Speaker 1: Here's another show you can enjoy in the True Story FM Family of Entertainment podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well, howdy, folks. My name is Lester Ryan Clark, and I'm Keenandias and we're the hosts of The Exorcist Minute, a show where we examine, extrapolate, and excavate the scariest movie.
Speaker 3: Of all time.
Speaker 1: Each episode covers a single minute of William Friedkin's nineteen seventy three horror masterpiece, The Exorcist.
Speaker 2: If you like deep dives, this show is the deepest.
Speaker 1: Did you know the film's iconic theme song, jugular Bells wasn't written specifically for the movie, Or that.
Speaker 2: The nineteen seventy three audience members were throwing up and fainting in the theater before they ever got a glimpse of the demon.
Speaker 1: What about all the crazy onset mishaps, cast injuries the director of firing real guns?
Speaker 2: Ever, wonder where weiji boards came from or how they got their name. How about some history on the Catholic Church or the Roman rite of exorcism, or maybe we can tempt you with some juicy demonology. Lord, did you know that Bazuzu had an ex wife find the Exorcist Minute on iTunes or Spotify or wherever you listen to your shows, or at the Exorcist minute dot com. Until next time, folks.
Speaker 4: The power of the Exorcist compels you.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to this episode of Superhero Ethics. Friends. If you've listened to pretty much any time myself and Paul Hoppy have talked, you've probably heard that poker is a big part of our lives. It's been Paul's primary form of income for a number of years. It's been mostly my hobby, but at times my primary form of income at various points and times. But more even than that, it has shaped a lot of the way that Paul and I talk about things, and then I think, at least for me, and I think somewhat for Paul, a lot of how we understand the world. It of course, also comes up from time to time in some of our favorite stories and TV shows and movies, sometimes portrayed well sometimes well not. So we're gonna be discussing that today, and we're not as much going to talk about poker on screen, although that will definitely reference it. We're more going to be talking about how what poker can help you on understand about the world and about things like probability and uncertainty, and why, at least for me at least, why I think that is such an important issue that does come up in the stories we talk about so much today. So, Paul, why don't you introduce yourself and talk a little bit about your background with poker.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Paul Christopher Happy Akas and Madman, formerly known as Giant Buddha in Poker Circles. I have been playing poker since since I was a kid. Actually, there was literally a Nintendo game called Casino Kid and I rocked to that, and it was basically you go around and you play like five card draw and blackjack against like five different dealers each and you have to bust them. And that's how I learned poker when I was like probably eleven or twelve or something, which I think is funny because you know, it's like, people think of gambling as like eighteen and up, twenty one and up and whatever, and I think for serious sums of money, that's reasonable. But I think the certain fundamentals behind gambling and wagering I think are actually fundamental to understanding reality and decision making in a lot of ways, and so you know, in high school we played some of those wild wild card games, you know. And then shortly after high school, Rounders came out and I saw the preview, actually the movie didn't even come out. I saw the preview and was like, I'm gonna do that. And you know, I was living on my own in New York City, in Manhattan and was playing live poker and supporting myself doing that, and which seems like a ridiculous thing unless you know what my rent was, which was not standard New York City rent. But but you know, I did that for a while, and then I played some online poker but kind of went away from poker when the poker boom happened in like two thousand and three. Came back to it in six and played super seriously from like six until twelve. I'd say, like that was my primary to only a source of income. I then did various poker related things, like I wrote some poker books, I made a lot of coaching videos, I coached individual students, and you know, a lot of my life was around poker at the time. This was right after I stopped teaching martial arts full time, and then I kind of went away from poker and kind of came in and out. But I did work at a casino actually for a year and a half and had almost every job in the poker room, including one that they didn't previously have, which was actually you play on your own money, but on certain hours to help keep games going. And then you know, now I play primarily online poker, but I enjoy all forms of the game, and I would say that, you know, poker really informs so much of my worldview to the point where I think there's a like, maybe a couple other things that are on a similar level in terms of sort of how they've affected how I view the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I can totally see that. I think that's gonna be the meat of what we talk about today. For me, I had kind of a similar start. I didn't play the Nintendo game, but my mother taught me poker at an early age. We played for matchticks, and her idea of it was, you know, she didn't want me necessarily to be a gambler, but you know, in the world she had grown up with and that she was part of as a as a professional, she was a lawyer at a time when it was still pretty new for women to be lawyers, especially for she was one of the first women to go to She was one of the first women to go to Columbia Law School, and in her mind, it was you know, look, you're gonna get invited to poker nights. It's a social thing that people do. It's a good game to know. And I've had kind of a very different journey around poker with Paul, but one that is often intersected in that. For me, as Paul said, there are many different reasons to play poker. For me, it has always primarily been a way to have fun. I was part of the high school games that Paul talked about. Many things will not be said about because in the case in the law enforcement agents, so listening to this, no, it wasn't that bad, but you know, and I really love those I started poker nights in college. At various points in my adult life, I've had a regular like Tuesday night, friends come over to play poker, And for me, it has actually served a very similar role in my life as friends come over to play D and D or friends come over to play matchic the gathering or a board game night. It is a way for friends to come together where the money was a way of helping making it interesting and creating stakes so that people weren't just you know, going crazy all the time. But it was never really about the money. As I said, I have had times where poker has helped supplement my income one point in about six months where it was my entire income, but I didn't have the skill level to really sustain that for that much longer than that, especially it's been a little more than months, but you know, various points in my life, but for the moment, like at one point when Paul and I were talking about doing a poker podcast or a poker website of different kinds, I would always infer to myself as the poker hobbyist, because for me, that's what I always loved, and so I love going to a casino. Last week, actually I was at a casino in Philadelphia, and I wound up playing six hours of poker and losing a total of four dollars because I went down and then I went back up, and then I went down and up, and and I didn't look at it as, oh, no, I had a terrible night. I lost four dollars. I looked at it as I just had six hours of great entertainment at a casino fore and paid seventy five cents an hour. Like that was you know to me, like and we also counted in like the drinks I was getting in the water, and then you know, all it it was worth it. It was a good price to pay.
Speaker 4: It's hard to find entertainment at that price these days.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially especially in a casino or something like that. You know, try going to downtown Vegas and find some way to entertain yourself for a better price.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or better yet don't yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, don't exact cause.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's but I'm not gonna necessarily recommend those.
Speaker 3: But certainly I think, as you mentioned, I think this is mostly from you, but also from a lot of my own observances. I have found how much poker has also helped me to understand life a lot better. And another think that it's poker's This is not you know, poker is the key to enlightenment. Meant by any means, it's that I think there are a lot of things in the world that that people really struggle with or that that and I think, especially like the writers and the characters of the stories we love often have trouble with around understanding probability and also understanding uncertainty chaos, if you want to call it that. That feels very relevant, and I think that's kind of what we're wanting to talk about today. And you know, I think this is a topic that can get a little self helpy, and we don't mean it like that, but I do think there's some elements of especially in this you know, probability and polls and statistics are becoming very important verations in our world today, and I know it's something that Paul and I have a lot of strong feelings about, and so that's certainly going to be an area of focus. But this isn't about, you know, trying to say you should live your lives the way we do. Don't definitely live your life the way I do, but just about like giving you some other ideas of how to think about these things, and particularly in terms of like the stories and the characters and also in our non world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I mean I would I would maybe say I do mean some things in a little bit of a self helpish sort of way, you know, just in terms of like I think the one of the biggest lessons. I don't know exactly where you want to start off, but like go for I think one of the biggest lessons, if not the biggest, is that you know you can't control everything through your actions. Right Like in poker and in life, it makes sense. It behooves you to try to make the best decisions you can right with the inform you have available at the time. You can't think about you should have made a different decision with some information you didn't possess or weren't able to acquire, and then the outcome, like, the better your decisions are on average, you'll get better outcomes. But there are also many things that are outside of your control. Right and poker, it's what cards you get dealt, what cards come out after your initial cards are dealt, how your opponents respond to your bets, what cards they get dealt, and these you can't control these things, and so there has to be an acceptance of I'm just going to try and make good decisions, take good actions given the information I have, and then the outcomes will be what they are. And if I keep making good decisions, the better my decisions are on average, the better my outcomes will be. But that doesn't mean a piano won't fall on my head, right, Like, I mean, you know, if you're walking in the forest, a piano probably won't fall on your head, but like a tree mte exactly that that might be more likely than a piano falling on your head anywhere than outside a piano throwing place, you know, I don't know, there's some game show where they like throw a piano off a conveyor belt or something, and like, if you're standing down there, you actually have a pretty high probability of having a piano land on your head. But so I would recommend like don't stand there, right, But I mean, overall, the main point just being like, you know, there's things you can control and there's things that you can't, and being able to figure out which of those are which and just do the best with the things you can control, and like that is kind of super self helpy, I think in some ways. But it's also just like it's also kind of obvious in a lot of ways, but it's not always obvious. What, right, the real ramifications of that are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a lot of what we're gonna be talking about is about that idea of what does it meant the Captain Picard line for Star Trek that's so often quoted of sometimes you can do all the right things and still fail, And that doesn't mean you did something wrong. It mean that's just called life. Nor does it mean that something unfair or something like that. As well as I think there's also a lot of thoughts that I have about why is it that we have so much trouble accepting again, whether you want to call it randomness or uncertainty or chaos or whatever it is. Let me back up though and talk about because I think we're diving into some of the concepts from poker, but that some people who don't know the game may not understand as much because certainly poker is at least I don't want to get that. There's a whole bunch of debate about whether poker is gambling or not. And poker is distinctly different than most other games at a casino in that you're not playing against the house, you're playing against other players. So like if I sit down a blackjack or craps, I can tell myself I have a very good system, but statistically I am never going to be the favorite, whereas in poker, like there's there's different degrees of that.
Speaker 4: Right, except in blackjack if you count cards and yadaya YadA.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, and there's ways to different systems, et cetera. Again, no one from any law enforcement agencies, of course, we don't do that.
Speaker 4: No, that's that's completely okay, Okay, we're just gonna have to blackjack. You're allowed to count cards in terms of the law, but casinos will ban you because they are allowed to. But it's not illegal. Counting cards in blackjack is not illegal. Using mechanical advice devices and stuff is. But that's a that's a huge like movie pet peeve of mind.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's but well, most of the time they don't show you getting arrested. They sure you're getting you kneecaps busted.
Speaker 4: But they also often just say it's illegal, you know, like they literally say that, and that's just factually inaccurate.
Speaker 3: So that's fair, okay. But back to the poker point of it. Though, you know, in a given hand you've got certain cards, but at any point, you know, you know, the last card come out and give someone else the better hand or something like that. How is it that you can actually like, if there is that much randomness is it in it? How is it that you can make money at it? Like you'd think that it would be random in terms of who winds up getting different money and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, because I mean, poker is a game that combines skill and chance, and most games do that to some extent or another. But you know, the literal turn of a card is is chance as just a pure randomness right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: But because there's certain constraints to that randomness. It's not like you're going to suddenly get you know, the eleven of purple horseshoes, like that's not You know what cards are in the deck to again with, right, So you know the constraints of the game, so you can understand how likely certain outcomes are and you can take actions that are going to be more advantageous based on what the possible outcomes are. Right. So it's like you don't know what the individual outcome is. But if you know what cards you have, you know what cards are left in the deck, right, you can know how likely you are to make a flush with one card to come. And if you're putting in, you know, one hundred dollars in order to win two hundred and there's one card to come, and you're trying to make a flush and that's the only way you can win the pot. That's not a good bet. But if you're putting in ten dollars to win one hundred, like, that's a very good bet.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's basically you can see you're getting odds, and you're just comparing what the odds are to you. The actual reality of the situation is much more complicated. But the other thing is that you know, we have this thing called no you want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to focus on that first part for a second, because I think that's one of the things that a lot of people don't understand, is that part of the point of poker, and this is I think part of a lot of things in life, is that you're not trying to think about any one instance that take a situation like what you just described, where I'm just going to make up the numbers to make it roughly easier. Stand, you have a one in five chance of winning, but if you win, you will get ten times your money.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, if you just sit down and do that four times, or even five times, or even ten times, you may well lose your money. Overall. Sure, but if you do that thousands of times, if you do that and you always do it the same way over the long run, assuming that the statistics are working. As the statistics are working, you know, the deck can fixed or someone isn't cheating. In the long run, you know, the one out of five times you get paid is going to make you more money than you lost the four times out of five that you lost, and so your profit is eventually going to come. And that that's what's different. Like, you know, to take the lottery, for example, you could buy an infinite number of lottery tickets and you still would wind up losing because the one time you hit the lottery it doesn't actually make up for all the other times you could. You could do it, and so that's and I think that's what you were kind of getting at before, about the like you do the small things all the time each time knowing that like that, this is about how you think about a repeatable, every day kind of a thing or you know, instead of just like the one decision you have to make once with with you know, without any repeatability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the repeatability is a is a big deal of it, right, I mean even if you're only doing one thing one time. There's still a concept of expected value, right, which is essentially the average expected outcome. Right. If you took out up all of the outcomes and assign them basically a likelihood of each outcome, and then you figure out the average of that, that's your expected value, and in one instance you know it's either probably going to be a win or a loss. And if you're only doing one thing one time, then you know your chances it kind of it doesn't function the same way, right, Like there's when you play enough volume, when you make a large volume of decisions with certain you know, with positive expected value, over the long run, the likelihood of having a negative overall outcome just goes down and down and down until it becomes vanishingly small. You can be very unlucky, which would be you know, having negative outcomes for a very long time, like a length of time that's shocking to most people. Right. But the longer the time, the less likely it is, provided that you know you're getting your money in good that you're you're making positive effective plays, right.
Speaker 3: And just to go a little bit deeper on this idea of probability and how this all works. You talked about how the length of time it might take for the numbers to sort of average out the way people would expect is a lot longer than people might think. Yeah, and so, for example, in that case of like, if you're expected to win one out of five times, it's actually statistically quite possible that you could do that five times, ten times, maybe even fifteen times, and lose every single time. One of the concepts that people playing poker or gambling or just talking about chance in general is the idea that dice have no memory. Right, talk a little bit about what that means in terms of like probability and expectation.
Speaker 4: Right, So there's and this is why you can beat blackjack incidentally in theory compared to a game like craps. But yeah, so there's the gambler's fallacy, right, which is I'm actually not even sure exactly which one it is, but basically, let's just go with a coin. Right. If we flip a coin one time and at lands heads, then you know, is it more likely to be heads on the second flip, or is it more likely to be tails or is it still fifty to fifty if we assume a fair coin. Well, it's still fifty to fifty, right, because the coin has no memory unless there's like something about the way you're flipping it, and actually there's something about like physics. It's not really fifty to fifty even with a fair cat. It's there's a whole thing apparently that's like recently been. But like if we assume just something's fifty to fifty, it happens once, then it's still fifty to fifty. You do it again, it's still gonna be fifty to fifty every time, right, And so that means, you know, the chances of heads heads is the same as tails. Tails is the same as heads. Tails is the same as tails heads, right, each one of those has has the same chance of being a sequence of events. Blackjack the reason it's a little different, and I'm not like saying like, oh, go out and learn to count cards and play blackjack. Casinos actually don't really mind people trying to count cards because most people are terrible at it, that's right. But so the thing in blackjack is the deck does have a memory unless it's continuous shuffle. Because they shuffle deck, you deal some cards, you deal a hand, and then those cards are dead. So now there's a new state of the deck, right, Like we're playing with a different deck, and I know Blackchick usually plays many decks, and there's there's a whole thing, and.
Speaker 3: More and more places are going to continue a shuffle for exactly this reason.
Speaker 4: Right, that's just an unbeatable game all of a sudden, right, And that's that to me seems like a more honest thing to do than to have a game that is beatable. But then when people are actually playing it, while you're like whoa, whoa, whoa, you know, you can't actually beat this game that we set up and allow you to be able to be profitable in. But most things, like in poker, you play one hand of poker and then you shuffle the deck, and the deck has no memory. It doesn't remember where the cards are as long as it's a fair shuffle, right and you know somebody's not putting, you know, an ace on the bottom and then dealing from the bottom or anything like that. The deck has no memory. So each you know, this is the concept of like independent events compared to the pendent events, and if each explain what those mean, right, So if each event is independent, it means that the outcome of the first event has no bearing, no influence on the outcome of the second event. Right, Like, if you roll two dice, you know there's a one in thirty six chance that you're gonna get snake eyes. Right, you're gonna get two ones, the same as the chances of two six is a three and a four is different, or it's rolling a seven is more likely, right, because there's more ways of doing that. But each roll of the dice is an independent event. Whereas, if I mean trying to think of a good example, there are things that are not as gambling related. But like let's say two people play a game and then you play a second game, you can view those as independent events. And if they're pure chance and everything's truly reset, they will be independent events. But let's say you and I play a game of chess and one of us wins, one of us loses, and then that affects the mental state of the two of us. Right, That can then make the second game not really an independent event because the first game, the outcome of it doesn't necessarily directly affect the second event. But we're human, right, and so our ability to play could be changed. Now largely I think games played after one another are considered kind of independent events, but they're probably not truly and if well, five in a row.
Speaker 3: In the card games that I like to play, like Magic the Gathering or Lorcana, yeah, often the first time you play, you don't know anything about your opponent's deck, right, So it might be that like, at that point you're starting at it. But if like, my deck has more answers to your deck, now that I know what your deck is doing, in my second game, I'm going to be more focused on Okay, I need the kind of cards that are particularly good. So that I think is a good example of where, yeah, the second the second outcome is very dependent on the first outcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. And in poker the same can happen, where the cards each hand dealt is an independent event in terms of how the cards come out. But as we play, if we're playing heads up, we're gradually learning one another's strategies, and that can affect our own strategies, right. We want to try and make exploits, we want to adjust to the other person's strategy, Who's then going to try and adjust to ours, and we're trying to counteradjust, and that makes hands not independent events in terms of the strategical approach give, assuming that we're actually adjusting to one another's play, but it does make them independent events in terms of the dealing of the cards.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I just want to throw in is why I think one of the most frustrating conversations to me and fandom is when two characters fight and then the two characters fight again and have a different outcome, yes, or when like character a character one defeats character two, right, character three defeats character one, and the character two defeats character three, when it's like every fight is not on like the number of variables that go into a fight, everything from just the energy level, the power level of the people, how they're feeling that day, how distracted they are, whether they're sick, what you know, does one of them fight better when there's a lot of like rubble around, or you know, do better when it's all clear ground, Like, there are so many variables that go into these kind of things, you know, And one of the most famous that gets talked about, or one of the ones that gets most infamously talked about, I think, is the fight in which in Phantom Menace sorry is the fight in the Force Awakens, the Force awakens, thank you, in which Ray defeats Kylo Ren, And people will often look at that and be like, well, but how could that happen because you know, Kyler Wren beat this other person all this kind of stuff, when it's like, well, he's grievously wounded already from something that happened earlier in the fight, Like, yeah, that's not a fight in a particular. I think this is true in Cobra Kai as well. Is not just you know, this person's the seven, this person is the six, so the seven will always defeat the six. There are so many random variables that are going to be different every time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, and within fighting, there's also the concept of matchups where you know, you can have three fighters with different styles, and it can be kind of a rock paper scissors scenario where yeah, one person has a big advantage on a second person, Like one person might have really long reach and another person's really fast, and then someone else is big and strong, and like, the person with long reach might actually be able to keep the fast person at bay, who can then get in quickly on the person who's big and slow, but like the person who's big and slow can maybe get past the person with long reach because like the whatever the person long reach is using, like doesn't actually stop the big person. Right, Like this is a super contrived example, but like the point is, like you can have kind of a rock paper scissors scenario where it's like, yes, player A has an advantage on player B, player B has an advantage on player C, and player C has an advantage on player A. Not to mention, like, if someone's a six and someone's a seven on a good day, the six is better than the seven because like, performance is not constant either, right, when somebody's rattled, when somebody just didn't get a good night's sleep, when when somebody's injured, there's all sorts of reas.
Speaker 3: Someone fought ten henchmen in order to get to the other.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly, there's all sorts of reasons that somebody would be performing at a lower level than than their peak, right and as a result, like you know, like a two probably isn't going to beat an eight, you know, but like a five can beat like a seven on a good day. On the five's good day and the seven's bad day. Yeah, sure, you know, so One of.
Speaker 3: Other things that comes up a lot in these conversations is results oriented thinking, and I think that's something that we see all the time and the kind of stories we're talking about. Can you define that term and what it means both in poker and in larger things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, results oriented thing, Like the purpose of trying to make good decisions is by and large to get good results, right, Like, right, that's a goal, is a result, that's or it's a hope, it's a it's a desired outcome. But the problem arises when we choose a strategy that we thought was good, We apply the strategy, and then, because of chance, the strategy doesn't succeed, don't We don't get the desired outcome, right, And then there's a mental decision, Oh, well that wasn't the result I wanted, so that must have been the wrong strategy. Like as if you know, you put in ten dollars to one hundred dollars with a flush draw and you didn't get there. You said, oh, that was that was bad. I did the wrong thing. You know. It's like, no, you've got a very likely bad outcome after making a good decision, and that's super common and it's you know, the good decisions are not always going to get you good results. Like in poker, you can play well and get bad results. You can play poorly and get good results in the shorter term, right in the longer term. For looking at you know, poker over like a month, two months, six months, a year, five years, you know, a long run, tens hundreds of thousands of hands, millions of hands. Even if your results are bad, you're doing something wrong almost certainly right over a longer and the longer period of time and the worse the results, the more likely it is that you've got an issue in your strategy. And for what it's worth, basically everybody can always be improving their strategies like poker, in most games like outside of like Tic tac toe, usually there's more you can learn, right and you know, fighting, so you know, results oriented thinking is basically reasoning backwards from well, this was the result. Therefore there was something wrong with the strategy, you know, and sometimes there is something wrong with the strategy, but it was still the right decision because you didn't have the information right, Like you're trying to make a bluff and it's a totally reasonable spot to make a bluff given what you know. But then your opponent calls you with some hand that seems super ridiculous, and you realize, oh, this person just doesn't know how to throw away a hand. They're never folding if they called me with this hand right right. Therefore, in the future, I'm going to adjust my strategy. But that's not because it didn't work. It's because I've acquired new information and the information wasn't this didn't work, It was this person made some ridiculous call down that now I want to adjust my strategy. There are other hands they could have called with that we'd go, oh, okay, they're supposed to call with that. That doesn't mean this was a bad strategy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And how does that apply outside of poker or games? Right?
Speaker 4: So, I mean outside of games. It's like if you you get a like, say you're buying a car and you're like, I'm going to buy a super reliable car, right, and you do all everything right along those lines, and you get a car that's supposed to be super reliable. You get it from, you know, a trustworthy dealer. I'm certainly no expert in this, but you know I've bought one car and it's it's done okay so far. It's a Corolla, you know, and like that I heard from somebody that this was a reasonable car to buy, and like, if it had crapped out on the first day, that doesn't necessarily mean I made a bad decision, right, Like it maybe just is super unlucky.
Speaker 3: And because you just kind of connect the dots here, all that research you're doing is helping it be that, like you have an eighty or an eighty five percent chance or maybe even a ninety or ninety five percent chance to get something that's not going to break down, rather than like the fifty chance or the twenty percent chance, depending on like how reliable the person you were buying it from.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly exactly, Like there's with most things in life, there's some chance that there will be some information you're unaware of and perhaps did not have a way of acquiring that information. Now, if you did have a way of that acquiring that information, then you can't really use the you know, the explanation, Oh well I didn't have that information. It's like, well you should have, right, And then you learn that and you're like, Okay, in the future, make sure that I check this out, but like you can check all the boxes and then it's just like you're you're just trying to maximize your probabilities, right, like the odds of a good outcome, and sometimes you don't get the good outcome anyway, and sometimes like you do something bad. This is actually a big one. Is like somebody makes a bad decision and then nothing bad happens, and so then that reinforces the oh, yeah, I can keep making this bad decision. You know. It's like somebody drinks a lot and then they go drive and they're like, oh, I got home fine, you know, yeah, And that's I think a big danger with things that have a small chance of going horribly awry right right where you can everything can be fine time and time and time again. But then like the one time if you you know, if you do that one time, and say you have a one percent, five percent, ten percent chance of something going of getting in a wreck right and possibly dying or killing someone, but like the chances of that worst outcome are probably fairly small. But like, if you do that one time, I'm not saying that's fine, but the chances of getting away with it and being okay are much better than if you do it ten times or one hundred times, or if you do it every night for a year, Like, if it's a one percent chance, there's a really good chance. Now over three hundred and sixty five instances, you're gonna have a terrible.
Speaker 3: Outcome, right, And kind of like that's the thing. Also where this this thinking, I'm gonna back up a second to kind of make a point here. But the here, I think is how applying to your life becomes the most important. We often talk in poker about having a bank roll, right where in that situation, like I said, where you're gonna win one in five times. Okay, So let's say it's a one hundred dollar bet. If I have one hundred dollars, well, I only I don't have enough to bet enough times that the money is gonna work out for me. And someone might say, okay, well if you have five hundred dollars, then you're okay. Even then, because like I said, the law of averages takes a while to catch up. You actually have to have you know, enough of that bank roll so that eventually the you know, the numbers will catch up with you. The idea of okay, well you know, I'm gonna spend my life savings on one particular bet, even if it's a like I have a you know, seventy percent chance to win. Okay, you may well wind up with a very good situation, or you may wind up you know, completely and utterly screwed, where the negative result is so big as to say, like, is it worthwhile a bet? And I think that's the kind of thing there where to me, it's not just that the the one percent is going to add up, but it's the if I have this very small chance to do something truly and utterly horrible that will end my life and someone else's life, you know, something like that. Then then again that that kind of the thinking of like, well, sure, it's not that it's the one chance. It's that even if the small chance, the damage of that small chance happening is enough to say the whole thing isn't worth it or whatever, in the same way of saying, like, is the chance of it happening make everything worth it?
Speaker 4: Right? For sure, one would say that you're under rolled for you know, such reckless actions, because your role is like one one life.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a really good example because there's something called the Keli Craian, which is a way of basically calculating the largest rational wager you can make given a certain chance of winning in certain standard deviation, and YadA, YadA, YadA. It gets pretty mathy. It's actually pretty simple, but we won't dig into the math. But the point is there's like there's ways of when it comes to purely dollars, right, purely money, of calculating like what is actually a rational amount of your bankroll to wager? But then there's also real life considerations right where you know, there's some game shows where you can essentially, you know, wager. I think like, let's make a deal. I was like, anybody want to make a deal. Who thinks they're smarter than Let's make it enough, let's make a deal. And like some other shows where you can you basically you can calculate, like you know how much money is left out there, and you know your odds of each outcome, right, and if one of you know, there's a million dollars and a one dollar there and somebody offers you four hundred thousand dollars, you can look at it and be like, oh, well, but my expected value is half a million and fifty cents, right, So like, of course that's a plus EV gamble, Like I get an extra one hundred thousand dollars, right compared to just getting four hundred k. But like if you look at it, and let's ignore tax implications and whatever for the moment, but like if you look at it just in terms of life ev basically it's like, well, depending on where you are in your life, Like, what is the difference between is the difference between four hundred thousand and five hundred thousand really twenty five percent of the difference between zero and four hundred thousand, And for a lot of people that's going to be No, it's like, well, with four hundred thousand, I can buy a house, you know, yeah, I can pay off my house, or I can send like I don't know these days, what is it like two kids to college or one maybe maybe one and a half. You know, one goes to community college, one goes to a four year But like, you know, zero to four hundred thousand for many slash most people is gonna be life changing. That extra hundred thousand. There's a diminishing utility, right right, And and so maybe it is rational to say you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna take this buy out. As a professional gambler. On some level, I find it appalling, but then I'm like, no, it makes sense, right, it's fair. Whereas if they're like, well, I'll take one hundred thousand instead of I'm like, look, you're gonna pass up four hundred thousand dollars in ev but it's like maybe that first hundred thousand is way more important than the next four hundred and and so, you know, in poker, there is this like desire to like lock up the win because there's this like dopamine here. There's like this like emotional boost from from having a winning session. There's like, you know, there's a oh, I don't want to bet too big on the river, Like you have a good hand, you're trying to bet, and you want to get called. But it's like the desire, the want to get called is a very emotional desire, right, the rational desires. I want to maximize the expectation of this hand, and sometimes that's going to be a much larger bet that's actually much less likely to get called, but still on average is going to net you a lot more money, right, And you know, these are the kind of things that can they can make more sense outside of the game than in the game. And sometimes you have to ask yourself, like within poker, it's like, well, why am I playing? Is my goal to make a lot of money over the long run? If so, I've got to go for the MAXIV option like every time, right yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's, for example, part of why I would call myself the poker hobbyist, because that wasn't always my goal, right no. And so for example, like for me, like takehow the situation where I have a one in ten chance to hit, but if I hit, I'm going to get twenty to one mm hmm. Or even even let's say I have a one and change one in ten chance to hit and I'm going to get nine to one. If my goal is to have enough money to keep doing that every single time, that's a crazy thing to do. I should never do that if my goal is to have a really fun time at the poker table. Actually now, because now it's not just the evy of the cash, it's the huge dopamine hit that happens when I do win that card, particularly if I'm playing against Paul, and Paul goes, how can you play that against me? Which is priceless as a dopamine hit, but also just like, honestly that the three seconds of anticipation as I'm waiting for the last are phenomenal. And I was gonna say it's kind of like a drug, and it actually is, which is exactly why gambling can become an addiction. And so again be very careful, like any kind of thrill seeking behavior can become an addiction. It's a kind of a form of dopamine addiction. Basically, maybe I don't know the neudro chemistry exactly, but like, so always be careful about that. But I think that that's another thing where you can say, like, hey, is it worthwhile to do this? You know? And for myself, I didn't always do this when I was young and stupid, but now I will always look at my budget and go, Okay, can I pay three hundred dollars for a night of like high quality entertainment When I pay three hundred dollars to go to the theater tonight and go have a nice dinner, Yes, my budget can afford that. So I'm willing to take the three hundred dollars to the casino, possibly lose it all or get those really fun dopamine hits. But when it becomes well, I'm playing with my rent money, or even worse, I'm playing with someone else's rent money or someone else's you know whatever money.
Speaker 4: Or with cash advance off a credit card or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And here's where again I'll pull it back. One of my frustrations with a lot of superhero movies is I feel like a lot of times they gamble with other people's money or quite literally with other people's lives. Yeah, you know, and one of the conceited Like think about the ending of Avengers one where I think the rational ev move is to nuke the city, and and and if you assume that the nuking of the city will end the invasion, maybe it won't. But but if that's the best information, you have the chance that the Avengers will do it, even if it's like a sixty sixty or seventy percent chance, the chance that they won't is that the world is now conquered. You don't have a bankroll for that, you're under rolled. So like I'm not saying that therefore, like they should have nuked it or kept Nick Fury was wrong. But I think that's a level of thinking that I think we don't do in our own lives enough, and that people in because I mean, watching a person do the exact same thing ten times, fail nine times and succeed in the tenth does not make for good TV, to not make for a good movie. And so of course they have to do that. But that's why I think it's so important to understand that kind of thinking of Yeah, actually, sometimes the rational thing to do is the you know, the is not to take the big risk, because you got to think about like, what what is the what's the fallout of the big risk you're taking not playing out? And particularly and here I think is the biggest conceit of superhero movies a lot. If the reason that you think it is not a big risk is because it's you and you know you can do it, that's a problem.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, yeah, it can be a problem. Yes, yeah, I'll give you it can be a problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are people who know they are that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say the number of people who think that they are a.
Speaker 4: Good dramatically outweighs the number of people who actually who think they are Yes, who actually are yes exactly. Yeah, yeah, so there's a lot there. One in terms of nuking the city, Why couldn't they just nuked through the wormhole or whatever? Wouldn't wouldn't that be the actual rational? Like wait a minute, wait a minute, why don't we do what Tony did?
Speaker 3: I feel like if there's any birth to this podcast other than the fact the the like team Tony verus team captivating that you've been having here for literal decades now. It's the number of times a character in a movie has had a choice and you and I have been like, wait, but what about the third option?
Speaker 4: What about the third way? Like why not that I was forced to do this? It's like there were other options there if you do just give it them all, you know, But you know, and then that brings up the well people are acting under pressure, and you know when when we're looking at poker decisions, like we also have to understand like, you know, I can sit down and analyze a hand for literally hours, but let's say you know, a tight fifteen minutes, and it's like you don't have that at the poker table, right, You're you're making a lot of decisions quicker. But the thing that you said that I most wanted to respond to was kind of about you know, I think it's super important if you play poker, if you do any kind of gambling that's less skill based, right, anything that involves wagering. But I mean, really this is you can expand this to be true for like pretty much anything in life, but especially things that have a substantial you know, sort of cost, you know, risk reward, you know, cost benefit analysis is like, just have a good idea of why you're doing what you're doing. You know, are you going to the casino to play poker because you want to like play a poker for a living. You know, if so, you need a bankroll, you need a certain amount of money that is really just poker related, and you know, you have to do a lot of math to basically understand like, well, what's my expected win rate? Like what should what should I think? It is, like, what are the chances that I'm gonna go bust over this period of time if I play these steaks? Should I play these stakes? YadA, YadA YadA. Right, Whereas if you're playing either purely recreationally or you know, the kind of semi pro kind of like well, I would like to make money from this game, but I'm not. You know, if I lose the money I have allotted to it, that's not a big deal because I have, you know, another income. Then you know, then you need a budget. I think, you know, even that sort of semipro, I think it's not really a bankroll. It's a budget, you know. And you can say, Okay, I'm gonna play two five because I think that's the best game for me, and I have a thousand dollars budget a month. Like that's a large budget, you know for something that is entertainment. But if you're like, well, but it's going to be profitable entertainment, and on any given month, I might lose, but like, in the long run, I think I'm actually gonna have more money and worst case scenario, I have a good time. But to like have that budget and be like, yeah, when when the money's gone, it's time to go home, you know, it's that's it, the game's over. And you know, having like, Okay, my budget this weekend is three hundred dollars, then you choose the game accordingly, you know, and and if you're comfortable with like, yeah, I can get it in on a long shot, and if it hits, I'm going to be super excited, and if it doesn't, that's okay, and you know, then I'm just going to go do something else that's cool. Like you know that that's the fact that people enjoy doing That is one of the reasons that people can make a living playing poker, because there are people who are playing just for enjoyment and are fine with the fact that it's like, yeah, you know, they're they want to try to be a favorite mostly, right, Like most people playing poker are trying to win, right, but like are okay with not like maximizing every spot and maybe making some calls that just seem fun. And as long as you know, you have a concept of like, okay, what's the cost of this if I you know, if if I lose, it's like, well, the cost is literally the money, and then however you're going to feel afterwards, right, and then there's the upside and that's the money and however you're going to feel afterwards. And if those things balance out to you, then cool, do it, you know, And if they don't, then don't And if you have an issue with it, you know, if you're developing an addiction and then you know, seek help for real.
Speaker 3: You know, definitely, this is a topic I think we're going to come back to a bunch of times. I want to transition us into cognitive dissonance because that's kind of I think one of the biggest ones for me in terms of this, and give a definition of that term, because then there's a couple of specific ones I want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Right, So this isn't a definite dictionary definition, but basically, cognitive dissonance is like the ability to hold to contradictory thoughts in your mind at the same time and essentially think that they're both true even though they're not right, that like, they can't be right. And this is I'm trying to think of a good poker example. I feel like you had something in mind, so why don't.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, I mean, I think the poker example, but I think a life example that come off with me true is you know, for example, depending on your state of mind, you might be more likely to remember success or more likely to remember failure. And so it might be that you know, I take that one in five chance fifty times, but because a lot of times, you know, seven of those times, ten of those times it doesn't work out. What I remember it does actually work out from time to time, but I mostly I just remember all the times it didn't work right, or on the flip side, like, actually it didn't work all those times. But I tell the thing is, when I go to Vegas, I don't tell the story of when it didn't work out. I tell the story of when it did. And I remember when it did. And so part of one of to me, the thing that I'm getting at here is that one of the things I think that we find hardest to understand about probability, and it's particularly around like randomness and chance. The human brain is very very good at finding patterns. That's an essential part of the evolution. You know, we were able to understand like, okay, as it gets hotter, like these things happen to the plants around us, these things happen to the animals around us, these things happen to the water around us, and like, you know, like thousands and thousands, tens of thousands of years ago before we started having like what we understand is quote unquote civilization. You know, humans and our you know, nearest ancestors were able to discern patterns about the world around them and be able to learn things from them. The problem is that our brains are sometimes are so good at finding patterns that we absolutely hate the idea that things don't have patterns, So we look for patterns. So we look for Oh I always win, or even more often, I always lose. We look for, you know, and this is where it comes into other parts of life.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, it's always when like I go up against this other kind of person that I lose, or this other kind of person always seems to be the one who gets hired for the job instead of me, or you know this, this other kind of person always seems to be the one that the professor, you know, gives a good grade to, or whatever it is. This is a whole other range of things we can talk about. But I kind of what started there about the idea of like the human brains desire to find patterns even when they're not there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. So first of all, I think I completely butchered the definition of cognitive dissonance. But I think I think we're talking more about confirmation bias here, And yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess I thought of confirmation bias as a kind of cognitive dissonance, but we can get away from the exact terms.
Speaker 4: So sure, But like the idea being that.
Speaker 3: There's some.
Speaker 4: Random selection of data, right, right, and we look at these random, truly random occurrences and seek to find a pattern, right because the brain wants a pattern, and because when you can find a pattern, when there really is a pattern and you can discover it, that can be extraordinarily powerful. Right. For instance, if we're playing poker, to bring it directly to poker, and you make this tiny bet at the end and I call you and you have a very marginal hand, right, I'm like, okay. Then you do it again and I call you in a very marginal hand. Then you make a big bet and I call you and you have a big hand, And this happens enough times. You know, we could say that I found a pattern that you know, you bet small with small hands and big with big hands, and that's super useful when you're playing poker. For this is called a bet sizing towel, right. I mean, similarly, you know you could have a big hand and be like, hmm, want the cookie. I brought props for people.
Speaker 3: No one's watching it, between nobody's watching it. So this is not on video. Paul just did the thing with an oreo cookie that John Malkovich does in the movie Rounders.
Speaker 4: So you know, having an actual physical tell right, that's a pattern that somebody does something physical and that corresponds to them having a certain type of hand, And that's very useful. However, if you're like, oh, two sevens came out, like on three different flops today, sevens are hot, Like there's totally a pattern. Every fifth hand we get two sevens on the flop. Now I'm gonna play do seven off suit because like I'm probably gonna make three sevens because there's a pattern. Right, It's like, no, those were random events. Those were independent events probably, you know, unless someone's cheating, unless something's rigged, which I think we always have to acknowledge our uncertainty about, like there are certain conditions that could be different from what we're expecting, but generally are very unlikely, and so those patterns. Patterns can be super valuable if they're real and you observe them and then you adjust accordingly, but super dangerous when you know, if you're thinking, oh, maybe sevens are hot and then they come out again, it's like, oh, that's it. It's definitely that's the thing, right, And that's where confirmation bias comes in, because it's like, every time it happens, the brain's like, ah, yes, I found a pattern. Good brain, good brain, you know, And every time it doesn't happen, it's just you know, yeah, it just kind of floats through, unobserved, unremarked upon. And and so there's this fixation on, you know, the data that confirms our assumptions. And that's something that's very real throughout all sorts of you know, aspects of life, but you know, in poker specifically, like it's and and all sorts of life, Like it's really important to observe, right, And once you're once we're aware of our own biases, it's easier to then kind of counteradjust for them, right, be like, Okay, I tend to think somebody always has the goods when they bet, and so now I'm going to be like, okay, I have this feeling of fear. Now I have to be like, okay, but that's my bias speaking. Now, let my rational mind come in and analyze the data that's like real, and maybe I'll still come to a conclusion. I think they have a strong hand, but maybe I won't and maybe I'll go You know what, I'm really not so sure about this. This is my bias coming into play, and I mean in other areas of life, I think it's more important right to be able to be like, no, you know what, I have a bias against people with this or that, you know, aspect or whatever, Like I have a bias against frat boys, and like, you know, like I'm friends with people who went to frats, like not a lot, but like some, and like I don't on a deeper intellectual level, like I have huge like I think legitimate complaints about the whole fraternity institution, right, but like in terms of just individual people, like I know, if I see someone I think they're like frat related, like I'm going to have an immediate kind of negative reaction that then I have to actually override and be like, Okay, this is just a person. Like let's just approach them as a person, knowing that this one thing about them is true. But that doesn't define who they are, you know, and you know, other people have some other biases that are maybe more pernicious.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the next thing I'll talk about, because I think it becomes super important to remember to find your own biases and where are you like taking note of the information that fits your bias, but ignoring the information that doesn't. But also what's the bias of the information that you're perceiving. Sure, if you grew up at the time I did, and you watch the news in the eighties, a lot of biases that people drew were that gay men in the eighties were all having crazy sex orgies with each other all the time. That's because HIV AIDS was a huge problem and there were gay al bath houses and things like that. Although a lot of people were very safe in those bath houses, a lot of people were not. But the point being that if you didn't know someone who is gay, the media stories about HIV spreading through anonymous gay sex was probably the main thing you heard about gay men. And so that's the bias you were fed in the same way. You know, when all of your depictions of Mexicans on TV and movies are as drug dealers or as other kinds, like, that's the bias that you're being told. And this, I think becomes really important as we analyze the movies we look at because you're right, you know, and I also think it's it's I also have some philosophical problems with a lot of things about fraternity systems. But I also know that the stories that I hear about hazing at fraternities are the most extreme examples, and that most fraternities probably have much milder hazing that no one ever tells me about because it's not newsworthy. You know, and I have the same bias that you do. And I think that's another point that becomes so important, is being able to remember, like, and I think this is so true, Like a lot of the stories I think we see are often about you know, people from like warning planets or warning nations or you know, warring groups or whatever, who have these biases about each other, and they can they actually see the evidence of things that are not fitting the bias. And often the heroes the ones who can, and the villains are the ones who can't. And it's not that clear cut. And I think a lot of times we're critical of heroes because they can't, or we're critical of writers because they can't. Yeah, but I think that's where it becomes really important. Thing is like how can you how can you break out of that confirmation bias to see the information that's in.
Speaker 4: Front of you. Yeah, for sure. You know. It's like if if you are fed one of these biases or acquire one through some other means, and then you know, you meet five people and one of them matches the description, Like, it's so much easier to have the one that confirms that bias just be the one that like comes to mind, you know, and and to kind of just be like, oh, but those other four were exceptions, like you know, and I mean, I'm actually reminded of the D and D movie, which I won't say too much about, but like, you know, there wasn't a ton about biases, but you know there was. There's at least one or two things, and you know, at least two of the heroes is like about, you know, they have certain biases against certain other heroes, and then they're like, I think one of the things that makes them heroes is that they do overcome those and they're like, you know, let's actually judge this person on their actions, not on what I know about people from this place or of this species or whatever right or race. And in Dungeons and Dragons terms, you know, which is different from from earth races.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. Let's talk then about what I think is often the correlaior to this, the concept of blame. Mm hmm. I think about this very much because of the current state the United States is in right now and a lot of the world is in. One of the things that is very linked to finding patterns is finding cause. And you know, I haven't studied neuroscience at an an academic level. What I haven't read a lot about it and observed a lot about it. And the thing that I've learned from so many others who have studied it is that there is the idea that something, you know, the idea, you know, the kind of old joke of like happens that's incredibly hard for our brains to conceive of. Our brains really don't like that and want to come up with something. What has poker kind of taught you or what do you think the kind of the ideas of poker can translate to this, the idea that, like, when bad things happen to us or people we know, we want to find someone to blame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, I mean, I think it's a huge issue in life, you know. But to go specifically with the poker of it, I think losing a big hand, you know, making a bluff that gets called betting large for value and then the opponent folds, like there's there's this like, well, what did I do wrong? Why didn't this bluff work? You know, it's not supposed to work all the time, Like why didn't my value back get called? It's not supposed to get called all the time? You know, how come I made a call and then they turned over a better hand? Should I have called this orhoul? I folded? Like you're supposed to call and lose sometime. This is how the game is structured. Right. You're not supposed to only make perfect decisions. The only way to do that is you can literally see your opponent's cards, which you know is cheating, so don't do that. And you know you're you're supposed to be wrong some of the time in terms of getting the desired outcome. And that's that's different even from just chance, right, in terms of a card to come. That's like, we don't know our opponent's cards, We have uncertainty about the situation, and we made the best decision we could with the information we had available at the time. Right, poker is a game that relies on each person has their own private, hidden, secret information, and then there's public information. And we need to combine the things that we know that are factual about the you know, the cards that are out, what the action sequences, who bet, who raised, stuff like that, and we need to combine that with you know, thinking about well what could they have what would they have played this way? And then we just do the best we can. And I think a lot of times people do give their best effort, they make reasonable decisions, and things don't work out, and there's a well what did I do wrong? Like did I did I deserve this? Or oh, well this didn't work out. It's totally unfair.
Speaker 3: It's not my fault, right right, the dealer must have cheated, like.
Speaker 4: Right, or like just it's injustice, like a flush straws shouldn't have got there. I had the best hand, I should have won. It's like no, it's supposed to get there. Sometimes sometimes even two flowishes are supposed to hit against you in consecutive hands. You know, that's a thing. And so I think this idea of either there's the two extremes of wanting to take ultimate responsibility for every outcome, which is unhealthy. That's where results oriented thinking really right and never taking responsibility for any outcome and being like, well, I always play everything perfect and the world's just out to get me, you know. In the truth of you know, the best approach is it's hard, right. It's like, we need to take responsibility for our decisions and our actions while also understanding that they were made without perfect information about the world, and with the understanding that there's going to be some element of chance, and good decisions aren't automatically going to result in good outcomes, and bad decisions don't automatically result in bad outcomes, and just like trying to evaluate our decisions on their merits and based on what we knew at the time, and then as we acquire new information then being like, Okay, I'm going to use that to inform my future decisions without beating myself up about my past ones, but while also being realistic about, oh, did I have some information I was overlooking? Was I focusing on the wrong information? Maybe right? You know? And that Ah, that just makes poker a very difficult game to learn because you don't get pure feedback on like, oh you did good. It worked, you did bad, it didn't work. And I think life's a lot like that too, right, There's so many things you can give a great effort and it just doesn't work out, and vice versa.
Speaker 3: There's two things I want to say here. One just on the limited information in poker. You do not have to get to the showdown where there's no more betting and everyone starts to show their cards. And I think everyone's used to the kind of movie idea that everyone shows their cards. The reality is in poker a lot of times, especially at casinos or the kind of higher level things, once someone shows a winning hand, other people will throw away their cards and never show them.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So someone might say every time I see their cards, they beat me, right, because yes, they only show you like you only gain an information in the situation, and so that's the bias. But the larger thing I want to get there is because to me that.
Speaker 4: I think is that that's a really good point. Though I want to underscore thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's again about like thinking about when are you getting information and when you're not.
Speaker 4: And you're getting information the other time, you know they had a worse haand than you had, or then whoever won whatever won, but it's hard to record that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to put that in your mind. Is one of the times you saw their cards.
Speaker 4: Exactly, saw that you knew something about their hands exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the other part of it is because to me, I think this is the thing that I think most applies to our own lives, to our own society, and to the questions that so many of these movies that and TV shows that we love bring up, which is that, like all that we were getting at is we want to find a reason why things happened, right. And like one of the things that I remember when I was I h one of the times where I'm sort of like, I wasn't like paying all my bills. I was getting like scholarship money and stuff, but I was paying my like, you know, day to day money by playing poker when I was in grad school, when I was in seminary, and I was a nice read do my homework at the table, and so people, you know, you're mostly playing a lot of the same people if you're going three days a week. People learned that I was a seminarian and right now that's would come over and be like, hey, can I talk to you for a second, by you cup coffee or something, and chat a bit, and they would start telling me about like their experience of God or their religious ideas, and I was like, okay, sure, you don't have to tell me this. What it would get at, though, is that they were having a lot of what they understood is bad luck. And they would one person literally said this, and other people said it in some other phrase, but they said, why does God hate me? Why doesn't God ever let me get the winning cards? Why does God always make the other guy win? Right to me? And this is also about psychology as much as anything else. One of the ways in which I think this can happen is we'll start to blame ourselves and we'll start to think either a that like some supreme power is mad at me, or just be like, oh, I'm so terrible. This I often see a lot of times in like I'm in a lot of like polyamorous websites and discussion groups, and a lot of times guys will post about like, oh I must be so terrible. No girl likes me. You know, I keep sending these messages and I never get responses. And the fact is, like sending a anonymous message to someone or like you know with your name but like you never had contact with them. The ev on that is just about zero, because it might be that like you could write the three most romantic paragraphs of dating site instant message, but if that person has already gotten eight dick pics and four things, they may just delete your message, or maybe you never see it. Like there's so many other factors. But where I'm getting to with all this is I think that this feeling, I think is one of the most dangerous things of not understanding probability, because either a can really turn to a place of self hate and like, ohthough the whole world hates me and I'm so depressed, and then it becomes like you know, recurring cycle and like you know, you can kind of make your own truth. But once you're in that place, you are now incredibly vulnerable to someone else coming along and saying, no, no, I'm so sorry you feel this way. It's not your fault, it's their fault. And the different racial group where this you know it's because women are so terrible, or because blacks are so terrible, or because you know, you know, the deep state has done all these things or you know, any of these things. And if you note like this is so often the villagion, the villain origin story is bad things happen to them and then either their own confirmation bias or someone else like giving them confirmation bias, you know, tells the bias. Yeah, yeah, don't. This isn't your fault. This is all the fault of the Jedi. This is all the fault of the Avengers, you know, this is all the fault of well generally it is always the fault of Tony Stark, So that's not really a confirmation. But yeah, either, Yeah, I think I think that's to me, that's almost the most important thing I want people to get out of this is thinking about in those terms, because I think that's where, honestly, so many of the problems we have in our society come from. Is bad things happen to people, and sometimes it is just random. Sometimes it is like like you know, I do think often big business and like the current economic structure and the patriarchy and things like that are much more to blame. But like blaming the patriarchy versus blaming like six individual people, patriarchy is such a large amorphous like what the hell do we mean by that? What do you mean by big business? What do we mean by you know, the force. It's much easier to have a specific group you can look at and point to and that you can hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In in the poker game of life, the patriarchy is the fucking rake reframing worms iconic but not you know, and.
Speaker 3: I was given the misogyny of the original statement. That is actually the perfect way of flipping that up.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you. That was that was quite celiberate, which was actually the real life Kinish is the one who actually said that, Joel Bagels. But yeah, it's I mean it's hard because I do think people want things to happen for a reason, and I think a lot of things don't happen for a reason. You know, all of those organizational things like legit are the rake like right, because like the rake which for the for those who aren't versed, the house runs the game, right. They ensure or hopefully ensure a fair game where everybody gets two random cards or however many random cards, and the cards come out fair and everything's you know, all the betting takes place in according to the rules, and then they just take some of the money. I have some random other phone going off. I apologize for that. I don't know where it is either, I can't hear it, so no wordy about it. Good I found it. I'm turning it off. Okay. So basically, the house takes a little bit off the top, you know, and they never lose. I mean, they might actually lose money overall because they have to pay the dealers and they have to keep the lights on. Yah yah yahah blah blah blah. They don't make a ton of money off poker. They would just put in a bunch of slot machines a lot of places they do. But the point is is the house just takes money out of the game and then the players are left fighting for what's left. Right. I think this is like a kind of good good metaphor for like the vulture class and all this kind of whatever, and you know, and some people are gonna profit, but the average person is gonna lose. Like actually most people lose in a game with Rake because a lot of money just comes out of the game, right, Like it's it's people talk about poker being a zero sum game where somebody wins, somebody loses, somebody loses, somebody else has to win. But it's actually negative some once you account for the rake, unless you think of the house as a player. So you know, that's that's a tough situation where you basically have a bunch of people fighting against each other in a in a spot where everybody on average, if they're equally pitted or expected to lose. Actually right, right, But I think I think in life and and with poker, like really it's just you do want to hold yourself responsible for your own decisions, right, your decisions, your actions, that those are things you can control. And within poker, you know, as long as you're acting within the rules, it's like that's fine. You're you're supposed to be trying to beat the other players out of money, right, But in life, you know, maybe we actually can play a positive some game, you know, that's that's a thing. And but a lot of things just happen, you know. And I mean, I'm not gonna challenge people's metaphysical beliefs necessarily, like you can, you can see it however you want, but I'll share mine, which are basically things the world is how it is. People do what they do, you know, animals do what they do comments follow their trajectory. Like things happen, and most individuals are not in control of a very large number of things that happen to them. And right, we don't get to choose our starting spot in the world, you know, we only can decide how we proceed within the context that we exist. And dealing with things that happen that are completely out of our control is I mean, at times overwhelming, you know for me, Like the hardest thing is like people getting sick and dying, Like I don't like it, you know, Like I don't think a lot of people are like, oh yeah, no, that's cool, you know, but I do think people often try and come up with way of finding like a reason or like.
Speaker 3: God called them home or right time, or it was justice, you know, they shouldn't have lived anymore, you know, either.
Speaker 4: Way, And that I would say, never really resonated with me, you know, as someone who's whose father died at the age of forty one when I was eight, Like I you know, I find that point of view appalling from my point of view. You know, if that's your point of view, that's your point of view. I'm not telling you you should think it's wrong. I'm just telling you, you know how I feel, and that you know, if you really think about like everything in the world, it is kind of like, really, this this is all exactly how it's supposed to be, like, you know, but it's it's how it is. This is how it is. And then what's left to us is to decide how do we want to respond to how the world is? You know, Can we make some changes? Can we work with other people to try and create a more positive sum game, you know, outside of the poker table, and even I mean poker you know, from a financial standpoint, is a negative some game when it's raked, right, or a zero sum game if it's unraked. That doesn't mean it can't be a positive some game from a life ev standpoint, right, Yeah, Like, as you alluded to earlier stated out right, like the money changing hands is not the entirety of the game, right. There is the intellectual challenge, there's the social aspect, which I think is primary for a great number of people, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, even you who plays poker professionally. Yeah, tomorrow night, you and I are going to engage in an online game with a lot of our friends who haven't seen in a while who we like talking with. I'm almost positive that you're probably want to well, you are far and away the best poker player at that table. I would also imagine, though, just given the small amount of hands that will happen, the amount of extreme randomness from some of the crazy place people play, but also just the stakes, you would have a higher monetary ev spending that time playing poker that you normally do. Absolutely, so, yeah, yeah, and it's yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm playing for fun because it's a lot of fun to sit around with friends and play a game I love like. And in that context, actually the poker is much is less fun for me than the poker that I play more seriously, but the experience is more fun because the conversation, right and catching up with people that I haven't talked to in a long time, and and so you know, for people their Thursday night poker game or or just going to the casino. Honestly, my two favorite places I ever played poker, aside from like home games or something, you know, and maybe there's a third one that's kind of tied, but like the Mayfair Club in New York, which was it was the same people all the time, you know, and I was like twenty one, twenty two, and like, you know, hanging out with people of all ages, I mean, almost all older than me, but like of all walks of life, and it was just super fun, like having this place to go and like feeling this sense of like kind of belonging and just it was it was a nice community for the most part, you know, and then more recently greaton casino in northern California and in Roonert Park north of you know, in the Bay Area, and I knew everybody there. You know. I would go in and be like, oh, hey, how's it going. You know, how's the one three? Oh it's a good game. Okay, yeah, I'll hop in that. Oh the two five is really good. Oh okay, I'll play that one, you know. And it's like people who I knew knew that I was like there to make money, like that's that was my primary goal in going there, but it was like it was also always a social experience as well, and hanging out with people I knew, and the combination of those things, especially for a lot of online poker players where the pace of live poker where you're playing in person is so slow, like you'll get maybe thirty thirty five hands an hour, whereas online I can get three hundred, three hundred and fifty you can play over a thousand hands an hour. The interacting with people, you know, it's the upside in the downside some other people sometimes you know it's like I could do with that, but but overall, it's like there is this additional aspect to the experience that can make it in life, ev you know, a positive some game collectively.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, No, I think it's such a good point, and I think that's a good place to wrap up the main part of the discussion. There's one more question that I want to ask you that I think I'm gonna give it your chance to talk about for just a few minutes now, and I think will be the primarily will be what our bonus section is about for members. By the way, I should have said this at the beginning, but if you want to support this podcast, I feel like what we're talking about. For only five dollars a month, you can become a member. You get bonus content at the end of it. With all of the episodes, you get free bonus episodes. We're gonna be starting those in the fall and also, you just get to help support us. We're using that money to help get better sound equipment, do a whole bunch of things to improve things. Really make it possible for keep bringing you this content. So, Paul, in term of probability and particular polling, Yeah, if something should happen seventy five percent of the time, but the other thing, the thing that was only supposed to happen twenty five percent of the time happens, doesn't that mean that that seventy five twenty five percent thing was wrong. Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's a terrible prediction. Give me And that was that was sarcasm for the uninitiated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reaction to the twenty sixteen polling and an election is kind of the thing that I know Paul has talked about this the most with But I want to give you a chance because I think one of the other human fallacies that we can do is if we know that something is eighty percent even if sometimes it's like if we think something is fifty five percent likely to happen, but even if it's eighty ninety ninety five percent likely to happen, when it doesn't happen, our reaction isn't oh, well, that should happen every now and then. Our reaction is that's wrong. It must have been fixed, It must have been broken. That couldn't have happened. Yeah, talk about this, give me your rant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's absurd, as like flipping a coin twice and it ends up tails twice and you're like, that's it rigged. This was an impossible outcome. Like literally, that's a twenty five percent chance assuming a fair coin, and like, I mean that happens a lot. Like just just think about it. Like you roll a four sided die, right, it's gonna land on one, two, three, or four. You probably had to play D and D to like picture a four sided die. It's a little pyramid, but like and they're actually honestly, it's funny because a for sided die is really easy to kind of rig because they don't tumble quite the same. But like, that's exactly what it is. And I remember during the twenty sixteen election people talking about, first of all, Nate Silver of five thirty eight professional poker player who turned baseball forecaster, who turned political forecaster, et cetera, et cetera. And I think it's important to remember that those are forecasts, they're not predictions. And I think the Huffington Post had Clinton at like ninety nine percent or something, and then five point thirty eight had Clinton at like sixty three percent, maybe just before the election, and I think people looking at that were like, oh, okay, good, she's gonna win, and like that's just a really inaccurate assessment. That would be like, well, okay, you only have a one in one thousand chance of dying from the flu, right, so clearly nobody ever dies of the flu, Like that would be because that's even less likely than the twenty seven Like that doesn't make any sense. You know, if something's twenty seven percent likely, it's it's gonna happen about two times out of seven, right, Like that's that's that happens. Things that happened to out of seven. Like like somebody who hits like two eighty six in baseball, Like they they get hits, they don't bet zero, they're not like a pitcher hitting right two eighty six is actually pretty respectable these days.
Speaker 3: But what that means is that like you're getting a hit twenty nine percent of the time. Round up, sure, and sometimes that person will get a hit. It will go three for five in a.
Speaker 4: Game, Right, that will happen?
Speaker 3: You actually think of the statistics that shouldn't make sense, but actually it does totally make sense. Right A because it is entirely satisically possible. B Because and I think this is very true about polling as well, but other things like that doesn't mean twenty nine percent. It means that, like it's going to be that. You know, if that's like one out of four one out of like fourteen, I don't know what how the numbers would be that it's going to be like thirteen. It's because there'll be a bad hitter and they'll get a couple of hits and then they'll have a couple of oh for five days and like et cetera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know when you wanted to do the break or whatever. Oh I can, I can ramble, I've known, give us.
Speaker 3: Give us like the the bullet points, and then we'll talk about the more than the inverseection.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I mean the main thing is just that, like something that's unlikely isn't something that won't happen, Like you have to understand that something can be fairly unlikely. Like I'll just give you a hand of poker. To illustrate, this has happened to me four times, I think in my career, now a hand similar to this. I have pocket aces. This is the best hand you can have in Texas. Hold them, I raise, they re raise, I reraise. The board comes out ace nine to four. I have three aces. That's the best hand you can have on this Bet on this board, I bet they call the next cards a jack, They check, I bet, they raise, I raise, they raise. The river's another jack. So I have aces full of jacks. The only hand I can lose to his pocket jacks. And of course my opponent has pocket jacks. And the chances of them catching two jacks on the you know, one on the turn, one on the river, is roughly one in a thousand. It's one out of nine hundred and ninety. And I've had this happen four times, this one in one thousand chants. Do I think I'm cursed because some one in a thousand things has happened to me four times? That would be like dying of the flu four times. No, I don't, because I've played millions of hands of poker, and it's not like that should happen. One out of every thousand hands, No, it should only happen one out of every thousand times that a scenario like that that extreme occurs, which isn't that often. But you know, when when you have a lot of instances and things like presidential elections, you don't you have won every four years, right, so whatever the actual outcome is, you're only getting one. It's like you don't have a big bankroll of like presidential slots, right, Like your role is one per four years. There's a small budget, so you know, it's just it's like people even a forecast that said ninety nine percent something was going to happen, Well, that one percent means we're not saying that can't happen. We're saying, you know it could, right, it could happen. It's pretty unlikely, but it could.
Speaker 3: And if you know, four days in a row, say something is ninety nine percent likely to happen, and it doesn't happen at any of those times, Okay, maybe you start to ask about, you know, is that person very good at their job be forecasting? But even then four is not actually a very high sample size. So we're gonna get into a lot more of that in the bonus section for now though, Paul, for people who want to find actually you wanting to do a where to find you or yeah, that's fine, let's actually do that because you have written books abou poker and stuff like yeah, yeah, yeah, So we're gonna get into all that more in our member section again. Become a member only five dollars a month, very easy. All the informations on our website. Also there is all the ways to contact us, so please do that. But Paul, you have actually written a number of books about poker. If you want to find those, please let us know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So what I've listed as I'm Zen Madman on all the like social media stuff, and I have Zen Madman Poker YouTube channel. But my books, my first book was The Poker Warrior. It has some dated language in it and some dated poker advice was from twenty ten. That was my first book. It's available on Lean pub And then I wrote a couple with Dusty Schmidt, who I had a bit of a falling out with after we had some political disagreements you could say. But we wrote Don't Listen to Film Helmeth and another book that was called Critical Concepts. But I think got retitled like how to Crush No Limit Hold Them or something ridiculous like that, both available from Cardos of Publishing, I believe. And then I've got some if you just search for Paul Christopher Hoppy on you know your least favorite bookseller online. They you know, I've got some like low content poker books as well, and some fiction and whatever. But that's the poker content I'm available at the moment.
Speaker 3: And what I'm gonna do is, if you want to find better ways to help support this podcast, I'm gonna any of those that we can, I'm gonna well, I'm gonna put links to all of those on our show notes, and those that you can buy through booksellers and things like that, we'll put an affiliate link. The information will be in the show notes. You may have to use a specific affiliate code, but that way, you know, Paul will get full money, but we'll get a little bit back to help support the podcast. I'm also gonna do that with the movie Rounders. If you haven't watched that, you probably can find I think I'm certain you can rent it through Amazon. We have an affiliate link with them, so I'll get you a way to do that. Even if you don't care about poker. It is a phenomenal, phenomenal movie.
Speaker 4: But it is just you know, from a platter standpoint, it's almost the only good poker movie. Yeah, exactly, That's how I would say it, which is.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we're going to return to this topic, especially gased on feedback, and that'll be a bonus content for some other episode. But today I think we're gonn talk a little bit more about probability. Cool, So I'm having myself and Paul, thank you so much. Please give us our feedback. Chick chick, chick.
Speaker 4: Keeps check all nights check chick check.
Speaker 3: That's it. Actually, wait, I'm gonna take it one more time.
Speaker 4: Am I supposed to?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, you can respond, but you would know that's not why. Here's yuney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's talking about missabuff and Paul. Thank you all so much. Does this look like a man beaten by jacks? We've spoken