, but they're taking more time off. Who cares? If they're getting the results that need they need to get For you, that's me all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I agree with you. And uh, look, most employees, most employees, you you can track work product. I don't see a problem with tracking work product, whether or if you're a salesperson, what your sales revenue looks like if if you look I'm a talk show host, you know, go go look at my ratings or whatever. What. But yeah, this is pretty scary stuff. Have there been any major lawsuits because I'm I'm not familiar with any, particularly by unions who represent workers. Uh, and that that that the unions have our hip to this and are and are snapping back at the corporations assuming that somebody who's employed as a union worker as opposed to you know, an independent contractor or not not affiliated with the union. Are the unions jumping back at this.
Speaker 4: Or No, I'm unaware of that at this time. But what I do know is that they're losing people because of the surveillance. So I'm not I'm not sure if they're if they're ssuing people, if the unions are fighting against this, it's more about the people that they're losing because of putting the surveillance into play. And research is showing that high trust workplaces outperform low trust workplaces. They up to fifty percent in productivity. So this is working against them anyway, if they if they knew what the what the stats were, you know, and low trust workplaces says have higher turn rates as well, So this makes perfect sense. If you treat people like they can't be trusted, you shouldn't be surprised when they leave or when they show you that they're not trustworthy, because you're micromanaging them the entire time. No one likes to be micromanaged.
Speaker 2: You could say that again, sister, I totally hear you that one, Betsy. I really enjoyed this conversation. You have fun. It's also something that I knew very little about, and I think it's great that you guys are out there looking at this. And if folks want to read the article, just go. I assume to Business Insider and it's available.
Speaker 4: Yes, go read it on Business Insider. And if you want to know what workplace trends are actually working right now, go to destinationworkplace dot com and download the national workplace trend study we just put out.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is a fascinating area of conversation. We'll have you back in maybe we'll talk about some of that as well. Your website is destinationworkplace dot com. Right, that is correct, Betsy Allen Manning, thank you very much. I enjoyed this conversation. You're a good sport, and I'd like to try to keep it light even when it is a serious topic. And I do consider this to be a serious topic. Thank you so much. Thanks for having me all right, You're very welcome when we get back on and talk about another serious topic, particularly for people in Massachusetts. There is a flu surge here in Massachusetts, and we're going to talk with doctor Sheila Derome. She's the chief infection Control officer of Tought's Medical Medicine and hospital epidemiologists at the Tough Medical Center. That's a mouthful. We've had doctor Doron on before. We'll have her back in about two minutes right after this break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World Nice Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm delighted to welcome back to the night side audience, doctor Shirah Doerome. She's the chief infection Control Officer for Tuft's Medicine and also the ho hospital epidemiologists at Tuft's Medical Center, Doctor Drone. You've been with us before.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, How are you great?
Speaker 3: Great to be back with you.
Speaker 2: So, unfortunately, we're talking about a flu surge here in Massachusetts, and we're talking about as I understand that the good old traditional winter flu that maybe some of us had forgotten about what's going on.
Speaker 8: That's right, we are having a doozy of a flu season. What we're seeing is that our hospital admissions for influenza virus are in the very high range, although this week they are starting to decline very nicely, almost down to the high range, which is better than very high. Whereas our emergency department visits have gone from the very high range last week, which was the first week they were in very high range, down to the high range this week. So we seem to be coming out of it, but we're still in the midst of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, I know that there's lots of stuff that's going around, But when we talk about the flu, I had a thing in Christmas time where I felt it was well, I think it was basically my doctor said eventually was bronchitis. I really, you know, had not trouble breathing, but I could feel stuff in my lungs. They actually sent me for a long X ray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia, and I had a cough that I couldn't get rid of for about three weeks. Is that the type of flu we're talking about or is it a different strain that we're talking about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a great question. When we talk about the flu, we are talking about a specific virus called influenza. But the MASSIS is from a public colust and of course the CDC and nationally they also track all acute respiratory disease. So if we look at acute respiratory disease, which it consists of things like flu, covid, rs V, and all the other viruses out there that cause the symptoms that you're describing, and we really can't distinguish based on symptoms which virus it is. If you look at that we're actually in a pretty normal season, but flu is a bad one. Flu is a bad one and attends lots of people to the hospital. This year is you know, we are seeing some really serious complications, especially in infants, where we're seeing some neurologic complications, and so that's why our hospitals are really feeling it right now.
Speaker 2: So when you talk about flu, are you talking about you know, upper respiratory and cough or is that different. I'm just trying to put it in a context here, or does the flu involve more like aches and b pains and temperature I did. I checked myself for COVID a couple of times that week. I felt what kind of allows you? But I didn't feel horrible. I was negative on COVID and negative on the the chest X ray. So you know, I'm finding that regard and I've recovered from it. But the thing that really got me was this horrific cough that you just couldn't bring anything up, those symptoms of the flow. I'm just trying to understand here how we distinguish between one and the other, that's all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is hard to distinguish, and generally only a test can distinguish, and you don't necessarily need a test because it's not always important to make that distinction. A typical true influenza infection has a sudden onset where you feel like suddenly you're hit by a truck. You have aches, you feel weak and fatigued, you have fever, and the cough is pretty significant usually, and that cough can last for six weeks. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you're still contagious. That means that there's been damaged to your airway, and it's not all that uncommon then to get additional complications as you're recovering, like something like a pneumonia, which is the most common complication of fluid.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what caused this big spike this year? Was it the fact that we were all protected from I did my flu shot, I did my COVID shot, I do all my shots. What caused it? Did we just get a little overconfident and failed to get ourselves immunized or was it just something that came through and we now know we were going to get it no matter what we did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's probably a combination of things, and maybe none of those things. You know, we have good beers and bad years or less less bad years and bad years. We are a bit less well immunized than we have been in prior years. We're seeing that across all age groups. There's lower uptake this year than in prior years. I'll emphasize that it is not too late, because there's still a lot of flu out there and there's going to be for many more weeks, so people can still get their shot. It may be that our vaccine this year, among the people who did get it, it may not be working that well. The Cleveland Clinic just put out a paper looking at all their employees this season so far, and they compared those that did and those that did not get the shot. There was no difference in testing positive for flu. So maybe we don't have a great match this year. We usually don't know that until we look back at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My understanding is that last summer, when there was a flu in the southern hemisphere, that was what we assumed was coming this way, and that the influence of vaccine then is based upon that information, and sometimes it's analyzed properly and sometimes it's not. Is that a fear common.
Speaker 8: That's right and there right now, there are kind of two predominant circulating strains, and if you look at the vaccine that we chose to make, the vaccine is pretty good against one of the predominant strains and pretty not so good against the other. So it makes sense that we wouldn't be amazing efficacy against this here strength.
Speaker 2: Okay, my last question is if people either have been vaccinated or they're going to go ahead and get vaccinated, what else can we do to avoid it? Obviously, cough into your elbows, I get all of that, stay away from other people who are coughing. What else could people do to minimize the chances that March and April will bring us you know, nice spring flowers at some point, but also will bring us more flu cases. What can they do in addition, if they've had their shots already to keep it safe.
Speaker 8: It's so hard, right, I mean, most people will get at least one respiratory viral infection during the winter, and you can't beat yourself up about it. You can you can wash your hands a lot and stay away from sick people. I think you know, in addition to getting all the vaccines that are recommended to you for the season, you want to maintain your underlying health so that when you do get a virus, you weather the storm success. So making sure that you're always focusing on optimizing your chronic medical conditions like heart disease and lung disease, which are such huge risk factors for severe influenza complications. Making sure you're eating healthy and getting exercise and getting outside and managing your stress and sleeping and all those things.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: First of all, doctor Darn, thank you very much for joining us. I know that normally you're providing us information which is cautionary, and I hope people have listened because there was a really a plethora of great advice that you provided us tonight, and we thank you very much as always, and somenight the not to do this in future, maybe we'll have you on for a longer session and we'll get you to take some phone calls, because I know that whenever whenever I have had you on, you've been always a great guest, whether in short version like tonight or the more long form hour version later on in the broadcast. Thanks again so much for your time, really.
Speaker 8: Always a pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Talk to doctor Shira Dern, Chief Infection Control Officer, Tufts Medicine and also hospital epidemiologist at the Tofts Medical Center. When we get back, we are going to talk with another doctor, doctor John Freeman, about the bad news that came out of mass General Brigham earlier this month, about layoffs and cutbacks and what the implications are going forward. My name is Dan Ray. This is a Friday night edition of Nightside. Lots of great information for you tonight. We'll have some fun later on tonight in the twentieth hour. Stay with us. We're here for you all the way to midnight.