Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of March twenty fifth, we are kicking off or I was looking for a basketball shooting shooting off. No, that doesn't work, dunking, not quite, But anyway, we're starting a new showing the court. Yes, it's called Running Point on Netflix. It stars Kate Hudson. She is the daughter of the owner of a basketball team, and pretty quickly in the pilot she gets put in charge of the team for reasons of her older brother justin through being kind of a screw up, and so it's just, you know, the pilot, they set it up as kind of like her talking directly to the camera so she can introduce all of the people, which is kind of helpful, even to the point of like putting their names up on the screen. Yes, so she can spell out to us all of the important people. Dispense with that.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: You know, by the end of the episode, she has as she starts off like her first day, obviously being disrespected by anyone and everyone, but we had seen a small hint that as a child she was basketball savvy, you know, and was not was ignored. So by the end of the episode, she has set up this whole deal and made all these plans and you know, just kind of come in guns blazing, and it was I was like, okay, we're you're asking us to suspend a lot of dismally bear for her to have gotten to this point in like twenty four hours, but okay, well.
Speaker 1: It's a pilot. Yes, it has to some degree pilot disease, in which you have to set up the entire premise for a show in a very short period of time, so we allow, or I at least allow a pilot to be kind of clunky that way. Yeah, as long as where it ends up is a place I want to be, right, So you know, I forgive. Yes, it built into the premise that it is she's an unlikely owner, but look.
Speaker 2: Right, she actually knows what she's talking about.
Speaker 1: Her being stupid and dumped on that would not be a fun show to watch. And if it had, you know, if she was in the job when we started, that would not be fun to watch. So you have to sort of okay, all right, but she is very appealing. I always liked Kate Hudson mostly. I saw her in Almost Famous. I don't think I've seen any of her wrong cooms. But as they said on we listened to an episode of Extra Hot Grade about the show where they liked it, and they mentioned that she's just sort of a natural sitcom presence, and I found her very appealing. Yes, and did exactly what was called for. You know, you have to believe that she would be an unlikely choice for this, and that people wouldn't take her seriously, but that when it came down to it, she could deliver, and she did. Yeah, So and I enjoy seeing Brenda song. As you mentioned last week TV shows I watched with my daughter coming in with an adult role.
Speaker 2: Yes, good for her. Yeah, she was fun. I mean Justin Thru doesn't have a big part as the as the brother, but he's he's very funny too. I mean I didn't. I definitely don't think of him as a sitcom person.
Speaker 1: Did you watch The Leftovers?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't either, but I understand that was not a comedian never in any way.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe it was.
Speaker 1: So this seems like more fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, I thought it was fun. I laughed a lot. I would say, yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't take many notes because I was just sitting and enjoying. Yeah. So, and then we have at the end of the episode a character who has seemed very incidental of like just a worker at the stadium right or at the Anyway arena, just a random guy who cutely pops up here and there turns out to be a brother. So, yes, much to his surprise, and I'm sure next episode to everybody else's yes.
Speaker 2: He's playing the What was that the kid who was on Dancing with Stars? Who was Arnold Schwarzenegger's son was his whole like reason for being famous and being on Dancing with the Stars. Similar story with this guy, like, yeah, he's the kid that no one knew about, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that'll be interesting. I thought he was also appealing, so I'm happy to see more of him. And the annoying basketball player who with all the tattoos, who was going to get traded but she wanted him around. Is Chet Hanks, right, that's the one that's Chet.
Speaker 2: Hanks, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yes, Who is the son of Tom Hanks Rita Wilson?
Speaker 2: Yes, well I will just confirm.
Speaker 1: Yes, the not so well known son of Tom Hanks, right, Colin Hanks we all knew about. But I remember during COVID Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were somewhere in some foreign country and they got COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were in like Australia or somewhere.
Speaker 1: A statement about it was made by their son, Chet, and everybody was like, oh, Hanks has a sun Chat. Yes, and apparently based on that, he suddenly now has an acting career, so you go.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I was looking at what he had done before and it didn't look very promising.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's but he you're correct that he's the one who who plays that basketball players.
Speaker 1: An extremely unappealing character. But we trust that he will grow on us because she has made sure he stays around. So and she's got to be right. She's got to know something, She's got to have some instinct.
Speaker 2: So he sure doesn't look like Tom Hanks in any in any.
Speaker 1: Way, really doesn't. But okay, I'm pretty sure that's who that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no it is.
Speaker 1: And uh if if those are not his actual tattoos, uh, kudos and sympathies to the makeup artists right a way down.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Does he need sleeves? Really? Could he just get it? Just be one or two here and there?
Speaker 2: I wonder. I bet they have, like if they are you know, not real, they have like basically temporary tattoos where you could just I guess, you know, like you used to give your kids and you would have to sit there and hold like a washcloth on there.
Speaker 1: I used to give them to my would.
Speaker 2: You had to hold a washcloth on their on their hand or on their skin to make the tattoo stick for longer than you know they were really willing.
Speaker 1: To stillways gonna say that would let my son out because he you know, he has like a five second yeah stay still a capacity, right, And my daughter would probably not be interested. Whenever they would talk about tattoos, I would say needles. Yeah, pretty much the end of it. So even temporary ones not so interesting. But anyway, lots of from a parenting point of view, stuff on sibling dynamics.
Speaker 2: Yep, and uh, birth order. Even the coach gets in on the birth order. The coach is the one who prompts really a lot of the he's very this is kind of his thing. I guess, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the girl getting less respect and a girl and a family of boys, I guess right, but also having boy, you know, being interested in things like basketball. Yeah, not that you wouldn't naturally be, but I think probably if you're in a family of and it's your family business and stuff, why people would think that she knows nothing is well kind of to be expected, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, yeah. I mean it's just an assumption that people.
Speaker 1: Make yes, and the father not taking the daughter's interest. Seriously, don't do that dance?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is there a lesson today on the parenting podcasts? Got that out? Yeah, the certainly. Something that is of interest to parents right now was brought up, which is the toxicity of the internet, you know, and how they just don't go on there, just don't go on their kids. Just stay off, you know, you don't want to know what people are saying about you, and uh, you will feel worse after you've been on it. I am, you know, still on my h not quite on my social media fast entirely. I'm letting myself look at reels on Facebook, but I have not been on.
Speaker 2: X so gotcha, yami, because you know they're talking about you over there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they are. I'm quite popular, Yes, I'm, I'm. My name is on everybody's list. So yeah, just bed just as just as uh just as well. I don't see it right, nobody cares. Just the bots, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just just they're the only ones who like my work.
Speaker 2: Oh well, but I I enjoyed this. It was a fun watch.
Speaker 1: It was It's uh hard to it may be hard for us to analyze a whole lot because I think it's just sweet, yeah, and funny and irreverent and lots of cursing. But that's okay. It would be a nice relief after loss.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because that's what Wayne need. We thought about watching for our new watch the show The Pit, but it's another hour long drama that may have just amped up our anxiety a little too much.
Speaker 1: So that's right. We already have a pit. He's already pit and lost. We don't need another pit, even if this one has two teas. Yes, yeah it does. I see clips of it every now and then going by and went, yeah, it does not look like fun. Yeah it's I remember when R was a thing, and I did watch R and I enjoyed R. But it could be intense. Yes, if I've told this story before. But my mom was visiting and she does not like medical shows because she said they make a worry about that she's got the thing. And I said, oh, but this medical show is really good. This is really good. It's it's really you know, the the you know you'll be randomly interested. And it was the episode loves Labor's Love Oh No Died, just the most excruciating episode of er possible've ever made. Yeah, and she just I'm not sure she ever quite forget you. No, I am never watching something you say again.
Speaker 2: That's like the one episode of er that I could never watch again, Like, yes, because I did watch it. I watched yeah, pretty regularly everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was it was very but that was yeah, that was almost a okay, we're done. Yeah, but the worst one for her to watch. There was some it had like light and dark, but that one was just yeah, oh my gosh. So yes, I feel like the pit would probably be that way. Now. I'll watch Scrubs. Thanks, right, people NYE on that show too, But there's like, you know, I don't know, music and comedy in between.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm up for now. Parenting wise, they were talking about how to deal with the basketball player who was having trouble and he said he needs someone to be scared of to manage his behavior issues, right, And I mean, we certainly don't want kids to be scared of us as parents, But there is something to be said about authority, yes, or.
Speaker 2: Sternness.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Every now and then there would be somebody that would just I don't think that my kid was scared of them, but they just knew that there was no you know, the person just carried sufficient authority that it overrode whatever behavior ports in the brain were yes, Like, how do I get that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I do that. I want to be that person. It would usually be like an older man who just had a very serious way about him and wasn't stern or a nasty but just you know, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were just talking about this with my coworker the other day because she used to be a teacher and she says she's been told that she has like resting angry face, let's call it. And she said it did come in handy when she was a teacher because if if it was a time when all the kids were supposed to be, you know, sort of independently working, and they glanced her way, they'd be like, oh, snap to it. She's mad. She'd be like, yes, yes I am, I'm mad, Like get back to work or whatever. She'd be like, I used it to my FAI.
Speaker 1: Never know what's going to do it, but if you find it, it's so oh gratifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was like score.
Speaker 1: And then there was one scene I guess it was justin thru where he was in the hospital bed and she was talking to him about something and he said, I need you to stop because I don't care about any of that bleep yeah, and that she was like you know how happy she was to get this thing and how you know how much it meant to her and when she was a little girl and all that stuff, and uh, there's probably a nicer way to do it, But boy, isn't that There's so many times you feel like saying that, Oh, yeah, like you know, I know I have to let you talk this out because you know, emotions and good parenting and stuff like that. But I got it, Yeah, I get it on yes, And honestly, I'm sure there are lots of times my kids would like to say my daughter is starting to get there, you know, at age almost thirty five, to just be able to say, yeah, I get it right. You've told me that a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go get I'm just gonna go right. I don't care about any of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I definitely have one child who has struggles with the knowing when to stop talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see where you're going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just let's just let's just wrap it up. Yeah. Yeah, well, well should we wrap this up?
Speaker 1: Wrap this up?
Speaker 2: So next Wednesday we'll continue with Season one, Episode two, it's called Joe Peshi, so that's interesting. I don't know what that is supposed to meet And we'll see you, Yeah, we'll see you back here tomorrow for our Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or We're you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.