Speaker 1: Hello, dear friends, Welcome to the Gods of View podcast. I am your host, Trevor Morale is backup systems are good, forecasts are optimistic. We've moved on, We've grown. The hate mail is no longer top of mind. Ooben ounce back. No, it's not you, guys. You could tell. You could tell what I was wanting. I was sharing the hate mail to elicit a compensatory complimentary email chain and one of you listened. One of you listened, So thank you. I feel much better, much appreciated. I particularly like this in the email from our dear listener. You should be a guest on Jesse Michael's podcast or Matt Beal's or dare I say rogans into that? I say, from your lips to God's ears, my friend put it out there, send out those vibrations. I'd be really nervous to do something like that because I'd probably lose my job. But you know, if you get on Rogan, it's probably like okay to lose your job. You know, you just got to have lots of books to sell or something by the time you get to Rogan, because yeah, that would be an immediate job loss for me, unless I went on there and did my best to not be interesting and just talked about my actual research and stuff. But yeah, that would be an immediate termination. And here's the thing. I've already been fired once for thought crime. I'd hate to do it again anyway. But yes, that'd be great, that'd be fun. The only thing about Jesse Michaels if I'm I don't want to slander anybody, but saying he like a multi millionaire investor in Peter Tele's venture capital fund, the great evil Peter Til No, I don't know is he evil? He? I mean he he owns an evil company? Is that true? Am I making this up? Jesse Michael's investor Teal Capital? Well Google pre wrote it, so oh yeah, he's a He's a big time He's a big time Peter Teal venture capital guy. So I don't know it just I always feel a little a little funny when the like cool, open minded youngster is a multi millionaire venture capitalist invested with Peter Teel. So I think I've already just doomed my invite to the Jesse Michaels Show. But I could be wrong. Maybe this is overblown, Maybe it doesn't matter. It's kind of a bummer though, Like it's hard to just be a regular guy in this world, you know, like in this world where everyone's an actor and everything is a stage, it's difficult to just be a regular guy. And right now, I'm still very firmly a regular guy, and I kind of like it. I kind of like that. You know, this is not this show is not huge. Do I mean that? Do I mean that? I gotta think about that. There's a middle ground, right there's a dangerous middle zone. Like I'm safe here. I'm safe here with very few listeners. And I would be safe if I had a million listeners, because that'd be financially viable. But everything in between the three hundred listeners I have now and the million listeners I would need for financial independence is nothing but danger. That's the danger zone. That's the loser job zone. That's to become unhireable zone. So you gotta be careful. Anyway, I've got a pretty cool topic for you all today. I think I'm a nervous wreck, you guys. I never ask for guests, and I've started asking for guests. I asked on a big forum online where people were like kind of science minded but open minded you know, and that's how I got paired up with that paleontologist a couple episodes ago, who I thought was very generous with this time, much appreciated, and I emailed this guy directly because I'm a big fan of the way he's set up experiments to test theories and consciousness, particularly orchestrated objective reduction, which is I still have a hard time wrapping my head around. But it has something to do with Roger Penrose's ideas and Stewart Hammeroff's ideas that conscious experience subjective experience is a product somehow of the collapse of quantum wave functions within our mind. And you know, it's kind of tough to understand what that means, except for the fact that Stuart Hammeroff and antithesiologists has sort of put forward a location for this, which is the microtubule. And of course this was sort of dismissed because for a long time we've assumed that quantum activity cannot occur in a warm, wet, and noisy environment like our mind. You know, our quantum computers. We cool them down to nearly absolute zero. But it turns out we may have been wrong about that, as is often the case, we end up being wrong about stuff, and microtubules are very small, so it's difficult to study them. And Mike Weist, the guy who I'm talking about right now, he designed a really interesting study to do just that. And so I emailed him said hey, would you come on the show, And I expected never to hear back from him, and he said yes. So I have an urgent need. I'm putting out the all Points bulletin. This is a call to action, a call to arms. Fall in attention, fall in at attention listeners of the Gods I View podcast. I'm going to play an interview he did to just get us in the right headspace for this topic. This is big, this is uncharted territory for the Gods I View podcast. We're talking to real people, real people of import and we need to have our wits about us to navigate these treacherous waters. And so what I would like is some listener questions. I think that'd be pretty cool to go on a show as a guest and already have listener questions ready shows a level of engagement with the topic, which I think is pretty special. So we're going to listen to this video and if you have a question, pop into your mind, jot it down, send it to me. God's I view book at gmail dot com, and I will ask the man himself when I speak to him next week. Unless he listens to the show and decides to cancel, that's always possible, But as of right now, we're on, So let's go.
Speaker 2: What I'm going to be suggesting is that microtubules, and I'll tell you more about those, but they are literal tubes made out of protein that are inside all of ourselves, including our nerve cells. They have special roles and special organization and special accessory proteins in neurons in brain cells as compared to other parts of the body, and so I have a bit of Well, the hypothesis on the.
Speaker 3: Table is that our consciousness.
Speaker 2: Is a property of vibrations of these microtubules, of the dipole, the electric dipoles, that they're made out of a collective vibration of the microtubules in our brain cells. The hypothesis is that is the the physical substrate of our consciousness.
Speaker 1: All right, big claim, big claim that the audio is kind of bad for some reason on this YouTube video, so sorry for all the background ers. Although my computer does a pretty good job filtering stuff out. Sometimes it sounds bad in my headphones and good in real life. So anyway to the claim is this structure, this kind of ubiquitous structure, highly evolutionary conserved structure, meaning it's in all cells, human cells, shark cells, plant cells, protozoa. They all have microtubules, and microtubules we kind of assumed were very important. They seemed like they were sort of spokes on a bicycle wheel radiating out from the cell center called the centrosome. And there is these little cool you can watch animations of it online. These little cool is it canesan and dining proteins that would walk towards the cell center or away from carrying luggage, carrying vesicles, and so this is how things move around in the cell. This is something that sort of missed in like high school biology.
Speaker 3: One on one.
Speaker 1: You have all these structures and it's like, well, okay, yeah, but how does stuff get around? And this is how there's this sort of intracellular high way system railroad system tracks that motor proteins little engines pull train cars around. It's really cool. I mean, it is so cool, but it's still that's kind of a basic, you know, very mundane thing, railroad tracks, right, but they also do some other stuff. They also organize the cell's genetic material during mitosis, and they split your genome in half. Well, you make a copy of it first, but so your your cell copies your DNA, so you have two copies of everything, and the centrisome split it in half in reel in these sister chromatids or the the you know, the new chromosomes, the daughter chromosomes, sorry, two opposite poles of the cell, and then they push the cells apart until they split in half. So it's actually the centrisomes that are like key and foundational to cellular division and replication mitosis. So that's kind of interesting right. Well now Mike Weist and others are proposing that no, no, no, as they do much more than that. You know, these things, these structures are made of these little tubulent subunits that are polar, meaning they have the two sides of the molecule have a charge. There's an electrical gradient to cross them, and they resonate, they flip back and forth, and so the idea is that somehow this resonant frequency is responsible for our inner world, for subjective experience. It's fantastical, but they do some really good research. Now I'm still sort of stuck the same place I'm stuck with all explanations of consciousness, which is like, Okay, this is all very cool, but it's I still don't really understand, and maybe it's my own issue, but I still don't understand how this process leads to the subject active experience, like the feeling that I'm in my head looking out listening thinking how does this little resonance lead to that? And Mike does a pretty good job, you know, doing the best any human could really of teasing that out. So let's listen.
Speaker 2: And aside from the evidence I'm gonna talk about here, this is also kind of plausible because in a biological or evolutionary sense, because from the very beginning of life from this in single celled organisms, microtubules are already playing a very dynamic role integrating sensory information and coordinating movement. So it's microtubules that are inside the philipodia and scillia and various kinds of legs that single celled organisms have and are participating with other parts of the cytoskeleton in actually swimming and crawling and so on. It's microtubules. One of my slides is about how it.
Speaker 1: It is kind of cool that the first instruments of moving and interacting with the environment were brought about by microtubules. You know, the cilia, the flagellum, the things that move around on cells that allow them to walk around and explore. Those microtubules. I think there's something pretty profound about that. You don't think You don't think of a little hair that can move and make you swim as being like this foundational thing about existence. But it is the ability to go out into the world as a little cell, you know, and have goals, find food, evade danger, like this is this is it? This is the first stirrings of life, right, it's pretty It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: The microtubules that coordinate or choreograph the beautiful dance of the chromosomes during mitosis. So in the middle are the chromosomes being pulled apart. What's pulling them apart are microtubules, and what's coordinating all that is the so called microtubule organizing center, which is also made out of microtubules. You've probably heard that they function like railroad tracks for little munchkins that carry proteins to different parts of the cell. There is even a series of papers in which Gunter Albrecht Bueler shows them some really nice experiments that in some single celled organisms, microtubules appear to be detecting electromagnetic radiation infra red light and not only detecting it, but detecting what direction it's coming from, so that the cell can orient itself with respect to that. So, you know, they act like little eyes and little nerves inside single cells and kind of like muscles as well. So they kind of do the whole the whole business of life aside from aside from the replication, and so yeah, I use this slide to stand for a whole range of phenomena showing that although they are called part of the cytoskeleton and they're stiff and they have a function like bones, they're not just bones for the cell. They're not just tent poles holding up the cell. They have many functions. And so this is this quantum consciousness hypothesis is.
Speaker 3: Is tacking onto that, and it sort of.
Speaker 2: Makes sense of the continuity between life and consciousness that has been that's starting to be noted by neuroscientists.
Speaker 1: It's really a profound point. Yes, I'm sorry, yeah, commercial anyway, So it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting to see what we end up talking about.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I have found that all scientists, especially experimentalists like doctor Weist, they're pretty reluctant to speculate. And this show is like, that's all I want to do, you know, I just want to get all the speculation out of my system, you know. And so we'll see, you know, if it's going to be more of a pretty much straightforward research discussion. But I would love to know. I would love to be like I wish Mike could come anonymously so I could just ask him, like, what do you think is really going on? Man? Come on, tell me level with me. If no one was going to know, if no one was going to listen to this, what is this? What in the world is this? Now we haven't even really got into the interesting part yet, so I guess I'll stop talking.
Speaker 2: So that's making the connection between life and consciousness. Now. Another way to make this connection is by considering anesthesia, which are medically miraculous.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we have volatile.
Speaker 2: Anesthetics and we have different kinds of injectable anesthetics on focusing on the vile, volatile ones. We vaporize them and breathe them in like a gas. And it turns out those kind work on everything alive, not just us and primates or mammals, but also invertebrates, single cell creatures that have no neurons at all, and even plants.
Speaker 1: This should be the end of the discussion. You know, this should be it. Let me let me give you some background. We don't really have a good sense about how anesthesia works. There's a lot of theories about gabba receptors and ion channels and neurons. No one wants to entertain the idea that they could function, that could act on a much simpler structure because what are the implications. Well, what does anesthesia do? Anesthesia turns consciousness off. So whatever structure the anesthesia interacts with must be the structure that is key to conscious experience, right, Because if this molecule, this anesthesia molecule, turns off consciousness, it's the key to consciousness. What is the luck, what is it attaching to? What is it interacting with? And because we have we have such a neuron dominant framework for the brain and how the brain works, and how consciousness works. We want to assume it must be that anesthesia directly affects neurons. However, anesthesia also affects plants and single cell organisms. What are plants and single cell organisms missing. They're missing neurons, they're missing neurons. So surely can't be the neuron. And you can like equivocate, you can say, well, maybe there's something like a neuron blah blah blah blah. No, no, listen, listen, stop, stop, stop the binding side of this molecule. That's that's the key. Where where do these molecules bind? What is their target? What is the effector it can't be neurons, It can't be neuron cell membrane, It can't be an ion channel in a neuron. It can't be a receptor in a neuron because single cell organisms don't have that. And these drugs do the same things across all these creatures. And there's a great quote on the screen right now by Claude Bernard that says, what is alive must sense and can be anesthetized. The rest is dead. And this is true, This is just foundationally true. This is key it's no wonder that one of the coolest theories of consciousness comes from an antithesiologist, because what an anise geologists do. They turn consciousness on and off. And they try to do so without turning your heart on and off. That's the other equally important competing factor. But they turn consciousness on and off in a reversible manner. That's the key, because you can turn consciousness on and off a lot of ways. You could get a forty five caliber could do that, but you can't bring them back easily. So the ability to reversibly turn consciousness off, that's what antithesiologists do. And how interesting is it that we don't know how their drugs work until maybe now. But you guys have to understand, this is pretty controversial. There's not widespread acceptance of this because it really undermines, in my opinion, the neuroscientific framework for interpreting consciousness because if the neuron isn't necessary for consciousness, then we've got a real problem. But now listen, it's still physical explanation. We're we're not invoking the soul or the spirit yet, but it does just it's pretty This is people don't like this. People don't like to hear this, especially neuroscientists.
Speaker 2: And so for those creatures, we don't know if they're conscious, But what we can.
Speaker 3: Observe is these gases reversibly.
Speaker 2: Stop their wiggling around, and so Claude Bernard basically used anesthesia almost as a definition of life.
Speaker 3: If it's alive, it can be anesthetized.
Speaker 2: So I've already pointed out some of these things don't have neurons, but they're sensitive to the same chemicals that put us to sleep for surgery. So this is a table showing a list of proteins and cellular components that I that volatile anesthetics bind to. And so these are candidate molecular targets that might be part of how these gases make us on conscious.
Speaker 3: I circled the ones.
Speaker 2: I circled the microtubules because those are the ones I'm going to focus on. So the field tends to assume that, because these gases are so they say, promiscuous, they bind to many different proteins. The assumption is they probably make us unconscious by some combined effect.
Speaker 3: On many different proteins. But there are a number.
Speaker 2: Of facts that suggest instead that although.
Speaker 3: They bind the many things.
Speaker 2: The functional effect on consciousness is coming from one main target, one main molecular target. And the first of these facts is the so called Meyer Overton correlation here, which is this linear relationship, although it's on log log scale, but this very strict relationship between how well these different chemicals are, how soluble they are an olive oil that predicts how much you need of that anesthetic to put someone to sleep. So the solubility in lipids is predicting how effective these chemicals are as an anesthetic. And why that's suggestive or why it's remarkable is that these are these different chemicals on the on the chart are very diverse chemically. Some of them are just single elements, single atoms, like nitrogen crypton ze xenon. Xenon is an anesthetic at a high enough concentration, So they don't these chemicals.
Speaker 3: Don't really have chemical similarities.
Speaker 2: What they have in common is their tendency to go into hydrophobic pockets in cells.
Speaker 3: That's that's the solubility in fatty stuff. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: So that relationships is suggesting that rather than some kind of specific chemical lock and key binding as is typical of most drugs, these kinds of drugs maybe are interacting by a relatively.
Speaker 3: Non specific physical interaction.
Speaker 2: Similarly, the second part here, the second panel, is to argue against the idea that these gases are primarily working on ion channels. So iron channels are the gates in the membranes of our neurons that let charged ions in and out, and that's how that's how we create the electrical signals that neurons use to communicate with each other and that they use to communicate with muscles. So we know that whatever our mind is, it must be able to translate its commands into action potentials to talk to muscles. And so that's you know, because ion channels govern those action potentials. That's why people tend to focus on the ion channels as the likely targets of anesthetics. But if you consider that, what this charge is showing is how if you take the half of an effective dose of one anesthetic and half of an effective dose of another anesthetic dose, you can put them together and get approximately one effective dose. But the pairs here are chosen such that one of the chemicals in the pair has a strong effect on a particular ion channel receptor, like maybe the inhibitory gabbot receptors and the other one does not. And so the fact that you can put them together and get a full dose is arguing against any single ion channel being the primary target. And the authors who put this review together also concluded they couldn't come up with any combination of ion channels that could explain how these anesthetics put us to sleep. So those are some facts, some observations to suggest maybe there's one primary target. And you know, the primary target I'm going to suggest is microtubules, and so this paper is some theoretical support for that idea. Tubulin are the pieces the that polymerize into microtubules. And so they did a quantum chemical simulation of different anesthetic molecules binding to tubulin and how that binding disrupts or does not disrupt the vibrations, the dipole vibrations that I mentioned earlier that are supposed to be the substrate of consciousness. And so they found that the more you mess with those vibrations, the stronger of an anesthetic we're talking about. And so, in other words, by assuming that anesthetics are operate, are binding to microtubules to cause their effects on consciousness, they more or less reproduce that Meyer Overton correlation, and I don't think that can be said for any other candidate molecular target. So this is consistent with the possibility that microtubules are the main molecular target by which volatile anesthetics make us unconscious. And so that's also consistent with the possibility that they might be the substrate of consciousness.
Speaker 3: It doesn't prove it by itself.
Speaker 2: And moreover, well, yeah, so yeah, there's some further evidence.
Speaker 3: I want to mention.
Speaker 2: Here's a bit more about microtubules what they look like in an em electron micrograph, and you can see the so called microtubule associated proteins forming these cross bridges amongst them, so they allow them to make larger scale structures, and they also help keep the microtubules from falling apart. My anesthetic result, or excuse me, my experimental result published in twenty twenty four is this pretty simple experiment.
Speaker 3: Where excuse me.
Speaker 2: There's this class of drugs, taxing drugs that bind to microtubules and they are used as anti cancer drugs because we already mentioned how microtubules are major players in mitosis. They use these drugs against cancer. Most of these drugs don't penetrate the blood brain barrier, so they.
Speaker 3: Don't get into the brain very well.
Speaker 2: But recently people have been developing versions of these drugs that do get into the brain, and so we used We gave one of those to our rats and simply observed that when we expose them to isofluorine, a particular anesthetic gas that's also used on humans, if they had epob in their system binding to microtubules, then it took them longer to fall unconscious under the gas.
Speaker 3: Here's what it looked like, how we measured it. Unconsciousness.
Speaker 2: It's the latency to the loss of writing reflex. That means, if you flip the rat on its back, if it's awake.
Speaker 1: It animal research is so interesting. I don't do it, but all these little techniques they have, you know, the whisker response saying this is the loss of writing reflex. You know, they basically flood this thing with gas and then they put it on his back, and if he stays on his back or takes a really long time to get up, you know, you time that and that's sort of you operationally define as conscious or unconscious, because, yeah, an awake rat if you've put it on his back. It's going to flip over immediately. It's not going to be happy about that. So basically, just recap. You have this drug that binds to microtubules, have atholm B. So you put two groups of rats in two separate enclosures. You administer epithelium B to one group. So now that group's microtubules are saturated and epithelium B, so the amount the availability for other drugs to bind to microtubules is diminished. It's sort of an antagonistic binding effect. It's now any other drug that binds some microtubules will have to compete with epithelion B. And so sure enough, if you flood the chambers with with anesthetic gas, the group that was not administered epithelim B goes unconscious, as it should, it's anesthetized. Anesthetized, the group that had epithelium B injections stays awake, stays conscious will probably be a better way of saying it. And I think eventually you know they do, they do go to sleep for whatever reason. You know, the anesthetic outcompetes or yet the epithelion B has bound to every site or the epithelum B has a half life and it wears off. Whatever the reason, you know, but the point is the only way that should work. The only way is because of the microtubules. Unless I don't know the criticism, it could be the epithelium B also binds to other things, and so someone might argue, well, maybe it was something else, you know, So maybe that's something I could ask Mike, But uh, I call them Mike. We're on a first name basis. And anyway, it's a pretty cool experiment that this is the type this is the type of experiment I love. Like earlier he mentioned like, hey, people think that it's the ion channels. So what what this study did is, you know, they found a dose of a drug that's known to buy on bind to ion channels. Right, let's call it ten milligrams, and when you administer that dose to a mouse and mouse goes unconscious. Now, let's remove half of that dose, five milligrams and replace it with five milligrams of a different anesthetic that we know does not bind to microtubula or two ion channels, and let's administer that and then it works the exact same way. You know, and you know they fall asleep in the same amount of time, the same amount of drug is needed to get the desired effect. So it's just it's very clear that it's not the ion channels, but we want it to be the ion channels, and that may not make sense to you. The reason neuroscientists want it to be the ion channels is because ion channels is how action potentials are generated. Action potential potentials are nerve signals. It's this brief reversal of membrane potential. We should do an episode on it as fascinating. I talked about it quite a bit on My Brothers of the Serpent episode. If you want to try to find that, I think they titled a God's Eye View. I'm not sure anyway, So you have this brief reversal of memorane potential that travels down the axon this long tail of the neuron, and when it gets to the end, neurotransmitter is released. Neurotransmitter creates potentially a action potential in the next neuron in the chain. And so in this way we have electrical signals moving back and forth between neurons, and we propose most neuroscientists propose that consciousness is an emergent property of this process. Highly complex interactions, convergence, divergence, reinforcing loop, parallel processing, serial processing, all of these global workspace theory, integrated information theory. It's this summation of basically switch flipping the way chat GPT works. Essentially, we have input, we have outputs, we have parameters, they're weighted, you know, some pathways are stronger than others. And out of this emerges the subjective experience of being alive, of being embodied. To me, that's a huge category air. But that's just my opinion. And so that whole thing, the whole ivory tower that this theory is, or the foundations of the theory that this ivory tower is built upon, is all based on ion channels, voltage gated sodium channels open and the ax on hillock sodium rushes in. This reverses the negative potential, where the inside of the neuron is more negative than the outside. And there you have it. This is electrical communication. Electrical signals are sent. Okay, So a drug that makes you unconscious, if that's what consciousness is, if consciousness comes from that, then any drug that affects consciousness should affect ion channels, it should bind to ion channels or do something else like that, it should alter synaptic transmission. Right, so maybe the ion channels, maybe the action potentials are still being sent, but for whatever reason, their arrival at the end of a neuron at the axon terminal doesn't do anything acts you know, neurotransmitter isn't released or something like that. So there's always there's always a fallback position. It's a battle, right, and the mainstream neuroscientists are up, you know, and the trenches I'm gonna take this metaphor all the way, and they're being bombarded by experimental evidence, right, their position is being mortared into oblivion. So they retreat, they fall back, and they to a new trench. They take cover, and they reinford, they dig in and now they're entrenched in some new position. But they did it just continuously. They're losing ground, they're losing ground, they're losing ground, and this is just the latest iteration.
Speaker 2: Of that well immediately flip itself back onto its feet. And so we also made sure were the people taking this measurement were blind to whether the rat had epob or not. And then we got these results showing that it took them sixty nine seconds longer on average to fall asleep if they had EPOB in their system. And so the way we interpret that is the EPOB is binding to the microtubules and it's taking them longer to fall asleep in that condition. So we're inferring the isofluorane was trying to bind to the microtubules to make the rats go asleep. That by itself does not implicate a quantum model, so we can consider how you might account for that finding under a classical model. And in both quantum n classical models, the focus is not on raw firing rates but on functional connectivity. So both kinds of viewpoints agree that if you disconnect different parts of the brain, then you go unconscious. And so one way we could imagine that happening under the classical model is if isofluorine is somehow messing with the microtubules. And I mentioned how they're like railroad tracks.
Speaker 1: For okay, I want to just explain that a little bit. So okay, so say we can see that it's not about ion channel, so it's not about firing rates, which is what he just said. It sounds like that's already been conceded rights. They're already entrenched in their position, like, okay, so it's not about firing rates, fine, what it's about is disconnecting regions of the brain from each other. And so we can test that. We can put someone under an fMRI and we could see that different brain regions are no longer in synchrony when one region activates, meaning it demands more oxygen from the blood, or that there's a change in oxygen in the blood maybe is a better way of saying it, there's not a corresponding change in some other brain region. That would imply both brain regions are either more active or less active in synchrony, and so minister anesthesia. And that happens all of a sudden, all these cohesive like synchronous networks of activity now sort of decouple and they are sort of all are functioning independently. They're still active, they're still firing, but they're decoupled. And so therefore it must be that these chemicals are affecting synaptic release. Now that could still be from an ion channel. I think it's calcium ion channels and the axon terminal that open up and trigger neurotransmitter release. It could be wrong. I think it's calcium anyway, So it could be that, or it could be something else. It could block the receptors, something could happen that prevents neuronal communication without changing neuronal firing, and so this would be the interpretation. It would be Okay, fine, the chemical does bind to microtubules. You win? Are you happy? Don't forget microtubules are the railroads that transport neurotransmitter to the end of the axon. So couldn't you just as easily conclude that anesthesia binds to microtubules and stops what's called vesicular trafficking, the movement of vesicles filled with neurotransmitter down the axon, so there's no synaptic release when the action potential reaches reaches the end of the axon. It's a great point. Now, it's keep in mind, that's a huge like they've seated a lot of ground already, right Like, okay, fine, maybe it is the microtubules, but the right this isn't good. They've they've they've dug back in. They lost the ground, but they've dug back in, and so he's gonna address this.
Speaker 2: Or proteins that get taken to different places in the cell. But that includes synaptic proteins and synaptic transmitters. So we can imagine if you mess up that transport along the microtubules, maybe you would slow down or eliminate synaptic release at axon terminals, and that could overall reduce activity and cause disconnection of different parts of the brain. And so that's a potential way we could imagine, even if the brain is purely classical, even if consciousness is purely classical, how we could get such a result. But I'm showing it as not supported because experimentally, we have some couple of studies showing that in fact, this gas isofluorane, does affect synaptic transmission. But those papers looked into the mechanism by which the gas affects synaptic transmission, and it involved mitochondria and synaptic proteins rather than the microtubules, So that effect on synaptic transmission doesn't seem to be through microtubules current evidence. So that leads me to consider the alternative, the quantum idea. Noting along the way this bit of evidence that so this is using. This is a study of tadpoles. Now we don't know if they're conscious or not. But this group engineered so this is a completely different kind of anesthesia.
Speaker 3: But they engineered an anesthetic.
Speaker 2: That would own that would that was targeting microtubules specifically, and they found they could stop their tadpoles from swimming around reversibly just by targeting microtubules, so supporting that microtubules might be enough by themselves to cause to cause unconsciousness, which is consistent with the possibility that they are the substrate of consciousness. Okay, but why this obsession with the quantum models. This is the end of my abstract of our experimental rat paper, and we say this finding is predicted by models that posit consciousness as a property of a quantum physical state of neuro microtubules.
Speaker 3: So I know you're interested in these guys.
Speaker 1: I think we'll get to the quantum aspect next. So I think we've we've we've followed along with Mike here and it's it seems pretty clear to I think it's intuitive. Let's say that the microtubules are are very important to consciousness and perhaps even the whole bag. You know, now, not to overstate it, right. Consciousness is a complex phenomenon with many different aspects, but it does seem like the microtubules are the switch that turns it on and off. Something about their function is key to consciousness, and it's not necessarily a mundane explanation, like the fact that you know, if you close the highway the car stopped flowing right if if you, if you, if you put some rocks in the railroad tracks, the neurotransmitter can't get to the end of the axe on it. It's something else. Who knows. Maybe it's mundane, maybe it's classical, maybe it's fantastical. Maybe it's quantum. And so we'll get into that what that means next time. I am I'm off, ladies and gentlemen, i am going. I'm gonna share. I'm gonna overshare. I'm going with my family to Pokemon pre release. What is Pokemon pre release? You ask, Well, a couple times a year Pokemon comes out with new Pokemon cards. I'm so embarrassed. And you can go and pay money much less than normal because these things are so expensive now it's crazy. You can pay much less than normal to get a big box of cards, and then part of the deal is that you will put them together into a deck and you will all battle in a tournament, and my wife and daughter are obsessed. Brilliant's my wife? Don't tell her I said this. My absurdly beautiful, like my stunningly beautiful Italian wife is obsessed with playing Pokemon. Can you believe it? This is every thirteen year old boy's dream come true? So yeah, so truly. It's that I don't really like going. I don't like leaving the house, you know me, So, but I go and she'll probably win the whole thing. I'll be in last place, my daughter will be second, and my son will plan. Is I bad? And it's a humiliation ritual. It's just it's just a way to humble dad. I think you know. I think they love it. My kids love it. They love when I say something wrong, when I trip, when I bump into a wall, they laugh, They just ha. They love it. What does this mean? What does this mean? I need the Freudians, the psychoanalyst tell me what this means anyway, So I'm gonna get humbled, deeply humbled by some fifteen year olds. Dude. Teenagers are terrifying and they're just so mean, and they're just gonna destroy me. They think more quickly than I do. You know. I'm just like, I'm dazzled. I'm frazzled. Cards are flying, they're saying things. They could be cheating. I wouldn't even know. They're like the super hammer does a three hundred damage and the seven energies, you know, stack and I'm using the ability and I'm just like, bro, just take it. It's fine, it's fine, I trust you. Just just it's okay. But I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna hang in there for you. I'm gonna be thinking about you all, and I'm gonna try to do you proud. Who knows I might win next time you talk to me, I might be a champion. Anyways, well, I'm have to do that on this very nice Saturday, beautiful day. Not really, it's one hundred and ten degrees here where I live. It's miserable, but it is beautiful, just miserable. So, guys, thank you for listening. I hope you share my deep fascination with this topic. I don't know, it's a little bit more technical in the stuff we normally talk about, but I really see something here. I see something here. What does this mean? What are the philosophical and theological implications of this well, I don't know. I mean, I think it's safe to say that we know a lot less than we thought we did. It's just all more complex than we could have possibly imagined. And listen the moment you start invoking quantum into subjective human experience and quantum fields and quality and you know resonance and you know these quantum dipole resonant frequencies, and it's like, okay, all right, maybe the lines between this and hopefully hopefully Mike doesn't hear me say this, he might not come to the show. But the lines between these things and things like spirit, I don't know, they get a little fuzzy. I just you know, like like the virtue the virtues of these things, like the fact that I won't get into it right now, but that the idea that there is some sort of quantum nature to what it means to be conscious, I don't know. I mean, to me, it's it's hard to imagine something like this evolving in a truly and tropic universe, you know, and and and in just a universe some matter and energy just and you hit fast forward millions of years, millions of years, millions of years, millions of years. I would just anticipate more entropy, you know, second law of thermodynamics. I would just interpret maybe everyone wanting to get some beautiful patterns caused by physical laws. You know, some some some dust clouds with spiral and and and collapsing on each other and form a sun. I can I could picture that, and that sun would eventually die and be extinguished as the millions of years the epochs fly by. Right, But the idea of like crystalline quantum networks that are scaler and they they they they resonate within your mind, within the wet soup of your brain. And it's not just an amazing physical phenomenon. They get it give rise to awareness. Suddenly you're like, I am right, I am that I am, and you're looking out into the world. You have an inner world, there's an outer world that you're aware of, and you think and you dream and you feel and you who's feeling these things? Right? This is more of an algorithm. This is something truly special and truly unique and in my mind, truly inexplicable. I just think it gets really I mean, they do it, they do it, they all do it. You know, they say, oh yeah, evolution makes sense because conscious awareness, you know, you're you might be more survival directed. Maybe, I mean, I think there's simpler ways to evolve survival directed organisms. This ties into the episode we played about doctor last week. He's like, well, hey, if AI models aren't conscious, then we've proven that there's no selective pressure for consciousness because very simply through math, through network connectivity, we can do anything a human can do. We can have conversations, we can reason, we can do art, we can do this, we can do that, we can do that. So there is no evolutionary selective pressure for consciousness. Therefore AI models are conscious. That was Richard Dawkins's conclusion. My conclusion would be no, no, no, to stop, just stop rightther stop with your core premise. There is no evolutionary pressure for consciousness, yet we have it. So what's the conclusion. Maybe somebody wanted us to have it, made us, had it designed the conditions of the simulation so that we would in fact get it. Just sure seems like we're in a ocean of conscious awareness from the simple protozoa that has some fragment, some little sliver of consciousness. To us, it's pretty cool, pretty cool, What a time to be alive. What a world we find ourselves in. Thanks everybody, wish me luck. I hope I draw good cards. That's the beauty of the pre release. You kind just make a comment, there's no other show like this nowhere else will someone just seamlessly swish back and forth between the big questions and explaining Pokemon pre Release to you. That's why you folks come here, That's why you leave me the five star reviews. That's why you tell your friends about the show, and that's why you buy the book. But yeah, Pokemon pre Release. It's kind of a level setter because you're not bringing a deck with you. You're just drawing cards. So there's a luck component. So it could be my day. It could be my chance to make my kids proud. Instead of them laughing at me today, they'll be in awe. I'm going four and oh I might make some kids cry. But that's the price I'm willing to pay. They should have practiced harder, all right, Everybody, stay tuned for the next episode. Email me questions for Mike at God'syviewbook at gmail dot com. Stay safe out there, God bless