Speaker 1: What if you were given a choice, a choice between life and death, but choosing life would mean enduring pain beyond comprehension. This is the survival story of Mary Vincent. The odds were most certainly not her favor, but when her attacker left her for dead after throwing her down a thirty foot embankment, she made a choice, a choice to choose life, a choice to not let evil prevail.
Speaker 2: Good warning the following podcast the graphic content materials in audience listener, just question. Hey guys, it's Nicole and this has.
Speaker 1: Been and you are listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: And just like that, we have a new intro boom boom boom. That was pretty pretty slick, well done.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, well I had to take a few takes. I'm not gonna lie because you can't fumble on a fucking intro like that.
Speaker 2: Well, third times a charm, though you nailed it on the third attempt. Yeah, there you go. It's kind of exciting. Actually, I enjoyed that. Yeah. I think it's a little little interesting way to give you guys a bit of a feeler for what we're gonna be talking about today.
Speaker 1: Instead of always being.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, it's Nicoll. Yeah. So and then sifting through our little bit of an intro of like yeapping and catching guys up on stuff, which we're still gonna do totally, but this way you at least get that understanding and what's.
Speaker 1: To come, yeah, and it kind of gets your little excitement of what's to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the blood flowing, the thought's going, you know, and the nerves and the hair in the back of your next standing up because no one likes to hear that kind of shit, because that's why you guys here listening.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited. I was a little jelly of your survival story, so I had to had to do one of my am because it's kind of fun to research.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think we should do some more survival stories.
Speaker 1: When the outcome isn't super gram, it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: It was, and it was actually really awesome to talk about someone who had strength like that and actually to come out on top. Oh so powerful stuff, no kidding. So yeah, we'll definitely be doing some more survival stories, and you guys should send us a request on survival story. If you guys have survival stories you want to hear specifically, hit us up, whether it's an email or whether it's an Instagram or something like that, just tell.
Speaker 1: Us we did get a couple after the last one, because I think people enjoyed it, so yeah, yes, a.
Speaker 2: Little more uplifting than hearing well, and then they fucking died and that sucks because that does fucking suck. Oh my gosh, well that's one way. Well it does. It fucking sucks here in that right, So yeah, over and over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just wanted to note before I forget. So last week we put two episodes out, yes, and the second one was the Lacy Peterson case, and that one is actually showing up below. What was your case again, Alison?
Speaker 2: I have fuck what's your last name? Oh no?
Speaker 1: Oh no, Yeah, so that Alison one came out first, and then Lacy Peterson, but it is showing in like a reversed order, So don't be mad at us. We did actually put two out there, just in that weird order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thank you for putting me on the spot there. You know I'm fucking horrible with names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you do it to me all the fucking time. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Sorry, So I guess I got what's coming to me. Yeah, I did want to touch on something else though. We've had a lot of questions over the last month or so about if we're going to be making an appearance at Crime Con in Las Vegas coming up this week. Unfortunately, we are not going to be in attendance at Crime con. However, we're thinking that we might see if we can maybe make an appearance next year. We're not guaranteeing anything because I mean, being up here in Canada and having to make the trip all the way down to Las Vegas, and especially with how COVID is playing out, who knows what it's going to be like next year. But we'll see, we'll see if maybe next year it could be the year that will make ourselves a little bit of public appearance there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I love Vegas. Super funny though went completely over my head because I know there was like some comments, oh like will we be hope to see you in Vegas, and I was like cool, Like that's so cool. I want asking him to Vegas. Like, I just had no idea what that meant.
Speaker 2: So you filled me in. Yeah, there we go. It's the Crime Convention. Yeah, that would be sweet. We totally want to go so it's just a matter of we got to make it happen. So yeah, if you guys are going to be a crime con, make sure you guys take lots of pictures. Tell us all about your experience down there, because we want to hear all about it. We're going to be living vicariously through you guys, so hit us up, let us know what happens. Yeah, it's probably amazing. Yeah, oh, you didn't inform me and where we are in a patron's list, that's your job we're supposed to doing before this. Who was our last patron? Who signed up last when we left off, Christina, Christina, Christina, thank you once again for signing up for you get double thanks. If you guys want to be on the list from people we thank for patrons, you can go ahead and sign up on Patreon for just like all these awesome people who get behind the scenes. And of course they get an extra podcast episode from us every month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last day of every month, so there's going to be one here on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an exclusive episode you can only find there, So sign up for that all access and you can go ahead and get that. But we have had a few more people sign up. So, starting with Michelle Miller, thank you very much for signing up. We appreciate your support. We got Tabitha, we have Ashley Laussen Laosing last names get me every time. There's always someone with an obscurely weird pronounced name or I'm just overthinking it.
Speaker 1: I know, well, I think it's very obvious that we are not the best at the name pronunciation around here.
Speaker 2: Not so much. We try, and it's not like it's obscure names by any means. It's just it's a little bit different, you know, a little unique or something like that, and it throws me for a little.
Speaker 1: Well, if you've never seen a word before, how the hell did you supposed to just know right away how to pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Fair Enough, every time I see someone's name and I don't want to pronounce it, I'm always just like, secretly in the back of my head I before eat except after, and that's the only one I can remember, so it never does need any good awesome, But after Ashley, we also have Kenny Thompson. So thank you very much for signing up for Patreon and giving us all that amazing support. Y'all are awesome. Y'all are incredible and wicked.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate it more than you could ever know.
Speaker 2: Oh, an incredible amount. So thank you, thank you, and thank you. What else we got is that it? I think? So yeah, I think we can move into this this epic case here. Well, maybe we should put on our listening caps and buckle our seatbelts and get into this crank case that you got prepared for us. I know, I'm actually kind of excited here. All right, we'll hit us up. Kind of story.
Speaker 1: Rejuvenated my true crime juices by doing a I like, a good one.
Speaker 2: A good one, A good one. Maybe not being sick helps too.
Speaker 1: That's actually very true. Not that like other ones aren't good and stuff, but it's just like the outcome is kind of nice.
Speaker 2: It's nice.
Speaker 1: It's a nice feeling. Okay, so let's dive in here, let's hear it. So it was September twenty ninth, nineteen seventy eight, when fifteen year old Mary Vincent decided to run away from home.
Speaker 2: Wow, fifteen, Hey, I know, that's so little. That's so little. That's like a child. It is a child. I was literally obsessed with Pokemon at fifteen and dragon ball Z. I'm thirty four and I'm still obsessed with those things. Yeah, all, you haven't changed, Yeah, never mind? Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And speaking of Las Vegas, she was living in Las Vegas at the time with her parents, who it was reported, were going through a messy divorce. Mary was one of seven children, and I think she had just had enough. She decided she needed some time away and would hitchhike to calif Wow, brave. She made it some way to Berkeley, California. But her final destination was Oh, I wrote that wrong here, Sorry, I'm already like.
Speaker 2: Wellna, I just want to say that. I was all like thinking final destination like the movies as soon as you said that, so that's where my brain went. Oh okay, Yeah, her final destination was there boom done, Just kidding what that didn't make any sense. First of all, I was trying to buy you time to look up when you're talking about and you just stared at me the whole time. And two, you clearly haven't seen Final Destination because the movie you feel like I have.
Speaker 1: We are, okay, we need to stop with this. Every podcast where I'm in trouble for shit.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched it.
Speaker 1: So anyway, her final freaking destination was Corona, California, where her grandfather lived.
Speaker 2: Oh, Corona, California. Corona. Oh, when you said Corona, I thought you were just like blaming COVID for some for you to forget.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I'm pretty sure it how you pronounce Corona. Now I should mention though a lot of reports have different variances of those events, and I freaking hate that one researching so some said she was leaving her grandfather's home and on route back to Las Vegas, rather than like her going to California. But either way, it's not super important because it does not change the trajectory of what is to happen. But I just thought I should knowe that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Mary was standing on the side of the road waiting for someone to stop and offer her a ride, which is when Lawrence Singleton comes into the picture. He slowed down his van. One report showed it is a white van with no windows in the back, so basically like a pedophile van. Like nowadays, that would just make you run for the hills, But I don't know if it would in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Like I was just about to say, of course he's driving a van and it's probably white too. Yeah, and yeah, of course, Okay.
Speaker 1: I also think hitchhiking was way more of a thing in the seventies. Yeah, it was, But cases like this, which is a big old hint for you, is what's made it not quite as a desirable mode of transportation nowadays.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Oh God.
Speaker 1: Don't hitchhike, please, for the love of God, whatever you do, don't hitchhike. Yeah, you never know who that is today's lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Lawrence was described as having a kind smile and presented a family man demeanor. He was a merchant seaman by trade, recently divorced by his second wife, and had a daughter around Mary's age, which he promptly shared with Mary. I'm sure making her feel pretty comfortable, right, Like, oh my goodness, this guy is like a father figure. He has a daughter the same age as me. Like, he's obviously good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, building up a report, building up relationship, seeming relatable, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was apparently heading to Reno, said he'd change. He'd happily, happily change, of course, to take her to the direction she was wanting to go, which I don't think is often how hitchhiking works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's suspicious.
Speaker 1: A little bit on the suspicious side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I'll just go ahead and give you a drive. I mean, I'm sure there's people out there who are willing to do that, but I don't think you should trust them. No, if someone's willing to go that far out of your way just off on a whim. When they just pick you up on the side of the road, there's probably ulterior motives, whether it's to murder you or just maybe they are just extremely hitting on you, But there's ulterior motives.
Speaker 1: I would say, so, yes, yeah, But Mary unfortunately accepted this and got into the van with Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: The ride started off fine. Mary was being taken in the direction she was going she wanted to go, and all seemed, well, this is really messed up. Though it wasn't until she sneezed that the first red flag would be raised. I mean, there's already been kind of some red flags. Mary apparently lit a cigarette, sneezed, and Lawrence reached over to feel her neck area, asking if she was sick.
Speaker 2: What the fuck like that's kind of fucked up? Yeah, no, kidding, kind of.
Speaker 1: Weird, but maybe kind of if he thought she was sick, he wouldn't have offered to give her a ride, Like, I understand that I don't want to stick motherfucker in my vehicle, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But why would someone's instinct be to reach over and grab your neck area when you're sick. Okay, Well, I wouldn't grab the neck, but i'd be like, are you sick? Are you sick? Neck area? You said neck? Yeah, like just like felt her neck, Okay, because I'm like, when you said neck area, I'm thinking like kind of collarbone, which could be like strangling. Well, if you're going for neck, I'm thinking strangling. If you're going lower towards collarbone and towards chest, I'm thinking So when you said neck area, I'm thinking between those two areas. Okay.
Speaker 1: No, it was like neck, Okay, like feel I don't know what exactly he was feeling for, Okay, if someone was sick, I guess your neck could be swollen.
Speaker 2: But that's a little bit weird. Okay. So it was a little more like aggressive than like a sensual Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, it was not like sensual. I would not I'm not what I gathered.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So this alarmed her. And as she didn't like physical contact, like, I mean, I don't think anyone will like that. But soon she was able to relax again, and she decided to take a nap. Oh, don't take a nap.
Speaker 2: Taking a nap in the stranger's white creepy van after he just made a grabty neck. Okay, let's just keep it wrong.
Speaker 1: I know, I feel like I would do anything h to stay awake in that moment.
Speaker 2: But sometimes when you're tired, you're tired. Yeah, But if you guys are ever finding yourself in a situation, don't take the nap. Don't nap, don't nap. You're probably gonna want to open the door, tuck and roll, or eat a snack. When I had you should everything eat, that is.
Speaker 1: But when I have trouble, like staying awake, like watching a movie, I just need a snack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: So when she woke up from her nap, she would realize they were not continuing on the route she was expecting.
Speaker 2: Them to travel. Should have had that snack, Yes.
Speaker 1: She should have had that snack. This would put her on the edge. Scared and angry. She found a sharp stick in the car and pointed it at Lawrence demanding he turned the van around and take her where she was wanting to go for fifteen years old, though, I honestly feel like that's quite impressive.
Speaker 2: No kidding, balls on her, that's impressive. Yeah, good on you, girl.
Speaker 1: Lawrence apparently calmly apologized and reassured Mary it was just an honest mistake.
Speaker 2: Just an honest mistake. Okay.
Speaker 1: She believed him, and the ride continued.
Speaker 2: Well, Devil's advocate here, even though I know I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand her point of view. Someone you just met hopping in the vehicle. Maybe he misunderstood the direction that you want to go. Maybe he thought you said something and not another thing. Depending on how much they discussed it, he could have honestly just taken a wrong turn as well. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Maybe he didn't know where the fuck he was going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm not saying it's unreasonable for her to trust him again after he says it's an honest mistake, because it's very plausible that if this was not a serial killer true crime podcast case, it could have been an honest missake. It could have been, Yes, but it was another red fleck. Yes, right of course.
Speaker 1: And if that hadn't put her on edge enough to somehow like if only that had put her on edge story enough to have removed her from that situation, like I just wish. At one point, Lawrence stopped the man to go to the bathroom, so Mary decided to take this opportunity as well to stretch her legs. She was outside outside of the van stretching her legs. She noticed that her shoe was untied, so she leaned down to tie it back up.
Speaker 2: He's coming up behind her, isn't he.
Speaker 1: As she was doing this, Lawrence snuck up behind her and stuck struck her across the head with a hammer.
Speaker 2: With a hammer with a hammerly escalated that.
Speaker 1: Alone could have killed her really, like getting hit on the back of your head could kill you quite easily, okay. He then forced his penis into her mouth and told her to perform oral sex or else she would die.
Speaker 2: This fucking skis bag like it real escalates here? Wow, okay, wow.
Speaker 1: From here, it doesn't get any better much worse. Actually, Lawrence drags Mary to the back of the van, where he rapes her, telling her not to scream or he'll kill her. He was making it very clear that she must obey him if she wanted to leave. After bounding Mary's hands behind her, Lawrence drives her a while before eventually stopping and cuts Mary free in his van. We're not particularly sure what it was, but Lawrence had some sort of unknown drink in a plastic jug, probably alcohol, but who knows if there was some sort of drug in there as well, right, he forced Mary to drink it. The drink made Mary woozy and confused. Lawrence then rapes her once again, repeatedly, actually fuck until she passes out. Wow, like a disgusting piece of trash.
Speaker 2: There are so many levels of absolute fucking I don't even know how to explain it to this.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Okay, like the fact that like he's disgusting, like just so disgusting. But also the fact that he has like a daughter the same age as Mary almost like brings this up a level.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was going through my head there, because it's not only that he's like, oh, you know she's young and playing off maybe like oh I didn't know how young she was. No, they have that conversation of my daughters around your age. So he went into this targeting that specifically.
Speaker 1: Which is just beyond disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then after that he goes on to do all this fucking horrific shit to her. Yep, wow, yeah, wow, Like he's a real winner.
Speaker 1: Like just you freaking wait, by the end of this, you're gonna despise him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We're probably just scratching the surface, aren't we. Yep, all right.
Speaker 1: When she regained consciousness sometime later, the terror was not even close to being over. She pleaded, like pleaded with Lawrence to set her free. He ordered her to lie on the edge of the road. I should mention too, I haven't mentioned this yet, but at this point, like she's buck naked, like completely naked, I assumed. He then begins to say, you want to be free, I'll set you free, and heads over to the van to grab something.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: He returns with an axe and proceeds to hold Mary down as she struggles, and chops her right arm off.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: He then moves on to her other arm and chops it off right.
Speaker 2: Below the elbow.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, that's like it's even tough to say, Like I can't even believe that someone would do that. Like Mary is literally living a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Right now. I'm like, I'm only a fraction of mind you, but I'm feeling like those hits as we're speaking right now, Like I'm not feeling the pain, but I'm like the discomfort of like, wow, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it wasn't like it's an axe, like so he was chopping, like it wasn't like one hit and like it's off. Yeah, Like I honestly the pain that that that that would be Oh, I just I.
Speaker 2: Just can't holy shit. Okay wow. He then throws, could have warned us heavy, it's heavy. It's heavy. Yeah, no kidding, everything we cover is heavy. Yeah. Yeah, you're right. You have a warning at the beginning. Do you need me to repeat it for you? No, No, you're right. There is definitely a warning at the beginning. But I was not prepared. Okay, I got my big boy pants on. We can do.
Speaker 1: I don't think I shared really anything of this case with you, So no, I didn't. Sorry, I should have warned you.
Speaker 2: It's good, It's all good.
Speaker 1: He then throws Mary's naked and battered body down a thirty foot embankment and stuffs are into a concrete pipe, saying, okay, you're free. What leaving her there to die. I'm sure in his mind there was zero chance that she would survive. Yeah, what he had done to her.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly. If there's anything that we just learned from Alice and BOTHA, people can survive some incredible things. People are amazing. Yeah. And if there's anything I've ever learned from cinema is if someone leaves someone to die, there is a chance they will not die. Absolutely. Yeah. Yeah, So we've had that conversation on any moment. Oh, if they don't show the person actually dying, they're not dead, I know. And you remind me of that so often because I'm like no, and I'm like, they didn't show the death dead.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now being that this is a badass victim survival case, I have said that clearly. I have a quote I wanted to share from Mary herself.
Speaker 2: She's clearly the badass.
Speaker 1: Of the day, right, more than the badass of the day. Yeah, like whoa. She says, he threw me off a cliff. I should have broken bones, I should have bled to death. I didn't, and I never passed out. I remember everything. I wanted to give up and go to sleep, but I felt someone there with me a presence who wanted me to survive, a voice that told me get up and get help or someone else would die.
Speaker 2: Wow. So she's not doing this for herself, no, no, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Her her fight to survive was basically so this monster wouldn't do this to someone else, which is incredible.
Speaker 2: That is beyond incredible. Like you're at your lowest of your low and your.
Speaker 1: Mindset is to like save someone, save someone else, like wow, wow, shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a fifteen year old girl. Yeah oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the other thing that's mind blowing is that she was fifteen.
Speaker 2: I can't believe she didn't even pass out. Yeah. Wow, I stubbed my toe and I'm like, kill me please.
Speaker 1: I know. This just makes me feel like sometimes I should just never complain about anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, but wow, Okay, continue.
Speaker 1: So I should mention too that the area Mary ended up being in was Dell Porta Canyon. Okay, So Mary miss mustered the strength to stand up and walk herself out of this situation. Wow, and she had Okay, get this, she had some amazing survival skills because she ended up shoving the ends of her arms into mud to suppress the bleeding.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Yeah, Wow, that is some good fucking instincts.
Speaker 1: Because I don't I don't think that I would thought of that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would have thought of that either, Like, I like, that's just wow. Wow. H I would have been like I would have been trying to stop the bleeding, but I don't think I would have ever thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you would have elevated, Yeah, but I don't know if you would like because like I mean, she would have had to been like submerging them. Like it's not like she can use her freaking hand to coat it.
Speaker 2: And shaitaking a raw stop and grinding it into blood yep. Holy fuck? Is she like Superwoman? I know? Right? Wow.
Speaker 1: She then followed the sounds of the nearby freeway, all while she was raising her arms as well above her head to keep the blading to a minimum. From the concrete pipe to her rescue. It was said she walked a total of three miles in the state that she was in. Shit like that is an eternity and let me refresh your memory. Because she had been hit on the back of the head initially repeatedly raped basically over the span of the night, forced to drink some sort of alcohol substance and had her arms chopped off with an axe. Wow, I mean, I don't know. I I honestly like I sepo, I think would be like I'm done, I'm out right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: So I believe like the presence of someone must have been with her, like she said, because that is impressive.
Speaker 2: That's superhuman, That's what that is.
Speaker 1: The first people she came across on the freeway, unfortunately, after getting a glimpse of her, sped away in fear.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I mean? She would have been a sight. She was completely nude, covered in blood and mud, not to mention what the severed limbs would look like. She would have been like a terrifying site. And she even later says she doesn't blame them.
Speaker 2: She would have been a terrifying site, for sure. I understand that. But someone who literally has their arms lopped off, what are they going to do?
Speaker 1: I know she would not have been of any threat threat that's the word. But like maybe like she like didn't even look human, really like she would have looked like she was from like a scary movie.
Speaker 2: Still, I don't know. So that they rove around her, I know, nuts ship there's a few parallels to their stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then she came across a couple who was traveling on vacation, and they did stop to help her. The saints that they were wrapped her in linens from their car and drove to a nearby airport where they could call an ambulance for help. At that point, all the strength Mary could muster was to keep saying that he raped me repeatedly.
Speaker 2: Fuck poor girl. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Once Mary got to the hospital, her bad assery continued, and she immediately started working with the police to help and find her attacker, even postponing her sleep and rest to get shit done. Wow, they drew a sketch. So the sketch that was drawn of Lawrence was so detailed that once it was released to the media. Yeah, he was immediately recognized and reported to the police, really immediately.
Speaker 2: Do we know who recognized him and reported him?
Speaker 1: Some like, there's a lot of things that were reports say different stuff, but the main one said that it was his neighbor who was also like a friend of his. Okay, shit, so I meant, I mean, at that point I think it'd be friends off.
Speaker 2: Well, imagine being like, oh shit, that's my neighbor and friend. Imagine the fucking horror going through your head. You report them, though, wuldn't you? Oh? Fuck yeah, yeah, report them? But I would be like, I've been friends with this person, I've been close with this person. What could they have done to me? This person has a fifteen year old daughter, same age as what he just did. This fucking unbelievable shit to this person. What has he done to this family? Like, oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Lawrence was then tracked down and arrested. There isn't a ton of information in regards to his trial. He claimed that Mary was a ten dollars a night whorer, so a sex worker, and didn't take any responsibility for the crime he committed, which honestly isn't really surprising.
Speaker 2: No, he just got even lower and I didn't think that was possible.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, just you fucking wait. He also claimed there had been someone else in the car, taking more blame off himself. Despite everything Mary had been through, she testified in court against Lawrence. Prior to court, she had been fitted with prosthetics, so in court she pointed one of her hooked prosthetic arms at Lawrence indicated who her attacker was. She never once referred to him by name, but always only as my attacker, which I do like. She never gave him the dignity of having a name. Really, it was just attack her.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not a person, and I.
Speaker 1: Even like hate saying his name.
Speaker 2: It's like she's literally taking the humanity away from him, which fucking shows even more strength on her. Like holy shit, yeap, wow, this girl is fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, love, she's amazing. After testifying, Mary quickly left the courtroom. As she was leaving, Lawrence very quietly mentioned something to her. He later admitted that what he said to her was I'll finish this job if it takes me the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck, fuck this guy.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, like I it's unbelievable, Like it's almost unbelievable here. Lawrence was convicted of multiple charges, including kidnapping, tempted murder, and rape, and was sentenced to the maximum sentence of fourteen years.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: The judge remarked that if they had the power, would have sent him away for his whole life for that years. That was at the time the maximum sentence he could have received.
Speaker 2: Rely, shit, and you said, he admitted to saying that he's going to finish the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, holy fuck, it gets worsted. Just keep listening here.
Speaker 2: Oh Okay.
Speaker 1: Mary had a tough time. I mean, the age of around fifteen is hard enough without having gone through what she did. Yeah, like, you're kind of just learning who the fuck you are really. She had trouble with her family, a tough time at school, and felt isolated and attended therapy for years. As soon as Mary graduated, she moved from her home, but she was always very secretive about her life and location and had trouble leaving her house.
Speaker 2: Rightfully, so, especially when in fourteen years, this fucking slima was going to be there probably after you. Yeah, I'm waiting for it and I know what's going to be coming.
Speaker 1: She had a lot of fear towards Lawrence, which got real fresh once again when he was released from prison after serving eight years fuck of his fourteen year sentence.
Speaker 2: Now this is going to be basically part two of her fucking horror story, because now she has a killer chasing her the fuck down right.
Speaker 1: Not to them, no, no, fuck, not quite. He was released early for good behavior, what like, I honestly don't care if he was an angel in there, no kidding, There is no way he should have been released early, considering what he did and what he had said to Marry in the court room.
Speaker 2: You were like, I'm so angry, I honestly missed. How long did he actually serve? Eight years? Eight years? Eight years? Eight years? Fuck? And once he was released, guess what he did? Went and fucking chased her down.
Speaker 1: No, this is this is wild, he sued Mary. What okay, I shouldn't be laughing at your freaking we need to be recording your face here. He felt he was the victim in the attack against Mary, and sued her for forcible kidnap for the purpose of robbery. He claimed he considered the alleged events and knew he was not guilty, saying he remembered Mary threatening to accuse him of rape and that she had held a stick to him. He felt that was the reason he had become violent.
Speaker 2: So therefore that gives him the right to chop off both her arms, kick her down a fucking cliff, and store her in a culvert. Even if even if what he says is true, now he has gone from self defense to fucking attempted murderer. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: Like, honestly, that blew my mind that he literally had the audacity to turn this around and think he's the victim.
Speaker 2: We've talked about some fucking, absolutely aroundous people on this podcast, Absolutely fucking disgusting. I honestly think this is the worst fucking excuse for a human being who's I've ever even learned about.
Speaker 1: Oh just yeah, wait till you see him. He just is disgusting. He's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck.
Speaker 1: Thankfully the suit never gained traction and the courts dismissed it. Yeah, like it needed to have been a laughing matter.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh god.
Speaker 1: There were many people upset about Lawrence's release. No one wanted him living in their town. Angry crowds would protest. Yeah, they made it so he wasn't welcome to rejoin society for his one year parole, and he had to live in a trailer on the grounds of the San Quentin Prison until his parole ended. His own daughter wanted him to remain in bars, which says a lot a lot. She she spoke at length about the nature of her father and what he was like as a dad. Upon his release, she had fled and hid an asked law enforcement if there was any way they could keep him behind bars for longer. This is a quote from his daughter. I asked California prison personnel what could be done to keep him in longer, and I was told there was nothing. They suggested I obtain a restraining order at the time of his release. Sorry, but I mean this quite sarcastically. I tell you he is a danger. I said that before the first crime. I've changed my name multiple times and in moving across state lines, and you all suggest a piece of paper that will tell him exactly where I am, what my name is, and not to come within the three hundred feet of me.
Speaker 2: Wow, she's got a very strong argument there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you might have noticed in that quote it says first crime, yeah, indicating there may be more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get to that in a minute. I first wanted to mention that due to the outrage and the support from Mary, California passed a new bill in nineteen eighty seven. It was called the Singleton Bill, which prevents the early release of offenders who have committed a crime with torture when torture is used, and carries a twenty five year to life sentence.
Speaker 2: Good fucking right.
Speaker 1: But like, I almost have trouble with that because, like, my god, if you have a bill like named and passed because of a crime that you committed, does that not mean that maybe you can be kept in prison, you would think. So.
Speaker 2: The problem is with something like that is like he's gone through court, he's already had his trial, that's his fair trial. Just because a law has changed afterwards doesn't mean you can go back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if it's changed because of him and his Actually I totally get you.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I'm just arguing for the sake of laws, sake on logistics, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I know I know exactly what you're doing about it. Just it blows my mind. Yeah, it's bullshit, And if only they did. After Lawrence finished his parole, he returned to Florida, where he was from, and in nineteen ninety he was convicted twice a theft in which he served time for. But that was nothing compared to what he did upon his release of those crimes.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: In the spring of nineteen ninety seven, Lawrence was reported as seen assaulting a woman in his home in Sulfur Springs when police responded. Lawrence was covered in blood and they found Roxanne Haines dead inside fuck off.
Speaker 2: She had been.
Speaker 1: Stabbed multiple times. Roxanne was a sex worker, but more importantly, a mother of three and the provider for her family.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. So someone who's literally just trying to make ends meet for their family and he just yeap. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it honestly, like I have goosebumps right now, but like it was inevitable that he would reoffend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, Please please tell me then he's permanently behind Bars's time.
Speaker 1: Mary traveled from California to Tampa on the state's dime to testify against Lawrence once again and had to share the details of her attack and the toll is taken on her life over the years. She was not obligated to do that, but she was, like, I'm doing that. Lawrence was sentenced to death, but died in two thousand and one at the age of seventy one from cancer or seventy four, sorry, from cancer.
Speaker 2: He's dead. Good, Yeah, he's dead. I don't like, don't get me wrong. I don't want to sit here and wish death upon anyone. However, he deserves to fucking rot. He does not deserve to be in fucking society. He does. He got what he deserved. Period.
Speaker 1: Some people like, I mean, I get rehabilitation, I get it, I get it. And some people can be rehabilitated, but then there are a lot of people that fucking cannot.
Speaker 2: No, they can't. And there's there's actual studies on some people with with severe mental issues, on things like who aren't legit psychopaths, And there's documents or sorry, there's documentaries documentaries. What's documentation documentaries? It just sounded really weird when I said anyways, there's films on people who are behind bars who've committed murders again and again and again, and they're like, yeah, don't let me out because I will fucking kill again.
Speaker 1: That's so bad, because I mean, honestly, if anyone was to have any empathy to anyone, it would be like.
Speaker 2: A father.
Speaker 1: Against a kid, a girl kid the same age as his own. Like that just shows to me, like how much of a monster he is.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, there's clearly some sort of chemical imbalance or disconnect somewhere within his brain, like you'd have to to be able to commit something so horrendous like.
Speaker 1: That, And honestly, Mary needed that death like she needed him to die, because that gave her some sense of closure.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, she needed that. Well, she'd be living for the rest of her life looking over her shoulder.
Speaker 1: Today, Mary is a mother of two boys. Her life has began to change for the better, and she has begun to heal and establish close relationships as her new family became her life. Along with being a victim's advocate in support of victims' rights, Mary is also an artist. As she described it, she's entering what she thinks of as her third face. First she was a victim, then a survivor, and now she's an artist. Being that she has no hands though this is like quite a feat right. She's used spare parts from broken down electronics to modify her prosthetics into custom designs that work for her and work for what she wants to do, which is amazing awesome. Her focus as an artist is to paint powerfully upbeat women. She creates her own version of female action figures. She also takes individual portraits for commission. She's happy to be moved past the label cast on her. While Lawrence was still alive, most people know her today because of who she is, not because of what happened to her her and assumed she was born the way she is.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So that's the story of Mary Vincent.
Speaker 2: So she's officially moved on from from her past. She's an artist now, she's a mother now, and she's she's Mary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I mean, there that is something terrible that happened to her. And I don't even think anyone would judge if like her life took a different turn.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, rightfully. So, I mean something like that that's gonna wear a lot of people down, and she's not even letting it hear down anymore. So, but like you say, his death probably was a big relief off her shoulder. That probably set her free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, honestly, like it would he would have just done more. Like I honestly think that he might have even done more, probably just hasn't never been found.
Speaker 2: There is some irony in that actually, because she wanted to be let free and he's like, well now you're free when he tried to kill her, but she was actually freed in his death. Yeah, there's some in that, actually, there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But honestly, like an incredible, superhuman and it just makes you feel like wow, like if you put your mind to something, you can do some powerful shit.
Speaker 2: No kidding, so wow, good on her for surviving. Mary. I'm really not expecting you to listen, but if you ever listen to this, holy shit, good on you. You're an inspiration, inspiration, incredibly strong, keep keep being you. Wow, there you go, So thanks so much for listening. Yeah, with that being said, we have Instagram, we have Facebook. All our social links are in the description of this podcast. You can find us on Patreon, where you can help support us and listen to extra content seems behind the scenes. That's our of good stuff. We appreciate whether you support there or just listen to us here, whether you want to rate the podcast on Apple podcast or on Spotify and can give us those ratings, and that helps us push and get it out to more people too. So thank you very much for everything you do for us, and as always, as always, stay wicked.