Speaker 1: It's the Minnesota Goodbye. We have a special guest today, Bash.
Speaker 2: Who is he?
Speaker 1: No? I was training Baily. Hello, Yeah, just gating Bons here today.
Speaker 3: Hey, he for joining US Academy. All right, that's enough.
Speaker 1: Get you get to speak for one minute out this entire podcast. So choose wisely. No, just kidding, just kidding. Okay, here we go. Let's come right into the emails. This person says, I'm writing in hopes of getting your perspective on a wedding invite situation. So follow along closely because it's kind of detailed. My cousin's daughter is getting married soon. Most of my immediate family recently received formal invitations in the mail, including my parents and brother's family, but I haven't received one myself. What's puzzling is that I was invited in the couple's Facebook Save the Date event last year, and I know they have my address because my girlfriend and I have sent them Christmas cards the past couple of years. We're not extremely close, but we did all go to the same small town high school and see each other at major holiday gatherings and family birthdays. I also serve on a nonprofit board with the bride's mother, so we have a friendly connection over the years. I'm not usually one to stress over wedding invites, but this situation has me second guessing, especially since the Facebook invite. I don't want to assume I'm invited and show up unannounced, but I also don't want to make anyone feel awkward if it was an oversight, or if they had to make tough guest list decisions, maybe it was lost in the mail. Would it be appropriate to reach out to the bride directly to ask or would it be better to speak with her mother? Or should I just let it go and assume the lack of an invitation was intentional? Thank you dart Lick dirt, Like, like, I don't know if they want me to say their name, so I'm going to leave them anonymous. So what would you guys do? Would you confront the situation because they were invited to the Facebook group and everyone else in their immediate family has gotten their invite or are you just going to like let it roll and see if maybe the invite comes in eventually or you're just not invited.
Speaker 4: I liked what they said about asking their mother because then I mean, then you can get the answer without like stressing out the bride. Also, if you are not invited, then you don't have to create an awkward conversation with you and the bride, because that would be so awkward. So if you think her mother would know the answer, if not, I don't know if you're like close with the mother, but it'd be cool if like, if you weren't invited, then the mom can be like, so is so and so coming to your wedding and maybe she can like drop the hint and then see what the bride says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would ask the mother for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like the bride and groom, like the people like hosting the wedding, you have to be prepared to have that awkward conversation if you're going to quote unquote accidentally throw me in the Facebook chat like now I'm confused. So now if I'm confused and I come to you, you have to be prepared to just man up and be like, yeah you are You aren't invited?
Speaker 4: Well, they probably don't if they if they did intend to invite you and then they didn't realize that you didn't get the invitation, then it would be confusing for them, Like what do you mean are you invited?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then and then it's just like, oh my bad. But then if it's like, oh yeah, we didn't mean to put you in that Facebook group chat, it is awkward.
Speaker 1: But I mean, well, you have to think about it that the Facebook group chat or the group whatever started a year ago, and a lot of times throughout the year of wedding planning you do realize like, I've got to cut some guests, so right, So yeah, I would say what Bailey said is go to the bride's mother. If you have a relationship with that person, you serve on the board together, so it seems like the easy go too, and then yes, you can refrain from stressing out the bride and groom and potentially making them.
Speaker 4: Feel Yeah, exactly, So I especially if you're not invited anymore, I would say definitely ask But yeah, I would say ask the mother. So and if you are uninvited and all of your family is invited, there's the police. No I'm going to say, like could you be their plus one? Because I have been invited to like my cousin's weddings on my dad's side, and my parents are divorced, but I'll bring my mom as a plus one because I'll be like, Okay, I could either bring someone who will know zero people at this wedding, or I can bring my mom, who's going to know everyone at this wedding, but they just wouldn't invite her because my parents are divorced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a good option.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they'd want to do that because they have a partner themselves. So I feel like they probably would want to go to the wedding and be able to bring their.
Speaker 3: Partner, but maybe not. Okay.
Speaker 1: The next email we had had an email sent in yesterday asking us our favorite budget tips, and so here's some tips from someone and how they love to save every little penny. They said, shop at ald whenever you can. For those high price items. You can find name brand things like Rao Pasta, I don't know how to pronounce it, Rouse Rouse Pasta, Pasa, General Mills, Cereal and such for cheaper, but the big hitters are produced Daarien meats.
Speaker 3: You save a ton when you get those. Is that all deep? Next one when a road trip.
Speaker 1: When on a road trip and needing gas, Jenny, this is a good tip for you, they say. Google maps will tell you what gas price is per gallon at different gas stations. When you search your route for gas stations. This also tells you how out of the way the gas station is when you need to stop.
Speaker 3: That's good to know.
Speaker 1: Keep your money in a high yield savings and checking account. Many banks and credit unions to offer some type of high yield savings account and possibly checking account. I like American Express and I have a three point eight percent interest savings and one percent interest checking account with them. Don't let your money sit and do nothing. Investing in mutual funds and long term savings is great, but sometimes difficult, So why not just keep all of your money in an account that will essentially pay you to do it. My amex account has no fees and no minimum balances, so make sure whenever you wherever you choose to put your money it doesn't have fees either. I do have a high yield Save Bailey and Eye Boss that started high yield savings accounts.
Speaker 3: Yes in the last six months.
Speaker 4: Just check mine yesterday, because I don't know it was on my mind and I've only had it since January and I've already just from my interest gained four hundred and eighty one dollars.
Speaker 3: Right, so doing nothing right.
Speaker 1: So, just to break it down, highyield savings accounts are basically you earn interest on the money that's in that account. So so for instance, I bank with Huntington Bank, I have a savings account with them. All the money sitting in there is not doing anything besides sitting in there. However, in a high yield savings account, they are like it's a lot of jargon and whatever, but essentially they're using your your money to help them in business ways. So because they have access to your money, they're paying you interest on your money for save putting it in there. But you can do whatever you want. You don't have to like have it sitting in there for five years and not have access to it. You can put it in there and then it gains interest. And like this person said, some of them don't have minimum balances and you I would never do one that has a fee, so make sure also, like they said to not.
Speaker 4: Anyone has capital one And I have a three point six interest rate. But like gosh, looking at oh, I've made four hundred and eighty one dollars in five months.
Speaker 3: Wow, I wish I had this way sooner. Like years sooner would have been great, right.
Speaker 2: You guys are so much better than me. Alyssa tells me every day like I don't, I don't. I haven't even like touched my four oh one K or like set that up, which is so bad because it's literally.
Speaker 1: You're young and I'm not gonna judge you for that. However, I also was like you who waited too long to do my four a one K believe it or not for someone who's very like money savvy, so I would say it's one of those things that's on your task list that you're like, fuck, I don't want to do this, ye, just call just call Fidelity.
Speaker 3: That's what we go through here with iHeart, and.
Speaker 1: Just call them and like set it up and they are going to ask you questions that truthfully, I didn't really know the answer to. Andrew was there at the time, and so he helped me, Like I had the person on speaker and he's like, yes, like go high risk now and do whatever later. Like there are definitely certain things that they'll ask you that might be a little bit confusing if you don't do your research, But setting up for your four oh one K is so important, especially because our company just brought the match back where they'll match up to five thousand dollars of a four oh one K, So that's free money, like you literally some people will say, don't put money in a four to one k invested in property, Like there's so many different things out there that people tell you. However, everyone will agree that if your company is matching your four oh one k, you should definitely contribute to a four oh one k. We didn't have that kind of We didn't have the match for the last like four years. So when they sent us an email saying that they're bringing it back, it's not a lot, I was so stoked. So anyways, okay, sorry, back to the budget tips from this person, Stephanie. Go through your credit card and bake statement for the last three months and see what automatically is coming out, what bills you are paying, make sure they are legit, remember day's jib jab, and also pay attention where the majority of your non essential money is going. If you stop at the coffee shop, a skip one day a week, going out for launch or dinner a lot question marks. They say, replace one of those a week with a frozen meal, a box dinner, et cetera, and she has got a couple more. Have an automatic transfer from checking to your savings account every week or directly from your paycheck to make sure you are for sure saving at least something. Only take money out of your savings if it is absolutely essential. Even saving ten dollars a week in a high yield savings account will build up and compound over time. And then last the biggest tip, start this all today. The earlier you start saving, the faster you can build your cushion. Saving money can be easier than you think if you put your money in the right places. The good luck this comes from Stephanie and Yeah, like I just said, you just got a call.
Speaker 3: Make it.
Speaker 1: I won't say today, I will give you a week, but it's it really is one of those things that you're like, you'ready to do. Bailey and I were like, we know we need to put our money in high yield savings acounts, but we didn't do it.
Speaker 3: And then how long did it take to like five minutes? Yea, really five minutes?
Speaker 1: It seriously was so quick. So look into all of that. And Stephanie, thank you so much for your email. That was super inful. Met Okay, let's see what this says. Hey, hey, it seems like Dave is always on vacation lately. Just curious to know how many vacation days everyone gets per year. Also, if you were to get, say a whole month off, where would you like to go on?
Speaker 3: Va ky This comes from Marie.
Speaker 1: So Dave, I believe, gets six weeks of vacation because he has been here for five hundred years, so he gets six weeks.
Speaker 3: I get. I think I'm at like eighteen days now.
Speaker 1: I've been here for almost ten years, so I think I'm at like eighteen ten.
Speaker 3: Yep, Ailey and I both get ten.
Speaker 2: iHeart.
Speaker 3: The way it works is we start with ten.
Speaker 2: When you get in the company full time, and then as I think every five years that goes by, you get an extra couple. And then some people just have a way of negotiating, like a couple more or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, vacation day.
Speaker 1: There's something that people negotiating their contracts if we are not getting compensated in other ways.
Speaker 3: So that is why I.
Speaker 1: Have a weird I have a weird number of eighteen versus I probably would only have fifteen. But that was one of my contract negotiations anymore. Yeah, last time. And then well, also they have the other question of if you could get a whole month off.
Speaker 3: Where would you go on VACA?
Speaker 1: Okay, I personally would probably travel to Southeast Asia, and I wouldn't stay in just one spot because that's just not who I am. I like to see everything that I can, so I would definitely just kind of hit up a bunch of different places. I'd go to Bali, I would go to I did go to Thailand, but I didn't really explore explore Bangkok when I was there. I'd want to go to Vietnam. I want to hit all those spots and maybe pop over to like New Zealand and Australia too. So what about you guys a month long VACA?
Speaker 4: Well, gosh, if I had a month, I would honestly probably spend like five days just like chillin' getting my life in order, because I would love to just you know, clean my home and make sure it looks really nice and just relax for a minute and then for the rest of it. I agree, Jenny, I would love to go to New Zealand because they have like like kind of studio accurate or film accurate hobbitin from Lord of the Rings. And I would love to go and see that.
Speaker 3: That would be so cool.
Speaker 4: And I have one or two friends, two friends in Australia. It'd be cool to see them. It'd be cool to go to the Australia Zoo see Robert Erwin.
Speaker 3: In real life. Yeah, he's there all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, show up. I mean, like just works there. That's just like his job, which is insane to me that.
Speaker 3: He's just a zoo keeper, such a baby thing.
Speaker 4: He is so hot and it's so weird because he's twenty one. But whatever, that's besides the point I would like. I mean, I would love to see the Scottish Highlands. That would be really cool.
Speaker 3: I would probably bop around too. I would be boobop.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I do a lot of bopping. I mean, there's plenty of places in the US. I just I'm not a world traveler because there's always so many things to do right here in my own city.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So honestly, I would do anything.
Speaker 4: If somebody's like, hey, you want to go explore the Midwest, I'd be like, hell yeah, that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, pimp in hell yeah, pimp in. I have two potential answers. One of them's quick Hawaii. I don't know anything about Hawaii. I've just Melissa and I've been watching Temptation Island and then it's in Hawaii and it just looks so gorgeous. But i feel like that's the cliche answer, So I'm gonna say Puerto Rico. I always tell you guys, I'd love to go to Puerto Rico. And I would probably be boobop around too, because there's San Juan, which is like the tourist the like the go to place when you go to Puerto Rico. Definitely want to do all that shit because I am a tourist. But then like even the smaller islands like vik As is like a very like a couple of years ago, Hurricane A re hit vick As and they've been like rebuilding. It's been like seven years, so I'm sure it's back to, you know, somewhat normalcy and just have the authentic food. And I want Puerto Rican food from somebody's grandma's house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just pop into some random person's house. We get. I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a good question. Thanks for us sending those in so one more email I have. It says hello, I just wanted to pose a question to It says just you, ladies, because they probably didn't think that you were going to be on vunt But since Dave is out for the week, it says, do you think pretty privilege is as common as Dave makes it out to be. We all know where he stands, since he brings it up a lot, but I would love to hear your honest and unfiltered opinions on the topic. My opinion is that it's not as big of an issue as maybe it once was. We live in the day and age where anyone can be pretty and attractive if they decide to put enough time, effort, and money into it. We have options now like in visi line, weight loss, meds, laser treatments, et cetera, that can make us all more conveniently or conventionally attractive. But also the majority of tasks are done remotely. Now, we don't even see what people look like a lot of the time for pretty privilege to become a factor. And lastly, I think beauty is fluid. I think most of us go through phases in our life where sometimes we are more attractive than other times, so the pretty privilege would come and go. I would love to hear your thoughts and that comes from Ali. So bailly do you want to kick it off?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think it exists.
Speaker 4: I think what you ali your point about it being anyone can afford it at this point, or like you know, if they have the money, they can afford to be pretty. That's where my problem lies with because like, for example, the Kardashians. Obviously, I honestly think the Kardashians are gorgeous, but it's not because they're like, you know, naturally gorgeous. It's because they have the money to be gorgeous, and I don't have the money to be gorgeous.
Speaker 3: So therefore I.
Speaker 4: Feel ugly sometimes because other people have the money to be gorgeous. And also I think just when you grow up being bullied and stuff for being ugly, then you do get kind of uh jaded by gorgeous people. But I I don't think necessarily that they're privileged in the sense that like Dave would think that they're privileged, like they get better jobs and everything for being pretty. They just might get treated better without knowing it. But honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing to be treated in a certain way because you're good looking. I think the real problem is Instagram face, where everyone on the internet looks exactly the same because they're all getting the same work done. That's always kind of creepy to me. But I do think people are beautiful when they have unique features that are different from others. Yeah, in my humble opinion Jenny thoughts feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I do also think that pretty privilege is definitely a thing. Still, I do not think that it is to the extent of what Dave thinks it is, because I feel like Dave kind of puts everyone in this bucket of Instagram influencers, and there's just so many other jobs out in the world. But I feel like he focuses on the people who only have a following on Instagram because they're pretty, Whereas, like, okay, influencers make up what percentage of the general population of working people, not a lot, a very small percent. So when you look at other industries, I just don't think that your looks, take like, are that important to getting a job. So there are definitely jobs that being pretty are in advantage. Yes, of course, like a news anchor being in sales. I think salespeople, if you have personality and on top of that you also are good looking, you are definitely going to do better in sales. That's just well known when it comes to sales. So I definitely think that there's a privilege there. But I also would like to point out that there are a lot of different privileges out there outside of pretty privilege. There are so many and I don't want to get into all of those, but it's like, how you know, I got a good education.
Speaker 3: At the University of Minnesota.
Speaker 1: I have a decent intelligence, I feel like, but like, what about the people who got to go to Yale and Harvard because they're so smart? Is there intelligence privilege or whatever you would call.
Speaker 3: It, like for their degree privilege?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I do think that there's different kinds of privileges because you look at certain people who are so smart and they get really farig in life. But then you look at other people who just aren't as intelligent, and so they don't go as feign life because they just aren't capable of doing the jobs that a super smart person is able to do. So yes, I would say pretty privilege is definitely a thing. I just think that the focus that Dave puts on it is solely a lot of times has to do with like influencers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and specific ones, because I even think of influencers that I follow, and they're not pretty. They just like wear vintage clothes or they are Disney people or whatever, and they just have their like niche. And I think his algorithm is feeding him hot influencers, so that's where he's getting his information from, versus you know, the grand scheme of pool of people who are on Instagram who don't fit that that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mold, what do you think you pretty boy?
Speaker 2: You No, I don't think I have a dog in the fight. I will just say I think off the twenty four years I've been on this earth. Yeah, Jenny, there's women or people that have advantages of pretty privilege. I don't know if it's to the extent that Dave does make it out to be, but I know that like like Alyssa, my girlfriend who is a just an objectively good looking person can walk through cub and have somebody look at her, or can say something in a maybe provocative way better and there will be more of a reaction than like the average Joe Schmoe or like one of these not pretty influencers that you see on your timeline, Bailey. Yeah, but like I said, I don't know about to the degree because it's not something that I've experienced.
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't say that that's a pretty privilege, like something that an advantage. Yeah, I would say being hollered at at cub Foods. That's actually the part of pretty privilege that sucks is like, I mean, whatever, to each their own. Everyone has a different life experience hands with it. So whatever you could say that like, oh, I feel so bad for you because you got hollered at a cub But truly it is frustrating, Like you should feel bad for people who are just trying to go about their daily lives and then they're getting not necessarily harassed, but almost harassed because they're just walking through the grocery store attractive.
Speaker 3: So yeah, anyways, thanks for.
Speaker 1: Your email, Allie, And we are a little bit low on emails here now we've gotten through most of them, so if you want to send us an email this week, it's going to be Bailey and I and then maybe volunt here and there.
Speaker 2: If you send emails for the three of us.
Speaker 1: I'll be here, so send them into ryanshow at KDIWB dot com.