Speaker 1: Oh, dear, do you know? I drove back today from Northamptonshire, where I was judging, not in a sort of judgy way, but in a helpful and constructive way my couple of farms which are up for a Shuffle Countryside Awards in the section called Nature Friendly Farming. And as I was driving back and got onto the A fourteen and got to the Cambridge Suffolk Borders, I started counting the number of dead munk jack that are strewn on the central reservation.
Speaker 2: And one going going.
Speaker 1: It headed up when I got to the junction that I turn off to Hawley Green twenty seven I can to just killed floated rotting eyespect my magpies just in that section twenty seven alone, and ridiculous it is. It is the killing fields of a dual carriageway of munk jack.
Speaker 2: Well, callum, take your phone off your desk please. Whoever you're being buzzed by is interrupting the dear listeners.
Speaker 1: It's the it's the Patreon group. Okay, what are they saying?
Speaker 2: How are they They're infecting our life even during the podcast, I know, yeah, infecting, Yeah, covid.
Speaker 3: I posted my chalkstream trout that I just cooked via the magic of the Internet. I didn't cook it via the Internet.
Speaker 2: I said, your microwave it using using the five g router or something.
Speaker 3: I've gone to sixteen now and it grew an extra head and multiplied, so I've worked out. I think maybe that's what Jesus did with the five thousand.
Speaker 2: Fish Bill Gates.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, geah, it was good back then.
Speaker 2: You're Charlie so sort of thin and waf like, even though he's so tall, because you didn't have good internet for the first part of his life so we couldn't cook.
Speaker 1: Well, that's very true. We didn't have internet until he was like thirteen. I mean, as listeners to countries slide.
Speaker 2: Good time for him to discover the internet. Yes, exactly. He's now gone blind.
Speaker 1: It didn't leave his room for a week. Have you noticed this biceps absolutely huge?
Speaker 4: Nothing left of him.
Speaker 2: But staring at a particularly cavacious oak tree until then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. Look at the curves on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just shouts down, father, You must turn the internet off.
Speaker 4: Get dehydrated.
Speaker 1: Can you get off the phone? Yeah? Do you remember that when he used to go and sort of go on the internet and then you sort of went, someone's on the bloody phone. I mean, if he is. Quite bizarrely, I'm that old now. I can remember having a phone which was a party line. Had we had three digits as our phone number, five nine six, that was our phone number, and picking the phone up and we used to have a party line. Who on that was the vicar And so you'd sort of hear the vicar talking to some recently bereaved parishioner and I was trying to sort of go and ring up to chat up some girl, or can you fuck off redvand Hopley, I'm trying to ring up Nancy Dare here, And yeah, it was. I'm sure it probably helped the poor widow through.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the moment when you actually step your first foot into hell? And he says, well, that was that was That was the first incident that we really started taking notice.
Speaker 1: All the bad things you've done, mister nigus have been expected hello and.
Speaker 2: They just bring out the phone book and they start with AAA and just go work through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean then that would probably be very true for actually all three of us. Is that you know, if heaven and Hell exist, let's be perfectly and as we're only heading one way. But then I often think this, So you know, I've never been much of a one for arguing about religion. But for most of the people I know, who are utterly devout and wonderful sort of devotees of their faith, I don't think I'd want to spend eternity with them. I want to spend eternity with all the wrongins who were they were heading down south, So therefore, you know I'll be down there. I'll be saying, go on, smoke exactly still, but you can still smoke in pubs in Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's basically Bristol, because Bristol has is permanently mid nineties, isn't it that never moves forward?
Speaker 1: You know, Bristol. I think I've ever been to Bristol.
Speaker 2: You haven't lived.
Speaker 1: Is it as manic as they say?
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: It's little full of hippies.
Speaker 2: Yes, Krusty's lot. But then you've got all the sort of the sword that moved out from London as well to Bristol, and they sort of they're the ones with yoga, drumming pilates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, froom rooms like that. It was very bizarre. I went to go and do a book signing in a lovely bookshop called Hunting Raven, which is a great anyway in Froom, and I also can't afford to be there. Well, they're a lovely bookshop and the lady who runs it is a top last. But I also went to this other place, which is an absolute as you say, moved out from London for a feeling of light and space and then started off some bookshop. I don't say it because it's unfair, but he's a complete prawn. He's a mate of that shrub salt blokes and all that, and he's just a righteous sort of you know, I've moved to the countryside and I'm going to tell you how to live bloat, but I never forget Claire. And I pulled up into this car park in Froom and there was this very battered old Ford Fiesta sat there and it was so battered and horrible, with fag packets sort of absitely everywhere that you noticed it. And then all of a sudden the owners came out and there was this sort of couple who are arguing with one another, and he just suddenly shouted across the car park at well, you're a Spacker, and I thought this is brilliant, you know. Is that an insult that sort of died out in nineteen eighty two and he's still doing it, having a full domestic in a car parking from well you Spacker and I thought, there is got into the it, got into the Fiesta and drove off with his exhaust dragged along the Grend.
Speaker 2: There's a very sort of special corner of Somerset which is very much in the flatlands. Yeah, and it's you can see a hill and you can sort of see Glastonbury over there, and you can see you can see the sort of the hilly bit that's sort of blurred into becoming x more eventually, but you've got the flat bit. It's not quite Dykes, but it's sort of British water. Yeah, that sort of bit. But then all the way over to Shepton Mallet, okay as well famously home of Babysham.
Speaker 1: Really Mallet is where the as a very famous steam railway. I believe in Shepton Mallet owns the blue Bell Line, owned by David Shepherd, the wildlife artist. Yeah. Interesting, yes, well, interestingly enough, the Bluebell Line, if I'm not mistaken, is owned by David Shepherd, the wildlife artist, whose daughter Belinda was at university with my sister, whose husband is Jeremy Hobson, the author of countless books on many countryside things. So there you go.
Speaker 2: He's the only person I've know who's written a book entirely about ditches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and bigling. I've got I've got a book, his book on biagling. Here he actually is writing a book I believe about Jack Deer, which you know, it almost sounds like we're we're all organized this podcast at the moment because he said, can I can I quote a line from words from the hedge in in my next book on Jack? I have to say authors like him I am hugely in admiration of because they are able to get the get up and go to say, oh well, better go and churn another book out, and better go and do one, and they sell and and you know that, well I am.
Speaker 4: Do you think volume is a is a metric to go for?
Speaker 2: Particularly volume of things? What I saw out of my car window on the way home, ditch right, ditches? What's that? The old phone boxes? I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do the photo book. The things that I've gone and see outside the twelve.
Speaker 2: Callum's first piece is Grip Grip Box with a broken handle.
Speaker 1: Cal's favorite A road. Do you know there is actually probably a best selling book in that. It's just random shots that you take. It's for your car, me and my.
Speaker 3: Cousins, missus cousins soon to be husband.
Speaker 2: Right close relative, yeah.
Speaker 3: Close relative. We always compare service stations and we.
Speaker 2: Got dr English.
Speaker 1: We say the ones that we.
Speaker 3: Stopped in and then and then we give them a bit of a rate in and just go for.
Speaker 1: A far review.
Speaker 3: There's a few that are the magic services, which is South Mims which somehow you get on and whatever you're sat NAV time says you can go in, have twenty minutes in there, come back out and you will arrive at the same time because the traffic never changes. So if you go to South Mims you get magically, you get twenty minutes back of your life.
Speaker 2: A tardis of the service station.
Speaker 4: So I like that one for it being magic, you know.
Speaker 3: An example would be Peterborough would be a sort of three and a half out of five stars.
Speaker 1: It's just it's not got a bridge. He's got a bridge. A bridge is good, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Was going to say this is completely irrelevant content, but actually comparing service stations is probably quite relatable from boost of the audience, given how many people listen to this in the car.
Speaker 1: Well, you think Glenn Glenn probably knows every single service station in the land, and in actional fact it's probably got a sort of Yes.
Speaker 2: The man who goes up and down the country selling probably the best thermal imaging devices also spend a lot of the time on the phone to me swearing.
Speaker 4: Do you think he likes?
Speaker 1: Do you think he likes?
Speaker 3: Do you think he likes a Waitrose, like just one where you can get I think he likes I think he likes a waitress.
Speaker 5: That's probably the better the better food.
Speaker 3: I reckon, I reckon it will appeal to the north in him when you get like a Waitrose or an M and S and they do stuff at very discount prices because no one's buying a whole chicken in a service station.
Speaker 2: There there you have an establishment called Booths Booths, which is the sort of the northern Waitrose. And I'm not going to spoil the rest of that because when when young Richard there comes over to Wales in a couple of weeks we're going to talk about booths and particularly the well one of the family, because it's quite an interesting story.
Speaker 1: Excellent. I do like that, you know, I have to say that there is there is one. It's not only properly a service station, but is the place you have to stop if you're going up into the Highlands, and that is the House of Brewer, the House in Brewer.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm I'm banned from the crystal section.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a bit like that. You sort of somebody somewhere, probably in about nineteen eighty four said right, who are we getting crossing our threshold and they went, there's lots of Americans. And it's more Scottish than a box of Walkers' short red biscuits. I mean, you can't move for Tartan or sag Iron brew. Oh, but is up market Scotland, so therefore it is the worst kind of Scottlan Tartan Fest. There's lots of stag. If you want Antler related deep fried Antler, No, you're at the wrong end of the scale here, callum. This is this is there's a takeaway lobster place in the car park. No, I want any part of it. They have special parking for people like you there, and it's called keep on the Raven, Keep on the Raven, Keep going, Keep going. You'll be an Aberdeen before you know it. And it is the most remarkable place. And I once a decided because I was sent the House of Brewer catalog as to what you could buy, and basically it's nothing but sort of back of the daily Telegraphs, you know, color supplements section clothing, but in Tartan. And I took lots of photographs of these and sort of tried to do a humorous thing on on Twitter about saying all this various sort of clothing and taking a piss out. My god, I might as well have gone and bared my ass at the Pope into Michael Square. It was utterly and that it was like I had absolutely desecrated the Saltire by insulting the hause of Bru is an amazing place. I suggest, callum, you have to go there and just envelop yourself. Let it wash. Let the Tartan.
Speaker 6: Wash over you. You'd like the food hall. Actually, callum, there's all sort of there's all that's not Tartan, that's plaid. But he's hanging up, holding up a checked shirt. Everyone, it's a bench shirt again. I think, isn't it not understanding how an audio podcast works?
Speaker 2: He's now showing things to.
Speaker 1: Shirts rain man, isn't he in every way? Yeah? Was it the fly where he's got sort of has a clean clothes every day? But the just exactly the same as the last day. I think you're talking about Mark Zuckerberg. Am, I who's he? The man that owns the Internet? And I thought that was Tim berners Lee. I thought he owned the internet because you're Tim oh eve.
Speaker 2: One with shagging hell and a bottom carter.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is actually the word. Yeah, okay, anyway, what are we going to talk about today?
Speaker 2: Well? I were a bit late recording this week, although listeners won't know that because you're listening to this on a Friday or a Thursday or in forty seven weeks time, because you've just discovered the show. But I was late back as i've been the furthest Afield have been since my little tree dodging incident. And that was to Liverpool.
Speaker 1: Yes, customer is did they welcome you and tell you a few jokes and sing you a song?
Speaker 2: Liverpool's a weird thing when you approach from Whales or from the south, because you go up, you drive up the world and then you go into there's two tunnels that go under the Mersey and it brings you out right in the center of the city. So it's like if you went through the Blackwall Tunnel and it brought you out on Oxford Street. It's like that. So you just suddenly in Liverpool. You've got no preamble. And we were going to something called the Outdoor Trade Show, which has been going for about twenty years. But it's as the real people say, it's a B to B event as a business to business thing, but it's where all the either manufacturers or the agencies and importers that bring in stuff from America and wherever come to meet the people who buy stuff for the shops. So it's a good place to go and see all the latest new equipment and things which I do actually need to be vaguely aware of for one of my bits of work.
Speaker 1: Did you see anything You went, Wow, that's innovative and clever.
Speaker 2: Because everything's pretty much been invented by now. What you saw was either new stuff or just stuff that was like this is better than that bit over there.
Speaker 4: Same again, but with bluetooth there's.
Speaker 2: Actually more natural cottons and fibers and things. That seems to be the thing now. So we went to see our friends over at Brand Koss, who are also the people that bring in Swan Dry, which are the new Zealand woolens, which I'm quite a big fan. I will wear them all the way through the winter, so see them.
Speaker 3: I like the one that that you were wearing, so then I definitely couldn't have bought that one. So you basically the one I liked you ruined. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They're doing new colors in that one.
Speaker 1: Good. I need a tartan. He ruined it because he wore it, So you're saying he's a bad brand ambassador if we turned up wearing the same thing.
Speaker 3: Richard's one version is like a It's like a I could probably use as a tent should should like you know the weather kick up in.
Speaker 2: The use as a fire blanket for a large commercial fire.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I mean this is this is the problem. You know, back in the day when I was doing lots of kit reviews and they all seem to want me to keep hold of it, so I then wear it in future shots that you would take photographs of. I could never hand on my kit that I was sent to you, because otherwise it would look like you had sort of raided your dad's wardrobe, wouldn't they here?
Speaker 3: You you got gangly arms. You're like, yeah, and two sizes.
Speaker 1: Up from me. I think, yeah, yeah, it's it's it's not it's not a good look. But I did.
Speaker 4: I did peel for some waders, if I remember.
Speaker 1: Right, you did, and you've still got them, haven't it.
Speaker 3: I still got a pair of Snowby They're pretty could actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Over the price, well, do you know what it was?
Speaker 4: I think they were that much money.
Speaker 1: They were. They were very sensible because in the end, I did say to Patrick Galbraith when he was the editor of Shooting Times, I said, you know, there's no point just keep sending me coats that are four hundred and sixty quid or a pair of boots that are ten gazillion pounds, because most people do not have that budget. So let's go for stuff which has got a price point where your average Johnny who reads the Shooting Times could possibly go and think, well, I'll do that. And you realize that on the whole. There were the rare occasions where you go like Brando Coss Boots or dadto you go, Actually, I would spend this much if I wanted to keep my feet warm, dry and comfortable, because they generally are that good. But then you drop down to a price point one hundred and fifty two hundred quid cheaper than them, and they're all the same, and then you realize they've all been made in the same factory anyway, by the same poor little Bangladeshi sweatshop worker. But I have to say today I was actually doing sort of. I was in the company Marcus Jansen, he of main man of Shoffle, and we were judging the two farms today with Ali Henton, your mate Callum. Two lovely people spend time with and very useful as well to get different views and opinions on what we were looking at. But because Marcus was there, I went to my because we've actually got rain for once. We've actually got some raise raining again, now, you know, which is like a miracle. But it was peeing it down this morning. And as I left the house, I went to go and pull off the peg a shuffle coat. Went no, what I'm seeing Marcus. So I went and picked up a Sasta one just to be contrary, just to be controlled, so I can pull that on and go, oh, I'm nice and dry here in my Sasta Meto pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this is there's a weird thing I picked up today, and this is sort of an insight into how this this world works. So the reason we go to I go to these shows is because when I do the stuff with I will say that I've got this strange job. It's just a trained police military search and rescue every now and again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the things we do with that is I don't sell them any kits, but I make recommendations sometimes for clothing because in those environments clothing is effectively ppe and there's bits of equipment, weird stuff like water filters and things that you wouldn't think of. They're a bit boring, but when you need them, you need them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to see a couple of people who haven't been to this trade show before because they're relatively new to the UK, and one was car Heart. So they do all of their posh American well expensive Americans. Yeah yeah, and that's so becomes sort of hipster workware.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, it's a huge It's like north Face.
Speaker 2: North Face used to be yeah, and Canada Goose used to be just Polar expeditions.
Speaker 3: And now it's high street fashion sort of thing.
Speaker 2: It's the lad who's nicked your phone is wearing a Canada Goose. Yeah. Yeah, So when to speak to them? And so there was a few actual there's a really nice bits in their lineup that I know a couple of our clients would be interested in buying. So I said, okay, can I think your card because these people they just want to go and buy twenty or thirty units at a time, direct by straight to bay, straight to units whatever. And they said, oh no, we don't do that. What do you mean are we only sell via retailers. Yeah, but this is like the military. They'll probably buy quite a bit if they like it, you know, or it's quite a nice regular thing that'll be buying. Oh no, we can only do a via retailers. Okay, so right, fine, there's no way around that. No, no, we own you buy retailers. But you're the third military person that said that to us today. All right, okay, well that's mad. So I went down to Pinewood Clothing further down the row, who sponsored the National Gamekeepers Organization and do some very nice Swedish hunting gear. And I spoke to them and they went sure, fine, yeah, yeah, we'll send it straight to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's very interesting watching places that are effectively fashioned trying to break into the outdoors practical use market because they only really want to deal with a nice store and in the inner city they don't actually want to send it out to anyone. But I just thought that was it's an interesting contrast there.
Speaker 3: It's when you get high street retailers if you if you start offering outside of trade accounts, they get the right alp because the prices become different, and and you get resellers and stuff as well.
Speaker 4: For things that get they get.
Speaker 2: Out not from Hereford Well actually, yeah, that's that's that's the point. They would they would put it on an eBay.
Speaker 3: It could be a good cover. Yeah, there there's quite a few.
Speaker 1: There's quite a.
Speaker 3: Few retailers that you they will only sell free. Retailers will never sell anything direct because people just undercut and and and the retailers get get the amp basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's ye, there are I don't think there's a Chauff military division yet, is there, apart from sort of guards regiments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you say that, I mean literally every single officer in the British Army as a shoffle Glay's. It's something that I mean. We there became a point when I was in where it was almost accepted that waterproofs were that shit that they issued you. There was perfectly acceptable to wear a barber. So Barber's bought out a camouflaged waxed barber and it was although not officially issued kit ever, but it was accepted that the military wore that because the stuff they issued you just was as about as waterproof as a tea bag. So they bought out not for stalkers, they brought it out for the army so you could buy it. You bought all your kit that actually worked from Silverman's, who was a military kit retailer, and the stuff that you were issued you just put away in a locker and you had to account for when you left the unit and sort of handed it all back in because basically, other than the wooly pulley and a pair of lightweights, everything else was just crap.
Speaker 3: So when people say that to advise you to shop at an armory surplus store because it's really good kit. They're massive liars, Is that what you're saying? Yes, these days there's a lot of kit that's better. I mean, let's let's be honest with wars tend to influence how kit works. You know, we binned the land.
Speaker 1: Drover when we realized that they weren't very good with IED's and the original range, yes quite, and the boots that we had in the Falklands were just literally sponges for your feet that encouraged it actually encouraged trench foot.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: However, there was never enough towel compowder ever made to dry your feet from AMMO boots, so they thought, oh, let's go and get some new ones. So let's make them out of cardboard. But you know, yeah, it was it was just crab. But yeah, I suppose now, I mean, am I correct in saying that with the sort of kit that you're looking at, there still a lot of it is probably honed in the military sector and then it's civified and then sold to outward boundsy type people afterwards, or is it that.
Speaker 2: Other way around? Waund Yeah, Okay, so yeah, so a lot of the military kit is downstream now of civilian and environment specific developments. But then it always if it's general issue, it always has to go through the thing of how much can you make, can you regularly supply it, can you supply it the same size in the same coding for the next twenty years, and is it the right price point. But when you get to specialist units, say like mountain warfare or one of the new ranger units, so they get to go and hide in all sorts of places that do weird and wonderful things, they buy small amounts of stuff from Civvy Kit. There's also there's a companies like Brigantes, which are ex ray Marines set this up and what they do is they go to units and say, right, what's missing from your kit? What would you really like? Oh, you'd like a really lightweight mountain waterproof. And then they go to a company like Montane, who make civilian high performance mounting waterproof, and say, we want that jacket and those trousers, but I want them in this camouflage pattern instead of bright yellow, and we'll buy ten thousand units and they sell them on that way. So there is a kind of a crossover and you can buy this stuff, but it depends where you're going and what you're doing. But the kit is pretty good these days, although surplus. You don't get good stuff in surplus now because it tends to get shredded. Well, there was a period where isis were running around wearing army surplus kit because they were buying it here shipping it over there. Probably. Yeah, that's the thing when you're coming up against an enemy and you look in the back of the jacket and it's got bas was ere yes.
Speaker 1: Troop of snookes, magloof most of the most of the army now seems to be some sort of special forces or airborne. But callum, you were airborne? Am I correct?
Speaker 2: Insane? That's quite a good segue for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you. Tell me about how you joined the mile high club. The other.
Speaker 2: Man touch you in special places like France that.
Speaker 4: No one touched by joystick, no one looked at.
Speaker 1: Did he raise your flat?
Speaker 2: Did you do refueling.
Speaker 1: They're so ready that Did you do docking in the No? No docking? No?
Speaker 2: Did he fill your luggage compartments?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: Look, I was, I was, I just felt, you know, just slightly inadequate when you're suddenly said to me, oh, here I am flying to was it you went to? How did this come about?
Speaker 2: And what did you do?
Speaker 1: Basically I just did a booze cruise in the sky. Well he wasn't drinking and flying, was he?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Is this the episode where Callum admits customers fraud?
Speaker 3: So you're allowed I don't know what you're allowed. Yes, then certain, you're allowed a certain amount, but I think anything anything more you end up having to declare whatever it is. But basically, in the next wait, what's the what's the solstice day? Twenty third? Comy first is twenty first. They go Sunday the twenty first, So on Sunday the twenty first, the people at North Wild Flying School are going to fly over to Epinay and then pick up champagne, fly back to North Wild and have a champagne festival at the Cartshed restaurant. So we're all just going to drink champagne.
Speaker 1: And what you have to do a reki.
Speaker 3: We had to do a w reki to work out we wanted to proper champagne like not there's so much a lot of champagne is just marketing bullocks, Yes, in a fizzy bottle, and that's where you're paying for You're paying expensive money for marketing hype. But some champagne, well quite a lot of champagne is delicious, and there is local growers and there's good people. So we went to Epinay and we tried lots of different champagnes and we picked some of our faves. And there's going to be like just seafood, there's going to be oysters and all sorts of fancy stuff.
Speaker 1: This is a ticket event.
Speaker 3: You can buy tickets if you If you do wish, we'll put that in the show notes.
Speaker 2: This sounds like a poor person events.
Speaker 3: It's very good. So you get three glasses of champagne. Tickets are thirty five quid. You get three thirty five pounds exactly. You get three glasses of champagne with your ticket, So that's a fifty meal thing.
Speaker 2: And do they just hand you three glasses immediately to say to deal with those?
Speaker 1: You get to try wherever you fancy, I think.
Speaker 3: And then you also get included in that ticket price, you get a ten pound food voucher.
Speaker 2: So it's basically free.
Speaker 1: So that's quick mass.
Speaker 2: That's quite a good deal in this day and age. How do you know, how does that sort of thing come about?
Speaker 4: Well, I know how much the champagne costs.
Speaker 3: So it is a very good deal because there is barely any money being made on that, because the champagne was quite expensive.
Speaker 2: Because we've got how much aviation for youel costs.
Speaker 3: Well, they all love it, didn't they, So that that's sort of their their investment. They'll pay for the jolly anyway, so it's not really on the extra.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the plan.
Speaker 3: And I went for a reki, tried some champagnes out and some were delicious, some not so good. At one point I'm sitting in a fancy place and be like, I think this one tastes like piss.
Speaker 1: It's just like we we.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we we yes.
Speaker 1: You see she agreed.
Speaker 4: It tastes like piss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of them. Some tastes like cider. They've got like a real sidery.
Speaker 3: Taste depends on not terrible grape varieties, sugar content added post how sweet the grapes are, and and yeah.
Speaker 1: There's lots of different ones. So yeah, we tried that.
Speaker 3: But light aircraft, so most people their response when I posted my Instagram story was essentially what are you doing?
Speaker 1: It does very very very swanky, Callum. I'll be honest, no, not that that was scared for me.
Speaker 2: It looks like he stolen it. That's the thing I.
Speaker 3: Mean that that that is.
Speaker 2: By asking GPT how do I lambers one two skylight?
Speaker 1: I was taking notes in the I reckon I'd have a guy, you know, I reckon.
Speaker 2: I all right, it's all in the flaps and the approach speed.
Speaker 1: James May is an amateur sort of pilot his n He's got a little error plane that he buzzes around in. And yes, it does seem to be the sort of preferred mode of transport for slightly eccentric Who your friend who owns this plane? Is he a James mate? Aren't character?
Speaker 3: It's William from the cart Shed? Who will I'm going to get him on as a guest, but just we did suggest doing a podcast, but then we ended up drinking champagne and it's quite loud in a cockpit, so that sort of didn't really work out.
Speaker 2: Dear listeners. When it comes to organizing a podcast guest, Callum is very good on the ideas thing, But then gets pissed and forgets to forget to actually do the podcast.
Speaker 1: This is about three in.
Speaker 2: Now he's done this on.
Speaker 1: This is if you do notice is this, dear listener, is that you'll notice that actually most of our guests come from Suffolk, so there was a reason for that. Let's call boys doing local exactly. And none of them can fly a plane.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but they do point at them as a fly past. Yeah, what's that doing that?
Speaker 4: Try and throw you know, some coppice hazel.
Speaker 1: Shit at them, God bloody ravens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's faster than the steam engine.
Speaker 1: That'll never catch on.
Speaker 2: Trying to put a light aircraft in it in a trap, in a larceon trap, trying to attract another one in.
Speaker 3: So, light aircraft is a remarkable way to travel. Is it doesn't feel like you should be allowed to do it, like it does feel illegal. So you get in this sort of tiny little plane, which so the plane belongs to the flight school and you can basically just rent the plane, so you pay X amount per hour and the flight school maintained the plane. So it's very safe because they I think it's like every fifty hours it has to have a service and stuff, so it's a very safe way to travel. And then well, actually I checked the risk profile because you know, two kids at that also check my life insurance just to make sure. I'm not sure it was covered, but details the risk profile is the same essentially as riding a motorcycle.
Speaker 2: So really yeah, well depends where you're riding it. Paris, Paris Dakar is very different too.
Speaker 3: Yes, true is probably a bit harder and faster than the most but the main thing that can happen is engine failure. And you've got quite a good glide, so you go up to.
Speaker 2: Like five halfway across the channel before it happens.
Speaker 3: So when you basically you get slightly you get higher altitude. And I was like, how comes you go slightly higher when you go across the channel And he looks, he says, oh, well what happens is you know, see this line here, this is where we'll land if the engine cuts out. Yeah, so this is about where we are, So we're about halfway. This is where we're land and he said, see those oil tankers down there, like yeah, they're stopping. Distance is like four and a half miles or something ridiculous. So if you land anywhere near them. They're not going to pick you up. But if you can aim for the fishing boats over there, we should be all right, because once you send out the signal, the coastguard will say to all the fishing boats to come and pick you up. And you know, should we should we land in the sea. Put that life jacket on, now come and get you.
Speaker 2: And you said, did check out positivity of this?
Speaker 1: I know, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It's just I've done dunk tank training. It doesn't happen like that.
Speaker 1: No, No, I've done that. It's crap. Do you know? I can remember doing doing the dunk tank training module. Basically, Caaren, what they do is they make you sit in a simulation of a Puma helicopter. Oh and you have to u not the wild cat. No, no, they threw you in. Yes, you know, the initiation ceremonies my regiment were ridiculous. And you sit in a Puma helicopter simulator which basically looks like a gigantic oil drum, and you're sat in in seats that you would sit in in a Puma helicopter and you clip yourself in and then it lowers you into this very cold, very deep swimming pool, and then you're supposed to wait, and so you x exit this thing underwater in order so you don't just sort of all got once. You needs topposed to follow one after the other. And then it goes in, and then it turns you upside down with the lights on. And then the final time they dunk you in against you now know exactly what you're getting, and it feels like you're a million fathoms under the water. You're not, you're any sort of I got don't know how many foot it's not that far. But then they turn the lights out so it's pitch black, turn you upside down, and it is It's the closest I ever got to say I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: This is stupid, but it is stupid.
Speaker 1: But then you get out and you get given a certificate, and then they say, and by the way, if this happens for real life, none of this will happen because you'll die. And if you don't die immediately in the crash, you won't get out because you're going to have to go all the way to the bottom of Lockney, which is x fathoms deep, So therefore your ears will go pop and you'll die and if if you do get out, probably the swirling rotor will still chop your head off anyway. And you're thinking, I don't think I want to be in a helicopter crash, thank you very much, you know, so let's not do that. So you know, I do go on aeroplanes, but I don't think i'd like it.
Speaker 2: This is reassuring calum for next time. So if you do look like you're get a crash in the channel, just try try and suffocate yourself on a bag of peanuts or something before you get into the water.
Speaker 1: Quite take a Webley pistol with you and just said, what's that for? It's just a case with crash because I'm not going to be chopped in bits because Niggers told me that you're going We're going to die, because it's all right, we're just coasting. We're going to land on ben A Day beach. Thankfully.
Speaker 3: There's lots of coastguards knocking around in the channel at especial, especially on the French side.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that be funny if you actually got rescued by a bunch of legals coming over and they had to put you on.
Speaker 3: I was thinking if I did go down, so I'll get back to it. But I saw I saw two migrant.
Speaker 1: Boats, did you yeah.
Speaker 3: And the French down the French coast guard, where I was like, oh, they're chasing them down, and then the pilot said, no, they're not chasing them down.
Speaker 1: They're escorting them to the border.
Speaker 3: And then once once they get past, the scooted them over the line. Once they get over the line, they say, you know, that's Narnia, your business, and then that's it done. But I thought to myself, if I did go down, all I'd have to do just ditch the passport and I get put up for like h I don't know. Maybe i'd do like seven nights at the Bell Hotel in Eppin up the road that's where they all go.
Speaker 1: That sounds quite nice, No, kids, can you imagine Kelly's face? Where have you been an illegal migrant getting I'm three meals a day.
Speaker 2: I'm now eritraying.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of the kingpin of a gang, and.
Speaker 2: Don't ruin this for me.
Speaker 1: I'm really big n Eritrayer.
Speaker 2: I'm also addicted to cats.
Speaker 3: I can get you lots of things, and I know really good hummus recipe like, if you get me some chickpeas, you're gonna have the hummus for your life.
Speaker 2: The Green Party and now just made you the mayor of Epping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, lived like a local.
Speaker 2: He's examined the cost benefit analysis of this. It looks like it's a better option than that.
Speaker 1: I just thought a free hotel stace sounds quite nice. You went on a champagne booze cruise and a private aircraft and you came back an eritrean refugee. I mean, if that isn't the plot for a BBC one drama, I do not know what is Pitch.
Speaker 2: Brown for us.
Speaker 3: I thought it would make a good novel for a person that sort of hit their head, didn't realize where they came from, and then slowly pieced back together their former life when they when they you know, when they heard gunshots, they realized that all the other refugees were scared of them, and and you just wanted to get in a beat in line and shout.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yay. You're like, ah, maybe I was from another life. Don't worry, don't worry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm getting clawed to write the book about it right now. I'm going for volume rather than anything else.
Speaker 2: Like Jason Jason Board, except as a gamekeeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a game like Jason Bourne.
Speaker 3: The gamekeeper sort of wakes up, doesn't know where he is, a bit like Taken or something like that. You know, wakes up, doesn't know where he is. He's got a very special set of skills that slowly.
Speaker 2: Carry four bags of wheat at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: He knows.
Speaker 4: He knows how to protect, you know, protect grand nest.
Speaker 1: And birds, and he's.
Speaker 4: Got a compulsion to do it. It's not like the other refugees exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, Rather than just because of catching carp randomly of river banks, you're trying to conserve them.
Speaker 4: This I could start littering, but this isn't good for the environment.
Speaker 2: On the on the way home today, I saw something and it made me immediately think of calump It was outside a pub somewhere in Queen's Ferry, sort of on the edge of the where we're all becomes.
Speaker 1: Northwest Pigeons because I don't do that.
Speaker 2: No, it was several quite nice looking vans and minibuses, all with monster carp tours all the way down the side. What's this just like mini busting over to the continent for carp fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you get loads of that. I might even know. Let me search Monster carp Tours.
Speaker 2: Is that a think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so basically you play.
Speaker 3: I am not that big a fan of so I don't mind going cart fishing, but I would not like to go to a giant lake and sit there for like a week on the same place now drinking, Yeah, drinking stubbies and getting melted by the sun. Like that's how you catch seventy eighty ninety pound carp if that's what you what you want to do.
Speaker 1: But I like the adventure personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Monster cart tours Yeah, white and Green, great big bands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just there was a huge fleet of them. I was looking at, going how much money is in this carpink?
Speaker 3: So they are so wants to carp tours are actually hiring the vans so you can go abroad.
Speaker 2: So was the self drive car holidays. Yeah. Also it says he if you just do that with any vide bus, surely now.
Speaker 1: But they a lot of a lot of mini bus driver operators are very very dubious about lots of people in camouflage kit covered in slime using their kit.
Speaker 2: I'm going over to France with the champagne.
Speaker 3: If you're a fan that already stinks like boilies, you go to that that guy and you could only get it smelling better.
Speaker 1: Talking about fishing, Talking about fishing, I did a talk with Mike Warner sometimes of this parish about fishing and the land of the Suffolk Show. And I'll tell you what he did, a brilliant passions of what's your passion for seafood? Passion for seafood? He did a brilliant thing. What he did was he went there with my cousin Gary and a few other people, and quite rightly, they went to the Suffolk Show, and bearing in mind we are very much a coastal county as well as an agricultural county, he went there and he showcased the fishing fleet, what's left of it in Suffolk and what you we catch off our coast. And he got Gary to go and sort of make nets and talk to people about what it is like being a professional fisherman. And it went down an absolute storm. And here and Mike and I did a quick talk in the cla stand on the second day of the show. On the in the afternoon, and it was really reassuring to see just how engaged people were, because I think it's a funny old thing. We think about the countryside, and you always think about leafy, don't you, But then the countryside is we've got a massive coastline, miles of coastline we've got, but that is still a rural community trying to go and earn living from its harvest, which is from the sea. And I think it's really good what he did, and he went down the storm.
Speaker 2: That was a good thing. Yeah, this is the thing I've often said about the the ruralness of coastlines and sort it gets forgotten.
Speaker 1: How many miles of coastline have we got? Do you know? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Don't do this. I know what you're about to do.
Speaker 1: What is he googling it?
Speaker 2: No, it's worse. He's going to do some sort of chaos theory fractaling things.
Speaker 3: Basically, basically impossible to work out how much coastline Britain has got because it's so jaggedy, and obviously the tide happens and it makes it more jaggedy. The chances of getting anywhere close to accurate figure for the coastline is basically impossible because you sort of draw quite straight line and don't make up how it is, and it works out at like X number of miles. And then when you go slightly find a detail and you draw instead of like one mile lines, you go down to like one hundred meter lines that go in straight you get like a massive amount more coastline, and then it forever changes and you can't work out where tides go or anything like that. So working out how long the British coastline is it's basically an impossible task.
Speaker 1: You could just go insane trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't bother.
Speaker 1: Do you think the flat earthers don't believe in tide? Because I mean I've never actually believe in time tides. Tide, Oh tides, Oh yes, tides, yes times. No, because let's be perfectly honest, the old flat earth. I've never met a flat earth, I'll be honest, and I only believe. I only believe the chem people exist on the Internet. I think they're just no on my local pub was spray painted with the words look up in the sky.
Speaker 4: They're spraying us like bugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using paint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably sniffed the rest.
Speaker 1: Do you know what the best thing is?
Speaker 3: Anyone I've met there's like a big conspiracy theory and believes that like people are poisoning us and stuff. I know that they've spent quite a lot of their time using drugs, so they've put so so many narcotics a dangerous thing in their body. They're like, no, I won't have a vaccine, not a chance. So do you know what's in it? And I think, hey, I've seen you take a peal that you don't even know what it is. You found it on the floor. Oh see, you take something out of a pez dispenser that you didn't know what it was.
Speaker 1: What it's rugby? And you won't have a vaccine?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: In case Bill Gates is tracking your thoughts. You ain't had an independent thought in your life. You only think about footboard tits. Can't believe you've alienated all the forestry boys now, because you know, aren't they into flat earth and no tides in chem trials.
Speaker 2: I was with a load of forestry people this weekend. Yeah that's a bit blue Peter, isn't it. Well really, I was with some forestry went to the agricultural Society Felling Competition.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, this is.
Speaker 2: We've got the Royal World Show, which is in a few weeks. It's normally the week before the game fare. But there aren't any trees at the camp around a bill Wells because the've already cut them all down, so you have to have the felling competition a few weeks beforehand. And it's this year is up in the North Wales, so it's not far from here. And we had one of our patrons competing and come all the way on his own, so we went along to sort of heckle, I mean support him from.
Speaker 1: The what did you call it wood wood sport or something?
Speaker 4: Is timber not wood sports?
Speaker 1: Don't google that.
Speaker 2: I think you both really enjoy it so much. Well, Richard, you're eligible to enter. We can enter next year with your chainsaw tickets. Shall we do that? Shall we do that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Can I be like motivational? I haven't got any change.
Speaker 1: You to do commentary on a loudspeaker. I think it'd be brilliant Calm doing the commentary.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes, Calumber without any briefing, just having to work out what's going on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, he's swinging in the tree. It looks like he's gonna cut it.
Speaker 1: Let's go tree.
Speaker 2: That's a chainsaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've goaw smaller than the other guys.
Speaker 1: Chainsaw. What's that going to mean?
Speaker 2: It's bas the pills, isn't it. You've got to drop a tree bang on exactly or millimeter perfect and get it the right height and the accuracy of your cut is marked. And then you've got to do some cross cutting where you've got to do two cuts into a log and they've got to meet up in the middle. And then there's another one where you've got to cross cut something on the floor and cut through almost all the way through but leaving the minimum amounts and then not hitting the floor with your chain. And there's my favorite competition, which is changing a chainsaw chain on time, which I think is quite a cool little thing because you just go to a tabletop and right and go and take off all the take off all the broad the breaking things, take the bar off, flip it over the other way around, put a new chain on, put reattach it and then done.
Speaker 1: It's like, do you know what I would do? I would, for a laugh, go there with and with a battery powered chainsaw and a chain that's really blunt. So when everyone else is the gang and they're having an argument whether husky or steel is best, I would go with a Maquisa electric saw and a chain that literally you could lick and it wouldn't draw blood, and go there and start sort of vigorously soaring back. And we did it. What what's what are you sneering at me?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 1: What stops throwing helmets at me?
Speaker 2: You've changed from England.
Speaker 1: Sop it.
Speaker 2: Two of the more competitive lads they were from Norfolk Garum trees and we've got some gar I think in our audience, So yes, some of that lot. But there's a question has arisen for you, Richard this yes, which is I've been told to ask you. Do you drink your port with your foot up on a chair? Well because of the gout? Well no, no, no, no, I die don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: It's a guards thing apparently, No, I don't do that. That's ustly ridiculous. What I do have, obviously is dry toast with every meal, because that's a regis position. But no, no, and I sit down for the French national anthem, right, yeah, but no I do beat them, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Isn't something to do with that you were going to ride into battle and then you realize they hadn't finished toasting the toasting so they had to they were drinking the pause whilst a foot of bit of stirrup.
Speaker 1: That is certainly something I have never come across, and not one we do. We have many questions answered. Yeah, so no is the short answer. But you know in the Nathy anything goes, so yeah, it might be all right. So any road after sure, after show, I think is essential because poor Amy has got to edit all this nonsensical nonsense into some relevant sort of form of understandable. And yes, so let's do that. So what are we going to make Callum do a noise? For? I know what we ought to do. Make him do a noise like the glide on a on a light aircraft that the calculations were completely out and he's now plummeting straight down into the path of an oncoming illegal immigrants.
Speaker 2: Vote Callan does that? And will you and I do the black box recording? Oh my god, we're gonna die.
Speaker 1: I long to die like this. Oh God, that the excellent
Speaker 2: Valdis is going to run us over